Speaker 1: Okay, So we're diving into this ansable Automation steady guide today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, specifically geared towards the Red Hat Certified Engineer Exam.
Speaker 1: The RCE exactly. This is going to be kind of like your express lane, not just to passing the exam, but to becoming a true answerable whiz. I like that. I like that too. Answable whiz so ansable automation.
Speaker 2: It's a it's an interesting way that they tackle automation. So it's an open source tool, okay, which means anybody can use it, anybody can contribute to it, and it lets you manage a whole bunch of servers or network devices from one central command point.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty powerful, very powerful, that one central command point. Yeah, I mean, are there any security risks to having all your eggs in one basket like that? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's a that's a great question. Yeah. While that central control node does offer amazing control and efficiency, you also have to think about redundancy. If that goes down, your automation is is halted, at LEAs temporarily, right. So, in production environments, it's very common to have a backup control node or some kind of high availability setup but for learning and practicing ansable, yeah, a single node is more than enough.
Speaker 1: So for our purposes in this deep dive, yeah, we're good. We're good with one absolutely so ansable itself. Yeah, the study guide focuses on using it with Redhead Enterprise Linux.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is very common.
Speaker 1: But I'm guessing it's not limited to that.
Speaker 2: You are absolutely right, Okay. Ansable is very versatile. It can be used across a wide range of Linux distros and even some other operating systems.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So for this deep dive, we're going to be using Sentos eight okay, which is a freely available version of red Hat Enterprise Linux. Okay, and Ubuntu eighteen point zero four, just to show you how adaptable it is.
Speaker 1: Perfect. Yeah, so before we unleash the magic, Okay, what kind of setup do we need to get started with ansable?
Speaker 2: So, before you can start automating, you need to say up your ansible environment, and the core of this is the ansible configuration file antsable dot cfg.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: This is where you can tweak all sorts of settings to customize how ansable behaves.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so it's like fine tuning the engine before a race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and then you have the ansible inventory Okay. This is essentially a list of all the systems that you want to manage. You can think of it as a map of your IT kingdom.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it knows exactly what to manage, what it has authority over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's a couple different ways to create this inventory.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You can use a statting list, which is good for smaller, unchanging environments, but for larger or more dynamic setups, okay, you might want to explore dynamic inventory. And that's where ansable actually discovers the hosts for you, cool using network scanning okay techniques.
Speaker 1: So for bigger dynamic setups where you have like servers coming and going all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, very common in the cloud. And to kind of keep track of all these servers, you can group servers together in the inventory, so you might have a group for web servers, a group for database servers, and so on. And then to add another layer of customization, you can use variables, and these allow you to define values that can be used throughout your answable code, which makes your playbooks, which we'll get to later, much more adaptable.
Speaker 1: Oh, very cool. Yeah, okay, so we've got our control node, we've got our inventory, our variables all set. How do we actually start automating things with ansable.
Speaker 2: There are two main ways to interact with antsable. You can either use ad hoc commands or you can use playbooks.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Ad hoc commands are kind of like quick one time instructions that you give to antsable. They're great for simple tasks or just testing the waters when you're first starting.
Speaker 1: Out, so like a quick command line instruction exactly.
Speaker 2: For example, you can use an ad hoc command to see if ansable can even connect to your managed hosts, and that's done using the ping module. Ping module, But don't confuse this with the network ping command. It's not the same thing. It's more of a hair you alive? Are you listening to me? Check for your servers?
Speaker 1: Makes sense?
Speaker 2: You can also use it to manage user accounts, which is a very common task for any sissigmin So you can create users, set passwords, grant pseudo privileges, all with just a single command.
Speaker 1: That sounds much faster than having to log in, way faster to each server individually.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and to make these commands even more powerful. Ansable uses modules. You can think of modules as the building blocks of ansable. Each module is designed to carry out a specific task. So for managing users, you'd use the user module. What copy files to multiple servers, You've got the copy module.
Speaker 1: Makes sense?
Speaker 2: And for managing SSH keys, you've got the authorized key module. Okay, and those are just to name a few.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to see how these modules can be really useful. Yes, and powerful, very much so. But it seems like these ad hoc commands are only good for those one off tasks, you got it? What if you want to automate a whole series of actions.
Speaker 2: That's where playbooks come in. Okay, that's when things get really exciting.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hear about these playbooks. Yeah, what makes them so special? So?
