Speaker 1: All right, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Drivetime Monday afternoon, ten minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: It is cloudy and it is cold.
Speaker 2: It is November in Salt Lake City, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride. Spence check, it's beyond the Mike Porter Larsen behind the glass. Happy Monday to you. Hope you had a great weekend. It was a chaotic weekend in the world of college and pro football. That's one of the wildest weekends I've seen in football in quite some time.
Speaker 1: We'll get to all the storylines, of course, both locally and nationally.
Speaker 2: Both BYU and Utah on the football side of things, came back, Can had a chance at the end, but neither was able to get over the line to get it done. And now BYU needs a little help. Now they had everything in front of him, in front of them, and now they're going to need a little help if they want to go to Dallas for the Big twelve championship game. Of course, we will talk about all the storylines pertinent to that, and of course Utah for the first time since I believe twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, somewhere thereabouts will not be going to a bowl game after Look, it was a really fun college football environment, really fun college football game.
Speaker 1: Iowa State's not a bad team. It's a good team.
Speaker 2: They come into Salt Lake City and ride off into the sunset with a thirty one to twenty eight win after a valiant comeback by Utah football with my guy the Ferrari shout out to Luke Patari under center, Where has that been? I know a lot of Youte fans kind of frustrated there, But we'll get to, you.
Speaker 1: Know what kind of what happened over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Then we'll kind of preview what's next coming up on Friday in Orlando, the happiest place on Earth. Spoiler alert, it's not. It's Central Florida. You've just been to Disney World. Utah at this point is a massive underdog. They're a nine point five point underdog that over unders forty seven point five. So, according to Vegas, Utah most likely to end the season with eight straight losses, something that has never happened. It would be the longest losing streak in the history of Utah football. BYU on the other hand, is a thirteen point five point favorite over Houston coming up on Saturday night at Lavelle Edwards Stadium, eight to fifteen.
Speaker 1: Kick.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a cold one, of course, after Thanksgiving, and BYU needs to win and they need help namely either Iowa State or Arizona State to get the l scenes as the kids would say down in Tempe. As Arizona State gets that win twenty eight to twenty three. And BYU has now lost two straight football games after starting the season off at nine to zero. So we'll do a lot of college football on the show today, we'll do some pro football as well. Your NFL Week twelve wraps up tonight with the Ravens and the Chargers at SOFI Stadium in Inglewood, California. Baltimore is a two point five point favorite the over Hunders fifty point five, so Vegas expecting a lot of scoring tonight with some Monday Night football, which, of course, as you know, we are your home with the NFL here in this little market, so you can hear Monday Night football right after we say good night at six here on a ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: I'll be on TV with Dave Fox tonight.
Speaker 2: Two pelotons, two Emmy's at ten thirty five on KMYU.
Speaker 1: We call that five questions was Spence.
Speaker 2: So we are very very busy on the show today, pretty football centric, but we will of course talk and basketball. The Utah Jazz beat the New York Knicks. The Knicks were the second best offense in Pro basketball prior to the game Matt and Ay on Saturday, Walker Kessler rolls back into the lineup after missing six games and played really, really well one twenty one, one oh six. That was potentially the best game I've seen them play all year long. And the next namely Karl Anthony Towns, Jalen Bronson, they could not hit a shot. Michel Bridges couldn't hit it either. They were seventeen to fifty one from three. Jazz went nineteen to thirty four. Lowry had five, Colin had six, Johnny guesseay and came off the bench when four of seven from three. The Jazz really shot it well and in a sneaky way. Their offense has been a little bit better as of late. So we'll get this NBA stuff of course as well on the show today, in addition to our college and pro football content with a good guest list right out of the gates. One of the best to ever do it in both college and pro football. Steve Young, former BYU quarterback, former San Francisco forty nine er quarterback. I played in Steve's charity golf tournament a week ago. He's good enough to agree to join us today, even though my golf game did not reflect that. I deserve it with a bad performance last week. But Steve's gonna hop on the show today. Excited to get to that. Tom Haberstrow NBA Daily Assist. If you're a fan of the show, First of all, thank you, how are you? Second of all, you know Tom. Tom spent a number of years with ESPN, NBC. He now has a column for Yahoo, and he does a lot of work with a Portland Trailblazer broadcast team. We are in the midst of a historically ridiculous season from Nicola Jokic, but not a lot of people are talking about it because he's missing time and Denver is potentially not as good as most people thought. But we're gonna get to some jazz and some NBA with Tom haberstroked it out of Monday afternoon as we are wont to Mondays of the college football season.
Speaker 1: This is the final time we will be able to do it.
Speaker 2: Because Coach Wit addressed the media earlier today, he was asked about his future. He was asked about the future of Camra, Rising said he expects cam to make a decision in a week to ten days about potentially coming back for an eighth year to play for the Utes. So I'll bring that to you guys coming up on this Monday at three thirty. And then Richard Smith and doctor Chris Hill, both of them live in Studios studio today at four o'clock for an entire hour. All three of us are obnoxious Northeast people, so just stay tuned to be annoyed.
Speaker 1: I'd offended for an entire hour.
Speaker 2: We'll do some jazz, we'll do some utes, We'll just have fun with Smitty and doctor Hill, and then we'll launch it unto the five o'clock hour of the program today. So Steve Young, Tom Haberstrow, let's hear from Coach Wit, Richard Smith, Doctor Chris Hill, me Spence check it to all of you the great listeners.
Speaker 1: Happy Monday. Hope you had a great weekend off to a good start to your work. Week.
Speaker 2: Happy Thanksgiving week to you. Hopefully you have some time off. And that young man, his name is Porter Larson on a Monday afternoon, all right, what up? Unleash the ferrari our guy actually showed something and deja vu. Man, they're gonna play Loop coming up on Friday. It's their fifth quarterback.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 2: It's wild. It really is seven straight ls. I do think Saturday night was fun. If you can just kind of hone in on one game in a vacuum, it was a great college football game.
Speaker 1: I'm just.
Speaker 2: I'm stunned that we're sitting here with a football team that's lost seven straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well it is kind of encapsulates Utah season, right the fact that they're down to Luke Patari and now Dalan Engleman for their backup against UCF. And if they were to lose one of those or both of those guys, Kyle said he doesn't really know what they would what they would do probably Wildcat with mcgui Bernard or someone there. The original Wildcat quarterback was kind of brand Keithy. This year, they don't even have him, So, yeah, what Utah would do if if it got even worse, would be it would be an interesting situation, but it does kind of, you know, reflect the season they've had, unfortunately, but it was cool to see Luke, I think, perform well on Senior Night and listen with the way the quarterback position has been played, I'll be honest with you, I would have liked to see some more reps from mister Luke Patari throughout the season, especially when you were wavering, when you weren't sure if Isaac or Brandon Rose was ready to run Andy Ludwigs's offense or maybe make a switch of offensive coordinator mid season. That's tough on a kid who's never ran the system before. Anyway, I think you know, from my perspective, I know hindsight is twenty twenty. I would like to see a little more of Luke Patari, and hopefully we see a little glimpse of that on Friday, the short week, which is always fun.
Speaker 1: Not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: When I was watching my guy for the Ferrari lead Utah on a comeback that nearly got it done, it made me miss the long hair because I'm short.
Speaker 1: Now that you buzzed it hair short.
Speaker 2: I didn't buzz it well, but I had it down. Didn't go Britney spears. I had it down past the shoulders. And you know when I think I told you this couple weeks ago, my friends and I did this thing on our text threat to send the most COVID pick possible.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: And you remember when I had very long haired beard.
Speaker 2: I had the hair past the shoulder and a beard that was just way too long. You could taste your dinner from the night before. That was mine. And it's not a good look.
Speaker 4: It's I don't mind it, but hey, I do want to go back to something. You you you kind of glanced past it very quickly. Your performance at the Steve Young Golf tournament. You got you went, You went real quick by by that certain topic.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that later. Let me just say this, Okay, it was a scramble. It was a four man scramble. And maybe I'll just give Steve some credit. Now, I can't do that because I throw the guys under the bus. He put my brother and I with potentially the two worst golfers in the entire group. And my bro, my brother Nate, is a busy guy, doesn't play a lot of golf.
Speaker 1: I'll just tell you this. We had four birdies. I had three of them.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you didn't play it terrible. I wasn't great and our group wasn't great either. But I'll go into more detail later because we have housekeeping to do.
Speaker 1: Sound good.
Speaker 2: Let's say Steve Young will be our first guest today. But before we get to Steve, courtesy of our friends at Standard Restaurant Supply your tailgate headquarters check them out online or their convenient location in downtown Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: It's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check. It's on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply, thirty five hundred south West Temple.
Speaker 2: All right, So, as we've already discussed a absolute chaotic week of college and pro football, quite frankly, where a lot of teams, both in the Big Twelve and throughout the course of college football.
Speaker 1: Had everything in front of them.
Speaker 2: I don't love the term like control your own destiny, Like how many times have you heard that over the past twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: But certainly Brigham Young in.
Speaker 2: Colorado, which was the game that I was kind of sneaky cheering for. I just think that would be super entertaining to see a local team go up against Dion on such a big stage. Both BYU and Colorado had everything to play, play for and potentially, as they say, control their own destiny, and both just fell flat on their face. Is it possible that Kansas is the best team in the Big Twelve right now?
Speaker 1: Is anybody good? Is anybody bad?
Speaker 2: Nothing makes sense with this flukey conference, man, this hokey conference. Colorado goes to Kansas and they essentially get their doors blown off. They were down big, I think it was seventeen zero. They did mount a comeback because they started force feeding Travis Hunter, who was so insanely good. That kid should and probably will win the Heisman. But Kansas takes that game thirty seven to twenty one, and Colorado is still alive. There are actually eight teams that are technically still alive in the Big Twelve, and of course BYU.
Speaker 1: Was one of them.
Speaker 2: So BYU goes down to Tempe and by the way, let me just say this. My sincere win this holiday season for all of my listeners is that you find something that you're as passionate about as BYU fans are as passionate about calling out the behavior of other fan bases, win or lose man.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: We get videos over the course of like seventy two hours like oh look at this guy.
Speaker 1: Can you believe what this fan did?
Speaker 4: Bad?
Speaker 2: Look for the ASU security probably should have been a little bit more on top of it. And I do want to give the BYU coaches and players a lot of credit for not cole cock in one of those little frat boys that ran up on them and tried to get chesty, like, well done, gentlemen. When I'm watching the ASU fans rush the field not once but twice and trying to hone in on how many of these kids are jumping up in the face as a BYU players and coaches, I'm expecting somebody to get kinda kuid from the Miami Beach Brawl Bowl back in the day, and I'm watching for it. I'm waiting for it, hoping it didn't happen. But the BYU coaches and players showed a tremendous amount of restraints and apparently there was beer.
Speaker 1: Billed on people.
Speaker 2: I mean, this fan base gets beer porn on them wherever they're at, which I always find a little bit odd, like that is the go to how they were wasted their porn.
Speaker 1: Beer on us? Really, like are you sure?
Speaker 2: But anyway, I thought the players and coaches showed tremendous restraint and ultimately you can get mad about the final play all you want. Should it have been intentional grounding on Sam Levitt? By the way, Dallan Levitt released a video on social that appears to show his feelings for the BYU fan base, not coaches and players. And I always talk about the difference between the two on this show, and there is a mighty difference. But Sam Levitt, and by the way, what is Kenny Dillingham doing? I mean, he's obviously a bright, smart coach. He was one of my favorite interviews for a Big twelve media day. But that was like the most cowardly way to finish a game I've ever seen. And yes, the bottom line is just to get the hell out of dodge and get the win and move on. But they had the ball essentially near the goal line, just go score man. He has Sam Levitt run backwards a couple different times, and then Sam throws the ball of bounds. You guys have seen it by now. Essentially that's intentional grounding. It should have been, and I thought one point of emphasis was to call, you know, unsportsmanlike penalties on teams where the fans rush the field way too early, like BYU. To me, probably should have had that ball a little bit closer to the end zone, maybe about the forty yard line. But as it is, you know, Jake rushes out of the pocket on the right side, he heaves it but doesn't get it into the end zone. Chase catches it on like the three yard line, and your game is over. But ultimately it's the start for the second straight week for BYU that you look at. They were down twenty one zero, They had three points in the first half and then just came out gangbusters in the second and really did a great job to come back.
Speaker 1: And I actually thought they.
Speaker 2: Were going to do it again because we've seen it from them so many times. But it does give credence to the people who were a little bit skeptical about annointy in BYU as they started their season off and continue to rack up wins, and there were a lot of fortunate moments, but ultimately I do think this gives some credence to the people that were a little bit skeptical. Now that BYU has lost two straight games. I do think the game they're going to look back on is thirteen points at home against Kansas. ASU is really good and Dylan Ham's done a really, really good job.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Cam Scataboo, as we know, is a really good back. He goes for one forty seven and three touchdowns. And now BYU has to beat Houston coming up on Saturday in Provo, and they have to have either ASU or Iowa stayed to lose. Iowa States at home against k States, and ASU is on the road to finish the season with a rival with Arizona. So we'll see how it goes. We'll get to some Utah football coming up. But coming up next, Steve Young is going to join us efforting they say in the business to get Steve Young on the on the horn A little tied up right now, so we might bump that to a little bit later. Excited to have Richard Smith and doctor Chris Hill live and studio we're gonnaduce Mba with Tom Haberstrow, but as we are wont to do every Monday during the college football season. In case you missed it from earlier, here is the head ball coach for the Utes, coach Wit Short again.
Speaker 6: So disappointing a lot of positive things in that game. Exceptionally pleased with the way the special teams played. It was the best special teams performance of the season. Made some impact plays. Recovering the muffed punt return from the opponent, set the offense up on the seventeen yard line I believe it was, and we blocked a punt for a touchdown, and so some real impact plays that occurred specialties wise. It was good to see because we had not done much of that this year. Luke Pattari that he came in and really provided a spark. Luke, just like last year when he was called upon the Colorado game, I believe it was last game of the season.
Speaker 7: Uh will be the starter of this week.
Speaker 6: Isaac will not be available and so Uh, you know, for a guy that started the season as the fifth string guy and really didn't have a whole lot of of a chance to play, just continued to keep himself ready every single week in case.
Speaker 7: And uh last week was the week that.
