Speaker 1: Pastor Rick Warren often says you were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense. Welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Today. In our series called God's Vision for the Rest of your Life, Rick continues in his effort to help you discover the unique purpose and vision that the Lord has for your life. Now, before we get started, we want to let you know that a very generous friend has given one hundred thousand dollars matching grant to Daily Hope. That means that all this month, every dollar you give to help Daily Hope share the hope of Jesus around the world will be matched up to one hundred thousand dollars. You can find out more by going to Pastorick dot com or by texting the word daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com, or the word daily to a hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part one of a message called how to Get Ready to be Used by God.
Speaker 2: Now we've been talking about how God has a purpose for your life, a plan for your life, a mission for your life, and the greatest adventure of life is to be used by God. Nothing else compares to that. Nothing comes close to the feeling of being used by God. And if you've never had that feeling of being used by God, I really feel sad for you. Because God wants to use you. And the Bible says God is looking for people to use. But there is a qualification. God says you must be usable. The Bible says this in Romans six thirteen. Let's read it aloud together, give yourselves completely to God so you can be tools in the hands of God to be used for his good purposes. God wants to use you for his good purposes. And the big question now is now, what what do I do? What are my next steps? Well, today we're going to look at those next steps. What you do once you've surrendered your life to say, God, whatever it takes, I want you to use my life. Because God says there are five things he looks for in your life. If you're going to have the blessing and the power and be usable by God, let's get right into him. Step one. The first step if I want to be used by God is to purify my heart. Purify my heart because God uses people with a pure heart, not a perfect person, but a pure person. And the Bible says on two Timothy two twenty one, if you keep yourself pure, you'll be a utensil. That's a tool that God can use for his purpose. If you keep yourself pure, your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work. Now, God uses all kinds of people. He uses shy people, he uses outgoing people, he uses really smart people, and he uses people who aren't so smart. He uses all different races, all different ages, all different stages of life, all different backgrounds. He uses men and women. God wants to use you. And God will use plane vessels, and he'll use ornate vessels, and he'll use big vessels, and he'll use small vessels. But there's one thing God will not use. He will not use a dirty vessel. We have to be clean on the inside. That's why Joshua when he was telling the people to get ready to go into the Promised Land, for forty years, they'd been waiting an entire nation, and the next day they're going to cross over the Jordan River and go into the Promised Land. They're going into the next stage of their vision, and Joshua says this. In the next verse, verse five Joshua three. Joshua told the people, purify yourselves. Now this is something you do to yourself, for tomorrow the Lord will do great one among you. God is going to do great things to this church. There's not a doubt in my mind. In the years ahead, we're on a new level, wor on a new plane. But the starting point is we must purify ourselves. How do you do that, Well, you do it through a real simple word, confession. Confession. Augustine said, the confession of bad works is the beginning of good works. And the Bible says this. Let's read first John one nine. Together. If we confess our sins to God, he will keep this promise and do right. He will forgive us our sins and purify us from all our wrongdoings. God says, here's your part, you confess, and my part is all purify. Now what does it mean to confess, Well, the word in Greek literally is the word homo. Oh, that's what confessed means in Greek, and confess homo means same like homogenized milk, the same and logeo means to speak, and so homologo literally means to speak the same about my sin that God does. Means I just agree with God. You're right. It wasn't a faux pas. It wasn't a mistake. It wasn't a peccadillo. It was a sin. Is call it for what it is. It was wrong. Now, it doesn't mean you're bargain with God. I'll never do it again. It doesn't mean you you bribe God. I promise to read my Bible every day if you'll forgive me. No, you just admit it, he said. All I got to do is admit it and God will forgive it. That's what he says. That's called grace. And so I admit it to God, and I say, God, what do you want me to confess? Here? Here's what I would suggest you do if you really want to be used by God this next week, take a day off. Here's your action step. Take an hour in a day or sometime in the next couple of days, and sit down with a yellow pad and say, God, just be quiet. God, show me what's between me and you, what's piled up in my life, what's wrong in my life? Just show me, and I'm gonna write it down and I'm gonna admit it. I'm just gonna confess to you. And you wait and you just say, God tell me, and you write something down. He gives you another idea. You write that down. First time I did it, I thought I was gonna write a book, The Purpose Driven Sinner. It was about nine pages long the first time I ever did this. Now I've done this many many times since. But the idea is you make a list and then you can write first John one nine all over it and say, God, I admit it to you. These are wrong. I don't want them in my life. And God says, I forgive, and I forget. So you ask God to cleanse your life. Who have I hurt? That's guilt. Who's hurt me? That's resentment? What am I worrying about? That's a lack of faith? Just things like that. Who have I been jealous of?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 2: Just cleanse your life. That's the starting point. I must purify my heart. Now here's the second one. This one's even a little bit more difficult. I need to sanctify my body.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope We've got some incredible news to share with you. A very generous friend has given a one hundred thousand dollars matching grant to this ministry all this month. Every dollar you give to help Daily Hope share the certain hope of Jesus around the world will be matched up to one hundred thousand dollars, So twenty five dollars becomes fifty dollars, fifty becomes one hundred and five hundred becomes a thousand. Whatever you give will be doubled by the matching grant up to one hundred thousand dollars, but only till midnight December thirty first, So please contact us today. Go to Pastorick dot com or just call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four.
