Speaker 1: Welcome to Castle of Horror, the show dedicated to horror movies and awesomeness. We are a feat Spot top one hundred horror podcast. This week we have a look at the nineteen seventy two TV film Moon of the Wolf. This is episode four hundred and sixty four. Bear in mind if you haven't seen today's movie, we're going to be talking about it from the perspective of horror fans who have seen it. So warning. Spoiler's ed. From Denver, Colorado, I'm your host, Jason Henderson, publisher at Castlebridge Media, home of the Castle of Horror anthology. With me from Austin is Tony Subaggio, lead singer and bassis of the band Deserts of Mars and lead guitarist of the band Rise from Fires. Hello, Tony, Howdy Howdy. Also in Austin. Mister Drew Edwards, freshly back from Comic Con, is the writer creator of the long running underground comic Halloween Man, which you can find at Global Comics. He is a Best Writer Ringo nominee, Austin Chronicle Best of Austin Award winner and member of the Pen American Fellowship. Say Hello, Drew.
Speaker 2: The notorious, Drew Edwards.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, I will just I will from henceforth to declare that everybody should just announce me as notorious. Because Julia was correcting me before we started recording that notoriety and fame were not the same thing, and I was saying, I kept saying notoriety, and so I will, I will henceforth. I decided, if I'm not going to be famous, I'll be infamous. So there you go, or notorious notorious.
Speaker 1: Yes, my, my, My favorite quotation from Doctor Doom is always in this one where he goes android. Would you please play back that last soliloquy of mine? I found it particularly inspiring and like I love this character like that that is that is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And finally, also in Denver, commentary from Julia Gusmond of Gasmond Immigration of Denver, Chair of the American Immigration Lawyers Association of Colorado.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, say hello, I knew she was pregnant. I was third in my class.
Speaker 1: What a strange line. My goodness, this is this is a movie made up entirely of character actors. It's the weirdest thing. And like it's when the when the most, the least character. Actory character actor is David Jansen, because at least he was the lead of the Sorry of the Fugitive all right. Moon of the Wolf is an American TV movie broadcast on September twenty sixth, nineteen seventy two as an ABC Movie of the Week. It stars David Jansen, Barbara Rush of Peyton Place, Jeffrey Lewis of Salem's Lot, Bradford Dillman. I was what was the He did a Dark Shadows remake for Aaron Spelling. And it's based on a book by Leslie H. Whitten, which I have ordered from my library because I want to read this book because it's it's Southern Gothic.
Speaker 2: The film is.
Speaker 3: I am fascinated that although it makes perfect sense for you that you think of her as from Peyton Place, and yet for me she is from it came from outer space.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. All right, Well, I haven't seen it came from outer space since the eighties, so I guess.
Speaker 2: We may we may have to do an episode on it just for.
Speaker 1: That, you know it. Yeah, A lot of this film, this movie was made in Burnside, Louisiana and the downtown of Clinton, Louisiana, and so it's a it's a very very much location heavy film in Louisiana. The sweat on these actors is real, and I mean I think it lends something to the performances. I'm not even being sarcastic. I mean, seriously, there's something heavy about this. So all right, let's get her opening thoughts Drew, Julia Tony, and then off we will go. Drew lay it on me, Moon of the You were the one who suggested this as one of your suggestions.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have only seen this movie one time before. I watched it on tub the other time before because it was a movie I remember seeing pictures from in Fangoria magazine when I was a kid. But surprise, surprise to those of you who were only born this century, all of pop culture didn't used to be available at your fingertips, and sometimes movies were hard to find and you had to wait to see them. But as a werewolf movie aficionado, I was very very happy to find finally be able to see it, and it is a lot of fun. A friend of mine, another comic book industry gentlemen, recently likened it to a check Culchak episode minus Culchak, and I think that it is is a very good description of it. I think it would be very easy to imagine Carl kind of dropped into the action of this movie.
Speaker 2: But I do love the the whole vibe of it. It. It has a.
Speaker 3: Great Southern Gothic feel, and I do think a lot of that is because it was actually shot in Louisiana. You know, Tony and I were actually talking on our group chat about how this has a very authentic, authentically Southern feeling that I don't necessarily think you would have in a modern movie. And in fact, you know, the last Texas Chainsaw massacre movie that was made was filmed in Bulgaria, So contrast this with that and you'll see.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: This has an incredibly stellar cast, in considering the fact that it's mostly character driven. It's you know, the werewolf stuff because it is a TV movie, it's it's kind of backloaded. You really don't get a lot of werewolf action until the very end, and all of the werewolf kill scenes kind of take place of off screen.
Speaker 2: What kind of sells.
Speaker 3: This movie is you get invested in the small town politics of it all, which feel very very real, particularly the class politics of it so I think this.
Speaker 2: Movie is a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: And I think if you are a fan of watching old TV movies, which I know everybody on this podcast is, and a lot of the people who listen to this podcast are fans of that as well, I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. Thank you so much, Julia. I don't know if you're as huge a TV movie fan, although I we certainly watch a lot of them because I drag you into it, unless of not being fair, But what are your what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: No, I definitely have some all time favorite movies that were TV movies, like Fatal Vision. Do you remember I loved them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, Yeah, There's there's so many actually, But anyway, this was Yeah, this was an ABC wide World of Mystery UH series movie, and it came out the week before I turned three years old. So I did not see it when it came out. You don't know, Yeah, knowing my dad, I might have very well been sitting on his lap watching it. So and then the other thing I was going to say about it is that, yeah, that the mansion, the plantation house that it's filmed at, it's called the Humus Plantation House. And it was also in Hush Hush, Sweet, Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte and Fletcher.
Speaker 1: Which we did an episode on.
Speaker 4: We did not Fletch List, though we haven't done that one. I do you like fleshlift Let's it's interesting. I think it is, you know, as long as you know it's TV movie going in, so your expectations aren't, you know, like you know, cinema level. It's a fun film. But you know, I did find myself a lot trying to figure out, you know, who's the werewolf? And I my first guess was the right one, but then I did go through a few others before we actually came around to who it was. But the first, the first character I guessed was the right guess, the right one. But it was Yeah, it was fun. I mean, I think I'm looking forward to talking about it because I kind of feel like I haven't really thought through my opinions on it yet, and I think they'll come out as we as we started talking.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. Okay, thank you very much, Tony. What do you got?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hadn't seen this before, but spotting all of the character actors in it and there's just a bunch kind of diving back into that realm where a lot of these actors and you know, actresses would appear in various TV movies. I just that was great. I thought, I'm yeah, I want to talk more about it. But there was a time period that just where they did more on location, and I guess it was probably pretty inexpensive to shoot in Louisiana, you know, and I there's something really it felt really authentic, it felt really lived in. You know, I've passed through the area. I've lived close to the area for a long you know, large parts of my life. And you know, there's kind of a blend that's there's like a gradation of East Texas into Louisiana and then back into Mississippi. There's kind of the borders of all that into Louisiana also kind of have the same similar feel and the politics are very similar that it's the Deep South.
