Speaker 1: Ripped.
Speaker 2: You need advice, so you don't have.
Speaker 3: Come running Just as fast as we can.
Speaker 4: Shooter's gonna help come man.
Speaker 5: Dix is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 6: Now, Tom Martine, Hello, Tom Martino here, welcome to the show. Three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Here to help you anyway we can. All you have to do is give us a call at three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Remember we are here to help you, and that's what we do. Today is car day, and do we have our car gens up? I don't have the the studio pick up yet, but we will get it up there soon. I take it, working on it, Mark major, Mark, We got a common one in today.
Speaker 2: Tell me that hasn't been a while.
Speaker 6: Chandra courtavon though, Hi Chandra, okay, Hi Tom, Well you gotta turn your mic on.
Speaker 7: Chandra.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm a novice.
Speaker 6: Hello, Well you're a common woman. You come to bask in our glory.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 8: I'm basking right now.
Speaker 6: Oh he's basking in Doc's glory. Yeah, his hair, His Doc's a stick. Keep Doc away from her.
Speaker 9: First Doc says, his eye have never dyed my hair. That's what they talked about.
Speaker 2: Can you believe it? So, Sandra, what brings you to the show? Well, I've been listening to.
Speaker 8: For about thirty years and I just kind of wanted to see what was going on, you know, like see what everybody looked like.
Speaker 2: And that's so cool. Sorry, I didn't make it in there for you, because come in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, take one.
Speaker 11: Look at walk and try to turn around and go away.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, hey, he's nice.
Speaker 6: Chandra, that's really nice. And Chandra or Chandra Chandra? Okay, Chandra, So Chandra, how long you've been.
Speaker 8: In dew We moved here in the seventies, Okay, I don't have native status.
Speaker 6: Well you saw a lot of changes. You saw a lot of changes in Denver.
Speaker 8: Well you aren't kidding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where'd you come from?
Speaker 8: I was born in New York Western so not a city girl, and then lived in Illinois and New Jersey and then came here after a divorce my parents, not mine.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Feel free to chime in with your opinion on things.
Speaker 10: We have.
Speaker 6: Kevin Colkin with us from Sheridan Auto Tech. Hey, keV, what's new in the auto biz?
Speaker 12: Oh, same old, same old time. Yeah, still still fighting some parts, but you know it's getting better every week, every month.
Speaker 6: So I just went through fourteen dollars in body work two months.
Speaker 12: Yep, two months. That's not bad for two months. I mean that's down from probably six months a year.
Speaker 2: You know why it's year.
Speaker 10: You probably you bought your own parts ahead.
Speaker 2: I bought the parts ahead of time from them smart.
Speaker 6: Then they called me when the parts were and they're really nice people, but and and you know so, but but then then everything has to be calibery. You had to make a long story short. There was a short from rabbits after the accident. After they repaired it, it sat on their lots so long rabbits got into it and so they had so when we drove it away, there were part problems and then they found it was chewed wires. They said we had a dead battery. Now I did check the battery. It was four years old. After they fixed the bad wires, it worked fine. They said to get a new better So I bought a new battery. Anywhare four years old? I figure on a factory battery, right, yeah, so I bought one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I really.
Speaker 6: Needed it because after they fixed the wires, that worked great. But since I had already purchased it, I didn't want to take it back. I just put it in and everything's working great. So anyway, welcome to the show, keV. And what if we had to pick something that's hard to get, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 12: For auto maintenance and mainly older cars, you know, the the fifteen to twenty year old car. It's we're on a line searching for stuff a lot. You know, some of the electronic parts they just stopped making them.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I run a mind people we can.
Speaker 6: We had jam lines every single day, every single day except one, and now today it's starting out slowly. But Kachina, we ended the show with many people that wanted to talk.
Speaker 2: We can get them back on.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you if they're we're going to get them back on, but I certainly promised I would take them first up and our number three oh three seven to one three talk when we're in the studio. But three oh three Martino works all the time. Three oh three six two seven eight four six six and that works all the time.
Speaker 2: Hey, have you been.
Speaker 9: Watching it all this Lincoln Riley trial that started today. It is absolutely the saddest thing I've ever seen. Explain it, Mark, Well, it's horrible. She was out for a jog. She was running seven miles per hour. And the reason I say that it's interesting she had a garment watch on that actually helped find her dead body. And it was actually ticking away, you know when you exercise your heart rates up. The watch knew the minute she died, the minute she got knocked out. It's so funny thinking of the technology we have right now helped find this illegal immigrant that literally murdered this poor college girl. And the trials absolutely crazy. And I hope they hang the bastard.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, Mark.
Speaker 6: Why need I tell you how I really think that. I mean, I think a lot of people feel this way. But whether illegal or not, I mean, the guy's a murderer. A murderer, do.
Speaker 9: You think, Yeah, But he's invisible here. That's why I bring that up. You know, he's invisible. That's the problem with these people here. We have no idea where they're from, who they are, what they've done in the past, were they in prison right before they came here. I mean, I realize things are going to change now. But we have a big problem right now, and this case brings it back up. This guy was actually picked up by the cops two times before, because I believe it was the sanctuary City Atlanta where he got in trouble. It might have been another one. I'm not sure, but the bottom line was they didn't turn him over for deportation to Ice, and this woman ended up dead and her family changed forever.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's said, well, that's why this has become the post a child, or he's become post a child for deportation.
Speaker 6: Now, listen, did common Woman not want to be seen on camera for our stream?
Speaker 13: Tommy?
Speaker 2: No, I just wondered if he purposely shut her out? Now, don't I don't set it up. Kelly sets it up.
Speaker 6: Kelly's got an eye like nevermind. Now I got to change all my ads again because she just I heard that. Oh I love you, Kelly, You're fine now let me now, I'll change it. I still don't see common Woman. Okay, it doesn't have her sit never mind, Susan, it doesn't matter anyway.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show. And I want to go to.
Speaker 6: The phones, and we don't have phones right now, So Here's what we do have, though. I have plenty of texts and I want to get to them. So some of them were left over from yesterday. Does anyone they want to know having it? But this is a consumer Oh, I do have calls. Let me go to those. But we do have some texts. Get ready for this one. They want to know what we think about Kennedy being love Jay. But real quick, did you see the email from Anna yesterday? I don't want to talk about it, but did you see it? The one that said she was being attacked?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: No, this one's even better. No, no, I would you send that to me? I didn't see it. Wait, Hey, she's honest.
Speaker 6: I'll give her that, Bill, you have it in your inbox. Okay, thank you, Bill. This is a follow up from yesterday. So now let me let me get right to it. You said you bought a home and the covenants are being unfairly enforced.
Speaker 2: Is that it? In a nutshell?
Speaker 7: Bill? I apologize, okay for what?
Speaker 14: No, it's not. It's you know, like so covenants. That's just one example. I just feel that the developer is taken advantage of the metro district. He created two metro districts for the community. Yeah, and I feel that he's taken advantage.
Speaker 6: Can you give me an idea of how, because when when a developer forms a metro district, And for those listening, a metro district is a municipality that has taxing authority for those who live in the district, it's got to be approved. But it's not your candy store you have no control over. So tell me how a developer is taking advantage of it?
Speaker 14: Well, and that's the piece that and again a lot of it. I just want to make sure that I get.
Speaker 2: Well, you called in. This is pretty this, this is pretty good. So I need to know.
Speaker 9: Hey, Timer is recap it real quick. I don't even remember something about his landscaping.
Speaker 2: No, no, Well, bottom line is this Okay. Either Bill has a personal.
Speaker 6: Problem and he's pissed off and now he's bringing up what I call universal problems or there are universal problems and it just so happens to be affecting him.
Speaker 2: But whatever it is, I need to know what they are.
Speaker 6: He says he lives in a Franktown subdivision, and he says the developer is taking advantage of two metro districts.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got that. Now give us specifics.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 14: For example, budget the metro District one comes up with fees that are going to be charged to the homeowners.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 14: District two is represented by residents and they're basically the ones that are writing the check for that budget, the budget that he has given. And again I don't are the districts?
Speaker 2: May I ask a few questions? Bill? Are these metro districts over lapping?
Speaker 7: They are there?
Speaker 14: One is the one that run by the developer and he comes up with fees.
Speaker 6: Bill, what is number? What is district number? What is district.
Speaker 2: Number one for? What is it for? What was its stated purpose?
Speaker 14: It's the one that runs that that runs the operations?
Speaker 2: What is that? Makes no sense?
Speaker 6: Okay, there are no metro districts that run operations. So you have is it a water system, a sewer system? Is it parks?
Speaker 2: Is it? What?
Speaker 6: What is the stated purpose? What's the name of the district?
Speaker 14: Fox Hill Metro District one?
Speaker 6: Okay, so Fox Hill Metro District one, what is its stated purpose? Mark you you want to look at or Dmitry maybe you can Fox Hill Metro District one. Okay, go ahead, I'm listening, sir, go ahead. What what is it stated purpose?
Speaker 14: And again I don't have all the information. But they run the water system.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. Now okay, is it water in sewer or just fresh water?
Speaker 14: Just fresh water?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 14: Now they also you know, they're the ones that built the roads. Is the developer built the roads?
Speaker 2: Well that no? Hold on?
Speaker 9: So fox Shiel one is mostly water and it looks like landscaping.
Speaker 2: Okay, it does it say that? Mark?
Speaker 9: Well, it's got landscaping guidelines and then water information and then you know, hold on.
Speaker 6: The reason it has landscaping landscaping requirements is because they're because they're supplying water. But it's a water district. Okay, that's what I'm getting at. So so it's not unusual to have a water district charge fees. Now I want to get to specifics. How is the developer taking advantage of this?
Speaker 14: It's all murky, like the reports that he's supposed to be giving to the county, to the metro district too, which are the residents. And there's not enough information.
Speaker 6: How much what fees are you paying for the water system?
Speaker 14: And again it's not just the water.
Speaker 9: System, no, it's definitely tom it's definitely not. I'm going to send you this PDF from five sales. They actually are over the architectural design of the landscaping.
Speaker 2: I mean they're over the landscaping.
Speaker 6: I know they are because they supply water, so they dictate what landscaping you can have.
Speaker 2: That's not unusual.
Speaker 6: I understand that. I totally understand it. So send it to me, Mark.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 9: So they even go into design elements of the house fireplaces, windows, trim, roofing.
Speaker 2: Well, that's weird. Now, that's totally weird.
Speaker 6: So I've never heard of a metro district enforcing covenants.
Speaker 14: It's a municipality idea, you were saying.
Speaker 6: But municipal districts normally do not do not get into the covenants.
Speaker 2: That's usually a subdivision thing.
Speaker 9: I want to we need to take a break. I just sent you the document. Look at it.
Speaker 6: What about really quick? Here Fox Hill metro District number two.
Speaker 2: What are they I'll look it up. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 14: Okay, they're the ones that they're basically the residents and they're the ones that write the checks.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, okay, that makes no sense either. Bill.
Speaker 6: You don't form a metro district made up of residents.
Speaker 2: To write checks.
Speaker 6: See I fear Bill doesn't, and Bill, I mean this in the nicest possible way.
Speaker 2: You have no idea what you're talking about. Now. You might feel you're being taken advantage of, and.
Speaker 6: Maybe you are, and maybe this is a sham, but you have no idea what you're talking about. If you want us to look into this, we'll look into it. But right now, all you're saying is there are two metro districts and the developers taking advantage of us. MM, well, you have no specifics whatsoever. I'm gonna come back and we'll get more. I'm Tom Martino. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up, free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, I'm Tom Martino you're troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Okay, we're going to uh go to the phones and continue this.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 6: Bottom line is this okay, bill says these metro districts are not being run correctly.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 6: So I don't know what specifically you're talking about, and I don't know what This is the first time I ever heard of covenants being controlled by a metro district.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 6: I mean, and they control water that's common and metro district too. I can find no information on did anyone find metro district number two?
Speaker 2: But you see in the same kind of document, which is even a.
Speaker 15: Stranger Okay, it's one hundred and eighteen page document for both number one and number two.
Speaker 2: Does it specify what number two is? Guys, I haven't gotten that far.
Speaker 9: I mean it really no, it's weird, it's all combined into one.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, whatever it is is this.
Speaker 6: Metro districts are controlled by the people. They They usually have boards and they have assist there there there are certain standards they must adhere to, and you can complain to the state about it. I mean it is a municipality. Okay, so.
Speaker 14: What office can I complain?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going to find out right now, thank you.
Speaker 6: Uh. I'm going to find out right now because I'm just searching it. Because metro districts, like I said, they are literally governments, so they don't just get to run away and violate rights. But I have a feeling if you're upset about fees, everyone's upset about fees all metro districts.
Speaker 2: Okay, everyone, Now do they have a board?
Speaker 1: They do?
Speaker 14: I mean what's run by both boards at one point? Or ran by the developer?
