Speaker 1: For coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Each time we've gone to break today, of course, like I always do, go to social media to see if there's anything that has developed throughout the show that we need to talk about, you know, some breaking news, some interesting news, something that you know should be discussed on a show like this. And really each time I've noticed more and more I guess plans to get ready for this winter storm that's that's heading our way. At least that's what they're expecting.
Speaker 3: So it's not supposed to be freezing in like ice like it was a month ago.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't even think it's gonna get cold enough to where it's below freezing, okay, but that could still cause some issues, right right, So that's what I guess we need to be prepared for. But the real issue with that seemingly two to three week pain in the ass that we had with the last winter storm was because we just weren't consistently getting warmer weather to melt it all away. But yeah, it looks like there's some I mean I haven't seen any school closings just yet, but it wouldn't shock me by the time we get out of here we find out that they have either done school, they've done INTI, or maybe they are going ahead and canceling it because you know it would make sense and for what it's worth, last time, I don't think they could have got it any more correct. As far as I don't think they could have been more accurate when it comes to how they predicted what would happen in early January. Because what they were anticipating every bit, even down to like the exact amount of snow we were going to get, I think they were spot on. So given the recency, I guess I'm gonna trust them that it's going to be potentially sloppy. And again I'm usually light snow and winter weather because I'm weird like that. But we got enough in January to where if we didn't get and the warm weather got here sooner rather than later and stayed, I'd be very very happy. Speaking of very very happy, I was very very happy last night because the result in the Super Bowl was exactly what I wanted, a Chief's loss, and I got not only that, I got.
Speaker 5: Them blown out.
Speaker 2: In fact, the game was nowhere near as close as the final score. They were down forty to six at one point, and it was really just exactly what you want as someone like myself who is a full fledged hater of the Chiefs in every way I don't want to be. I feel like it's bad energy just to hate them because they're great. But as soon as that thing kicked off and they started, you know, getting killed, it was pretty early they were in trouble, and I loved it. You'd throw in the fact that Mahomes was brutal and his stat line actually makes it look like he played better than he actually did. You had Travis Kelce crying after the game, give me those tears.
Speaker 5: Loved it.
Speaker 2: Taylor's Jaylor Swift got booed, and I felt awful for really enjoying that too. So as a full fledged hater, we got. We got a full course meal, if you know what I'm saying. Absolute, and I'm happy. Besides, that's right, I'm happy for the Eagles more so, I guess Jalen hurts than anything, just because I think that guy has been I mean, he's been phenomenal in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Not to say that he's gotten.
Speaker 2: Better stats or that he's a more talented player than other guys who you know that are really really young and talented, right, Like, he's not Joe Burrow, he's not Lamar Jackson, he's not Pat Mahomes, he's not Josh Allen, but he's but he's really good and he wins. And I just feel like when you say this out loud to people, if they didn't already know this, they'll probably first instinct is to question you and say that can be right. But it's right, it's true, and it's this. Jalen Hurts has as many playoff wins, has as many Super Bowl appearances, and has as many Super Bowl wins and his first four years a starter that Patrick Mahomes had in his first four years as a starter. And just like Mahomes, doesn't look to he's slowing down anytime soon, or at least I don't think he does. I think you can say the same thing for Jalen Hurts. He didn't just get here one time off of a flute run in the playoffs. He's been good for years now. They added Barkley and that clearly was a big, big factor. He was the leading rusher in the NFL this year, first time a leading rusher in the NFL, was a part of a Super Bowl winning team since Terrell Davis in nineteen ninety eight. So yes, the defense was really the biggest factor in last night's beat down.
Speaker 5: Vic Fangio. Hell of a job.
Speaker 2: I mean, the organization that the Eagles have from top to bottom is impressive. I mean, they win and Howie Roseman is that his name, that's the GM right. I mean, they's been nailing draft picks the last four years. They got a good formula going.
Speaker 5: Fangio with his front four.
