Speaker 1: Kf I Am six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio appf I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. I Am Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer, custom home builder, custom home Designer, inviting you to join me for the next two hours in that magical space that exists somewhere between the world as it is and the world as it should be, as we work to turn your ordinary house into an extraordinary home. It's an all calls weekend. I love these weekends. I love taking your calls, talking with you about what's going on with your home, and you know, helping out if I can.
Speaker 2: So let's do it. Let's talk to Evan. Evan welcome home.
Speaker 3: So my problem is I had a waterline break the other night in my house. It's flooded the spare bedroom and bathroom and the hallway all the way into where the dining room and living room is. It bore up the floor and so my insurance adjuster is telling me they can't match it.
Speaker 4: I won't be able to match.
Speaker 3: It, so they're going to pay to replace the entire floor, the wood floor area in the house.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And my my question to you is people are telling me to go with vinyl laminae, to go with a hard another hardwood, and I'm asking what your recommendations might be.
Speaker 1: Okay, really good question. So Evan, what was the water line that busted? Is it in the slab? Is it something overhead? Tell them give me a little more space overhead.
Speaker 2: It was overhead. It was over fine, and the joint.
Speaker 3: Failed and it was raining and that My wife woke me up but ten thirty at night and said the house is flooding. And it was just literally flooding out of the Yeah, the overhead fan, the air conditioning vent around it. It was just raining water everywhere.
Speaker 1: What a mess. I'm sorry to hear that. Okay, here's the thing. If you are if you guys wanted hardwood, if you've always wanted hardwood, if hardwood is the thing, I know your gun you're feeling gun shy because of this disaster that just happened. But if we're confident that we've addressed the problem, addressed the leak, if we're confident with the rest of the system, then you don't go back with hardwood again. I'm not a I'm not a big fan of compromising the design of a house just because we get gun shy or we're afraid as the result of an accident that has happened before. You know what I'm saying, It's kind of like it's like it's like, you know, the kids on the skateboard outside, he falls and and he broke his leg. Okay, we get it. We're riding a skateboard. That can happen. Once the leg heals, the parent who now wrap that kid up in like six layers of insulating foam on all the legs and has an oversized helmet and goggles. And you know, it's kind of like the kid who wears a helmet and goggles when they goes to chess club because the chance there's there's a chance one of those pieces could fly off the board and put an eye out.
Speaker 2: So to make that we just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just had new carpet and new wood grain ceramic tile put in the bathrooms two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so my wife's like, well, do we match the ceramic tile?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, well, the people that install it with the price is going to be like thirty.
Speaker 2: Grand to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think the wood forest then replaced bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know you the insurance is going to pay for and should pay pay out for the replacement of what you've got. So if it's hardwood, they should write you a check equivalent to redoing it all in replacing hardwood. If you want to move up to the ceramic tile. From a design perspective, that kind of you know, kills two birds with one stone in that a ceramic plank floor is going to be bomb proof throughout the whole house and continuous flooring so that there's no change in between the house proper and the bathrooms. But again that isn't a necessity. So yeah, if you put in luxury vinyl plank, that's what we're talking about. If you put in luxury vinyl plank, yeah, it is now a waterproof and bomb proof throughout the whole house. And if there was another accident, then the it's not going to ruin a luxury vinyl plank floor. However, luxury vinyl plank is not the same as real hardwood. It is an emulation of hardwood. It's really good looking stuff. It's also way cheaper than hardwood. So I think you guys just have to sit down and make a decision of both financially and design wise, which way you want to go with this. I can't really push you one direction or the other because there's no right answer to it. The fact of the matter is, if we were always afraid that a pipe would burst in any house, we'd never put hardwood in any house ever, right because it's moisture sensitive and there's just no way around that right now. We don't have the technology to get around that right now. So I want you to have confidence in your plumbing system. I want your plumbing system rechecked, okay, especially if it's a peck system. Those joints should not be failing. So if you're confident that, okay, the plumbing issue has been resolved, then I know, you know it's always natural to feel gunshy after a big blow, but you know, why not put hardwood back? If hardwood is what you really want. Luxury vinyl plank is great. So just to be clear, the insurance company should is obligated to replace everything at the cost of the hardwood. If you want to turn around, then and do the luxury vinyl plank and save yourself some money as you go. Great or take the payout for the hardwood, and then throw a little extra of yours in and go porcelain plank everywhere. That's a good way too. Both of those choices would be bomb proof, and the hardwood choice gets you back to where you would go. So those are really your three options, and it's ultimately a design decision for you and your wife to work out. Just try to avoid feeling gun shy because you just had this disaster. I know that's a hard thing to do, but do your best with it. Evan, thanks for the call, buddy. I love our listeners questions. They stretch my brain. How about some more of your calls when we return. You are listening to Home Sharp, the house whisper y if I being sharp, the house whisper at your service, Welcome home. We are doing an all calls weekend, So let's go back to the phone, shall we.
