Speaker 1: You'll be bit.
Speaker 2: Mike, I don't say the one. It's it's just like three to two.
Speaker 3: I get it. I also was distracted because there's another breaking story that I'm adding to the thing real quick. It's okay, Hi, Should I just go?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: Hi? Everybody? What's to say? Okay, Hey, everybody, welcome to the Gay Mess Mornings with Me Mike Minaughty, your host from GiantBomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about Xbox layoffs happening right now, the death of pss R in the Outriders sequel that will never happen. It's gonna be a good one because we have Jana Choa on the show. There's old stuff here about a sponsor that we don't currently have. I've been you know, Jeff's Jeff's format here is strange and magical I've discovered. But for a show, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, Mike Manati. I I love the energy that game Mike Mornings brings to my Wednesday mornings. That's right, it's great. Uh. Turns out, Mike, when you move, not only does your computer not want to work sometimes and recognize all the same outputs that are that were exactly where they were. But your body doesn't want to wake up at the normal time it normally does.
Speaker 3: I bet, I bet. I mean, look, you already have my sympathy being on the West Coast and having to get up in the actual shoot morning for things I name stuff morning shows and then do them at two PM. That's how much I actually greatly dislike mornings.
Speaker 2: So it's the morning somewhere, Mike, right.
Speaker 3: It's always the morning somewhere, hopefully where you are and not where I am, because yeah, I am the opposite of a morning person. But you know, you're getting settled in though the move, you know, there's all the move usually keeps happening for months and months and months, but hopefully a lot of the big stuff is taken care of.
Speaker 2: Now. Yeah, finally cleared enough space in the kitchen to actually walk around, and now my partner's graciously going to start putting more stuff away, a little bit more shelf space than we originally had at the old place, which is a pleasant surprise.
Speaker 3: I could see your nightmare before Christmas. Zero popcorn bucket behind you over there.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: I actually bought my first popcorn buckets this. Oh, they're actually at Universal. It's twofless from howitoring your Dragon. And I got them for my nephews both have birthdays coming up, and I was like, okay, this is fun. But when I bought it, they were like, you know, you get like a free fill of popcorn on yeah boy.
Speaker 2: So no, okay. So that's the great thing that Universal does that I don't remember if Disney actually does. Because at Universal, if you buy the popcorn bucket, you just show up with a receipt and they'll see whether or not you ticked it off yet, and they'll give you the free popcorn refill.
Speaker 3: I got the popcorn. I put it in that bad boy. I put it around my neck and carried that little two fliss around like like my child. And I'll tell you what. I get the appeal. I get the appeal. It was kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, don't worry, folks. Soon enough, I'll get the whole crew on the boo boos, the boo boos, love boo boos, boo boos. I just love hearing you guys say it.
Speaker 3: Okay, before we get into things, let's explain ourselves. This is giant bomb a small team of video game two pics who relying your support so we can make cool stuff. If you want to help, go to giant bomb dot com slash join. This gets you add free shows and some other extras. That's giant bomb dot com slash Join a ship mentioned. We still have some merch, some new ish merch on the store. We'll get some new stuff soon. But I'm wearing my spoon Heaven shirt today. Very excited about that. I think, look, get out of here, microphone, look at my shirt, get back her microphone. So yeah, that's short at giant bomb dot com. But on this show today most okay, Oh here's this part where I say this most weekdays, Jeff Grub will help peace your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news, maybe even some of our own original reporting for all these topics. Will get input from a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you're watching live on Twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. Okay, we got a lot to get into us, so let's start the morning mess with Microsoft begins deep job cuts across the Xbox division. This is from Jason Schreyer at Bloomberg. Microsoft announced Wednesday morning it's eliminating nine thousand workers company wide and a second wave of layoffs this year. The cuts will have an impact across teams, geographies and tenure, and our main efforts of streamlining processes and reducing layers of management. A company spokesperson said. The termination follows an earlier round of layoffs in May that hit six thousand people and fell hardest on product and engineering positions. These cuts have started today jan We're kind of learning mostly about the European offices impacted. For example, the Stockholm based King division, which makes candy crushes, cutting ten percent.
Speaker 2: Of its staff.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, about two thousand jobs. Other European offices such as Xenemax also began forming employees that job coups are happening as we're going live. Jason Schreier reported that Zenemax's new MMO project and these are the people who made oer scrolls online. Their new project, code named Blackbird, which was in development since twenty eighteen, has been canceled as part of these layoffs and again US kind of layoffs here expected to be announced later in the day. The Microsoft's gaming division had about twenty thousand plays as of January twenty twenty four. Here's a clip from Phil Spencer to position gaming for enduring success and allow us to focus on strategic growth areas. It will end or decrease work in certain areas of the business and follow Microsoft's lead and removing layers of management to increase agility and effectiveness. This is the fourth mass layoff at Xbox in the last eighteen months. Rumors are also saying that ever Wild is canceled at Rare.
