Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Okay, so if your Google Analytics dashboard feels less like a useful tool and more like just this overwhelming wave of data hitting you, well you're in the right place today. Yeah, we're not just going to read off reports. We want to give you the tools, the actual techniques to turn all those numbers that raw traffic data into real actionable business decisions you can use like right away exactly.
Speaker 2: And our deep dive today it's really based on this idea of interpretation. We've got this comprehensive guide focusing on that because ga, I mean, it's way more than just counting visitors, right is grabbing all these details where users are, what systems they're on, how they found you, you know, their traffic source. It maps their whole journey on your site, and crucially, it measures if you're hitting your business goals, your conversion to your sales. That's the core.
Speaker 1: But okay, before we jump into the really cool stuff, the traffic insights, the sales strategies. The sources we looked at were super clear on this. If your basic setup is wrong, your analysis later on it's pretty much useless totally.
Speaker 2: You build on sand the whole thing falls down.
Speaker 1: So we have to talk about these like non negotiable first steps. The initial setup.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, first one seems simple, but wow, it gets messed up a lot. The time zone setting.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And look, this isn't just like a personal preference thing. It's fundamental for the business side. You absolutely have to set that time zone to match where your business actually operates or maybe even more importantly, where your main customers are actually buying from.
Speaker 1: Okay, so walk me through that. Give us a concrete example, like what happens if you get that wrong? What's the damage?
Speaker 2: All right, imagine this. You're sitting in California, right, but all your marketing, your ads, everything, it's targeting the UK market. Okay. Now, if your gaview is still stuck on Pacific time, well, your reports for timing your market they're basically junk. Joe Dell, Well, think about London's peak buying time. Let's say it's I don't know, ten am to noon over there in GA dashboard set to Pacific time. That's going to show up as two am to four am.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you look at that report, you might think, huh, people are buying in the middle of the night and then you shift your ad bids, your campaigns completely wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, based on totally misleading data exactly.
Speaker 2: But if you set the time zone correctly to London time, you actually see those critical mid morning buying peaks, You see the real behavior.
Speaker 1: Okay, that immediately changes things like admitting, maybe even staffing if you have support. Got it? So what's the second absolute must do? This one sounded serious like data integrity implications.
Speaker 2: Yeah, data integrity is key, and that means the backup view. Seriously, this isn't just nice to have, It's mandatory. Anyone developer, business owner, or marketer, anyone who's going to touch their GA data needs to immediately create a second view, one that's totally untouched, unfiltered, just the raw data feed.
Speaker 1: But why, like why the big rush? Can't you just, I don't know, undo a filter if you mess up.
Speaker 2: No, that's the critical point. You absolutely cannot undo it. The fundamental rule here is once you apply a filter or exclude bot traffic, or make any kind of configuration change to a gaview that original raw data for that period, it's changed permanently.
Speaker 1: Permanently.
Speaker 2: Wow, yep. So if you accidentally filter out, say ninety percent of your real mobile users, or maybe some experimental filter totally messes up your conversion tracking that historical data, it's gone forever.
Speaker 1: Unless you have that clean, untouched backup view.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You need that raw data safe. It lets you test filters, make changes in another view, and always have the original to go bear against or fall back on. It's your safety net.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a really strong warning data safety net. I like that. So let's assume we've done our homework. We've got clean data. It's time synced correctly. Now, strategy, this is where it gets interesting, right, moving beyond just charts and integrating GA with actual business frameworks. You mentioned the seven piece of marketing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. The real power comes when you overlay this data onto established models like the seven p's. We can look at say place, market and location strategy, and people's service and user experience to see how the data drives real decisions.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's start with place, so figuring out where our visitors are coming from. But more than that, like how good are those visitors? Comparing volume versus actual quality?
