Speaker 1: Welcome to another deep dive. This time we're gonna be taking a look at ransomware. Yeah, you gave us this excerpt from a book. It's called Preventing Ransomware. Oh wow, so you know, right off the bat, it sounds like we're in for a treat. Yeah, but thankfully we have expert speaker here to help guide us through this.
Speaker 2: Happy to be here, all right.
Speaker 1: So to kind of set the stage, yeah, the book takes us back to, you know, the early days of malware. Okay, you remember, like the I Love You worm? Oh yeah, you know, looking back now, it almost seems quaint, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It really does. It's like back then, malware was almost playful, right, you know, I Love You. It would spread through emails and it would like replace files, but it was mainly just about disruption. It wasn't really about you know, making money.
Speaker 1: Right now it's all about the money exactly. The malware is all grown up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's matured really very much.
Speaker 1: So. So how did we get from like those early days who just kind of and around to where we are now?
Speaker 2: Well, I think a big part of it is that shift towards profit, right, Yeah, as online systems became more and more essential to businesses and individuals. The potential for financial gain just became too tempting for attackers to resist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they realized, hey, we can actually make money off of this exactly. So let's talk about like the different types of ransomware. The book starts with scareware, okay, which to me feels like the og trickster.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Scareware is all about deception, right, and preying on people's fear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you know those pop ups that scream your computer is infected exact click here to download this scanner, which is like the malware itself.
Speaker 2: Or those fake anti virus programs with like really sleek interfaces that just bombard you with warnings and threats.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm surprised that stuff still works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd think people would be more savvy to it, but you know, there's still plenty of people who aren't as tech savvy. Ye, you know, maybe older users or just anyone who like panics easily when they see technical jargon, they might not realize that legitimate security software doesn't use those kinds of aggressive tactics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so what about screen lockers?
Speaker 2: Oh, those are interesting.
Speaker 1: Those just like lock you out of your device until you pay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Essentially, they hold your device hostage and they display this message demanding payment to unlock it.
Speaker 1: Right. Have you ever encountered one of those?
Speaker 2: I haven't personally, but I know people who have. Yeah, and the early versions were pretty simple, but they've gotten a lot more sophisticated over time.
Speaker 1: Oh really. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Some of them even mimic like official notices from law enforcement. Oh wow, to really amp up that fear factor.
Speaker 1: That's scary. But the book did mention there might be ways to like outsmart them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, depending on the complexity of the locker, there are potential workarounds like booting into safe mode or using system restore points. You know, those aren't always guaranteed to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right. But now let's get to like the really serious stuff crypto ransomware. Okay, this is where things get like really interesting and terrifying and terrifying. Yeah yeah, So, I mean what makes crypto ransomware so different?
Speaker 2: Well, it's the use of advanced encryption. It's like a digital thief changing the locks.
Speaker 1: On your house and then demanding a ransom for the key exactly, And even if you pay the ransom.
Speaker 2: There's no guarantee you'll actually get.
Speaker 1: Your data back, right, You're trusting criminals to keep.
Speaker 2: Their word, and criminals aren't exactly known for their honesty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good point. So how does this encryption like actually work.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of them use a combination of symmetric and asymmetric encryption. Okay, think of it as a double lock. Okay, So they generate a unique key for each file, right, and then they encrypt that key with a master key that only they have.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm already lost.
Speaker 2: Complicated stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it'll help if we like look at some real world examples. The book starts with jeep Code, which was like one of the early ransomware players.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Jeepode is a good example of how ransomware has evolved.
Speaker 1: Okoy.
Speaker 2: It used a relatively weak encryption.
Speaker 1: Algorithm, so it wasn't that sophisticated.
Speaker 2: Not really. No, In fact, some victims are actually able to decrypt their files without paying the ransom. Oh really Yeah, and it also left traces on the system, which made it easier to track.
Speaker 1: So not exactly master criminals at.
Speaker 2: This point, No, not quite.