Speaker 2: So this is.
Speaker 3: Happening right now. We're going to probably be learning more about this, especially how it impacts US studios as the day goes on. I mean, you know, a certain point, what do we say, jan this sucks again. Microsoft is insanely rich, filthy rich, disgustingly rich. What does it need to Why does it need to cause so much misery? What is the justification possibly throughout these words like agility and effectiveness? Fuck off?
Speaker 2: This is terrible. Yeah, the aspects of this where they keep saying they're handling management, I think they should look further up the ladder, Mic because there's several several layers of mismanagement further at the top, closer to phill that needs to be addressed. Nine thousand workers laid off is insane. And I know whenever these stories come out, Mike and we report on them, people will see like ten percent of a company laid off, and that ten percent may not feel like a lot, but when you like put it on paper and you are now suddenly losing two hundred of your coworkers, that is mighty significant. Especially like I I know that I'm under the assumption that at King Candy Crush may not take the most work to maintain, but it is like still one of the top mobile games out there or so like people are still actively playing it. That getting Candy Crush under the Microsoft umbrella was definitely part of like the the acquisition motivations from like a couple of years ago. So like, this just sucks, Mike. This, this really like takes the wind out of my sales for any interest in Microsoft related things. Hearing about ZeniMax getting gutted also stinks. Elder Scrolls. The MMO just feels like one of those MMOs that was like constantly trucking along and doing well. And I was always I'm always jazzed to see an MMO scene like doing pretty okay despite me not being totally clued into it. Man, killing a game that they've been working on for seven years is insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Yeah, Elder Scrolls Online has done well, It's never quite reached that world of warcraft they're going to file on fantacy fourteen level. I think of just being an absolute money truck. But it's done well. They've continued to support, they continue to promote it, But I don't think that game has a you know, forever expiration date. At some point, you're gonna need a new game for ZENMX Online Studios to move on to. So canceling Blackbird here that worries me because what what is the plan for that studio now? Is it just ESO now forever? Are you gonna try to green light a new project or you know what I really worry about, are you gonna wind that whole thing down eventually once the money from ESO dries up. That's a difficult thing about it. Ever, while it was probably a bit of an easy target on this one, Jim, that was the kind of fan see multiplayer game that Rare announced a long time ago, and then it was kind of clear that there wasn't much of a game there and that it's maybe been rebooted a few times. So that's disappointing that we couldn't figure something out there and that you know, we're not we're not getting you know, see, if these is great, sure it does well, it's also been out for a while. They've done you know, the Pirates of the Caribbean thing, They've done the Monkey Allen thing. Unless they start doing a Muppet treasure Islan thing, they're gonna start running out of I ready ip to bring into that thing.
Speaker 2: So what if they do a treasure planet Mike, Oh, don't, don't tease me, don't tease me.
Speaker 3: Can but you know, like you know, we got to have projects that Rare, So again, hopefully this is okay to cancel ever while move on to something else and not just well, here comes layoffs for Rare of all things, which is, you know, such a legacy studio that's done so many things and could and should be put on projects like Viven Pinata, like Banjo Kazooi and things like that. Just the fact, this is the fourth round of these mass layoffs in the last eighteen months. It isn't the last one. I don't know. No, I still don't know how this is going to impact, say Blizter we can find out the layoffs a Blizzard later today, and so many other studios, so many games that are coming out that are that still seem kind of a while away. I mean, Fable and Perfect Dark had been talked about forever and we didn't We didn't see those this summer at Xbox's showcase. Right now, these games are taking forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not even like a hint of or anything of what's going on. Like they chose to put Silk Song in one of the hype trailers reels. This is a reels, yeah, instead of like a game that is actually theirs. Uh yeah, I don't know. Like this it worries me a lot for the future of anything related to Microsoft. Really, Like, I'm not the biggest Call of Duty player at all, but if that cash cow starts to dry up, are they just going to send that out to get got further down the line? I Mean. The other aspect of this that sucks is that it's not just developers that are getting looped up in these layoffs. It's also people from several different departments also that you know, it may not be the easiest to find a new job. We've seen people that have been laid off from UH I don't know cycles ago that are still struggling to look for a new job. And it's it sucks, Mike, it's and it's really rough.
