Speaker 1: You are listening to the IFH podcast Network. For more amazing filmmaking and screenwriting podcasts, just go to ifhpodcastnetwork dot com.
Speaker 2: You're cutting out? Can you repeat that? Go for production? Go for production? I said, go for production production. That's right. You're listening to a podcast about TV and film production. Join us as we converse with industry leaders and gain insight into their strategies, their systems, and best practices in bringing a script to life. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your host, Brendan Riley.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode to Go for Production. Today's guest is Jen's Jacob, film producer and entrepreneur. Many of Jen's projects include high end documentaries such as the Heart of Man, I'm Not Crazy, I'm Sick, and After Death. In addition to producing projects, Jens is the founder of Saturation io, a platform that empowers filmmakers with tools and resources when it comes to the world of production. Welcome to the show, Jens.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me, Brandon, It's a pleasure to be here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean this program that you founded many years ago, Saturation, I'm just really curious because I've used it a little bit. But I'm really excited to use it on my next project. And where did you get this idea of when you were in the middle of all these different projects, like what's the genesis of this program?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I've been producing for the last thirteen fourteen years, and through that I've had a lot of production experience and different types of productions, everything from music videos, commercials, features now and I think, like most producers, I just hated what I used. I wish I could take credit for how bad you know, what existed out there was. And I think I feel like any producer that I've talked to has had some gripe with their current systems, their current software, or their current tool sets, and you know, just going along the process, I think you get into these like sidebar conversations with people of how you know it could be better or what it could be and one day.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It was interesting because when we were working on commercials, everything was like high paced, like you're working on a commercial every two to three weeks and you're just constantly doing two or three commercials at a time. When we started doing Heart of mand things slowed down a little bit because doc took longer, and you know, it was it was two three years, not just like two three weeks of time. And that's where I felt like I was able to slow down a little bit to where I was able to take my idea of trying to I really just when I started, I wanted to make a collaborative version of movie Magic. I just hated this idea, and at the time, I was using another software called a hot Budget, and it was just really clunky how we would have to take files and then upload it to Dropbox and then sink it to another computer and that's how we would kind of collaborate. So I just wanted to try to find a Google sheet version of that. That That was my initial V one of the of the product, and I took a design I had a little bit of a design background. That's what I did before I was a filmmaker, and even while I was making films, I was really how I was paying bills early on, was still graphic design jobs that I would do to then like make certain short films and stuff like that early in my career. So I when I had designed kind of like a low level version of the of the software, I sent that out to one hundred different producers and I created a Google form survey, and I just wanted to see if it was like something worth even pursuing or not. I didn't know if it was just a dumb idea in my head or if this actually could solve in industries problems. And that survey that I did, about one hundred people filled it out and eighty percent of what I had designed was validated in that survey, And it is really what gave me the courage to take that to the next level, start putting money behind it, start putting time behind it, energy to now build what it is today.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. So maybe for the person out there that hasn't heard of the program Saturation, can you kind of just give the nuts and bolts of what can I do? We are the main features.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Saturation DI I always a collaborative based budgeting application. It helps unify all of your projects. It doesn't matter if you're working on a five thousand dollars music video or a fifty million dollar feature. You're able to now do this in one place and give selective access control to the various collaborators that you might have along the way. And really we want to get into all things financial management. So past budgeting. You can also get into cost tracking and actualization into the app, and this has traditionally been a fairly manual process in the industry, and we take certain modern practices like integrations and connecting to bank feeds and credit cards to help automate your actualization process. So it's trying to become like an all encopassing financial management system for projects and productions.
Speaker 3: And what's the main type of project that you find is using saturation right now? In terms of is there a certain specific budgets or.
Speaker 5: In all over the place, I would say a lot of people that are doing commercials, branding content and then indie level features is our current customer segment. We have a wide rate, variety and range of types of users. We've seen brands come into Saturation and use it.
Speaker 4: That was a.
