Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to castorly talk. We are here with another character interview. This one, I'm gonna warnier right now could get a little controversial because we are talking about one of the most complicated figures in all.
Speaker 2: Of Western Rosia history.
Speaker 1: We're talking about somebody who has a lot of fans, which we are I would say we count amongst those fans. He also has a lot of haters, many of which are some of our other favorites that hate this man for some very valid reasons. I am joined today by co host of the Imperial Cdit podcast, creator host of the Club, one of our best friends frequent collaborators.
Speaker 2: Contributed to Nicky Kumar is Bath. Hello, sir, how are you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm good, I'm excited, ready to talk about Jamie Stair. Of course I got, you know, my leanister red here. I made a real stake of not doing my dishes on time and I and I forgot I have a landhouse, linister, like it's like I'm gonna have that, and then you know it's kind of all fit and fit in the vibe and uh, you know, I screwed up, but to make up for it, I cut off my hands so you.
Speaker 1: Know, mm hmm around ballad the ballad and and being without your mug in in a way as being without a great tool, which I think is something that that Jamie has to get over, has to learn.
Speaker 2: Uh. Like Nicky said, and like you know, because you clicked on it.
Speaker 1: Today we're talking about I was gonna say the Kings Slayer, but I have a compulsion within me to always yell as loud as.
Speaker 3: I can get it.
Speaker 2: We're telling stories.
Speaker 1: We will we'll get into uh. I am really excited to talk about this character in general, but always with you.
Speaker 2: In our friendship.
Speaker 1: Talking about Jamie has been a consistent thing that's always come up. And like we talked about a lot of characters a lot, but this is one that I know as a character who's near and dear to use one of your faves, and where I want to start with him is something that's really more about you, which all of these are to a degree, which is why I want to make it really personal and not just the trivia of it. Because we can all go down his stats and believe me, he will too, and a lot of people. The story will of what he's done, but the why it connects with the person is always so interesting to men because I know you so well and we talk every day.
Speaker 2: One thing that has emerged with you that you love in a character is.
Speaker 1: I would say expertise and precision, and these are things that come up in There's a lot of ranged combatants that this comes up in. And while James he is not, you know, an archer, and so I can't do like a one to one with him and some other characters that you like in terms of their actual skill set.
Speaker 2: He is, you know, so effective at what he does and so deadly that he does.
Speaker 1: He is sort of like that ace in the same way that someone like cross Hair is who we've talked about in relation to him a lot, especially with what happens to cross Hair a little bit down the road, like spoilers for the bad Batch. You should all watch it. But in terms of you, where do you think that that stems from? Your student of history? You love character, you're a writer, but why this does it come from a sportsmantality? Does it come from having parents in the medical field?
Speaker 2: Like what do you think that is?
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're doing therapy session. I guess I guess you know it's interesting. I think there's a lot of facets that to your point about sort of precision expertise, and probably is a lot of like things I things I really love, like sports related like but even things like racing. Like it's why I love pod racing, It's why I like. I love the idea that you can It's why I love pilots in general. It's why I love the fighter pilots in any story, and especially in Star Wars. I love the idea that, you know, just being good at something is enough to kind of get you through. It's it's it's it's sort of this uh, you know, this thing of like I I love the the rebellion pillet resistance pilots who you know, just simply off the skill of you know, like a like a wedge antilities being like, you know what, one day I'd hit it again in a cockpit and I just lent for it and I and I was there from Adalan to Hexagal, you know, and like like I love that kind of thing. I love it. In the context of studying World War Two, I love the the aviators of World War two and and things they went through and again just as regular people who were like I guess this is what I'm doing. I'm getting in a B seventeen and I'm flying a big ass plane over you know, over Europe and all this, and so I love all that and I think that definitely is a big part of why like Jamie. But I think in the end it's probably something a lot more personal. And it's like I think, I think I love these characters who their exterior shows the world and gives the world an entirely different view of what they actually are. And and that's often like self inflicted, especially with Jamie's case, not never, he never helps himself in that in that type of scenario. But I but I always love these characters who who have this this sort of and again the range is very wide, like they're not all one to ones, but like outside of cross Hair Sniping likes that he's inaccessible as a person until until you start seeing and and then you get those lines of like of course the Hunter, Oh you're as bad as Hunter, Like no, I'm much worse when it comes to like caring for this child and like like it's stuff like that, and it's a it's a character like I even say Chopper, like like Chopper is insane as a droid, but he shows those moments that he cares like it's it's uh, it just goes, it goes somewhere differently.
Speaker 2: And and.
Speaker 3: I mean and other ones like I think of you know, I think of Snape. I think of Tim Riggins from from Friday Night Lights. Like these people who exterior and demeanor creates this version for people to perceive that is hiding something really either narratively like interesting or even just down to like just nice. Like I think something like really rich about those characters. And and I think Jamie is the one, like the big one in Game of Throne or sung Aboy some fire for me, who who does that kind of the I think I think his like twing the hardest on on all of that. What does that say about me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right, you're like, and uh so in my central wound is Yeah, I think I do have that though I think duality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think I have that to a degree where I think, like, I think I do wonder how I'm perceived by people and if it's accurate to who I like, know I am. I think I think I do want that. So I think I do really find myself connecting the characters who who exhibit that in very extreme verss in a lot of fiction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: I mean the we're a hyper aware generation, and we're a hyper aware type of guy. I think, just like the types of conversations you and I have and that our friends have, we're always very in like our perspective and how it clashes with maybe what's in vogue or how or how it doesn't and uh, you know, communal conversations or something that we get into a lot and we're both like very aware of like our place in groups good and bad. And I think that's something that Jamie definitely has, like right out of the get is that he is a character of contrast where you are in deared already so quickly to the starks that he comes around sort of challenging what you know. But there's something not right already, as if you ran as a reader about his classes with Ned, where you're like, why does it feel like Ned doesn't have the full like.
Speaker 2: Standing here, Like it does feel like there's something I'm not privy to.
Speaker 1: Like they do a great job of indicating a lived in history through this guy that people's ideas of him are so.
