Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Don't let all this commercialism ruin my Christmas KOSTHD two Los Angeles Sorange County.
Speaker 3: I'll take this.
Speaker 4: SLU tree home and decorated and I'll show them it really will work in our plan. I never thought it was such a bad little tree.
Speaker 5: It's not bad at all.
Speaker 3: Really, maybe it just needs.
Speaker 6: A little love.
Speaker 7: Johnnie Brown is a blockhead, but he did get a nice tree.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up.
Speaker 8: Call, Mary Christmas Brown.
Speaker 2: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, December tewod. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the Iheat Radio App. Thanks so much for getting your day started with us today. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. So we're starting with with Charlie Brown because Christmas is here where you know. It's fair game. Now we've passed. There's no holidays left until the big one. I didn't get nearly as much done as I had planned. I had Friday off, and so I was like, I'm going to get everything decorated.
Speaker 7: I'm going to get my Christmas tree.
Speaker 1: I got the decorations out, I got some of them up, but I didn't get the tree.
Speaker 7: But I'll do that this week. And also, if you are.
Speaker 1: Doing your shopping, five fewer shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year then last, not to put any pressure on you. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. President Biden has pardoned his son Hunter. He said in a statement yesterday that no reasonable person who looked at the facts in his cases can reach a conclusion that Hunter wasn't singled out only because he is the President's son. The pardon covers both his conviction on charges and federal tax evasion charges. We're going to be talking more with Karen Travers about that to find out what else it covers.
Speaker 7: That's coming up at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: A man has been killed in an officer involved shooting in Santa Anna. The man, in his early thirties was shot by two officers last night. Police say the man appeared to be holding a loaded rifle, but it turned out to be a fake. It's not clear what led to the shooting. People filled their plates and their shopping carts over the Thanksgiving weekend Black Friday, online shopping has set a new record high of ten point eight billion dollars in sales. Adobe Analytics says that's more than double what online consumers spent in twenty seventeen, and it 'tis the season for holiday scammers. ABC's Jim Riyan's going to let us know how to protect your money from Christmas grenches. That's coming up at five twenty. How your money can go five times further in taking care of dogs and cats at Pasadena Humane as they get ready for their forever homes. We'll be talking with Kevin McManus from Pasadena Humane at five fifty. Also, I tried a new side dish for Thanksgiving. It's up on Instagram at Amy K. King if you want to take a look at it. It looked good, but Cono will attest to the fact that it didn't taste so great, right.
Speaker 2: Kono you You tried very.
Speaker 1: Hard because I'm always looking for new dishes for the holidays and stuff. So we tried this one and it didn't really turn out. But I'm not a quitter, so I tweaked it and we're gonna try it again. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Oh. Also, I got to carve the Thanksgiving turkey this year. It didn't go quite as planned. I'll tell you what happened. But let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. President Biden has pardoned his son Hunter, who was convicted in Maryland of federal gun charges and was due to be sentenced this month. The younger Biden had also pleaded guilty to tax evasion in California. ABC's Karen Travers's The pardon was announced last night, despite the White House having repeated said the President had no intentions of doing it.
Speaker 3: President Biden has not spoken about his son Hunter's legal issues, but in his statement Sunday night, he says it was quote clear that Hunter was treated differently by federal prosecutors.
Speaker 1: In June, President Biden said he would abide by the jury's decision in Hunter's felony gun trial. The LAPD says a woman who hasn't been seen since she missed her connecting flight at LAX November eighth, intentionally missed the flight. Her family says her phone last pinged at LAX on November eleventh. She was supposed to be headed back east. Hanna Kobayashi's father was in town. He jumped off a parking structure and died last week near the airport.
Speaker 7: Hannah Kobias she is still missing.