Speaker 6: If okay, how much of the subdivision is sold?
Speaker 14: Approximately seventy five Okay, now it's going to be turning over.
Speaker 6: But here's what I want to know. When you say run by the developer, what do you mean.
Speaker 14: There is a board and is ran by the developer?
Speaker 6: What does that mean? How many members are on the board.
Speaker 14: There's Metro District one five members.
Speaker 2: So here's what I want to know.
Speaker 6: One of the members is that one of the members is the developers?
Speaker 2: That right, right?
Speaker 6: Then how can he run the board if he's one member?
Speaker 7: The other one is his wife?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Okay, members his daughter? Oh fourth member I believe is an employee. I don't okay, Okay, I don't know about the fifth member.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, then that that sounds like a control to me. Here's what I just want to tell you. There's an office called dot com Colorado Department of Local Affairs DOLA.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect.
Speaker 6: Now, according to DOLA, metro districts must file annual budgets, audits, and other documents. It must be available to the public. Also, the counties usually oversee metro districts within their county and they can review this stuff, is right now, resident voting rights. Metro districts must have a board elected by members, So I don't know how they got elected or if there were, you know, and so you have to really look into it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: Now, there's also something called the Special District Association of Colorado. By the way, I'm looking all this up like anyone can, and it doesn't control them, but it offers.
Speaker 2: Guidance and training and all of that. Okay.
Speaker 6: And and then here's another one. Are you writing this down? Oh yeah, okay, Colorado Revised Statutes under Title thirty two. All that that entire that entire area of Title thirty two deals with special districts. Okay, okay, and it sets all the requirements, so you sound pretty thorough. If you want to go through the the CRS title thirty two, you can read about what they're supposed to do and really, you know, maybe this guy is doing stuff thinking he can get away with it. When what Okay, when I was developing subdivisions, we use the covenants and local controls by board members of covenants and hoa's.
Speaker 2: Uh, But metro districts were only for.
Speaker 6: The actual utilities, fire protection stuff like that.
Speaker 2: We we did not have them all. It just sounds weird to me. Now, I want to know you can listen.
Speaker 6: I know you don't have a lot of time, but I want Katschina to try to get on for us if she can. I would like to get the guy Hoa Stan, the Hoa Man. I'd like to see if Stan the Hoa Man knows anything about these this new move to put stuff into metro districts, because it seems really really weird to me. So hang on if you want, or just listen and we'll explore that further. Meanwhile, I want to talk to Christy. She has an apartment with Mold. She says Christy. Welcome.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 16: Christy?
Speaker 2: Hi, Christy, what's happening?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 17: I discovered mold in my apartment back in June of this year.
Speaker 6: And I okay, and where did you find the mold? Where did you find the mold?
Speaker 13: So I was.
Speaker 18: Spring cleaning and I found the mold in between a pantry in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: There's a little.
Speaker 19: Crack, and that's where I found it.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so keep going.
Speaker 17: So then I called the landlord and I told him right away, but he was scheduled to come and get That was on the twenty sixth of June, the phone call, and then he was scheduled to pick up my rent on July third.
Speaker 20: That's when I wrote a letter.
Speaker 17: Concerning all the issues in the apartment and the mold.
Speaker 18: I gave it to him, I signed it, and then he came.
Speaker 19: Back the following month. He never did anything about it.
Speaker 20: He came back the following month.
Speaker 6: Well, hold on, when you say the following month. You notified him in June and he came back in July.
Speaker 17: Oh no, I gave them an actual formal letter in July.
Speaker 6: Okay, hold on, Christy, and I'll come right back to you. Okay, you wrote a letter. What did you say in the letter?
Speaker 21: I recently discovered mold by.
Speaker 18: The pantry in between the pantry and.
Speaker 13: The bathroom.
Speaker 18: And asked him if he would take care of it because there was some previous there was a sewage.
Speaker 22: Spill, and then there was also.
Speaker 18: A some water damage in the kitchen that he never had remediated.
Speaker 6: All right, hang on, I'm Tom Martinez. We'll come back to this and more. Three three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Frankedran the real estate man.
Speaker 2: We'll do an evaluation of your home to.
Speaker 6: See what it's worth, what it will sell for, what you'll net, even what you can buy is all free of charge and complimentary. That's three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two Frank durand the real Estateman dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help you'll think you're his only customer.
Speaker 6: When you choose Frank durand the real Estateman dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey, Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Christy said that she notified her landlord there was some mold. By the way, mold is something to be concerned about. Most of the time, it's not toxic or deadly. Some people have sensitivities to it, and it's easily cleaned most of the time and removed with some clarox.
Speaker 2: But you got to stop the reason it was there.
Speaker 6: If you still have water feeding it and it's still dark and nasty, you'll still get mold. But if you remove the food source, which is water, it will go away. If you take the clarox or some kind of kills and kill it. Christy told her landlord in June, hey, or in July, she wrote a letter. So then what happened after that? Christy?
Speaker 18: Okay, so he took the letter. I have I have videotaped all of my interactions with him. So in that on that gage, why third, he says, I'll be back in a few days to try to take care of the mold if I can.
Speaker 6: Okay, So where does it stand right now? What are you calling about today? Because we got we have right now on all of July, August, September, October, and half of November. This is four and a half months later. What's going on? Did he ever take care of it?
Speaker 18: He didn't take care of it right away?
Speaker 14: He came.
Speaker 2: When did he take When did he take care of it? Christy?
Speaker 20: Okay?
Speaker 18: So he had a remediation team remove it on September twenty fourth, of which they were done on the twenty sixth, But they found.
Speaker 19: New mold okay, in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Okay. And what did they do with the new mold?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: So they removed that mold but found new mold. Did they tell you that?
Speaker 20: The remediation team told me. They did tell him.
Speaker 6: That, yes, okay. So now where does it stand.
Speaker 18: He's trying to use a constructive eviction on me because I called the city.
Speaker 2: Well that's okay.
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't want to live there if there's if there's mold, so he's going to let you out of the least he's going to let you out of the lease.
Speaker 20: Right, well as it stands.
Speaker 6: Yes, may I ask another question? I just I really need to ask this. Did you withhold any rent?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 20: That was what I was going to do.
Speaker 13: That's a yes or that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a yes or no? Did you withhold rent?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 6: Good excellent, because if you did, they can get.
Speaker 2: Rid of you for that.
Speaker 6: You're not allowed to withhold rent unless you specifically use the money for There's a whole litany of what you have to do first. Then when you withhold the rent, you have to use it to make the repairs. So you didn't withhold rent, so it doesn't get complicated. So what do you mean then, if you didn't withhold the rent and you're simply wanting him to fix it, what do you mean he used constructive eviction? Constructive eviction is something a tenant uses on themselves. So how did he use constructive eviction? What do you mean?
Speaker 18: Well, he refused to take my rent and give me a new lease?
Speaker 2: Oh, hold on, when was your lease up?
Speaker 19: I have a month to month with him?
Speaker 2: Oh so refuse to give you a new lease? Well you never had ogative?
Speaker 6: Well she never had a lease, So what do you mean he refused to give you a new lease.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 18: Well, he increased my rent after I gave him the letter.
Speaker 20: About the mold.
Speaker 6: Okay, he's allowed on a month's to month to increase your rent with a certain notice. He has to give you a certain notice. But what I mean is how I don't This is what I don't understand. He refused to take your rent but raised your rent. Well, that doesn't make sense to me. What does that mean? So he's saying I'm raising your rent, but I don't want you to pay me. Yes, okay, So he let me get this straight, so, Christy, So then what difference does it make if he raised your rent if he won't take your rent?
Speaker 18: Well, I asked for a new lease as he raised my rent, but he refused.
Speaker 2: But you never had a lease, So I don't understand a new leaf. So you asked her out.
Speaker 6: You hold on, Christy, you want a lease period right because you never had one? Is that so you wanted to kind of protect yourself, right?
Speaker 18: Well I did, but it ended after the six months was up, and then it goes.
Speaker 20: To months to month.
Speaker 6: Okay, now I understand, okay, okay, okay, under the old lie. How much notice did he have to give you on a month to month? Was there a sixty day notice or a thirty day notice or anything like that in that lease.
Speaker 1: On?
Speaker 18: No, it just came to the six months expired. That's when it goes to month's month.
Speaker 2: I understand that.
Speaker 6: But if the previous rent, if the previous thing had some notice requirements, they would be still effective. On what he has to do to give you notice. I'm not sure how much notice he had to give you to raise the rent. We're going to ask our real estate attorney. But he was Did he ever give you notice or did he just spring it on you when you went to pay rent?
Speaker 18: He did a month after I told him about the mold?
Speaker 2: Okay, so hold on.
Speaker 6: Then in August he gave you notice he was raising the rent.
Speaker 2: Correct, When did he say the rent would be raised?
Speaker 20: I'm sorry?
Speaker 18: When did he think the rent would be raised?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he told you in August, so he said, hey, Christy, I am going to raise your rent. When in September it sounds like he covered his base. It's thirty days he did, Christy. The bad news is this, he gave you notice and he raised your rent and he was allowed to do that, and I think Mark was correct when he said he probably figures, you know what, I'm not going to chase Mold. I'm not going to do this. I don't want her there. Hey, one other question.
Speaker 9: He never raised your rent before, right, because you were in a six month lease. Were you there prior to that six months or no?
Speaker 20: Yes, I've been there five years.
Speaker 9: Did he okay, did he raise Listen to the question, did he raise the rent more than one time in a twelve month period?
Speaker 6: Yes, he can't do that. Well, hold On, Okay, when did that new law take effect? I don't know, but I mean it's retroactive, so well, it can't be retroactive. I'm not using the right word.
Speaker 9: But if you're in a lease at the time, like a five year lease for example, that's what I can't do it.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: So here's the thing, though, Christy, hold On, you said he changed your he he raised your rent more than twice in one year.
Speaker 2: When did he do that? What year?
Speaker 18: Well, that would have been this last year.
Speaker 9: So when you signed hold On, when you signed the six month lease, he raised your rent from prior correct?
Speaker 18: Correct?
Speaker 9: And then after the six month lease and you went month to month. He raised your rent again after the mold comment. Correct, he can't do that.
Speaker 6: Let's talk to Brad O'Brien and find out.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, but the other thing is. Here's the other thing though, Tom, think about this. What does it matter if she was on month to month. He can still get rid of her.
Speaker 6: No he if he can't technically raise her rent, You're right, Mark, he can raise it. I mean he can still excuse me a victor, or say I don't want you there anymore. But he has to give her a certain amount of notice depending on how long she lived there. We really need Brad because what sounds logical isn't always logical.
Speaker 2: Christy.
Speaker 6: Let's get you accurate information right after this. Let's get If we can't get to Brad this hour, we may have to call you back, Christy, and do it right after the eleven o'clock Hold on, go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one. Help you'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talk seven one three A two five five. Okay, uh so listen tonight. I am so excited about tonight, by the way, and the fight going.
Speaker 2: What are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: I have my timer set, I'm going to I got the reminders on.
Speaker 2: This Tyson thing is going to be outrageous.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 6: I don't know who's gonna win though, I mean, I would think Mike with the experience and stuff, but this other guy is not.
Speaker 2: He's not a shlock.
Speaker 9: It's like a twenty six year old literally versus a almost sixty years and.
Speaker 6: He's a giant. This guy's a giant man and he before.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not.
Speaker 6: Like people always say, oh, I use a YouTuber and they don't understand that he's fought before.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think he. I think he knocks Tyson out. Honestly, do you I don't know how much.
Speaker 11: Do you think experience has as opposed to youth.
Speaker 6: Experience has a lot, But there's just so much you can do.
Speaker 9: There's a lot like this, gentleman, if I went to fight George Burns.
Speaker 6: Mark, Mark, listen, you're younger than Tyson, he would kick your ass, would kick the crap out of me. Okay, So it's not all about my age. It's not all about age. It's about conditioning. So I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I mean this, My.
Speaker 9: Only point was at some point it's definitely all about age.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that line is.
Speaker 6: The longer it goes, it depends on the individuals, don't you think, Well, of course it does.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying when Tyson's eighty, at some point it's smart to so.
Speaker 17: And Tyson has way more wisdom than the twenty seven year old.
Speaker 2: Go Tyson, you know what it like?
Speaker 6: That all depends, But I think there's nothing you can do about about age at a certain point.
Speaker 2: Just look over at Doc.
Speaker 6: For God's sakes, don't you think that the longer it goes, the more fatigue it is going to affect.
Speaker 16: We should have you.
Speaker 9: And Doc actually box for you.
Speaker 6: A lot has to do with conditioning. A lot has to do with conditioning. I mean, look at Mark. He's a young man.
Speaker 2: Here, we look at his condition you shut up? Okay, Well he always makes fun of me.
Speaker 6: I'm just giving it bad. No one can ever fault me for that. By the way, seriously, Chrissy, we're gonna get back to you with our attorney right after the breaking. You know, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage? Dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Ripped News need advice. You don't have.