Speaker 2: It's widespread.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's like a realm wide opinion of him, but like everybody's coming out from these different angles, and it's interesting. And another character that came to mind when you were talking about that archetype is Wolverine in that he is literally known as in the way that Batman has like the Cape Crusader, the Dark Knight.
Speaker 2: Wolverine is the best there is at what he does, and what he does isn't very nice.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: I'm the best there is what I do, Bub.
Speaker 1: And he is the best there is a what he does, Bob. But he is also always the dad, the reluctant dad.
Speaker 2: He is always the girl dad.
Speaker 1: He's always Professor Logan, and he's always like these things of like, oh you really want love and love comes you are that you are that lone wolf. That isn't actually and and not that that's Jamie, but just like in the sense that you could be. You could simplify these guys down to bloodshed in a lot of ways, or their deeds and Jamie's ideas of what knighthood is and what knighthood has proven to be like in his career, such a fascinating things that we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: So your first exposure to him is I'm assuming the pilot of of got.
Speaker 3: Uh correct, mister Nikolai Custer Weldo and and his uh his portrayal of of Jamie is the beginning for me. And yeah, I think, you know, speaking of speaking of expertise, like you know, and then liking sort of like characters like I know you know this, but like I'm also obsessed with the King's Guard, so like just the idea of these like this little squadron of like the best of the best or so we're mentable, right, So so anyway, like him being a part of that was already a very like kind of cool thing to me. The armor is great, you know, very specific and and and yeah, I think like he's just he's just a very you know, through writing through performance, Like he's a very like engaging person, even even when you're like hating it, right, like because you know he's going up as you said, like he's going up against character we're already coed to to be write or die for. But then but then there's even moments in like you know, I'll think of the where Jory Jory Castle goes to like deliver something and Jamie's outside, and I just I always just I always think about the one, the part where he's like, oh yeah, he's a good lad and Jamie's just like like immediately immediately, just like I doubt it, and and just so it's like that is very engaging despite being you know, villain coded as as we're meant to meant to see him. But but I would say, my, my like real of Jamie came from from the books. And and you know that obviously the extent of his character we got in the show, as far as it lines up with the books, kind of went really like it was executed very well. But but for the book itself or the books themselves really, or what sort of catapulted my interest of character, and as I'm sure like for pretty much anyone who's read it, because you know, I don't know the I don't know the brown on the channel of like people who are listening who have or only show watchers or book and show readers or whatever. But for anyone who doesn't know the series of the novels are given through point of view chapters, and for first two books, ah, it's it's the world perceiving Jamie, and then it's it's only until the third book when he actually becomes one of the ps Every every book is or every chapter is titled as like the character it's showing and the I remember the first time you turn page Jamie. I was like, oh, okay, let's go, let's let's see what's going on. Yeah, so yeah, I think, you know, definitely the show was this, you know, this the opening of the door. But I really do credit, you know, mister Martin Felf for for being for you know, just telling the tale of the character so far as brilliantly as as he's done.
Speaker 1: Can I make an observation about him just in terms of like first impressions that I don't know quite how to articulate. It might sound like silly, but you'll know what I mean something about Jamie because my my first exposure to him was also the pilot. And for people that have been casually talked viewers that know Ken has read all the books, and Nicky's read all the books, and he's read all the books. I just finished the second book, so we'll we'll dive in and out of books and I don't you know, NICKI will be free to jump into that, but just for anyone that knows from this point on, if there's a book spoiler, you've been worn. But the the the thing that got me about him right at the pilot is that I'm a big character names person. I know you are, a lot of our nerdy friends are, especially in fantasy and sci fi. Something about Jamie as a name no offense to any Jamies.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't strike majesty, it doesn't strike tear. It doesn't, it doesn't sound badass tyrium a name alone, circe having mythological you know, allusion to it, like that, these are names even even you know Edard. You know, yes he's ned to his friends, but like Eduard, like these are names that it's like whoa even theods. But then he gives the deadliest and most like notorious, a name that sounds fitting of a little boy. And then we learn in his story how much like that early boyhood like experience is fundamental to him, like be made to feel stupid and and like in a lot of ways like Jamie, like it's a it's a it's a it's a childish sounding name to me. And again I don't want me to offend any Jamie. If you're a Jamie out there and you're fully man, I believe you. But like, it's just it evokes the child that, like Taiwand was never fully proud of every time I hear it in a way that most of the other names don't.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: It's not that your name has to be elaborate. John's not a fantasy name, but it just it doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 2: Do you have that at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I never super thought of it. The only thing that I think of is one of my friends would like refuse to call him anything else behind me that kind of Yeah, that kind of grags me up. He'd be like him LANs. But uh, yeah, Like I think George obviously, George is very intentional about his naming. So I think there is something about it being's name that we perceive, we know in our world as whether whether it's childish or not. It is both.
Speaker 1: Masculine and both masculine and feminine and very regular. Like you had you had probably three three four Jamis in your elementary school, you know I did.