Speaker 5: Surprise that I didn't realize or understand until we started marketing Saturation was that some of these brands now have production entities inside of the company where they'll have a head of production and a production team. So one of our customers is Snapchat. Snapchat has been able to unify a lot of their budgeting and production practices through Saturation. On the other end of the spectrum I've seen, Yeah, commercial companies use it. One that uses us a lot is Maximum Effort, which is Ryan Reynolds Production company. So we have a wide variety of types of companies and users using the platform currently.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of the things I really like about it, and I've only used parts of it, was the cost report function because I was able to jump into the software really quickly, upload my movie Magic files and just kind of do it quick.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a really good point because you know, as much as we are a budgeting tool, you can actually just import your budgets from other places, like if you're using movie Magic or Showbiz, and if you've already created the budget there, you could essentially do budget management and cost tracking inside of saturation as well. So it's a really good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you mentioned these like these brands and like independent features, you know a lot of times they don't have the tools or the resources that let's just say it a ten million dollar movie or thirty million dollar movie, because the ten million dollar movie, they're going to have an accounting team of five six people, right, And so you know as a producer that sometimes I work on smaller projects sometimes are bigger, but the smaller ones I need to rely on technology and software because I can't afford that second assistant accountant.
Speaker 5: Right now, That's right, Yeah, I mean it's so true. I mean, like you said, we're not studios. We don't have full on finance teams and full on accounting teams. Most of us are probably you know, it's the producing team that ends up handling a lot of the cost tracking, whether it's the producer or the production manager and the coordinators. And I tell people all the time, I became a filmmaker to be creative, and I ended.
Speaker 4: Up becoming an accountant.
Speaker 5: It's just because of all of this that you have to manually track. And one of the things that always got to me was a lot of this has to be manual because productions are almost like a business inside of a business, where you are pulling together a team that could be a bunch of different contractors, and you have selective access to finances. You may never fully have company level access to finances, and so you're kind of creating this entity inside of it. And even on feature films that's actually true, where you're having to create multiple LLCs for each film project and you're having to run these mini businesses essentially, and to your point, because of certain budget sizes and how you know, maybe a lot of indie teams and small businesses work, we just don't have the proper call it workforce and labor to do that. And so that's where technology really can help step into the gap. And even more recently with you know AI, in the last year or two, that's starting to come out. You know, it's the biggest question and of like how some of this might automate certain parts of our jobs, and we are looking into how that's going to play within financial management as well. So it's something that we're actively trying to seek how technology can help aid and make you a you know, a super user producer in terms of being really focused on what your unique skill sets is mine or your unique skill set shouldn't be that we know how to cost track. You know, that's that's not where the value proposition comes as a producer. It's this like weighted baggage that you're having to carry along the way along with the other extreme incredible skill sets that you provide and the maybe the real things that you actually want to do on set.
Speaker 4: My hope with.
Speaker 5: AI and you just never know where it's going to go. Is that it helps get rid of things you don't want to do and helps you really do what you do on it, you know, do on a production.
Speaker 3: So you know some one of the things I'm excited to play around with your software and use it on the next project is how it integrates with other software like QuickBooks or wrap book. Can you explain how how the integration works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, We've got a couple of different integrations so far, and our kind of thrust in saturation is to help automate the tedious tasks or you know, with integrations, provide the data flow instead of you having to manually enter the data into a spreadsheet. So whether that's incoming or outgoing, we just want you to get the data where you need it to go. So the examples of incoming are the integrations with movie Magic Import, Showbiz Import, and then we have other types of integrations like with bank feeds where you can connect bank accounts and credit cards and it'll actually just import all of your transactions over on the quick book side. You know what was really crappy for our company was we were doing sometimes double, if not triple the work in terms of what it looked like for cost tracking. We were doing it one time on the project side, which was you know, the immediate crew or whatever, and then we were doing it again at the company level, where they were either having to reference what the projects did and if not, you would have to then find ways to like manually just you know, code those transactions inside of QuickBooks. So our quick Books integration helps automate some of that. If you're starting to code and track some of those costs inside of your Saturation budget, it could actually automate that and category map that to the various account codes that you have in QuickBooks. And with wrap Book similar we are looking to integrate the payroll log and we actually have a way through CSV right now where you can just export a CSV from wrap book and import that into Saturation.
