Speaker 1: Welcome to Destiny.
Speaker 2: Now here's your host, Cliff Dunning. All right, we're into February already, my friends. Yeah, I mean it's like blink of an eye, January is gone. It's really for me and I live in San Francisco, so we're a multi racial area, San Francisco Bay Area, and so I'd really like to follow the Chinese New Year. It just feels more natural because Christmas just is such a blistering you know, it's like get the gifts, go and meet people, celebrate, drink too much alcohol, eat too much sugar. It takes time to recover, really takes time to recover. So Tuesday, February seventeenth is the Chinese New Year. It's the fire Horse. Go look it up, Go do a search for a Chinese astrology, and one thing you'll find is it's much more accurate. And I don't know it's because they used the constellations or rather than just the planets, or they've been doing it for a lot longer than these Western astrology. I just have more. I have more. I just like it. It seems to be more in line with my lifestyle. And so New Year's is in February for me I get two New Years. I get January first of twenty twenty six, and then I get February Tuesday, February seventeenth. And we have a large community, so there's a couple of different parades. You know. I used to love it as a kid because that's when they would light off what I thought were illegal fireworks, but they allow them. They allow the parade audience as well as the participants with the floats and everything to shoot off fireworks. So it's gonna be happy New Year's. Also, I'll let everybody know Happy New Year's on the seventeenth. But that's kind of my New Year's. And so I'm like kind of dragging around January with so fast I was recovering. I want to sleep late. I want I mean, the thing goes down early still, you know, so I'm not getting out enough. I mean, who is If it's really if you live in an area that's really cold, you don't want to go out. That's where you go to your gym. I'm lucky. I have a treadmill and waits at home, so I can do my thing at the house. And it's important. It's important to stay active, it really is. So hey, this is Cliff your host of Destiny And I hope you caught John Stewart Reid's program on Earth Ancients, because I have been getting just day lose by emails. One need to know more about this guy and his research on the acoustics inside the Great Pyramid where not only with a revelatory, but if he had a chance, if you didn't have a chance, go to Android or go to your Apple store, download the Semoscope app, because he is he's invented this thing. It's twelve bucks, I think, and you put it on your you put it on your phone and it creates visual compositions for sound, so you see the sound, including your voice. You can actually see what your voice looks like. Or perhaps there's a piece of music that you really like, play the first minute or two and see what happens. It's really very, very cool. And what he's trying to show is is that these are sonic patterns that can provide various states of awareness, consciousness, which is kind of the same thing, and in some cases healing. And we all need to be have some regular healing because we're bombarded by the TV or bombarded by the Wi Fi, our internet and our phones, and I think the phones have gotten out of hand. I think people are relying on them too much. I was in Berkeley this weekend and I was close to UC Berkeley off of telegram or telegraph, and everybody was headed down on their phones and they barely bumped into the various buildings and other people. It's really, it's really quite amazing to see. I mean, if I'm walking on a street, I'm not gonna be pulling my hand at my phone out every damn second. I'm gonna look at it and then keep going. You know, I'm looking at it to figure out where I'm going, looking at it to perhaps answer the phone or text somebody real quickly. But god damn it, it's like it's addicting, and I can see why people carry it around a lot. So But anyhow, the acoustic physicist John Stewart Reid was amazing. The show went viral. We're about to launch it on the YouTube channel. If you don't watch YouTube, start watching it because we have both a Destiny channel. Go to YouTube, go to Destiny, and we have Earth Ancients and Earth Ancients of course being around much longer. We're celebrating our eleventh year those programs are very insightful, and this interview with John Stewart Reid shows you not only his studio, but gives you a little more insight into the equipment he's developed from this one event where he went into the Great Pyramid and using certain sound frequencies, discovered not only the interior was designed in a specific way, but when they used these frequencies, these hieroglyphics came up on this PVC plastic film. And then the big news, and if you got to hear this interview, if you haven't, the big news is he went in there with probably either a herniated disk in his lower back or a fairly significant injury, where leading up to the time he was in the Pyramid, he was taking aspirin, and when he was doing these experiments in the King's chamber, he started feeling a good deal of relief. And if you listen to the interview, the relief was perceived to be temporary, but when he left, he was healed, his back didn't hurt anymore, and it was so so much of a profound experience that he quit his job and he developed a company based on this what he calls semantics. And if you go to and if you go to his website, John Stuart Reed sematic scope. The sematic scope invention has changed sound perception forever. You can actually see the aspects of sound, and apparently, according to him, when you see these sounds, it's also doing something to the brain, which does something to the body, which does something to do your frequency. So check it out. It was last Saturday's program, and it was a good one, a very special one that people are raving about. Today's program is on childhood trauma, and a lot of us have had childhood trauma. A lot of us have had difficult family life I had. I was the oldest of five brothers, and so my poor mother was not up to the task. So my dad got a housekeeper kind of cleaned things up. But a lot of parents don't know what the hell they're doing, and they don't know how to parent. My parents didn't know how to parent, and I used to tell my friends, you know, if it wasn't for my grandfather, who was a huge influence on my life, I don't know what the hell I would have done. I would have been a whild wild man. But I had a very difficult childhood and I later found out that a lot of my friends had dysfunctional childhoods too. But I encourage trauma and I went to therapists a couple of different times. But I think what we'll hear about today is the fact that we need to be more focused on these wounds, these trauma, traumatic experience that we've had as children, because it's really affecting us as an adult. And my guest today has made a significant inroad to understanding childhood trauma. And we're going to learn today just how we can resolve it, but also identify it, which is the biggest issue. So today's program is greater than gravity, how childhood trauma is pulling down humanity. And my guest is Mike old j menard Hey. The rise of scamming by AI to mimic the voices of friends and family and to trick victims into sending their money is growing. These imposter scams rely entirely on the voice data they can find online. There's an important solution to this problem, and it's offered by a company called Incogny. The Incognitiate software will protect your data and make sure that your information is not getting into the wrong hands. You don't want that you don't want anyone to have access to your data you're banking that could be getting out there and put in the wrong hands. Incognate is offering a new program for those who are concerned about artificial intelligence. Use the code Earth Agents at incogniti dot com Forward slash Earth Agents to get an exclusive sixty percent off an annual incognitiplan. Keep your data private. You don't want anyone looking at your material and Incogniti can protect it and keep you safe. To start the special program, go to in Cogniti dot com Forward slash Earth Ancients. That's I n CEO g n I dot com. Forward slash Earth Ancients.