Speaker 3: If you want to make your time in prayer the best it can be, then you're going to want to get a copy of the brand new twenty twenty one Daily Hope Prayer Journal. This year's theme, God's Great Adventure for You, will help you tap into God's power and presence when you learn how to pray with passion and purpose. Covered in soft vegan leather with full color pages, this prayer journal has sections to pray for specific people and situations, as well as space to express your gratitude and personal prayer requests to God. Each page is beautifully designed and filled with inspiring Bible verses, photos and artwork. The God's Great Adventure for You Prayer Journal is a spiritual growth tool designed to help you enjoy a vibrant prayer life, connect with God, and establish a consistent daily prayer time. When you give a gift to help daily Hope take the certain Hope of Jesus to people around the world, we'll send you the all new twenty twenty one Daily Hope Prayer Journal to say thanks. Quantities are limited, so don't wait. Call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four to get your Prayer Journal and have your gift matched up to one hundred thousand dollars. Or you can visit Pastorick dot com. That's eight hundred and six hundred five zero zero four or pastorick dot com.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope once again. Here's Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: So you ask God to cleanse your life. Who have I hurt? That's guilt? Who's hurt me? That's resentment? What am I worrying about. That's a lack of faith, just things like that. Who have I been jealous of? You need to cleanse your life. That's the starting point. I must purify my heart. Now here's the second one. This one's even a little bit more difficult. I need to sanctify my body. Sanctify my body. Now, what in the world does that mean. Well, sanctification is just a big, fancy theological word that means to dedicate something for God's purpose. You can sanctify anything. You could say, God, I sanctify this car. I dedicate it to you for your purposes. God, I sanctify this home. I dedicate it to you for your purposes. You can sanctify anything. It's whatever you give to God and say, God, you use it for your purposes. That's what it means. Now, God says, there's something I want you specifically to dedicate to me. It is your body. It is your body. Notice what the Bible says. Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who lives in you and was given to you by God. You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must read it with me. Honor God with your body. Now, how do you do that? How do you honor God with your body? Well, real simple, you take care of it. But let me give you a paraphrase of the phrase sanctify my body. Here you can write this one down. Here's what it means. Get in shape, that's what it means. And if you want God to use you, you got to get in shape because the better in shape you are, the more energy you'll have and the more God can use you. See how practical this is. God says, I want you to give your body to me. Why because you can't do anything without your body. Saw one nineteen verse seventy three says this, you made my body. Lord, Now give me the sense to heed your laws. You know. God set up the principles of good health, and he says there's a balance between eating and sleeping and exercising, and he says you need all three third John two, God says, I'm concerned about your health. I want you to be healthy. The Old Testament is full of rules about health, and actually a major part, one third of jesus ministry was helping people get healthy. So God says, I don't want you to just have a pure heart. I want you to have an in shape body so I can use you more effectively. Now, I guess of these three of a sleep and eat and exercise, that everybody in this room probably needs to work on one of them, at least some of you. You're not getting enough sleep, and you're tired all the time, and really having that extra hour sleep would probably help you be more effective in your life, and you would have more energy, and God could use you. God can't use somebody who's tired all the time. You're just moping around, jumping around. You need to get your proper rest. In fact, look at this verse up here on scripture. Someone twenty seven verse two on the video screen says this, it is senseless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night. For God wants his loved ones read it with me to get their proper rest. So for some of you, the most spiritual thing you can do is go to bed. Now, don't do it until his sermon's over. But I mean, don't go to sleep on me. But you need to get your rest. And so some of you need to work on the rest factor in dedicating your body. Some of you need to work like me. On the food factor, I don't know why God made food taste so good. I mean, you could have made it all taste like oatmeal, but he didn't. Look at this verse up here on the screen. First Corinthians six thirteen says food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food. But God will put an end to both. That means they're temporary. The body is not to be used for sexual immorality, but to serve the Lord. Now leave that scripturep