Speaker 1: You could.
Speaker 5: I was saying also, like it's a little bit intense, and I didn't want to watch another intense movie, but I would. I would pair this up with maybe Southern Comfort, uh, you know, which is also you know, really good film as far as flavor and vibe. But yeah, I in fact that you know, I kept the more we were talking about it. I also I wonder, you know, you could just as easily make a Dark Shadows, a deep southern, deep Southern Gothic Dark Shadows, uh, you know, soap opera out of this town or a town similar to it, and I.
Speaker 1: Would watch that.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think the closest we had we got is like what True Blood, right, like that in Louisiana. But this has such a different flavor. And I also want to talk about that because and you're describing.
Speaker 1: In the heat of the night with werewolves really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sort of yeah, but like you know, supernatural, Like if you did it like Dark Shadows, it would be all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of supernatural.
Speaker 5: Yes, and yes, I would totally watch that.
Speaker 1: That would be good.
Speaker 5: But I I enjoyed this movie. But I found myself really the cultural aspects of it all and all of the again, the class system that's here and how the relationships are, like you know, from from the doctor who's kind of too good to be there but he stuck there, to just the you know, the people living in the swamp and then there's people living in town, and then the all that class system. Stuff is just perfect, and I want to talk more about that as we go along. But I really enjoyed this for a lot of reasons. Yes, it's a lower budget affair by nature, but you know, I'd stack it against a lot, like there's a lot worse movies than to spend your time on. And I was kind of drawn into it. And the mystery is cool, like Julia said, like I wonder like like the fact that was you know ABC mystery movie. That's pretty good and somebody took a chance instead of doing like a traditional mystery. They're like, Okay, so this this week's mystery movie is were Wolf. Yeah, pretty cool. I gotta say.
Speaker 1: We were talking to John Logan a couple of weeks ago, a couple of episodes ago, and I said something about Royal Dano Like, what's that Royal Dano were wolf movie? He goes, you mean Moon of the Wolf.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, this is just so many good actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I want to go straight into the topics, but the only thing I'll say is that this is this is a really well made film, and you raised a really interesting issue, like there's a TV budget, right, but if you're making a TV movie at least in nineteen seventy two. If you're making a TV movie and you know what your limitations are, you can film around it so that you wind up with something that looks like a movie. You know, that looks basically like you know it because it's a procedural and a lot of it is the sheriff trying to solve this mystery. You don't have to go crazy, you know. The toughest thing they're going to deal with is, of course the werewolf effects. But other than that, you know, it's you know, there are some really great like Salem's Lot, of course, was a TV film, you know, and yeah, I thought this was fantastic. Okay, the first thing I'd like to get into I want to talk about the cast, but I think first we should talk about Southern Gothic and the world of this film. So for the listener, if you want to see a Moon of the Wolf, it is free lots of services, so you can see it on TV. If you have a subscription to YouTube like just You two Premium, then you can watch it on YouTube and there's no ads, or you can watch it on two B it has ads. But the point is there's lots of places where you can see this movie.
Speaker 5: Did you watch it on YouTube or TV?
Speaker 1: I saw it on YouTube?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh boy boy? Is it macro blocked it? It doesn't look good at close to the end on TV.
Speaker 1: The one that I saw it didn't look that bad. But but there might be also multiple versions of it uploaded, so who knows. No.
Speaker 2: On t B.
Speaker 5: On t B, the print was, I don't think it's my it was my connection. It was no, I'm sure you're rough. I mean, it's still look good, but like that's why I was curious.
Speaker 1: You might have bet on YouTube. Yeah, but all right, so the Southern Gothic thing as a concept, and we don't actually get a lot of Southern Gothic stories anymore. And Drew pointed out this movie really takes advantage of shooting in a southern count But the whole Southern Gothic thing is you're living in a world that is It's like the lumpiness of the of the atmosphere is pulling the world apart. So everything's old, everything is sweaty, every and and the the things that define it are usually family secrets, family shame, uh, severe gradations in the community, like Tony, you were pointing out all the different layers, like all the layers, because you got the rich guy who lives with his rich sister in the plantation, and then you've got you know, middle class people and like the doctor, and then you've got civil servants like the sheriff, and then you've got like hillbillies, you know, in in the in the swamp, you got swamp people and they all know one another, and they all move amongst one another, and it's just interesting watching. Like I would say, Tony that we know what those gradations are. The movie shows them without even bothering bothering to explain them generally, you know, because it's just part of the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know Quaudia McNeil, who plays what's her Sarah, Like you know she's lives adjacent and you know she talks about like, you know, my grandfather worked for your you know, like's and you know they're with the hill abilities. But like how that all plays out, how race relations work and everything, like every there's all this well there and because I don't.
Speaker 3: Because this is Louisiana, there's there's another cultural layer because they they call the area and the swamp where all the poor people live french Town because that's where all exactly Cajun people live. And you know that's while you know, I grew up in Texas, not Louisiana. You know, there definitely was cultural and class divides like that.
Speaker 5: And well the further you go to East Texas, the more you get that absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: The the you know, the the other thing that I think is interesting about setting this in in this particular because with were wolves, you know, in the rural South, in this particular region of the United States, like there is you know, I almost wish that the movie could have spent a little bit more time on it. But there's very specific were wolf mythology of the rugaroo, which is like a swamp were wolf or a sugarcane were wolf.
Speaker 5: And not to be confused with the rugaroo with an X, which is when you had flour and butter and make a creamier are no talking about rude?
Speaker 2: I got, I understood what you were saying.
Speaker 3: It was anyway, well, you know, the the you know, they they don't deal with it too much. I mean, they have the bit about sulfur in the movie, which is, you know, again it's very specific to this particular type of were wolf mythology, which is like something that was imported from from both you know, you have thelu Guru, which is you know, imported from from France. And then of course there were were German immigrants who brought their own werewolf mythology and this all met in you know, Louisiana and Mississippi in East Texas and became this own specific you know, I hate to say.
Speaker 2: This, but American were wolf And I lied. I didn't hate saying that at all.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's it's not something we see represented in pop culture, but it still has a lot of you know, in in you know, folklore today and there's even in in I forget the town in Louisiana, but there's even particular town in Louisiana and Louisiana that every October has a rugaroo festival.
Speaker 2: So what would you call.
Speaker 4: An American werewolf in Paris?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I don't know what I mean, what's what?
Speaker 2: Uh? What would I call it?
Speaker 4: Would it be a rugaroo or or garoo?
Speaker 3: Or I think I think that it's just a werewolf at that point?
Speaker 2: What what? Wow? Now my ice a crusted.
Speaker 3: I but you know, the context of the Southern gothic thing. I think that added layer of sort of folk horror kind of adds to this.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Also you have the guy who's you know, in his deathbed, who's has the gap, and they just that's just part of like everybody's you know, if you if you're around enough people and especially uh you know, the lower class, you go or somebody will be like, oh, yeah, well you have an aunt who has the gift, or I have a my grandfather would say, you know, like the tales that add to that folk horror. That's part of this. He knows things that other people don't. They're like he just knows, like what do you mean? And the share kind of doesn't want to believe it, but also he knows like yeah, I've dealt with that, you know, like how that all those interactions are really great and adds so the really grounds it in that Deep South folk horror tradition and that I think that stuff is awesome too.
