Speaker 1: Jump looking for excitement. Chumba Casino is here. Play anytime, play anywhere, Play on the train, play at the store, play at home, Play when you're bored, Play today for your chance to win and get daily bonuses when you log in. So what are you waiting for? Don't delay? Chumba Casino is free to play.
Speaker 2: Experience social gameplay like never before. Go to Chumbuck Casino right now to play hundreds of games, including online slots, bingos, Lingo, and more. Live the Chumble life at champacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: Jwproove no part necessary word.
Speaker 2: We're prohibited by loss he terms and conditions.
Speaker 4: Eaighting plus Black Friday is coming And for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so if the cocktail love in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad?
Speaker 5: Get them Botisian at the push of a button.
Speaker 4: Make Bach quality Cosmopolitans, Mattini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for ae hundred off.
Speaker 5: Amazing toys not just for kids.
Speaker 4: Get one hundred off of cocktail Maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday. Visit Baptisian dot com slash cocktail. That's ba r t E sia n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 6: Have you googled yourself lately? Are there negative posts from an ex employee or from a former client, maybe an outdated news article. Search engines don't always get it right for right or wrong. It's your reputation on the line. That's where Reputation Defender by Norton comes in. Take control. With Reputation Defender, their cutting edge approaches help you to wipe away unwanted information in your search results. They also promote the good stuff. You can start by getting your free reputation report card at reputation defender dot com or call eight hundred eighty one one forty nine seventy five to speak to an expert.
Speaker 7: Hello it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpback Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime, anywhere with daily bonuses. So sign up now at chumbucasino dot com. That's Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 8: Sponsored by Chumpa Casino. No purchase necessary VEGW Group Ford. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 4: Black Friday is coming And for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more. So if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad. Get them Botiesian at the push of a button, make far quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off amazing toys.
Speaker 5: I'm just for kids.
Speaker 4: Get one hundred off of cocktail Maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday. Visit Botisian dot com slash cocktail. That's PA r T s I a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 9: Recently, a new client called me and started by saying, mister Morgan, I really need your.
Speaker 10: Help, but I'm just a nobody.
Speaker 9: Those words stunned me and I immediately called him back, and we're now helping him and his family after a terrible accident.
Speaker 10: I'm John Morgan and Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 9: Everybody who comes to our firm at their time of need is a somebody. I grew up poor, but my grandmother was like a queen to us at Morgan and Morgan. Our goal is to level the playing field for you and your family and your time of need. The insurance company has unlimited money and resources.
Speaker 10: You need a firm who can fight them toe to toe for right.
Speaker 9: At thirty years, we have fought them in courtrooms throughout America. Our results speak for themselves, and always remember this, everybody.
Speaker 10: Is a somebody and nobody is a nobody.
Speaker 9: Visit for the People dot com to learn about our firm, Morgan and Morgan for the people injured. Visit for the People dot Com for an office near you.
Speaker 11: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to.
Speaker 3: This late night with a few retrospective on the.
Speaker 11: Geekers Bar podcast.
Speaker 3: I am your host, one of your hosts. All roads lead to Rome taylor Field, and I'm joined by.
Speaker 12: I am the Bull Trickle Batzer, and I am the Herbs in the day, Jasmine in the evening, Dolomus.
Speaker 11: There you go.
Speaker 3: So, yes, we are here to talk Gladiator, the old Russell Crow Ridley Scott's Gladiator. But before we get into that, a couple of plugs. You can find us with your Internet connection in the search bar. Geek Verse dot Ca is our own base. Geek verst Cast is our Twitter.
Speaker 12: Is it a bit? Or is Taylor sick? The viewers will never know.
Speaker 11: God, that's hilarious.
Speaker 13: He's working on a new role for a new acting piece voice actor.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I hear that they're looking for a uh what was it, like a male in their thirties for James Bond.
Speaker 13: So yeah, I'm only a voice. They're only looking for the voice, only the voice.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you'll just have to like infect yourself with disease you always sound sick so that you have the voice that they hired you for.
Speaker 11: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Patreon where you can get ad free exclusive early content.
Speaker 11: Available there, and be sure to just drop the thank.
Speaker 3: Yous along with us here to these amazing folks over on the Patreon, because we got Patreon producers Aaron Braiden, April of Darkness, Jack Grant, MUDs, Sam super Bad, MICD Loves Me sixty nine, Jeremy Reiner, and Detall you folks are fan freaking tastic, amazing roster lineup right there. I love you guys so very much. Now, I've been kind of like out to lunch lately.
Speaker 11: Well, this is a retro, so I don't know. I guess it's dropping tomorrow on the public feeds.
Speaker 3: But what do you guys have to shout out anything that's been going on, anything of interest?
Speaker 13: I had a nice newscast this week, which was nice. Did a lot of trailer reviews that was lots of fun. Did a nice side quest with the with the big Dylan Muss love me right Now?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was That was a juicy, juicy episode.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Lengthy, Yeah, I too lengthy two man cast. So I'm curious if this three is my first three men cast of the week. I'm curiously it's gonna be shorter than the last two and a half hour two men casts I've been on.
Speaker 12: But and then obviously we're recording Goodfellows retrospective as well. I don't know when that's gonna hit the free feeds, but I definitely hit petron if you want to get access to that. Nice and nice and soon should be discussion.
Speaker 11: Yes, definitely.
Speaker 3: Uh cool, Well let's uh, I mean, who wants? Who wants to take it? We're gonna get into Gladiator. I guess do you want to do non spoilers first? I can't remember how we do it with retro kind of roll.
Speaker 12: In with a little non spoiler overall sort of song.
Speaker 13: At the end.
Speaker 12: I'll jump in here. So this is my first time ever watching this movie. Yeah, I feel like in my mind, I feel like I've always mixed up Gladiator in three hundred and I've never seen either of those movies, and I don't know why, because they like back in the day, they seem like my cup of Tea, Like this is very kind of Lord of the Rings adjacent in a sense, and this came out around that same time period, So I don't know why I have not seen it until now, but I finally have, And Yeah, I really enjoyed my time with this one. I think even going into the sequel, like I don't know, I just really like the trailers for that. I was like, I want to go watch the first one, I want to watch the second one. I'm into it for whatever reason. But yeah, I had a really good time with this movie, and I think it in some ways was exactly what I was expecting of, just like Gladiator battles and stuff. But I think what was surprising me and what I found that I liked even more than that stuff was just the characters. Like there's some really fun performances here, of course, like Walking Phoenix, like I feel like in one of his earlier big roles, like I don't know if it was one of his first, but I feel like it was one of the ones that put him on the map to a certain extent, And I could be wrong about that, but it feels that way. Uh, and some other characters and actors that I haven't seen a whole lot before, and yeah, we're also cool. Like I don't know, I feel like he's just in the weirdest stuff these days. So it's fun to go back to maybe like his prime or like his most famous movie and see what he looked like in this in this time period. Yeah, Like, everyone does a really good job there. I think there's some interesting like especially walking Phoenix's character, like that is not the type of archetype I would expect for a movie like this, and so I think it was really fun to see what they went with here. So I'm excited to break that down. And uh yeah, I mean I think they do pretty good job with the like all the action stuff. Of course, this was like a nice practical effects era where they weren't just CGI and every horse and thing in the background, so it feels very authentic in that way. I didn't end up loving a lot of the fight scenes, and we'll talk about why that is, which you know, for a movie like this, I feel like that should be one of the highlights. But overall I found like this movie too, just like really good pacing. Just it just flew by. And it's tricky when you have a movie like this where like, Okay, it's historical, and we're like building off of Okay, here's all these things that happened in the past, your other other Seeson's other leaders, all these wars, and you're kind of just thrown in the middle of it, like there's no way not to just be thrown in the middle of it, and like a history story like this, But I think they did a good job of just like if they're if they didn't explain the things you need to know, even just like the performances were like a little subtle details you just filled in. You're just right in it right away. So yeah, I I had a really surprisingly I don't know if it's I don't know if surprising is the right word, but I had a really good time with this one all the way through.
Speaker 13: Hell yeah, yeah, I this is this one's deep seated in my history banks for sure. This was definitely like a VHS that my family had that I had in rotation, And yeah, I loved movies like this or like in that era, especially like thinking of Gladiator or Troy Kingdom of Heaven, like that's that's maybe a little bit more of a drawn out, less so action one, but like still just like that era of like these big epic movies I feel like I always just loved as a kid, especially like one of the first video games ever plays like Age of Vampires and like Age like I just love like this era, especially like the strategic military side of it. I just always love. So Yeah, I really really love this movie as a kid. I feel like I watched it many many times. I don't know exact number on it, but it for it was very surprising going through it now because as many times as I had seen it, I feel like there's still a lot that I got on like this viewing of maybe just because it's been many years since I had seen it, and I don't know, just younger. Younger is not really knowing about all like the politicking or maybe some of like the more philosophical ideas, because we have like Marcus Aurelius in here. I feel like as a kid, I definitely didn't know who that would have been, like in you know, in history so yeah, this is one that I feel like it just ages so well, Like this came out in two thousand and because it doesn't rely on like CGI and like practical effects to what they for like what they had available in that time, Like they used like real horses in a lot of these scenes, and like just just there's so much epic stuff going on that's all like real, and it just to me, it just makes it seem like it's gonna be one of those timeless movies that just goes on forever.
