Speaker 1: And we continue on Jonas Knox in today for Rodney five seventy LA Sports the NBA poll by coaches and scouts. We're gonna have that coming up later on in the hour and get back into the Dodgers and the return of Evan Phillips. We'll talk about that, all right. Jonas looks like Ceedee Lamb is locked up, locked loaded, ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too bad. I mean, listen, the Dallas Cowboys do a hell of a job trying to get us through the slow months. Dak Prescott's contract got us through COVID. I mean it was either that or those those drug addicts on Tiger King, Like that's all we had to go with during COVID. So I just want to thank Jerry Jones. I want to thank the organization for taking as long as possible to try and get these deals done in Dallas. It helps all of us because I got to be honest with you, like you know, the WNBA conversation like that was fun for a little bit. I just didn't really do a lot for me. But if we can argue back in and fourth about whether or not a guy should be paid when we all know deep down the deal's going to get done before the season, and we're going to look back and go, oh, that was kind of a waste of time. At least it got us through and gave us something to talk about for all these months. So I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I've had it fascinating early on in the process when Jerry Jones was asked, I don't. I don't. No real urgency here on my part, no rush to get this done. But of course on my part.
Speaker 2: He by the way, I love too the how Jerry Jones like comes out. He's talking so basically, Mike McCarthy's a lame duck coach, Dak Prescott's a lame duck quarterback as far as final year of their contract. They can't franchise tag Dak Prescott. Mike McCarthy's entering the final year of his deal. And Jerry Jones is like, yeah, as far as like McCarthy goes, I mean, you know, I think it does. I think it is a good thing, you know, to have a little bit of angst going into your final year and all that stuff. And Michael McCarthy was talking about and he's like, I don't know when the hell it became easy to when you know, we're talking about playoffs, Like when did it become easy to win twelve games year? Like he's won twelve games the last three years in a row. Like he's been fantastic as a Cowboys coach. Any other organization he would have already gotten an extension by now. And Jerry Jones is like, yeah, whatever, we will let him wait a little bit, you know, like, ye, screw it, We just will let him wait.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: We'll he's got to prove another year to us. Say, okay, if they win twelve games again and they win a game in a postseason and then losing the next round, are you really gonna move on from him? Like you're gonna bring in Belichick? You think Belichick wants to deal with Jerry Jones and his medaling. Like the it's very strange, but it works for them. As we pointed out, listen, ten billion dollar valuation, the Cowboys are.
Speaker 1: So well, what they've done is, you know, the Cowboys are kind of like the NBA. You you follow what happens in the soap opera as much as you follow what happens on the field. And Jerry Jones has done that. He's done a masterful job of that, you know what. You know what, I don't think it's bad for him to go into five little year of his deal, you know, and give him a little ankst maybe give him a little little pepping his step, give him a little kick in the butt. Does he mean so if he's so, if this is not the final year of his deal, he's going to try to lose, right, if this is not the final year of his deal, that he'll phone it in.
Speaker 2: It's like, Jerry, you can fire him at any time, you know, like if he's like, if he's got two years left and the team rolls out a bag of vomit, you know, for seventeen weeks in a row, like you can move on from him, Like that is possible. I mean, just do it. David Tepper did in Carolina. I mean, for God's sake, you could just do it, you know, your buddies, that the Chargers did when they got rid of Marty Schottenheimer after he went fourteen and two. So there's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just not a good fit, just not a good foot anymore now. Yeah he went fourteen and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was that. The reasoning, by the way, was that the reasoning that was it the fit.