Speaker 3: It's really depressing. And again, like this news is gonna be following throughout the day here, so we don't know what other games we're gonna find out are canceled, if entire studios. I mean, there are rumors going into this that the Forts Motorsport developer turned ten might be in big trouble and they're based in Redmond, Washington, but that ends up being true. We're gonna hear about that game again. The last Forts and Motorsport came out of twenty twenty three. It feels like it didn't quite light the world on fire, but you know a lot of Xbox games have been having trouble letting the world on fire, right, I mean, yeah, you know South of Midnight I think it kind of came and it probably did okay, but nothing Crazy held Bay two and then I don't think any of these games were some giant flops or anything. But yeah, none of them are, you know, reaching that super stratosphere that maybe you're hoping for. But at a certain point, what do all these games have in common. It's it's the Xbox leadership. It's the Xbox plan, a plan that not too long ago was nothing but game pass, game pass, game pass, game pass. And now suddenly they're not talking about game pass so much anymore. There is no plan. They're retreating from hardware. There are. They want to be a publisher Solster's games everywhere. That's great, but they still talk about hard where. They still say they're making a new console and it's gonna be the biggest generational leap it ever is. You know, Mike Ibara was talking to say Form president of Blizzard, and I think that he's maybe a bit of I don't say clown, but he ruts me the wrong way a little bit. Sometimes. Maybe it's some truth in. Xbox has to get a better strategy here than just trying to do everything publish all these games everywhere and everywhere, still have a console, slapping the Xbox name on a rog ally in an Oculus quest. Meanwhile, it's like the games are floundering.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're the second we hear that. I don't know, like a fable or a Perfect Dark gets canceled. I I don't know what that says about Microsoft. I know what that says about Microsoft. I don't know what that says about Uh, like the state of like these gigantic, big publishers, if they're have so much, it's less so that they are having trouble, but like it is just a fire and a mess happening internally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't know how that house is going to get in order again.
Speaker 2: You know, it's such whiplash because it just was.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem like that long ago when they were buying all of these studios and they just couldn't stop biatus. Thank god that we at least know there's a new game coming from Double Fine that was finally announced, because I'd been terrified for them right now, and that would be such a travesty if anything happened at that studio. So again, Wow, well we'll see more. News is going to be happening throughout the day.
Speaker 2: Mike, what is the point of trying to become like this gigantic behemoth in the games industry, if you were just going to continue to lay people off and cancel project after project.
Speaker 3: It's all about trends, right when you know, these services became a trend, right, Hbo Max and Disney Plus, So here comes game paths. That's a trend. And trends can be anything. For people in suits because they're very stupid and they have problems thinking for themselves. So when they look around they see the other people wearing suits with their nice haircuts doing things they like to just do what they're doing. And right now the trend is laying people off, like, oh, this is a fun trend. Ooh. Look if I lay these people off and take away their livelihood and their money, my numbers go up. Ooh investors happy, Ooh, I like this quick fix. Never mind the consequences of suddenly losing a giant portion of your workforce, never mind the human suffering. Human suffering doesn't impact the line, So it's all a bunch of bullshits. The market is terrible for gaming. It's never about quality. U Nobody is increasing investor value by increasing quality, at least they don't think so. So that's why so many of these giant publishers are beginning to fail us and we're getting our better games elsewhere. Anyways, go ahead, sorry, Jed.
Speaker 2: Before we move on to the next story, Mike, how much of this do you think is not only motivated and pushed forward by corporate greed and actual mismanagement that's never going to be addressed, but by these suits and exacts thinking oh well, we'll just replace everyone with AI.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's some AI bullshit thinking going on there too, write and yeah, yeah, we'll see how that goes, because you know, they have to realize and I sometimes with this AI stuff like it's like I'm gonna look at it, and parties like, oh, that's just a little bit. And I mean, I'm still glad that everybody freaks out and tells them to stop that and to get ben and to review bomb them, because it is a little bit of we can't allow any of that, because as soon as you give them an inch, they're gonna give us a mile of this AI slop. So you know, that's that's there. I think with you know, AI is such a part of this train that was you know, Blockchain, then Metaverse and now AI again just another trend that everybody talks about at these ridiculous conferences where they go to and they all just you know, pass along whatever buzzword that they read about. It's annoying and it's stupid, all right. Next up here, Mark Mark Kearney's uh spar Surney excuse me says Placation vi pro will get its major replacement for the current PSSR upscaler next year from Jordan Miller VGC PS five System architect Mark Serny has discussed a major update coming to places vi pro in twenty twenty six, which will replace it's PSSR upscal ar tech. Ear this year, it was announced that only an AMDA partner on the project am Withthys Initiative, which is focused on delivering a version of FSR four, AMD's equivalent of Nvidia's DLSS tech to the play station vi pro. The technology will be similar to Sony's own PSSR tech, which is a machine learning based upscaler but promises improved results. And interviewed with Tom's Guide, Serny disgust the upcoming tech, which he called a drop in replacement for the current PSSR RIP pisser. I guess it's a little weird because we heard so much about that proprietary tech blah blah blah, and they're already just kind of gonna replace that and drop in FSR, which I mean, I guess, I guess that makes sense. Why devote all this money and technology into making your own system here when you have AMD, you have in Vidia already investing a ton into these things. I don't know, is this weird to you at all?