Speaker 3: Now, when I mentioned QuickBooks in film, in the film world, some people aren't familiar with that, but I've actually done several movies where QuickBooks is how I did a lot of the accounting, and I was able to take the entire movie Magic account code and import it. So I have all those codes, so you know, each time that I'm logging and transaction, maybe it's like a set purchase or a lighting rental, I can go ahead and connect that code to that purchase that item. Same thing with employees. And it's not ideal I think for larger projects, but you know, I think for movies under a million, maybe two million, you know, it can work, you know, and with with projects with programs like saturation and wrap book and they can all connect together. It makes a really unique finance solution that it's pretty easy to learn.
Speaker 4: You know. Yeah, it's a really good point.
Speaker 5: I mean most companies and most productions that like you're saying, like, if it's within a certain amount of transactions or under a certain budget, it's actually just easier to do it in something like QuickBooks, something that you may already know, something that you're already using for your company's accounting, and then when you need to you could you know, when you're tracking you know, tens of thousands of you know, different invoices and receipts and stuff like that, that's where you probably need something more production related, because the truth is in something like for most call it tax accounting and stuff like that, you don't need to track at that level of detail, but you do on a project because you are trying to track to make sure that like you are on budget and on time, and that you are beholden to whatever the investment is because you probably have call it a certain amount of time in mine that you have to be able to spend something. So that's where certain maybe more enterprise level production accounting tools are beneficial, but again you're gonna if you're at that level, you're probably having an accounting team do that. You're not going to go do that yourself in a enterprise level software.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess, like one example is let's say I'm doing a half million dollar movie or million dollar movie, and you have and I'm going to help the main producer execute the project, and then I might help a little bit during post but at the end of the day, that producer has to keep the LLC going for another year, another two years, and they need to be able to do basic accounting stuff, you know, file their taxes, get a P and L statement. And what's what's great about is if they already are familiar with quick books, they can go ahead and run those reports, you know, hand it off to their you know, their existing accountant. Whereas you know, the payroll companies that have these complicated accounting systems. Gets expensive to keep an accountant on forever and ever and ever to keep running these reports and things.
Speaker 4: It's so true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, again, it might be useful for a certain level of production, but you're right, like anything that's you know, under a certain budget amount or you know, even in my own production company, we've gotten it down to where our chart of accounts in quick books and what we do on a budget in a film are pretty much identical because we've been able to mirror it in a way that it just makes sense for our cost to be structured this way. And then it already is great for tax accounting and everything. Also, it's all kind of just streamlined.
Speaker 3: So Saturation, you know, you have the budgeting feature, you have the cost reporting feature, you're also doing these virtual cards and spending cards.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So a new feature release that we just had was expense management, where if you are already doing the budget inside of Saturation, you can use our expense management to automate your actualization process. So the cool thing is you can create these expense cards. You could do bill pay, and the beauty of it is if you create these expense cards, you can create them per project, and you can give them out to as many people as you want, and it gives a unique card number to each person, and then it automatically associates with that project every single time. So once you have it where you know you have you know, X, Y and Z project and you know Molly, Sam and Joe have their own cards. As soon as they're starting to spend, it's actually actualizing against the budget and you're seeing a real time report of how your your your budget it is doing instead of having to wait sometimes days, if not weeks for it to go through the accounting process and reconcile and and and come up with the cost report. It's a real time way of actualizing and and and and and getting reports to how you're spending.
Speaker 3: That's very cool.
Speaker 5: The other cool thing about that too is, uh it also automates some of the tedious things.
Speaker 4: UH.
Speaker 5: So we have a mobile app where you're able to see your cards, see your transactions, and then it automates everything from receipt management.
Speaker 4: Uh you know what you're spending, what your what your.