Speaker 1: We just didn't get along with the GM. Yeah, you know, there's some issues there, so I'll just go in a different direction and then we'll fall apart because that's the way we should do it. I am always mystified by those choices and those decisions you just miss Schuster. Of course. Now back with the Chiefs, and it's remarkable what they've done, you know, losing receivers as they did, but they have Patrick Mahomes and it just makes everybody better. So I guess how important is it to have that all star stud receiver if you're with Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's what the thinking is with the Chargers? Do you think they're like, well, listen, we you know, and we know we love Keenan Allen. He's got a year left on his deal, like you know, we like Mike Williams. Yeah, he's got the injury issues. But you know, as long as we've got Justin Herbert, we can figure it out. Because it's like, all right, like those are like Keithan Allen's like a really really good player, Like he's like he's been really good in Bears camp for Chicago. Like that's and they just decided they're going to move on. They've got Justin Herbert and we'll figure it out from there.
Speaker 1: They needed depth, they needed money, They needed more depth on the roster. That's why they let him go. I think they asked Keenan Allen, you know when you restructure and he goes, I'm not restructure, get anything, thank you. I appreciate that. No, and Mike Williams would have been paid a lot. No, all right, So they had to spread that money around. They had roster holes to fill. But keep this in mind, Justin Herbert is not Patrick Mahomes. Justin Herbert is very good, He's not Patrick Mahomes. So you would think he would need more help with his receivers, and Mahomes would need more help. Do we really think Justin Herbert is as good as Patrick Mahomes. I don't. And I love Justin Herbert. No, but Mahomes is his own guy. He's in his own world.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have well. I also think that this will be the real year like this will like this year will be interesting for Justin Herbert because Jim Harbaugh's style of play and the offense he's going to want to run may not reflect the best offensive output for Justin Herbert in years past, but they could end up being a better team just based on who Jim Harby is as a coach. And it's almost as if Justin Herbert has been he's been kind of shadowed and covered up by how everybody felt about Brandon Staley, because when Justin Herbert had a bad game or he played poorly, it was like that really was a brief conversation and it was let's get back to Brandon Staley's decision on fourth down on the third quarter. Like it was like people had already made up their minds about Brandon Staley and how it was going to go with this team, and especially after the playoff loss, nobody was gonna forgive him. Like that wasn't on Justin Herbert. They're not going to talk about, you know, the inability to get things done in the second half. They're only going to focus on the fact that Brandon Staley was the coach. He coughed up a big time lead at halftime and it was really before half the things started to slip away, and Justin Herbert didn't really get a lot of the heat. Well, now we know harbacking coach like he's proven it everywhere he's gone. Now, I think maybe we'll start to have the discussion more about all right, so where is Justin Herbert at this point in his career? Because I'm with you, I don't think he's Patrick Mahomes, but I do think you can win a ton of games with him. And I think that if you're a team out there in the NFL, like there's probably twenty to twenty five teams that are like, we would love to have Justin Herbert. And I'm just curious to see how that dynamic works with Jim Harbaugh, who listen, if you believe him recently, if you want to be stuck in an elevator with anybody, it's Justin Herbert, of course Jim Marva. So there is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that I think it'll be interesting to see how that plays out this year. But the thing about the Chargers, so might we look at Justin Herbert differently? If Brandon Staley had not nay palmed his own team when he was the coach, what do we view him differently because Herbert would have won more games? I mean, Brandon Staley, the Wones were self inflicted.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you think.
Speaker 1: About how good they could have been, and you know, those games oftentimes come down to a decision or two. He would make the wrong decision. He would put his own team in harm's way. Now, people then applauded him and said, well, you know something, we like a guy that believes in us, and were like a guy that's gonna go for it.
Speaker 2: He's got conviction, you know, like he's got his convictions. He believes in what he believes in. He's going for it. Like did he ever one time after a poor decision come out afterwards and say, God, I wish I would have had that one back, because I swear to God, I don't recall it.