Speaker 3: Right, And so like there's there's he's he's a really interesting character. Namer in that way, because yeah, you have people who really swing from like high fantasy into like your neighbor's kids, right, Like it's it's really crazy. I mean yeah, because you have like you you know, Barriston, and then you have your and then you have Sam sam Well, Sam Well. It's a little kind of you know, or Ed right or or Carl Tanner from Allan you know, get it right. Yeah, and U and I always I always marvel in Star Wars too, because Star Wars does this amazingly well. Obviously your your character is Luke right, and and then and Luke and Ben, you know, it's like and then uh, then you have you know, Brendon muff Will of talking. So yeah, you know, just ways to like swing it back and forth from like this this sort of high high thing to to the mundane. And I think it like informs the character in a really interesting way because I think something everybody likes to talk about, for both good reasons and overblown reasons, is how much of George R. Martin's work with A Song of Ice and Fire is about the subversion of of tropes and the subversion of of the fantasy you're familiar with, and so I think there is something cool of like the name not matching the best sword in the realm, right, like at least you know, there's something cool about that. And one one thing I love about the character. I remember had to write a like I in college, I took a game of cat and it was under the English department, so so it was very like literary based. And one of the professor made us like pick a passage from you know, one of the one of the I think, I think we had only read the first book at that point. We had to pick a pageant and like just close read a passage basically as this essay, and and like focus on words and stuff. And I think I gold because I knew I wanted to write about Jamie and it was like I always the scene was stuck with me because of it. And it's it's when they first show up to winter Fell, and you know you were talking earlier about how how many characters perceive him for being you know, the King Slayer or whatnot and or that that that guy. But the first person you see it from his brand, who is a child and maybe intellectually knows some things I don't know. The I can't remember the extent to which Brandon educated. But he's he sees Jamie and he sees Robert at the same time, and he's like, he's like, this fat loser is the king. He's like, like, that guy should be the king. That guy looks cool. That guy is what I when I imagine night, you know, like the Enzo Ferrari quote of you ask a you ask a child to draw a race. He's gonna read and like that that being like the thesis of a Ferrari is like, it's that for Jamie. He's like, you could go around, I'm the greatest person in the realm. It's going to be that beautiful blonde guy you know, on horseback and in shining armor, and and that already is now you know, a subversion of you know, brandspectations along with ours, right like this, this this guy who he thinks looks like the most noble guy in the realm, is going to put him out a window, you know, rather shortly. And so so yeah, I think there's just so a lot of like very going on with your point about the name, with your with the way he's being perceived by children, and then they eventually like get to.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, no, I love that the point that you made about George's subversions being overblown, but when they are there, you know, when you when you get them, because it's it's overblown like motivational, right, Like fans think that it's a it's about dunking, and it's like, no, it's about unpacking. It's about it's about, you know, giving different angles on it, and Jamie does.
Speaker 2: He's like one of the best examples of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're we're jumping around a little bit, and I do want to still get some of your more first impressions on him. But the you can make an argument, you know, especially as he's with Brion, that like some of the most knightly things that are happening at that point in the story are happening there, but they're happening with no witnesses, right, They're happening with no glory.
Speaker 2: They're happening with only this one person that can see.
Speaker 1: So that all that is just so baked into the character that even in this pilot you know, or or in the case of the novels, those first couple of chapters, you are immediately you know, nudged as a reader, as a viewer toward understanding that he is a villain ish at least for right now. There is you know, the the light matter of incest, which we've gone twenty three minutes up to this point. I think I only alluded to it once, and now we're gonna go out right talk about it. Uh that and then we have the uh the attempted burder of a child. But the other thing about that that early stuff, especially in the show, because you have these two incredible actors and Peter and Nikola, is that you do really early understand that he loves his brother. That is always a thing that like they use as like his earliest the earliest lifeline of the character is that then you get more as you go, but from the get you understand that, like there is something between these two.
Speaker 2: Even when they're separated.
Speaker 1: In the early stuff, as the war is breaking out, they're they're thinking about each other.
Speaker 2: They want to be able to call each other. He wishes he could call on him for this, and.
Speaker 1: Jamie is willing to start start a war over Tyrian safety, and and all of that I think is really rich right up front. So with it being in your first exposure to everybody, had a you feel about him as a member of the Lanisters as well, did did the idea of them being the villainous family, and as much as we could simplify it to that also intrigue you because you're not somebody for people that don't know you. You're not like a typically a villain's first guy. As much as I know you're not like an Empire guy. You're very much a rebel wiance guy.
Speaker 3: Right right, Yeah, I think that that's like easy thing to like say, right up is like team Stark baby, right, like like let's not let's not get it twisted, you know, like, yeah, I don't, I don't care what era. I'm waiting for the winter Wolves in a few weeks, like like I'm a team's starting, and so it's I think there's I think a lot of what comes down to the Lanisters as we know them in the show is estally, I mean, first and foremost, it is the cast. I think you'll never like for whatever I could play on anybody at any given moment in terms of like being like, oh yeah, these guys aren't so bad. It's down to it. It's down to the cast. And then I think, based off what we know about Benioff, and Wiss and how they sort of perceived the story as being more like political drama let's say, then, than like they brank that over the fantasy elements. I think is probably assumption at this point in how they look look at the series. I think just the people who aren't afraid of rule breaking, I think are are the ones who would be the most interesting to write in a in a political politician drama. So I think it's kind of like it's almost like it's never really about their side, and it's I find it. I find myself in a similar place with the Greens, like it's it's never about the cause they're fighting, but they're just good, Like they're like the actors are great and they're being written well. And I think I think that is really what it comes down to in the end. I don't I don't think there's a whole lot in especially while we're talking like first impressions. I don't know in season one to be like, oh yeah, the Lenisters are, you know, they they got their points, Like I don't think because even because even Tyrian, even Tyrian is a hire within the first season, right, like so you can you can spread him out because because he's very obviously like you know, he's a scene steeler, he's a ship he's a serious stealer. Like he's he's everything. And you know, probably I don't I couldn't like ascribe a percentage to it, but probably the vast like like a large percentage of the success of the show is funded Peter Dinklice as Lanister, right, Like people know I drink and I know things like you know, like like that's that that was on shirts and target, right, like and so so it's like, you know, I don't think it was ever a case of like being drawn to them by by ideology or whatever, but like just they're just so they're just so delightful and like like you know that that scene with Jamie and John when when he's like, so I heard you're going to the Nights one, it's just he's just he's just poking everybody, right, He's like, oh, there there's an eye. I will poke it just because I can't, you know, and and and again it's and it's just fascinating because it's like sort of what I said about this exterior projecting an exterior to hide the interior. It's like it's like Jamie. I feel like if Jamie and John just that and like had a good talk like as themselves, like they really get along, you know, like like if season eight Jamie has something to say to John, he does eventually. I think there's probably like some some like amount of like mutual respect. But it's very fun. It's very Jamie that's built this fortress around this sort of persona of what he needs to be right and and just that's just not a nice person in the end, and and yeah, like it's it's it's very fascinating, like and sort of like you said again in terms of like his his barbs with Ned, and it's like, yeah, we're trained to be on Ned's side, but like there's something, there's something that he's saying here that is it's not letting me like fully commit against him. I think that's that's that's really like the part of again not being on their side, but like just there's something about it. There's something, I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Think, and you could tell and you could tell it throws Ned. It throws Ned, and that that throws you, and and Sean Bean in the show plays it, it plays it so beautifully, which is I was like we should we should mention this too. The first one of these we did was the best Stanis. The second one we did was about Brien. In both of those, you know, they are obviously like everybody is younger on the page, you know, for all types of practical and real world reasons. The shows, you know, which I think is a decision everybody supports and showed support based on things that happened.