Speaker 6: That he got his opportunity and and really did some good things. Came in and and uh really uh you know, provided the spark for us, and so that was that was good to see Luke uh do that. And again he'll get the opportunity this week to be the starter. Uh some other performances, Dandri and Zipper came in and did a nice job. We uh you know, missing a couple three or four two or three receivers and so he uh had his opportunity and uh made the most of it. Had four catches. Uh big catch at the beginning of the game. It was great catch on the deep ball.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: Keith Olsen Uh our right guard again where I said after the Prescott's were down to our fifth, fifth right guard or fifth guard overall. And he came in and really played well. First opportunity to play as a ute and did some good things. So a lot of positives in the game, but again we weren't able to get the win. And now we got to Central Florida on the road Friday, so a little bit of a short week. So today we'll be back on the field and practicing as if it was a Tuesday and proceed through our paces during the week. Central Florida really potent on offense, leading the conference offensively, running the ball exceptionally well, as is the case with any GUS balls on team. You're gonna you're gonna have a strong run game. They're running it for over two to fifty a week and another couple hundred throwing the ball, so just over four to fifty a week of total low. It's going points, good on third down, good in the red zone. So it'll be uh challenge for for our defense this week to to face that, uh, particularly that rushing attack. So questions I got just maybe this spokesperson, Oh yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a two part two party.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 9: It would seem that the old pack called schools not just Utah I have had a difficult time adjusting to the Big Pole Conference. Do you have any thoughts as to why this is also and real in this question? Any thoughts about completing your twenty first year.
Speaker 6: With the university? You, uh, okay, most of my twentieth year. Are you talking about next year?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Next year?
Speaker 6: Okay, uh okay. Let's see first part par Pack twelve. Well, Colorado's having no problem adjusting as there's no State isn't either They're they're both uh seem to be faring very well.
Speaker 7: In fact, I believe.
Speaker 6: There are two of the four teams that still have uh possibilities to play in the championship game if I if.
Speaker 7: I got that right, Uh.
Speaker 6: Okay, Uh, then there's us who obviously is are have our own struggles. Who am I missing?
Speaker 7: Who else?
Speaker 6: Arizona Arizona is pretty much where we are. I guess in the in the in the uh for the year and so don't have a good answer for it. Uh football cyclical in in a lot of ways, and and uh you just got to do the best you can. But but I know that, like I said, those two Colorado and Arizona State are seemingly making a very strong transition.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: Second part my twenty first year, I'll I uh will you know obviously evaluate after the season's over see what see what the situation is. But my decision we made on what's best for the program, that what's best for me. So it'll be completely determined on how I feel, uh this program is best served going forward. And uh so yeah, that's where that is kay.
Speaker 11: I'll kind of piggybacking off of that decision. You know, you have an offensive coordinator higher that you have to make you a transfer classt. I'm sure you're thinking about will you make that decision after all of those moves are done?
Speaker 7: Can't tell you for sure.
Speaker 6: You know, it's just uh, like I said, after the final game's finished Friday, you know, four days from now, five days from now, UH sit down and and uh evaluate everything. I can tell you right now that coach Scaley will be involved in decisions going forward because it's it's the only right that he he uh does that because he's uh the coaching waiting and and when that time comes, you know, we need to make sure that uh you know he's had uh input on on big decisions and so uh it'll be a team effort in that respect going forward.
Speaker 7: As far as hiring and recruiting and that type of thing.
Speaker 8: Do you have in the quarterback situation, you will uh how much of my priority is that you get a start a literal quarterback.
Speaker 9: On a ton?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, we gotta we gotta solve our quarterback problems. I can tell you that, and that that has been you know a uh difficult thing this year, and we're now on our fifth QB and uh we got one left after that. We have six to twelve in the program. So so Dallan Ingerman, we'll be backing up uh Luke Matari in this game. And uh that's all she wrote after those two. Uh, I don't have a good answer, so we hope it doesn't come to beyond that. But but quarterback, as I said over and over, the most important position in football, in team sports, period and you better be uh good there if you wanna have a chance to win. So we've got to evaluate. Just like I've got to evaluate my situation, we've got to evaluate the quarterback situation and to make sure we have ourselves covered for next year. I guess that's the best answer I.
Speaker 7: Can give PK.
Speaker 8: Well, I be right.
Speaker 7: For spootball, Yes, we think that is gonna be the case.
Speaker 6: Uh there's still a few more evaluations that need to take place, but but it's looking like uh spring ball is in play.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then the transfers, obviously they've already been through the recruiting process.
Speaker 12: I'm wondering where do they place this priority as far as inn al.
Speaker 7: Uh incoming portal transfers for us. UH.
Speaker 6: Top well, the top priority is is uh being able to uh retain your own roster and and the you know, the players on your roster that are particularly.
Speaker 7: The key guys.
Speaker 6: And then uh you'll also have uh key roles that need to be filled uh through the portal via the portal, and so that will be uh right there at the at the top of the list. And so we've already begun the process of of having conversations with our own players and making sure that we got uh, you know, everything in order there and uh then we move on to the next phase, which is which is the portal. And then of course you're incoming freshmen but will be uh involved in that as well. But portal will be a priority for us. We're gonna I I foresee being ten to fifteen players from the portal, uh roughly, and uh you know that could change by a guy or two. But that's about the projection.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: Last year you said was the worst for injuries, where a part of it, uh this year worse?
Speaker 7: And is there anything that can be done to avoid.
Speaker 8: Somebody in that?
Speaker 6: Well, UH, that's a good question. Which one is worse is they're both both been uh challenging. Uh we did make a lot of adjustments in our m fall camp and uh a ramp up to the season, which did pay dividends. We had, like I said, way back when, seventy percent fewer soft tissue injuries. But uh, the injuries that we're incurring now, I don't know. I don't know if you can do anything about that through train and uh all that stuff. But but uh, we certainly made a huge step forward in the uh soft tissue, which last year was was a problem uh big time. And so I'm not a a doctor or a physical therapist, but but uh, we feel like we're doing everything we can. We have a great strength program that our guys get bigger and stronger, and it's just uh, I I really have no great answer other than we looked at it from every angle this year, and we'll do it again uh after the season, and try to continue to make uh progress of that regard.
Speaker 12: And then not nily got on a specific game, But how soon is it for how important is it for you to make a decision as soon as possible for recruits and players?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 6: Well, with the coach of waiting in place, we all we already have that discussion with recruits that when that time comes, here's what the plan is. And and so it's not like, uh, you know, the recruits and our own guys don't know what the succession plan is. And so that that takes some of the edge off it. And uh, it would be a whole different if we didn't have that plan in place, because then if I you know, when that time comes, it would be anybody's guests, you know what's gonna happen and who's it gonna be. But they know exactly what the what the plan is. And that that again was the real reason for laying down that plan several months ago when when it was announced.
Speaker 11: So many coaches, I mean Nick Saban, Virginias men's basketball coach recently, they've all sort of not been driven out of the game, but it played a factor. Nil played a factor, and their decision, you know, the game wasn't what it was for them, you know twenty years some ago whenever they became head coach.
Speaker 1: Does that impact.
Speaker 7: Your decision at all?
Speaker 11: The way the game's changed and evolved.
Speaker 6: I think everything reacts that decision. And uh, in il is certainly the biggest game changer of them all with the portal, they're kind of linked together in a way, and and players just the challenge of so much turnover in your roster and and uh, the you know you're playing for the love of the game now is that's kind of a thing of the past. I mean, there are obviously there's players that love football and and would play if there wasn't an il. I mean it's it's not I'm not saying that, but but that seems to have taken a back seat to uh as far as their decision making.
Speaker 7: Anyway, where am I going to play?
Speaker 6: It's you know, who's got the the best financial opportunity, and I guess you you know, you can't blame them. And this is life changing money for a lot of these guys that their families, uh and everybody will benefit from. And so even you know it's here to stay. If you don't like it, get out because it's not gonna change. It's so adapt or go a different directions.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 1: Cam was, you know, on the sideline for the first time in.
Speaker 7: A while in a boot.
Speaker 11: You know what, I guess have you picked up on in terms of his decision and how early or soon do you expect him to make a decision on his future?
Speaker 6: You know, I talked to Cam after the game Saturday, and we're gonna visit this week and and catch up and and uh touch on that as well.
Speaker 7: You know what what his plans are.
Speaker 6: And we Uh, I have no inside scoop or anything right now as to what he's thinking. He's just, you know, haven't I just try to give him some space and let him sort things out and decide, uh which direction he wants to go, and so have a better answer after this week.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 6: But again that's on time Cam's timeline, and obviously we've got to you know, at some point, uh, you know'll make our own decisions on what what's gonna happen if we if they're still in decisiveness. But but I think that should be cleared up, uh in the next week to ten days.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Has it heard when he was taken to the ground or was here on the ground when he.
Speaker 7: Was I think it was the the rollover, yeah, I think.
Speaker 14: But he was already down on the ground and the player.
Speaker 6: You're talking to the wrong guy about referees and penalties and what's going on there.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: I just don't.
Speaker 6: I I don't even wanna get into it. But uh no, the initial tackle was not what uh caused. It was the the finish of the tackle or what do you wanna whatever, however you wanna turn it, and uh, yeah, that's.
Speaker 7: What it was.
Speaker 4: So Biggie back him up.
Speaker 14: Of Cam's future, there's are there are a couple other guys who have been out for the season with injuries, mainly Candid Dons and.
Speaker 15: Leimani to Mooney, have.
Speaker 8: You heard anything from the two of them recording their future?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they both would like to come back.
Speaker 6: Uh as of our recent most recent conversations of that again is just like everything is subject to change. But uh, Levanni has been rehabbing and and uh doing very well and and if he decides to come back, he'll be ready to roll in January with off season conditioning and and jump right into it.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: Cannon's a different story. He was very significant injury and and uh uh doctors you know, I've heard uh some opinions that uh maybe all the way up until fall camp before he'd be ready to try, and maybe no, not even quite at the beginning of fall camps. So that's a lot more extensive and a lot more to it than Levannie, but they both have indicated that they would love to come back to for another year, at least as of our last conversation, which has been been a while with those two guys.
Speaker 15: Following up on sort of the the change in in college of football, it seems like you have a lot of buying still on the defensive side of the ball, and that's probably in credit to Morgan skying that staff and the personable you know, personalities. How much more important is it for your culture to the way you build your culture to come from coaches rather than players just given them kind of the the way that the players have.
Speaker 7: That pretty leave.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we do have good, uh culture in buying on deep, but I feel like we have it on all as well.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's a a division there.
Speaker 6: I think that, uh, we we're in pretty good shape overall in that regard. But the coaches, you know, it's constant teaching, just indoctrinating new guys to our culture and how we do things, and and more so than before, cause like I said, the numbers are what they are. You don't have eighty percent of your team returning teaching twenty percent. You got just over half of your team returning teaching just under half of the of the new guys, and so, uh, coaches need.
Speaker 7: To jump in and be a big part of that.
Speaker 6: And uh it's more so uh than ever and uh, I'm sure it'll continue to be.
Speaker 7: Exactly that way. That's how it is, Kyle.
Speaker 11: The beginning of the season, you said you had more energy than you think you might have had at any point.
Speaker 8: In your career.
Speaker 11: The way the season has gone, where do you kind of gauge where your energy's at looking forward? And and kind of in the belief of your energy, do you feel like if you were to come back next year that you would still have a chance to maybe go out on top or or go out on a winning season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, like I said, Uh, it's what's best for the program will be dictated, well, my s my decision will be dictator based on and uh uh you know, to time it just right so you go out at just the right time. I mean that they're very very small percentage of of people we are ever able to do that. And so again I'm not I'm not saying, well, this was a bad year, so for me, I gotta come back and have a better year.
Speaker 7: I mean everyone wants to have a.
Speaker 6: Better year and next year, regardless of who the coach is and and uh, like I said, it's just a a an evaluation process from me and my family to decide, uh, you know what's best and and uh again, I just continue to emphasise put the program first, and whatever the program, you know what, what puts the program in the best situation, that's the decision I'll make. As far as energy, I feel great. I mean I don't have any That's all I can beat down. The season has been a beat down mentally, but uh physically and and uh just day to day, I got plenty of plenty of gas left in the tank, right.
Speaker 7: Could you always value uh those extra practices?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: For a bowl?
Speaker 7: Again, how much is therespeking for the other guys?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a it's a downer, uh, particularly for the younger guys, but not as much as before cause we'll have half a new team next year and so they won't be here anyway to benefit from those practices. So it's nowhere near as uh impactful or beneficial as it has been, but it still is. I don't wanna downplay it because it's it's better than you know that half your guys get get more opportunity than and uh, you know, we think outgoing seniors it might even be more than half, but but uh or less than half that would benefit but but uh, we don't have it, so you know, there's nothing we can do about that, and just kind of you know, jump into the uh off season strength program sooner because of no bowl game and and uh you know, and pretty soon I believe you won't have spring ball either. I think that's gonna be a thing in the past within not too long of a timeframe. And so but that'll be our next opportunity to uh to work them on the field.
Speaker 7: Did you say that? Was it?
Speaker 8: Dang?
Speaker 7: Dang? Okay, all right, guys, thank you.
Speaker 2: Richard Smith and doctor Chris Hill live in studio, former athletic director at the University of Utah. So we'll do a little jazz basketball coming up at about four o'clock.
Speaker 1: From right now.
Speaker 2: Now, keep in mind tonight is the Craig Smith Coaches Show, and then after you hear from Ryles and Craig, we will send you over to Monday Night Football, which should be a good one. It's the hardball bull So stay tuned for that. We are your home of the NFL in this conference, or excuse me, in this market.
Speaker 1: We are efforting. Steve Young coming up here in just a little bit.
Speaker 2: We're gonna bring in Tom Haberstrow as well to do a little NBA.
Speaker 1: The Utah Jazz got a good win.
Speaker 2: They're playing a little bit better offensively, they've been a lot better. We're gonna bring in Tom to kind of unpack some reasons as to why the Jazz played the Spurs again tomorrow. Am I the only one that's like, how many times did the Jazz played the Spurs? Seems like every time they have a game, it's against the Spur. But the NBA Cup has thrown a little bit of a ranch in those plans. So Jazz got a good win against the Knicks on Saturday here in Salt Lake. He may have been the best game I've seen them play all year. They're four and twelve, they're two and five at home, They're no longer last in the West. I have to wonder ultimately what this season is going to look like. So we'll get to some Jazz hoops coming up in just a little bit. But excited for This does not happen often because he's very busy. I had a chance to go play in his charity golf tournament. It was a first class event, one of the best to ever do it, both in college and pro football. Steve Young kind enough to join us on a Monday. Steve, Happy Monday, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you you two?
