Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome back to That's Not Matt. Last week we had a big reviews bag where we were tackling a whole bunch of sick new records that came out in May. But right now it's the beginning of June and this here is another edition of Hyperblast where we are with you every single week letting you know what's been going on in the world of heavy music, what releases you're going to want to hear from the world of heavy music, and have a good old natter all about that. That's what we're here to do. My name is Parian hairsh across from me to do this. Mark Anderson is back returning to the show. Hello Mark, Hello mate, how are you doing. I have had a very good week because I was at the weekend over in Scarborough on the North Yorkshire coastline for Fortress Festival, enjoying a whole load of very very evil and very sick black metal. So in today's show, at the end of this I'm gonna talk about that little time that I had, talk about all the elite black metal proceedings that went on. So if you are a hardcore black metal and then you are going to want to stick around for the end of this show where I talk about all of that. But before we do that, we have got the you know, the earlier Hyperblast section of the show to do, and we do have. It turns out a whole load of news just new tracks wise alone, before we get into the drama and controversies and all of that, just purely new singles and that this is a fruitful week. So let's first things first get underway with all of that. Let's start with perhaps probably most long awaited of these, mastered on back with a track that is called Your Ghost Again. This is I guess the lead single from their upcoming album. The album has not been officially announced. We don't have a release date or anything like that, but it does look like the album is going to be called Poisonous Weapons, with an album art that I think that you if you see the tour poster that they've announced for the US run that we're also going to talk about. I believe that that is also the album cover for the record when it comes out. Don't know yet, but we do have concrete evidence of a master on album around the corner, and even more than that, we've got a first track from it and Your Ghost again. Obviously, there are many levels of significance to this Just the fact that it's new mastered on alone I always find to be significant because they are one of the most consistently brilliant bands of the last twenty five years of heavy music, one of my favorite bands of all time, so that's always exciting. But there is a particular you know, significance to this one. I think it's like the longest gap they've had between albums, like five years between Hushed and Grim and this one. But even more than that, it's the first record without Brent Hinz, who obviously first left the band and then really sadly passed way a few months after that last year. And the way that this this track has been described, you know, they've kind of likened it to, you know, the experience of basically, you know, inhabiting a place and seeing out of the corner of your eye, you know, the ghosts of the people who you were maybe once in that place with, and they've specifically, you know, referenced essentially, you know, being in the studio and that kind of thing, and you know where where somewhere where they were so frequently obviously with Brent in the band and him him not being there. So that is the the thematic goings on of this track with that in mind, and there are definitely some more, you know, particularly lyrically, you know, emotionally heavier parts to this track, but this doesn't feel to me like one of those. Really, you're really pensive mastered on tracks in terms at least in terms of its sonic approach certainly. I remember when you know, Pushing the Tides came out as the lead single from the last record, and that's like a straight ahead banger, and then the record turned out to be a lot more, a lot more patient, and a lot more mood in melancholic maybe than just that first taste suggested. So who knows how much we might have to go on here, But I wasn't expecting such a frantic, heavy leading with this, like straight away when you press play, it's one of the crazier like late period mattered on riffs, Like there's a lot of notes in the riff, and then even as the song goes on there's like genuine organ breaks, like there's one that happens early on that I thought, whoa, that's something, and then later on it comes back in a sort of more extended form, and it's like a full on like twenty tens Opeth like doodlelywoodly prog organ part. And I did say that come in, but the song overall is quite crushing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this thing, I mean, that riff is so chaotic. It's almost like it's not too far away, too far removed from like a math core like maybe it's not math core, but it's like.
Speaker 3: It's an ingredient in the mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got that great sort of prog metal. I can't quite nailed down what time signature this is. It's such a bulldozer. And then at the end you get a proper like traditional heavy rift to bring it all back. It's great and yeah halfway through, but it goes full like Stephen Wilson.
Speaker 1: Like Sorceress full Rick Wakeman. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's a part that I can normally describe as Noodley. It's so good.
Speaker 1: I would go beyond Nudley and describe it as Boodley Woodly, you know what I mean. That's the level that we're looking.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, these guys have grown extra mustaches right in that part. It's kind of how are you feeling about it. I'm really I'm really happy with it. I think this is song is so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it a lot. I mean, there's never been a lead single from a Maston record that I haven't love. Me, There's never been a Maston record I haven't loved really, but certainly the first taste of them, they're always like, yeah, the boys are back, you know what I mean? This one did strike me in the So when the chorus from Brand comes in, obviously, it's a clean, melodic chorus like the song's about, you know, four or five minutes long, which is sort of in the rough ballpark of you know, Latter Day, last fifteen years or so mastered on stuff. But when the chorus comes in, it doesn't feel quite as radio as like it's not a it's not show yourself obviously, But even when you compare it to songs like Pushing the Tithe for example, you know, the lead single from the previous record, so it's like high Road or whatever any of those, when Brand's vocal comes in, it's not quite as like piercingly melodic. It has this slightly more haunted, psychedelic sort of effect on it, you know, with him doing the I Saw your Ghost again reverberating around and it's still like it's a good hook. I like that melody, but it does feel, I say, a little bit more shadowy maybe then your traditional like big brand led mastered on chorus tends to be. And then we factor that in alongside it, as we said, the kind of the more like more aggressive end of later Day mastered on riffing, but then also the full on like left field prog rock parts beyond what is in the standard Masterdon song. I think it's a really interesting and surprising mixture of elements and components to having, like here's your first taste of a new Masterdon song. Obviously, you know, not having Brent in the band. When the lead part comes in, it's not Brent, you know, it doesn't kind of cascade into your ear the way Brent lead parts always would. But it does have this real roaring, squalling kind of part towards the end that fits again the sort of vitriolic nature of the song and then that final riff that you were talking about. The production credits for this track and I guess the rest of the album are kind of mad because apparently it's co produced by Kurt Balu, which we know that guy, and the promise of a Kurt Blue produced Masterton record is just that should get every single heavy music fan's tongue absolutely, you know, salivating, and that that riff crunch bit at the end does feel like, yeah, that's what you want from that, but that it's co produced along with Kurt by a guy called Patrick Berger, who is a Swedish producer I believe who is most if you look him up, he's most known for doing pop musicians, as in Charlie XCX, Carli ray Jepsen. He co wrote Dancing on My Own by Robin, one of the most like beloved pop songs the last twenty years. And he's even worked with Taylor Swift. And so you've got a Taylor Swift collaborator, co writer of you know these great Robin hits or whatever, and Kurt Blou and what the fuck is that? As a like, yeah, those the two guys we're going to get collaboratively, like make guy record that's fucking weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah you did that.
Speaker 2: And then also, like you say, the song itself having so many different components, what the fuck is this record?
Speaker 1: I like?
Speaker 3: That makes me?
Speaker 2: I mean I was already so excited. I love master Don but like, what the fuck.
Speaker 3: Is this record gonna be?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Again, there's lots of anticipation expections of the record considering just the circumstances around it. But just like what we have from a first taste here, and like the credits on the record are slightly bizarre and so yeah, I echo exactly what you said. I'm always excited for Mastered On. I wouldn't say I'm like any more excited for this Mastered On than any other one in their history, because they're just a band who I've always loved, but color me intrigued as ever, and I have very much enjoyed, you know, the time I've spent with this first trap from it and just to follow follow up and polish off the the Mastered On news, they have as said, they've announced a US tour. They have toured the US so much in the last like five years. Come and do whatever here please, but full US run later this year. As I said, if you want to get a look at what seems like it's going to be the album cover, I imagine it's the crazy Beastie that's on this tour poster, but the bill, they've just put together a black Gaze bill for some reason. They're being supported by Death Heaven and alcest which is like a cool. Mastardon have such diverse touring partners, like if you look at all the runs that they've been able to do, and it's cool that they can lean into any one direction this time, but this time going like, yeah, we're gonna get like the two most important bands in a particular subgenre that we don't really have anything to do with, but we guess like some of our fans might. Like if you are a US based black gays loving Mastodon fan, and that is the dream night.
Speaker 3: Give me that. I'm so jealous. That is the ideal night for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good. As said, don't know when the album's going to be coming out now, but of course we will be looking forward to it. We do have more concrete news about the new album from Weezer, which is going to be coming on August the twenty first. Obviously, we knew it was a Weser album coming. We already had a song a handful of weeks ago, but now we have news several into details here. It is a self titled record. From Weezer, which obviously means also it's a colored album. It is the Gold album, which for some reason I never entered my head as a color that Weezer had left to do. But I'm like, yeah, the Gold album sounds fucking cool, you know. I mean, there's a there's a ring to it. What I don't like is that they're not on the album cover, because that has to be a colored album tradition. I want to I think they should be like prospectors, you know. They should have been like in like eighteenth century mining gear with a giant pick over their shoulder, being like, oh gold, you know what I mean. Instead, it's just it looks like, I don't know, they watch the throwne album cover or something, which is not as cool.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't look like a rock album, which whatever. You're right, they should be dressed like Stinky Pete from Toy Story two, like.
Speaker 1: Exactly, imagine you have fun that they could have.
Speaker 2: Remember Golden Nuggets, the serial, Just those four guys put the donkey next to them.
Speaker 1: Come on, where is the Golden Nuggets album?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 1: You have fucked up. But I will let them off because there's also a single out called we Might as Well Be Strangers, which features the band Wednesday, who I confess I don't we know anything about, but I understand that they are a recently, you know, fairly popular band in the kind of the more alternative leaning world. But this song considering as said, we got a track from this record like a month or so ago, and we spoke about it and I'm like, yeah, this is like solid, but it didn't grab the headlines right. The mainly interesting thing about it was that it was like the first song in about twenty years that Patrick Wilson had written. It was a fine, but didn't necessarily jump out to us so immediately as like, this is a standout Weezer song. This track, I mean, for a start, this is like an emo song like that. I can't remember the last time that Weezer had this like organic level of production sound. I mean, obviously that was okay human, but that obviously lent in a very particular kind of classical direction. This is like an old school, almost nineties esque emo. We's a song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's proper like throwback to nineties alt rock. Like River sounds raw on it, not that he's like screaming and yelling, but.
Speaker 3: You can hear the cracks in his voice.
Speaker 1: I know what I mean. Yeah, there's the.
Speaker 2: Roughness to it, and that the interval sort of like bassing guitar on top of each other. It reminds me of the debut Placebo album and like stuff like that, and like you say, Emo and all this, and it's so I mean, I'm head over heels for this. I'm so so happy. I don't care if they're not on the album cover. Just give me the album, like, yeah, maybe laugh on. The opening line of the song is happy birthday, thanks for the value.
Speaker 1: That just strikes herre in an interesting way. At the third time you hear it, Nancy and you know said vicious references a bit played out, but whatever, the song is lovely. Like I agree, like the guitar and vocal melodic harmony that goes on with that core riff is brilliant. I said, I don't really know much about Wednesday, but like decent counterpoint to you know, Rivers on the second verse of it kind of reminds me of you know, the song go Away with the singer from Best Coast, which is the one that blew up on TikTok. Really bizarrely like a couple months ago and became huge, So maybe this will be I don't know, purposefully, I don't know, and I don't know if I want to call it as cynical as that, But what I was going to say is that maybe it could tap into a similar effect, right if there are people who are you know, have been enjoying that song, maybe it's their first Weezer song, it's you know, reasonable, and then this one comes out. It's like, ah, that kind of has a slightly similar sort of you know, duet flavor to it. And I agree. Even though like it's quite a you know, languid, melancholic kind of song, there's a really like passionate delivery to it, particularly on the Bridge. There's a real like urgency that Rivers approaches it with and I haven't heard him like that in a long time.
Speaker 2: Actually, there's there's one song on Hurley where he sort of does that, but like, you know, I mean for me, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, and.
Speaker 2: It's nice to hear him sound urgent, like he needs to get something out. Because he's our sweet little like songwriting machine man, it's not often that we hear like actual emotion from him. And on the chorus. The chorus melody is so bittersweet and so big and so catchy. But the thing that really like lifts it, even though it's already brilliant, is.
Speaker 3: That if I say you were a song.
Speaker 2: Bit it was just like it's like you're you've ascended the mountain. You think you're at the top. Oh shit, there's still more mountain to go. You know, it brings something greater and makes it greater. Like I've listened to this song oh God times today.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I know nothing about Wednesday, but she's got a great voice, that great like lacks of daisical, sort of too cool for school vibe. She really compliments Rivers on the verse like I think this is the best Weezer song Ah God.
Speaker 3: In ages.
Speaker 1: I will answer that obviously. This is the first major Weser project since the Season's records, which are like two three years old at the stage, and they were wank. So the last time Weezer were good was twenty twenty one, when they put out both Okay Human and Van Weezer. Yeah, and this is unquestionably the best material since then. So we had five years of you know, uh some in between Wheezer years. As happens, they drift away, they come back. We all know this. This is the cycle of the Weezer fan. It's not new, but on the strength of you know, the first single was decent, maybe all you know jump out to us more when we got the full record, this one is a great Weezer song, and it feels like, after you know, five years since the last time they were good, off the back of this song we can go, it seems like Weezer are good again because this is a really strong song.
Speaker 2: I hope, so I want to believe. I always believe. Also, I have a boom to pick. Everything is surrounding the announcement of this album is like the twentieth album from Weezer. We're not doing this. We're not counting each season's EP as an album.
