Speaker 1: You were listening to episode sixty one of GameSpot After Dark. On this week's episode, we talk about Genschen impact, cyberpunk Crunch, and Peter Parker's face. Hello and welcome to episode sixty one of GameSpot After Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James Hi to more Hussein, Hello that, and Jean Luke Sipeke.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: This is the first episode we've done in a while where we haven't had a guest, so this is just the core crew for the most part. Kelly's got another podcast after She's going to be on the on Jared Petties like, oh the one countdown, So she's taken a break this week to I don't know, save her podcasting voice. I guess you could say that to make sure to check that out. But anyway, this week, what have we all been playing? Did you want to start?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So, I I had a little meltdown in slack when I was trying to remember what I've actually done this week. I did play a bit of Mafia on Sunday morning. Forgot about that.
Speaker 5: What do you think I.
Speaker 4: Never played it originally? I was digging it, honestly, it's quite a chill game. I was very encouraged. You said last week that it was relatively short. I just enjoyed driving around basically. But the main thing that I've been enjoying this week is the Great British Bakeoff is back. I'm not calling it that shite American name that you have to call it because of Pillsbury or whatever. It is Great Britain.
Speaker 2: The American name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's the shite American name?
Speaker 4: The Great British Baking Show?
Speaker 5: Oh, you just said it.
Speaker 4: I know I just said it, But I won't refer to it when I in my in my review quote unquote, I won't be referring to it as a bakeoff. So this, like, I know, I think I've talked about it in the pot cast maybe last year, but like, Bakeoff is one of those wholesome shows that just instantly cheers me up, and I'm so glad they're all on Netflix here. I am one of those people who I'll watch Bakeoff, but I never get the urge to bake. I will just buy my baked goods. I don't need to go through all that stress about soaky bottoms and watching the oven don't need it, but we were watching it on Friday. There's a small group of us watching it, and it's just a very wholesome show. And usually you can tell who you're gonna hate immediately when you watch it, but this season is kind of magical because I didn't hate any of them. Also, in terms of like bake off, there was so much drama in the first episode someone accidentally knocked over someone else's plate of cakes just at the technical as well, and then the show stopper at the end, so that's like they get a brief, they get time to practice. It was maybe one of the weirdest briefs ever seen. It was make a cake of someone who you're inspired by, and if you go online and look at something they.
Speaker 6: Are specifically, it's a bust. It's a bust cake of them.
Speaker 4: I mean there was David Bowie just looked I don't know, sad, squashed like and the thing is as well, it's like very wholesome. Everyone's laughing and I'm not critiquing because I know for sure that I couldn't do it. David Bowie just looked so sad. I thought Freddie Mercury looked actually really good. Because he was way more stylized, or like most of them tried to do more realistic takes didn't really pan out. But I think my favorite one had to be Tomm de Along from Link on It two and it looked like you know that music video for Sledgehammer where he's all made of wax and it's all I'm moving around. It reminded me of that, and it was it's such a good show. I'm so glad at his back.
Speaker 6: That Tom DeLong cake is genuinely horrifying. It's ah, who would you make.
Speaker 2: A cake of? If you had what celebrity would you pick?
Speaker 1: The first thing that came to my mind was you know that Gerald busts where he's like playing.
Speaker 5: Gwent and it's just like that.
Speaker 1: That's probably what I do. It would look terrible, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.
Speaker 4: Ah, who would I make? Might make? I mean, I can't, I can't do David Bowie. Oh it annoyed me. I got like very push glasses up nose because they said, oh, yeah, we're making Ziggy Stardust. But actually it was a Laddin insane.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: The lightning bolt across his face so that one's already gone, but like you could do David Bowie and maybe his life on.
Speaker 3: Mars Labyrinth or Labyrinth all the Hair.
Speaker 4: No I would do Nikola Tesla from The Prestige, David Boy's greatest role Tesla. You can't do that accent for ship Kenny, but no. I mean, like Bacop's back is Fantastics on Netflix every Friday.
Speaker 5: M h nice.
Speaker 6: It's really fun enjoyable to watch the bit where the old cake knocking incident came. It was so good, like spoilers for it, but like it's a lady called Sura and she's like adjusting or she's trying to like shoe a fly away.
Speaker 2: From a case.
Speaker 4: She's already an early favorite by the way, because she walks her cat around like a dog.
Speaker 6: She like recoiled after like flicking this fly away and someone was walking up just behind her and like knocked the entire tree down, and then she was devastated. And then she went on to win that challenge. So everyone was like praising her and being like.
Speaker 7: You're so good, well, don this is amazing, and she's like she's like on the verge of tears because she's just like ruined someone else's but like they chilled and it was all nice after that.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's never gonna be bin gate because bin Gate had repercussions that went out into the media. It was literally front page news.
Speaker 6: You should explain bin gatepinate and I didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So bin gate they were making. Was it a baked Alaska? It was something with ice cream? Anyway, there was this one guy, Oh, and he had his ice cream in the freezer, but I think he'd put it in someone else's freezer. So the woman whose freezer he'd put it in took it out and just left it on the side. So obviously it all melted. But like he kind of went, why didn't you tell me? Like why would you just leave it on the side? Obviously kind of sabotage. But instead of him, you know, trying to work around it and explain to the judges, he just took it and just chucked it in the bin. And then it became bin gate because it was like did she do it on purpose? Avatage? Here? Was it actually a mistake? Her name was Diana And then she actually ended up leaving the competition a couple of weeks later, like she didn't get voted out. She left I think because of external pressures.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a big thing.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a lot of drama in a show that doesn't have a lot of drama, right.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is the enjoy it.
Speaker 6: If you're watching it probably worth doing. Not that they need a shout out. If anyone doesn't need the shout out. It's the McElroy family. But they have a They have a companion podcast called Bacon, which is very good and it's back as well.
Speaker 5: Of course they have a podcast for it. They've got podcast.
Speaker 1: Travis.
Speaker 4: It's just Travis.
Speaker 2: It's not the Yeah, it's not the entire Yeah, it's not the entire.
Speaker 1: Still though, between the three of them, like every time I listened to my brother, my brother and me, there's ads for other their other fans only podcast.
Speaker 2: It's a dynasty.
Speaker 5: I know it, truly is.
Speaker 2: They're the rock a fellow of podcasts.
Speaker 8: I'd say, So it isn't today National Podcasting Day or something. I was seeing that on Twitter.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 5: That's why we're doing it on a Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Oh of course, yes, I thought this, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow. What have you been up to?
