Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we're gonna be talking about disappointing sales for a major PlayStation exclusive and switch to is not Nintendo's exclusive focus. It's gonna be a good one because we have Chuck zimmer Held on the show. Chuck, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Done really well? I'm glad we're talking about disappointing sales because you have your most disappointing guest on today and I'm ready hey to meet the need.
Speaker 1: I come daily with that energy. Chuck, how dare you try to take that away from me?
Speaker 3: How are you doing doing really well? Man? I've been having a blast with the DK sixty four streams too.
Speaker 2: It's a good time.
Speaker 3: I don't mean to always end up staying till the very end, but like the last two days, oh you should?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, well fuck, well I would if I could. Yeah, it's it's I'm glad you're hanging in there with them.
Speaker 1: It's got a good energy. I think everyone's enjoying it. I see that here in the chat for this show. We've had three more people joined gime Bomb Premium on YouTube. Thank you everybody for doing that, Chuck, since you're here, tell everybody all the ways they could support us, like as part of this big marathon stream that we're doing.
Speaker 3: I would love to do that. So we are tracking new subs, that's important new so you don't have a current subscription, and if you sign up on the site at giant bomb dot com slash join for a yearly or a monthly, it'll add progress to our current goal, which is a community voted blight. You guys get to choose who gets blided out of the owners and you get to choose the game, which is that's a lot of control you guys are giving them. The brand new thing we're doing is on YouTube. You can sign up for a YouTube membership. We're putting all the premium content from the last year and going forward, all the premium content it's going on there. You're also get to add free versions of all the shows and stuff that we do normally, and that also progresses the tracker. Yearly is the best bang for your buck if you really want to get that community light going, that's how you can do that. But yeah, so those are all hitting right, now it's all going to the progress and then when when Mikey pulls that progress bar back up, you'll see where it's at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get there are always somenks among people about like, hey, it's I've been a support for a long time. How can we help contribute towards this. We're always working on that stuff everybody. But yeah, it's important for us to keep activating like new people, getting people excited about it, and we want to be thinking about it for this sort of thing because it forces us to come up with all these fun reasons for to bring in new people into the fold. But we'll find ways for you guys to contribute and support us, even if it's just like getting like increasing excitement and all that stuff. So yeah, I guess if you're been a supporter for a long time, tell a friend, go in your other discords, tell them what we're doing here. Tell them to come watch Mike play Donkey Kong. Honestly, who doesn't want to watch that? You should want to watch that, and your friends should want to watch that as well.
Speaker 3: And we do have gift subscriptions you can do on the website. That's giant bomb dot com slash gift Dash. Nope, you're gonna start that over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take it again, Jans will start to show.
Speaker 3: Over Dash Premium. Gift Dash Premium. You can go there, send yourself a code, and then give a code to a friend who doesn't have an account on the website. They can sign up and during checkout for premium they can use that. We're trying to enable gift memberships on YouTube, but that requires legal battling with Google. Funny enough, so.
Speaker 1: Sure, And it's not like talking to Google's lawyers. It's talking to Google's bots, which don't care. But hey, we got it working by we, I mean, chuck. All right, let's explain ourselves. We're Giant Bomb. Go to giant bomb dot com. So let's join, become a premium member, all that stuff you know at free shows. It's gonna get your premium shows early access to the Bully Endurance run. That's happening right now. You get early access right this week. It's going to be a life for everybody next week. So if you're like, oh, I want to watch that, don't have the money, we get it. We promise that to you. You're gonna get it next week. But if you want to get it early. That's one of the bonuses you get from premium, so go ahead and join up. As far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You are watching live on twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Sorrows had a lukewarm start. That's a quote, with three hundred thousand plus copies sold in two weeks, according to an analytics firm. This comes from Chriscollian over at VGC PlayStation five exclusive. Sorrows had a lukewarm start and may not make its development costs back, according to a video game atlantics analytics firm. Atlantics firm Norwegian firm A Linea Analytics, which I've always pointed out When I talk to people in the industry, they do say a LINEA is pretty good at these estimates. It's never perfect, but they are usually closer than just about anyone else. But even if there's like a huge margin of air here, three hundred thousand copies sold is.
Speaker 2: Like not probably what you want to be seeing. And that's what Elenia is saying.
Speaker 1: It's three hundred thousand copies sold earning around twenty two million in revenue for Sony. The company suggests that given the game's reported development budget was around seventy six million, in a god, how can we We usually can't trust those numbers either, but again that's an estimate. It may struggle to break even as a result. According to the firm. However, the game's data doesn't point to an entirely negative situation. Of the players who have bought the game, forty percent have played it for more than fifteen hours and thirty percent have played it for more than twenty hours. That is pretty impressive engagement for a roguelike of this difficulty profile. Only two weeks into release, Olnea's head of market analysis, Reese Elliott stated, shuts out to Reese, Yeah, I mean well to me, Chuck, this is a story that is very simple. This game costs seventy dollars and we're still not used to that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly like when we were reading through this. It's exactly what I thought. There's I think there's tons of people that are ready to pounce on this thing when it gets like a ten dollars discount, twenty dollars discount or whatever, especially in the fall. So I think, you know, it's not all bad for them. I think that is going to happen when it goes on sale. That's going to hit. But yeah, like Reese points out here, and I love this like context from Rus who knows what he's talking about. It's a difficult game and it's a niche game, and then you slapped a seventy dollars price tag on that. So that's going to be tough. That's that's just tough, uphill sledting.
Speaker 1: I you know, and wrote I think people do have this idea in their head that like rogue likes are a niche and it's.
Speaker 2: Like I think they are particular.
Speaker 1: But like you know, Slay the Spire Too sold three million copies in like two weeks or something, like that, but it was much cheaper. I just think there's a value proposition that people get in their head rightfully. So I think about rogue likes of this is a game where they they build it in such a way that they can not reuse, but like get the most.
Speaker 2: Out of all their assets.
Speaker 1: You're going to be spending a lot of time in the same environments over and over again, and that is the structure of the game, and a lot of people really like that, and that's the right thing for this game. But I think people then say something about that feels a little less then, and then you see seventy dollars, and it's just so easy to begin that mental bargaining, that mental like sort of conversation with yourself about am I getting my money's worth? And every little sort of dent in the armor of a game like works against it, and that builds up quickly, and people are already hurting. People have already have huge backlogs, and I think people do kind of think, Hey, I enjoyed Returnal, this looks pretty similar.
Speaker 2: I don't see why I need to play it right away.