Speaker 1: Ever, No, he explained why he did it, and I thought there would be a point in time where Tom Tolesco or even Dean Spannels or John Spanos would have called to him in and said, Okay, we like it, we love how aggressive you are, but let's revisit this a little bit. Let's, you know, take the foot off the gas a little bit in some of these situations because we're hurting ourselves. We're hurting ourselves. I'll tell you who else hurt themselves. Dan Campbell last year with the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the other one too, where everyone just assumes that Detroit's going to be back. They just assumed. Listen, and look, I love the roster Jared Goff and the way things have worked out with him there Am and Ross Saint Brown, like there's a lot to like about it and a lot of Southern California ties, and the Rams are opening up at Detroit Sunday Night football to start off the year. Like, there's a lot to like about the Detroit Lions. But good christ, did Dan Campbell cough up that game in the NFC Title Game and listen, Like, It's not as if the Lions played well all the way down the stretch, but there were decisions by Dan Campbell that you're like, but I'll give him credit at least afterwards he goes, yeah, listen, you know, probably could have redone that one here was my thinking, but probably could have done this differently. Could probably could have done that. Brandon Staley had none of that, And I think that's what turned off a lot of Chargers fans, Like there was no accountability, There was no you know, upon further review, maybe I could have done this a little bit differently. It was just like, no, this is how I do it. That's why I did it, to your point, and we live with the results. So he didn't have to live with the results, Like you didn't have to go for the win the season before, you could have made the playoffs, like you didn't have to do like all of these decisions, like you didn't have to do it. But he did those. So we know there's gonna be significant upgrade for the Chargers at coach. Like, I'm just wondering how that impacts Justin Herbert, Like I think he's gonna be fine. Think he's gonna be still really really good player. It's just that style of offense may look a little bit different and the numbers may not be as sharp as they looked, you know, maybe previously without Jim Harbough there.
Speaker 1: Fair but all they asked him to do as the quarterback is make the plays when you need to make them, no matter what offense they run. I think Justin Herbert is very capable of that. I think, you know, healthy he can make the plays.
Speaker 2: Also, people forget when Harbaugh got to the Niners, because if you're looking for the most recent example, if you're a Charger fan, you're like yeah. Well, listen, he did it in college. But we've seen coaches do it in college before and not be able to do it at the NFL level. Okay, well, we do have an example of the NFL and it was a four year run when he was with the Niners. And one of the things that, yeah, everyone talks about the success he had and the energy he brought the organization and you know who did it better than who likes it better than us or whatever the slogan is, nobody all. That's one of the things he did do was fix Alex Smith's career. Like Alex Smith was thought to be a quote unit even though I hate the word quote unquote bust number one pick. They chose him over Aaron Rodgers, so on and so forth. They blew through coach and coordinator. I think he went through like seven coordinators his first few years with the Niners. Jim Harbaugh went in there and they figured out a way to take what Alex Smith did well apply that to the NFL. And before they turned the keys over to Colin Kaepernick, the Niners were in an NFL title game. They went to overtime with the Giants in an NFC title game, and that ended up being the second Giants Patriots Super Bowl that the Giants beat New England at that was that Hail Mary at the end that Gronk almost caught. The Niners were an overtime game away, and I believe it was at home like it was in San Francisco from going to a super Bowl. So yeah, Harbuck can do it at this level, and he can do it with a quarterback that maybe doesn't have as much talent as justin Herbert, because he finds what the guy does well, he builds around it, plays to his strengths, and then lets him run and lets him off and let him go figure out and go do what they do, and then figures out a way to build success around him. So I think it's going to work. That dynamic, though, is going to be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: All right, let's have a word from Jacob. Imagine you are in an over or left. You're sitting in the back seat driving to your destination. Bam, you are injured in a car accident. But it's not just any car accident. It is an accident with an uber or lyft and it's completely different than a normal wreck. Your driver is covered by uber or lyft. So not only are you dealing with the other person's insurance, you need to speak with the ride shair company's insurance as well. You need an expert. Our friend Jacob is the expert when it comes to handling uber and lyft accident cases. Years ago, Jacob and his team took on these cases before other attorneys. Jacob understands all the nuances involved in these particular accidents. If you prefer to meet face to face, Jacob's team can come to you, or you can go to Jacob's office. So if you're injured in any type of ride shair accident, immediately called Jacob when you called attorney. You want one who was respected, Call Jacob. He is the real deal. Called Jacob at eight four to four to twenty four. Jacob eight four four to twenty four Jacob, or visit call Jacob dot com. Who is the NBA's best player right now? Who will it be in five years? Who will the Rookie of the Year be. Well, we'll try to look into the crystal ball when we come back. Jonas Knox in today for Rodney, Dodgers and Orioles. Tonight you'll hear the game right here, Big seven games coming up, Jonas Big seven games. You talk about a playoff feel a playoff atmosphere. You've got three against Baltimore, You've got four against Arizona. It'll be fascinating to see where the Dodgers end up after all this.
