Speaker 1: Hello everyone, Welcome back to continue and brought to you by Europe Media. I'm Keith Woods. I'm here at my steam course Ryan. Today we're going to be discussing Carol Popper and the Upper Society ran This was your idea to cover this as a topic. What was it that put you on to Carol Popper as a thinker worked talking about Well, it was Keith Woods. Really, Carl Proper, I didn't know you really said that. No, no, To be.
Speaker 2: Fair to you, you sort of said that Popper was not spoken about nearly enough within the scene. You know, a lot of people were describing the processes since you know, the interwar period and post World War two as cultural Marxism, very vague things like that that really missed the detail of how modern democracy is defined and been enshrined legally. And you did a couple of excellent threads on on Twitter sort of detailing Popper's influence. So yeah, I've I since read The Open Society and Its Enemies. Obviously, I was very aware of George Solas's Open Society Foundation and the kind of activism slash destruction they have brought on various Western countries. So I was intrigued to read it, and I think it's definitely worth discussing in depth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have. I don't know if I can take credit for it, but I have noticed some people on our side talking more about the idea of the open society and liberal pluralism and kind of trying to get to the roots of the postwar consensus rather than Yeah, I think a few years ago it was very like, you know, this theory of Marxist subversion. It was all Gramsky and intellectuals that snuck into the institutions, and sometimes there was a reluctance, i think, especially from people coming from a conservative background, to look at the deeper foundations within liberal thought thinkers that are considered more moderate or part of the liberal tradition. But then when you look at them, you know, you do find that there's this extremely strong current that isn't just confined to the left after the post war, that is essentially built on this foundation of never again. Right, That's that's what Paper rebuilt his own his own theory on. But yeah, it's the shock of the Second World War, the shock of you know, the the idea of of racial science and totalitarianism and genocide. On this mass scale. And we discussed this a little bit in the in the Wokeness episode, But there we were talking about strains of new left thodd Popper doesn't really fall into that, you know, and some people sometimes he's cited as kind of a conservative or libertarian thinker. Libertarians are quite friendly to his thought. But yes, you do find a lot of the problems we encounter now when it comes to trying to kind of wrestle back control of our own societies. You find that the whole structure of modern liberal democracy is very tied up with Poperian ideas. So I think it's worth studying. But yeah, a lot of his foundational ideas have really become omnipresent, just in the way people talk about things like liberalism, democracy, populism, totalitarianism, just in the vocabulary of liberalism and what these terms mean. Now, a lot of it can be traced back to Popper's thought. But let's get into it. I think you can't have this discussion about Popper without stay Marden with his biography, because I think his life story is central to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was born in Vienna at the start of the twentieth century. He was twelve years old when a little Serbian boy called Govrilla prince Hip shot the Archduke of Austro Hungary. Obviously, the you know, the First World War ensued, one of the bloodiest wars that had ever been until that time. So at twelve years old, he was you know, thrown in the deep end of experiencing a brutal tribal warfare. Vienna is a very strange place. I went there last year and you can just feel the Empire lives on to this day. It's incredibly aristocratic, very grand architecture everywhere, but you feel the multi ethnic character very much, and I mean you hear Serbian, Hungarian, Slovak and all the other new groups that are there now.
Speaker 1: But it's you know, eventually we'll bring us back around to Sous. But you know the European University that was started by Sorous's Open Society foundation, it had moved to Budapest and Hungary and because of the urban government it was basically forest owed and it is in Vienna now, which is kind of fit in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has a reputation as an intellectual center. Also, you know, other intellectuals at the time that were pretty forward thinking from there were Freud and Witgenstein. So you know, modern multi ethnic empire, intellectual thought going on in that area gets hit by war, and then, you know, as as Popper's growing up, same thing starts happening when n s Germany starts rising and he flees to New Zealand in the late thirties and he publishes The Open Society and Its Enemies in nineteen forty five, so his intellectual defense of liberalism and never Again is published just in time for new constitutions to be drawn, and you know, hence its influenced this day.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna call you on the Vitgenstein pronunciation. So it reminds me when I did a podcast with a guy called Chrispond before in the entire two hours kept send desks. Its driven me crazy.
Speaker 2: And hoped Chris Bond is a legend though I did like him.
Speaker 1: But because we're friendly enough, I'm just gonna, I'm just gonna call you there.
Speaker 2: He was smiling for the whole time while I was speaking.