Speaker 6: So I've been playing a game called hades Haiti's Nuts, which is I know you guys talked about it last week, but phenomenal game, excellent, having a lot of fun with it. I think I'm doing pretty well at it, Like I haven't done that many runs, but I get really far each time.
Speaker 2: Like I was listening to another podcast I can't remember which one.
Speaker 6: It was like, and they were like, oh, yeah, if you get to like Elysium within like twenty runs, you're doing really well. I think I got to Elysium on like my third or four off run, and like, I think I got really lucky with my setup. I love the Shield because it's got that distant spam thing and if you like put like a Zeus's boon on it and it electrocutes everyone, and then you add a few other modifiers onto it, it's incredibly powerful. So I've been doing really lame tactics because it's fun to do that, like just using the kind of projectile part of the shield. The Captain America part of using it and keeping people at distance and crowd controlling and then getting in doing a few strikes and getting out very like Dark Souls style style of prey.
Speaker 2: And you're playing pretty much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like Meg, I beat on my first try because of dark souls, Like I very quickly realize that you can get three strikes in before she charges her like void blade move that as it like it envelops the area.
Speaker 2: So I was like in.
Speaker 6: Three strikes out to two dashes and then it would take her when she started dashing. All I had to do was move one dash back and it would put me in perfect position to do like a dashing strike, which did extra damage. And like I just mopped the floor with her. Yeah, and I did the same with like the Love Life and Boss as well. I was just like these boss it feels kind of easy, which sounds like a weird flex, But I haven't really had any trouble with that game.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: I think the great thing about Meg though, is that Meg is pretty easy. But I always mess up on her because I I just think like, oh, this is easy, and I get overconfident and I stop dodging correctly and then I die and I'm like, I just I just beat her, Well, why did I die again? And it's because the game is being like, yo, you still gotta respect this this boss just because just because it's easy doesn't mean you can't sleep on the job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And like the the actual narrative stuff that the way it unfolds as you keep coming back, and even meg recognizing the way that you're you're coming back and if you change your loadouts you'll respond to it, and that kind of stuff. It's just a fantastically well created game. I mean, like people have been heaping praise upon it already, so I don't really have much to add in that way, but I think probably one of the biggest or the most exemplary ways to treat an early access experience I've ever seen, like that Dead Cells is one of them. Like, I feel like Dead Cells they did really good with that. They were very open and very clear about the things that we're doing. But it feels like Super Giant went one step further on it, and like they were super communicative. They had in game timers to make sure, you know, counting down to the next content update and that kind of business. And it's been really really interesting to see it come together and be as good as it is. You know, Danny did his no clip documentary kind of charting the process. So like, if you're enjoying it, it's worth checking that stuff out because it is really really fascinating. So just unsurprising that Super Giant has put out an absolute banger of a game.
Speaker 2: Again, you love to see it.
Speaker 6: So I played that, and then I checked out a game called Genshen Impact, which is a very strange for the weave.
Speaker 5: It is very long, it is it is.
Speaker 6: Intensely anime from the outset to the point where like it's it's the kind of anime that I'm not super into, like cute, cute, like lots of cute little characters, high pitched voice girls, and and like it's very much like I'm not into that as much.
Speaker 2: I find it quite greating after a while.
Speaker 6: But it's a fascinating game because it's like it's a mishmash of so many different games and it seems to work. It's free, first of all, on on most platforms PS four, I think it's on Xbox One, PC and mobile, and it's a fully realized open world JRPG that has like Gatcha mechanics that allow you to unlock new characters to add to your party. But it feels and looks a lot like Breath of the World in that you have this massive really vibrant world that you can explore at your own pace, and you've got a lot of climbing and that kind of stuff, and the RPG it he teaches you how to cook in the same way. And then on top of that, it feels like Dragon Quest where it's like the open kingdom that you can go and speak to and everyone's got like a little bit of character to them that you that you speak to. Like, I met this kid early on and I put like a couple of pictures of him up. His name's Timmy, and he was just like he was just standing on by the side of the road and he was like pigeons in front of him, and I ran towards him and the pigeons flew away, and he was like, hey, you made the pigeons fly away. And I was like, oh, sorry, my bad, I don't mean to do that, and he goes, it's fine, but sometimes I'm worry they'll never come back, just like daddy.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what, out of curiosity, how's the so you mentioned there are Gosha mechanics micro transaction.
Speaker 5: Have you had to do any of that?
Speaker 1: Because I noticed someone in the discord server was saying that they'd played a couple hours and hadn't seen any of that stuff.
Speaker 6: Like I the only reason I know it's there is because I had to look it up, and that is what I found. I've not actually encountered it any in any way yet. I'm like maybe three or four hours in because I've been I think you get to like the main first kingdom about two hours in or so less than maybe that, like an hour, but like I've been running around and just like exploring and figuring things out, but it's not shoved it in my face. The only way I realized that it's there is one I searched it to. I went on PlayStation Store and tried to see how it's monetizing the game, and this there's a currency that you can buy. But it hasn't prompted me to spend the money or anything like that. It's shown me like areas where clearly you could do it, Like it's like, hey, go to this screen. This is the outfit screen where you can change characters visual style. You know, there's like a character roster screen which is like really big and your character's like two characters right in the corner like really small icons say like oh, clearly it's going to fill this entire screen with loads of people, and you can like switch between characters on the fly.
Speaker 2: They're like map to the dpad.
Speaker 6: And the two characters I have is one is the main character I picked, is the boy, and he's kind of like link ish where he's got a sword and also has the ability to like do certain magic. And the other one like you tap right on the dpad and you become this archer girl who's also it's not like palette swaps.
Speaker 2: They're all part of the story.
Speaker 6: Like the archer girl is like the one works for like the the god in in the local kingdom, and like you can use her for distance attacks and that kind of stuff. And there's like a weird story on follow. So it feels like Dragon Quest. It feels like a breath of the world. It feels a bit final, fancy ish, and it's it also seems like a fully fledged thing, like not like a you know, a tone down in terms of like production value. It's got good music, it's got impressive, like cool visuals. It's trying to do a lot with it that the actual world mapp massive. I've not explored even a fraction of it. And there's loads of kingdoms and stuff like that. It seems like towns and people to talk to. Everyone has got something different to say, and you can also have conversations with a lot of them instead of just hairing a bit of dialogue and then moving on. So I don't know if it's going to be any good, but I'm just intrigued at this game that has kind of come out of nowhere. It is free, and it's like an amalgamation of various other good games but somehow still makes.
Speaker 2: It work for itself.