Speaker 2: I love it, man, It's fun. This is fun. Like who wants to run away with a division with a fifteen game lead and thirty games left? Like, who wants that? It's not fun for anybody. Let's get well, the nerves roll in a little bit. You don't.
Speaker 1: No, that's not exactly right. It is fun if you do that. The problem is if you've done that and then you get to where it really counts and you get smacked in the mouth right at the beginning, it's no good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I do think there is something too. You go from kind of chilling, relaxing, feed up, kicking back, having a modello maybe Mitchellatta if it's a Monday, just kind of watching the end of the regular season, you know, hanging out, having a Dodger dog, and then all of a sudden, the playoff starts and it's like, oh god, the record previous doesn't matter. It's oh no, and we got to figure it out, like there's there's such a significant drop off at least we've seen also and this season't just applying to the Dodgers. You've seen teams in Major League Baseball, and it seems like it happens more in Major League Baseball than it does elsewhere, where a team will come out of nowhere, go on a heater at the end of the regular season and they just carry that momentum through the postseason and like yeah, yeah, and so like whether it's the Braves, whether it was Arizona last year, whether like you just go through Major League Baseball, there's always a team that surprises people when they get into the postseason. They sneak in, they're a wild card team, they get on that run and then it just continues on. So if you're the Dodgers, just keep playing hard nosed baseball games that matter, games at count, get into the postseason and go from there. I've been consistent. I've said the whole time they're gonna win a World World Series, it's over. What do you mean this year or this yet this year? Like they're winning the World Series this year. I've said that when they were in a slump, it was myself and Vic the Brick who were standing there and getting ready to get in the car and drive off the cliff like Thelma Luiz holding hands and ready to celebrate a Dodgers World Series. And everybody around us is like, no, no, no, they got problems, the bullpen, the injuries. Dave Roberts, he hasn't shown the ability. No no, no, they're winning the World Series. It's going to happen, and it's happening this year. And if you're Major League Baseball, you just hope that if that's the case, it's against the Yankees, cause if we can get Otani and Aaron Judge in the World Series, Come on, Fred, who's not into that? With the seasons those two have had thus far in Major League Baseball? Who would not be into Aaron Judge versus show, Hey Otani in a World Series? You imagine that right now?
Speaker 1: Who do you want? More? Otani or Aaron Judge.
Speaker 2: Otani? Yeah, Like, just like, I hope people understand, And this isn't like being a home or anything. I just hope people understand how preposterous this statement is. Show, Heyotani just became the fastest player ever to reach the forty forty club and then the next day threw off the mound for the first time since Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, is anybody like actually taking a step back and said that statement out loud? Show Heyotani just went forty forty faster than anybody in the history of the game. Oh and by the way, he just threw off the mound for the first time as well too, since Tommy John surgery. Wait, what, like, we're like, we're talking not just rarefied air, but stuff we've never seen before. And he's doing it in real time in twenty twenty four. And it's here with the Dodgers in his mind, blowing what this guy's doing. And it's almost like, yeah, we we recognize how crazy that is, but we don't. And and I see that statement, I go like, we're never gonna see this ever again. Fred Ever, Well.