Speaker 1: The jeep code was kind of a stepping stone.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it paved the way for more sophisticated attacks like crypto locker. Exactly.
Speaker 1: That one was a big deal, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 1: Strong encryption, Bitcoin payments, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 2: It was a whole new level of.
Speaker 1: Threat and it's spread like crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It mainly spread through phishing emails, okay, disguised as messages from legitimate companies like FedEx or ups.
Speaker 1: So you would open an attachment and boom, your data is locked down.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That a trick of tricking people into clicking.
Speaker 2: On things they should It's amazing how effective it still is. Yeah, social engineering remains one of the most powerful tools in the ransomware.
Speaker 1: Arsenal Right, So from g code to crypto locker, we're seeing this trend towards more sophisticated tactics, and then comes crypto wall, right, which the book describes as like almost treating ransomware like a legitimate business.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating, isn't it. Yeah, they had version updates, support systems, the whole works.
Speaker 1: Wait, support systems like they would actually help their victims pay the ransom.
Speaker 2: It sounds crazy, but yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Kind of messed up, it is, But I guess it makes.
Speaker 2: Sense, right, Yeah, the smoother the payment process, the more likely victims are to.
Speaker 1: Pay, right, So it's all about maximizing profit.
Speaker 2: It's a twisted kind of customer service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very twisted. Yeah. And then of course there was Lockie, which was like a master of disguise.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Lockie was constantly changing its tactics right to stay ahead of security measures, so it was really.
Speaker 1: Hard to detect. And then we have Serber, which would actually play audio messages demanding payment.
Speaker 2: I know, it's like something out of a horror.
Speaker 1: Movie, right, it's just adding insult to injury exactly. And the book also mentioned that Serber used configuration files to adapt its behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Those configuration files allowed the attackers to modify Serber without having to rewrite the entire code, so.
Speaker 1: They can easily change things like the ransom amount or the files they.
Speaker 2: Were targeting, exactly, and made it a very flexible and adaptable threat.
Speaker 1: All right. So we've talked about scareware, screen lockers, and this whole world of crypto ransomware, but the book also mentions another category, boot ransomware.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those are nasty like petya.
Speaker 1: So what makes boot ransomware different.
Speaker 2: Well, boot ransomware targets the master boot record or MBR, which is basically what's needed to start your computer. So by infecting the NBR, Petya could lock down your entire system before Windows even had a chance to load. Oh wow, which made it incredibly difficult to remove.
Speaker 1: So you turn on your computer, yeah, and instead of seeing your desktop, you'd.
Speaker 2: Get a ransom note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a nightmare, it is. Okay, we've covered a lot of ground here, we have. I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: It's a lot to take in, I know, but you know, understanding these threats is the first step to protecting.
Speaker 1: Yourself, right, well said, I think we need a moment to just like digest all this before we move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good idea.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pick up where we left off, and I think it's time to talk about a couple of names that you know, really shook things up in the world of ransomware. Want to Cry and not Patya.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those were game changers.
Speaker 1: What made them so different from you know, everything else we've talked about.
Speaker 2: Well, Want to Cry back in twenty seventeen, really exposed how vulnerable a lot of systems were.
Speaker 1: The book called it a global panic inducer, and I remember, I mean it was everywhere. It was hospitals, businesses, governments. Nobody seemed to be immune to it.
Speaker 2: And that's because it exploited this vulnerability and a system that was used for file sharing.
Speaker 1: So it spread really easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like wildfire through networks.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's you know, one of the things that made it so.
Speaker 2: Scary, right, it showed how interconnected our digital world is yea, and how vulnerable we can be because of it.
Speaker 1: And one of the reasons it spread so quickly, as I understand it was this self spreading mechanism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once it infected one system, it could automatically jump to other vulnerable computers on the same network.
Speaker 1: So no human interaction required.
Speaker 2: Nope, it was like a digital contagion.
