Speaker 1: The rush hour with James Golden entertaining and informative on the Red Apple podcast network, and we.
Speaker 2: Have quite some night apparently if you are on the east coast of the New you know, by the way, if you if you have folks visiting over there in Europe, the first total solar eclipse in decades happened today tonight their time. It's totality. People had paid exorbitant hotel rates to get the best point of views. The sun totally obscured. Uh, there is something happening in New Jersey and for that tonight, not on the same experience level, but for that we call in and so glad to have him the official astronomer here at both early's rush hour Gary swingin Gary, how are you this afternoon?
Speaker 3: Well, good afternoon to you, James, and thank you for having me on again. I just want to make a clarification. It's going to be visible all over North America at the event tonight.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I thought this was New Jersey. I thought it was on the east coast. You mean to tell me this thing is going to be all over the country.
Speaker 3: Most of the northern hemisphere.
Speaker 2: Oh, tell everybody what it is. I'm keeping him a suspense all over the country. Folks, no matter where you are in the country, you might be able to participate.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, exactly. It's called the percied media shower coming out of the constellation of Perseus. It's an incredible event if we can see it. I'n't got my fingers crossed. And when I would advise folks to do, if the weather cooperates with us, to look in the northeast about eleven PM tonight, wait until it gets dark and get away from an area that has an air pollution or any kind of bright lights. You you need to be out in the field or somewhere where it's pretty dark to see the large number of meteors. And of course you'll be able to see this this show if the weather helps us anywhere between eleven PM up to the wee hours of the early morning about five AM and so.
Speaker 2: And during that time, what will people see? They will see a bunch of media streaking across the sky just one aft. Are they sometimes in groups like you see? Or what do they what should they expect to see if the weather cooperates.
Speaker 3: Well, if the weather cooperates, you know, under ideal conditions, which is about you'll see anywhere between the fifty and one hundred meteors per hour in this area. That's under ideal conditions, James, as if you're at Arizona or Wyoming or some other deserted area so to speak. Now it's i would say around this year, you'd say anywhere about a maximum probably I'll say thirty per hour. And the good thing about it is that the moon is not visible, so we're going to have a pretty dark night if the weather cooperates with us.
Speaker 2: The moon is not visible because of where it is falling on its monthly rotation.
Speaker 3: Correct exactly, because you know we had we had the solar eclipse this morning, or rather this afternoon, and of course by that time, the Earth has rotated, and of course the Sun so to speak, is somewhat on the other side for this celestial event.
Speaker 4: So this could be a big deal.
Speaker 2: Now if people want to, If people want to, what's the best way if you wanted to capture video of when you look at the night skies and people see this, People do this all the time. Maybe you have some tips, maybe you don't. But if you're outside and you see it's particularly a beautiful night, and you want to take a picture on your phone or picture or camera. What's the best way to take a picture of the night sky.
Speaker 3: Well, I would suggest if you're using a camera, use a digital uh you know SLR and have to shutter wide open as long as you can possibly keep it open during that time, and you'll get these streaks across the sky. Use a wide as I say, to a wider lend lens so that you get a wide field of the view of the sky. But the best, the best way to look at the media showers with the naked eye. Don't use anything. I see people go out with binoculars and you only that limits your field of view. But to go out there and just look up at the night on a crystal clear night sky and you'll see perhaps in this area, I would say I would predict about twenty per hour. Also with an iPhone or a commercial. I'm not going to promoad an iPhone, but if you take a cell phone, you're going to have to run that thing for at least an hour to an hour and a half on a stationary tripod and just let it run NonStop, and you'll see those streaks coming across the sky.
Speaker 2: So even on you. You set up a trifile. If that's what you have and that's what you want to use, you let it run in. You do a video going what like a slow mode video or just a regular.
Speaker 3: Well you could even do a slow video, or you can do a fast video. But the most important thing, I would think the slow would be better than the fast, because what you're trying to do is capture these things as they streak across the sky. And they do it, they go rapidly across the sky. You'll be surprised when you see them coming from a central point in the sky, coming out of that constellation, emanating and sort of like in three hundred and sixty degrees all around you.
Speaker 2: Now and now you just raise something else and I'll let you go after this. But you say, okay, they're coming out of the constellation. Yes, Explain how these media showers happening. Are they happening all the time or is this just something? Why does this happen on? It happens regularly so you can predict it. But it doesn't happen every night.
Speaker 3: Well, you do get meteors every night. In fact, you get about forty eight tons of meteor debris every day because obviously during the daytime I can't see the meteors. But the truth be told about this stuff is that one meteor showers occur because they are the remnants of the tale of a comet. As comets go around the Sun, the radiation from the Sun as well as the gravitational pull of the Sun will rip some of the particles from the central part of the comet, which is what we refer to as a dirty snowball, and that debris goes in orbit around the Earth. So every August we come around and we go into this field, this debris field which gem okay, and those particles are not very big, James at all.
Speaker 4: Well, how big are they?
Speaker 3: Well, they're like grains of sand. But the problem is that a movie at a speed of it when they hit our atmosphere, it's about thirty seven miles per second, or about one hundred and thirty three thousand miles per hour. And because they're moving so fast, they burn up in the Earth's atmosphere. The friction in the atmosphere causes them to be overheated and then they vaporize, and that's why we see aka shooting stars emanating across the sky.
Speaker 2: You said, these things in some cases no bigger than a grain of sand.
Speaker 3: Correct, exactly, So they're not very big at all. WHOA, Now, if we have one the size of a golf well, you certainly would see it, and they would be visible over several Northeastern states, which we call a bull led, a very large thing. It looks like a missile traveling across the sky. But most of them, most of them. When you go out on any night, clear night and you look up and you see a meteor, it's not very big at all. It's just a tiny greened of sand.
Speaker 4: That is incredible.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Where can people reach you?
Speaker 2: We have to get get, get, get get, get to get in so we can get in our clip of the day.
Speaker 4: But where can people reach.
Speaker 3: You, Gary, Well, you can reach me at very easy Space Observatory at aol dot com.
Speaker 2: Space Observatory at aol dot com. If you have any questions, and you and I are going to be talking further. Thank you so much for joining us head to the sky tonight, folks. This would be a good night to see the annual media shower. So thank you so much. Gary, appreciate you, Thank.
Speaker 3: You very much. James Clear, Sky Clear.
Speaker 2: Skies to you, my friend James Golden snared Lee. Now I learned so much. I did not know that. I thought meteors were like media showers, Roy. You know, big rocks size of a grain of a sand, and we can see it from down here on Earth as it flies by. Isn't creation amazing? God's creation?
Speaker 1: The Rush Hour with James Golden entertaining and informative on the Red Apple Podcast Network.