Speaker 6: It's like easy to play because it has literally costs you literally nothing, So I would recommend, like, if you're in the mood for an RPG j RPG, it's free, download it, play it. It's worth taking a punt at.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I haven't downloaded it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I will, but I was like waiting on Twitter for people to be like, oh, it's actually like only two hours a game play and then you have to pay for this, you have to pay for that, or they're still developing parts of it. But I've actually been kind of intrigued because based on the conversation, it seems like that's not really the case.
Speaker 5: So at least like that.
Speaker 6: When I tweeted about it, I had like people were replying and saying like what game is this? And then other people would jump in and be like, oh, this is gains an impact, and a lot of people are like, yeah, I'm twenty five hours in and I haven't paid a single penny, and like it's not asking me to do that. So I really do wonder how they how they kind of made it work, and and I think they're trying to do that thing where it's like just make the thing compelling and hope that people like it enough to to kind of play it and and and spend money on it. I want to what is the name of the development team. It's got a really funny name. It's like it's going to annoy me now, but it's it's like Futuristic Game Developer Team or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's like, really, well.
Speaker 5: It sounds like a trick, Like it doesn't seem like.
Speaker 6: It's it looks like when you when you look at the actual developer and the name and everything, it looks like one of those RPGs that is advertised to.
Speaker 2: You on like Instagram ads. Yeah, like a scam.
Speaker 6: And then you start playing it and you're like, no, this is actually it's actually quite legit, and you know, not to talk about those games, but most of them do suck, but like this, this feels legit and it feels like really really cool and interesting. I definitely want to check out more of it. The deem the developers called me me hoyo mejo yo. Yeah, but they have got uh okay mejo yo, the Otaku Saved the World.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a company good for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's I think that might be the publisher more than the developer.
Speaker 2: The developers got I'm gonna.
Speaker 6: Check me me ho yo because it connects to like a central server and it's like, hey, we're gonna we're gonna connect your person account to the central server because we want you to. It's got multiplayer and stuff as well. I've not actually tried it, but it's definitely got that. But like they are like a well known developer or so, they've got loads of like games. I think of the of the similar ILK, but I think they are the publisher because there's a certain other games that are listed under Otaku Saved the World as the company. So I think that's my favorite game developer Name of the Year, Saved the World.
Speaker 4: I just like the really boring ones like Blizzard team.
Speaker 2: Fo yeah R and D Unit one.
Speaker 8: Oh, what's the foul Fantasy seven sixteen name?
Speaker 3: It was something real?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's like I forgot what was it called. It's gone.
Speaker 6: It's gone, but yeah, it's it's it's worth taking upon on like it's it's literally they're free, so you've got nothing to lose. I will say up front, it hits you with like extreme anime bullshit where like you are too cute sa the characters fighting an evil looking lady and she's like talking about humanity needs to change, and like my eyes glazed over almost instantly, and then like once it starts kicking off, I like snap back into it.
Speaker 2: And it was fun.
Speaker 6: It's got it's slightly rough around the edges, but it's fine.
Speaker 8: Creative Business Unit three, that's the one that's my favorite game developer.
Speaker 6: My ones are also like, excuse me, the ones where it's like the game is or the team is named after the game that they're known for, so you gotta go talk with studios Ninja Ninja and that kind of stuff, like very close to the I'd love it if rock Steady renamed like Team Batman or something like that.
Speaker 1: Or like the Coalition, right, like I guess it's not yeah, but still three industries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I'm curious if the Coalition, like ever doesn't make a Gears game and then it's why are you?
Speaker 5: Name doesn't really fit anymore? But Jean Luke, what about you?
Speaker 8: I've also been playing Mencient Impact. I don't really much to add outside of what Tam said other than I'm intrigued so far. I also am pretty like wary of like I think the voice acting is kind of whatever, like the high pitched like stuff does not work for me at all. If my girlfriends into it though, so she's enjoying it, so I'm like, Okay.
Speaker 6: I changed the voice to Japanese because I was like it would be better at Japanese.
Speaker 2: It's way well, it's even it's like extreme, and I was like no.
Speaker 9: No, yesout to like oh my god, You're like, oh please relax, and then you have to like read at the same time, if you're not like super familiar with what they're saying, just stick with the English one.
Speaker 3: What about Chinese because it is a Chinese studio.
Speaker 2: I didn't. Yeah, I didn't try I didn't try that one. Maybe that's maybe that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think the only thing I'm wary of is I combat's kind of not really doing it for me. It's like it's very so the combats like very elemental based, which is cool because the idea of you picking your different characters is that you're you know, like, oh, okay, these enemies have water, so I should switch to one of my characters that has lightning and then use lightning.
Speaker 3: Attacks, so like that's Pokemon.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and like that stuff feels good, like in terms of like like on paper, but something about the actual feel of the attacks doesn't really hit for me. Like they feel kind of stiff, and I feel like I'm just kind of wailing on them sometimes, Like I feel like enemies have like really large health bars. So I don't know how like satisfying I find the combat to feel.
Speaker 6: I kind of feel like you might develop as you get more characters, I think. So I think the lack of satisfy I agree with you. I don't think you're satisfying, but I think they might try and make up for it with like interesting mobs. It does that thing where the first thing you do is literally go into an encampment that looks like the first Barcobblian encampment from Breath of the World, and like it.
Speaker 2: Teaches you how to shoot fire.
Speaker 6: So I'm hoping once we get more characters, it's like switching between them and what they want.
Speaker 3: You to do totally, and they do.
Speaker 8: I did mess with that a little bit because there is like a screen where you can like see like what characters are available for the day, and they let you try them out in like a little combat challenge, so you do get to actually like see if you like that character before you you put down the money on them, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Is there a way to unlock these characters without spending money like just a lot of grinding izers.
Speaker 3: I think so because because the.
Speaker 8: Currency you need, I believe you can get that currency on your own. Like I when I tried to buy I like to see how I would buy one. It made me go like three currencies deep where it's like, Okay, you don't have this one currency you can buy. You can get that currency for three hundred of these currencies, but you're one hundred and sixty shorts, so you'll need to then spend the real money currency to get that currency. I'm like, and I was like, Okay, well, I'm not gonna buy any of this right now, but it does seem like you can actually get characters through grinding the game.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 1: I will say, just developers, please give us two currencies tops one end game one micro transactions if there needs to be.
Speaker 5: We don't need anything more. For the love of God, please agreed.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 8: So other than that, I I finished Tell Me Why, which I had played the first episode back last when I was on the podcast, I think two weeks ago or something like that. Right, I finished the other two episodes. I really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it if no one's had a chance to check it out. It's really good.
Speaker 3: I it didn't. It didn't. It was like I didn't quite.