Speaker 12: Real decapitations with volunteers of course.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it was like a tropic thunder type situation that thought it was actors but not really. They're just that that devoted. But no, it looks fantastic, like all the costume designs and everything and just just all of the scenery. Like it's just really really well made movie. I didn't even know that in one like all these oscars, but like it makes sense watching it. It just yeah, it's a beautiful film, and uh yeah, I just really really like it. This is also one that I remember watching like middle school, like they showed it to us in like history class. I just thought it was like the coolest thing ever like getting to watch like a movie that I really like and then just just yeah doing it in school, which was always great, but.
Speaker 12: Yeah, cool, I didn't get to watch this.
Speaker 13: God damn you weren't French Immersion though that was in Madame Ganie's class in great hls out to Madame Ganie, but yeah, cool passed the torch.
Speaker 11: Uh yeah, this movie.
Speaker 3: I've I've seen him bits and parts, but it's never been something that I've actually deep dived into before and watched in one whole sitting.
Speaker 13: So that's surprising. I feel. I feel like Russell Crowe to me is like a big Taylor fan cast type character or like just an actor that you really like.
Speaker 3: He is an actor that I really like. I mean, you got him as Robin Hood.
Speaker 11: Which I that was great.
Speaker 7: I love that movie.
Speaker 11: Travis doesn't like it?
Speaker 3: What else do you got him an talk about trev That's right. He was the Pope, Pope accessist. So he's definitely popping up in roles that I do like. And it's funny because he's always been that guy that just he reminds me of Gerard Butler.
Speaker 11: You know, they have a similar kind of vibe or like like they look.
Speaker 3: Similar, right, So sometimes I'm think, oh, yeah, Russell Crowe, he was in that Olympus has Fallen, Like no, no, no, that was definitely not he was in three hundred.
Speaker 11: Yes, there you go.
Speaker 3: But yeah, as far as this movie goes, I I was, yeah, not sure exactly what to expect, but I remembered a few things and I've seen like the gifts and everything of Joaquin Phoenix, and so I knew a couple of little familiar scenes, but all in all, I did not know what I was in store for with these characters and with the overall story and everything that was going on. I'm sure we'll talk about it more, but you brought it.
Speaker 11: Up, Kirkland.
Speaker 3: It was just a pleasant surprise. We got the og Mumbledore in there, as like, what the heck? I couldn't believe because I'm trying to pinpoint that voice and I've never seen them in anything else outside of Harry Potter Richard.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, uh cool.
Speaker 3: Well we'll take a quick first ad break here and then we'll get into some juicy discussionary spoilers, so.
Speaker 11: We'll be right back.
Speaker 7: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win? Like, are you a fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver. If you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck casino dot com.
Speaker 8: Sponsored by Chump Casino. No purchase necessary VGW Group Ford. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 4: Black Friday is coming, and for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Baptisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartsian is having a huge sight wide sale.
Speaker 5: You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 4: So, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartesian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for ae hundred off. Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get one hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through cyber Monday. Visit Bartsian dot com slash cocktail. That's PA r T s i a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 9: Recently, a new client called me and started by saying, mister Morgan, I really.
Speaker 10: Need your help, but I'm just a nobody.
Speaker 9: Those words me and I immediately called him back and we're now helping him and his family after a terrible accident.
Speaker 10: I'm John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 9: Everybody who comes to our firm at their time of need is a somebody. I grew up poor, but my grandmother was like a queen to us. At Morgan and Morgan. Our goal is to level the playing field for you and your family at your time of need. The insurance company has unlimited money and resources.
Speaker 10: You need a firm who.
Speaker 9: Can fight them toe to toe for right at thirty years. We have fought them in courtrooms throughout America our results speak for themselves, and always remember this, everybody is a.
Speaker 10: Somebody and nobody is a nobody.
Speaker 9: Visit for the People dot com to learn about our firm, Morgan and Morgan. For the people injured, Visit for the People dot com for an office near you.
Speaker 10: Ryan Seacrest here.
Speaker 7: When you have a busy schedule, it's important to maximize your downtime. One of the best ways to do that is by going to Chumbuckcasino dot com.
Speaker 13: Mumba Casino has.
Speaker 7: All your favorite social casino games like spin, slots, bingo, and Solitaire that you can play for free for a chance to redeem some serious prizes. So hop on to chumbacasino dot com now and live the chumber life sponsored by chump A Casino. No purchase necessary. VGW group void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 5: Black Friday is coming and for the adults in.
Speaker 4: Your life who love the coolest toys, well.
Speaker 5: There's something for them this year too.
Speaker 4: Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button and right now Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale.
Speaker 5: You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker.
Speaker 4: Bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartsian at the push of a button, make Barka, the Cosmopolitans, Makteni's, Manhattans, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off amazing toys.
Speaker 5: I'm just putting kids.
Speaker 4: Get one hundred off of cocktail maker when you spend four hundred. Through Cyber Monday, visit Baptisian dot com slash cocktail. That's b ar t s i a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 9: Recently, a new client called me and started by saying, mister Morgan, I really need your.
Speaker 10: Help, but I'm just a nobody.
Speaker 9: Those words stunned me and I immediately called him back, and we're now helping him and his family after a terrible accident. I'm John Morgan, and Morgan and Morgan. Everybody who comes to our firm at their time of need is a somebody. I grew up poor but my grandmother was like a queen to us. At Morgan and Morgan, our goal is to level the playing field for you and your family and your time of need. The insurance company has unlimited money and resources. You need a firm who can fight them toe to toe. Right at thirty years, we have fought them in courtrooms throughout America.
Speaker 10: Our results speak for themselves.
Speaker 9: And always remember this, everybody is a somebody and nobody is a nobody. Visit for the People dot Com to learn about our firm, Morgan and Morgan for the people injured.
Speaker 14: Visit for the People dot Com for an office near you.
Speaker 3: And we're back. So what are we talking here?
Speaker 11: Where we start?
Speaker 12: I want to start exactly where you left off there, And this is a classic Kirkland starting at the beginning, but it's only beginning because Richard harr Is his character of course, dies off pretty soon, like he's maybe in like ten percent of the movie. But yeah, I wanted to break that character down a little more, a little bit more because kind of who I was saying about, like you're really just kind of thrown in the middle of like history here and we're like picking up and I feel like a big part of this movie is like a huge important part about the people of Rome here is how much respect and admiration and they have for Marcus Aurelius, like the Caesar at this time. That was something I don't feel like I knew until now. Caesar is that like just the name of like the king essentially for Rome at any time? Yeah, I feel like I now knew that, So I'm history dummy. I need to play more Age Empires. Clearly a lot of Sieve, but that's not enough clear total war Rome.
Speaker 13: There you go.
Speaker 12: Go, Okay, Okay, that'll be my next pickup. But yeah, I think like there's so much that we have to buy into of like the people loving this guy. And then also a big part of Maximus's story is like this revenge tale, and obviously a part of that is because of his family, but it starts out because of his love and admiration for Caesar as well for Marcus Aurelius, and then even through the movie persists like obviously, first and foremost it's because his wife and kid were murdered, but he also always wants his goal is always because of Marcus Aurelius and his respect for him as well. And so I think it's it's hard in a movie like this, like, Okay, given the amount of screen time we got to move the story along, how are we gonna find that level attachment to that character? But I think that's where Richard Harris like did such a freaking killer job. And just like you, Taylor, I've never as far as I don't seen him in anything else. You know, he obviously passed away early two thousands, so his career. This was like probably one of his last movies. I think he just brought so much charisma and I like he just felt like a lovable grandfather guy. And like even before I was like, oh, yeah, that's doubled round, I have that kind of admiration for him from that role. But even outside of that, I guess just that like he was put he was cast for roles like that because he was able to bring that gravitas and especially yeah, for a movie like this where he doesn't have a ton of screen time. I think he did such a great job that he was like pulling on my heart strings like from get Go and that, Like I found that really impressive and that really held a lot of the movie. And then motivations for a lot of characters together, so big ups to him in particular, he really was a standout.
Speaker 13: Yeah, No, one hundred percent that I feel like on this viewing, that was like the biggest impact I think I've I felt on this like viewing compared to like back in the day, I just was all for the fucking battle scenes and you know, just.
Speaker 12: Like the Gladiator kicking out. Now that I'm more of an adult, like.
Speaker 13: I just appreciate these these moments so much more. And I love that you mentioned that because it very much is like a just like a cloud over like the entire movie of just like this legacy that that he's given across and kind of his his teachings, Like although he died, like it wasn't just for nothing, like obviously his teachings like lived on through the Gladiator to to like make the change to Rome and then had like a basically just put an end to like this tyrannical emperor, just like undoing all these great works that Marcus Aurelio was. Marcus Aurelius was doing because this whole plan, right was to dissolve more so of the dictatorship and have it more of a like a senate, so I Yeah, I I don't know. I just really loved his scenes because, as you mentioned, like he just has so much just such a presence, like you just feel like, man, this is like the ruler that like everyone should just be loving, Like this is just seess so grandfatherly. And yeah, I really liked how kind of the theme of even with like his daughter's scenes between Maximus and and her of just speaking on like believing in Rome and like and like what it means it's not just one man. And yeah, I feel like that just like those scenes like gave me goosebumps. This this time around. It was like, man, like I it's like I'm watching a whole new movie now, Like I just really am appreciating this. So yeah, it actually like I feel like I lifted my score. Honestly, I'm just like, man, this movie is better than I than I even thought. So yeah, it was nice.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He he really really brought his a game. I mean in every role he does, I mean, the only two tips see him and I just feel like he's he's he's shown up to play and I love that.
Speaker 11: At the I mean, at the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: It's just it's it's his word. It's like he's just he's spiritually just transferred over into Maximus, Like Maximus is just like his.