Speaker 8: Spence great to have you last week. And your brother Nate and Roan is a r h O. And you got to get that out there because he's built a business that's amazing. It's I don't wear the suits all stretch so for church that's all I wear. I don't wear anything else. Never again will I wear anything other than stretch suits. Man, I'm not missing around.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I'm currently wearing round. I wear it every single day. And I'm certainly proud of my little brother man. He's he's certainly built a great company. Unfortunately, Steve, he doesn't have a lot of time to play golf, as you saw from the scorecard.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's okay, none of us do so fine. It's fun. Yeah, it's good to be together. Good Danny Ings came down and I love you know. Danny was the one that I watched when I was a freshman, just killing it at BYU and gave me the idea that you could be great at something. And I remember I was the equipment manager. Fret Floyd Johnson at the time had me come in and do the visiting team towels, so that after the game, I and during the game I would give them towels and then I would clean up the you know kind of the shower and everything. After that, those guys left on the bus and that was my job. And I got to sit on the visiting bench to watch Danny Ainge in that team in nineteen eighty dominate. And so anyway, he came down and joined me for the tournament last week, as you saw, and I love seeing him.
Speaker 2: And I remember playing basketball on lacrosse against your little brother. I hadn't seen Jimmy in a long time. So it was just great to be with everybody. And I can't thank you enough for having us out, Steve.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: By the way, Jimbo, Jimbo played lacrosse. He was he loved player defense, a long stick, and I go, Jimbo, what if lacrosse it looks like to me? You just hack at people, Just take the stick and just wrap. What kind of game is this?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 8: It was fun to watch that.
Speaker 7: That was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most defensive players that's all they do is hacket people.
Speaker 1: You would have been a.
Speaker 8: Great lacrosse player, Hey, Spence's like anyone in defense on look, defense is all about just leon want to screw you up saving football, you know, I mean, how can you play defensive football? What's my job? Just to screw everything up? I just want to screw up. I just want to I want to mess everything up. Like what kind of world is that to live in? I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I hear you, Steve.
Speaker 2: So I want to start with just a Macro overview question about the season, bringing me young his hat after Vegas set the over under at four and a half and the media picked them to essentially finish last. And yes they've lost too straight, but if they win on Saturday, that's a ten win season, which is nothing to shake your head at at all. What do you most attribute what most people believe is a very surprising season from BYU football this year?
Speaker 8: Number One, I think Jay Hills built a defense, especially the first three quarters of the season, and all of us are wondering kind of here at the end, what's gone you know, not gone wrong, because, like you said, the expectations, but we just have to let's deal with the Big twelve championship every year and let's just be that right. And so if we say to ourselves, how did we get here? We got here on the first five games on a defense that was not going to let the game get away from us, and because it didn't get away from us. And I really appreciate Jake let Retsloff and his work that he did in the offseason to change his game. He got better and when he showed up in the fall, he was a better player than he was the year before. And I just admire that because so much of that is the grinding work of the school work of going in the film memorization, it's the stuff that is boring and tedious, and I appreciated that. So that allowed Jake to come out and learn and have some space in those early games, and they can They didn't. He didn't do anything crazy bad. He just took some time to grow, and the offense grew with him, and all of a sudden, these stars showed up all over the field, uh, and to me, that's how it happened. And then we just we won some coast ball games and kind of got some momentum. And I think just here when we got to six in the nation and everyone we watched all week at ESPN when when they were doing the show and also beat while using the top four and getting them by and maybe Ohio State comes to you know, to us, and you know, it just was it was heavy, heady things that we had not had the privilege of being around for a long long time. And to be there and if to taste it was amazing and we got to get used to it. And I think the last two games particularly are ones that we I don't know that we were ready ready yet like we have to we have to well you have to wear the shoes. You got to be in those games and know what's at stake and know and and you know, deal with the build up and and it's just an emotional sophistication you get over time that we need to just be, you know, we need to kind of grow into. So that's my kind of sense of the season. I couldn't be I'm ecstatic at what we got out of the season. There's no question what we can still get out of the season. But if we're you know, I just pray that we get a shot at the championship because if we can be unleashed again emotionally and kind of stand in the shoes that we were in the middle of the season, I think, as I said then, when I remember when Fox came to town for the Arizona game, we can we can stay with anybody, but we have to we have to we have to, you know, be comfortable in the shoes that we're wearing the time. So I know it's a bad analogy, but you get the idea.
Speaker 2: No, I get the idea, And I actually wanted to follow up there because it's different when you are not expected to do much of anything and you just catch everybody off guard. But ultimately they were at nine to zero with everything in front of them, the old cliche that I don't like controlling their own destiny. So what's the type of mentality and the approach that you have to take once you go from nobody expected us to be here too, We're at the top of the mountain and all we need to do is handle our business. Because they have not been unable to do that. Steve in the past two games, like, what's the change in mindset once you get into that space.
Speaker 8: It's human nature when you you know, as I said, we need to start every season with we're going to go to the Big twelve championship and that is it's make or break, and we're going to recruit that way. We're gonna play that way, we're gonna call we're gonna call defensive offense that way, and that's where we have to live and we have to have that expectation, the idea that we thought we'd be four than hour. They're like, what's amazing. I mean, we thought we'd be fourteenth and then we'd I'm not much for that, Like we need to have we're going to be in the Big twelve. If we're going to compete, let's go do it. And I love what basketball has done and what football is going to do and what is what they're doing today. So in the last couple of games you could tell that emotionally again I felt it. It was funny, like you know, as you're watching again watching ESPN and you're watching the the they described you know, the playoffs, who who's seed and what it was going to be and it's just really really heavy stuff. And so I think when you're not used to it, which how can you be used to it? We've never been there, and even when we won the national championship in nineteen eighty four, it wasn't the same kind of situation, and so this is just a we're in a new spot and it's really cool, it's fun, it's like exciting. But human nature is when you get those huge expectations you're not used to it, you tend to retract, you know, you tend to to you know, kind of be careful and because you don't want to lose it, you know, like, oh my gosh, I have a shot here. This is amazing. Let's not blow it. And it's just natural when you're not when you haven't done it very much, that you don't get as you're as expansive as you were when you're inhabiting to lose, and all of a sudden you have lots to lose and it gets hard. And so the way I would get through it, which is a hope in what I was hoping for last week, is that after getting you know, kicked in the teeth in Canada at home against Kansas that we would say, Okay, enough of that, let's fake it till we make it, Like let's just we're not gonna do it this way, let's let it rip. And I think in the second half last week we did and we almost pulled it off, but because we started slow, and I guess we have to have to go through it, or you know, the school has to go through it, fans have to go through it, the coaches have to go through it, the players especially have to go through and so we'll build those muscles. And that's what the season is amazing about. But I don't want any right now. I don't want any talk about, oh, what a great well, it doesn't matter we had a great season. Oh Like, no, we are here, own it. Jump in like, don't give an inch, and like we just pray that somebody lose this week so we can get to that championship game and and build the muscles that we're gonna need for the next twenty five years. Like this is not going away. We don't want it to go away. And so I just can't stand when we settle when things have gone so well, like, no, this is how we got this is us every year, So nothing, nothing, but so I just I want to make sure that people kind of hold on.
Speaker 2: That one of the best to ever do with Steve Young is our guest. On a Monday, Stevie referenced the improved play of Jake and I want to dig into it because I love talking to quarterbacks about other quarterbacks. And last year zero to four as a starter and just way too many mistakes, and unfortunately that interception down the stretch against ASU was costly. But he's been so much better than he was a year ago, and I think so much better than most.
Speaker 1: People thought he could be.
Speaker 2: Probably people even down there, what do you attribute most his overall improvement to and how good can he be moving forward next season?
Speaker 8: One of his best qualities is I called him a swashbuckler. You know, it's like the I'm not sure what that actually means, but in the image of my mind is somebody who gets back and it's going to at the ball's coming out, and it's going to be aggressive and and so I like that about him. But the problem is it was unreally and wild and reckless. And so the only way to take what is a good quality and hone it so that it becomes something profitable is to own the data you have to Your brain has to be able to have reflexive recall of coverage and and and have instinct instinctive sense of when safeties are rotated, where does that mean? I'm where's when weaknesses? Where are people going to be? That's the one thing about defensive football, as sooner or later they'll tell you what's happening. But if you've got to pay attention the you have to be able to own the data to get there. You have to be able to come out of the huddle not be thinking about the play, not be thinking about motion that should be instinctive, not thinking about blitz, not thinking about you know, you know, tendency. It's like I got all that, it's in my mind. It's reflective. Now I can really just hone in on safeties, follow them, and that'll tell me the truth of what this defense is doing. And then I'm not throwing it into people's chest. I have I'm ahead of it. So even when there's little, you know, little nuanced things that happen where receivers adjust or whether I have to move in the pocket, your brain is now processing something that you can actually it's not wild. It's like set and that's where every quarterback's trying to get. And so that's why Meyer Jake's work to really start to hone that in is He's there all the way obviously not, but I want to tell him that I know how hard that was, and he has gotten significantly better, and I hope this week that he is. I know you got to school, and no, you don't have to go to school this week, do you. So he should be studying eight hours a day to try to make sure that he has that reflective recall, so that against Houston everything, I'm ahead of the data. There's nothing that happens that shocks me. I still might make a choice to take a risk. I still might make you know, someone might knock the ball out of my hand. I still might try to I might make an athletic move that costs me where you know, I fumble or the ball slips out of my hand. There's things that physically can happen, but my mind will always be ahead of every play. And if that's the case, you're going to play great football.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you a question about Killotti.
Speaker 2: When Klotti was up here as the decordinator, we did a coach the show every week, and I you know, he became, you know, a real fan, not just of him as a football coach, but of him as a person. I'm not sure how you can not be a fan of Kilani. And there was this really cool video going around social media Steve of Kilani in twenty seventeen after the East Carolina loss, which was their seventh straight, showing up to do his coaches show on BYU TV and then seeing all of his family, you know, kind of fill in and the players and their families fill in to kind of fill the area to show their support because there was a lot of heat around him, and Kilane started crying when he saw the support. And so I've always pulled for him because I want him to stay employed and do well and all of our Utah guys, you know, a rod, et cetera. What sort of questions do you think Kilani has answered as far as the way he's been able to figure out this new reality of college football with a really solid season no matter how it ends.
Speaker 8: Kilanie's a great He's an inspiration. You want to play for him, you want to win for He'll stand there, He'll take it, you know, he's accountable. He he he, he's willing to risk it for you, like he makes you feel like like you know, he's got my back and and no matter what happens. And and I love that about him. And he's you know, he's trying to kind of channel de Vell Edwards in his in his heart and he talks about it a lot. And I see that. I see the ability to see other people in their potential and kind of inspire them to be better. That that's his best quality now. And I think defense, he has instincts for defense. And I think when he jumps in and really helps there, it matters. And with Jay, I think that he's got somebody there that is, you know, top line recruiter. That's number I mean, it's not normal one, but j Hill is a number one recruiter. Like he's very good. And we're getting We're not are requires a long answer, but back to Colonney, but we we sometimes we can be petty at times, we can be a little institutionally lazy a little bit where we you know, if you don't want to be here, maybe this isn't the right place for you. We got to, you know, and I think we're changing we're getting so that we'll we'll compete against anything if it will. If we lose to Georgia, if we lose to Utah, we lose the USC that's okay. We're we're going to be in the mix, and we're gonna get in the mix more and more. And so j Hill I think is the help that Chronic can get on defense. And then a Rod I think he's got people around him that can go do those things that to alleviate the stress so that he doesn't have to do too much. And uh, and I think on the offensive side, we've got to be better recruiters. We've got to be able to attract, you know, we have, you know, four or five great quarterbacks and then pick and we've got to, uh, you know, do the do the outreach. We've got to do the day to day. We've got to do the blocking and tackling. We've got to do the the all the stuff that's gonna help Kilane be able to put the team on the field. Because everybody in the country, I mean, Lewis Ritick is a good friend of mine. He does ESPN college games. I did Monday Night Cayle count Down with him for a couple of years. I love Lewis. Lewis is a smart, dynamic human being, and when he came out to b YU, he had thought about what BYU is going to be and he left like inspired, and so much it was about Kilanie and about Tom's athletic program and the and the sense of inclusion that they've built and the way that Klannie coaches, the way he teaches, and the way that he's authentic day to day, and so all of that is so vital about diversity and all the other issues. Lewis Ritick left, He's like, man, be what you and Colanie like, I'm in And I think that that's the way the country's starting to understand. And that's why he's so important to us. We need Colannie, We need him to be all of who he is and uh and then also look for the help for the things that he you know, that that that you know he can't do everything, and so I think he's finding that balance. And so I love what you said about twenty seventeen. I'll rally. I mean, if Connie's in trouble, I'm going to show up. I'll be there, you know what I mean. I want to rally around Koloney and that's the kind of guy he is, and so like you can, my sense of it is is that we're in the Big twelve. Let's act it, let's be it, let's be all about it. And this is not a this should not be a surprise, and Clonie's not surprised. Let's go do it every year.
Speaker 2: Steve, before I said you lose, I would be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to ask you about your I don't think i've ever heard you speak on this, your opinion on what college football has become and what do you think it will eventually become when the dust actually finally settles and there's no more chaotic alignment. I mean, you know, obviously nil transfer portal.
Speaker 1: I am for these players getting paid.
Speaker 2: I mean, ultimately, they have always been the product and a business was built on their backs and they didn't get a piece of it. So I'm fine with it. But a lot of people aren't necessarily down now. It hasn't affected ratings, it hasn't affected attendance. But what's the Steve Young take on the average angel landscape of college football and what do you think comes next?