Speaker 1: I said, if he's already thrown off the mounta, let's tell him start a game in the playoffs. Rodney thought that was not a good idea. I said, well, if he's that good, let's get him out there.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, why don't we at least get the spring training and like work through some of this stuff, you know, Like I mean like, well, like what do you want, like do you want to get? Like yeah, well it's worth it if we can get a World Series this year. Let his arm fall off. It's like okay, well let's let's let's work them all the way back. But is that like have you ever seen anything like this, like like a player this talented And I'm talking like because we've seen talented like bo Jackson was a freak like Rebeal that don't remember Bo Jackson like that was but it was such a short period of time that it was a lightning. It was light it was a comet or it was whatever. A comet, not a star whatever I'm trying to say, but it was lightning in a bottle and you had to see it with Bo Jackson. And then Dion Sanders went and was actually really good in the postseason playing Major League Baseball and then would go and do the NFL stuff and all that and all that was awesome to watch, but we've never seen this where he's doing what he's doing. He's lived up to everything that they thought he was going to be. There's been no concern even though there was some concern what's his average with runners in scoring position, all that crap that was going on early in the season. All and on top of that, he's also a really good pitcher and he just threw off the mound. It's wild man, and it's here.
Speaker 1: And that's why between the two, because Aaron Judge and O'tani are the stories in baseball. Yes, and Aaron. Look, Aaron Judge, the way he's hitting every night, you get those alerts and you're thinking, oh my god, I'd take Otani in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would do it.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't need to be a question. Oltani can do so much more than Judge. Judge can hit home runs, Oltani can run, hit and pitch. I don't think there's any denying then if you could have one, you would take Otani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay. I totally agree. And he's younger. He's a couple of years younger as well too. It's like, well, what Aaron Judge is doing is great, and if you're you know, it's why when there was the conversation about, well, you know, is he gonna go to the Giants, Bay Area connections all that stuff, It's like, no, he was him with the Yankees is perfect. And if those two could meet up in a World Series. Could you imagine the prices for tickets to get into that at Dodger Stadium Yankees Dodgers in the World Series.
Speaker 1: But the only way it's better is if Otani is pitching, because then O'tani is facing Judge.
Speaker 2: All right, now, we're getting greedy, right now, that's worth the price? Okay, fair enough, I mean fair enough. I mean, maybe make him the closer. Like if you got probably if you got concerns about Evan Phillips and you know, and they're not they don't want to throw Kopek out there, Maybe make them the closer. You know, let him throw, let them throw a hundred a few times and get some people out.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if down the road that doesn't happen. Just let him be the closer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like why wouldn't it be Like why if his if the struggle for him is the number of pitches he's throwing in a game. I mean that, by the way, that would be so much fun. Like Otani brought in is the closer, like just like everything sort of like the possibilities are endless and That's why I don't think when he got the money he got and he got the contract he got, like people in the know were like, yeah, it's a lot of money, but like it's Otani like and I just wonder as he accomplishes all these goals and does what he does, I wonder what, Like Ardie Moreno, and like, you know, the Angel's front office is thinking of themselves, you know, as they're sitting there, going all right, when's the next Monster Jam event? We need to sell out in a hurry, Like what are we what are we looking at here? Like I wonder what their thought process is, like, well.
Speaker 1: Their thought process to be he did this for us. He did this very thing for the Angels. Now granted some thought he was in the witness protection program down there, but he did it for the Angels and when they didn't match the offer. I'm not going to go off on that again. That that is one of the most confounding things I think I've ever seen a professional sports. They wouldn't trade them so they could start to rebuild their team, so they could reconstruct. They didn't do that. They refused because they were going to sign them. They go out, they acquired people to trade deadline, they give up some young players because they want to show him they're all in. Okay, they fall apart. They've given up the young players. Then they either wave or trade the players they just acquired, so they come up with nothing.
Speaker 2: You know what's crazy, You've had it too. It was like right after the trade deadline they fell apart, right right?
Speaker 1: It was so then so then you go through the whole process, the whole thing. Everything was predicated on keeping Otani. Everything, and now the moment of truth, the phone call is made, the number seven hundred million. Keep in mind you didn't trade them, but you did trade people. Then you ended up trading them. Use weakened your farm system, all in an effort to show Otani you meant business. Here it is the big moment, This is the number. What do you say, Oh, we're out, you're out. You can't be out. Oh no, we're out, you can't be out there?