Speaker 2: Playbooks are like the heart and soul of antsable.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They allow you to define a series of tasks that ansable will execute in order, giving you a repeatable and predictable way to automate complex workflows. Instead of typing individual commands, you write a playbook once, right, and ansable does the rest.
Speaker 1: So that can save a ton of time and effort. Oh yeah, absolutely, What do these playbooks actually look like.
Speaker 2: Okay. So playbooks are written in YAML yea yemol, which stands for or yamel ain't markup language.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a human readable data serialization language.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's designed to be easy for both humans and machines to understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no need to be a coding guru to work with these, not at all. That's good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: YAMIL uses indentation and a simple structure to define the tasks and their order.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So your first playbook could be as simple as installing a certain software package on a group of servers, and you would define the servers, the package to install, and any other necessary parameters, all in this YAMAL format.
Speaker 1: And so I just define the steps and it goes off you got it, and does them. That's the beauty of it on all the servers that specify.
Speaker 2: Okay. And to make your playbooks even smarter, ansable has this neat feature called facts facts.
Speaker 1: Facts like it's doing its own research. You got it, okay.
Speaker 2: So Ansible facts are pieces of information about each managed host that ansable gathers automatically, things like the operating system, the amount of RAM, the IP address.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, and so on, So it can actually make decisions.
Speaker 2: Based on exactly Yeah. So you can create playbooks that are adaptable, that can handle different server configurations without you having to manually adjust them every time.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Okay, Yeah, this is getting really interesting, it is. We're only scratching the surface here. Yeah, and I can already see how powerful this is. Yeah, and we're just getting started.
Speaker 2: And believe me, we're just getting started. There's so much more to explore with playbooks.
Speaker 1: Well, let's dive deeper into this antsible world. Sounds good, and move on to some of those more advanced topics.
Speaker 2: Let's do it now. Let's shift gears a little bit, okay, and talk about managing users like a pro. Okay, remember those user modules that we talked about earlier with ad hoc commands, Well, when you combine those with the power of playbooks.
Speaker 1: You unlock a whole new level of user management capabilities.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what can you do with users and playbooks? Yeah, that you can't do with the ad hoc commands.
Speaker 1: So playbooks let you create these intricate workflows for managing users. Think about creating, deleting, and modifying user accounts across dozens or even hundreds of servers, all with a few lines of Yamel code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be a huge time saver. Huge But doesn't that mean writing the same code over and over?
Speaker 1: No, not at all. Answable has this great feature called loops. With loops, you can define a set of tasks to be repeated multiple times, making your playbooks much more efficient and a lot less repetitive.
Speaker 2: So if I needed to create like ten new users exactly, I wouldn't have to write it ten times exactly.
Speaker 1: You would just use a loop to iterate through a list of user names gotcha, and have answerble create each account automatically. That's pretty cool. But what if you needed to apply different rules for different users, like some users need Zudo access some users don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. Yeah, that's where conditional statements come in. Ansiple uses when statements in playbooks to add logic and decision making to your automation.
Speaker 1: So it's not just blindly executing, right, it can adapt.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you can tell antsple, hey, only execute this task if this condition is true. Okay, So in your example, you could have a playbook that creates a user account and then only grants pseudo privileges if the username is in a specific list.
Speaker 1: Okay. Cool, So it's a lot smarter than I initially thought. Oh yeah, okay, smarter. What about handling sensitive information like user passwords?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Yeah, security is paramount when dealing with passwords.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want those just stored in plain text. No, absolutely not in my playbooks.
Speaker 2: That's where ansple vault comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ansible Vault. Ansible Vault so like a digital lock box for my passwords exactly. Okay.
Speaker 2: Ansple Vault uses strong encryption to protect variables and files, so you can encrypt sensitive information like passwords, API keys, or any other data that you don't want just sitting out in plain text.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then when you run your playbooks, you provide the vault password gosh, and ansable decrypts the data on the fly.
Speaker 1: So even if someone got a hold of my playbook, they wouldn't be able to get to those.
Speaker 2: Passes exactly, they wouldn't be able to use it without the vault password, without the vault past.
Speaker 1: Okay, that definitely eases my security concerns. Speaking of real world applications, this study guide mentions using ansable to deploy an Apache web server. Yeah, now that sounds like a pretty complex task.
Speaker 2: It can be.
Speaker 1: It can ansable really handle all of that absolutely.
Speaker 2: Deploying a web server involves multiple steps, right from installing the web server software to configuring virtual hosts, setting up security, and even handling the website content.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine doing all that manually.
