Speaker 1: Welcome Friends Podcast podcast.
Speaker 2: Zaki y they're talking about today an alien ship attacked Earth? Should we be nervous? Yeah? What showdown? Earth is not for the taking because I guess they didn't get the message the first time. That is definitely bigger than the last one. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zaki is Son. I'm here with Brian Hall. Hey.
Speaker 3: How's it going, Zachie?
Speaker 2: Brian? Are you ready to celebrate our Independence Day again? Yeah? Yeah, we're talking of course about Independence Day Resurgence, the sequel to Independence Day that I think that most people there's been like a neuralizer men in black thing, Yeah, where people don't realize it exists. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder if people I mentioned to a few people that we were going to be talking about this and they either hadn't seen it or had forgotten about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, this movie doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Basically, it had zero cultural footprint. Yeah, negative cultural footprint. I think it made people retroactively forget about the first one.
Speaker 3: Which is a shame.
Speaker 2: I would agree that's a shame. So naturally I was like, hey, you know what might be kind of fun. This is my plan for us to just kill our algorithmic search. That's the goal. Yeah. So you know, it's Independence Day eve as we're recording this, and we're like, what better way to celebrate then by watching the sequel to Independence Day?
Speaker 1: Well, I gotta say, I mean, we do all sorts of movies. We do, even when we do our commentaries, and some are beloved, you know, movies by us, and some are Oh, I haven't seen this since the nineties, let's revisit that. And when you brought this up, I was like, you know, yeah, this is just one of those strange films where I know I saw it, I don't remember a thing about it. Like you said, it's left no cultural footprint some kind of I mean, why not, like it could be kind of a fun autopsy a little bit, Yeah, you know, digging into it. Why isn't Will Smith in this? You know, all sorts of all the iterations over the years trying to get this made, and what they eventually were like, look, it's now or never, make whatever we can in this moment here you go.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of I'm looking forward to talking about this with you. As I was rewatching this to get prepped for this, I texted you might this be the worst movie we've ever done a commentary track for? And I bear in mind I'm saying this mere weeks after we did the nineteen eighty four Supergirl, right, which is saying something.
Speaker 1: It is which I look forward to trying to put into words. Yeah, you know, I definitely have feelings about it. Why it doesn't land at all, whereas the first one is I would say pretty beloved.
Speaker 2: I think to the people who experienced it, it is beloved, right, I don't I get I don't know that it's it's taken on evergreen status all a other holiday you know, favorites. Yeah, that's a good point. That's a good point. But hey, we're gonna we're gonna try to figure this out. It's been ten years, it's been for both of us. It has been ten years since we saw this the first time. Coming at it with fresh eyes, we're ten years older, maybe wiser, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I also have to mention the selling point, the thing to put me over the edge that Zechi said. I was like, Okay, I think this could be an interesting conversation, but like, man, I can't imagine, you know, two hours and twenty minutes of this thing, and.
Speaker 2: A minute later you're like, Brian, I just checked. It's under two hours. I'll take it. Brian's like sold. So, hey, we're watching Independencday Resurgence. If you want to watch along with us, you can. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. No, just hang out with us on this Independence Day exactly. Yeah, hopefully we'll have a fun discussion. I suspect we'll we'll learn a lot, We'll learn things about each other. Yeah, you know our capacity for tolerating poor, baffling creative choices. I think a lot of that will be will be unveiled. Mm hmm. But here we go. Let's do this. Let's do this alrighty, So we are watching the one and only cut of Independence Day Resurgence. So here we go. We'll do the usual thing. We'll hit play on three one two three play. And by the way, if you do want to watch along with us, the best way to do that would be hearing it through our Patreon page, because that would give it to you ad free. Brian, how to how do people get that experience?
Speaker 1: All you have to do is head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast, hit subscribe, it's only five dollars a month. You find our commentaries without any ads or interruptions, butting into the conversation and fun and all of our episodes too, ad free and along with bonus conversations that we drop about twice a month. So patreon dot com slash MOVIEFILM podcast.
Speaker 2: Well we will do the usual thing on three, Brian, you're ready, I'm ready, all right, So again we'll go one two three play, So one two three play.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Twenty century Fox. I was thinking, wow, strange that doesn't exist anymore, I.
Speaker 2: Know, and this franchise doesn't exist anymore. Yeah, it is remarkable that the first film when it came out, I mean it was it was a cultural moment. We talked about this before. If you folks want to hear our thoughts on that, get back five years. We did our commentary track for the original Inependency and there was a desire obviously for a sequel right away. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, that movie in nineteen ninety six made eight hundred and seventeen million worldwide. It was it was a smash smash hit.
Speaker 2: So that's a billion plus today, yeah, right, and new to theaters, not based on anything hmm, yeah, that's a big deal. Yep. Right, so at that time, you know, it's we have to cast our gaze back a little bit. Will Smith was the top build star, but he wasn't the above the title star. He was one of an ensemble. And you know, we forget that because that was what that was, the movie that was instrumental in launching him into stardom. And so you realize how much he brought to that film with how much is missing from this film. There's a Will Smith shaped hole in the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, yeah, and apparently, I mean, who knows. But according to Will Smith and a BBC interview, it was a scheduling conflict. Yeah, and I think it basically came down to either this or suicide squad. Yeah, so that's possible. Maybe they didn't want to pay him what he was worth it that moment. But so imagine you're trying to make an Independence Day sequel and you write it for Will Smith, and Will Smith can't do it. I mean, where do you even begin, right, coming up with a news story without him in it.
Speaker 2: Well, what I read, just just to add on to what you're saying, the plan originally was to shoot two movies back to back, right, which you can totally tell at the end of this one. Absolutely, And he he wanted fifty million for two movies, which I have to say probably would have been worth it. I think, I think still in that moment in twenty sixteen, exactly having him in these movies would have at least got you your money back. I agree with that, you know, for the promotional opportunities, everything else, all of the what he would bring to it, just in terms of eyeballs. And again, yeah, ten years ago he was still one of the biggest stars in the world. Well he still is. Yeah, but it's different, it's different, you know.
Speaker 1: On that note, I mean, yeah, I don't know what the next ten years look like for Will Smith. It's a good point, kind of hard at this point, still kind of hard to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, well, you know, again, we're spending a lot of time talking about a guy who's not in the movie. But I think Bad Boys a couple of years ago proves that he's still a draw in the right project. Great point. Yeah, you're right, Like, like if he were to do a Men in Black, I think people would show up, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we talk about that, because I you know, we love the Men in Black series, and they put out a fourth one.
Speaker 3: They tried to do it without him.
Speaker 1: They tried to do the Born legacy sort of situation, right, did Jeremy rennerd the Men in Black series? And it didn't resonate, didn't take. But I'd be curious if you give it some time.
Speaker 2: So, you know, Okay, So here we are twenty years later. Now this is this is this production still painting of Will Smith. Mm hmmm. I always loved that when they do that in the movies, you know, yeah, it's like a Henry Jones senior, you know, yeah, totally so. So I feel bad saying this because I'm sure Jesse Usher is a lovely person, but boy did they give him a hill to climb that he just he was he was unable to surmount.
Speaker 1: Well, certainly if they expected him to bring Smith's energy to this movie, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I think they expected him to bring energy to yeah yeah, yeah, and it's really rough, yeah, you know, yeah, he doesn't feel like a lead that you want to follow for the entire film. They well I said this before, it was like they they hit you know, Captain Stephen Hill are on the head, and and he turned into four little squirrels, among them Jesse Usher and then than the Hemsworth boy here right right, and and I I didn't remember being as annoyed by Liam Hemswrith ten years ago as I was rewatching his character.
Speaker 3: Cock is Hans solo he's playing here, It's.
Speaker 2: Like, seriously, yeah again, I'm sure Liam Hemsworth is a nice guy. They gave him nothing to work with other than just here's this archetype, this generic biff archetype.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're a hot shot maverick, you know, and you're a wise cracker. See, And I think this never works when you cast someone who isn't actually sort of like that, like Ford is a little disaffected as a human.
Speaker 2: It's a great point, you know what I mean. So when he's playing Han solo, it feels like a part of him he has earned cynicism, earned cynicism.
Speaker 1: And even with Will Smith, I mean, he's got this cocky bravado, but he's still so lovable, Like we're with him when he's cock We love it when he's cocky. Where's some other people when they play cocky we kind of hate them, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, like some people. That's why these people are movie stars. That's funny.
Speaker 1: And and so yeah, Liam Hemsworth, I feel like he's like handsome and he's kind of doing the what's asked of him, but he doesn't actually exude what it is they want him to do here, and so it just feels false.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a shame. Yeah, I've said this before, and it just tells you about that family that he's the less attractive Hemsworth, which just really means that family hit the genetic lotto.
Speaker 3: That really is saying something. God bless him.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know what's funny. I was looking at the friend here at Charlie, yeah, and I was like, oh, it's likable, doomed partner. But he's neither doomed nor likable. So I was I was wrong about this. I like that guy by the way.
Speaker 1: I was like, see, he's got a natural kind of quirkiness to him. I believe him as the plucky psy kick in the hero shadow that you just kind of love.
Speaker 2: Anyway, weren't you kind of waiting for him to die though? Oh totally right. Yeah, So I was disappointed he didn't die, not because I like disliked him in the film, but because I'm like, well, wait a minute, yeah, you didn't do the thing. That's the role, that's what you're here for. Yeah. So okay, this this opening sequence here, I think really for me sums up what I what I said ten years ago was my issue with this film. It's too far removed from what made the original work. So we're watching there's like a moon base here, and cocky kacky Hemsworth boy does a thing to show he's cocky, does he saves them whatever? But this is not the world of Independence Day. Yes, I sorry, I'm gonna let you keep going because we are on the exact same page. What made Independence Day the original one work is you know, for example, the scene when we see the giant mothership's approaching Earth, we're seeing it from the perspective of our everyday life. Yes, what would it be like to be in Times Square and suddenly this ship rolls up? Right, it's our world? And once we have a moon base and space tugs and all this stuff, Well, it's not our world, right, You've got these helicopters that have like hover technology or whatever, and in universe I understand being like, well, twenty years later, we've retrofitted alien technology. Da you know what, Fine, I get it, but it's too far removed from what made the original work. And by the way, it would be one thing if having retrofitted the alien technology it made even a little bit of difference against the aliens. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't. Oh that's a good point. I didn't actually think about that totally meaningless.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: So, so such a weird choice because this, first of all, this looks really expensive. M m. So it's a lot of money you spent for nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, man, you're so right. I mean that's what struck by was. Man, that trailer was so effective because it's like, what if you walked out into your driveway to pick up your newspaper and a giant shadow covered you and your entire house. You looked up and there was a spaceship, you know, several miles long, just hovering over your neighborhood. What if it was what if that was hovering over the White House?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 1: We lose all that groundedness. That the thing we always talk about, the fantasy adventure in your backyard, you know, a real grounded feeling to know seriously, what would we do with what we have and what we understand about reality, with this fantastical situation and seeing humanity all over the world come together and figured it out out and stop, it is really rousing and satisfying, right And in this yeah, it's just I feel like I'm watching like a sci fi channel movie. You know, it's just moon base, like you said, moon bases and people in these suits, and they aren't as charismatic as the characters in the first film. The photography is somehow blander looking, the vfx are blander looking. There's just nothing to hold on to, and so it's just it's just yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Well, there's parts of the film where I was watching and I got this. I was like, did they shoot this during COVID? And then I realized that it's like five years before COVID.