Speaker 13: Just avatar Avatar with Marcus Aurelio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like he's just he just really commands so much respect, and it's just it's amazing how shit really hits the fan so quickly at the start of this movie. But the scenes that he's in with Maximus, it's just great because he's like, I just want to talk to you, man, de man, like disregard like the title and everything and the positions and the status.
Speaker 11: Let's just have a conversation.
Speaker 3: And it's just a simple chat like oh, I have a farm with some animals and whatnot. And he just loves hearing that. It's just that simplicity. And then you have his son come in, come off, what is it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, So that whole.
Speaker 3: Conversation was just crazy, especially just the way he delivers it. When Caesar is just like, you're you're how does he say it your failure is a son or you.
Speaker 11: God, I'm butchering.
Speaker 12: He pretty much just is saying, like, your shortcomings are because of my bad parents.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And it's like, oh, he's just he lands that line so well and it's so powerful, and then what does his son do? Just like, yeah, goddamn it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's like he's trying to console them. But that is one of the sickest burns in history. I feel like to say that to someone, like, God, damn that is that is that is brutal. He's kind of giving into him not having confidence in me. He's like, yeah, you should not be confident in yourself, but it's kind of my fault. But at the same time, you still kind of suck. Obviously said in a very you know, Roman Caesar sort away.
Speaker 13: That's how common has heard it, though Common has heard yes only as a slight towards him.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, Yeah, yeah, we want to talk about commonists at this point in time.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Absolutely. I I feel like, now that I've gone through seeing characters like Geoffrey Lanister and like and like just villain performances, I feel like used to just make me angry as a kid, and like I would just get mad at that character and be like I hate that character for this reason. I just don't like that.
Speaker 12: Actor in that role.
Speaker 13: Now it's like, man, I just appreciate people able to do that performance. Honestly, I'm just being so hated that, Like everyone and their grandmother sees that performance, Like, man, that is a bad person. I hate that character. I want them to die. So maybe not to that full extent, but definitely in this movie, I feel like it's warranted so like, and now that I've just seen a lot more of Walking Phoenix's performance, getting like he looks like such a baby in this movie compared to like the last thing I saw him, it would have been Joker to all these years later, twenty four years later, So I just man, like, I feel like he he's just such such a quality actor to be able to like again, like just the different layers of performance that he's done, whether it's Joker or his character from her when he's a relationship with like AI to like this, Like man, I feel like I just appreciate the performance so much more now that I've seen more of what he's done. In a long winded way of just saying it his great performance and yeah, I feel like he's just such a whiny brat and it's such like a distorted view on what's going on. And I just love the scenes. I feel like with his sister, it's like, will you stay with me tonight? And she's like, oh, you're still scared. It's like, yeah, some I'm very scared still. He's just such like a pathetic individual. It's and then and then like it'll go from like those scenes to like the most Manliest a man fighting for his life and like basically the survival of Rome in the glad Eater Pit. So it was just such an interesting like juxtaposition between those two characters. And I just loved whether they were interacting with each other or just like scenes on their own and then go to the other. I just love the balance of spending time amongst the two And yeah, comments is good.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I mean I totally agree. I think it was. It was funny watching this movie and being like, oh yeah, people like hundreds of years ago in this era could just like have depression. You know, you kind of forget about that, and I feel like commedists. That's why I thought was so interesting about him, is like this guy is just deeply, deeply depressed and that leads to many other issues and then he has he has other problems too, but on top of that, I just kind of feel like that fuels a lot of what's going on here. And as you mentioned, like the cast scene of Walking Phoenix is so interesting given those roles you mentioned, even throw like bo is afraid on there like a ring of fire. Like I feel like he's just good at playing depressed characters, people who are really really struggling, And so to put that here, I think it's such a It's kind of a juxtaposition in a way because going into this I kind of expected that obviously, Like with like ten minutes, I kind of knew where this movie was going. But when I before ever seen it, I kind of assumed, like, oh, yeah, the final fight is gonna be like the two big macho dude bro testosterone battles and they're just gonna be doing some big, huge fight. But it's not that at all, because that's not who Communist as a character. He's kind of a scrawny, weakling sort of type who's more about the mental game and the power than it is like the physical, Like he has no aspiration for that, and like his only way that he's ever gonna go into a fight is after he has unfairly poisoned his opponent beforehand and just be like overconfident. So I found the character like just super duper compelling and he's kind of shown as like the kind of classic Braddy Prince type character who always gets what he wants and when he doesn't, he just lashes out, such as lashing out to the point of to throw in a tantrument killing his dad. Obviously, that's kind of peak tantrum mode that you can go into. But the other things too, like just when he's in the I guess, like the Philosopher's circle square sort of thing, and the other people on the Senate are kind of questioning his decisions and he kind of just storms out of there and then he goes nuclear with it and just decides to completely shut them down in general and just go full in on this like colisseum and that's like he's gonna be his legacy. So yeah, I found him like a very multi sided character. I want to ask you guys about like what happens at the end, but I guess we can first get Taylor's thoughts just on this character overall.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So.
Speaker 3: He's just downfall into this sense of madness and distrust of everything and everyone is.
Speaker 11: It's quite a quite a trek.
Speaker 3: And while he's definitely disturbed from the get go, because he shows up late to the war and he's got all these expectations and whatnot. The moment he kills his father, you know, like, Okay, this guy's statistically just messed up. And so I thought it was interesting, Like you guys mentioned, he's in that Senate room and the senate's calling him out, and he just thinks, oh, why am I gonna help protect the people and we'll look after this plague situation. I'm just gonna put on a series of games and have the people fall in love with me, which does work, but it backfires obviously because of Maximus, and we'll get into that. But yeah, him as a character just utilizing his well, he feels safe with the older sister. But his older sister I would say, was you using him to kind of protect her son? I feel like because that that's the only reason. I feel like she wouldn't necessarily concede to him making certain like advancements onto her. But I think it's up to interpretation. Really, wait, sorry, what was that she was because they sleep together, but she was only sleeping with him just to protect her son.
Speaker 12: I feel like I did not know they were sleeping together.
Speaker 13: I didn't get that either.
Speaker 11: You didn't get that at all.
Speaker 3: No, because even that even that during it later she's like he's like speaking to her, and he's.
Speaker 11: Like, oh, yeah, you will.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna even look at me in a bad way. You're gonna give me a son and all an air and all that kind of stuff. So I took it as they were definitely intimate beforehand.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I I took like that's where they was gonna escalate too. And obviously when he like lays it down on the bed and like kisses her, I forget if he does kiss her like on the cheek or something like that. Yeah, and she's just like she just rolls a dark stiff yeah. Yeah, Like I think you're right here that like she would have, but I don't. I don't feel like it had it excelled to that point quite yet.
Speaker 13: At Yeah. I found like the dynamic of when he's first taking over really interesting because there's just so much tension amongst like everything on, like there is the change, and then obviously like the sister doesn't want him ruling, like like like she's almost like an inside double agent sort of situation, but like she still has to play along because she's terrified that to me, it seemed like she was terrified commtist was just gonna like murder Lucius because that's not his son, right, and then he wants a son with his sister that will be the new heir. He doesn't want Lucius to be the heir. That saw it just seemed like a lot of tension. Anytime that it was like comedis Lucius and the sister like it was it was just like a really and then obviously the scene when he's telling the tale on like he just knows about the betrayal, it's there. It's just oh, there's just so much thickness of tension in the air in those moments. But yeah, I didn't really take it that like it was just the thing that was happening. But like if that was the case, I would have believed you. But like it just seems like when she is just starfished on the bed, that's probably would have been the extent of the intimacy in those moments, But it just seemed like it was a thing that maybe it was coming, and like I don't know she she knew that it was eventually gonna be coming, but maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 12: Like she's still she's still like to your point to the kind of just does whatever he wants for the most part, like that I forget what. I forget what. There's some other scene where it's kind of like nighttime and he asks her some question and she's like, go to bed. She just doesn't like f off pretty much. So I think she she know she has that like sibling like boundary, but like she is right on the edge of that boundary and like trying to keep it enforced the whole time. But even like, yeah, that I think it's during that scene on the bed, or maybe it's later when when he's kind of telling that bedtime story to Lucius and then he's like obviously telling her that he's onto her with the coup and then that's happening. But I thought the line that was really powerful was that he's talking about how he's like father always said that life is a frightful dream. That line like really stuck me.
Speaker 11: One.
Speaker 12: It's like just him confirming that he has depression that he lives in like a frightful dream, but also that he's like he's aware of this kind of thing. He realized that there's issues.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 12: It's like it means that he's his father is still just in his mind constantly and still in his head even though he's he's killed him. But then I feel like that just shows how the lack of empathy that this character has because life is a frightful dream, Like he has all these issues, yet he's like knowingly doing this very same thing to his sister, Like I feel like there's nobody he can't read that she doesn't want these things, but she only does it because she kind of feels like she has to. And he still like constantly presses her on these things to the point of that that bed scene, which is obviously like super duper uncomfortable, Like that is the frightful dream right there, and so he's just putting that onto the person that he like presumably loves the most, and it just goes to show how like fd up he is in the head.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, he excuse me.
Speaker 3: His uh, since that moment there where he kind of is pressing the kid Lucius and it's just kind of like trying to coax the truth out of his sister. It bothered me because it just he gets that extra win there, and I feel like he just he wins consistently as much as he's losing at the same time. But it's not like a proud, like great win. It's as I said, he's losing as he's winning. It's just such a it pisses me off. And so when he's when he's like trying to bait the sister and get her to tell her, tell her what's tell him what's going on, it's, uh, it sucks that that kind of steam rolls into just pulling apart this whole plan because that part of the story where it was turning into like, oh, we're going to have the Senator turning on communists and we're going to have Maximus breaking free, bring in with him his five thousand troops to take over Rome and basically just kill the emperor. I would have loved that, but that's not the story we got.