Speaker 1: This is one that I can wait on, And I just I think that is what is happening for most people. I don't think this is a game that no one wants to play, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: I do think the decision to not have this be a piece port. That's something I see all the time too. Yeah, I think that was a weird decision. I think they probably regret that one a little bit of starting with this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, and that's you can't press that button right now. You can't say, okay, we need to announce a PC release because that makes people wait even longer to go get this game, right. So, but I imagine we get some kind of like PC announcement from them within the next year. But that's that's just my guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we you know, we have this other story here. I guess we could just talk about this now.
Speaker 1: Sony says PlayStation Plus gets only four to six day one games a year, and those are mostly going to be endies, and they basically plan to continue their strategy going forward. Unlike Xbox's priceier Game Pass, alternative, PlayStation Plus doesn't.
Speaker 2: Tend to include many day one games.
Speaker 1: Whichever tier you subscribe to, the cheapest option, PlayStation Plus Essential predominantly includes older games for you to add to your library. Meanwhile, the more expensive tier PlayStation Plus Extra prioritizes a large catalog of legacy content. Well, PlayStation Plus Premium is more about cloud streaming and retro games. Some recent examples of Day one games have included Stray and blue Prints, but in an interview with The Game Business, Sony's third party big wig, Chris Spenson reiterated his employer's stance on including new games within its subscription. We don't have very many Day one titles. We do them largely for indies, and there's probably between four to six a year that we focus on. For much of this generation, Sony was under intense pressure to follow the Game Pass model, with fans demanding the company include first and third party games day one.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I saw a ton of that demand, but people certainly would like that.
Speaker 1: But after falling short of Microsoft's lofty subscriber targets and doubling the price to thirty dollars last year for Game Pass, the conversation has fizzled out. The Redmind firm recently reduced the price of its subscription, but removed Call of Duty in the process, including it it came at a three hundred million dollars cost according to reports. So I think this is for me, Chuck, all part of this bigger conversation of you know, both these companies Microsoft and PlayStation are they are oscillating. They're not exactly sure how to get the most out of the games that they're putting out or the services they offer. Game Pass certainly is going back and forth on pricing increases and including.
Speaker 2: Call of Duty or not.
Speaker 1: I mean there was a time where every day one game was a part of every tier of game Pass that's now exclusive to the most expensive ultimate tier. And then meanwhile, over at PlayStations, like they are pulling back from, as you pointed out, putting games out on PC, and they're like, because we want to make our games feel special on the PlayStation.
Speaker 2: We think that's where we get the most value.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, something about like Sorrow's coming out and fizzling a little bit makes it feel like there's just something happening where people are like, this is the only thing I feel like as an event for PlayStation is when they put out their most expensive games. But I don't necessarily know that the answer to that is, well, then Sorrows should have been in PlayStation Plus, Chuck, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if that would have moved the needle for them, right, because like a seventy you already have a PS five. If you have this hardware, you're more of a spender. What am I trying to say? Yeah, I they want to they want to move units of this game. I don't think packaging it in any way is gonna. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to me, Like you you want your your expensive games to sell your consoles. That does that feel still like the common wisdom?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I mean that's where that's where it seems like everyone's kind of shifting back toward that right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, these these guys are so frustrating because they're they're so quarter minded. Yes, like their plans to change every single quarter, and it's going to depend on the reports that come through after a physical quarter. So I feel like you said oscillating earlier, I think that's exactly spot on. They're just going to ping pong back and forth responding to market changes on hardware, whether or not the subscriptions are actually moving the needle for them or profitable for them I do think like sticking with indies on these subscription plans makes a lot of sense. And I will say that PS plus essential having like stuff like God of War on I think as God of War games like that on it. Yes, that's gonna pick up the PlayStation five after kind of being away from PlayStation for a while. That was like that felt like I was getting I was getting something good out of that, like a good deal.
Speaker 2: And that's what it's really for at this point. Absolutely, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's And honestly it's good for those indie games. Right the handful of indie games that do pop up in PlayStation Plus a couple of times a year, they almost always do make a splash. But then that it's like, you know, why not have that same effect on your bigger games, especially if they aren't Like I don't know, Star Wars just doesn't feel like the event that a PlayStation game is supposed to feel like there, And I really I just don't know, like who to blame here. I think a part of that is PlayStation has trained its audience to expect the biggest of the big the most expensive of the expensive, like just everything needs to be turned up to eleven and twelve and thirteen, and if it's not like the next Got of and really at this point it's even the next God of War game feels like it's not gonna be able to capture the excitement that happened with like God of War twenty eighteen or the next Last of Us game wouldn't be able to do that either. You know, we'll see what happens with Intergalactic the Heritic profit. But these things are you know, they get attention at this point because they feel impossible to make. And if it doesn't feel like that, there is no there this urgency to go out and spend seventy dollars just isn't there. And it feels like PlayStations painted themselves into a corner a little bit. And then that does make me wonder, then why not put this out on PC where just a few more people can play it and buy it.
Speaker 3: I think it was a weird gamble, especially on a on a new IP. Right, oh, like Pragmatic coming out like around the same time is like such a perfect like thing where they can do like pretty direct comparisons, right, brand new IP Pragmata did not do the exclusivity right and I think is that price a little bit lower? Was that sixty dollars or seventy?
Speaker 1: It might be sixty, yes, yes, it's sixty.
Speaker 3: Yep. So someone in chat had the exact same line of thinking as me, yep, sixty dollars. I think they have to be like looking at those two and going like, ah shit, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, there was definitely a moment a couple of months ago where I'm like, they got away with it. You know, we had those arguments about seventy dollars when that was first happening earlier in the generation, and we all sort of just we whined and bitched and moaned and again rightfully so, but the games are just seventy dollars now. We just have accepted it, and it's like, oh wait, no, it doesn't feel like that actually got over the hump. And maybe you can point to Mario Kart there try and move it up even more to eighty dollars, and nothing else.
Speaker 2: Could get get away with eighty dollars.
Speaker 1: Borderlands four tried to do it and pulled back at the last moment and went back to seventy dollars before launch, And I think that I got everyone like thinking it's like, you know, they could charge whatever they want, that's right, but I do not have to buy it at launch, and I will wait and if they don't drop in price, I simply will not buy it. That is a mind's set that has settled in, I think with consumers. And you know, part of that is out of necessity as people try to save money for essentials as those all continue to go up in price. I mean, Chuck, we just got the inflation numbers. We're back up to four percent inflation. Baby, let's fucking go usay everybody, it's getting worse out there again.
Speaker 2: And so all of like the training we've done over the.