Speaker 1: Just hopping from system to system.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that made it incredibly difficult to contain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the time you realized you were infected, it could have already spread to who knows how many other systems exactly, So want to cry was bad enough. But then there's not Petya, which from what I read, wasn't even really about making money.
Speaker 2: That's right, Not Petya was much more destructive. Yeah, it was a wiper disguised as ransomware.
Speaker 1: So its goal was to destroy.
Speaker 2: Data exactly, not hold it hosted.
Speaker 1: That's just malicious.
Speaker 2: It was a very targeted and malicious attack.
Speaker 1: The book mentions how it went after the master file table, which honestly I don't fully understand. It's pretty technical, but the end result was basically mass chaos and damage.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, yes, not Petia caused a lot of damage to businesses and organizations around the world.
Speaker 1: And it's spread using similar techniques as want to Cry.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it exploited the same vulnerability, but its intent was purely destructive.
Speaker 1: So we've seen how ransomware has evolved from those early days to these global threats like want to Cry and not Pettia, and it's pretty clear that there's a serious problem that's not going.
Speaker 2: Away, not anytime soon.
Speaker 1: So let's shift gears a little bit and talk about how these attacks actually happen. How does ransomware get into our systems in the first place.
Speaker 2: That's a great question because understanding the methods of attack is the first step to defending yourself, right, and one of the most common ways ransomware gets in is through phishing.
Speaker 1: Fishing, that classic attack of tricking people into clicking on malicious links or opening infected attachments exactly. You know, it's been around foreverything else, but it's still incredibly effective.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess it just plays on our human nature.
Speaker 2: Right, Exactly. It exploits our emotions fear, urgency, curiosity.
Speaker 1: Right. So the attackers will create these emails that look like they're from a bank, or a government agency, or.
Speaker 2: Even a trusted colleague.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone you know and trust.
Speaker 2: Right. It's all about social.
Speaker 1: Engineering, manipulating people into letting their guard down exactly. So are there any red flags like things we can look out for to avoid falling victim to these phishing scams?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? First and foremost, be wary of any unsolicited emails.
Speaker 1: Like if you weren't expecting it, be suspicious.
Speaker 2: Right, especially those that create a sense of urgency or pressure you to act quickly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those are always a red flag.
Speaker 2: Right. Also, take a moment to really look at the sender's email address. M hmmm, are there any misspellings inconsistencies?
Speaker 1: And don't click on any links and ntil you've hovered over them to see the actual URL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it looks suspicious, don't click.
Speaker 1: Okay, good advice. But it's not just fishing, right.
Speaker 2: No, there are other ways ransomware can get in, like what, well, they're these things called exploit kits.
Speaker 1: Exploit kits, what are those?
Speaker 2: They're basically automated tools that scan for vulnerabilities in your software, okay, and then deliver tailored exploits to take advantage of those weaknesses.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're scanning your system for any cracks in your armor.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: And then they exploit those cracks exactly. And these exploit kits they're constantly evolving, right they are.
Speaker 2: They're always incorporating new exploits as vulnerabilities are discovered.
Speaker 1: So it's like an arms race, it is between the attackers and the defenders exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's why it's so important to keep your software updated, right.
Speaker 1: Those updates, those pesky updates that we all hate, but they're crucial. They're not just about new features. They're often patching those vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Right, the ones that could be exploited by rants.
Speaker 1: So update your software people, please, It could save you a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: It could.
Speaker 1: And then there's another way ransomware can get in.
Speaker 2: There is that's.
Speaker 1: Even more passive. These drive by downloads.
Speaker 2: Oh, drive by downloads, Yeah, those.
Speaker 1: Are scary one of those exactly.
Speaker 2: Well. Imagine you're visiting a website. Okay, seems harmless enough, right, Yeah, You're browsing for information, maybe shopping online, and suddenly, without even clicking on anything, your computer's infected with ransomware.
Speaker 1: Wait what I thought you had to download something or click on a link. Not always, that's terrifying.
