Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen Cookie, I'm Steve Rivera and will be today Jacobsaus. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball Breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Arizona Baseball is currently playing their opening day game. They are losing too nothing to ole Miss after six innings.
Speaker 2: Who got the first start? Who's the picture? I don't know. You could tell me Jim blowing out.
Speaker 4: Well, they're playing in that thing over at the Texas Rangers Stadium.
Speaker 5: It was the big deal.
Speaker 4: It's like kind of like a like a preseedon like Maui Classic or the preseason. I don't know for the last few or two years ago, but they played in it before. But it's a big deal over at over at the Texas Rangers Stadium in Arlington.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They play Onson tomorrow and Louisville on Sunday. Travis Hunter has officially entered for the Combine as a cornerback.
Speaker 4: Interesting, you know, Dion Sanders was on the number of those radio road shows, you know, super Bowl and you know, basically saying, you know, why can't he play both? You know, because they were trying to pin him down, and he wouldn't be pinned on, you know, you know which he thinks he's got a better shot at.
Speaker 5: He said he can play both.
Speaker 4: He's an athlete, you know, but it's a lot harder in the NFL. Receiver he played some receipts, not like a guy that went out there and was you know, like like like like yeah, like he'd like Travis Hunter did it. You know, he wasn't all, you know, a primary receiver and a starting cornerback.
Speaker 5: He played.
Speaker 4: He played cornerback, but he would play receiver a few plays a game.
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember that, I know. Yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: College basketball this weekend, Number one Auburn takes on number two Alabama tomorrow, that is at at Alabama.
Speaker 5: Alabama's giving points in that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Number sixteen Wisconsin at number seven Purdue, and number twenty four creating at number nine Saint John's.
Speaker 2: This year, have you paid attention to the kind of Yeah, this year has been Bonker's good. Yeah, because last week last that Tuesday night when they played. Everybody's playing the top twenty teams, right, Everyone's playing everybody, and there's a lot of there's a lot of good teams outside of Auburn and Alabama and that are.
Speaker 5: Really good, right. I mean, look at look again.
Speaker 4: You know, Joseph Darky mentioned Kansas, right, they've got five conference last time. Look at luk at Yukon right, And you can tell Danny Early is so frustrated that he had mouth off to the Creighton fans the other night when you know when they beat Creighton. You know it's clearly getting to him too. You know, the whole don't turn your back on me. I'm the best fing college basketball coach ever.
Speaker 5: That's good, you know. So you know the fact that you know some of these teams are having.
Speaker 4: A tough go tell you what, you know, how great college basketball is. You know that Arizona's you know, at the top of the Big twelve Conference.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the whole thing. And I'm sure it gives hope to your buddies and to people who follow Arizona basketball all the time. And I've heard this thousands of times, and she all he have to do is do what the ninety seven team did go in and get hot and double. Could this team do it? Yes, likely, not likely, but but that's the whole right.
Speaker 5: That's right. If it's happened before, it can happen again.
Speaker 2: Sure, and this team and this team if Caleb got hot, and I still say they're going to need Caleb at some point to get on a roll. And if he got in a role.
Speaker 4: When he's at his best, he's one of the five or ten best college basketball players in the country.
Speaker 2: Even Kelvin said that they're earlier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's not come he kills you because you're counting on him, and then you're not anything from sure.
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: NBA All Star Weekend is this weekend.
Speaker 3: We've got the Celebrity Game and Rising Stars Challenge tonight tomorrow, the Skills Challenge, three point and Dunk Contest, and All Star Game is on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Could you care any less?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't know it was this weekend, and Henry, I'm not you know, I'm I'm on Twitter and and you know I see stuff, But I I had no idea that this was it was the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Do you you know what the biggest drug would have been the three point Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Klen declined it.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: No, I I care about as much as I care about as much about that as I did about the Flag football Pro Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't watch any of that either.
Speaker 6: The Eagles had their Super Bowl parade earlier.
Speaker 5: Today, and I can't how many people died.
Speaker 6: It looks like this.
Speaker 2: Your that's your neighborhood. Would you if your team, if your team would would win. Yeah, maybe you're gone and you're back in New York, And would you go if it was like fifteen degrees? I think you got to because they finally won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's like there, like how many years ago, a few years ago, if it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first, if you're you're not a giant, right, you're.
Speaker 3: A yeah, like yeah, if your team's first championship in a while, if you should.
Speaker 6: Go, no matter what the weather is, I'm watching from TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, I I don't know that I would because I'm an old guy and just didn't win one of a million.
Speaker 2: You know, you were coming back, you were coming back from Indy. Were you the next day when they had the Yeah? Yeah we missed the parade. Yeah, I missed it.
Speaker 4: We were we were flying back with a really bad hangover. There's anything worse than getting on a plane with a horrible hangover and no sleep. Well, if you didn't throw in the kids too, right, and we had and we had kids who had gotten no sleep either, that was one of the worst playing rides back ever.
