Speaker 1: He listen. Committic Who Go Podcast episode four sixty four on Brand told me he were thrilling to they We're gonna rock the Foundation now our theme sal so good. I love that movie, Newton Mayhem. Yeah's an amazing movie.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: It probably the best Inja Turtles movies and Secret of the Ouze, which is only good because it was bad. Anyway, Hey Ryan, We're back for yet another whirlwind adventure. How you doing good?
Speaker 2: What is going down?
Speaker 1: The whole ton is going down. We got a very exciting new set to talk about. We got some stories to tell, some people to thank, a whole bunch of really cool stuff we're gonna get into. But before we get to any of that stuff, we have to thank our official business Daddy's Fusion Gaming Online dot Com, your source for all your gaming needs. And we also have to thank Pile of Bones. It's the second coolest thing to come out of Regina and they are the official beer sponsor for c CEO Walk Slam Season two. Right here on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's it. You'd see Uncle Browndo yell if you're watching on YouTube, which should be because editor Joe works very, very hard and we do appreciate him just as much as we appreciate the business daddies over at Fusion Gaming CEO Summer promo code still in effect. They have not made me change it, and we're gonna ride summer as long as we can do.
Speaker 1: Not google that. Oh yeah, I guess not. Hey, no around here.
Speaker 2: Yeah we know a girl this summer around her Yeah okay, good thing she doesn't watch the show. I don't think she might. Yeah. Anyways, CEO Summer are gonna get a discount on literally everything you buy at at Fusion and doing so a saves you money, which everybody likes. Yeah, because everything's so god dang expensive, right now, heard that? And it lets the business daddies over at Fusion know that their partnership with c CEO with the goons from Saskatoon is a good one, which it is, yeah, very much, just as good as And I brought some today Quark beer from Pile of Bones. It's literally Canada's best beer.
Speaker 1: They just won an award for it for best Beer. Yeah, like how often does that happen? So if you're in somewhere where you can get this stuff, get some of it drinking. It actually is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much so would you say that? And I know what you'll say, but is all beer good?
Speaker 1: Well, because it's all beer, that's a complex question because in a way yes, but also in a way no, very.
Speaker 2: No, yes, well, quark beer very good. And I've got I've got a couple of little updates that that I've been working on behind the scenes that I haven't told Brando about. So it's gonna be a Cocio exclusive. But we got to thank producer Gary in the tooth booth, he's over there. We relegate him to the dark booth where he has to sit and think about what he's done. Do you think at least an.
Speaker 1: Hour, do you think he would ever put a banana peel on the sets that you'd break other leg so that he could be on the show again?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Hi? You know what? In uh in grade twelve, my buddies and I in in the because I went to a very big high school. Yeah, and the locker rooms and the gym's like in my school there's like four gyms, right, and a pool and everything is huge. And we on the hallway that goes into the locker room, me and my friends all down the different rolls were all like we were in the senior team row for like the track of football team and stuff, and just outside of there, we put a banana peel on the floor, real cartoon styleI.
Speaker 1: We just waited.
Speaker 2: Every day my buddy Kyle would eat a banana and he'd put his banana on the floor and the teacher would come in. Oh banana, nada. One day we got a guy all on the fricking banana. Oh so good, went right over like just like a whoop. Sorry, these guys slipped on a banana so good. Yeah. Anyways, uh yeah, maybe he would. I don't know. But anyway, I said, I had some updates, okay, and these are updates for you that I hope that you like and appreciate because I'm working hard for Uncle Brenda.
Speaker 1: What if I don't. Well, they involve beer, okay.
Speaker 2: I like your accessories.
Speaker 1: I like those two.
Speaker 2: And the CEO Experienced Calgary.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorite things. Is that next weekend.
Speaker 2: That's it's getting close. Yeah, there's two weekends or now November fifteen, sixteen seventeen is the CEO Experience Calgary. That is the Canadian Western Tour Championship weekend for all of the tryhards and the sweaty neck beards that want to try and qualify for the pro Tour. But us, we're sweaty butt crack commander players. We are gonna go and we're gonna be there too. Yeah, we're gonna be sweating along with the best of them, except we are the worst of them. Yes, and everybody's booked. Airbnb is booked.
Speaker 1: Tell you, I.
Speaker 2: Have compliments of our friends at Pile of Bones little care packs for everybody in in the CEO experience House.
Speaker 1: I hope the care package is just a minikeg.
Speaker 2: The care package does involve beer, maybe some Quark beer a minikeg in the actual keg. It involves merch, compliments of our friends at Pile of Bones. Okay, and I have been working on some new merch for the CEO booth, of which I assumed you wanted some. So I did take the liberty and order some in your size. Excellent, And I don't have a I don't have a graphic in my hand to show you. Oh well, but I did also order beer cooosies, yes, so we can keep our beer cold or warm, depending on how cold or warm it is outside. Because we are going to Calgary in November and we could see a blizzard, snowstorm, hundred k winds coming off the mountains, or.
Speaker 1: We could see literally the opposite, and it could have we could have flowers blooming on the side of the road in Calgary is.
Speaker 2: An insane place, in which case we will need to keep our beer cool.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so much, new t shirts, beer coozies, gift packs, compliments of pile of bones, all for the CEO experience Calgary. And if you're not part of the experience, of course, stop by the booth. We're gonna have some little mini games there for prizes. I'm ringing the necks of face to face games, for some booster packs and extra prize tickets and promos as we always have lots of come and see us, and some of the games will be for prizes. Some of the games will be here like different prizes will be like discounts for picking up some CECO merch. Gonna be lots of fun stuff, can.
Speaker 1: I tell you Stortin, Yes, he was thinking of I was gonna tell it on the pre show, but then I forgot because we were talking about really important stuff. What kind of important stuff. You'll have to check out the pre show.
Speaker 2: Or yesterday's pre show.
Speaker 1: So I bumped into a guy, sure, Conrad, you remember Conrad con Sad. Yes, he was telling me about him and Jesse Spears, another local try hard. Yes, he went down to a legacy tournament down in America and they played in this legacy tournament, number one prize and like recently within the last like this summer goes down and the prize was like some money because of course it's America and you can win money and a sealed revised pack. Oo ooh nice, right, Like, yeah, I want that. That's pretty cool. That's like a couple hundred dollars booster pack. Right. So they plays and they plays, and Conrad makes it to the final match. He's in the finals.
Speaker 2: He was con glad.
Speaker 1: He was con glad baby, and he they're gonna play and they're like, hey, man, do you want the pack? And he's like, whoa, you know, I kind of just want the money, what about you? And he's like why I kind of want the money too.
Speaker 2: They're talking about a split maybe.
Speaker 1: And there was another guy elsewhere in the tournament that wanted to pack, and you know why he wanted the pack? Ryan, No, do you know why he wanted the pack. So you see a nation, think of your answer in your head.