Speaker 3: It's just all everywhere Fangio goes, it just seems like he's gonna have a killer defensive line. They didn't even have the blitz yesterday. They were just getting to Patrick Mahomes with four people, I mean, and Mahomes looked terrible. I mean, I think Wheels flustered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the defense was clearly a big factor in that, but also he just was rattled. And a guy that's known for being mister cool it could always get it done and clutch and doesn't get too too overwhelmed by the big moment. I mean he throughout the entire game, he never was comfortable. And again, I think more than anything, it's because that defense was so elite and they really were all year. So the Eagles, again, they've got a good formula working. They've been drafting really well, as Austin mentioned, and they got the pieces to I mean, they've got not only the pieces to win, like they're winning right now, but they could keep this thing going.
Speaker 3: Well, do you feel for a Super Bowl? I know you're extreme haterism of the Chiefs, Like do you feel at all like underwhelmed by like the game? And just let's just say the last week, I feel like this was a very underwhelming super Bowl. It's been a fun season. You've had stories everywhere, of course with Jadeen Daniels, hell I'll be a Homer here, the comeback of Sam Darnold and how well he did, the fall of the forty nine ers, how that's been going on, and it just kind of ends up like that. I Mean, there wasn't a lot even in radio row last week leading up to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: There wasn't like that many stories.
Speaker 3: There was nothing like, oh, this guy needs to get a super Bowl to cement his legacy. The three peete like okay, I guess, but even losing that, like did nothing for Mahomes or went against Andy Reid or anything like that. The biggest thing that came out of the radio row last week was was Miles was Miles was Miles Garrett that wow? And that's and Jameis Winston having fun and just like begging for a job every person that he talked to Like. Other than that, it wasn't like it was just.
Speaker 5: Kind of like, meth, do you want me to take it even further? Yeah, I can go deeper.
Speaker 2: I think exactly what you. I agree with everything you said. But I didn't feel as underwhell because the overall result of the Chiefs getting blown out was so satisfying that I feel like, hey, I'll take it. That was pretty good. Now, what I was going to say taking it a step further is I think not just the NFL Super Bowl lead up in the game itself was kind of a dud. I think the NFL didn't have a good season overall. I mean interesting, I mean, I think, I mean this was said last night by Tommy Smokes, who is a barstool blogger, and he's getting crushed for it. But I totally read it and I agreed. Awful game to end what was a pretty bad season of football. Has to be the worst season in the NFL in a long time, no real juice, And I agree. But what happens is people think that means like that someone is claiming the NFL is in trouble. The NFL is never going to be in trouble. People are going to always watch it. There's nothing that they could do to where they would be in trouble as far as like losing money or declining in you know. I mean, they're dominant, They're always going to be. But I think that I just don't feel like this season had much life to.
Speaker 5: It, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, you had the Chiefs continue to be really good, and even though people are tired of the Chiefs, I think this year they were as good as they were, as good as you can be other than, of course, you know, going undefeated. But like they didn't look great doing it, right, they weren't. I mean, if you look at the numbers on the Chiefs this year, like Mahomes was pretty blah, which that's okay, but everywhere else, I mean, the Bills were a big story.
Speaker 5: And dare I say, but.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how to say this without feeling like I'm going to get attacked. But when you have a guy like Lamar who is the best player in the league and is exceeding what he's done already in two seasons that resulted in him being the MVP winner, and then he's just not a factor at all in your postseason. Again, it's not good for the NFL. Sure, I mean that makes sense. Like, I mean another team who.
Speaker 5: Was a great story, great story.
Speaker 3: The Lions. Yeah, they got humbled. I mean that kind of I think what kind of ran out of gas after in there. I mean they had like seventeen players out on defense.
Speaker 2: Look, I'll say this, in college basketball, we love Cinderella until we wake up the next morning and realize she was like a five right right, like the first this is I mean, hear me out here.
Speaker 3: Maybe I had a little too much last night.