there once you know those couple things. First, food is for the stomach, the stomach for food. What is he saying there? He's saying this, You eat to live, you don't live to eat. You see the difference. You eat to live, you don't live to eat. And then notice he compares over eating down here to sexual immorality. Now, I wouldn't put those in the same category. You know, you wouldn't think of, you know, cheating on your husband or your wife. But God says, you know, these are sins against the body. And he says this is serious. This is serious. God says, I want you to be in shape. And then, of course everybody needs exercise. Every one of us need exercise. Now I want to personally recommend to you sleepwalking. Okay, I highly recommend this. It's multitasking. Okay, you can get your rest and your exercise at the same time. Works really good. Okay, so you're doubling up your effort sleepwalking, be very, very good. The point is this, you can have a wrong attitude or a right attitude to your body. What's the wrong attitude? The wrong attitude is neglected, the wrong attitude is rejected. God, I'm on a different one. The wrong attitude is perfected. That's the bodybuilders who are narcissistic, and you know they worship their body and they build all these muscles as if the body is the most important thing in life. Now, you don't worship your body, You don't neglect it, you don't reject it, you don't perfect it. What do you do? You respect it and you protect it. That's what God wants you to do with your body. Why because God created it, Jesus paid for it, and the Holy Spirit lives in it. So what's our motivation? Look at the next verse one Corinthians nine. Read it with me. Athletes practice discipline and self control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away. But we do it for an eternal prize. Our motivation is we want to please God in an eternity. You will be rewarded because you made the most of what you were given, he said. Athletes get you know, they get in shape just to win an award, he said, but this is going to be an eternal award. If you get in shape so that God could use you more effectively. Now here's the third step. If you want to be used by God. Simplify my life. I purify my heart, I sanctify my body, and I simplify my life so I have more time to be used by God. You know, the Bible compares life to a marathon race, and in Hebrews Paul says this Hebrews twelve. We should remove anything from our lives that would get in the way and hold us back. He says, just as you're running a race of life, let go of anything that holds you back. Now I know this one from personal experience. If the devil can't make you bad, he'll make you busy. Okay, if he can't make you bad, he'll make you busy, and he'll get you so busy you don't have time for the important stuff. It's good things, they're all really good things. But you don't have time for God, for time alone with God, for ministry, for mission, things like that. So Paul says, simplify your life. Get rid of the excess baggage. Don't try to do it all, do what matters most. You have just enough time to do God's will. That means if you don't, you can't get everything done. It means there are things on that list God ever intended for you to do in the first place. Serious runner's focus, now, friends, I have met thousands of people who have told me they want to be used by God. But they never will. They'll never be used by God. Why they're too busy. They're too busy. They've got their own agenda going, They've got their own things going, they've got their own plans and dreams and ambitions going, and they don't have any time. And they try to carve out a little sliver in the pie of life, say oh, I'll give this to God. It doesn't work that way. If you're serious about being used by God, you have to say, Lord, what do I need to let go of? What I need to cut out what are the barriers that are holding me back, that are keeping me from running the race you out for me? Now, there are lots of different barriers that hold you back from God's plan for your life. Then let me give you two real common ones. You can write these down. The first one is distractions. Distractions. Jesus said this in Luke six. Anybody who lets himself be distracted from the work that I plan for him is not fit for the Kingdom of heaven. He says. Don't let yourself be distracted. Now, what could distract you from your life mission? Oh, a lot of things. The expectations of other people. You're trying to please everybody else's to try to please God. You can't do that. You got to decide am I going to please God with my life? Or am I going to please my boyfriend or my girlfriend, or my boss or whatever. You've got to decide who you're going to please first. In life, you can only have one number one, and the expectations of others, the opinions of others. Trying to be like other people can be a distraction. Television can be a distraction. Hobbies can be distraction. There's nothing wrong with these things. They're good things, but they can distract you. Addictions, the wrong kind of friends can distract you. There may be some friends that you say, you know what, you're just letting me. I'm not talking about a good friendship, talking about you know, negative one. To finish the race, you gotta let go.