Speaker 8: Get there to like this is my new favorite, like of like the dope nod like kind of like you know Telltale style games, Like it got really close. I think there were just like a couple about getting into like spoilers, I guess like there were a couple story beats that like didn't quite pan out the way I wanted to or like more like the the execution, like like you A lot of the games about like confronting characters about like stuff that's happened in the past, and like the way those confrontations happened didn't feel as satisfying to me.
Speaker 3: As they could have.
Speaker 8: But overall, I really really liked that game, and I think it's got some amazing characters. Shout out to my more my boy Michael, not r Michael, but Michael in the game. Michael, who's this wonderful, wonderful gay lad that you can you can share a nice ice fishing moment with And it's beautiful and I love it. So, uh, really really liked that game. I highly recommend it. I still don't hear enough people talk about it, so I want to do it justice and say, if that is your kind of game, you should check it out.
Speaker 5: It's free on game Pass. Well you know, it is free as it can be on game pass, right.
Speaker 3: It is on game Pass. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I forgot playing Rambo six Seach as well recently.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that is a funny experience. I'm playing on PC now, so oh, actually I can actually shoot stuff and kill it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're doing pretty well then, Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my count strike muscles are kind of like limbering up again.
Speaker 2: It feels good.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the game test, though, it seems like you've been playing something else on game Pass to gen Luke.
Speaker 8: Oh, yeah, I started playing or the New Ri because I just like that one passed me by. I don't even remember when it came out. I feel like this year has been such a really man wow rating.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: I actually started playing it literally this week too.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: So it's weird that you put this down.
Speaker 1: I almost put it down, but I was, like, I haven't played enough of this game to talk much about it.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I've only put it in a couple hours, and so far it's very much like more Or from what I remember the first game. But like, I mean, god, damn, it is beautiful.
Speaker 3: Uh the music, So the music is so good.
Speaker 8: It feels so good, like like just like the fluidity of like movement of like you know, like doing your like double jumps and like bouncing back and forth, and like the combat. It all feels so phenomenal. Like even though right now where I'm at still is very much like just more Ory like more Ri's just like phenomenal. So I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 3: So far the.
Speaker 1: First one, if I remember correctly, right, your combat was done through this little orb thing right that would fly around you. I think, so this one's got the sword. I forget what it's called, but that is a change that I like a lot, unless I'm thinking of a different game. But it just feels so much more tactile. I remember that really throwing me off when I played the first one.
Speaker 5: It just it didn't feel right.
Speaker 8: I think you're right, and this one, actually, I there are other weapons you can get that's really fun. So like I replaced my sword with like a giant hammer where it's just got this really long swing but you'll take out like half an enemy's health in one hit. And it's like really really satisfying to just like jump in the air and like time it perfectly and just hit this bug and they go like flying and then they'll hit like an environmental spike and it's like I want to buy all the other weapons now, like see how they mix it up, because it just like everything feels really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I've only played a couple hours too, and I I'm super impressed with that. I'm bummed it missed it, like it kind of passed me by, but I remember not enjoying the first one all that much, so it wasn't really high on my list, and I think it was because of that combat thing. But to be fair, I only played a little bit of the first one.
Speaker 5: Maybe it does open up.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm just you know, I was just stubborn and only saw the very beginning and didn't test anything out. But yeah, will this seems really good, Like I was saying earlier, the music is excellent too. But mostly what I've been doing is I'm playing Spalunkie too. I want to play Hades. I really want to play Hades, but I can't. I like, I start Hades, and I'm like, man, I kind of just want to do a Spelunky run.
Speaker 5: So I turn on Spelunkie.
Speaker 1: And do a couple runs that turn into you know, a couple dozen runs, and then next thing I know, I've been playing for hours and I need to stop.
Speaker 5: It's so good, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's Yeah, I'm sure it seems like that's how most people are with Hades, and I'm sure i'd be that way too if if I don't know, I don't know why my brain decided Spelunky over Haites, but for some reason, that's what happened, and.
Speaker 5: That's like all I've been doing.
Speaker 1: I did get a chance to play Call of Duty season six, though I didn't play the multiplayer or I didn't play the like standard multiplayer. I only played what's it called war Zone And when they added those like they added basically a public.
Speaker 5: Transit system around the map. Yeah, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I didn't get to spend much time down there because I died a.
Speaker 5: Lot, but I don't know it's still war Zone.
Speaker 1: I like that they're adding these I don't know. I don't know they're keeping the map fresh in cool ways. And I know, you know, if you play Fortnite, it's probably not that surprising to you, But as someone who completely missed Fortnite, didn't play it at all, and played a lot of PUBG to me, it still feels kind of novel to see the map evolving in all the ways it does. That being said, like, I don't know, it's still battle Royale. I can only do a couple of rounds and then I'm done because I'm Battle Royaled out.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, oh yeah, no, I.
Speaker 4: Mean it wasn't I like a lot, but I have to be in a very specific frame of mind for it, because I'm not very and it can be super discouraging. So I don't know, give me a Watchman.
Speaker 5: Win I bring it to the next gen, right, that would be the one. Uh well, anyway, I.
Speaker 1: Think that that covers what we've been playing. So move on to the topics. All right, first big topic this.
Speaker 5: Week is cyberpunk Crunch, and no, that is not a serial. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I thought that joke and I was like, I'm going to say that stole it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna put it on like our social thumbnail, but I was like, I don't know if that's the best joke to make just on Twitter.
Speaker 5: I feel like people.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't give me eyepatch and hirate hat.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got to leave at least a day before you start making light of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but anyway.
Speaker 1: The story came from a Bloomberg article in CD project read enforces a six day work week leading up until launch.