Speaker 1: We can and that might also include Teal, which you know is up for debate whether you include covered album or not. So I lost track of weeze like even though we've done the full special talking about every single week, but I have one track of what counts and what doesn't. But it does seem like this might be the first good Weezer album since Okay, Human and Van Weezer came out five years ago, so fucking sweet, I do believe. Then we also have a few weeks ago there was a little period where the signs seemed to be pointing to Greta van Fleet of course, the band who've never heard Led Zeppelin before in their lives, possibly splitting up. And instead, once we put that show out, it was announcement of like, oh no, we're back, guys. We had like a two three year hiatus whatever, but we're back, and we went okay, all right, fine and moved on. But now they're like actually properly back, and they've put out a single called play or Games. And this is again, I guess the big you know, reveal of their kind of comeback routine right now. I'll be real with you, this song as it's been released right now, I don't think I needed to spend any time with because where we also got the announcement a couple weeks ago, it is like, oh no, they're not breaking up there, They're still around. There was like footage that went round of them playing this song together, and that fucking chorus right of matey boy going play a guy became like a vocal stym for me for at least like two three days, Like I was walking around, I'm like, okay, that's it. I'm in a way, I'm almost glad gretvan Fleet are back just because of how like I don't know, like weirdly addictive not listening to the full song fuck that, but just watching the five to ten in that turned out to be. How is that Like there's at such an incredible level of either lack of self awareness or just not caring at all, that that is such a thing that they could be beaten with that, Like people have always said that amongst you a led Zeppelin, whatever, aerosmith Sventy's rock type clones, he has a particularly shrill voice and pushing it that far and being like, yeah, that's the hook of our comeback single. In a way I have to respect it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I like? This song is a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Sort of I don't know how to even think about it because objectively it's horrid. It's really stupid, and like you say, it's like it's either really lazy and like, oh who gives a ship we can put it out anything, or a delusion of grandeur. I like to believe it's a delusion of grandeur I have. I think it is the two such a such a soft spot. And you'll know this as my long suffering best mate. If music is funny, I really just like it.
Speaker 3: It is bad, I'll find it funny.
Speaker 2: Therefore I will like it, especially if something is like so confident and like trying to be like a party starting, like come on, guys, we're all dancing. It's a boogie, we're funking, and it's that bad and that embarrassing. I really I find that so infectious and so funny. I've listened to the song, I mean a few times today. Earlier I was I was cooking dinner with my brother and I was like, do you want to hear this stupid song we have to talk about? I put it on and by the end we were like clapping along, adding your own like whoa yeah, come on, like really getting into it considering it's crap. It's so infectious, like like you, I'm glad they're back because that chorus makes me happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm somewhat sillller that. Like I said, I was just like just just vocal ticking that frages when it was first revealed. But what what come back what returning the single? Yeah, kind of surprised that this has come out so soon, I suppose, but they're striking on theye and is hot. I'm poyed to serve. I've got a new single. I believe this is. I'm going to take this as currently a standalone saying rather than a reveal avenue record or anything, because obviously the Fallen Start record is just a year old now. But you know, if you've got a track, why not why not put it out? Dead reckoning from Employed to Serve and this considering the last album Lent the furthest they ever had into like it's kind of mainstream adjacent net will feel right, like songs for big festival stages that kind of vibe. This starts with.
Speaker 4: A fucking like brutal death metal like slamming riff, Like this is way more brutal than anything they've done in a hot minute, like Justine's doing some like kind of more necrotic shit, which does like the look in my eyes that kind of stuff. There's frantic like spidery lead guitars crammed into every nook and cranny, you know it. There's a bit about like one minute fifty in where Sammy just hits this like weird like gorguts tech death kind of way, kind of god and sticking this on was like, oh shit, Okay, I know, obviously, I know that you guys have this in you, but I didn't expect to be hit with it at this exact moment. And I'm certainly not mad about it.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I had no idea what to expect, like you, but then immediately being hit by like an employed to serve song that like has suffocation in it wicked. I mean, it's so heavy, it's so brutal, that bit where Sammy hits the like fucked up guitar, and then it's sort of the song sort of is building to something grand. I thought we were going to go into a big like solo section or something, and then a big melodic but still sort of like a fucked up like choir melody comes in and I'm like, oh shit, this rips. It's so good, like it's almost I don't know. They seemed like a band who were just always creating and always wanting to write stuff, And I think it's obviously very natural for people who love metal as much as we know they do if they write something slightly more commercial in the last record.
Speaker 3: Fuck it, why not just put a death metal song with a great beatdown in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so cool that that breakdown part is so like twenty ten Death Corps almost like it's sap. Like that breakdown sounds like it'd be on a new era of corruption by White Chapel, you know, and that's kind of the clean, cleaner I suppose, the kind of melodic, you know, multi tracked bridge bit that is the part that to me sounds like the strongest you know, continuation on from what they have been doing, and that it sounds a little bit like when you hear like the big gang vocal tracking from bands like Beleef and Within and stuff like that, who are sort of in the similar realm of what you know. Latter Day Employed Observe has been like that stuff is still in there, but this is just a like way more of you know, fast and aggressive, brutal you know, slut on that. And I agree, you know, when you take the last record and yeah, we spoke about how diverse the last record is when we reviewed. It's like that, here's like a weird goth metally song, Here's a song with Jesse Leach on here's a song with like electronics like it was, you know, try and stuff out. When you take all of those things and then also factor this like as you say, kind of suffocation adjacent employed to serve song in with that, then they have, like you got to give him a lot of credit for covering a lot of ground even in just like the last eighteen months, let alone their entire you know, catalog up to this point. But a very nice surprise getting not just a new employer serve track, but one that is like this fucking no nonsense with its brutality. So definitely check that one out if you haven't already. Even more new music, we've got a new album from Jamie Lenman on the Way, who seems to have taken his like brief little couple year retirement period and gone. Now I've not got that in me at least for now, because he seems to just have come back to making records and so on. But there is a new album which is called Puke. It's gonna be out on August the seventh. There's a single from that called not Likely as well, but new Jamie Lenman on the Way. That's all good exciting new music stuff. Let's shift gears a little bit and talk about something stupid and horrible both, But here we go. It's our job to report this stuff. Bal Morra, who were one, say were? I don't know if they were or are. Everything's fucking up in the air with this at the moment, but bal Mora one of the most hyped, certainly bands of the like metalcore revival right of the for the past like two years. I would say they've kind of felt like the chosen ones of that scene, like considering I'm talking like, you know, two thousand and two esque, you know, revival, so called real metalcore right, and we get so many of those bands coming out of the hardcore scene. But the one of those bands who have emerged in the last you know, handful of years who seemed to be building the most like steam behind them is this band bal Mora. We spoke about on the show before. They had like a run of several EPs that were all again continually like each one more so I hyped and built up a lot of steam, all of which was you know, lending a lot of anticipation to when they would put out a debut album. We've been saying that for a while, like, yeah, when the debut BAMAR album out, we'll review it and all of that stuff. That album came out last Friday, and immediately considering I already thought it could have been an interesting conversation, considering I was seeing like mixed responses, like both very positive and very negative about actually the debut album and all the whether it fulfilled or didn't fulfill the hype that they had going into it. But pretty much as soon as it was out, they got hit by that old you know, scourge of the rock and particularly Parkore and punk scene sexual misconduct allegations, and their guitarist, Jay Torbler, who was the focus of those allegations, was announced to have stepped away from the band. But since then it's just sort of like snowballed in terms of I guess primarily people taking umbradge with the wording of their statements and how you know, well or poorly they may have expressed and faced up to these things, and this kind of snowball of negativity surrounding that seems to have gone further to the point where the entire existence of the band currently seems up for you know, like I said, it's uncertain, right. Their initial statement, I will readoubt is in the past few days, we've seen the evidence and screenshots of the behavior of our guitarist engaging with someone under age. We the other four members, Danny, Paul, Collin and Chaz don't fuck with us at all. Obviously, Jay will be stepping away from the band, and our summer tour will continue as planned. We're sorry, what's for what seems like a lack of transparency, Just trying to figure out how to navigate and continue all the shows we have booked and planned to play. All of our love goes out to the promoters, are tour mates, and everyone who fucks with us on some real shit balmorra. That was the initial statement, and I think, quite reasonably a lot was made of the fact that they end the statement not by even though they are saying, you know, we do not condone this this behavior, and Jay, you know, will be stepping away from the band, they end the statement not by expressing solidarity with you know, the victims, but to going thanks to all the promoters and our tour mates, right, and everyone who is still supporting with us. And I think, like I said, quite reasonably, a lot of people went, hey, that's it doesn't seem like the people you should be you know, referring to in this exact scenario, and there was a lot of backlash against that of you know, are they taking this particularly seriously? Shall we say? The follow up to this is that one of those members, their bassist, Danny Kuneo, put up another sort of follow up thing where he says, I said, this shit band is nuked. Don't fuck with all this weirdo shit, my fault slimes. I'm out. I started this shit years ago with my homie Brandon kind of a turned into a shitty monster of a band. Don't fuck with people using their bands to act. We're talking to their who are younger slash vulnerable, and yeah, like the final part of that is essentially the crux of the matter. So I don't want to cast any more over that is what it is right now. But I'm not alone in thinking that just like the inability to form a sentence in a way that is like mature, you know what I mean, is a major part of what's actually upset people here, Like this continual wording of statements like fucking fake gangsters, basically like saying my fault slimes, which I had to like audibly quash my laughter while reading that out. When I'm talking about sexual miscondut allegations, I should not be laughing at that, But it just feels so absurd to be reading that statement out loud, combined with again the initial statement where they were again thanking the tour mates and promoters and all of that, it just seems like people who are I know that they are younger musicians, right, like this is a group of a younger band, people who are like nineteen twenty whatever. It just seems like they don't really have the emotional maturity or like this just feel like a kind of state where you should have gone to an adult and gone, hey, maybe look over this a little bit, because they just come across like fucking idiots basically, which is not helpful to taking the matter in question seriously.
Speaker 3: It's far too casual.
Speaker 2: It's like they found out their guitars stole like someone's handbag.
Speaker 1: Is that time my fault slimes? I'm out, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so like it feels like not an ounce of thought went into it. Like, like I said, it's way too casual. It's way too, like trying to keep up some weird persona they have. It's kind of like you say, it's childish and not really it's a bad apology in a way. We haven't really seen them. Yeah, yeah, because they do acknowledge it and they do believe the victim. Otherwise the statement wouldn't be the way it is. But they never explicitly say that, like it's just yeah, I don't know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what they were thinking. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I said, it feels like people who do not have the skills required to have fought through this statement and put out something that is emotionally mature enough to be handling such extremely sensitive subject matter right where, you really want to read through these type things where you put and make sure that you are expressing what you want to express clearly right. That That would be my advice for anyone of any fucking profession or whatever, if you ever find yourself, like you know, for any reason, and you have to make some kind of statement of like yeah, I'm sorry about that, you want to fucking read through what you've put and make sure that you are really trying right, just like trying to genuinely be considerate of what it is that you're actually you know, taking accountability for and the fact that it does just come across, like as said, kids essentially who have not consulted with a mature adult about how to express this. It just like that's what stoked even more of the backlash against their apology, you know what I mean. And obviously, you know, if the primary you know, initia allegations are true, then it is a fucking shitty, horrible thing and that guy should not be in the band going forward. But the entire band seems to have combusted now over their collective inability to handle what you know, kind of came out of it in this way, which is people should take that as a lesson right in how to again how to handle yourselves in such situations. But this particular one scenario is stupid and disappointing on like, you know, several different levels in several ways. So there you go. As we said, the Balmore album came out last week and people got a you know, a day's worth of maybe discussing what they thought about it before this fucking fell apart. We were obviously going to review it, probably not surprise say, we're not going to do it now. But there you go. That is the the end of currently the bal Morra saga. Slightly better news, not loose. Are continuing on with the metallicatur that's to be clear. That is the good part of the news. They are continuing on with their Metallicator. They're supporting even though Isaac Hale just got hit by a car and he posted a little video of him with like, you know, you know, a cast or a sling or something on his arm, which I did see and think, fucking o, that's you know, heavy going. Just from a guitarist point of view, right, obviously you want to be able to coherently play guitar when you're fucking supporting Metallica, And I don't know, clearly it can't have been you know, it hasn't stopped him doing that, So that is again very good news. Fair play the puns obviously, the jokes about the scenario here and the name of their band and all of that do very much right themselves. But glad that Isaac is okay and moving on with this lamp of murmur. This week, speaking of statements, they have put out a statement unfortunately saying that they are going to be canceling the majority of there are a handful in Europe that are still on that they are canceling the majority of their live shows this year for our most immediate purposes. That does include Damnation, the UK date they had unfortunately, the reason being is that m of the primary guy in Lamber Murma has relocated. He has moved from the US into Europe and that he has like residential work permit stuff basically that is stopping him from traveling around and going around. So hopefully once that is all settled and sorted, we will see Lamp of Murma back in the UK hopefully maybe next years Damnation and something like that soon. This statement included a lot of you know, world building language speak. I will say, as someone who I know, that I ever built up tolerance for this because I read a lot of these type statements from artists in my world. But it was still fairly clear statement, still genuinely much more comprehensible than the Balmorra statements, So there you go. The Linder Escape Plan have said that their upcoming Calculating Infinity dates for the summer they are playing the London Brickson Academy for example, later this month. These are going to be the last dates of what they've been currently doing of the like revived Calculating Infinity line up, you know early years type sets they have been playing for quite a couple of years now, they've been doing that AVNA. But these upcoming ones are to be the last ones. I am going to guess after that that that just means that the Escape Plan will revert to a state of inactivity and will revert to being a essentially you know, not functioning active active band. So if you have still not seen the villind escape Plan, then you really really want to make sure you see them. Then I would definitely say that this is the time to do it. Never saw this calculating finish I would have been cool. But there you go. Ending that particular run this this month. It looks like but live announcements that are going ahead. We have a static Dress have announced a UK and European tour in support of their new album that also came up last Friday. I've heard a lot of praise around that particular album. They are going to be headlining on that record in October going into November, as said, across Europe and the UK, bringing a bill of Soul, Blind Holder and Love rarely, so if you're in on that record, then that's the thing to do. I am bloody ampt that Electric Wizard have announced a UK tour right now. It's been kind of you know, mysterious to find these dates somehow, like they've linked out all over, but it looks like there is a tour happening of three dates Bristol, Manchester and Glasgow. No London, ha ha ha. But the last time Electric Wizard like did a tour like rather than a festival date here or they're a damnation an arctangent, et cetera. I think we're coming up to something like a decade something like that. Like the Electric Wizard, you know, you see every few years pop up and play a show, but they very rarely tour, right, So the fact that there is you know, Electric was like, I've never seen Electricizard at their own show, and I've seen them several times, but it's always been like headlining a festival, like they just don't actually do their own headline dedicated shows very often. So I'm really excited and definitely gonna make sure I get to one of these. Bristol September the sixteenth, Manchester September the seventeenth and Glasgow September the eighteenth. Fucking great. When the Wizard returns to live activity, you make sure that you go out and catch it while you can. Cancer Bats are doing an incredibly long UK tour. Still no Liverpool, the lazy bastards.