Speaker 2: It can be.
Speaker 1: So just visiting a website can.
Speaker 2: Be risky to a certain extent.
Speaker 1: Yes, but there are ways to mitigate these risks, right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's all about understanding the threats, yeah, and taking appropriate precautions.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about those precautions. All right, what can we do to protect ourselves from this ever evolving threat of ransomware.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with the basics. Operating system hardening.
Speaker 1: Operating system hardening, what's that?
Speaker 2: It might sound complicated, yeah, but it's really just about making your system less vulnerable to attack. Okay, So this includes things like disabling.
Speaker 1: Auto un auto run.
Speaker 2: What does that do that prevents programs from automatically launching from external devices. Oh yeah, you should also use strong passwords.
Speaker 1: Right, passwords that are hard.
Speaker 2: To guess exactly, And of course keep your system patched with the latest security updates.
Speaker 1: Those pesky updates.
Speaker 2: Again, I know, but they're important, right.
Speaker 1: All right, So we've got the basics covered. But what about antivirus software. Isn't that enough to protect us?
Speaker 2: Anti virus is important. Yeah, it's a key layer of defense, but it's not a fool proof solution.
Speaker 1: So it's not like a magic shield that will block everything.
Speaker 2: No, unfortunately not.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Well, traditional antivirus relies on signatures to detect known threats, okay. And while that can be effective against some ransomware variants, yeah, more sophisticated attackers can evade signature based detection.
Speaker 1: So they find ways to sneak past the antivirus exactly. But the book does talk about how antivirus has evolved to try and combat these more advanced threats. It has like, what are some of the things that antivirus is doing now to keep up with the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Well, modern antivirus solutions are incorporating more sophisticated techniques, okay, like heuristics, which involves analyzing code for suspicious patterns, okay, and behavioral analysis, which monitors how programs behave on your system.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about looking for specific files anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, it's about recognizing patterns and behaviors that might indicate malicious intent.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're trying to think like the attackers in a way. And in addition to antivirus, Windows itself has built in security features that can help protect against ransomware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some really useful features like what. Well, there's DP, which stands for Data Execution Prevention that prevents code from being executed in areas of memory that are meant for data.
Speaker 1: Storage, all right, and that helps how.
Speaker 2: It makes it harder for exploits to target key system components.
Speaker 1: Okay. And there's another one.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, there's ASLR, which stands for a dress space layout Randomization Address space layout what randomization. It basically makes it more difficult for exploits to find and target specific memory locations.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're constantly moving the target.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 1: So I'm guessing it's a good idea to keep these features enabled.
Speaker 2: Absolutely they add an extra layer of protection.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know. And if you're using Windows eight or later, there's another feature called secure boot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, secure boot is great.
Speaker 1: What does that do well?
Speaker 2: It's designed to prevent attacks that target the boot process like petya exactly. It verifies the integrity of the bootloader, which is the program that starts your operating system. So it makes sure that only trusted software is loaded during startup.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a bouncer at the door checking IDs to make sure only authorize guests get in exactly. And speaking of gatekeepers, we can't forget about.
Speaker 2: Fire Oh yeah, firewalls are essential.
Speaker 1: Everyone's heard of them, right, but I'm not sure everyone understands how they actually work. Well.
Speaker 2: They act as a barrier between your computer or network and the outside world, monitor and control network traffic, blocking incoming connections from suspicious sources and preventing unauthorized access to your system.
Speaker 1: So they're basically filtering traffic based on certain rules exactly.
Speaker 2: Like who's allowed to connect and what ports they can use.
Speaker 1: So they're like a security checkpoint inspecting the traffic.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: The book talks about different types of firewalls. Yeah, network firewalls and host based firewalls. What's the difference.
Speaker 2: Well, a network firewall protects your entire network, okay, it filters traffic between your internal network and the outside world.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security guard at the entrance to your building exactly, checking everyone who comes in and out. And a host based firewall.