Speaker 8: Well, look, equity value in sports is just growing exponentially. It's nuts. The NFL equity values in that's the value of the of the of the team, like if they had if they have stock. Is like, this is the value of the team for the San Francisco forty nine ers. Let's say in two thousand, it was three hundred million dollars, four hundred million dollars. In twenty twenty four, it might be twelve billion dollars. Like, it's insane. And so college football has equity value, and that's what everyone's trying to grab, right, everyone's trying and the players college kids were trying to speak to the NCAA for years. Look, it's this money is just growing exponentially, and we're the ones on the field, and we're the ones that are like have injuries and don't but we're not graduating, we're not we're not insurance, and we're like, this is crazy. And so the NCAA basically just closed their ears forever and it got burned because then it went to the judiciary and and just juditsuary said, look, these guys, it's not fair. And so now it became the Wild West. Now this year, as you know, Spence coming in twenty five is the twenty million dollars. It's like there's money that's gonna come now from the school. It's going to be a portion of the proceeds. It's gonna be revenue sharing, which is smart, Like it starts to stabilize what is insane right now and the NIL and the wild West, and then the schools are you know some schools are they're in charge of the NIL when they're not supposed to, and it's like the whole thing is is such a mess. So that will bring some stability, and unfortunately that stability will bring stability to the conference shifts that have happened. Like there's something like Stanford's going I mean they go play you know, Duke and North Carolina State like it's they go to Rutgers like it's crazy, Like UCLA going to Penn State. Like it doesn't long term, it can't. It's not sustainable. But for a little while, that revenue sharing from colleges and from a kind of sharing the equity value to the players in a form of payments is going to stabilize things for a little while, but it's not it's not over time sustainable. You've got to figure that whatever the Pac twelve was will come back at some point. It just makes too much geographic sense. You've got to figure that somehow. But the Big twelve and the Big ten other than the West Coast teams are set, I think for some time. That sec set for some time. And look, there's a good friend of mine's kid who was highly recruited and he's getting paid a quarter million dollars a year as a you know, as a kid in college. And so that's the reality now. So that's those are that brings with it all kinds of complications and and and and challenges at a younger age. Well, it was always a challenge for pro players at twenty two twenty three being the first ones in your in your family history to have any kind of wealth. What does that mean for the family in general? For you? How do you deal with it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 8: You're asking eighteen year olds, sixteen year olds as they pay, try to pay kids that are still in high school and go around like signing deals and you know, card deals, and you know, so you got a kid who's a sophomore, who's a highly recruited kid, and now he's you know, he's collecting one hundred thousand dollars a year on hundred fifty thousand dollars as a fifteen year old, and the pressure that puts on him the family. These are all complications that are not going away, and we have no answer for it right now.
Speaker 2: Well, Steve, thanks so much for the time and now busy you are and it was a pleasure seeing you last week. I really appreciate the invite, so have a great Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: All the blessings and love to you and your family, and you're welcome to come on the show any time.
Speaker 1: Steve, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 8: Spets you know. It's like you don't have me a reoffense, so I got to let it all out once. I apologize for that. You can tell it's a therapy session for me because my wife doesn't care, my kids don't care. I only have one place to tell it. So I got to tell you everything I feel. Now you have it, and good luck to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: My friend there he is the great Steve Young, one of the best to ever do it, both in college and pro football. You can find more information about his charity at Forever Young dot org. That's who we were kind of supporting last week at his charity golf tournament in Scottsdale. We got Richard Smith and doctor Chrisill live in studio coming up during the four o'clock hour of the program tonight, so that'll be fun. Special Thanks to Steve Young for hopping on the show today. Special thanks to our next guest as we go from one goat to the next goat for being a little bit adjustable today and versatile today. Tom habershow for some NBA basketball on a Monday, Tom, Happy Monday, man.
Speaker 1: How are we doing doing great?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm good. So we'll do a little jazz here.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna do We're not gonna do a ton of jazz because I think we all kind of know what time it is, we all kind of know what the deal is. But I'll say this, over the past seven or eight games, at least offensively, they don't guard anybody, they just don't.
Speaker 1: But offensively they've been a lot better.
Speaker 2: And I thought that went over the Knicks on Saturday here in Salt Lake was probably the best game I've seen him play all year long. But what are your thoughts on and if you have anything specific about the past seven or eight games, Why is the offense look so much better?
Speaker 13: To think, Well, first of all, marketing helps.
Speaker 10: That guy is really good, and.
Speaker 13: Of course really good against the Knicks too. But I think another thing that you have to really pay attention to is the shot selection is very modern NBA. We've got a head coach and Will Hardy, who is as astute as it is when it comes to what is the best way to win in today's NBA. And what I mean by that is the Utah Jazz are the leaders in one category offensively that probably is a little under the radar, but I just wrote about this at Yahoo Sports. There are these things that I'll coin as shot desert games. These are games in which teams do not make a single shot in the mid range. They don't take a single shot, make a single shot, they don't score in the mid range. They just abandon it. And while it is for us who grew up in the nineties, it is kind of sad to see how.
Speaker 10: The mid range game is dead, but it is the.
Speaker 13: Smart way to play, just in the same way that in baseball the smart way to play is to try to hit it over the fence and get walks, and it might not be appealing from a product standpoint, it is what the math tells us to do, and what the math tells NBA teams to do is what the Boston Celtics did last season is bomb away from three and attack the rim and go for rim attacks.
Speaker 8: And the Jazz lead the.
Speaker 13: League in most games in which they don't score from the mid range. And normally might say that's a bad thing. Well know, the mid range game is kind of a dead zone. You don't get fouled, it's a low percentage shot, and there's only a few players that it makes sense to be living in the mid range, whether it's Chris Paul or jamar Derozen Jazz continually do this, and even you know, in Saturday's game against the Knicks, they scored one hundred and twenty one points and only one basket was in the mid range. And they have more shot desert games than any other team. It's four to this point in the season, and this number is exploding league wide. You know, we didn't even have a single team a decade ago with any of these games, and now we're on pace for about one hundred and fifty desert games where they don't score from the mid range for the entire game, and so we're almost double what we're you know, we're pacing at almost double the rate at what we normally see over the last couple of years. And there's a real inflection point we're seeing in the NBA where team smart offenses, even if they're not being able to make all the shots from downtown. You know, it's it's not every night that you see the Jazz shoot. You know, what was it seventeen nineteen to thirty four, fifty six percent from downtown.
Speaker 10: But this is kind of by.
Speaker 13: Design, is that they have made the team buy into this, you know, threes and rim shots, you know, attacking the basket and not worrying so much about the mid range, try to get to the free throw line, try to take threes, and so far, I think that shot profile is really helping them slim the talent gap. And you saw it on Saturday night, just how how good they look when the three ball is falling. But it's not a matter of being lucky. This is a team that is designed that way and the offense is designed that way, and I think it's really smart, even if it's a little sad for us watching and growing up watching Michael Jordan. This is the way to win in today's NBA, and they're doing an excellent job of it.
Speaker 1: So do you think the league will look?
Speaker 2: Because I read your piece and that's kind of why I asked you the question to lead you into that answer so you could explain it to our listeners, because you unpacked it better than I could. But the fact of the matter is, you know, you and I will watch NBA basketball, but a lot of people aren't. The ratings are suffering. I don't know if it's the product. I continue to believe until stars show up every single night, you know, unless we got to say it, unless they're hurt, I know.
Speaker 1: But you can't argue with the numbers.
Speaker 2: And yes, they can throw their P and L statement at me and say where's the problem?
Speaker 1: I say, Okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: But do you think the decline in NBA ratings is as because nobody wants to just watch a team, you know, shoot sixty plus threes. Nobody wants to, you know, watch a three point shooting shooting contest unless it's during All Star weekend, And as numbers tell us, people don't really like to watch that either. Does the league have a problem with this style of play that you outline in your piece.
Speaker 1: Do you think they look to do something about it.
Speaker 13: I think they're always looking to do something about it. I mean, this is this is the same league office.
Speaker 8: That introduced the in season.
Speaker 13: Tournament, the play in Tournament, as well as the elam Ending and the All Star, the NBA Draft for the All Star. They're trying to figure out ways to augment or gimmick or gamify the season. And I don't think that they're you know, the shot selection is off the table in terms of how do we adjustice to make it more appealing for the audiences. And I think, you know, Nick Right, the kind of the reason why I did that story was Nick Right went on his podcast. You know, it wasn't on Fox Sports one, but it was on his podcast that it went viral where he was like, the India has as a as an entertainment problem is that it's not as entertaining as it used to be and a lot of that is because of all the threes. And he suggested the idea of making dunks worth three points.
Speaker 8: That was one of his proposals.
Speaker 13: And I think it gets at something that I think we do need to consider is should we make the mid range alive again and make more shot diversity where it doesn't feel like it's just threes and rim attacks every every time down the floor. My suggestion is this two three four system where you shorten the three point line to about fifteen feet to bring back the mid range, and then you extend the current three point line to a four point line at about thirty five or forty feet. You make it far enough that it's a real challenge for NBA players to hit it, so it's not just gonna be a bunch of dudes pulling up from half court every time. But you also want players to want to go to the rim, to want to shoot from twenty feet and want to shoot from forty feet, if it makes sense, And so I think that proposal is one of my favorites that I've heard. There's also, and I talk about this in the piece, the idea of do we get rid of the corner three so that you don't have two guys standing in the corners and then getting a short, shorter shot because the NBA dimensions make it such that the corner three is about a foot shorter than a normal three, and so there's an advantage there.
Speaker 10: Get rid of that advantage and you won't see as.
Speaker 13: Many three There's another idea that I've heard is capping the number of three pointers that you make or take sorry to about twenty per quarter, So basically you have like or sorry, twenty per game, so you have basically twenty three pointers to play around with, and then after that any three pointers worth two points. All those ideas are getting to the same trying to solve the same problem, which is it feels like the NBA is all about threes and all about rim attacks and some of the creativity and ingenuity and spontaneity of the NBA that might have been around in the eighties and nineties that might be overstated. How you know, the x's and o's were amazing, and the game was amazing because of this, a lot of those games were just they were.
Speaker 8: It was wrestling, it was.
Speaker 13: A different sport. It was not the same thing as what we're seeing today, and in a bad way. So I'm not saying that everything was perfect in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 8: It wasn't.
Speaker 13: But the idea of there's too many threes and it might be repelling some people from watching the sport. I understand that viewpoint, but I don't think that making dunks worth three points is the answer. I think it'll make more injuries because of you know, it's a violent sport already, but making it a dunk worth three points would only increase the mid air collisions and you'll see chet Homegrins of the world land horribly and be out because of a broken hip. I think that would be more commonplace in a league with a three point dunk. But I do think bringing back some shot diversity and bringing back the mid range in a way that makes sense, I think could go a long way to bringing back some viewers who feel like this game is just make or miss from downtown and that's going to dictate everything is whether my team made threes, And certainly the Utah Jazz on Saturday night we're evidence of that is how good they look when those threes are dropping. But some other nights it's pretty hard to watch.
Speaker 2: What do you most attribute the lack of solid ratings to, tom Maybe it's just this, Maybe it's just this, And look historically speaking, and it's been a number of years since pro basketball was even within a ear shot of Pro football. On this time of year, most everybody that are sports fans are you know, they're watching football, college and pro. Sunday Night football is the highest rated television show in our country, not sporting event television show. So we will see the numbers improve come you know, February January, February when bowl seasons behind us, the Super Bowls behind us. But it's undeniable that these NBA ratings like the first couple of weeks like whatever. But now we've got to sample size. We're approaching Thanksgiving where some of the time slots are down as much as like thirty forty percent. This is not five or six percent. Why do you think people are watching pro basketball right now?
Speaker 8: Well, I think large majority of that slide is due to the absence of stars.
Speaker 13: And you hit on it in the beginning, and I'll just give you this stat. Games missed by Stars is of fifty two percent compared to last year.
Speaker 8: Fifty two percent.
Speaker 13: Through fifteen games of the season, we've had one hundred and fifty two injuries. And last year at this point there was one hundred games lost due to injury. So last year we had one hundred games lost due to injury for Stars, and now we're looking at one hundred and fifty two over that same time period. So what we're seeing is, you know, a nice return of stars. De Jon se Murray, Kevin Durant, Bradley Beale, Chrisafsperzingis. These guys are coming back, but a lot of players are not. That Luka Doncic is out for a week. You have Joel Embiid, who knows what's happening with that guy. Kawhi Leonard is still out for the season. Chris Middleton we have no real, real timetable for his return. And we're seeing star players miss at extreme rates compared to recent history. And I think there's this there's this happy medium between being smart and being good business smart, right, Like they're smart in the medical sense of like, hey, we're holding out these players because we don't want to hurt them for the long run, or we're having preventative treatments so that you know, this knee sprain doesn't turn into a torny acl I get that, but also there has to be a happy meeting between that and what we're seeing now where injuries or games lost due to injury or absences are up fifty two percent, and.
Speaker 10: So you know, it's not good for business.
Speaker 13: To have a Thursday night game without any stars or have you know the Clippers playing the Sixers in the opening week of the season and only Paul George is playing. You got no Joelle Embiid, no Tyrese Maxi, no Paul George, no Kawhi Leonard. And that's not good for the sport, not just for that night, but also the message it sends to potential viewers is, oh, I'm going to watch this Sixers Clippers game. Wait a minute, those guys aren't playing, ah man, Like this is just another game where the NBA stars aren't playing. That can kind of really poison the well. And I'm hoping that this avalanche of injuries is really coming to an end here because we are seeing some players come back this week, which is really good for the NBA Cup. The NBA Cup is coming up, and I really hope that we have a full, you know, roster of star players because this is a star league and when you know injuries or games lost, dude, injury to star players is up fifty two percent. That's about as much of an explainer as anything.
Speaker 1: Well said, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Let me go back to the Jazz for a moment and uh just kind of kick the tires with you on some potential storylines and topics, you know, this year, and they took a big step back with their developmental program after Taylor broke his leg. Poor kid, because he came back in great shape and he's looking pretty good. Marketing cannot be traded. Maybe all I need to say to real NBA fans about who the jazz are is John Collins might have been. They might be their best player, So maybe that's all you need to know. But you know, certainly Danny Ain's justin Zannik open for business at all times. Do you think any of these Vets are going to be on the move, because there is part when I like watching the Nick game, I'm thinking, all right, Marketing's back, you know, here we go again.
Speaker 1: Are they going to start winning a little?