Speaker 3: How dare they?
Speaker 1: They're slacking, They're absolutely resting on their laurels. They're not playing the Highlands either, Mark, how dare they this bullshit? Yeah? But in all seriousness they are doing what is like too many for me to count. I think it's more than fifteen, perhaps less than twenty, but they're doing loads of you shows Dover, Brighton, Exeter, Falmouth, Southampton, Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Milton, Keynes, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds, Nottingham and London through October and bringing Ignite and Knives as the support bills there. So I imagine there's a good chance that they will be in your area, a good chance that they'll be playing a show that's within an hour's distance or so from you. So good on the Cats Bats for continuing to talk properly and show them how it's done. Speaking of slightly mysterious dates, this like emerged over the weekend and then they like deleted the posters, so I was confused, but it does seem to have been reconfirmed again. Funa Breum, who I'm gonna mention again a little bit later because they put out a release in the in the round up, but a fantastic death not a band at Funa brem They have announced a really like quite extended by their standards, also European and UK tour. In the UK they are playing London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow and Newcastle with more Bithick from Finland as a support band, and Fundi Burrum are one of those bands where when they have played Europe before, it's like, oh, they're playing one dedicated underground death metal festival in Denmark and good luck if you want to see them anywhere else, right, So I was like genuinely stunned when I saw not just one like London date which I could imagine happening, but a full fucking like actual five date UK tour is pretty amazing. And Funa Breum, as we may say going forward considering the record, Dator Power are such a sick death metal band. So if you do not know Ifni Breum you should definitely check them out, and if you are into death metal, then this is going to be one of the cool, musty tours of the year. I reckon they're coming through those dates in September, so get on that. Over on the other side of the Atlantic, Castle Rats have announced their largest US headline tour to date, and the main support app for that is unto Others, which is a really good time. Unto Others. Fit a little bit more there maybe than they do on the Amorphous bill where they're opening up over here. Happy to see them either way, but for the Americans out there, Castle Rat and unto Others is a very sore hailing time, So good stuff there. And Maryland Deathfest have announced their first run of names for next years twenty twenty seven festival, which includes Candle Mass. It includes Enslaved doing a Viking ear VELDI fucking I can ever say that fucking album the first Enslaved album which they put it Downation in a few years ago. They're doing that set. AKA Cocca are doing a Koran's on set. Over there. Voivod are doing an old school deep cut set, so that sounds fucking cool. Sabat Demolition hammer loads of good stuff. And I'm gonna I'm gonna talk a lot about this because I saw corns On being played by Acacocka this week and Aca Coccer a band I've seen many, many times. But there are those bands where and this goes like both ways, we both look across the Atlantic with different levels of jealousy. There are bands that you see often just because of your geographical position that other people out there can't believe that you've seen that many times, right, And I know that for American extreme metal fans. Akacca are one of those bands where I've seen them like fucking eight times or something. I've seen them doing Coornson twice, but it's been like a decade since the last time they were over in the US, and so I've seen this announcement and the most regular thing I've seen in the comment is, you know, American fans being like Agagoka finally brilliant. So I'm very pleased for you all that that is going to be happening over there. So there you go on Patreon this week. For us, we are currently involved in the midst of doing our corn special. We most recently a week or so ago, we put out the parts two where we spoke about the peak New Metal years, and pretty shortly we should get around two putting together and working on the third part when we go into some slightly more mysterious years. So I'm looking forward to that. If you want to hear all of the T and M specials, from band specials to fun silly things like the trial special we did last year, to you know lists, all our album clubs are up there as well. Then Patroon of the Corms Last Lights on Metal is how to do it, and by doing that you will also be supporting this podcast and funding us to move forward, So thank you everybody too. Does that? Let us do the release roundup for this edition of Hyperblasts because we had our reviews last week, we have got two weeks worth to go and bloody cracking weeks as well, like seriously, like last week alone was seriously busy, before we get onto what's coming out to date as well. So firstly, last time we had Devin Townsend's The Moth, his absolutely enormous like seventy minute and that's only including the one disc I think edition essentially like symphonic album, like there is metal in there. But it's absolutely arranged and kind of you know, conveyed as like one large orchestral symphonic style piece. It is a lot to take in. I personally, I don't think it's really the Devin record that I will be most connecting with, but it's undeniably you know, it's a huge passion project authaars that he's been working on for over a decade or something like that, so it's worth going in on if you want to see what all of that time has produced from Devin. Then we had the return of Turnover with Down on Earth, which we spoke about the singles from that recently and how it does seem to be moving back to a more kind of classic era of Turnover perhaps to some degree or another so exciting release there. There is the aforementioned Static Dress album Injury Episode, which if you are a fan of early to mid noughti's post hardcore from the likes of Glassjaw to under Oath or whatever, then they are absolutely one of the you know, the leading bands in the current wave of that style of material. And as I've said, I've seen a lot of positive feelings about that Statud Dress album floating around Sparta featuring, as I said, Jim Martin, Jim Martins from Faith in the gm Ward. Yes, he formerly like the Driving Sparta, his post hardcore band. They put out a record called cut a Silover Wet. There was also I think this was announced if we remember correctly, as the final album from sixty eight, which is Scosh Ducking. I was about to fucking say that Josh Scoggin, formerly of The Chariot and Normal Gene and so on. But here's like, you know, kind of garage rocky band that he's been doing for how over the last several years, their final album. Who knows what he'll do next, but I guess we'll see in the hardcore world as well. For a slightly more underground release, you can go to a Healing Wound, quite violent band with a record called Bodies of Heavenly Violence, more experimental kind of punk end. There's Death Kids with a record called Seeker Trees is the Future Row. There's all them Witches, who are a strange sort of like stoner adjacent band. They us support Ghostuck a number of years ago House and Mirrors. They had turned out to be a really big week for the worlds of you know, doom and riffy substances because we also had Elder of course, the you know kind of progressive stoner doom type band. They put a record through Zero. We have Monolord, who are a just proper like fuzzed up ride on a riff that ages riff worship type band. They put out an album called Never End. Into more of the gothic, miserablest doom world. There is the band Godthrim, which is driven by a former guitarist from my Dyan Bride. The record also features a guest appearance from Aaron formerly now with my Dyan Bride. He's not on that record as well their record called Projections. In the death metal world, the one release you should absolutely be hearing from last week is the formation Fuena Breum with their record Beckoning the Void of Eternal Silence, which is just like brilliantly kind of the midpoint between absolutely knuckleheaded, smash your head in but also really atmospheric and evil. It's just a horrid but seriously well written, well performed, excellently done death metal record that you should be hearing. In the heavy metal world, there's Tyran with tran Forever, which is like the just total seventies eighties trad metal revival band that features three of the four members of Tribulation. They're always good fun in the black metal world. There's Gal formerly of you know, Gorgroth, obviously currently of his his solo band as well, but his old band Treldom, who revived a few years ago. This is the second album they put it in recent years, and they're both like leaning into some very strange, psychedelic, kind of progressive adjacent worlds of black metal. So if you like your black metal little unconventional, then you should check out then. And there was Hakat Hroned, who are one of the ogs of like nineties UK black metal, very much into the you know, grand keyboard heavy side of that sphere and what was producing the nineties. They put out a very fine record as well, called The Corpse of a Titan, a lament long buried. Today, the first release week of June, we are leading off with Converge's second album of the year, The hum of Hurt. Very excited to get into that one, Very excited to reconvene again with the guys who dissected that one as we did their first album of the year like four months ago or whatever. It was but second converged record of the year. Aren't we lucky? There you go. We also have Evanescence returning with their first album in like five years, their album Sanctuary. In the emo world, the very legendary band Death Cab for Quti are back with a record caord I've built you a Tower. In the hardcore world, another very legendary band, One hundred Demons are back with a comeback album. They haven't released a record in like twenty years or something, and they're a very beloved band amongst the moshus. So Embraced the black Light is their record. A newer hardcore name, but one has very much been building steam. Guilt Trip UK band who have become very actually, you know, quite popular in the last couple of years or so their record Armor of Angels. Over into the metalcore world, there's August Burns Red who will always be here with an album every couple of years. They've got Season of Surrender, Blood Incantation, have Got All Gates Open, which is the original motion picture soundtrack. This is the strange thing they've done where they made a bunch of music to soundtrack the documentary they made about the making of Absolute elsewhere, But this is I would imagine on the more new agey kind of instrumental vibe side of what Blow Incantation do. But always interesting to see what they've got going on. That record has now been released, you know, individually, outside of the confines of just the documentary they made about the last record. Love those guys. What wonderful mavericks they are. Aa Williams the singer songwriter in the kind of folky doom world I suppose, but of post rock, et cetera. Her album Solstice is out in the world of kind of the proggier side of what I suppose you could call stoner doom or post metal or something. Slift have got fantasia at progressive like Symphonic, maybe a little leaning heavy metal band. Ever Gray have got Architects of a new weave. The Dwarves, the punk band from the nineties. They have got an out called Jenkam. Then we have Voivod are putting out a live album where they have performed with a symphony orchestra amazingly with their album Symphonique. And then finally there's an EP from the UK band Gert which is called Survival of the shittiest And you might know this EP because it's the one where they put out the of No Limit by two Unlimited featuring the Hell a couple of weeks ago. This is the EP that that track is from, and that is out there, so loads of stuff to seek your teeth into there across those two weeks of my goodness, So please go forth and do that. But like I mentioned at the beginning of the show, if you are interested in black metal, then I have a lot more to talk to you about because I at this weekend was at Fortress Festival. Fortress is I would say at this stage it's probably right to call it the biggest purely dedicated black metal festival in the UK because you have you know, Incineration, but that's always been a mix of kind of black and death metal. You've got Damnation, which is obviously just sort of everything extreme underground all pulled together in one lovely, beautiful pot. But Fortress is absolutely four people who are specifically super super into black metal, and if you are in that niche, I cannot say how wonderful that has been the last three or four years, having a festival in such a great location as well, really doing that because Fortress. I've said it for a couple of years now. I love seeing black metal represented at all of these other festivals up to your bloodstocks even download sometimes like whatever it may be, But there is nothing like a immersing yourself into a world so fully where I believe that Fortress is one of the only like genuine destination festivals in the UK that's beyond just you know, a warehouse, a handful of venues in a similar corner, you know, put together whatever Fortress you genuinely you dedicate yourself to something, you go through into another area where everything has just become immersed in that culture. But also with that, they go beyond the top line of the band who you're going to get represented these of the festivals, and they get the genuine like underground exclusive that you, as someone very much into and immersed in that niche might never dream of seeing anywhere else in this country. And that is a really wonderful thing. Is as I said earlier, it's on the North Yorkshire coastline in the seaside town of Scarborough, which traditionally is just like a seaside result and it is wonderful going there once a year and seeing all the residents confused as to why suddenly a couple thousand people in like T shirts that says like, you know, Christ sucks or whatever your equivalent might be wandering around the place and be like, what's going on here? But the niche bookings as well, because like this year in particular, they had like cult headliners, Like the headliners of this year's festival were Old Man Child and gallow Braid, And those are both names that might mean a lot to you if you are, again so immersed in this particular niche, But if you are a more casual black metal observer, certainly someone who you know doesn't know anything about that genre, really, you would go, who the fuck are they and how are they headlining a festival? And certainly one of those headliners will talk about how kind of absurd it was that they were head like a festival in the fird place in a good way, to be clear, But they're bookings that are so kind of out there that you would go, surely that's not a safe thing to like hang a you know, successful festival on, and yet they've managed to do it because it is so niche that it attracts people from all over who are in that niche to the point that, like, I think I'm probably right in saying that of the festivals that I most regularly go to in the UK, when I go to Fortress, I hear the most like international accents and language's being spoken on site just by people who go to it or any of those festivals, because people actually fly in, Like you speak to people who have come from America to Scarborough to see where like you know, god Heimskar playing Black Medium Current or whatever, you hear people come from the other direction from you know, areas of Eastern Europe, right because people they've got a couple thousand tickets to sell and they will sell them to people from literally all over the world who come to it. And there's something again really special about the melting pop that that creates. And because people are so immersed in that world, people are loving the vibe of being an old Victorian theater directly overlooking the beach basically and you've got the sea right out literally right outside the festival doors. People are happy to be there, you know, And I think that it does it creates a genuine vibe of, as I say, a location festival where people have done the work to travel somewhere and they feel good about being there more tangibly than any festival that I've gone to in this country. That's always lovely to immerse myself in. And this year, even though they did have, like I said, smaller headliners, and even the last couple of years like Tryptocon in twenty four and Wolves and the Throne in that year as well, both bigger names for that world, Agalock last year was a huge event. This time they went kind of small with it, and yet that vibe was still so apparent. The festival still sold out, Everyone was still totally engaged and brilliant, and there was lots of stuff in the bill that I was looking forward to it and looking forward to, you know, getting my teeth stuck into. There was a pre show on the Friday nights with like Woed headlined it and like a couple of other UK black metal bands. But it was in like the basement of a pub in the Scarborough area, and I think it was like one hundred