Speaker 1: The it's I want to read this book because it just strikes me has it's so neat that they decided to set it here, because it just it's such a cliche to say that the setting is almost a character. But just think about it if you had set this in like downtown Toronto or something, you know, and so you got these I don't know, you've got the rich couple and a bunch of people of rich siblings and a bunch of people who are not rich. It just wouldn't have the flavor that it does, you know. And same thing if you had put it in the French Quarter instead, you know, being in these backwards and in these you know, if you look at the house, the buildings outside, the old man, you know his where he's convalescing, those buildings are falling down, and it's amazing looking, you know, it really real place.
Speaker 3: I also think the relationships in this, you know, follow that certain Southern Gothic tradition and it adds because like, really, if you were to just do this as a random werewolf movie, it would feel quite generic.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying about.
Speaker 3: The the place making it giving it character.
Speaker 2: Like I really love.
Speaker 3: I talked about this with Tony before we started recording, but one of the things I love most in this movie is when the cop, the sheriff, the sheriff, yeah, goes the visit the the you know, the rich, the rich gentleman and the Southern gentleman and his sister and in in you know, their home, and the sister reveals that she used to have a crush on on the sheriff when they were in junior high. And then he said, oh, well, I had a crush on you too, And then after she goes back in the si back inside, in the most genteel Southern way possible, he says, essentially, no, I am not letting my sister, who is from a good family, data policeman, and that that is so, you know, that sort of upper crusty southernness, like, oh no, you have to be with somebody from a good family. Yeah, you know, it doesn't matter that you're the top cop of this town.
Speaker 2: Like that's not good enough. You could see you.
Speaker 4: Could see the disdain on his face immediately. At first I didn't know there was there were I didn't know they were siblings. I was like, is this her husband, and she's just like flirting in front of him, and I was like, oh no, it's the brother.
Speaker 1: He just really is disgusted by the idea.
Speaker 2: You're the help. You're the help. My sister is not going to date the help.
Speaker 3: And that still goes on, like if you were to be if you were to go to a small southern town right now, that pattern of behavior still exists, and there's this very polite way of telling someone to fuck off without actually saying fuck off, and that actor nails it like it's it's so let's talk.
Speaker 4: About Yeah that is it's the Blessed, It's the Blessed, bless his heart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, there's so much really great dialogue that this is something I'm you know, sorry to know on this a little bit longer, Jason, But I don't know. I mean, we're we're what fifty years out from this is the.
Speaker 1: Seventies, Yeah, this nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so we're we're you know, but it's it's more rare now in my opinion, that you see that you have dialogue that's written. And I don't know if it's just people like maybe the writer knew either ay either the really good writers, or they knew the area in a way, you know, like they knew how to build this. And I don't know if it's just you get a bunch of people who aren't as familiar and maybe don't know, like it's like if you tried to ape Stephen King, you're gonna have a hard time unless you kind of know that. But I was really struck by all of those layers that Drew's been talking about. But also there there was a lot there's there was a lot more of this in the seventies and into the eighties. And even though it's done kind of hamp bistedly, like there's a even if you go with like the dukes of Hazard Route, there's still like a touch of the flavor that's still.
Speaker 2: There, you know that.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's hazard, but it's still had. There's there's stuff there that that touches in the Deep South in a way that I think modern stuff that I've seen is kind of set in Louisiana or around there doesn't feel as authentic. And I'm really, I still really curious what that is, Like, is it familiarity that was there before? Is it just you know, being steeped in that, Like I'm unsure, But all the dialogue that takes place in the and the layers that are there really work, And then you know, I and I really like actually their interaction was just really charming. That's why I thought about the soap opera aspect. Yes, you know, they're kind of going back and forth, and oh, you know, I wish I would have known that you had a crush. But now that there's there's a lot there, like, I think that elevates it beyond kind of like there's a bunch that's not when you when you say.
Speaker 2: Oh, movie of the week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think.
Speaker 5: There's a there's a lot of it's multi layered in a way that you wouldn't expect when you when you hear movie of the week as a as a term for this.
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree with that. I mean, you're right because a lot of times it will be sort of generic because it's just taking place in and around, in and around a city like Los Angeles or what have you. Whereas this, yes, this knows a lot about that world. And by the way, to answer your question about you know, how familiar is the writer? So I don't know much about Leslie H. Whitten. He's the one who wrote the book. But the director is Daniel Petrie. Now he is not part of this world at all. He was a Canadian and he came to the United States and taught at Northwestern and directed Raisin in the Sun, which by the way, starred Claudia McNeil, so he brings her over from having directed Raisin the Sun, which I think is awesome.
Speaker 5: I mean that might be part of the foundation for it, right because.
Speaker 1: It's, yeah, he's aware of how to play all these characters from different parts of life off of one another. For sure. I think we can linger on all of that because I want to talk about some of these actors in particular, because we'll get to Bradford Dillman, but David Jansen. I wish I understood how people thought about David Jansen, because David Jansen is the star of this movie, and he's the one with the romantic storyline, and he's the one who's investigating, and yet with the hair that he has and the sideburns and the paunch and the slumping and the grumbling, I'm always liked, did anybody go David Janssen sex god like that? It was there was? You know, have things changed so much since the seventies that back then David Jansen was a heart throb or was always just a character actor that people just that was beloved of people, You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Both things can be true because there's plenty of character actors that a lot of people find really attractive. Like there's a lot of movies where Yeah, I mean, I was telling I was joking when we were leaving we went to see Weapons last night. I was joking seeing all the posters that Pedro Pascal is on and by the way, he was meant to be in Weapons also, But I was joking that it's like that Jonathan episode of Buffy where the reality he has shifted to the Jonathan's the center of the universe, and I'm like, it's Pedro Pascal. Pedro Pascal is not traditionally just hot, but he's very sexy because of how he is, you know, so he's become this heart. But if you were to look at a picture of Pedro Pascal and a picture of Chris Almans and Chris Hemsworth, you'd be like, Okay, I get those two, but that guy really like how he was like the center of.
Speaker 2: The universe in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, I feel like that's kind of what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't Jamie thinks he's he's really hot, so I I'll have to ask about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody thinks he's hot, but I don't think that if you just looked at a picture of him.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think he's better looking than I think he's better looking than me, but that doesn't say anything.
Speaker 2: He's also a movie star.
Speaker 4: I will I will not comment on this.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that I'm not asking you too. That would be.
Speaker 4: Awkward, Pascal for coming next to like the traditional you know, just like hot guy.
Speaker 1: I don't know that you would recognize.
Speaker 3: And the super in the sphere of superhero movies. I will say this, it does help that he is playing a character that's his biggest muscle is his brain, like he's not supposed to be He's not supposed to be thor I think Jami actually just.