Speaker 2: You love to root for Sister Jean and the Cinderellas because it's what makes college basketball great, those kind of upsets, and it's so intoxicating when they win one and you're like, how the hell that happened?
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Saint Peter's knocked off Kentucky And then it's like you're on a bender because they messed around in one in the second round and made it to the sweet sixteen, and you're like, oh, this is what makes college basketball great. You got teams who nobody ever would give a chance, and they get here to the big dance and they dance on and then like you get to the sweet sixteen lead up and it's waking up the next morning and realizing, damn, I was really drunk.
Speaker 5: This is this is lame. I don't call you ever. I don't want yeah, you get her out of there.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see you know that kind of team Loyola Chicago Saint Peter's in the sweet sixteen because we don't really care about them. We just get intoxicated by the first weekend at the party when everybody's there and man, what do you know, This nobody team is riding some momentum. So I've always said that in sports, upsets are fun.
Speaker 5: That's what you know. Upsets are healthy for sports.
Speaker 2: And what I mean by that is it keeps everybody aware that it could happen to you. But at the end of the day, you don't want to sacrifice a bunch of upsets because when you get later on into your tournaments, your postseason, whatever it may be in CAA tournament playoffs, the later you get there and the more upsets that have happened along the way, you're gonna feel less fulfilled because you feel like it's whatever right now. The teams that played in the Super Bowl, the Eagles and the Chiefs, they were absolutely two of the best teams.
Speaker 5: But everybody's tired of the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: There's really not a whole lot you can add to their story other than what it currently is. The Eagles, I mean, I kind of feel like they were I don't know why they were kind of not They weren't underrated, they weren't underappreciated, I don't think, but it just they nobody talked about them for odd reasons.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe because they did win early and they did. I mean, these two teams win a lot of games, clearly one when it mattered and got all the way to the Super Bowl. But I think they both were similar for a good stretch of the season. When they would win, they didn't look impressive, and they wouldn't win by a whole lot against teams that you knew stunk like. The Eagles barely got by the Bears, who were a mess. So I don't think the NFL is in trouble. I'm not anti NFL. I'm gonna watch and love the NFL as long as I live, I'm sure, But I don't think it's like some crazy hot take to kind of just look at the season overall and say, yeah, it wasn't as it wasn't as fun of a ride as maybe we're used to it. Again, I think some of those factors I just laid out are a reason for that. Again, I think when you've got good storylines and you've got good teams that I mean, the Lions being good is weird, yeah, right, and then they just kind of fell and they fell flat and got beat by a really really you know, good young quarterback and that was a good story. But then you know, they got upset or they got beat and then you know, so again, I don't think that's a crazy thing that they're there.
Speaker 5: But I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I think not only was the super Bowl lead up just kind of man, I think the whole season kind of felt like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 2: Now back to Jailen hurts really quickly because I just I think what you see in sports all the time. That probably irritates some people, And I understand why is this delusion that certain athletes have that they're being doubted, that they've got haters, that everybody's against us, us against the world, Because you know, it's sometimes it's just insane.
Speaker 5: Like Kirby Smart.