Speaker 2: That's installed on your individual computer so it protects that specific device.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a personal bodyguard exactly. So having both types of firewalls is ideal. Ideally, Yeah, it provides a more comprehensive layer of protection.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And in addition to firewalls, there are also intrusion detection and prevention systems.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, idips SIPs. What are those, Well, think of them as the traffic cops of your network, Okay. They analyze network traffic for suspicious patterns that might indicate and attack, so.
Speaker 1: They're like looking for anything out of the ordinary, exactly. They come in two flavors, right, IDs and IPS.
Speaker 2: Right. An IDs passively monitors traffic and alerts you to potential threats, okay, while an IPS can actively block malicious traffic.
Speaker 1: So they're like having surveillance cameras and security guards working together.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: And the book mentions something called Snort signatures. How do those fit in?
Speaker 2: Well? Snort is a popular open source intrusion detection system, okay, and it uses rules called signatures to identify malicious traffic. Oh okay, So these rules define patterns of network activity that are associated with known attacks or exploits.
Speaker 1: So if the traffic matches a.
Speaker 2: Rule, Snort raises a red flag.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's like having a security camera that's programmed to recognize suspicious behavior exactly. Okay, So we've got anti virus, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, the law, I know it is, but it sounds like we're building up quite a security arsenal here we are. What about dealing with like suspicious files?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: You know, if you come across a file that you think might be infected, is there a way to analyze it safely without risking infection?
Speaker 2: There is?
Speaker 1: You can use a sandbox a sandbox, right, we talked about those earlier. Could you remind us how those work?
Speaker 2: Sure, A sandbox provides a safe, isolated environment where you can analyze suspicious files without risking infection. To your actual system.
Speaker 1: So it's like a virtual detonation chamber.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: You can safely detonate a potential bomb in there without causing any real damage exactly.
Speaker 2: And the sandbox the file's behavior, looking for any malicious actions like what like file encryption, network communication with known command and control servers, attempts to modify system settings.
Speaker 1: So if the file starts acting shady, you know it's bad news and you could just delete it hopefully. So sandboxes are a great tool for analyzing those potentially dangerous files, especially those that might evade traditional anti virus detection. Right. Okay, So we've got all these layers of defense in place, antivirus, firewalls, intrusion detection, sandboxes. But what about our data itself?
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, the crown jewel.
Speaker 1: Exactly what can we do to protect the information that's most valuable to us?
Speaker 2: Well, that brings us to the last line of defense, data protection. Okay, And one of the most powerful tools in our data protection arsenal, is encryption.
Speaker 1: Encryption, right, that's about scrambling our data so it's unreadable without the decryption key exactly. So even if ransomware does manage to infect your system. Encryption can prevent it from accessing your valuable files.
Speaker 2: Right, it's like putting your valuables in a safe.
Speaker 1: That only you have the combination too, exactly, And the book talks about tools like BitLocker for encrypting our data.
Speaker 2: Yeah, BitLocker is a great option.
Speaker 1: What is BitLocker.
Speaker 2: It's a full disc encryption feature built into certain versions of Windows. It encrypts your entire hard drive.
Speaker 1: So even if your device is lost or stolen, the data is protective. That's pretty reassuring it is. But what if the attacker already has access to your system? That's a good question, Like what if they've already bypassed all those other layers of defense that we talked about. Yeah, is there anything we can do to recover our data if it's been encrypted by ransomware?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where backups come in.
Speaker 1: Backups, right, the classic advice.
Speaker 2: It's classic for a reason.
Speaker 1: It works, it does.
Speaker 2: Backups are your safety net. Yeah, in case of a ransomware attack or really any other data loss scenario.
Speaker 1: So even if our files are encrypted, we can just restore them from a backup.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like having a spare key to your house in case someone changes the locks.
Speaker 1: I like that analogy.
Speaker 2: Regularly backing up your important data to an external hard drive or a cloud storage service or some other secure location.