Speaker 1: Last five years, as we've had persistent hyperinflation for half a decade now, people have like really trained themselves to look for a deal. Those instincts are kicking back in. And this is the exact kind of game Sorrows that will get hurt most by that, I think. And I just don't know how these companies sort of deal with that, because they the way that they make these games on a timeline of five to seven years, or you know, maybe Sorrows is like a four year development cycle something like that. That's still a very long time. It's hard to plan ahead, and really the only tool you have in your toolbox is like, as a big company, a big publisher, is make your game more expensive looking. And that seems like a bad strategy right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they tried that, right, this game looks like hot. It's it's hot stuff. I mean, who Coli'S on this? Yes, absolutely looking very good. It is gorgeous. I played. I think I'm like five hours into it. I'm not very far into it, but I'm chewing it up. I'm really enjoying it. But yeah, that extra investment on top of what they did with Fraternal doesn't feel like it's paying off, although I do think it really is more market forces. Right, I wanted to yell recession indicator when you were talking about people not being more they're being more frugal, not wanting to buy on a seventy dollars game, right, Yeah, I have to imagine this is like a failure almost on the part of Sony. Right when they're talking probably with the studio about like where they're going to price their game, like what they're gonna do, this feels like Housemark just got screwed. In that conversation and that analysis.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I really do feel for house Mark who does feel like it was implied to them.
Speaker 2: I bet they.
Speaker 1: It's always a two way street, this idea of oh, a studio gets told by a publisher what they have to do, and it's like yeah, in a way, because what happens is the people that hold the money want to hear something, and the people who make the games know what they want to hear, and they sort of shape their pitches to.
Speaker 2: Fit that that mold that you know, fit the environment.
Speaker 1: And when I look at Returnal and then Sorrows, games that I do think are both very good, this that you could just kind of see.
Speaker 2: That they were made to fit the PlayStation.
Speaker 1: Mold and it's like, oh yeah, what that really means at the end of the day is these games are bigger, more expensive, and then have to sell more and it's just yeah, that's that's an uphill battle, and they kind of you know, this is a studio that once just made little arcade games that did surprisingly well, and now they have to sort of stand alongside the naughty dogs, and that's going to be a tough thing to pull off. All right, let's keep going here. On the other side of the fence Xbox. You know, it's been reevaluating exclusives since Asha Sharmas took taken over as head of Microsoft.
Speaker 2: Gaming, which is now at just Xbox again.
Speaker 1: They got rid of Microsoft Gaming, but that is always getting you know, different indicators there as for example, hell Blade two on PS five has been considered a pretty big success over there. This is from Liam Croft at push Square. Microsoft has confirmed excuse me, that it's going to have another think about its stance on first party Xbox games be imported to other platforms as new lead Asha Sharma looks to improve the Xbox brand. However, for those titles it's already put on PS five, they're often considered a success. The latest one is Sinuous Saga Helblay two, which was ported to PS five in an enhanced edition last year. Ninja Theory has reported in its latest financial statement first Linked of first Link dated tenth of May, a profit of five million pounds and the successful release of Helblay two on PlayStation five. It's now turning his attention to future project work, meaning more than Inju Theory games are on their way. They did not share the hard numbers, so we don't have a great way to compare and contrast. Here, Chuck, they just said successful release of hail Blake two hell Blay two on PlayStation five. We don't know what they consider to be success, but I bet that this is right in line with what we've seen. When these Xbox games go to PlayStation five, a pretty big audience jumps on them. I would not expect forts and numbers for this, obviously, Fort says this Unicorn, Uh, but yeah, this is every one of these stories has got to make it harder for Asha Sharma and her team to be like, and now let's put everything back on Xbox exclusively, right.
Speaker 3: Isn't it funny watching Asha Sharma tackle all of these problems and challenges and questions that Phil Spencer had to deal with over like the last decade or whatever. She's she's reevaluating every single one of them, every single one of them. It's probably gonna make the exact same like flip flop between choices that he did. I hope. Hm. I keep thinking and wondering when she's going to be hit with her first, Like, we need to reduce headcount, right, something happened in Microsoft. We need to reduce and Asha make the call who Who's it going to be? Right, Like that's gonna happen to her at some point. I wonder if she gets like a little bit of cover but she's gonna read.
Speaker 1: It feels like she's in a grace period right now, because I thought there were like rumors right that, like there were going to be a head count reduction at Xbox a few weeks back under Asha Sharma, and I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be surprised, juck if it was like She's like.
Speaker 1: Guys, you can like give me some time, like that can't be like one of the first things that happens under my leadership. Give me a second, like, let me at least get to SGF, Let me put out a few games, and then we can talk about that.
Speaker 2: It does feel like it's coming though, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know we're getting sort of off based from hbly too. But one word thing about Ash specifically is working for a company like Microsoft. I will say this with like probably some unearned confidence, but it does not matter how well Xbox does. It doesn't Yes, if Microsoft has a bad quarter, if their cloud strategy doesn't work out, like they committed to shipping to open Ai right like bare metal servers and stuff like that. If they missed that, if that deal goes somewhere else, Xbox gets cut. It doesn't matter if they sold a billion fucking Xboxes and tons of exclusive titles. If that happens, Xbox takes cuts. And I think that's what happened with Phil and for gamers, it's like, we're not thinking about the larger ecosystem of Microsoft when we evaluate, like why did they close you know, Arcane Austin or whatever. That is just the circumstance that she's going to live in and have to get used to. And yeah, I hope, I hope she does have a great period in this first year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yes, If for no other reason, then just give some people at Microsoft more time to figure stuff out and have a little bit more protection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: When it comes to Helblay two specifically or PlayStation five ports, I think I think it's going to be very hard for them to look at the numbers and decide we're going to be done putting stuff on PlayStation five. If anything, they just go, well, if what happened with hell Blay Too, well, hell Blay Too was a delayed you know, exclusivity window. It was on Xbox m PC and then eventually went to PlayStation five and everyone seems pretty happy with that, and we made money and the studio over there called it a success. Maybe we should just keep doing things that way. And that feels like the middle ground that they will continue to settle on of Hey, we can have our cake and eat it to a little bit here, But that doesn't sort of change the narrative around why you need to get an Xbox, which is what that conversation is really about. But I think that's my point here, Chuck, that the conversation won't change around that. I still like coming out of all this, when they finally make a decision after probably weeks and weeks and tens of you know, hundreds of hours of meetings, I think they're going to settle in the same place where they don't super care if you buy an Xbox. They super care if you buy Call of Duty. And I don't think that's going to change. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if i'm Xbox, do I really want to be a hardware company? Does that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I want to be a hardware company in the year twenty twenty six, that actually sounds bad. Right, and they already did all the hard work, Like they already killed all their brand loyalty. So it's like, if you already did it, why don't you just focus on making some good games and put them out wherever people want to play them? Right? That feels weird because like traditionally, like I was a big Xbox person, even to like the Xbox one generation, Like, I love that shit. I had a really good time. I love their I think their operating systems better. But that's feels weird talking about Microsoft and saying that. But I feel like it's better on a console, and I liked their social stuff better. It was easier to play with my friends and everything. But it's like, you already did the hard work, you already ripped off the band aid. Just put the games out on PC and PlayStation you know, Okay, give it like six months or whatever before you put it out on PlayStation five, but still just do it. I don't know. I think that's where they She's trying to ingratiate herself, and she's listening to a lot of angry people and what they're angry at Phil about, and yeah, you could respond to that, or you know, just take the work, the bad work he already did and just benefit from it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, exactly, Like yeah, right, moving sort of the football back in the field on your own at a certain point feels a little bit silly, you know. I get that, Like her wanting to ingratiate herself is an indicator, and it's on it like on its own. It's it is you know, she obviously has some marching orders to go in there and do something that feels good for people who are Xbox fans. But I just like, yeah, you made the right point of that. This is not you know, if anything, this is not it's the tail on the dog, and it's not a tail that even wags the dog Xbox. It is the thing that matters over there is their services.