Speaker 2: Because Larry's that good and when they're hitting shots like they were, they have the ability to win some games, which I very much do not want them to do. I've been on that page for two years, as you know, Tom, So I'm bring on the losing like when they started losing big, you know, like where it seemed to be pretty obvious that they were leaning into this development, they started losing, and I felt better about their direction that I have in two years. But you think we're gonna see Danny and Justin maybe break this down to like if they start winning tom if they go on some run, whether they win like twelve of fourteen, which I do not believe that they will do, but if they do that, will they start breaking this down prior to the February deadline this time?
Speaker 13: It's just the perverse incentive structure of the NBA, right, is that we're rooting. If you're a Jazz fan, you're conflicted. You're rooting for them to lose because that might give them the best chance at a star in that market. It might be the best route, the best path to getting a foundational star. But it's also you look at the Detroit Pistons, you look at for so long, the Sacramento Kings, the Minnesota Timberwolves when they got Andrew Wiggins, and then only saw you all of that mediocrity to continue under Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony Towns, and it's like, we got two number one overall picks and we're still not anywhere. Until they moved Andrew Wiggins, and then they got Rudy Gobert and of course Anthony Edwards another number one overall pick. It's not it's more art than science how to build a championship team. But the problem is that the incentives are right there, is you have more ping pong balls if you are not good, and so I think that will be The telling factor is how much they got to be in the bottom five. But it doesn't have to be necessarily the worst team. But I think if they're going to be record wise, you know, on that five to six bottom of five six teams, I think that'll be enough to you know, give them a solid shot at a star in the draft. But you know, the question is you look at a team like the Houston Rockets where they're now as have won as many teams, And I wrote about this for a Tom Deefiner dot com I substack. They're twelve and six right now, and they've built through the draft.
Speaker 1: You look at.
Speaker 13: Albern Shanghun, Jalen Green, Amen Thompson, Reed, Shepherds glued to the bench because there's just so many good young players on that team. Tari Easton's been fantastic for them. They made one signing right there with Fred Van Vliet, and he's kind of set the tone for the locker room, and that is a model for the Utah Jazz is like building. It's going to take a few but building through the draft and seeing where it gets them.
Speaker 8: But you have to hit.
Speaker 13: And the Houston Rockets the Oklahoma City Thunder, they've built through the draft in a way that is a nice model for Houston, but you have to make sure you nail those picks. And so for the Jazz it's like, yeah, we can build through the draft, but if we don't get Cooper Flag in the draft, will this be all for not?
Speaker 10: And unfortunately the NBA, for.
Speaker 13: A small market team, the odds are not great to begin with, and the odds that might be best if you build through the draft like okay see and Houston has and hope. You can nail those picks and you can get an Alpha and Shane Gun. You can get a check Holmegrin or a Jalen Williams. But the history of the NBA shows you know, you need a superstar and probably two or three of them in order to win a championship. And for Utah, it's just gonna be really hard to bring one in without having enough bites at the apple at the top.
Speaker 2: Before I set you loose, because I know you got to go, and if you need to go quick, just be quick, quick with the answer.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I've never considered anybody to be able to win a quote triple crown in pro basketball because I simply thought it was entirely impossible. And Nikola Jokic is second in rebounding right now, he's second in assists. Uh no, excuse me. He leads a league in rebounding, he's second in scoring, and he's second in assists, and he's shooting like forty three.
Speaker 1: Percent from three.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're numb to it, but he strikes me as like this virtue also, who's mastered the cello and wants to retire and go do something else. What do you make of what we could potentially see with Jokicic this year?
Speaker 13: I hate to correct you, but I'm only doing it because I love you and because it's even funnier. The stat is, Jokic isn't.
Speaker 10: Shooting forty three percent from downtown.
Speaker 13: He's shooting fifty six.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I must have had the wrong stat That's insane Gez.
Speaker 13: Fifty six percent spends from downtown, and it's you know, do you have to qualify it. I'm not so sure heies right now, just because of the games played from the three point standpoint, but fifty six percent from downtown first and rebounding not quite like you said, not quite assists and points right now, but he's right in the mix of it. I never thought i'd see anything like that, But then again, I thought i'd never see Lebron James score forty thousand points, and I thought i'd never see someone break off for Robertson's triple double record, and then basically Russell Blspers did three times. So I can't put a pass Jokich.
Speaker 1: He's a virtuo.
Speaker 13: So he is the best player in the NBA, and I don't think it's particularly.
Speaker 1: Close this season.
Speaker 13: I don't know if you'll have the volume or he'll continue to shoot that well from downtown.
Speaker 10: But it's all things are possible with that guy.
Speaker 8: He is a savant.
Speaker 13: He is the chosen one in terms of like basketball skill, and he's got incredible hands. He's second in the NBA in deflections. We're not even talking about those steals and block numbers for Yokich, but he's second in the NBA in deflections per game behind Dyson Daniels, which no one realizes is that he's just got these ridiculous myths that not just has the touch but also just the hand eye coordinations ridiculous. And so Jokich is incredible. He's my pick, easy pick for MVP at this point. And it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he could have that triple crown so to speak, and points, rebounds and assists, but also that three point percentages insane, fifty six percent, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Heading back to the motherland Tommy tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So I'll pay my respects to the great I'm sure Tom Haberstrow statue that's outside of Staples High School at some point. So have a great Thanksgiving, my friend, Thank you for the time.
Speaker 10: Okay, you too, And I'll just say this.
Speaker 13: Charlotte, where I live, they just announced Dave Matthews band is going to headline a festival here, so I'm already trying to get in line for tickets.
Speaker 1: Stop it, I'm gonna fly out. We'll go to a Dave show together. Let's do it.
Speaker 8: Dude in there.
Speaker 2: It is Tom Haberstrow, the Great Tom Haberstrow, one of my favorite NBA guests all of his work. He's very busy. He's about to go record a podcast. He does like five a week. Tomdefiner dot Com is a substack. He writes a column for Yahoo Sports, and he's on the Blazers broadcast team. My man has like seven jobs at Tom Haberstrow is where you find him all right before we catch a break. Welcome in Doug from Farmer and Chemist on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Doug, Happy Monday, sir.
Speaker 8: How are you good afternoon?
Speaker 16: I'm doing great, Happy to be with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, appreciate the time today.
Speaker 2: So what I've utilized You guys introduced me to these gummies to help me sleep at Farmer and Chemist, and it has been a game changer because I don't like sleep meds.
Speaker 1: I've tried them all, and by all of them.
Speaker 2: I mean quite literally all of them, and I'm no longer taking any of the pharmaceuticals. I'm utilizing the gummies. How can you help people like me that have a tendency to struggle sleep well.
Speaker 16: I think one of the things you identified is the prescription medications for sleep cause a lot of side effects, definitely some negatives to them. So Farmer and Chemist CBD with CBN gummies or yummy gummies as we call them, are amazing to help people fall asleep a little bit easier, set their mind at ease so they're not overthinking things at night and stressing out, and then getting a quality night's sleep. So it's amazing one to night and you feel better the next day.
Speaker 2: And I want to continue the theme of trying to help people that might find themselves hooked on some damaging pharmaceuticals or prescription drugs, namely painkillers.
Speaker 1: And opioids, where we all know the deal man.
Speaker 2: We're in this horrible spot as a country, but ultimately people are in pain and they need releaf and you guys can also help people that have chronic pain.
Speaker 1: Doggles here about that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, absolutely, pain is a real thing. We used to call it the sixth vital sign. They got some negative press with all the opioid news, so that's a little bit negative. But the positive is that Farmer in Chemist CBD with CBG gummies as well as the tinctures and not just the oral medicines, but the topical medicines like Problem Solved, so you can rub on for local inflammation relief, are fantastic for chronic pain as well as for acute pain. So strain your back Farmer and Chemist Problem Solved, It's great, Just rub it on. I can't wake up in the morning because you've got achy bones and stiffness. Yummy gummy with CBG takes care of all the inflammation. It makes you feel better every.
Speaker 1: Day, all right, Doug.
Speaker 2: I'm sure a lot of people feel like we're just speaking Italian right because they're just not educated. And I wasn't either. In time met you guys, and I was able to ask questions and you were going to help me, able to help me kind of walk through exactly what this is all about. So for listeners that are curious, you have a special deal for them. What's the best way for them to get a hold of you?
Speaker 16: Absolutely, you can come into the store seventy seven nineteen South Main Street in Midvale, or you can reach out to us online at Farmerandchemist dot com and our staff will help you. And if you don't need CVD, that's fine, we'd love to teach you about it anyway. But if you need some, We'll hope you get the right product made from the best pharmaceutical agents that money can buy. So it's absolutely the best CBD on the market.
Speaker 2: Doug, thank you sir for your time. Have a great Thanksgiving. Look forward to chatting with you again soon.
Speaker 16: Okay, thank you, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Speaker 2: This song actually works in a lot of different ways, one which will remain off air. But excited on this Monday during Thanksgiving weeks to have Richard Smith live in studio, Smitty, you brought us a special guest.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you introduce him. The floor is yours.
Speaker 3: Oh no, well no, this isn't.
Speaker 12: This is first of all, I'm I'm I'm merely here as the pawn in this in this whole whole charade that you've got going on.
Speaker 1: You know you think it's a charade.
Speaker 12: Well, well, if you have me, I know, I know, I know that you're down at the bottom of the battle. So I got to try and lift it up. Okay, you know, lift up. As you fill the water jug, the cream rises to the top. So you get you get doctor Chris Hill in the studio so he can bring something that makes sense to the show.
Speaker 3: You know other than my my blabbering all the time.
Speaker 1: So, doctor Hill, how are you, sir? Happy Monday? It's smitty. You know, there's an old expression.
Speaker 14: You can bs the baker and get a bun, and you bs me you get none.
Speaker 3: All right, that's happened for a long time.
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine. I'm doing fine.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be fun. Just three Northeast guys. We'll try to stay on track here. But I have a lot that I want to get to. First of all, we're kindred spirits. You enjoy Thanksgiving like I do?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 14: Oh, I sure do. Yeah, it's my family. My staff is laughing right now. Notes from now Oh my old staff, you know her best stay of here. Oh yeah, I drove them all crazy.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so do I so do I All right, Doctor Hill, it's been a minute since you and I have been able to catch up, and I just can't.
Speaker 1: I'm shaking my head as.
Speaker 2: I outline the fact that we're sitting here with seven straight Utah fop l's first time since nineteen eighty six, and they're a nine point five point dog on Friday, which are to be a historic losing streak for Utah football. I get a lot of things wrong. I don't know that I've ever been this wrong about something, as far as how wrong I've been about this team.
Speaker 1: How do you unpack this? Well, you're not the only one wrong for so you're not the lone ranger.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we're all on the bandwagon, you know. Now it's a fifty seven Chevy the bandwagon.
Speaker 1: You don't know whenyons on.
Speaker 14: But it took me so much by surprise, and still is taking me by surprise. Yeah, I'm just like wow each game and they're just I don't know what they would do. I forgot what those days are like. I mean, I still have that ears around. But boy, in the late eighties and nineties, before you and Smitty were born, it was brutal. It was brutal, and so you know you'd lose when you get up Sunday morning. That makes for a long week. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder Smitty how you've because obviously you were part of a lot of very successful jazz front offices, but there were down years when you were rebuilding and losing seeps in. I wonder how you compartment is. We've talked about Utah football. They're lofty expectations and what it's like for a locker room when the losing piles the way it has for Utah football.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, it's interesting the different spence is. And guys would tell me this, who played professional basketball overseas in some of the domestic leagues where sometimes they only play once a week on the weekends, and they'd say, you know, well, you know you play in the in Greece. If you only play on a team that plays in the in the in the domestic league, you're playing once a week. You're playing on Saturday or Sunday. And if you lose, then you got to deal all week long with all the talking about and everything. You can't get back up on the horse till the next week.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 12: In the NBA, you know, sometimes like the Jazz this week of going into a schedules starting tomorrow where they play four games and six days.
Speaker 3: So whether you win or lose, you gotta go boom boom.
Speaker 12: We got to get onto the next thing, right And you know, but in the football, like you know, with what the what the U football team is going through right now, you know, seven losses in a row, that's seven weeks, that's almost two months. That you've had to listen to why can't you guys win a game? Why couldn't you win the game you just played? What's the matter with you? And it just I'll tell you what, I can only assume you know with those guys that, especially when you're used to a winning culture and you're used to sustained success like Kyle Winningham has had up there for all these years, that you go through something like this and it's not just the losses themselves in the league and the expectations and all that, but it just wears you out emotionally and mentally having to hear about it all the time, all the time. And I can imagine what those guys are going through, especially now in the situation they're in. They don't have a bowl game to play for, so they have one game left on Friday, which you try and make it into your.
Speaker 3: Thanksgiving Bowl game.
Speaker 12: Let's go guys, Kumbaya and all that stuff. But you know, it's hard to get that that reaction from those guys, even though they know that on Saturday they come home from from Orlando and the season's over.
Speaker 3: It's all done.
Speaker 2: Doctor Hill, you're the man who hired coach with and I honestly, and I say it all the time. I have a good relationship with Kyle. He's good enough to come on the show a few times throughout the year, even though they practice in the afternoons. But I don't have a pulse on how this has affected him. I try to. I watch his pressers. He looks tired. When I had him on the show a couple of months ago, we had a few minutes before recording and I said, how you doing? He said, this is as hard as it's been in a long time. His media last week, Doctor Hill struck me as a guy that said, no, not like this right. But I have no how do you think this has affected a guy that you know probably better than It's interesting.
Speaker 14: I went to work out at UH where Schmitty and I do yoga UH peace with ourselves on night. Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm a rainbow amongst the clouds.
Speaker 3: So you know.
Speaker 14: One of the things is I hadn't been in the foot A Center from all a bit of three years. So I'm working out at Steiner and it was last Tuesday, and I thought, you know, sometimes it is eighty I just go by and see if Kyle's in his office, and just shoot the crap for a while. So the secretary, Oh, we'll find him, We'll find him. He want to talk to you because I think, you know, somebody's not going to say what's going on. So I walked in. I said, are you're breathing? Because I think so? I think so. I said, okay, let's just talk about our grandkids. All right, let's do that there and then the only thing by football is the whole quarterback thing. Let's be honest. You know, you don't be the guy that touches the ball, isn't you know your guy? It's like not having a picture, you know. So obviously he was really down. I thought he lost some weight, but you know, you can see the strains there and it's like he's a deer in headlights. He's you know, this just is weird, you know. And I can't imagine, you know, being the idea, you know, I people will get, you know, upset. And this is Kerns McCarthy. He owned the true Bune and all those families. And I used to go to Saint Ambrose and we lost to Bhyu and this is like nineteen eighty eight. I'll never forget it. And he's passing the plate along to collect money. I'd rather lose to the Russians than by you. And I'm sittner going it just came to church, you know that the Lord had give me a break, and you know, and people around me are going, what the heck?
