Speaker 1: Day two of the twilight Zone podcast Advent Calendar, and tonight we have a question from John Hayes and he says, well, it's a two part question. He says, if Charles Dickens were to write a Twilight Zone episode, what might it look like and be about? And b if Rod Sailing were to rewrite a Dickens novel, what might that look like? And how would it differ from the classic not counting Carol for another Christmas? Okay, thank you John for a great question or two questions. Emmy, I'm not a huge Charles Dickens guy. I have to admit I love a Christmas Carol. It's one of my favorite stories of all time. And I love that there's like a million versions of it and I try and you know, watch as many of them as I can. But I did read a bit of Dickens when I was a kid, but not that I have massive memories of. But I obviously now the cultural touchsdowns. What about you?
Speaker 2: So I'm the same. I don't think I've actually read any Dickens since I was at school, because you know, being British, it's kind of forced into you when you do English at school. But I'm kind of aware of the stories through various like osmosis and watching them and just general knowledge. So my answers are kind of going to come from a combination of those places. So I will apologize in advance if what I say is not one hundred percent accurate. I'm probably going to have all these sort of Dickens experts coming at me, but I apologize if I get anything a little bit wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry with the caveat that neither of us well vested in Charles Dickens, apart from probably a Christmas Carol, Let's go with party, because I haven't actually got an answer for pop B myself. But Emmy knew the assignment and she's done the work. She's the geek, so we're gonna go tens a piece. So, Emmy, if Charles Dickens were to write a Twilight Down episode, what might it look like and be about?
Speaker 2: So one of the things that struck me when I was thinking about this was actually how Charles Dickens and Rod Serling both really liked a twist in the tail. You know, they both they both really really enjoyed sort of having you believe something the entire time and then switching, a switch, a rooming around it at the end. But Dickens also really liked people getting their come up, and you know, he was quite a fan of that karmic justice aspect. If somebody was a really, really horrible person, they generally got punished at the end of a book two. So I think that if Dickens ever wrote an episode, it would probably be something similar to Death Has Revisited, where someone's done this really horrible, heinous, as bad as you could possibly do thing, thinks they've got away with it for their entire life, you know, I think that what they've done was right, and that actually the gods has smelled upon them this entire time, and it's fine. But then at the very end, just when they think they've got away with it and when they least expect it, the Twilight Zone kind of comes in and presents its own style of justice. So I think something along those lines. It's not a very specific answer, but I do think that that's the thing that both of them have in common, and I think that that is how Charles Dickens would probably write a Twilight's One episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've went with the only pretty much the only thing that I can, because what I do know about Dickens was he was very aware of the poverty that existed and the difference in wealth of people. And that's a very hot topic today as well. So it's kind of ripe for a twilight Zone. And I love a Christmas Carol, but let us think about Ebenezer Scrooge's office. He's got, you know, the people working in his office or whatever asking for a lump of coal to put on the fire. I probably wouldn't go with like Bob Cratchett himself, maybe that's too on the nose, but like, you know, third guy from the left, who's just sitting writing at his desk. And this guy he comes to work on Christmas Day because he needs the money, and he's sitting writing at his desk and he takes out a pot of ink from the cupboard, and it's like a you know, there's something about it, whatever that detail may be. This is a very roughly sketched idea.
Speaker 2: It's more detailed than my bigness. I'm enjoying it so far. Keep going.