Speaker 2: Jam, I'm with you, Mike. I devote all the time in resources to make and implement your own system that may not work as well as like the leaders out there. It's like, we're not trying to make our own video hosting platform to rival YouTube or Twitch right now, because that would be silly to do. Just use the tools that are available and work with those existing relationships. I also think it's insane that no one at PlayStation brought up the idea that PSSR looks like pisser.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what this is really about, so people keep calling it pisser. It's a big problem. Yeah, this makes a lot of sense that I bet it's even going to look better. I mean, it's a little silly to continue developing PSSR, which would take a ton of resources to keep that tech going. When you can just partner with an AMD or an in video and yeah FSRSS, there's a gonna be the two kinds of these tech we always see going forward continuing here. According to Serny, he expected the investment and technology to take years to come to fruition, but due to the collaboration between the two companies, they have managed to develop a substantially improved upscaling algorithm in just a few years. It expected to release publicly in twenty twenty six. Yeah, I mean, here's what it looks like. You know, I don't have a PlayStation five Pro, and I feel kind of weird about it because it's the first time I didn't get one of these min gen upgrades. Even you know, the stuff does look kind of nice. My problem is, you know, I invested in a new PC instead, I'm not gonna also get one of these. And every year I don't get a PlayStation five Pro, I'm a year closer to a PlayStation six anyway, So why jump on now. It's not like there's gonna be a sale or the price is gonna go down, of course not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike I'm in the same boat where my PS five is doing completely fine. Sure, during some moments of destraining two, it's starting to sound like a jet en, But I think that is because of my own that's just due to me being a dusty boy and not cleaning out my PS five. But yeah, I just have.
Speaker 3: Called you the pig pen of Giant Bomb, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: That's right. I have a cloud around me at all times. But yeah, I have no interest in getting a PS five pro exactly for the reasons you highlighted. And the further we keep going, Mike, I don't know if I want a PS six.
Speaker 3: We'll see. PlayStation at least does have some exclusives sometimes, although those are coming you know, later and later, and they always get PC ports and the PS the PC ports are happening sooner and sooner. I sure don't know if I'm going to need the next Xbox with you know, absolutely knowing all their games are coming to PC and with you know, the things that they have been doing all right. Next up her three former Ubisoft execs receive suspended prison sentences at harassment trial. This is from Chris Scolian at VGC three former Ubisoft execs standing trial for sexual assault and harassment at the company have been found guilty and sentence. The trial of former CEO Sergey Haskalt, former vice president of Editory Korea of Services, Thomas Francois, a former game developer Gillemi Petrue initially started in March, but was adjourned until early June following her quest from lawyers who have more time to get familiar with the cases documents. Francois was accused of systematic psychological and sexual arrassment, with alleged behavior including the watching of porn in an open plan office, commenting on the appearance of female staff, regular public humiliation, in hazing, an attempted sexual assault where he allegedly tried to forcibly kiss a young employee during a Christmas party as she was held by other colleagues. According to Liberation, Francoise has now been found guilty of moral and sexual arrassment and attempted sexual assault has been given a three year suspended prison sentence and a fine of thirty thousand euros about thirty five one hundred dollars. I'm just going to jump in right here and editorialize and say that that doesn't seem like enough of a punishment. Hascott was accused of loop behavior, posting intrusive questions of a sexual nature, in racist comments and behavior.
Speaker 2: He was alleged to have asked.
Speaker 3: A Muslim employee if she supported Islamic state, and to have been responsible for her PC desktop image being replaced with photos of bacon sandwiches and food being placed on her desk during her ramadn Fest. Liberation reports that Ascot has received an eighteen month suspended prison sentence in a fine of forty five thousand euros or about fifty three thousand dollars petrol. He was a designer who chelves as the Crew and grow Home was accused of psychological arrestment, including violent and intimidating behavior. He has received a twelve month suspended prison that it's any fine of ten thousand years about twelve thousand dollars um. Yeah, uh boy. These people are terrible. I'm glad they're getting some punishment. I don't doesn't sound like it's quite enough to me. There was a lot of cleaning up that had to happen at UBISOFTS and I know they've done some work there. I doubt they've done enough and it's disgraceful that this ever happened in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these people should be pushed down the stairs and like I'm talking like a big flight of stairs and I'll do it. That's not me threatening violence, that's just me upholding justice. What the fuck, Mike, it is.
Speaker 3: It's best up. And I know it's like uncomfortable, but I think it's important to talk about these people and the things that they have done. Yes, specifically and explicitly, it's fucking disgusting and shame on them and shame on anybody who helped to enable them.