Speaker 5: How much you have left on the card and uh it gives you a push notification so as soon as you swipe the card you get, you get a push notification, you can scan the receipt in and it automatically will then associate with the right transaction. Uh So, a lot of things that we were chasing, you know, I'm sure you've the longer a receipt doesn't get submitted, the chances of you getting it is like next to nothing in terms of so a lot of this that shouldn't be a part of our job, but we are doing. Where we're trying to chase reimbursement requests, or chase the petty cash logs, or chase receipts and invoices. It's just a lot of this should be automated. You shouldn't have to have to like be so in the weeds of some of these things.
Speaker 3: I'm just curious of some of your users that you've had some of the different companies. What are some of the feedback you've had or success stories from using the product.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question. We've had some really cool ones. One I remember a guy who was very skeptical about it.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh, I.
Speaker 5: Could do all this in Google sheets, Like why do I need something like saturation for And I just said, hey, just try the free trial, you know, if you hate it, it was no cost you anyway. And so he just decided that he was going to copy and paste that all he did. He didn't even have to like fully budget something into it. He copied and paste his information over from his Google sheets into Saturation, only to find out that his formula was incorrect or something like that. In Google sheet that actually showed that he actually had more money you know, in his in his budget than than he had thought. So it's funny because when you relying on some of these like manual type of systems, you you were just maybe blindly trusting that it is correct, and it actually saved him a ton of money, you know, like just by transferring over an existing project inside of Saturation. I had another friend also that was he was telling me about this crazy story about how he had a Netflix production that he was doing, and it was it was a smaller budgeted project, but apparently two hundred fift thousand dollars went missing or something like that or just unaccounted for.
Speaker 4: They just didn't know where it went, and.
Speaker 5: They had to hold production until they kind of figured all that out and whatever time it took to reconcile that over and that was a pre saturation story that that he gave me that he was saying that a lot of this has been solved now using saturation. So it's cool to hear that it is doing what I was hoping for, that it's going to save you time and money, you know, at the end of the day. And if it could help automate, if it could help, you know, give you back time to do more projects or to be more creative, that's always the hope.
Speaker 4: So that that's two that come to mind.
Speaker 5: I mean, we had one even in my own production company, if I could be so transparent that we had some really unsafe money management practices in terms of like how we distribute money. And it's just the way that production works. It's this blind trust that you give until you can't trust them anymore and then you're hoping that they'll get blacklisted or something like that from the industry. That's just kind of how there's a circle of trust that production lives in. And in that circle of trust, a lot of companies like ours, and it was modeled after big companies that were doing this. Some of the main ways that they do expense management is they'll deal with petty cash, right, is the ability to give out cash and then get back the invoices and receipts, or you're dealing with reimbursements, or the third way commonly is you have a picture of your credit card and a picture of your ID on a PDF document that you then give out to contractors. It's the most insane thing if you tell this to anybody else outside of production, right, it's the most insane thing to say out loud. And it's always so funny to me because it's like, yeah, like there must be so many producers identity stolen or in identity fraud just from just this information being I have no short of one hundred people that have that PDF on their computers, you know, out in the ether, and I probably should, you know, like change my ID and all that. So it's just insane. And through that process, we did have a crew member steal money from us that we didn't know, and a lot of why we've built some of the feature set around the safety features of expense management came from our own experiences. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, it's unfortunate and it's meaningful enough that it sucks. But not meaningful enough that you're going to go through legal and sue somebody and all that. Right, Like, it was kind of a weird place to be. And I'm sure you know, different companies have various levels of experience with mishandling the money, but I think often what ends up happening in our industry is you're trading certain things for time because you needed to do things quickly, and you're throwing money at things to do things quickly because sometimes you have to do this within a couple of days, weeks, months, whatever it might be. And in that there could be some unsafe practices that are happening to do that quickly. And we didn't want the trade off to be speed and safety. We wanted to find ways for technology to help you do both. That you can be fast and you could be safe about how fast you are.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting that you talk about when you're starting a project, you know, you have to think about how you're going to approach that specific project. So, like, you know, one example is, you know, if I'm going to start a new movie or new commercial, maybe with people that are familiar with production, or maybe they're kind of new to the game, but I've got We've got to set up kind of rules of like, Okay, how are we going to pay people? Which pay well?