Speaker 1: A brush fire that burned nearly three hundred acres near Fontana has been surrounded. The fire started Thursday afternoon and was pushed into Riverside County by strong winds that led to an evacuation warning for parts of Harrupa Valley. The evacuation warning was lifted shortly after noon Friday. The fire department had the fire one hundred percent surrounded as of la last night. Highway three point thirty into San Bernardino into the Mountains has reopened. It was closed in September because of damage from the wildfire that burned nearly forty four thousand acres. The road offers a shorter route to Running Springs and Big Bear. Cal Trans has nearly completed phase one of a ten million dollar emergency project to repair the roadway, with phase two to set set to begin on Wednesday. Did you have a Turkey coma this year? We were talking about whether that whole trip to Fan thing is real, because you actually eat so little turkey. But I think it was because I got home and pretty much just passed out after Thanksgiving, So maybe it's real.
Speaker 7: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, before we delve into the new cast role, I gotta tell you about my turkey carving experience. So we had a small gathering, there were like five of us, and instead of cooking the turkey on our own this year, we ordered out.
Speaker 7: And this bird was beautiful. It came on a platter.
Speaker 1: It was perfectly gold and brown, and its little legs were sticking up in the air, and it had grapes and it was you know, I mean, it looked beautiful.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 1: We were trying to decide who was gonna carve it, and I said, well, I'll carve it because I took Martha Stewart one oh one and she I have this magazine from like twenty years ago that has how to carve the turkey, get it off the bird, and then you serve it on this platter and it's all arranged and it looks beautiful like everything that Martha Stewart does.
Speaker 7: So we went to do that and I'm like, here, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: So we get the big knife out and everybody standing around, and I start to try to carve the bird, and I'm like, is this an organic turkey or something.
Speaker 7: There's like no breast.
Speaker 1: It was just like something was off and I couldn't figure it out. So I'm trying to carve it and I'm getting like little chunks of meat and the legs weren't coming out right, and I was like, what is wrong with this bird? So after a few minutes, I went, maybe maybe it's upside down. It was the breast was on the bottom. So remember we were talking last week and Neil Savader said, no, no, don't, don't could get breastside down.
Speaker 7: You don't really need to, but it was.
Speaker 1: And so once we flipped it upright, then I was able to carve it and it turned out beautiful and it was delicious. And I will actually beg to differ with Neil on this because it was very, very very moist. It was delicious. So I started out looking kind of stupid because I'm like, I could carve the diurky and then I'm like, where's the breast? But it all worked out great and it tastes good. Speaking of tasting good, as you know, we tried the recipe that I found on Instagram. It's a miracle whip, jello, apple sauce, cranberry surprise. And we tried it on Thanksgiving morning to see if maybe this was going to be a new tradition. And ConA and I were the only ones here and uh, ConA, what what was your reaction to what we what we made? E?
Speaker 2: It was? Uh, it was tart. It was quite tart. Yeah, and it had a was it the mirror had? I love miracle whip. That's just why it's odd because I thought it would be good and it was not.
Speaker 7: It was not. It was not. It looked good.
Speaker 1: It came out of its little mold and again it's on Instagram at am Ka King if you want to take a look at it. But it didn't taste good. So then we said we gotta try again. I'm gonna I'm not giving up on this recipe because there were some good parts to it, like the apple sauce in it actually was kind of tasty. The cranberries were kind of good. So here's what I did. I took out the miracle whip and I put in cool whip, so it's whipped cream. So time for a new taste test, and we have Oscar in here this morning. He's gonna taste it. I'm gonna taste it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very nervous.
Speaker 1: Don't be nervous. Okay, here we go. I cut it up and it's actually holding its form better too. It's not collapsing like it did on Thursday.
Speaker 7: Dumb.
Speaker 2: Now that I can do see, it's much better. Right, Okay, it is way better.
Speaker 1: So we'll put the recipe on it, we'll post it on Instagram. Oscar, you're not trying yours. You did it, you liked it. Okay, So the difference was again it's strawberry jello, apple sauce, cranberry sauce, and whip cool whip instead of miracle whip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one. This one's delicious.