Speaker 1: Just bring him back some memories. But yeah, I mean, what's significant about that, though, is the Jewish element. There's a biographer of Karl Popper called Malachi Hack Cohen, who is himself an Israeli ju I think, I think he's a Zionist. So these he has this interesting perspective on Jewish intelligency in the twentieth century. But he wrote this long biography of Popper and then he has a number of papers on the intellectual influences on him. But one thing he really emphasizes is that you can't understand the work of Popper without understanding it coming from someone who is living the life of cosmopolitan, urbanite jew who had his social reality really transformed and you know, the foundation has just pulled out from under him, and that he came from a milieu of Jewish intellectuals and just a Jewish community in Austria that, as you said, grew up in a multi ethnic, cosmopolitan Habsburg Empire. Nationalism was this dangerous foreign thing, but usually had their place in that society, right. They were kind of culture bearers. There were culture leaders. Vienna was this cosmopolitan place where they could engage in intellectual activity and so Ha Cohen says that the idea of the open society is really the universalization of the cosmopolitan, internationalist Jews ideal way of being in terms of creating a universal legalism that protects them and basically trying to recreate the conditions of the liberal Habsburg empire prior to the rise of nationalism and authoritarianism and fascism and everything that came with it. And I mean Popper is interesting in that regard, in that you know, pretty much every liberal intellectual after the Second World War and kind of as part of the post war consensus. I mean, this was like the post World War One consensus. You could say it was like national self determination. Popper is one intellectual that actually rejects that and just never accepted any degree of nationalism. Some liberal theorists will have a respect or idealize small nation states, smaller nationalisms. You don't even get that with Popper. He was contemptuous of all of it. And yeah, I mean the story really starts with him living within this cosmopolitan Jewish community in a multi ethnic empire, and suddenly the foundations of that are wiped out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and George Soros the same he was in Hungary, he suffered a similar kind of fate. He managed to survive the war and then became a student of Popper in at the London School of Economics. So what an impact they've had on the world since their you know, respective experiences not far from each other in Central Europe.
Speaker 1: There are so many stories like that that's remarkable. I mean, i I've out in mind at times to write a book on this. I mean, you could, if you could just go through all of the emigres and the intellectual impact they had and the common direction it went in. Ernest Gllner is another one. Ernest Gelner is one of the most influential sociologists of the twentieth century, some people might say the most, and his theory of nationalism, his modernist theory of nationalism, was the dominant and probably still is the dominant theory of nationalism in sociology. You know, this idea that's a modern construction, creation of the Industrial Revolution and so on. And he's a very similar story. You know, he grew up in a Jewish family in Prague again at the time, which was a very cosmopolitan, more multicultural city, and again they fled because of you know, tensions with Germany, and eventually, of course not to Germany invaded Czechoslovakia. But just again a very similar story of these emigres that grow up in a more cosmopolitan Europe of multi ethnic empires, see the rise of nationalism and fascism, and have this impetus behind their work from that point on where they go into sociology or philosophy or political theory and have this strong desire to deconstruct the impulses that led to those forces.
Speaker 2: That's quite a good segue because the first philosopher that Poper addresses in his work is Plato. So some brief background on Plato. He was an Athenian and he grew up during the Peloponnesian War between Sparta and Athens. Sparta eventually won that war. They put in a puppet government which was ruled by what's called the Thirty Tyrants, of which more than a couple of members were linked to Plato because he had quite an aristocratic background. And Popper for pages and pages, it was several hours I was listening to the audio book. He just tries to destroy and defame Plato, who's become a hero of mine, and in the last few years, it really is just a total defamation. He basically mates out that Plato's work is covering for his tyrannical you know, family members, that is a complete authoritarian. He kind of draws on the theory of forms and the idea of philosopher Kings as you know, being total like totalitarian in nature. You know, he decries him as a Eugenesist, someone that would enforce a caste system with no mobility, and and many other attacks. And I when I was listening to it, I just thought it was so intellectually dishonest. And you know, having read this book recently, that clarifies certainly that it is a dishonest work. I don't know what you thought of it yourself, as as you were reading that first section on Plato.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It is a surprisingly polemical work. Whether he's attacking Plaid or letter Hegel. The one he goes a bit easier on is Maerks actually, but especially with Plato and Hegel, he's pretty he's pretty ruthless. And Harry writes and yeah, as you say, often unjustified. But you know, it's interesting to see that in constructing this liberal political project, he's not just taking aim and Plato for his politics. He's taken aim at the idea of theory of forms and of metaphysical realism and the idea of constructing metaphysics and having your politics be downstream from that. So he's challenging the very foundations of classical political philosophy, which were based in the idea of there being a good life, there being an end towards which states should aim if there are four people's good and that we can use reason to discover these collective goods and the purpose of the state. So Paper wants to reject all of that, you know, he wants to get to the ultimate foundations of totalitarian thought, which comes down to people have competing visions of the good life, and as long as that happens, someone can come and impose their vision on the masses. And so he wants to cut the foundations of that and say that this is off limits for human discourse. We're supposed to just focus on, you know, rational argumentation about empirical matters, not drift off into this kind of mystical discussion about realms of forms or you know, objective moral goods or any of these things. Of course, he falls into the same problem any relativists do when they're trying to do this, is he's obviously proposing his own moral scheme while you know, just not justifying it and saying we should take it as given, which is, you know, obviously ridiculous. And what is moral system comes down to at Rude is this kind of negative utilitarianism. He says again and again that the only the only moral guide is basically reduced and suffering. But yeah, I think it's it's notable that in trying to once and for all remove totalitarian good and establish liberalism, he has to launch really a full attack on metaphysics. You know, it shows the the negative tendency of liberalism as as kind of an anti ideology that if you remove meaning, if you remove search for transcendence or higher purpose, but then what you're left with is this kind of liberal proceduralism that people just accepted for utilitarian reasons.