Speaker 5: Lucy, do you want to read the quote?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So, Adam Badowski tweet out, these last six weeks are our final sprint on a project. We've all spent much of our lives on something we care for deeply. The majority of the team understands that push, especially in light of the fact that we've just sent the game to seart and every day brings us visibly closer to shipping a game we want to be proud of. This is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, but everyone is well compensated for every hour they put in, and like in recent years, ten percent of the annual profit our company generates in twenty twenty will be split directly among the team. Ooh, I you know what, the first time Cyberpunk Moved, I was like, I don't think that game's coming this year. Like, honestly, I just it just feels like such a huge, ambitious game that I was genuinely, genuinely thought it would be pushed to next year. So I'm not saying that I could see this coming, but it's like, I don't know, you could kind of see it, But also like the challenges with working from home obviously, but it's not ideal and I'm while I'm glad the studio is compensating, like I don't know, the minetary compensation is not the same as your health and stress and all that stuff, and So that's the kind of stuff that I really would like to get more clarification on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the thing is like the whole point, the thing that makes this a difficult conversation or the thing that makes this more of a if it regardless, any sort of crunch practice is news because people want to report it and people want to shine a light on it. But what makes this one extra, like sting, a little extra, is that they specifically took the time before to say that we're going to avoid this, and they made a big deal of saying that they're already working, they're already committing to the idea that they won't be crunched on this because they never addressed it back in the day. But the Witcher three was a project that they crunched on pretty hard to get it to where it needed to be, and the results of that are obvious one of the best games ever created. But in light of that, they did interviews I think it was Shreyer, and they said, like, when we're already committed to this not happening, we're going to make sure that it's you know, do we're going to you know, we're going to have that healthy work life balance and people aren't like in that crunch period. And then the time since, especially this year, they've started to they started to like ease off on that and started to talk about, you know, sometimes is unavoidable. I don't think it's the the idea. I think the idea of them saying we're going to pay everyone is fine. You know, that's required by Polish law, like labor laws in Poland require you to pay people for overtime. So it's not like they're doing anything major there. They're doing the baseline where they pay the people for working the extra time. I think the bigger issue is like it sets it sends the message that creating a game, or it perpetuates the idea that games cannot be created to completion without crunch. Because we have the studio who's making this huge game, it's said by all intentsive purposes that it's going to avoid crunch. And after having said that, it's still ended up in a period where there is crunch, and there has been according to reports for a sig a con period of time, like people have been crunching for a year, perhaps even longer. And the message that sends is to people is like you can't make a game without this crunch period, which isn't the case. There are people and there are developers that manage to do it without crunch, and perhaps the scale of the game is different, the demands on them are different. But I think this should be the reason why people are so up in arms and like very vocal about this being a negative thing. Is it needs to be driven into developers and publishers that they need to factor into their release dates and their kind of timelines, that the game needs to be made without resorting to this kind of culture, because you know, crunch isn't like, oh, we're going to make you work an extra day. It's a sustained lifestyle where you're forced to think and behave in ways that, over a prolonged period will degrade you, regardless of how much you're getting paid on a day to day basis for that work. I think that's the reason why people are upset about it. It's the idea that it's it feels, it's the it's the preposition that games being made in this way are impossible without that intense crunch period at the end, which I think shining a spotlight on it in this way and pointing out the hypocrisy of saying you're not going to do it and then doing it is a step in trying to resolve or at least get improve the situation around a little better. Again, like from the from the for their part, it seems like they have made an attempt at avoiding it and the game got delayed what twice, and so it's clear that they tried to make it, you know, make the game and get completed without resorting to it, and ultimately it ended up this way.
Speaker 2: But that's not that's not that's not a.
Speaker 6: Way to excuse it. You can't excuse it because of that. If your ambitions are to create the greatest game of all time, that it's like massive cyberpunk RPG, keep in mind that the people are still there making it and that you need to make sure that you're not killing them and burning them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, do you think that, you know, do you think part of this could be because of the coronavirus people are working from home? Like obviously that's going to make things a lot more difficult.
Speaker 5: Maybe they maybe.
Speaker 1: The reason they delayed it was to not have crunch, you know, But they're at this point where like they can't delay it again right, like like the like, I'd rather have them delay it than have the game out now, but fans would.
Speaker 5: Be up in arms.
Speaker 1: They'd be super mad because they've been waiting for this game for so long.
Speaker 5: It was supposed to.
Speaker 1: Come out, you know, way back in April, which to me sounds absurd now even thinking about it, right, like the fact that they thought they'd hit April seems kind of ridiculous. And even having played it, what back in.
Speaker 5: When did we play it some more June July?
Speaker 1: It was it was so buggy, Like I obviously very excited for that game, but I remember playing that and being like, oh, there is a lot of work that still needs to be done and I and I think they ended up delaying it. That was around the time they delayed it, which made sense because I was like, yeah, probably needs that extra time. Uh, but like I don't know, Yeah, it's so tricky. It's a it's a bummer that they've they've done this though, because like you're saying, after they said that, hey, we aren't gonna do this, we are going to try our best to avoid this, and then ultimately it came down to them asking their people to work, you know, an extra day every week. I feel like that just sets a bad precedent and like empowers other studios who who also engage in that practice and don't live in places like Poland where they are required by law to pay people, you know, Like I yeah, it's just like they could have been that like shining example to the to the rest of the industry of like this is how you can do it, and like they unfortunately were not.
Speaker 3: Able to do that, and like that really sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's difficult too, right because you hear about like you Besoft as of late apparently has been doing pretty well about not enforcing crunch on their workers, at least.
Speaker 5: Based on what I've heard.
Speaker 1: Uh, I was gonna say something spicy, you can say it.
Speaker 6: But myself has been doing other things that require exactly it's been doing.
Speaker 4: Some other thing doing for a change.
Speaker 1: But you know, they haven't been enforcing crunch this much, at least as far as we know. And a lot of their games do come out buggy and messy, and they just get like lambasted by the public and fans and whatnot because their games are buggy, and like you kind of have to sit back and think, like you know, maybe these games have issues. Maybe the issues arise because they're not crunching, they're they're they're staff members to get this done. But then you know, you've got CD, Project Red or rock Star for example. That's that gets praised for these like very polished. I don't know if i'd call the Witch are three very polished came out, But you know what I'm trying to say, games, Yeah, these huge games that are like polished as much as they can be in that situation. But it's like, Okay, yeah, that's good, but to get there, there was most likely a lot of crunch involved.
Speaker 8: I feel like that that does create this weird like uh.
Speaker 3: Falsehood of like it.
Speaker 8: That's like the the binary add like way it can work is like either we crunch and the game comes out good, or we don't crunch it comes out buggy. And I feel like there just maybe needs to be like larger structural changes and the way games are like developed, or like the way games are are managed. Like I think there's just so many other and I'm not a game a developer, so don't I don't know the inner workings of games. I know every game.
Speaker 3: Developer does it differently.
Speaker 8: But I think like there there's there's definitely got to be like other things you can look at and the way these studios are developing games that can like you know, create a better working environment, but also not have your game be out in a buggy mess like, I don't think it needs to be this binary thing that I think some people kind of like think of it as agreed.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: The next big thing, which also caused some, god, I don't know, some negative reactions was that Peter Parker's face looks different in this Spider Man PUS remaster, which is kind of a weird story. I've seen a lot of people be like you, oh, it's cause they're trying to make them look like Marvel's Spider Man or Disney's Marvel spider Man, not Sony's Spider Man from like the Andrew Garfield Spider Man.
Speaker 5: But I think it's just because they wanted to make something that looked more like Uri Loenthal, the voice actor.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a tech thing. So the way they explained it was.