Speaker 2: Oh it would be a.
Speaker 1: Nightmare logging into each server running commands exactly.
Speaker 2: But with antsable, you define all those steps in a playbook and it takes care of their Wow. Okay, So imagine you have a group of servers that are designated as your web servers. Your ansable playbook would first make sure that the Apache web server software, which is often called HDTPD on red Hat systems and Apache two on Debian based systems, is installed on each server. After installing the web server software, the playbook would then move on to configuring the server itself. So you might use the line and file module to modify directives within the main Apache configuration file, like setting the server name for each virtual host.
Speaker 1: So that's the server configuration. What about the actual website content?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's where the copy and template modules come in. For simple static websites, you can use the copy module to transfer files from a central location to your web servers. Ok But if you need more dynamic content, like files that need to be tailored for each server, then you'd use the template module. Gotcha, and ansable uses a powerful templating engine called Jinga two for this, Okay, gingit tooo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I could have a template for like a configuration file right that automatically inserts exactly like the correct server name yes, or IP address.
Speaker 2: And you can even embed variables, logic, and even loops within your template files, making them really flexible and adaptive.
Speaker 1: So I could create one template right and it would work across all my different servers exactly. Okay, that's powerful, very powerful. But what about security? Good point, especially with web.
Speaker 2: Servers, right, security is crucial, right, and ansable provides a variety of modules to help you lock down your web servers okay. For instance, you can use the firewalled module to configure firewall rules ensuring that only the necessary ports are open. Okay, you know, like port eighty for HTTP traffic or four forty three for HTTPS traffic.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You can also use the Apple module to manage file permissions, making sure that sensitive files and directories are only accessible to authorized users and processes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you can actually enforce those security best practices. You got it from the beginning.
Speaker 2: From the get go. Cool, and often a web server isn't just a standalone entity. It's part of a larger ecosystem, often involving databases and server side scripting languages. For example, the LMP stack, which stands for Linux, Apache, Mysuquel, and PHP, is a very common combination for web applications.
Speaker 1: Can Ansible handle setting up all of that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? In fact, Ansable excels at managing complex, multi layered systems like the LMP stack. Oh wow, And this is where ansable roles really shine. Remember how we talked about grouping servers and the inventory, Well, roles take that concept a step further and they allow you to group tasks and configurations together, making your playbooks even more modular and reusable.
Speaker 1: So instead of having one giant playbook that does every thing, I can have like smaller ones.
Speaker 2: You can break it down into these smaller, more manageable roles. You could have a role for Apache, a role for my sequel, a role for a PHP and so on and each role would contain all the tasks and configurations specific to that component.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you could.
Speaker 2: Just include those roles in your main playbook like building blocks, exactly like building blocks.
Speaker 1: But what if I don't want to write all those roles myself?
Speaker 2: Ah, good question. Yeah, that's where ansable galaxy comes in.
Speaker 1: Answable Galany ansable Galaxy.
Speaker 2: It's a public repository of pre built ansable roles created and shared by the ansable community.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Think of it like an app store for automation.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: So you can search for a role that installs and configures my sequel, for example, and just use that instead of writing it yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That would be a huge time saver. Huge if you can find a role that already does what you needed to do exactly.
Speaker 2: And antsable galaxy has this vast collection of roles okay for all sorts of tasks, from setting up web servers to configuring databases to managing firewalls.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And the beauty of it is that these roles are often well documented and maintained by experienced ansable users.
Speaker 1: That makes me feel better about using it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you can be confident in their quality and reliability.
Speaker 1: This is amazing. It sounds like ansable can take a lot of the hard work out of system administration. Oh yeah, but what about managing other aspects of my infrastructure like storage?
Speaker 2: Ansable can do that too. If not limited to just managing software and services, it can also automate storage related tasks okay, which is often a critical part of any.
Speaker 1: IT infrastructure storage tasks. That sounds pretty specialized. It is what kind of things can ansable do?
Speaker 2: So the study guide actually goes over a range of storage related modules. You can use the parted module to partition discs okay, which is often the first step in preparing storage device right. And then there's the filesystem module, which lets you create filesystems on those newly created partitions, allowing you to format them with different filesystems like XT four xfs.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it handles like the basic setup of storage devices. Yeah, but what a more advanced storage concepts like logical volumes.