Speaker 2: Carol, Hey, Carol, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Hi, thank you. I'm growing a dragon fruit and I'm making a dragonfruit trellis. I'm using a four by four redwood post attached to a concrete block post support that has a zinc coated strap. I'm going to place that into a twenty five gallon hard plastic nursery grade pot fill it with soil. And the reason I'm using this trellis is for stability because they get kind of heavy at the top. My question is will the strap or the concrete leach harmful chemicals into the soil, which we'll go into the roots then eventually into the fruit.
Speaker 2: Uh no, no, it won't.
Speaker 4: Wonderful.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's all I wanted to thank.
Speaker 3: You very so easy.
Speaker 2: That was so easy.
Speaker 4: You made my day.
Speaker 5: Thanks Carol, Thank you, enjoy your show, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, Thank you so much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, you know, concrete is concrete. There are a lot of different forms of concrete. Concrete is a combination of an aggregate sand of different sizes, sand, gravel, and cement portland cement most of the time, Uh, it is. It is not a material that it leaches out harmful things to a garden. Somebody else asked about cinder blocks too, and cinder blocks are also cinder blocks are different than standard concrete.
Speaker 2: By the way. Uh did you guys know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you probably you can tell right when you take a look at a cinder block, it's made out of concrete, but it's a combination of concrete and fly ash. What is fly ash? It's the leftover ash from burning coal. Yeah, cinders, That's where the cinder in cinder block comes from. Cinders of burnt coal. Carbonized coal ash gets added into a cement concrete mixture, and because the cinders are so lightweight and they take up space, the cinder block ends up being considerably lighter than it would be if it was just a pure poored cement block. Also, though it's not as strong, but you know, it does its job. So there you go. But none of those things are dangerous to the soil around them.
Speaker 2: My goodness, how does he know these things? Let's talk to Debbie. Hey, Debbie, welcome home.
Speaker 6: Many years ago law new house. It had a spa that had to be taken out because I had a crack at it, and I installed one in place of it, but never had it connected. And now that I want to do it, the fellows said, well, it's indoors. You can't hook it up inside. You've got to move it outdoors and take you six thousand dollars. So I really wasn't too happy about that because I thought, well, the heck with that thing costs a little more than that. But you know, you know, it has two seats, and you know the jets whatever all they come with, so maybe they won't stuff you, but it stumps me, and I hate to part with six thousand dollars for something that costs just a little more than that.
Speaker 1: I got you, all right, so let me ask you, so is this a Is this a free standing spa like a fiberglass spa sitting on its own platform and all that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes it is.
Speaker 6: It's on wheels or whatever. I don't know what it's on, but anyway, it's movable. You know, it's a thermal spa. That helps Benny.
Speaker 1: Right now, Why does he Why did he tell you it was going to cost you six thousand dollars to move it outside?
Speaker 6: Well he said it couldn't be hooked up indoors and it's uh, it needs to be at two thirty stamps.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, but it needs it needs two and twenty two hundred and forty. Actually we call two twenty, but it's actually two forty. It needs a two forty hookup power hook up.
Speaker 2: All right, that's understandable. But here's the thing with code. Okay, yeah, that's in code.
Speaker 1: When so convenient I Okay, So here's what I'm gonna recommend to you. I want you to call somebody else. Okay, Now there's a half truth here. Okay, the half truth is, yeah, it is a mess. By the way, Never, never, never, should they have had that spa indoors.