Speaker 10: Come run inches as fast as.
Speaker 4: The cam shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 5: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 6: No Tom Martine, Hey, I'm Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talk seven one.
Speaker 2: Three eight two five five.
Speaker 6: What's going on in your life today? This hour brought to you by Wave eight Wealth Management, my wealth management company for financial advisement. I decided to do this after I explored the industry. I got pissed off about six years go and started this and then made it available to the public recently and you can be part of it. So here's all I say. If you think you're happy and everything's great, that's wonderful. If you have any ideas at all that you're being overcharged, or you're not getting the performance you can, or you're not getting the personal attention, I will tell you ninety eight percent of the time financial.
Speaker 2: Advisors use bigger advisors.
Speaker 6: And they don't actually help you with your money. Okay, they say they do, but they don't. It's just the bottom line. So if you want someone to personally who will invest right along with you, one hundred percent of my money's in the company, you are welcome to get a free review. Three oh three seven seven to one help seven seven one four three five seven. I pledged you one hundred percent personal attention with our firm and uh babysitting your money. That's what we promise right along with mine. So uh again, three oh three seven seven one help, I don't fool around to this stuff. Three oh three seven seven one four three five. Or go to Wave eight the number eight Capital dot Com Waveeightcapital dot Com, or invest with Martino dot Com. I have Kevin coalkin with us from Sheridan Auto Tech. We have a common woman in we call them common of course, Chandra Cordevano. And then we're gonna go to our expert, Brad O'Brien. He's a real estate attorney and he helps us so much with so many things. We'll give out his contact in a minute here. But this is a weird he knows so much about this. But we always think we know the answer, and there's always some you know, it's ends or butts, depending on this situation. So Christy lived in an apartment for about five years. And Christy, you had a series of six month leases, Is that right, Christy?
Speaker 20: Yeah, I did a couple of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, this latest six month.
Speaker 6: Lease expired, the latest one you had expired when in July or when when.
Speaker 21: Well I was looking.
Speaker 19: I'm actually in the hotel for the remediation right.
Speaker 6: Now, and no, but I but I just need to know this. I don't want to complicate that right now. I want to ask you, Brad, some basic questions. Your latest six month lease expired when, well, that's what.
Speaker 20: I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 19: I'm looking up the dates because I'm having trouble.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm sorry, okay, but it was earlier this year, right, yes it was, and then you had been there.
Speaker 2: About five years.
Speaker 6: Your latest six month lease expired earlier this year. You went months to month after that, right, okay? And when and when you went month to month? You uh told him about some mold in July, you wrote a letter to him. In September, he had some people come out and mitigate media, mitigated and remediated, I say, but they said they found more mold. And you said to the landlord, hey, there's more mold. Then he raised your rent. When when did he raise your rent? He told you back in July he was going to raise your rent in September or in August. Right, he gave you thirty days notice.
Speaker 19: Yeah, in August is when he gave me the letter for rent.
Speaker 2: Increasing in September.
Speaker 18: For September. Yeah, and he actually just real quick he left a note on my door that said he did have a new lease for me when he was there to pick up the rent. But later on that evening he rescinded and said he wasn't going to give me a new lease and he didn't want my rent.
Speaker 6: So, Christy, why didn't he take your rent for September? Did you offer him the original amount or the new raised amount?
Speaker 18: I offered him the new raised amount, but he said, because you called the city.
Speaker 19: He got a call from a city the same day on September.
Speaker 2: Serve, I get it.
Speaker 6: So he said, even though you're going to pay the rent increase, which, by the way, if you count that increase in September, when was your last increase? When was that last increase? You said it was when you signed that six month lease before, right, when was that?
Speaker 20: So it was earlier on in the year.
Speaker 18: Probably I'm going to stay closer to January.
Speaker 6: Okay, So back in January he raised your rent, and then he tried to raise it again in September, and he wouldn't take your money even if you wanted to pay the increased amount because he was pissed off at you at complaining about the mold.
Speaker 2: That's it in a nutshell, right, I think.
Speaker 15: There's something else. Wow, Christy, he didn't take your rent? Is that because he wants you to move out?
Speaker 20: Though?
Speaker 2: Of course? To me, yeah, he wants your out of there. Man, Yeah, he told her. Yeah, he said. Did he say you're being evicted?
Speaker 18: He didn't say that, but he keeps wanting me to take my things out because then he said, I have possessions of the apartment.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't understand.
Speaker 6: He never evicted you, but he wouldn't take your rent, correct, and you never got a notice to leave, but he said we want you out of there, correct? And what did you say, I'm not leaving? What did you say?
Speaker 18: Yeah, well, basically I said I just want the apartment safe and habitable.
Speaker 6: And then what did he say? Let's just go back and forth. What did he say?
Speaker 18: Okay, so he's playing games.
Speaker 20: He kept saying, well, you know the team is in here.
Speaker 18: They did what they did. But then he gave me a new letter saying that they found they suspect new mold and that I had.
Speaker 20: To get my thing out.
Speaker 18: But my things are not in because my things are in a way and they're.
Speaker 20: Not in a way.
Speaker 6: Okay, but Christy, hold on, So when he said you had to leave, you said you're.
Speaker 2: In a motel right now? Yes, who's paying for that?
Speaker 20: He is?
Speaker 6: And so what are you calling about today? I thought you said you were being evicted.
Speaker 18: No, he's trying to constructively evict me.
Speaker 20: See he's trying.
Speaker 6: You've never gotten note, you've never gotten notice of an eviction ever.
Speaker 2: In fact, he's paying for your hotel.
Speaker 6: I mean, I want to get my attorney on, but I don't know what to ask him.
Speaker 2: What do you want to ask him? You're not being evicted?
Speaker 18: Yeah, he's if I get here's what he's doing, though.
Speaker 20: He wants me to get my things out so he can't let me back in.
Speaker 2: How do you know that?
Speaker 21: Because he's telling his attorney that.
Speaker 2: Did he did his attorney tell you that.
Speaker 3: They want me out, they don't.
Speaker 16: Want to let me back in.
Speaker 6: Okay, they told you, they told you you're not coming back. Did they say, get the rest of your stuff, you're not coming back.
Speaker 18: They they get your stuff out and they want me to break the leaf. Did they say they.
Speaker 6: Said, we want you to get your stuff out and we want you to break the lease. That's what they said to you.
Speaker 18: They are suggesting that they want me to break the leaf.
Speaker 6: Yes, did they say they will let you out? Well, you said you didn't have a lease, So now I'm more confused than ever.
Speaker 2: So well, well, it.
Speaker 20: Still has to be honored month to month.
Speaker 18: Yes, even though I don't have a technical lease for a certain date, it still has to be honored.
Speaker 20: Month to month.
Speaker 6: You know, Tom Brad's been listening to this, right, Okay, okay, because I I am so confused by this thing. They want her I know they want her out, that's what she says. But they're paying for her hotel, they're paying her to.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's debatable.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, So they want your stuff out of the apartment, but they didn't say they were. They said they wanted it out because they're doing mitigation.
Speaker 18: Right, Yes, but I also the attorney. His attorney did say that they want me to go ahead and agree to breaking the leaf.
Speaker 2: But but okay, I get it.
Speaker 6: But do you realize it's not unusual for mold remitation companies to want personal belongings out of there.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 19: But I'm not in the way he's claiming I'm in the way. I'm not.
Speaker 6: They're talking about spore contamination.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be in the way.
Speaker 6: They're trying to protect your stuff.
Speaker 20: It's been in there. They found mold from previous years that's been in there.
Speaker 19: My stuff is already contaminated.
Speaker 2: Okay, I give.
Speaker 6: A Brad O'Brien, you want to weigh in on this, because I don't know any more than you do right now, Well, I.
Speaker 23: Would just say that it sounds like the landlord and their attorney are trying to get her to voluntarily terminate the lease. She has the right to where they don't at this point, but you don't have to. You know, they're trying to get you to do something that they don't have the right to compel you to de terminate the lease.
Speaker 9: But it best, But it best because she's on month to month. How long would it take to get her out there if they go through the proper way.
Speaker 23: Twenty one days? Now, there is something you want to have an ability statute about not retaliating. But if the landlord has a good faith reason for not renewing it's apart from her having reported a habitability issue.
Speaker 2: Then then so what other reason? What other reason would he have to have.
Speaker 23: Just some good faith reason?
Speaker 2: What about he doesn't want to rent to her anymore.
Speaker 23: She says, she's been there for five years, right, yeah, okay, so this now, this change that we have this year where kind of there has been there for a year or longer, has to be given a ninety day notice of non renewal and it has to be a good just cause for the non renewal. So she's entitled to that protection.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, wow, so you can stay there.
Speaker 6: So that's why they want her to voluntarily do it, because they don't want to give her ninety.
Speaker 9: Days and pay for her hotel for the next ninety days or however long it takes.
Speaker 23: Well, the hard part is not the ninety days. It's they have to have just cause.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you're right, And what would be just cause? But causes? What if you're selling your house or something, right.
Speaker 23: Selling it, wanting to convert it to something else, like maybe they want to convert it to condo, They want to do a substantial renovation. So there's some pre defined things that are substantial like that. But not just because they don't think they don't like this particular tenant.
Speaker 2: Christy, you're in it. You're in the driver's seat on this.
Speaker 6: Hey, Christy, do you want to keep renting there at the new amount. Well, hold on, hold on, Mark, Wait, I'm asking her a question, Mark, I'm asking a question. First, I know what question you're going to ask. I want to do it in order. Are you willing to pay the new increased amount rent? I?
Speaker 13: Yes, I was really Okay.
Speaker 6: Now the question is, Brad, does the landlord have a right to raise the rent if he already raised it let's say in January.
Speaker 23: No, a landlord, residential landlord can only raise rent one time in any rolling twelve month period.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: And what is the rolling twelve month period, any rolling twelve month period.
Speaker 23: Right today minus twelve months?
Speaker 2: Okay, so today minus twelve months. So when this.
Speaker 9: Guy's not taking her check, let's not forget that she tried to pay even the new amount and he said he's not going to accept it.
Speaker 23: Brad, Well, she if this gets in front of it, judge, she'll arge. She tendered her payment, she offered it up and they refused it. And that's a good argument.
Speaker 6: Christy, So are you listening to all of this? Yes, listen carefully. You don't have to leave. You don't have to voluntarily do it. He has to evict you, he has to have good reason. By the way, he can't rate well, he can raise the rent after twelve months from the last and rent raise.
Speaker 2: You have to make him aware that you know all of this.
Speaker 13: Okay, and if you.
Speaker 6: Want help, I'll have Deputy d call the landlord. You want us to call him? Sure, hold on and get here information for us. Brad O'Brien, thank you so much for helping us. Three h three seven Mark. Did I get that question you were going to ask about the twelve months or was there something else?
Speaker 2: No? No, We're good, I mean, okay, good, good.
Speaker 6: Excellent Olslaw dot com seven two zero three seven zero seventy three eighty eight. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Martino. You're a troubleshooter.
Speaker 6: Three O three seven one three talk three O three seven one three eight two five five. So I'm just ask AI who's gonna win the fight? Fifty eight year old former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson or twenty seven year old YouTuber turn boxer Jake Paul. And here's what my AI said. I used to call my girlfriend, but the voice changed to mail, so I call him my boyfriend. Backing Mike Tyson, Lennox, Lewis, Roy Jones, Junior Tyson Fury, it's all betting odds.
Speaker 2: It's all that Matt.
Speaker 6: Backing Jake Paul, Anthony Joshua, Adam Smith. Betting odds Jake Paul minus two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: So you have to pay two fifty.
Speaker 6: To win one hundred and plus one ninety from Tyson.
Speaker 2: Tyson's favored age and physical condition. You got that totally backwards, brother, Oh, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 6: You you The odds are in favor of Jake. That's why they pay less, right exactly, Okay, age and physical condition, Tyson's age and the long hiatus since his last professional fight, that's a big one, that's whole big one. In contrast, Paul is in prime physical condition and has been actively competing experience. Tyson's extensive boxing boxing experience outweighs Paul's and his experience.
Speaker 2: But not recent experience.
Speaker 6: Tyson has legendary status, experience, and is formidable. But people say Jake Paul is just too young and fit. Wow, this is going to be exciting. Three oh three, seven to one three talk seven to one three.
Speaker 9: So if you had to bet on it, what would you bet? It's gonna be a I don't even think it's going to be an epic battle. Honestly, I still don't think.
Speaker 6: But I still don't. I wouldn't bet because I don't know enough. Honest to god, I don't have a good feeling one or the other. I I just don't have enough feeling to bet on this one. I got to get to h let's see, I got to get your your pictures up again, Okay, so let me do that.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't even know that's the wrong one.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I'm just three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 2: Let me get your camera there? You go? All right?