Speaker 4: Company? Were gonna use?
Speaker 3: When do people get paid? Is it Friday? Is it Thursday?
Speaker 4: Is it? You know?
Speaker 3: Do are we even going to use cash? You know, I try not to use cash if we don't have to, because it's a point, right, It's like, Okay, we're gonna we're gonna sell everybody that needs.
Speaker 4: Cash right right right, because then.
Speaker 3: I can track it. So So one thing I find myself constantly doing is when I'm starting a new project, you know, I have to sell the team that I'm working with on what programs are we to use? Are we going to use saturation? Are we're going to use this program over here? What is some pushback that you get from people that want to use it? Maybe the rest of the team isn't on board, Like how do you not convince them? But what what's your big sell that? Yeah it's a save time and money.
Speaker 4: But yeah it's a good point. Uh it's not easy.
Speaker 5: I you know, it's something that uh has taken some some time to fully understand. I think the biggest challenge that we have is most people are comfortable with the system, even if the system is inefficient. Comfortability will outweigh time and money sometimes. And you wouldn't think that at face value, because if I told you, Brandon, you could save you know, five thousand dollars this year, and you could actually save call it, five hours a week, you know, on financial management tasks, it would sound like a no brainer to you. It's like, oh, yeah, I'd be willing to take you know, a couple hours to learn this new system or whatever it might be. But I think just the nature of how and it gets even worse if you're busy. If you're constantly busy and you're constantly you don't want to mess something up, especially when it comes to like finances, and so you're going to go with what you're most comfortable with, right And that's why I believe movie magic still exists. It's not because it's the greatest tool to do everything that you need to do. It's because it works and it's a comfortable enough system that has worked for the industry. And you know, it's this if it's not broke, don't don't fix it kind of mentality. I think, uh, and I think that's going to phase out with a certain generation. To be honest, I think our generation that grew up with with technology, you're probably uh using newer technology in all other areas of your life, whether that's Google Calendar for calendar calendar, you're not using a physical calendar anymore, you know, uh, maybe something that's that that's not online, or to drop box or Google Drive, and how you think about file management versus like how it used to be just on your on your hard drive. And so I think this is a place that needs deep innovation and he needs a lot more to be done just because I think you can uh do a lot more in terms of.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 5: If you could, if you could see how much time you could gain back, what more could you put that towards it? Could it be more projects, Could it be more time spent on the creative with you know, your creative collaborators. And so I would say the biggest challenge is comfortability. I think we tried to make it as much of a no brainer as possible. And one of the no brainers is we have a completely free version of the app. So there's a version of it that if you don't really care to collaborate, you can do one project at a time and you could do a full project inside of it. So a lot of people do take advantage of that to do short films, to do you know, little commercials or one feature. You know, it's it's really easy to get started, and then for the full version it's there's a thirty day free trial.
Speaker 4: So between that, I think there's a.
Speaker 5: Call it low to no risk kind of way of adopting and learning saturation And if you already know stuff a Google sheet or you know, if you know basic spreadsheets, it's not that hard to transfer over to something like Saturation. And I think you can ask, you know, our users how much they love it, because they actively are telling us weekly, you know, how it's done this or that, or how it'd saved them, you know, this much time, and they do feel like it has drastically improved their financial management system, which you know, can drive a lot of people crazy.
Speaker 4: I know it did for me.
Speaker 5: I became a unqualified CFO of my company and I never wanted to be. I just was forced into it because I had somebody had to do it, and the producer was touching most of the finances, so it just was unfortunate, you know.