Speaker 2: I think a trick he makes as well is he strongly endorses Socrates. I think he's forced into that position because you know, between Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, they you know, they are the titans of Western for they are the ones that developed reason. They are the foundation of you know, all of Western civilization. So he has to lean on something, and he he makes this play where he basically says that Socrates is actually the democrat, He's actually the father of the open society. He's debating down in the piaeas port with you know, the common man, while Plato's in the academy with his elite. But in reality, Socrates was the tutor of the main players of the tyrants, critias, comedies is It and Alcibiades, you know, and he was a soldier himself, you know, very anti democratic in his sport.
Speaker 1: And I think there's very good reason to think this is a whole other topic, but you know the story. So sometimes people that dislike playto on Socrates, like Nietzschean's we'll say, well, that was you know, putting Socrates to death was totally justified because he was this subversive liberal, pro democratic thinker. It actually seems now like he was most likely put to death if you look past you know, the spin maybe Plato puts in, he was most likely to put to death because of that connection to tyranny, the fact that one of the fact that his students had been involved in the tyranny of the dirty and that it was seen that he was esoterically teaching an anti democratic message, and that he was justifying that. You know, there was a after that ended. It was a very brutal tyrannical period, and there was kind of an amnesty where there was an agreement to kind of you know, forget about that and cease hostilities to stop Athens turning into complete civil war. But there was a constant distrust of Socrates from that point on, and I think, you know, I think his thought coming troop Plato is anti democratic. It was. I mean, there was obviously there was obviously a basis for that suspicion.
Speaker 2: It was all about the amnesty because yeah, they wanted to end the blood feud effectively, so they put on trial for corrupting the youth. I mean, it's not much different from modern day lawfare, is it. But yeah, I mean they had good reason to be anti democratic in my opinion. I mean Plato saw in his life growing up that I think he said that in ancient Athens, honor replaced wisdom, and money replaced honor, and it became a rule of the mob. Obviously, the Peloponnesian War was you know, expensive and chaotic. There were you know, constant there was a constant need to democratize power or whatever, and Plato saw many problems with But Popper completely neglects the latter part of Plato's life where he traveled to Syracuse as a philosopher to try and teach the tyrants of Syracuse how to become philosopher kings how to become moral men. And he actually offended Dionysius the first to the point where he was sold into slavery, so Plato himself became a slave. I think he said something like, I'm looking for a good man. And Dionysus was so offended by the fact that he wasn't already considered a philosopher king that he had had enough of Plato and got rid of him. And then Plato was invited back by his friend dion to try and teach the son of Dionysius to become a philosopher king a moral man. But again and the son was also a tyrant. So you know, Plato's whole life and everyone he was connected to were you know, these fighting men without reason, and his life's work was trying to develop a philosophy of the good. And you know, we, as you know, sons of Western Europe owe him an enormous step for what he did. And you know, Popper, as a cosmopolitan Jew, has destroyed him in an attempt to you know, create something new to benefit you know, his group or his own view of the world based on his experiences. So you know, that's my perception of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and getting into it, I mean, Plato becomes the ultimate embodiment of the thinker of the clause society. And this is the big binary that Popper establishes, is the open society and the closed society. And you know, explain it. I mean, it's a very simplistic scheme, right, I mean, essentially, people are individualistic, we're atomistic individuals, we have reasoning capacities, we kind of naturally tend towards liberal, individualist societies, but we also have tribal impulses. Our worst impulses are tribal and collectivists. And true history, there are nefarious thinkers like Plato, Aristotle and then later on Hegel and other German thinkers who take advantage of this negative tribal nature and encourage the closed society. And the closed society is where one vision of the good is imposed on society, true totalitarian methods, where our individual rights are individual conscience or sacrificed for this idea of a greater good. And this is the source of the great evils of history. This is the cause of totalitarianism, and this is the cause of the terrible twentieth century totalitarianism that Popper is reacting against, and because of which there's such a large audience for Propper when he turns to political philosophy. Now, Popper's idea of the open society, again, it's taken as given individual rights, individual conscience, anatomized individual entering into liberal society. And what makes it different from you know, your standard liberal democracy up to that point is Popper really emphasizes institutions and emphasizes the pluralless nature of a proper democracy. So the open society, it's not just that you have, you know, elections every four or five years, but you have to create the values of the open society and people. People have to believe in openness, tolerance, pluralism. These are the foundational beliefs. And it also has to be institutionalized, right, you have to protect minority individual rights. Rights become more important than the collective will, which in later years politicians will use this a lot and equated with populism. And this is where really we get this idea that there's a conflict between populism and democracy. This is very much a poparian idea because you know, for him, you know, just