Speaker 7: Really, so like you would eat this at Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's going in to see cons think the apple and the jello or not overpowering, But I don't know. It's a very delicious treat right now.
Speaker 7: It doesn't have that miracle whip funk. And I'm too. I love miracle whip, but it was not good in this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe they meant to say cool whip.
Speaker 7: No, because they kept showing the miracle Whip jars. Go and get another can of miracle whip.
Speaker 2: This things.
Speaker 7: We did.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you're looking for a new side dish, we'll put a picture of it on Instagram.
Speaker 7: You can see it.
Speaker 1: It actually tasted good. I'm so excited. Now when can I make it? I'm gonna have to wait a whole year. I guess I could make it at Christmas, because you know, there's only twenty three days till Christmas. Not to freak anybody out, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The unofficial start of the holiday shopping season is underway. Black Friday and Small Business Saturday are over, but Cyber Monday is here. Retailers say Cyber Monday is the last chance for shoppers to get those big deals. Some people say they prefer shopping from home because it's just like easier, more convenient to order online.
Speaker 7: Usually, yeah, no one like waits onlines.
Speaker 6: Amazon Death and if you get it and you don't like it, you could just send it back.
Speaker 1: Adobe Digital Analytics as Cyber Monday this year could be the biggest online shopping day in US history estimating retailers could break in thirteen point two billion dollars in sales. A man has been shot and killed near some railroad tracks in a commercial area in Vernon. Authority say the man was found unresponsive shortly after one am yesterday near the tracks on Charter Street, just south of the La River.
Speaker 7: He died at the scene.
Speaker 1: A man who has been shot and killed in Lancaster, LA Kenny Sheriff's deputies found the man in a driveway on Division Street east of Sierra Highway around one thirty yesterday morning.
Speaker 7: He died later at the hospital.
Speaker 1: LA County's new District Attorney is set to be sworn in tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Nathan Hawkman coasted a victory on election day, ousting incumbent DA George Gascone sixty to forty percent. Hawkman argued during the campaign that Gascone was soft on crime and that a new direction was needed at the DA's office. He's promised to bring a quote hard middle approach to prosecution what he calls sense of common sense and proportional. Hawkman swearing in is scheduled for noon on Tuesday outside the Hall of Justice in downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The White House has responded to a video that appears to show an American hostage in Gaza.
Speaker 5: They called the release of the video a cruel reminder of Hamas's terror against citizens of multiple countries, including our own.
Speaker 1: ABC's and As de laic Terra says Hamas released the video showing American hostage Aiden Alexander speaking to the camera. Alexander was taken hostage during the October seventh attack while serving in the IDF near Gaza. There has been broad condemnation of the video by US lawmakers. House Speaker Mike Johnson has mapped out the Republicans' plans for the first one hundred days of the incoming administration. Republicans control the House and the Senate, but ABC's Reclin says the numbers are going to make things really difficult, especially in the House.
Speaker 9: If the current results hold, then Republicans will have secured a two hundred and twenty to two hundred and fifteen advantage in the next Congress.
Speaker 6: That's actually two more Democrats than who serve right down.
Speaker 1: Kleine says, that's the tightest governing majority in almost a century. Stilantis CEO Carlos Taveres has stopped down our step down rather after nearly four years in the top spot of the jeep and ram maker, the world's fourth largest car maker, has been struggling with flumping sales.
Speaker 7: It says the.
Speaker 1: Board accepted Tavar's resignation yesterday as head of PSA Pougeot Tavares took over the Netherlands based company in January of twenty one when it merged with Fiat Chrysler. It's North American operations had been the company's main source of profits. The owner of an Irish pub in Fountain Valley is asking for his sign back.
Speaker 2: Bring the sign back, no questions asked.
Speaker 1: Bill Madden, who owns Silky Sullivan's Restaurant and Irish pub, tells KTLA somebody swiped the sign from behind the business on Friday.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make any sense to me, because what are they going to do with it?