Speaker 1: Lard is an accident. Ratigang rativang for no brambasts nobody.
Speaker 2: They can't leave.
Speaker 1: Blame the coward as an action down Black at flin Black at Phil.
Speaker 2: Has always happened. We talk about adult trauma quite a bit here on the podcast, but there is, according to my guest today, a growing awareness of childhood trauma and it's not being well attended to according to the statistics. My guest today is Michael Minard. He has written a book called Greater Than Gravity. How Childhood Trauma is pulling down humanity. And he has some starling demographics and facts that are I didn't have a clue about, and so we're going to learn a little bit a bit about it today. He is an inventor, he is a former executive, and he's an author of a number of books that I have found quite interesting. So, hey, Michael, welcome to Destiny. Great to have you on the program.
Speaker 3: Thanky to be here. Thank you talk about this book?
Speaker 2: Would you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: This is and I have to tell my listening audience is over three hundred pages. He gets into every aspect of childhood trauma. What brought this up? You talk about your own childhood? Was it?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you. I'll give you the short version of the journey. So I'm seventy five. I grew up with thirteen siblings, so fourteen of us, ten boys, four girls, and a nine hundred square foot home. We were below the poverty line. And I realized only when I wrote my memoir about four years ago, that what I and my siblings had experienced was complex childhood trauma. And I just thought I had her interesting but tough childhood. I also lost two brothers to heroin. I just thought that was I just marked that up to bad choices, you know, bad just bad choices in life. But when I dug into writing this memoir, I sought opinions of some Because I'm an inventor myself, I get an audience very quickly with authors, and I assembled a group of PhDs in Childhood Trauma and Recovery and unpacked this my childhood and I wrote this book, my memoir about my childhood, and I was very open about my survival and my siblings and how some of us crumbled and some of us didn't. And there was an outpouring from the from social media, from readers. I just thought the book would sell a couple of copies to my family, but for some reason, it organically started a spark and the world was breaking my door down, asking for more information, primarily asking for sufferers to help with advice on their own challenges in life. And I thought, what's going on? So I went under water for about two years and did kind of investigative reporting of what is this thing? How big is and what I found? I connected dots. I have consumed about three hundred and fifty peer research reports, about seventy books, one thousand interviews, with professionals and sufferers and connected some dots and greater than gravity is kind of hitting the alarm button. And I'm not being dramatic when I say it's how it's pulling down humanity. And so I wrote what I learned, and it's going to be launched March nineteenth, and let me just let me give you some headlines of how it's pulling down humanity so we can get into the definition. We can talk about that. But what I found is that there's one hundred and eighty million adults, so seventy percent of adults have experienced some form of what we would call classical childhood trauma, neglect, abuse, dysfunctional home. There's ten of those. They're called aces. Adverse childhood experience is not well known, not well known, but if you've had four or more of those, you are you're screwed. Basically unless you get resolution and healing. And trauma travels through the nervous system as a child. It affects the nervous system, the hormonal system, brain development. And of those one hundred and eighty million adults, they're at risk. And if you've had six or more of these ten and by the way, I had, I've had six. You will die twenty years too soon. Not maybe you will die twenty years too soon on average. So it's playing out in my family. And I found and it's published in the book, that it is the number one cause of death in America, more than cancer, more than more than heart disease, more than stroke. It's the number one cause of addiction. Nine percent of all addicts have four or more of these aces a direct connection. It's the number one cause of SUGA side and the number one cause of incarceration. So what we see as problems opioid direct problem, no, their childhood trauma problems. And we've normalized it and there's a seventy percent prevalence and it's getting worse. In nineteen ninety eight, it was sixty three percent. Five years ago it was seventy percent. And this is based on massive research. Report just came out today that it's moved up to seventy six percent of all high school seniors have had some form. And it's actually a virus in your body, and it causes all kinds of social ills. It's costing America fourteen trillion dollars a year, and the cost of dealing with childhood trauma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read that. I was blown away by that huge number. What's the difference between childhood trauma and adult trauma. I mean, they're kind of the same, aren't they.
Speaker 3: In other words, are not they are not they are on the surface, they're the same. It's a disruption, it's something that should not have happened, and it's something that hurts. But here's the difference. If it happens before age eighteen, everything changes in the makeup of the of that person. So the first thing that happens is their their thermostat for cortisol, which is I guess run away from the bear. It gets stuck on open because they their mind and body is wired for survival, not for growth and love. So it changes the architecture of their brain. It changes their decision making, their pleasure centers their cravings. You know, when a kid has problems, he doesn't crave kale. He craves ice cream and chips and candy bars. So that's where all this it starts. It starts, and it changes the immune system, the horm modal system, and the brain structure. That does not happen in general with adult trauma. Adult trauma can typically be connected with PDSD. It's usually an event or it could be a horrible relationship of spousal trauma. But it doesn't change your biology. It changes your psyche and your well being, but it does not change your physiology in general. So that's the difference between childhood trauma which creates pathways for decades of destruction, where adults can usually recover from it quicker. That's the biggest difference.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get that. Now. One of the things that you you highlight in the book is that this is not just the United States, this is worldwide.