Speaker 2: It just shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: And there's a reason why we don't want you to put a spa like that indoor. You think about this like an indoor spa at like a health club or a gym. Okay, these are built in by allowance with like an indoor pool. But to build an indoor and I've done my share of indoor pools and spas, by the way, because I've had some clients who have been super happy to pay for them. But the structure that you have to build around that in terms of airflow of ventilation to get the chlorine gases that seep out of these bodies of water a pool and a spa. Also the heat, the mist, the humidity that builds up as the ring. There's just there's a whole lot of things that go into it, and it is almost always all well, it's always a mistake to just pull one of those spaws into the house, even if it's outside on an enclosed porch or whatever. So now that doesn't mean it has to sit out there cold and naked in the rain. You could have a structure over it or around it, but it can't be part of the interior structure of the house. You're just asking for all sorts of problems. So that part, my friend, is true. The part that isn't true is that it's just automatically going to cost you six thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: If this is a free standing spa, it was designed to sit outside, okay, because they aren't designed to sit inside. So it is sitting in its own little weather structure. If you put a nice foam cover on it probably has one that's a weather proof cover. You can add to the weather proofness of this spa by adding a more elaborate cover, like the kind of cover that you would put over your car that you park outside. You can get a really, really nice cover for it. It needs something to sit on out in the yard. It can sit on the patio, sit on the patio concrete. It doesn't need a big elaborate foundation underneath it, just something stable. It could sit on pressure treated six by six square of lumber. It could sit on a nice stable area of gravel. And as far as electricity is concerned, I would be hard pressed to imagine somehow that it's going to cost six thousand dollars to run two hundred and forty volt electricity to your SPA panel, regardless of where you put it in your house. So the point is this, Yes, it needs to go outside, and when it comes to how much is that going to cost, who's going to do it and where are you gonna put it? You need to make a few more calls. So the fella who was advising you on it, that's all well and good. Maybe he wasn't trying to maybe that was his best estimation of it, but uh, you should call a couple of other contractors, have them come out, get at least three estimates for this debbie, so that you know what it's really really going to cost you, because six thousand is a lot of money just to run one electrical line out there. I don't care if there's nothing magical about it being two forty versus one twenty. Okay, it's just you know, maybe a location's tricky. Maybe it is, but I'd be shocked if moving it outside is going to cost you six thousand dollars. So get more estimates from more reputable contractors, and then you'll know you'll see a concessant consensus starting to form among the numbers. You'll also get some good advice along the way. So that's where you go with it, all right, my friends, when we return more of your calls, your Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You are Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper. That's me and you know what we're doing. We are taking your calls, whether it's a DIY question, construction issue, a design question. I love design questions, so anyway, so why don't we just dive back in.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave, welcome home.
Speaker 4: My family lives in the thirty five hundred square foot, two story single family house in Orange County of bill Lyon Home and we a year ten years ago, I spent about fifty thousand upgrading the back put in, starring a hard roof, tile floor, granite countertops, in an outdoor kitchen with three different barbecues and sinks, and our kitchen needs a similar upgrade. We have hardwood cabinets that we like.
Speaker 2: They're oaked.
Speaker 4: We love wood. We have it's a nineteen sixty nine at home if I didn't mention that, and it's got tile countertops, and we put in a new tile on the floor when we redid the patio, but the floor is chipping. The tile was substandard. We need new flooring. We want to replace our countertops. We want to keep the oak cabinetry, and we like wood so much that we'd like to go hardwood countertops. So we'd like your recommendation there.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I got you.