the mass democratic will freed. Well, that can be taken advantage of by tyrants, bye detalitarians that direct that in the direction of the closed society. What really matters is pluralism. What really matters is preserving as liberals will say out, democratic values, and the democratic values are basically the values of the open society. It's the values of openness. And then, of course, this is where another famous idea from Proper, the paradox of tolerance comes in that to uphold a tolerant open society, you can't tolerate intolerant ideas. So anti democratic, anti pluralist ideas need to be stamped out. Parties that promote them can be banned, Individuals can be silenced that promote these ideas, and so you get this scheme that leads you towards institutionalized pluralism. That pluralism has to be enforced through the legal system, through civil society, the Open Society Foundation being the perfect example actually, and they fund media organizations and journalists across the world. It needs to be enforced through international bodies that can cooperate to ensure individual nation states aren't taking the way the rights away the rights of individuals. It needs to be enforced through human rights agreements and treaties. And again, the European Convention on Human Rights are very kind of poper document and something that the Open Society Foundation has pushed for heavily is to base national constitutions and national law on the European Convention and human rights. That's a very Poperian way of looking at law and stagecraft. And so this is the Poperian ideal. And this is why you say that Popper's ideas are really what have won out in the twentieth century. You know, there's kind of a there's a more leftist approach and a more right approach. And he was he was friendly with Hiek, and like I said, libertarians looked to him. He was more of a social democrat himself. But the foundational pluralism and understanding of democracy has really become taken for granted as outlined there, you know, by the fact that we see populism and democracy as two things that are maybe not just separate, but potentially even incompatible.
Speaker 2: Now, well, yeah, that's all coming to the forefront with the antagonism in Germany at the moment. You know, AfD are rising through the polls and now the German State is saying, well, actually, you're a threat to democracy. A lot of people don't understand what that means. A lot of people don't understand that the German constitution is actually based on Carl Popper. So we're in a situation now where majoritarian rule, the idea of national recovery is seen as beyond the pale by these European institutions, German State or the EU EHR. So you know that that debate is going to be had. You know, it's interesting times ahead, and I think this needs to be out in the open. You know, if Germany is to survive as a nation, they need to understand the foundation of the modern constitution. And yeah, I guess that brings us to the other great philosopher. The Popper attacks in the work is his attack on Hegel, who many people might not know, but Hagel is the philosophical origin of you know, later theories of of Marxism and fascism. So yeah, I guess we'll get into that now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're worth mentioning in that regard as well. I mean German legal theorists and political theorists that explicitly ciged Popper's paradox of tolerance to justify you know, constitutional bands on on parodies and these institutions in Germany, you know, the special like institutions to protect the constitution and so on, that have this incredible overarching power to ban parties and organizations to to enforce democracy, and that they were often citing Popper directly. Because it's funny because sometimes I've brought up Opper in the past and you see people say, oh, the paradox of tolerance is like misunderstood and he didn't really mint it the way people say he did. But it's like, well, that is that was the interpretation that was used by by German jurists to justify these really anti democratic actions the liberal state has taken there. But yeah, with with Hegel, I mean with Hegel, you really see this critique of historicism, which again is kind of a maybe the unique aspect to Popper's political thought where we discussed you know what Plato, He's opposed to an idea of a theory of forms or metaphysical realism or or ground in political theory and in great metaphysical ideals. He also opposes playedoff for his historicism and this idea that you know, nature and history was tending towards the ideal state, and of course you get that usually with Hegel. Hegel is often it's like equated with the historical method and you know, thesis as anti thesis synthesis. This is like the you know shorthand that people associate with Hegel. And yeah, he's he's he's blistering in his attacks on Hegel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's attacks on historicism. You know, I lost count. He must have attacked historicism about thirty times. But yeah, in terms of you know, introduction to Hegel, you know, he has his dialectical methods, which is the thesis antithesis, synthesis. It's based in the idea that you know, every idea has an internal contradiction and then you resolve the contradiction and create the synthesis. And this manifest as what he calls an absolute spirit, which is basically the will of God unfolding through the nation state. It's obviously very statist idea, it's very German in character, but it's also very progressive. It has a very internal progressive logic, and you know many traditionalists critique it from that angle. But yeah, he again he attacks Hegel. Hegel's character as he attacks Plato. He leans very much into Schopenhauer's critiques. Keith is a big, big fan of Schopenhouer, so it made me smile when I was listening to the work. But you know, he accuses Hegel of being an asset of the Prussian monarchy, basically, you know, endorsing the militaristic, fascistic Prussian state. He accuses Hegel of being an obscurantist. You know, many people make that critique that his language is very difficult. So yeah, that's kind of how he starts his critique on Hegel.