Speaker 10: We got again, just this.
Speaker 13: We're getting hyped where you're like, oh, we're gonna be taken over nice.
Speaker 3: I was getting hyped because he was like, all, ye, my men will follow me and we'll come back and we'll leave the army here in the Senate. It's like, oh, we've never had an army come into the city of Rome before. I was like, oh, this is gonna be great. I can't wait. But then we got Maximus sneaking out and this guy ominously sitting on his horse like Maximus like he shouts it out and then gives him away Like that was oh yeah, it was kidding me.
Speaker 13: He wins again walking this guy. Yeah, just absolutely hate it.
Speaker 3: But when you see him in the arena at the end, though, it's it's neat to know that this isn't his first time fighting, right, he is a skilled fighter. We see him back at the beginning of the film when he's in the Germania camp. Basically he's taken on like four dudes at once and he's just like spin around fighting them off and whatnot.
Speaker 13: But like, come on, that isn't that just like the guards who are higher level. Yeah, say that he's a skilled fighter, like maybe he does the odd battle, but I think it's obviously he like doesn't have the experience. I was wondering, like, do you guys, I think that he wanted to die in the end, he does poison him, but I'd say he still does the fight.
Speaker 12: You don't think so?
Speaker 13: No, I think he just wanted like ultimate control and to have that legacy, like you just he really wanted to be remembered as like the ultimate like Caesar essentially, I feel like that was I don't know, you just seems so like because he is so like empathetic for like other people, he's just very like narcissistic and like his tendencies and it's just all about him and like the ego that comes with that. I feel like although he is very fragile like insecure, I feel like just some of the moves that he does like throughout the film, it just seems like, I he's very much a hurt person. Yeah, he's very depressed, so hurt people, hurt people, and I feel like that's what he really wants to do and like get some satisfaction out of that and just basically abusing his power and maybe to feel loved. But it's just like a thing that he's like he just doesn't understand the root cause on like how to actually get that admiration. That's that's just a key part of his flawed character. And but yeah, I don't think he was necessarily like looking for like it's like he's wearing like that nice white garb. It looks like something that you'd be buried in. Like I don't think that was his plan of like, I'm gonna die wearing this, but I don't know if you're gonna die, look out, you know, like better looks look pretty fly while you're doing it.
Speaker 3: But I mean that's where he gets his real taste of who's in control. Like he understands that, he knows that, Okay, he sees her, he's calling the shots.
Speaker 11: But when he's in the.
Speaker 3: Arena and he finds out that's it's Maxims who's the spaniard, which great fucking scene, Oh my god, and he's just ready to kill him, and the audience is like live, live, live live, and he can't.
Speaker 11: He can't.
Speaker 3: Right there, he's the most powerful man in Rome, but he can't go through with it because it'll just be bad news.
Speaker 11: So he doesn't do it.
Speaker 3: And I think that scene kind of adds to the ending where if he beats Maximus and he's at the end in the arena, then the audience is going to.
Speaker 11: Be like like Caesar, Caesar, Caesar, like kill, kill, kill.
Speaker 3: And so he's gonna be able to take in all of that and have what Maximus had. And I think he's very jealous of Maximus obviously because he calls him brother and all that stuff.
Speaker 12: So yeah, jealous of the fathers love, he is jealous of the sisters love. He's jealous of the people's love. I mean just every yeah, and Maximus is everything that he wants.
Speaker 13: I loved pretty much all the sequences when he's in the coliseum and like he he thinks that everyone's there for like him, but it's just like the Maximus Show, and he's just like he's just so sour, and after he wins, he's just like whining to his his his compatriot in the in his bedroom chain chambers. Later on, it's like they love him.
Speaker 12: I can't just kill him off, Like.
Speaker 13: He's just so whiny, like that little child. One of my favorite actual scenes with him. It's a pretty minor scene, but I because he does make like a lot of these like power moves to try and like shut down what's going on. Like obviously he figures out the plan of like overthrowing, like the coup that was going to be planned. He obviously figures that out and puts a stop to it. Like he does make these power moves. But I just loved how like throughout the whole film, because he is just this like very privileged individual that's lived his whole life like in this castle. Like he's never like actually anywhere near the action until the end of the movie when he when he dies, Like he's nowhere near the action when the big battle happens. At the beginning of the film, you know, he's riding in the stage coach with his sister when like the Knights of the of the are the raids that are going on. Like the next scene like after that happens, he like is in his bedchambers wearing pj's and he has like this massive BedHead, like he just slept for ten hours and it was the best sleep of his life. And he's just like did it?
Speaker 5: Did it work?
Speaker 13: Like he's just asking his his his buddy, like I just loved how again, Like it shows like this horrific like murders that are going on, like just all these like betrayals that that are happening. You have the guy that owns Maximus, the guy that's been helping out this whole time, you know, like he gets murdered in that sequence and then and then we jump over to like the Emperor's chambers and he's just having the best sleep of his life. So I just loved all the moments that were shown of like really intense bloodshed and then you know the guy in his ivory tower, like eating his grapes and just like no callouses on his hands, like he's just he's just so separated from it. So I, I don't know, I just love the way that they're able to show those moments, And to me, it was just such a like a start contrast of of the two characters again, like a big juxtaposition of like what's actual life like in that era. And they even mention it right like when he first takes over the role and he's in the Senate and he's talking about like all these things that he wants to do for the people, bring like health like it's not healthcare back then, but essentially like help out the sick, and then the Senate people are like, have you ever actually seen like a sick person before? Like have you ever Like you're just so like warped in your perception of what reality is like on like the streets for the people of Rome, and like you're just saying all these things that you think is gonna like you know, all of the aqueducts will be wine and everyone's just gonna be happy and loving each other. It's like that is just so warped into store tonight. I just feel like throughout the whole film they were able to like really showcase those moments of showing how disconnected he is with the reality of what's going on, and like even the people in the Senate, I'm sure are like completely separated from the realities that we're going on, but even they have a more like realistic understanding of it. But I don't know, I was kind of rambling there, but I just I really loved though, Like because I'm viewing it now, like years later, I feel like I just didn't even notice any of those scenes I just mentioned like until now, so it was like I was watching on a brand new movie again and I just I really really liked it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it goes to show that, like I don't know how old his character is supposed to be in this, but like clearly he's had enough time to start learning some of these things from his father, but instead of doing that, he was just fucking around doing other stuff. And it's not just that Maximus is a stronger fighter, like is the reason why Marcus Aurellius wanted to hand over the crown to him is because of like all this other stuff as well, And yeah, he just had no he had no, I guess, motivation to like learn how to do those things or be better at the political side of it. One one scene that I think is fantastic just in the way, well in the dialogue and then like the way it's shot specifically, is after he's caught on to the coup that's gonna happen, he has he's talking to like his general or his right hand man, some guy, and he's talking about like what's gonna happen to Lucius and Lucilla and Lucilla now that they've now that he's caught onto it, and like really messed up stuff that he's describing what he's gonna do to his sister and her son. And then like the camera just pans over and like she's just been there the whole time listening to him explain all this stuff. When I thought or it seems like a more of a private conversation he's having with like the troops, I thought that that scene was like chilling. It's like, oh my god, this guy is so effed up. I guess that leads to a question I had, which is, how exactly does he catch onto the coup because I know he's suspicious of her because she's been out later than he expects, But I couldn't tell if there was also like he had got a tip from Lucius, who wasn't maybe sure of everything that was going on. He was just telling his uncle stuff and that's how he got a hint. But I don't know my missing something there? Is it just the sister and that suspicion because it almost seemed like too smart of a deduction based on what we've seen from that character to that point.
Speaker 13: I definitely took it like he just has spies that like follow people everywhere, and okay.
Speaker 12: So he has people that actually care about him more than Rome or.
Speaker 13: Maximia on the payroll. I guess, yeah, there's definitely those individuals that like money over it, but they definitely could have shown I think a little bit more of like how he found that out. I don't know. I just I did find like even on this viewing, I was like, did I miss a scene like where they explain that, But I don't. Yeah, I guess I guess he just there's many eyes, you know, there's eyes and ears all over Rome, and some of them own is on his payroll. But that's what I took it. And Taylor is another reason.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's pretty much it because he he was pretty spot on with knowing this senator is a part of this, this plan, this senator practice.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean you have to have spies to know that. I mean, yeah, because otherwise how how would they know? The only ones that were present in those meeting chambers were yeah, Maximus, and then the Senator, and then the sister and then I guess the gladiator owner. But I mean he obviously died a hero. He wasn't going down with commonists.
Speaker 13: So proximal, proximo, proximal.