Speaker 2: Walked Jimmy actually, Jimmy actually just walked in here, hold on here. Never mind.
Speaker 1: Then, I don't necessarily want us to go off on a pedro Pascal hunt. I'm curious about David Janssen.
Speaker 5: So Jason, I think to your point, though, I think that also in this era, the heart robby kind of actors, or the actors who were considered attractive, I think they did also skew older. When you think of TV like look at look at what's out right? Like you're like heart heart and you know whatever, like you name it. There's a bunch of older actors and acts.
Speaker 1: That's a good point because Darren McGavin also is kind of a krusty you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but like I just I just pulled one.
Speaker 3: Out, like hold hold the phone, like whatever you think about this Sky Jason, he's better looking than Darren McGavin.
Speaker 1: I love David Jensen, don't get me wrong. And I loved The Fugitive by the way, David Jensen not for nothing, forty one years old in this movie forty one or that one.
Speaker 5: You're more so at the same time, you have like so you have like the other end of the spectrum, be like hardy boys, right. Yeah, But I would say that in general during this time period, you do have a lot of older actors who are considered the heart props and less and you and it's kind of like, now we kind of reached this like oh, well, you got to have hot person of a certain age with a certain look. And I also that that well hold up. I think also that gets typecast because you have the other thing where you have oh, it's a CW cast, right, and that became like the movies like oh, it's like looks like c W. Right, Yeah, young attractive people.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean think about the Fog remake where.
Speaker 1: We had yes, exactly exact guy from.
Speaker 3: From Smallville playing right like, but I mean, of course that's now twenty something.
Speaker 1: But they took you're right because the original The Fog has all the character actors in it and did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like.
Speaker 3: My point about this guy is that he is good looking in a way that he would be considered good looking in a small town, right, but he is also believably a sheriff, Like he looks like he could do the job, which, to Tony's point, I do think they used to care a lot more about that authen like you can believe that this this attractive you know, well to do woman is attracted to him because he's handsome and charismatic enough. Yes, you know, like I never once questioned that she she has a thing for.
Speaker 2: Him, mamily. I mean he's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that you know again when we are introduced to them, they have a history, yes, so that and that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: But I also, like Julia just hit something on the head.
Speaker 3: Manliness is its own kind of attractiveness, Like, like it's not you know, like it's why we say certain people look rugged, you know, like that's not you know, like like Clint.
Speaker 4: Eastwood, why there's fireman calendars? You know, yeah, well just and they go, yes, please, And it doesn't matter what the guy looks like.
Speaker 2: He's fireball.
Speaker 3: And I mean even in in gay culture, you know, which is generally more physically fit than than heteros. The uh you know you have bear you know, which are big burly dudes, and so like, you know, like it's it's it's not as improbable as you think it is.
Speaker 2: Jason, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's improbable. I asked the question more to sort of take a look at at sort of how things have changed. I feel like there was room for David Jansen, a forty one year old guy who looks about fifty eight, to be the star of and romantic lead of this movie. And thank god for the rest of us poor well.
Speaker 3: You know he I think you're doing him at disservice. I don't think he looks fifty eight, but.
Speaker 2: You know, I.
Speaker 1: Well, look fifty, look fifty. Something is different now from what it was in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is true because he.
Speaker 1: Can get his hair different into you know, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: But he would look also look less like a small town cop if he for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that's that's exactly the fog problem is once you get rid of the lived in sorts of actors, then it feels more like like a CW show would have.
Speaker 3: You would have a scene, you would have the obliglatory scene where he shows off his Jim jim perfectly sculpted apps and you know, like.
Speaker 1: But only one guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there's a big difference though, too. Like Rain was watching some man I can't remember the name of it, but it's a you know, thriller mystery soap opera show, and you know, all the guys have like a generic facial hair and very are very chiseled, and they're the bad guys and they're the cops, and they're like, all these guys look really similar and you know, and by the standards today, they're all attractive guys, right and and they but I'll be damned if I know who like, I'll pass by and watch it. I don't know, like they don't have the real Another reason why we keep saying lived in is they everybody looks everybody looks like the character, and that's part of like, hey, let's hire a bunch of good actors who also happen to be character actors. We're gonna put him in this thing. And I think, yeah, I think if you you, I think you hit on the head with the difference between original fog and the new fog. Like that, we tend to get more of what the new fog looks like in in conventional cinema as it is now conventional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I also.
Speaker 5: Think it's the same, right.
Speaker 2: I think there's.
Speaker 3: Also a homogeny of what you're supposed to think is attractive. Now you know, you're you're only allowed one or two types.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Barbara.
Speaker 3: Rush, getting this into the direction that Jason wants to go, is the most movie star looking person in this movie. She's she's stunning, she's on her clothes. But yeah, continued, she works because of where her social standing is, like she should be a little bit more glamorous because she's supposed to be well off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what Jason was saying, I did feel like all of the clothes and I don't know if it's just the clothes of that time, they all look like somebody made them out of one of those patterns that you could get at the you know, at the local fabric store.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I do think. I think that that's probably pretty close from I mean, yeah, that is the disservice of the Stephanie. There's a lot of fashions like, oh, why is everything drapes right?
Speaker 2: Her hair is? Her hair is amazing?
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, she's beautiful.
Speaker 5: She's supposed to be because she's you know, her standing is head and shoulders above pretty much everybody else in the movie.
Speaker 3: And I also really like that this is a romance that is, first of all played very sweet and almost yeah, and it's between two people in their forties, which I don't think you would see now.
Speaker 1: Isn't that great? I mean it is. It's it's it's kind of cool. Well, I mean I say this as an older person, you know, but it is. It's it's cool to see them sort of fumbling their way through this this romance. They're sweet, her in her pants suits, it's it's it's really neat. Bradford Dilman, who plays the douchebag, who says, well, you don't suppose that my sister was seriously flirting with you. Blah blah blah. That guy plays a douchebag in every single thing I've ever seen him in. I I it's like it's on his punchable face that like some some casting director said, yep, get me a Bradford Dillman.
Speaker 5: I always wonder. I'm sure there's a bunch of people who are just great people, but there's certain actors who always play that. Yes, I kind of you start you do start to wonder, like are you how close?
Speaker 1: Is that sucks?
Speaker 5: I because you know, I there's there's several people who just like when you ever see him, you're like, oh, they're gonna play the guy you just want to hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they never they.
Speaker 5: Seem to get a lot of work there. But then I wonder, like, how long can you were they that person? And how long can you be that character in all these movies and not have it rub like at least a little bit. I'm always curious about you.
Speaker 2: Know, he probably was a great guy, like I.
Speaker 6: Always assume, But then, like you know, it's it's always it's always strange when you have a character character actor who's like very specific, like.
Speaker 5: It's not like villain villain, but like a really like, oh, that guy just gets he's it might be his general upper crusty southernness in this movie.
Speaker 2: I would describe this guy as a cat.