Speaker 2: Everybody is aged up quite a bit.
Speaker 1: But you know, you you having Jamie as as as your character and the topic today and everybody. By the way, I've said this the first two, everybody's gonna come back on the show and talk about other characters too. I'm just rotating through the one I associate with people the most everything. I'm not saying Nikki can only ever talk about Jamie. But given that Jamie is the first one where that really feels like a relevant point, I'm curious about your thoughts on that because it doesn't affect someone like Stantus as much. But Jamie's age up from the page to Nickelai's interpretation of the character is pretty significant in terms of how he plays. It's as significant as you know the Starks where they are boys and That's something that's been really hitting me reading Robin John versus having watched them, because I've watched the show through multiple times already, and so it's like, I feel like I really know Robin John. And then there are scenes with them in the in the text and with Jamie where I'm like, oh, this is a young man's thought. It happened with Ned and Kat too, like Ned and Catt and the Books one, Books one two shout out Ned Ned and Book one is having internal monologue of like maybe I'll go back and you know, have another kid with Kat, like you know, we could have another one, like you know, like then.
Speaker 2: That stuff's not in the show because everybody's aged up.
Speaker 1: So with Jamie there is like almost like you're not losing an element of like him being a young prodigy because they still talk about it, but it was further back in the show. So how does that How does that all play for differences and what Nikolay does with his take?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think Nikolay also has.
Speaker 2: A I think it didn't.
Speaker 3: I actually don't know if I thought about it too much because I feel like he, at least in the show still kind of like looks young enough it certainly in season one, like he's just charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's charming.
Speaker 3: Right, he still kind of looks young enough to be like, yeah, he's in his thirties or whatever, like, which I think is what it would see seventeen is that what seventeen plus seventeen or something or no less.
Speaker 2: Than that, I don't know, seventeen plus like eleven or something. I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I guess it's however, old John is so oh yeah, fourteen or fifteen, Yeah, so yeah, I could buy him as someone in his thirties probably at that point. Yeah. So yeah, It's like I don't know if if I really I don't know if it really caught me too much when I was watching it in terms of the age scaling, did it did catch you? Like about the way he's it's.
Speaker 2: It is almost like his isn't as jarring as the Stark Boys. But there are moments.
Speaker 1: In the uh, especially in the conversation with Kat, which is you know, staged a little bit differently, And there are things in the books that are like that, just you know, because you know that like sometimes he's writing a location where it's just like either we don't have the money for that, or you know, HBO wasn't there at that point for likes, you know, not like where they're at, like now with House where it's like bigger than it's ever been, or nine seven Kingdoms where it's more colorful, but it's.
Speaker 2: Ever been, and like the armor more book accurate and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So it's like sometimes replacing the scene in a little bit of a different circumstance and the cat one like instead of him being like in that like cage that he's in, like when she dresses him down and sit talks him, he's like in the cell at river Run like at the bottom and she goes down there, and like it's a longer scene and it's a little bit more of a snarkier version of the scene. And the sexual like trying to intimidate her sexually is a little bit to me. I fel like it was laid on thicker, like a younger guy would do. Like there are little moments like that where it's like, I think his shittiness and honestly, everybody's every thing is a little bit more amped up with page time, Like that's just the thing. But maybe it's because I'm as a as a longtime show watcher new reader. I'm so conscious of the changes that I am creating a younger guy in my head because i know that's happening with Aria, where I've had to put effort into not imagining Mazie because I have to remember a a younger girl and then be they physically describe her to be different than Mazy like our books. I think they say has like, well, they're being mean, but they say like she has like horse face, she has like a long head and everything, and it's like, that's not Mazy Williams.
Speaker 2: We know, very round in the head. So it's like that made me be like, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Something else of the show didn't do as much. It really only did it with Sanza. Is how like Rob and Sonza are very and thetally kidd uh yeah, and like they they they reflect the Tully side much heavier, and I think, yeah, I don't remember when they say it, but they're literally like Aria is very starky and very lean, right like yeah, And I think, again, not to delvi into a anything, but you know that sets her apart from from the other kid.
Speaker 1: You know what this is, This is just like just not about anybody, not anything important, but the thing that really throws me every time every time that I read Taiwan or Taiwan is mentioned, I picture Charles Dance because of course, and then I have to remind myself that book Taiwan is bald, and so that I have.
Speaker 2: To imagine a bald Charles Dance, And I'm like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting, I haven't read it in a while. But is he also like much like Brownier.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's like, yeah, more like physically imposing. Yeah, I don't know if he's like a brick shit out an He's like he's tall, dude, you embarrass me? Uh yeah, So like it hasn't come up too much. I'm curious once I get into book three and we get more into him being out about his POV how it's gonna play.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for that, but.
Speaker 1: Moving past sort of like your your initial stuff, you're there, you get Nikolay, he's making these great choices.
Speaker 2: I love that you brought up the moment with the jury. Uh.
Speaker 1: Similarly in the John scene that you brought up it's the uh, well, it's only for life, like it's just like the little the little barbs, like you said, because he can, because he has, he's exerting some control because he's such an insecure being.
Speaker 2: I want to jump ahead. I'm gonna throw out the scene.