and fifty cap but it was It wasn't ticketed. It was free entry for anyone with a festival ticket, and they clearly underestimated how many people would actually be on site because actually it's like one hundred and fifty gap, something like a thousand people turned up like literally like five six times over what that room could have held. And again it you know, like Woe and a couple of the UK Batmanman's like I love Woe. They're a brilliant band. That's why I want to go and see them. But you know, not the hugest names of the genre, and a lot of them are kind of more local bands who certainly people from the North of England would probably see quite regularly. But like a thousand people converged to I can get into that pub for the Friday night. So I did not get in there for that, but I trust that the one hundred and fifty people who did get in there had a good time with that. The festival proper Saturday and Sunday. The first band I saw was a band called Groza, who are German and they are the kind of band that I was speaking about that a month or so ago, when I was talking about the post Maguire wave of like the hooded you know, kind of veiled, melodic European sounding black metal bands that have become like the visible sort of the visible wave of trend and popularity since like twenty fifteenish or so. Grows are very much one of those, to the point that they share their name with an early Mguarre album, Like it's very much not subtle about that. Maybe they're more a little similar to like Geria pre metal core, you know, because they have like the kind of stirring emotional side of it. They had like pictures of waves behind them on the you know, video screens, that kind of vibe. But I enjoyed them, you know, they were they were pretty decent. I think they even at one point got the crowds to clap along, which is genuinely rare black metal shows doesn't have to do often, but but they got to be able to do it and it worked. So there you go. Decent European you know, contemporary are good. Essentially, if you were to look at like throw a throw a dart at the modern day European black metal see scene. Growser are like a perfectly rounded, you know, example of what you would hit and be like, yeah, that's kind of what the what the average band is like. But they're they're they're decent. After that, I saw Black Salice, who are playing in the kind of second stage. So there's a couple of stages that fortress I explain now as they work, as I get a little bit more into this when it's more relevant. But there's the main stage and then there's a second stage called the Ocean Room, and they just flip flop back and forth, so you can basically see everything if you want to go between those two stages. Black salicse ware in the second stage, and they are one of those bands who exceptionally raw on record, like proper it's a fuzz, you know, like they are. You're not really making out many particular components. It's just about the overall sort of like ambience and fog that you know, settles over to you. You know. They sound like reverberating through an underground cave system. And because of that, they're the kind of band who often those bands might not even play live, you know, And so I was intrigued to say what it would be like live, and definitely they brought the fog with them, so that like I saw Black Salice, I don't think I really saw Black Slice, you know what I mean, Like I heard them play, I saw some faint silhouettes of hooded figures behind a deep red fog. But even if you were close, you weren't seeing these deal I don't think, And I wasn't that impressed with them, to be honest, because I think you take you take away them sounding like they're reverberating through an underground cave system and they're just an okay black metal band, and it's like, oh, yeah, this is The riffs are okay. It's not sooner dynamic, there's not like an exceptional amount of energy. It's just like, yeah, this is a perfectly all right. Example that was probably amongst the less exciting bands I saw the weekend when you again you strip back the particular ambience that their records bring, but you know they were okay. But after that, I saw a band called Mazarthin who Mazarrethim. I saw their live debut at Cosmic Void Festival a couple of years ago there from Australia, I believe. Again, so I think they're probably surely their second time in the UK. I imagine they probably not played that many shows across the world because they're kind of band who would turn up for again the sort of exclusive bookings and stuff, and this is the kind of stuff you get to see at Fortress, right, It's like, how many times do these bands come through? The answer is definitely not regularly. And Mazartham are a kind of like they're very space themed. They're on the more kind of atmospheric end of black metal, but with you know, a very cosmic approach. Famously, if you have seen them live, like when I saw them cous Avoid a couple of years ago, the frontman he almost could be again the kind of post Maguire hooded esque figure, except in his facial area where normally there's just a black hood. He has like some kind of weird l D plate that creates a swirling galaxy, so he's Milky Way face basically, and he has like this animated moving galaxy face, which is pretty good. It's a unique, you know, visual gimmick for the band. But primarily sonically, I say they have those bits of like you know, atmospheric black metal or whatever, but rather than being super ambient, they have like synths and I'm talking since right, like there's genuine, palpable heavy influence from trance music in what they do. There was one song they played where it's literally like a genuine trance beat songs and the more straight haired black metal songs they do often have these full synth lead melodies that are like one of them, amind me a cross faith. That's the kind of synth that we're talking And when you're fully imercer a black beetle environment, it does stand out right, It's like, whoa, this is not a synth I would expect to be here in here, but for how like seemingly out of character you would imagine that to be. People loved them, like it went down really really well, and I think it ended up being a cool case of like this is a in the scheme of like all music that exists, right, this is such a tiny niche thing. Like they've got like five thousand monthly listeners on Spotify something like that, and that probably puts them in the upper half of the band who are playing Fortress Festival overall. But if you can afford a band like this the capabilities to put on a big show right where there again in a big grand main Sage Victorian theater, they had like colored smoke coming up and stuf. Obviously they've got the spacey visuals with the guy with his you know galaxy face and screen behind him and all that. It was like, Oh, a band who have probably played fucking twenty shows top around the world in I haven't looked at how many they've done since I saw them for the first time two years ago. But like, in the right environment, you formed the capability they can actually put on like USh show and people will come away. But going like that was awesome. So that was a really nice affirming thing that happened, you know, witnessing that kind of thing at a place like Fortress. So mazarthin very cool if you get a chance to see them live after that. On the main stave is a band called oss Out. Another thing with Fortress is you are going to struggle to pronounce most of the names. I'm not definitely not saying that correctly. It's a O double S A E R T. I believe they're a Dutch band. One of them plays in Dodds Reat because also in the Underwear Black that I was seen, every person will play in at least three bands, but this is like someone who plays in Dodds Rey and it has kind of some of the punk in it that you associate with that. But while Dodds Rey is very like powerful and surging and melodic. You know, this is like the very dark sort of flip side of it, like very you know, dank atmosphere, some like organ melodies stuff like that, like pretty you know, Dodds Rey is mighty, whereas this is evil. You know, they will kind of hit a sort of repetitive blast, you know, underpinning, and then it will become quite hypnotic through that, and I did find myself like drifting away several times through it. People mention them quite a lot. When it came to like the highlights of the festival and what bads people enjoyed the most, A lot of people said them, I didn't really feel that way that strongly about it, but you know, they went down really well. I was intrigued too. After that. Go back to the Ocean Room to see a band called Midnight Odyssey, who I don't know if they have ever played the UK, but they are abound who I first heard of several years ago because the main guy who like arranges their music helped arrange some of the like extra layer stuff on the Cata Decapitation records. So I'm talking like the like the more epic tracks from like their later records when they start introducing like the bits of you know, synth and symphonic touches and stuff like that. The guy from Midi Odyssey is someone who has like you know, been involved with that, so that's how I heard of them. And as you would imagine, like his black metal band is like, you know, that kind of vibe, big grand you know, basic melodies brought into a black metal contact, which is obviously very very natural, and they had you know, like decent guitar melodies and stuff coming through. The thing we've been obviously live is the rhythm section is entirely programmed, like they've got three members on stage, but they're all playing guitars. The drums and the bass are like you know, coming through their programs like kind of industrial leaning parts and like whatever it was like the bass I think was like so overpowering like the rest of what they were doing. It's just had this like enormous fucking program like rhythm section part kind of overbearing it. And then sometimes you could hear through the mix someone who made a mistake and the click track that they were clearly playing to was coming through in the sound, and so you'd have this big swamped out basically mix, but you would just here occasionally like going through the mixes of people like is that the fucking is that the metronome they're playing to it that I could hear in the mix. And it got to the point where, like the band themselves on social media after was after set, they were like thanks to everyone who you know came out to our set. And then they were just like posting like little sheepish memes and little call it's about to be like sorry about the click track. Someone fucked up, you know. So Midnight Odose's metronome was I think the main character of the set, but there you go. After that was for me, the first big band of the weekend, which is Aca Cocker, who were billed as playing a Kornson set at this festival. And Aca Cocker are a band who I think at the moment have kind of turned into a like they've reverted reverted to a more nostalgic period at the moment in that they made a big return in the mid twenty tens and they came back off like a decade of inactivity and they released a new record called Renaissance in Extremists, which was really fucking cool and added something new and distinct onto the Aca Cocker catalog. And it was great having Aca cocka backer round. I got to see them for the first time, you know, during that period because they had been inactive, and to me they're one of the great extreme metal bands ever, but certainly that this country is they're produced. It was such a joy you see them so many times, as it still is such a joy seeing them so many times. But in the last like you know, in the twenties, they have kind of they've slowed on any sign of continuing to release more music, and generally when they've played it has been more backwards leaning. So they've done sets, you know, performing the go A Mendez album in full I've seen them do, and then they moved on to doing korans On, which is like their big classic. And this is now the second time I've seen them do wo korans Are because they did it on its actual twentieth anniversary at Damnation in twenty twenty three, and then here we are three later years later and they just got bill to do it again at Fortress. And I would love to see Aca Cocker, particularly as voices who were the sort of the sister band, but Voices seem to have like, you know, taken a step back and disappeared and no longer seemed to be around. So I would love to see Aca Cocker, you know, return to being a creative band right and putting out new music, because they've still got it as far as I'm concerned. But I'm not mad about seeing Kornson again because it is one of the greatest records ever and you know, at odd festival appearances because they're not regularly touring, it's just they'll pop up here and there, so to you take the chance that you get to see it. They were the one forum talk I went to this year. They have another there's another stage where they put on on the one day like sort of interview panel type talks like in the past. I've been to ones with tom Ju Warrior Uh and you know, Fenn and several bands. And the one that went to this year was the Akakoka one because they were talking all about you know, the Koranson period and making that record, which is, you know, as I said, a record that I absolutely adore. If you've heard our album club that we did when they played it the last time three years ago, and they have, you know, some great stories about that time period. I asked them a question about the liner notes, the photos of them inside the Cornson album, which if you own that album, are infamous because they are incredible photos. I've spoken about before. It's them all in the suits but in like old country houses surrounded by latex models and it's nuts and it's a it's a wild phot and I asked them about that. So that was fun. But the environment of again an old Victorian theater basically like the Scarborough Spa is where Fortune Festival takes place, and it's it's a grand location, you know, like it's a really beautiful place. And there's something particularly delicious about saying about like Aca Coca there, who famously with the you know, the kind of the presentation of particularly that during the era that they're kind of throwing back to with the sets like the corns Onzet. They have this you know, Victorian gentleman suited sort of appearance but doing this like satanic cult you know, like the occult societies that exist behind closed doors in you know, English high society. That's kind of the vibe of Aca Cocker and so seeing it presented in this way where you know they're in the suits. But they also had the the album Coronzon and it starts with a track Praise the Name of Satan, and it has like a two or three minute long sample at the beginning from a Hammer House of Horror episode and it's all about like a just what I've described right, like a sort of a old you know, satanic cult coming together and doing their ceremonies and stuff, and it builds in this insane way. But they had like they played that entire clip behind them to then lead them into the beginning of the set, which on record, when it goes to the Praise Name of Satan fucking nutty sounding. This was slightly jarring because when they started, no one could hear the guitars. That they had this like full again intro lead in and then this crazy drum fill building, but the only thing anyone could hear was the drums. It was like guitars were just sort of missing for a moment, and there were a few comments that floated around, like, oh, Acoca sounded really bad. It was only the like literally the beginning, I think, like they came in and it wasn't that audible, and then they fixed it by the next song, and it sounded brilliant from there, so I don't think it should be inflated too much, but just so brutal from there with the parts that in a black metal environment getting about ACA cocka who do have those like brutal death metal kind of suffocation, you know, Morman angel esque death metal riffs really hits a particular spot coming through. You've got Jason Krab walking everywhere. You've got that mix of you know, dramatic proclamation vocals and the death metal vocals some of the closest things to like big vocal chiming hook moments with you know, if you've heard the song Leviathan, things like that, I wish to be alone with my God. All of this stuff. It was fucking awesome from there. David Gray, ridiculous, fucking battery, blasts of drumming, just pommeling you so insistently. Sam who in his secondary role as AKA cocka keyboardist, his primary role as ACA cocka hype man, just he throws himself into with such a band and brilliant and we did on the show like a week or ago, reported that one of their most recent bass players, Feder Rico Bellini really just unfortunately passed away, also based player in Malthusian and a whole number of other, uh, you know, this corner of our world death metal bands, and so they dedicated the set to him, and that was obviously a really nice moment as well. So despite minor hiccups, the pure animated energy that they came at it with and the genius of that record as well, Like what a special band. If you are you know someone who's in the US waiting to see this at Maryland death Fest, I trust that it will fucking rip because just one of the greats, like absolutely one of the greats, really really special band, really special record. And as much as I would like them to put out some more