Speaker 2: Well, the night before was pretty good.
Speaker 5: Night before it was pretty fun, exactly. I don't want anybody to think it was. It was totally worth it, absolutely, That's.
Speaker 6: All I got.
Speaker 2: Okay, and we have time if anybody wants else to call five two o four one six seventy four forty. We appreciate your calls. Talk about tomorrow's big game.
Speaker 5: Again, Steve, I, I I.
Speaker 2: Got a text friend because you make sure you bored me, you know.
Speaker 4: To me, I just hope our fans are having fun and not and not with the same level of angst that the Pac twelve gave them because you felt like they should win every single Pack twelve game.
Speaker 5: That this is this is fun.
Speaker 4: It should be fun because a team is you're playing teams that you can here, and then it's supposed to be more fun than that. How much fun do you have it? A thirty three point win over State. You don't there, there's awful and all the games sound familiar. So let me say this, because you you're on Twitter stupidly like me and Facebook stupid ly like me. Do you still get pissed or whatever word I want you can use about the people talking about the games and saying, oh, this is yeah, God, here's.
Speaker 5: What I wanted to do the other day. It was. It was. It was when when Arizona beat Iowa State.
Speaker 4: Okay, that that incredible game, right, And I went looking for the tweet from the guy who started the fire Tommy hashtag back at the end of the conference season, and I wanted to.
Speaker 5: Call him out. I wanted to I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Repost it because I found it.
Speaker 4: I wanted to repost it and crack and he it was the original guy who posted it. But then there are a bunch of people who kept saying Tommy's not the guy. He could get rid of him. He's he's not, And I'm like you, I want to say, the word is what do you think now?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: What do you think now?
Speaker 4: And I and then I thought that guy wants me to repost his posts, so I didn't, but I wanted to go back there, And then I wanted to send him a private message and say you aren't freaking butt head, you know, because I'm like, who are you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well that's the whole thing one, And I'm not sure I'm guilty of this because I'm more of a watcher than reader than a poster. Uh. No one, No one gives a crap of what you're thinking, what you say. No one's gonna say, I wonder what builds thinking?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: You know who's who's a carpenter and builds boat ships or sorry?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: You know what do you know?
Speaker 4: People care what you know? Frankfurt Silla, who's coming on? People care what he thinks? Sure, because he's national media. You know his his opinion can affect how things, you know, come out. But you know, Joe blow in his mama's basement. No, we don't give a crap what you But it bothers me because to me, when somebody posts a fire Tommy thing, it's it's like personal. I'd say, you don't even know him, You have no idea well about his family, who he is, how good a coach is? You know nothing, and then you bring out your stupid opinion.
Speaker 5: On something like that.
Speaker 4: Just sit there and say, hey, you know, but I don't think Tommy's doing the great top fine.
Speaker 2: And here's my problem with it is that they don't know what it takes to win the game, right. You know, you probably the guy who's postion is probably five minute state to work. You know what I'm saying, Yeah, you have issues at your place, and you're coming here to tell him he's not the guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that he's not the guy.
Speaker 4: You have no idea who the guy is, right, And then it just bothers me when people do that, because I think it's so personal when people do that.
Speaker 2: And it's well, buckle up for the next three four weeks. Yeah, but Steve or throw your computer away. No, I'd like to think that it's good.
Speaker 4: This is I mean, this is a transition for for Arizona fan to understand what Arizona is up against being in the Big twelve ye specifically in basketball that you know, it's just darn different.
Speaker 2: We got a call. Yeah, Hello, you're on the airline of the moment. It's Rick.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know you said, I heard you guys talking about Caleb Glove and this terrible shooting night. One of the things that people don't take into consideration is the threat regardless of the shooting. He is a threat, and the other teams are very aware of what a threat he really is. And when he's not hitting, other people are picking up the slack. Now, maybe not the slack that we need or would like to have, but at the end of the day, he is such a formidable opponent that people have to pay attention to who he is and if he's not, they're in trouble. If he's not, Arizona can still play basketball regardless. And I liked the idea about the gray area you guys are talking about. And I coached baseball for five years. Give me a kid that's having a bad day out in the field, I can I can live with it. Give me a kid that's got an attitude adjustment he's on the bench. Yeah, that is the way coaches think because we're in the human business and just happened to be guys playing basketball right now.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, have a good day. I hope you put some gray, some Greecian formula in that gray area here.
Speaker 10: Oh I don't need it. The ladies like my gray.
Speaker 2: Brought it up.