Speaker 2: Percisely, we dive into the geographic reports. Let's say we're looking globally, the data probably shows the US is number one and just sheer volume, right, most clicks, most traffic makes sense. But then maybe we look deeper and we see, let's say Canada, maybe Canada is only I don't know, fourth or fifth in terms of raw traffic volume. Okay, but when we look at the e commerce conversion rate or eCCr, Canada is consistently ranked second highest.
Speaker 1: Whoa hold on ACCR. That's the percentage of visits that actually buy something, right exactly, So Canada's fourth in traffic but second in buying rates. That's a pretty big disconnect. What's the strategic move there?
Speaker 2: Well, the insight is clear, Canada isn't just traffic, it's high quality traffic. It's a high potential market. So while the US needs maybe the most basic attention just because of the volume, Canada shows this amazing efficiency.
Speaker 1: So you don't just chase volume there.
Speaker 2: Right, The action is probably to invest in optimizing the experience for Canada. First, maybe tweak delivery options for them, offer some specific local deals, capitalize on that high conversion intent they already have, rather than just trying to pump more raw traffic.
Speaker 1: Yet okay, so prioritizing quality over quantity in that specific market makes sense. Now, what if we drill down. Let's say we focus just on the US. How can GA help decide between, say, spending more on online ads versus maybe opening a physical store somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the domestic drill down often gives you these seemingly conflicting signals, which is actually useful. So we might find, for example, California brings in the most overall traffic, huge numbers like ninety seven thousand visitors, eight hundred and fifty five transactions, massive deman Okay, sounds great, but their conversion rate is only say zero point five to one percent, pretty low. Then you look at Texas, maybe less overall traffic, but they're conversion rate significantly better, maybe zero point eight one percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, So high volume, low conversion in California, medium volume, high conversion in Texas. Where does the money go? That seems tricky, it does.
Speaker 2: But the data suggests two different actions. For immediate online ad spend, you probably invest more in Texas. Why, because it converts efficiently. You get a better return on your ad dollars.
Speaker 1: Right now, Okay, boost the Texas online budget.
Speaker 2: But if the discussion is about opening a new physical store, you might actually choose California, maybe San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Well wait, why if the online conversion is lower there?
Speaker 2: Because that massive number ninety seven thousand visitors signals huge underlying consumer interest just raw demand. The fact they aren't converting online as well as Texas might point to other issues, maybe logistics, maybe trust. Maybe they just prefer to buy in person for that product. A physical store could solve that.
Speaker 1: Ah. I see, So the high visitor count justifies exploring the physical potential even if online isn't perfect yet, and the high conversion rate in Texas justifies immedia digital spending.
Speaker 2: There exactly two different strategies, two different investments, both informed by digging into the same report but looking at different metrics.
Speaker 1: That's really smart separating those decisions. Okay, let's shift gears to another. People thinking about service user experience, maybe testing if our help content like FAQs is actually helping.
Speaker 2: Right, this is a great place to use segmentation. We want to know if all the effort we put into making clear store policies or detailed faques is actually useful, or if it's maybe just confusing people or turning them off.
Speaker 1: So how do we segment for that?
Speaker 2: We create two segments, converters people who actually bought something and non converters people who visited but didn't.
Speaker 1: Buy got it, and then we look at how those two groups behave specifically on say the FAQ page. What are we looking for? What's the red flag?
Speaker 2: We're looking closely at bounce rate and exit percentage for that specific page, comparing the two segments. If you see that the non converters have a really high bounce rate, let's say, seventy seven point nine to one percent, and a high exit percentage maybe sixty five point three yer percent on that FAQ page.
Speaker 1: U huh?
Speaker 2: Come compared to the converters who have much lower rates on the same page. That's a huge alarm bell.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if the people who don't buy are bouncing or leaving from the faq page way more often, what does it tell us. It sounds like the page isn't helping them convert exactly.
Speaker 2: It suggests the FAQ page for that undecided group is acting more like a barrier than a help guide. The information might be confusing, maybe too technical, maybe too long, maybe doesn't answer their specific question. It's frustrating them enough that they just leave.