Speaker 1: So he takes this pot of ink and he you know, he's got his quill and his piece of paper and he's got a list of all the debtors in the area. He you know, he's writing his list of Okay, so and so, ow is this much? So and so ow is this much? And there's just a strange quality about the writing on the on the page. And what he discovers is that and this is a mechanism that I'm not quite aware of yet, but he needs to discover that if he writes like their debt is lower, then it actually becomes lower. You know, maybe he could write about his own debt and you know, as a bit of a joke, he writes that it's zero when all of a sudden his clothes are better, or something like that, you know what I mean. So what he does is all the people that he knows in the town, he reduces their debt to zero with this twilight Zone, inc This is a couple of hundred people. You know, Scrooge has a lot of people in his book, so it could be two, three, four hundred people that he does this too. And he writes it down. He writes down the debt of everyone around in this squalid area of London, and he thinks this is going to be great, and he goes home that night there's nobody around, and he comes out the next day and he thinks that the streets are going to be empty because all these people have no debt and their lives will have been different now and they're in better places. But what he finds is that the streets are just as full as they wear before he'd done this, and the faces of the people are slightly different. You know, it's not quite the same, you know, the guy on the fruit and veg stall is a different guy. He might be similar, but it's not the same guy anymore. And what he realizes is that you can solve the problem for those people, there's always going to be more poor people to kind of take their place, if you like. The gap between poverty and wealth is huge, and it's a system that is rigged, so the cards are always stacked against you, you know, so that you can pull out as many poor people as you like, but there's always going to be another one to replace them, because the deck is stacked against you. And that's why he realizes when he walks out into London on Boxing day, and it's a you know, so it's a bit of a sad kind of realization for him, but that's my Charles Dickens Twilight. There.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is it's brilliant and depressing. That is intense. But I can see it. I can see this sort of this guy coming and thinking he's doing this really amazing thing. And actually it doesn't necessarily change things, it shifts things. I really like it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you're the only one who answered pop peage.
Speaker 2: Okay, again, my Dickens fairly limited, right, so I only had maybe about a handful of stories that I knew well enough to kind of tweaking to do things with. But I thought that if Rod Serling were to rewrite a Dickens novel, something like The Old Curiosity Shop would be good. But I'd like the ending to be more ambiguous. So for those who aren't as aware. In the novel, we have a young girl and our grandfather. They run a shop called the Old Curiosity Shop. It is a very Dickenzian shop, like Victorian London. And essentially one day they get booted out of their shop by this horrible man and they have to travel the country to try and escape the guy that took the shop from them. I mean, that's very much in a nutshell. There's a lot more to it. So there's a couple of things with this. So the end is really horrible and tragic when you know spoilers, Nell dies, the little girl dies in it. But I have liked to more ambiguous ending where we don't really know what happened because the way this was written. There was a huge backlash when it was published because it was done in serial form, so it was kind of like watching episodes of a very long drawn out story, and people had got really attached to Nell and that it was probably one of the first sort of big literary cliffhangers that existed in the world. There were people waiting on the docks in America for the newspapers and things to come from London to find out what had happened. And I think that that's the kind of thing that Rod Serling could probably, you know, do very very well. I actually liked the idea of him doing a long drawn out story where you're only finding out about it in tiny little segments and chunks. But I like the idea that he might have given us a bit more of an ambiguous ending. Now we know he liked a bit of a bleak ending. You know, things were not always happy enjoy in the Twilight Zone. But I think that he probably could have done something even more frustrating, you know, even instead of actually just saying, yeah, she died, the world's horrible, that's the end. I feel like rod Serling probably could have and would have given us a little element of hope there where we could have thought, you know, yes, the world is awful, but maybe Nell escapes this horrible awfulness, unlike the book where she absolutely does not. The entire the entirety of the Old Curiosity Shop is just depressing moment after depressing moments, so as is most Dickens. To be fair, you know, he wasn't a happy, jolly guy when it came to what he was writing most of the time. But I like that idea. I like the idea that a Rod Serling could have written something that's a bit drawn out and we're only finding out about it in little chunks at a time, like individual chapters. I think he could have pulled that off really well. And I do I wish that instead of it being yeah, Nell died through horrible circumstances, he had you know, almost kind of like a Willoughby situation maybe where you just you don't really know what's happened at the end. Has she gone to a better place? Has she not? I quite like that sort of magical Rod Serling spin on it.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's beautifully pot and thankfully we've ended done a more hopeful now than my Christmas Boxing Day tragedy Dickens episode. Thank you, Amy, Melida