Speaker 1: The philosophy sprogue are going to be all over this. If we don't point out that Hegel doesn't actually mention thesis and esus synthesis, they always jump on at it. It is technically true with the dialectic is in Hegel. And that's why Popper has such an issue as he sees any any strain of thought that sees that there's a purpose or progress history is necessarily dangerous to him because then you can use this big other you can use this metaphysical entity or this tell us to history to justify constraints on the individual. You know, we're doing this for the progress of history. We're doing this to establish utopia. We're doing this for the bring about the proletarian revolution in the classical States. So this is why he has a problem with all of these strains of thought, which again for his time, was an interesting way to attack totalitarianism, to find that there's these there's these meta ideas underneath. Now, of course, I think it becomes problematic because I think he engages in a lot of this himself. You know, even of course when he's attacking totalizing systems. I mean, you can't get outside creating some kind of meta system having some kind of objective moral ground, which he does when he establishes this negative utilitarian principle. But even with the historicism, you know, it's in his philosophy, we've progressed to liberal pluralist societies. There's clearly got of progress to history there. But I think his big issue is given this any kind of metaphysical content. But one of the things that surprised me actually, but his critique of Hegel is he blames hegel and associated German idealist thinkers, specifically Herder and Ficta. He blames them not only for inventing German nationalism, which is a charge you'll hear sometimes that Ficta basically invents German nationalism in the nineteenth century, but he actually blames him for inventing nationalism itself and again at its time. I mean, this is before the modernist theories of nationalism became really popular, where nationalism is just this modern idea invented either after the French Revolution or as a function of the Industrial Revolution to aid in modernization and the production of mass culture. So Popper, in some way he's ahead of his time. I'm with the theories that are about to come. But I mean, this is an incredibly radical claim that that a group of German idealist philosophers just invented nationalism one Thursday mornings. It's quite something. So he's really radical. I mean, he goes further than most modernist theorists even would go in his understanding of nationalism. So in the Open Society, at one point he says, none of the theories which maintained that a nation is united by a common origin or a common language or a common history is acceptable or applicable in practice. The principle of the national state is not only inapplicable, but it has never been clearly conceived. It is a myth. It is an irrational, romantic and utopian dream, a dream of naturalism and of tribal collectivism. And then elsewhere he celebrates cosmopolitan empire as the ideal, and again it's just a remarkably simplistic understand and of history. At one point he says that after Aristotle's student Alexander created his empire, that we basically had two millennia where there was no nationalism, tribalism, ethnic collectivist politics. It's incredible, he says, But this early development of nationalist political theory, he's talking about the work of Plato there stops short with Aristotle. With Alexander's empire, genuine tribal nationalism disappears forever from political practice and for a long time from political theory. From Alexander onward, all the civilized states of Europe and Asia were empires, embracing populations of infinitely mixed origin. European civilization and all the political units belonging to it have remained international or more precisely inter tribal. Ever, since where do you even start with that? I mean, you know, if you want to talk about ethnic collectivist tribal politics, since Alexander, I mean, you know, we talk about the Spanish reconquists, that talk about, you know, the Middle Ages. Medieval historians recognized now that the modern European nation states basically all existed in some form by it by the Middle Ages. But I mean you can go on and on. I mean, you can talk about the you know, you can talk about the Jewish revolts his own people, right, But I mean, I think for our audience we probably don't even need to get into the case that from Alexander the Great to Hegel there has been ethnic, tribal and racial politics. It's quite an incredible claim.