Speaker 10: I'm thanks, goodbye, Jim.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I want to talk more about the gray area. Maybe we can find that clip just where he talks about that great. Maybe we talked to Fran about that. Explain it to me. It was towards the end of the press conference. Okay, we'll look for it. We'll look for it just because I'm interested, because maybe that's what games are won and lost, you know what I'm saying. And it's pretty more like what we talk about the psychological part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll find it during the break, Henry, and we'll queue it up. But yeah, there is so much. I mean, we know way less. I'm trying to find. There's way more that we don't know about coaching than we do know. You know, we know about two percent of what it's like to be a coach, and ninety eight percent is a mystery to.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, Well let me remind you what you told the media group back to the early nineties. I know more about basketball and this little big game, you guys know it.
Speaker 5: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: We don't know what goes into a coach when they make you know, when they make a sub why they're playing a certain guy. You know, like those of us who are sitting here thinking Carter Brian should be a starter. Right, Well, there's something that Tommy sees in practice every day and how he's using him and what he thinks he's capable of to say he's better for us coming off the bench.
Speaker 2: No, there's a method to the matter.
Speaker 5: Do I think, for instance, do I think Carter brant is?
Speaker 4: I think he's a better player than either Trey Townsend or Dell or so. But but there's something that those two guys bring that we don't see that Tommy does.
Speaker 5: That says those two guys need to start, and he's.
Speaker 2: Talked about that. Where why why fix something that's not broken. They're doing well, how they're doing. Why mess with it? And everything's okay?
Speaker 4: My son, Ke's smacking me in the face when I tell it with that comment exactly, he says, When I say that Carter Brian should be starting, he says, Dad, they're winning all these games with what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Why are you going to change that?
Speaker 2: Wait? Wait, wait so that grasshopper, I don't Holy crap, you could be my assistant here, not Jen.
Speaker 5: He would be a much better host.
Speaker 2: Get him on the line. Let's go and take a break. Use it's true, friend, will be waiting for some other side.
Speaker 1: No your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Check that's check Enter in right now Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your.
Speaker 5: Passion, your joy and excitement.
Speaker 1: From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 6: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yuki Tribe.
Speaker 11: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of stock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 11: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows.
Speaker 2: Store Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tip we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipments?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of will Not.
Speaker 13: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you. In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 14: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the nut notice.
Speaker 6: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, We've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and.
Speaker 2: Trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two OZHO seven to four to ZHO twelve thirteen.
Speaker 6: Broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 7: Go cats, got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation Today. Baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Kino veteran Orio Baseball Stadium. Build the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com to cure your seat today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 11: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot is here to help.
Speaker 11: At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show? Call up Steve now at five to two oh four, one six, seventy four to forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to one in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in today would be Jakinsaw's knowing the po we have frand for Schella, who'd be be covering the game tomorrow for ESPN. Friend, how the heck are you?
Speaker 5: They're a good Steve.
Speaker 16: I'm in town watch practice today and they they got us up at Rose Vintanna Canyon, which is beautiful.
Speaker 5: Oh my tough, holy cow, tough life. Yeah, you like to stay here for a week?
Speaker 2: Life, They're gonna change the title of Life of Riley to Life of France.
Speaker 5: Friend, this, I wish I could.
Speaker 16: I wish I could stay more than one day, but I'll be off to Waco for the next game on Monday, So you're geting catch twice and two days.
Speaker 4: Friend, this is jagon Zows. We've never talked to him. Good to meet you. Let me just tell you about Low's Ventana canon. What you've got. I live about fifteen minutes from there, but I'll go stay there on a weekend in the summertime because it's such a such.
Speaker 5: A great place. You are in a great place. Yes, yeah, we are.
Speaker 16: Well, I'm uh, you know, I I prefer to be down by the campus, but I guess there's a lot going on this weekend. And then you got all the Valentine's people that taking their wives out to dinner and probably you know, staying and spending the night in the beautiful Arizona Marriott, Tucson Marriott.
Speaker 5: But this is good.
Speaker 16: This is not not complaining, not complaining.
Speaker 2: Well, you're coming in at the perfect time. You probably knew you'd be covering this game, the game of the year in my estimation, what do you see tomorrow?
Speaker 16: I'm excited, I really am, Steve. You know, if you look at what now, you know did not this not discounting what happened to the Cats up in Manhattan, Kansas, where.
Speaker 5: I didn't think they played.
Speaker 16: Neither team played particularly well, right and but part of that is case Stags playing great basketball right now, six in a row. But I think what I'm excited about is is the way that the Cats have handled two very tough, physical teams recently at home, Iowa State and of course Texas Tech. And I think we're going to see the same type of fight tomorrow from them against the team that is not only capable winning the national championship. But I think everybody understands that Calvin Sampson's team is one of the toughest, hardest nosed teams in the country. But when I saw practice today was pretty I'd be optimistic because this team is learning how to punch back, as they've done on numerous occasions here in Big twelve plays.
Speaker 5: So it should be a it.