Speaker 6: So you guys are up, and here's what I want to know. What do our what do what? What does the YouTube audience think?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 9: I put a poll up and by the way, folks out there listening, you go to YouTube type and Troubleshooter network you can watch us. We talked her in the breaks. I think you're gonna love uh being part of the show that way. But uh, we only got thirty two votes, even though there's one hundreds watching. Seventy five percent think Mike Tyson's gonna win. And I offered to bet any of them and not one of them took me up on it.
Speaker 2: Butt test seventy five percent. They're just busting balls. They can't really think that anyway.
Speaker 6: Let's talk to Mike. Uh, we have a Michael and a Mic. We'll go to Mike about life insurance. Hi, Mike, what's going on?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 3: Him? Why are you doing good?
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 3: Got a quick way for you. I haven't heard you talk about this. I don't believe in the past, But do you know any type of entity that would go ahead and buy life insurance, whether it be the term and.
Speaker 6: As FA, they don't buy term. They don't usually buy term. Now hold on maybe they do. First of all, term insurance if it's not guaranteed renewed and you have a fatal disease or a terminal disease, or you want to just get rid of or you're old, and you know, usually terms canceled, so that's not a viable option usually for a biatical. You're talking about a biatical where people buy it up because you're dying.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily. I mean, this took your situation is that I've had it for twenty years in the end, as far as the is.
Speaker 2: It term ors that whole life.
Speaker 3: The first and one would be term twenty years. But it is renewable, and naturally the monthly payment has gone up from like five hundred thousand from my three hundred dollars a month previously to like thirteen hundred now.
Speaker 6: So well, that's that's what I mean. I mean, it's guaranteed renew but at what price?
Speaker 2: So how old are you send me?
Speaker 7: Fine?
Speaker 2: Okay, so what kind of health?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 10: In?
Speaker 3: Pretty good health?
Speaker 6: And I guess no one's gonna do it, man, no one's going to buy a term insurance policy.
Speaker 2: I don't know of anyone.
Speaker 6: I don't know of anyone when it comes to biaticals who buy term insurance.
Speaker 2: Okay, because the term.
Speaker 6: I mean, I might be wrong, but but you know, first of all, the concept bothers me a little, but a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Are buying them. If you have a terminal disease of some.
Speaker 6: Kind and you have a whole life policy that pays, and they know what it's going to pay, and they can take it out, I mean, they can pay you cash and get it.
Speaker 2: They're going to do it, and you have money to live on.
Speaker 6: But what is your Are you asking for cash up front for this term policy? Well, yeah, that's so you want someone and it's this thirteen hundred a year, thirteen hundred a month. There's no one's going to pay you cash plus thirteen hundred a month at seventy five years old for a term policy of five hundred thousand. I mean, do the math. The returns not there. You're, by today's standards, in pretty good health. You could live another ten years. I mean, just do the math. And there's nothing to guarantee the premium won't go up.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, let's see.
Speaker 6: You obviously have an escalator in that. So you're asking someone right now to pay sixteen grand a year. Sixteen grand a year basically, okay, so they pay would never think about that sixteen grand a year times even if it's stayed level, and it won't times ten years. We're looking at one hundred and sixty thousand, And how much did you want for this five hundred thousand dollars benefit?
Speaker 2: How much do you want for it?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm getting it. I'm just telling it.
Speaker 6: Don't give me an idea, though, you have to have an idea. Do you want to dollar for it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So how much do you want for it? Twenty five, twenty five thousand?
Speaker 6: Okay, So now you have one sixty plus twenty five thousand. Now that's what I would be. That's one hundred and eighty five thousand. Somebody's going to pay out on the hopes that they get the five hundred. Then I'm the hope set he croaks. That's such a weird thing to.
Speaker 2: Think, Well that all viaticals are like that.
Speaker 9: I know that, but think about it, man, can you imagine sitting around going, God, I hope he gets into a car accident today.
Speaker 6: You know, I just don't think it's viable, but I might be wrong. I've listened with my investment company. We have looked at viat There are funds of viaticals of old sick people. It sounds sick, doesn't it. And it's just we don't like it. We just don't like it and it just doesn't feel good. But there are people that love them. For example, if you had cancer and you have a five hundred thousand dollars policy, there are people that are going to give you a lot of cash to live on right now there are okay, okay, but you're seventy five with no apparent problems at this point.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's great?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, And it's term, which means you have no control over the what is the premium escalator clause?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I think it's really depends upon you know, I don't know what percentage might be on an annual basis.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I understand. But do they have a limit.
Speaker 3: I don't know that either.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't you be afraid someone would try to knock you off if you sold it?
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, no, I find it so odd.
Speaker 6: So on my investment, on this investment research that I have, they do they do have some life, some term life insurance policies that are sold as viaticals here, but they're usually with people who have a foreseeable event, some terminal something that, yeah, something like that. They they believe it or not, they like it. If can you convert that to a whole life policy at any time.
Speaker 3: I think that has lapsed as of right now.
Speaker 6: Okay, so really unless you people aren't probably going to do it because you don't have a disease or you're not your death is not imminent, and you have the five hundred thousand is a good part. The premium is way high. Thirteen hundred a month is way high at this point. But it's it says here in my little uh, my little uh Book of Investors that there are people that will buy them, even yours, but I don't know how much you'll get for it. They might try to steal it, you know, if are you hurting for money right now?
Speaker 3: No, I just I can't afford this first to the increase there, and you know, just do a little bit.
Speaker 6: There might hey, there might be people that do it, but again there you know, it's kind of it's kind of a strange when you're not sick or anything, you know, and uh, what has been the average lifespan of your family? Folks, I'm not asking for myself. I am not going to do this.
Speaker 3: I just you don't I understand. Uh actually, first, parent wise, one seventy four?
Speaker 2: What did you just say?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 2: And I have no idea what he's talking about. One is not one was ninety four and one was what?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Actually, you know sixty eight? I'm sorry, you know sixty eight years old and one ninety four?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, weird.
Speaker 6: Huh So anyway, listen, if doc was selling, I'd buy in a minute.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding. Oh man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Listen, if anybody does call and they're interested, we will, uh we will pass on.
Speaker 2: Leave your number with us.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, that's sounds good man.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry that that you're facing this, but you know it's it's term is not You've.
Speaker 9: Looked into this stuff before. What changes what stops someone from changing the beneficiary? I mean, I'm sure it's a pretty long contract.
Speaker 6: Huh you well, okay, there is something called, and this is where it gets really hairy, something called an insurable interest.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's why that's why I asked the question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some policies, and we ought to get Joe keano I'd love to get Joe on. In fact, let's do it because this is a topic that is very interesting. But insurable interest has been deemed in some cases to be that you loan the guy money or you gave him, and technically it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: A loan mark. So you are you do have an insurable audess. I actually I understand that.
Speaker 6: Okay, So anyway, let's if we can get Joe Keano on. I'd love to ask him a couple of questions about it in general. Now, Michael, I have to take a break, but I want to get started. You have an issue with a creditor. Can you tell me? Is it a credit card?
Speaker 7: Uh? Yes, sir, it's this is a Johnson Mark Attorneys at law, their collection attorneys. Okay, I agree with them to pay this debt off.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's make sure. Hope, I hope you didn't restart to clock brother.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You hang on, Michael, we'll come right back to you. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 6: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Tom Martine. You're a troubleshooter.
Speaker 6: Michael says he has an issue with the creditor. So, Michael, I want to get to the beginning here. Okay, so how did this all start? Did you have a credit card or something?
Speaker 7: Yes, I had a credit card by Citibank and that was for home depot purchases to the renovations.
Speaker 6: So from okay, so you had a City Banking credit card and it was for home depot And then what happened?
Speaker 7: I got sick. It was COVID, I guess, okay, couple and that knocked me into the ballpark for quite a while, and.
Speaker 2: I got so when was this?
Speaker 6: When did you make your last payment on that City Bank card?
Speaker 7: October sixteenth this year?
Speaker 6: No, Oh, I'm okay, So anyway, but it was after COVID, So it wasn't six years ago.
Speaker 2: This was a pretty recent debt.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, this is yes, legitimately within that how much did you owe?
Speaker 2: How much did you owe that they came after you for.
Speaker 7: Approximately I believe it was sixteen approximately sixteen thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now, and what kind of an agreement did you.
Speaker 7: Make to pay them three hundred and twenty five dollars a month until paid?
Speaker 2: Okay? Now did they add to it?
Speaker 7: No, not to my knowledge.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what is your question.
Speaker 7: I'm paid up to date. As you know, October sixteenth is my last payment. I received a notice of late payment dated November one.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, and you paid October sixteenth, but they sent you a late late statement November. Yes, did they cross in the mail or did you make an online payment?
Speaker 7: They have an unelectronic access to my checking account every month.
Speaker 6: Okay, so they they actually drew out the payment. That was crazy to give them that, by the way, So they drew the payment out but sent you a late notice.
Speaker 2: Yes, that makes no sense.
Speaker 6: Did you call them and say, look, guys, you're the ones that draw the payment out.
Speaker 7: That's the problem. Calling them is a waste of time. I called them yesterday and what did they say? This is the wrong department. I have to send you back to the original department.
Speaker 6: Now the question, Yeah, first I want to ask real quick, was there a late fee?
Speaker 2: Is that why you're calling us?
Speaker 7: No? No late fee that I can see you on this notice?
Speaker 2: And why do you care?
Speaker 7: Because it's a notice of late payment. And I find these people to be sharp in terms of how they do legal stuff. I was on the question that on the in the first place that there I was to go to court for a judgment. I was I was going to answer it in person and it turns out that it was by paper only, so they got the judgment because there was no uh press in person hearing.
Speaker 6: So no, no, no, no, Michael, it was during OVID. Tom oh, I'm sorry. So they got this judgment back during COVID.
Speaker 7: Uh No, this was I believe it was May or June.
Speaker 6: Of this year, and they got they got a judgment without taking you to court.
Speaker 7: Well they did that, they did technically because but it was a it was a paper submission only and not an appearance.
Speaker 2: And you did and you did not answer it.
Speaker 7: I did. I went to court to answer it in the court nearby and then I found That's when I found out it was not an in person.
Speaker 6: Uh oh, so they got a default judgment. But you did all the money anyway, right?
Speaker 7: Yes? Yes, Mark?
Speaker 9: What was your question? Well, I'm curious what other debts do you have?
Speaker 2: If any? You've got sixteen grand there? What else? Do you own a house?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: Okay, that's all I want to I wanted to know if you were judgment proved.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know that I am. I don't think. I don't think I am. I owe for a car like fifteen thousand, then I own the house about eighty five thousand, I think.
Speaker 2: So what is your question about?
Speaker 7: Right now, I'm trying to get through to contact these people. I would like to know what is the best way to refute this letter because I don't them as far as.
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 6: Why would you? What do you? I'm not sure what the letter is doing. What harm is the letter doing? Though I don't get it.
Speaker 7: It's first of all, it's causing me concern because they do not trust these people. One I don't trust them.
Speaker 9: Did you have an agreement with them something to the tune of if I have a late payment?
Speaker 2: The interest rate goes up or something weird.
Speaker 10: No, well, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know why you have any issue whatsoever. Then, and you have proof you pay it as well with the draft.
Speaker 2: On your account, right, Yes?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, so they automatically draft your account? Right, Okay, I don't, Michael, unless they do something else or this keeps happening. Would you call us back. I'll write it down, but I don't see an issue here. If they're not dinging you, they're not charging you more. I think the letter was probably sent an error. I mean, do you have an agreement that you signed?
Speaker 7: Yes, it's online, it was electronic.
Speaker 2: Did you download a copy?
Speaker 7: I think I did. I'll have to hunt.
Speaker 6: Okay, Now, next question. Is it a law firm you're dealing with.
Speaker 7: Yes, Johnson Mark Attorneys at Law.
Speaker 6: Did you ever try calling them and asking about this late notice? Did the late notice come from them?
Speaker 7: That's when I get the MARYL. Giron. I can't get into any department that will handle the call. I'm sorry, we can't handle this call. We'll have to send you back to the department you had in the first place, and they will.
Speaker 11: Just send them an email or certified letter, either one of those would would get a response.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three three nine tow zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martinez here three h three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. So I want to go to Joe Caiano real quick here Joe, I'm here, Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't have a lot of time.
Speaker 6: I might want to keep you up after the next hour, but Joe Cano does. Of course, life insurance overfunding on purpose for investment purposes and also fixed indextinuities. So what I'm asking you, though, is on another topic. But since you know a lot about insurance and life insurance, the concept of viaticles where people buy insurance from those who are terminally ill. Have you ever explored those or no much about him.
Speaker 16: I know something about him.
Speaker 6: Tom, Okay, I'm going to ask you about that coming back because I'm running out of time and I don't want to rush you.
Speaker 2: And then Michael Uh.
