Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of February twenty fourth, we are continuing with Lost Season two, episode ten, the twenty third PSALM. Last week we had two bad dads and a bad mom. This week it's bad Brothers, Bad Brother's Week.
Speaker 3: Un Loss.
Speaker 1: Charlie's talking about how his brother is the one who got him hooked, which I guess, and Echo is a good slash bad brother to his brother. I mean he does prevent his young brother from having to shoot somebody by taking the gun and shooting that person himself. And then later on the younger brother has become a priest, and big brother Echo comes and involves him in drug shipments that result in the younger brother getting shot and killed and Echo pretending to be a priest. And somehow, some way, the plane on which the dead brother was flying, along with all the drugs and little statue of the Virgin Mary crashed on the island.
Speaker 3: How can that can turn it off in Nigeria?
Speaker 2: And we are not anywhere near that are not there?
Speaker 1: And I, I mean, I can't say I've seen all the statues of the Virgin Mary that there are, but I believe that they're a not uncommon item. Yes, there can't be that much variation in the appearance of them. But Echo looks at that and says, I know where this is. Where is the plane?
Speaker 4: Well, it was a pretty significant moment in his life.
Speaker 1: I guess. But to immediately leap in a second without even like a week of thinking about it. Two, this is the exact one that was in that plane, and therefore that plane is on this island. Let's go find it.
Speaker 4: When as we've established there geographically so.
Speaker 1: Far exactly the first thing that would jump into your mind. I mean I think it would be like, oh boy, this is just exactly like we did. This was so familiar. It brings a rush of memories to me. There are you know, horrible right, But Nope, Nope, this is it. This is the one. Where's the plane?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a guy who can face down the Smoke Monster. So I guess maybe he's got some special skills of perception or whatever. Did you? I was seeing on lust Pedia that in the Smoke Monster we saw lots of individual pictures of Echo's life. Did not see that My my TV resolution and my eyeballs were not able to detect any such things mine either. Okay, you did not either. Okay, I think possibly you had to be the kind of person who would freeze fram me. But how nice of them to service that I having something for them to look at.
Speaker 4: I guess we were at that point already and this show's.
Speaker 3: Life that people were freezing.
Speaker 1: Were we ever?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: But it did have sort of like a bits and pieces he feeling to it when you were in the middle of it, as opposed to Yeah, but holy cow, he stared down the smoke monster, and the smoke Monster said, all right, I got out. Maybe he was just trying to analyze, I'm only looking for good people. Is this a good No? Not for me. Didn't even have to look at Charlie just k new from this. Yeah, but uh, that was that was tripping good for him. He's a for formidable fellow. Is but just that whole You have to take this with a heaping helping of this is this is a story we're being told so and and if you know, if this is the thing that's going to cause you to say, oh, well forget it, it's probably best you I could accept. But this guy just knowing it's the plane and finding his brother on it. Of course, it's like you knew from the very first moment that that was Chekhov's silver cross.
Speaker 3: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: Later on we were going to find it around his brother's neck, and that's how we were going to know it was his brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know.
Speaker 1: It's gonna it's gonna be important because they focused on it a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very important.
Speaker 1: You just waiting for him to find a corpse that had the cross on it wasn't.
Speaker 4: The first take two maybe this one.
Speaker 1: Yes, So they did point out on lost Pedia that the corpse that he found that was his brother had hair, whereas the brother in life not so much. So apparently something that happens when you get into this Island's weird pull is that your hair.
Speaker 2: Grips and then the Kate has to give you a haircut.
Speaker 1: If this is the hardest thing to believe, then you haven't paid right. Yeah, isn't that shoot? Cute little sinner, you know, cute little uh moment there of Sir getting his haircut and Gin and Son brought Anta Lucia a fish. No hard feelings, here's something I just pulled out of the ocean. Well that son did sort of look like she was given her the stink eye at first, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and I mean Alice, I didn't treat Gin very you know, like some doesn't know unless Jenne told her, like everything that went down when he was in the pit and all that was.
Speaker 1: But you know, at some point, you know, you put my husband in a pit, you shot my friend.
Speaker 4: But what we're all here, so, yes, that gave one of those I mean, that was the.
Speaker 3: Only time you saw on a Lysia the whole episode.
Speaker 1: But I did feel like this was a different It wasn't a different type of flashback in that they all have the same basic trajectory of dampness, and so this was just a different take on it. But at least it was a different take on right. No, no bad dad for one, Yeah, bad army like bad drug teamers, bad brother in the end. But you know, it was a little different little something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 1: Another thing that I did not see with my terrible eyes, but lost Pedia informed me is that Charlie had like a cash of yes, okay that I completely I just saw him put it down. I completely didn't see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He So, Charlotte, I was feeling bad that Claire was being so unforgiving, But you're a bad right, What are you gonna do with all that?