Speaker 16: Really, I want to say Street fight in a complementary way, because I do think it's going to be that kind of game.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's what you know, Steve and I have been talking about quite a bit, is that, you know, Arizona is the new kid on the block as it relates to Big twelve basketball and what we've seen and what's obvious to us after forty years of back to pack ten Pac twelve basketball, is Arizona in a very quick period of time has become a much tougher team. They're tougher on the floor. You mentioned that, and that, you know, in terms of being more physical and all those things. And that's the glaring thing that we see over here, you know, the difference between just from last year to this year.
Speaker 16: I think you're right, and I think I talked to coach Lloyd about that today and you know, he had an interesting point. You know, I said, what's the difference between coaching here and the Gonzaga And he said, you know, at Gonzaga, we got rest and we gained confidence because.
Speaker 5: Of where we play the WCC.
Speaker 16: You know, we were able to you know, not play our guys thirty five minutes. We gained a lot of confidence from being the big kid on the block and dominating that league. But he said the flip side is being in the Big twelve toughens you up every night, every single night in this league. And I've been a part of this league, as you guys know, for over twenty years now, and Coach Lloyd kind of feels that this league has really toughened up the Cats this year.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 16: When I look at their team, I see a guy like Tobyahwaka, I see kJ Lewis, I see it, Jayden Bradley, any other guys. You know, Caleb Love is a is a tough kid from Saint Louis. They've got the kind of team that especially the way they as Steve and I talked about last time, the way this team has kind of morphed into a different team without Moe Krevas. There's definitely an element of junkyard dog with these guys. They've proven it on a number of occasions this year, sweeping the Trip East, obviously beating a couple of really good teams at home. And so I got the feeling today that you know it's gonna be, you know, two dogs and one bone, you know, as coach Lloyd has said in the past. I think this is gonna be a game that's gonna come down to toughness.
Speaker 5: And I think as.
Speaker 16: Much as I've admired what Kelvin's doing, and I think the coaches really do have a mutual admiration for each other, I think that's gonna be the key to the game. Who wins the battle of the fifty to fifty balls, who wins the battle of the boards, Who makes more tough plays down the stretch. And we have seen on a number of occasions recently that the Cats and Capable are doing that.
Speaker 2: So one of the things I Jay and I spoke about earlier, and this is how I feel. Lot Guy has been fenn tastic, Henry's been very good, Jaden's done what he's done. But but Arizona, to me, at times plays with one hand behind his back. If Caleb's not shooting the ball well, and he hasn't, Delocio hasn't shot the ball well at all, and there's other things. You know, Townsend hasn't been that great. So you have three or four good players, but you still need more.
Speaker 16: Yeah, there's no question, Steve, I mean, listen, we know what Caleb is.
Speaker 5: Caleb.
Speaker 16: I compare him to the He's the guy, you know, playing for the you know, the Diamondbacks, who's going to hit forty homers. He's gonna hit two forty. It's going to strike out two hundred times. But he's dangerous because he can, you know, because he can get on a hot streak. And it's not a knock on him.
Speaker 5: It's who he is.
Speaker 16: I mean, he's proven time and time again that he can be feast or fam and I'm sure Tommy would like him to be more consistent. But he's also capable, as he has done in the past, both at North Carolina and obviously last year in the Pac twelve as the Player of the Years. He's capable going on on a run. And the other thing about Caleb Love that I've admired from Afar now I've gotten to know him a little bit more from watching him play and talking to him, is he's a you know, he's not afraid of big moments. You know, that's that's apparent now. Sometimes those big moments go awry. But on the other hand, you know, the Iowa State game was a perfect example, not only hitting a shot that I by the way, still think it was too far put that on let's put that on the record. But having said that, I mean, he was just incredible and overtime. So but to your point, Steve, I do think, like you know, del Orso has been in a slump lately. His defense was not very good the other night. They had to take him out like the first two minutes of the game. And then Trey looks like he's going to be back tomorrow. I don't know if I'm giving away anything, but it sounds like he's ready to go. And certainly he's played with some toughness. I mean, he's a little undersized. I think for this level, he's you know, here's what I would tell you guys, without rambling here, but to ask these two guys Orso and Townshend to be, you know, Keisha Johnson and Pelle Larson would be a reach because it wasn't until after the season when I started studying up for the NBA draft and I think, wow, you know what, these two guys could actually make it, and they have and so they're not the guys that left here, but they've got to be better versions of themselves than they maybe have been in recent weeks.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering how I got you on the show because you're too pragmatic for us. That's just too that's too realistic, like youug me.
Speaker 16: I found out on Twitter. I think I don't remember, say in Arizona State, but I must have because I've sadly had to block a few people. Yeah, listen, you know I get that at Kansas too. I get I really get it more with the blue bloods than I do with the Iowa States and the Iowa States and the Texas Texas just so you guys know.
Speaker 5: And the Bailers.