Speaker 1: Wow, So the page itself could be killing potential sales.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The actual conclusion here is direct you need to go talk to whoever owns that content. Maybe it's the legal team, maybe customer service, and tell them, look, this page needs a rewrite, simplify it, make it clear. Cut the jargon, because right now it's actively driving away people who might have dot something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, connect that specific data point right back to an internal team's action item. That's powerful. Okay. Let's move on from the marketing mix frame where it can dive into some specific audience reports. These seem like they uncover really interesting user behavior trends, but maybe get overlooked sometimes.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Two really valuable ones are the Lifetime Value LTV report and cohort analysis. LTV basically shows you how much revenue a user generates over their entire life span with you, starting from when you first acquired them. Okay, and the source data we looked at showed something really interesting. Often, the biggest jump in LTV happens really early on, usually within the first three weeks after they become a user or make that first purchase.
Speaker 1: Three weeks that seems really fast. They kind assume LTV builds up slowly over months. You know, as people repurchase. Why such a quick spike, Well, think about it.
Speaker 2: So I'm buy something, they're excited. Maybe they immediately realize they need an accessory or a refill or a related product.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay post purchase enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe they were Yshia's first time bought just one thing, but now they trust you and they come right back to buy more. It capitalizes on that immediate momentum.
Speaker 1: So the best window to get a repeat purchase is like right after the first one, within three weeks. What's the strategy implication?
Speaker 2: Then it means your remarketing campaigns targeting recent buyers don't wait sixty or ninety days. You need to hit them fast within those first three weeks. Capture that peak interest period before it fades. Be aggressive right after that first conversion.
Speaker 1: Okay, strike while the iron is hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How does cohort analysis play into this? Does it confirm that urgency?
Speaker 2: It does? Yeah. Cohored analysis groups users based on when they first showed up, Like everyone who first visited in the first week of June is one cohort right, and the data consistently shows that the very beginning of any cohort's interaction, that initial period right after they join, is almost always the most profitable time. Revenue spikes right at the start.
Speaker 1: So the lesson from both reports is basically, grab the momentum early, don't wait around hoping customers will just naturally come back later for more.
Speaker 2: You got it. The actionable insight is clear. You should be thinking about prompting customers for related items, maybe upsells, maybe bundles during that initial buying process. Make it part of the first experience. Don't delay trying to maximize that immediate revenue potential.
Speaker 1: All right, that makes sense. Now, shifting from user behavior to potential technical problems, the hidden stuff that kills conversions. You mentioned using GA to find things like browser compatibility issues. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a big one. You absolutely need to check your reports segmented by browser and operating system, especially look at bounce rate. This is where you can find like silent killers, technical debt that's costing you sales without you realizing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, give me an example.
Speaker 2: So let's say you look at bounce rate by browser and you see Chrome is at maybe forty point four zero percent. Pretty normal. But then you look at Microsoft Edge and its bounce rate is fifty six point four to four percent.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a sixteen percent difference. It's huge.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that massive gap is a major red flag. It's basically screaming technical failure. It strongly suggests your website isn't working correctly or looks terrible, or it's super slow, specifically on.
Speaker 1: Edge, and every one of those users bouncing on Edge is potentially a lost sale purely because of a technical glitch.
Speaker 2: Precisely ignoring that sixteen percent difference, you're just letting revenue walk out the door. The action here is immediate and technical. You alert the web development team, like right now. Their job is to figure out why it's broken on Edge and fix it, improve compatibility for that specific browser to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's about as direct a link from data to dev ticket as you can get. Yeah. Okay. That brings us to our last section, which feels like maybe the most complex strategically, really understanding how different marketing channels work together to lead to a sale using those conversion and attribution reports.