Speaker 6: As far as that creditor situation, bro, just call us back if it keeps happening. I would not do anything right now. I would just leave it alone. I'm Tom Martine Moore coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Three time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 19: You don't have.
Speaker 4: Run ins as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 5: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Why don't you give us a call.
Speaker 6: Three all three seven one three talk three all three seven one three eight two five five because what we do here solve problems, answer questions, and take complaints.
Speaker 2: This hour brought to you by eight eight eight Heating dot.
Speaker 6: Com for the deep clean forty five bucks and high efficiency replacements that save you money every month.
Speaker 2: And Compass Insurance.
Speaker 6: Group, which loves giving you a free insurance checkup so you can see if you're paying too much for insurance or not you're not insured enough, or you might be over insured. Who knows three oh three nine nine six nine thousand, the Insurance Healthcenter dot com. And speaking of insurance, Joseph Caano is our annuity expert and our insurance expert, and one of the things he does is he's been He was one of the first ones I know of that was selling life insurance policies that he encouraged people to overfund on purpose and have just enough life insurance to make that legal, and then to accumulate those earnings tax free and then use them tax free later on in life. And then he started with fixed indextinuities as well, which are guaranteed instruments for retirement as you get older, and I have them on talking about an inquiry we got somebody wanted to know about selling their life insurance. I was surprised to hear, Joe. I looked it up that people even sell term policies that are guaranteed renewable. But may I ask you a question, I personally don't like term when you get older. But what is a guaranteed renewable term? Does that mean they have to keep you and no matter what.
Speaker 24: Yeah, they have to keep your domin the uh, you'll need. Difference between an unrenewable term and a renewable term policy is that the company will offer to renew your term insurance like every every year, every five years or ten years. But you will be paying higher premium because obviously you're going to be five ten years older and term insurance you know, goes up with your age.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and and so you can't get level premium term, can.
Speaker 24: You you you know, I don't know. I don't think you can get level term. You know, like like if you have a mortgage, you know, then you want to cover it's. Uh, it's what they call a term. It's just a level term policy where you you will get you know, a level of death benefit. But as you get older, either the death benefit will have to go down or the premiers will have to go up.
Speaker 7: Okay, I do call it a level term.
Speaker 6: Now, on this particular guy's case, he had term insurance and he was in he was seventy five. He was paying thirteen hundred bucks a month.
Speaker 24: Absolutely, I mean the older weekend, some more expensive insurance becomes.
Speaker 10: That's not unusual.
Speaker 2: I mean, now he was wondering.
Speaker 6: He was wondering at seventy five, if he's paying thirteen hundred a month, would there be anyone interested in buying that half a million dollar policy? And I told him that to me, doesn't sound like a great deal because somebody, you're asking someone to pick up a bill of fifteen thousand, six hundred a year plus pay him twenty five grand. So you know, I mean he could easily live another twenty years, that is right.
Speaker 24: You know, you were talking about biotical settlements, and biotical settlements are usually on whole life insurance or for insurance policies to.
Speaker 13: Have a cash value, so.
Speaker 24: A third party will actually buy the policy from the insured, pay them less than the over the cash value, but less than the death benefit. So that means that the insured will get but they have to qualify for it.
Speaker 16: I mean, you have to have at.
Speaker 24: Least maybe less than two years to live. You have to be chronically ill, you have to.
Speaker 10: Be on your deathbed basically.
Speaker 16: And it's basically. You know, it's a great product.
Speaker 24: If you need urgent money for the next couple of years before you die, somebody will buy your policy. They will pay you more than the cash value of the policy, so that excludes term insurance, but they will pay you less than the death benefit. So that means that you give up your policy for money now while you're still alive, and then your family doesn't.
Speaker 10: Have any more death benefit.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, but it gives you money immediately, right.
Speaker 16: But immediately right, Okay, you have to be in your deathbed.
Speaker 6: You have to be exactly That's what I told them. People don't normally buy biaticals. Uh, if you are simply old.
Speaker 16: No, no, you have to be you have you have to have at.
Speaker 10: Least less than two years to.
Speaker 7: Live, basically. Okay, that's whether.
Speaker 16: Now, so the qualification.
Speaker 6: While I have you on the line, I do have a question from a Texter on the fixed index annuity. They want to know, what is the minimum amount you recommend people start with if they're already sixty years.
Speaker 24: Old, you know, if they if they're sixty years old, to make it work for them.
Speaker 7: You know, the more the more.
Speaker 16: People can put in into.
Speaker 24: The annuity, the better tom you know. So the minimum that the our company accepts is ten thousand dollars. Okay, yeah, that's not going to give a sixty year old you know a lot of money in ten years or five years. So, right, if somebody has a four one k or an ira, they can transfer the money. It's a lump sum of money. They may have one hundred thousand, one hundred and fifty thousand, then we're talking a different story. Then that money is going to grow for them and this and it's going to create an income for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 6: Right, and so is it safe to say the more money you put in, the less time it has to fester to get you that income.
Speaker 10: That is right.
Speaker 24: You know, we have a nuties that can begin paying you within thirty days after the money's received.
Speaker 16: Exactly, it transfers money.
Speaker 24: They can have an immediate annuity just like depiby Duck you know, has an immediate annuity that he gets a paycheck every single month, and that income STrenD begins.
Speaker 7: Thirty days after the money is transferred.
Speaker 6: It could be any Thank you, Joe, so I appreciate that money. Money myway dot com if you ever want to talk to Joe, it's three oh three seven seven nine sixty six hundred. Three oh three seven seven nine sixty six hundred. Now let's talk to Craig, who has a follow up from yesterday on a Kia Forte twenty seventeen. I don't recall this. Let me let me find the call. Was this yesterday?
Speaker 2: Craig?
Speaker 6: Oh no, you were on yesterday. I believe it, and we didn't get to you. Go ahead, Craig, what's going on?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I was on.
Speaker 10: I didn't get you.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 13: Hello, another honor to speak with you.
Speaker 6: And we got Kevin calk In here from Sheridan Auto Tech.
Speaker 2: Maybe he can help.
Speaker 13: Go ahead, Okay, throw it to you in a nutshell.
Speaker 7: I'm a truck driver.
Speaker 13: I worked for Danny's Transport out of North Denver. They just shut the company down. I just got laid off. My car twenty seventeen Kia Forte was stuck in fourthier. Wasn't up shifting or down shifting automatic. I took it to the shop. I said, listen, I just.
Speaker 10: Got laid off work.
Speaker 13: I'm limiting on funds. Find out the problem. I mean the transmission. I told them. When I just told you, they said, okay, okay. I said, I don't know what it is, but that's why I brought it to you guys. You guys are the pros. Okay, I'm just a truck driver that drove three million miles from the United States in the last forty years. Anyways, so they call me up, they give me a prize. Yep, Yeah, it's your transmission. Okay, how much? Okay, thirty two hundred, I said, okay, go ahead and do it. They put it in. Oh that didn't work. It's your PCM.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, Wait a minute. Craig Craig, Craig Craig and Kevin weigh in on this. If it was stuck in fourth gear and they did your transmission, what do you mean it didn't work? Did you try the new transmission?
Speaker 13: No, they put it in the shop. I haven't touched the car.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: What I mean is thirty are they charged?
Speaker 6: I guess I'm asking this did they rebuild the transmission?
Speaker 13: They put in a rebuilt transmission.
Speaker 6: They put in a rebuilt for thirty two hundred okay, but they can't charge you for that if it was wrong.
Speaker 13: Right, But then what they said was, well, no, were.
Speaker 6: They going to credit you the thirty two hundred bucks. No, so they wanted you to pay Wait a minute, they wanted you to pay thirty two hundred dollars.
Speaker 13: For nothing, for nothing, for the pay for the part. I already paid for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, And Craig, I'm sorry, hold on, hold on, Yeah, you brought a twenty seventeen kifourt into a shop. They said you need a transmission. You paid thirty two hundred dollars for a rebuilt transmission.
Speaker 2: Am I correct? So far?
Speaker 13: I paid fifteen dollars to the part, and then I paid the balance when I pick up the car. But then that wasn't a problem.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 6: But are they still going to charge you for something you didn't not need?
Speaker 2: I want to know that.
Speaker 13: Yep.
Speaker 2: How did they get off doing that?
Speaker 13: I don't know. That's why I'm going.
Speaker 2: They're saying you needed that is well, then they.
Speaker 13: Said I need a PCM. I said that, don't worry about it. We'll take care of you. Now. The bills up to sixty five hundred plus.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what, you know what hold on, Craig.
Speaker 16: I'll may say it wasn't that, Craig.
Speaker 6: They can't just can't just say it now. It's even more now what he's saying Mark is they kept hold on. He said, they kept fixing stuff until they got up to.
Speaker 2: Six thousand dollars and.
Speaker 6: They still don't have it fixed, but they want.
Speaker 2: Him to pay anyway.
Speaker 6: DS No eight thousand. Okay, So let me ask you something, Craig. Did it ever occur to you to say, what the hell are you talking about? I don't believe in paying for stuff that doesn't fix the problem.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm old fashioned. I'm a nice person.
Speaker 2: Old fashion.
Speaker 6: So old fashion means people can kick you in the face and you're gonna take it. You're gonna pay them eight thousand dollars and your car still doesn't run.
Speaker 13: No, I don't have eight thousand. That's the problem.
Speaker 6: And I well, why did you let it go up if you didn't have the money, why did you keep approving?
Speaker 13: I didn't, I told him, I said, I don't have the money. Now you're saying, it's the PCM, how much does that cost? Their answer was, don't worry about it will work with you.
Speaker 7: I don't have the money.
Speaker 13: Then they put the PCM in, and then they told me, well, I go, so what do I? Oh, now sixty five hundred plus the fifteen hundred already paid, so that's eight grand. And now they're telling me that, Well, that didn't work either, So we got to get a hold of the engineering department. Now they're saying that we have to take the serial number or vend number off the transmission and match it up with the computer system and see if that works. That's where I'm at right now.
Speaker 2: So you're up to eight thousand.
Speaker 6: Hold on, Craig, you're up to eight thousand dollars in repairs.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, so far it's gonna go up to ten or twelve dollars and it's.
Speaker 2: Still not fixed.
Speaker 6: So Craig, so you're basically gonna just let them spend anything they want and you're not demanding that the car be fixed.
Speaker 13: Oh that's not that's not the icing on the cake. After they put the transmission in, now it's stuck in first gear. At least I can drive it around in fourth gear, but first year you're not going nowhere.
Speaker 6: Well listen, man, I'm sorry to say this, but you let yourself get walked on.
Speaker 2: You allowed it all.
Speaker 13: Because I called them, do not repair, do not put anything until you give me a print.
Speaker 2: We got to call these people.
Speaker 6: What is the name of I find this? I find this hard to believe.
Speaker 2: Craig. What's the name of this shot?
Speaker 13: And here's the thing, I have everything documented on.
Speaker 9: What's the name, Craig, what's the name of the shot?
Speaker 13: A rap ninety seven oh one, A wrap Hole Road, Centennial.
Speaker 2: Colorado, A rap a hole Keillo Mark. These guys, I know who they are.
Speaker 6: How the hell I think they it used to I think it's a deal in Doug, but he might have sold it. How many how many miles were on this when you brought it in?
Speaker 13: One hundred and sixty eight thousand? And the car has meant looks like it barked out?
Speaker 2: Hey, Kevin?
Speaker 6: Kevin, Yes, sir, it does eight grand sound reasonable for a car that was well, no, it's still not working for eight grant?
Speaker 12: None of us sounds reasonable. No, they just knee jerked it. It's got the milads and the transmission ship. We need someone to help this guy.
Speaker 6: Craig, you're out of your league with these people. They're just walking all over you.
Speaker 9: Well, I think we need to call the as crazy as as sounds man.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because they can't and work.
Speaker 6: Well, how much have you paid him before? We keep going back? Ten hundred Okay, so calm down on that part.
Speaker 10: Now, he just needs his car to get to work.
Speaker 9: He said, you know what, Kelly, let's give them a call over it a wrap a hookia.
Speaker 6: This is the most this is the most abusive story I've ever heard of. It's true that they they charge him. Hold on, here's what they say. They basically, honest to God, said to him, hey, you're gonna need a transmission. It's going to be sixty five hundred bucks, right, and no thirty five whatever whatever. And so then that didn't work. So he gets punched in the face. And then they said, but now we have to do something else. That didn't work. He gets punched in the face again. And then they said, oh, that didn't work, we need to do more, and he gets punched in the face again.
Speaker 2: That's what we have right now, we have.
Speaker 9: I don't I think it's a deal and Doug anymore, thank God.
Speaker 6: No, No, we have people punching him in the face. They just keep doing it over and over and over and over.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, my biggest problem is we got a bunch of rookie mechanics straight out of mechanics school that have no experience. So I'm paying for their experience while they well, let's try this, let's go, it didn't work. Let's try something like you get a five tire on your car.