Speaker 16: They're thrilled when I talk about them or tweet about them. If I make one innocent mistake out an Arizona or Kansas game, Uh gosh, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: It's like you losing to Utip when you were in New Mexico.
Speaker 5: You can't do that, exactly, exactly, no question.
Speaker 4: So Fran, that sort of the running running theme of the discussion of the of the of this game tomorrow. You know, if you you have Arizona that you know likes to run up and down the floor, there the free wheeling kind of team you got Houston, that's you know, the half court grindy grind you team.
Speaker 5: When you see two teams like.
Speaker 4: That, let's say they got equal talent and whatnot, do you have a sense of what tends to be How does the game end up being it can or how does one impose their will on the other? And is do you think it's more often the team that's a grinder has a better chance of putting the brakes on a team that run up and down the floor.
Speaker 16: No, watch it. I think it's a team that has the great home court advantage. Okay, do you know what I mean? Is gonna you know, make it a treat like you know.
Speaker 5: Fat uh? You know that Bekale is such a great home court. It's right there.
Speaker 16: I'll still don't see him, which is, by the way of one of the great places in the country, as the Cats will find out in a couple of weeks. But no, I think the crowd has a lot to do with with you know, the Temple game. I mean, obviously Arizona wants to run and they're capable of it. You know, the guards are going to be I'll tell you what. There's a lot of interesting matchups here. Both teams are basically pretty hard line of pretty count.
Speaker 5: That kJ is going to play.
Speaker 16: Over thirty minutes starters minutes, and you look at Houston with their three guards, they're all kind of similar junkyard dogs. They're probably they shoot it better, there's no doubt they're shooting nearly forty percent. But you know, Jaydon Bradley is having a phenomenal year. I think he's the heart and soul his team. The guards can you know, Caleb loves to get up and down. So no, I think a lot of it's going to have to do with can this team get the crowd into it? Because and by the way, I believe it is the only team in the country that's feeded on the road right now, I'm pretty sure about that, Dave Cash, it's not true, and you'll have to blame him. Yeah, and I almost said it like ten seconds ago. But no, I think that's gonna be I think the crowd is gonna be a big factor, and I think I think both teams will try to impose their will. Don't forget now, there's a Houston gets ten more field goals.
Speaker 2: A game than their opponent.
Speaker 16: Why because they're great on the offensive glass, right, and because they turn you over more than most teams do. So that's they don't have to shoot well to win, so they like the grind it out game. Uh, Arizona's becoming more accustom him to play in that way. But they also have some firepower too when they get up and down. And I think again McHale is going to be a big factor tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned Jayden beating the heart and sold this team. I think one of the things that we talked about this last time, like you said with Creevos, the guy that I've been really that I've liked since he first shut up. Uh, this is Henry. Henry has been fantastic in this stretch where what who is this guy?
Speaker 16: Yes, yeah, you know it's a I think I told you this last First of all, by the way, I'm convinced he will play in the NBA someday, hopefully not.
Speaker 5: After this year. I don't think. I don't think he's remotely ready.
Speaker 16: I think he's going to have a couple more great years. But addition, by Pat and I don't mean negatively, last time Stevens team turned around because of injury, remote crevas, they had to kind ofst their game.
Speaker 2: Much we lose. You must have gone to the pool because we're losing you on the phone.
Speaker 16: No, no, you know, I'm in my room here just Tanna canyons, So I don't know if it's.
Speaker 5: Uh, can you still hear me? We're good now, okay, Yeah, I.
Speaker 16: Mean I'm out here in the boonies now, you know, I'm uh, I'm out here with the with the coyote and.
Speaker 2: Bill Bill Walton would yes, yes, yes, dear, So you're talking about Oh, I just.
Speaker 16: Think that the team evolved after the injury and a chance to play more, and it's you know, the rest is history. I think he's playing great and he's gonna get a big factor tomorrow because he's gonna have to play with the kind of toughness that Tommy's that we've seen a lot of sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, there's a there's a lot tomorrow. I know you don't. I'm not gonna ask you for prediction because you're you're you're doing the game, uh tomorrow, But welcome back. Is this your last time here or do you know the.
Speaker 16: Last time here? I will see the Cats three more times on the road, all tough games. Baylor Iowa State in March eighth at Kansas man Man.
Speaker 2: You got there. Let you know this guy, you've been here before. You came in here with the New Mexico. He pulled off some magic. The fans here got used to winning a whole lot here, but they went thirteen and one right in this stretch here, and people started thinking, okay, great, but they hadn't gone to Kansas and I su' what's coming up is going to be the test?
