Speaker 1: Can you imagine anything that would get you to stop eating meat? And when I say meat, I mean steak, beef, pork, anything, chicken, meat, meat.
Speaker 2: So this is going vegetarian, not having to go vegan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, I mean I mean that that would be your choice with how far you wanted to go.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like just becoming a non meat eater.
Speaker 4: I mean unless it was like a hard and fest order from a doctor where you're like, listen, you are in a bad way. If you want to live, you got to go vegetarian.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a fair answer. I'll accept that as a name. I don't see that in your future. No, you're too healthy, but I could. That is a fair answer as to what would get somebody to stop you eat meat.
Speaker 3: I've seen you eat meat.
Speaker 2: Well, Tyler's backed off on it. Never last year, Elliott, you're forgetting you for a couple of weeks claimed well because it was you and your immature you claimed I had gone vegetarian. But do you remember that you kept saying vegetarian.
Speaker 3: That's right, but you but you do eat meat.
Speaker 2: I do eat meat. But I could definitely if a doctor told me. Doctor's orders all the time. But if someone said.
Speaker 3: Well, told Diane she was gonna die if she ate me.
Speaker 2: For your well being, I would definitely cut it out. That was sort of the reason that I have limited myself since a check up last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you still eat chicken, you still eat pork.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I could definitely. Going back to a few weeks ago, I told you about the PTSD workers in slaughterhouses, face right, and I got messages from people that said, I don't think I'll ever eat meat again. So could could I perhaps be exposed to the horrors of that industry so much so that I can't move forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But those I couldn't vision that, I couldn't, you know what, Like there's there's like yes, there are every so often you see like a bad, grainy video that comes out of a hyeah. Yeah, and that hasn't stopped me.
Speaker 3: I think if I was in one, I would never go visit a slaughterhouse. God, now, I would never go visit a slaughterhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't say I was scheduling it for a weekend trip. But if for some reason I had to, it may be so awful that I couldn't remember the picture I painted of the skinning of the cow who was delivering the baby.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, that's right. Yeah, No, that's bad, that's bad. Has anybody that reminds me? Though?
Speaker 1: Has anybody seen what is the documentary called Dominion?
Speaker 3: Have we talked about dominion before?
Speaker 2: Dominion sound familiar?
Speaker 3: Dominion? Dominion doesn't have that.
Speaker 2: There's so many things named that the uh newer.
Speaker 1: I don't know how old it is. I don't know how old it is. Is this twenty eighteen, I mean that's relatively new.
Speaker 4: Drones and hidden cameras, insign Australian slaughterhouses and macro farms.
Speaker 3: Doesn't somebody famous voice?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Isn't there a famous voice?
Speaker 4: Oh it's not Leev Schreiber. I'd listened to it. Don Joaquin Phoenix?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Maybe is he a vegetarian?
Speaker 2: If you're doing this movie, by the.
Speaker 3: Oh you would have to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although you know what, for the right paycheck, I would do it.
Speaker 3: Hey don't eat meat, y'all?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't want to see sad little piggies.
Speaker 1: The no. No, But they said, we're like, if you go back to if you go back to like the slaughterhouse videos where a lot of them are grainy and snuck in and it's like a lapel camera or something. I guess Dominion from what I was reading, is very very like high Death and like like right up close.
Speaker 3: I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: I won't watch it, but they said that one compared to like all the other slaughterhouse videos that you see, Dominion is like it gets you, like they said you could see. And I guess like they talk about like the pigs and stuff and listen, I don't know what goes on in the slaughterhouse. And I don't know if what I read about what you see in Dominion is true or not.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could just be hyperbole.
Speaker 1: Like I don't really believe they just throw the pigs against walls.
Speaker 6: Anyway, anyway, you've made me vegetarian for the weekend. No way, no way.
Speaker 1: But so I was reading this thing yesterday where they were talking about as much push as there has been in the last let's call it handful of years to back off on meat, on meat eating. You have impossible, this impossible, meatless, mondays the tofu what is it? What's the what is the sister two? Impossible like impossible.
Speaker 2: Meatyond beyond.