Speaker 3: Man? Are you gonna sell it again?
Speaker 1: And nobody's gonna notice? Yeah, there you go. I don the smoke Monster looked pretty freaked out after Maybe you use a fix?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, he he had us going definitely with like, oh, I didn't you know, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: It was in there. I knew he knew it was in there, but.
Speaker 4: The fact that he hadn't used it I was like, well, maybe he's I don't know, just keep being around to remind himself to not use it. I don't know, Like that doesn't make sense either, but you know you had he definitely had me going and like, oh he's not using Yeah, but it's bad that he has this one. Now it turned out he has he has.
Speaker 1: Eight because of course he went back and got more. Why wouldn't you And he's acting like he doesn't know where the plane is.
Speaker 4: Oh well yeah, because he doesn't want anybody to know about his stash.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do wonder about Claire. And this is the second episode. She was really harping on it, how Charlie must be really religious because he had as this statue. Now he was going on a plane trip. You got a rosary, you got a crucifix, you got a prayer card, you got a prayer book, you got a Bible, lots and lots of things you would be more likely to bring with you on a trip if you are a religious person. In a statue, a plaster statue of I mean, it's not huge, it's not like the kind of thing you put in the corner of your room. But it's not small, it's not like a little pocket sized plastic Mary, Yes, why would she think, Oh, look at that, he's brought this plaster statue. It survived the crash and he just has it amongst his belongings. Honey, honey, you're a mom now you have to be a little more perceptive. Moms have to be able to say something is not right here. Why do you have that thing, my child?
Speaker 3: And how did you even find it?
Speaker 1: Buy in your store?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And like would it have survived the crash? And was it included in all of the copious luggage sorting that we.
Speaker 1: Saw in the suitcases when we were emptying them out? Did you have that in your pocket? It's rather large, it would have been smashed. It just it seemed like she just believed that because we needed her to believe that for the story. Right, you gotta get your mom radar a little sharper than Maclar or Aaron is gonna run all over you. Right, what's this sun?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 1: You gotta investigate. You gotta at least pick that thing up and shape so yes, yeah, yeah, parenting tip Exactly, if something doesn't seem like it belongs there, it probably does not belong there. And if somebody shows no other signs of being religious. Probably the religious statue. Like, I mean, it's not like he's kneeling out at the sunset.
Speaker 3: No, he's doing nothing with this.
Speaker 1: It's like mister Echo is holding a club full of Bible ruses. If he had a statue in his pocket, I would say, well, he's a big guy, and it was protected in the crash. But Charlie, well, scraggling Charlie, not so much. Uh so. And in other other plot developments of questionable wisdom, Locke teaches Michael how to shoot I could possibly go.
Speaker 2: Also wasted a giant container of ranch dressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dormer ranch dressing that's been there since gosh knows when I want to put some bet on myself. Do they have lettuce or they just I don't know. But I was just light fingers into the ranch dressing and linking it all the Yeah, it's food.
Speaker 4: Like I get it.
Speaker 3: If it couldn't.
Speaker 2: You couldn't use an empty container.
Speaker 4: You need something in there, like put some rocks in there or some water, like, don't use food.
Speaker 1: Maybe they just really don't like ranch dressing. I'm gonna take this thing out. I'm gonna shoot it. Yeah, it's an abomination.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I don't even like ranch dressing, but I thought, come on, guys, we only have so much food.
Speaker 3: We already used a lot of it. Curl yeah, party, yes, So.
Speaker 1: See, they shouldn't have buried the They shouldn't have buried the evil other spies so quickly. They could just have, you know, put them up on, prop them up against a wall somewhere and use them. Never mind. But I was amused when Locke says, Michael says, how did you learn how to shoot? And Locke says, my dad used to take me right? No he did not, liar, well, he did. You maybe wanted maybe you went to learn to shoot because you wanted to shoot your dad dad. I would But they did go. Did they go when he was an adult? They went hunting?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when he did, back when he had hair and he was getting to know his dad, when his dad was insinuating him.
Speaker 1: Well hunting, I think they did. Okay, I missed that that could be. That could be I was just imagining a little boy lock. But no, it was definitely yeah, this could be. Okay. All right, Well, then my dad, I thought that was I was accusing him of dishonesty.
Speaker 3: Well, there are lots of things.
Speaker 1: Just didn't mention my dad when I was grown up before where he took my.
Speaker 3: Kid, before he took my kids.
Speaker 1: Why would he teach Locke how to shoot? That seems that seems unwise given what his.