Speaker 2: Open flipp you do drinking.
Speaker 1: He wanted to open it, rip it and flip it. He wanted to open that revised pack. So what they did was they split the prize money. Who wanted the pack just bought it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Jesse and or cong Glad and the other guy got more money.
Speaker 1: They put there the money and then the guy opened the pack with everybody in the tournament, just so everybody got to sit. You know what he opened in that in that background.
Speaker 2: You know what he got? Rock egg?
Speaker 1: What he got? What magic carpet.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like underground scene, No, no, just making sure there wasn't a tropical island in there. No no tigers, no tundras, nope.
Speaker 1: We a fortune note absolutely not. Just a magic carpet. Magic carpet for those of us that aren't looking it up on the internet, worth forty cents. And the guy paid two hundred and forty United States Freedom units for that pack and then just felt sad. And you know what. You know what Conrad said after he looked at me, after he told me that story, he was like and then he understood what it was like to be you opening a booster pack brand.
Speaker 2: I believe the the buzzword, the industry word for that. Yeah, very excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but good on that guy.
Speaker 2: Man, he's sticking to his guns.
Speaker 1: Hey, he gambled and he lost.
Speaker 2: That is the thing.
Speaker 1: But it's a cool story that's on the internet forever now.
Speaker 2: There it is. Yeah, And if you don't want to gamble, and this is the last thing I'll say about it. If you don't want to gamble, the CEO Experience, the CECO booth that's gonna be there.
Speaker 1: Never gamble with your entertainment. We always deliver the merch booth.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have some special deals because I want to clear out some inventory space, you know how like I sometimes I'm like I got too much stuff in my house. Yes, we go to clear some inventory space. So we're gonna have deals in Calgary and then deals on the CEO store website so I can make room for some twenty twenty five merch. We've been teasing it amongst ourselves for a long time. Yeah, we're thinking about Kickstarter play mat play Matt Kickstarter number two. Yep, we're a soap and is c CEO sock bar of soap and a CEO sock Yes new dice to go along with the play mat, like color match dice. We're thinking about some of that merch because everybody keeps asking us for that stuff. And Kickstarter was so much fun and successful for us last time, and so twenty twenty five project.
Speaker 1: My favorite part of that, and this is gonna sound really weird, My favorite part of the Kickstarter that we did last time was the when we announced it or whatever on launch day when we sat at my kitchen table and we had to drop in like zoom session. That was super fun. And then the next thing when we when we had all the shirts and stuff already and we came and sat on the floor in your basement.
Speaker 2: Just surrounded all the play mats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: Of play mats because like one play MAT's not heavy, no, but when you get like hundreds of them, it's like freaking packed boxes. It's like a box filled with bricks.
Speaker 1: And is very heavy, with lots of it. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, foundations right after the final piece of business here. We mentioned it last week. I want to mention it again just so there's no surprises. The Patreon restructuring thing is coming on like November eleventh or thirteenth or something. They're switching over to their annual billing model. So if you've ever been wanting or worried or had questions about Patreon, they completely clear all of that up switching it to a monthly thing. You just select how much you want to pledge, and boom, you're done.
Speaker 1: It's easy.
Speaker 2: So if you want to pledge, if you want to support, if you like the content, if you want to get your CEO nickname benefit, if you want to get your invite to the discord, actual benefit the experience. There's going to be two three four CCO experiences next year that you can get into when you're a Patreon supporter.
Speaker 1: Hard next year? Can we say that now, like, where are we are doing it?
Speaker 2: I want to go hard. I want to go hard, but I will be honest, like I say to Gary, will jerk the curtain open a little bit. The patronage has been suffering. The merch sales have been a little bit slow, and that a little bit is how we subsidize the trips. Right. We offer the experience for so cheap because we've got a little bit of a travel reserve built up, and with things being expensive for everybody and patrons dropping, the budget will be tight. But if you do want to see all of those things, and if you want all of the content to continue the way that it has, Patreon and the CCO store best two ways to support.
Speaker 1: Little support goes a long way, very.
Speaker 2: Much so, right and coffee dot com. Is there YouTube membership. YouTube offers like a like a membership thing like Patreon as well, if that's what you want to do, Like, there's lots of options. You just look in the show notes.
Speaker 1: It's weird Foundations Foundation, No Magic now ten thousand feet up. This is our Yes, this is the return of the core set in a new, revamped kind of way. Because this isn't a rotational core set where like the sets around it and they will rotate out and then replaced with a new one. This one will be standard legal for five years. I thought it was three five, five, five years.
Speaker 2: That's still like a lifetime.
Speaker 1: That's a There are people who will begin playing Magic, invest all their spare money and time into it, play the game for quite a while, think they're gonna make it big on the pro tour. Not do that and quit magic, sell their whole collection. These cards will still be legal in standard.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, so that's depressing.
Speaker 1: No, that's great, that's good. But you said you can get it and have a whole life span of a hobby that you had a great deal of joy on us yea, and move on to something else, and you can actually still get some I'm not gonna say value, but some value out of the stuff that you've invested in, unlike before with previous standard sets, where you're gonna buy in, Yeah, spend three hundred bucks on your deck and then when it rotates, it's out. You're fucked.
Speaker 2: What he said, Now before we talk about cards and and and people think they're going to get a review that's not this show. That's going to be next week and next week looking at legends and special guest artists and good cards because they are printing good cards into the set like they like they were with core sets of old. But we both had some thoughts on what this set is means, what it represents for experienced and new players. I wanted to hear a little bit about the products and what you think of how it's all structured, because you had some like more in depth thoughts than I did.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, okay, Well, let's let's talk some of the pin into it. How you can go out if you want to excitement this set into your life.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Incitement means spend money so you can get the standard stuff. You got your set boosters, you got your collection boosters, yep, and you've got your in this one, actual jumpstart boosters. So these are the good jump starts that everybody likes, not the theme ones that kind of suck good good.
Speaker 2: These are like classic jumpies.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's lots of really great stuff. We'll talk about some of it either today and more of it in the coming weeks. We're gonna talk about the short cards that you can get. Then you've got instead of your starter deck, you have your starter deck building thing, which is a set bunch of cards that will build into two decks that you can then play with with all the instructions on how to take the loose cards that they've given you to build decks to taste that you can then play against one another. And I believe that's the one that comes with the ever popular clickie life wheels. People love those and they're hard to find. So here's a product that comes with once you can actually go out and get one, and in some cases that life wheel is probably gonna cost the same amount as this this starter thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then the other new one that they're coming out with is an instant.