Speaker 2: It is AI, and that is you know, even when.
Speaker 1: Like you said, if that goes bad, even when it goes good, as they continue to grow in that space, that like we need more money to put into AI. Take that from gaming and put it over here. So that was already happening, and if it goes bad, it'll be it'll be a lot worse, it'll be much more of a bloodbath. But yeah, I think that we will get a good, A good, a better idea. Going into this SGF where they show us their games, we kind of hear the tenor of the conversation as they explain their thought process, and then as they launched this next hardware, we'll really know at that point, like what they think. But I still don't know they know what they think in this moment. It's like those decisions might not have been made.
Speaker 3: It sucks ass that they probably made the best console hardware of this generation in the Xbox series x I. I honestly believe that, I think and.
Speaker 2: I really like using it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then just everything around it and just didn't pan out that.
Speaker 2: Way, right, Yeah, it was too late. It's too late, all right, So let's go ahead and take a break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll be talking about Capcom doing real well as always. Somehow Silent Hill is just back and better than ever. We'll get into all of that and more. If you want to skip out on these, go to Giant buond dot coms. Let's join and become a premium member. We will be right back. All right, we are back. It's Game Mess Mornings. That's Chuck on grub. Let's do this next story. Capcom updates its game sales figures with its best ever annual financial report. This is from Alberto Garrido at Game Reactor. Year after year, we have been reporting on and enjoying many of the releases from Capcom's video game division. Street Fighter, Devil Maycrime, Monster Hunter, Pragmata, and of course Resident Evil have earned the respect and acclaim of critics and public and the public alike with each new installment or with the launch in the case of Pragmata, and today we see how the company has fared in its latest financial report. In the report's presentation material, we see the list of Capcom's thirteen best selling games for the twenty twenty sixth financial year has been updated a long with their total sales figures. The cash cow is Resident Evil and its latest installment, Requiem, stands out here as the franchise's best selling launch in history. Meanwhile, long running franchises such as Double May Cry five and Monster Hunter Rise continue to sell incredibly well, particularly Dante's Hack and Slash title, which has just celebrated seven years on the market. Monster Hunter Wild's, even with its impressive total of eleven million copies, seems to be lagging behind it's graphically less powerful and older cousins.
Speaker 2: That's the story, and Monster Hunter is always in a weird place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is they sold more games than they've ever sold before in an annual period, Chuck. Resident Evil Requiem is at six point nine million copies sold. The Resident Evil franchise just crossed two hundred million copies sold. They have all this energy, and it seems like with every new Resident Evil game, it doesn't just sort of get the benefit of all the excitement around the series, like deposits more energy back into the franchise and creates more excitement for all of those games, and then that folds back in on the next game, and it's this virtuous cycle, as our friend Jim Ryan once said. And I think like, obviously Resident Evil is the poster child here. They're kind of trying to replicate that across the board, and it feels like, you know, Monster one hundred, Street Fighter maybe a little bit aside, those kind of have their own cadence of releases and how they do things, but it feels like, hey, they're going to try to do that with pragmat Eventually they're going to try to do that with Devil May Cry and It could all work, but at the very least they have Resident Evil just delivering quarter after quarter. Capcom's got to figure it out. It feels like, Chuck, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do absolutely. I was thinking about, like you know, Capcom tent poles, and I mean they're listed here, right, Resident Evil being like the biggest one Monster Hunter. I started squinting in like really, I was like looking at Devil Maycry in Street Fighters six, and I'm wondering if your Capcom are you you probably need to do some like harder value because those are not as like the runaway successes of these others on the list, right, street Fighter six? Is that twenty twenty three double Make Cries?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right? Problem right? Correct? Me? Doubt Make Cries five? Is what is that twenty twenty? When is that that's an ad?
Speaker 2: It was its twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I wonder if we don't see one of those for a while, and if we do, it'd like look completely different. But I I think so this happened with the Monster her World and then Village. I think this really happened where obviously Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are ubiquitous for gamers and like very well known, well respected franchises, beloved franchises. But I feel like those two games Village in Monster and the World broke through like a like not a crazy ceiling, but they broke into like a bigger consciousness with people buying and playing games. And then I think Requiem is like a full beneficiary of that effect. They just they just got a little bit bigger. They're the supporting more of the tent, right yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think they could keep finding ways to like slowly.
Speaker 1: Do that with more and more of their games. They do not seem to get out over their skis. They don't seem to just take big wild swings. They sort of methodically approach like they're like, hey, let's see, well, you know, things get out of hand in terms of like pragmatics. Probably took a lot longer to get out the door than they intended it to take. That's, you know, that is the trouble that they have that every publisher and developer seems to have, where it's like hey, scope creep, and just the normal hurdles of development continue to cause headaches about just getting a game shipped, and everyone experiences that, including Capcom.
Speaker 2: But when they deliver.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, no, we're going to deliver something that is very much what our audience wants. And we have curated and sort of nursed that audience to expect our games, and so we have this sort of potential large cohortive consumers ready to be active the second we dropped something, and and we sort of benefit off each other. They get a game they really want, we get the sell game.
Speaker 2: To a lot of people.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know, it's easier said than done, obviously, but it's not impossible to replicate because next story here, Uh, Konami's Silent Hill comeback looks real. Konami announced Silent Hill f has surpassed two million copies worldwide. That's a cumutive cumuitative shipments and digital sales. Konami also says Silent Hill two has passed six million players including ship units, store downloads, and subscription service players. Uh, Silent Hill has somehow gone from punchline to a fully functioning franchise. Chuck, Yeah, I think just a couple of years ago, you talk about Silent Hill and you and the only reason you do that is to be like, man, look at the Silent Hill fans over there, aren't they miserable?