Speaker 2: This. This furthers the case mic that I think you BISOFT should be dismantled at the top, and you know, while we're at it, let's do that for all the big corporations, right, But you bes off specifically, like we've had we've heard the cases of Eves hiding other execs and like, uh, you know, continuing to shield this boy's club at the top. This is not a boys club. A boys club is like hanging out in the woods in a treehouse and like throwing rocks at each other. This is not fucking systematic humiliation and harassment at every single level. I feel so terrible for the workers involved and the workers that have had to witness this and not feel and feel the pressure in the past to not report. This is terrible, Mike, Like I, this is Garbo. These people should get more than the twelve month eighteen month prison sentences. They should be thrown into a hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I hope that the victims get some sense of sassaction or justice from this, But I get the hunch that it's not gonna be enough, and there's nothing you can ever do to make it right for those people. Huh, all right, Jen, why don't we take a quick break. We'll come back. We've got some more news to talk about.
Speaker 1: This episode of Giant Bomb is brought to you by giant bomb dot com. Slash Join join us there, become a member. It helps us make fun stuff. It gets you add free content. It also helps us make some extras here and there that will give exclusively to you as members. It's giant bomb dot Com. Slash Join for ten dollars a month or one hundred dollars a year, where you save twenty dollars. You can support us in making all the cool stuff that we make over here at giant Bomb. Once again. That's Giant bomb dot Com slash join become a member.
Speaker 3: Now, all right, we're back. I think uh, most of you just saw on her from Jeff Grubb and that ad there, So there you go. You got a little bit of Jeffy. Jeff I probably shouldn't mentioned on the top. He's a he's on vacation or out on assignment. I think we'll be saying here, so maybe they get them pancakes. So I'm filling in for him today and tomorrow. No show on Friday, fourth of July. We will be off. All right, let's move along here. Sub Nautica to developers entire leadership team replaced and Shock moved Craft and said, well, bring renew to energy mometum by Vicki Blake at ign. Former Striking Distance CEO Steve Papotis is joining sub Nautica to developer Unknown Worlds as CEO, and made the Shock announcement that the previous leadership team Ted Gill, Charlie Cleveland and Max McGuire been replaced effective immediately. Un World's owner crafton which is behind pubg Bill to expand on why the leadership team has been gutted, we said, well, it's sought to keep the Unknown World's co founders and original creators of the Sumnautica series and falls in the game's development. It wishes them well on their next endeavors. Crafton insisted Papoetis will prioritize development momentum and delivering best possible thing experience and will bring renewed energy momentum. It's unclear what the change means for the launch window of the game. Crafton acquired un Worlds in October twenty twenty one. At the time, it said the Subnautica Studio will continue to operate as an independent outfit. So this is strange. We don't really know what's going on over there, but something's got to happen if you just, you know, get rid of an entire leadership team and bring in somebody new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this doesn't feel like bad people getting kicked out of the company. This just feels like a weird, dramatic restructuring that feels like it's going to lead to unfortunately poor things. I always thought sub Nautica was doing fine.
Speaker 3: I mean, people really like original Subnautica a lot. Yeah, and then you know it had a basically it already had a sequel with Sumnautica Below zero and Subnautica two is kind of the third game in the series in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's a well liked series.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure why the heck such a overhaul would be required, you know, I don't want to speculate, because you know, maybe there was something where that happened behind this, sir. Yeah, I don't know, so I guess we got to just hold on there. So people say, but you know, I'm not someone who's played Synautica a lot. I've been meaning to get to it, but if I was a fan of the series, I would probably be concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The people that love Semnautica, I feel like, are of a similar ilk to the folks that really really like No Man's Sky. Sure that makes a lot of sense. Oh boy, all right.
Speaker 3: Hooded Horse to publish new Heroes of min and Magic games by Rachel Kaser at Game Speed shout Out. The game Speed publisher Hooded Horse announced today that is entered into agreement with Ubisoft and developer Unfrozen. Ho Horse will publish the latter's upcoming turn based tactics title Heroes of Might and Magic Olden Era The game launches in early access on PC layers here. Coinciding with the series thirtieth anniversary. UBI Soft revealed Heroes of Might and Magic Olden Era last year to be developed by and Frozen, the fledgling studio behind strategic game Irides, Lord of the Dead, Hooded Horse, also as a background in the space, having published Manor, Lords Against the Storm and Endless Legend two. CEO Tim Benderson as statement, Heroes of Might and Magic is a legendary series, one that has a place in the hearts and childhoods of many gamers. We're honored to be teaming up with Ubisoft and Unfrozen on this project. I'm and this thing is kind of weird because Ubisoft is already a publisher, so why did we have to bring in another publisher? But you know, Ubi SA's been doing a lot of weird restructuring. There's now like two halves of Ubisoft, the one that only focuses on the really big franchises like Assassin's Creed, and I'm gonna I'm gonna guess that Ubisoft does not consider Heroes of Might and Magic to be one of their really big franchises.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly forgot that it was under the Ubi Soft umbrella.
Speaker 3: Oh me too, Me too. It's weird because there is like a couple of these sort of great PC franchises there. Like, I'm a big Ano fan. We got that new Ano game coming out soon, so I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: Have you Have you ever been a.
Speaker 3: Mite in Magic person? As much as I like RPGs, this is the side of it I have never seen before.