Speaker 2: I don't remember who it was, but he did a phenomenal job when Georgia went back to back national championships because his team truly believed that people thought they weren't good, when all anybody did was talk about how it's insanely unfair, how loaded they are. And you had a guy after the game as he's putting on the celebratory cap that they make for Georgia winning the national championship, and the first thing he says to the camera was they say we were going to go seven and five. You won't find a soul on this earth that thought Georgia football that year, coming off a national champampionship, was gonna go seven to five. So again, it's ridiculous. But whatever way you can, you can get an edge, right, whatever you got to do to keep your players motivated, and it gets harder to do the better that you are so there's a lot of silly things out there that these guys believe in order to keep them always having that edge, that chip on the shoulder. One to prove people wrong to where they don't feel too comfortable is if they've already like even even if they've already proven that they are elite and nobody's doubting them, they got to find a way mentally to get to a spot where they feel like they got to really deliver because nobody's believing in them. I mean, Michael Jordan was great at that. I mean that's I think what quite literally make Jordan what he was is he was the ultimate competitor. And I mean he would he would play out stuff to the media that wasn't true that he used to get himself motivated, and yet he would talk about it and maybe he did it so he knew that the writers would put it out there and then it would like be him speaking it into existence that he does have haters. It was really interesting to see that in the Last Ride documentary, how Jordan was able to do that. So what I'm getting at is it's nonsense a lot of times, but Jalen Hurts is somebody that can actually say that he can tell you that he's got a level of satisfaction after winning his first Super Bowl last night, because throughout his entire journey, he's not some rags the richest story, but he has absolutely been doubted at every turn. At Alabama as a starting quarterback, he was good. They were winning, but you know, he wasn't a flashy guy. At that point. It was still Nick Saban winning because he could get any player he wanted. He had a phenomenal defense, and he didn't really need his quarterback to do a whole lot. Well, then the game changed a little bit and he brought into a tugovaloa. Jalen Hurts got bench to the National Championship game, and I mean, at that point, let's go, let's go back in time. Hard to do but that and that was many years ago, but Jalen Hurts getting benched Alabama. Would anybody have been shocked if I told you that night that that would be what you think of when you think of him in twenty years, a guy that was good quarterback. Maybe he did end up transferring elsewhere and he was fine, but like, it's crazy, unheard of for a guy who is the starting quarterback who has already i think, taken his team to a national championship before that. Getting binged in the national championship game, that's unheard of. Well Saban did it. And what even became more unheard of is to see how well Jalen Hurts handled that with maturity. The next year, he was co quarterback, but he didn't start. He got binged, He got left behind for Tuatugabaloa.
Speaker 5: So what does he do?
Speaker 2: Goes to Oklahoma, puts up insane numbers, Heisman candidate, takes Oklahoma to the playoff and just when you thought maybe that was the moment where he has proven that he's a really good quarterback regardless of the situation. No, everybody said, that's just a product of Lincoln Riley. Look at what Baker did, look at what Kyler did. They just said, well, it's any quarterback can go do that for him. He's not that great. He got some draft love, but nobody thought he'd be drafted in the second round, right, But he did.
Speaker 5: He got drafted in the second round by the Eagles.
Speaker 2: They hated the pick. They lost their mind on social media. At every turn, this guy's been able to actually say he was doubted and that people didn't think he was good enough, and at every chance he's been given since those things have happened, he has proven people wrong. He already did it just by getting to the super Bowl and being a good quarterback already, but to win it this year and to now be able to say that again four years as a full time starter, he has the same exact super Bowl ring. He has the same amount of super Bowl appearances, super Bowl wins, and playoff wins as Mahomes did in his first four years. I mean, that's pretty impressive and I don't think he's going to be slowing down anytime soon. So that's one of the favorite My favorite things about sports still is that like those kind of stories, they're still out there and I just don't know, it's motive. It motivates me somebody who you know, is able to prove people wrong.
Speaker 5: And rare can you rarely can you even be.
Speaker 2: In the NFL at that level, really at that position and be able to claim there are genuine doubters of you. Well, there were, there's no doubt about it, and he's been able to overcome that, and I just think that's awesome to see he's a good leader and he's a good player too. That's pretty obvious, right quick break. We'll come back on the other side. A lot more to get into before we get out of here for the weekend, but for the evening. Maybe if it snows a lot, we won't be back for a while, but hopefully doesn't get too bad.
Speaker 5: Keep it lock right here. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, thank you, Austin, I just realized what you did there. Yeah, thank you, Thank you appreciate that. So, like always on Mondays, there's lots of reaction from the weekend, and sometimes we don't have enough time or at least I don't balance well enough to get as much in, get into as much as we need to. But we'll probably get to tomorrow. It's not a tom sensitive thing. Rick Patino, giving a message via video to the two thousand and five Final four team at the UM Center on Saturday, was I mean, look.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's probably part of the healing process.
