Speaker 1: Good evening, and welcome to a podcast that will make a blue ass fly look lethargic. I'm Dave El, but more importantly, the other side of the mic is Marcus Willis. So this is obviously what you're talking about. Willis. Now, we did say right at the start of this little run of counting down to the windwood and appearance, you'd have to bear with some the quality front. But tonight we've really thrown this together tonight, haven't we.
Speaker 2: Marcus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bit of a We found a moment where we were both free.
Speaker 2: I've been impressive.
Speaker 1: I've just been solid on court coaching all day and sticky hot mess and you've been so busy and we just got a text together and here we are ten minutes later, prepped, prepp like pros.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course we're prepped.
Speaker 2: Here. I was actually eating a Mars ice cream good.
Speaker 3: I haven't had one of those for a few years. Actually, I don't know they still still did them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're big and all.
Speaker 3: It's all biscof now, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Everything is bisc off.
Speaker 1: You remember a few years ago everything was pulled or meat was pulled, and now everything is yeah, pull poor poor Cheecken just pulled, pulled, everyone was pulling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now it's all bisk Off the hairdressers when I got them. But actually bisk Off flavored things, right, okay, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But the actual bisc Off biscuit is drier than the Gobi desert.
Speaker 2: You don't want that it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so give me your whereabouts?
Speaker 2: Where are you? What's going on?
Speaker 3: I am at my host families. Just got back now, so I'm going to jump in the shower, grab something to eat. It's nearly nine o'clock. Well, yeah, been a long day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if you've been up to today?
Speaker 3: You had a practice, had two practice, did some footwork on the endoor, saw the physio. What else did I do? I had a bit of food, so whenever I get in, I go straight upstairs have a coffee. Didn't actually eat till three pm today, so I was quite hungry. I was for my first practice. I said of some fitness stretching, had in my rackets, and to be strong for tomorrow, all the interesting stuff, and then waited for the schedules to be released and sorted my tickets out for tomorrow. No, I don't have any spare I've got family in the queue and play fourth on court five. They're they're the FAQ's job done. So if I get asked that again by someone who's listened to this and I'm just going to ignore you.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I like you FAQ system.
Speaker 3: Oh it's always yeah, some people, I just want to know how I am this time of year randomly, never in November, December, January, februy, March, April or May. No, no, just this time. Yeah, how are you doing that house things?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's lovely, but yeah, no, I will get back to people after the championships finished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that long time no Speak wondered if I had I could get hold of any tickets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, lost to love your Uber driver from.
Speaker 3: To someone who's played Woman for the other day, who's at the club. He's now working with a player, and I said, do you get a how many messages you have? Fifty? Went? You have fifty per day? People just think I've got Center call tickets falling out of my pocket. Bearing in mind there's what three hundred four hundred players here. You're allowed to guests with you one more for the day you play. Can you imagine what that players there is? Looking like right now. Yeah, chaos, right, yeah, chaos And and I did think a few years ago it's not very many, but I think it's the right amount. Yeah, considering you can't sit down to meet your lunch the first few days. But do you know what a place? What a place to? Yeah, good problems to have. I suppose.
Speaker 1: Well, it's all confirmed. You're playing tomorrow. After Billy went out of the singles today, and it's a shame. He looked like he was just in that third set. He looked like he was he could have nicked it. Have you spoken to him?
Speaker 3: I haven't. I've just spoken to him to organize practice and stuff tomorrow, as you Yeah, as you can imagine, I've got practice and stuff like that myself as well. And I kept a nine score. But as you can imagine, he's coming off caught after to probably fifty messages and he's got media stretching call down to do. So I'll speak to him tomorrow just before we probably about the match, and then yeah, we also kind of catch up when the event's done properly. Yeah, And there's so many different results going on, and then you're looking at the schedule and then you get in the queue for tickets, transport and stuff like that. Stringing kit. Yeah, I've done all right. Actually, I think I think I'm ready to go. I leave my rackets and stuff at Wimbled and so I don't forget them. Yeah, which is which is good and choose and everything. So basically all my kit and rackets are there.