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what is the biggest distraction for most people. Your past, your past. Some of you refuse to let go of your past, and you keep holding on to it, either guilt things that I've done to others or resentment things that others have done to me. And you won't let go of the guilt or the grudges or the grief. And as a result, you are stuck in the past and you cannot get on with the present, and you can't certainly get on to God's future vision for you. If you're stuck in the past, you need to let it go. Let it go. Your past is past, it's over. You got to let it go so you can get on with the future. Stop rehearsing the past, release it, release it, and let it go. Distractions will keep you. Notice this next verse two Timothy twenty four as Christ's soldiers, don't let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life circle that phrase tied up. Some of you are all tied up in nuts by the affairs of this life. For then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army, if you are enlisted in the service. And by the way, they don't call it the service for nothing, it's to serve. If you've been listed in the service, you don't get involved in civilian affairs because you've got to please your commanding officer. And if you said to God, whatever it takes, God, I want to be yours, then you can't get tied up and a lot of other things. So what do you need to let go of? Look at this verse up here on the screen. The Bible says in First Corinthians ten, everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. What does that mean? Everything is permissible but not everything's beneficial. It means this a lot of things aren't necessarily wrong, just not necessary. They're not necessarily wrong, they're not evil, they're just not necessary. Now let me give you the greatest time management tip you'll ever get. This is the greatest time management tip. It's a two letter word.
Speaker 1: No thank you so much for listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. We've got some incredible news to share with you. A very generous friend has given a one hundred thousand dollars matching grant to this ministry. That means that all this month, every dollar you give to help Daily Hope share the certain Hope of Jesus around the world will be matched up to one hundred thousand dollars. Here's Pastor Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: I know I tell you this all the time, but again I want you to know how much I thank God for you and appreciate your support of Daily Hope. We couldn't do this without your prayers, and we can't do it without your financial gifts. And I know that for many of you this is a real sacrifice in order to be able to support the Ministry of Daily Hope as we take the message of Christ literally around the world into places that nobody else is going to. As you consider your year in giving, I want to ask you to consider about sending your greatest gift to Daily Hope that you've ever given. You know, the great news is that in this month your financial gift will be doubled because a generous Friend is offering one hundred thousand dollars matching grant, and they've challenged all of the rest of us to give as much as we can and they will match it up to one hundred thousand dollars. That means that every dollar you give to Daily Hope in December, up to one hundred thousand dollars will be doubled. Do you give twenty five dollars, it's like given fifty dollars, and if you give one hundred dollars, it's like giving two hundred dollars. Able to give a thousand dollars or more, it will be doubled. Your generosity, and of course Christmas is all about the spirit of generosity. God so loved the world that he gave. Your generosity makes this ministry possible. It allows us to reach into refugee camps, It allows us to reach out around the world overseas. It allows us to reach people who could not ever afford to pay for any discipleship tools or materials. So your donations matter. Let me ask you a personal favor. Don't forget to pray for us during this season we're praying for you. Let me know that you prayed. It really blesses me to hear from you. I love the letters, the emails, the cards, the stories that come in because it helps me realize we truly are partnering together in this ministry. It's not about me. It's about the Word of God, and it's about what we can do together that none of us could do on our own. We are more effective together, we're better together. Thanks for listening today, everybody, and join me next time as we continue to look into God's word for our daily hope. God bless you and have a great Christmas season.
Speaker 1: Remember, as Rick just shared, whatever you give today will be doubled by the matching grant up to one hundred thousand dollars, but only till midnight December thirty first. Anything not matched will be lost, So please contact us today. You can give right now by going to Pastorrick dot com or by calling eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. We'll say thanks by sending you the brand new Daily Hope Prayer Journal that's Pastorrick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support,