new material at some point, it's a pleasure still on a privilege still to have them around so regularly over here and doing wicked things like these. And speaking of wicked things, after this, the second from the top band on the first day of the festival proper was Don Hims Guard and DoD Heims Guard were perform forming a set of Black Medium Current, their latest album from twenty twenty three. If you're a long time listeners of ours, I'm sure that you've heard our various discussions around that record when it came out. It was a delicious thing to get our teeth into back when that record was coming out. And I think that this speaks to the kind of thing that you can look to events like Fortress to showcase essentially because by Meiding Current is a three year old record. But one of the cool things I think about being really involved in, you know, a subculture is kind of off the beaten path, as black metal for example, is you can still see and feel in real time when classics are canonized, you know, and when a record comes out and people within that world and that niche speak on mass about like that's a really special record, and then three years later it hasn't been consumed by the content cycle. You know, people still talk about it that way, and like I said, people from across the will go they're playing that record at that festival. I have to buy a plane ticket and go. And that was the vibe that you got with this, where it is a niche underground recent but solidified in that classic record and people wanted to fucking see it, you know, people wanted to be there to witness that. That's what's happened with with Black Medium Current. It was massively acclaimed when it came out, but here we are and it's become the draw that people wanted to be there and be part of it. It's one of I would say, two bookings at Fortress this year that felt like the really special, like this is a privilege to be here seeing this bookings the kind that people are you know, upending their lives and flying across oceans to do. And this one is for an album that's just three years old. You know, it's not something that people have a long standing you know, relationship from their childhoods from or fucking whatever. It's something this essensibly new, but people really wanted to see it. And I saw DoD Heims Guard a couple of years ago doing a all nineties set. Is what that turned out to be. Like they only played up to they stopped at sixty six to six International, and that was chaos, like that fucking Vicotnick cracking mic stands around and just being like a crazy goblin. It was a really like violent, you know, erratic kind of set. In a great way. This was the other side of the spectrum. You know, this is the grand DoD Heims Guard that the Majestic DoD Heims Guard still weird in the they turn up and you go, well, the guitarists painted green. They've got a guy who's just wearing a white rotten Christ t shirt and a balaklava on the keyboards just in the corner set up there, and then Vicotnick at the center who is also painted green like underneath, but he has like a red wedding veil over his head when he first comes out. He's also got like a massive like gold hanging really low necklace like and he's still doing the thing that he was doing when I saw him laugh, which is like literally chucking like spreading incense and stuff and smoke around everywhere. They've got three backing singers on stage for this set, so they have about nine people total on stage, like a real you know, like it's the don Heims Guard fucking orchestra that's coming out to put on this record. They had some wild visuals where it was like nineteen twenties meets the Future basically, where they had like twenties flapper dancers and they had like if you know the film the man who laughs with with Conrad right, like his character like appearing on screen, but like all superimposed over like space, you know, like a weird kind of a weird meeting of those two things going all around them, like kind of psychedelic fashion. And the wild turns of that record, like the ending of the first song when you've had this you know, slow build, but then it suddenly turns into a nineteen eighties like yacht rock prog part brilliant and the parts where I now was just descend into like a really oppressive drum and bass bit for a little while and stuff like that. The song it does not follow with like the jazz swing sections at the start, like all those weird turns of the like really vibrant imagination of that record, which I think is what it fundamentally captures. All sounding great in the live environment, like we're actually kind of dancing during parts of it, but I kind of for that's sort of hite expected. I kind of forgot, and this is the primary part that came across live, how graceful that album is, and parts like the big choir parts with the end they've got the three backing vocals behind them with you know, for Cottonick at the front leading it. The big like choir vocal, the almost wordless like the oh all that stuff that's happening in that record. And I'm looking around and people are like singing, and this little band of freaks from across the world. I suppose for whom this record means something. You know, they've convened here for this, and it was a real like, you know, kind of spiritual just sort of letting out of the all the strangeness and the again the complicated contradictions of a record like that, but really been translated in such an incredibly graceful way. It was a real moment of like like, yeah, we have all come together to celebrate this only a couple of year old record, and it's being put on with such a level of both professionalism and just like genuine artistic majesty. It's mad as well that Dodheim's Guard have had such long periods of their career where vi Kopnik wasn't actually the front man, you know, and he's like the musical genius arranger guy, but him being at the front is the most natural thing in the world. Like, I've never seen them live without him, so I can't speak to you know, when they had a Oldron in the band for example, or you know Matt from Grove Pleasures That Excess, et cetera, when they had him as the front man. I can't speak to what those were, but I can't imagine in the live environment them not being fronted by him, because he is just the most like your eyes are glued to him, Like he is such an absolute magnet, like the most animated performer in this sort of realm of music that you can imagine in him conducting. Everything that was going on with this was fucking wonderful. Like again, it was a real privilege to see everyone came out of it being like, yeah, that was so I know you're shaking your head, Mark, you love that record. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: I'm furious. I'm so jealous. I should have just gone like that. Black Medium current Top five albums of the twenty twenties so far.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean it was my number two.
Speaker 1: Big, it's a big claim, but I don't think it's out of the out of contention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was my number two.
Speaker 2: The Europe came out, it'd be number one, though, Like like you say, it's such a stagger majestic, horrifying and beautiful record all in one.
Speaker 3: I love it. I wish I was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, like I said, they're pulling out the stops to showcase it the way that I think. The thing with things events like this is obviously they are underground bands who aren't normally afforded a huge deal of budget, right, And like yeah, like it wasn't It's not a Ramstein show. That's not what I'm talking about, but just getting to see bands who make music that, like I said, fucking means a lot to people, but who aren't normally afforded the spaces I suppose to, you know, put it on the way that you could in your wildest dreams dream of is the kind of stuff that you can see with things like Dodheim's guy doing this black Medium Current set in an old Victorian theater with these incredible visuals behind them and all this stuff and you know, three backing singers on stage, and it was just it was really fucking beautiful. It was lovely. And from there I saw a band called Howedham Rife We're Just Not, which is not so beautiful, but they are. I mentioned again the sort of the more recent wave of that, you know, the hooded or you can't see their faces at all. Veiled black metal bands Hordede and Rife are one of a couple of bands who you look at and they are like black bands of a more traditional era in that these are like long haired, corpse painted guys right like these are like the layman's understanding of what a black metal band is. These are the traditions that about at Horde and Rife are dealing with. I think the Norwegian and it is like, you know, second wave style, fucking evil, spiky, icy, corpse painted, et cetera. Like they they could have been part of waves with Gorga Roth or then you know the whole wave with Shooder and these type bands coming forward like and they are decent band and they are pretty straightforward, and certainly in the live environment they're kind of one dimensional and that it is, you know, that kind of just blasty, not the most dynamic thing in the world black metal. But and it was very warm in that room as well. That's the thing with the Ocean room is it was it was cooking in there, like it was it was very insulated in there, which certainly for some bands might add a level of a pressure, pressive hellishness but there you go. But yeah, and wife were decent in supplying that really like necro fix, you know what I mean. The headliner of the first day of Fortress was Old Man's Child, which is the band that recently has been reactivated, the band of Golder who for a long time was in Dimu BORGI. If you are even kind of casually familiar with Dimu I guess you might recognize Golder. He's he was the bald guitar arrested, the one you could always put him out there because he you know, he looked different to the rest.
Speaker 2: Of his tongue alicking a.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All My Child was the band that he had before Demu Borgil like he joined in I think maybe the turn of the two thousand somewhere around there. This is Nighties, similar style of symphonic you know, keyboard lad in black metal, obviously differences. Dimu went so fucking enormous with it, with like we're gonna work with the Prague Philharmonic and we're gonna soundra liket hell Boy trailers and all that kind of stuff. All My's Child is a little more, you know, for the devotees of that that that style more, you know, fundamentally with the the keyboards and that kind of approach to that style. But if you love that shit, which I do, all my child are, I would say an essential name like to hear if you love that shit like they're Runner records from the late nineties going into kind of the early to mid two thousands when they were at their peak of activity, really fucking great in that world. And Golder recently left Demi Borgear and just out of the blue revived or Man's Child. I think he said he's working on new material, but certainly the last year or sorry, they've been playing shows, and for a start, I respect that in terms of you have a tasty gig in Demie Borgia right, like you are in one of the three biggest black metal bands in the entire world, who can play enormous you know, slots at a vacan or something like that, and leaving that behind to play with your smaller band, but the one that's your your baby and your passion project. I think that's cool and I think there's something there's a nice element to seeing Orban's Child come back through that. The Golder demeanor that you described from Demu right, the sort of goblin walk. He does that will head tilt to the side with the tongue out, which obviously he now has years of experience playing these big shows with Demu, like he has played larger slots and larger shows than I would imagine basically anyone else on the Fortress bill. He brings that into old Man's Child. Now they're playing these slots and it's like, yeah, you are you are a great musician, but you're also one of the I would say, the few people on this bill who is like an entertainer, you know, and he can bring that side to it. And that was all there. You know, it's present. He can entertain and he can do this stuff, and him as the the you know, the front man as well, because he does the vocals a you know, an engaging focal point. And they sounded great, like the band were really tight and propulsive. The piano lines I mentioned, like the big symphonic keyboard lines they have, they were on track. They did not have like a live keyboardist there with him. It was a four piece, you know, metal band, and so the lead melodies of the songs often being these you know, keyboard parts. You could sort of tell that like, yeah, that's a track while the band are live playing the you know, metal underpinning to it. But like I said, the band were really really tight, and they do have some songs that are they lean more on the lead guitar melodies as well, like doom Maker for example, and those sounded absolutely fantastic, and it was a recent, you know, a good reminder of just what a great catalog they have, where they covered a lot of basses that the of you know, their their discography. They opened with the song Towards Eternity, which is from Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion, and that has such a mischievous nineties keyboard start, like I Am ascending like a wizard spire, you know what I mean. And that's exactly what you want to hear when you're entering this set. Lots of songs off of the Pagan Prosperity, a couple songs from Revelation six sixty six. They played the Sole Receiver from In Defiance of Existence, which I would have liked a little bit more of that record. I would have particularly liked Felonies of the Christian Art, the opening track on that record, which I was quite surprised they didn't play. But you know, still good stuff. And then the latest representative was from the album Vermin, which is like from two thousand and five ish, I think a track called Twilight Damnation, so a good like you know, decade span of old bands child material. It's fun to go like, yeah, this is our new song from tonight. It's from twenty one years ago, but there you go. And I just thought it was cool that we're at a moment right now at the last kind of two three years. This sort of style of like late nineties you know, orchestral symphonic black metal before it got fully you know, dem U Cradle style, like massive and overblown, but like the more underground variant of it, I suppose has become a like a bit of a trend for bands to revive a little bit. So most obviously we have like the new Worm album, for example, from the beginning of this year, which is like one of the most raved about underground records of this year. The upcoming storm Keep album also it looks like it's going to be very much in that kind of like late nineties style, you know, cheesy but in a great way that lots of us love, you know, sort of symphonic black metal. That stuff is, you know, sort of it in again at the moment, and so it's cool to have one of the ogs of this style essentially coming back and being like, yeah, this is how the ship was back then. This is why it's still great, you know, and really great to see that, and also a booking as the headline act that no one else would have gotten that. You know, there's no other festival apart from the London based ones like your Cosmic Voids, et cetera, who do get some of these things, but like it's one of those things where for a headline booking, lots of other festivals would look from the outside and be like Old Man's Child, Who the fuck is that? Who cares? Yeah, you know what I mean. But Fortress can go, yeah, we're going to book that to headline because we know that there are enough people who will converge for whom this means something, you know, and lots of people, I presume seeing Old Man's Child for the first time because they've been in active for fifteen twenty years something like that was a celebration of a great little a great band and a great little corner of you know, the black metal universe that we all enjoy. So that was a nice, just good vibes's way essentially with a great entertainment, like I said, like golda to send us home on the first day. The second day started off with this is a fucking grand heavy way to start the day, started off twelve pm with a Forest of Stars who this was this is their first show back after so we reviewed the new record last week and I think that's my second favorite album of the year right now, Like I absolutely, I'm I'm in awe of it. It's brilliant and talking to people what because I didn't know if that was Dutch just me or whatever. I know. Obviously Elliot liked have and reviewed it, but talking to people around sits, I got the vibe what I was saying about Black Median Current and the way people were like, this is a fucking classic, right this has been candonized. Obviously we're very very early with the Forestars record, but people love it. In a similar way, I'm kind of gathering like everyone who I spoke everyone who I spoke to, was like that a Forest of Stars record is fucking unbelievable, and I think that again it's a niche thing, but seeing you know, being around people who are all, like, we need to see this band. They're very first band on, but we need to see them because their new record is so