Speaker 1: So tomorrow?
Speaker 14: Story is, Kyle's really really got to be worn out. I just looked on his face, and I think he was. He didn't want to rush out of room because we weren't talking about football, sure, and I never talked to football at him, you know. I always talked about houses, you know, how's you managing the team, stuff like that. But you know, he looked like he was really really tired.
Speaker 2: Tell me this follow up here, because I truly don't know whether or not Kyle's decision to end his time as head coach is soon, and I don't know that this year matters as far as the context of what would be a really big choice for him. But what does your gut tell you as far as what you know about him? Do you think a season like this motivates Kyle to say not like this? Or do you think he's done enough where it's like one year doesn't matter. I had twenty really good years at Utah. I don't know everybody that's over sixty. And I faced that too.
Speaker 14: Now I'm over seventy, and you know, you get I told him, you know, he's what about you? And I said, well, I didn't get down a yellow no pad and put one thing on the other. And I said, you know, nobody can tell you what to do, and you can try to we win this year, we lose next year, okay, the odsom we win in and blah blah blah blah blah. We all know it's a crap shoot. And I said, this is pretty simple. But you this is just why I sending you buy your home because it just has great street field. The biggest investment in your life, the biggest decision you make is to marry your wife. Because it felt good and you loved it. You didn't get a yellow no pad. See if she went to the Dennis check or teeth and you get your bicycle from consumer Report. So I said, you know what, It got down to the point for me, it was a gut feeling. It wasn't like should I stay in out of the years, should I do that? And I wasn't making six million dollars a year. I was doing right though, but still it's the point where I don't know if you can base it on just one thing like that or what you're gonna win you're gonna lose. It's so precarious, So my advice would sounds simple, but it's your biggest decision outside of who you're gonna marry, you know, in the career like that, having children and all the family stuff. I don't know how you can base it on one little win or loss. It's for me, it was all about how did I feel, what did I want to do?
Speaker 2: Interesting Smitthia, I can't eloquently tie Kyle to Jerry as far as the way Jerry's career ended, because that's a different outlier.
Speaker 1: That's a different thing.
Speaker 2: It was a moment in time with a player now who has admitted that he was a prima donna and a selfish ass in.
Speaker 1: His words, not mine.
Speaker 2: But I do remember Jerry oftentimes when it came to losing, internalizing it in a way that probably wasn't very healthy because coaches are wired like that. And I think what doctor Hill is describing with Kyle has kind of reminded me a little bit of every time Jerry would lose in fear that he's never going to win another NBA game. Coaches are wired differently, aren't they.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and and and you know, I I also think that with with the perspective of time and experience, that some of those things start to get into a little more. You know, your your edges are worn down a little bit.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 12: With with coach Sloan, you know, towards the end, you know, he just didn't want to deal with a lot of the so called heavy lifting that was involved in trying to keep the ship afloat and keep it going in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Even with a pretty decent Yeah, you know.
Speaker 12: We had we had a good team, but uh, you know, but but you know with with with uh, you know what with Chris is saying about about Kyle. He's been there so long, has had such success and has had a formula and knows what he needs to get done to keep that that that train on the track and going the right direct. Now in the last several years with the NIL stuff and the transfer portal stuff, and now you have the new you know, Big League with the Big twelve or all those kinds of changes, you just you know, and then you have a season like this where the expectations were out of whack in my opinion, you know, back in June and July, where everybody's talking about undefeated and getting the CFP and getting to the National semifinals and blah blah blah and whatever, and and all that stuff goes awry very quickly, and those things when you're at this stage of your career, whatever that is. For someone who's had that experience like he has had to to have to absorb that and have to deal with all of that stuff, I'm not sure it would be as Chris is saying, you know, a one year decision like hying, don't going through this again or whatever. I think for me, I would think it would be more about do I want to keep trying to do this the way that we're we're having to do it now, with the way that differently than I did it ten years ago, you know, a different approach, a different mindset. Do I do I want to do that? Do I want to reinvent myself in that regard at this point of my career? And you know, and getting slapped in the head like you do with a year like this doesn't help that process. But but you have to sit just just like Chris is saying, you have to sit in a dark room, you know, with the lights out, by yourself and just go you know, do I Now I heard his press conference today where he said, oh, I got plenty of gas in the tank. You know, I have no problem with that. So I think it's just going to be, you know, something like that. I don't, but I'll say this, man, I don't like, as an outside observer, a guy sitting up in row row twenty five, you know, just watching the games and being a fan of the game. I don't like the vibe that the public in general is giving that, Oh, because he's had a bad year, you know, he's got to decide to retire and all that kind of stuff because he's lost it or he's lost the locker.
Speaker 3: Room or whatever.
Speaker 12: To me, my opinion, that is so much blogoney that it shouldn't even be, you know, be talked about. You know, they've had a bad year. Injuries, things haven't gone their way. All the breaks they needed they didn't get. That's just what happened the last couple of months. And you know, you have to take it for what that is. And put it in the greater perspective to try and assess what you want to do going forward.
Speaker 2: So a lot of good stuff there, and it's Doctor Hill. It's an interesting balance, right because Smithy alluded to this, and I believe it to be true that Kyle has earned the right to go.
Speaker 1: Out on his terms.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's how I feel, and I believe that that is the equity that he has built up in this market over two decades. But at what point from an administrator's perspective, do you start to get concerned, Like, if we're sitting here, the three of us, let's make it an annual things Thanksgiving week, you guys are welcome here for an hour. If we're sitting here next year Thanksgiving Week and they're three and seven and Kyle's back, at what point, because again, Coach Way to allude to this earlier, it's hard to go out at the right time, It's almost impossible. But yes, I believe he has earned the right to call his shot. But from an administrator's perspective, when do you start asking questions.
Speaker 14: When you feel like it, You know, you get to the point where I always tell everybody that you evaluate people get real.
Speaker 1: You know I got a PhD.
Speaker 14: But I don't use all that stuff sometimes because some things are really simple. Like I just talked about it. So an employee comes into your office and says they're going to resign. Are you dancing on the tabletops or are you distraught? If you're dancing on the tabletops, you kind of got to go with what your answer is. That's not happening, Kyle. You know that's not happening. And so it's just really one of those things where it's up to him. You know, the world of sports is cruel and could change anybody. I was paranout all the time and you'd do something wrong and think, oh God. But like coaches, Jerry Sloan was the king of he can't leok behind you. You're a fighter pilot. You just keep got to going. There's no behind you. And you know they're AD's are wired different, but not not quite as different as coaches and ads have different ads have a couple of sports. So if we were good in basketball, bat and football, I could, you know, at least have some sense of sanity. But you take guys like Jerry Sloan, who are the I mean, I'm a Jerry Sloan Fan and Kyle same and they're just tough, smart guys, you know, and it's killing them, you know, I mean, you know, you know how tough both those two guys are.
Speaker 1: I mean, you wouldn't want to mess with them.
Speaker 14: And you can imagine they go home and you know, I used to say, you know, coach goes to sleep at four in the morning, the ad goes to sleep at one point thirty in the retired guy goes to sleep at.
Speaker 1: Eleven after the game. The way it is, and it's really hard.
Speaker 14: So you know, I just don't want to do any kind of hypothetical what's going to happen because he's earned too much respect.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, all right before we catch a break, doctor Hill, And if you do not want to talk about this, it is well within your right to see into that microphone buzz off. I have nothing to say. However, when a few friends of mine who listened to the program heard me tease that you were going to be on the show today, they both sent me the same message, and essentially it said, Penny first thoughts about what Mark Harland decided to do after the Utah BYU game, and just you know, for contexts. I was down on the sideline, so I saw Mark kind of go at the officials when the game was still going on, which struck me as odd. My experience with Mark is that he's been more or less a measured guy that's nice to me. I don't know him well personally. But I'm walking home across campus from the stadium after the game and suddenly my phone is blown up, like I thought somebody had got an accident, Like, what's going on? So I pulled my cell phone out and it was all the same. Did you hear what Mark Carlan just said? Did you hear what Mark Carlan just said? Somebody sends me the link on social I watch it and I went, oh, no, I thought he was in a lot of trouble. Rhet your Mark Northeast sleeping with the fish as Big twelve commissioner Penny for his thoughts when he woke up and saw his cell phone by the way, Yeah, so public reprimand forty K fine, And I thought Mark. I was relieved for him. I thought he was going to be in more trouble. So God asked the question her thoughts on that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, I was bounding to termine when when I left, and still am that any kind of administrative things that happened, I'm not going to blink my eyes one with the other.
Speaker 7: Fair.
Speaker 14: The last thing I do is I don't want to be seen as that old guy that's criticizing what goes on or not I can complain about throwing a pass the wrong way or something. No, I think for me and I appreciate, let me not go into that because what I say it's not going to be worthwhile anything.
Speaker 1: And I don't know Mark very well anyway. I haven't spent much time with him at all.
Speaker 2: So and what you can comment on is as the a d after a hard fought Utah b U Yu football game, if you feel like you're on the wrong side of certain things, that's that's a different type of intense emotion, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 14: And you know and and there are times when I was in the hallway after game years ago, I don't I don't forget it is with Kyle had they he didn't call a time out and the referee did and costs us essentially the game. And I'm in the tunnel and pretty upset and talking to the conference office. But in my job. I you know, maybe it started with Rick, but I was you know, I didn't want to be near the bench ever or during the sideline. But this game was over, I'd zoomed to the locker room. Started with Rick because I want to get okay, Rick, don't go, don't go. So you know it's almost like that was you know, I was, I was moving my feet and trying to pick up a charge, you know, and I kind of got in that habit with everybody. This is Abele would help me too, especially football, so I was always at them. I was upset at times whatever, But when I got down to the locker room, I kind of felt my job was say Liz, what do I need to do? And on to coach freaking out? Was you know, that's kind of my thing. So yeah, that was the way I looked at it. But there were times I was obviously upset. Everybody is, and you know, you just got to just ride to what your own personality is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we'll catch a quick break. Richard Smith, doctor Christill Live in studio. Got one more big segment coming up next. We'll launch it at the five o'clock hour after that. Don't forget the Craig Smith Coaches shows tonight at six, and then after that it's Monday Night football the Harball Bowl with the Ravens and the Chargers. So keep it here on the ESPN seven hundred. All right, we've got doctor Priscill, former ad up on the Hill, no pun intended there, live in studio. Richard Smith forty years with the Jazz Front Office, live in studio as well, a lot of intellectual brain power and great experience in this in this little radio studio. So I appreciate your time here. Okay, No, what what?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 1: Forty years in the league? Doctor? How long were you an administrator in college? Forget? No, thirty one years is the ad?
Speaker 2: So a combined seventy one years of life experience in sports, Smitty, that's not nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to pay you a compliment. Experience doesn't mean intellect. That doesn't mean I was smart for thirty one years. Oh you did a pretty good job, doctor.
Speaker 12: Was that the famous John Wooden line, don't mistake activity for achievement.
Speaker 1: Fair enough? But one more question about coach Witt.
Speaker 2: One more question about Utah football, then we'll move on to some other things. Smitty, referenced coach Sloan deciding, and I believe the phrase that Smitty used was he didn't want to do the heavy lifting anymore.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 2: On the college side of things, we've seen Nick Saban, Tony Bennett, and others powerhouse coaches. Saban, potentially the best of all time, walk away from the job that he loves, and now that he's in media, we know he walked away because he doesn't want anything to do with what the sport has become. Do you think there's any part of Kyle that looks at what the sport has become and doesn't want to deal with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Yeah, well, you know, random one day he says, we can't couldn't give you a hamburger something, you know, eight years ago and seriously couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: A bagel or a bagel with cream. Sees like that was how silly it was.
Speaker 14: You know, it's interesting because the guys, at least I think it's interesting the guys that have in that age bracket, they kind of grew up as coaches because they wanted to coach, and all of a sudden they started making money, you know, But they got into coaching because they wanted to tell the defensive attack. You got to do this, You got to move here, Scott. You know, I Ohays used to say, there's two kinds of coaches. When you go to some kind of convention. There's the guys in the corner talking about they're out of bounce plays or they're splits and they're getting in the napkin in there se the other guys over there because they used to Cheasevana. He was the first one talking about their contracts with TV guid and who they're sponsoring, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of those guys.
Speaker 14: I think Saban probably was one of those guys as much as he's big now and all this money and everything, you know, and it's hard for that. It would be hard for me, it'd be hard for anybody that you couldn't really coach them up. And you know you're you're not in control. Oh coach, I'm sorry, I'm leaving because I'm making this much more money there. You know, love you care about you.
Speaker 1: You know you've gone.
Speaker 14: And I understand the whole deal. I understand why they need to have the portal and all this, but I just hope that they get contracts for kids where if they leave. At least somebody's got to pay somebody. Yeah, you know there's something. You know, they're pros. They got a model. You know what are we shine away from? You know I used to call I call it now uh work study.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 14: They were just like somebody working in cafeteria. Y. They work their employees.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 14: And they get paid for what they do if they do something valuable to get paid. Now that's hard because the fourth string tackle isn't really Scholarship is forty thousand dollars pretty good for an eighteen year old kid that's not playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know so anyway, I didn't mean.
Speaker 12: No, no, you just you hit the nail on the head. What's happening is that they in college athletics. Now from my perspective, is that the genie is out of the bottle, and but and nobody knows where it's gonna go, uh next week. It's it keeps changing, it keeps evolving, it keeps getting more out of hand, more less and less able to grab it and to try and figure out what to what to do with it is the way I see it. I mean, whether it's Nick saban in in uh in football, whether it's Jay Wright at Villanova in NCAA basketball, h to the most accomplished coaches u you know, in their respective sports, who both had a lot still in front of them, and they they both you know, apparently just said forget. I can't I can't do it, you know, and and uh and hey, Randy Ray did that up the road at Weber State, great great success up there, sixteen years, winning, always in the hunt for a conference championship. And at the end and near the end of February and you know, and that and that thing came to him and he had a couple of his players as his last year, came and said, hey, an agent has contacted us and wants us to leave this week and and uh and all this kind of stuff to go overseas and whatever.