Speaker 3: We more meat now than we've ever eaten in our lives.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, ingrats, guys.
Speaker 1: Meat meat consumption is is higher than ever. And they said there's been so much push over the last like they'll they'll say close to a decade, like all the stuff about like free range and slaughterhouses and food food plants and stuff like that, for all of the press around that, and for all of the hype around impossible and beyond and like all that other crap. We more meat now than ever before. So that begged the question is there anything that would make you stop?
Speaker 3: And if I'm answering, honestly, I think the answer.
Speaker 6: Is no, even if a doctor told you, yeah, no, I mean that that to me, I know it's extreme. That is that is an extreme case. I never though, but that would really that would really be it. I never found myself craving meat.
Speaker 3: Are you serious? Wait, you don't crave it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I don't really have food cravings like I'll be hungry or oh I need to eat. But it's not something that I then seek out because I feel like I really need to have it.
Speaker 3: Like all week I've been further from that.
Speaker 2: All we could have been craving a beer and I can't wait to have a beer today. But I don't drink during the week, so I do have alcohol cravings.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: When did you know there was a problem when I stated that out loud.
Speaker 3: No, So, yeah, no, I understand.
Speaker 2: That, But I never when it comes to meat. So if somebody provided me with a source of protein, and they have, and even if it was something a little out there. Remember years ago we talked to the author of the book on eating insects. Right, if that kind and if stuff became more commonplace, I wouldn't be opposed.
Speaker 1: To it, to being a vegetarian.
Speaker 2: To a welcoming differents into my diet, right because I really never say to myself I need a hamburger or I need chicken, or it's it's it's not something I'm like, oh god, let's go get a steak.
Speaker 1: No, you know what, I'm with you part of the way, Like I won't sit there and go like I am craving a steak, but I will go, oh, you know what sounds good for dinner tonight?
Speaker 3: Steak a potato. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, but it's not because I'm craving just it's because I'm craving a meal.
Speaker 2: This is really interesting.
Speaker 1: There is meat in the meal. Why because I ain't a vegetarian.
Speaker 2: This says that animal rights groups have largely given up on trying to change people's diets, thank you, because it was ineffective. Yes, we more meat than ever. Since the seventies, advocates poured a lot of resources into persuading people to go vegetarian or vegan, expensive advertising campaigns, pamphlets, lectures, letters. But now they've shifted their focus towards banning some of these And you alluded to them egregious factory farm practices.
Speaker 1: Right, So their whole mission now is instead of changing people one by one, it's changing mass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've changed trying to change the system versus the people within the food chain.
Speaker 1: You know what I never think about in credit to me? No, No, But you know what I never think about. I don't think I never think about like that. What's the old expression how the sausage is made. I don't know what happens to pigs based on dominion. They just throw them against walls.
Speaker 4: If I think about like steak or burger, it'll ruin it for me for a couple of day.
Speaker 3: Because of how it's done. Nope, But the fact that it's just a cow crave them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 1: But if you think about they take that cow and they bolt him, then you're like, I.
Speaker 3: Can't do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the baby cows the oh veal? Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Oh, how big of you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I just because of that?
Speaker 3: Because of what?
Speaker 4: Because it's baby cows and they're they're brutalized.
Speaker 3: As opposed to the pigs that are just thrown against the wall.
Speaker 2: I don't think a pig's that way.
Speaker 3: What is if meal is a baby cow? Is there a baby piglet?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What do I? Yeah? What do I eat there?
Speaker 2: I've never heard of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like and the answer may be nothing. The answer may be nothing. But if because everybody does there like, oh I won't eat veal, I won't eat veal.
Speaker 3: I had veal last weekend. It was fantastic. I love.
Speaker 2: Would this be a suckling pig?
Speaker 3: I don't know that I've ever had, but I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was the baby?
Speaker 3: What is? What is suckling pig? Have I had that? I definitely had pork?
Speaker 2: Rinds says this says that the tenderness and the incomparable moistness is something you cannot find in any other dish.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm craving. I want a suckling pig. I gotta know what that But but you don't get the whole pig.
Speaker 6: Baby ham not I love ham.