Speaker 2: Ancable can handle that too, Okay. It provides modules for managing logical volumes using LVM. LVM LVM which stands for a Logical Volume Manager, and LVM is a very powerful technology. It allows you to create these flexible and resizable storage volumes. Oh cool, abstracting away the underlying physical discs.
Speaker 1: So I could use ansable to create or re size, or even delete logical volumes on the fly.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, The LVG and LVALL modules give you very fine grained control over your logical volumes.
Speaker 1: This is pretty impressive. It seems like ansable can handle just about any storage task. But what about storage efficiency? Ah?
Speaker 2: Good question. As our data grows, storage can become a real bottleneck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: The study guide goes into using the veto module, the vito veto module, which manages video volumes. Video stands for virtual data Optimizer virtual data optimizer, and it's a technology that enhances storage efficiency through techniques like compression and data deduplication.
Speaker 1: So it's like squeezing more data in the same amount of space exactly.
Speaker 2: Video can significantly reduce your storage footprint. Cool, especially for workloads that involve a lot of redundant data. That makes sense and answerable gives you the tools to create, manage, and monitor video volumes.
Speaker 1: Awesome. This is all incredibly powerful, But sometimes storage tasks require like a very specific order of operations. What if I need to make sure that certain tasks are executed and a precise sequence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're dealing with sensitive operations like storage management, the order of tasks can be critical, and ansable provides a mechanism called serial execution to.
Speaker 2: Address that serial execution.
Speaker 1: Serial execution. With serial execution, you can define the exact order in which tasks are run on different hosts.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. Yeah, so if one task depends on another one completing, right, I can use serial execution, you got it to enforce that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This level of control is essential Okay for ensuring the integrity and consistency of your infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Right, especially with storage.
Speaker 1: Especially with storage. Okay, when dealing with critical components.
Speaker 2: Wow, we've covered a lot of ground here. We have gone from basic user management to deploying web servers to managing complex storage systems. Yeah, it seems like ansable can really automate just about anything.
Speaker 1: It's true. Ansable is a remarkably versatile tool, and we've only scratched the surface of what it can do.
Speaker 2: But the key takeaway here is that it empowers you to take control of your infrastructure, automate those repetitive tasks, and free up your time to focus on more strategic initiatives.
Speaker 1: That sounds like the dream for any busy sissemen, it is, it is, all right, Well, I'm eager to learn even more about what ansable can do. Okay, we've really explored the power and versatility of antsable for automation. But even with a study guide like this, prepping for a certification exam. Yeah, like the r EFCE can feel a little overwhelming. Yeah, what are some of the key insights from this study guide that would help someone actually tackle the RCE.
Speaker 2: So one thing that's interesting about the RHC exam, okay, is that it's not your typical multiple choice memory tests. Okay, it's a very hands on, practical exam.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: That puts you in the driver's seat of a real world scenario. So you're actually going to be task with managing a set of Linux systems using ansable, just like you would on the job.
Speaker 1: So it's more like a simulation than a traditional exam exact, Okay, that sounds pretty intessee. It is, But it's also incredibly valuable, oh absolutely, because it tests your ability to apply your.
Speaker 2: Knowledge, yes, in a practical setting, right in a real world setting. And the good news is that the exam objectives are very clearly defined, okay, outlining the specific skills and knowledge that you need to demonstrate.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's reassuring to know.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you can focus your study efforts effectively.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to waste time studying something right that's not going to be on there exactly. So what are some of the key areas that the exam focuses on.
Speaker 2: So one of the most important skills that the RHCEE exam emphasizes, okay, is the ability to troubleshoot and debug ansable playbooks.
Speaker 1: Because in the real world, exact things don't always work out. They don't the way they're supposed to you, got it, So being able to fix those issues right is important.
Speaker 2: So how does the study guide help with those debugging skills? So the study guide provides a number of helpful debugging techniques. For example, it covers using the ung V flag with the ansable playbook command, and this gives you more verbose output, which can help you pinpoint exactly where things are going wrong.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: It also introduces the debug module, which allows you to inspect variables and the state of your system at various points in your playbook execution.
Speaker 1: So it's like giving you tools exactly to kind of understand what's happening under the hood. Are there any other essential concepts that the study guide highlights.
Speaker 2: One concept that's crucial for the RHCE and for good automation practice in general is idempotency, idemptencdempotency.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a mouthful, it is. What does that mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So idempotency means that you can run your answable place books multiple times without causing unintended side effects changes. So it's like, in other words, if a task has already been completed, antsable won't try to do it again unnecessarily.