Speaker 1: Zachi this is I actually wrote this down. I said, most of this movie looks like that rooftop scene from the movie The Room. It does where it's like these people with that flat lighting, they're clearly somewhere. Yeah, they're not in the location because a lot of times they're outside, but their faces are completely without any harsh lighting from the sun or any silhouettes or shit, it's just flat lighting and then some sort of background dropped in behind them. And so much of this movie, I mean, I could forgive a scene or two, but so much of this movie looks like that. And so that just adds to what we're talking about. There's just nothing to hold on to here. You know, even if you could just give us characters that we cared about, maybe we could. I was thinking, there's this dynamic right where you have that Chinese pilot and you have Hemsworth and the kid and the whatever. And I was like, Wow, there's like more chemistry and fun, and I feel more for the Dynamics and Starship Troopers, hm, you know, with the Dizzy and you know, Casper Vandian and all that soap opera stuff call it. You know, maybe it is soap opry, but I still connect with it. And I feel bad when Dizzy dies, you know, like here it's just they're going for that gang you know at the Academy sort of feel. But I don't feel anything for any of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a great point. And I wonder like it's one of those things where I this is this was a you know, at least behind the scenes. I mean, you've got Roland Emerick back, you got Dan Devlin back, and presumably they know the world that they created. And the thought I had watching is maybe this might this film might have been better served by somebody from the subsequent generation making it, you know, right, you know, like how like Radio Silence is doing you know, The Mummy, right, And I mean, who knows how that movie will turn out as we record this, but.
Speaker 3: Well they did Scream pretty successful.
Speaker 2: Oh scream there you go, right, Yeah, So having the affinity of a fan because it feels like you watch this and you're like, well, obviously the first one was like a fluke, yeah, you know. And I say that because when you look at the totality of Emeric and Devlin Co productions, what do he write got we got from Universal Soldier to The Patriot, I would say the only out and out slam dunk was Independence Day in that mix. Yeah right, I mean, I like The Patriot too, but that's probably second best. But I mean, you know, Godzilla is kind of a you know, it has its issues, and you know, Stargate I think became stronger because of the stuff that they weren't involved in.
Speaker 3: You know, all the stuff that came after it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the television show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking about their stuff watching this, and for some reason I thought of the movie the day after tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and in my mind I.
Speaker 1: Think, oh, yeah, that was kind of it's corny, right, and it's probably silly and whatever. And then recently I was on a road trip with our friend Shawn and we were at a hotel and we were just like, I was throwing the TV tired after day driving, and we started that move. It was on like TBS or something, and we watched the whole thing. Yeah, and I was like, you know what, you can you can nitpick some of this stuff, but like it is affecting exactly.
Speaker 2: These they the.
Speaker 1: Characters are archetypes or tropes or whatever you want to call them, but like they are interesting, you know, and when they cast, well, he kind of knows how to make this big, popcorny movie that will translate all over the world.
Speaker 3: It's simple enough, but it is captivating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he is capable of that. He's pretty good at it. So it's weird that this one feels so far afield from those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because between Independence Day and this if we're talking about just sort of like the disaster porn genre we had, as you said, Day After Tomorrow, which I remember enjoying. I mean I haven't. I haven't revisited since it came out, But you know, Jake Jillen Hall I thought was good in it, and Denis Quaid as the dad. You know, Seale Award. Isn't that too, right, isn't she? Man? And I watched it about a year ago. I don't remember. That's funny. I feel like she's the mom I could man because she's because she's in this that's the only thing. Yeah. Yeah, but also even twenty twelve, Yeah, you know there there's like a it's it's very by the numbers of that type of movie. But I think if we're comparing it to this, it's it's it's better. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember it very well, if I'm being honest, But yes, I do remember moments from it. That's there's summons you remember, Yes, exactly exactly. I remember Woody Harrelson and John Cuby exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly. And I think that there's a weird like foe Yannishkominski lighting scheme here.
Speaker 3: In this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this kind of cold blue.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, and it's you know, the one thing you can say about about the first film is, I mean, it does have CGI in it, but it's fairly limited. And so by virtue of the fact that they were subject to the limitations of practical effects they did shoot on location, there's a veracity to it that just helps totally.
Speaker 1: And I think it's worth noting also, at this point, we can do anything. You can see anything you want on screen. That's what we're capable of. But in nineteen ninety six, seeing a UFO blow up the White House and it looking kind of real was mind blowing. Yeah, you know, that was like really like, I gotta see that movie because I've never seen anything on that scale before, Like, what would it be like if a UFO blow up the White House and it didn't look like cheesy you know, nineteen fifties sci fi whatever, like with this kind of budget, you know, And so it's just funny that that's what I remember about that movie, seeing all the monuments blow up and how crazy and powerful that felt and titillating in a way, you know, And in this one, there's just nothing, nothing on that scale. I mean, none of the effects really land for me. Well, you know, except for the aliens. I think the aliens are still pretty effective. Actually, it's a great design at the the great design and at the end, when that giant mother or you know, Queen Alien is running.
Speaker 3: Through the desert, I was like, WHOA, that looks good.
Speaker 2: It's it's realized effectively. But I don't I don't know how well I buy it within the world of the film.
Speaker 1: Fair Fair, I maybe just compared to everything else. I thought that I bought that that thing was in that location. Maybe because they paid attention to the lighting, Maybe because there was lighting.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I like, no, I agree with that for sure. Yeah yeah, but but this so so by the way, pop quiz, what's what's uh? What's Hemsworth's character's name? Hot shot McCool I watched the whole movie and then I had to go to Wikipedia to remind myself what his name was. Jake Morrison. There you go, I had to. I watched the whole thing. I was like, what is his name? And they say it multiple times? Right, yeah, but but it's and I really I don't want this to just be like what was us We didn't get will Smith. But my only point in saying, like Stephen Hiller character is a pretty broad set of tropes as well, right, and yet there's just something that he brought to it that made it stand up. It made cheesy lines work Welcome to Earth, yeah, right, because because famously Ethan Hawk has said he turned down and they had offered him to Stephen Hiller role. That's wild, right, And and he's like, I thought it was shit. I thought that the lions were crap, and you're, yeah, it's like, well, I can't imagine Ethan Hawk saying welcome to Earth and having it work in the same way.
Speaker 1: You know, he's too close to the energy of Jeff Goldbloom, feeling like someone who's a little that character. Hiller's got bravado, you know, whereas Goldbloom feels like someone I can relate.
Speaker 2: To a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, and so Ethan Hawk also feels a little bit more like the average Joe kind of character.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, Right, I don't know how well that would have worked. Yeah, But like I think, just to just to pick up on what you're saying, right, you've got our three leads in the first film. You've got Stephen Hiller, you got President Whitmore, you have David Levinson and each I mean even the President is relatable, right. I think that the angst and the self doubt and stuff makes him a very compelling character. Yeah, and this too, Right, what they do with the Whitmore character in this it's just like one baffling choice after the other. It's irir And we'll talk about it more, I guess. But but I wondered a little bit like, did did Bill Pullman? Did he sign on and then they gave him the script? Or were they like, we want to do this with the character and he found it interesting.
Speaker 1: I could see that on the page, feeling interesting, like you get to play this character again, but he's psychically tortured, right, you know, and then he gets to sacrifice himself.
Speaker 3: And I could see that being attractive to an actor.
Speaker 2: I certainly, I don't have a problem with the heroic sacrifice. I do have the problem with the road to that heroic sacrifice, sure, which I'm sure we'll talk about. Okay, So a couple of things about doctor oaken Her. First of all, his name is Brackish, yes, which I feel like if you name your kid brackish. I think that's child abuse. I think I think CPS needs to be called at that point. Now we've said this before. He is one dead in the first film. Is it the last we see of him with the tentacle around the throat, They check his pulse. He's ded dead. Okay, right, Yeah, so that's fine brand Spiner. I don't mind him in this. In fact, I'll go so far as to say he out of all the characters, he gets kind of an arc. Yeah. He Actually it's like a bunch of beats to play.
Speaker 1: It feels like the energy from the first film. Yeah, returning, you know, him trying to cut into the thing and finding his favorite sad like that stuff is fun. That's the fun that's missing. I think the personality quirks.
Speaker 2: I also, I actually really liked William Fickner in this. Yeah, he's good.
Speaker 3: I wanted to pend on of him.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, yeah, William Fickner is one of those guys you plug him in, you know what you're getting, right, character actor's character actor. But like I think that him going from you know, all the way down here in the chain of succession to suddenly becoming president like that's interesting. Mm hm, you know.
Speaker 1: And maybe doesn't feel as big a moment as it should.
Speaker 2: That, right, So I think the problem is that they don't make Cela Ward a big enough character. Yeah, like it should mean something when she.
Speaker 3: Dies totally totally like what do we do now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then him sort of like almost like not that he would be reluctant, but you're, well, now you're the president of the United States and sort of a you know, just yeah, but then I'll step up to the plate. Like I can imagine the for these filmmakers doing that better in other movies, the humanity of it, what they're actually feeling, they're first Corney's these movies are the humanity is always pretty palpable.
Speaker 2: Well, so that's the That's what I find odd, right, Like when you watch the first film, the moments of loss feel like moments of loss, whether whether it's you know, the aftermath of the attack and you have people sort of taking in the totality of what happened or you know, and I think I've said this before, one of one of my favorite lines in the film is after the attack and you've got President Moore on the plane and and he says, I'm many people died today, how many of them didn't have to? And and I talk about just a perfect window into his character. Right, but even like when uh, what's her name, you know, the wife dies? Who plays her, Oh Mary Mary Mary McDonald from from Battlestar Galactica, who also, by the way, speaking of like chain of succession. Right in Battlestar Galactica, she's like the secretary of education and then suddenly she becomes the president. Oh interesting, you know, so and it's a great, you know moment because she's just completely unequipped for that, you know, and she's obviously a regular for that whole series. But when she dies, it's a great moment, you know. And in this film, I mean, we're about to see it, you know, the big attack happens like minutes from from now, and it just doesn't anything.
Speaker 1: You know, now that the first movie's flashing through my mind, I remember Vivk Fox's stripper friend, remember, and she's like, I'm gonna go up to the We're all going to the top of a building. We're gonna go like welcome them. Kirsten Warren, I remember her like she was memorable and interesting and she's only like in it for probably a total of you know, fifty five seconds or something. Yeah, and then I remember her being on top of the building and the ship opening and she's.
Speaker 2: Like, wow, it's beautiful. Yeah, it's so haunting because she doesn't know what's about to happen next.
Speaker 1: Just such great details to make me, bring me into that feeling and the experience, and that I remember long afterwards and that Yeah, just movies doesn't have any of that.