Speaker 2: Collection, yes, which this is something that secondary retailers have done now for a while, right, Yeah, where it's like fifty bucks and you get fifty random rarers and three hundred uncommons and twenty of each basic land in a big white box. Right. This is not that, No, but it's it's a It is that, but it's not. It's from again ten thousand feet. This is something that Watsy has queued onto where it's like, hey, retailers are already doing this kind of just based on the extra stuff that they have. Let's make it a dedicated product. Yeah, right, And I think that that represents an excellent way right from the factory for new players, for moms and grandmas and grandpas and fathers who don't know anything about magic and they want to buy something for their thirteen year old kid who wants to play magic with his friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually like this product. I do tell us about it.
Speaker 1: That I think it's a great it's you're going to get it. It's hundreds of cards. I don't remember the exact number off the top of my head. I see if I can find it. It might be three hundred and seventy five or something. And there is a list, so you are going to get what's on the back of the box. And it's got staples from Standard, from Foundations, It's got some Commander cards, sol ring, our Kids Segment, all that kind of stuff, and then it'll come with the rules, insert and all that stuff that you need to just start building either EDH or Standard or whatever kind of deck that you want. Although it is admittedly aimed at Commander and Standard, and while some people have been saying, well, why are you putting a sol ring in there?
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the Beginner Box.
Speaker 1: Nope, that's that's a whole different thing. The Beginner Box was the previous thing where it sends you the stuff and teaches how to build start collection, and then the starter The starter collection is the one that comes with the clickie down wheel. Okay, one hundred and fifty plus cards, twenty six traditional foil cards, three play boosters, ninety basic lands, ten of which are the really cool arts that we're gonna talk about next week. Oh man, how to build a deck book that two reference cards, fourteen tokens, so probably tokens for all the cards that you're gonna get, and then the clicker wheel. Yeah, that is a cool idea. And I'm really really excited to see some people get their hands on those, specifically new players, to see if they're as good as I think they are. And I think that's a good idea, and I'm excited to see what a curated version of that looks like.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for that one, dude, I'm excited for the beginner box. Does it come with this little like is this like a playmat? Oh? No, the I bet you the, I bet you the the slip unfolds into like a little playmat. There's you know how uh for for people that are just listening and haven't seen it almost is like a sleeve that goes over the uh the bundle boxes.
Speaker 1: If it used to buy the old school bundles and they came with a book, they had like the thing that was slid out unfold into a poster. Yes, it unfolds into like.
Speaker 2: Into a playmat. Dude, I want to use this. I want to use this playmat and pretend we're moves at a pre released again, remember how fun that was?
Speaker 1: That was pretty fun? Actually, yeah that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: That was so fun. But it comes with Jumpstart boosters, and I bet you this product will be relatively cheap, and this will be the one that like when when we do the the interaction with like you know, you know what, the face to face events, when when they come over and say, hey, we've got like this games club from a school coming in. We want to have like a three round tournament or whatever. This is gonna be the product that they get. I would love to sit down and just pound some freakin' nubes at Jumpstart.
Speaker 1: Man, I always lose a jumpstart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I've ever lost a jumpstart.
Speaker 1: He didn't win in Vegas when we had the little tournament.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I did lose one. I did lose one round there made.
Speaker 1: It almost to the final, Yeah, the important one.
Speaker 2: And then you know it was a who was it? It was freaking' uh logan, Logan asked Hurts McGee and who who is he playing? In the Uh?
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter because Logan was Team Brando and he took the whole thing down.
Speaker 2: He did, and then you signed his butt cheeks I did. Gross. Okay, So then we got yeah, the regular boosters, We've got the regular bondles.
Speaker 1: All the other stuff that you expect is also to be.
Speaker 2: Found here pre release kid yep, yeah, as you would.
Speaker 1: Expect them to be. And again, remember this site, the set is legal for five years, so the odds are all this stuff is just going to be around, which is pretty cool. Yeah, you're not gonna see it, I'm hoping. I'm hoping you're not gonna see at your local game store or at Fusion or whatever your site of choices, which should be Fusion on the internet, but your local game store in your city. You're not going to see an empty space where foundations should be.
Speaker 2: I hope. So now, the only couple things that I have questions about with regards to specifically that is usually collector boosters, like collector booster packs, have one print run and then they're done. I don't know if that's the case. I haven't heard on any Magic News outlets. The jump starts and the bundles, and the booster boxes, the play boosters, those will all be available, but the collector boosters.
Speaker 1: They might be a little bit trickier, and for.
Speaker 2: That reason, foils and showcase treatments that are only available in collector boosters might be expensive. And the other thing, if we're talking about hashtag MTG finance and Magic Foundations, it's going to be around for five years and they've reintroduced with this product MSRP Manufacturer suggested retail price, and I like that because it sort of controls prices online, so people are like, oh, there's chase rares in this one product, I'm not gonna sell it for more, But it also insulates local game stores against I have these, It's year four, nobody's buying it anymore. I'm going to clear this out at like eighty percent off. Yeah it. But at the same time, like Walmart's gonna do that anyway, you can still.
Speaker 1: Do that as n lgs, you can do that. Yeah, I don't don't have to.
Speaker 2: But because because big box retailers, because online retailers, because small stores, because chase rares like new printings, because of the single print run of the collector packs. Like does MSRP even mean anything? And are people really unnecessarily kind of freaking out about it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, because I think there always kind of was an MSRP, just we didn't know what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, if there's no MSRP, how come every single online retailer charges the same amount for stuff exactly.
Speaker 1: Right, Like it's kind of it's one of those things. But here's what I was thinking about, this single run Collector Boosters. Yeah, I figure maybe that's each we'll call it year. Every year around this time when you want to refresh the core set. Maybe that's how they'll do it. Is they'll add different printings or different showcases and something.
Speaker 2: They'll do it different.
Speaker 1: Now, the run of the Collector Boosters, that could be neat. Yeah, and I can see that happening.
Speaker 2: You could almost have it like and I know Magic has never done this, maybe they never will, but think of like first edition Pokemon cards. Yeah, and then the second print run doesn't have the first edition stamp on it anymore, and those are the rare ones. Maybe you incentivize players to get the first edition ones. Maybe there's a second edition printing. Like, collectors aren't gonna like that, Retailers aren't gonna like that because you got to categorize cards differently, as if there isn't enough categories of cards already. But like other Magic invented the wheel, and then other retailers did what Magic did, and now Magic is going back to and doing what those guys did, like serialized sports cards and jersey swatches from game warn jerseys, and right like Magic's doing all of those things that that hockey cards did. Maybe they're going to borrow from Pokemon and say, hey, this is gonna be the first edition printing of Foundations, and then everything after this print runt will be maybe less money, maybe it'll be cheaper.
Speaker 1: What if you're two, three, four five it's whiteboarder, Oh that would be terrible.
Speaker 2: Hey no, no, all the whiteboarder guys are like, that's white out.