Speaker 3: I find myself when I'm building budgets now to really make an effort to see how much money I can put towards software that, you know, because I'm going to be hit with you know, five or six different programs that I want to be able to afford. And I find that it's really important to think of about that when you're building out these budgets that do you have, you know, because even a quick book subscription over the course of a year is expensive, right, right, And so it's like these things really do add up. And making sure that producers and line producers really think about all the different things that can help them, you know.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: What's that software that helps costumes sync on set, you know, and and props.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm always, you know, every time I do a project, you know, I get the ask we can we can we do this? And I've already budgeted because I've I'm used to the question. But you know, I think it's something to really think about.
Speaker 4: It's a really good point.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, in other types of places in your budget, you are trying to make sure every cost is detailed down to fringes and every you know, like meticulous costs that you can think of and software just should be one of those things that you should just already budget in and then it becomes a no brainer for you because it's not this added cost that you are taking on personally as a you know, as a producer that might be freelance, or as a company owner out of your company, you know, profits if you can build it into the budget, it really does. And I hope that any software that you use that the value of the software ten x is the price that it costs to pay for for it, right otherwise it doesn't really make sense. So whether it's something like Saturation or frame Io or whatever it might be, these are things that just you're going to probably have to like adapt to and utilize. Like I remember with frame Io when that was starting to come up. You know, we were as much as we were tech forward and we wanted to use all the latest software, we weren't thinking about it from a cost structure in how like it could just add up over the quotes of multiple projects. And to your point, we've had to now make these line items inside of a budget to make sure that we fully could utilize all of this in our in our workflow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always find myself trying to champion the software, not because I just love software. I mean, I do love software, but it's it's because you can have a better project and you can stay more organized, and you know there's things that software can help you, you know, stay on top of it. So like even going back to the sync on set, it's it's a program that allows for continuity, right, So if you don't have a program helping you, you could really mess up one scene and then that's an expensive one hundred thousand dollars reshoot, you know, right, so it's like, can you afford that fifty dollars whatever it is like to avoid this catastrophe? You know, same thing with finance and what you're offering is it's dialing in that that process of not waiting a week to get actuals, because that's that's what bogs me down, is trying to Okay, we got to take these different cards and we've got to reconcile them, and then we got to see what's the latest.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, it's so true. I mean, like you know, it can it can be just debilitating in terms of what you know you can or can't spend if you if you don't have all that up to date, and even I've seen people in the past where if you don't do it right the first time, you're paying ten times more in accountants cleaning it up and so like setting up the project right, using software to automate all of that, Creating the systems that that are financial practices and controls and managing actuals right is such an important part of the job. By the ways, you are going to spend a lot of wasted time and money trying to fix it later or communicate it later. The best time is in real time because you know what's happening right there, and then you may not remember what happened a month ago.
Speaker 4: Or two months ago. It's like, oh, what was this Amazon charge for? I mean, I don't know. You're gonna have to like.
Speaker 5: Dig deep and you're spending like two three hours trying to figure out what this random Amazon trailing charge was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. Today I'm actually doing an audit for a movie I shot two years ago, and seople dealing with looking at receives.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's gonna be over Oh that is insane.
Speaker 3: Oh, so, let's just say I'm curious about saturation from my next project. What are kind of the steps to learn about it, you know, tin train and figure it out? Like how long is the process to get up and going?
Speaker 5: Most people, if you if you come from something existing, whether it's a Google sheet or a hot budget or movie magic, it's pretty intuitive. I would say we prioritize our user experience in the UX to make it as easy as possible to jump right in. We do have video tutorial support articles. We also do demos to help you onboard your team, and we've done that with people like right before a production starts, will hop on a call with their team and run them through how to get their project ready for for saturation and so that that's common as well. So I would say it's it's a pretty low bar. Like I mentioned, we do have the you could sign up for a free trial, or you could you could sign up for the free account, and that allows you to just go right in and play.
Speaker 4: All you need is an email address and you can go right in and start playing around with it.