Speaker 1: You don't have to talk just about that scene, but just sort of like I think the bathtub scene is kind of the Banner Hall of Fame thing for like revealing the truth of I'm not gonna say the best in the series, but definitely a top moment for this character and for any of them. Of you thought you knew, well, now I'm gonna tell you, what are your thoughts on everything that you learned later and whether it's that seem specifically or just in general, and how it informed your approach to the character because you are such an appreciator of that history and this series we touched on a little bit with Ned gives you so many people who believe one thing, and it's not like what they believe is wrong, but their their context for it is so missing. How does that play for you as as somebody who likes the character and as somebody who's just interested in the history of these nights and what their honor means because Jay, because Ned is there saying I have honor and Jamie is like okay, but he doesn't say it in these words, but his it's his presence I think makes Ned uncomfortable because it forces Ned to ask like what would I have done right? And nobody wants to have to have that conversation with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, like uh, it was just we sort of like mentioned that scene a lot, but like just that that one question of what would I be more honorable if I stayed him in the stomach instead of the back, like you know, just just being able to sort of like serve that up. And anyway, Yeah, to go to go to the bathtub, the famous uh Jamie scene. I think actually I do have to wind back a little bit to the chapter you mentioned, which, in a lot of ways actually is the one that stays with me more of uh when Catlin goes to talk to him at the end of Class Kings before before letting him or releasing him. I think that was the that was the one where it was like, oh, okay. I think George probably knew he was bringing Jamie Hn as a POV character and was like, I'm gonna set the table here. And I think actually, for as much as the bathtub is is the clear breakthrough that that scene initially in the cell Is. I think like that was the one that really sort of started started my like looking at him because it sort of brings up these the same ideas and you know, just getting into the contradictions of his life, right Like I think I think it's at that that point with Catlin where he does the whole like there's so many rules. Man, you gotta you gotta obey the gods, you gotta obey the king, you gotta obey your father, you gotta be true to your family. And it's like what happens when they're all mushed together and and they're all, you know, being being honest to one, being honest to the other, and and again it's all filtered. It's it's just it's kind of the most perfect exchange Jamee dialogue, at least for the character at that point, because it's like it's it's truth with just like a slap and like he's he's also you can just like imagine him on the ground, like this physical representation of him just being like I'm gonna tell you the truth, but I'm also taking swipes at you, like like you know, he he he is sort of like twisting the knife on mad he is he admits he flung Brand out the window, like he's he is trying to hurt her, but he's also just revealing this this core truth of his character, which is he he's probably saved more people than anyone else in the series, right like he is he has directly I don't know, I don't know what the population is, but we'll say like a million, like just yeah, he's saved so many people.
Speaker 1: And and he is friends, friends and enemies like he saved he saved this, you know, all the forces of Robert as well, like including her all.
Speaker 2: So it's like yeah, very a lot.
Speaker 3: And like again the great, the great contradiction, and like I don't think I don't think we get the full again that this is saved for this bathtub scene you brought up, so like we don't get the full extent of the truth, the truth of it, right, Like we don't know Aris was gonna blow the whole thing up at this at this point, but like we do, we are getting the you know the sort of like just the the sort of affirmation of what did was heroic, like it's it's it's it's true. Like in the end, it's like that is something you would say a hero did play the evil king to to to save millions. And and again it's it's that sort of like sense of kind of like cosmic injustice that he has where he's like, you know, he's he's like, I'm I think he's talking about Tyrian or something. He's like, I'm I'm loved for something I didn't do and I'm hated for something the one the good thing I did, or something like that, Like I think he says that to her at that point. And and again just and George does this other thing so brilliantly in the scene where it's like, uh, just again, to feed the to feed the subversion, I think there's there's something where it's like he says something just atrocious to Catlin and she's like, is there anyone as beautiful and vile as this man? It's like it's just again that same thing of like the the probably at this point, Jeoffrey is the biggest and public enemy number one, but like Jamie's at this point not far down the list. And so just to again like being I'm able to escape the fact that he looks like somebody who should be French charming and and is so the opposite. So anyway, I do think I do think of that clash of King's chapter first. I think that's where you also get the.
Speaker 1: There are no men because there are two, because there are two, because you're because you're talking about the last one, which is the last one, because the one before, like when she goes down and he admits what happened. He's also denying the the catspot dagger stuff and she denied, he denies it, and she believes them, and like she's almost conflicted about believing him. And that's sort of like you're like, oh, like he he's and you believe him too, Like he's giving so much that like, and.
Speaker 3: He's also corroborating Tarrian. It's also corroborating Tyrian side and ruining Bailish in her head, right because because she's like, why would Peter lie about this? Like you know, so it's really just throwing a again, like he has he has no reason to be dishonest. It's another just fascinating aspect of the character where he's just like he owns up to his nonsense, like even when she's him about like is Jeoffrey R. Child he's like, come on, lady, Like you wouldn't be asking if you didn't know already, and like he owns up to it. He's not not playing that game. And it's it's a very their dynamic. Yeah, their dynamic is super cool in that and in those chapters where they interact. But but yeah, I guess you know, just to go go to your like original point, I think to get the full story of what happened in King's Landing that day was it's almost like vindicating because you're probably even as a show, you're probably starting to like this guy more as you're you're watching him. Just get the crappy out of him. He's already lost his hand and and it's it's just so perfectly placed in the in the pace how supposed to feel about Jamie because it's, you know, he's so broken, similarly to being in the cell. He's got nothing left to lose, Like like I don't I don't need to play this this this uh this game game of through it, Like I I don't we did it. He's like, I don't need to do I don't need to be a bailish or a varis like my my infrument is not that valuable in the end, like it's it's just me, like and and I think he has somebody who, you know, he learns to you know, trust, somebody like Brion and and it's sort of confronted with this very different type of presence in his life. And and yeah, it reveals it just compels him to to be that way. And and there's probably like a lot of different ways to look at it, whether it's like delirium from the pain or whatever, or the situation and whatever, or just like the need for this new person did not He's like, I can't have her think of me the way the way everyone else does. Yeah, and I don't know which I assume that's up for debate, like which which degree you think is the stronger one, But it's it's super fascinating, and it end to end that to end that sort of thing of like you know, stop calling me that my name is Jamie. Like it's just this like unburdening of the character this this this again like fortress he built around himself to appear one way. He now wants to be something else, at least to this person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's it's uh, it's beautiful it's beautifully said, It's a beautiful moment, beautifully acted. You know, I was gonna ask earlier when coming into this, I was gonna ask you what your favorite acting moments are from Nicola, And then I was like, it's kind of a useless question one because he's incredible always.