Speaker 2: And isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: And now it's like, look at those Silent Hill fans, aren't they miserable but also secretly kind of happy that their game's rule school Now.
Speaker 2: They Konami is.
Speaker 1: Figuring it out too, and that felt impossible at one time. So so all these other companies that are like feeling around in the dark trying to find their way to this audience of people who are willing to spend money on video games.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously it's not as easy as just.
Speaker 1: Saying, just do what Capcom's doing, But Konami did it and it's working.
Speaker 3: It does feel like that's exactly what they're looking at and doing. Yeah, it really helps when you have some like strong legacy ip that people are very fuss of your Ora entries. You get to have, you know, your off releases get to be remakes, and then you get to do some new stuff, and because you're on the goodwill of a remake, right, then you get to do that new thing and people are more receptive, like maybe they understand what's going on here, what we're doing. Man, that game Fox huh, Silent hillf really good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like you know, we've so we've had a lot of stories.
Speaker 1: Now today chuck about how how many people are playing the single player game, and you know, I always apreciate that the people listening to the show as we have these conversations, but I always like, I forget, like sometimes there's gonna be people people listening who will go.
Speaker 2: Why do I care? I just want to play the games.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to ever try to convince that person to care, because you should. If you are enjoying playing the games and that's all you care about, You're probably a happier person than I am. Just go keep doing that. But I can't help but like look at this stuff and try to understand how decisions get made in this industry and what like what is happening today, what does that mean for the kinds of games we're going to get tomorrow? And you know, there are people in this industry that listen to shows like this and like kind of work backward of like, Okay, this is what the gamers are talking about. You know, we have this hunch that if we try to do things like X, we might be able to see why result. And they're having that conversation on that show where they're kind of saying the same thing, and I just like want to like get at that nugget of like what what is going to move people to spend money on video games? Because that is going to dictate the kinds of games that these companies think they can get away with making.
Speaker 2: And right now, it's like there's a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: To be hopeless or to be sort of a doom and gloom about this industry. But when we see things like things can work, and then we compare that to like, Hey, Sorrows was disappointing? What went wrong there? And I do I just think it does feel like that value proposition. I think that was the one key thing here that like seventy dollars for Sorrows didn't make sense to people, sixty dollars for Pragmata made sense to a lot more people, it felt like, And so what's the difference there, Because I don't think that like making those games would look all that different like from one to the other. But yeah, I just feel like you can make these games that can do well. You just kinda have to like work with what we are feeling as consumers right now, and we just want to feel like we're getting away with something.
Speaker 2: We're getting a bigger game.
Speaker 1: Than And even though Pragmata and Resident Evil Requiem, Chuck, those are games that people like, Hey, these are a little bit short, they're still selling and then there's a huge number of people we were waiting for it to drop just a little bit in price and will probably jump on it when it's fifty dollars. But we think the same is true of Sorrows. It's just like Pragmata and Residue Requiem are also selling at their full price, which is what these companies need to see to kind of feel good about them. So as we like, look at how all these games are doing. If you were on the other side, if you were making games at a publisher, Chuck, how would you be feeling in this moment? Would you feeling like there is reasons for confidence? Would you be dooming gloom? I don't know, how are you feeling about it?
Speaker 3: Good product sells like that feels extremely true, right, and it sells if you're not also taxing your most loyal customers. So I'm like thinking about I was just looking up Okay, Silent Hill f I launched just seventy dollars. Huh sold pretty well, but also launched everywhere. It was on Windows, PlayStation, and Xbox. It's like, okay, so they price sell a little bit of a premium, but they put it out everywhere sorrows price to the premium, and you're paying the tax of having to be on PlayStation hardware. It's like, okay, that's a little rough. And then you have Pregmata, who's seems like they're scraping in the most money out of the three. Right, it seems like they're on that trajectory and they priced a little lower, came out everywhere. I'm thinking, like, if you're a game developer, a game publisher, game developer, you want your stuff accessible wherever it can be played. Oh man, especially if you can like optimizing it on switch to Yeah, it's like a banger thing to do.
Speaker 2: It seems like it's helping you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's that's what I would be thinking if I if I'm in the publishing business for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, people have pointed out here coming out of the Capcom earning support, they do have a slide in here about using generative AI. Capcom is built in internal multimodal generative AI system used for idea generation and concepting, AI generated images, illustrations and visual references, fictional in game products, posters, snacks, props, prompt generation, and automated quality evaluation. The system reads text, images and tables from design docs and output ideas automatically. If outputs don't meet requirements, the system auto generates corrective prompts and retries. Capcom frames this as reducing routine, non creative work and speeding up world building tasks. They claim it allows one person to do brainstorming cycles that previously required multiple people. Now check Com into like a weird place with all of this, because like every time I try to think about what would stop AI from taking over, it's like nothing because it's cheaper and faster and not necessarily better. But if cheaper and faster companies are going to embrace it. I talked to you the other day about interchangeable parts specter in World War two, and think about, Hey, that was literally worse than what Europe was doing, which was every part handmade, but it was cheaper and faster, so the whole world adopted it very quickly after World War Two.
Speaker 2: That is the story of free markets.