Speaker 1: Let me let me say the thing that I'm the most excited about this set because it's the first time I think a Magic set has ever attempted to do what Foundations is doing.
Speaker 2: And it's not that it's laying the foundations for this.
Speaker 1: Shut up, you get out Gary, back out here. Okay, here's what's doing. It is setting the floor for a format the Foundation found well, it's the power floor for a format standard will always be at least.
Speaker 2: I understand the proverbial floor. It's like the meta floor.
Speaker 1: It's the proverbial floor of how bad any card is gonna be. And I think it's also a mild attempt to say this is approximately how good we're trying to make other standard sets going forward.
Speaker 2: It's it is the metric by which other things are judged. Yeah, it sets the baseline.
Speaker 1: And because it's going to be around for so long, you might have like more common and I'm gonna say investing, but like in investing in a card or speculating on how good this is gonna be in standard coming going forward? Right, Yeah, because you know for a fact that burst lightning exists, Yes, so you never have to settle for shittier than burst lightning.
Speaker 2: Burst lightning is sorcery red three damage each opponent.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's an instant oh red, Oh I want to damage and it's got.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the new lightning both though, Yeah, yes, that's what I thought you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, burst lightning is like red to red red two damage to something at instant speed, and it's a kicker for five and it does four. Yes, right, I think I think I saw that that was being either way, whatever the thing is it's the floor. They'll never reprint something shittier than that, and if they do, you don't have to play it for five years. So it makes like this is this is the baseline for each burn, spell, counterspell, vanilla Green creature. There's like a.
Speaker 2: Twelve eight six or yeah, yeah, diculous.
Speaker 1: So it's telling us kind of where their their eyeballs are going, and it gives us that metaphorical floor of this is how this is where cards will be now for five years. And I think that's cool.
Speaker 2: I like, I got two I got two things. First thing, did I wonder if the camera SidD you see I just spit everywhere? Did you see that?
Speaker 1: Didn't see it?
Speaker 2: Second thing, and this is a criticism of coursets, and it's a concern that I've seen online that that plays right into what you're just talking about. And I have a note to talk about it. So it's interesting that you brought that up. The floor. This is the the new metric. This is I can't play anything that's worse than this because this is the metric. Like this is one point ozho on the scale of what you do in magic. Anything that's below a one point zero in power level. Let's call let's use that language you're looking for the power No, does this put you into a box? Does it simplify? Does it remove complexity? Does it make it I won't say easy, but does it make it less difficult? To say this is good or this is bad? Like let's just pretend there's a mono red Goblin burn deck and right when foundations plus whatever sets are alongside it in Standard? Right when foundation is the set? De jure, that's the deck and it's primarily a foundation's built deck. Okay, does it make it easier or harder to to build new decks? Does it make it more simple less complex? I want us initially say yes it does.
Speaker 1: I think it certainly does.
Speaker 2: Because it's like this, this is what magic is at its at its very core. Yes, right core set Right, But I want to say no upon further thought, because you're already doing that, just on a shorter timeline. Right now. The best deck in Standard? Is this is this jank deck or whatever I'm trying to build more powerful than it? Or does this is this a meta deck that I'm trying to beat a certain deck in the format and I don't care about other matchups? Right, Like, this is not really an EDH question, it's more of a standard style question. But instead of asking that question and kind of maintaining that status quo over a one year period of standard rotation or a three year period of standard rotation, depending on exactly your arrangement of cards, now it's over a five year period of standard rotation. Is that good or bad? I tend to think that longer rotation periods increase the range. Look at Legacy, right, Legacy very established dominant decks. There are decks that you know are the best decks that you do have to beat, which you have to Animator, you have to have to beat Omniscience, You've got to beat those cards, right, Which makes it seem like it's not very complex. Oh, I just have to either beat those decks or play those decks and knocket beat. Yes, but Legacy is arguably the most complex and nuanced format out of any magic format. Right.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like, yes, where you can look back at your game and you can actually see where the game went from here to here to hear to hear based on what manny you tap.
Speaker 2: And again, that makes it sound simpleful, simple, simpliful. That's reductive, right, And it seems like legacy based on its best deck nature or powerful deck nature is reductive. But it but when you try to do it in practice, it's hard. It's hard. It's like driving a race car. Here's my here's my automotive analogy for the week. Sure is, Oh man, all I have to do is drive really fast.
Speaker 1: I just have to go fast and turn left.
Speaker 2: That's really easy. Oh yeah, Okay, try and do that alongside one hundred other professional race car drivers. You'll get smoked every single time, twice on Sunday.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 2: Right. So for the people that are saying core sets are reductive, long, this long rotation window is going to be bad for standard as far as I look, even if it is, hold on, I got to finish this thought. Even if it is for those reasons, I think that the good that this set introduces outweighs the bad in that it's going to be affordable, it's gonna get the kind of new players we want into the game, the kinds of new players that are going to enter into the format, probably as young i'll say kids, but young adults, and a lot of those kids with their parents. Because it's going to be really easy for parents to pick up a product that they know is, oh, this is how I start. This is how we start. Right, And you're gonna see a dad and a kid at the LGS learning how to play a game, and they sit down with somebody like you or I and and they say, hey, we've we've played Foundations, we've played Jumpstart, we built standard decks, but we've heard about Commander. It seems like it's got more creativity, it's more expressive, and we say, join us. It's so much more rich and steeped in culture and imagination. It is the like the frontier of magic to talk more shit. Yeah, exactly. And that's the people that we want coming in. I'm not saying that we don't want the legacy players that are only playing Ceah and trying to pub stump for prizes. I'm not saying we don't want those people. But if I get the opportunity to sit down with a young adult and their parent and tell them about the culture behind Magic and how Commander is really this expressive and in some some ways life changing and never stops giving, that's what Foundations can introduced to people. I think that's very important.
Speaker 1: The rotation window is only extending for Foundations. The rest of the sets still whatever the I think it's rotation. I think whatever the rotation is, it's staying. Which is so like the your the cons and the Skylanders and the Spider Man's, they're all gonna rotate out and they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right, And all of those things I said are real. So they're all gonna rotate out. The Foundations still going to be there, so there will be a through line of cards. So if you the cards again that you've invested in, that you've bought over the course of two three years is before standard rotation. Once Standard rotates, your whole deck isn't just gone. The backbone of it will maybe still be the your removal package, you're some of your you know what I mean. There'll be core cards corset that will still ex I think that's really cool. And we're not a standard podcast, but I really do think that this set is going to be good for that format, which I believe has been struggling, and I think this might help not breathe life into it, but breathe confidence back into a player base. Oh yeah, I want to invest in all these cards and all this money in the best deck, only to have it each shit two years from now. Afterward, it's a band, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I like the breathing confidence into standard. I like that, like having the backbone of decks remain the backbone of decks. I like all of that. Is there stuff like that in other games? That's a question I had for you. And they could be digital games, because I know you're far more familiar with with like traditional gaming on consoles. But I'm thinking like D and D starter kits. I'm thinking of other complex board games that have like lots of pieces. I'm thinking of like Descent, which is like D and D Light. You get your little characters, you get your dungeon, you get your character cards pre made, and you go and play a board game that is kind of like D and D. But it's all in one package, correct, right? Does Warhammer have this? Can I just go and buy an army, like a starter army and a can I think I remember Laura telling me about scrimmage skrimages, skirmages where you buy like a mini army, you just go and fight another mini army.