Speaker 2: As far as the whole Rick stuff, I mean, we can get into it tomorrow, because it's certainly a little complicated. But I know fans maybe if they didn't even want to feel any way, seeing Rick talk about that team and hearing him talk about Louisville fans, I mean, I'm sure some of you probably say the hell with him, and it's fine. Everybody can do whatever you want, feel however you want to feel. But I know for me, I mean, he coached here longer than anybody throughout my life, and clearly the good times that I had that I remember as a Louisville basketball fan, nearly all of them were with him. So I just think it's kind of weird to just all of a sudden be anti the guy who was a big factor in that success. But we'll get into that a little bit more tomorrow. Also, something I wanted to mention really quickly here for those just now joining us. Pat Kelsey did talk earlier today and on the AEC teleconference, saying that still no update on Chucky. It's still a day to day, game time decision type situation. With James Scott, he had had to have some dental work done, but he is it sounds like he's gonna be ready to play on Wednesday, which is good news. But let's to the phone lines foot two. If you want to give us a call, we'll go to Jerry. Jerry, what's happening, Hey, Nick?
Speaker 4: About the football game last night, I echo your comments. I loved it, and I loved it even more because of my homes turnovers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's a real factor on there, Doug.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and the fumble. I loved it all man. I mean, so you know that, Uh, the fact that he's in the FC. I'm a Lamar guy. I'm a Ravens fan because of Lamar, et cetera. So I love that being a Card fan.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 4: I work with a lot of IU fans and so it's it's interesting. I think they want well, that's that's where That's where I'm going. So you know, I you fans. I think they they they harbor a little animosity because we won it in thirteen and they thought they had the team to win it, but Tom Crean couldn't solve the Syracuse two three zone and the rest is history. So I think that was a spur in their butt. But then then they look at Kelsey. Now he's young, he's energetic, he's knocking it out of the park, and they I think they've got a real hard case of coaches envy, even though I don't think they take Kentucky okay. But but here's where I'm going as a fan, as a basketball fan. I love the banter. I love the the the suspense, I love the anticipation, and I love the domino effect of this coaching search at IU Okay. I can't read enough about it. A buddy of mine sent me an article today that you need to look up. It's by Greg Doyle from The Indie Star, and he and and in the art. It's a very good article, and he touts a guy and I'll tell you who it is in a second, but he takes a swing at four coaches. Three not really a big surprise, Bruce Pearl, NATO's Chris Beard. He takes a swing at all of them for their misdeeds throughout, and he says, you know, I used not hiring Chris Beard, blah blah blah and all this stuff. But the one he took a swing at that shocked me was Scott Drew. And evidently they have a history. Greg Dole and Scott Drew over a guy named Hannah para, I know all about it, okay, So in that I didn't realize this, or if I did, I'd forgotten about it. In that situation, they got him over here, they got him settled, they got him in school, blah blah blah. But once he got here, he wanted to make up his own mind and where he went to college. And they told him they was going to have him deported.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, were you.
Speaker 4: Aware of that?
Speaker 2: So let me tell you this, Jerry. This is coming full circle, my man, because do you remember there was a coach that I was really, really really high on that Louisville didn't hire, and so far it looks like I was wrong, Jerome Tang. So you remember when people would say that Jerome Tang, there's just something connected to him, There's something attached to him, something that's going to come up on the background.
Speaker 5: That was it?