Speaker 1: Free markets will just sort of let the path of least resistance or the path of saving the most money and doing things the quickest, even if it's worse. And then when I see something like this, I'm like, Okay, so generative AI feels a little bit different because I you know, if I go back to that quote that was on Twitter or whatever years ago, at this point of I want AI to do my dishes and clean my house so I can paint and make music, not I don't want the eye to paint and make music so that I have to clean my house. And that feels like that should be like the default human position. And then on top of that, you see this, like hey, this last line here, they claim it allows one person to do the brainstorming cycles that previously required multiple people. And it's like having companies and especially executives been saying for years now, the reason we need to get back in the office is so we can get multiple people in the room so they can brainstorm together and we can have that serendipity of just the meeting of the minds. And now suddenly they're like, well, we just need one person doing this, and so, well, what's the difference, And it's obviously you know, they were paying a lease on an office and they wanted to keep getting They want to get use out of that, so they want people back in the office. Now they could see an opportunity to save money by having fewer people in the brainstorming session. So now that's their position and it's just going the way the wind blows. Is not what got capcom to where it is in all those conversations we were just having. So it just feels like there is a pit they could fall into here, especially coming off with something like Pragmata, which was sort of a lampooning of AI, the whole moon being designed to look like AI, but designed by their own people. And now they are shifting into this instead. I don't know, what do you make of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, stepping on a rake, right, Yeah, And the exact kind of generative AI they're talking about. These are lms created on the backs of copyrighted materials, written materials that they scraped from websites, they swooped and stole images off of like Google search indexes. Right, That's how these things are made. That's how open AI and anthropic and everyone makes these things. It is theft, intellectual property, theft yep. I don't know of any major in use LM. That's like we bought the rights to everything and they all signed off on this, and then we train it that that doesn't exist in my mind at least, or it's not in wide use, or it sucks, which makes sense. Yeah, this is just a full rake step. It's you're undercutting like the human element. I think about Star Trek a lot. I think about the Galactic Federation, where like man roden Berry was thinking, because this problem in the future of humans are going to be a lot less suited to doing the work of machines at some point. It's an inevitability because we're going to build things like lllms, or we're gonna build a factory that makes interchangeable parts, and so we need people to be able to pursue their interest and pursue work and then put a premium on that work by supporting them and floating them. Doing stuff like universal basic can come right. So I often I'm thinking about the Federation and the Star Trek future and how we're not there and we have a collection of world governments on our toothless and won't do anything to push back against these businesses. That are just completely stealing human creative output and creating you know, entropy machines or whatever. I could, I could really go on them, yeah, cub, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's like, you know, the thing that leads to that a society that sort of can't that is you know, the post what it's called the put like when there's not a surplus of star or when there is a surplus of stuff. But yeah, when you're in a society that has everything all their needs met, uh, that's great. But what happened before that, Like what was the you know and and star trek.
Speaker 3: It was World War three?
Speaker 2: World War three.
Speaker 1: There was years of fighting over resources and fighting over stuff and trying to control these things and making the model fit into the free market capitalist model. And it's something that is inherently sort of supposed to like it does not make sense for that because it gets rid of scar thank you post Scar City society, thank you chat.
Speaker 2: And it's yeah, that's the thing you know that.
Speaker 1: We do get told by the people who are are selling us these llms that you know, you can be a luddite and try to stand against it. But the Ludites were wrong. Eventually, this was good for workers. And we know, like if we just read a little bit, you know, that's not how it actually went down. It was two hundred years of pain in places like the UK where the Industrial Revolution began, before labor laws came into practice and really change things. And that's actually what happened. And I'm not going to live for two hundred years, so I'm not going to see the benefits of us finally waking up from this. So we kind of have to figure this shit out now. And the Industrial Revolution did not solve itself. It did not like become good for people on its own. We really had to get in there put guardrails in place. And these companies will tell us we don't need to do that, it'll just have like they just the free market will figure it out. But we obviously need to do more than that. And in the meantime, these companies aren't going to want to save money and they aren't going to want to be left behind, and they do have all investors who are universally wanting to hear how they are using AI to it to make them more money. And uh, while that is happening, the one tool we're going to continue to have is to yell at, yell and shame of these companies. Are yell at the yell at and shame these companies and the people responsible for these decisions. So people should definitely keep at that.
Speaker 2: And if they're all.
Speaker 3: All those gamers are distracted right now with with woke and DEI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard the Sarkisians back, and we should be fucking pissed about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah's the problem. It's not you know, it's not completely eliminating the human element from it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like they're using people's inherent hatred of women against them to divide them so they don't see who's really responsible for all the reason everything is terrible.
Speaker 2: But that can't be true.
Speaker 3: In the book, oldest trick in the book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just can't be the case. All right, let's let's keep let's stick with with Capcom here. Uh, residentval cod Veronica remake is heading much stronger in the horror direction. This is from my Nintendo News. Resident Evil insider Dusk Gullam has shared a little more about what he has heard recently about the rumored Resident Evil Code Veronica remake over at Capcom. Golam says that the team is fully like just saying that Gollam as if it's like his last name. Gullam says that the team is fully embracing horror and is pushing the remake to go further in that direction. He says that, of course there will be plenty of action sequences, but they wanted to retain a dark horror style atmosphere. I don't really think that they are at this point. Code Veronica remake is going in a much stronger horror direction than the original Code Veronica. Excuse Me still has silly stuff and action stuff, but the horror aspect is increased in the remake, and all of Capcom's data tells them that horror is constantly the most successful, well liked, and standout moments for players. Capcom is a very data based company, and every data point for them shows that they should embrace horror more. Residentvill n I was a project long and de that changed from multiple changed multiple times, and wanted to try to capture every Resident Evil game in different sections give shades of the whole franchise. It has shades of literally every are game in it, and now they're going to kind of maybe go back to focusing on one concept for the for these remakes. To me, that sounds like probably the right choice. I really liked Requiem because it did everything and it was pretty good at bouncing back and forth. But coming out of it, I agree with everyone sort of generally held assessment that the best parts were the scarier parts, they were the Grace parts, and that it was sort of a fun reprieve to get to go play as Leon. But then when I go to replay that game, I am definitely like kind of doing the thing where I'm like, I'm playing through all the Grace stuff and then I get to the Leon stuff and maybe I'll put it down for a bit and I don't go back.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it was there on my first.
Speaker 1: Play through, but it's obvious at this point that the scary horror elements of the first part, you know, religious, plays to the strength of Resident Evil.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm welcoming this. How about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Leon is a pacing tool, right, that's what you're Yes? So I never played Code Veronica. Was there ever a remaster of this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Uh, there's well, there's like re releases, but it's like ports, updated ports, but never really like major remaster.
Speaker 2: And yes, this will be the first remake.
Speaker 3: Obviously, this is an extremely well reviewed game on its release. This is a game that, yes, it was suffered from being trapped on like it wasn't all like exclusively on Dreamcast.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Or was it it eventually went went to a bunch of places, but yeah, it was at Dreamcast first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I see everybody lots of people in chat begging for this and wanting this remake. Yeah, this sounds sick. I would love a like a full horror Resident Evil game. I will say, like I am, I'm not a scaredy cat. I can handle it a lot, but I definitely I loved the Leon breaks and but I don't know if that's possible in a game like this. I wonder if this had some like camp elements that broke stuff up. But I need I need to I just need to go play some old Resident Evils. Rick Wielm, Well, yeah, my only Resident Evil game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, uh, I think yeah, going back at this point, especially like if you go back to the PlayStation games, because I'm also a scaredy cat, those are they're they're gonna spooky here there, or they're gonna jump scare you. But they're a lot easier to go down these days because they just aren't as scary as they once were. Uh, and then you get all the great sort of atmosphere of resident evil still and the fun, cheesy acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're great to go back to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, saying sorry, this is what I was saying earlier about like a company that's in a position with one of their temple franchises to be able to go do remakes remasters and then bounce back to doing like and like get multiple studios kind of spin in those place. Ah. That rules. That's like a really great spot to be in. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It just it looks super efficient.