Speaker 1: That is, that is delightfully punishable. He uh. In real life, so he had two marriages, one from fifty six to sixty two, and then he married again in sixty three and remained married until two thousand and three when his wife died. So so I don't know, you know, somebody could stand him for a long time. Probably this is acting and he's like, you know, but boy, he's good at playing a smug asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, in fairness, he's the title character.
Speaker 3: Yes, which I know that this is supposed to be a mystery. Yeah, but not once did I think anybody else was the werewolf the first time I saw this, like I knew.
Speaker 4: Well, I was hoping, Yeah, he seemed obvious, But then I was hoping that he was too obvious, Like I was like, maybe it's that turns out to be the sister, or maybe it turns out it's actually the sheriff, or maybe it turns out it's actually the doctor. You know, because it seemed too obvious.
Speaker 3: For it's it wasn't, because this is a Southern Gothic it had to be somebody that was rich like that could have been the sister if they wanted to be even you know, something more tragic, but it was going to be somebody. And indeed, like when we when we learned the origin of the lycanthropy, it's it's something that's apparently passed down through the family line, so like it's it's you know, it's it's almost as if there were wolf ism and their their affluence are kind of tied together, and they're they're literally feeding on the poor, which is probably it's it's probably you know that that's probably more of a high falutin idea than anybody involved with this was thinking. But you know, I mean it is it works very well within the Southern Gothic framework.
Speaker 5: I mean, if it was you know, close, and that would be close to reality. In fact, the closest reality would be if somebody else knew, the doctor or a judge or somebody. Yeah, we know that they're we know that they're rich, and they are also wear wolves, but they only kind of eat the poor, so we kind of let them like that. That would definitely happen, no doubt about in my mind that if if it came out like yeah, but they gotta let him eat the poor because like that that absolutely, hands down, there would be some people who knew and just look the other way that I'm convinced.
Speaker 3: The Jeffrey Lewis character is definitely set up as like a red herring, like right down to the fact that his name is Lawrence y you know, and.
Speaker 1: And lewis playing the same part that he plays in Salem's Lot more or less.
Speaker 3: And he's even left handed, which is a bit of where wolf folklore, because where wolves, people who are left handed were thought to be where wolves.
Speaker 1: So you know that's really they're they're stress this family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know the.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey Lewis, let's linger on him for just a moment, because he's another just ultra reliable. Look, David Jansen's a star. Okay, he's not a character actor. He's he was the lead of a bunch of TV shows, including The Fugitive. But Jeffrey Lewis is a character actor. Tried and true. He he and when I was a kid, he was everywhere like he just yeah, he's on so many movies and he's wonderful. I have no idea what he was like as a person, you know, which is true of several of these people, because I feel the same way about Royal Dan, and I've got no idea like but Jeffrey Lewis is so good at playing these sort of rough around the edges, although not typically malevolent characters, you know, And and like I guess Juliet Lewis could tell us what he was like. But yeah, it's so good seeing him, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he he has a very very very interesting look about him that could imply malevolence, which is why he makes such a striking vampire in Salem's Lot, and so you can kind of believe that he's a were wolf. But I again, I never would have suspected him because I just you just know, it's not going to be one of the poor people.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That did not even occur to me. But I guess you're right that that I didn't really suspect him of being a were wolf. I knew it was gonna You're exactly right. I didn't even think about it. You're articulating something that was going on without my actually thinking it aloud, which there was no way it was going to be anybody but essentially part of the upper crust.
Speaker 4: Or I was hoping it would be the doctor maybe because I thought that would have been fun.
Speaker 1: That guy's from General Hospital, by the way, and doctor doctor werewolf EMPD Yes.
Speaker 4: Doctor doctor third in my class, m d. Doctor knocked out the dead woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doctor third in your class is not the flex you think it is.
Speaker 1: What an amazing guy. That was where I thought this script is a little funny because this actor saying these lines like I couldn't stay away from this young woman. Then I gave her a bubble too of a musicer like it that I like this guy being here. There's something funny and counterintuitive about it.
Speaker 2: But who starts their life over at fifty?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I think he's also like I like that once because he's trying to just, you know, I gotta do my doctor thing. And then the more he talks, the more you realize this is a man trapped in a place he did not see himself being trapped in, yes, and he just kind of well, I'm stuck in you know, b F Louisiana, and that's my lot in life. And that's why eventually he comes to this lee. They can't start over in the city at fifty. Nobody's you know, but his life the.
Speaker 1: Word fifty by the way, because well I think he left behind a few years ago.
Speaker 5: Well but but you know, his whole thing is I'm stuck with these rubes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm not much better, but I have my you know, I feel like I am because I'm a doctor.
Speaker 1: Right, He's this giant fish in a little pond. And if and that's kind of what he really means is that he has station here.
Speaker 5: You know, if he but suck, it's a cage. It's like it's a cage for him as well as you know, Hey, he's the he gets respect in ways that he might not elsewhere. Certainly not like you know, go to the city is what he's talking about. Third year class as a matter in the city, right, and probably if you're starting over well yeah, but but you know, like so he's he's comfortable. And that's part of why, you know, why he's got the young girl and and all of you know, all these all this stuff that's happening is because he's definitely in a place he never envisioned himself. And throughout the movie, it's just getting worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that that is a that is a really cool character and it makes me want to read this book even more. And as you're talking about it, Yeah, this is a procedural so setting up these different, these different you know, possible culprits. Right, because the Sarah, the nurse, says, find out who made the girl pregnant. That's going to be your your bad guy. And but David Jansen.
Speaker 4: Essentially why I wanted him to be the werewolf because I wanted her to be right that he's the one I knocked her up, so therefore he killed her.
Speaker 1: Right, But no, it was it wasn't that at all.
Speaker 5: And you know, also the the the other part of the dynamic in this is when she's talking to the sheriff. Because of the politics of the town, not the sheriff has to listen because he knows he's got to be everywhere. But she also knows that. The part of the reason she hasn't said anything elsewhere is because she knows her voice won't be heard. Yeah, the sheriff is the only person by by default, even though he's like a nicer guy. Yeah, you could play this a bunch of ways. You know, he could be much worse, but you know he's there to listen to everyone. Yeah, And so part of the reasons she's cagey in the way that she is until she's talking to him is because you know, in this town she doesn't have any or doesn't have as much hand, you know, because like it's certainly, certainly she's not the one who can speak against the doctor.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, and there's a there's a thing. So you could present the sheriff in a lot of different ways, because he could be an evil, corrupt sheriff, but in this case, you have a good sheriff. And in a mystery, typically and usually it's a pi. What what distinguishes the hero in one of these stories is that they're kind of an insider outsider. They're an insider that can move through all They can move up and down, they can go to the lowliest cabin, they can go to the biggest house. They can kind of put up with people being snied to them no matter what, you know. And that's a cool character that you know, and it's true, like everybody knows they can talk to this guy. Look, he's he's investigating this murder and he's hanging out with all the people who might be the culprit, like all the way through which I which I find strange and comforting really that that he's like, yeah, well, why don't you come along? It's it's right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and apparently this guy does know he's a were wolf because he kept a gun fully loaded with silver bullets in his home, so like he's he's really only hanging out with the sheriff, either to find out how much the sheriff knows or I don't know.