Speaker 16: Yeah, no question and wasten. They're head into the tournament. They're probably going to get a high seed. If they could steal a win on the road at places like bail Or in Iowa state, another feather in their cap. But I'm impressed. Well, you know, Steve, we talked about it. We saw them give away that thirteen point we to UCA. Things did not look good. And obviously I got to tell you Tommy Woyd's done a great job because coming off of Atlantis and then that, you know, Boston Phoenix, he was very optimistic that he would have a very good team and he does. And you know, so I think they're heading to the tournament. And before we go, by the way, thank you for the Rudolfson book. It is incredible, great reminiscence. I saw Matt Bracy today Root's grandson of practice the seventy six years. Obviously you're on break and Match in town and you know that you talk about a giant of a man. You know, there's nobody quite like like Luds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, no problem. Thank you for tweeting it out. If you like it tweeted out again, I will, Yeah, thank you, I think I will. We'll see you tomorrow afternoon. Be well.
Speaker 5: Thanks gee, thanks Jay. Good to talk to you for.
Speaker 2: Selling good stuff. You know, I'm not trying to blow smoke because he's on the phone. He does a very good, even handed call of the game.
Speaker 5: Right right, and and you love that about it about a guy, you know, Uh, that's all you want.
Speaker 4: You want somebody who's smarter than you about the game to kind of keep you up on what's going on so that you see what you see.
Speaker 5: But then somebody like him comes in and say helps you see more.
Speaker 2: For the people who don't like or hid like Walton you know too much. He just kind of gives you the notes of bolts of what's going on.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of good guys that are like that. Yeah that's what you like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's go. We're gonna maybe listen to one more quote from Tommy on the other side. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hey, Wilcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health insiders four ah three five five one four four four four ah three five five one four four.
Speaker 13: Four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save call them today. We're big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, you're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or calm at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 5: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 5: On twenty second, just west of.
Speaker 13: Wilmot, Tucson, It's time for the Cola Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Canquisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest.
Speaker 6: Don't forget to.
Speaker 13: Join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and co Et Sol live in concert at Rito Park. The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences, benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by file Bomb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 18: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is More. Let's pieas need more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Raverra on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Winning the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, you're Jay dat Henry. Get about twelve minutes, maybe about four thirteen minutes. This would look clip real quick, and then we'll kind of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this was this was that clip.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the gray area that tom that Tommy Lloyd was talking about it's again. The bottom line to me is is we don't know anything, and they know more than we did.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's why they're coaches. Which basketball, you can't live in revision as history.
Speaker 19: Because because the games keep coming, keeps coming at you. You know, there have been times I've called a play and it sucked. There's been other times I haven't called a play and it's like magic. There have been times I haven't called a play and it sucked. There's been times I've called a play and it's worked really good. So like, I don't know, I mean, I think that's this is the game.
Speaker 5: The game.
Speaker 19: I mean, you're right, there's no The beautiful thing about this game is there's a lot of gray and and for you guys, you try to make a black and white.
Speaker 5: I understand that. It's simple when you coach and play it. There's a lot of gray. You have to be good in the gray.
Speaker 19: And so you know what, you're gonna live with some You're gonna live with some good things and you're gonna live with some lot of tough things too. You just got to keep going.
Speaker 5: The game doesn't stop.
Speaker 19: You know, you guys can make the game stop because you're analyzing it after in the moment, it doesn't stop. So you know, you make decisions. Sometimes they're regretful, sometimes they're genius. And that's every coach, that's every player, and and the best ones just keep going and probably incrementally get a little bit better at making better decisions and and then so that's how I'm approaching it.
Speaker 2: So was one of was the question about like a play that happened on Tuesday, Like I think it was.
Speaker 4: I think it was just talking about how, you know, they've been they've been having turnovers and you know, you know, and what do you do about that? And and his point was we just keep playing, you know, we you know, we try, Yeah, we try. And I'm reading a bunch of stuff into what he said. It's part of other parts of the press conference. But what I'm reading into it is that they're going to be bad and they're going to be good, and we we want them to always be good and never be bad. Who's the we we as fans media spectators.
Speaker 2: See, I don't know about the media, because we're there to ask questions. Granted, half those questions are stupid because we were trying to listen a response for the story.
Speaker 5: Well, that was the question, Steve. The question was how do you stop these turnovers from having you?
Speaker 2: And you can't. You can't. You can't see exactly, you can't.
Speaker 5: You don't.
Speaker 2: That's and that's kind of a dumb question because you know, it's like, how do you how do you stop the water from the ring ring for the world? You just don't.
Speaker 4: The question was kind of like, how do you play good all the time and never play That.
Speaker 2: Makes no sense, you know, how can you play better? Or whatever? Right?
Speaker 4: And his thing was, we just keep playing in the course of a game, and you know, they move on to the next thing. Well, we're still pissed off about the bad pass. It happened five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: And you hear about the bad past because you you this. That allows for the second guessing, right, like the like the end game in the pass a half court right where they you know, it was just a bad pass ride I think it was, and you're thinking, that's the place. Why did you do that?