Speaker 1: I was actually at I was at Dragon's Den yesterday.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a local game store in our city.
Speaker 1: And yes you can. They have little armies that are just in the box. There you go. This is a I don't understand all the terminology. I don't play Warhammer.
Speaker 2: Oh I wish I did. I wish I had the time and the money.
Speaker 1: To do that. It had a like a was a point value, but it had like this is, if you're playing at this level, this army will take you into the game and you can just play it. Yes, and so, yes you can do that. Yes, Descent does that. Yes, D and D does that. They give you the stuff to just enter you in, and it's at a price point that is I would say acceptable.
Speaker 2: I was gonna use the word acceptable and then add acceptable as something like a Christmas present from your grandma.
Speaker 1: Correct. And one thing about this again being legal for five years, all these cards are gonna be around the prices on a standard printing of any card in this set, I would assume will be.
Speaker 2: Very low, like a single.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're going to go out and buy singles from this set, they will be very affordable.
Speaker 2: And if you wanted to save five percent, you.
Speaker 1: Could go to Fusion and you see Ceo Summer or whatever the promo code is next year and save that five percent. And that's pretty cool. Even the cards like the Blasphemous Awakening, we'll talk about one.
Speaker 2: Go oh yeah, Black Black three Sorcery.
Speaker 1: You could sacks thirteen bros. Yes, cost one if yeah, thirteen bros in place.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like that card.
Speaker 1: It's blasphemous act, but it definitely kills.
Speaker 2: Everything unless some guys got fifteen creatures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean they probably don't. They probably they probably don't.
Speaker 2: Though there is a monogreen Sapreling legend.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't wait to play.
Speaker 2: He's got the funniest little art. He's got these little mushroom babies. Have you seen that one? Yes, I want to go old school and make a mono green Sapreling deck or a mono green Beast deck because those it's actually a grull card. It's got a it's got a Gruel Manna symbol in the textbox. Yeah. I want to go old school and do some of the stuff from I'll say my childhood, but what I mean is my magic childhood. First booster box being onslaught ever ever ever that I opened, and beasts were one of the creature types that mattered. It was a creature type matter set, and beast was the green creature type. And my friend had a beast deck, friend, Adam Man, he just he just railed us with it. And I want to I want to make a monogreen Saparling deck because Saperlings were big Ala invasion and Odyssey blocks. Yeah, and I want to do that. But not do jetmeir, not do riff not do you know, conclave tokens whatever. I just want mono green sapperlings, make freaking a thousand guys. You don't want to do Comal could put him in the nineties. Yeah, he's not a little mushroom guy, a little mushroom babies.
Speaker 1: Though, he's got kind of a mushroom shaped head.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh mushroom head.
Speaker 1: Do not google that. Don't google no, no, yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So good good forum.
Speaker 1: I'd say value wise, it's good. The health of the game. I think this is good. If you're somebody that's on the Internet right now, and I'm gonna categorize you as a whiner if you're whining about there being so many universes beyond if you want to see the most magic magic set that we're gonna see. I'm gonna say all year, this is it.
Speaker 2: I bet you this is it.
Speaker 1: This is the most magic themed, magic, feeling Magic, the Gathering set that we will see in the next calendar year.
Speaker 2: I agree, and and I'm going to expand on the theory behind that a little bit, do it. Okay, So, when you started playing magic and your relationship with magic isn't as like deep and insightful and penetrating as it is now sure, and you can't bend the rules and really flex your creativity within magic's rules set, then, like you can now correct, I would say magic is was a simpler thing at that time, just based on your command of the rules. Yes, Now if what if the set? What if the product did that for you and boiled it down to my two tumor folk is going to attack into your two to one one goblins, and this is going to feel very much like classical traditional high fantasy magic, but within familiar terms. I'm gonna see a bird's of paradise. I'm gonna see Alnimar elves, I'm gonna see a goblin dropkick guy, right, I'm gonna see all these traditional things when when I play Foundations Limited, let's say, or jump Start, I go back to jump Start because I enjoy it so much, and I play so much Jumpstart at the face to Face events, play jump Start at Coco Experiences, because usually we get like a blox. And I know that that's not Commander, but but it's gonna feel like Magic when you were young. And I really think that's inspirational. Not because I'm gonna get all these powerful cards that I'm gonna build decks out of, but because I'm gonna be excited to play magic in this new way. And there are thirty nine new Commanders, and I am gonna get some of those in Foundation Boosters and in Jumpstart packs, I'm gonna get those. And when I get the Beast one, when I get the Saparling one, I think it's an uncommon I'm gonna want to play them. I'm gonna want to build decks. I'm gonna want to go and find all my green Saparlink cards from two thousand and two and put them into a deck and see if I can make ten thousand sap and just be sad.
Speaker 1: Every turn when you put one spot count run shitt No.
Speaker 2: I'm not even gonna do those, no way, no, right, wow, Maybe I will, and I'll play Doubling Season probably, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. But it's inspirational because it's going to give me kind of that spark that I had when I was in middle school building decks out of what I had. Now, what I have is a whole arsenal of twenty years worth of magic playing and this new card that gave me the inspiration to spread all this stuff out on my office floor in my house and build like I'm thirteen again. And to me, that's exciting. And when I combine that with my seven year old son, who can read now and is interested in playing more complex board games. He can read, he can count, he knows he can keep track of like a rules of a game, and combine that with simpler magic over the next four or five years, combine that with the SpongeBob secret Layer that he already knows about and wants me to get for him. That that's gonna be my son's gateway into the game, right And and maybe maybe his first deck will be the Mono Green Sapraline deck or the Gruel Beast deck. Uncle Brando approved, I bet you, right, He's gonna give him his first brash tunder and say point this at your dad every time, right, And that's that's gonna be our collective relationship, is Brando and my son trying to beat me with with decks that I built for him. So that's what's exciting for me about it, because I'm not gonna play Standard. No, I'm gonna play Commander, and I'm gonna use these new cards with my son because hey, it's not really affordable for me either unless I just buy Foundations, right, And it's it's exciting for me for that reason.