Speaker 2: Convenient meal, I don't know.
Speaker 4: The lord doesn't include silver bullets in this one. It's blessed bullets because I don't think.
Speaker 2: Well she said blessed blessed silver bullets.
Speaker 4: Oh doesssed silver bullets?
Speaker 3: Okay, but burning or blessed silver bullets either. Either way, he knows he's a were wolf. He's got he's got he's got a gun loaded up with with the magic bullets in the in the in his home.
Speaker 1: So yeah, in a sense, he's biding his time until he finally reveals himself and and and gets himself killed by his sister, which by the way, is also wonderfully she she's great.
Speaker 2: In the last scene though, like is harrowing? Is that all is yea for her?
Speaker 3: You know, like she's not exactly a shrinking violet like she becomes you know, like she becomes basically the hero and the last section of the movie, you know, like she's taken care of taking care of business what.
Speaker 1: Barbara Stanwick wasn't available and and so you know we have we have Barbara Barbara Russia. But that's exactly a Standwarik kind of thing.
Speaker 3: She What's interesting to me is like the mixture of like classic where we'll movie lore with like the the you know, the Rugarou stuff, because like you have this guy having a seizure because he smelled the sulfur. But also you know, they mentioned the whole bit about you know, him seeing a pentagram in the palm of his next victim, which is is you know, a straight lift from the wolf Man. You know, it's not it's not something from Rugaru stuff. So like it's like sort of like mix mix and match where wolf folks, which is fine, you know, like it's it's okay, I'm not complaining. I just I just find that they use like were wolf shorthand for one thing, but then they'll introduce something completely you know, specific to the setting, like the sulfur, and you know that that's.
Speaker 2: Cool to me.
Speaker 3: She does try to burn her brother alive, which is a lot dark like he he ends up getting shot, which is a is a much nicer way to go that, presumably even if you're a werewolf.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is I do kind of like that, and we kind of know we know why he's having the seizure or we're pretty sure, but I do like the in world story where it's also could just be like, well, you know the rich are kind of weak bread like there's a yeah, well, well there's there's always the like, yeah, well the rich folks are kind of have their their problem. Their blood problems are their face like like all the kind of in breeding slash, you know, all the maladies of the rich. It kind of makes sense to like, yeah, it was always a sickly one, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, and he's even he's even saying that his sister is sickly. You know, like yes, you half expect him to go, well, I how to how to touch us the vapor buzz right, right.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we we're okay with that given the you know, royalty just sometimes as these maladies.
Speaker 1: Isn't that wild? Like once this world fantastic? Yeah, I mean you accept it because you're in this Southern Gothic world. Anytime there's these weeping willows around everywhere, suddenly it's you can hear people talk about these sort of silly nineteenth century ideas of medicine and everything, and you go, yeah, okay, sure, because we've suspended all all scientific rules and we're we're in weird Southern Gothic lands now.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I you know, I also like the werewolf, and again they're smart. We only kind of see the wholf and it's a very human looking werewolf. But I also liked the jail break in yes it and I guess you know so also I was thinking the closest I think we've had to like a Precinct thirteen with werewolves's probably dog soldiers, right. But I would also totally watch, and I don't know if I've seen it, a oopster happens to be a werewolf in prison. That that is a movie I would also watch. That would be cool.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds like alien in a prison.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you could do a lot with that. But anyway, I was like, I was it made you know, that said all kinds of wheels in motion, Uh seeing that because you know, we don't I guess, you know, I guess the original world, you know Werewolf movies, he's he hides in the in the jail to try to like, hey, lock me in here. We have the opposite where he's trying to cover up you know, the Werewolve's trying to cover up his trail. Yeah, totally busting into the like all that. That's that stuff was cool. It's you know, strong as hell, like, yeah, that's and that's at the point where they know, like this isn't just a murderer. This this whatever is going on, can rip the whole you know, doors off of a cell.
Speaker 1: All because none of them are strong enough to tear out iron bars.
Speaker 5: I thought that was that was cool. That was unexpected and interesting and made me think about a lot of stuff that could be written then would be awesome. But I think in here it's really solid. Plus they have the you know, before this, they do have the like, yeah, sleep it off kind of the almost Maybury.
Speaker 1: Like yes, yeah we know you're here, but.
Speaker 5: You know we know you and that that stuff is truly only really happens in small towns because everybody knows each other and like, yeah, like we got to keep you here, but we all kind of know. Yeah, I thought that all that stuff, all that stuff is really great, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Is We've been all over the place, mainly making our way through by talking about themes and actors. But is there anything that we should bring up that that that I've missed, because I, you know, my main thing that I wanted to make sure. Oh yeah, Royal Dano. Royal Dano here plays you know, the Tom Germandy's this this grumbly old guy in the in this shack with his son played by John Davis Chandler. And I think it's hilarious by the way that on the night of the murder he had gone to the movies, which I thought was was great. You know that this this guy, you know, he's he's such a strange character with his grumbling voice and everything. I don't know what Royal Dano was like. He may have been a really wonderful, genteel person. He always plays this cantankerous country.
Speaker 2: Except when he's Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Except for when he's Abraham Lincoln. And that's the thing that makes it really interesting, like I want to know more about Royal Danel.
Speaker 3: Royal Royal Dano has one of the best exchanges with the sheriff in this movie because the sheriff asks him where you know, did you He's asking him if he he put his son, his adult son to bed that night, and the Royal Dane points out, no, my son is a grown up.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't check in on.
Speaker 5: All of that. All that was great, like.
Speaker 3: The he is the sort of actor though, like the exact sort of actor that we're talking about.
Speaker 2: That just adds like.
Speaker 3: You believe that he is this guy that lives in a shack on the side of a swamp, you know, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and again the people they got and the dialogue and how it all works together, like you get that they live out here and they deal with all this stuff all the time. I also like that interaction because the subtext is, look, man, we live in the swamp, but we're not stupid, right weirdos like give me a break, go back to town, you know, like come on, Like but there's that that you know, look, I know how you think of me, but come on, and that it's it's just layered so well, I just keep as I was watching it, it just felt it's so lived in and believable, and that doesn't I don't think that that happens as much as people would like in cinema these days. And I don't again, I don't know exactly what. And then there's there's good examples of that, and there's just good storytelling, but there's just something about this period of time and kind of how this all works again that's elevated, I think, beyond a TV movie. Not that, and like I said before, like you don't expect it because of the usual budgets and stuff that you get, or that that maybe a lot and also you know, in a lot of TV movies it's kind of a more more overly dramatic. There's a certain style and I kept coming back to it in this movie that just you could take the work. You could even it could be a different mystery. It could be a murder mystery without the werewolf. I think again, I love that it has the werewolf, but it could be a murder mystery. It would be just as effective and probably not as memorable, maybe, I think, because that's part of what the charm. Yeah, yeah, the werewolf aspect is a supernatural aspect that makes it different. But you again when you said, like, oh, you want supernatural plus.