Speaker 12: He's cool. Yeah, yeah, since we were kind of just talking about the sister a little bit. Uh. For the most part, I think the character is really well done. Good acting and all that, and she is able to bring some gravitas in terms of what you're saying, Kirk, like being the double agent and the acting to you know, show those those different the parts that she's hiding, was all really good. My one beef with the character was I thought the kind of love element between her and Maximus. It was really cheesy. It was really forced, and it was also very just like male director, male gayzy kind of thing of like, oh, of course, like the pretty queen has to kiss our main hero guy. Because I just felt like it pacing wise, it it didn't really make sense. I understand why she would look up to him and think he's he's hot and a cool badass and all that, and like they've had this pass which they allude to many times. But I think from his perspective, that's where it didn't really make any sense. Like he's still like days, maybe it's been weeks at this point, it's hard to say, but he's still like hot off the murder of his wife, and like he's doing all this for her, for his son, and like for the king and for Rome and all this, and I just feel like to throw in this weird love storyline where they kiss every once in a while. It was just it was really forced. I did not like that whatsoever. I think it maybe makes a bit more sense from her perspective, but even then I don't think it makes a ton of sense. So I just I just don't think it was a necessary addition. Here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I somewatould agree with you. I feel like it would have just made sense of like that era of everyone's just fucking everyone and like it like it's just there's just so many unfaithfulness I think going on like in this era, especially just like wartime generals away from your family for that long, but it seemed like the focus of the story, like it just was so unnecessary for them to like have those moments. I feel like my defense in those scenes, for like from Lucilla's perspective is like she's just so like feeling trapped in her tower, you know, like like scared of what's gonna happen with her son, with her brother and all these situations, and like this individual Maximus, that it's just showing the best qualities that you would want from like a Roman individual, and like she very much seems like she took her father's teachings like to heart and like just what Rome should be, and it seems like she's like genuine with all those feelings, Like it's like we believe in Rome, not just the individual of who's running it. And I think from her perspective, seeing someone like Maximus that's just like basically rising from the ashes like a phoenix and like putting an end to the Commutist's reign from like just what he's doing in the pits after losing all his family. Like it's just like she's so admiring those qualities, and then in those moments, maybe she's feeling like just trapped and this is her savior, and it would make sense why she would want to just be in love with this individual. It's almost like a oh my gosh, what's her name? What's uh, what's the king of Rohan's nieces name? Oh my gosh, Aoin it's like the Aowen or Ara Gordon, Like it's just like a perfect man, perfect individual of just like he's such a leader and like all these qualities. I just I love this individual. And then it's just like it's actually happening and she believes so like I don't know, I feel like that's in my mind, but like in that one moment, like have like one kiss in the entire scene or sorry, the entire movie, and then it's just like leave it there. It did seem strange, like even early on when they had like some romantic tension, like I didn't really need the historic like relationship that they had. It was more so just like what the individual's representing.
Speaker 12: And I could tell if the purpose of that, like because I felt like they were kind of hinting that that that that Lucius could be Maximus's son. Yeah, but that never really gets like confirmed, right or like maybe has been for the sequel. And that's because I think Lucius is like one of the main guys in the sequel, right, So I I don't know, like, what do you do? You guys have a prediction there, like is that his son? Yes?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 13: Maybe, so I could see it being the case. I hope it's not, though, Like I would have liked the story more that they just they just had their own children.
Speaker 12: It's like a weird thing to not like confirm in the movie if they weren't doing.
Speaker 13: That, and I'm sure it's around it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And like I don't know if this movie was a box office success, but if they were like doing sequel bait kind of stuff and it was a success, well, they didn't make the sequel until twenty years later, so twenty five years later pretty much. Yeah, Taylor, what's your theory? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I I honestly don't think that they were at all thinking of a sequel for this, and so the idea that they're kind of building off like well, let's say, okay, hypothetically, because I don't know for sure if this is the Sun and they're building off of a story of this being the son of both Maximus and that uh.
Speaker 11: And Caesar sister Silla Lucilla. Yes, I I don't know. I don't see it. I took it as watched this movie. They had a.
Speaker 3: Relationship, they went their separate ways, they had kids with other people, and then you know, so forth here we are. So I don't I don't really prescribe to the idea that yes, Lucius is his son.
Speaker 11: I just think it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, it'll be very weird if the sequel is like, yeah, this is Lucius and then Lucius wears Maximus's armors, like yeah, your father was Maximus. It's like, ah, well, they're just reckconning.
Speaker 13: I feel a little bit.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I hope they don't be like, oh, yeah, people love this movie and love Maximus as a character, so we want to make like his offspring part of this movie. Like I don't think people would care about that, you know, they just want like a cool, new, interesting story that is still following in the events and like the world that we set up here. But I don't think we need like to have his son in there for people to care.
Speaker 13: Definitely not Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, it's not pulling me.
Speaker 13: In, me out. Actually got him out of there.
Speaker 3: Well you you mentioned, you know, back in this time people having all their relationships and stuff like that, and I just think that I don't even know where I was going. I just I was gonna steer that into the men being gladiators and fighting in the arena and all that, but didn't make any sense at all.
Speaker 13: That's great transition we'll get of infidelity.
Speaker 11: Let's get into the gladiators.
Speaker 3: You wanted to talk about the fighting, right, Dylan, some of the fight stuff that was going on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think we definitely should because that's definitely a big i'd say selling point of these movies is the big gladiatorial battles. I think for the most part, they did. They did work, and I like them. I like the different set pieces. I like the different setups like you have, like the Battle of the Fall of Carthage. I think that was kind of a fun setting thing. I think for me, it was mostly just the whoever was holding that damn camera. I was not a big fan of the way a lot of these things were shot. I just felt like the camera was often very zoomed in, like I'm looking at Maximus' back and like his arm little bit a lot of shaky cam, which you know, if you've ever listened to Geekers for you know, I fucking hate shaky cam in general. But the mix of like a lot of zooms in, a lot of shaky cam, and I just feel like a lot of quick cuts as well that it made it like for certain battles like I forget his name's like Titus or Titan, you know, like the he's never lost a battle that bring in that big guy. I like just the way that that battle was cut. I couldn't like follow the flow of it as like an actual battle with momentum. It just felt like, Okay, here's one quick sequence for like five seconds, and then like it could be like a minute later, here's like another part of the fight, and we're kind of just stitching it all together. So I just wanted a bit more cohesion. I think some of the battles are able to achieve that. And then lastly, and this is one of the things that's just like, Okay, the movie hasn't aged amazingly well. Is like the really cheesy slow mo, which I'm sure like so fucking badass in the year two thousand, but it just looks so bad today. And so the combination of the shaky cam, the SloMo, and like the weird zoom ins it. I think some of the fights, particularly the more intimate ones, I think I wanted a bit more, But I think generally the big set PC ones like the one where like all the all of them are huddled together with their shield around and like they got the chariots going around that fight is really great for the most part, and there are other highlights with like individual moments, but I think overall, I just wanted someone else holding holding that camera, or like maybe a different editor, like picking the different shots that were a bit more that are a little bit better. So I'm curious to see what that looks like in the sequel years. Obviously the same director, but I imagine it's maybe a different cinematographer, different editors and things. I know there's a lot of different people behind the scenes, like Ridley Scott's obviously back, but that seems like about it, and even a couple actors. But anyway, Yeah, that was that was kind of my overall thoughts of the battles.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I I feel like this time around that was actually like the lowest point of the movie for me. Was like the actual combat sequences. I like the setup of the combat and the lead up to it. I like when they're like the first time they're going out there and the guy's just pissing his pants, is pissing his tuning right in front of Maximus and.
Speaker 12: Just like.
Speaker 13: Just like putting us on ground level of like in the trenches coming out and you don't even know what the fuck you're gonna see. And like when the first time they go into the into the coliseum and maxims like, no matter what's out there, just stick together, Like it could be fucking unicorns flying from the skies, Like no matter what it is, let's just stick together and we'll be better together. And they go out there's like lions and there's there's just like just crazy stuff that you wouldn't even expect to see on a regular battlefield. And I like that aspect of it. But when we actually get down to like you said, when big giant man Titus comes out, it like I that scene was so much lesser than I remember it being. And I remember just loving the look of Titus when he's got like the mask with the ear drop thing or the ear drop the eye drop.
Speaker 12: Seem as Juggernaut from X three.
Speaker 13: That's fair great physique, you know, like like it just a big build up moment, but when they're actually clashy and it's just like, okay, there's there's not much to this. I'd rather go see Dune part two, you know, see Paula Tred's or someone else. I can't remember his name. I can't remember the ball guy's name right now. It's been too long, so see that. But like, I don't know, it's just the hand to hand was a little bit lesser than I remember being. And even in like the early portions of the movie when we're seeing the battle going on, I like the scale of it, but like the hand to hand combat is nothing really you know.
Speaker 12: Do you mean like the sorry, the first battle like a Germania like the Woods battle. Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: Like when Marcus Aureli is still alive, like when it's actually like the full line.
Speaker 12: I think I was very with that part. I was just so anytime we watched like an older movie and like, oh yeah, they're actual horses here and there's like actually three hundred actors and not just like CGI stuff. That's that's what was like getting me. It was like, ah, look, it's great to have like what feels like a very authentic, yeah, tribute to like I don't know what the scale of something like this could actually look like.
Speaker 13: You got the dog in there too. It's like, man, it's impressive, like real dog, real horses, like running tigers, so dangerous.
Speaker 12: Butler or what's his name, real Gerard Butler.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he donated some of his splash. But yeah, overall combat a little bit, a little bit lesser, but yeah, just interesting, how like you age like a movie. In my mind, this was such an action movie and now it's like not even about that, Like it's about like the philosophical ideas and just the struggle of what, you know, what makes a man like important? So yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 3: You mentioned there that line when Russell Crow is like, oh, whatever comes, whatever's the other side of that gate, like stand together? I was just thinking it reminds me of of h Gandalf when he's in ministeriis and totally he's like, whatever comes to that.
Speaker 11: Gate, you'll stand your crowd.
Speaker 12: This is.
Speaker 11: Cave troll.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was just such a like god damn, Like I don't know, the just the courage.