Speaker 2: Saint Bede must have made a mistake when he defined the English in the seventh century or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I said, it's an incredible claim. Even the most radical anti nationalist theorists, I mean to just say that there's he says, there's no foundation. He says nations are infinitely mixed. Even the you know, the modern constructors of nation states, you know, they say your country doesn't exist because you're you're actually angles and Saxons and Normans and Vikings. Popper has going further. It's just like it's an infinity mix. It's like every single individual and I guess then you can break down the individuals as well. But yeah, he also makes this argument that nationalism is pos is impossible because no one can clearly define where the nation starts and ends, and even if you could, no one can exactly match the borders to that. Again, just such a juvenile argument, like the kind of thing that if you encountered it on, you know, in your Twitter comments, you'd like block the person and move on, because it's just so juvenile. It is a fallacy. It's this nirvana fallacy that well, you can't establish perfectly some perfect map of exactly what you want to utopia, so therefore this political project is ridiculous. It's like, you know, no one is saying we're gonna have like a perfect ethnic boundary with like one one hundred percent ethnic group in said country, but it's like, who's making this argument? So he has these you see it slipped through when he's arguing against these topics. He's clearly very passionate about it. It's just very kind of lazy argumentation, and that really comes true with his explanation for how nationalism emerges. And so, as you said, he says Hegel is employed in the service of Prussian statesman, and then he cites Herder and his idea of a German culture, and then Ficta kind of solidifies the idea of a German nation, and really in three four pages of the Open Society he skims through it and says, this handful of German intellectuals just invented nationalism. And you know, that's really as deep as it goes. As well, they wrote a nation state exists, and then people started believing in nationalism because they had you know, they had done what Plato did and tapped into people's worst tribalistic urges. And again even makes this argument against Kta that Ficta says that the nation is united by common language, that's the root of the common culture. And you know, he again he makes this kind of purity argument of well, what is every German speaking person going to be included in Germany? Very unimpressive, but again there's a problem with this theory that plagues all of these modernist theories of nationalism is he's saying, well, Ficta appealed to the idea of German nationalism, and that created the German nation, that created nationalism. But it's like, well, clearly, if these intellectuals could appeal to a sense of germanists, then a sense of Germanists already existed, right. There was something there to tap into. There was a sense of a German people common culture. This wasn't something that intellectuals had to construct and explain to people if they were part of the group or not. This was obviously a lived experience. And in so far as you start to see intellectuals tap into it and describe it more, and as far as you start to see it use more for political purposes, well that's really because more people are becoming politicized, more people are becoming literate, more people are entering into these mass democratic systems we have. And this is just such an obvious contradiction that exists throughout this explanation where he's talking about, well, then this thinker came up with this element of German culture and this sinker appeal to this, and it's like, well, what, there's obviously this huge background that they're appealing to. And again it's this problem like I discussed with Jordan Peterson before, where sometimes intellectuals are overly reductive in how much history is determined by intellectuals. You know, when you blame you blame modern leftism on French neo Marxist theory. And it's the same thing here where he's looking to a group of intellectuals and philosophers that were only ever read or understood by a very tiny percentage of the pop and he's saying that somehow, this incredibly potent, powerful force of nationalism that has come to dominate the world over most states in the world are nation states that are ethnically based. He's attributed that to a handful of German intellectuals in the eighteenth to nineteenth century that you know, used some dangerous ideas. And it's like, well, what does that say about the power of whatever national identities were pre existing there and the weakness of the liberal cosmopolitan idea. If three four German philosophers can strength some words together and it creates this massive, totalizing, globe spanning force that overtrows all the empires in the world.
Speaker 2: He just made me think of the story of Arminius. He was a German boy taken into the Roman legions because the Germans had to pay tribute, and he ended up returning to the blood betraying the Roman legion. And you know that was the victory of tudor Burgh Forest, which is you know, legendary in German history, and you know Spengler always references it, so you know that as yet another example of nationalism against you know, what was by then a multi ethnic empire. So you know, Popper is just constantly cherry picking all over the place to present this absurd, you know, completely atomizing thesis that you know is basically just a result of his upbringing in a cosmopolitan intellectual environment and you know, his systematizing brain, which you know can you know, infinitely deconstruct things which don't suit him. So that's my I have.