Speaker 2: So do you think the mistake was like we talked, we talked if often about how some of these legacy sequels feel like karaoke redos of the earlier film, Right, do you think the mistake was not sticking closer to that original template.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that, because I was thinking as I said that, like, in some ways I remember even the first time I watched this, I admired the way that they incorporated the alien technology, yeah into everyday life, because yeah, that makes sense, you know X amount of years later, like we've learned some new things we would not have the present day that we have in our reality. That's interesting, it makes sense in the world. But that's a good point. I mean, we do like you said, that's not a reality I can really relate to, right, So I don't I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 2: It's It's tough. I think I think rewatching. I'm I don't mind them having having the technology, and I think it would have been better served by incorporating it in subtler ways. Sure that that aren't noticeably distracting, right, because because ultimately, here's the paradox. The sequel to Independence Day had to exist twenty years after the first film within the world of the film, but it also had to exist in our world. And so I think you square the circle on that by yes, you acknowledge that we've gotten ahead in some ways thanks to their technology, but not so far ahead that it doesn't look like our world right, Right? And again, why do I say this, Because in terms of the story they've constructed, the fact that we have gotten ahead really doesn't impact the story at all.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, it's interesting because I was thinking a version of that could be. You know, you obviously we have these things, but it'd be hard for us to imagine in ninety six. Now we have these futuristic tablets and hover bikes and whatever. Right, But it's not some sort of utopia like kids are still bored, you know, kids, you know, like still want a better hover bike, and you know, just make it at least a little bit more relatable, because if we've learned anything from all the crazyiness of the past several years, like it really doesn't rattle us enough anyway, Like we just we go back to the status quo pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: So think about this, like all of this moon based business, how does it change the story if we just make them fighter pilots on Earth? It really doesn't, hm, Like there's nothing about the moon setting that meaningfully impacts the plot.
Speaker 1: And I can't I'm not saying it's not possible, but yes, I don't relate to them being up there very much.
Speaker 2: That's right, Like the story would function just as well if we have a remote monitoring station on the Moon, but the action is still on Earth yep ye right, So in other words, that that bakes in. Okay, we've gotten advance to the degree that we can build this thing and have it on the Moon, but you know, it's still it's still our.
Speaker 1: Earth yeph What was that movie that just came out.
Speaker 3: On Netflix?
Speaker 2: Bigelow Catherine Bigloaded.
Speaker 1: Catherine big house a dynamite where uh, it's basically, yeah, there's a missile that's in root to Chicago and it takes place in real time and they're trying to determine whether to shoot it down to retaliate, Like what do we do in real time with this situation? And it's it's and it's unfortunately the movie as a whole.
Speaker 2: But real quick brain, yeah, this whole thing that we're watching here with the war learn and stuff. Tell me, wouldn't you have rather watched that movie? Totally? Sure?
Speaker 1: Sorry, go on, no, no, no, no, well, I just it's I'm just thinking of this moment here, yes, on the moon base and you've got this foreign ship or whatever that they don't understand, and there's this tension.
Speaker 3: Of I mean, what do we shoot it?
Speaker 2: Like? What do we do to this thing?
Speaker 1: And I just I wish it had the palpable tension that I felt in that other movie, where I felt a little bit more grounded and like, I don't know, I mean, if we don't take care of this thing, it could take out of major US city And like it's a really sweat, you know, a beat, a sweat coming down the President's forehead like I, I don't, and then I would be thinking, I don't know what I would do, But it's just we don't get any of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I The the opening scenes of the first film, even before the ships arrive, are spent really building out the world, building out our characters, and and and it's very you know, it's Poseidon Adventure, it's it's Towering Inferno, it's it's it's following in that tradition. But that's the reason those films worked at that time, right, because to some extent you would watch them and and you would feel just enough investment to care about who who lives and who doesn't. Whereas here we've got, you know, speaking of names of characters, that that that nerdy guy you know, yeah, what's his name? No idea, Yeah, nerdy guy. But he is a very emeric character, isn't he very much so so like bureaucrat, I knowing bureaucrat guy who eventually picks up a gun and becomes a hero by the end. And that's right, well, he's sort of he's like Charles Martin Smith and in Untouchables, you know, right, sure, but again it's like, I mean, there's a way to make it meaningful, right, Like that's kind of I think the missed opportunity is the earlier film, which which was just trashed by critics when it came out, right, and yet it audiences didn't pay attention to the critics, h right, So in other words, it did speak to something. Hm, there was no reason for this one not to tap into whatever enthusiasm audience has had for that original film.
Speaker 1: Well, and as you say that, it's making me think had the moment just passed for this kind of film? I mean, that movie hit perfectly in ninety six. Yeah, but maybe we're in a different we're post Dark Knight.
Speaker 2: Well we're not just post Dark Knight, we're post Jurassic World, we're post The Force Awakens. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, maybe this moment had kind of passed. I Yeah, I think I think Independence Day had the benefit a right of arriving in between Star Wars is. Yeah. Right, so it was sort of scratching a particular itch, right, But it's not like the it didn't have any kind of a cultural impact. I don't think you know, wait, which one this film? Excuse me, not this one, this franchise. They were the first film. Oh yeah, yeah, right, So I feel like an audience would have been there, and I don't think.
Speaker 1: To see Jeff Goldbloom and Will Smith side by side again, I think people would.
Speaker 2: Have liked that. Yeah, I look, I think I mean a big picture. Look, as soon as you decide you're doing a sequel, the first thing you do is you call Will Smith and you say what what what do you want your character to what do you want his arc to be? And then you build the story around that and you make sure he's on board from the jump, right, yeah, definitely without him, it is a little bit like The Office after Steve Carell left. Ah yeah, yeah, right, where you're like, look, I like Dwight and Andy's great and you know, but but we don't but Michael's not there, you know. Yep, that's great. That's a great example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I this scene here where they're going to go down and see that little ball that had come out of the ship.
Speaker 2: That they shot you go check it out. It reminded me of that scene when they are on the Moon in two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, when they're approaching the monolith, and I mean, well and it's just what's oh lojah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was suffering from dementia at this point. You can kind of see it. Actually, I was a little sad seeing him. I had that. I was like, it just felt I don't know, I agree with you. It made me feel bad. I didn't feel happy seeing him.
Speaker 1: If he wanted to be there, like please, I would like to be there, then that's great.
Speaker 3: And that's his real life.
Speaker 2: From the look on his face, it feels like he didn't really know what was happening. Yes, and yes, you can sort of see that well, and that's the whole celebration scene. This gets to sort of the phoniness of it all. Yeah, right, it's just green screen palooza. Yeah yeah, And I'm like, guys, just get people in an arena and you know, and and add on to digitally, but but make it feel like a crowd for goodness sake.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really hard to fake the sun. Yeah you know what I mean, Like the sun is harsh and it puts harsh light and edges around noses and ears and things, and when it's not real, it's just so noticeable and weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so hey, quick question, what's what's presidency the ward's name?
Speaker 1: Ah, Jenny can do it. I don't know, Landford, you looked it up. I did have IMDb in.
Speaker 2: Front of me. Yeah. That looks terrible. That looks like the room. Yeah yeah, yeah, gosh. But it's like total Yanishi, isn't it. Yeah yeah, with all the halos around the people. So my thought watching this about the Whitmore character I was I was thinking, I was like, maybe it works better if instead of him first time we see him he's all like baby, right, maybe he's like okay, mmm, he's like normal, and then suddenly this happens and activated, right yep, and here exactly yes at this moment, and I'm guessing, oh thirty yeah, okay, right. I feel like that gives your character something more somewhere more interesting to go. We'll talk about. But I said this before when we did our review, like ten years ago. But it feels it Whitmore feels a little bit like Kenny in South Park, where it's just like except this is like suicidal Kenny where he keeps wanting to which I think was an odd choice, but but I think it would be more interesting to have him just you know, he's he's normal, he's there as an attendee. He doesn't show up and be all crazy. That's a great idea.
Speaker 1: That's a great because and then and then the warlord guy him all getting activated for the first time, and it's like, what the hell is happening to these people?
Speaker 3: You know, like that'd be a great Yeah, I agree, good note.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah, I mean, because that's the shame of it, because I really like President Whitmore in the earlier film, and I see I see very little of him in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, by the way, his daughter originally played by May Whitman, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Play Monroe in this And yeah, I mean there is at least some question about how that casting change happened. Uh, But based on May Whitman, it feels the the movie people are like, well, she didn't want to read for it, and my sense from her, although she's never addressed it directly, is not she was never given the opportunity to read for it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw that some of her friends, like Anna Kendrick and people kind of spoke out on her behalf and Whitmen for the most part, basically just I think she liked a couple of tweets sort of hinting it how she felt about it, but which I.
Speaker 2: Love in the social media age that this is our I know, archaeology to that's so true. It's like, oh, so and so stopped following so and so on Instagram. Oh you know, you know that's that's really funny. Our archaeology. It's kind of sad. It kind of is the d of a loos of our of our discourse. You know. Yeah, but but even okay, so you recast the president's daughter. It's fine, you know, doesn't get a ton to do. That's really memorable.
Speaker 1: No, she's interesting, right, I mean she she was in It Follows, right, that was kind of her breakout It Follows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. And she she continues to pop up in things. It's it's she's she's like fine in the movie. I don't think she's bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: It's uh, I kind of made me feel bad. I bet for her.
Speaker 2: This was like, hey, this is my big my big movie now. Yeah, and then she sort of gets roped into this discourse, right. Well, that yeah, that's true too. You know. By the way, the the the French scientist who's positioned as like a elevens and love interest. I mean, that's fine, but do they even mention Margaret Collins character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was wondering what happened to them.
Speaker 2: I guess she died. I mean it's I mean, they don't even mention.
Speaker 1: Her, right, right, and you are referring to the character of Catherine Marceau.
Speaker 2: Naturally, I had to get ahead of that one. So that's the guy from Dark Knight, right, yes, yes, okay, who's hiding.
Speaker 3: He's got the money, the monster's money.
Speaker 2: Okay. I like him. He's kind of he's like a type, you know. You know, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: I was thinking the same thing, like and it probably just comes from that film. He's so good in that movie in such a small role that when I see him, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, oh good that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, now they cast the you know, the actor who plays his daughter angela baby. Okay, uh, she's like one word naturally hm uh. It was very obviously a sop to the Chinese audience. That was very which was the style at the time, which is right, it's and it's very funny because China figured out pretty quick what we were doing. I mean, was that Iron Man three right where China got extra scenes of Tony Stark drinking like a Chinese soda that we never saw in the States. Yeah, that kind of we're doing that a lot. Yeah. One of them Transformers movies, right, had a big Hong Kong sequence. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's because it added so much to the worldwide box office, and I think at the time China was only allowing a certain amount of US films.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't even know what's going on with that anymore, but I mean it's it's China no longer factors into whether like a movie is going to be a hit, you know, because I think they've had it with our shit, you know. I mean it is it's like pretty condescending when you think about it, because it's not like her character is particularly impactful on the plot. No, there could have been anybody, you know. It's it's like, you know in Masters of Universe the eighty seven to one, where it's like, hey, this kid won a contest. He's big boy in e Skeletoris Staff. Right, It's that level of condescending a little bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, because yeah, I'm sure she's a huge star, yeah, you know, in her world, but like, yeah, she's not given a whole lot to do here, and you know, it doesn't feel like it's coming naturally to her either, which I mean it would be just as difficult for me to have to speak Mandarin phonetically, you know.
Speaker 2: Movie.
Speaker 1: So it's just it just kind of doesn't work for the camaraderie also that they're trying to build with the team, yeah, you know, with one of the guys being in love with her, and it's just none of it works.
Speaker 2: So this this alien ship they I forget the however big it is. It's like as big as the Atlantic Ocean. Yeah, And they're like, how do we not see that, to which I say, yes, how did you not see that? Right? That's like too big? Yeah, like you've got all this alien technology. Wait, how do you miss that?
Speaker 1: That's I mean, yeah, we could see like Netflix satellites and things in the air, you know, ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Here, here's the big scene that's gonna make China want to release this movie, right.
Speaker 1: I do remember I was lucky enough, lucky question Mark to read this script before it came out. Someone well you did, Yeah, someone gave it to me, and I think at the time you and I were just railing on movies for destroying cities and showing no consequences, where it's like, no, the world has changed, that's a big deal. But it's just like, ah, we just blew up Paris, you know, moving on, and it's like we feel nothing. It's like, how do we feel nothing when you've just leveled a major city in the world. And so then I remember reading the script and it was basically like, yeah, Dubai is lifted up into the air and smashes down on London, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, they did it, Zachy, those sons, they topped themselves. They didn't just level a city.
Speaker 1: They took a city, lifted it in the air, and smashed it into another city.
Speaker 2: Cut to Jeff Goldblum giggling maniacally Alla Jurassic Park. Yeah he did it. Now, I should say, I remember when we did our review episode and I was like, yeah, Vivica Fox, I think I think she's a nurse in this, which is like really sexist and stupid, like she's clearly a doctor.
Speaker 3: Oh oh that's funny, So I should.
Speaker 2: I just want to like correct me from ten years ago. Oh that's wow, good memory that you remember that. Yeah, she's she's clearly a doctor. Yes, and you know what, hey, we're here to grow. Well, you know he is here. It is, by the way, sorry, you got the burge clear there you go smashing into the London Bridge and and it makes no impact.
Speaker 3: This should be an enormous deal.
Speaker 2: The scene earlier when we see the people being lifted up, I mean it's horrifying, yes, right, I mean it really is. I mean it's like end of the world shit, And I'm like, why don't you let us sit in this moment instead of this? It's just weird, right, because again it's like misreading by Emeric about why people responded to that first film.
Speaker 1: Like I said, when I remember the striper friend on the thing, like I'm sad, Like she's her eyes are drawn to this sparkly thing and she she's hopeful. I think she has a sign that's like welcome and she's about to die.
Speaker 2: And that that's like you watch it and you're like, what's going through her mind when this happens? Right, Yes, and so you go to that means it's working if you're having that thought one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So yes, seeing those people lift into the air, that is like why don't. We've got that moment where we get the cab driver and the person in the back, Like it's enough to like, Okay, I can I know, I can identify this person and follow them through this crazy haunting experience.
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 3: All the what would you do? Is gone?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, you know, and and again, And that's weird because as you said, it's not even like after the first film, Emeric just dipped from this genre. Right like his other times in he at least somewhat adhered to that template. And again it worked a lesser greater degrees, but but he it showed recognition of that. And so that's why when you look at this and you're like like, like, you know, the perfect example, this Salvage sub who we follow, who gives a crap about them? Right? Like, yeah, I agree, I like, they don't make a lot of weird storyline. Yeah. And then jud Hirsh is in a whole different movie. I know. I know. Again it's it's like a COVID distance.
Speaker 1: You know, this does You're so spot on. This does feel like a COVID era movie.
Speaker 2: It feels like COVID era movie, I'm telling you. Yeah. And then I mean we can get to it.
Speaker 1: But his his whole arc, if you can call it, that is basically to just show up at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 3: You know, like it's like I don't know, he doesn't. We'll get to it.
Speaker 2: We'll get to The thing is like, just as a fan of the first film, I was glad to see jud Hirsch beas.
Speaker 1: The same exactly right, that's great, and him selling his book like I figured it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that totally tracks with his character totally. But like this right here, this is see again if in the in the earlier film, the attack happens and there's just devastation, right, and we sit with that devastation. Yeah, so, as you said, right, Hong Kong has been dropped on London. That feels substantial. Yeah, that feels like something like the grief of that. We're talking about millions of people that have died, yeah already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even right now we're watching the claw of this vessel, yeah, planting itself on Earth and it's like just pawing out cities as it's just you know, fixing itself into position. I mean, that's like thousands of people are dying right now.
Speaker 2: So here are we? Is this DC? Is this Washington? I mean, is this Los Angeles? Where are we? What city is this that? I don't know? Actually we should know that now. Now, the Vivica Fox character, this is I know we talked about this ten years ago. How do you not make her death a moment? I know, yes it should be.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't care if this movie is to our in twenty minutes if you make this stuff work right.
Speaker 2: Like right there, we see her die from a distance and he's like, no, mom, yeah, this is where I'm I'm like, look, I'm I'm not a professional director, but like you give us, you give us a close up. You get him close enough.
Speaker 3: Yes, they lock eyes.
Speaker 1: You get that Hans Grueber shot exactly and she's looking almost at camera, which is her son, and she drops out of you.
Speaker 2: That's what you do. So we can't be the only people who thought of that.
Speaker 1: Right unless it was some last minute decision. Maybe they didn't, you know, maybe she had a different outcome and they changed it, and so they I mean, actually, that feels like the only excuse for having a major character like that die as a little dot on the screen falling through a bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, his his the character being like, you know, just get her, get there, get there whatever he's trying to, like the desperation he feels. That's great, you know. And and now he's an orphan, he's lost both his parents. That's all good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you gotta have you gotta have the equations on the wall. When I worked at when I worked at Puppy Dog Pals, my office had like the the top two feet of the room, like leading up to the ceiling was glass, okay, and so it was private, but the top part of the thing had like a glass thing that went all the way around, and I just thought it'd be funny. So one day I took one of those you know, whiteboard markers, and I just started putting equations all over it so people would walk by and think that I was like Goodwill hunting.
Speaker 2: Prince Spiner. He showed up. That's well, this is this is the thing I because I was thinking about. First of all, it helps that his character in the old film had the same fright wig hair, so Brian Spiner twenty years later, like he basically looks exactly the same. Mm hmm. But this gets to you know, the benefits of being a character actor, right, Bran Speiner is one of those guys. Man, you plug him into whatever. He's going to give you a character, and for him he'll always have work.
Speaker 1: Yeah too. Yeah, he's been asleep since the last movie. Like, whoa, we have alien guns.
Speaker 2: See that's good. I like that. Yeah, me too. See. I think that if you have the alien technology has been stored away. Mmm right, so it hasn't really impacted the real world per se.
Speaker 1: You could even yeah, be like the world can't just suddenly have all of this. It would go crazy exactly. But they try to make it sound like it is a utopia because we have now a common enemy the whole world.
Speaker 2: So this scene here, I was thinking about this, yeah, because he's like, all right here I go. I'm gonna die now, you know. And then he wakes up in the hospital he's like, I'm still goddamn it. And that was bull pullman.
Speaker 1: They didn't he didn't realize the cameras were rolling. I got more days on this thing, son of a bitch.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about, like, I feel like it just going going back to what we were saying before. I think you reverse, you reverse this, So instead of him being like oh, strangle me so I'll talk. It's he uses the fact that he's got this mental connection where he goes in there and they're like, no, no, you're gonna die, and he he essentially is able to read its mind against its will. M Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, right, yeah, because I see my my thing is watching this. I'm like, if we're setting this, we're setting up the heroic sacrifice so much that the actual heroic sacrifice doesn't mean anything. Mmm. Because he's because he already stepped up for this. Yeah exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, yeah right.
Speaker 2: And then and then later too, where he's like, somebody's got to die. I guess it's me, and it's like, all right, dude, we get it, you know, right right, because I was thinking even that when he dies, it should have been a Randy Quaid situation. Yes, like in the first film where this is the only option and he only realizes it when he's in it. Yes, you know, yes, agreed, Like we've lost our pilot, we've only got this plane from a certain era that nobody knows how to fly, and it's just like, well, you know, yeah, it's got to be me something like that, like like we almost got I mean you know, it kind of like Inforce Awakens right where you know Han and then they think they made it, remember they? And then and then he goes back in and then that ends up being how he dies. Yeah, right, right, something in that vein, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, totally it correct me if I'm wrong. Also the oh wait, that's but kind of grace right in the back. The little girl that is her. Wow, I was like, Wow, she's been around a very long time.
Speaker 2: I didn't even catch that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has had a back of a career.
Speaker 2: Seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's been in all these major franchises. She's gonna Scooby Doo coming up. It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, and and her what's her name, Joy King? Yes, Joey. You know, I just I just rewatched The Dark Knight Rises last week and she was Yeah, she's baby Talia And that's right, that's right. I think last I remember her was Bullet Train. Oh yeah, she's in that. So she had been in White House Down a couple of years earlier. So that's there's the emmoric connection there. But that scene with the kids in the car, I said this ten years ago. It feels like there there was an introductory scene of those kids that somebody took out of like the editing timeline and forgot to reinsert it right, right, because it just kind of comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and gives jud Hursh something to do.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine actually if you was like you and your group of friends, even though you're underage or whatever, but like trying to make your way. You've just lost your family, and then this old man is like, i'll drive now, and you're like okay, he's like controlling the radio, and you're like.
Speaker 2: Well, it only works because they recognize him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it, yeah, from the book, right, yeah, still like okay, I mean we kind of had a thing going here, but all right.
Speaker 2: They had their own movie.
Speaker 1: Exactly did you read about Susan Sarandon. I guess she turned down a role in this from this, yeah, because she said it was incomprehensible.
Speaker 2: Well, she wasn't wrong.
Speaker 1: I thought this was funny. People don't know exactly what it was. Is from a Huffington Post interview, and people are guessing it's president yea, and so apparently she said when I read the script, I couldn't understand what was going on. I just couldn't understand it. Seriously, a lot of the people from the original one were not going to be doing it, and I read it and I just thought, no, I can't, I just can't.
Speaker 2: Well, I think she made the right choice. Yeah, it turns out it was actually the Queen Alien at the end. Yeah, it's just yeah, it would have just been a giant Susan Sarandon. That would have been the big twist. This doesn't even makes sense. She's like, I didn't even like the first movie, but that doesn't make sense. So so the Defense Secretary, his name is Patrick Saint Esprit. Uh, yeah, he's one of again. Like it's like, uh, you know the guy in the first film who well, the character's name is named Zicky. I forget the actor's name. He passed away, but he's certain, you know, resting bureaucrat face. Oh right, because I know him from a draft day from like a year or two before this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at him now. He's Commander Thread in The Hunger Games. Yeah, yeah, that's right, draft Day Green Zone.
Speaker 2: We were soldiers. He has that one character that he plays very well.
Speaker 3: This is like a guy he'll be working forever.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying he's got he's he's in that that Ed Lauder class. He just slot him in, you know, and and again, you know, I I think I think having great character actors just always benefits films in this way because you're just you just plug into their their energy. You know. See this here should be a more meaningful moment where Dylan is looking at now both of his parents are gone, and and it's supposed to be how him and Jake Jake's you know, and how they they reconnect. The problem is we don't really know about Jake. I think we're supposed to care about him in addition because he's you know, he's a taken, no guff bad boy with with with those deep blue eyes. But you know, because because the president's daughter likes him or whatever. But he is such a blank slate, both of them, both of them are a single blank slate. I think you.
Speaker 3: Should have made hillar.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna have the cocky guy, maybe make Hiller someone who doesn't believe in himself.
Speaker 2: Like I was thinking, right, if his dad is like the Savior.
Speaker 1: Has to live up to that legend exactly, and so it would be fun to watch a person they have the skill, they just need to find their confidence. Yeah, you know, and then they would feel very different from one another. You don't have two cocky guys going against each other.
Speaker 2: That might help. So maybe maybe you don't make him a fighter pilot and then and then you have that beat like at when it comes down to it, he has to take on that role mm hm. And you know he's got the trauma because of his father dying, right, because I think, what does it say, Hillar, when does it say he died?
Speaker 3: I think he died during a test flight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like not too long after the first film is my recollection. Yeah, so that means that he's carrying this trauma with him for a long time, and so he doesn't want to fly. But then he's forced into that role.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he did so he has the ability, but then he stepped away from it because that yeah, like you said, like trauma. Yeah, so at least then at the end when he has to step up, he knows with the buttons do yeah right, yeah, but right now he just feels like generic hero guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's odd, you know, Yeah, I mean definitely like Hollywood was trying to make Liam Hemsworth happen because he was in one of the Expendables movies too, and I don't think it's really taken, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you know. Or maybe he's just not a leading man like maybe he'll do.
Speaker 2: Because he's in Hunger Games, right.
Speaker 3: The old ones or the new ones. I actually don't know.
Speaker 2: It isn't he I think he is.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying this is someone who's not an expert on them.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen them, but I feel fairly certain that he is. But my point is he's not a he's not a leading man in those in those films.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you're right, you're right, you're right. I mean, I believe you. I just didn't know. Gail Hawthorne.
Speaker 2: There you go. I'm sure like a younger generation right now is like idiot. There's people listening to this throwing shit at their device and they're right, they're right to do it. Yeah. And he replaced Cavil on the Witcher. I believe that's right, man. I totally forgot about that. Yeah, yeah, I think that. Uh, you know, we're about to have you know, the the Aliens attack Giant Mountain and you know the whole line of succession gets wiped out. That really needed to be a bigger deal, you know, And I think it's weird to me again, like we know all the work that they did in the earlier film to build up you know, the the Whitmore President, so do the same thing with this. But the twist is that she dies. Yeah. Yeah, that's a good idea. Well that's that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Like you said, we get familiar beats that feel good to us for this world, but then yeah, subvert them a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, a little bit. Yeah, see this, this whole storyline with the with the salvage team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're kind of forgettable.
Speaker 2: Totally forgettable. They have no bearing on the rest of the story.
Speaker 1: I wasn't going to comment on it because I can't even remember, so I believe you, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it has no impact. I don't believe yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I was also thinking if that ship or whatever you want to call it is drilling into the Earth almost reaching the core, Yeah, doesn't that like forever change the stability of our planet?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, there's there's no coming back from that, right, Like I mean, like tons of ocean like leaking now into the center of the Earth. Like, yeah, that feels big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm no expert, but well, to be fair, they wanted to make a sequel, so maybe they would have told us.
Speaker 2: Which I mean, the ending of this movie is like a threat. You know What's funny. By the way, I don't even know how, but I have this movie.
Speaker 1: So I well, probably my friend from Fox, but I think he might have give me a blue ray or something. But and so I just whenever I get a code, I always download the code. So my voodoo lockers yours is like brilliant and curated and filled with amazing things, and mine is just random stuff I got over the years for free, you know. And anyway, so I was watching it that way, and I saw there were bonus features and there's a bunch of deleted scenes.
Speaker 2: Did you see them? I did not. I saw that they existed, but by then I was quite quite done with this film.
Speaker 1: I watched one and I got about twenty seconds in and I was like, I don't I don't have to do this, so I stopped. But one of them is, uh has Fred Armison in it? Fascinating I was like, wow, that he would have injected some fun energy into this movie.
Speaker 2: I could see Fred Armison as doctor Oakin's son, you know, yeah, sure, it's like a minime version of Oakin. Yeah ah ookod you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Something struck me and it's striking me again, So I'm just going to bring it up. But when what's his name Spiner back? Anyway, he's got this sackish oaken.
Speaker 2: You put some respect on his name, yes, Oakin.
Speaker 1: I'm like, so, what's the Why are we spending all this time on this saw that doesn't work? Just so he can go and get an go up a ladder and get another saw that and then go back down and try it again and then.
Speaker 3: It does work. Why are we spending minutes on this?
Speaker 2: I assume it's to show that this you know, apple poke ball that they're trying to slice through is difficult to open. Yeah, like human technology, regular human technology doesn't do it fair. But yeah, I have to use that. I'm assuming those more efficient ways. Yeah, no, yeah, I guess I see it. I think this part here, I mean, obviously the closest parallel with the earlier film is that first assault. You know that you have Will Smith and Harry Connick Junior, et cetera. You know that they lead against the ship. But you know, that sequence works partly because of kind of what we talked about, where it's there are ships there, they're earth ships, but also like it, the stakes are within scale. You know this, this feels like a third act sequence. Yes, that they've dropped into the middle of the movie. You know, and when you think about it, in the earlier film you have exactly this. You have the president and and you know, the cabinet members watching on a screen as as like icons drop out, you know, and yet that's so much more impactful. Yeah, and it's one of them, like I'm watching this and I'm trying to just unravel it, like why isn't this landing?
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, by the way, so look at all this melee happening across the screen.
Speaker 2: Just blah.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of that incredible shot in Return of the Jedi during the final battle where you see the ship and there's just chaos happening and it's only one shot to make you go, holy crap, like this is a big deal. And also how did they do that? You know in nineteen eighty three, like that, Wow, look what they're capable of. But you can't have every shot look like that.
Speaker 2: I think that might be it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Every shot here looks like that crazy hard to follow shot like you do that in Jedi with one shot to help us understand how crazy this is. And then we focus on our heroes doing their thing, but here just because they can. Every shot looks like that, and then I don't know what to put my eyes on.
Speaker 2: That's really yeah, I think that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also thinking of the first movie, we're really well, we're endeared to Will Smith and that score.
Speaker 3: Is amazing, so I was going to bring that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and then when it just becomes about him and this one ship and it's it's cool. It's like, yeah, a fighter jet and a UFO basically going off and having this crazy dog fight with one another. It's it's rousing, you know what I mean, Like it's I'm getting like energized thinking about this other movie right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean, you know that we care enough, we have just enough emotional attachment to Harry Connick Junior. Yes that you know when he takes a mask off and he's like, put your mask back on, and then he explodes and we feel it. Yep. Right, and that means something. And again this is where my boy Charlie he got to go mm hmm, yeah, he had to get exploded. Sorry Charlie, Sorry Charlie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But no, I think they pushed it too far to the point where we lose focus of what we're supposed to focus on. I think we don't care about these characters enough. I just think the craft was better in the first one.
Speaker 2: See and score, that's that's the So the David Arnold brought such an important identity to the first film that when you watch this film you realize that the only times the score really comes to life is when they when they pipe in the O G music. H So you know we hear a little bit of it here, not not in this part, but like later in the film, and then you know, over the end credits. And I remember watching this in theater being like, oh, that's what was missing, any of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And and I wonder was David Arnold like nope, sorry, uh I saw that.
Speaker 1: He mentioned on his own Twitter account he was not asked to score the sequel.
Speaker 2: That is baffling to me, Like, I think he dodged a bullet. Yeah, well, I mean but he missed a paycheck. He missed a paycheck. But I mean, but at this point he was doing the Bond film, so he's probably doing fine. Yeah, but but that's weird to me because Stargate, in Independence Day and Godzilla, all three of those movies, David Arnold elevates every single one of those experiences substantially.
Speaker 3: And those Bond scores are incredible. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, So that's.
Speaker 2: Just weird, you know. Yeah, Like like it's funny because he didn't score The Patriot, right, and you're like, well, why wouldn't you get David l oh Well, John Williams. That's why got right. That's like, that's the only acceptable substitute. If you got John Williams to do this, maybe I'm interested, you know, I'd like.
Speaker 1: To watch that again, The Patriot. I remember liking that movie. I haven't seen it in a while.
Speaker 2: I remember it feels like prestige meets Rollan Emeric.
Speaker 1: Yes in a successful way, right, a little elevated for a Rollin Emerick movie, but it still has the like, you know, sniveling bad guy, stupid boy. Yeah exactly exactly, And it's like, yeah, I know, I.
Speaker 2: Know the Church put the people in the church and put it. But you're like, oh, that guy's gotta pay. Yeah, it's fine. I was watching a few minutes of that, and my oldest just like, hey, we've never seen this. I'm like, maybe we will. Maybe we will. Son, Maybe maybe we will, boy, maybe we will. Yeah that was that was peek Mel Gibson, Oh, totally yeah. Right. It feels like there was sort of a rapid dissent that followed a shortly after her. Ye ye, well there you go. But yeah, so this sequence here again, you know, I think the missed opportunity is you've got a great actress and Celia a Ward and and this, so you know, we're at roughly the halfway point here the death of the president should really hit yeah, and and it just doesn't for whatever reason. I know, like like, you know, Patricia has a relationship with her. Clearly we don't see her react, you know, like, yeah, that's a good point, Like just just play it off of her face, you know, you know, the people come in to administer the oath to Fickner, and then we just see her face and maybe you know, she's we just see a tear rolling down her cheeks.
Speaker 3: Something you know something something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting is they do have of books that came out after the first movie, So there have been sequels written.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're about.
Speaker 1: I didn't really dig into it that I thought that was kind of fascinating and I wonder what those stories were interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, there were sequel novels to Stargate before the television show started that I did read, and those were fascinating because especially like in light of the TV show, you see, because my sense is that they were based on Emeric and Devlin's ideas for what they would have done with Stargate. No interesting, so it just it went in a vastly different direction, you know. Yeah, so I would assume Independence Day is something similar. You know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of cool, I mean, especially if you're a fan. By the way, so the Fickener's swearing in thing. Yeah, like we didn't even get like a close up of like him hearing the news that the president has passed away.
Speaker 3: You know, it'd be kind of interesting. I don't know any I think.
Speaker 1: It's Elizabeth if you know, it's like, well, the president and is dead now and just seeing him go like Elizabeth like she's a person, yeah, you know, like and then it's like now it's you and him is standing straighter and like, okay, well I gotta do what I gotta do, like just something to bring some humanity into it. But it's we don't really get a reaction from him. He puts his hand on the Bible and then we're out, we cut to something else. It's like, now let's let's live in this here.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I think part of it, I mean it just Fickner is such a good actor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's just it helps that that he carries a certain gravitas, you know. H Like, I think it's interesting like in in the Dark Night he that could have been anybody.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, yeah, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Would you you think he's going to be a bigger character, right yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think it's just as now he's gonna bring like you're gonna remember him. H you know. Uh, So that that is that is frustrating that you know, we don't we don't do something more interesting with him, and and you know, have have Wit more be there as kind of a mentor figure m instead of like this right here, this is supposed to be the equivalent of the yes we will not go quietly speech. Yeah, man, does this suck? It? Does? You know?
Speaker 1: Not just for us as an audience, but I do wonder if you were there in that room, if you'd be like, oh, he's like doing the thing, and it's like, I don't know if this is meeting the moment, Like this is kind of uncomfortable, you know.
Speaker 2: It feels like in Rise of Skywalker, where remember when when Orlando gives Poe like the inspirational.
Speaker 3: Speech oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes right, and.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like, I mean, that's not like raw Ra in this, but I feel like that hits certain beats that make it work. And this could have been at least at that level. But it's like the wrong time in the movie. It feels like yeah, yeah right, but it didn't have to be because we did just lose the president, Like this could be that that that really low moment and we're seeing everybody like all is lost, Like what holds do we have? So you give that angst to William Fickner. Yeah, and then you have whitmore coming in yes right, yes, and be the Lando Yep, you fixed it. You're very good at this, that's I have to say whenever. I mean, I was not expecting to revisit this ten years later and be like, holy shit, what a hidden gem I missed? You know, I say, figured my opinion would stay the same, but I was like, you know, I feel like we'll have an interesting discussion same.
Speaker 1: And I you know, I don't regret rewatching it.
Speaker 2: It is fascinating.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes this is some of the most interesting things we can do. I'm just I don't know if it is anybody else, but for me and you like, it's kind of cool to watch this and go, wait, why is this not working? Let's think about it. Let's spitball. What what could we tweak that's already here? How can we tweak this and get it on track? That's always kind of a fun exercise with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well what we're seeing right there? With that, with that again that that apple poke ball, this other race is involved, right yes, And to me, this is probably the single most interesting part of the story is that other races that these freakin' assholes have have conquered have sought us out because because they're like, we're the only ones who've defeated them. Help us Yep, that's interesting. Yeah, but I think you need to give us a window into that, you know, like show us even if it's like on a screen, like in that thing, showing images of all these other worlds that have been raised by by these aliens. Right, Yeah, but the problem is forget these like quote unquote good guy aliens. We don't get any insight into them. We don't get any additional insight into the bad guy aliens. Yeah at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just yeah creatures in shadow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Like I think I think that's you're missed opportunity, right, because like the film, this one starts with you know, the the alien queen or whatever you know, comes across the first film on TBS or something gets pissed off. Actually what happens. Yeah, it's like and there's Pullman's speech and they get all mad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like being being through space or something, right, and they.
Speaker 2: Which I mean literally because it's like the exact footage from the movie. Yeah, how did they get that footage? You know that's funny because that's in Godzilla the Emeric and Devil in Godzilla, if you remember, it's a plot point about how there's like the footage of the old Japanese man. Do you remember this?
Speaker 3: It's like Quotira, Yeah, I do remember the man, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like that footage, Like it's like they it's like the characters in the movie have the rushes from the movie, right, right, right, because it's the exact same angle. It's like what we saw in the movie, right right, that's something similar here, you know, but based on what we've seen the original film, the sense is like they're not They don't think of us as as as intelligent species. We're just insects to be to be eradicated, right, So what would make them want revenge? Right? Like, yeah, there's like there's something interest there. Right, this is the first time they've had somebody defeat them, and now they realize there's more twists than you know what I mean, like because their plan is different in this one. Oh, they're doing the drilling into the you know, the core or whatever. Well they didn't do that before.
Speaker 1: Right, and that it's like for an energy source, right, right, So what's different like get into that right? Yeah, I mean, I guess it's hard to reconcile why it took them twenty years to retaliate, but maybe it doesn't have to be twenty years.
Speaker 2: That's that's a good point. Actually, didn't need to be twenty years. I do like that though. Yeah, this is their first defeat. Well maybe not.
Speaker 1: I guess it's this other species that defeated them once. But well, so they're being they need help because they know how to defeat them, but they're being sort of pummeled for it, I guess yeah, and so maybe yeah, now they're going to retaliate against us, and they can say, like, that's what they do. You hold them off you that's great, but they come back and they come back harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see that's interesting. Yeah, and it's like we we got cocky mm hmmm, because we're like, hey, we kick their asses and it's been twenty years they haven't come back and we just weren't ready.
Speaker 3: And now we have flying cars and everything's cool, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do love what Emeric does really well is he makes his movies worldwide stories, and like you were saying earlier with the Warlord character, I do like that he his experience.
Speaker 3: You know, the world's a big place.
Speaker 1: He had a different experience over there with these aliens because that ship actually touched down. Yeah, right, So he's got a different skill set than the people in Washington, DC versus someone over in France or you know, right, And so I do like him being incorporated here because he's got a skill set and just you know, the ragtag group of people that would otherwise never be together. That is a fun thing. I don't know it's used to its fullest potential, but it is fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, well I said before, I mean that that would have been an interesting movie to see, you know see, And I wonder about that too, right, did they just wait too long? I mean we were talking about this before. Was is it simply like, you know, you should have come back ten years later with a sequel and kind of prime the pump a little bit, make this a living, breathing franchise as opposed to a thing twenty years later after people stopped caring. You know, it's interesting. I saw that.
Speaker 1: I guess Fox paid Dean devil In a lot of money to write a script for a sequel, and he did finish one, but he didn't feel good about it and he gave the money back, So.
Speaker 2: For him, I actually that's pretty Yeah. I respect that.
Speaker 1: But then, yes, I guess about fifteen years later, he's like, wait, I think I might have cracked this. Talked to Emeric, but time had moved on a little bit. Will Smith had a busy schedule. Yeah, and even Emeric has said that, you know, not having Smith, we probably.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't have done it, shouldn't have done it.
Speaker 1: He's like, we had a much better script, and then once he was out, we cobbled together something really quickly, and that's just not the way to make a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was reading about how well, I mean, there's like five credited you know, writers on it, so you already know it's kind of a Frankenstein monster everything. But they had James Vanderbilt, who did White House Down, Okay, essentially take the script they had and basically remove Will Smith from it. And so you do wonder, well, what did it look like when Stephen Hiller was a character?
Speaker 1: Wow, you just unlocked something in my brain. I feel like the version of the script I read had Will Smith's son in it still, but they were like held captive somewhere in like a big football stadium, like they had been turned into a prison camp.
Speaker 2: Interesting. The sun is, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: That was just I'm like having a vision like something I haven't thought about in ten years or something, but uh yeah, I just remember that visual.
Speaker 2: In my mind.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure there are a lot of versions of this.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did try to find if there was a script online with the Will Smith Hiller character in it.
Speaker 2: But I couldn't find one. Okay, Yeah, I mean it's it's clear like there there's business that that the you know, the fighter pilot portion of the story would clearly have involved him in some way, shape or form. But I just, you know, I mean, I wonder what the relationship is between him and the Sun do you do you have them? Is strange? Maybe like it's this, you know, it's it's Jake and Dylan in this movie, but maybe it's it's Hiller senior and the younger one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who has feels like he can't live up or he's living.
Speaker 2: In a shadow of Maverick, Maverick and Ruth exactly. Yeah. Yeah, right, yeah, So, well she's a pilot. There's a lot of a lot of our characters are pilots here. A lot of these people could do this. Yeah. See, so so this is what I'm talking about. Yeah, I was gonna say, I I want you to talk me through this. So the idea here is somebody has to go in there, but it's certain depth. And he's like, well, then I'm going to do it. And I'm like, I think that's a mistake because we're just waiting for him to die.
Speaker 3: Then oh I see, I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you get what I'm saying, Like like, if it's if it's let me put it asuy. If if he's doing the noble sacrifice knowingly, then you don't have him die. But if he's going to succeed sacrificing himself, you don't telegraph.
Speaker 1: It, yes, because then all the tension is gone and all the emotion is gone because that's what he signed up to do, and then he does it and then over right, Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: So to me that that's so number one, that earlier scene with the when he goes into the chamber, you don't have that be a suicidal situation. You have it like they think he's he's in danger, but he's actually in full control. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, he's like tell me and then he you know, and then and then he he has this moment he's like looking it into its eyes and then and then the door opens he's like this is their plan.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm right, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that's that. And then here again, either you have him say all right, I'm going to sacrifice myself and then at the last minute it's not or again if you if you, I'm fine either way. As far as whether Whitmore lives or dies, my only thing is how does it happen for manimum impact? For what's what's the most emotional impact? Yeah? Yeah, you know, because again say what you will. I think I think Han Solo's death hits on an emotional level and it's like, well, why what what makes that work? Let's reverse engineer that. And I think that's you know, it's it's because it because it's like at that moment again, he's not like going into it like all right, this is my suicide mission. It's when he steps onto the catwalk, you're like, oh no, yeah, I know what's about to happen, right, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Yet you're still you know, leaning forward and listening, you know, hanging on every word between them and hoping it won't happen. It still makes you believe maybe it might not exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so on top of all of that, with with whitmore, the heroic sacrifice ends up being meaningless.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm gonna die in forty five minutes. See you there. It's basically what you're saying, right.
Speaker 2: Really, that's what it is. Yeah, live stream, you know, to go out and and and and he doesn't accomplish anything. So yeah, it's freaking bullshit. This is weird, right, because watching this, I was literally like, was there a writer's strike or something like? No? Right, because sometimes you can write off some of these decisions right, right, you know, because it's just pencils down, right, because I think that's what happened with Terminator Salvation, right, Yeah, that feels right. The timing area it up. It's like, I don't think there's a writer's strike. No, it was just shitty story construction.
Speaker 1: And also maybe just like you know, out of this thing's in motion, it's going to happen at this point. Maybe they put a lot of money into pre production and all that sort of thing, and it's like, no, this, we're going to put this out on this date, figure out what it is, versus ever feeling good about what they had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and clearly they didn't feel good about what they had. But because Yeah, they're they're open about it. Yeah, I mean it went into production, they assumed the name, the name of the film would get people in theaters, so they wildly overestimated how much demand there was. Yeah, without again a big star really out there selling, and you kind of you realize, you know, the marketing environment for selling movies has obviously changed a lot, but certainly now in you know, ten years after the movie came out. You know, when you watch YouTube, there's a movie coming out, and you see all like the YouTube shows that stars show up on you know what I mean, Yeah, like hot ones or oh looking back at their career whatever, and you realize, like how important that visibility is. And so who in this movie had the kind of sort of algorithmic reach to break through other than Will Smith?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or I mean maybe they were hoping one would this would be their moment, but it's just I don't know, none of these characters even have strong enough a moment in this movie too.
Speaker 3: You know, you walk away remembering what they do.
Speaker 2: I mean I said this previously, but you know, this is a year out from Phantom from Force Awakens, and I'm like, imagine Force Awakens, but you you don't like Ray Poe or Finn right right, or Kylo Wren.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing good. I was thinking that actually right now. And this is I kept thinking of Starship Troopers for some reason when I was watching this, Like at least that gang has an understandable chummy vibe so that when they experience highs and lows and losses, it's you know, as goofy as that movie is, you're tracking with it and you feel it to some degree. But here we should be feeling great for this gang, like our gang is together and they're in this crazy scare and they have to do this thing. They have to pull this off to save the world. But like, I don't. I don't feel anything for these people, yeah, or or they're friendships, that's you know, I don't know. Well, I think I'm repeating himself in that, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I I understand what you're saying. And I think the problem is that Dylan should really be our end to these other characters. So you make Dylan, Like, okay, so probably you don't cast Jesse Usher and or you have a better script, so that's like step one, right, But you make Dylan likable and then and then we meet the other characters through him. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, the great Dylan Hiller, like we're all aware of your dad, you know kind of thing he's got. He's he's working against something. But then he proves himself and they had this undeniable bond in friendship. And then they go into hell together and come out and it feels so.
Speaker 2: And I I think it's all it's a mistake to have this sort of this uh not rivalry is the wrong word, but like you know, him and Jake like don't don't get along. Yeah, and then they they work through it because I think it's more interesting if they're buddies and we get to see how they're you know, one kind of has this gear, the other has this gear. And the Charlie character is totally unessential, don't need him at all. Yeah, we focus on on these two, but it's it's I'm I'm like, you realize, like it's like, oh, the angela baby character, we need her because you know China, and but we need her to I guess we need this Charlie character because otherwise she's just there, she's.
Speaker 1: Not yeah right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I know it's funny though, because I feel like that Charlie character in this version, we do need him because otherwise there's nothing interesting happening with any of those people. I at least he has a twinge of personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that personality would have mattered when he died. Oops. Yeah yeah, sorry, Patty, I have to go die now.
Speaker 1: He should have just kept saying it just to continually take away the impact.
Speaker 2: For the rest of the movie. Well, dying to save the planet. Literally, no, seriously, I'm about to Oh look, there's a Snickers bar in here, my last Snickers bar. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is so random, Judd jud Hirsh So I'm like, his whole thing is I got to get.