Speaker 11: And you have this one guy who's like what does he say? Russell Crowe?
Speaker 3: He's like, how many of you have military experience? And they all like look at him, like what, and then he just like rallies them together and he's like stand together, shields up, and he's given them orders. But then you got like the one, two, maybe three random fucos that are.
Speaker 11: Off on their own, like you guys are idiots? What are you doing out there?
Speaker 12: And the show when the one lady on the cherryt gets like cut in half, it's very iconic, two thousands practical, so it like goes for her. Uh yeah, she's like still as a board as she like tumbles to the ground. In two parts, I really liked the I think zucker Bar is the name of the place that Proximo that's where his his ring is, his colosseum. I really like that match where a lot they were all kind of strapped together with another member, and that's where you have Jubat Giant Huntshu's character, which is like, why is this guy just in every single movie He's like everywhere, which I which I love. But I really liked their dynamic and I thought that was like that led to some really fun choreography of their chain together and they at one point they like knocked the guy over by just bringing the chain into him. And then like the classic uh, the one like huge guy is paired with that the guy who was like pissing himself, and he just like he gots he gets taken up pretty quick and then he just like chops his hand off and then he like uses his hand it's like a flail pretty much. So I thought that that fight just led to some really fun uh choreography in general, because it was a more like a restrained sort of fight and there was, you know, more than two people, So I thought that one was like a highlight as well. Yeah, totally, And yeah, I thought I thought that element of like Proximo, I really liked Proximo, and I couldn't really articulate why in the way I can articulate why I like these other characters so much. Just somebody about the performance. I thought was really good and I liked that he was kind of that mentor and he obviously has a lot of respect. He sees what Maximus is capable of, but he kind of encourages him to play up the crowd angle of it and not just go for the win. Of of course he got a win or else you're just dead, but to do both and that's why he was considered such a great fighter back in the day when he was still doing it. So, yeah, I like Proximal. He's a character. He was a fun, fun side character.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I really like Proximally. I feel like he's I feel like he's more like layered than he seems as well, right, because he's like when you first meet him, he's just like he's just a slave owner, Like he just deals with people and like people's currency, and like it's just like he doesn't care if they liver or as long as they make a money. Well, I guess he wants them to live to make money, but if they are to die, you know, go out dramatically for the for the show, and that's how it starts. And then it seems like, Okay, he's just he's just with like Maximus because he's making a money and he's all hype, you know, he's like, oh man, I really score, Like this guy's gonna make me so much dough. And it seems like that is the main focus for like a good portion of the relationship until it gets to the point and and you know, like he has given him good lessons of like it's not just about being the best fighter, like I wasn't the best fighter. You gotta win the crowd, and the crowd like those are the ones that literally like save you live or die right when theyre when it goes to uh comtists with the with the thumbs, you know, shouts out to Emma Frosts and her thumbs. But in this case, it's it's depending on what the crowd says is what lives or dies. So like, I just I really liked his lessons there. But then it gets to a point when he starts to kind of realize of like what's going on and like what's like and then of course Maximus kind of tells him the plan there and very easily, like he could have just traded him in, right, Like okay, well, I'm probably gonna get a bounty if I just like reveal this to comtists or whatever. But it still seems like he, in the back of his mind believes in like those those Roman ideals and like and like the true idea of what Rome is. And maybe it's just because he's forgotten about it because he's been so caught up and just his day to day job of being, you know, like a slave owner. And I I just feel like Maximus sparked something inside of him and kind of like reawoke in that gladiator in him, Like like it's very courageous of what he did, even though he wasn't in the pit. It's just being the guy that's like, you know what, I'm gonna let you out of the gate here, Like I know I'm gonna die, but like that is the proper thing to do. And he and he holds like his his wooden sword that he won when when he became a free man, and it's just like he's proud dying that way. And even though he had all this bounty of money, I'm sure he had like different properties and he's a pretty plump guy, like he was eating well more so than other people that were alive in that time. But but like he still was just like, no, that is the proper thing to do. So I just love the evolution of the character on He's He's not like a main character by any means in the show, but he's a very important piece too, I think, just the overall puzzle of the story. So yeah, I really appreciate proximists a lot more on this viewing for sure.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna drop my thoughts after this quick.
Speaker 7: At break He's Ryan, He and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 7: Are you a fist pumper, a woo, a handclapper, a high fiver. If you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus three daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 8: Sponsored by Chumba Casino. No purchase necessary VGW Group Ford. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 5: Black Friday is coming, And for the adults in your life.
Speaker 4: Who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them.
Speaker 5: This year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail.
Speaker 4: Maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good or the right kind of bad, get them Botisian at the push of a button, make five quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattans, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off amazing toys.
Speaker 5: I'm just putting kids.
Speaker 4: Get one hundred off of cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through cyber Monday visits Baptisian dot com slash cocktail. That's b A R T E s I a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 9: Recently, a new client called me and started by saying, mister Morgan, I really need your help.
Speaker 10: But I'm just a nobody.
Speaker 9: Those words stunned me and I immediately called him back, and we're now helping him and his family after a terrible accident. I'm John Morgan and Morgan and Morgan. Everybody who comes to our firm at their time of need is a somebody. I grew up poor, but my grandmother was like a queen to us. At Morgan and Morgan. Our goal is to level the playing field for you and your family and your time of need. The insurance company has unlimited money and resources.
Speaker 10: You need a firm who.
Speaker 9: Can fight them toe to toe for right at thirty years, we have fought them at courtrooms throughout America.
Speaker 10: Our results speak for themselves.
Speaker 9: And always remember this, everybody is a somebody and nobody is a nobody. Visit for the People dot com to learn about our firm, Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 14: For the people injured. Visit for the People dot com for an office near you.
Speaker 15: You can get lonely climbing Mam McKinley. So to entertain myself, I go to Chumpacasino dot com. At Chuma Casino, I can lay hundreds of online casino style games for free, like online slots, bingo, slingo and more.
Speaker 13: Plus I get a daily login bonus.
Speaker 15: It's just too bad that I'm here. I don't have anyone to share my excitement with.
Speaker 2: Jump live the Timba life anytime, anywhere, playing for free now at chumpacasino dot com room no necessary FORID look rehemitive, my lossy terms of conditions.
Speaker 4: Black Friday is coming, And for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and ounther of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale.
Speaker 5: You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker.
Speaker 4: Bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartisian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's and.
Speaker 5: More, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off.
Speaker 4: Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get one hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred. Through Cyber Monday, visit Bartsian dot com slash cocktail that's b ar t e sia N dot.
Speaker 9: Com slash cock Recently, a new client called me and started by saying, mister Morgan, I really need your help, but I'm just a nobody. Those words stunned me and I immediately called him back and we're now helping him and his family after a terrible accident.
Speaker 10: I'm John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 9: Everybody who comes to our firm at their time of need is a somebody. I grew up poor, but my grandmother was like a queen to us at Morgan and Morgan. Our goal is to level the playing field for you and your family at your time of need. The insurance company has unlimited money and resources.
Speaker 10: You need a firm who.
Speaker 9: Can fight them toe to toe for right at thirty years, we have fought them in courtrooms throughout America. Our results speak for themselves, and always remember this, everybody is a somebody and nobody is a nobody. Visit for the People dot com to learn about our firm, Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 14: For the people injured, Visit for the People dot com for an office.
Speaker 11: Near you, and we are back.
Speaker 3: Yes, Proximo is uh He's definitely a big transitioning character because I feel like when you first meet him, he's fighting with this other slave owner over it, just like what he owes money on direct.
Speaker 11: From the Mummy, guy from the Mummy. Yeah, yeah, hear.
Speaker 13: Did the Mummy come out too? Because it seemed like he went from one set to the other, like you look, the exact same age.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's good to see.
Speaker 11: Him in there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he he just goes from being this like money kind of like slaver guy, and after that he transitions into just like, you guys are all going to die and it's going to benefit me. But as you die, you're gonna just hear like clapping noises and stuff like that.
Speaker 11: You just you don't have to explain what that was like, Yeah, you just you.
Speaker 3: Don't like him at the start, but then he sees what Maximus is doing and thinks, Okay, well now they're doing this big assembly thing, and he just believes in Maximus, and I like how he's just you understand it. He was a gladiator himself, and he kind of he got out of the he got out of that world of fighting, but he earned his freedom and just when he's just he sells the scene when he's talking about how he was not directly like, didn't directly meet Caesar, which is again, Maximus is Caesar, but the Caesar like acknowledged him, I guess, or something like that. And it's just it was such a for him. This was like him meeting God. That was such an important moment of his life. And he was bestowed this wooden sword with his name on it. So just really really cool. And yeah, it's it's sad that he gets killed off at the the end there, but yeah, just a really really good character and I'm glad that he turned around and decided to help Maximus with his plan.
Speaker 12: Mhm. Did did anything stand out to you guys about the music of this movie?
Speaker 13: It felt, Uh, I've watched a lot of Daredevil between now and when I watched that, So I do remember though, watching this and thinking, yes, this reminds me of something very very familiar. What is it?
Speaker 11: What is it?
Speaker 12: You couldn't You couldn't place it in the moment where you're watching, is it? Taylor? Did it stand to Oh?
Speaker 11: No, I am out to lunch on this one.