Speaker 8: Basically too because of motion capture, you have to have your face model like somewhat like match the facial structure of whoever's doing the mocap so that they can like get better mocap. And I guess the new tech they've been introducing for like Miles Morales and the other Spider Man games, the old face model like just was not up to par with Uri Lowenthal's uh like mo caap. So it's just I guess it didn't work right, and so they were like, Yep, we got to kind of get a new face model that like matched your Lowenthal's bone structure better, essentially is what they were saying.
Speaker 1: But like, well, why change it in the PUS five version because it's the same game, right, They're not using new tech game maybe just to test it out. It just seems kind of strange.
Speaker 8: I mean, presumably he'll show up in Miles Morales and you'll probably have that new face, and maybe they wanted to like sink the two up and kind of.
Speaker 3: Like re establish the whole thing. I get it. It's I prefer the old Peter's face.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna lie, but like I totally understand it from like a technical standpoint, like he just looks a little bit younger. I think it's the only thing I don't like about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's that a lot of the complaints have been Honestly, you couldn't pay me to care about this, Like it's a different face, and they talked about it, explained it.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 4: I don't understand the uproar, and like maybe that's just me just kind of being I don't know, I think there's more important things in the world.
Speaker 5: Character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about the puddles again.
Speaker 5: Or Sam Raimi Spider Man suit.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for like the guy who originally did the facial capture, but at the same time, he will have you know, he's still in that game, believe in the original version. This is just a different look at This is me really stretching to try and care about it. I'm sorry, I'm tired. I like, yeah, it's interesting, like to understand the reasoning behind it, and I think you're right that it's probably because he is going to be in Miles Morales and they just maybe they couldn't get the old actor, but like or they just decided to, you know, go with this new guy because of the similarities between him and Uri Good.
Speaker 6: I just wish that we lived in a world where, you know, us as a society were a little more prepared for our superheroes to have different faces in different versions. If only there was a way that we could have been prepared for that, if only, you know, it would have been like maybe if there was like movies where different Spider Man showed up and they had like different actors, and you know, they weren't always the same actor. Perhaps you know, Marvel made one and then you know Fox made one, or like Sony made one and they had to use different actors. If that was the case, then maybe it would be easier pill to swallow, to have a two different faces of Spider Man. But of course we don't live in that world.
Speaker 2: Grow up, everyone grow up.
Speaker 4: But I kind of if you're a type of person who gets so worked up over something like that that they harassed developers and all that shit, it's like, yeah, you need to have.
Speaker 8: Yeah, everyone will get used to it. Everyone will forget about it. They did the same thing with Infamous. They changed they changed Call's face in between one and two, and everyone was complaining about and blah blah blah, and after that game came out, no one cared.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be the same thing.
Speaker 6: To be clear, we're speaking to a specific type of person that is out there like outrage machining it up. Most people have been like I've seen a lot of people be like I don't really like the new face and then just move on, yeah, and express their opinions in a very reasonable way. But then you get some people who are like Pitchforks ready trying to like harass developers, and it's like, what you're talking about, man, Relax, You're getting a different face. Like how much he puts a mask over his face for ninety that game, that's this whole stick.
Speaker 3: They did that.
Speaker 8: They're gonna go back and like undo all that work, Like, no, what is it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: I so Brian Intahar from Insomniac. First of all, it looks like Brian wrote something on his PC and then took a picture with his phone. Brian, we're gonna have some words about that. I don't know you. I think I met you once.
Speaker 3: But windows shift shift.
Speaker 4: But like some of these, some of these tweets, I'm sorry, but I find this explanation hard to believe when it's unmistakable and undeniable that Peter has not only been made to look several years younger, but in priority with parity, parity, parity with Tom Holland, whom I feel is the worst iteration of Spider yet. This is incredibly disappointing.
Speaker 3: It's just wrong.
Speaker 4: But also this this guy has like said, Oh, it's also disappointing because the PS four owners won't get this as a free upgrade, So it feels like maybe it's just like an extension of that.
Speaker 2: That's a very good point.
Speaker 6: Like it's a lot of there's a lot of ancillary things happening with that game that have built up frustrations, specifically around like upgrade, paid, upgrade, cross saves, that kind of stuff, And this just feels like a way, This feels like a simple thing to channel that rage out because there's a lot to unpack with all those other things. But like anime Avatar, Twitter users are out in force right now just giving people shit, And like the most annoying thing is this presumption that people have that they understand how game development works.
Speaker 3: Like, ah, that.
Speaker 6: Doesn't seem like it was. You know, it's easy to change it back, and it's like, shut up, you ain't got a clue what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Somewhat related, John Linniman of Digital Foundry made a tweet he was just talking about how good the ratracing looks in like the screenshots they showed, and then like somebody responded to him being like, actually, that's not retracing, that's like SSA and you don't know what you're talking about. And I'm like, you're gonna tell the Digital Foundry guy that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Random guy on Twitter, Okay, Like, I mean I get the people who.
Speaker 4: Are kind of upset on behalf of the original actor. Has he said anything about it, like I didn't one of the outrage Like just I'm just looking to like the replies to Brian's tweet, and it's all just people being mad because they look he looks younger. And he didn't even.
Speaker 8: Do the mo cap. It was Yary who did the mo cap, so he would have just came in that one literally did the face for the face. It's like everyone get mad at Yeah, it's like he did it like years ago.
Speaker 3: He probably doesn't even remember. Who knows.
Speaker 4: The problem isn't change itself. It's the Peter now looks younger than Miles, which doesn't really work for the whole bin doing this for years going to be your mental our role he's filling in the story. I don't buy a baby face like that. Having been spidy for that long.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I've been reading Spider Man and watching Spider Man since I was a kid, And do you know how many times his face has changed over the years, And.
Speaker 2: I can't even count. Do you know how many times they upset me? Zero? Zero?
Speaker 3: Grow up? All right, Jake, let's move on from this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we probably should. I one thing I will say is we weren't going to mention the debate, but after the debate last night, I have to tell you, when I saw people mad about Spider Man, I was like, this is literally the last thing I could possibly care about at this moment in time. Like that's a will say regarding the debate, but honestly, like, who gives a shit?
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sorry. I saw someone say I hope this change is like Sonic did. There's your fucking terrible precedent.
Speaker 2: That is not what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they changed Sonic for the Bear, but like.
Speaker 6: But like, gread up on what work went into doing that, because it was crunch, it was.
Speaker 4: Cross and then that whole studio got the whole studio got shut down, and like a. All those people go legoh so no.