Speaker 1: You know what you're gonna get. Also, we talked about you mentioned it. We broke in a bunch of times on the show. First podcast to ever break doubling season. Oh it's in Foundations, it is, are we yes? Oh good? Are we going to see sub twenty dollars doubling season for the first time in twenty years?
Speaker 2: I didn't know we were a comedy podcast.
Speaker 1: Could it happen? Could it happen? Though it could, it's a hypothetical possibility. They're going to be opening and I'll bet you not lot lots of those go into Standard decks.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm hoping I'm holding out for twenty dollars doubling season like.
Speaker 1: We could see it holding it's a hypothetical possibility.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about a few other cards that we've seen that I really like.
Speaker 1: And we said we weren't going to do the sets proper, So we're going to do the outside of the set proper where but cards you can still get when buying set set.
Speaker 2: Now, these are called special guests.
Speaker 1: Yes, before we say anything, I'm going to say that this is my favorite lineup of special guests yet. Well yeah, not all these cards or bangers, but they are all play I've seen every one of these cards played in decks and I play all but two of them.
Speaker 2: I think everyone is good except for one. They could have done better.
Speaker 1: Is it this one?
Speaker 2: No, it's this one? Anyways, let's okay, Okay, so special Guests we get them only in collector packs.
Speaker 1: Nope, you can get them in play boosters, any booster. Okay?
Speaker 2: Can I get them in foil in any booster?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. It's good to know we've got how many ten of them? And they are this is my favorite part. They are in the showcase frame treatments from different sets over the last however many years. And I love this because people who collect those or that showcase treatment get another one for their collection that they can get. Yeah, I like this for the same reason. But the opposite of that is, let's say there's one of these is Sphinx's Toutelage. It's a mill card in the Theough's Constellation showcase. If I see that, and I say, that's a beautiful magic card.
Speaker 1: That's the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: I want to get the rest of them now. And now I have this new little, random, little trinkety style, very obtainable collectible kind of set that I can go after, because, let's face it, collecting magic is daunting and overwhelming and expensive. Yes, so if I can go and get all like the heavy metal called time frame treatments, that's obtainable, it's cheap, it's it's cool to look at and showcase. You can frame them, you can put them in a binder page. I love that. And I'd like to go over the card selection with you and do it and where they were featured originally. See if you can see if you can knock it all out of the park here.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: The first one is condemned instant for white target attacking creature on the bottom of its owner's library. It's controller Yane's life equal to its toughness. Where did that frame come from?
Speaker 1: Strixaven?
Speaker 2: Strix Haven, there's mystical archives.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's mystical archive in Strixhaven. Not the Japanese like super Duper one, but like the Flowy Goldie Blukie one, those are cool. That's the card that I was like, is this the one that was kind of poopy? Because I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a good removal spell.
Speaker 1: It's what anybody play it, though I don't think I've seen somebody play that card in maybe ever.
Speaker 2: When you're up against swords and path yeah, you're not gonna get played. But if you're a deck that's very tricksy and light on mass removal, condemn goes in.
Speaker 1: But why do people play like Well, I guess people play generous Gift because it kills anything, yes, not just a creature that's attacking you.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, it's a fine card.
Speaker 1: We talked about Sphinx's Tootel lives. That's the constellation. Yeah, the milk card.
Speaker 2: Whenever you draw a card, target opponent Mills two. If the two are the same color, you repeat the process and prove at that four. That almost always Mills, somebody who's playing a model or two color deck and burvak and then you can go five blue draw than discards. So it's got the draw built right in.
Speaker 1: And it's an eminently playable card, as you just demonstrated. The next grim Tutor is next.
Speaker 2: That's a good card in the Caldheim heavy metal style.
Speaker 1: Blarry Black one. Search your library for card lose three life.
Speaker 2: Yep, pretty good, very good card, very powerful card and great reprint fifteen to twenty dollars card yep, right.
Speaker 1: And again eminently playable card.
Speaker 2: I play while including this next one three of the first four. This is Ember Cleave. This is a flash artifact equipment red Red four. It costs one less to cast for each attacking creature you control, so it costs red red and it auto equips and it gives plus one plus one and double strike.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so good. And it's in the storybrook frame from Eldraindrain.
Speaker 2: Yes, both al drains we've seen the same treatment.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm excited for this one because I don't have a foil Embercleve and I like this one better than a regular Embercleve, so in every way that this is a cool card. This is a cool card for me. I want one of these. Yeah, pretty bad. I cited for that one.
Speaker 2: I have a foil ember Cleve and Lord of Tresserhorn. Hell of a card in that deck because it instant kills you because he's a ten to four yep, he becomes an eleven to five double striker yep, and you immediately die. And I think I like this one better though. I've tried to stick to regular foils instead of showcase foil, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Well, what do you think I should do?
Speaker 1: I would get this one. It's a cooler. I like to picture on this one too. If you're watched on YouTube, which should be, you'll be able to see the picture. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really cool I like that one. This one's a great reprint too, because that card is actually getting expensive.
Speaker 1: Yes, expensive card, especially in foil. The foils are still not like super expensive, but they're in the tens of dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. Okay, next one, it's my favorite one. This one the common from Zenda Car is over two dollars now, yes, the common from Zenda Car, so extracurricular printings of this card have actually gone up to almost ten dollars. This is Goblin Bushwhacker, a one to one Goblin Warrior for Red kicker of Red. When this creature enters, if it was kicked creatures you control, get plus one plus oh and gain haste intel end of turn.
Speaker 1: Very good. And it's in the showcase frame from whatever the last.
Speaker 2: Zenda Car set was, Zendy Car Rising. That's the one Zenda Car Rising, so.
Speaker 1: Immediately fucking cool as that is my second favorite showcase treatment.
Speaker 2: At that one.
Speaker 1: I love that one.
Speaker 2: I love the art style. I don't like the frame. It seems like blase.
Speaker 1: Believe it or not. I actually have a full set now minus one of that showcase.
Speaker 2: Treatment, and you'll be getting this one because a full set B Goblin.
Speaker 1: B Goblin and see Goblin that I actually play in decks.
Speaker 2: Oh, see play.
Speaker 1: I actually play that card actively in more than one deck, right now. I really like that one.
Speaker 2: These do these come in foil and nonfoil?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, good, because this next one I play an anamar and it's my one hundred percent painted art deck. Yes, this one might be going in instead of my current copy of bloom Tender. It's a one one Elf Druid for green one tap, add a color of mana for each color of permanence among colored permanent.
Speaker 1: You control in the Art Deco style made famous in Gangsta set.
Speaker 2: Yes whatever that one was Streets of New Kopena. Yeah, I love this one. I love that Art Deco style, as I have talked about over and over now for two or three years, however long that's been. And this is a good one in a card that I play great reprint.