Speaker 1: You anxiety dreams that you've forgotten your rackets or turned up naked or something like that.
Speaker 3: I've had random dreams in like March or December where I'm playing Wimbledon and I'm like, I'm like four hours away and I've got to get there in an hour and I don't understand why I've got to make it to my match. But what a swansea as well? Playing playing like Bob the stringer from around the corner, and there's always a good player and a random person there, and you're always with someone random as well, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh yeah for sure, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: It's never like a reasonable match up that you yeah, that could ever be realistic. But yeah, I've had I have them Rundom and they're horrible because you wake up like and then you realize I'm not a Wimbled and then a seventy.
Speaker 1: Five K and brass of do you I mean people who talk about their dreams. I asked you that question, so this doesn't a six squoze up, but people who just tell you about their dreams it's quite boring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you just asked me. Really, I don't go downstairs and get what. Yeah, I don't think. Yeah, it's very nice, very real, until you wake up and go, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a dull dreamer though, Like I dream, I'm just doing basic admin, which kind of annoys me because I'm as in a dream I could be on the yacht with Jennifer Aniston, but I dream I'm just h Yeah, I mean my budget pushes to more of like a pedlo in Bogner if she's up for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Center Park. That's quite expensive nowadays it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Monte Carlo is slightly cheaper than Center Parks. So, yeah, you're on Caught five tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 1: If you're it's it's in the shadow of Center car and it's over like that members balcony area where there's like teas and stuff being served all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, jam or cream first on the scone was gone. Two questions sc off gone jam or cream first?
Speaker 2: Scone jam cream?
Speaker 3: You just scone cream jam.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fine. I think we can get over these differences. I think it's nothing a couple's therapists can't work out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's fine. Well, I'll just turn it upside down if you make me one.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, sure it is. Do you have a favorite? I mean you've played on center car, but is it's called five? Like you do you look at that and think I wish we were on seven or anything like that?
Speaker 3: No, not really, I mean out of the I like court three, but yeah, I mean it's so early in the tournament you don't get doubles on that just yet. Yeah, but I mean they're all good.
Speaker 2: All three has got like a bowl.
Speaker 3: Between four and six for those who are interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cal five is is like kind of in the middle of that run, isn't it? So call three has got that and then if you related only Yeah, and there's one bench for like you guys in another bench for the opposition, And that's it, isn't.
Speaker 3: It something like that? You get some people walking their dogs through the middle the middle of the match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you deal with that?
Speaker 1: So I know at club level if anyone like seems to move within about a miles radius of an accountant playing in the second round of their club singles like whole play. You guys have got so much going on around you, are you very aware of people walking and moving and talking.
Speaker 3: If it's consistent noise, it's fine, like you hear shots and come ons from other courts and stuff like that. It's if there's no one there's a sudden noise, or if there's a few people and you see three people jumping around. But honestly, I don't really notice mid match, to be honest, because there's always noise from somewhere. It's weird. It's it's weird when you like when I played singles on on Center and the Mixed Doubles last year, like during the Rudy, you just hear the ball moving around. It's strange. M But I think, yeah, I've never really noticed people doing certain things while I've been playing, Like there's planes flying around all the time, there's balls flying around as noises commands. Yeah, Yeah, It's kind of just one of those things, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So what does the next twenty four hours look like for you.
Speaker 3: Get a shower, get a bit of food, go to sleep, wake up, get in the car, get to site, get to the changing rooms, get my practice, kut on, see the physio, what kind of time, and I'll probably be there ten thirty. Yeah, now, grab a quick coffee or whatever i'd like. Bit into the gym, warm up, go over to a rangye warm up there, twelve thirty, hit to one quick stretch, back over, check the scores if it's the label, have another hit again at some point, maybe at a range or maybe on the indoor, but just yeah, load up on some food, not too much, and then I go and sit in the change rooms. Twiness. I don't socialize because it's quite draining. As you can imagine, the phone goes off, phone goes.