Speaker 3: Actually, actually, I think I do have an answer.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want to hear it, I really do.
Speaker 3: We're fast, we're fast forwarding. But it is it is the end of season seven when he walks away with Circy. Oh, it's great, it's great, like like that scene. Oh, it's and of course it's him and Elena that I think that I think might be a top fiver of the series. But because it's so her based, uh, I think, I think. I I think of the season seven ending a lot, and when when it came on, like I remember, like like literally had chills because I think because we were so like on the edge of what we knew was gonna happen. I mean, we were quite quite what we knew could happen, so like there, yeah, there was like real peril in that moment. I remember, I have no idea what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I flinched when the Mountain stepped to him. I was I literally thought it was on. I did not know what was going to happen in that scene. It was terrifying. No, it's a great moment that.
Speaker 3: Joe Otti's cooking and and and just his I don't believe you Andy, and he leaves, Oh my god, Oh yeah, I believed literally blew me away.
Speaker 2: I will also give a shout out to uh nightig Bread.
Speaker 1: The final season is uh beautifully acted by both of them, by everybody who was.
Speaker 3: If they had all died, they had all died in that battle, that would have been.
Speaker 2: Would have been a great ending for them.
Speaker 1: Uh. We could dive into like a thirty minute side tant litigating endings.
Speaker 2: We'll table that. I think I want to.
Speaker 1: I think an endings revisited, UH side discussion should be done at some point. But just because we're trying to keep all these short, do you have or shorter by our standard? Do you have uh Jamie highlights that you think are more like personal your fandom, Like Jamie highlights that that are not necessarily like the things that people would write down for him, but just like things that stick out for you, even comedically or even with other people, like what are the moments that you go back to the most with them. I think it could be on the book too. It could be something that the show didn't do, if you want to do that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's probably It's it's kind of like sad because I probably don't remember the books as well in that regard.
Speaker 2: I think you've got you've got time, I know, right, I know there's plenty of time to revisit.
Speaker 3: There's there's a moment at the end because they're all going to be show. Probably I'll give the book one again. Sorry for Sorry for the spoiler again, it's been out a while. There's at the end of Feast for Crows there's a moment where, because so much of that book is him building sort of the doubt, the fracturing of his relationship with Circey. Right, they literally he literally gets out of town because they're not things are not going well between them, and uh, there's the moment when she's taken in by the high Sparrow and stuff, and she sends a letter to him to like come help her. He's like, Jamie, I need you. There's nobody else who can do this. Nobody else. I trust nobody, like nobody like you. And he puts the letter in the fire, and that's that's kind of how his arc ends, like like that's how his story ends. For Fees for Crows, I think is such an underrated novel and so many storylines and on ship like that where it's like it's like oh oh oh, like like it's things that like if you can imagine them in the show, they'd be like holy crap, like like the Dornish plotline ending with fire and blood like that, like so many like mic drop endings, And that was kind of Jamie's mic drop ending for that book is is this Circe pleading? And he's just like and he's like, any three is it in the fire? So that's that's one book moment I really think about a lot and show. Ones that really cracked me up are him Andarrian reminiscing about their cousin. I think the.
Speaker 1: Like what is the names like Ormond or something or or well I don't know, or well I think because.
Speaker 3: Ville it could be. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's a really smash one day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their gold together, they're great together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jamie. The training sessions I think about a lot and and uh, man, yeah, just everything about him and Brion, especially especially what he gives her keeper. I think about that a lot and and just sort of yeah, I remember season four opening with that the milking dice, and and then that scene with Taiwan giving him the sword, and he's kind of just like, you know, like it's it's just so many great things happen with him, in particular, just the sort of melting away of his no world right, like he's it's like, yes, yes, he he was always Dad's precious son, even when he let that down, and that really just begins to dissipate, you know, through that season, and so like that. It stuff his relationship with Surc, and I guess the the Terrian relationship doesn't get the complications that the book gives it it. They leave it pretty pretty sweet. I think that scene too, when he lets him out and then yeah, I know, I know you said we'll do. Man, I'm probably leaving off so many things that I shouldn't be, but I I even though he's not in it. I I sobbed like a baby when Brian is filling out his pages.
Speaker 1: Oh well, when I said, I don't want to do ending discords. It's not because I don't want to.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 1: It will take so long to talk about the Brion romance and and the show having it and then did they walk okay back back?
Speaker 2: Is it try? Is it toxic? Is it? It's just so much But that, separately from what led to it, that is a perfect scene.
Speaker 3: I mean, like just that much.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you brought it up because it I hate to get the little bastard, well, I was gonna I hate to give the little bastard any credit. But the the Jeoffrey with the book is maybe my favorite Geoffrey scene. And it's a great Jamie scene too, of uncle.
Speaker 3: It's like it's just not only not only is it so mean and and Jamie has the perfect answer, right, like, man, there's still time and uh and and not only is that always funny, but it's it's especially funny because now Jeoffrey has technically spoiled both spinoff shows, but yeah, openly and specifically yeah, and and doing so gleefully right, Like it's almost like he knows, he's he knows these pissing people off outside of the characters, He's like it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Catching up on HBO. Are you looking back at the original show exactly exactly. It's it's brutal, it's brutal, but.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like pairing, pairing those scenes together, was it like in your when you in your head or if you get a very clever edit of you know that kind of stuff. I I love that ending. You know, again, there's a lot of there's a lot of messy metal ground and and some things that I think have value. Yeah, yeah, I think I think there are ways you can look at the way Jamie's ark ultimately ends with him in the world, but and that that have merit where when maybe or you know, maybe there were other more satisfying ways, but just at least that moment for because it's also such a mass moment for Brion to write those pages. That's like therapy for her, right like two to unburden that I mean again talking about great actors, like the way Gwendolyn does that same with the tears in her eyes doing like it's just you know, it's so it's kind of like I really love that the show when it's like here's the last word on Jen, I love that. It's a beautiful scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's to tie it in with you know, your note.