Speaker 2: There was that he was He was accused of being the coach for Drew. That was I guess making those kind of threats about having him deported. He defended himself and I you know, he claims that there's there's no scenario anybody would ever be able to accurately put him involved in any of that kind of stuff. But yes, i'd heard that that was a big deal at the time, that this young man who came over then decided he may want to visit some other schools, and they threatened to deport him if if if he if he didn't. And I don't know which coach it was, or really how true any of it actually is, but I do remember that story, and I didn't want to go there last year with Tang because I just didn't want to put it out there and and you know, who knows if people would think it's real, But that was that's what people were insinuating that would come up on Jerome Tank's background, that he was the assistant for Drew that did that.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting that both Kentucky and Louisville took a swing at him. But this guy, I mean, Greg Doyle, you know, he's been he's been at the Indie Star for a long time. And I don't know anything about the guy other that he reports on IU a lot. But but he takes a hard swing and and they got into it so hard. In the article, he says he hung up on Scott Drew, like, you know, like he was done with him at that point. But the guy that he coups is sort of a shocker to me and a little bit he's hot right now is Buzz Williams. And I like Buzz Williams more as a more I read about him as a person. I don't think he's the guy for that job, would want that job, you know. And and I think Buzz Williams is a good coach, but I don't think he I don't think he is what they want, you know. I don't know where they're going, but it's gonna like again, the the Domino effect. If they grab a big guy, it's gonna be so interesting to see who lands there. Because I don't know that it's gonna I think it's gonna end up like Louisville, Kentucky. And I may may my words here. I don't think they're gonna get one of the big fish that they want. I think they're gonna have to say for for uh, you know, someone else and and see what happens. But but it's a hell of an article. You got to reach check it out. Pure got a picture of Buzz Williams. I thought, I thought some of the listeners that are I you fans might want to check it out. You know, it's it's really a good read.
Speaker 5: I'll check it out like that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Jerry, appreciate the call man. Yeah, the uh.
Speaker 2: The Indiana job is a great job, and I think they have missed on the right hire.
Speaker 5: And we talked about this last week.
Speaker 2: I'm not an Indiana fan by any means, but they the all they gotta do, and again easier said than done, is find a really good coach, and I don't mean the next John Wooden, but somebody that can thrive there and really take their formula that has worked elsewhere and implemented at Indiana with much better resources, right if you you know again, I mean they're not taking our coaches around here, and and they they certainly wouldn't leave for Indiana. But my point is Pope was successful enough at Utah Valley and at b YU. He had something going same thing with with Kelsey at Charleston and at Winthrop. And in this new world, you can you can make that jumped and bring what you did that worked from the lower level to the higher level. I mean, there's no guarantee that it works flawlessly, but I think because of nil meaning you can use money and you can make up whatever issues you may have in the recruiting area. You know, if you're not somebody that's a larger than life personality that can't go to a guy's home and sell him on all your final four trips because you haven't been there, you know what you can do to make up for that. Drop the bag, right, I mean, that's going to make an impact. And with players, you're not stuck with guys for years because they can't leave.
Speaker 5: People can leave in any moment.
Speaker 2: You can get rid of dudes and go get guys in the portal, really good players, you know, if you're a good recruiter and you have good resources. So Indiana's gotten it wrong so often. The only time they did get it right, they fired a guy for something that is so silly, and that's the Kelvin Sampson text message stuff. So I think they I think Indiana can swing for a guy like a Bruce Pearl or a Chris Beard, and if they don't do it because of other issues, then like then they don't really want to win that bad honestly.
Speaker 5: But if they don't get those guys because.
Speaker 2: They don't want them or because they just get turned down, Indiana is the kind of program that they can go get a coach that is in the similar This is in a similar spot as as Kelsey and Pope Word where they've proven their good. It's just they haven't gotten the opportunity at this level. And I don't think guys would have been able to get the same opportunity in this current era of college basketball, because again, things that used to really hurt you as far as being able to succeed, like a Patino did it a Louisville or a Caliperri did it to Kentucky or a Bill selp that at Kansas. You can make up for that with the new world that we have here with again money and free agency with the portal. But thank you for the call, Jerry. I appreciate it. So Austin played the Hall of Fame song there and I talked about it a little bit.
Speaker 5: Last week.