spectacular, similar vibes, right, and really wonderful to see that building up for them, particularly because, as I was just saying, this is their first show back after their like long gap between records. Basically this was then, you know, they put out the record and this and then returned to the stage after a few years, uh and showcasing it. And it's one of those where like this was booked I don't know, a year ago, maybe I don't know when the exactly they booked this. I wonder if they were to book this again, knowing how well the album has been received, whether they'd give them the Dodheims Guard treatment of like here's a seventy minute slot, Yeah, to fucking play the whole thing, because they were opening, they had forty minutes, that's you know, I think it was forty five minutes. Actually, I would have loved to have seen them. Genuinely. I understand why it wasn't booked that way, because, like I said, it was booked long before the record came out, and you've got to move things around and all of that, but it would have been amazing to see, Like if they'd done that, I think this could have rivaled the Dodheims Guard set because just the forty five minutes they played was really something. They played Ascension of the Clowns, which is the opening track from the new record. They played Root Circle Usurper from the new record. They then they played Drawing Down the Moon from the Way the Sword you Cannot See record, which is also like a masterpiece of a song. And then they ended on the closing track on the new record, not Drinking Water, and just for those film and it's those four songs. It was really I've seen the Forestars before, but this was, like I said, seeing them in the kind of environment where they're really made for it, where similar to dott Heheims Guard, they're an impressive bunch of people on stage right where you've got keyboardists, you've got two guitarists, you've got a violinist who's also you know, singing the female vocal parts. You've got mister Curse himself stood center stage like a lot you know to take in. And that's before as well that the visuals that they had behind them really like if you look at like the art style of the new record and these psychedelic paintings and stuff, which I think might be done by mister Curse himself, the vocalist. They had, like so they had the new record on vinyl with them, but they had I think limited to four copies. They were like, we've got copies of the record, but these four copies we've got like we've encased it in like each one individually hand painted like wooden artwork stuff. And it was like one hundred and fifty quid or something. But like, if you are real, you know, forrest of stars head, do you want like the most crazy bespoke four of them that exist in the world with these like you know, I said, each one different painted, you know, visual They had those there, but those psychedelic visual kind of paintings and stuff all around again like on the behind them, on the stage and around them. Like it was a trippy vibe and that like real psych rock, prog rock kind of edge that they're coming at that new record with, but mixed in with like those wonderful violin melodies that she plays against these really great you know, black metal guitar lines and of course really like emotionally engaged vocal performance like that. I can't imagine that you could ever half ass performing that way, you know what I mean. He obviously did hit the poop Poop the chew choo from the the album and I enjoyed that. But the vigor of which he was coming out that with and then particularly into the closing track not Drinking Water, which I mentioned on the review last week, is it feels like the uh, the emotional kind of center point of the new record. You could hear like a pin drop during the quiet passages of it, Like the Fortress audience is genuinely really respectful to the band when they have these like you know, quiet passages and stuff like that. But it was like everyone's really life just enraptured in that moment. And then the climax from when that song built up again just like it did bring a bit of a tear to the eye, like they were really wonderful and they are doing a this is just a public service and that might I suppose for anyone who has just got into this band with the new record. They are doing a UK headline tour in November in some small venues and a handful of cities in the UK, So please pick up a ticket if if you love that record and you want to go out and check them out, because it was I definitely would be going because I want more, you know, I've been on a real kick with this band lately, and yeah, seeing them open the day with forty five minutes of just Absolute Wonder was really really great. From there, I'm going to detour into something else that was going on, So I mentioned that there is the third stage at Fortress where they tend to alternate between doing the I say this kind of forum talks the panels on the one day and then the other day. They've taken to kind of like booking something that's not metal but fits into the you know, is culturally connected to black metal. So last year they had a bunch of neofolk acts playing and I saw a couple of those last year and that was really nice. You know, it was cool to see again in a smaller, more intimate setting. So there's like acoustic music and stuff like that, but that fits in the you know, folky black metal kind of framework. This year, they didn't do the Neophix bands. They booked a bunch of Dungeons In Acts headlined by the literal god of the genre, Mortis, the absolute goblin himself. Who I did not see Mortis sadly because I it was my only actual like clash of the festival, really is. I wanted to see the band who were on during Mortis. I have seen Mortis doing like an Era one set before a few years ago when he supported in Mayhem, so that's why I went elsewhere. But Mortis was headlining it. Who, like I said, the pioneer, the god of the genre. So if you like dungeon synth, that is you're scene, then you can't get you know, more legitimate than that. Basically, I did get a photo with Mortis because I saw him hanging out and I very very rarely like ask for photos with band members, but I saw a couple of people do it before me, and I was like, I've got to get a photo with Mortis. Come on, is fucking more. It's fucking Mortois.
Speaker 3: It's like of James Headfield.
Speaker 1: Was there exactly for Dungeons In's heads That's literally true, that's exactly. But I did. I was curious to check out earlier in the day. You know, some of the other Dungeon says acts because I appreciate the sound of dungeon sin like I know it kind of is a punchline to a degree from the outside because of how just like cartoonishly dork it is. And I understand that, and I say that with absolute love. I do generally I appreciate the sound of dungeon synth. I particularly love when it is a component in black metal, right, so obviously it the genre originally kind of spilled out of basically like intro and interlude tracks on black metal records, and then people just went, I'm just gonna play those by myself, and then you have bands like Summoning and Kaladan Brewed and stuff like that, who kind of, you know, mix it into the actual melodies and components of their black metal records. But there is such a huge, like actual Dungeon scene of like people putting on live events and like there are genuine there are live, dedicated dungeons and festivals in the UK, you know, And I've never been to anything like that because I'm not quite that in deep enough. And to me, Dungeons tenth is is strange music live because it's kind of like sit at home and drift away music like it's not to me so active participation, you know, live music, you know what I mean. But I thought, as it's here in the theater stage at Fortress, it's a good way for me to, you know, while I'm literally on site, I've got the opportunity to dip my toe in to seeing some of these acts and what it's like, but also the environment, Like I imagine it's much nicer sitting in a lovely Victorian theater in a nice seat on a balcony enjoying these acts then being in a fucking pub watching a guy go do do do? You know what I mean? So I thought, this is about as good as time as any for me to like go and watch them dungeons and stuff and check out where they got going on here. So I saw two acts on that stage. The first one was a guy called pork Cullis, which is a brilliant name for a Dungeons of actor. I think, just a bit of a castle, you know, let's move around get different areas of castle locations. I saw a port Cullis who was very much into the presentation of it, like he had like a monk robe on, you know. I think he had like a gold leaf crown around his head. And he also he went the kind of the extra mile and that not only did he just have the keyboard, he also had an electric loot that he would like sometimes play them on. And he had like a drum that he would do like you know, the big pounding dungeons in percussion parts with so he was like fully into the presentation of it. And then the other guy I saw was a guy called fIF spelled f I E F fIF. And this was a great even though I only saw two acts in the stage. It was a great contrast because compared to what I've just described, a Port Colors thief turns up and it's just a guy with sunglasses on, just just no president at all, just dudes rock. I'm a man, I've got long hair, I've got sunglasses on, and he only had his keyboard, like no other instrumentation, just a dude with shades on indoors doing his little melodies. And sonically the two differed as well, because the two types of dungeons in in my experience, are you've got like the basier I am looking at the grand ruins of a castle dungeons sin which is like that, that kind of stuff, and then you've got I'm frolicking through the forest, I'm having a drink with the hobbits in the tavern. Yeah, those are the two two types of Dungeon synth, and those are the two types that these acts played. Where Port Carlos was more like the bar and Feet more so I got both flavors with different visual presentations as well. Sat in a nice you know seat, so hooray fun and I will say it was packed in there, like it was booming like one of those two acts. They had to move people up to the balcony because the floor was so full, and like I said, it's it's like it's niche subculture than black metal is, which is already a niche subculture, but the people who are into dungeon synth support it so hard. Like they had you know, these acts had much like the blackma bands did, and they were fucking selling loads of shit, like every item that you can imagine, like hats, cassette tapes, fucking you know, like patches, everything that you can imagine a dungeon at selling. They had it there and they were selling it and it was really nice to see again like a congregation, a gathering of people who are come in here to really immerse themselves into something that is like off the beaten track, off the beaten path and fucking packing it out, you know. And I'm sure that the people who, like you know, were really dedicated into the Dungeon thing scene really appreciated having this stage here and getting to see something the acts because it was booming all weekend. I can only imagine how you know, popular Mortis might have been later on in the day, and just the general vibe of, you know, again, having this stage where they're booking something that isn't actually black metal, so it is your sort of palette cleanser, but it still feels like you're in the world of black metal is a really nice thing that fortunately started to do. I don't know what they do going forward in terms of like, do they book more of than NEATHOK bands because that was nice last year as well. Do they keep the Dungeon in stage. Can they do a mix of the two or is that too difficult logistically. I'm not sure, but I whatever they pack that stage with, I always like to go there at least a couple times because you see something a bit different that does fit in. And yeah, if you're a Dungeonsent' head and you know those two acts that I've mentioned both pretty fun times, right and Feef there will actually be more about him later. He will come up again. But I saw those two acts. Back to the black metal the main stage, I saw Abigail Williams, who are a very long running at this stage, like comparatively they've been going for twenty years. Something like that black metal band from the US who well a kind of odd fit on the Fortress bill, even though they theoretically shouldn't have been because they are a black metal band and their last couple of albums certainly they lean to the more you know, at times atmospheric, but often you know, riffy, hard hitting black metal that you could absolutely imagine being a Fortress. And that's why they were booked, right. But Abigail Williams, their sort of story as a band is an odd one to keep track of, in that they have sort of shifted what they do and you know, reinvented their identity several times over to a degree that like I am a fan, like quite a big fan actually, particularly there's one record they made called Becunning in twenty twelve, which was a huge record, Like genuinely I adored that record so much at the time, and that's when they kind of went into a period of like the more sort of Cascadian like if I were to pitch that record to people, I would say, it's like sort of alien, slightly symphonic leaning Wolves in the Throne Room is what that record sort of sounds like. And that record I love so much. But that wasn't the first Abigail Williams you know sound, and it wasn't the last either, because they have been through several things. I would certainly imagine they are the only band who have played Fortress who have played with Bringing the Horizon early on, because they on their first like EP, were essentially like a blackened metal call kind of band, like influenced from Cradler Filth and Bleeding Through and those type of things. And like I said, they were if you look at gig posters from two thousand and six and Bring Me the Horizon shows and stuff like that, Abigai Williams are the kind of band who would pop up and you'd see them there. Their first studio album, Proper is like Demu Worship, like they shifted from there into full on like orchestral bombasta, over the top black metal, but then like I said, they moved into this more sort of atmospheric wolve and the thronemish kind of guys, and then from there they moved into a more sort of dissonant guys and then the more kind of riffy, slightly more accessible leading stuff that I've described them doing now. So they've shifted several times over and I don't know how particularly here in the UK. I actually they probably do have more in the US where they're from, but particularly here in the UK, I don't know how much of a following that has actually lent them. I think there might be people who have the odd record that they really enjoy from them, but they are they haven't gone with them all the time entirely as a band. And I did see a couple of comments like before the festival of people like Abigail Williams, aren't they like that death core band? You know, like what are they doing here? And it's like that because they have this sort of they're the rare band where I genuinely kind of feel that they should have changed the name and started again and not in a like, I, how dare you make more music under this name? Because I normally find that to be an incredibly entitled attitude, but just for their own good, like to kind of just put a bit of a marker and like their earlier periods, and because if they come back and had a more fucking like even their logo on the screen is of quite a like mid two thousands like metal chorus adjacent kind of logo, And you can't imagine the people who are walking around wherein you know, the merch of these other bands who are playing wearing that same thing. So just just for their own good to like develop more of a fan base here, I suppose, and more of a consistent identity, because that's what I think they struggle with because Abiga Williams, Like I said, I I am a fan of all of their records, Like, I think they're a very good band. Whatever they have tried their hand out, I think they've done pretty well at it. I like their most recent material. The album of theirs that I absolutely love and have the strong connection with is that one I mentioned Becoming, But it was I would say the least populated mainstage set that I saw, even though they are weirdly one of the most like one of the bands that people outside of this niche might recognize the name of, you know, they're like the most one of the more mainstream adjacent But conversely that meant that they were less popular here and inside that niche, and it was you know, I'm not gonna say it was like completely fucking you know, sparse, because you know, people had come to see them, but it wasn't a full room in the way that lots of these other bands, including these opening bands, you know, Forest the Stars example, had a fucking full room, and it was a strange sort of vibe being like, yeah, this is like a long running veteran band, but the atmosphere of like people are really here for this wasn't there for them in the way that it was for objectively smaller bands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're odd because their albums will come out and sort of make no impact because I feel like every album sounds different. They sound like a slightly different band every single time, so they're hard to pin.