Speaker 1: The threat of this whole conversation has been perception, right, and how he is a creature who I feel we're just like other guys in this world. I feel like his own father is obviously entirely motivated by a perception.
Speaker 2: Turian's whole life is kind of like that damon.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Years prior in House of the Dragon, I've talked a lot about how he is a character that's so aware of his role and where he fits and how he doesn't fit, and what his brother thinks of him, and that Jamie, even though he isn't around to know it. When when it's all said and done, you know, Brion, she she called it.
Speaker 2: She called it like she saw it.
Speaker 1: She spoke truth and the facts are there, But like she doesn't say, like the kings Slayer, you know, was a sister efing this that who died because he couldn't pick a side. She keeps it at he died in service of protecting his queen, like and that it's a very just like it's generous, it's it's a compassionate read. It doesn't betray things that she was told in confidence, but it indicates Uh, it's not neutral. It's not neutral, it's it's an act of care. Like it's just uh, but it doesn't have to overplay its hand, you know, the people that know. No, you know, I'm sure she can. I'm sure she can talk to Tyrian about him if she wants. But those are those are things for her.
Speaker 3: I just read it as sort of like for her, it's like a forgiveness flash, like self forgiveness thing. That's how I always twik m. Whereas like I'm gonna unburden that experience for me. But it is also just again fascinating, Like you said, like Taiwan Lanister's only thing is legacy, right, And it's like, in the end, how will Tewyn be remembered? And I'm gonna say probably, I doubt with what's gone on, there's too much to remember about it. Like I don't think. I think you know, people will be like, oh yeah, Taiwan Lanister. But also you know, we had white Walkers and then this lady blew up the seat with her dragon. But Jamie Lanister's legacy is in pages of this sacred book and will be that for the generations to follow. As long as wester Ross still stands and Kingsguard still exists, like the the the the commendations and feats of Kings will be remembered and and and again. Like yeah, like Brian, Brian made the choice to do that in a way that isn't slanderous or anything, but is is yeah, just straight up, straight up honest. I I just I love the little things when she's like he like completely routed them like the undefeated Army of the Like she's she's like even hyping him right like and it's and it's like it's a really like beautiful thing of forgiveness, I think in the end, and and just sort of like she felt like she she she kind of owed that much at least. And I always laugh at one of the memes around that time when the finale aird and you know, obviously a lot of people had a lot of things to say, but but one of the one of them is her writing in the book and then it's the screenshot from me and girls like this, So yeah, I uh yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: The point that you brought up about Taiwan, about Taiwan with Legacy, because Taiwan's intro scene is a Jamie scene, and in the show it's played so perfectly. It's when you get one of my favorite line deliveries, maybe ever, I was gonna say, a Game of Thrones and maybe in anything ever television or film, which is big knife in hand.
Speaker 2: There's not an opinion, it's a fact, like.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be That's gonna be under tombstone.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it might because Jamie really thinks he has something there. He thinks he got dad.
Speaker 1: When he's like, so the line does cons and Taiwand is like, don't you ever try to get snarky with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't you ever?
Speaker 1: And and it, but it puts Jamie under the thumb, like really early in the story of what that means. And obviously the books are not complete, so if we just take it as show endings, it's like, what is Taiwan's legacy the mad Well, you know, they'll probably call Denaris the mad Queen, but like unfortunately, but you know, you had the crazy incession, his daughter who blew up the stept and was an insane by the end, basically terrorist of a tyrant woman with a zombie protector. So like, horrible mark on your legacy. You have the controversial, but you know, we'll probably be doing better going forward hand of the king's son. But you hated him and he killed you, so that's a mark against legacy. The only good thing that you're left with really to your name is the son that you thought was an idiot who really cared about knighthood and only ever had knighthood either weaponized against him for his own reputation, or was a pawn in Tywan's machinations, like Aris using Jamie's knighthood to fuck with Taiwan, you.
Speaker 3: Know, being a politics of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like Jamie's knighthood was always tied to like, oh it was just nice knighthood, but his position on the King's guard was always a an era of like obviously he earned it by skill and he probably would have gotten on anyway, but like, was I just named here to bring ruin to the house And that is finally shaken, I think by the end, and that there's no mention of him. He stands on his own. You know, do you know how hard it is to be your own man?
Speaker 3: When you're telling me, man.
Speaker 2: A new meme has truly been born, and it is we're gonna get mileage out of that one. Yeah, I think my last question, oh go ahead, yeah, the last question.
Speaker 3: No, I was I was really just gonna say, like, you know, there probably will have to be Jamie Part two, because yes, I think there's there's so many like family dynamics that or and like just the reason of why for so much of him, you know, like he only really went to kings Landing to stay with Mercy, like he probably would have been forced to stay in Casterly Rock. But you know, the very is very I don't know even know what we're to use for it, what adjective to use for their relationship, because again, you know there's where it's like it's one of the more honest love affairs in in the the universe of Westers, and so it's like.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yet whatever you want to call it. Because again in that Catlan scene where where he's like he's like, you know, I've only ever been with my sister, but honorable Ned went behind your back, like like there's just always there, always, you know, there's always an angle. So like there's a lot to talk about. Still, I don't want I don't want people to think we got like we are these like nitty gritty.
Speaker 2: Character.
Speaker 1: The way they are, We're definitely gonna have to do a part two. You're right, there's so much, there's so much to dig into with just like his changes. There's stuff that like, there's thoughts that I had that like we just can't back into an hour of like how how uncomfortable it is to see especially like in the show when he's back in the King's Guard Gold, especially like for the wedding and stuff like it just looks, you know, like short haired Jamie and that armor. He looks like a prisoner, even though he's walking around with power. Again, he looks like a prisoner, Like it's such a weird dynamic when he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does. He's been changed.
Speaker 1: Well and well and on a real one. And then well then we'll close on something fun. I'll think of something fun while you're talking, because I asked this to Andy about Brian and it was and ended up with a funny answer. I asked Andy, what challenges you about Brian? You know you love this character so much, what really challenges you? And Andy's answer was book Brand's kind of dumb, which I think is a great edd Like she's just academically written to be not as smart and capable in some ways, as as as Gwendolen's. Is this something that rubs you the wrong way about Jamie, like in a real way, or something that you're like, come on, man like or or or something that that.