Speaker 3: And they know they end up staying.
Speaker 12: But you know, he was saying, well, if that's if that's what it's going on, now, like I can't deal with that, you know. And Plus now, like he said to me, if I happen to get another Damian Lillard at Weaver State, right, I got him one year and then he's he's he's going to u.
Speaker 9: C l A.
Speaker 1: He's going to Kansas him for a year.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's that's that's true.
Speaker 12: Also, you know the way it is now, So yeah, it's it's just a whole different thing. And and and and Chris is exactly right. The guys who who were into it because they love the coaching and the ex's and o's and the napkins and on the on the coffee table and all that kind of stuff. And and now it's a whole different world. And and and why guys are getting into it, from what I've seen in recent years, is a different rationale for getting into it. And it's it's not the same. And it's that roads diverged, you know. And as Jogi Bearra said, you know when I come to a fork in the road, I take it. You know, you know which which way you which way you're taking it.
Speaker 14: That's it from his book. All I got the book. All the things he said, all the things I said, I never said.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 14: Every one of those stories, every one of those things has a little explanation. You know, that place is so crowded, everybody goes there anywhere. That's he used They used to have to work in the off season. He was a mader d yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, it got so crowded, a place came so popular, his guys didn't come. Yeah, so got so crowded nobody came anymore. And that was his explanation. But anyway, yeah, I love it. I do think, you know, we can't be whining about it being different and all this and that, but it is different. So your skills and what you grew up with and how you handle this maybe not the job for you anymore.
Speaker 1: Different.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I think that and and and Kyle said that today. I think in the press he said some version of of Hey, the way it's changed now in recent years, you either adapt or or you are you you choose option by that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, My problem is is that is that some coach, you know, Kyle gets a player, develops them. You know, that's our That was what made Kyle's program win in those great years. And but now you you know, it's it's like you know in basketball, Rick used to take the guy out, you know.
Speaker 3: If he didn't hustle.
Speaker 1: Now that Kayle calls his uncle says.
Speaker 14: Hey, I'm supposed to play, It's like who's the guy practice he's talking about and the kids going ant he he I didn't get back on defense, and you know, Joey, I think, you know Texas is gonna take me. So it's kind of like, how do you coach him up? And in basketball, one of my big concerns is that college basketball is dropping. And you'll see Kansas game crowded, in this game crowded, but you know the utes aren't getting people. But it's not uncommon around the country. I mean, b Yu and Utah State do well. But you kind of fall in love with kids if you're a fan. You know, I've heard there from more people. You know, I bought my tickets and I'm watching grow up as a sophomore and junior.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to go back and see him.
Speaker 14: And in basketball it's different because you can see him and then reality should go and look and see where their family is. See kind of grow up thinking, oh, this is my team, these are my guys. Uh, I didn't know who's on a team this year. It's a little bit like fans. I don't want to be too corny, but they kind of fall in love with guys like adrenaline.
Speaker 1: I mean, hell for sure, so you can't wait for them.
Speaker 14: He lost some weight stronger this year he can shoot better from the outside, beat beat beep.
Speaker 1: All those things.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's to say, it's a you develop a relationship from your perspective.
Speaker 3: You think you know who they are and and something. You know.
Speaker 12: It's just like running into you know, Tom Hanks at the airport, and you know, you run up to hey Tom, you think he's gonna say, hey, hey, Chris.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 12: You know whatever you know and and uh and and but it's always that that that feeling that you have with them.
Speaker 3: Now, you know.
Speaker 12: Jerry Seinfeld was doing a little bit a while ago about growing up a Mets fan and all the guys he used to root for all their career and stuff, and now he says, they change, players change all the time. I don't even know who's who's playing anymore. But now I figure all I'm doing now is really basically rooting for laundry, because I'm just rooting for whoever's wearing the Mets shirt, whatever that is. You know, I'm rooting for that guy. I don't know who he is, but he's got my shirt on, so he must be one of my guys.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, now the great Seinfeld bit, let me ask you one more Utah football question, because I need to ask you point blank your opinion on exactly how we find ourselves here. And the hard thing about this topically, doctor who is? I do feel like you can be as reductive as saying if Cameron was healthy, everything would be different. I honestly feel that way. But we're talking seven straight l's and potentially eight, so on a scale of reductive, Cam got hurt to holy smokes, how did we get here?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 14: I think losing becomes a habit too, you know, and you lose your confidence and you know, our defense, you know, I mean, God bless them, they're doing great, but at kind of the end of the game they're kind of have no confidence and the team goes down the scores. I mean, they kicked butt for you know, a whole time, and all of a sudden something happened. So it's snowballs. It's not like we're getting beat by forty and you just call it a day. But I you know, the quarterback has obviously it's a quarterback game on offense. So could they have better people back up? It's pretty hard to quarterbacks. Are It's notty no spoiled kids? And do they really want to sit on the bench and wait their turn. So it's worse than it's ever been, you know, So I do think it's part that. I think it's part the fact that your mojo gets down a little bit, you know, and all of a sudden it just snowballs. And you know, I don't want to get back to the other thing we're just talking about, but you know, or nine guys on a team that played against BYU at one time, nine guys wild, yeah, So I mean it's not like they're passionate about the utes because they also got Uncle Joe talking about another school. So when it starts to go south, especially in football where you're hitting each other day, you know, it's no fun. And we all know basketballs it doesn't matter, but I mean football it's a hard thing when it's cold out and you're hitting each other and you're starting to lose. So I think it's a snowball effect. And you can't outdo the fact that when you have a good quarterback, life changes.
Speaker 2: Just out of pure curiosity, because honestly don't know. I just remember after the Rose Bowls, the back to back Rose Bowls, Fox thirteen did a really good piece on what that meant for the athletic department, what it meant for the University of Utah, how much free advertising, how much free exposure it allowed for the institution. And therefore out of state and roollees were up as well. During a year where you don't make a bowl game, what sort of administrative consequences, if any, are there since they're not going bowling this year?
Speaker 1: Well, the bulls you don't make money on.
Speaker 14: But you got to believe that people are saying, well, I really want a big one tickets. You know, am I going to donate as much this year? You know, people start to get soft, so you worry. You worry for financially, and you'll worry about the image with you know, to recruit new kids. And you know, losing is you know, it's brutal. You know, there's no way about nowhere around it. And winning is off the chart the other way, you know. So I mean they're they're they're not selling T shirts. I'll tell you that right now. So every little thing along the way hurts you financially. And you know we've talked about Greg a lot Marsden and you know he's a dear friend and whatever, but he said whenever we won in football, we go to national championship games and they think we were one fantastic athletic department. If we weren't, they say, now you guys in Logan or something, Yeah, provo and wrestle at that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's even bigger now.
Speaker 14: So you know, it's it's why that football coaches get paid a lot. Man, It changes the whole deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most states, they're the highest paid public employees. In my home state, Connecticut, it's the basketball coach because Ucon's a basketball school.
Speaker 1: But Smitty, let me go to you on this. So we're nearing the end.
Speaker 2: Of football season, so Friday is the final game for the youths, and after that's kind of behind us. We'll lean a little bit more into our Utah men's basketball coverage for our listeners out there that aren't acutely aware of how ridiculous the Big Twelve is in men's basketball. Put a little context on what Craig and his group are up against coming up this year as a new member of the Big Twelve.
Speaker 12: Well, the Big Twelve in recent years has been considered by most so called experts or those who are weigh in anyway, as the toughest college men's college basketball conference in the country, tougher than the ACC, tougher than the Big Ten, tougher than the SEC, and the Utes are going to have a hard time because in part I think, I think, first of all, I don't know what kind of favors they're doing themselves with the preseason schedule that they have this year. They play one team from my from my point of view, one team of any note before the conference and that's when they play Saint Mary's in a few weeks. Otherwise they're playing all these schools or the Sisters of the Poor and whatever to and and I and and I get it. I know what the what the endgame is that they're trying to go into the conference season, you know, with a ten and one record or an eleven and two record or whatever it's gonna be, so that they look good when they get into the conference. But but when you get to the conference, you're talking about you know, Kansas, You're talking about Iowa State, You're talking about Houston, You're talking about Baylor, you're talking about Arizona. You're talking about an up and coming BYU team that has a couple of really good NBA prospects on the team. You're talking about Texas Tech, you're talking about a solid Colorado team, you're talking about West Virginia CONTI. Yeah, you know, you're going down. You're going down the list, and it's it's a long list, and and it's it's gonna be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 12: You don't play everybody in the conference right the way it wasn't It isn't football. You play a certain number of teams and and a certain number of home home games and and and road games, and so you don't play everybody. So sometimes you can escape, you know, and avoid playing a few big boys along the way. But but it's gonna be a very interesting season. It's gonna be fun to see some of those teams that do come in that come into the Huntsman Center this year to play, whether it's Kansas or whether it's Baylor. You know, some of these you know, really by U is going to be a big game because they're very good and there these are gonna be tough games, and I imagine the fans would show up. But but Chris, I think, unfortunately, I think at this moment in time for Craig Smith, who's trying to build his program in his fourth year. You know fans are going to be showing up to these conference games this year, uh to see the other team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think you're right on the mark.
Speaker 7: You know that.
Speaker 12: I come in to see the youth unfortunately, because I've been to some of the YOUTE games already, and as frank Leyden would would often say, you know, the game was just a rumor because there were like two or three hundred people there.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 14: We went to the game together with Frank and Smitty. They were my first game I went to on Saturday, and Frank is Frank, He is unbelievaba. But you know, it's interesting dynamic because now you know it's like the Big Ten. A little bit you don't have to have is you have to have some marks in your fall season. It's really important in this and you know you need four or five to make a mark, and then you have nothing to lose on them. You go three and two against some top teams. You know, even if you have to go to tournaments to play them. You know you're seeing Duke play Kentucky, right, or Duke plays Arizona or something like that. Well, neither team has anything to lose and it really don't. And I know how that works, and it's kind of the formula. You've got to make sure you have enough wins in non conference against a few good teams. But if you finish in the middle of the Pac twelve and you've got three or four to wins in the non cory, you're in. You're in, and maybe got a decent seed. You know, they'll get eight teams in at least. Yeah, it's it's quite a challenge.
Speaker 2: And Craig is very front facing about it and opted you know, optimistic and uh, you know, believes they'll get there. They were picked to finish last in the conference. But let me follow up doctor Hill on a question that we've discussed before. And if there was an easy answer, you just do it and you solve the thing.
Speaker 1: But as you know, I was a student at Utah in the late nineties.
Speaker 2: We planned our weeks around basketball games and it was always jam packed and it was so fun. And whenever I go up to the Huntsman now I'm like, what happened? You know, it feels like you're in some fever dream.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it really it's hard, you know, I think when we you know, obviously Rick Rick left. It was you know, not only we were winning, we also had a guy in the sideline that people came to watch him.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I mean they really did. Yeah.
Speaker 14: And you know we had a couple of Chad tournament I mean, you know, Larry went to the sweet sixteen and we started to group creep up a little bit with attendance. So you got to win. But I mentioned earlier, I'm worried about college basketball. Yeah, I really am. I mean, we have a lot of people like basketball, and but Utah State's been winning like crazy byus different. I mean, they have always have great attendance, even on some down years. But you know, now with a new coach and the players are getting and all that stuff, so you know, it is it's a shocker, you know when you go in there now and you think those that are around in the nineties were like we played ten o'clock games, Oh I remember.
Speaker 1: And they were packed. Yes, I remember. Now you play a seven thirty game, you go on, my guess and what am I going to do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I tell people this.
Speaker 14: You know, a good time to start a game is when your team's great. You know, that's it doesn't matter what's a good seat in the house when your team wins.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 14: The seats are good when you win. Yeah, none are good. The hot dogs are cold. Everything's bad when you lose. Right, So until they they can win significantly, I think it's going to be tough coming back.
Speaker 1: But a lot of schools are in there now.
Speaker 2: It's sad to say, all right, Smitty, before we take our break and I let you guys go, we probably should talk about some jazz, since that's why we have you here more often than not. So I'll say this, over the past seven or eight games, offensively, they've been a lot better. Their offensive rating over the past eight games is like number seven in the NBA. Now, they do not guard anybody. Knocked down a bunch of shots against the Knicks, but they have been better offensively. I'll give them that. Anything standing out to you over the past seven eight games.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, they they made some shots in a few games, Okay. John Collins playing at the five has helped. I think somewhat they get a little bit. You know, he's playing very efficiently to this point, do you realize they've played John Collins has played all in all sixteen games the Jazz have played so far. Did you realize John Collins has missed one free throw?
Speaker 1: Well, that's impressive.
Speaker 12: He's forty seven for forty eight from the free throw you're kidding, Youssi. But he's playing efficiently at the five spot. They still turn the ball over too much. There's still too loose with it. The transition defense. Their man to man defense is really bad. There's still bottom five in all the statistical categories that hasn't improved. It looks like they're trying to play some different guys, some different lineups, just to get something something going. They played very well against Nick s Ay. I was impressed with the fact that they had a twenty point lead early in the third quarter. The Knicks went on a seventeen to oh run nineteen party got it down to two, and I thought, well, they're just going to keep it rolling. And the Jazz turn around and came right back with a run of their own and bumped it back up to twelve fourteen and ended up being able to close the game out. That was a good game for them. Now they're going to have an interesting stretch here. They play four games in the next six days starting tomorrow night. Spends very interesting in the NBA schedule. They played two back to back sets at home, which is very unusual. They play Tuesday night, Wednesday night, then they get two days off of Thanksgiving, then they play Saturday night, Sunday night at all four of those games right at home into Delta Center. And then in the month of December with the NBA Cup thing that that you got a couple of flex games that they're gonna haven't assigned yet, but they're gonna end up basically playing eight of nine games on the road during the bulk part of December, and so that's gonna be a tough stretch for them. So they're gonna they're gonna find out a lot about who they are, you know, during the stretch once they get to the Christmas holidays, you know, and and what the rotations are gonna be, and what the younger guys are doing within the lineup. Cody Williams hasn't shown up at all yet for me. The league, by the way, yeah, well they should. Well, while we had we had this discussion, uh the other day with someone you know, saying that really the I think it was on our show last week with Bowler when he mentioned the fact that you know, we have the G League team, which is a developmental team. Well, most of the Jazz guys who are playing now should be on the G League team.