Speaker 1: It looks like, Yeah, it feels like they got it all figured out.
Speaker 2: And uh, we'll see how Ai fucks it up for him. Uh, all right.
Speaker 1: Nintendo won't focus on making Switch two games exclusively, Switch one remains important. This is from Eddie McCoo at GameSpot. Nintendo president Shintaro for Okawa has stressed how vital vital it is for the company to keep driving sales of Switch one games even though the Switch to has come to market. During the company's latest earnings brief, for Okawa said, I believe it's important that we consider how to expand the entire software business, including titles for both Nintendo Switch and switch To. He said Nintendo should take this approach as opposed to focusing only on sales of Nintendo switch To software. For Akawa said that this is in response to a said this in a response to a question about the slowed sales of Switch To exclusive Mario Kart World after the company discontinued the hardware bundle that included the game. The executive said Mario Kart World remains an important title for Nintendo and that he expects to continue to sell throughout expects it to continue to sell throughout the life cycle of the switch To. For Akawa also addressed Nintendo's forecast that it would sell sixty million games during the current fiscal year that ends March thirty first, twenty twenty seven. He said that that number is lower than some might have expected because it does not include bundled software like it did for the switch To's first fiscal year when the Mario Kart World bundle was available. All right, let let's talk about this this Switch one thing here. So they have one game right now, I think like that is from them that is a Switch One game.
Speaker 2: First and that is Rhythm Heaven Groove.
Speaker 1: Now they are coming off with Tombadatci Life, which just happened and is also a Switch one game and doesn't even have a Switch to version yet.
Speaker 2: But they have not announced anything else.
Speaker 1: You know, they are probably going to have a direct here in June and they I guess they could announce some new Switch one games.
Speaker 2: But what do you what do you think this is?
Speaker 1: Is this is this some sort of like playcating investors a little bit, trying to remind them, Hey, we have this thing that has one hundred and fifty five million units out there, and we're going to keep selling to that audience. So don't freak out about us saying we're going to sell slightly fewer Switch.
Speaker 2: Twos this next fiscal year. Is it just that simple?
Speaker 3: So earlier I talked about, you know, do you want to be a hardware company or a software company? Nintendo? I, if I'm them, I think I think this is a bad idea to continue to float Switch one. A Switch one, you had a really good life cycle for that console. You do need to be pushing Switch to sales. You need to be focused on putting out quality Switch two games that use the full capabilities of the hardware. I don't like this. I think it's a poor idea. But I get the quarterly mindset of like why you want to do this because you do have that install base and you can sell games to them and you can make money, print money with that thing. But I think long term it's just the poor idea, and it's it is a response to obviously like hardware and AI chomping on memory, they're having their price increase. When does that kick in.
Speaker 2: It's like September first for most of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a little bit, but by the end of May and Japan, but that's a completely different thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's tough. I don't like the business bastard man of like, you know, we need to put exclusives on our new stuff to sell those. But like Nintendo specifically is the one out of anyone we've talked about today in a position to do exactly that, and they should be doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think this is uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're in a tough position because they probably do want to get people excited about the switch to I bet most of the games they have coming out are actually switched to exclusives, but it is a very different story than what happened from the three DS to the Switch one. By the time the Switch one was out, like that, audience was very ready to put away their three DS is, you know, regardless of how great that system actually was, and it was, people were just done buying games for it. And we saw that that Mario and Luigi remake from Alpha Dream came out and no one bought it, Warrior Where Gold came out and no one bought it, and these were these were pretty good games, and the Warrior where Gold game was very good, but just no one bought it, and it kind of hurt those franchises. In the Mario Luigi case closed down Alpha Dream, they made they made no money from this big project that they spent a lot of money making, and it caused them to have to close down. But that was because they went from the three DS to the switch and you could not play three DS games on the Switch one. Now the switch to can ploy Switch one games, and I think Nintendo's like, hey, we're we have already got a couple examples of games that were Switched one games doing very well and selling well on the Switch to as well. And no one's really sort of batting an eye Tomadauci Life. Forty percent of players are playing on switch to and no one's complaining that it doesn't have these X feature or why feature. Now, I wish it had a mouse mode. I do wish it had a switch to version, but I'm not really thinking about that all that much while playing that game. So I think they're like, Okay, we can get away with it a lot more this time around. And then there's all these macroeconomic reasons to be doing this. The rising price of components selling switch tos is going to be a little bit more challenging.
Speaker 2: We had to raise the price.
Speaker 1: That's not even covering our costs, says for Akawa. So another price increase could it be in the cards for the future. It could continue to get worse, So them keeping the switch one around it just feels like a little bit of an escape patch for them of like, hey, we're gonna we gotta find ways to keep making money as things as the uncertainty continues.
Speaker 2: To build in a world that is already very uncertain. All right.
Speaker 1: Three D platformer Garfield Escape from Monday announced.
Speaker 2: For Switch one.
Speaker 1: Really holy shit microids along with oh someome games or oh some studio, I should say. Today unveiled Garfield Escape from Monday for Nintendo Switch. The game is due out on September twenty fourth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Uh is a.
Speaker 1: Veggie filled three D platformer and it players will need to help the tabby cat wake up from his nightmare by exploring different worlds.
Speaker 3: So is he being plagued by vegetables because.
Speaker 2: He's being played?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yes, we got to hack this game, chuck and replace it with Mike Manati.
Speaker 3: And fruit Nintendo Switch groub. I'm not I'm not doing any hacking's okay.
Speaker 2: This game has got to be on other stuff.
Speaker 1: I got this story from a Nintendo Everything I'm assuming chat. Is this coming out elsewhere? Is it really just for Switch?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Crazy license game to get put out on one thing?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, although although you know those kinds of like kid Family games do sell on Switch more than they sell anywhere else.
Speaker 2: All right, and then last story here concerned aph.
Speaker 3: Oh, we do have to shout out and talk about Gerstman and gerst Field. Did you ever watch him play those?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely? Yes.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to mention that this is the news for the other Jeff G We'll make sure that I'll send this over to him, make sure he knows what's happening over here.
Speaker 3: Everybody. I'm sure this is the most important thing that will happen to him today is reading about this.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, I know what it's like to have something to be associated with you, and like how people will make sure you know. I bet already just probably somewhere between fifteen one hundred acts at him on like Blue Sky about this game.
Speaker 2: And that's just weazy.