Speaker 1: I actually wrote something on this before Ethno Politics of the Holy Roman Empire showing that because I think it's an interesting case study because the Holy Roman Empire is taken as this ultimate medieval state rights it's fragmented into a thousand different duchies and principalities and little provinces and so on, and it's the ultimate like oh, nationalism as a modern invention, because this is what the medieval map looked like. You know, try and find Germany on that map. But then you look at it and well, there actually there was a strong sense of German identity and there was a sense of German nation such that not long into the empire's existence. For most of the empire's existence, it was known as the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation. That's the bit that that's usually left out. But yeah, most of the rulers were German. You know, the Council of Princes that that elected and emperor was overwhelmingly dominated by German. Yeah, there was a German vernacular. You know, there were national theater and literature that encompassed all of these provinces, and way before the advent of when people say nationalism was invented, before Hegel and fiktas Popper describes it, I mean, you know, centuries prior, you had thinkers that were talking about the future of the German nation and if it would be better that eventually it were united and the fragmentation of the Holy Roman Empire was ended. You know, there was strong ethnic based theories about the lineage from the Roman Empire, the inheritance of the Roman Empire to the Germans. German scholars began to take pride in the way the Romans had described the character of the German race, as written about by Tacitus, another Roman historian. So it's all there, the sense of an ethnic collective, of a national group, it's all there. And Popper just kind of waves away that by saying, there's just something called tribalism that is there somewhere. It's some kind of dark matter. It doesn't have any particular group that it's attached to, there's no real reality for it. But there's just this something underneath the surface called tribalism. And then thinkers kind of construct that into nation state or national culture with their dangerous ideas. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all. And yeah, I mean, this is what you find again and again is whether you know, the way he deals with history, the way he deals with competing political theories, it's extremely intellectually sloppy. It's quite incredible sometimes when you look at how lacking and rigorous some of the you know, some very prominent public intellectuals there when they look at anything outside the narrow field they're working on.
Speaker 2: I know he was involved in some other areas like epistemology, you know, being his main field. But do you think he built his clout in that domain and was then able to transfer into politics and he was kind of kind of running off that reputation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think Bertrand Russell was actually a big part of the reason that the Open Society became popular. He did a lot to popularize it and to help with Popper's reputation. And yeah, and in the nineteen thirties, I mean he was close to the Vienna Circle, which was the school of again dominated by Jewish thinkers that were focused on verificationism and this kind of positivistic trend in philosophy. And that was Popper's contribution was a theory of science, of scientific realism, that science progresses through verificationism and falsifiability is the key of a good scientific theory, and that's how we can know what's true and false in science is to falsify theories. Now, even that is not really accepted as a good theory about pistemology. Now, you know, the best theories we have, they get falsified all the time. In certain aspects. Newtonian physics was falsified again and again certain elements of it. But we keep the paradigm, we keep the structure because the core, the important assumptions, are still useful to explain other things. So you know, this idea of you know, Thomas Kuhne, that science operates on paradigms and you have paradigm shifts where we change the meta level assumptions. That's a much more powerful explanation of how science works. But yes, he was. He was part of that tendency in philosophy and in science of trying to establish a rigorous verificationist, fully empirical modeling of reality that didn't require any of the you know, the philosophers or the metaphysicians. It was a deeply flawed project, and I think he carried over a lot of the same kinds of flaws to his political project again and in the world way that he just so much is assumed in terms of the assumption of you know, the negative utilitarianism and the good of reducing suffering, and of individual liberty and individual conscience, and the evils of tyranny and nationalism and stalitarianism. I mean, so many of these things are just not spelled out like it's a it's kind of a guidebook for people that already agree with them. It's an explanation of why people that disagree with the liberal model have have been able to gain power or what the force of their ideas has been. But is fundamental kind of guiding ethos. It does just rest on this kind of you know, post Christian foundation that role meant to take for granted, this basic liberal individualism. And of course at the same time he's proposing a pluralist institutional framework that in the long run, it hollows out national identity, it hollows out sense of any sense of civic pride or shared understanding. And these are all things that are necessary to have the common foundations for us to come together and reason and be rational beings and establish institutions and trust and scientific reproducibility. I mean all of these things that he says are necessary for the successful open society. They require high trust societies. They require shared culture and understanding and a shared value for the things that he values, And never does he explain what the source of that is. How do you inculcate those values? How do you inculcate those morals, how are people going to continue believing the things that he believes are important are important? And of course most of the world does not value scientific investigation and objective reason, and you know, value lessening the suffering of the poorest over the excellence of the highest, these kinds of things, and these are very Western, narrow cultural values. And you can see at the time of the Cold War and after the Second World War, how you can imagine they're universal. But of course now we see partly open societies are breaking down because of imported diversity. And this is obviously you can see that even people that agree with Popper, you'll see guys like Sam Harris then well, actually, course, correction, we can't have the open society and import tens of millions of Muslims that are going to engage in ethnic collective as politics. Popper doesn't have an answer for any of this. He never even he never even considers it. But this is obviously fundamental, is what is the basis for any of this and what is the kind of societal glue that's going to hold all of it together.