Speaker 3: That's what the G League is for. That's what those guys are supposed to be.
Speaker 12: Twenty year old guys, twenty one year old guys, one year in college here they come not ready to play in the NBA, but they but they're force feeding them at the NBA. Okay, I get it. I understand the wise of it, but it's not I'm not sure how much it's helping them because they're they're getting their heads knocked around most nights, and they should really be in the G League setting where they can get better run, more extended run, and be able to get some level of success and taste that a little bit to see what it is at the pro level. That's but that that's gonna be an interesting time between now and the Christmas holidays in the Jazz schedule.
Speaker 2: Well, look, gentlemen, always a pleasure. Thanks so much, live in studio, have a great Thanksgiving. You'd love to do it again, Okay.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I really appreciate it. It's comfortable with you here, and I can say some things I want to say that love it.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 1: Richard Smith. Great to see you, my friend, Bens.
Speaker 3: Thanks man, Happy Thanksgiving to you and everybody out there.
Speaker 1: There We go all right, Thanks traveled, Larry H.
Speaker 2: Miller and Draper the Ford King Utahs number one volume Ford Dealer and they'll beat any trade in price in town by seven hundred and fifty dollars anytime any day. Find them online at lhm FOD Draper dot com. Steve Young in about we'll call that twenty two minutes right now, prior to the Craig Smith Coaches Show, we'll catch up with one of the best quarterbacks in the history of football period, whether collegiate or pro, where he won a number of Super Bowls and obviously one of the most efficient quarterbacks of all time. So we'll get Steve's thoughts on the two game skid that b YU finds itself in the midst of after starting the season nine to zero, two losses, now one to Kansas seventeen thirteen. That one is going to stick in the cross thirteen points at home, I think is the one they're going to look back on. Arizona State's really good and they are now in the driver's seats playing the Big Twelve championship game.
Speaker 1: You know, we've been talking about this all day.
Speaker 2: Both Utah and BYU with pretty valiant comebacks over the weekend. Both those games fell short. Utah football mired in a seven game losing streak. Nobody saw this coming. I don't care what the revisionist historians say. Nobody saw this coming. Utah heads to Orlando coming up on Friday. It's a short week. They're taking on one of the best offenses in the Big Twelve. Even though UCF has not necessarily performed the way consistently most people thought that they would, they're still one of the most potent offenses in the entire country. Utah finds themselves as a double digit underdog on Friday night. Ten points is now the line that's moved the way of UCF a couple of different times. And if Utah loses coming up on Friday night, that's eight straight l's and that would be the most losses consecutively ever suffered by a Utah football team. So there's not a ton to play for. Bowl game now off the table. U Taugh Football will not even go to a bowl game, which is hard to wrap your mind around. But I was talking about this earlier cross talk with Sean. You know, if you watch some of the Utah players and coaches post game after some of these losses, your hearts just break for him. Man like Junior Taffoona, That poor kid. Every time they throw him up on the dais after a loss, he just can't contain himself. He just gets emotional. We saw Connor O'Toole getting emotional. So it's a little corny for me to say what I'm about to say, but this is the last week that this group will ever play together, and quite frankly, will ever be together.
Speaker 1: You know, you guys know the deal.
Speaker 2: If you were with a team, or even if you graduated from high school or college, or we're in a fraternity or whatever, like that last moment when you are with your class or your team, you don't really realize that you won't see some of those people ever again. For the rest of your lives, you will never be together in that same group, in that same room. So I suppose there's that. You know, to hear Connor and Junior talk post game with tiers running down their cheeks about how much it means to them to play football, with our brothers. This is the final time that will happen, and it's the final time this group will ever be together. Yes, that's not what we thought the narrative would be or topically what we'd be discussing.
Speaker 1: You know, the week of Thanksgiving for Utah football.
Speaker 2: A team that was picked by Vegas to win the Big Twelve Championship, a team that was picked by the media.
Speaker 1: What do we know to win the Big twelve Championship? And now we find them?
Speaker 2: You know, we find ourselves in the spot watching this team week in and week out not necessarily get blown out. But I'm not here for that. I'm not here for the moral victories. You gotta win at the end of the day. And it's been seven straight l's in a tough game coming up at UCF in Orlando, I will say, and I know this is hard to do because there's so many people in the community that are so bummed out about where we find ourselves now with Utah football in a vacuum. My thoughts Saturday night was fun like, it was a great atmosphere. It was a great college football game. Luke Batari the fifth option for coach Wit and Mike Bajakian is now your starting quarterback coming up against UCF. Isaac Wilson lost for the year. That was a dirty play, not necessarily one to call these things out the way. A lot of people online just want to live to be angry, but that was an alligator role and coach wit for his media earlier today, and if you missed that, it's up at ESPN seven hundred. Sports dot Com did confirm that it was the rollover that caused the injury to Isaac, so he's now out for the year. Sam Heward, you know obviously Brandon Rose cam rising. So once again, Luke Patari, your fifth stringer is going to be your starter coming up against UCF. After Luke came in and I thought did a really really good job, provided a little bit of a spark, didn't he with that forty yard rush and a couple of nice completions. Obviously, the intentional grounding got a lot of attention. That was the right call, and I'm sure Luke would like that one back because ultimately he pushed him back and Cole didn't necessarily, he didn't leave it short.
Speaker 1: Cole Becker had the leg. He just pushed it.
Speaker 2: He just pushed it right, and you know, the air went out of the building. Senior night, they're ordering Ty Jordan are low. There is part of me that's always kind of had this thought in the back of my mind with Ti Jordan potentially being a senior this year, what that would have looked like. But you know, you can't exist in that space. Some cool moments having his family on the field and honoring them that way. So Utah football will close up the season coming up on Friday in Orlando. That's going to be a six o'clock start time. The TV will be on Fox. TV covers will be on Fox, and as far as the radio side, of course, we'll have you covered. Porter will get rolling at about two o'clock on Saturday for the pregame covers before he excuse me on Friday two o'clock on Friday for some pregame. It is a short week for Utah football as they travel to Orlando to take on UCF.
Speaker 1: Now, on the.
Speaker 2: Byu side of things, you know by was one of those teams this past weekend, along with Colorado, along with Alabama, along with old miss Good teams. In the driver's seat, you just handle your business and you are in with an opportunity to win a big twelve championship game, and now unfortunately the past two weeks after starting nine to zero, and at some point, I mean, we have to be honest here, at some point they were gonna get got. At some point all of the opportunistic, advantageous bounces were not going to go their way, and a couple of them didn't against Arizona State down in Tempe. And at some point Jake's mistakes we're going to come back to bite them. He has four games of multiple interceptions and that Picky threw down the stretch against Ashue, even though he was brilliant in the second half to bring them back, and even though for the most part he has.
Speaker 1: Been brilliant all year long.
Speaker 2: We saw Jake play last year and the thing was you could see the talent and the potential.
Speaker 1: It was just decisions.
Speaker 2: It was decision making from the quarterback position, and they have been able to survive. Would I perceive to be still the issue with Jake, and that is just you got to clean it up a little bit.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 2: There are several plays around the course of this year where I feel like Byu has been able to survive his mistakes and make up for them with special teams, touchdowns or defensive ca you know, Havoc plays. But the past couple of weeks they've not been able to survive his mistakes. So the scenario now for BYU is pretty simple. Unfortunately, they no longer only control their own destiny. They are a healthy favorite at this point. The line is thirteen point five over Houston coming up in Provo on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a late kick. Looks like that's gonna be about eight to fifteen.
Speaker 2: But they also need either Arizona State or Iowa State to lose. Iowa State closes out with K State at home, and Arizona State does have a rivalry game against Arizona on the road, so BYU at one point it looked like it was going to be BYU in Colorado, and part of me was pulling for that because I thought it would be a lot of fun to see that Iowa stayed is a slight favorite at home over K State to get that win. As of right now, K State's good football team, though, so we'll kind of see how that plays out, and then anything can happen. As we know here in our market, when two rivals go toe to toe. Arizona got Arizona State a year ago. It's a much different team at this point. Arizona State, even though they are the road team, their nine point five point favorite, So Vegas is saying that the odds are BYU will not get the help they need with either Arizona State or Iowa State losing. But it's college football and every weekend chaos ensues and pro football. This weekend chaos ensued all over the place. Speaking of pro football, we are your home of the NFL in this market. So when we say goodnight, we're going to turn it over to Bill and Craig Smith for the Craig Smith Coaches Show. Then when that's done, we will join Monday Night football in real time. It is the Harball Bowl with the Chargers and the Ravens doing battle. All right, before you break, I want to tell you about my friends at Advanced Window Products, the number one rated window company in Utah, locally owned. The sales and installation are an in house, so no middleman markup. This is Nate Orchard, Mayor of Saclic City, Jake Weber, just great dudes, good people.
Speaker 1: When you choose a business choose these people.
Speaker 2: You've got a lifetime warranty which is transferable to a new homeowner should you be selling your home. So if you're in the market now for new windows, you should call right away at eight oh one eight five zero ninety one hundred. That's eighth one, eight five zero ninety one hundred. But if you anticipate being in the market for windows soon, call today and get on the schedule, because you're going to lock in a savings of twenty five hundred dollars when you purchase ten windows or more so, beat the rush order today from the factory right to your front door in eight weeks or less.
Speaker 1: Here's the number, It's eight oh one eight five zero ninety one hundred. This the song Michael Scott.
Speaker 2: Tried to carry karaoko karaoke to at Jim's party he wasn't invited to and made it awkward. I feel like there's an office tie to this song.
Speaker 4: There is a couple office ties to Kenny Rogers for sure. You might be right on that one. They do the book signing thing too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the more I'm a fan of awkward humor. I know some people that cannot watch the office like Scott's Tots Oh, Dinner Party.
Speaker 1: Dinner Party is rough, bro, It's.
Speaker 4: A unique comedy where it is, like some of it, you'd really have to understand the characters, the relationships, the whole tie in. But man, it is awkward, and it's as awkward as it gets on television.
Speaker 2: Good luck paying for my TV with your zero dollar your salary, babe, which he breaks his plasma TV like with his dundee the four inch TV. I love it when he pushes it against the wall. He's like, it comes with the cool feature and he just like pushes it back against the wall.
Speaker 4: That's a top five episode for sure.
Speaker 1: It is hilarious.
Speaker 2: You got a little nard dog in there, which of course is always a good thing. All right, real quick, you know, I do not watch a lot of MLS. I only watch RSL. I was struck though, over the weekend because after some of the games are wrapped up, I noticed that the the Western Conference semi final between LAFC and Seattle was on television. LAFC, of course Los Angeles Soccer Club.
Speaker 1: It was in LA.
Speaker 2: And every time LAFC had a corner kick, the cameraman would pan over and be like, well, there's Colin Hanks again, trying to motivate everybody to stand up for the court. I'm like, you're in LA and the dude you got to tell people to stand up was Colin Hanks. Like that's the biggest that's the biggest celebrity available, Colin Hill is that it's Tom's kid.
Speaker 4: Not even Oh, I guess he's the So Tom has two kids, Colin is gone into acting. His other kid is like kind of an influencer, weirdo guy. Yeah, you could do better.
Speaker 1: Probly, what is Colin Hanks done?
Speaker 2: I don't even know. I just and by the way, it'd be one think if it was like, all right, well cool, Colin Hanks is here and just show him real quick. But that's the guy there was like motivating fans to stand up for corner Kicks. It was it was Colin Hanks. So, so, I guess that tells you where MLS is at at this He was in that thing You Do, which of course was produced by his dad and porter. Why don't you remind the folks our stance on NEPO babies here on the program?
Speaker 1: Can't win with them?
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, I'm out. I didn't tell you this prior to but I've I've had it. That's enough.
Speaker 1: You'll not hear me speaking into this microphone ever again or until next Monday. Where you h I'm going home for the holiday.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: My son is living back east. My family of course is back there.
Speaker 2: So coming up tomorrow and on Wednesday, it will be Porter and our guy Tony Tony Parks filling in for both Tuesday and Wednesday show. We're off Thursday and Friday. Then I will be back on Monday. So Porter, before we get out of here, what should our listeners know about your Tuesday show?
Speaker 4: Hey, you mentioned it, Tony Parks and I'll be in studio. Tim mcmannle stop by for the NBA Daily Assist. Well, we'll give you a Big twelve Power poll on a Tuesday. Kevin Reynolds of the Tribune will give us the latest on BYU in there Big twelve title. Chase. I invited Dave Fox in h You're not gonna be here, so he's probably not gonna even acknowledge it.
Speaker 1: Are you serious? Is that how he rolls?
Speaker 4: We'll see, we'll see if he's we'll see if he's listening tonight, if he's listening tonight and he heard this, he's gonna get offended and he'll text me back immediately. If not, I'll probably hear from him next week.
Speaker 1: I'll give him some guff tonight.
Speaker 4: Don't do it, don't do it?
Speaker 2: Okay, well not see, okay, fair enough. This is a test for day Fox, all right?
Speaker 1: And is that it for Tuesday show?
Speaker 8: For now?
Speaker 1: All right? No, that's fun.
Speaker 2: So make sure to give Porter and Tony your ears and I'll talk to you guys one week from today, so we will say good night. Special thank you to Steve Young, Tom Haberstrow, Richard Smith and doctor Chris Hill. If any of the sound you may miss from the show, head on over to the website. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. It's the ESPN seven hundred app, which is available in the App Store and the Google Play Store as well. Finally, for what we do in our space for four hours every afternoon, check out our podcast page, which to call the Drive with Spence. Check it's and that's available wherever you get your shows Apple, Google, Stitcher, Spotify, were there, subscribe, rate, review, say nice things, in the comments. Give us a good rating, and you will be eternally blessed for Porter. I'm spent saying tonight. Have a great Thanksgiving week, guys. I just want to say I'm grateful for all of you. If you listen to this show man, it means the world to us. So be good yourself, be good to each other. Porter Tony Tomorrow Wednesday. I'll talk to you next Monday. Catch all the action as always, right here on ESPN seven hundred