Speaker 1: Oh Bobbs, you're here concerned. Dape says, Haunted Chocolatier is way bigger than Starduo Valley. This is from Ali Reynolds at Nintendo Life. That's really the story here. I mean it's way bigger than Stardu Valley, at least in terms of the amount of maps, the amount of monsters.
Speaker 2: The depth of the whole.
Speaker 1: Item system and all the equipment slots and all the stuff like this.
Speaker 2: Everything is cranked up.
Speaker 1: I think that this is something we see from a lot of indie dev's, especially ones that have success in their first game and they have time and money to work on the next one. I think they feel an obligation to do even more the next time around as to not disappoint their fans, and it can lead to things getting bigger and out of hand and taking ten to fifteen years for the follow up to happen, especially as concerned Ape continues updating Stardew Valley, which is happening constantly. In fact, I think you put Haunted Chuklatier aside for a minute for a while to work even more on starduw Valley. Sounds like back at it with Haunted Chocolate heer. Yes, when you hear that is that? Does that excite you? Because for me, I'm like, I don't know, just get out of like a like something streamlined, get it out there, and then spend years updating that the way you have Starduo Valley. But that's I think that's me someone who gets a lot of games as part of my job. I bet this is music to the ears of people who are like, this will be my game for the next decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Have you gone back to Starduo Valley recently?
Speaker 2: Not recently recently? Actually no.
Speaker 1: I did to play with the Steam Controller a little bit, but I didn't see anything new in there.
Speaker 2: I was just poking around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they he added completely new like islands. I think that you can like sail to and it could be like a lot you're like, oh shit, But there's also like tons of quality of life features. I think that's primarily what he's done on STARDUW Valley in particular, like multiplayer. At that game did not ship with multiplayer. He added that later. I think, yeah, that's correctly the year year. I adore Starduo Valley. Eric Brown is one of my game development heroes. He's the man. I love that he's I don't love this, but it's funny watching him get chased by misinformation because of how much people love the shit that he puts out. Yeah, it's like a cool spot to be in. I trust his vision for game development. So if he wants to make something bigger, more maps, more variety, like absolutely, do your thing. Man. He doesn't miss. I mean, he's made one game, but it didn't miss. All right, do your thing for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're gonna get to the pull question here in a second. But let's see here Aaron Line with a super check. Capcom and Konami are cooking Sega, moving off games as a service and focusing on those focusing on those reboots instead, and Square promising a big twenty twenty seven. Japanese publishers seem to have it figured out. I'll say that I tend to agree with that, and I think Square Nix might be the best example in the way, because they were doing things one way. They said this isn't working, and then they changed, and now I think we're witnessing that change happen. I don't think they've delivered on like sort of like what that change means, but you could see that they are trying to shift to like their their their way of doing things, so once again, maybe be a little bit more like Capcom.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: But it's like if the Square Enix can do it a company I think it was once also a little bit of a punchline of oh my god, look at the decisions this company makes. It's like, does feel like they understand what they're doing wrong? Maybe they could sort of sort it out. I think they are going to have a really good twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see here the poll question from Monday. Let me get this out of the way.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get forts the horizon five at the early access price on Friday?
Speaker 2: Yes or no? We actually also, yeah posted it? I think you posted it again? Oh yeah, oh did I post it again? Okay, yes, so we got it. We got it? Okay. Are you going to grab Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't see this. I'm sorry about that. Thanks, Jane, appreciate it. Are you going to grab the Forts Rice and six premium bundle one hudred and twenty dollars to play early?
Speaker 2: Yes or no? Six percent said yes, Ninety four percent said no in the.
Speaker 1: First poll, and on the second poll seven percent said yes.
Speaker 2: Hold ninety three percent said no.
Speaker 3: Read the first poll like the newest poll, word for word.
Speaker 2: The newest one.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get Forts to Rice five at the early access price on Friday? Oh man, that's uh oh that's a different number than the game that's actually coming out, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes? I rushed to do because I didn't.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I forgot to tell jam what the actual wording was, and then there it is. That shows how much I pay attention. All right, Yeah, so people are saying, like, you know, one out of twenty people are saying yes. That adds up when you have a franchise like Forts Horizon that so many people play. We know that Forts Horison five did have like a million people playing an early access. So yeah, again, that's one hundred and twenty dollars and that's a big number though. All right, we'll have a new poll question here in a second. First though, Chuck, when you want to tell people like where they can find you on the internet and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I'm Chucktowski dot com on Blue Sky That's mostly where I shit post. You can also find me on giant bomb dot com. I have a premium show, Nine Lives. I think I think it might damn well be the best sky roomshow on giant bomb dot com if I do say so myself. My creepy clusters right here in the discord call right now, Grub and Jam are on that you should watch Nine Lives. It goes places and it's going to continue to go places. Also, I do want to set a stream schedule for like my personal dream. I'm Chucktowski on Twitch as well. I keep thinking about daa Sex. What if I just streamed daya Sex and I just beat daya sexes? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like that would you start with the original day of sex.
Speaker 3: Or what I want recommendations? Maybe? You know? All right, very cool, but thanks for having me on. I love the show. It's a it's a great part of my morning.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I appreciate you being here, Chuck, thank you so much. All right, let's see her new pull question. Did you get sorrows? Yes or no? We will get the results of that on tomorrow show here on Giant Bombs speaking to Giant Bomb. Yeah, right after we're done, the Donkey Kong marathon continues. Mike's getting right back in them minds and he's going to be playing for a very long time today everybody, so get in there root him, you know, go root for him, cheer him on, and if you can support the website, become a new premium member. Add to that bar. We already have met the first incentive. He is locked in to one hundred and one percent in that game. He's gonna get all those bananas and then all of the other collectibles. I think he's on pace to maybe beat the game late on Friday, So like, yees, stick with us this week, watch it.
Speaker 2: We'll see maybe not.
Speaker 1: But can strap that's what you're saying, yeah, we should probably be adding more and more Apple things to the soundboard, is what I'm saying. We also got some other stuff in the works. I've been playing Forts the Horizon six. We'll have coverage of that here pretty soon. Keep an eye on the website for all that and more.
Speaker 3: Alt Mixtape and Uh and Forbidden Saltick Grub and I we tag team those. I think they turned out great. I like those games. I like both of them.
Speaker 2: I like both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't think either's either's like going to like Rock the World or they do for maybe bad reasons, but uh, they are enjoyable games for sure. All right, I think with all that out of the way, Chuck, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 2: Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you brother, no problem.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for watching and listening.
Speaker 1: You are the best audience in gaming, as proof by what's happening in those Donkey Kong streams. Until next time, I have a good one, Take care of yourself and goodbye.