Speaker 1: Well, good on you and for you know, being bold and wanting to do some cool stuff. So here is the thing for just as a general recommendation, and I'll get back to this in a second. I have no issues whatsoever with hardwood countertops, none, zero issues. I know people all over southern California are like, oh, we would never do that. That's fine, then don't do it. But I'm just telling you, as somebody who's been building homes and designing homes for you know, almost forty years now, hardwood is a brilliant countertop. People are like, well, that will never last up to you know, spillage and moisture. And it's like, well, if you've ever been on a boat that has a galley in it, I guarantee you this one thing. The countertop on that galley is hardwood. If you've ever gone into a pub and sat at a bar, the bar is hardwood. So yeah, the idea that wood doesn't hold up to abuse and or moisture is a myth. Now you got to do it right, okay, So but there you go. There's my feeling about hardwood countertops, even so much so that Tina and I half of the counters half of them in our kitchen.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The specifically, the counter that the sink is in is a two inch thick walnut, black walnut, and it just oiled, not finished with polyurethane or anything, just oiled with mineral oil. And it's years old now, and it years and years old now and it looks like brand new and all we have to do is just reoil it and gaboom. So anyway, now the trick for you, Dave is going to be this you've got you're thinking about putting hardwood floors in the kitchen, you've got oak cabinets, and you're thinking about wood. Now that as a wood lover, you know that that's a lot of wood. And so the key is this. I'm not going to tell you not to do all of that wood, but I am going to be very very specific. You need to wisely create contrast between the floor, the cabinets, and the tops. So whatever color the oak is of the cabinets, that's a lock, right, because they're all finished out. Whatever color that is, you want some contrast in lightness or darkness and in intensity of color for the countertops number one and number two for the floor. If we go oak on oak on it, Actually the material itself is irrelevant. I would not use oak for the countertops just because oak doesn't do as well with these things. But the floor, the cabinetry, and the counter if you went with the same kind of style and the same general tone, you're going to end up with a wood cave. And you don't want a wood cave in your kitchen where your kitchen used to be. Okay, So in order for it to really pop, for it to really shine, for it to really show itself off, you just want color contrasts. So if the cabinets are staying dark, then you want to go lighter with the counter or vice versa. Our cabinets our kitchen are white. They're just there. They're beautiful wood cabinets, but they are white. And so the dark wallnut's sitting on top of those cabinets and then we have a brick style tile floor underneath them. They all just show off and compliment each other, you know, super well. Uh, but we have done wood on wood on wood before. But the key is contrast, heavy contrast so that you don't get that cavy bleed out effect.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so there you go, and uh, my recommendation as far as the wood, there are several species of hardwoods that work really, really well. You should just get yourself down to a hardwood specialty shop or lumberyard that specializes in hardwoods and uh and check out what they've got and the you know, see how you guys feel about it, because it's one of the one of the fun things about picking out hardwoods for situations like this. Every piece is different, you know, it's not just standard lumber, and a lot of people are one like, Okay, where do I find such things? Because you know, I didn't see anything at the home depot or Lows or at the lumber yard down the street. Now, first of all, your lumber yard down the street may have some, but there are shops all over southern California that specialize in these kinds of woods. Two things you need to do. One, when you're talking about wood that you're going to use for finished products like countertops or furniture, it doesn't come in it's not sold in inches by inches. It's actually sold in quarter inches thicknesses. So if you're looking for a two inch countertop slab, you're going to be looking for an eight quarter or an eight over four, okay, because that's how they're rated that way. So if you're looking for an inch and a half, it's a six over four, and one inch is a four over four. That's just lingo. If you walk in speak in the lingo, they're gonna dig you. Where do you find it? All over the place. If you're up here in eastern Ventura County or the West Valley, then you know, get out here to a gore and go to Canao Hardwoods. If you're in La Bonhoff lumber of course, classic my buddies over at Angel City Lumber. Please go to Angel City and check out what they've got. If down in Anaheim, you've got a lot of choices, among which are California exotic hardwoods, and there are others. There are many, many others, but there just gives you a sample of North Valley, Northwest Valley, LA, and Orange County. These kinds of places are all over the place. The last thing I'm going to tell you is when we do a countertop, my preference is not to super seal the wood in terms of like putting multiple layers of polyurythane and making it like a bar top shiny like I said our would when in raw the black walnut, and we just keep it nicely oiled, water beads right on the surface. What if it gets scratched, Dean, Well, it's two inch thick hardwood. If you end up with a scratch or a gouge that you're just like uh oh uh, you know what, especially if it's only been oiled, you just get out the sand paper or a little sand er, a little palm sander and just gently, very very gently massage the area until the gouge goes away. Reoil it and you're back in the game again. That has not happened to our countertop, but you know it could. So there you go, my friend Dave. Thank you for the question, and good luck on the kitchen. All right, when we come back more of your calls. I'm so glad you join him this morning. Hang tight, there is more to come. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper. Can if I Dean Sharp the House whisper, Welcome home. We're going back to the phones Jack, Welcome home, Hi Dean.