Speaker 12: Okay, it's Pirates of the Caribbean. Baby, It is the theme of Pirates of the Caribbean minus like a note, And so I looked into this. This movie is composed composed, there's two composers, Lisa Gerard, not Gerard Bart but someone named Lisa Gerard, and Hans Zimmer is on here too, and then Pirates is Hans Zimmer. It's hard. I was looking into this a lot, and apparently Hans Zimmer like is partly responsible for like some of the Pirates music, but one of the things is that he wrote the theme. Apparently he wrote it just like in a night into like some crazy night and then he like sent it off to the main comp the Pirates movies and like kind of let him take credit. But like, Hans Zimmer actually wrote that, And so I was cackling. I'm like, man, the theme of this fucking movie is one note off of Pirates. It is the exact same He just copied his homework for Pirates, which is so funny because that is one of the most iconic like movie themes of all time, and the fact that it actually is kind of just ripping off one of his earlier scores I find hilarious. So that I was looking up, like, am I the only one who heard this or that other people hear it now, Like there's all sorts of Reddit threads and people talking about this and talking about how it happened. But it was just hilarious to me how similar it was. So yeah, what go back after this and on YouTube, just listen to the Pirates then listen to the that. I'm sure someone has a comparison video on YouTube. It is hilarious how close they are, like these same core notes of that theme is just yeah, one to one, It's freaking hilarious. So show just to Hans Zimmer, you know when you got it, You got it, when you wrote a good theme, use it again? Why not?
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm actually quite astounded by that. I was just I just did a quick google and I see a bunch of articles people like anyone noticed the two themes are very similar. That's hilarious. That blows my mind.
Speaker 12: Yeah, good stuff. I just have a couple other couple other points here for myself. One is I I really I really like the the way that they make the Colosseum almost like a character or like just the mythos around the Colosseum. I forget what the first shot that we see it as But one section I really liked is when I think it's colmonists like up in his up in his quarters, and he's like looking at a diorama of the Colosseum, and then that kind of like fades into a shot like a top down shot of the actual Colisseum, and just like seeing the scale, especially at that point we've we've seen Zuckerbar, We've seen Proximo's tiny little ring compared to the Colosseum. And then I think that we cut when we cut back to Maximus and Juba and their first time getting into the city and like looking up at this colsum and it's just like so huge, and getting it from like their perspective as like just a little guy looking up at this huge monument was really cool. So I thought that was I like this kind of cinematography around that. And then my last quick show here is I just love that sequence when they're about to execute Maximus after he has kind of gone against Calmunus's wishes, and you have that scene in the woods when they're going to take him out, and then of course he like gets out of his trap and starts battling, and then like the one guy that can't pull his sword out and he's like Frost sometimes it makes the blade stick. And I just love that line. It wasn't it just shows like how expert of a fighter it is that he would know that little detail and going into this battle and I'm sure when he's like walking out to the woods just planning, like how is this fight gonna go, he's like expecting that to happen. It just yeah, it's one of those things early on in the movie that shows you, yeah, he is just an outstanding fighter, like he is kind of top top notch. So I really like that section.
Speaker 11: Yeah that Oh go ahead, you go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say that that fight scene, yeah, after the post Frost moment. It just I don't know what it is with just sequences like that with flying swords just always gets me because.
Speaker 11: Like, what do you do?
Speaker 3: You got this big, like heavy piece of metal and it just it's a sound effect too. It's like when you see this fucking sword and yeah, it just impales you. It's like, God damn you just you're done. There's nothing, there's nothing you can do with that.
Speaker 13: I catch it, I just catch it, catch it by the blade.
Speaker 12: Wasn't that a shot and glad of your two trailers. Like someone throws a spear or shoots an arrow up at one of the guys in the box grabs it with his hand, right.
Speaker 13: You gotta put in your bow shoot it back. That's like the class very much. So uh yeah, No, Maximus was was fantastic. Didn't say a lot about them, but I feel like Crow was just really really great. Another scene that I really really love in this movie is like the first time that the Spaniard like wins in the in the you know, in the ring, and commonists like I must meet this man goes down there and you know, like they all get these rules like don't ever turn your back to the caesar, like it's basically life or death situation, and he just does not give a fuck. And like in that in that moment, like he picks up the arrowhead right like this is gonna be his assassination moment. Like in his mind, all he has to do is get up to commonists stab him in the throat. And honestly, if Lucius wasn't there, he probably would have done it. He probably would like if like if Lucius didn't come down right, Like that's kind of when he recoiled a little bit with the uh or not recoiled he maybe, yeah, got a lot of the rings quotes in my mind, I have no thief, but but yeah, like I feel like if Lucius didn't come down there, like he would have just shoved that right into the throat of Commonists and that would have been that he would have been murdered right then and there. But he would have just gone to his family and known that, you know, vengeance is complete. Like he took out Commonist, that was his goal. But by the end of the movie, like his goal and what he accomplishes is just so much more significant than just a revenge tale, right, Like he literally changes the entire outcome of like Roman life and moving forward, Like, like what happens if Commonist does just stay as the tyrannical ruler? Right he gets like five children from his sister. They're all looking fucked up because they're all ancestral children. But like he just like what could have happened, right for like the people living for yeah, Like literally, I mean he probably would have been.
Speaker 12: Like breakout and kill everyone.
Speaker 13: He probably would have been murdering in his throne room. I imagine just assassinating. I feel like that's the way a little lot of tyrannical rulers go. But yeah, I know, I I just really liked how that moment would have been the end of his tail, but like just holding back there or turning it, turning his back and like the immediate just like anger that comes out of commons, like how dare you even do that? And he takes off his helmet and then he just like straight up says like I'm this person, you know, I am the true Like uh, what does he say? A like follower of the one true ruler Marcus Aurelius, like right in his face, basically just discounting the legitimacy of the of the ruler right in front of him, the most significant person in the entire great city of Rome. And he's just like talking down to him. And Communists can't do anything because the people are just like, oh my god, this is like reality TV right now. Like imagine being a viewer, you know, like in that era, Like that's like hit reality TV right there.
Speaker 12: It's just you're just like imagining what's being said.
Speaker 3: I got the I got the quote here free Kirkland, because yeah, he turns around My name is Maximus Decimus Mridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this Like.
Speaker 13: Holy fuck chills, chills, just as sure as the rock scot chills already. That's that's what I got when you're reading that. But yeah, I just love how intent that moment is. And then immediately after right like uh, communist leaves, it's like him whinying to one of his his his whoever, one of his people that listen to him, Like I can't kill him because I will not make a martyr out of him, Like he's just such a whiny brat in those scenes. But yeah, no, I just want to show that scene really really good.
Speaker 3: Uh interesting how because when you see the intro and the startup with Maximus and he's got his it looked like he was two in like sub general's like lieutenants working under him, but mainly just the one who becomes kind of a focus. That one who is the focus is the guy that kind of like after Aurelius's death. This one guy who you thought was Maximus's friend ends up just saying, okay, take his sword. You're not leaving, Like, take him out into the woods, walk him till sunlight or first light, and then execute him. And then he ends up becoming commonist is like right hand guy, like soldier I guess of the prematory and guards right. And it's funny how at the end he's the one too that just kind of like surper is against commonests when he's like, oh, I'm not giving you a so everyone.
Speaker 10: Sheathe your swords.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, I just thought it was interesting how his betrayal kind of turned around.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well said hell, yes, yeah, is there anything else you guys have or do you want me to drop some trivia on you? I got nothing left on my ancient tablet here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, no more scripture on my runs.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Oliver Reid he's the actor that played Proximo. He died three weeks before principal photography ended. Because Proximo was considered a key character, a clause in the movie's insurance contract would have allowed the filmmakers to reshoot all of his scenes with another actor. At the insurer's expense about twenty five million. However, most of the actors and crew were exhausted from the punishing schedule, and Sir Ridley Scott did not want to cut Reid from the movie. The script was rewritten and a body double and CGI we used to give Read's character a plausible resolution. Interesting, interesting, Okay, Yeah. The opening battle scene was filled in Bourne Woods, Surrey, England. The Royal forestryt Commission had originally slated the area for deforestation, so servidly Scott eagerly offered them his facilities to burn the woods to the ground, and the commission accepted.
Speaker 12: So wow, that is insane.
Speaker 13: Actually, that's wild.
Speaker 11: Yeah, practical effects.
Speaker 3: Most notably, there have been rumors Mel Gibson was offered the role Maximus uh and he had turned it down. Gibson says he was too old to play Maximus. Scott denies he was ever even offered the part. Sounds particularly also considered to play Maximus for Hugh Jackman and Antonio Banderaz.
Speaker 12: Jackman. Hugh Jackman, that's a multiverse. I'd like to see what we got here.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you alluded to this earlier. Kirkland Jack Gleeson who models his character Joffrey brath In in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 11: After Emperor comminas.
Speaker 13: Hey, there you go, similarities makes cooeah.
Speaker 3: Over the course the gladiatorial scenes, Russell Crowe lost all feeling in his right forefinger for two years after a sword fight. Aggravaden and Achilles tendon injury, broke a foot bone, cracked a hip bone, and popped a few bicep tendons out of their sockets.
Speaker 13: That's nothing what the Dragon Chrome crew has.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but you'll notice Comtists has no injury. Is classic walking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, gian Nina Facio Hope, I'm saying that right. Who played the wife of Maximus actually married Sir Ridley Scott in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 13: The Boy years later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, This movie started shooting without a lock screenplay in place. According to Russell Crowe, the initial draft was so bad that, when he was approaching the lead role, not even the producer wanted to send him a copy, afraid that he wouldn't respond to it. Crowe was instead urged to meet with the director, Ridley Scott first, But unbeknownst to the producer, crow had already attained a copy of the script and disliked it. But it was went over by Scott's take on the project as well as Calvius rewrites.