Speaker 5: Anyway, let's move on to listener questions, shall we?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go on then, all right, first question here is from Jeremy Biff on Discord. But if you've got any questions for us, you can email us at after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com, or you can join a discord by dming one of us on Twitter and we'll get you right in there. There's a whole channel in there for you to ask your questions. We pull most of them right from there, and the first one is from Jeremy Biff on Discord. They say, Hey, I listened to all the episodes of the podcast.
Speaker 5: I listened to Oh man, what am I doing?
Speaker 4: My beers?
Speaker 3: Have you had Jake one?
Speaker 5: Very light beer?
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're biffinite.
Speaker 5: I'm biffinite.
Speaker 1: Hey, I listened to all the episodes of the podcast last week. What's your favorite alcohol and non alcoholic drink? Keep up the good work to more?
Speaker 5: Do you want to start?
Speaker 1: Because I imagine you're just gonna have a non alcoholic drink for us?
Speaker 2: I do. Yeah. I don't drink, so I'm a huge tea drinker.
Speaker 6: I have multiple cups of tea per day because I have the like elite tea addict combination of being English and Pakistani. So that's basically like those are our two national drinks. But in terms of other beverages, I really like ginger beer. It's my favorite drink that you have ginger ale here more than ginger beer. And that's a very different drink that I'm not into, but I will drink it if that's the only option, but ginger beer is probably my favorite one. There's also a drink I don't know if it's like worldwide, but Lucy will know it called Copperberg, which is actually an alcoholic drink, but they do a non alcoholic variety of it which is really really good. It's like different fruit blends that are like carbonated, and I have not found an equivalent here, like high end. You know how people take beer really seriously here with like craft beers. Copperberg felt like a cross of soft drink and there's no like alternative of it here as far as I've found.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in the UK. It's a cider, the Kiwian lime one a's elip that's very good.
Speaker 2: Forest fruits was the one I always liked.
Speaker 1: I mean, for me, like, I guess if we're just starting with non alcoholic, like a nice glass of orange juice, like fresh squeezed orange juice.
Speaker 4: Is bits or no bits, sorry, pulp or no pulp?
Speaker 1: Pulp, Yeah, I gotta have pulp, fresh squeeze, gotta have pulp.
Speaker 4: I don't want to drink, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I've I've heard that people I have.
Speaker 6: I've heard people, you know, drinking pulp and and like making them throw up.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that's the case. I think that's pulp fiction.
Speaker 5: Oh my, well, that's what we're calling this episode.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can filter out the pulp, it's still gonna taste really good. But like fresh squeezed orange juice is is the word it's at like and it's crazy, how much better? Well, I guess it's not that crazy, But like the difference between fresh squeezed orange juice and just you know, store bought orange juice is a night and day like tropicana orange juice is disgusting.
Speaker 5: But fresh squeezed, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's the one.
Speaker 4: What's about what about alcoholic?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'll drink any beer, honestly, I.
Speaker 1: Have the off the one that you have the hat of Oh yeah, Topa Topa that's like a local brewery that's very good from my hometown, which I enjoy.
Speaker 4: We were trying to get sponsored by four point at one.
Speaker 1: Point, what is point is my favorite?
Speaker 5: In fact, I'm drinking four point right now.
Speaker 4: The sketchy look off to camera doesn't work when.
Speaker 2: No one can see it.
Speaker 1: It's fine, Yeah, if you're if you're into beer, this is a plug for one Dave Jewett on our team.
Speaker 6: He does like live streams on Twitch, which is part gaming stream and part beer stream. So if you're like, yeah, if you're looking to see like what different beers tastes like and get reviews, he's the man to go to find him at irregular Dave on Twitter.
Speaker 1: He finds some weird ones too. Like I tuned in he was like drinking a blueberry beer and yeah, It's like that sounds it sounds like something i'd want to taste.
Speaker 5: I don't know if i'd want it, but it sounds like something I want to taste.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to think what mine would be. Hmm. I am always weak for a diet coke, but I do think the the diet Doctor Pepper is an elite drink. It's very very good in terms of alcoholic drink. I am a basic bitch and I love White Claw. I drink a lot of white Claw. Lime is my favorite. But I also enjoy like a nice and nice peanot, a nice red or actually any gin based cocktail that has like you cover in it. I'm a Suckerphone.
Speaker 6: You are a big DC person as well in the UK, but it seems like you shifted over to Diet Doctor Pepper.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, because it was twenty five cents off. But DC's over here. Diet cokes tastes different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've learned this very.
Speaker 4: Slowly, so not as big a fan over here.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a sorry.
Speaker 6: There's a brand in in the UK called Rubicon, and they do a mango flavored drink, a passionate food fruit flavored drink, and a light flavorite favored carbonated drink and they are s rank so good.
Speaker 4: A sorry. Before I was John in a testament to just how much I like White Claw and your Goldfarb friend of the show message to say some big personal news, and he got a different variety pack of White Claw and just said it's got some new flavors. I haven't tried.
Speaker 1: Yet, so I still never had a white claw. I feel like I should have it at some point.
Speaker 4: You should like it's it's totally fine and it gets gets you where you need to go.
Speaker 1: This isn't just like Lacroix with some alcohol, Like I like Lacroix a lot, so I'm sure i'd like it. One thing I forgot to shut out is uh ishbiki hubikie whiskey with like one solid ice cube.
Speaker 5: Just one ice.
Speaker 1: Cube is perfect, Like there's Japanese mate, Like Japanese whiskey is so good if you.
Speaker 8: Get your hands on that, like thirty thirty aged hibiki.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, Peter Peter soaked me up before. He's the person to talk to, Sean Luke, how about you?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: For regular drinks, I would go with either some fresh lemonade. I love making homemade lemonade is uh because you can control the amount of because I feel like you get store lemonade and it's like it's never correct, like the amount of sweetness versus like you know, tartness you wants, like you can really control it when you make at home.
Speaker 3: It's really good.
Speaker 8: For beer, my favorite that comes to mind would probably be a double ipa called Hetty Topper, which is from my hometown.
Speaker 3: My hometown is like.
Speaker 8: Big On Craft Brewery, and back when I was in college that was like the best beer in the state at the time. I'm sure if I go back now, everyone will tell me I'm a scrub and like Hetty Toppers, like old hat and they're all drinking like Trile Triple Sunshine now.
Speaker 3: Or something like that. But Heady Topper, Hedy Topper is pretty good.
Speaker 5: Nice, all right? Next question here, Lucy, do you want to read this one from Carbon? Sure?