Speaker 2: You definitely have it with its legs out and it served to you. It looks like it's a it's a very Spanish.
Speaker 3: Does it get served like a like like a like a cornish hen?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh okay?
Speaker 2: Or like squab the claw?
Speaker 3: That's okay, Diane, that's a pigeon. That's a pigeon.
Speaker 2: So this is big in it says Spain, Italy, Germany and Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Oh excellent?
Speaker 1: Who that?
Speaker 3: Who they want?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: They want that cycling pig? No, Gretna, looks like pigs live there, pig sty Uh?
Speaker 3: Where am I going? Christen? You'll nothing wouldn't get you to stop eating meat? No, thank you? Kristin Her, I don't know. Hi, Elliott the morning?
Speaker 2: Is this me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: Who's this?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 7: This is Mallory. I was calm because like twenty years ago, when I was a vegetarian, I read the book Dominion, and it's actually by Matthew Scully, who was like the senior speechwriter for Bush for a year, right, and it's going over like how humans domain, you know, are dominant of the earth. But then also it touches on like fur trades all sorts of like cruelty and stuff, but then also goes back to like religious you know, teachings that men is higher than animals.
Speaker 2: Regardless.
Speaker 7: It's a really thick book.
Speaker 3: But it's very good.
Speaker 7: And I'm not a vegetari anymore.
Speaker 2: I just got hungry.
Speaker 4: What was the first meal that switched you?
Speaker 7: Taco bell I.
Speaker 3: Had a girl, a girl.
Speaker 1: Why did you just think, like I'm renting the food, I'm not eating it. I gotta come out.
Speaker 7: Hey what is the I mean, it's not really pure beef anyway?
Speaker 3: So is is dominion? What flipped you to vegetarian?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 8: Uh No, I saw the videos when I was young, right, Yeah, it's Peda videos, you know, And yeah, I just I spent time at like farm sanctuary when I was eighteen, still when I was a vegetarian of like rescued farm animals, you know, and it is true like just you know, dogs and cats are you know, pets, but the other farm animals they're very friendly now their own personalities, but you know, to each their own I was never the kind of person to push being a vegetarian or anything on anybody else, because that's just I mean listening, you know, be.
Speaker 3: A vegetarian, be a vegetarian. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: All right, Very good, very good, Thank you, ma'am, thank you, yes, Kyler.
Speaker 2: I continue to read about Coach and Eel, which is the oh you're into the suckling buckling pig in Spain, which apparently Ernest Hemingway loved, but it says customers are incredulous that it is even pork because it evokes tastes of duck or really moist turkey. And then it's sealed by this crispy outer skin.
Speaker 1: Oh see, now, can I tell you what's going through my head right now?
Speaker 2: Crispy skin?
Speaker 3: No, I hear that.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, you know what, you know, it would be good while I'm watching the draft tonight, peking Gourmet load up on a duck. That sounds good. Now everybody keeps mentioning steak. You know where I want to go? Also, like now now I'm craving ato' one chop house and Tysons fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Says when it's butterflied, is rubbed with olive oil, garlic, salt, and thyme.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cooked in two stages, once for about an hour in a clay dish alongside the fire or on a grate, and later after it is cool to brown the skin.
Speaker 3: Here, Peggy, Peggy, pe Piggy peey, Here Peggy Peggy.
Speaker 2: Pek Christin. What was the experiment you were a part of in Collins?
Speaker 3: Oh, let's turn Kristin on. This will be good.
Speaker 1: Oh was it beating up vegetarians? Yes, hi, Kristen, good morning.
Speaker 3: What were you in in college? We I can't remember.
Speaker 5: What class it was, if it was my ethics class or what, but a I remember my whole class was sitting there and our teacher was like, hey, so we're gonna put our books away today. We have a documentary we're going to watch. And it was like based off of the slaughterhouses and things like that.
Speaker 3: So on the huge pro how about write a note and get me out of that.