Speaker 1: In the heat of the night, Like, yeah, yes, but in the it does work a lot better when you go ahead and and like I like Peyton plays. But one of the big problems was that they cut out the poor people. They decided, for whatever reason, that the audience wanted to watch the middle class and the rich. And what it made the book really saucy was all of that class stuff, and you know, and they cut all that out of the TV series until much much later, several seasons and so but in the Heat but you can do it, and you should and it makes it memorable, but you got to be kind of brave to deal with all of that stuff. Dano, by the way, was in Messiah of the Evil, which I can't remember what year that came out, but he plays He plays the father of the main character is trying to this woman's trying to figure out why there's this weird zombie outbreak in California, and he shows up halfway through just to warn her to leave. And he's just it's not even a very big part, and he's so memorable. He just elevates everything that he's in. And yes, he is memorialized now as a robot at Disneyland or wherever.
Speaker 2: Wherever Robo Lincoln Lincoln.
Speaker 1: I mean, gosh, would it be neat by the way, if there were an emergency at Disneyland, and so robo Lincoln comes comes to life at night and goes and and and solves it all.
Speaker 3: And it's I think Robo Lincoln should come to life and become president.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it sounds like it's a j like Magnola adjacent what you're talking.
Speaker 1: About, Like, yeah, I was gonna say it's the screwing head. Yeah. So anyway, all right, having having but also.
Speaker 5: Watch a film full of animatronics, like all the all of the animatronics walk off and they become assassins.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a it's it's a reverse five Nights. Instead of being up to evil, they're they're doing uh, they're gonna do good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just wander around doing good. They break they break into Congress and give them a lot of advice and how to write legislation. And then yeah, the whole of the the idea of the Hall of Presidents just wandering off to do good in the land is a hilarious is a hilarious idea.
Speaker 5: That's just where my head is. I I just pictured an army of Lincoln's killing Nazis or you know, white supremacists. Oh my god, oh my god, this army of robo Lincoln's has invaded our clan rally.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: I like, I like, I mean, I like the idea of doing good. That's probably a better thing. But also I would watch.
Speaker 1: You can do both. I guarantee you. We can fit all of this in.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe the Benjamin Franklins go to Congress and help and then robo Lincoln's take up their axes an.
Speaker 1: Idea because they also invariably have robo Mark Twain voiced by Hal Holbrook.
Speaker 5: And and oh, I think he's the I think robo Mark Twain is the one that's fousing.
Speaker 1: Well, he's the lead.
Speaker 5: I think he's the general, remarks as the robo Lincoln just pull uh the robot.
Speaker 4: Isn't there a Lincoln Vampire hunter already?
Speaker 1: So just there is. But luckily it's about ten years back, so we got plenty of room.
Speaker 2: We actually did that one on the show a million years ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, I met somebody at a baby birthday party who their husband and does a horror movie podcast, and she was saying, Oh, yeah, he's got it. He's got a he's got a lot of episodes. He's he's just done like his hundredth episode. And I I swear I'm not a prick, but in the back of my mind, I was like, Oh, how quaint.
Speaker 5: No, you got a leadist in your mind about the show. I don't know, that's funny.
Speaker 3: I felt slightly ashamed, but not so ashamed that I won't be confessional about it.
Speaker 2: The uh.
Speaker 1: By the way, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. So our friends over at Mounster really Happy Hour did an episode on that, and I think the funniest thing was hearing them remark in the kind of sense they were like, you know, I think the history I'm paraphrasing, but it was like, the history is a little problematic in this film.
Speaker 2: That there weren't vampires involved the war.
Speaker 1: Well, actually it's less that and more that they just kind of jumbled up a whole bunch of stuff involving both the Civil War and the President of the United States.
Speaker 3: And I remember, I just remember that that movie was very divisive when we recorded an episode on it like that was like strangely heated. I may be misremembering, but I remember that Tony and I liked it, and you and Julia very much did not like it, and I and I remember that being one of the more device like.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I could be mis remembering. I could be misremembering.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to go back and re listen to it now, even though I'm sure even well, like when I do go back and revisit our old episodes, inevitably, I am always shocked at how terrible the sound on my recording sounds. But you know, and hopefully it's better now.
Speaker 5: But you get to four score, the less you remember, Jason.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, I'm I don't know.
Speaker 2: There were top hats and there was an axe, and there was.
Speaker 1: Probably a lot more pretentious several hundred episodes ago.
Speaker 3: Uh, once you, once you've done Vampire Hookers, all bets are off.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is that's why there's no consistency in my in me on this show, because I'll at once go this Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is preposterous, and then like two weeks later Ago Vampire Hookers actually has a lot to recommend it.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, I think that I think that that also speaks to horror phantom at large in a way.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm with you that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it did have John Kerry. So that's but all right, getting back to for for those like three listeners who are left, getting back to the Moon of the Wolf, we should get our final thoughts and then go to endorsements. So Drew, Gosh, this was fun to talk about. Give me your final thoughts on Moon of the Wolf.
Speaker 3: I am glad that we came back on this obscure nineteen seventy two TV movie because somehow, when we started coming to this discussion about what our first episode back, I somehow decided I was going to send a fourteen movie long list to everyone on our group chat, and after much debate, we somehow ended on this movie. And yet, and yet, through that somewhat convoluted system, this ended up being the right decision because this conversation was a joy, and I think that is what I needed tonight of all nights, is to dissect this wonderfully wacky TV movie with.
Speaker 5: Y'all thinks like trust the system, system work from the outside it may look like chaos, but look look where we always get.
Speaker 1: Julia, what are your thoughts.
Speaker 4: I think this has been a fun conversation. Yeah, I think the characters are interesting. Uh, but I do feel the TV movie of the weakness of this film. I do think that there's it's got a lot going for it, apparently more than the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, given what Drew has said that we said about it, and uh yeah, but it's mostly just been great to be back with you guys chatting since we've been away for a summer hiatus. So it's been it's been.
Speaker 1: Good, wonderful, Thank you very much. By the way, can you actually build address with a macrome chest? Is that a thing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, they just they just whatever you call it, and it I guess the little I really do feel like the costume people just made her dresses because they do seem very you know, like straight out of a pattern book. But yeah, I think that they macro made that little chest piece and then just sewed it onto them.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, I mean that's just really neat. I like all that stuff. Okay, Tony, what about you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, if I think it's obvious, I really like the setting, and I think it's yeah, the budget is what it is because you do a lot off camera, but I was I just really dug it. I think you could add in a bunch of different features that kind of feel like this, and you'd have a whole night of deep Southern mystery and loathing if you want to. And that's good. But I you know, it's probably the fact that I'm older, but there's a certain there's There's also the aspect of how much this is a character actor driven film that I probably have some nostalgia for, with a bunch of character actors.
Speaker 1: That I recognize.