Speaker 4: So Carbon and the discord. I have a little bit of a dilemma. So currently I have a PS four Pro and a switch light with a messed up micro SD card reader, and I want to get a PC, but I also want and you switch. And also I have a lot of friends who have Xboxes, and I want to get an Xbox because of that. But I only have like thirteen hundred dollars. So should I put the money and get a PC or get a cheaper PC and get a series S or switch or get all three and get a cheaper PC and you switch and do the financing for xbox.
Speaker 2: Hmm, there's a lot going on there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot going so I should point out that I think in a follow up there was a whole conversation of people in discord giving them suggests or giving them suggestions and whatnot, and I think they may have.
Speaker 5: Fixed their their switch, SD card or something.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Okay, So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot to follow here.
Speaker 1: There's even more to follow when you, you know, look at the whole conversation. But I figure we can just kind of like just go from that, like PC, Like with thirteen hundred dollars, what would you.
Speaker 8: Do if they're only worrying about the piece or about the Xbox for playing with friends, I would recommend getting the PC because a lot of games between PC and Xbox now have cross play.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 8: So assuming you're not like I guess, I don't know what games specifically are playing, but if it's definitely first party, they'll be set. And I would say at this point, most major things, it's like Call of Duty, war Zone that's all cross play. So I would say that I'd go PC over the Xbox.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like you can definitely do the financing for Xbox and then you would get the So hang, I'm trying to see what's the justification carbon for wanting to get a PC if everyone's on Xbox anyway, Like do you need PC for work or school or just like some PC games? That's a good point, Like I think, I mean, getting a PC is probably the safe bet because there's so much cross platform play. If you have game Pass Ultimate, then you're laughing.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing, though, I think the smart thing to do is it would be get a piece because you are in the Microsoft ecosystem then, and that's where and it's fully connected to most other xboxes. The issue you have is and like everyone can speak to this, but getting a cheaper PC might not be the right play here, even though it's smarter to do so. But it could mean that the shelf life on it is lower since you're buying lower powered parts. And if gaming on PC changes in a significant way, which is likely to do because that's what usually happens, you might find that your PC's kind of left behind very quick quickly. Whereas once you buy a console, there's very little going to change in that architecture over time.
Speaker 2: And also it's a closed.
Speaker 6: System, so there's less likely to be major kind of degradation or faults with it in that Microsoft or you know whatever platform holder or a retailer won't be able to take care of PCs have a way of constantly screwing up, and once you've purchased the parts and put it together, it's kind of on you to figure that stuff out.
Speaker 2: So like if it was if it was if.
Speaker 6: You were saying, I'm going to spend the money to get a thirty eight top of the range PC, then I would say do that because you're good for this generation then and like you can spread out upgrades a little more evenly. But if you're buying a mid to like low mid tier, then I would probably say get the console, maybe even splash out on a Series X, because then you're good for a while and you know that there's very little going to change in the hardware architecture and the world around it that will push you.
Speaker 2: Out of playing the games exactly the way you want to play them.
Speaker 5: That was pretty good. I don't have much money added that.
Speaker 1: I think, like kind of to Lucy's point is that it is I definitely consider too write if you're not going to use this just for games, Like if you have school or work and you need a PC, then obviously I would prioritize the PC.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I like what Tomorrow was saying too about financing an Xbox Series X, because then you don't need your spending less, you don't need to worry about upgrading your PC, or you don't need to worry about all these issues that may come from a PC. So I'd say that's a good bet, especially if you've got friends there too. Like the big reason I play on Xbox is in PCs because I've got friends there. So you know, that's always my priority when it comes to buying these new consoles is where where are my friend's going to be? I'm my friends at but now I got friends on every platform.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Look at you.
Speaker 2: I don't go, I don't go friends, family, all.
Speaker 5: Right, show me up anyway.
Speaker 1: That's been episode sixty one of GameSpot after Dark. Thank you all so much for joining me, and thank you for listening. If you've got any questions, you can email us at after Dark Podcasts at GameSpot dot com, or you can join our discord server by dming any one of us on Twitter and we'll get you right in there. There's a lot more that goes on in there than just questions.
Speaker 5: For the show. Lots of good conversations.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a vague threat about joining a cult.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's what it is, but please reach out. We'd love to have you there and with that, where can people find you?
Speaker 4: Lucy, I'll be branding people with the initials GSA D the nexim rules in our discord Now I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games. This week on Generation Next, we've got Michael Hyam who has an Xbox Series X, a real one, on the show, answering questions that will put to him. That we call that for last week. So if you had burning questions about the series X, I just want to get like another cool info dump and watch a man lick a console. Then that is up right?
Speaker 5: How you get clout the console?
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah, I love the fact that Xbox is Social media manager Josh Stein tweeted out, I can't believe I had to say this, but please don't lick your series. To be fair, it was the middle of the pandemic. But Michael did wipe it down before we did it, and I will wipe it down before he sends it back.
Speaker 5: Timorro how about you.
Speaker 6: You can find me serving flavor aid to all you find joiners of our discord.
Speaker 2: Nothing bad will happen after you drink it.
Speaker 4: Man, respect for using the correct powdered drink.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeap.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'm thinking we should rebrand this Discord server, this whole. I think there's another avenue we can follow here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'm on Twitter at timore h.
Speaker 8: How about you, Jean Luke, you can find me at john lei sip on Twitter. I don't have anything else going on, but yeah, go check out the discord server. Actually, we just updated the discord server. It's now a a community server, which I don't think actually will change anything on the users ends.
Speaker 3: I don't think they'll even notice.
Speaker 8: But that means we now have access to like cool extra tools that we can use to make the server better.
Speaker 3: So look forward to that soon.
Speaker 8: Oh and I'm I guess I'll probably talk about it in the coming weeks, but I am starting to plan for various events that come at the end of October beginning of November that we do every year, So look forward to that. That should be fun and exciting and not a total nightmare to plan remotely.
Speaker 1: That could be great, and you can find me at Jacob Deck and more cyberpunk stuff. Jess has a cyberpunk video, a lore video going up Saturday, all about the different districts in night City. The week after that, I'll be doing one on brain Dance, which is like the cyberpunk VR sort of deal, so keep a lookout for that.
Speaker 5: And those are the things that come to mind. Probably a bunch of reviews too.
Speaker 1: Star Wars, right, the Star Wars and Crash reviewer. Actually, the review may not be up yet because I think there's multiplayer that needs to be tested, but the Crash one should be up by now.
Speaker 3: There should be single player impressions, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, single player impressions, yes. Anyway, yeah, Star Wars Crash check it out. We've got we've got impressions, reviews, all that kind of stuff. But anyway, we'll see y'all next thing.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, right,