Speaker 5: Well, because we don't know why he did that, we gotta call.
Speaker 2: We gotta call, so I get it. Yeah, okay, hey, you're on the your and I on the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 5: Jay?
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Howard, Hey, so you know what I always like to do. I'm not going to go to the game. I'll just watch it somewhere and eat some chicken wings or whatever because that, like I say, I don't have espan a home, but it'll be good. What's so, what's your spread?
Speaker 7: Jay?
Speaker 4: What's spread at It's a it's a Houston by one and a half. So Arizona's getting points at home, but only one and a half.
Speaker 9: I think that's a great spread. These guys, these guys are geniuses. I could they're you know, they do this for a living.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a spread number. That's a spread that's enticing Arizona fans to.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you, Howard, what are you gonna do with that?
Speaker 9: It's gonna be a good game.
Speaker 20: I think the.
Speaker 9: One and a half spread says it says all we need to know.
Speaker 2: Right should I wouldn't touch it to me?
Speaker 4: When you get when you get one and a half point spread, it's it's like who it's to pick them?
Speaker 5: It's who pick them?
Speaker 9: Right? I mean you usually get three at home, but US is really good and we'll upset them whether it's one point or I mean if it'll be an upset of we bring by one or we've been by five.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, that's why I said.
Speaker 4: You know, it's enticing Arizona fan who says we don't lose at home. I'm giving the point because all we got to do is win the game.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's what.
Speaker 9: Happens, Wan, we lost one gate one game in home, right, Yeah, you don't.
Speaker 5: Want to lose anymore.
Speaker 2: I know that there was on got the the Achilles he with the half court stuff and all the physicalness, blah blah blah. But me says they can win this game because they're an underdog. You're not gonna tell j Jayden know that they're better than you, especially at home. And guess what happens. They show up and they right right and.
Speaker 9: And here's one reason that's going to help. Even though Trey Townsend is nothing, he's not slice spread, but at least Tommy knows what to do. Just put him in for a few minutes for the real players to rest.
Speaker 5: He's another body.
Speaker 2: We gotta go. Thanks for the call. We got another call. You got you're on the air and I on the ball. Who's this, Nico? Your ears must have been ringing.
Speaker 8: Nah, Man, it's a good man, Jay. You need to delete Twitter.
Speaker 5: Man, it's I have fun with it. You know.
Speaker 4: I don't take it too I take semi seriously.
Speaker 5: Kay, I probably should, but I can't.
Speaker 8: I mean, what did that get? I mean, I get you this. Yeah, but Jesus, I know, taking something up from me years ago.
Speaker 4: Right, I shouldn't. I shouldn't let low LIFs like that get to me.
Speaker 5: I don't. I shouldn't, but I'm I do and I can't help.
Speaker 2: He's not Betters. Did you make the game the last time you talked to us?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I went to the Texas that game.
Speaker 17: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you found parking fine?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well now we had a reserve parking spot parked by the football stadium.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you were good. You're going tomorrow?
Speaker 8: No, I only had tickets for that thing, Okay, So I'll be honest with you. It wasn't better than football, really, I.
Speaker 2: Don't.
Speaker 8: I had really good Seatson that there were row three. I don't remember what section, but football is just better to me.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, in the in the grand scheme of things, it is.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't go tailgate at a basketball game and stuff like that, and it's it's more of an event than basketball.
Speaker 5: Basketball.
Speaker 4: It's a game. You go to, the game, you come back. Football is more of an event to me.
Speaker 8: Then basketball is like war. People came up to me, Are you in the right seat? I'm like, I know.
Speaker 2: How to read, but you don't look the type. You're about forty years younger.
Speaker 8: No, and I probably wreaked the marijuana.
Speaker 2: But that makes sense. Okay, all right, Nko back, thanks for the call. He always gives us too much information. It was always good information. You know what, Nico, don't never give out your address. No, No, for a lot of reasons. Lo, Nko, we have a warranty, so you're gonna stick with your pick.
Speaker 4: You know, a friend was nearly talking me into, you know, thinking that Arizona, Arizona's gonna win the game.
Speaker 2: I don't don't do that.
Speaker 4: Don't maybe nudged up five percent, you know, maybe fifty five, forty five. I still think Houston wins this game because I tend to think that, for some reason, it's easier for a team that grinds to slow down the team that you know that likes to run the ball than vice versa. You know, Parzone wants to run the ball. There's ways for Houston to put the brakes on them. Uh, you know as opposed to you're not gonna make Houston play out of its element and try and run the ball. So I think, you know, it's just one of those things where they're gonna kind of be hitting a brick wall often and it's gonna be hard.
Speaker 5: For them to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Henry didn't ask you. You're kind of the sensible one in the room.
Speaker 6: I think they're gonna lose.
Speaker 2: So that's the four losses. Yeah before I mean, that's the smart money, right, that's the smart money.