Speaker 5: But saying that everybody's just super solid and everybody elevates this in unexpected ways. I'm with Drew that I'm glad that we picked this one because it kind of came out of left field and it was the one I didn't know I needed to see, And yet here we are, wonderful. I really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad that we watched it as well. I really, honestly, I am just thrilled anytime we can return to nineteen seventies TV movies. For some reason, this is a special happy thing for me.
Speaker 2: So there we go and.
Speaker 1: That's good enough for me. Let's get our endorsements. I'm dying to know, and to be honest, I'm not even sure what I'm going to say. It's like we're ordering at a restaurant and I'm just hoping that I'll know what I'm going to say by the time the white person gets around to me. Drew, what do you have for us? Well, well, you just got here from comic Con, so you might not know either.
Speaker 3: I well, no, I want to recommend a graphic novel called by Eric Powell of The Goon fame, But it is not like The Goon.
Speaker 2: I have to stress that it is called.
Speaker 3: Look What Eddie Gean Had What Eddie Gean Had Done? And as you can guess by the name, it is a biographical comic that is about the notorious grave robber Cannibal maybe serial killer at Geen and it is one of the most disturbing things that I have ever read. So your mileage may vary because I am not normally, despite my general interest in creepy things, I am not always a true crime guy. But this is this is a part of a series that Powell is doing. He actually just put out out the second part, which is about Frederick Wortham, the infamous psychiatrists that had people burning comic books in the streets, and that one's called Doctor Worthless, and I'm going to eventually get around to getting that one is as well. But it's incredibly creepy. The artwork is beautiful. If you are interested in true crime, I think you will like it. But even if you are just have a general interest in the macabre and pop culture, I think that you'll find it interesting. But also I want to recommend that everyone listening to this podcast go to their local bookstore or local comic book shop. Take a moment, and you should say, hey, clerk working behind the counter, no doubt, working hard. I would like to order a copy of the Halloween man Omnibus Volume one from Red five Comics, because that is coming out on September thirtieth. So I am now full on in the hype train right now, and I have.
Speaker 2: Seen this thing now. I saw copies of it at San Diego Comic Con. It is beautiful.
Speaker 3: All the pages have been remastered, like the coloring and the artwork has been you know, tuned up, so like with you know, it's it's it's hard to describe. But it's the same coloring but just refined to a point and the same thing with the lettering. So this is the best these pages have ever looked in print. And if you are people are always like for decades now they're like, oh, why can't we get a mass market Halloween Man paperback?
Speaker 2: Well here you go.
Speaker 3: If you want further volumes, please support this now because I really want there to be volume three, Volume two, volume four. Uh you know like this, this is this, The time is now.
Speaker 2: Show your support.
Speaker 3: This book is worth It also has an all new intro by friend of the podcast, John Logan, So oh cool, yeah worth it worth every penny.
Speaker 2: And that's that's me for this week.
Speaker 1: I guess wonderful. Thank you so much. That was that was fantastic. Uh, Julia, I don't know what do you got to what do you what do you have to endorse?
Speaker 4: We're going to make our the third reference to our friend John Logan in this episode and recommend if you have the opportunity to see the live touring production of Mulin Rouge that was written that the book is written by John Logan, actually do so because it is brilliant. It's so good, so fun, and exciting and interesting, lots of great music. It's very funny in the first act and very moving in the second act. Really really good show. So and I know it'll be coming around near many people, so if you have the chance, go and see it. I also want to endorse Weapons, starring Julia Garner and Josh Brolin. It is so scary.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: We were talking about how scary it was. I couldn't sleep last night. I'm like dragging today because I had not sleep after watching it. So yes, those are my two.
Speaker 1: Fantastic Tony, what do you got. I've been watching a lot.
Speaker 5: Of TV, and you know there's movies I've seen that I really enjoyed. We actually, we actually enjoyed the New Naked Gun. It was really funny. It was fun to version good crowd. The draft House has also been showing a Samurai the new game Ghost to Go Tie, the sequel to Ghost Tushima is coming out, and we've been showing Samurai movies. So I got to see the first Zatuichi movie in the theater, and this past week was Lady Snowblood and I really I recommend that in the Stray Cat Rocks movies. Even though they're kind of pinky violence movies. I don't I don't know if they're for everyone, but you know, in accuracies in Lady Snowblood is in that. I think Arrow may have still had the Stray cat Rocks set in print. But I just I've been really enjoying. There's been really good crowds. It's kind of cool to see Samurai cinema. They're gonna do Thirteen Assassins, they're gonna do Lone Wolf and Cub and then I'm linking back. They're also doing Ron so I think it's through all the Criterion. You know, Janis Productions nice, so they looked. Man, it was beautiful to see Lady Snowblood on a big screen with a good crowd. So I do recommend, if you're like minded, check out the Samurai series that's going on at the Draft House. And if you can't catch that, then definitely pick up the Criterion ones and you know, do your own screenings at home. I've also been enjoyed the new season of Twisted Metal. They finally go into the in San via the video game, and I think, I don't know, I didn't expect it to work, but it's actually I really like. It's got a good cast and I really like what they're doing, even though it's you know, over the top and bloody, so maybe not for everyone.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 5: I've been really enjoying Twisted Metal as well. There's some screeners I need to catch up on too, so hopefully I'll have some recommendations next time as I catch up on some of that stuff. But yeah, that's been that's been me as well as just some random Discothech Media puts out a lot of old school anime, so I've been also revisiting the eighties nice wise and that's that's always good. This latest one SBT Lasner. Oh, and I've also Hulu has a Macross series and I just finished Macross Frontier and I thought that was really solid. So I'm all over the map these days awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm going to sign on to everything that Julia said because we've been hanging out a lot and we went to Mulin Rouge. I actually I enjoyed this like even more than the film, and I was just really just really moved by it and then weapons I was jumping out of my seat. It was so scary, I mean, honestly, like embarrassingly going like making noises and jumping like it was. It was a really solid jump scare movie and I seldom encountered that, Like.
Speaker 4: The I didn't have my own popcorn, so I knocked over my daughter's popcorn.
Speaker 1: Like the last time I went to a movie that made me jump scare like that was The Nighthouse, which has got to be like three years and so this was this was really really solid and yeah, so cool. Well, I'm so excited we got a chance to come back and start out with a bang, exactly where I love to be. I'm so happy that we watched the nineteen seventies made for a TV film And I'm not the one who came up with the idea. I that just that's a gift. It's manna from heaven. I definitely am, honestly because I always feel yeah, because I hate to foist these things on you, but I'm happy when somebody else voices.
Speaker 3: This time we can we can all blame me and my extensive list making.
Speaker 1: I guess I love it. So I'm I'm super excited.
Speaker 5: Me and you, so everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Be kind to one another. Let us know what you thought or or new directions or if there's other certainly if there's obscure films, especially like nineteen seventies, you know, forgotten TV films, and you're like, oh, you'll love this. Let us know. We might do an episode on it, but at least I will watch it at the very least. So thank you so much and we can't wait to be back soon. Bye guys, Bye night.