Speaker 2: Off here, and you're sitting in with Billy in a change room.
Speaker 3: No, I mean there's people in the change rooms everywhere. I don't know where his locker is, but we'll obviously speak before the match. But we know each other's games, we know what we've got to go out there and do. And and yeah, I'll be sat. You get your locker in the change room when you first pitch up and you're around the same players for.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: So I guess we'll catch up maybe at the cafe slightly close to the match and then go warm up and we'll be in the gym together most likely before we get called out.
Speaker 2: And you just said, then you know what you've got to do, what you've got to.
Speaker 3: Do, play well day. It really is simple for us. We've I've got to go and get the balance right with how much to use my hands and serve and and Billy's got to do what he does, stay locked into return, serve well, serve a high percentage, and be able to adapt to whatever your opponent's doing. If we're losing points doing certain thing, then try and change up. Obviously we've got a very difficult match, so it's just stay positive and you know, there's there's Unfortunately you're not You've got a clear, clear plans. You're not like you know, in some CoV League matches as a guy who'd backhand, so you just serve there. It's not like that. Yeah, So it's one of those things you've got to be able to quickly adapt and then play your game, but more importantly just try and enjoy it and stay positive.
Speaker 1: I suppose I guess from your side, if Billy's Billy serving, well, you're going to get lots of chances up at the net, and you're dangerous there. You're a big server and you'll give Billy lots of chances at the net.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. It's just about keeping consistent in a game. You can't have a game where you miss all your first serves and hit a couple of doubles, and that's when it gets difficult. It's about staying consistent that we're not expecting to three fourices a game, but if we can, you know, putting off good serves in per game. You could serve eighty percent, but the twenty percent all goes wrong in one game and you lose four and four. So it's just about you know, staying present and you know if you if you do miss a couple of serves, make sure the next one goes in. But easily said and done.
Speaker 1: Are you aware of your playing style and the fact that public and Chiboi probably haven't played someone like you.
Speaker 3: You probably not know that they're just going to go and do their thing, and if they do it well, then they're very dangerous. I don't think they're going to think about it too much. You know, Chibali still got to play a singles match in the morning, so he'll be thinking about that, which makes them dangerous. You know. I don't think they're going to worry too much if they go break down, yeah or panic per se, so they won't be thinking about this match right now. I'll tell you that. Really, no chance Chibali is focused on getting rest and being in bed soon because he's got a singles match. Yeah, eleven o'clock. That's that's public. I don't know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: But and he'll finish.
Speaker 1: He'll finish the singles, yeah, I mean, go and get rested up.
Speaker 3: Media practice fans are but yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So he may not practice before the doubles.
Speaker 3: He won't. He won't hit balls after five set singles match now, but I think he's hit enough balls to be to not worry too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in his life, Yeah of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, just I mean that day. I never used to warm up for doubles, and I side a huge gap. If I played a three hour singles two hour singles match, I'd go and get rested and make sure the body's are okay, and then you give you five minute warm up and off you go. You know, you do them. We've got half in our match warm up to get all the body warmed up and practice all our shots. He's done that for two hours, so it's not yeah, yeah, that's what I expect. I mean, some people do it, but they love it. They're animals.
Speaker 1: Well, Marcus, the next time we talk will be after the match. So we've had we've had a message from Martin in Hampshire just wishes you and Billy the best of luck.
Speaker 2: You're Tennessee right there. Just need to execute is what he says.
Speaker 1: And you know, I just want to wish you, like as a mate and all of that, like just the best of luck.
Speaker 2: I'm really hoping that my.
Speaker 1: Working day pans out and I can get up and be there and I've got a ticket so I don't even.
Speaker 2: Need to bother you for it. Amazing, So fingers crossed, I can do that and I can be there, and.
Speaker 3: I've got loads. I've got loads. Spare everyone falling out of the pocket.
Speaker 1: And then and then we'll talk tomorrow night. Perfect, okay, mate, Best of luck.