Speaker 2: Right, we often start with the acquisition reports, looking at source medium traffic. But just looking at volume isn't enough to really see the value. You need to compare at least two metrics together, Like look at revenue that tells you the quantity the total dollars, but also look at e commerce conversion rate that tells you the quality how efficiently that channel converts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so compare dollars in efficiency side by side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you might find, for instance, that Google organic traffic brings in the most revenue overall. But then you cross reference that with specific landing pages within organic search to see which pages are not only driving traffic but also driving high quality traffic that actually buys.
Speaker 1: But then there's the problem of credit. Right. Someone might click a Facebook ad, then read a blog post from organic search, maybe see a tweet, and then finally days later type our website addressed directly into their browser and buy. Who gets the credit for that sale?
Speaker 2: Ah, the million dollar question. That's where assisted conversions and attribution modeling come in. Assisted conversions helps you judge the role at channel plays.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: It gives you a value. If a channel's asistic conversion value is near zero, it usually means that channels the one that closes the deal. It's often the last touch point, think direct traffic or maybe branded organic search.
Speaker 1: Okay, the closer, but if the.
Speaker 2: Assisted conversion value is greater than one, it means that channel mostly assists. It's part of the journey, maybe earlier on introducing the customer or helping them research, but it's not usually the final click. Think referrals or maybe generic paid search or display ads.
Speaker 1: So like referral sites might send people who are researching and they get a high assisted score even if they don't get the final last click credit exactly.
Speaker 2: And here's the huge catch. Google Analytics by default uses the last interaction model CULT setting yep, straight out of the box, and it's like imagine analyzing a soccer game but only giving credit to the person who scored the goal. You completely ignore the amazing pass from midfield and the setup assist right before it.
Speaker 1: So the last click, the final touch point, gets one hundred percent of the credit for the sale.
Speaker 2: Correct. So in your example, the user typed your domain name directly direct traffic right before buying. Under the default model, direct traffic gets all the credit the Facebook ad they saw, the blog post they read ignored zero credit.
Speaker 1: Wow, that sounds like a really easy way to undervalue channels that are actually bringing you customers. You end up underfunding them.
Speaker 2: It's a massive, critical flaw in relying only on the default. If you go into the model comparison tool on GA, you can switch models, compare that default last interaction model to say, the first interaction.
Speaker 1: Model, and what happens when you do that.
Speaker 2: Often you see a dramatic shift. Direct traffic might get tons of credit in the last interaction model because it closes sales, but switch to first interaction and suddenly organic search or maybe your social media campaigns light up. They get the credit because they were the first point of contact for users who eventually bought something, even if it was weeks later via direct visit.
Speaker 1: So the first touch introduces them, the last touch closes them, and the default model only values the closer.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. The implication for your marketing budget is enormous. If you start looking at first interaction or maybe a linear model that gives partial credit along the path, you realize you need to fund the channels that introduce customers that fill the top of your funnel, not just the channels that happen to be the last click before checkout.
Speaker 1: You have to fund the whole journey, not just the finish line.
Speaker 2: You've absolutely got it. So hopefully this deep dive has give you a better framework moving beyond just looking at traffic numbers. We covered that critical setup, the time zone fix, the mandatory backup view. We talked about translating data into strategy using the seven p's for location and service, how to spot those technical red flags like browser issues, and now how to use attribution modeling to really understand which channels start the conversation versus which ones just closed the deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that attribution piece feels like the real game changer here for a lot of people listening. I mean, if you're just running on that default last interaction model right now, you are almost certainly undervaluing and probably underfunding those really important channels like your SEO efforts, your content marketing, the things that actually bring most of your future customers through the door for the first time.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So here's a challenge for you listening. Go into your Google Analytics, find the model comparison tool, so right there under conversions, switch the view from last interaction to first interaction, or maybe try linear and just ask yourself, Okay, what channels here are clearly assisting my sales, maybe driving initial awareness, but are getting almost zero credit right now because they aren't the final click.
Speaker 1: That insight alone could completely change how you allocate your marketing budget tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it could shift things overnight