Speaker 8: My project is a shower that I need to totally remodel in the back of the house. It's just a stand up shower, has no tub and I want no grout back there. So I'm looking at using slabs on my countertops. I have Cambria quartz. I don't know if I can use Cambria quartz for the walls or if I should use marble or granite. And the last question is should I use it on the ceiling as well.
Speaker 4: As the walls.
Speaker 2: Okay, good questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes to all of the above, except for the ceiling question. You can use granted, you can use marble. I mean we put everything imaginable in a shower, and any slab material that is countertop worthy for your kitchen has no problem handling hot and cold water and steam in a shower. So yes, full slabs of cambria, any kind of quartz material whatsoever, And there are so many varieties on the market, many of which simulate stone pretty well, pretty well depending on the brand, in the style, and then the natural stones. The only thing I would say is, of course, with marble as always the same warning that we give when we put it in a kitchen. Marbling, granite need to keep sealed, and cambria are quartz, which is a man made material. It's only achilles heel. In the kitchen is really heat meaning you know, you can't just drop a four hundred degree pan on it without getting a little potential heat ring. But in the shower that's never going to be an issue whatsoever, So they're pretty bomb proof in shower applications. Quartz is not going to be as beautiful in most people's opinion as a natural stone like quartzite or granite or marble, but those elements, because they're natural stone. The price you pay for that level of beauty in there is you going to got to keep them sealed. But if you do that, you know probably in a shower once a year, I would say. Some marble guy out there is saying twice a year, Dean K fine, once or twice a year. But you keep them sealed and you'll have no problem. That's a life long, beautiful shower scenario. Now, as far as the ceiling is concerned, how tall is the ceiling in the shower?
Speaker 5: A set?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's an eight foot.
Speaker 1: And are you planning on ever using this shower as a steam shower?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So my general feeling is we default to putting a hard surface material on the ceiling. Why because steam rises, because water condensates up above.
Speaker 2: But is that a.
Speaker 1: Guarantee if you don't that you're going to have a drywall problems? Number one, if you use green board, which you should up there, green board drywall, which is a moisture resistant drywall, and you use a moisture resistant paint in the bathroom area, something really good like an Aura bath and.
Speaker 2: Spa from Benjamin Moore sponsored the show.
Speaker 1: But an Aura bath and spa something that's really designed to resist moisture, and the shower doors aren't too tall so that you're trapping most of that steam. So if we've got good ventilation, if the shower doors aren't trapping most of the steam and moisture inside the shower chamber, then you really are not going to have a problem running a painted ceiling in there. However, the bomb proof solution is always to take the same materials that you're using on the shower walls and pop them up there as well. When you do, though, let me be clear, if you're going to have a painted ceiling, you can just run a standard ceiling through. If you're going to put a a hard surface up there, like marble, let's say you're doing marble on the walls and you're gonna put marble overhead, you're gonna want to slope that ceiling ever so slightly. Don't put it up completely level, put it in on the tiniest of slope. I'm talking about an eighth of an inch per foot slope, just ever so slightly sloped from the shower door back sloped down towards the back shower wall. Why because if we put stone up there, it's a cold material, and the steam and moisture that rises from your hot shower will condensate very easily on that material, and as it condensates and turns into droplets, what you don't want is a cold rainforest dropping droplets of water on you while you're taking your hot shower. And so what we do is we pitch and slope that ceiling back so that that water runs along the ceiling to the back wall and then runs down the back wall instead of dripping in the shower. And it is a weird thought. You would think, well, you know, it's all hot water.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: The temperature coming out of the shower head is one temperature. By the time the moisture condensates on the cooler tile up above or slab up above, when it starts to drop on you, it's kind of annoyingly cooler than the hot shower that you're taking. And so slope that ceiling back and change the you know, get that water so it doesn't drip on you.
Speaker 2: Jack, thank you for your question.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Home Dean Sharp the House Whisper on KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty