Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: No, we're necessary void where everybody lost in terms of conditions of eating.
Speaker 3: Plus with the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Purchase necessary void We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for d Town.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about him Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening. Late one evening in the summer of nineteen twenty two, Henry Wilkins burst through the doors of the emergency room covered in his wife's blood. But was he a grieving husband or a ruthless killer who conspired with bandits to have her murdered. To find out, the San Francisco police turned to technology and a new machine that had just been invented in Berkeley by a rookie detective, a visionary police chief, and a teenage magician with a showman's touch. John Larson, Gus Volmer and Leonard Keeler hoped the lie Detector would make the justice system fairer, but the flawed device soon grew too powerful for them to control it. Poisoned their lives, turned fast friends into bitter enemies, and as it conquered America and the world, it transformed our relationship with the truth in ways that are still being felt as new forms of lie detection gained momentum in the present day. Tremmer's in the Blood reveals the incredible truth behind the creation of the polygraph through gripping true crime cases featuring explosive gunfights, shocking twists, and high stakes courtroom drama. Touching on psychology, technology and the science of the truth. Tremor's in the Blood is a vibrant, atmospheric thriller and a warning from history beware what you believe. The book that ever featuring this evening is Tremors in the Blood, Murder, Obsession, and the Birth of the lie Detector, with my special guest journalist and author Ammitt Katwawa. Welcome to the program and thank you very much for this interview.
Speaker 2: Ammitt Katwawa, Hi Dan, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, and congratulations on this truly extraordinary book.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Now tell us how you came to be the author of this book.
Speaker 2: So this book was sort of born backwards, so I'm a science and technology writer and my background is in psychology neuroscience. That's what I study at the university. And about four years ago now, I was watching Making a Murder of the true crime documentary on Netflix with Steveen Avery, and in the second season of Making a Murderer, in an attempt to clear his name, Stephen Avery does a test with a brain fingerprinting test, which is a kind of new form of lie detection test that uses brain Scandal says that you can use brainscans to tell whether someone's lying. And with my science, how and I was kind of thinking, this doesn't make any sense to me, I don't I would initially quite skeptical of this test. So I ended up doing a lot of reporting into new forms of live detection, so things like AI brain scans, other new technologies and that people claimed him to detect lies. But while I was doing that reporting, which ended up being an article for The Guardian and also being part of this book as well, I also found out about the crazy history of the polygraph and the men who created it. And actually what I found was that there were parallels between what happened one hundred years ago when the polygraph was invented, and what's happening today with these new forms of light detection? And I guess the purpose of the book as well as to entertain, and the former is also to maybe strike a warning. Though we don't learn the lessons of the mistakes that were made with the polygraph, then we risk falling into the same chrap again with new forms of detection in the future.
Speaker 6: Now, let's start as you do in the book. You take us to a very incredible scene. May thirtieth, nineteen twenty two. Henry Wilkins is with his family. He's a thirty six year old and his wife is 'sanna, she's thirty four, and they're with her two children, Henry Junior, an eight year old and Helen, three years old, and they were just coming back from a Felton auto park in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains about seventy miles south of San Francisco, where they lived. Take us to that incredible scene and what happens.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they're driving north towards San Francisco where they lived. It's kind of getting dark. Either's fog rolling in as there up in a San Francisco and Henry notices that there's a car following them. Henry's car is this bright yellow car. He's a mechanic, so he loves cars, and he's driving home with his family. He nexes this car following them, and the car's been following him for a while, and Henry notices that whenever he speeds up, the car behind him speeds up. Whenever he slows down, the car behind him slows down, And just to start coming into the city, the car kind of gets really really close to them, and he tries to speed up to get away from it, but the car kind of keeps nudging placer and closer and closer, and eventually the car forces Henry to the side of the road just in the western area of San Francisco, and Henry kind of hits the curbs, the lights go out, and then the next thing he knows is a guy standing at the window of the car pointing a gun at him, asking for money. Henry hands over three hundred dollars in cash, but then when the bandit asks for his wife's jewelry, Henry gets annoyed and he starts to reach for his gun, which he's got in the side pocket of his car, and then everything starts to happen very quickly. So what Henry says happened next is that as he's reaching for his gun to scare off the guy who's robbing him, the band that pulls out his own gun and shoots. And then what Henry says happens is that his wife, Anna throws herself in the front of the bullet, takes the bullet, the guy runs off. Henry's left in the car. His wife's bleeding from a wound in her chest or a stomach, and you know, he's left not knowing what to do. So then he drives to the nearest hospital, which is just further up in nineteenth Avenue, and someone's estating in the middle of the park. Rushes to hospital. They can't do anything for that hospital, soil they take her to another hospital. Henry follows in his car. By the time he arrives at the other hospital, the doctors tell her tell him that his wife has died, and you know, he is a straw. I think he collapses. You know, it's traumatic event for him. So this is the kind of central crime. At the first half of the.
Speaker 6: Book, there was a witness, a father and son Jacob Gorfinkel, who's an attorney. What does he witness related to this attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's kind of driving along and he witnesses two cars kind of speeding past him in close succession. So Henry's yellow car and then this other car following them, and then he sees and then and then Henry kind of comes a few minutes later, comes driving along, pulled up alongside him and says, help me. I need to help me get to the hospital. I don't know where the newest hospital is. So that's that's how it looks from this witnesses perspective, except that, and this is one of the first inconsistencies that been inter creaking to Henry's story that Henry describes the car differently to Gorfinkle. Right, So Henry says it's a particular type of car, and Golfre says it's a different type of car. And this might seem like a minor point, but obviously in those days the police lead on how solvers crime was looking for a red Dodge, but it wasn't a red Dodge. It was a dark blue Hudson car. So that's one of the first insonsistencies Henry's story and then over the following weeks, Henry's story about what happened on the night in question actually begins to unravel.
Speaker 6: What was the initial story about how much was stolen, and then the denomination of the bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Henry said that there were three one hundred dollar bills which were taken from him. This was the equivalent of about five thousand dollars in cash today, and that ends up being important because that's another way that the police try and track down who did this, because back then, one hundred dollars bills were pretty rare and a lot of people weren't earn in the minimum wage was, you know, twenty five cents an hour or something like that. So if you're walking around with one hundred dollar bill, then you very wealthy or there's something suspicious about it. So then what happens next is there's this kind of police hunt for these bandits. You know, Henry says there's kind of three men that were involved in this shooting because he saw them as the car was pulling up alongside him and forcing to the side of the road. He said he saw three men in this car. So there's this kind of statewide hunt for these men. And eventually they find these two brothers called Arthur and Walter Casta, and Arthur and Walter Caasta are all characters, just absolute villains, I guess, is any way you can put it, you know, sort of violent, prone to making terrible decisions. Their father was actually a police officer. Princes their police officer, so if they'd been murdered, and then after that, this family sort of went off the rails a little bit, and they're kind of in their twenties and thirties. Walter in particular is the I guess, loose cannon of the family. His kind of friends and family would say things like he makes bad decisions. His friends called him dizzy. He's like impulsed, he's like a child, he's prone to these violent outbursts. And then there's his younger brother, Arthur, who's kind of the more level headed of the two brothers. And they're actually like I think seven seven boys and also huge family. So that they get picked up basically at a garage in the mission, having tried to pay a bill player pay for a repair bill with one hundred dollars bill and the garage. Enna thinks this is suspicious, so he calls the police, and the police know the Caster brother's very well because they've been in trouble with the police before, so they bring them into questioning and then they bring Henry Wilkins in to identify the brothers in a police lineup. But Henry comes in and he says that he doesn't actually recognize either of the brothers as the men who robbed him and shot his wife. So the police let the to let the brothers go, that's the next step. And you know, Henry is still at this point kind of playing this innocent victim, this brief husband, this guy whose wife has been taken from him by this kind of random act of violence.
Speaker 6: Police do further investigation into the background and the marriage and what do they find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so as the police are digging around this case, they find out that, you know, Henry was kind of portraying the marriage as happy, but actually they find out that it wasn't a happy marriage and that a couple of weeks before she died and I had actually filed for a divorce. They talked to and his friends and family, and they find out that Henry was sometimes violent, sometimes he would hit Anna, and that this supposedly happy marriage had actually been unraveling, and I had been drinking more and more and more. Henry had been allegedly seeing other women. So there was a sense that things were bad in the marriage even before this happened, and that perhaps this patriots agree and husband that Henry was putting forward was a bit of a front.
Speaker 6: The detectives also talked to a garage owner that has something very interesting to say when they ask them if the Caster brothers had ever rented a vehicle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So obviously the car was like a real red herring because the description that Henry gave led the police completely down the wrong path. They were looking for the wrong car essentially. But then when they asked this garage owner whether the brothers had ever rented a car, yeah, so, well, I should say that. The other thing that the police did was they showed Henry the Caster brother's car and they said, you know, was this the car that you saw at the scene of the crime, And obviously he said no, but because it wasn't. So what happened was that the Caster brothers had rented a car from this garage owner on the morning of Anna's death, and then they had returned it maybe an hour after she was shot, so you know that was and that car, the description of that car matched the car that the witness, Jacob gorfing Or, had seen speeding down nineteen seventy behind Henry's car. So you see how the police kind of pieces together. So they have this witness who sees a car following Henry's car, and then they have the character by renting a car that matched the description of that car. That's how I happened. And this car that they found, which they're pretty sure was the car that was following Henry, there's no resemblance to the car that Henry said he saw, so clearly Henry is maybe not telling the full truth about what happened on that night.
Speaker 6: Now, Detective Matheson and the chief O'Brian Walter is missing, but they look across the bay you right to Berkeley, and you right that there is a visionary police chief, a rookie carp and a teenage magician have been developing a machine with the power the sort of truth from fiction tell us about August Vallmer and Berkeley and what happens and how these three characters come to be together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so clearly, you know the piece button was faced with this guy, Henry Wilkins, who they think is lying, and luckily for them, or you know, unluckily considering what would go on to happen, some people, some police officers across the bay, and Berkeley had just invented the light detector. So the story of that is Berkeley was sort of a hub for scientific policing. So the chief of police in Berkeley was this guy called August Volmer, who's considered he's considered the father of modern policing. He was one of the first people to bring in forensics. He was one of the first people to bring in radios and signaling system for police officers. He started using fingerprints and photo libraries and things like that to kind of catch criminals. The other thing he did was he started hiring university graduates, college graduates as police officers. So up until nineteen twenties, most peace officers were kind of uneducated, quite British people, i suppose, and they used their fists and their clubs to get information out of suspects. And Farmer thought that this was a bit distasteful, and he thought that actually hiring college graduates would lead to a more humane form of policing. One more a better route towards justice. He started hiring all of these university graduates and then the player was nicknamed the college cops. And one of Valmer's college coups was a guy called John Larson. And John Lson was older than some of the other college croups. He was already in late twenties. But he was different because he's the background in physiology. So he'd done a PhD in physiology and he wanted to become a criminologist. He wanted to use physiology to help solve crimes, so he went to Berkeley to basically get some real well policing experience before he then used that accommodation of this physiology research to become a criminologist. And Larson was like a terrible cop. He was constantly bumbling, getting in fights with his colleagues, crashing cars, things like that. It was a very good scientist. And in nineteen twenty two, so the year before Anna Wilkins was shot, Vroma read a research paper by a guy called William Moulton Marston who would go on to be the creator of Wonder Woman, but he's also well known for coming up with this essential insight. Right, So Marsden realized or discovered that when he measured people's blood pressure as they told false stories, that blood pressure would go up when they were lying. So this is the kind of essential insight that then feeds into the polygraph machine. So Marston noticed that there was a link between blood pressure and people telling lies, essentially what he thought there was. So Roma reads this research them and he thinks, if only we could find a way to formalize that, to make that usable in piece investigations, to make it objective rather than subjective. So he calls John Larson into his office one day and he says, John, could you turn this into a machine that we can use to, you know, kind of measure and while we're interrogating suspects. So, you know, John Marson goes away and he cobbles together a bunch of equipment from the lab at the University of Berkeley, like a blood pressure monitor, a sort of a scrolling piece of paper, and a pen that kind of scratches away lines depending on whether someone's blood pressure goes up and goes down. And you'll recognize what I'm describing as essentially a polygraph machine. A lie detector is not dissimilar to how it looks today. So this is in nineteen twenty two, and then a few months later they get a chance to kind of try out this machine on a real case. There's a series of best women's dorm at the University of Berkeley, and Larson uses the lie detective machine. The cardio neuropsychograph is what he was calling it back then, which isn't a very catchy name, but he uses that to basically investigate this case of these stuffs at this dorm, and then beyond after that, it gets used in a number of other kind of cases. That gets used in the murder trial O case, a guy called William high Tower who keeps murdering a priest, and it gets more and more popular over the following year. So by the time the Wilkins case comes around, the light of sector is sort of getting wider recognition in the press, and you know, is generally thought of in kind of positive terms. So those are the two kind of creators I guess of the detector. The other person who's important in the story is a guy called Leonard Keeler. So Keiler was about sixteen at the time that last and wasn't menting the light detectors. He was a high school student, quite a sickly boy. He'd been off school for a while with various illnesses. And he was a family friend of August Formers. So Volmer was friendly with Charles Keeler, who was Lend Keiler's father. He knew that Keiller was sort of kicking his heels at home, so one day he said, oh, why don't you come into the police department and you know, I'll show you show you around. So, you know, Keiler comes into the police department one day, just like the kids. You know, he's quite a you know, interesting guy. He's into like animals. He keeps rattlesnakes at home. He like does slighted hand magic and things like that. But anyway, at the moment Keiler sees Last and with the polygraph machine, he's like completely fascinated by this machine, and he becomes a Larsen's kind of protege. He comes as a system. He helps Last and take the machine around California doing tests on people and things like that. So those are the three main characters. And you know, so this is in kind of the spring of nineteen twenty two. So behind the Wilkens case, rolls around a year later. These three characters have kind of honed the light detector and they think they aren't to a good thing. It's been using a couple of moder cases and lots of like t thefts and things like that, and the Wilkins case is like another kind of big step for them.
Speaker 6: What about the actual polygraph examination? Who conducts it? As we know it? There are control questions like today we know it that there are some kind of control questions. How did they conduct this? How long did it take? You describe in the book what happened and the results that they announced, and then also there I would say hesitancy later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So light of Texas tests are not the same as they are shown on TV or in movies. Often they take a lot longer, they're a lot more boring. The protocol that last and kind of instigated was that you would ask a series of yes and no questions, starting with control questions like is your name Henry, and then moving on to target questions like you know, did you shoot your wife? And the test as it was designed, required you to wait a minute between each question to allow someone's body to react to the question, and then allow it to come back to a baseline for you then ask the next question question. And the theory is that by comparing the responses to the control questions to the responses to the kind of target questions, you can determine whether someone's lying, because if they're lying, there'll be the theories that they're pulsed and the blood pressure will go up if they're herd. The truth, the theory is that it won't. That's one of the one of the points I try and make in the book is that, you know, I don't think we can necessarily take that for granted, which which means the polygraph is slightly flawed. But yes, so John Larson kind of gets the very across the bay to San Francisco and he does the slight test on on Henry Wilkins. And you know, at this time, the Caster brothers sort of in the wind right. They've been released and they've basically just disappeared from the city, and Henry is being seen with much more suspicion by the press and by the police. But actually he takes the liab De text to test and he passes the lad De tech to test. So according to this machine that's been invented. Henry is innocent, he had nothing to do with his wife's death, and he's just been sort of wrongly implicated. He is the victim of kind of random violence. And so again the police are kind of forced to just let him go. So Henry is brought in to do the slide of text test, he passes the tex to test, and then he's let go. So then the police are kind of back to square one right there. Initial suspects, the Caster Brothers were released because Henry said he didn't recognize them, and then Henry was brought back in when they realized that actually he didn't know the Caster brothers. That's the other thing, that important thing that had happened. So it had transpired in the intervening weeks that Henry had actually worked with water Casta and then was acquainted with the people that the police think shot his wife, which is again is like a real red flag. But they bring in then he passes the live detective test, so they let him go.
Speaker 6: Larson, even at this time, you write, is not in agreement with the things that Keeler bring into the equation. What are some of the things that they disagree with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess the way you can characterize this is that Larson is sort of the kind of rational, scientific, careful, cautious part of this. So he invents the machine, but he sees it as a scientific instrument, realizes that it needs to be validated and a lot of research work still needs to be done before it should be rolled out beyond the very few cases that he is personally involved in. Keiler was in the book. I described him as kind of a showman. He's much more interested in using this machine to solve crimes, you know, chase down criminals, crack cases, do all these kind of dramatic, heroic things. And sometimes because Keuiler is not a scientist, he sort of discards the careful, cautious scientific method that Larson would prefer that he use. So this is the essential kind of difference between these two men. And in the years that follow, these two men have spectacular fallings out their different attitudes to the polygraph machine. And actually John Larson really ends up hating Keiler by the end of the book. You know, he really really kind of despises him. He thinks that Keela has turned this machine that he invented the last and invented into sort of Frankenstein's monster, right, Keeler is largely responsible for the spread of the polygroch around the world, but Larson kind of never really forgives them for it.
Speaker 6: Let's get back to this incredible scene that you have with this further investigation into Henry Wilkins by the district Attorney Brady, and Brady has this very very creative plan to sort of disrupt Arthur and get it an elicit a confession. Tell us about this incredible scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a fascinating, fascinating thing that I discovered. So basically eventually they managed to find Arthur Castor and arrest him. This is kind of bring him back to San Francisco and that he still kind of says, Oh, I've got nothing to do with this Ana Will and shooting. You know, I'm innocent, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. But he's sitting in a jail cell and they're trying to come up with ways to get him to talk. So arthurcass This is like mid June twenty twenty three by this point, and Arthurcaster is kind of sitting in this jai jail cell at this point, and he hears a young kid, kind of like a teenager, I guess, being brought in and he talks to him briefly, and the kids says, you know, I'm being sent down for the Anna Wilkins murder and I didn't do it. I'm innocent. I'm innocent, and Arthur is like, okay. And then what happens is that night they put this kid in the cell next to him, next to Arthur, and all night you can hear this kid moaning and crying and wailing. You know, I'm gonna they're going to hang me. You know, I'm innocent, I didn't do it, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And this goes on for a couple of nights and then eventually Arthur's conscience starts to weigh on him. You know, his mother comes in and his mother tells him, oh, you know, you should do what's right. And so, you know, a couple of days later, Arthur confesses. He says, you know, we were involved in the shooting and it was Henry Wilkins that paid us to kill his wife. And this is kind of a bombed our moment in the whole case, and actually happened because the kid that they brought in to cry and whale and moan in the cell next to Arthur's cell was an actor. He was not actually a real suspect at all. They brought him in with the beress purpose of kind of tricking Arthur into confessing, and it worked. And it also points the finger straight back at Henry Wilkins, which means two things. Really, It means that the police had released not only Walter and Archicasta, who ended up being implicated, but they'd also released tend Me on the basis of a test on the so called light attective machine. And the reason that I kind of picked this case for this book about the history of the polygraph machine is that it was one of the first kind of high profile failures of this machine, the first of many.
Speaker 6: I should say, let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second to hear from our sponsor. Are you aware that on average today it's taking up to eleven weeks to be able to hire employees for open positions. If you're hiring for a growing business, you don't have up to eleven weeks to wait. Well, if you're listening today, I've got some advice for you. Stop waiting and start using ZipRecruiter. ZipRecruiter can help you find qualified candidates for all your roles fast and right now. You can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. Ziprecruiters powerful matching technology quickly finds and then informs you about the most qualified candidates available. Then you simply invite them to apply. With ZipRecruiter, four out of five employers get a serious candidate within the first day. So speed up your hiring process with ZipRecruiter. See why three point eight million businesses have come to ZipRecruiter for their hiring needs. Just go to this exclusive web address to try ZipRecruiter for free. ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder again that ZipRecruiter dot com slash m r der. ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire. Now, we talked about this, this dramatic failure, at least that John Larson felt it was a dramatic failure of this device that he had put his considerable part of his life into. But how did August Volmer react and how did Keeler respond? And what was the next chapter in the light Detector?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interesting question. So they were kind of still pretty positive about the machine. Keeler in particular was kind of not that bust about the Wilkins case and felt that they shouldn't stop rolling out the machine.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: So by this point, you know, they're kind of plowing ahead with more and more cases last and is getting increasingly worried, I guess, or reluctant to use the detectors that it's been proven to work. But here's kind of charging ahead. By this point, Wolmar and Keyler are both in LA where they're kind of working together. They're using the light detection on various cases. And yeah, so it doesn't really change the momentum of things. I suppose we.
Speaker 6: Didn't mention too this incredible trial that looks like a slam dunk what happens at that trial and retrail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the trial is kind of long and twisting, and it's got some incredible characters in it. Frank Murphy, who's Henry Wilkins's attorney, is this kind of bullish, kind of belligerent kind of guy, And there's lots of kind of drama twists and turns and drama and all sorts of stuff going on. In the trial. One of the major revelations to come out of the trial is that Henry has been having an affair with his wife's sister. So that's one of the kind of main things that comes out during the kind of trial and the pre trial and as it transpires, and his sister came over from Germany a few months before Anna died and basically was been struck up an affair with Henry Wilkins essentially, so yeah, more and more kind of fingers seem to be pointing at Henry. But the first trial, it's kind of a hung jury, so that they didn't come to an agreement in the first trial. And basically what happened is that the prosecution calls, you know, after Cast and water Caster, who then you obviously go out and say that they were paid by Henry to shoot Anna, but no one really believes them. The jury kind of think, okay, well, on the one hand, you've got this weaving husband who, yes, maybe was having an affair, but on the other hand, you've got these two renowned crooks with long criminal records. Actually, what ends up happening is that they don't really believe anyone in the case, right, They don't believe either Henry or the Caster brothers, but so there's no kind of unanimous verdict, and actually it goes it goes to a retrail and the retail for the very similar pattern, you know, same kind of witnesses, same kind of attempts to malign the characters of various people, saying you know, that kind of undan tactics used by the attorneys. At one point, the attorney's kind of almost come to blows, so the opposing attorneys are literally standing outside of the courthouse squaring up against each other, and they have to be separated by the police. But by the end of that second trial, Henry is found innocent, so actually no one goes to jail for this crime. Then the other thing we should talk about, of course, is the shootout. So they managed to catch Arfter castera kind of relatively early on, but Walter Caster still kind of disappears. So after the Custom brothers were initially released, they kind of flee north. So they get a car and they drive up up the west coast towards Eureka, through the kind of old gold mining country in the Redwoods, and eventually they pitch up, you know, somewhere somewhere on up there, and Arthur is brought back to San Francisco, but Walter is still kind of on the lamb. But at some point Walter sneaks back to San Francisco and the police are watching him, and then they get a tip about where he is one day, so they send kind of three police officers down to go and get him when he's staying at his mother's house and they send three places officers to go and kind of arrest him and bring him back so that he can he can be tried in this Henry Wilkins case. And essentially what happens is that as the police knock on the door and they enter, so Water's mother answers the door, the police barge in and then the shooting start. Water shoots one of the police officers in the head in just above the eye. He shoots another one in the chest, He shoots his girlfriend who he suspects of having led the police to him, and then he turns with the gun on himself. And there's space of about two minutes, there is massive bloodshed at this house San Francisco. One of the police officers dies, the other one is okay. Eventually that has to have eye surgery, and then obviously Waters's girlfriend and Water both both passed away as well. And for John Larson, this is like a really like project event because he's kind of thinking, Oh, if my machine had worked properly, this would never have happened, right, Or if the machine had not existed, maybe Henry would have been arrested, and you know, they wouldn't have had to track Water down in this way. So in his mind it's like the machine failed, and because the machine failed, all these people are now dead. So it's a really dramatic kind of tourn of events.
Speaker 6: Tell us about the landmark case that said a precedent involving an Alfonso Fry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is the Fry case. So I mentioned William Marston at the top as the guy who kind of came up with this concept of light detectors and blood pressure being linked. And Marston was really keen for the lie detection to be accepted in court, and he tried to use this test case of this. This guy called James Arfonder Fryer. He was a First World War there twenty five year old who had been accused of murdering a prominent black doctor in Washington and Marston wanted to use this case as a kind of test case for getting a lie detection accepted in court, but the judge was not convinced. He basically said something like, when this technology is broadly accepted by experts in the field, then it will be sufficiently developed to be to be usable in the court of law. But it hasn't reached that case yet. And this standard of qualification, which was known as the Fries standard, kind of became the fact a benchmark which new technologies have to reach in order to be usable in court. You know, whether that's fingerprinting, blood battery analysis, all these kind of new technologies that people want to use as evidence have to the standard where they're kind of broadly accepted by experts in the field. And the polygraph didn't reach that standard. And actually the polygraph has never reached our standard, which is why it's not usable in court. Federal court in the US.
Speaker 6: Tell us about Max Dent and how he figures into this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so about halfway through the book, we jumped forward in time. So after the conclusion of the Henry Wilkins case, Henry is Henry is released. He carries on with life. He moves away from somewhere city where his name is sort of mud essentially, and the lie detector continues to One thing I should say before we go on to Max Dent is that John Larson's kind of desperate to find Henry guilty to prove that he was guilty. So after Henry gets released, John Larson kind of befriends Henry Wilkins and he convinces him to take another lie detected test, which Henry passes again, and then he also convinces him to do a truth theorem, which again Henry kind of passes. It still shows up that he telling the truth. John Larson remains convinced that Henry's innocent, but with no evigenc he sort of has to let it go. But he never really stops thinking about that case. But anyway, so yes, after the conclusion of the Henry Wilkins case, Larson becomes increasingly sort of reluctant to spread the polygraph any further until he's done the kind of scientific validation work. Leonard Keeler becomes more and more hard working in his efforts to sell it to market, to commercialize it, to spread it to the world. So twelve years later, This is nineteen thirty five now, so they have all relocated independently to shut Chicago, so bombers in Chicago teaching courses. Out of college, Larson has been bouncing around various jobs. One of the problems with Johnlarson is he's incredibly stubborn and sort of very I guess belligerent and can't keep a job because he constantly gets in fights for the superiors over trivial matters. So, you know, by this point, it's nineteen thirty five, and then the Keiller's in Chicago's work. He's working at a crime lab kind of doing all this cool stuff, like you know, ballistics and tracking down gangsters. It's the capone era, so Chicago is the kind of cap sort of crime in the US. The Keelers, they're sort of, you know, using his skills to kind of catch criminals. So yeah, in nineteen thirty five, and a guy called Max Dent has popped out to buy cigarettes in the West Side of Chicago. He's a Jewish, is a very Jewish area that they're kind of immigrants from Eastern Europe, lives with his parents. He's popped out to buy cigarettes and he's walking back from the shop back to home when someone runs out of an alleyway and basically guns him down, and the suspect has kind of quickly identified as a guy called Joe Rappaport, And the theory is that basically Max Dent is a prolific police informant. He has been snitching on people all over Chicago, and he essentially like deals drugs and then like tells the police that he's sold so and so drugs, So they then go and arrest that person. And the theory is that Joe Rappaport is one of the people who one of the few people who Max Dent has been formed on who's not already in prison, and therefore he's one of the few people with both the means and the motive to have shot him. So Rappaport is kind of quickly arrested and he becomes the sort of next kind of big This becomes the next big case that that I look at in the book because the light detect becomes entwined in this case.
Speaker 6: Later on in proceedings tell us about the case. Well Heeler is in is in Juliet prison. It add so much controversy to the light detector.
Speaker 2: We last and Larson's and Julie at prison. Yes, so it's it's a really famous case. It's a Leopold and Load case, which you might have heard of before. Theres two young men in the kind of nineteen twenties, I think, or nineteen ten's maybe who basically kidnap and murder this kid because they want to prove they can get away with the perfect crime. And at this point it's kind of nineteen thirty six and Richard Lobe is at Juliet Penitentiary where John Larson is working as kind of the prison sort of psychiatrist, and the Larston comes out of his office one day and he finds Load completely naked, dripping wet, and carvered in blood. He's had his throat slashed basically, and Larson had to like stop up quite close relationship with Lobbit in the previous months. And essentially what happens is that that Larson is told not to speak to the press about what's happened, that the kind of people that run the prison don't want this case getting out into the papers, but Larson refuses to adhits those rules. So this murder of Richard Lowbiiner the prisoner ends up costing Larson his job and Jolia. It's an interesting kind of side story here that kind of ties Larsen into the political machinery at the time, which is kind of fascinating.
Speaker 6: You also write about a case that really helps the lie detector. There is a movie at one time called The Canary Murder Case, but this is the real Canary murder case. It was dubbed tell us about this murder case involving the canary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is kind of fascinating. This is one of the of the cases where and it all kind of comes together at the end. But this is one of the cases that really popularized the light detector in Chicago and led to it being needed in their appport case. Soically, there was a judge in Chicago called Henry Horner who was investigating police of corruption and there was a case of a woman who had died and the police regarding her house and one of her She ran a cafe called it, I think, the Singing Bird Cafe, and one of the kind of star attractions to the cafe was this this yellow canary. He would sing and people loved it. Anyway, the police regarding this house and the canary disappeared, and there had been been a spate of kind of thefts from crime scenes and it was a very corrupt era in policing. So immediately Horner was like, Okay, well, I'm not going to stand for this. I'm going to get to the bottom of who was stolen this stolen this canary. And they basically brought in Lenko and Filmer to do li de text tests on all the police officers involved, and they were able to get a confession from one of the officers that he had stolen the canary and then swapped out for another one essentially, and so the lightestext has successfully solved this case, and that stuck with Horner, and basically what happens is Horner Horner then goes on to become the governor of Illinois. Eventually to this judge who is really close to Kila. He starts to have a really close friendentship with learn the China actually ends up administering Quila's wedding, ends up becoming the governor of Illinois. But by the time the Jai Rapp book pace is kind of going to the courts, one who is now the governor over Illinois and that ends up being important because or shooting Max Dent has been given the death penalty, that.
Speaker 6: Jesus has an opportunity to stop for a second for these messages.
Speaker 1: Hey, Guaida is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 5: It's a thing.
Speaker 1: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com. You'll we necessary Daly void wherever he if I lost in terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about Joseph Rappaport and his troubles, but he has a sister named Roe. Tell us about his legal troubles and Judge Horner or the former Judge Horner and Rose.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that's right. So Rapport is on death row in Chicago and the County Penitentiary, and his sister is distraught and she as she did the previous time Rapport got arrested. She writes hundreds of letters to anyone she can to try and get the sentence commuted, to get it overturned. So she bombards Henry Horner the government of Illinois with please for clemency. She door stops them at the station she made plience to curse him, and you know, all this stuff when if he doesn't let her brother live, essentially, and what happens is that Joy Rapport's death sentence keeps getting commuted, so it keeps getting delayed, not commuted, so he keeps getting keeps getting delayed. And I think it happens like three or four times. He's, you know, due to go to the electric chair, and something happens at the last minute, some legal route, and actually it gets pushed back, you know, it gets delayed for legal res since it gets delayed for Jewish holidays, and eventually Rose Wrapperport manages to convince Henry Horner to cancel the execution. It's so good if Joe Rapport can pass a lighter text test. And that's where then the Keeler comes in. So Horner obviously knows Keiler and that's why he knows about the lighter texted test. So he calls killer up and he said, can you go and do the slider detective test on this death row in mate? And that's what kind of forms the kind of closing segment of the book. Is this really dramatic lighter text light detected to test in the prison on the guy who's due to be executed that night.
Speaker 6: It's fascinating to you, right though, that the precedent had already been set that it couldn't be used in court. But what was the sort of loophole that they saw it as?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was sort of a last roll of the dice, I guess, in a similar way to Stephen Avery using a brain fingerprinting test to try and clear his name. Joe Rapport was desperate enough to try anything. But the problem is that, like a death row style is not an appropriate place to conduct this kind of test, right, you know, you can't how can you be if you know that you're going to be executed, If this test, you know, goes the wrong way for you, what would your blood pressure be?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: You know, how can that be a fair test? You know? The lights in the cell were literally flickering because they were test in the electric chair in the next room while Jo Rapport was doing this test. So it's a kind of classic example of this supposedly scientific test being used in a way that was not scientific at all, and that John Marson would have been appalled by and was appalled by when he found out that happened. So essentially, report fails the light tex test that's conducted by Keiler and is marched from the cell to the electric chair and is executed, and becomes the kind of first person to be executed as a result of failing a lighter text tests.
Speaker 6: You're right about the relationship. We have talked about it a little bit, but more so what Larson does in the relationship with Keeler and the relationship between Keeler and Larson and Volmer. Tell us about the relationship between all three of these creators of this supposed light detector.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Essentially, over the course of you know, from from about nineteen twenty five onwards, and accelerated by things like the Max Dent and Je Rappert case, it begins to disintegrate by you know, by the early thirties, Keiler and Arson are no longer and speaking terms like Larson writes these kind of bitter like ritual letters to Volma complaining about Keila, and supposed like Keiler writes back to Volmar kind of complaining about Larson and Larst and bad mouse Quilla are all around town, and Keiler complains about you know, last and bad mouthing him and all this kind of stuff. And eventually, eventually what happens is that Volmer, both Wilma and Keila cut tied with Larson. You know, Wolmer kind of decides that actually does not worth the Greek trying to continue to maintain a relationship with John Larson to John Wilson and sort of bitter and alone kind of cotecting newspaper clippings of Rider sector stories, you know, scanning the press for bad news stories about Keela that will reflect badly on Keila his former protgee. And yeah, their relationships sort of disintegrates, and then Keida has quite a sad story as well. Tequila Quila's wife leaves. He kind of descends into alcoholism, who basically does nothing but drink. His business fail, he eats it set a business kind of saying like the text test that fails, and he dies really really young. Of essentially of liver disease because because of the amount of he's drinking.
Speaker 6: You write about that the light detector lives on, and you talk about work in the United Kingdom using the machine, tell us about where it does still continue in its use, and then tell us about again Larsen's conclusions after all of these years being involved in light detection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's use very widely today. So there's about three million test year in the United States. It's being used in the UK more and more rather than less and less, which is sort of slightly alarming. So it's being used to do screening tests on suspected terrorists and decide whether people are eligible for parole. So it's used quite broadly. And then the other thing that's that I think is that new forms of light detection are being invented that kind of still have the same flaws as the polygraph. So yeah, by the end of his life, John Larson was pretty despondent, and he kind of writes something like, you know, this machine that he thought would fix the criminal justice system, you know, be a force figure that actually ended up being a Frankenstein's monster. He regrets ever having vented it, and personally game to that as lemon.
Speaker 6: Keeler August Vahmer. You write initially his assent into legendary status as this modern a person that was the fixture of modern policing. But he has his own problems with his reputation and credibility as time goes on, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I think during his life Barmer was kind of very well respected. And he dies, actually he takes his own life because of the kind of pain of living with various ailments that began to afflict him as he gets older, to shoot himself in his garden. And I think during his life he was kind of considered this revolutionary father of modern policing. I think it's only in the last maybe ten fifteen years we begin to reassess that perspective. I think in light of some of the issues around policing at the moment, this kind of very like I guess the technification of placing has maybe had some bad impacts that probably can be traced back to Boma. So I think his heart was in the right place. You know, he wanted to make placing more humane, but I think in bringing in in bringing in certain technologies that ended up not being good things to use. He may be stowed the seed to some of the problems that we see today, the over miltarization of police and things like that.
Speaker 6: You're right that the National Registry of Exonerations lists more than two hundred people wrongfully imprisoned after failed polygraph tests. And you say, those are just the ones who's convictions were overturned. The real numbers are potentially much higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the underlying point of the book, right, that the largest sector tests don't work right, And the fascinating thing is that we still use them and they're still kind of seen as a technology that should be is to try and catch criminals. And look, undoubtedly these machines, these machines have have helped to put people buy in barsuse people buy in bars. But the problem is that they also perpetos kind of horrendous mischaracters of justice. And I guess the lesson from the two main cases that I faced on the Henry Wilkin's case and the GI rapport cases that these machines are not infallible. You know, it's my view that in the Henry Wilkins's case, the light tec to test got it wrong, right, it wrongly said Henry was innocent of cousan's killer's wife, and he was probably guilty. As a result of the test getting it wrong, several more people died. You didn't need to die. And then the Gi Wrappport case. I think Joe Rappert probably was guilty. But the decision about whether to execute someone should never have been made by a flawed machine. And there's all sorts of research over many decades basically proving of the polygraph is not accurate. Estimates of his accuracy range from, you know, as high as ninety percent to as low as sixty five percent. Sixty five percent is really low. And the problem is that we're often using these these technologies in in edge cases. You know, there's really difficult to determine things, and the stakes are so high that I don't think it's appropriate to be using these technologies to decide whether someone lives or dies, or whether someone's going to rest of their life in prison.
Speaker 6: I think the dramatic example that you provide about Gary Ridgeway being questioned and then polygraphed and then passing and then went on to kill at least seven more women, the idea that someone could beat this machine is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually it's very it's trivially easy to be. You can train. You can train to be in the machine fairly simply by basically learning how to alter your responses to the control questions so that when the real questions come around, there's no difference. Right, if you can artificially speed up your blood pressure or your pouse when you ask the control question and when you ask a tarlet question, that you know there will be no difference. So you know, all these forms of the right detection are sort of slightly flawed in different ways, and that makes them problematic.
Speaker 6: I think the most dangerous part is to use the lie detector to clear people of guilt. And reading so many books about investigations where they utilize the polygraph, it's fascinating to realize that how many potential serial killers or killers that slipped through their fingers because they relied solely on that light detective test.
Speaker 2: That's it. And I think even the problem is if it's framed as a lie, if it's framed as one tool and tall in a suite of many different tools, and it's given them appropriate waiting, that maybe it's it's a Casey said, But I think the problem is when you cause something a SAX test, you give it more weight than it warrants. And actually, who knows if they hadn't done a lied to tad test on Gara Wageway, maybe they would have found more evidence or done more digging, or you know, been more suspicious for longer, and maybe they would have kept him in jail. And you don't know what that case sort of looked like if the polygrop test hadn't been used right, and how it would have progressed. So that's really problematic.
Speaker 6: I think John Larson had planned to write his magnus opus. You say, but he died sorting through his manuscript pages. But you say that today a new wave of light detection technologies are coming to market, powered by brain scans and artificial intelligence. Tell us some of the things that are being adopted by police and other institutions and agencies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's been a long history of this sort of stuff that it started in the kind of seventies. It seems like voice stress analysis, which kind of tries to to tell someone's lying based on their tone of voice. Then through the eighties and nineties there was brain finger printing, which I talked about that uses brain scans wear kind of a cat on your head of electrodes that measures your brain waves. There's also fMRI based brain scanning, so you sit in an MRI scanner while you look at these questions and supposedly that compel if you're lying as well. And then more recently there's kind of AI powered line detection technology. So I went to do a test by a company called convers which looks at your people dilation as you answer a series of questions and determines that tries to use that to determine whether you're live or not. Sort of theory is that if you are thinking harder than your peoples are more dilated, that that's true. The theory is that if you're lying and thinking harder, therefore your people's are more dilated, and that could be a way to catch liers. So yeah, there's a whole speed of technologies. Often the investment in the new li detection technologies sort of goes hand in hand with the political climate of the time. So when governments are trying to look tough on security and crime and that, they'll fund things like reforms of fly detection. So there was a big spike in reforms of light detection after nine to eleven, for instance, And you know, so that's where we're at. And you know, these forms of bye detection are being adopted even though they're not one hundred percent accurate, and they have some of the same flaws as the polygraph. And the biggest problem with the polygraph and is what research is called the fact that there's no Pinocchio's knows right. There's no telltale sign of lying. That's true for everyone all of the time. And without that, you know, these machines you can't you can't know if someone's pulse is going up because they're lying or because they're nervous about being wrong. With the acused of lying, you can never know. And that's the real problem with not only the polygraph, but all these new forms of right detection technology. And I think that's the lesson that can be learned from the stories of Henry Wilkins, a report from Loss and August former len Keeler. You know, from one hundred years ago. That's the lesson that we should take through to today and into the future.
Speaker 6: You talk about that lesson to take away what would John Larson has said based on what he did have to write and say.
Speaker 2: About today about the current technology. I think he would have been frankly horrified that the podygrap is still being used. I think he would have urged more validation. I think he would have said, you know, we shouldn't be using these things in criminal cases until we're one hundred percent sure they work. And I think maybe he would have come out to the view that you can never be one hundred percent sure they work, so maybe we shouldn't use them at all.
Speaker 6: Fascinating. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about your extraordinary book, Tremors in the Blood Murder, Obsession and the Birth of the Lie Detector. For those that might want to take a look at your work as do you have a website and you do any social media?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I have a website, It's a metz Katsula dot k do at uk. I'm also on Twitter yet that you can finally keep keep up with my work as well. I also write the Wired dot com since can find my work on wide as well.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Amit Katwala Tremors in the Blood Murder, Obsession and the Birth of the Lie Detector. Thank you so much for this interview and you have a great evening and good night.
Speaker 2: Thank you, B