Speaker 3: Yes, we don't have I don't have access to as much data for the for the world. What I can tell you is it is a global epidemic. And that number one hundred and eighty million adults in America translates to about three point eight billion people in the world.
Speaker 2: It's huge. Let's focus on the United States in America because that's where most of your research is. Is it something about our Western culture that highlights this trauma? In other words, is it how we raise our kids? Is it our society as a whole? Talk about if you can the fund the foundation for this problem.
Speaker 3: I think you know we if we look at evolution and we look at how we were made and how we developed over you know, the last five five million years. We grew up in tribes, We grew up holding our young, we grew up with the support system, We grew up with people with being seen. Now fast forward to today's society. We neglect our children two jobs. You know, after school programs. Parents are home, they're exhausted. We've fallen upon some horrible myths like don't hold your child too much, it will spoil them and is based on the data now we have, it is so wrong. So we have evolved. Our society has evolved to a place where making childhood trauma worse. And in America specifically, we are like a factory for trauma. We are we are setting up ourselves to perpetuate and to increase trauma giving.
Speaker 2: Because we're like being as good as the Joneses kind of attitude and having to be one up and always working hard to have the the best car, the nicest home. That kind of stress.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and it's it. It translates into neglect. And we don't think of ourselves as as blackible parents. But if particularly in the first couple, of years. If we are not fully attentive, if that child doesn't see a warm, regular carecake, caretaker's face, that is rested, that it tends to food, love, skin to skin, developed sideways. We develop for survival and that to our children. So that's part of the other part is our you know, we have an incarceration pathway where if a adult, a parent gets put in jail, it totally disrupts the home from a support point of view, fatherless homes, pain, shame, destruction, and if you are a child in the home of someone who's incarcerated, you have an eighty seven percent probability that you will be in the prison system before you are twenty five years old. It's pathway, it's an engine. It's an engine, and so we keep it going and we you know, we have generational trauma, but in the United States, many of our policies just breed it. If you think about the worst of the worst, that is foster children. There's about five hundred thousand foster children in the United States. If you if you're placed in a in a foster care or an orphanage or a holding tank for date, you you have on average already six of those aces. So child going into the into the system is already broken. They're already broken. And yet the parents who are receiving the child, hopefully because of love and care, they have no idea of how to raise a child with that with those with those wounds, so they don't understand the neurobiology. We give them a we give them a two hour course, and we say a prayer, and we become foster parents, and we get overwhelmed because we don't know how to handle the child, so we give the child back fifty percent of the time we give the child back. What does that do? It re traumatizes the child. It says I'm worthless. It's says nobody loves me. But yet, if we trained foster parents, if we certified foster parents and the understanding and the neurobiology of a suffering child, we're going to help heal, not re traumatize. When a person when a person who's suffering from this goes to their church and asks for help, what did they do well, they say, well, we'll pray for you, or you have to have more faith, and they're rea traumatizing that person because they need healing and the church doesn't know how to heal all the church doesn't shame them further, and they walk away broken because they didn't receive the healing or the peace they expect. So we are we've created this machine in our country to not just you know, we talk about being trauma informed. That's just that's those are such hollow words. Inform means we know it exists. In my book, I make a at the end, I talk about the solution, and the solution in my mind is that we must become trauma responsive is very different than trauma informed, and we need to educate our teachers, our social workers, our therapists, our ministers, and our priests. They have no idea and it's not out of malice, it's out of ignorance. So we need to wake up. The purpose of the book is a wake up call to say, you know, if you're not feeling right, if you're not thriving, it could be because of the childhoody experience. And I'm not trying to dig up bones or blame parents. It's not about that at all. It's just a reality that seven out of ten people have experienced some form of childhood trauma that has altered your psyche, altered your physiology and will affect you in years, you know, in decades, in relationships and job performance. I've in the book it shows that corporations in America, the top two thousand corporations in America are losing two trillion dollars a year and lost productivity because of this, because of addictions, suicide, depression forty four percent of all depression in the United States. Its root is in childhood trauma and everything I say, you know, I want you to prove me wrong. But there's one hundred and thirty references in the back of the book that proves all of this. This is not my data. This is the coming together of data that we've been that experts have been talking to themselves about it for thirty years. We need to talk to each other. We need to talk to the world about it. Not just one psychiatrist to another or treating patient at a time. It's a it's a crisis.
Speaker 2: Would you say this is a generational issue where you know, I mean, my parents came out of the war Second World War, and I know for a fact that my father was terribly traumatized in the navy. He was blown off to destroyers, and I don't know if they were able to recover. I don't think he recovered. They didn't think about psychotherapy back then. So is this something that is an evolution that you're talking about. Is it the worst phase of it right now or is it our parents and their parents' parents and so forth and so forth.