Speaker 2: I was inducted into my high school Hall of Fame over the weekend. North Bullet High School is where I went. I graduated nineteen years ago and I found out I guess in like October that I was going to be part of this class. And I don't want to get trust me, I'm not going to talk about it for twenty minutes with you guys. But I don't think there's something that I could individually be honored with that meant more to me than that, And I don't think I would have told you that ahead of time. But that's just kind of how it played out, because I mean, you want to grow up and be successful in life and make your parents proud, make your community proud, and you know you want to.
Speaker 5: I mean, people I think.
Speaker 2: Want to be successful and have good lives and do right by people. And I've been fortunate enough to where I feel like I've got a dream job, like I have a phenomenal career that doesn't seem like work. I mean, I'm able to say that. There are many times throughout my week where I just think, is real?
Speaker 5: Do I get to do this?
Speaker 2: So I'm very fortunate as it is, and I try not to ever take that for granted because it could be gone at any moment, right, So I'm really humble, but you know, lucky is the way I view it. But to see that my peers in my community where I grew up, that's such a part of me and my story for you know, forever it was really really really special. It still doesn't kind of seem real how Saturday went. But where I grew up in Northern Bullet County, my parents went to school where I went to school, but it was brand new at the time. So my dad, he graduated at North Bullet in nineteen seventy nine. The first year the school existed, I believe was in nineteen seventy seven, so it's a brand new school.
Speaker 5: And my dad.
Speaker 2: Played all three sports for the first couple of years and then really just focused on basketball, and he was the school's first first ever All State honoree in basketball in nineteen seventy nine. He won the first district championship in nineteen seventy nine. My mother, she was homecoming queen at the school in nineteen eighty, so, like it just kind of felt like it was.
Speaker 5: A part of me.
Speaker 2: And I never, like my parents never told me about their days in high school, and my dad never told me about how good he was as a basketball player, and if he would have, it would have been cool. But like to hear people that I grew up around their parents, who knew of my parents, or went to school with my parents, or just somebody that i'd see in my community that knew I was Mark and Patty's son, to hear them talk about my parents and their accomplishments, and just that they made an that they left an impression that made me so proud to be their son. And without any real moment of like, Okay, I want to I want to do this and make them proud, I just I became obsessed with wanting to play basketball at the high school that I was going to go to, and I wanted it so bad it just kind of felt like it was what I was supposed to do. My mom would take me to games whenever I was a kid, and the coach at the time was a family friend of my mom's, so you know, we got to sit like behind the bench. And I remember watching high school games when I was in like fifth sixth grade, and this first time I went to a game when they had the band playing in warm ups and the coach wore a suit and his name was Larry Waldrigs and he looked like a million bucks. I said this in my speech on Saturday. He looked like he coached the knicks of the Lakers like he and I just remember, like, man, this is cool. I want to do this, and I was already obsessed with basketball at the time, so it just consumed me. It was it was a huge part of it was really my childhood and my teenage years were basketball, basketball, basketball, and I was able to, you know, have a pretty good career, and I had a lot of great memories. But to be able to win a district championship just like my dad did, and be the first father son duo to ever even play there, and of course also both be able to be a part of district championship teams. As corny as it sounds like that, that meant so much to me my whole life. So then to to get honored and you know, have that moment Saturday, it was just so special. And I don't I don't feel like there's anything that that that could mean more to me as far as just a group, meaning my high school's alumni association choosing to honor me and really be about my story, meaning my family, and how like, you know, we're kind of we kind of feel like we're the first family of the program, just because Dad was there when it started and when we won districts when I was a senior, it was we snapped the longest streak the programs ever had without a district championship. So again Corny reliving the high school days. But I do just want to think, and I met so many people who say they listen to the show, that that that I didn't know listen to the show. And I met people that I wasn't that I'd never met before, but people who knew my parents and stuff, and it was just such a such a special weekend. And you know, I remember, not long after I found out that I was going to be going to the Hall of Fame, I started going to North bull of basketball games because one of my teammates, Jesse Curry, he's now the coach there and he's doing a great job. And I mean, it's fun to watch a guy I played with coaching this team and they're having success. But I would I took Moose my son, and you know, he he loved he got to go out on the court at halftime and shoot with some of the other kids, and I could just kind of see him looking around at the gym, kind of taking it all in, had the ball on his hip and like I remember almost you know, falling to my knees the first time I just saw him like kind of looking around thinking it was cool like I did, and it was. It was it was special. And then we take my daughter to school every day and then I take Moose to daycare and it's right by the high school. And you know, he asked me at least a couple times a week, Daddy, when are we going to go watch the Eagles play again?