Speaker 4: Plans were, right, Yeah, he maybe didn't think that author would never do anything about it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Someone, I can't think who it was who said it, but said you don't have to be belligerent just for belligerence's sake. That seems like a mom line.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, for sure, I can picture saying it to a toddler.
Speaker 1: Right, have no idea what you were saying. But honestly, there's sometimes I feel like I probably need to say it to myself. Just just let it go. Don't need to be belligerent for belligerence's sake. But sometimes belligerent feels belligerence feels really good. Yes, absolute, Oh well, and I did.
Speaker 4: Get a little you know, it was emotional the very end when the twenty third psalm of the title was actually being recited.
Speaker 3: Locke was, I mean lock.
Speaker 4: Echo was saying it over his brother, and Charlie did join in. Charlie, who has you know established that he was an altar.
Speaker 1: Boy, so right, right, And of course there's also his deep devotion, right, but that wouldn't be so much with it. And I also that scene where Michael is trying to talk to Walt on the computer and Jack comes in and he's being so nice. Oh, we're going to try to find Walt. All Michael wants to do is go back to typing, right.
Speaker 3: He's like uh huh uh huh yep.
Speaker 1: And he can't be like, get the bleep out of here. He just has to be like, oh, yeah, have a chat. That sounds like me in my work day pretty much every day, like I need to be doing this stuff, or I have this social media thing I want to look at, but I can't let anybody see I'm doing it. And here comes one of my kids and I got to talk to them because you got to talk to them, because it's partly the most important people in my life. Hi, honey, let me just turn Twitter a little to the side. I'll tell you how much I love you, and I just have this work to do. Yeah. I felt for Michael in that moment because can't what else can you do? You can't say go away, I have to sit here and wait for beep. Yes, but also it was like, so do very much want them to go.
Speaker 4: It was definitely the like hide from your parents what you're doing on the screen as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. And that's what I feel like, that nice conversation. Yeah. And there are also certainly times, I imagine as parents many of us have felt like mister Echo, staring at the freaking smoke monster, this horrifying, scary, frightening thing, and just holding your ground and just looking at it. I'm just gonna look at it.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna use the power of stinkye to stand here.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, even against all the fear and terror and horror, and every part of your body wants to run away, but you're just gonna stand there and face it off. And sometimes it goes away. Sometimes it devours you hole, Sometimes it drags you to a hole in the ground.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it throws you off in a tree.
Speaker 1: That's right, you know, all sorts of possibilities, but you gotta stand your ground against oh gosh, sometimes raising kids feels exactly like that, that you have all the horrible Every time you open the paper, every time you turn on the computer, you see all the horrible things that can happen. You know, every time you have a meeting at school, you think of all the terrible things that can happen, and yet you have to just stand there and look at it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's apparently going to flash the little pictures if you right, if you have the eyesight to see them, and you're still just gonna say, welp, you know what I'm just saying. I'm just gonna face you don't scare me, And even if you do scare me, I'm just gonna stand here. So you know, some days you feel like it runs away, and some days you feel like you're up in or in a hole, or you know, thrown out to see. But still when it goes away, it feels really right.
Speaker 3: It was quite impressive by a mister ico.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was quite impressive.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: He must have felt pretty good about himself at this is This is what a badass I am. Even the monster rights away, Maybe he doesn't feel so good about that, but I don't know. Interesting interesting character, almost two stars one spot with Locke. But but uh, because Locke would also just stand there, right, because Lock would, didn't he one time look into the face of the island. Was it the smoke monster that he looked at? Maybe he said he looked at something and he said it was I was looking into the eye of the island or something like that, and it was beautiful.
Speaker 4: Well, and he's just basically like, if it's going to get me, then it's my fate for it to get me.
Speaker 3: And if it's not, exactly it's not.
Speaker 1: These guys they should they should get together for a Does Jack have any more of those little bottles? They should get to get it together for a cocktail and compare notes.
Speaker 4: I get the feeling that very goes not a drinker, but who knows?
Speaker 1: Probably not. They got some party supplies in that plane. Still apparently hasn't taken.
Speaker 3: The ball boy.
Speaker 1: Well, on we go. What smoke monster are we staring down? Next week? Is it about Kate and are bad parenting? No, let's see next Tuesday. We will continue with season two, Episode eleven, have lost called the Hunting Party? Oh, for goodness sake, people just stay on the beach where it's safe. Do you have to keep going into the jungle. What's the matter with you? You just got back together, we have established just still some food left in the hat, just just hang a man. Oh well, hey, somebody's going hunting. It sounds like what they're hunting for. I do not know, but we will find out, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss a Man on the Inside, where somebody is also supposedly hunting for things, but this week. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.