Speaker 3: I think I think there's a couple of aspects to that. One is just simply generational trauma. So my father sounds like our fathers were at the same place at the same time. He was in the Navy, he was in World War Two, and he came back. He started out with a bunch of childhood trauma. His father beat him, his father was an alcoholic, but he came back from the war different. This is what I hear. Yeah, people forgot the healing. These people never got the healing, so they take it out in bad parenting. And so my generation, our generation, you know, I grew up in the fifties and the sixties. We had tough ass fathers, and part it's not all bad because you know, we grew up with grit and resilience, but because they didn't get their healing, we we we are the victims. And until you stand up and say it stops with me. So I said that with five daughters, I said, it stops with me, and I had the foresight to make that decision. And so my children have no trauma. But there's two aspects. One is generational, it's environmental. The other is it actually lives at our DNA. It's called epigenics, right, that in print on our DNA, so that if you have a history of abuse, you're likely to be abuser. It's in our genes and there's ways of reversing that through intervention. We are adaptable, we can heal. That's the good news. The good news is there's a promise of healing. It's not a life sentence that if you have this and you're experiencing all of these disabilities and disorders that you read in my book, there's a pathway forward. And that's what we pick up the world too. And a lot of it has to do with self care. As an example, the diet of our children. I mean, if you're a traumatized child, the cortisol is going to destroy mitochondria in your cells in your brain. Poor diet continues that destruction. Lack of sleep creates more quartersol, which kills more so it's a downward spiral, and then we say, oh, we need something to take the edge off before we go to sleep, and then we be addicted to the comfort. Not for getting high, but it's medication. It's medication trying to we're trying to heal ourselves in the wrong way.
Speaker 2: Do you see the results of this trauma in today's adults. Do you see a society that is on a downward spiral because they are not functioning to the level that they.
Speaker 3: Could absolutely talk about absolutely so for I don't know, I get these ideas what I'm meant when I'm doing the research, and I started to have this visualization of if you had a magic spectrum or a spectrum that we could agree upon. Think of the number line. On the left hand side, it's a negative ten, and on the positive side it's a plus ten in the middle of zero neutral. I've actually created that wellness scale, and I've given a number. I've given a definition to every number. It's not perfect, but I'm a by trade, I'm a decision scientist, and I've written books on the subject of decision making and using multiple variables to come to a conclusion. When you don't have accurate data. So I created this thing and then I started asking everyone I've talked to, and I'm gonna ask you. I'm gonna put you on the spot. You can't see it.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we'll return shortly with my guest today, Michael Minard, discussing his new book Greater Than Gravity, will be right back. I guess today's author, Michael Minard. He has done a great deal of research on childhood trauma, not only in the United States but globally, and this is something that is affecting our culture in a significant manner.
Speaker 3: But where do you think society is on the spectrum? And zero is numb, no pain, no happiness. Negative ten is suicidal, you don't want to live? Thriving is I'm the very best I could ever be? Yeah, very best I could ever be. So let me put you on the spot and ask where you want are on that spectrum, just roughly so we can start the conversation, and then I'll talk about what the averages of six hundred people I've pulled.
Speaker 2: You mean me personally or my perception of our society.
Speaker 3: You personally, you personally. I mean, you're on You're you're an expert on thriving, right, Well, I have.
Speaker 2: I've reinvented myself about five different times. And I've done that because I am kind of a I'm a trained artist, but I'm also a business marketing person, so I know it needs to be done to stay thriving in a business. But I'm fairly happy. I'm not happy with our country though, And this is what's upsetting to me, is that I think we're at a crossroads, especially with our current government. I think that to allow what's happening to persist means that there's a lot of unhappy people that surround me.
Speaker 3: I'm going to resist. It's difficult for me. I'm going to resist engaging in that discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear you. That's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna because I have very strong points of view on and I'm sure you do too, and i'm sure the listeners. I don't want to alienate anyone, but your point is valid. There are lots of miserable people, and they're on both They're on both extremes of that spectrum. Right, they're on both spectrums. But let me, you're trying to wease a lot of giving me a number.
Speaker 2: What's your number of satisfaction?
Speaker 3: Ten positive? Ten is thriving the best you could be as a human. Zero is you're just numb. You're not no pain. Okay, so I say seven, that's awesome, that's awesome. The average of six hundred and thirty people that I've asked now, the average score is two.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: If you think, if you think about seventy percent, if you think about seventy percent of the world of the United States have experienced some form of childhood and trauma, You're going to think there's a whole bunch of us that are down at that, you know, down at that, down on the negative numbers. And what we got to do first is heal and come to zero, and then we have to thrive. Right, So we got to get rid of the pain. And we are a society filled with unhappiness and pain. So from this research, I see every person differently. I have because of my because of this simple education, I have empathy for everyone. I was in I was at a at a subway waiting to get a sandwich, and there was a gentleman who had just lost his mind, I mean just he was so mad and and normally I would say, hey, dude, get the hell out of here. You know, I don't want to hear this crap dead. I went up and said, hey, friend, man, you really seem agitated. How can I help? How can I help? And he says, I'm just trying to get a sandwich for five dollars. I have five dollars and there's no sandwich that I can get, even a half a sandwich for five dollars. I said, I tell you what, let me let me buy lunch for you. You have any sandwich you want, and then let's sit and talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he said, really, how about a cookie too? I said, a cookie too?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he sat down heard his story. He'd been almost for twenty years living in his car. He just got diagnosed with stage four colon cancer, and a week ago he tried to hang himself and he had big, big stitches on his neck and he was going to die in about six weeks. And we dismissed people like that as just being mean angry. No, no, we're not born mean or angry. We all are suffering and we need. You know, there's this thing about attachment at at childhood, at birth, that's very important. But we need attachment life long. We need it as adults. I needed it at seventy five. I need human connection, and we are losing it. And now we're dividing each other, and we're making half of the country our enemy because of our because of our friggin political views, and we see each other as enemies. I have a relative who I love, and she just posted if any of you voted for Trump, I am no longer your friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have friends like that too.
Speaker 3: Think of that, Think of that insanity, Think of that hate. Think of what that does to their day, right, and they've just lost. She's telling me, you know, if I voted, I'm saying I did or not, But if I was the one who voted for Trump, she doesn't want anything to do with me to ka because I'm her enemy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, horrible. It's very difficult.