Speaker 5: And it just hits me, like in my it just.
Speaker 2: It's it's I don't know, it's a feeling that I never knew existed until it happened. And to have him there on Saturday and hearing me talk about his grandfather and and and whatnot, it was just a really special moment. And I'm so appreciative that they chose to include me, and I mean it, it was awesome. So thanks to everybody. Yeah, and thanks for you all listening to let me share that, because it's an honor. All Right, we got to run last break. We'll come back and wrap it up on the other side.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day Fantasia, right, yes, oh yeah, was this her biggest song? I have to think so, man, I don't know why, and I'm sure it wasn't the intention when this song was written and recorded.
Speaker 5: But this is a low key The Fellas will listen to it.
Speaker 2: It's a hood classic together and like there's just a there's just an understanding. There's no shame if you sing at the top of your lungs like a woman, because this song it just it just hits.
Speaker 5: It's that melody.
Speaker 3: It's that early two thousands, like mid two thousands sort of like this is when like MTV was like in full swing in the two thousands. Only morning as soon as you woke up, you were finding this Mario baby bash.
Speaker 5: Oh dude, Mario yeah, so o my goodness.
Speaker 2: That was like a that was like a brief version of a brief stretch within the R and B era that was just different than the rest of it, you know what I mean, Like I can't I can't really put what made it different, but it was different.
Speaker 5: Good stuff and b two k those guys I have it said that, Oh my gosh, it's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Man, little pretty pretty Ricky, pretty ricky. We're going a horny bab They were horned up. The Fellows were always on the hot line exactly I've that it was a little risquee very much.
Speaker 5: We got to run in a second. What did you think of the halftime show?
Speaker 3: I actually kind of liked it. I've always liked Kendrick Lamar. I'm I guess I'll be old man yells at clouds. I wish you would have played a lot more older stuff, But I get why I played the new stuff. But I actually liked that. I thought he put on a good show. Wasn't it terrible? Like everyone else said?
Speaker 2: It was whatever to me? But I didn't go in thinking he needed to perform for me. I mean, like, that's one of the thing that's really irritated me is that that that you can you can say that you know it's not made for you and still didn't think it was great and it's not some awful thing. What's really irritated me is those who yell, hey, uh mid you know middle a white men, this is it for you? Well, okay, so, like, does does that mean we just have to say, okay, it's great? This is one thing that bothers me with mainstream music is that artists, bands, groups, they get to such a level of fame and this this artistry that they have from a creative standpoint that they could do anything, and others are some people are just gonna say, well, it's phenomenal. And if you don't like it, and you have the balls to say that, man, this is kind of weird.
Speaker 5: What is this, then.
Speaker 2: You're just attacked as you just you don't get it, Like you don't, you don't, you can't relate, like you're just not on our level of understanding. Yeah, like it's just that that's kind of what it felt like. But you know, I didn't think it was awesome, but you know I didn't. I mean, I didn't go in thinking he needed to be phenomenal for me, because again, everybody's got their own taste. And I never was a real big fan of him in general, not because of any reason. It's just of that music genre. He's not one of my favorite artists. I mean, I probably get hit for saying this, but like, I mean, I like Drake Better. I don't know anything about their beef, don't really care anything about it. I just like Drake's music better. You go, all right, we're out of time. Have a good night, everybody.