Speaker 3: To my boy why Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: And there's no point in anything he's just It almost makes him look stupid because now he's gonna screw up the whole plan just by arriving when he had no reason to need to arrive, or he's not holding some secret that's gonna help, or like you're wrong, your calculations are wrong, Like usually that would be what this person would be doing, and they've got to get there. Definitely that, But all you needed was one scene earlier in the film where Julius and David talk to each other and David says, you got to get here or don't try to come here some right, yeah, either one of those, yep, because they don't actually speak until like, you know, five minutes from now.
Speaker 1: And it's basically like, what are you doing here? You're like messing everything up exactly right.
Speaker 2: So it's either you need to get here and Julius is like, Okay, I got to get there no matter what, or again, you know, stay away from here and Julius like, no, I have this vital information I need to tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Either one of those, totally yeah. Otherwise it just makes them look foolish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really. It feels like they signed jud Hirsh and then they were like oh shit, oh shit. They got the draft turned in and he was like, well this wait jud Hirsh gets the pages. He's like, uh uh, Fellas, just I noticed something. Yeah, I don't I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I notice a lack of me. I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I like that you got a jut Hirsh. This is the moment Zachie, this is the moment. Use it. Use it as much as you can, because in twenty minutes, I don't know how often you're gonna be able to pull that one out by jut hirsh impression.
Speaker 3: But look at all this terrible lighting on everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's clearly on a sound stage, they might as well I've shot this in the volume. Yes, yes, yeah, and it just just just go to the desert to set some cameras up. What are you doing? I know, I know, it's it. It's baffling. See some of this, I'm confused. Some of it does look like it's outside. This does not at all. No, this This was the moment where I was like, is this shot during COVID? That was you know, not these guys again. But I do. I like this plan.
Speaker 1: You know, when this plan was being set up and they're like, Okay, we'll have the decoy and then we'll put the bomb in this thing and it'll be we'll put the shields around it.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I love like a really clear plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And sometimes movies just feel like they have to overcomplicate things, and I was like, this is this is good?
Speaker 2: I like this. Yeah, I think the broad strokes of the plan work. I think that see okay, so here sorry, last talk with my daughter, see I can right, like, no, you have them together. And then he makes a last second thing to sacrifice himself to save his daughter.
Speaker 1: Yes and maybe yes, they're racing together, and maybe he dings her wing or something, forcing her to have to eject so he can go forward.
Speaker 2: See again, you give him the the Russell Case Randy Quaid sacrifice, which is really still all these years later, really impactful in his kids hearing him over the radio, I'm telling you, you know, when he processes what he's about to do, and then he says, I want you to tell my children I love them very much. Mm hmmm. It's great, totally right, And so you give I mean, and it's appropriate because Russell Case sacrifices himself for the president, and so now you give that moment, you know, you give that moment to the president in this one.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, and it'd be yep, surprising and emotional. We love this character. We're already attached to him because of two movies.
Speaker 2: Like like literally you have In his final moment, he says something like like never stop flying or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, ah, they've been really sweet, right yeah.
Speaker 2: Like like even even you know, on Behalf of the People of Earth Happy Fourth of July. I think that all works, but it only works if it actually works. And so the fact that he blew himself up, it's like the guy in conk Skull Island, remember, yes Shay Wigham character, he gives himself the heroic sacrifice and it doesn't amount to shit. Yeah, he gets like flicked away then blown up. Which it's so funny because people take that clip out of context and they're like, what a stupid he would you know, And I'm like, well, I think it was meant like the film was critiquing the whole idea of the heroic sacrifice. Again, the context of the film, it works. It's just but if you if you're doing a freaking TikTok thing, right right? Yeah you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, By the way, this is totally going to be like a little dated already, but I got to ask you this when you brought up TikTok. Have you seen the trailer for the movie Hext, that new Disney animated movie.
Speaker 2: No, I have not.
Speaker 1: So I've seen online where people are pointing out that every almost every shot in that trailer, the character is dead center in the middle of the screen, which they're like, wow, that's unusual framing. And now they're wondering if it was done intentionally so it'd be easy to dice it up into TikTok clips.
Speaker 2: Fascinating? Is that interesting? I wonder? I love these conspiracies. It's like this conspiracy I just found out about recently where the reason uh Disney called the movie Frozen frozen was so that if you googled Disney Frozen, the first thing that came up wouldn't be about Walt Disney's frozen head right right, right right, which is just bonkers enough to maybe be true.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, even with the TikTok hex thing when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to Susan Sarandon character by the way, okay, wait, wait, let's look at this.
Speaker 1: There's like an overhead sort of helicopter looking shot of it, and I was like, you know what, it looks good with the I think maybe because that that was cool.
Speaker 2: That's a cool shot, and I think I don't mind it in isolation, but it feels totally dissonant that suddenly we're in like a Kaiju movie. Yeah, I mean, I can't disagree, but I don't. I mean, that's on the list of critiques, that's a very small one.
Speaker 1: Just to be clear, Well, I think you know what I'm realizing. Why I'm reacting so strongly to it is because of what we said right from the very beginning of this commentary, which is nothing on in this movie feels grounded right down to these people existing in the desert. Even that doesn't feel like that's real, right, because it feels like they're inside a stage with like a fake light simulating the sun and it looks phony. However, that shot because it's probably not real, it was made a computer, but it looks like it's in an actual earth bound environment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's exciting to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, I I think that you know it. It's it's a little bit like remember the the Predator movie, the Shane Black one. I remember parts of it. Yeah, admittedly I'm kind of with you, but there's like a super size predator in that, like, like you know, most predators are like.
Speaker 3: A tall dude, yeah right, yeah, like seven foot or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it's like a twenty foot tall predator. Wow, you know, what.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't blame you, but I remember watching that mean like that, I don't that doesn't work for me. Mm yeah it it doesn't fit with with what we know of this this universe. Yeah. Yeah, So I think I have a similar reaction to this where I'm okay, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I you know what, you just made me understand your position. I totally get it. I mean, I still like the way it looks, but at this point I'm like, at least I'm enjoying the way something looks in here.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but I get it. It doesn't well.
Speaker 2: I think I think the design of the creatures just to just to kind of echo what you're saying. I think Patrick to Topless made a really interesting creature in that original film. Totally agree, And it stands out and we haven't seen a lot of in the years since. You know, it's not like a Cloverfield thing where a whole bunch of things look just like it. You know, the Independence Day aliens do you know they're kind of in their own lane. M h yep.
Speaker 1: They're like a nice hybrid of a humanoid slash the Grays kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's all the grays and the xenomorphs. Yep. You put them in a blender and you get something kind of interesting, you know. Yep. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: Wait, so do they end up shooting it in the back because the Warlord character keeps talking about gotta get him from the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And because this whole it's like a armor. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh is that how he gets through? I couldn't remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, because the alien the sorry, yeah, the Warlord is like, yeah, you have to get him from the back. See this, this sequence here is really where a killer score would have helped. Yeah, you know, totally well.
Speaker 1: And your sacrifice thing with the president, I mean, if we were having carrying that in our hearts right now.
Speaker 2: That yeah, it's just real. That's frustrating. I mean, I mean the most emotional death in this film is coming up here with with Oaken's husband. I was going to say that I'd kind of forgot about this character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but watching.
Speaker 1: Them say goodbye to each other, I was like, oh wow, like that was really nice. It's very as well written as well acted. I really felt something.
Speaker 2: That's That's what I'm saying, Like I'm like, Brent Spiner gets the most range to play in this film. You know. Yeah, I saw somebody online had cut together a montage of Liam Neeson, Liam Neeson, Liam Hemsworth yelling in this movie. Oh really, he does do that a lot. I didn't even pick up on that. Yeah, it was shoot. Where did I see that? I can't remember now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, no matter where these people are standing in the desert, there's always a shadow on their face, even when they're facing one another.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's not how light works.
Speaker 2: That's such a good point, right, Like, just when when you drop something fantastical into an environment that that we read as real, it makes such a difference in how we process totally totally, because even if we're talking about like a desert, right like at the end of the original film, you know when when Will Smith and Jeff Goldman's characters they crashed in the desert, looks like a real desert, you know. See, so this guy he's had it's his arc, not the warlord, the nerd in a screech, yeah, screech. It's such a like tropy arc, you know. Yeah, this is right here, right, It's sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, you know, and because they've spent some real time on it.
Speaker 2: Well, the fact that we established that the whole time Brent Spiner was in a coma, he was looking after him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is it's it doesn't even take up that much time, right, you know, but they just didn't take the care with these other guys for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It kind of what you said before, right, like, give us, give us fifty teen additional minutes of character development and see how much it makes the other two hours go down easier.
Speaker 1: Oh totally, you won't feel it if it's worth it. Yeah, Oh, I forgot. That is such a good line, the h where he gave him that scarf and he's like, I've got something I got to tell you. This was supposed to be a sweater. What a beautiful, sad, funny last line. That's great, that's great. Yeah, the writer should have saved that for another movie.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt that that was James Vanderbilt who wrote that line. I mean, he's a good writer. Yeah, you know, I interviewed him. Oh gosh, what must have been like twenty fourteen. I can't remember. It's for the movie truth. Wait, remind me that's that's about sixty minutes and they did it. It's Kate Blanchett and Robert Redford. Robert Redford plays Dan rather Man.
Speaker 3: That's like on the tip of my brain, but okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about how sixty minutes thought they had proved that George W. Bush had lied about his National Guard service. Okay, and the subsequent what ends up happening. It resulted in Dan rather having to leave CBS. Okay, feels like such a quaint journalistic expose story given all the fucking bullshit that's going on right now. But anyway, I interviewed him about that film. He because he wrote and directed it. Oh okay, so that would have been before this. I'm pretty sure. I feeling actually, I don't want to say the wrong thing on me.
Speaker 1: Look that up by the way, credit where credits do When we see this swarm of ships around the queen, looks pretty good, I agree, Unlike the confusing, disorienting melee earlier. This is a lot of stuff happening, but I can make sense of all of it, and it makes sense story wise, and I think it looks really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's a broad sense of what we're trying. I accomplish which I think helps so truth. I should say it came out twenty fifteen, okay, the year before. I remember when I talked to him. I was a big fan of White House Down, and that was a movie that underperformed, but I was like a champion of that movie. And I think I've told you this. There's one line in there that always cracks me up. It's where the terrorists. It's like James Wood is their leader and Jason Clark is like the grunt, you know, okay, and so they're trying to capture the president who's played by Jamie Fox. He got away and so James Wood's so Jason Clark is getting all mad, like, oh he got away, and James was like, just relax, we'll find him here. You want some cake, And Jason Clark goes, no, I don't want cake. I have diabetes. I remember that, yeah, And just I was in the theater and I was like, I just thought it was so funny. So I told him that, and he was just delighted by that. I should rewatch that.
Speaker 1: I saw it when it came out, and I remember enjoying it, but I don't remember a thing about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just like it knows what it is and it's good at being what it is, you know. Yeah, sure, because it was one of two White House diehard movies, you.