Speaker 10: Oh, let's replace.
Speaker 13: All four tires, you know. Let's let's up sale, um sale, upsell. Because I think the service rider gets permission on as much money as he can get out of the customer. That's why I think's going on all right.
Speaker 6: By the way, all those face punches he took him, he keeps taking them too.
Speaker 2: We got more coming right up.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer l roofing dot com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Genesis tootalexteriors dot com for mold inspections and detection and media remediation. That's Genesis Tootalexteriors dot Com. So this story sounds outrageous, doesn't it. And we're trying to get the dealer on.
Speaker 9: Dealers sung up on Kelly and I happen to overhear the conversation.
Speaker 2: She no, she was bending over back nice.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 2: Here's the bottom line.
Speaker 6: He is saying a rapp a ho key is spent so far, or or are going to charge him so far eight grand for a transmission and a PCM and that still did not correct the problem. I don't see how it can't correct a problem. I mean, if a car stuck in gear and you put a whole new PCM and transmission in it, Kevin, what is there left not to work?
Speaker 12: Well, you've got all the wiring in between. I mean it could have anything. There's a number of things that they should have checked before they start ripping parts.
Speaker 6: But and then so now he has a bill of eight grand, a bill of eight grands paid fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hundred down unless he signed for the overage.
Speaker 12: He signed the initial estimate for the three grand thirty two hundred, but he didn't sign any approval for anything more. They got ten percent or one hundred bucks? Is their only leeway in that rule?
Speaker 2: Well, that's not Kevin.
Speaker 6: All they have to do is say that they got his approval by phone and have a time and date on there.
Speaker 12: Well, if he can prove he didn't call him or they didn't call him, I mean it's.
Speaker 6: I know, yeah, Craig, where did you leave it with them at this point?
Speaker 13: And they and they just called me. I didn't answer the phone because I didn't want to lose my connection with you guys.
Speaker 2: What did they say seconds ago? They just called you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, okay, I want you to call him back.
Speaker 6: But Craig, how before you called us? How did you leave it with them at a rapa ho Kiah?
Speaker 13: What you mean from the beginning or now where is.
Speaker 2: It at right now?
Speaker 6: When's the last time you talked to the service department at a rapa Hokia.
Speaker 7: Yesterday?
Speaker 2: And what did they say to you yesterday?
Speaker 13: They only let you talk to who's ever on working on your car?
Speaker 2: And what did they say to you?
Speaker 13: Wasn't there?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Nothing?
Speaker 13: They said, you have talked to him and he's on lunch break.
Speaker 6: Okay. Then before that, I need to know the lat Craig. I need to know the last time you talked to someone that gave you information.
Speaker 13: They text me a lot of times. It's hard to get a hold of them on the phone.
Speaker 6: They okay, when was the last time they texted you something?
Speaker 13: Yesterday at three h eight pm they sent me a text saying, we have submitted the request data to the engineers. We'll let you know once they respond.
Speaker 2: Okay, so hold on.
Speaker 6: They had to send Kia engineers because they can't replace a transmission and a PCM properly.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 13: They can't.
Speaker 7: They can't figure out why.
Speaker 13: Now it's in worst condition. Now it's stuck in first year.
Speaker 9: These guys sound like clowns in my opinion. Man, this is unbelievable.
Speaker 10: Not that complicated a car.
Speaker 6: It's not that complicated of a car. I want to warn people about the service department.
Speaker 2: I want to warn them. I'm serious.
Speaker 6: If this guy is having this much trouble right now, A bills up to eight grand and it's still not running, and they it might be ten to fifteen. What are you kidding me? Listen, Craig, they just called you. See if they left you a voicemail, call them back, call them back, then call us back. Let us know what these clowns are doing. A wrap a ho kiah people a rap hokiah. Keep that in mind and we'll report back to what we find. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five. This is unbelievable to me, Pam, Oh no, no, wait, Mike, let me ask you. Let me let me get a Mike in first. Mike, what is your issue with the Better Business Bureau or a question?
Speaker 1: Oh Tom, it's a question. I continue to run across people that tell me you got to go to the Better Business Bureau and check on companies, et cetera. When I have personally done that in the past, I have found that their information is not up to date. That's right, doesn't necessarily reflect where the company's still in busit.
Speaker 6: Let me explain something the Better Business Bureau. I've said this before they are a fossil.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought, Tom, And that's the reason I called because I seem to recall you saying it's ridiculous that the BBB that people still continue to look at that they don't do anything.
Speaker 6: They don't do anything, they don't help people, they don't do anything.
Speaker 2: I'll put up the money.
Speaker 6: I've recovered against the Better Business Bureau any day, any week, any month, any year, and they get to pick it. These people are useless. They collect money from businesses and they do nothing. Even their information is inaccurate. They mark you were talking about what you just looked up just a minute ago?
Speaker 9: What did you find a rap a hokiyah who we're talking about? Listen, twenty three complaints in the last three years, four in the last twelve months, seven reviews with an average rating of one. In fact, I think all of them are And guess what their BBB rating is, And all the information I just read is from.
Speaker 2: The BBB, and what's their rating? Mark a freaking plus A.
Speaker 1: Plus that scene. That's that's why I wanted you guys to reiterate.
Speaker 2: We've talked about that forever though.
Speaker 6: Bro, they're dinosaurs, They're fossils. They don't belong in business. That the better Business Bureau should be called the worst better the worst business bureau, that's what they should be called, the worst business bureau.
Speaker 1: I needed to hear it.
Speaker 6: There have been people in prison with an A plus rating, in prison for fraud with an A plus rating.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know, isn't it amazing? I mean, it's it's stunning out there.
Speaker 2: It's actually worse than that time.
Speaker 9: It was a guy that stole twelve million dollars and went to prison for over ten years, and a year into it, a year into it, he was Don Eiley. He was still a plus with the BBB Ailean associates.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, listen, folks, We've got to take a break. I'm Tom Martinez three oh three seven one three Talks seven one three eight two five five. One Clear Choice Garage Doors, as I told you, one of the best companies ever. One clear Choice Doors dot Com will get you all of their services and prices. No one else does it. One clear Choice Doors dot Com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot Com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you are troubleshooter three all.
Speaker 2: Three seven one three talk. So I tried to call over to a rap.
Speaker 9: A ho Kiah Thomas, Yes, sir, so the guy I you know, you know, I'm nice.
Speaker 6: I say, hey, hey, you know what's going on? And he goes hold on like he's going to get a manager. Next thing I know, they picked the phone back up click. In my opinion, a rap Kea is doing the wrong thing, just not even giving us information quite frankly. But then I started thinking, do you think it's possible this caller, okay, has no clue about anything? Because the more I think about it, if it truly is true what he's saying, you bring it in. They sell you a transmission for thirty two hundred bucks. Then they call you up and says, whoops, that didn't fix it.
Speaker 2: You need this.
Speaker 9: Then they say it's going to be six thousand with the PCM and the transmission, because you're still going to charge him for that apparently. And then they call back and say, whoops, that didn't do it either.
Speaker 6: It needs something else. And now he's up to what twelve grand or something? He's up to eight And now they're saying they got to reach out to Kiya. Do you really think he knows what he's talking about when he said I want to charge him.
Speaker 2: Here's what I think.
Speaker 6: I think for any guy to be that confused, they have to.
Speaker 2: Be doing something wrong.
Speaker 6: But I also think he's probably not the sharpest pencil in the in the in the pencil drawer.
Speaker 9: Well, this is a to me them hanging up. Is you come back on and say sorry we can't talk. Your number did be in calls? What number did you I called?
Speaker 2: Hold on? Let me look at my phone.
Speaker 9: And the other thing is, once again, if you look at them on the BBB, you can't believe it.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 9: I sat next to Deal and Doug not long ago at a Rockies game and we had a great conversation. I find it very hard believe based on the complaints we have had in the last couple of years, which is almost zero, that they're actually doing this. But if this is a true story from this old guy, this is absolutely outrageous. Three oh three eight seven four twenty five hundred three oh three eight seven four twenty five hundred and God help me. I hope this old man is confused, because if they truly want to charge him eight thousand dollars for stuff that wasn't wrong and didn't fix the car, they can kiss my ass.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about them the rest of my life. No, no, no, no, I don't like him, Mark, I just don't like him. I don't like him. I don't like him.
Speaker 6: This is a This is to have a customer this confused is wrong within itself. And then they can then what they tell Kelly. They said, well, we have a policy of only talking to the customer. She said to him, he's on the air right now. We'll be happy to patch him in. We'll be happy to call you off the air and talk with him. A click they hang up, right, And you know what, people let you know a rap okia, let them know that you don't care what the Better Business Bureau, the Brontosaurus of agencies, the dinosaurs and fossils of the old time, an old error.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: I find it hard to believe that there are businesses that still join the Better Business Bureau.
Speaker 2: It's swear it. I can't believe.
Speaker 6: And they did a hell of a job.
Speaker 9: No matter what anybody says, the BBB has done probably the best job I've ever seen at convincing people there's some kind of government entity. It's really remarkable when it comes to their marketing. Really, people think they have something to do with the government, whether local or federal.
Speaker 6: People really think or or that there's some kind of kind of an official agency, and they're not.
Speaker 2: They're nothing.
Speaker 9: So if you go to the VBB right now seven customer reviews number one one star for a Rapo Hokiya Katie, number two one star, Angel number three one star, Michael C. One star, ANGELA one star, Jeffrey one star.
Speaker 6: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 6: Then right next to it, in big, big beautiful letters, as Trump would say, the most beautiful letters I've ever seen, it says A plus crazy crazy this is, you know, So if you depend on them, you'd be going to a guy in prison for fraud as an A plus rated accountant accountant A plus who took twelve million dollars from small businesses around Colorado.
Speaker 2: Think about that.
Speaker 6: The BBB, the small business people, they this guy ripped off their own.
Speaker 2: People and they got a nuke to plus. Hold on. Pam's been waiting too long.
Speaker 6: I know I have to take a break, but let me get started here, Pam.
Speaker 2: What is the issue with your apartment?
Speaker 21: Pam him. Yes, I wrote all this down so that we could go through it pretty quick. I'm a tenant in a luxury apartment, but it's not luxury. I started with my complaint about smoking on a non smoking property. I went seven times to the management downstairs to discuss it. And since I have gotten in an argument with.
Speaker 6: The management, Hey, Pam, can you smell the Do you see people smoking or just smell it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 21: Yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 2: Which one was?
Speaker 21: I want a smoker?
Speaker 2: You see the marijuana smoker. You saw someone.
Speaker 21: Smoking on their patio, and then I see other people that are smoking cigarettes and I've got I've got pictures.
Speaker 9: So you're not allowed to smoke on your own patio or just inside.
Speaker 2: I just don't know Noka.
Speaker 21: Non smoking property, and so I went down. I've gone down seven times and talk to management to see if something could be done. Well, then finally when I went down, I know who's smoking that marijuana. It's on this in this apartment. So I he said, we'll all go take care of it. And I said, well, I'm going to go with you, and he said, no, you're not going to go with me. You can't go.
Speaker 2: That's probably not a good idea.
Speaker 6: No, no, I agree with that. Hold on, let me come right back to I'm Tom Martine. We will come back to her complaint right after this. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three o three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tino here, three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the.
Speaker 6: Phones and and let's see who do.
Speaker 2: We talk to? Whoever, who should I take?
Speaker 6: Uh, well, let's go back to her about the apartment, Pam. So you were a tenant in an apartment, you saw people smoking, you complained seven times, and then you got into an argument with the manager.
Speaker 21: Well what happened was he said he'd go up because he didn't know where it was at. And I told him where it was at. So I said, now this, I said I would, so I said I'd like to know and he said no. So anyway, I followed him, but the tenant didn't see me. It was around the corner. Well, the tenant admitted he'd smoke in marijuana, and so then the manager comes around the corner and he said, I told you in yelling at me, I told you not to follow me. Why would you do that? And I said because I wanted to make sure you were doing something because nothing's been done so far. So anyway, he said, I'm going to I'm going to do a cease in.
Speaker 3: This order on you.
Speaker 22: So that wasn't good.
Speaker 21: So anyway, where I'm at right now, Tom is I've written three letters for a termination of leaf and I've been closed pictures. One of the main things here also is the safety wait for paying for this lecture. Rodge door has been broken and anybody can come in and out of the back round.
Speaker 9: I think grad O'Brien for after the breakd time. I mean, she's got so much going on.
Speaker 6: Hey, Pam, Pam, I want to ask you one thing wrong, Pam. I want to ask you something. No, no, we were saying we're going to talk to we were going to talk to our attorney about it for you. But I want to ask you something. Will they let you out of the lease?
Speaker 21: You know, I've written three letters they won't. At one point I had said I would not go down because he was harassing me.
Speaker 2: How long have you How long have you lived there?
Speaker 13: I've lived there.