Speaker 2: Do you think? Okay? I have two questions for you that you would know. Do you believe that they thought at the trade deadline last year and they be meaning the Angels, that they realistically thought they were going to be able to keep Otani?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, all things being equal, the Angels say, well, match to seven hundred million. Does Otani go back to the Angels? Because I think you you know what, I don't think you would.
Speaker 1: Then why would they give him the final crack?
Speaker 2: I think because he's a good guy.
Speaker 1: But they had matched. All right, we match, you gave us the final crack at it? We match?
Speaker 2: I think that then he would want to know what his options were. And I don't have no idea whether not Toronto was a real option or if that was just you know, somebody bs John Morosi, and and he was, you know, the victim of of you know, bad intel from somebody. But I just think he was always going to end up with the Dodgers. I think this was always the plan. He looked at it. He liked the situation, you know, like I mean we're talking like what is it like an hour difference hour and a half in traffic, Like it's like two different universes. Like people don't like when I talk to people like on a national level, they're like, yeah, so what's like the feeling out there? This and that? It's like, dude, it's it's like night and day difference between a Dodgers game and an Angels game. It just is like the vibe, the feel around southern California, all of that stuff. When they tried to change and be a part of the LA name and all that because they didn't want to be the California Angels anymore. And I get all that, but and you know, marketing and branding, and but I think Shoeo Tani it was always he was always going to end up. If he had a chance, he was going to pick the Dodgers over the Angels. He may have come back to them and say, I want to do you guys as solid. Here's what the numbers are. Do you think you could put something together? But just know I'm still going to have to sleep on it and make a decision if you are. I think had they come to him with seven hundred million dollars and said we'll give you the exact same deal, I think he would always end up with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: I really do. I think he would have ended up with the Dodgers as well. And maybe if they had matched, maybe the Dodgers would have gone okay seven to twenty, because at that point it's funny money anyway to them, you know, And they were deferring all of it, So whatever you want. But when the Angels didn't match or didn't say yeah, okay, that's what it is. We've gone through all of this to get to this point, and here it is. We are committed. If they don't do that, it's like, what do you do? One? What could you possibly be thinking? They just signed the GM Perrymanezi into another three year deal. I don't blame him. I'm glad he's working, he's doing the best he can. But what could they possibly have been thinking? And now when you think about the possibility in the playoffs and not this year because o'tani won't pitch, But down the road, you're in the you're in the World Series. You got the Dodgers and you got the Yankees. You got o'tony pitching against Aaron Judge. That's what it's about. It's those moments that again, if he'd stayed with the Angels, he'd never been in the World Series. So what's the difference.
Speaker 2: Geez I didn't realize how bad the Angels were this year, But I think I knew it, but I didn't really put it into perspective. Oh my god, Wow, that team stinks. Hey, sorry, Kevin Figures is not here to hear this. Thank God for that. But that team stinks good.
Speaker 1: Oh no, he confirmed, it wouldn't be. He wouldn't Maybe fine, he confirmed, and go yeah they're terrible. Yeah, you're right, they're terrible. And they're terrible because they've not had a direction. That's the problem, because they've been all over the place. You can't keep changing in the middle and go oh no, we'll try this. No, no, there's been no plan. They just ardie moreno does whatever.
Speaker 2: By the way, did you what did you did you say they haven't had direction?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they changed.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I swear to god I could have sworn you said erection. I swear to God that that's why I threw me off.
Speaker 1: That might be a problem too. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't listen. I'm not peeking over anybody's stall at Angel Stadium. I just want to let people know, all right. I just you know, I'm almost positive if we could play that back. I swear to God, I thought you said erection.
Speaker 1: I did not. Okay, I did not, But again, it's probably something. It's just been a bad year for the Agles and Anaheim. All Right, we will get to that NBA poll erection.
Speaker 2: I swear to God play it back.