Speaker 5: So on the big projection screen, we watched this movie. It was over an hour, and the creators and the producers of all the movie were there and they were they went around to each of us and we're like drilling it. Now are you gonna eat meat, and we're all like, yeah. I think there was maybe one girl who was a lab and she like got up and cried and.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, for those of you that don't have a glossary book at home, that's a whiney ass bitch, weak ass week ass bitch.
Speaker 3: Sorry, weak ass bitch.
Speaker 5: But then the rest of us were like, hey, you guys want to go for burgers? And we left the class and went out.
Speaker 3: So I was in this thing that I was reading.
Speaker 1: They showed a bunch of They showed a bunch of people that Dominion movie and just kind of followed up with them. For some people, it had about a week long effect and that was it, and then everybody else was right back into uh eating the food, right back into it.
Speaker 2: Short lived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and again more than ever and all you've heard. And you see those pictures of the cows that have like the gas tank cap on their side to let the gases.
Speaker 3: Out, Yeah, awesome, I got no problem with that. The I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's anything that would get me to stop eating meat. I can't think of anything.
Speaker 2: And for this thing you read, is that sort of the conclusion They came to that with all these options of.
Speaker 1: And options and I don't want to say education information, all of that and the push for over a decade and how hard it was, and yes, meatless mondays and impossible this and beyond that and foe this and tofu and everything. We eat more meat than ever And so even this whole thing that I read was is it even possible to convince people to stop eating meat?
Speaker 3: Desprite all the problems with meat, we are eating more and more of it.
Speaker 1: And then they go on and say could this change people's mind? They get into dominion, and the answer when they'd showed dominion people was no. Yes.
Speaker 5: Kristen, I will say the documentary was like, I'm like, oh my gosh, I can't believe the animals are mistreated so badly. I do know it's not like that everywhere, sure, but all I wanted was a burger.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I hear you. I'd eat while I'm watching the movie. WHOA see myself doing it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Time from Feliciano. We are serving suckling pig today at the Virginia Portuguese Community Center. You are welcome to come by and try it for lunch. Jam Buenos the US count me there. That sounds great. Where is that? Are you familiar with that center?
Speaker 3: The I am not.
Speaker 2: You've never done events with them in the past.
Speaker 1: I have not, and uh will they will? They have the draft on.
Speaker 2: Well it's lunch oh okay, and it's in Manassas.
Speaker 3: Oh, look at.
Speaker 1: That America's most Livable Community home of the suckling Pig, Line five. That is at that is our community animal. Hi Elliott, the morning.
Speaker 9: Elliott, Yes, sir, uh, I was just calling about the suckling pig.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: It is probably the most delicious piece of meat I have ever tried my entire life, and I have tried everything from alligator to crocodile to dog to all kinds of different meats. It is like fall off the bone delicious. It is the most amazing thing you can ever try in your life.
Speaker 1: Is Tyler is Tyler right? Though it doesn't taste like ham, it's.
Speaker 9: Not like a ham. I still think it tasted like ports, but not as not as uh not as strong as a ham flavor.
Speaker 7: It was more.
Speaker 9: It was much more subtle. It's similar to like a veal and a beef. Like if you get an eighth piece of beef. It has a real strong flavor to it. But that piece of beal is just like sweet and succulent.
Speaker 3: Right, so is it like?
Speaker 1: And by the way, it's easy with It's easy when you talk about it's easy when you talk about pigs and stuff to go to like ham and bacon. You're gonna tell me you wouldn't crush a pork chop right now. I love pork chops, of.
Speaker 9: Course, two or three of them with you, mother, than buggers and gravy.
Speaker 1: Let's go all right, dude, I appreciate it, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tyler.
Speaker 2: And you see the name of this video about to play on the Titan tron. I cannot suckling pig is so tender. It's cut by plates.
Speaker 3: He's taking a plate and just stabbing at it. Can you put it up on the screen. Diane has to see this. Diane has to see this.
Speaker 4: Hold on, so paint this picture of what I'm about to see. He's using the side of a plate.
Speaker 1: Yes, cut, yes, and there's just a dinner plate and he's just.
Speaker 3: And then he throws look at him and then he throws the plate.
Speaker 2: O big man with your metal.
Speaker 3: The oh Diane, he's eating a piece of pork,