Speaker 3: So I'm babbling a bit, but I think it's all it's all accelerating in the wrong way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does community step up in this situation? Because as we progress as a society, the resources appear to be dwindling. Of course, you know, if you're in a really bad state, you can check yourself into a psych ward, but nobody does that anymore. And the other thing related to the community's ability to support their citizens is that a lot of people, not only in my generation, but in earlier and later generations, find that going to a psychologist is a of weakness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff there. First of all, Yeah, we have to take that stigma away. We have to we have to take the mental health you know, seeking mental health healing. We have to take that stigma away because if we don't, we're never going to heal. That's number one. Number two, I'm extremely critical of the mental health field. I have found that after twenty years and twenty billion dollars invested by the National Institute of Mental Health, we have made and they admit it, zero progress on mental health healing. So we don't We're focused on the smoke, not the fire. We're focused on symptoms, not the cause. And my research shows that ninety five percent of all licensed therapists have no education on the neurobiology of a suffering child. They don't know, they didn't learn about it. They might have. I know more now as an engineer than ninety five percent of all psychiatrists and psychologists. They don't get it in school. Social workers don't get it in school. Teachers don't get it in school. Counselors don't get it in school. They learn cognitive behavior therapy that will not heal childhood trauma wounds. So yeah, we need to open it up, but we also need to educate our healers to what we're actually suffering from because they don't know.
Speaker 2: And when you say neurobiology, are you suggesting that there are signs that someone is suffering with trauma and there's a questions or physical manifestations that they should be looking at.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing is that you have to if you're thinking of it yourself as an individual or a loved one, you have to think about their their well being, their happiness, and usually what comes up our disorders, disorders, anger, anger, eating, alcoholism, those are you know, you can some are diseases, some are disorders. But it's a malfunction of the human right, a malfunction of the human So what I'm saying, what I'm the message I'm putting out there is that if something doesn't feel right now, this probably would not resonate with you, you being you know, a positive a positive seven. But if you're having stress in aspects of your life, you need to ask yourself why. You need to ask yourself what could be the root of that, and what is the solution? And I'm saying there's seventy seven out of ten that the answer is I had adverse childhood experiences that have affected me affected me. And before this research, I just I thought all of that was just fluff. I just thought it was just fufu. But now I believe it's everything. Not because I'm brainwashed, It's because I'm educated and I've been on a journey that I continue on and I'm launching this book Greater than Gravity, but on the solution side. In June, I'm launching a second book that is titled Bleeding in the Pews, and it's talking about how seventy percent of people in every church is suffering and the church isn't doing what it needs to do to heal. I've got another book coming out in September that is Bleeding in the Boardroom. It shows how corporations are paying for absenteeism, presenteeism, turnover that they've just normalized. And if you've had four or more of these aces, that means thirty percent of the population, you're going to be at best, you'll be at sixty percent capacity. As far as work productivity, You're going to take more days off, you're gonna have more depression, you're gonna have more conflict with your with your with your with your mates in the workplace. And we we keep putting these wellness programs in that don't do anything. They don't they're not moving the needle at all, and they're spending spending billions on it. And you talk about community, How can we support this where we're we're we're already paying for it. We're already paying fourteen trillion dollars a year and mental health bills, physical bills, addiction centers, welfare. Let's repurpose that. Let's let's let's move a little bit to healing. The data in my book shows that every one dollar, one dollar invested in healing and recovery and prevention delivers one hundred and thirty one dollar return. This is data, This is this is science, this is math. The return on investment is huge. But yet we don't know what to do. We just keep looking the other way. I don't know why. You know, there's this phenot there's this human weakness of the gap between knowing and doing. We know, but we don't do. We kind of know about it, but we turn the other way and we just continue our behavior because we don't going to close that gap between knowing and doing. And I'm trying to create a movement, trying to get people to join this movement. I want to have a day where we all wear a T shirt with with our childhood score on the back from one to ten, and we open conversations and we understand each other more and we just look at that number we add, we nod and we smile and we give a fist bust. I'm with you, I'm with you. We need to bring back you know, the greatest healer of all is I don't want to be mushy, but it's love. It's love, and we're all If you take all the tears that fall in the in the world today and put them in big vats, the vat that's going to have the biggest label on it. It's going to say unloved. That's why we're crying. We're we're not seen, we're not loved, and we're lonely. Even in the midst of this. You know this dense population. Yeah, but maybe we're just babbling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's good stuff. Uh. It seems to me that our society isn't helping very much because it's kind of like it's all about me and I don't really care about anybody else. It's it's I need to make as much money as I can. I need to be as successful as I can, And you kind of leave the others to the side as your clients, especially as a young person, you know, getting out of school, and you don't really pay attention to these subtle traumas that you've experienced as a as a you know, as a young person, and I think it just grows and grows and grows. Would you say that our mental health care system is broken or is it just not addressing the problem correctly?
Speaker 3: Well, I can, I can speak freely about it because I'm not I'm not a mental health professional, right, so there is no there is no question that it's broken. The only thing we've done, of meaning is come up with some really cool drugs to numb the problem. Drugs, drugs, pharmaceuticals, prescriptions. I mean that, do you think why do you think we have an opioid crisis? Why do you think we have an addiction crisis? Twenty million people in the United States are addicted to illegal drugs. That's not that's not even alcohol included. This is these are people that are addicted, that cannot function without it. And it's all medication, it's all healing. They think it's healing. You know, we want to stop the screams in our head, the dysfunction, so we will take a few drinks. Now we know that, you know, the third drink kind of calms everything down, and then we have to get something a little bit stronger. And then what we're doing is making everything worse. So that mitochondria that was killed in our childhood, that disabled our brain, we're making it ten times worse through the things we're putting in our bodies. It's killing moochondria, causing more sleeplessness. So I say it's totally broken. If you know, I met with I spoke at a conference of one hundred and sixty social workers. You know what social workers do, right? You know what they do? Almost everything they touch has to do with misery and trouble and just everything they do. And they're bookkeepers, they're policykeepers. They're not healers. They're not trained to be healers. They're gatekeepers. One hundred and sixty. I asked them to stand up, and I said, if you've never had a course on the neurobiology of childhood trauma, please sit down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Everyone sat down, And after that conference they lined up to talk to me. I'm an engineer, I'm an author, and they wanted to know more, where can I get the training?