Speaker 1: I'm happy people are going to get it. Not my not my cup of tea because I wasn't a huge fan of the Art Deco style, sorry guys. But again, cool that people are going to be able to just open a bloom Tender and then have one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another twenty twenty dollars card. Yeah, next one is a twenty cent card. This is the big just miss. I think this is Paradise Druid, especially considering we have another like F and M promo or something of this, like a pimp version. This is another Elf Druid two to one for green one has hex proof as long as it's untapped and taps for a Mana of any color fine card.
Speaker 1: There's a fantastic mutate target in Aikoria standard. Back in the the the dark days when you would play magic online, you just mutate the shit out of this thing because nobody could kill it. And then you just keep mutating onto it. And the other guy was like, oh yeah, that cards are losing three, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And that's good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, then they die and then you could tap it for Manna and then they'd immediately kill your whole mutat pop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the tap it for Mana and then you just get blown out. This is in the art art nuevo style of Ravnak.
Speaker 1: Did they ever actually use that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, there's there's lots with the city like this kind of storybook city style backdrop.
Speaker 1: But that wasn't that just for the like Invade all Our One or March of the Machine when they just brought in the showcase the sets and Ravenic can never hang So.
Speaker 2: I think so, but that is the one for raven.
Speaker 1: It is Ravnica, but I don't think they've ever actually used it, and I think it's stupid.
Speaker 2: Or in the words of Brando, I hate it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: You very much have to cross your arms like this when you do it.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 2: I hate it, Okay, next to oh, really good. A Chroma's Memorial, Give it a read.
Speaker 1: A Chroma's Memorial is a legendary artifact for seven creatures you control have flying, first strike, vigilance, trample, haste and protection from black and protection from red.
Speaker 2: Expensive card, no rest, no mercy in what in the Dominaria stained glass treatment a fan favorite.
Speaker 1: I think Hayes even like the basic lands in that treatment are a couple of bucks for the non foil ones. People like that that showcase that's good.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, and they look so good in foil, right, stained glass and foil it goes hand in hand. It's like sunshining through your window in if you have stained glass.
Speaker 1: I guess I like everything about that card. It's like it's expensive, so it's cool that it gets a reprint. It's so good and it's not one of those cards. It's like, it's so good and it costs two sort of blows. Commander Games out. It's a cool finisher in decks that maybe don't have one. Yeah, I used it for a while in my Talks Real deck, but I was still trying to win by attacking with slugs before Nasgoul came out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I like NAS.
Speaker 1: And then because now I just when I make a bunch of slugs, I turn all the snugs and slugs into nasgules, and then all the nasguls get giant and and then I win.
Speaker 2: With Nas lugs slug goouls, slug gouls, sluggouls. Okay, next up I play this card.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is temporal manipulation. Another twenty isht dollar card.
Speaker 1: Done in the Neon Dynasty.
Speaker 2: One Showcase semi frame. Yeah, yeah, this is Blue Blue three Sorcery. Take an extra turn after this one. You know, my favorite part about this card is is it doesn't say target player takes an extra turn. No misdirections here, no no ext direction. I've had turns get stolen before when they say target player takes an extra turn, I just got all the way blown out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not good, not very much fun for your good friend Ryan.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's a good one. Good reprint.
Speaker 1: Few bucks saying this one. I think at one point was a few next one.
Speaker 2: Hold on at one point the portal second age version of temporal manipulations like one hundred dollars. Now it's like thirty five, but this Special Guest one is still forty. But you can get copies of this card for cheaper now, and this is only gonna help those copies correct.
Speaker 1: And the final one, fiend Artisan done in my very very most favorite showcase treatment the Ikoria comic book Big Time Monster Art. Fiend Artisan is essentially a crappy birthing pod on a one to one for two.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it gets plus one plus one for each creature card in your graveyard. So when you sacrifice to pod something way, it gets bigger. Yes, and good to cast because it's Gulgary Gulgary hybrid. So this card was like very popular in Standard for a while, so to put it back into standard I think is probably pretty cool. These are legal in standard, right? Are the Special Guests legal in Standard? Would they put it to poor open manipulation in Standard? Why would they put grim Grim two?
Speaker 1: Or they might not? Maybe these aren't legal in standard.
Speaker 2: Well, this was a standard playable card, so to put it in the standard set does make sense kind of like kind of as an homage, right, And.
Speaker 1: It's a cool card and it's a cool picture too.
Speaker 2: Cool picture, cool art. It does what gulgury does. It either beats it, pods it, it does graveyard stuff. This card's good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get me one of those two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you under have a collection.
Speaker 1: Of these, Yes, I have a full set of those, including the Triomes mind you.
Speaker 2: Yep. And the Fiend Artisan was anywhere between like five and fifteen dollars depending on which version you got foil nonfoil showcase. There's a secret layer of it, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah there was too, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, full arts. There's all versions of these cards, right, Like, there's so many fricking different versions. But that's why you get the vast price range in them, right, Yes, but I think I think all the cards are good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. There's no cards in here that you're gonna open one of them and be like, oh fuck. I mean at one point, yes, you're getting a common with a mythic rare stamp on it in Paradise, Druid and Condemn, but Goblin Bushwhacker as well. Actually yes, but all of these cards are eminently playable. They're very good and it's cool to see them if they're not in Standard whatever, but just have them come back with some neat treatments on. They make for cool collectible items and cards that you can These are those cards that you're gonna open one in like a pack when you're new and somebody don't want to trade you for this.
Speaker 2: I actually like that and think that it goes right along the theme. Now, if we analyze these from a Commander perspective, I'm a new player and I open this trying to build my standard deck. I can trade this to a Commander player. You want the foil Embercleve, you get the foil Embercleve. I build my standard deck with whatever stuff you open for the most recent Brando's Box opening. Yeah, right? Or the other way around is I open up Magic Foundations because I want to do Jumpstart or buy bundles or build with my son, and I get a cool piece for my Commander deck. Like, who doesn't want to open a grim Tutor?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Remember remember in Vegas when when Jared opened too grim Tutors, same pack, one non FOI one foil drank his whole drink because grim Tutor. Yeah, the last time I cast an Ember Cleve we It was the final game of the night at the LGS. I walked down to the Coachman licensed beverage room. You guys are already all there, yep. And I says to you, guys, say you guys Embercleve hell of a magic card. Everybody just like held up their drinks. Yeah that's a good cut. Yeah. I just I just one punched a guy who was at like forty life and zero commander damage.
Speaker 1: I won the game.
Speaker 2: I just killed them, just irrased, fricking killed them, right, So I want to open up that card, a Chromo's memorial, your your favorite card, bloom Tender going in my animal deck.
Speaker 1: There's so much stuff, Like if I opened any one of these, I could probably find a home for it in a deck I'm playing right now.
Speaker 2: You still got a mutate deck.
Speaker 1: I don't anymore. Oh yeah, it was too If they do more mutate cards, I feel like they won't, which makes me sad. I would rebuild it, but it's just.