Speaker 2: I think I believe there may have been a Might and Magic game for the DS that was like a Match three that I really liked. Hell yeah, Uh. That being said, I may be misremembering a game completely.
Speaker 3: Well there, my brother AJ really liked some kind of Might and Magic game on the Game Boy Color. If I remember exactly, well.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yes, I was right. Might and Magic Clash of Heroes.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds familiar. I mean, it's it's just, you know, very big series. It's on all sorts of things. So you know, I hope that the new game does well. Uh. Dannis Federov, CEO of and Frozen Center statement, the entire Unfrozen team is very excited that Hooded Horse is joined the project. We firmly believe that their expertise, combined with Ubisoft's legacy. Okay, well, allow us to make Heroes of Might and Magic olden era really successful, introduce the games even more fans of tactical turn based strategies from all over the world. Ah, we'll see. Yeah, chat's right, Mike and Magic. That's good.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: So it might be a reason to go in there at some point.
Speaker 2: Are there any bad Might and Magic games? Because White and Magic is right there.
Speaker 3: Blatant magic there. Yeah, hmm, I gotta look at there's so many of them. One of them has to be bad, now, you know, any of them legendarily bad?
Speaker 2: Is the is the question for them?
Speaker 3: When it comes to Bike Club all right. Dave the Diver director says there's nothing indie about it, and he didn't apply for its controversial Game Awards nod Chris calling at VGC. Dave the Diver was nominated for Best Indie Game at the Game Awards in twenty twenty three, a decision which sparked some controversy by having the conventional low fi appearance some indie games have. The games developer ment Rocket is a small team within necks On, a South Korean company that made one point eight billion in revenue in twenty twenty one alone. As such, many at the time claimed that Dave the Diver was far from an indie game of one of the main criteria that defines what is a team that has a smaller budget and isn't part of a into hard company. A new interview with four gamer dot Net, Dave the Diver director jahwe Long explained that he never considered the game in indie title and that it's Game Wars nomination. Uh, nothing to do with him, meant rockin or nex so on. We never intended to give David Diver an indie game feel, he said, to begin with, we're making game at Nexon, so there's nothing indie about it. However, when a game is made by a small team, the art style and game system tend to be unique. So I think that's why it was thought of as an indie game. In full disclosure, that translation of that could have just read there was done via a machine translation from where I pulled it from, So maybe that's not exactly a perfect transcription of what they said, but yeah, this was something that came but at the time, I mean, jan the big problem here is that when we say indie game, we're kind of we often mean a certain look and feel, and sometimes we just mean like small team, uh not triple A graphics kind of thing. So you know it. You know, words in terms and definitions are failing. That's a bit here. I don't know exactly how you get around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unfortunately. I feel like as soon as we see the like kind of two and a half D pixel graphics and it's not an RPG, we think, oh, it's an indie game. This is just feels like an ODDI issue to kind of like bring back up in twenty twenty five when this whole I don't even want to say controversy, but issue was raised in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, and we just I don't know if we made too much ground, you know. I think the Day of the Diver situation has made people think a bit more about than to just look at a game and say that must be an indie game, because I think it looks and feels like one. So something for everyone to keep in mind. But yeah, I think it was never like the Day of the Diver people's fault. That's not really how the game of War It's works it's other people nominating games.
Speaker 2: People don't put their game forward. Yeah. If anything, I think the director here it feels like he's just standing on a hill saying I'm not an indie game. I'm a big boy game.
Speaker 3: Right right. Well, also, you know, I bet it sucks. You know, people get mad as you want to be clear, it's not our fault, like we're sorry. You know, we'll take the statue if they want to give us a statue. We like statues. But hey, is Claip scaring an indie game?
Speaker 2: See? That's what I was thinking after we're talking about like team size and and like not coming from like a Triple A publisher, because that is like, that does not look like an indie game.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the opposite problem because like, like I see a chat right now on the Twitch. I can see yes is in nose and it's like, you know, what what do we mean? What do we mean? Like again, yeah, like a Borders Kate three and technically an indie game, so right right, what do we really mean by that? And you know, in some sense, part of me is like, well, why do we even you know, why do we even need a separate category? Because the indie games are often just as good as all of the other kinds of games in these ways anyway, but sometimes we do because there's still is a little bit of a bias to Triple A. I mean, you had, you know, bilatro Get nominated the Game the Year last year, which was great, but you still had to deal with people being like WA's normally for game of the year because it's one of the best games of the year, you chuckle. Fuck. So, uh, it's a thing that's we're going to continue to talk about.
Speaker 2: I am sure, all right.