Speaker 1: So apply only if needed exactly.
Speaker 2: So, imagine you have a playbook that installs a softer package. If you run that playbook multiple times on a server where the package is already installed, an idempatent playbook would recognize that and skip the installation step.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This prevents unnecessary changes and potential conflicts.
Speaker 1: So it's all about ensuring that your automation.
Speaker 2: Is predictable exactly, okay, and that it doesn't introduce instability into your systems.
Speaker 1: Right, So, how do you actually write a tempatent playbooks.
Speaker 2: So the study guide provides practical examples of how to achieve idempotency in your playbooks. This often involves using conditional statements like when to check if a certain condition is met before executing a task.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: It might also involve using modules that are designed to be idempatent. For example, the package module, which is used to install software packages, can be configured to only install a package if it's not already present.
Speaker 1: So you're basically building in those checks and balances exactly to make sure everything's running smoothly. What about ansable modules?
Speaker 2: Yes, ansable modules I.
Speaker 1: Soalked about them before. Yes, but how important are they?
Speaker 2: They're essential for the RHCE exam. The exam expects you to have a solid understanding of a wide range of modules and their specific use cases. That think of modules as the tools in your ansible toolbox. Each module is designed to perform a particular task, and knowing which module to use for the job is crucial.
Speaker 1: So it's not enough to just know that they exist. You actually need to know how to use them exactly.
Speaker 2: You need to know this speci of each one and how to use them effectively.
Speaker 1: So the study guide provides a comprehensive overview it does of those commonly used modules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it covers things like the user module, the group module, the copy module, the file module, the service moduleum APT, and many others. It explains their purpose, their syntax, and the various options and parameters that you can use to fine tune their behavior.
Speaker 1: So it's like a dictionary of Ansible tools exact. Any other advice from the study guide.
Speaker 2: One of the most important pieces of advice okay that the study Guide emphasizes is the importance of hands on practice. Okay, you can't just read about ansable, you need to actually use it to really solidify your understanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, practice makes perfect exactly. So how does the study guide suggest getting that hands on experience?
Speaker 2: So the study Guide strongly recommends setting up your own virtual lab environment. Can use tools like virtual box or Vagrant to create virtual machines that you can then manage with antsable. Okay, yeah, so this gives you a safe and controlled environment.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm not going to break anything exactly for my production environment.
Speaker 2: And the study guide even provides sample playbooks oh cool, and configurations that you can use as starting points for your lab exercises.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great.
Speaker 2: It gives you that foundation to build on. It helps you get up and running quickly.
Speaker 1: So the key takeaway here is really just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, roll up your sleeves, roll up my sleeves, get your hands dirty.
Speaker 1: And get my hands dirty with ansable ansable exactly. The more I practice, the more comfortable you'll become. Yeah. Yeah, if we kind of connect all this back to the bigger picture. Okay, this deep dive has really highlighted the value of antsible absolutely, not just as like a powerful automation tool, but as a stepping stone to a successful career in it. Absolutely because it's such an in demand skill.
Speaker 2: It's a very in demand skill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ansible skills are in high demand across a wide range of industries, and as more organizations are adopting DevOps practices and embrace automation, ANSABLE expertise is becoming increasingly valuable and.
Speaker 1: The race certification is really respected. It is. So it's a good thing, very much so to have on your resume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it validates your skills to potential employers.
Speaker 1: Okay, So learning ANSABLE and pursuing the certification, it's really a smart investment in your future.
Speaker 2: It is, and As automation continues to play a more central role in the IT landscape, those ansible skills are only going to become more sought after.
Speaker 1: It's only going to become more.
Speaker 2: Valuable, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, Well, I think we've given you a really solid overview I think so of ansable and how it can be used for everything from basic system administration to complex deployments. Absolutely, and we've explored some valuable insights from the study guide that will hopefully help you prepare for the race exam. Yes, and maybe even launch a successful career I hope so in IT automation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've covered a lot of ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 2: Hopefully this deep dive has parked your curiosity, ark your curiosity and inspired you to dive deeper.
Speaker 1: Dive deeper into the world of antsable. I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all the time we have for today's deep dive into ansable. We hope you found it informative and engaging. If you're ready to take your ansible skills to the next level, we highly recommend checking out the study guide we discussed today, and don't forget to explore the vast resources available on ansable galaxy until next time, happy automating