Speaker 1: It can be a life saver, it really can. And what about data loss prevention solutions DLP? Yeah, the book mentions those as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. DLP solutions are designed to detect and prevent sensitive data from leaving your organization. They monitor data in use, in motion, and at rest, so.
Speaker 1: They're like security guards for your data exactly, watching for any suspicious activity.
Speaker 2: Right. They can be a really valuable layer of defense against data breaches.
Speaker 1: Including those caused by ransomware that might try to steal your data exactly. Okay, Wow, we have covered so much ground here. We have, and it's clear that defending against ransomware is not a simple task.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's a multifaceted challenge.
Speaker 1: We need to be proactive, yes, vigilant absolutely, and have multiple layers of defense in place.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: It's not about being paranoid, right, it's about being informed and prepared exactly. I think we've given our list a lot to think about here.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should take a moment to like recap everything we've discussed, okay, and highlight the key takeaways. Sounds good, okay, So here we are the final part of our ransomware deep dive.
Speaker 2: It's been quite a journey, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: It has. We've covered so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We've talked about the history, how these attacks have evolved, how they spread, you know, the whole shebang.
Speaker 1: And you know, I hope our listener is feeling more informed than intimidated at this point.
Speaker 2: That's the goal.
Speaker 1: So I guess if if there were like just a few key takeaways that you want our listeners to remember from all of this, what would they be.
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing is to understand that ransomware it's a serious threat. Yeah, but it's not unbeatable.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You can drastically reduce your chances of becoming a victim by being proactive and taking those steps to secure your systems and your data.
Speaker 1: It's all about prevention exactly.
Speaker 2: Don't wait until it's too late to start thinking about security, right right.
Speaker 1: And I guess you know the second big takeaway is that this threat landscape is constantly.
Speaker 2: Changing, yeah, always evolving.
Speaker 1: You know, new ransomware variants are popping up all the time, and the attackers they're always looking for new ways to exploit those vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's a never ending game of cat and mouse.
Speaker 1: So we have to stay vigilant.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, never get complacent.
Speaker 1: Keep learning, keep adapting.
Speaker 2: Right, because the bad guys they're not slowing down.
Speaker 1: No, they're not. And then I guess you know. The third big takeaway is that even with the best defenses in place, Yeah, there's always a chance that something could slip through the cracks.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: So we need to have a plan in place.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You need to know what to do if you become a victim of ransomware.
Speaker 1: And the book talks about having an incident response plan. Yes, what does that involve?
Speaker 2: Well, an incident response plan outlines all the steps you should take if you get hit with ransomware, like isolating infected.
Speaker 1: Systems so you prevent it from spreading.
Speaker 2: Exactly, contacting law enforcement, assessing the damage, that sort of thing. Right, Having a plan in place can help you minimize the impact, recover more quickly.
Speaker 1: And potentially avoid paying the ransom hopefully. Yeah. So it's like you know, having a fire escape plan.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: You hope you never have to use it, but if there's a fire, you know what to do. Be prepared, Be prepared exactly. Yeah, okay, Well, this has been a really insightful discussion.
Speaker 2: I've enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Any final thoughts before we wrap things up.
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing is to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. This fight against ransomware, it's an ongoing process. You have to keep learning, adapting, staying ahead.
Speaker 1: Of the curve, and don't forget the human element.
Speaker 2: No, that's crucial.
Speaker 1: You know. Ransomware often succeeds because it preys on our vulnerabilities, our fear, our urgency, our tendency to just click on things without thinking.
Speaker 2: You're right. If we can educate ourselves and others about those tactics, we can create a much stronger defense.
Speaker 1: Well said, Yeah, Well, that concludes our deep dive into the world of ransomware.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot of ground we have, but hopefully, you know our listener feels empowered with the knowledge they need to stay safe out there.
Speaker 2: Knowledge is power.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Thanks for joining us on this deep dive. Until next time, stay curious,