Speaker 3: New Monster Hunter Wild's update finally addresses poor PC performances from Blair Marnel game spot Monstergner Wild's players on PC have been making their displeasure known on Steam by leaving a string of bad reviews over some performance issues with the game. The number of concurrent players has dropped so rapidly that wild It's predecessor, Monstergner World has a higher count. Today, Catcom is attempting to address PC players issues part of the massive free title Day two. The publish also shared a glimpse at the next two free updates beyond this one. While free TEP Day two doesn't make any changes to Wild's minimum or recommended system requirements. The Steam version has been adjusted to mount of VR of the amount of VRAM used in texture streaming to lower the amount of VRAM overall.
Speaker 2: One of the bug fixes.
Speaker 3: WI also make the estimated VRAM usage displayed the correct amount of display settings in graphical settings. To soon to say whether these changes alone will turn things around for Wilds on Steam, but Calcom knows that further performance and optimization improvements are still in the works. This gives been out for a good bit now. Jan came out earlier in the year. It came in very heavy on a lot of platforms, but on PC especially, it just kind of seemed like a little bit of a resource hog and of a performance clunker. It definitely turned me off the game a little bit. Even when I got my new PC and the game was definitely running better, it still felt heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you were playing a monster Hunter on PC and if the performance was a bummer for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Surprisingly, I didn't come across too many issues. I don't know if I was just lucky and maybe I turned off the right settings. But great for those monster Hunter monster hunter heads out there. I saw Jesse Vittelli post a clip of him swimming underwater and fitting a underwater monster, and that looked insane and I kind of want to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, there's I's say, yeah, there's new content here aside from this stuff. But you know, Monster Hunter has been a bit of a disappointment for me this year. I definitely enjoyed the game, and I played through like the campaign, and then I just never really felt myself drawn to go back to it very much as a game. I was really looking forward to yea, honestly like the performance as part of it, but that you know, I could have looked past that if I was really enjoying the experience, which you know, wasn't a bad experience or anything, but maybe just didn't fully deliver on the promises of a more open Monster Hunter, and maybe learning that I don't want a more open Monster Hunter, maybe the previous format actually was working really well. Do you have Do you have any concerns about future Ari Engine games like Resident Evil nine?
Speaker 2: I feel like Ari nine hopefully the team has learned that like an open open world may not be the best way to go forward, but like open zones like we've been talking about here, maybe the better way to go. While I didn't experience too many issues playing Monster Hunter Wilds, I did have a little bit of difficulty playing through Dragon's Dogma two, which kind of stifled some of the fun I had there. Yeah, I I'm slightly worried, but I hope that team at Capcom has has seen the issues and realized how not that Munster Hunter isn't important for them, but how much more important, how much more magnitude RI nine is going to have for them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good point that you brought up Dragonssongma two because that was the other open world Ari Engine game, and that game also just did not run really well. So it is kind of this pattern that, Okay, we you know, the Ari Engine had nothing but good press really for a long time here until we started getting these open world games with that, and it's like, Okay, this isn't super working out for that. Like these games obviously aren't terrible, but they just, you know, they do feel again heavy and sluggish and weird. So yeah, hopefully Resident Evil nine it's definitely going to be a big game, and I'm sure there's going to be aspects of wandering around large areas of the ruined Raccoon City. But yeah, I hope it's not you know giant open world game that is just absolutely destroying our PCs and consoles.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's it's moving so sorry, Mike. It's moving so slowishly because the swords are so big.
Speaker 3: Oh of course those big guess, yes, the big giants swords of Mustard. I am a great sword guy. I got it in Mets. I'd never I always try using something else and I'm like, no, give you that big, big, big sword, right, that feels good. I want my attacks to be slow. Hammer is slow too. It's fun to bank people in the head. But I need that sword for sure. The sword for sure. That's funny. All right, last thing that I have here for today. Outriders Too was reportedly one of People Can Fly is canceled projects by Vicki blacking in at ign. One of the projects recently canceled by developer People can Fly with Outriders Too. According to fresh reports, the Polish studio best known for Outriders and Gears of Ward Judgment confirmed even more jobs were at risk at the beginning of June, when it canceled two projects, Project Gemini and Project by Frost Well. The statement issued by CEO Sebastian will g Chowski at the time did not specify which publishers were involved with the canceled projects. PCF's own website confirmed Gemini was partnered with Square Enix and by Frost was self published. The cancelations led to the restructuring of Eternal Teams and allowed the April cancelation of Project Dagger, an action adventure game originally set to be developed and published with Take two Interacted before it pulled out its September twenty twenty two. Now a report from thumb Warves, corroborated by Insider Gaming, claimed Project Gemini was indeed an Outrider sequel. The game was reportably in the midst of recording motion capture when the project was canceled. I think that's definitely a bummer. Outriders one was a game that seemed to benefit from that early goodwill and interest in game Pass right.
Speaker 2: It seems like everybody who had game Pass was trying.