Speaker 1: All right, it's adam if you can go look at it. And if I said erection, play it.
Speaker 3: Oh you said it and it's spectacular. We'll have it up.
Speaker 1: Jonas Knox is in today for Rodney next hour, Vickillby along with the spirituality that we crave all right time now for the annual first half NBA Off Season Survey, right, I know you look forward to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you seemed excited about it.
Speaker 1: Well, all most people are, you know, getting fired up here for the NFL and certainly you know, buckling down for the end of baseball.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: The NBA has popped in with the annual off season survey. So what are we trying to determine in the survey? Well, there are questions we need to answer. For example, h who is the NBA's player right now, and that would be Jonas in your opinion, Nikola Jokic number one? Correct? Okay, so that you have answered correctly for the NBA off season survey.
Speaker 2: I by wa, did you see him in the Olympics, Like there was a split statistic that went on when he was on the floor against Team USA. And what he wasn't like the game was tied, and what he wasn't on the floor, they were like a minus nineteen or twenty or whatever. It was like even in that stage. And by the way, thrilled to win a bronze medal, maybe more excited to win a bronze for his country than he was an NBA championship for the Nuggets. I mean makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yep. Look, he's a guy that look, was proud to play for his country. Yeah, the bronze, he's good. Well, after he won the NBA tail and went right back, Homeman went to his horses. Yeah, remember he goes he did, I'm good. Hey, yes, thank you, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, went straight from the parade to the Kentucky Derby just say screw it all right?
Speaker 1: Who will be the NBA's best player in five years? According to this poll? The answer would you like to guess? Or shall I give it to you?
Speaker 2: I would say probably Wemby if I had to guess.
Speaker 1: If you had to guess, you would be correct. Wemby is the man.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you watched him last year, he just got better and better and better as the season went on, and like look, we could sit here and talk about how talented he isn't all that. But Don McClain, who's as brutally honest as anybody, said, I've never seen anything like the guy like I've literally he trains these guys, he has watched them, he's helped develop them like I've never seen anything like him. And so when you get like high praise from people that are going to call it like it is, are not going to try and you know, push a narrative. I have no agendas, no dog in the fight, and they're saying, like, you don't realize how good like you watch him play, he just got better and better. The things he's able to do, he shouldn't be able to do it his size, it's crazy, all right, So.
Speaker 1: He would be the guy? Uh, Shay Gilges Alexander second? There, all right, here's something you should consider. Who will be this season's NBA MVP. Now it's somewhat close, and the person on top may surprise you.
Speaker 2: Oh and here's a hint.
Speaker 1: We've already mentioned this person's name.
Speaker 2: I would say Luca, but he was second.
Speaker 1: He was second, So who was first? The answer is shake Gilgess Alexander.
Speaker 2: Why how about that.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, he had seven votes, Luca had five, Anthony Edwards had two.
Speaker 2: Man, I'll tell you something. He's he's a really good player, like homegrown and okay, right, like he didn't come from anywhere? Should you go?
Speaker 1: You can see, Adam, I brought that up yesterday.
Speaker 2: I should listen. I was just asking the question. That's all.
Speaker 3: Well, to be fair, we were talking Dodgers yesterday and Fred brought this up out of left field, out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: By the way, should the.
Speaker 3: Clippers have traded for Paul George and give it up?
Speaker 1: Sga? Fred?
Speaker 3: Why'd you try to upset me like that?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I think you jumped in on something. I thought, Okay, this will be an interesting question. Who better than you to answer? All right? Oh, by the way, did I did I say erection? Did you check?
Speaker 2: Did we have the sound?
Speaker 1: Because they've not had a direction, that's the problem. Because they've not had a direction, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: Like Fred, Yes, it's tough to get excited about the Angels.
Speaker 1: But because they've not had a direction, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Fred, where was your mind at that you confused direction with erection?
Speaker 1: I just think I made the d silent.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: Because they've not had a direction. That's the problem.
Speaker 2: Trust me, that d was not silent.