Speaker 5: So in that sense, you know, I've seen people, you know, when I'm about to give them the demo, give me the demo just because they already understood Oh yeah, it does all this Like, I've played around with it. I was just yesterday night and I you know, was able to make a mock budget. But we're definitely receptive to feedback where were A lot of our ethos is for producer by producer, and so you'll see constant updates on what we believe is useful to you because you're telling us what to build next. So yeah, we're constantly open to to any kind of feedback that that that that people have. I'd be curious, Brandon if, regardless of saturation, is there something in budgeting that you wish like software solved, or in what you do as a as a as a producer, or maybe something that saturation could add. We asked this a lot to different producers of like what sucks about what you're currently doing that could be automated or you know, could.
Speaker 3: Could be well, I mean it's like, I know how to actualize, you know, an entire budget, but when you're working on a bigger budget and let's say you have an art department and you've got to entrust them with a certain section of their budget or locations that sometimes be millions of dollars, it's the it's almost like you have to train people how to be how to do what you do. So it's like it's like there may not be a line producer in the location department, department or the art department, right because there's so but you have a maybe you have an art department coordinator or or a location coordinator or an ALM. So you want to try to find the best person right that that can be that conduit for the the actuals, I guess. And so it's it's always trying to for me, it's always not a pain point, but it's like I guess, it's trying to figure out how to we want to actualize the entire budget, not just not just the payroll, not just you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't know. It's a really good point.
Speaker 5: And I love what you said there because we actually do have a feature in Saturation that allowed you to I had mentioned at the beginning of the podcast that a lot of Saturation is collaboration with access control. So you could invite let's say, art department to our department's part of the budget and have them help with the actuals with this feature that we have called share View. So you can invite them into that just and they can all, you know, manage their costs and input all of that in there, and then you get to see it as kind of the overall producer in what they are inputting and instead of them doing it in a separate we've seen it commonly that you know, art department will do it in an Excel sheet or another like you know, spreadsheets, separate from whatever budget or cost track or that you're doing. And so this provides a unified approach to potentially be able to solve some part of that problem. I don't know if it fully solves what you're saying, And obviously there's a, like you're saying, a level of just understanding that you need to communicate constantly, I'm sure with new people. But hopefully that's a step in the right direction of solving that problem.
Speaker 3: I mean, to me, that sounds amazing because I do feel like it is like, Okay, our department, they're just going to create their own system, maybe make a news template. Maybe their actual system works, maybe it doesn't, But then I have to try to get that information from them when they're very busy, right yeah, And you know it's like, okay, well, how do I delicately ask them again? And again, where do you guys think you are on the budget?
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, And.
Speaker 5: The beauty of our expense management too is if they just use our payment rails, then you already have kind of access to all of that. With them, they're having to really do much in terms of manual processes there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think it's it's really important at the beginning of the project that you find those key people with with with the main departments that are going to be the people helping you actualize this and sit down and train them on a saturation yeah, and get them say, Okay, you're using this system and we're going to love it together and we're going to train and it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 5: The other part of what is useful about saturation is the integrations to the accounting tools, like we were talking about earlier. So that's kind of the last part that I can think of where it does a bit of an A to Z like you can you can budget, you can then do your expense management through here and then actualize and then connect it to accounting tools, and so it streamlines the entire process where it allows you know, what used to be kind of very tedious two three. You know times the data entry, you're doing the data entry once and then you're able to streamline that and put that all into here. So it's something that I would encourage people to just hop in and try and you know, create that system if you haven't already for your projects or your production and unify that because I think I've seen people they'll go from project to project kind of like slightly doing it a little different if they're you know, a company. But the more you can kind of systemize your approach to financial management, the better off you'll be in the long term.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. If somebody wants to find you online or saturation, what's the best way to do that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty easy if you google me gents Jacob. I think most of my handles are gents Jacob twenty four. Otherwise, website is saturation do io. You can sign up for free and yeah, our handles are also Saturation dio.
Speaker 3: Jens. It was a lot of fun learning about Saturation. I can't wait to use it on the next project and hope that it goes through the roof.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you, Brandon, my pleasure. Thanks for sharing with your audience.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening to another episode of Go for production. Please be sure to visit us online at Assistantdirecting dot com for additional articles, resources, and downloads. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe on Spotify or Apple podcast and share with your network