Speaker 2: Where? You know?
Speaker 3: Do you know of any universities that I was talking to the head of psychology the professors that's head of psychology at a large Christian college, and I said to her, I said, you know, don't you feel a little bit guilty for not having any courses on the impact of childhood trauma? And she said, well, we do. I said, no, you don't. Says we do. Excuse me, we do? And I said, no, you don't. I talked to your dean an hour ago to verify. She said, let me call. She calls the dean, puts them on speakerphone, says, this guy tells me about She says, well, he's right, we don't have a course on it. Should we should? We? And this is a Christian college, you think they are a little bit more. But I find that the University of Texas is everywhere I talk. I try to find out. And so one university said they're going to take Greater than Gravity and turn it into a textbook and make a course out of it, so that you know, a light bulb went off. So I'm creating an online university called you Act Academy, where we're going to offer certification to all of these people. We're talking about certification for teachers, certification for therapists so that they become certified in trauma responsive care. And I'm want to make it a goal, and i want to make it so a teacher just can't even get a job unless they are trauma responsive certified. I'm not going to get it all done in my lifetime, but I'm going to start the movement, and that university is going to be up and running June of this year, so we can start educating the healers, right because they don't know. Yeah, they don't know.
Speaker 2: So we're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves and we will return shortly with my guest today, Michael J. Minard discussing his book on childhood trauma. Greater than Gravity will rejoin you shortly. My guest today is Michael J. Lenard. He has done a significant amount of research on childhood trauma in his book Greater Than Gravity, and this is a look at how it's affecting adults around the world. What are some of your wounds, Michael, talk about your own personal journey a little bit if you can, sure, uh, because because it's interesting for our listeners to understand specifics of not necessarily your failings, but of the of the physical, mental and outcomes. Right, the outcomes, Yeah, the manifestations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, it's the if you think of the the child types of childood trauma that I had, they were number one neglect. So I had no medical care. I I went hungry many times.
Speaker 2: No medical care you were injured, or just no medical checkouts as a young person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I had. I had. I had strep throat so often that it turned into at age ten, it turned into rheumatic fever, which attacked my heart and I was in the hospital for six months. And then at age sixty nine, my eertic valve closed because of reg fever. I had to have open art surgery Wow, there's a manifestation hunger. Hunger. If you go without food, you develop for survival and it forces. Well, the fancy word is food insecurity. Food insecurity, but it means I want to eat more than I need because I don't know when the next meal is going to come, and it gets so ingrained in your mind that even at this age, even with my awareness, even with all my healing, I still suffer from food in security. I will still order a pizza that's way too large for me and my family, and my wife has given up trying to talk me out of it. Another is neglect. You know, I interviewed my siblings and I just said, what do you think was the number one problem? What do you feel? And my brother Mark hit the nail on head and he says, I was invisible. I just wasn't seen. That sets off a whole bunch of dynamics. So, you know, there's this thing called the paradox of childhood trauma, and the paradox is, if you've experienced what I am my siblings experience, we're going to take one of two paths. You're going to go left, which is destruction, and you fall and collapse under the weight, or you take a right turn and you use it as rocket fuel for success, which is its own disorder. So mine was one of overachievement. I mean, you look at my resume, you look at my accomplishments. They are arm long patents, awards, credentials. I I've advised the United Nations, I've advised NASA, I've got some you know, I've transformed industries. I wanted to be seen. I suffered, and I'm realizing it now. So all those things, I just don't care about it anymore because I realize the other is I became tough as nails, so I I you know, when you have to fend for yourself, I fear no man. I can. I still size up every man that I'm that I'm in contention with, and the first thing I think of, where do I hit him first to take him out?
Speaker 2: That's a back alley mentality.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a disorder. I was. I was in a line at the TSA for going through or security in this big guy intentionally shouldered me, like get out of the way. I get and I turned around and I sized him up, and I knew what three punches I would throw to bring him right down to the ground right to knock him out. And I instead of that, I just pushed him in the chest and I said, you're not big enough. Don't try. Don't try. It's because I'm a badass. And is that productive? No, that's not productive. That's a you know, that's a you know, I joke about my disorders. I have all these world class therapists now that are working with me, and they all want to treat me. They all want to treat me. I have not been treated, they said. They they laugh and joke about it, and they want to know who's who's gonna be the one that finally gets me on the sofa.
Speaker 2: Who gets you on the mat?
Speaker 3: He's right when I say, I say, you know, I'm I'm happy. I'm a plus nine by the way, Oh my god, plus yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, congratulations. Well that's before we get into some solutions, Michael, I want to talk about the detection. So if we're thinking we're happy and everything's good in our life, what are the signs that we got problems that we need to address. Because I think that we and I'm guilty of this as well. We we we pushed through our problems. You know what, I mean, yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest tell has to be, you know, a serious conversation with yourself about your well being. To stop for a moment and think about your life, think about your happiness, think about the people around you, think about the prices you might have paid or are paying for things not going your way, and ask yourself the question, could that you know, what can I do to move up that scale of thriving because I don't I don't want to be where I'm at anymore. And there's so many people that are saying that to themselves. They just don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of a subtle depression, is that what you're suggesting?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, it's a it's a something is not right, something is not right, and that something not right is it starts with mild depression and mild anxiety. Little things that trigger you that just make you a little bit pissed off. You know, traffic jam, it's not normal. It's not normal. If you have anything that you would consider to be an addiction, and I can list them sex, love, addiction, food, alcohol, gambling, shopping, anything that you do repeatedly that you know is not good for you. Why are you doing it? Why are you doing it? Particularly overeating. You know, we don't have an obcit problem in this country. We have a childhood trauma problem.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. So if you're kind of an overeater, that could be a warning sign that you're not.