Speaker 1: They're terrible, and they're terrible because they've not had a direction. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: They're so bad they're impotent.
Speaker 2: Now that's rough.
Speaker 3: Fred figured out what's wrong.
Speaker 2: Like when the rains, it pours.
Speaker 1: They're terrible and they're terrible because they've not had a direction. That's the problem. All right, Uh, who will be the NBA Rookie of the Year? Jonas?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: You're right, Zach Edy good job?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, well, actually, wow, they're going Zach Edie. Huh wait wait a second, the guy that everybody was taught well, is he gonna have a place in the NBA because he's seven to four and he doesn't shoot threes, and like he's gonna be the rookie of the year. Yeah, I mean, look, I love the fact that he brought the big game, the big man game back to college basketball. I love that. And he produced, you know, Nate Smith Player of the Year back to back years. I love all that stuff. But I'm surprised that now the feeling on him has changed to worry. Now he's because remember there was some discussion that he was going to slip all the way to potentially the Lakers, right, I think that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Thereasation, Yeah, yeah, Okay, which team will win each conference? In the East? Who will win? No, Boston, correct, Milwaukee, the Knicks and seventy six Ers follow? Who will win in the West? And this is by a wide margin?
Speaker 2: Minnesota Oklahoma City? Really?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm?
Speaker 2: Okay, So now what about all right? Let me, is Denver anywhere on the list? Like, is Denver anywhere to be found on this list? No? Because, like I do think that when it comes to matchups, so when everyone's talking about, you know, styles make fights and matchups and all that stuff. I always felt, and maybe I'm crazy, I always thought either Minnesota or Denver would have been a tougher matchup for Boston in the finals. Like I always felt that, Like when Dallas got there, it just seemed like they'd kind of run out of gas. I don't know, overachieved is the right word you want to use, But it was not a good matchup for them. And the fact that Denver is nowhere to be found on the list, but they've got the best player in the league kind of interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Because it takes more than one. You might have the best player, but you need more than one.
Speaker 2: I mean, fair point. And as you so eloquently pointed out, you know, you've got to have the right direction if you want to get your team any direction.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. Not had a direction, that's the problem. Not had a direction, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: You're a class act, my Fred, what.
Speaker 1: They're terrible, and they're terrible because they've not had a direction. That's the problem. Did you.
Speaker 3: No that bad, Fred? Creative edit?
Speaker 2: I needed, I swear to God. When you did it, I thought you were like transitioning to a blue chee read and I thought that was like your segue to like some sort of like an ed read. And I'm like, oh, I don't is there any like sponsor like that on the show? And then you just went on. I thought, oh no, that's like that just happens. I heard it just like that too, and just kind of like looked up and at him.
Speaker 3: Like, uh, I thought a record scratch, Like listen, listen to Fred, try to play this off too and just move along.
Speaker 1: Terrible, and they're terrible because they've not had a direction. That's the problem. Because they've been all over the place. You can't keep changing in the middle and go oh no, we'll try this.
Speaker 3: No, no, Now that's a pro. That's a pro.
Speaker 1: You know who.
Speaker 2: What it takes kids, you know who wasn't a pro. Me laughing in the background because I heard him say erection.
Speaker 1: They've not had a direction, that's the problem. And Katie, what are you yelling about back there.
Speaker 3: Just saying I heard it the same thing?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, well now I'm now I'm embarrassed, Katie.
Speaker 3: We're changing safe harbor hours for Fred apparently.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't think no offense to you.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's professionalism. I think he genuinely did not hear himself say erection, not direction. They're terrible, and they're terrible because they've not had a direction. That's the problem, I mean, which is terrible for everybody. Listen. I don't want to you know, I don't want to throw salt on it. But yeah, that's problem for him. They're struggling down there, and there's a number of reasons.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wouldn't throw salt on it either. Sounds painful.
Speaker 1: What is this the benefits to weed if you're older? Because they've not had a direction. No, I can't, well, we'll have to talk about that.