Speaker 2: It's too too much thinking.
Speaker 1: And it's too easy to just rot. Like I'm explaining to people what everything does and they're just like, you know what. Because I'm sick of hearing you talk, I'm just going to kill your creature. But it doesn't do anything. I don't care. He has a cause elect I don't care. I just want that thing to go away. So you stop talking, Brando. Okay, you want to hear another fucking game story. Okay, So guy had never played before at the LGS on your h and M Halloween Knight, Halloween Knight, ol Spooky comes in with the Beamtown Bullies. He opened one, looked at dhreck dot com.
Speaker 2: And thought course Leveler and Eater of Days. Those are the two cards.
Speaker 1: How do you? What do I do with this deck? Okay? And he did that, and I knew that he was new because like he tried to counter a spell with an assassin's trophy, right, Like he knew how his deck worked, but like he didn't quite understand timing and all that kind of stuff yet. So okay, all right, and he's going to make a mistake, which is beautiful, beautiful. I'm playing my I'm playing my Niku Sharts into Clones deck, right, okay, And so Beamtown Bullies, for those of you who don't know, it's a dude that lets you put a creature from your graveyard into play under an opponent's control goaded yep, and typically will give them a level, or it'll come into player, move their library from the game and they lose, or.
Speaker 2: An Eater of Days enters the battlefield. Skip your next two turns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck oo, Like it's just terrible. So what this guy does is it's a fucking card. So there's three of us left in this game. And but he doesn't have level, or he doesn't have Eater of Days, he doesn't have any of that stuff, and he's been What he does have is like a path Raiser of Ulla Maug or something. It's like a can't be blocked by three or it has to be blocked at least three creatures. Annihilator three.
Speaker 2: Ooh, yeah, that's a good card.
Speaker 1: Key his card is not legendary.
Speaker 2: Oh no, forer Nico. Oh no.
Speaker 1: So he gives it to me thinking I'm gonna swing into this guy and he's gonna ah, he'll have to annihilate three and all. And I look at the guy, who obviously is gettet attacked by his crew, say hey, you want to see something funny and he says, yeah, I do, And I say two tap Nico exile this path, Raiser Revola mag what the hell it is? Okay, my nine shards are going to turn into copies of that path. I will attack each of.
Speaker 2: You for fucking eighty one forty. The important part here, Annihilator twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yes, that's the key was the one guy's at three, the other guys at four totally empty boards and three life.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like after the attacker before after.
Speaker 1: So I took them from full board state to literally nothing with one attack. It was so good. And the guys like, I should have read your commander, and I said, yes, you should have. You definitely should have read him before you decided to give that to me.
Speaker 2: Welcome to magic.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. Those are some good games. We played six games that night, oh wow, because we eventually ended up the Three Men Pod. All the games were pretty good. We had a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Games don't take very long when you have no freaking board and your life is three and your opponent's got nine nine nines.
Speaker 1: Yes, does not last long after that, Oh, lots of fun. I like stuff like so good.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you think? Final thought on Foundation?
Speaker 1: Final thought on Foundations. I am very excited for this set it's gonna come out while we're in Calgary, I think, so we'll probably be opening opening and flippying and dot drinking and some of this stuff. I don't I haven't seen any commanders that I personally want to build yet, but I am looking at lots of car.
Speaker 2: November fifteenth, twenty twenty four. So if you're in Calgary and you want to jumpy, I'll jumpy. I'll freaking take all your life.
Speaker 1: You want to. If you want to opening, I'm your man.
Speaker 2: If you want to open flippy dot drinky, We're right there for you.
Speaker 1: That's a whole house full of people that want to do that with.
Speaker 2: Very much so, and don't forget if you want to pick up the new c CEO beer coozy available at commander coocoat dot com. Now, if you want to keep your beer warm or cold as you open and or flip, oh and and and you will so.
Speaker 1: Beer cozies will keep a hot drink hot in the winter, yes, and a cold drink cold in the summer, yes, sir. How does it know? Science acience?
Speaker 2: And you know what my favorite part about about a beer coozie in the winter is that weather when you're kind of outside and and it's not cold enough for gloves yet. But if you're holding the beer out there, like at the fire the other night when you're over my house, nobody's wearing gloves. But by the time it's dark and in the evening, you're holding your beer and your hand is cold. I don't need a cool in that situation to keep my beer cold, but to keep my hand warm. So they also have the technology to keep your hands warm.
Speaker 1: Sorry for throwing so many beer cans into your fire pit.
Speaker 2: I fuck, I didn't even know that that happened.
Speaker 1: Good, But there are some beer cans in your because we didn't want Norray to come and like she was trying to lick all the beer out on the top of the can. You know dogs do that. Yeah, So instead of like so she couldn't do that, we smushed them up and we put them in the fire.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well she'll dig them out of there anyways.
Speaker 1: Well there's no beer left in them, so she can't get drunk. All right. We do not pause it support underage drinking here in the nation.
Speaker 2: Just us In and producer Gary Yes, yes, okay, well yeah, final thought. I'm excited it's coming out in Calgary also excited for that. Yes, I'm excited to get into cards next week. If you have got any Foundations decks either good for teaching new players or like the monogreen sapperling guy that I'm probably gonna be built with my kid, send him in Commander coco at gmail dot com. Or if you're a Patreon supporter, thank you very much. We very much appreciate it. You could put them in the discord. We've got some the appropriate deck list channels in there, and that's how head of podcasts decklist Procurement at Commander Cocotte Enterprises gets the deck lists and that makes his job easy.
Speaker 1: So I like it when my job is easy because I don't like to work hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much.
Speaker 1: One thing I do want to say my one complaint about this set. One complaint I have one, and this is it.
Speaker 2: We didn't do the strengths and weaknesses, but we kind of ran out of time.
Speaker 1: We'll do it next week. Sure they reprinted Blasphemous Act and not Chain Reaction, and I so badly want a new art for Chain Reaction that it hurts a little bit. So I really wish that they had to reprint it. That one it's a Blashemius and you're.
Speaker 2: Just going to have to blast theeme instead of chain.
Speaker 1: I do both, and quite frankly, interrel chain reaction wins me more games because it does more Damna.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I have to make one quick addendum. Oh do tell in Commander Cookout Night Nation. In the CCO Nation, we do both. Okay, take us out.
Speaker 1: We will do both. We will do cards, we will do excitement, and we will do probably beer after the show. That's three things, not two. So all is better than both, but we like to do all instead of both here in the Nation. Also, so if you have any thoughts on cards or sets or anything, leave them in the comments below. We'll read them, we'll bring them back, and we'll incorporate them into our thoughts that we're going to deliver to you on the next episode of Commander Cookout Podcast Spin our Thing