Speaker 3: You know, it's food is this thing that we turn to most often for for soothing our discomfort. And you know, you talk and joke about comfort. Food has nothing to do with hunger. It has to do with sugar is a drug, and we go for you know, we go for the carbohydrate, to go for the bad stuff. So, you know, self examination also think about, you know, your partner the as closest to you, have you ever had a conversation, honest conversation between you about your childhood. I'm hearing over and over and over again stories that people are telling me, and I'll talk to anybody who I can talk to that they haven't told their spouse. They haven't told their spouse and why, Shane, It comes down to shad. So we keep it, We keep it to ourselves because we think it's because of us, we're not enough. So, you know, have the first step in healing of any of that discomfort is making a space to talk about it with somebody you trust. I'm not talking about a therapist. I'm talking about somebody you love, a brother, a spouse, a girlfriend, you know, a boyfriend. Just and if I tell you, what if you can't have that kind of talk with the person that you're most intimate with, you need a new partner. Yeah, that's true, right, you need a new partner. And the reality is, if you take two people, any random two people together, you have a ninety one percent chance that one of them has a dysfunction. You put three people together, it's ninety seven percent. So it's affecting everyone, and it has to do with your happiness. So all of you, all of you listening and watching, just stop for a moment and think, give yourself a score, and then say, I'm want to move it up. I'll move it up. And here's all I'm going to start.
Speaker 2: Do you have portions of your book where you outline how to identify these failings, these protections that you are talking about. Yes, hide the trauma.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's in the book. It's in the back half. It's in the back of the book. You have not gotten to that yet. But it really is. It's not a diagon, it's not for a diagnosis. It just says, and this is from the experts in the world. It's not for me. It says, here's the thirty things, the most common thirty things that are a warning sign that you might be suffering.
Speaker 2: The top thirty things that are physical, mental, spiritual. Are they only physical?
Speaker 3: Therefore physical? Mental, societal and spiritual? Oh?
Speaker 2: Societal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, society. Get how are you getting along in society? Oh?
Speaker 2: I see how you integrate?
Speaker 3: Are you integrate? Are you a loner? Are you? Does everybody love you? Do you have a circle of friends? Because the sufferer, the first thing they do is is disconnect, and it makes everything worse. They disconnect from society because of the shame they think they're broken. And it's so many of us, Cliff, it's so many of us. Wow, millions, millions in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As we come to the conclusion of our time together, Michael, I want to talk a little bit about the solutions and what that means to you, because you're not a therapist. You're more of a recent search investigator, uh, and a professional person, which you can see in the book because it's it's very well written. What what are some of the suggestions that you present as solutions.
Speaker 3: Ye, So there's there's two there's two categories. The first category fall under the all under the the banner of self care things you can do with yourself, things you can do for yourself that do not require professional intervention. So they're they're they're pretty simple and for men they sound a little bit foofoo, but they're very efficacious. And in the book, there's a list of eight things that you can do for yourself, and I'll just hit on a few of them. Is first number one, be aware of what's going on in your in your body, in your mind. Don't sweep it under the carpet anymore. Be real with it. That's the first step. Second, find one person, one person that you trust that you can tell your story to once you've figured out what your story is, and get a conversation going and make room and ask for them to walk alongside you. Not to make excuses for your behavior, but you know, just have a conversation. And then there's the thing that there's three things that sound overly simplistic but have a profound ability to heal. The first is sleep. If you're sleep deprived. It's making everything worse. So find way to get eight hours of sleep eight hours on average. You know, some people need seven, some people need ten, but I think eight hours as a night's sleep, and find a way to get consistent sleep. Second is think about what you're putting in your mouth nutrition. Don't eat junk food because it's making everything worse in your biology. Focus on protein, Focus on fruits and vegetables, Stay away from all processed foods. Research that subject of nutrition. It's critical and it has to do with so many parts of your mind and your body. And the third thing of the three is find a way to get some movement on a daily basis. I'm not talking about going to the gym or running a marathon, talking about taking a walk in your backyard or your park, taking a stroll, riding a bicycle, doing something. Yeah, gym is fine too, but just like fifteen twenty minutes a day, find a way to do that because that builds mitochondria. So those three things you can do yourself, and they're in the book tips of how to do that. And then the last one of self care has to do with mindfulness. There's such power in mindfulness. Mindfulness is things like meditation, yoga, being still deep breathing for two minutes in the morning before you start your day. These things are transformative and these are all things you can do that begins the journey. Now, those are self help, and my experts say about seventy five percent of us can get our healing by doing the things I just told you. But now if it's more severe and you're suffering from things like addiction, self harm, psychosis, depression, deep depression, you need to find professional help. And in the book it talks about how to find a therapist, the kind of questions you ask a therapist, and you know it's there's stigma around it, there's a cost associated with it. This organization I founded you Act ACT. We're we're on a mission to make professional healing for for those who are suffering from childhood trauma free. So we're gonna make a super fund that takes care of that for those people. UH and you. In a year from now, you'll be able to type your zip code into our app and get a list of the people in your town that are you at qualified to treat childhood trauma.