Speaker 12: Man. That is interesting because I do I feel like it's a very well written movie. But I guess, you know, those rewrits is where it rewrites.
Speaker 13: I suppose think it's not always the case. You know, sometimes when there's a lot of rewrits or something, it's like a bad sign, like it's gonna be a bit of a mess. But this case it worked out.
Speaker 3: That's the way with Blade, right, all those rewrites not a thing?
Speaker 11: Or is it just directors?
Speaker 12: Yeah, rewrits director the movie. So it's a mess for sure.
Speaker 13: Mike Blade Runner. That was oh right, Blade, Yeah, that was removie.
Speaker 3: The Germania Battle sequence took twenty days to complete. And my last fact here the film Gladiator had a budget of one hundred and three million and grossed four dre and sixty five million at the box office. So it did pretty good. Yeah, not too shabby. Yah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there you go, Crow Scott, now here we are second one.
Speaker 12: I'd be curious to go check out an interview and see, like, why all these years later it was now the right time to do that sequel. I don't know if it's like because I don't think there's a ton of actors from this first one. I think Luscilla, like the mom, is in there, so I think she's still around. And I don't know, like obviously aging wise, like are we going twenty years in the future. I think we are because Lucius is like a man and he's like one of the main characters, right, and so.
Speaker 13: I'd like to see I feel like I've seen that trailer so many time for the second film, and all I can remember right now is just Denzel Washington's character, and I don't remember anything, which is nice. You know, I'm gonna go into it pretty black. Yeah, yeah, it's still just kind of funny.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we'll see. I mean, it's different writers, as we said, like almost a fully new cast, So I don't know. It's gonna be one of those interesting sort of legacy sequel kind of things where of course you still have the same director, but he's also quite the wild road since the year two thousand. So I'm really curious to see what kind of what the vibe is like generally speaking.
Speaker 13: You know Pirates Caribean theme right at the opening.
Speaker 12: Yep, I mean that's actually a good point because that is kind of the theme of this movie pops up multiple times. So I wonder if they're going to reuse that because now people be like, oh, I want to rip off of Pirates because like no one remembers the theme of this movie. But that would be a wild decision. I think it's I wonder I'm going to actually see who they.
Speaker 3: Got that they got that sequence in here where the arena the colseum fills up with water and they got the boats here with the Pirates theme just full swing, fraidy to get wet.
Speaker 12: Oh man, Yeah, I'm I'm gonna try and find real quick who the composer is of.
Speaker 13: I'll get my closing thoughts. Then that's an appropriate to it? Do it? Do It? Do It Kill Her? Do It out a Rebel Moon? Part two? Yeah? I know this movie. This movie is fantastic. Man, I really really love this movie. I I think I would have it like my top ten favorite movies of all time. But like for being just like a historical Like now, I see this more of a historical drama more so than like a like a an action movie, And I just think it does such a great job at telling like an inspirational taking like overthrowing a tyrant type of film. Like I just really think that there's a lot of magic in this movie of just whether it's the costume designs or the scale of everything, the moving pieces that are in here, phenomenal actors, the run time that really just blows by. Brought that up earlier, just like the pacing is just it's really smooth, it's really nice. Just it's just a nice movie to watch. So this is one that because like because it's probably been like over a decade since I've watched it. Like I think the last time I did watch this movie probably would have been in that Grade eight history class, whatever it was. I feel like I'm gonna I'll be wanting to throw this one on actually more often, like I don't know, maybe a year or so. Just just get my Gladiator fixed and hopefully Gladier two is really really good and I can just do a nice little double feature thing there and yeah, I'm I'm definitely I would say my hype like spiked now going into the second movie. I was hopeful, especially just getting those earlier trailers. I feel like those kind of reignited some of the magic and like, oh man, yeah, I'm ready for some gladiatorial battles. But now that I've gone through the first movie again, fucking ready, man, I'm ready, I'm ready for it. So yeah, I'm gonna I'll get my tunic out or my toga whatever they're called, and the that era.
Speaker 12: Leave your sword and shield at home, maybe.
Speaker 13: I'll leave myself. I'll bring my grapes. I'm more of a commedist type of role, you know in wartimes, as opposed to a.
Speaker 12: Maximum in front of someone's face.
Speaker 13: I just picture that one robot from Futurama, you know, oh yeah whatever his name was, Yeah, but oh yeah, number rating? Uh ten? Why not?
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, so casually dropped a ten out of ten.
Speaker 13: That's crazy, dropped it like commodists.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I did look it up, and it is a new composer for well, not a new he's he's an aged composer, but he it's someone different from the first one who just has like the funniest career did. He composed the music for Shrek, Spy Kids, Metal Gear, Solid Four, Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Excellent Origins, Wolverine, the Martians. So he's worked at Ridley Scott before we got the Meg we got the Meg two, We've got a house of Gucci. So this guy is just he's everywhere, He's composing no matter what the genre is, he is your guy.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 12: That guy's name is Harry Gregson Williams, So we'll see what kind of music he drums up for the sequel here. Yeah, I had a really good time with this movie. It was a really good discussion to just break down some of these character things, and I think it was it was as you mentioned Kirkland, Like obviously I didn't have the nostalgic view of like loving the fight scenes back in the day, but just seeing like, man, this movie really did have a huge focus on on characters and writing, especially with all the rewrites. It's it's fun to hear that kind of how that came to be. But yeah, really really good time. Really excited for this sequel. I'm gonna drop a point four on this puppy right here.
Speaker 4: Four.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, I am just super super stoked for this sequel. I'm super stoked to just see how the technology is improved on everything we got to dive into with this movie. Because this movie I thought it was fun and getting the lions in there, and getting all the different like chariots and all the fun little things.
Speaker 12: There were tigers, tigers. There's lions in there.
Speaker 13: There's lions and tigers. Everything in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just everything anything with teeth and claws just prants around in there. I I think it's gonna be it's gonna be a wild time. It's gonna be a good time. But yeah, this this movie was It was a lot of fun. It was great, and it definitely it's one that sure as a little kid, I would have just been loving it, and I'm surprised I didn't get around to watching it.
Speaker 11: As a little kid.
Speaker 3: But as an adult it's nice because you can seeing all these movies and again maybe a little foreshadowed good fellas, like again watching these movies now and just being able to have a little bit more worldly experience to a slight degree. I Mean, I'm not a gladiator, but at least I can kind of follow along with the motives of the characters and just kind of see like, Okay, these guys are real jerks and just kind of like fill in the gaps a little bit more as supposed to being a kid and be like, oh yeah, fucking kill them and it's.
Speaker 11: Just like sounding like one of the audience members or something.
Speaker 3: So don't mock me.
Speaker 13: They'll mock me back in the day.
Speaker 11: But yeah, I'm gonna go. I'll probably go a nine out of ten.
Speaker 3: I'm in the middle with between you guys, So I'm excited to rewatch this movie. I'm excited to watch it after I watched the second one and yeah, that does it. So anything else do you guys have?
Speaker 12: Absolutely not?
Speaker 3: Thank you. Okay, Well, we'll see you guys next time. Take care, stay safe.
Speaker 12: See you in the rooms.
Speaker 7: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting your steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime, anywhere with daily bonuses. So sign up now at Chumbuck casino dot com. That's Chumbuck casino dot com.
Speaker 8: Sponsored by chump Casino. No purchase necessary. VGW Group Ford. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 4: Black Friday is coming, and for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Martisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each.
Speaker 5: And out of thirty seconds at the push.
Speaker 10: Of a button.
Speaker 4: And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more. So, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartesian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for ae hundred dollar. Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get one hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday, visit.
Speaker 5: Bartisian dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 4: That's PA r T s I a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 9: Recently, a new client called me and started by saying, mister Morgan, I really need your.
Speaker 10: Help, but I'm just a nobody.
Speaker 9: Those words stunned me and I immediately called him back, and we're now helping him and his family after a terrible accident.
Speaker 10: I'm John Morgan and Morgan and Morgan.
Speaker 9: Everybody who comes to our firm at their time of need is a somebody. I grew up poor, but my grandmother was like a queen to us. At Morgan and Morgan. Our goal is to level the playing field for you and your family at your time of need. The insurance company has unlimited money and resources.
Speaker 10: You need a firm who can fight them toe to toe for right.
Speaker 9: At thirty years, we have fought them in courtrooms throughout America. Our results speak for themselves, and always remember this, everybody.
Speaker 10: Is a somebody and nobody is a nobody.
Speaker 9: Visit for the People dot com to learn about our firm, Morgan and Morgan. For the people injured, Visit for the People dot com for an office near you.
Speaker 15: Ye can get lonely climbing, Mam McKinley. So to entertain myself, I go to Chumma Casino dot com. At chum A Casino, I give lay hundreds of online casino style games for free, like online slots, bingos, Slingo.
Speaker 5: And mar Plus.
Speaker 15: I get a daily login bonus. It's just too bad that I'm here. I don't have anyone to share my excitement within.
Speaker 11: Jump with the.
Speaker 2: Temba life anytime anywhere. Play for free now at chumpacasino dot com. Jwroom no necessary FORID look rehemitive loss he terms of conditions.
Speaker 5: Eating plus Black Friday is coming. And for the adults in your life.
Speaker 4: Who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and out of thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale.
Speaker 5: You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker.
Speaker 4: Bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartisian, at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's and.
Speaker 5: More, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off. Amazing toys aren't just for kids.
Speaker 4: Get a hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday. Visit bartisian dot com slash cocktail. That's b A r T E s i a n dot com slash cocktail