Speaker 2: So it's amazing how far this theory has got. You know, immediately after the end of World War two, West Germany starts creating a new constitution, and we see the godfather, well, the father of that constitution, drawing heavily on on Popper's open society. He was a man named Carlo Schmid, not to be confused with Carl Schmidt.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a funny irony, isn't it. Like the it's like the two polarities of the German mind, cal Schmidt and Carolo Schmid is like, yeah, one is the ultimate like you know, pluralist, institutionalized values, and the one is the ultimate decisionist.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's very strange to me that a legal scholar with that kind of responsibility, you know, draws on what I would consider a very sloppy work, a very intellectually dishonest work, and then sets about, you know, the writing the legal foundation of his nation, which could define, you know, whether it even exists into the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Popper also had a teaching job at the London School of Economics. George Soros was one of his students, and George Soros, you know, after his trauma in World War Two, was very interested in the ideas that Popper was presenting. He had a very similar background in a cosmopolitan city in the Austro Hungarian Empire. And George Soros went on to make a lot of money in finance and then he used that money for philanthropy. He you know, created the Central European University. He hired you know, jurist legal scholars to influence the constitutions of the Warsaw Pac countries after the Berlin War came down, and the you know, the modern German constitution. So you know, this, this, this work, which I would you know, consider very sloppy, intellectually dishonest, has just had this huge impact literally changing the definition of democracy itself. And people are only just realizing what it's going to take to reverse this course. The decline in birth rates, the the lack of meaning we seem to have in our lives now, the you know, the ever progressive multiculture that you know confuses and depresses people and puts them in danger. This is you know, all downstream of Popper's work, of George Soros's activism, and it yeah, very important to you know, set out how how this has happened and you know, critique it. And you know, Popper's work came at the right time in history. He was able to instantiate his will on the world because he presented and an argument, an idea at the right time. I believe now is our time. We need to be doing the same in the opposite direction. You know, maybe even we'll we'll translate this episode into German via AI, because you know, many Germans might may not even realize the you know, kind of legal prison they are now in. And you know, there's going to be a reckoning. And there are a lot of other intellectuals, you know, desperate to maintain this version of pluralism, you know, from Anne Apple, Balm, Sam Harris, as you've meant. I've even got a book here, How Democracies Die by is it Levitsky and Ziblat. This is a very kind of normy accessible book that basically paints the Republican Party as you know, a fascist party and sort of talks about the polarization of American politics and the need for very strong institutions. And you know, these people always go on about the need for very strong institutions and democratic norms, and you know, it's all a very delicate game that we're playing, and we need to nudge it around. And you know, but Popper himself uses this phrase piecemeal social engineering. And the people that are in control of our political systems, now that is how they see the world. They see our existence as nations is just the technocratic project. The you know, the system you know, takes on a kind of divine character and they see it as their job to nudge it around. And you know, have strong institutions to prevent the ever again, prevent the specter of authoritarianism, and you know all these other things, and you know, it just fills up. We're trapped in this stasis without meaning, without the you know, even the legal right to express our feelings.
Speaker 1: So reading it back today, the up in society, I mean, like havn't researched some of these topics, more like the nationalism section for example, where he's talking about these guys inventing nationalism and where he's talking about it, there's this long period of where there's there's no ethnic politics in Europe. I mean, it's like you can go true sentence by sentence and there's just so many problems. There's such a lack of historical knowledge or just intentionally misleading or even lying, and you know, there's no arguments presented against any of the philosophy of Plato against played Inis metaphysics or pistemology or any of these things. And you know, the point is he didn't win because he has the better arguments, Like, none of this is rigorous, none of this is comprehensive, there's no foundation for any of his own beliefs. He can't really ground any of it. It's it's sort of just taken for granted that the reader will appreciate this package of open society beliefs that he's presenting. But he influenced the right people, Like you said, it came at the right time. George Soros is a student of his. Influential legal theorists and jurists, there are students of his, and you know, it's again, you find again and again sometimes you go back to the foundation of the postwar order of post war liberal progressive theory, and it's just profoundly lacking in depth and historical understanding and philosophical rigor. But yet it is and will remain one of the most influential texts of any kind, not just political philosophy, but of any kind of of the twentieth century, and Popper's legacy endurers. But yeah, it's it's important for us to understand the foundations of the open society, pluralism and the attack on on on real democracy and on nationalism that this system has given way to. Now that will be the battle of our age. They recognize it, the authors of how democracies are recognized, and yeah, that's that's the new playing field. But yeah, that's it for now. Thanks for tuning in, Thanks run as always, and take care.