Speaker 3: Out Outriders, a game that had a little bit of an you know, MMO flavor, might be much. I mean, it was a kind of a multiplayer online looter shooter thing. It seemed like it got some interest and it was doing well, but that interest maybe died off relatively quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh. Outriders is one of those surprise games where oh yeah, that came out. Oh yeah, that wasn't that bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, And you know, I think it's I think a sequel could have really refined those ideas and given us a more interesting experience. But it's also it's also difficult to release a sequel these days to a game that did pretty good. Right, Everybody is just expecting so much out of everything. It's a shame that, you know, you can't build off of a decent start as easily as as you were used to, because there are so many games that got significantly better in the sequel, and I think I could easily see a world where Outriders Too was one such project. Yeah, all right, Jan that does it for the news Today. We do have poll results, and I look here. The last one was a whopping six days ago, which might be right because yeah, we didn't have a show on Monday, so.
Speaker 2: This pool was.
Speaker 3: This whole question was have you ever played a game on Netflix? Seventy three percent of those polls said no, and only twenty seven percent said yes. I mean, part of me is almost surprised. It's it's that high. I've never even considered playing a game on Netflix. I gotta be honest, I don't even really understand what that means, playing a game on Netflix. What are you talking about? How do you play a game on Netflix? That's just the thing where I watch. I assume there's just an app on your phones and you can click a game button instead of the button to watch House of Cards or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. House of Cards is what you go to.
Speaker 3: Okay, I look, I don't watch a bunch TV. That's like Stranger Things. Kids still love Stranger Things?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Those kids are so old? Is that so old? This year?
Speaker 3: I think they're still doing more Stranger Things over there? Last one?
Speaker 2: Right, it should be.
Speaker 3: The last one, you would hope.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what it means to play a game on Netflix, but there it is. Some people have tried it. I'm thinking for today's poll question, I would like to ask people would you have played an Outrider sequel? Just yes or no?
Speaker 2: So easy?
Speaker 3: Psy right there? All right, We've got a lot of fun stuff still happening on Giant bomb this week. Later today at eleven am Pacific two pm e d Light Club is happening with me, Dan and Kayla. I think sister Carol's gonna be joining us. They're gonna guide me through the wonderful world of Guitar Room Man on PlayStation two. I was a good boy suffering through all of that Rascal Shenanigan, so now I get to have some good stuff with Guitar Roo Man. Yes, I'm looking forward to that, loing forward to hanging out with Dan team Kayla. It's gonna be a good time. And then tonight, Jan, Me and you are reconvening for Wega Man Wednesday evening gaming at mice at night. I had to push it back because I got an AM and PM mixed up with my flights on Monday. But that's okay. We're gonna do a show anyways. We're gonna check out that that Dune mro that everybody seems to be liking a lot doing Awakening. I got it installing, ready to go. I'm excited to try it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm curious what the onboarding process will be like and how instantaneously we can link up and ride worms together.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 2: Things are a little bit busy here at GBHQ. We do have several quick looks and unfinished we want to do I do, Mike, I don't know if you've seen this. This is this was put on my radar yesterday when I mentioned the Magen game I've been playing. But Uma Mussume is a game that's kind of uh picking up some Steve. Okay, what is that? Uh you know what, let's uh, I'll send you the steam leak later.
Speaker 3: Is everyone so concerned in chat? Oh it's the horse Girls game? Oh no, I wanted to.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: It's the horse Girl Look. Look, look, I'll follow you anywhere, Jane. If you need me to watch you play the horse Girl game, I'll watch you play the horse Girl game.
Speaker 2: Oh captain, my captain.
Speaker 3: Oh, Captain, my captain. Okay, Oh that's incredible.
Speaker 2: Hey we have one super chat bike. Uh el gro please? Uh? What game would Mike make? Jan play? Death Janding, Splinter Cell jandor Tomorrow Jan dow of the Colossus. Now it doesn't work as much Grim Jan Dango, Crypt of the necro Jancer.
Speaker 3: Oh, Grim j Dango's good. And I don't know why, but I'm obsessed with coke Toro Choa where he played Nice of the Old Republic with one of my favorite games. Yeah, I love Coode toar a lot. I know that, you know there's a remake presumably happening, but I think that original game is still very, very good and I would like to watch Jan play through that at some point. And we also tomorrow on the Voicemail Dump Truck, we are going to have a super Eye Patch Wolf joining us. That is at its usual time at eleven am Pacific two pm Eastern, So look forward to that. There's gonna be another game as more mornings usual time. Tomorrow I'll be stubbing in again. Nothing on Friday. It's it's fourth of July. We will be taking that day off. But yeah, that's it. We're out of here. Jedd Shoha, thank you so much for joining me here, helping guide me through this scary experience of hosting this super Jeff grub coded show. You know, it's a it's a difficult thing he does here. I definitely have a new appreciation for it. But I had a lot of fun talking to you about video games.
Speaker 2: You did absolutely fantastic, Mike. Thank you, Jan.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, and thank you for being the best audience in gaming. Until the next morning mess have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye bad