Speaker 3: Know, oh yeah, that's right, right, the one with Gerard Butler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Olympus Has Fallen. I thought was like trying to play you know, that's the one where they're beating up what's her name, Melissa Leo and she's like, God, bless America. You know. I'm like, oh my god too. You can't do Ernest here, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, And I remember it was like, yeah, the type of movie where they take like a big dagger and stick it in someone the top of their skull. And I was like, oh, good, all right, that's what this that's what this is. That's what this is, right, Yeah. See see I was thinking about how, you know, in the in the original film, right, we get Russell Case does his big sacrifice play the mothership explodes, right, but the true ending is just you know, Stephen Hiller and David Levin and are on the the ship in space and it's you know, and then it's about whether they get out, you know. So in others you follow a big, a big explodeing thing with the well, I mean, there is another big exploding thing, but it's just the two characters and then they decide, okay, we're going to sacrifice ourselves, right, and then and then it's whether they escape or not. And I think that structurally that works better because we're more invested in those two characters. Right, Yeah, I think fundamentally here it's like again we're back with these this salvage crew. Yeah, they don't do anything, Like, what's the point of them? It's so weird, you're totally right. Wow. Right, So the third act really just kind of falls in on itself because it's very clear they did not know how to end the movie, right because of the way. You know, Brent Spiner comes running up and he's like, oh, by the way, you know, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Right right, you know, yeah, we're going to warn another galaxy.
Speaker 2: Yay. It's you know, it's it's it's like the end of Rise of Skywalker, right, Like, why does that not really hit because it's just we've seen it before. Oh look, the Emperor is dead again. Oh look, you know people are celebrating all over the galaxy.
Speaker 3: Yep, well we've seen that, We've seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And so this is it's like a lesser version of the thing that we already saw. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this looks like the light on them so wonky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's very obviously she's not outside. Yeah, but I really wish I cared about this trio. I think that if if Stephen Hiller is in fact dead, then there has to be something in this third act that has Dylan something redemptive with regards to his dad, like, I hope you're proud of me, dad, something.
Speaker 1: Right, totally yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, some issue they had or something.
Speaker 2: You know, it would have been very easy to do. The other thing I was thinking about, I'm like, why make it so final that he is dead?
Speaker 3: I was wondering, like what if, yeah, maybe he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Maybe they thought he had crashed, but maybe he was taken and then they discover he's been held captive all these years or something, and then they release them and now he's kind of kooky, right because they've been in his head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like let's say, okay, it's for sure Will Smith is not in this movie. Then then you say, you know, fifteen years ago, Steven Hiller led a mission into space and he was never heard from again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Well that would have been yeah if they really thought they were making a third one, right, Yeah, don't box yourself into the corner saying.
Speaker 2: Right, it's odd. Yeah. I sorry, I'm being quiet because I'm like I don't even remember this. I was like, wait, what's happening here? You just saw it like two days ago. Yeah, anyway, Sorry, I have to admit I do like this one moment where this the Warlord's like you have the heart of a warrior because it's so weirdly earnest for that relationship.
Speaker 1: You know it see exact kind of thing Emeric does in a bunch of other movies. Maybe just a little better, but yeah, like it is satisfying seeing these two opposites share a moment during vig.
Speaker 2: It's funny like we don't really get insight into the warlord and it's like, well does he have like child soldiers? Like what kind of warlord is? You know? I know, like like do you want his compliment? Maybe you don't, you know.
Speaker 1: I remember thinking those sorts of things when it first came out, And then I did notice a line at the beginning where it was sort of like, well that was my dad or something.
Speaker 2: So this like ad R right right right.
Speaker 1: I'm probably even remembering it wrong, but I think they did something like that, were like, I, you know, he was like this, but I am me.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in child soldiers. Yeah eighteen plus only right right in my army this ball.
Speaker 1: I wish the ball had like more personality, like, oh hey, it's up, yeah, like I should be voiced by Christen Wig.
Speaker 2: I was thinking Orco voice, So I guess we were kind of in the same Actually, I like Orco Yeah, are we ready to go? Yeah? Exactly, you know, I just give us a minute. What a weird way to end the movie. We're gonna kick some serious alien ass.
Speaker 3: And thinking that we're gonna be like, yes, give it to me now.
Speaker 2: I remember the movie ending and saying to myself, fu, yeah right right as soon as the credits came up. Yeah, because I was like, how effing tear you? You know, specifically for people who aren't watching along, what do you mean? Well, just the ending is this insulting sequel tease? And you know, about twenty minutes into this there will never be a sequel to yeah, right, yeah, yeah, And so it's it's not only it's not even just the fact that it's it's teasing a sequel that's never gonna happen. I'm like it it has a sequel tease in lieu of an ending that's emotionally satisfying, totally. You're right, Like the first film ends and Will Smith's like, didn't I promise you? Fireworks boom perfect, final life perfect, right, and then you know, the music comes up, So that's what it was. It was a You're gonna kick some alien ass and then final insult. David Arnold's theme comes up, and I'm like, you read pastored sons of pitches. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also kind of like, let us have some catharsis from this. We've apparently cared about what happened for the past two hours, and now it's just been solved. But it's immediately like no, no, no, the real battles out there like okay, yeah, yeah, you don't even give us a moment to.
Speaker 2: Savor what they've just been through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you said, and they interrupt that for a sequel we know won't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Independence Day Resurgence. Yeah, well it was gonna be I D Forever. Okay. Part one and Part two yeah, which that that's you know, that's bad. Regardless resurgence too, that feels very focus grouped, you know. Sure, but no, just looking at the credit list, I'm I'm fascinated by the fact that Liam Hemsworth his top build. Wow, right, because I'm just like, well, I'm wondering did his agent like do some some some you know, negotiation food. That's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I like that expression, or or they're like, we.
Speaker 2: Got another Hemsworth, we got another list.
Speaker 1: You know, like we we we found another gold nugget in a cave and we we are going to capitalize on this guy. We are like going to get him to a contract for Fox and you know, Marvel can have that one. We got this one, and it I wonder if it was something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's weird because even watching the film, he doesn't feel like the lead to me. No, yeah, yeah, that's a good point. You know, he's a lead, we get it, but he doesn't feel like the main character. You know. And again this is just this we're just saying the same thing. But I mean that's something that Will Smith was able to to just sort of thanks to his personality, really make himself the first among equals, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even at one point, I obviously this is a different experience at watching it with the sound off with you. But Jeff Goldblum, when he was in the bus at the end, I was kind of like, oh, yeah, Jeff Golbloom.
Speaker 2: You know, Jeff Goldblum, who you have to give credit. He he knows the assignment, Yeah, what people are turning up for totally. He knows why he's making them that that sweet sweet independence Day two money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love him, but I do feel like he works best when he's bouncing off of someone, I.
Speaker 2: Think, so, you know, yeah, and you know, I think that that's that's where you weave in William Fickner a little bit more or somebody you know, to kind of have that push and pull, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what's so satisfying in the first one is he is very smart, but he's kind of at odds with most people. You know, they don't either want him there or they don't trust him, or who's this guy? But he knows he's right and he's got to be there. And yeah, it's a good thing he is.
Speaker 2: See. I think what they you know, they needed to bring back Harvey Firestein. Yeah, well, I don't know you made it. Well, we didn't think Brent Speiner made it. Touche touche. He's a he's a cyborg in this one. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually I would love it if he was like now married to his lawyer, just to bring that back, you know, call this person, call whatever, like I forget my lawyer and it's just like turns out I'm in love with my lawyer.
Speaker 3: Like I would just love just for me. That would tickles me.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, So well, hey, we have now watched Independence Day Resurgence for the third and dare I say final time? I think so? I think so. I think we can. We can put this one the in the lock box right for eternity. Oh man, I wonder do you think this will be the final time anyone or I don't know if anyone else has up to this moment, but anyone will record a commentary track for Independence Day Resurgence? Is this our stick pin in history?
Speaker 1: If we could see all the facts of the world in some amazing book that collects this sort of like detail, it's like, wow, actually.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not?
Speaker 1: The last time anyone recorded commentary Independence Date two with Zakiyasan and Brian Hall in year twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know, I'm it. It's like that old saying. One day somebody recorded the final commentary track for Independence Day Resurgence, and we didn't even know. We didn't even know exactly exactly. You know, Yeah, we might be in that moment right now. I wonder, well, hey, so final thoughts? Uh?
Speaker 1: You know what is funny When the movie ended the other night, when I was actually watching it, I did think, look, this isn't very good.
Speaker 2: It just didn't work Normally, he's so good.
Speaker 3: Even though his movies are.
Speaker 1: Very popcorn and kind of corny and feature very obvious tropes, they still kind of work, like in a base sort of way, the way that you connect with people and just want to see a ragtag group of people save the day.
Speaker 3: You know, he's just really good at that.
Speaker 1: And somehow he wasn't able to harness that for this movie in a way that worked for me. And at the same time, it still feels like it was made by someone who's capable.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes you watch a movie like.
Speaker 1: This and you're like, wow, this person doesn't know where to put the camera this person.
Speaker 3: This editing is weird. This pert, you know, why were they direct did to do that?
Speaker 2: Like it?
Speaker 1: There's like capable skill, I think on display, but the script doesn't work, The characters aren't interesting, you know, all that stuff's not working. But still the action set pieces feel you know, they have some skill to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 1: You can see that this is someone who does know what they're doing, but this was just not their day.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Well, it absolutely does. Although the only addendum I would offer is that in the decade sense that he is only directed to additional films that is a great point, neither of which were his day.
Speaker 1: Also, and I guess it happens, right, I mean, even look at someone like Francis Ford Coppola. That's right, you know what I mean, you get Apocalypse now, then you get Jack, you know, like I just it's strange how that happens.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I remember it was at Moonfall. Moonfall. Yeah, that was a COVID movie and you could tell that was a movie where I think I dvr'd that one night because I thought, wow, Roland Emeric movie I've never seen, kind of curious, and I turned it off. Twenty minutes in. Isn't that sad? Yeah? I saw it in the theater and is pretty rough really, Yeah, and I had a very similar reaction where, you know, it was very obvious that they were working under pandemic conditions, and so you're kind of like, you give them, you give them an a for effort kind of thing. You know, this was not that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shame, Yeah, you you your your wrap up thoughts.
Speaker 2: I think that you know what I said ten years ago is I didn't hate this movie. I just didn't have any feelings about it at all, you know, because hate implies more effort than even the filmmakers put in. It feels like right, and you know, it's not even like, oh, it ruined the first one retrospectively for me, because this sequel is so entirely forgettable that it's like like, I'm I'm happy to revisit the first film whenever you know, it's it's Independence Day weekend, I'll probably watch it, but I'm also happy to just put this one back in the drawer and never watch it again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it doesn't even feel related to it. Frankly, I mean, you you hit it right on the head, right off the bat. Which is the first one has a groundedness and a humanity and a real sort of put yourself in the situation kind of fun to it that this one just simply doesn't have. So it's like you can't even mistake them, you know, for one another. And yeah, we'll just we'll keep going back to the first one and this one will drift off into the memory hole.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. But hey, let us know your thoughts on Independence Day resurgence. I actually very curious me too. You can email us at Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film and Podcast and message us there. If you're listening to this podcast on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and also leave comments there because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon.
Speaker 1: Page ran Yes, if you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving.
Speaker 2: Forward, absolutely ad free.
Speaker 1: In addition to that, you will find bonus conversations we drop about twice a month over there, which is just extra stuff that we just didn't have the space to fit into the show things we wanted to talk about, but we can't have our show be three hours long, so we drop those extra fun conversations over there. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads are interruptions, butting in, which can be especially annoying when you're trying to fall along with a commentary. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in Abele, please head over to patreon dot com, slash MOVIEFILM podcast and subscrib we'd be very.
Speaker 2: Grateful and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachie As this has been our movie film commentary track for Independence Day Resurgence. We will catch you next time. Thanks everybody,