Speaker 1: Down very much so, and that's me as a fan right struggling to do that a little bit. And this was my first time ever seeing Abigam Williams even though it was so like fifteen years ago. I can't stress they were a genuinely huge band for me, Like I loved them and I still do like them very much. But it's my first time ever seeing them because while they played the UK a lot in the mid two thousand and they haven't really in the last like ten to fifteen years. And they did say with this book and they were like, we don't know if we'll come back to the UK. You know, I think they might be at the sort of I can understand considering, you know, a small underground band having to fucking you know, tour is harder than ever. Crossing you know, international boundaries is harder than ever. I don't know, like we're gonna come to the We're gonna play Fortress, like no promises. We might be back, but we also might not, you know what I mean. And I was like really key to see them for that. They played almost all I'm gonna say their last two albums. There's actually a lot from not the most recent album that came out last year, but the one before that, the twenty nineteen one, which has the wonderful I think as Marius Lewandowski cover, that one, which is really a really fine record, like a really good album.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've played a lot of songs from that record and I enjoyed it. And those riffs they are, you know, they're they're quite clean by black metal standard. They're like technically proficient, you know what I mean, Like you can watch them and you can tell that they have musical links to bounds like the Faceless and stuff like that, because they have they can like they are really proficient instrumental players clearly so, and you know, the front man Ken is like again, he's a veteran, he's a pro. He did this for a long time. He's an authoritative kind of figure. They did not play anything, sadly from that one record that I mentioned being such a fan of. And this was a case for me of like I have, which I kind of on santy degree because I said, that's the record where you're gonna to do it properly. You're gonna need string sections and stuff like that. And also they're quite long songs a lot of the time. But it was like, yeah, I'm for the first time, I'm seeing a band that were huge for me fifteen years ago. But it's it's not quite the version of the band that I maybe had the strongest attachment to, and also the atmosphere and the vibe just isn't quite here with this in the way it has been for some of the the other acts, which is maybe a little bit of shame, because they still put on a good set. Again, they were pros. They came out, they did their thing, they did it well. It was just weird thing. Like I said, one of the most name recognition bands on the bill, but conversely means within the niche, they haven't actually really built up the following that some of these more dedicated underground bands have been. But there that was Abagail Williams and after that, I guess this proves my point. After this is a band who I can never fucking pronounce their name. They're a Dutch band. They're called Flea Starrs Flu Starars something like that, and they are from the Dutch black metal scene and they are like absolutely beloved at Fortress. They're kind of sort of post black metally, but not in a like they're not a black gaze band, for example. They're just kind of like slightly weird, like they play like these long, very hypnotic, like very like I am going into a trance type songs, and they have like these core progressions that go in these like slightly almost like bad trip, like I'm really in the moment, but then something going a little bit of a rye and like, oh God, where am I'm a little bit scared? Like that's kind of the vibe of their music and very intense performers, particularly that the front man, he doesn't really look like a black metal singer. He's got this sort of like slightly seventies hippie thing going on, or maybe a little bit of like a nineties slacker vibe, Like he has this big, like curly head of hair. He doesn't really look like a black metal singer, and he brings us like weird like, as I say, almost like seventies hippie or like a Jim Morrison character or something like that, but while screeching his head off, almost like they don't sound at all like this band, but in the way when you watch something like a Rancy Pazuzu and it's like you don't quite feel like a black metal band. You were like a bunch of just sort of strange, strange maverick freaks basically who are regurging it as horrible music. It's a slightly similar flavor there with Floysters and they are I saw them at Fortress two years ago playing the second stage, and here they were bumped up to the mainstage and they had a fucking huge crowd and everyone loved it and people like really, you know, reverential about it. And that's what I mean, like within the niche, bands fucking pop off and they're a very popular band within that. After that was get into the slightly higher reaches of the Sunday bill. Now. I saw amat called vinter Land, which, speaking of the kind of things that you will only see at Fortress, Vinterland was a mad booking because they are one of those bands that seems to happen quite regularly in black metal, but anyone from outside of other niches goes, what do you mean, maybe hardcore sometimes get this. Basically, they're a band who released one album thirty years ago and now have just randomly come back to play it live like like that's that's it. They So they're one album nineteen ninety six. It's called Welcome to My Last Chapter and it is from Sweden and it's that Mires nineties Swedish melodic style of black metal, and that record is like a minor classic within that kind of realm. I wouldn't stay there for me one of my very favorites. I like that record a great deal because that particular niche of black metal is, you know, something I have a love for. I wouldn't say like I don't like them as much as like Dawn or Sacramentum, who in turn are not as good as the giant of that scene, which is Dissection. But you know, any again, kind of the BT classics of that scene. Vinta Land put that one record and of just for the thirtieth anniversary come out, but yeah, we're gonna play it live at strang of festival appearances around the world, and why the fuck not right if you're a nineties black metal hair do you love that record, then yeah, go and see it. And yeah, in kind vein of what I was saying, it's very melodic. I mean it didn't feel like a Vinterland, I'll tell you that much. It was too fucking warm in there to be particularly wintry, but there is that you know, snowy outside kind of tragedy in the guitar melodies, Like I think of those Swedish bands, they have a little bit closer melodically to things like early Catatonia and stuff like that, and they're going to a slightly you know that real saj despondent kind of edge to the melodic guitars, which I like a lot, but at the same time it does blast and it does you know, rift pretty hard and all of that. And they played that record and it was a yeah, a nice quite you know, pretty but still pretty intense Swedish black metalley time after that. Oh, it's the band who I would say the band who I most like have gotten into through this Fortress festival is a band called Vesperal, So that's v E s p E r a L. And they are a Canadian band. They're from Quebec, and like the Quebec black metal scene is one of those that you know, people are really dedicated particularly into, Like yeah, if you are into, for example, the Polish scene, or you know, if the Norwegian scene, whatever, there are people who like really like dead into the Quebec black metal scene and they've had like like for arrests, like one of the big bands of that scene. And they played Fortress last year, Vesperol one of those who have kind of merged through that scene, and I really they put out a split EP earlier this year. That was the first time I heard of them, but they put an album larger as well. I've since gone back and heard and I really enjoyed these guys because I would stay for a start that the singer had the best cape of the festival. It was like a kind of shirtless guy but with a cape like tied around his neck. Really great, but like really you know, riffy quite you know, certainly I would say bits of like the punk edge of Lamp of Murmur and stuff like that in there, rather than when they start hitting the disco beats and stuff like that, rather than like the two grand end, you know, like the more punky end of a band like that, and like Departure Chandelier as well, I would say is a big reference for how they're again that kind of com nation of you know, organs and quite primal black metal riffs, you know what I mean. But they played it with a lot of energy, like a lot of like really throw themselves into it, and the riffs they have a great you know, and particularly those keyboard lines like the track that they put out on the split earlier this year has a really really catchy like keyboard melody that was like one of the things that were stuck in my head after the festival. Really really enjoyed Vesperal Again, band I probably would not have seen if I wasn't at this particular festival, because I have to imagine this is one of the first times they've played the UK. But I'm really glad I caught them because they put on a really good show, a lot of energy. Definitely, I would give them a recommend. One of the bands who I was most keen to see, even though I've seen them a couple times before, but I will always be keen to see them. Subbing the Sundate main stage. Mis Theming maybe the biggest band to come out of the Icelandic black metal scene. That was one of those that, like I said about Quebec scene, sort of about ten years ago in the mid twenty tens, Iceland was producing a whole load of bands where I was like, this is a new wave of really exciting, fucking you know, killer black metal bands, and mis Theming are one of the ones who have like lasted the longest and are still fucking great and a really like carved out particular niche for themselves and I fucking love them like they are everything that I look for in a black metal band. I see in this theomy they're just like that's on record and live they're just so brilliant, And I would say, and I've it's been my experience before with them. When it comes to black metal live bands, mis Theming are in the like elite tier. When WATA and disband in a couple of years time, they might end up being the number one because they have that same thing of you can just feel the fucking like almost arrogant violent passion spilling out of their bodies when they are cracking into this shit, you know what I mean. And the ability to play this kind of you know, often quite esoteric music, but make you feel like this is real, you know, like this is a genuine force of energy that's coming out and it's being fed to us is something that I would look to the best black metal bands as being able to sell. And mis Theming of the you know, the newer crop of the last like ten fifteen years are the one to me who whenever I watch them, I just I get that in fucking spades, and I've had a moment of you know, like I've seen them. This is my third time seeing them, I think, and various sized venues. Last time I saw them they played Fortress two years ago and they were in the Ocean Room, the second stage. And this time again watching them like you are, you know, the second name from the top on the main stage in this grand Victorian theater, and you are still a quite a cult dedicated for black metal heads. Icelamed it black metal band. But look at this setting we're in and look at the people who are like visibly here passionate for you, and they fucking killed it, just absolutely like violent, like I said, pompous, fucking moving with just an arrogance and a fuck you about them. Which like black metal bands, there are various descriptions you can describe for how they are a live. Lots of them are obviously evil, you know, and I love that. I love that necrotic, dissonant edge whatever. Lots of them might be more atmospheric and more beautiful and moving. There aren't many black metal bands who live you would describe as hard, you know what I mean? Like that I want to kick your head in type fucking hard where you can just feel it going. Ah. Misfeaming are fucking hard live and they have that. They brought that more than any other band I saw at Fortress. Whether they are doing the more pounding fucking heavy metal like, that's another thing that they really have. I think is this like genuine almost like rock star like uh, you know, fist pumping. This is a heavy metal song, just throw an extreme metal kind of lens I suppose energy or when they are like blasting and ripping your fucking head off and they're all covered in blood, like blood and ash and they are just these like violent figures just devastating the place, like black metal crowds for example. And I think this is one of those things that because it's an extreme metal subgenre outside people who come from the outside don't quite expect this in the same way. But black metal crowds don't really pit like mosh pits aren't such a thing in black metal as they are in for example, death metal or any other kind of you know, really fast brutal music. And it's because black metal has this kind of air to it that is a little bit more as I say, immersive, you know what I mean. It's more you'd stand and you will feel it absolutely, but you're not throwing hands to black metal quite so much. But this feeling like opened up a pit because people are like, Okay, we just need to fucking get this out. We are just going to go. And I may have found myself somewhat lured into that slightly from the edges and they just yet really brilliant. I really hope we have new music from them soon because they have three LPs. The last of them came out in December of twenty twenty two, so we're coming up to four years since it and that album is fucking brilliant. The album before it is fucking brilliant. Their next album will be one of my most anticipated extreme metal records when it comes out. I really hope it's soon. I would love one this year. If not, then, you know, hopefully next year. But whenever I see this Theamy on a bill, I'm gonna catch them. And they did not disappoint, just absolutely fucking brilliant. And from there it turned into the most intense brutal double of the festival, I suppose because the band headlining the Ocean Room on the second day as a band called Darkened Nocturn Slaughter Cult, which is one of the greatest band names. I'm sure I'll agree you can feasibly have like, yeah, this other Nocturn Slaughter Cult wasn't Darkened enough. Fucking brilliant, absolutely top tier. That's what you want on a shirt, that's what you want on a logo beaming across a stage. Killer.
Speaker 3: They are a.