Speaker 21: I just renowed my lease in September. I lived there a year and now he wats September the lyrics?
Speaker 6: Okay, so well, so the how is the smoking affecting you?
Speaker 21: Well, it's affected me. I have buff I've got a doctor's letter here. I have pulmonary fibrosis. Okay, it's a non smoking upbuilding. Plus I have a doctor's note also about my anxiety and how.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that part I can't help you with. I can help you with. But if they're smoking on the deck, can you actually smell it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can smell marijuana driving through Denver.
Speaker 6: Oh all right, hold on, hold on and we'll come back to you. Let's try to get Brad O'Brien on more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Ripped of.
Speaker 2: News, need advice? Who you don't have?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 4: Come running just as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 5: Come man, This is the Troubleshooter Show. Now, Tom Martine, Hi.
Speaker 6: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talks seven one, three, eight, two five five. Hope everything is going all right with you? This hour brought to you by Dan McKenzie. He is an attorney at law for a state planning He is both small enough to give you that personalized attention with U with a boutique law firm, but big enough to get the job done.
Speaker 2: Everything you need done right.
Speaker 6: And we've gotten many great reviews about Dan McKenzie mackenzie Law. Whether you need a trust, whether you need a will, or you're facing probate, want to avoid probate, or you're looking at another creative way to pass on assets, which is he does LLC's for that purpose with the family involved.
Speaker 2: It's a cool idea.
Speaker 6: So McKenzie Law eight three to three COO plans. Let's continue, try.
Speaker 9: And say Craig's back up with an update from a rapa ho Kia.
Speaker 6: Oh, I want to I want to, Well, why don't you sum it up?
Speaker 2: Mark some of up?
Speaker 9: Well, there's not much to sum up, according to the caller. And I still find it hard to believe he brought his vehicle in because it was stuck in fourth gear. It's like a twenty seventeen Kia something or other. They put a transmission in it. After they get it approved by him, it's thirty two hundred bucks. Then they call them up, according to Craig, and say, hey, that didn't fix it. We have to do something else and put a computer in it. It's going to be another three grand. So then they put that computer in it. So now we owe sixty two hundred or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: It's up to eight grand with this.
Speaker 9: Yes, now it's up to eight grand all of a sudden, and the vehicle still does not work. In fact, now instead of being stuck in fourth gear, it's stuck in first gear. And they, according to Craig, once again, are saying he's going to owe all the money for these parts that didn't fix it. And they're so over their head at this point they have to call up Kia directly and get them out. They're an engineer to figure out what's going on with his card. But once again the main problem is they're, according to Craig, wanting to charge them for everything that didn't fix it.
Speaker 6: So Craig, what's your updates.
Speaker 12: Let's also not forget that we reached out to Kia twice twice.
Speaker 10: Did they hung up?
Speaker 2: You reached out and got hung up. Yeah, they're horrible.
Speaker 9: I mean to me, their communication skills are that of a zero year old.
Speaker 13: Go ahead, Craig, right, you think that, Well, I get the same thing. It's like talking to a brick wall. I got a you know.
Speaker 10: I finally got a hold of them.
Speaker 13: After being on hold, called two different numbers. Anyways, finally got a hold of them, and CJ got on the phone, the service rider and he says, I didn't say anything. I waited for him to say something. He says, what is this about? You calling this this radio talk show?
Speaker 16: And you know we're not going to talk to them?
Speaker 13: And I said why not? He says, if you don't have nothing to hide, I says, listen, you guys told me. You know, I figured it's the five hundred and three thousand dollars figs maximum. Well, you tell me the transmission.
Speaker 10: I paid for it.
Speaker 13: I paid fifteen hundred for the part I stole aw the labor, Okay, I can pay for that right now. If that was the case, then you tell me, oh that's not it's the piece. Yeah. So now I you know, I just got the poll of them, and I says I shouldn't have to pay for that. I mean, this isn't you know, I'm paying for your going for your mcchesis.
Speaker 9: So what they say, Craig, what was their answer to everything you just dished it?
Speaker 13: I'm sorry. Their answer was, oh, well, you know, there's.
Speaker 7: Certain things that we have to check out.
Speaker 13: I go, you don't replace parts that don't need to be replaced. Bottom line is they says, we're waiting for the engineering department to get back with us, and we'll get it picked.
Speaker 10: Says I go.
Speaker 13: In the meantime, my bill's going to go up, and I don't have the money.
Speaker 9: Right right, Craig, Craig, Craig, hold on, I've got to ask you, Craig. I've got to ask you a question after the conversation where they still saying they were going to charge you for the parts.
Speaker 2: That did not fix it?
Speaker 10: Right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Okay, you know what, Craig, I want to meet you there at two fifteen today. I will meet you at a rap a ho key at two fifteen.
Speaker 6: But Craig, when you asked him though, that's a good question, Mark, and I hope you do meet him. But when you did say to them, though, Craig, do you expect me to pay for repairs that did not fix the problem. What do they say?
Speaker 13: They always told me, well, you know, we'll work with you.
Speaker 10: I go, what does that.
Speaker 13: Mean we'll work with you?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a lot different, Craig.
Speaker 13: We have finance companies that you can get financed.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not a differential. No, no, no, no, Craig. Can you get there at two fifteen?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 2: Your neigh bro?
Speaker 13: Yeah? But I you know, I know, you know. Do you think that's a good idea?
Speaker 2: What do you mean it's is your car still there?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Okay, then let's go down while you're there, and I'll have a conversation with whomever you're dealing with, and let's get to the bottom of it. Because, quite frankly, I'm going to be very honest with you, Craig, and I don't mean this as an insult, because I'm going to meet you and.
Speaker 6: Help you out and drag you through this. But I don't think you know what you're talking about. I find it hard to believe a dealing Doug franchise or ownership whatever the hell he calls him, a dealership is doing this.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna find out, damnit.
Speaker 6: And if they are doing it, we're gonna let everybody know what they're doing, and they're.
Speaker 13: Gonna lie to you just like they lied to me.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, they can lie to me all the time, Craig, I'm putting you on whole brother. Here's the bottom line, Kelly. Tell them I'll be there at two fifteen. Give Craig my cell phone number. If I get there and he's not there and he doesn't call me, I'm gonna lose it on Craig. Okay, all right now, Pam. Back to Pam. Pam, we can't get a hold of our real estate. We can't get a hold of our real estic state attorney.
Speaker 21: I said, what's where it's at right now is I've written letters of termination. I've decided I'm going to terminate my leaf. I wrote one on October twentieth. I wrote another one on October thirtieth, and I'm not one that I haven't sent to them up for November and I've heard nothing. There's nothing, no response whatsoever from them about about it.
Speaker 2: Is that here's what I'm going to do. No, here's what we're going to do.
Speaker 6: You have to do this the correct way, and if they, if they, they might let you out of the least because you can't stand the smoking. And what what I'm going to do is I'm going to have Deputy.
Speaker 2: Doc A call down there for.
Speaker 21: You can meet me here.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't know.
Speaker 21: I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding, Tom.
Speaker 6: He is he is looking for he's on the prowl issue, will yes, Pam.
Speaker 21: So, Tom, there is a safety issue with the garage door being open.
Speaker 13: So I know that.
Speaker 6: So I understand it's probably better you get out of there. It sounds like you're very unhappy. Can I ask a question, though? Where is this place hold on? Guys, Pam? I really want to know.
Speaker 13: So it's is it?
Speaker 9: Is it all this stuff or is there something another reason you want to get out of there? Because you were there a year and none of this seemed to be a problem. Now everything's a problem.
Speaker 21: Well, the thing is, I don't know when this guy came in with the marijuana smoking. I've just noticed it since I It wasn't that first year. I didn't have that. Okay, it's just been since you know.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you, what does he smoke or does.
Speaker 21: He pardon No, I don't know it was marijuana. I mean, it was so strong you couldn't. I have a lovely patio. I keep my apartment beautiful, and I'm seventy point in.
Speaker 22: Your house the whole time.
Speaker 21: And my husband's eighty two, and I couldn't even sit down on this patio because of smell. I don't know if you ever smelled marijuana.
Speaker 16: Was so I never smelled it.
Speaker 21: Oh my god, you would never forget it for the rest of your life.
Speaker 9: I heard if you smell it, you're act actually getting a buzz off of it. Is that true time?
Speaker 16: I never spilt.
Speaker 21: I've never smelled it in my life.
Speaker 2: It depends on how deep you breathe. I remember I was smoke you know.
Speaker 6: I was a kid of the sixties and seventies. I never smelled it in my life. Not at any of the concerts he went to at Virginia. Yeah, not at college there. I didn't smell any marijuana anywhere.
Speaker 21: So anyway, three or three yeah, maybe doing I don't know, but anyways, I mean, he admitted it.
Speaker 6: He listen on a serious note, seriously, if it's a non smoking establishment, it should be non smoking, and you have a right to expect it.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, I'm serious about that.
Speaker 6: So I don't blame you for being upset, and that's why we're putting deputy.
Speaker 9: Do you think Tom really she could do a constructive eviction based upon someone smoking outside on their.
Speaker 2: Patio because it's a no smoking building.
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean, I mean they're violating they're violating her own you know. Yeah, the door, the safety thing with the door, that's something too.
Speaker 2: But you know, here's the deal.
Speaker 6: If somebody wants to get out, that's different.
Speaker 2: Why would you keep someone?
Speaker 20: Now?
Speaker 6: If she wanted to try to force them to do something about it, that might be where it becomes more difficult three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Hi, Tom Martin know three all three seven on three talk seven and three two five to five. All right, So what have we got going on? Let's talk.
Speaker 6: Let's talk to you about your problems, questions and complaints.
Speaker 2: And Pete wants to talk about selling a business. Hi Pete, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 7: Guys, thanks for thanking Michael.
Speaker 25: I've been listening. Let's start you guys started.
Speaker 2: I think, thank you man.
Speaker 25: I have a small business and I just turned seventy and it's time to retire.
Speaker 13: I think I.
Speaker 25: Don't really know that. I've been told one to three times a year's profit is a reasonable price for a small business?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, there is.
Speaker 6: It depends really on the on the field you're in, because there is no real rule.
Speaker 2: Of thumb that works for every circumstance.
Speaker 6: So if you want to just talk about your business, we can try to give you advice based on past past experience.
Speaker 2: So what is your business?
Speaker 25: I can't we talk about that. I don't want them to know.
Speaker 2: Well, how man?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 2: How about asset wise?
Speaker 9: Like, when you sell your business, if I was going to buy it, does it include equipment? Truck stuff like that? What does it include? And what's the dollar amount of that stuff?
Speaker 25: It really only includes a customer list opportunity for them to eliminate their only competitions and remove the option for their often unhappy customers.
Speaker 6: But okay, so you can't say anything about what kind of business?
Speaker 2: Is it a service business?
Speaker 25: It's a service business?
Speaker 10: Okay, kids?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 25: It involves kids?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: So if you have a service business that involves kids and you have a customer list only, they're not getting they're not inheriting a lease, they're not inheriting any equipment, they have no real estate, nothing but a customer list, I think. And how big is the customer list?
Speaker 25: Okay, one hundred names on it? But portional to them?
Speaker 10: I know that.
Speaker 6: I'm asking you how many active customers active are on your list?
Speaker 13: Thee hundred right now?
Speaker 9: And do they pay monthly yearly? Are they repeat customers?
Speaker 25: They pay a month a monthly fee one hundred and twenty five dollars apiece?
Speaker 2: And how long have they been with you? The average.
Speaker 25: Turns over, say at about one hundred to one hundred and twenty five all the time entry.
Speaker 6: Okay, and so they get one hundred and twenty So you're making every month twelve thousand, five hundred.
Speaker 2: Hello, he's probably got expenses, I would again, Well, I.
Speaker 6: Know, but I'm talking about gross revenue. Is it twelve five hundred a month, sir.
Speaker 7: Five hundred a month?
Speaker 25: And I don't have a lot of expenses because I trade frail service to a big business for a back corner of their business to run my business.
Speaker 6: I'm getting it, but it's it's still not Listen carefully, it's random.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 13: And grand a month?
Speaker 11: Is there a service that you personally provide?
Speaker 2: What time?
Speaker 6: What time does it take you? I feel like we're on a trivia show. I don't know this thing so top secret you can't say what it is because he doesn't want his competition.
Speaker 2: To know that he's selling.
Speaker 11: God, Listen, if it's a service that you provide, it's going to be much more. Let me give you an example. When one of my colleagues decided to retire and sold me his patient list. The number of patients that actually came to see me was much less because they wanted to see him and they were traveling from parts of the.
Speaker 6: But but there's more to it than that. If it's service, but the main the main factor that's called retention. Okay, that that's normal retention. You're gonna get a reduction. The real thing to consider is the time. In other words, if this guy, if you have one hundred customers, but it takes you several hours. Many owners don't consider their time, and their time is an expense because if someone buys your list, they will have to substitute that time to service the list.