Speaker 6: It's just like Houston's like not the matchup you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the answer right there, because it's it's not if I was State was coming back, you know, how the game could go part maybe Arizona hedge a little, yeah, Texas Tech same thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but Houston this is you know, it's funny because you know, going into the Kansas State game, when the game started, I said, not only to myself but to the guys I hang with, I didn't Arizona lose this game.
Speaker 5: And then they lost, and I was pissed off that they like, what do you doing lose?
Speaker 2: I hear you, But we've seen this. We've seen this movie too many times. I was not surprised at all. In fact, I watched it. I was saying, this is not gonna be good.
Speaker 4: It's the same feel as when Duke was coming in. You just kind of thought, you know what this is, Duke, Well, they're really good and for you to walk in thinking you want you should walk in hoping they're.
Speaker 5: Gonna win instead of walking in knowing they're gonna win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and invariably a time or two Arizona plays against the team. I'm not saying Kansas State isn't good because they're good. Uh Jaginzawas who's six on the bench, comes in and scores twenty four points. And he wasn't on the on the scouttery report, and I'm sure this guy McDaniel was. But you know what I'm saying, you have a game of a lifetime and take what the hell just happens?
Speaker 5: We see?
Speaker 4: Those are the things that were caused me to lose my mind in that game, and like, why is this? Why can't Arizona guard this guy right? Why is he going off like this?
Speaker 20: And it's that thing Arizona, you know, Arizona always football always makes thequarterback looked like Joe Montana. Arizona basketball always makes a guy.
Speaker 5: Look like Larry Burr. Sure you know.
Speaker 4: And it's like, yeah, but you know something is in the matchup that allows that to happen that we don't Again, we don't know about.
Speaker 5: And Tommy, you know, Okay, they didn't. They didn't have that guy doing that.
Speaker 4: And and in Kansas State figured something out that said keep giving that guy the ball because they don't have this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we'll see what happens. One, we'll call you. We can do it. We can do it. Hello, you're on the air. And nine the ball. We got about three minutes to make it quick.
Speaker 9: Allright, this is Robert.
Speaker 10: I think we can beat Houston to malls. And the reason we can't beat him here they're.
Speaker 21: Not a dominant, dominant team.
Speaker 22: And one thing they have to do is.
Speaker 21: Make sure kJ Lewis does not handle the ball on offense. The guy that turnover machine, they don't steal it from him, he loses it himself. And name for Caleb Love, he's not shooting, but that guy they have the dumbest turnovers more more most unfort turnovers. I think of any team in college basketb I.
Speaker 2: Am go ahead, all right, you go ahead. I have a friend who's a good friend, and he's a pain in the ass, and he's a cranky guy. You must be my second favorite friend. He's a cranky guy.
Speaker 22: Probably no, but I you know, if a walker gets in there and does the things on the boards, and Desert goes in there, and we can stay out of Paul trouble, and if tel Oorzo learns how to stay in front of the guy.
Speaker 21: He's depending instead of behind from behind trying to tap the ball out of his hands, we might have a chance. I think we're gonna play him really well, and I hope it's close. And I think we're gonna win tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Robert, well appreciate it. We're gonna say really sick. So he just gave me five ifs, and he.
Speaker 4: Said, and I still think, well, look, first of all, I think it's gonna be a really good game.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't think he's the team.
Speaker 2: This is why you have season tickets, right, and this is and and this is why.
Speaker 9: This is packed.
Speaker 4: This is big twelve basketball. These games are hard, they're grinds. They're both teams on the four are really good. Both teams can win this game. If somebody plays their best and somebody's a little off, that team's gonna win. And it's just a matter of how do you play that day, and it shouldn't affect how you're gonna play the next game. I'd like to think though, that Arizona will be a little you know, after losing on Tuesday, they're playing at home, they're underdogs, that they might have a little more bounce in their step, and I think we'll feel that tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a given they're gonna play hard, they're gonna play well. I think they'll play well. McHale's gonna be rocking. Right. That's two advantages too. Now they have to overcome a good Houston.
Speaker 5: Team, right will they right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: You know again, if right, let's say Caleb Love has another one of those twenty seven point games, then they're gonna win. But if Houston puts a guy on him then and Caleb scores twelve, then they're probably gonna lose. And and and it's not all on Caleb, you know, as as Roberts said, kJ Lewis can't be in. They're making bad, you know, dumb turnover you know. Again in the press conference, Tommy said, you've got to be tough with the ball. If you're not tough with the ball tomorrow, we're gonna lose. Remember those gray areas. He's gonna have turnovers. He's gonna be overcoming it with defense.
Speaker 5: Or making some plays offensively.
Speaker 2: Expect the gray areas not just in my hair, your hair, and a lot of the hair is in that building.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna be fun. Thank you, Henry