Speaker 1: Think I think German. They're from that kind of corner of Europe. I think German black metal band obviously, and they'd be going for a long time, like since the early two thousands. This is the first opportunity I've had to see them live. I got into them several years ago when like during the last few years of Bethlehem, like their couple of albums, their front woman was the the singer for the last couple records of Bethlehem. And I love Bethlehem. I'm a huge fan. And if you know Bethlehem, you know that getting the gig in Bethlehem is not just you can be a normal black metal singer, you know, like any old croaker is not getting to be the thing in Bethlehem. To be the singer in Bethlehem, you have to be fucking unhinged, and you have to wail like a motherfucker, and you have to take your voice places where people are not going to expect you to place it. And Dark Knoton Slaughter Cult musically are a like very fast, blasty, quite brutal black metal band, Like I would compare them to bands like Marduke for example, Like it's just like, ah, you know, really intense fucking ripping all violence, like not a lot of slow passages. But on top of that, you've got the singer who like is doing like more so in you know, Dark Knockton and Slaughter Colt than she did in Bethlehem. She does do more conventional black metal vocals, but every now and then, like they'll hit like a blast passage and take off and she would just go like oh, just like whale and like whoop every time it happened. I mean, the audience like visibly and audibly responded to it, like she'd hit like a fucking whoop and everyone would go like ah, Like it's just like it was a like a shot of adrenaline being pounded into her heart every time she just did something fucked and crazy. But on top of like this really like a blasting, violent, runaway train wall of riffy black metal. And on top of that, visually they are so awesome, like they are one of the most evil looking black metal bands I've ever seen, And this is part of why I wanted to see them, because I've seen pictures of them down the ears and be like, that looks fucking awesome. You've got like, you know, corpse painted like you know, spiked bracer type vibe from like the guitarist and stuff like that. But that front woman I mentioned, she is wearing like an all white robe, and the color of that will become very important. She's wearing an all white robe and she has this crazy fucking like almost crown of thorns situation going on, but it's like winding down her whole back and her body like she looks like she's had a fight with a tree. Basically, feel like she'st this same fucking like headgear on and then all down her like chin and all down her throat, just bright red blood just like absolutely and obviously against the white rode like I mentioned, it just pops so hard and like if black metal, particularly in the live environment, is a genre with a strong visual component, I just think she has one of the best, like one of the coolest looks, like go and look up if you're listening right now, go and look up the front woman from Dark Knot turned Stockholms and pictures of Worker that just looks fucking awesome. And when you've got that on, like I said, he's like twisting, turning, unpredictable bouts of violence in the riffing and just this wailing madness in the vocal. Just beat the shit out of you for like fifteen minutes or so. Kill her. And then after that the headline of the final band of Fortress twenty twenty six, the headliner that, by all rights should not be a headliner, but they managed it. They booked Gallow Braid to headline this festival, which if you don't know that name, because you're not in this niche, I wouldn't blame. It's not like they've been playing lots because Galla Braid is a band driven by Jake Rogers, who for the last ten years plus has been the front man in Visigoth. Before that, he was the front man in the band Kaladan Brood. And if you have been the listener of Arge recently, you will know. We did an album club where I spoke about Kaldan Brude and why it is, in my opinion, one of the best records ever, and anyone who disagrees is a fucking coward. Absolutely. But Galli Braid was his other black metal band that he did like just before Kaladan Brude, and they put out one record in twenty ten that's like forty five minutes long, and that was it and they never played live. It's because it's just a side studio project, but one record never ever played live. And then he went on to again do these other bands. So Galli Braid, by all rights, should be dead. That's a dead band right there. So when Fortress randomly went, yeah, the headliner for a festival is Gallo Braid, a sixteen year old band who has never played a sh show before that also only obviously you know, has a following in this particular underwearn Niche was one of the most what the fuck do you mean scenarios I could imagine happening like by or right, like imagine the trust, amongst anything else, to intrust the headlining of your festival to a band's first gig, like from a from a promoting standpoint. That is such a move of trust, and I can imagine so many promoters being scared off by that and be like, no, I want a band who are a little bit more seasoned and at bit more of a proven draw, thank you very much. But they pulled it off, and I can only imagine that, you know, the Fortress promoters are just like fans who are like, we want to see this happen. We think it will have enough appeal cross you know, cross nations to get people to it, and we trust the banding question to do it properly that they manage to get it. And it's like an if you ask, don't ask, you don't get thing. But it's fucking like a wild thing. And this was the other thing where I mentioned like the things that people will wanting and being like this has an air of the surreal to it that this has never happened. We are witnessing something that's never ever happened before, and it's kind of odd and gallibraid that record is absolutely incredible, like so wonderful. If again you've heard our discussion on Caldan Brood, right, it doesn't sound like exactly Calalan Brud. It is clearly of the same mind of Caldan Brued. They share some things like the vocal melodies and stuff like that. It's not like, for one thing, I imagine Sam would probably like Galibrayed more Brood, but it's of again the same mind. Jake Rogers is probably like his catalog across the like certainly the three major bands that I've mentioned. There a limited catalog, but I can honestly say one of my favorites like a catalog that really resonates with me and like really means something to me. And the Gallibrayed record is no exception in that it's clearly very much inspired by the likes of Agaloque and that kind of you know, sort of like Pacific Northwest more epic. Yeah, you know, folky but atmospheric leaning black metal like big Agalot vibes and stuff like that. But in the same way Abauma Kaladan Brewed to take like, Okay, we're gonna take Summoning, but then we're gonna put a little sprinkle of like epic heavy metal melody onto this. It just gives it that extra like mumph. That's kind of what Galabray have done as well, but with like we take an agaloc and then we've put some you know, epic sword waving heavy metal into the mix and given it a bit of extra umph. And in a similar way, that is a real cult classic record where there are people who love that record who would never have dreamed of ever seeing it live and then suddenly there it is in front of you. And that was I can't speak to that just overstate how much how weird that one was in so many ways where for a start we were like, who even is this band? Like Jake is the guy on record, who's he got with him? You know, like who's around him? It turned out Jake was playing guitar and also doing the clean singing vocal and amongst other things. Obviously he's the front man in Visigoth. But he was like, this is my first live show ever playing guitar, like in front of an audience because he's just the front man in Visigoth, and like the nerves you know, and I will say from him he was clearly so like the sort of surrealness of the occasion was shared on stage as much as it was in the audience. There were clearly like, you know, nerves, but in a good way of like letting them loose, of them having worked on, you know, putting this material together for a live band, and also so genuinely appreciative that sixteen years after he made this record people are so into seeing it live. You know, people care, you know, and that genuine, visible, you know, appreciation really fostered a really great vibe between you know, audience and band for this particular set. But he's doing the clean vocals like I said, and playing guitar center stage was fief the Dungeon synth man. I mentioned the twinkly running through the forest chirpy dungeonsnth guy. He he was actually the harsh vocalist right doing the screams for Gallabraid and also playing keyboard center stage, and it made us some really fun arrangements where if you know Gallibrade's music, for example, the song Stone of Remembrance, which they ended on, has this like this an incredible chorus, like a worldie of a chorus, but it has this like tin whistle melody, and I amage that fucking Jake Rodgers was also playing the flute occasionally, like when his hands were free from playing guitar, he would whip and do a bit of that, but the Stone of Remembrance like whistle melody under the chorus. They translated it to keyboard and the thief guy was playing it. But it meant is there of the whistle melody you had the most like the daftist fucking keyboard tone like doing that melody. Oh, I was watching it. I was like, there are people where this would repulse them, and those people are weak. I'm having such a good time. But yeah, that dynamic going on. I think like the other guitarists like the leaketizing a lot of the solos, and the bassist, I think we're both from Visigoth, so obviously just you know guys from that scene who we know. It's like, yeah, come along and I trust you to do this. And it was a really great uh you know a component you know, configuration. I suppose the word I'm looking for for this music. And they obviously played the entire ashen Iedl on record, the opening track on it. As soon as that really driving first riff hit, you could just feel people be like, oh my god, yes, this is great, this works. We're so into this. But then also going we are aware. He literally said, it's like we know that our set time here, our headline hour along set is longer than the music that this band has released, like we are aware of that. And this was subject of much, uh sort of what's the world I'm looking for? You know, debate and theorization ahead of time of people recognizing they have not got enough material to feel this hour long headlines a lot like what are they going to do? And people like will they play a you know, there's like whatther song from a compilation or something? Will they play a secret Kaladan Brood song which I never actually believe would happen but obviously would have been unbelievable. Or the third option, play new material, And that is what happened because Gallo Braid a record that only has one album twenty ten turn up and went, yeah, we know we've got longer than we actually have songs, So here are two new songs that we've got for you that we're working on for an album that is coming up at some point soon. And the vibes being already really good when they were playing the material that people knew, then the surprise of here are brand new songs for the first time. The vibe, the good spirits in this set hit another level. I was with my mate watching this and at one point when they were playing a song, he literally turned to me and was like, I'm going to the bar to get booths, like just because the new galibraded song they were playing was of such quality that it required appropriate celebration. And genuinely, those two songs they played, one was a more like kind of windy, blasty, atmospheric black metal, not like a little colder maybe, but one of them had the biggest fuck off like folky epic metal melody and chorus and like basically a Visigoth chorus, is what I'm saying, like Jake who sings all those amazing choruses, and literally I can sing it to you. How many times ever have you seen a band play new, unreleased songs and you have remembered it after You might have enjoyed it, but you haven't heard it enough times to like, you know, internalize it in your brain. You know what I mean? I was singing. I don't know the words to it, but the melody I have in my head like it entered it immediately because it was so good and so big and epic and inspiring and rousing and like I said, Jake is one of my favorite particularly like vocal melody arrangers probably ever and fuck me, I can't even go and listen to it. There's like a phone recording that someone's got of it, but I can't even go listen to the song with the record right now. I want it so bad now. I am so give forward to hearing the Finnish studio versions of these songs, because if you are a gallery fanily on you weren't here, but you're curious, like what could new record sound like? The new songs, particularly that one with this incredible fucking chorus immediately earwormed itself right into my consciousness, was just spectacular, and like I said, bringing that like the vibes being so triumphant, like an actual like Stone Remembrance I mentioned that song, like an actual, genuine sing along and when matey boy Fief is playing the fucking keyboard melody and people are singing it back, you know, like an Iron Maiden show like oh just it turned into a like a good vibes heavy metal show basically at the end of this weekend of you know, blasty black metal, and that was so sick. I can't again. People who who was who were there and were really like have waited however long for even the promise of Gallo Braid anything, you know, people who love that record. Basically it was such a celebration of, like I said, something that's so small and something that was so unproven, particularly in the live environment, and that you could easily imagine no one ever wanting to take the chance on it and put it on basically, but the vibes that it produced and the celebration of that was so good and such a brilliant way to end it that Gallibray not only is that record the first one like absolutely reaffirmed in my mind as like you know, a kind of an underground cult classic of the you know, twenty tens of black metal. It's fucking brilliant. If you've never heard it, you would actually check it out. But also like not out of the blue, you're here, your back and we've got new fucking material to look forward to, and its sounding shit hot was killer, Like for two cult headliners, you know, old Man's Child the more proven of the two, and then Gallo Bray just whipping it out of nowhere. People be like, who if they've never you know, if they didn't intersect with that particular phenomenon, but both headlining in the festival in it's such a great way. It kind of proved that you don't actually have to break the bank too crazy, like you don't maybe that's not time I'm looking for. You don't have to try and appeal beyond the niche, right, you don't have to book fucking you know that the bands who you don't have to try and aim to reach, the people who wouldn't normally go for a festival for this kind of music. You can put on something that is just purely for this audience and they will come and they will love it, and it will matter and it will be validated, you know what I mean. And then the last I say about Fortress kind of on that note is they are on site. It was after a Forester Stars on site, but then it came out, you know why the following day they've booked. Next year's headliner is Emperor for one of the days. Yeah, and obviously fortunes of the two day festival, they have made it a habit last few years of Likelin, of announcing you know, one headliner as soon as this one goes out, and then people fucking you know, rush and get the blind tickets and all that kind of thing. But yeah, next year is gonna be the fifth anniversary of Fortress, and they have booked Emperor to headline at least one of the days. And that is pretty fucking crazy considering this is a, like I said, a five year old festival that has primarily booked pretty small bands. Two get arguably the biggest certainly like again, one of the three biggest and one of, if not the most legendary and musically beloved and respective respected black metal bands of all time to headline the festival. It's a great validation of Fortress itself that it's kind of reached its reached a stage where it can do that and can book that. Weirdly, it is actually the rare black metal you know Fortress headliner who do kind of appeal beyond the people who are usually there, you know what I mean. Like Emperor is a big band, Emperor sell tickets, Emperor actually play big metal festivals. Like Emperor of headlined Bloodstock. You know, they're not of the size to headline Bloodstock as it is now, but they'll still sub headline it, you know what I mean. And weirdly, like obviously I'm stoked. I'm never gonna turn down seeing Emperor. It's one of the greatest bands of all time, and I think it's gonna be special because of the location vibe in the atmosphere of Fortress, because I can say that the almost the drawback of this is because there is a bigger than average Fortress headliner, is they're actually more available and accessible through conventional metal festival means. Like I've seen Emperor Bloodstock various times, you know what I mean, and that like I've seen them headline Incineration, Like they they're weirdly a more accessible band through being bigger, right, because they go out and do things and they were when Emperor announced, there were a few people who were like, oh yeah, Emperor, you know, great cool, obviously legendary band. No one's saying Emperor aren't brilliant, no one saying they aren't worthy to headline anything like that, but almost just like they are so big that it goes on what Fortress traditionally is because it becomes a band who you can see outdoors at Bloodstock. And I understand that, and I am I'm really curious about the second headline because to go from old Manstroud and Gaalobray to Emperor is a fucking unbelievable like without raising the cap of the venue or anything, is a crazy thing. I'm curious about the second headliner and whether they can go super cult again and get something like a Gallibraiy for example, offset by how fucking enormous Emperor, you know what I mean. But I will say about the Emperor booking is because of the low location, vibe of the festival and the atmosphere of it, I think it has potential to be one of the better Emperor sets played in certainly this country since they reunite it. Because again I've seen Emperor Bloodstock. Emperor outdoors at Bloodstock is not as good as seeing them headline inside in a Victorian theater on the Yorkshire coastline. With this incredible atmosphere that Fortress has developed, you know what I mean. Like atmosphere and time and place and everything is important for black metal. And I've never seen a bad Emperor show, and I've seen them be spectacular mainly indoors, right, But the entire everything that comes with Fortress I think has the potential to make that particular Emperor show more than just your average Emperor festival metal show. So that's my take on the Emperor bookie, and that makes it very exciting. I know that all of their early bird tickets have fucking flown at the door immediately. And again I'm curious maybe how many people, if people do decide to come to Fortress, who maybe wouldn't have come with Emperor went headline it, you know what I mean. I'm curious how sort of cross appeal it ends up being. I sort of hope, to be honest, it's just all the same normal Fortress people, but with a nice time seeing Emperor together. Basically I want to happen. But obviously if you've never have come to Fortress and it has pieter interest and that I do, of course I recommend the festival in gener It's such a wonderful place and hopefully if an Emperor draws you in then they'll book a bill of like fucking weird that I can't believe this is here, or at least underground, you know, UK debutes all that kind of stuff that you normally get from a fortress, and you get to see those bands and get introduced into that world through you know, coming in the door with an emperor for example. But that is for next year's Fortress, which I cannot wait for because it's always such a good good time. And that is my report from this year's Fortress Festival. Cheers to everybody who hung out. Hope that you enjoyed the weekend as much as I did. And like I said, all those bands I mentioned, there are no big cross you know, appealing massively outside of like you know, major metal press coverage, outside of the black metal world. Bands I mentioned there really like, it's all within the black metal world, and so if you are not so familiar with that world, then you have done the incredible deed of listening to this entire review. Check out those names, you know, Like that's why I here doing this. They were fucking sick loads of those bands, and such a healthy, healthy scene with loads of you know, new bands like That's like Vesperal and stuff like that who are just coming through and putting on great stuff and making great music. So check them out. Yeah, cheers everybody for listening here through first the hyper Blast portion of this show and then the Fortress review. We'll be back next week with a more regular Hyperblasts. We've got an outbreak late this month as well. Like festival season, you know, swing into a different corner of the musical TNM spectrum. But some is going to be hot and sweaty indeed in many many a good way. But we'll be back here next week with the Hyperblast. We'll be back soon with more of the long form content that we do over on the Patreon and we hope you see you there for all of it. Bye.