Speaker 2: So I'm just asking a simple question.
Speaker 6: If you have one hundred clients, what does it take to service those one hundred clients?
Speaker 2: How many man hours does it take?
Speaker 25: Work about fifteen hours a week?
Speaker 2: Who you do?
Speaker 10: I do?
Speaker 2: Okay? So when you go, well, of course it no employees.
Speaker 6: But your time's worth something. Okay. So if you're working sixty hours to get those one hundred clients, what is your time worth? Because if you're not there, someone's got to substitute those sixty hours to service those one hundred clients.
Speaker 2: So they're not inheriting one hundred clients.
Speaker 6: They're inheriting way less than that. When you take the expenses involved, or you take the one hundred times the fifty time, you take the one hundred times the one twenty five, that's what you say, so, then you have twelve five. Now you have to subtract from twelve five sixty hours of labor. What is labor worth?
Speaker 25: Customers can just plug into their system.
Speaker 6: So it doesn't take There is no labor whatsoever to maintain one hundred customers and what's that?
Speaker 25: Just go away and they just plug my people into their system.
Speaker 2: Someone else is doing it and making money off of it as well.
Speaker 6: Tom, I understand that, but he says they're just going to plug his So when they take on and I'm really trying to understand this, when they take on one hundred new customers, there will be not one cent of in increase in their expenses, is what you're saying.
Speaker 25: A big franchise accommodate one hundred more people in a heartbeat.
Speaker 6: Without any increase in expenses. I just keep asking until I get an answer. They will have not because if that's more person, okay, because you know, I'm not saying I'm not saying you don't have anything to sell, but you have twelve five hundred in revenue to sell.
Speaker 2: That's what you have minus expenses.
Speaker 6: So whatever, if it's only one person, you don't have a lot of expenses. So Let's say you have ten thousand a month to sell in revenue. But then again, that's not guaranteed revenue. As Deputy Doc said, now we got retention. Do you think if your customers went somewhere else they would stay with that someone else.
Speaker 7: I've utch your choice.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you're the only two games in town, are.
Speaker 25: For my competition to eliminate me as their competition you don't have.
Speaker 2: This is like Peewee's Fun House. How many listen?
Speaker 6: Man, you're really trying to get advice, yet we're getting no information. May I ask another question? How many customers do they have?
Speaker 25: Probably fifteen hundred or two thousand.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're not competition, they think I am. Well, if they think you are and you have one hundred customers, then maybe they'll just buy you to get you out of business. So why don't you just yeah? Yeah, but I don't know. How How much do you think it's worth? That's a really important question. You know what you want? How much do you want in.
Speaker 25: One year's profits?
Speaker 6: What is your one year's profit on those people? If you take the gross revenues, the gross revenues come to one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 9: Grand, probably about one hundred after the fifteen hours a week, so.
Speaker 2: You would sell them for about one hundred grand? Is that right?
Speaker 9: To answer your question what you called about, I mean, is elusive as your being, I would say you're probably right on with the three times on an all service business.
Speaker 6: If in fact they're going to retain and they're going to move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent. Of course, that's the biggest part.
Speaker 9: I sold it when I sold an internet company that was based on most people paying between thirty and forty dollars a month for dial up internet. That's how long ago we're going. My competition was like AOL. When I sold that, I sold it for X times how long that customer was staying, and I got to see the books, and I also was able to see if those customers still hung around, So you can structure it like that. Once the customer hangs out for four months, you get full value for it.
Speaker 2: If they quit after.
Speaker 9: One month, you only get, you know, a little partition portion of it.
Speaker 2: Here's what they're getting for that.
Speaker 6: They're gonna get about a ten percent return on their money buying your business, ten to twelve percent, So it's you know, if it's solid, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to sell it. But as far as your original question, without knowing exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow what it is in it, I find it intriguing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, listen for somebody.
Speaker 13: I'm just seventy.
Speaker 10: I want to quit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get it.
Speaker 6: I so really you should give if you want more of a price more. It's really more advice than off the air. At least give some information that we will not share with anyone. Okay, why don't you do that? Three oh three seven one three talks seven to one three eight two five five.
Speaker 2: We have more coming right up.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martina, you're troubleshooter. Kevin Calkin shared an autotext. Some days we have tons of calls on cars, somedays we don't. But listen, I do have a text here. Have you heard of auto shops? He had to split auto?
Speaker 2: Oh he did?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, Mark. Have you heard of a lot of autoparts shops closing?
Speaker 2: Shannon? You have what consolidation?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Shannon is not there? What consolidation? What do you mean? Well, they get bought out by other ones? Yeah, but closing locations?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: That I don't know. I have no idea. But who's the big game in town? When it comes in the Vega stories? AutoZone?
Speaker 9: Uh, well it's GPC genuine parts company. Most people know they're product by NAPA.
Speaker 6: Oh you think they're bigger than like Advanced Autoparts or AutoZone?
Speaker 2: Ohriley.
Speaker 9: I don't know if like those three or zero all owned by the same conglomerate.
Speaker 2: I just don't know, all right.
Speaker 6: Hey, Kim, what's going on with a roofer? Sorry for the way, Kim, what's going on?
Speaker 22: Hello? I am a homeowner in Littleton, Colorado, and three years ago, almost three years ago, I had a company that come out and repair or replaced the entire roof fourteen Since then I have had this is my third issue with that.
Speaker 2: Now was this was this an insurance claim? I take it?
Speaker 22: No, this is directly the roofing company.
Speaker 2: So you paid directly.
Speaker 6: You did not have a storm, You just had a roof replaced, yes, sir, okay.
Speaker 2: And what's who's the roofer?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 22: Wow, I'm wrong. It was true insurance because it was hail damage. Okay, so the insurance homeowners did pick it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So who was the roofer?
Speaker 22: The roofing company is A and H roofing company out of Brighton.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what's your problem? Oh is it?
Speaker 22: Well, this is my third problem I've had with them. I've got a five year warranty. They did take care of the two first problems.
Speaker 2: When when was it replaced? When did you say it happened?
Speaker 22: It was the roof was replaced three years ago, about this time in twenty one?
Speaker 2: Okay, got it?
Speaker 22: Okay, November November twenty one. The first issue was about it was around Christmas, so just a couple of months after they replaced it. Yeah, my daughter looked in the front coat closet and there was a hole that you could completely see clear through the roof.
Speaker 2: Whoa okay, uh huh.
Speaker 22: And of course it comes through and it damaged the ceiling, so it's.
Speaker 9: Still under warranty, right, Yes, are these guys had a brighton?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, they're on a referral list.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yes, okay, yeah, let's call it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kim, let's call Kim.
Speaker 6: I want to ask you a few things though. First, this hole you noticed from the closet. How long ago did you notice that?
Speaker 22: I noticed it a couple of months after it the roof was done.
Speaker 6: Did they fix it after you? Well, did they come back and fix it?
Speaker 22: Yes, sir, say, okay, fixing things since the problem and I realized that, you know, people make mistakes.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 22: The problem I'm having currently is, like I said, almost three years later, last week, with our snowstorm we had, I had come on from work and looked in my bedroom and this ceiling was completely I would say probably a twelve by twelve area on the ceiling was bubbled up, cracking, and definitely there was a week. Okay, so I have a swamp cooler on the roof. I could go into all the details of it, but I didn't know what it was. So my husband said you know he'd win orrized with swamp cooler. So my first thing was, well, maybe he did some with a swamp.
Speaker 6: Here's what I need you to do for me, Kim, Kim, I don't care about any of those details.
Speaker 2: Your roof was leaking, is that right?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, that's all that counts. That's all it counts. Are they going to fix it?
Speaker 22: You know he come out today. Tom the owner is very good about responding, but they're wanting to patch it.
Speaker 6: Well what else? What else would you hold on? Where it depends, Kim?
Speaker 2: Where is it leaking?
Speaker 22: It's leaking around the swamp cooler?
Speaker 6: Okay, well why would you want to patch? That's exactly what should be done. But it should be done the right way. It should be picked up and reflashed and do all that right.
Speaker 22: Yes, sir, And that's my only concern is I want it done correctly.
Speaker 2: Of course you do.
Speaker 22: Yesterday morning. Yesterday morning, I had just buy a fluke before I had talked to Tom at anh whiffing had sagged out because I thought, well, it could be something else.
Speaker 9: So I'm trying to get him on right now, by the way, So let's do this. So we have a few minutes time.
Speaker 2: Let's take out breaking out.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm Tom Martino, and we'll come back and get an answer from this roofing company, and then if we have time, we're going.
Speaker 2: To go to Peter as well.
Speaker 6: Right after this, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 2: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Wait time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. We'll shoot her three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. So let me quickly get to our callers, because uh, we don't want to run out of time here and we have dog.
Speaker 2: Oh there we go.
Speaker 6: Okay, so Kim on this roofer. We know the roofer. I mean, what I mean is that he's been on a referral list for many years. We know Tom the owner and all these people. They seem to be really good people. So we want to know what your concern is and we'll tell them, we'll call them.
Speaker 22: Okay, my concerns are. This is the third issue I've had with the replacement of the roof. My first one is is that hector come out this morning and said that he saw moved on top of the roof. Didn't even look inside of the attic inside of my home to find out where the roof cause of the weak is coming from.
Speaker 6: And wait, wait, wait, wait wait who told you? Who told you you had mold on your roof?
Speaker 22: His his foreman?
Speaker 6: Okay, now what do you mean? What do you mean mold on the roof? I don't get that because mold doesn't form on roofs.
Speaker 22: Well, apparently it's by the flat So where issue is at is by the swamp cooler.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, it's probably all going to come down to the swamp cooler. That's why most HVAC companies won't even install swamp coolers anymore. So we'll call out to Tom and figure it out. But are telling you it's the swamp coolers problem.
Speaker 22: No, they're saying it's a flashing problem.
Speaker 6: At it is a flashing problem. That's all there is to it. I mean, but what I want to know is I understand you're concerned because you've had a few issues.
Speaker 2: This is not the first one.
Speaker 6: If this was the only problem, you'd say, okay, but you you kind of have a feeling.
Speaker 2: That the whole job is bad. Is that what you're getting at?
Speaker 22: Yes, sir, I feel like it's being passed that they originally didn't do the work correctly well.
Speaker 6: And I doubt that, okay, And I'll tell you why I doubt it. Okay, it was done three years ago, and you've had a few problems, and they've come out for each and every one of them, and I will tell you that they're a pretty good roofing company.
Speaker 2: Look at it. I'm not I'm not making excuses for him.
Speaker 6: I swear to God. If we if you know, we can get someone to inspect it. Where are you located.
Speaker 2: First of all.
Speaker 22: In Littleton, Colorado?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm we can probably ask Henry to go out and look at it. You know, we can ask someone to go out and look at it. But I wouldn't assume you have a bad roof job. Or you can find someone independent to inspect your roof, you know, I mean, it's not difficult, just get someone honest. But we can do that as well. But but what we'd like to do is ask tom about it and make sure that yours is corrected. But if you're asking for the entire roof to be redone based on a few problems, it's okay. You just want to make sure you got what you paid for, yes, sir, And you got a good job. And I don't blame you one bit, Okay, I don't blame you. Yeah, there were it seems like there were some oversights that caused you some concern and I don't blame you for wanting to know if you got a good job. So hang on, Mark's writing this down and we'll check with them. We'll check with them on it, and we'll ask him straight up about it, and if we have to, we can get someone to check it out. Okay, So we have no problem with that. Three oh three seven oh. I'm not going to give out the number because we're almost out of time. But uh yeah, Mark, I mean you you followed with Tommy and just say find out what's going on, and then I want to thank By the way, shardan auto Tech for being here.
Speaker 2: Uh, he had to split.
Speaker 6: Kevin Colkin is a good, honest man, sharedan autotech dot com three oh four, three oh.
Speaker 2: Three, don't say it. Don't say it, Mark, don't say it. Shared an autech three oh three four five five seventy two forty two. Now, Chandra, thank you for being here. Cordevano and she is our common woman today. And be sure did you enjoy yourself? I did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's fun to see this all happening.
Speaker 2: And I got pizza. Yeah, that's true. She did get pizza.
Speaker 13: I did.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We see that's the thing. We all got pizza. They're kind of pizza that you get. We got normal pizza. What's that mean with the fish heads in there? Carap on it?
Speaker 6: No, No, we didn't do uh anchovies this time, but we usually do, but not this time.
Speaker 2: Anyway. On a serious note, Okay, here's what I want to tell you. Seriously.
Speaker 6: Now pass the word around that you can get help. Three oh three Martino. Okay, So if you have a consumer problem, question or complaint three oh three six two seven eight four six six. We do this for a reason. That's because we truly want to help you. And if you call that number, we will get back to you. That's three Oho three Martino, three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. Please leave a number that would help us a lot too, all right, and remember save all your problems for me,