Speaker 2: U ACT stands for United Against Childhood.
Speaker 3: Trumpa yep, yep. And the website is you ACT Now, n OW U A C T n OW Go to that website. Everything I'm telling you is on that website. We're just getting started. Click and add your name to the mailing list and you will get information every week. You will get a newsletter every week from you ACT that shares everything we're learning, everything you can do, asking you to join, telling a therapist where they can go to get certified, telling teachers where they can go to get certified. And we're gonna you know, with the launch of the book, which is really hitting the alarm button, and with people like you helping is to say, if you're not suffering, help us, help others, if you're not suffering, help us, help your spouse, your child.
Speaker 2: You know, I.
Speaker 3: Follow a group called Mothers for All Passive Recovery, and these are mothers of children who are recovering or or of children they've lost to addiction. And most of the time the addiction sprouted from childhood trauma that had nothing to do with the parents, and you know that is the So it's a whole movement of people helping other people and to get out of this this sense of tough love, and you know people have to hit the bottom. No, we have to keep addicts alive long enough to heal them. Yeah, well to pushing them over the edge. So yeah, go to go to you act.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 3: You can also go to my website Michael Jaminard dot com. It's where all of my books and my information are there. And if you want to want me to speak at your event, you can reach me there. But most of all, buy this book. Buy it, buy it for somebody else, tell somebody about it. Let's make it viral. If I can get this thing to be a best seller. It's not for fame or fortune. It starts the algorithms for the New York Times making it a best seller, for bookstores carrying it, for television stations, to book me, to talk to spread the word to millions of people, you know within an hour. So buy the book. Greater than Gravity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the book's called greater than Gravity. How child trauma is pulling down humanity? My guess today has been Michael J. Lenard, And thank you for your website information and the information in general, Michael is pretty fantastic. I think I think we're living our life without really paying attention to what the hell's going on. I think after time, which is marvel.
Speaker 3: But I did my whole life. I did my whole life. Yeah, if it hadn't been for my wife nudging me very strongly to write my memoir because she was tired of me, she was tired of hearing me talk about doing it. Yeah, she pushed me and actually drugged me to my desk and said, don't leave until you.
Speaker 2: Desk. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Credit to her. And it started this whole It started this whole journey where you know, there's a saying that each of us are responsible for the evil we are aware of and do not address. So now to you, so you have to pass it on to others and let's all shoulder this, this this load together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a YouTube channel, Michael.
Speaker 3: I think I own, but I need one. I need one. I'll sell one up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. People would love to hear you know videos, in fact, the younger generation almost exclusively. Of course, here's podcast via the YouTube channel, which is all video. So hey, thank you for joining me. Much success on this again for those of you listening, The book will not be out until March nineteenth, but I did see it the other day on Amazon, so and I think Michael, you said that you cannot pre order at this time.
Speaker 3: You cannot. You can, you can pre order the kindle version, but the printed book you're gonna have to wait. And you know, as soon as you can, go to my website and click it right wait from us and it'll it'll on March nineteenth.
Speaker 2: I can't remember your your website, is it? Michael J. Menard? Okay, well that's the easiest thing to do right now because the website is very well done and you've got a lot of good information on it. Hey, much success, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: We'll stay in touch. Thank you.
Speaker 2: He mentioned that the book's not going to be out for a while, for at least another month, and you can actually see versions of it if you go to Amazon and then good Books. But his website is excellent. Michael J. Menard, M. E.
Speaker 3: N A r D.
Speaker 2: Has all the details on just what you can expect in his presentation his book. Also, when you're on his website, check out the few videos he has. He's got some good videos where he gets into some information on just what you should be looking for as a wounded adult. And a lot of us are walking around wounded, and I mean It comes in all shapes and sizes. When I was divorced, I walked around with my guts hanging out from a good year, if not more. There's a lot of We go through a lot of trauma as adults as well. So anyhow, good subject, good talk, and a worthy book Greater than Gravity. Check it out. Hey, we're almost at the end of winter, which means it's time to think about spring, and that means that you should be thinking about getting away to Egypt. And that is one of the best places to be in the spring, not only because it's the perfect weather to see these ancient sites, but there's much much more to do when you have an it areas diversus ours. I'm talking about the seventh annual Grand Egyptian Tour that we do every year, and this one is scheduled for April twenty eight through May tenth. We all meet in Cairo. This is the place to be right now because the Cairo Museum just opened, this one billion dollar museum. You must have been hearing how frustrated I was over the years, and it's like, when is it going to be open? When? When? When? Well, it's now open, We're going to spend an entire day there that's worth the price of admission, but so much more. We're going to see ancient sites. We're going to see the Pyramids of the Sphinx. We're going to go to some of the oldest cities in Egypt. And not only do we travel in luxury, we spend time on the Nile in these luxurious boats that are just built for comfort. For all the details, all the information, go to Earth Ancients dot com forward slash tours, look at the itinerary and come out and join us. What a great way to start the new year in elegance, relaxing and really having a great trip learning about the ancient past. Earth Ancients dot Com Forward slash tours. Right, that's it for this program. I want to think my guest today Michael Menard discussing his newest book, Greater than Gravity, as always a team of guil Tour, Mark Foster and Feya Bavar. You guys rock all right, take care of you will and we will talk to you next time.
Speaker 1: Ratigang rati bang no banbas Nobody didn't leave. Blame Lard is an action dang like a flipped fell when the high disasters.
Speaker 2: Always happened to some.
Speaker 1: Come back this week in empty rooms, log it about the world un soon, i'mnfore seen and regretted. Ball Out of fall Out say it's a magerrble. Yeah, if nobody's responsible, if nobody gets away,