Speaker 3: This is certainly a book thing. I can't remember the extent to the show. Does this? It probably does, but I just don't remember. So I'm gonna angle it more towards the book. He has as of yet in the book accepted it was the wrong thing to try to kill a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you may have.
Speaker 3: You may have watched the episodes more recently than I have, because obviously the premiere of season eight as with an all timer, great brand Jamie kind of like Showdown with the the Fergies London Bridge mean version of That's so, I don't remember if they really if he's really like sorry man, I think he does. I think he doesn't.
Speaker 2: He apologizes, I don't remember what he says, but he does apologize.
Speaker 3: But I feel like in the books, in the books he's gone on this like very significant character arc slash reveal slash whatever is like the right word for it. But he doesn't. I don't if he's really gotten to the place of like, yeah, like it's like, yeah, he's lying about it. He owes up to it, but I don't think he's quite calculated that it was wrong to try to kill the kid. But then you know, I don't I don't know, Like the currency with which people do things in this world is different, right, Like I think that's you know, the one of the things that always bugs me about sort of the way Danariss looked upon when she like cutes Harley's it's like she didn't do anything someone else wouldn't have done, Like someone else would have done it the exact same thing she did it with the dragon. And you know, the terms of the terms of you know, processing and negotiating and making you know, what people are willing to forgive are very different in Westero. So maybe maybe this this guy can't even imagine that, you know, I had kill him because you know he's gonna reveal a secret, right. But I would say that's probably the most challenging thing is just for as much as all the good he does, you can't really escape the fact that right right off the bat he tried to kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's not great, uh, but it does make for great TV, and I think that he's why a lot of people tuned in for the next Is it.
Speaker 3: One of the best, Is it one of the best pilot it kind of has, it has to be.
Speaker 2: It has to be.
Speaker 1: If not the best, it's insane. And his line delivery is perfect. Of things I do for love is perfect? Right, Last question, just to be on on something light and and again unique to you. What is a Jamie Lanister uh, piece of merchandise that does not exist that you would like to will into existence? What is something that he has that you're like, I would wear that, I would cosplay that. I want that prop. I want the thing because I I you know, my mind for Jamie is very easy, but I think it already exists. Is that I would just like to have the gold hand like as like a shelf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one. Hm hmm. I really I really like him when he's in Lanister arm. I think there's something really cool about that look in particular. So maybe if I would going on a cosplay angle, that'd be kind of cool. But then I just like a Lanister soldier maybe, and maybe that's less great. I think I think there's one thing that I do think is kind of cool again, and in sort of the way and where you can say, like maybe this is a reclamation as opposed to like keeping it, uh, sort of like tied to someone who we don't like. But I'd like that he uses I like that he uses the other Widow's whale. I don't know if he renames it, but I like that he's sort of when Jeffrey is dead, he sort of and he gives it was keeper way he takes that one, and and there's something there's something in the end that I kind of like about. You know, he knew that sort came from and it sort of felt right being with somebody who kind of understood the you know, at least had had a respect for the Starks, you know, and and sort of took it away from being Jeoffrey sword. So so now thinking kind of thinking maybe that sword would be cool because I think they made like an oath keeper.
Speaker 1: But there's oath keepers and there's book oathkeeper.
Speaker 2: I think Andy has book Oathkeeper.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's a great point.
Speaker 3: I like the ruby pommel also on that sword. It's very cool.
Speaker 2: It's sick. No.
Speaker 1: I love that point too, because it's like cat it's not like him and Cat were close, obviously not, but like him and Brion fulfill something.
Speaker 2: For her or try to, they spiritually try to do right.
Speaker 1: And so that day that yeah, like at least you know that there's like that, the remnants of Ice are carried with you know, people doing their best, you know.
Speaker 3: Versus and and then he knights he knights Brian with that sort knights Brian. So so maybe I'll go with that. I don't know. I will not call it Jeoffrey's sword Widow's will, but I would think of it as jas sword that he united Brion with.
Speaker 2: And also not for nothing, not for nothing, this could be its own episode and maybe we'll you know what, let's hold me to this.
Speaker 1: If you're watching listening, we at some point should get Ken and maybe whoever else wants to come and do a group discussion about how awesome it would be if we had a robust like peak Hasbro Star Wars, Ice and fire finger line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the fact that we don't like them have like are we talking like black series level?
Speaker 1: Like well, I'm talking like black Well black series level right now, which would be you know, bleak, Like.
Speaker 2: I mean, like give me eight Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Now that there's that many characters, like, there should be a Jamie throughout the seasons. You should be able to get Jamie red Armor with widows Will, Jamie King's Guard, Jamie Leather, fatigues, Jamie mud Jamie.
Speaker 3: This is if this is yeah, if this is high, if this is high like High Tide Star Wars action figuring, we probably have Jamie like behind the scenes, Jamie with the fake prosthetic and his real hand. We probably have all all, as.
Speaker 1: You said, behind the scenes. So you said behind the scenes. I will close this by saying, and then then we will go. I will close this by saying, the hit clip of Peter and Nicola I dancing into the trial is one of the best clips of anything.
Speaker 2: It's so so joyful doing the little dances and everything like it is. It's the best. It's the best.
Speaker 1: Yeh that I can't wait to talk about Tyrian on one of these Yeah, this has been so much fun, man. And then yeah, like you said, we'll have to do a part two. I'll have to do some Jamie follow ups. If anybody has specific things that you're like, oh, you know, there's so much Jami stuff. You should have talked about this, or you should talk about this, or talk more about his battle highlights, talk more about his career.
Speaker 2: Trust me, we want to and we will.
Speaker 1: Leave those in the comments. Nicky's links will be down below. This is the Fast Plugs version. Nicky's links are down below. My links are down below. Ken's links are down below.
Speaker 2: Boom, there you go. You don't care about any of that. We're gonna get right out of here. Thank you so much. I have been all the in. This has been Nicky, and we will catch you next time. Right here, I'll cashually talk about