Speaker 6: They say, Oh, I got Silkie sign in my backyard.
Speaker 2: If anyone sees it, they'll go there. They're looking for that sign. They want that sign.
Speaker 1: The sign was under a tarp while the pub moved to a new place across the street. President Biden has gone back on his pledge not to pardon his son, announcing in a statement yesterday that he will pardon Hunter. Biden said he believed Hunter was singled out because he's the president's son, and that's wrong. The pardon will also cover his conviction on gun charges and on federal tax evasion charges. We're gonna talk more with Karen Travers about this in about less than fifteen minutes. The World Central Kitchen has paused its operations in Gaza following an Israeli attack on one of its vehicles that killed several workers, and Israeli official accused one of the workers in the vehicle of being a terrorist connected to last year's October seventh attack on Israel. Mowana has sailed into the first spot at the box office with a Thanksgiving holiday weekend record two hundred and twenty one million dollars in five days. Wicked took in as much in its second weekend as in its first, with over one hundred and seventeen million dollars in ticket sales. Gladiator two was third at six oh five. It's handle on the news Bible sales are surging. Bill's going to tell you why, but right now, let's check in with ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, the holiday shopping season has arrived. There was Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and as I just mentioned, today is Cyber Monday. And this season you might not only find good deals, you might find out you got scammed.
Speaker 9: And that's where the Grinch comes in, right, Yeah, you are a mean one, mister Grinch. And those stammers are out there. They know that thirteen billion dollars will be spent today. Thirteen billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Just today, just today.
Speaker 1: Guys, over the Monday, over the weekend, they were saying it was like ten point eight it's huge.
Speaker 9: Adobe Analytics. Yeah, they're expecting consumers to spend about thirteen point two billion today. That's six percent more than last year, which would be the season, the year's biggest shopping day for e commerce. Not too surprising there, but yeah, those scammers know that there are profits to be taken out there, and so they're willing to take consumers. So, and one of the most pipelines right now, and you've probably goten one of these amy This the text message that says, hey, you've got a package that we need to deliver to you. We're the Postal service. Please click on the link below and give us your proper address and building information, et cetera. And it's time just perfectly to coincide with this season when so many people are ordering things online, expecting things to be delivered by the Postal Service or by ups, and so they get this text that says, oh man, my package is sitting there and they can't deliver it to me, and unfortunately people fall for it. You can see how that would be fairly, you know, believable. It stands the reason that you'd be expecting a package and maybe get this note from the postal service.
Speaker 2: Well, postal service.
Speaker 9: Doesn't do that, doesn't send text messages out to say that they need extra information to make their delivery. And so not only is it victim I consumers, it's also victimizing the post office because suddenly people don't want to do business with the post office.
Speaker 1: Well, and here's the other thing, is I do get notifications when I'm getting a package.
Speaker 9: Delivered, Yes, yeah, legitimate one saying yeah, or even a picture of the package being delivered right, or the letter or whatever.
Speaker 2: The postal service offers that as a service.
Speaker 9: But you just have to be very very careful and not click links on anything that's called a smishing scam because it's an SMS message as opposed to a phishing scam, which is.
Speaker 7: An email gotcha.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when they do that, though, what are they doing? Are they hacking into your system or are they trying to get your personal information so they can steal it.
Speaker 9: They're getting you to hand it over to them, right, because this text comes to you and they need your address and your billing information, your credit card information to make this delivery happen. And so you provide it to them. You hand it over and next thing you know, that information is your credit card being compromised. People are using it, it's being sold on a dark web. It just have to be extremely careful about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are some of the other scams that are out there? Because I've seen that USPS one several times.
Speaker 9: Actually, that's ridiculous. The puppy scam, this is a good one. Let's say you want to give your kids a puppy for Christmas, and so you find something on Facebook, Marketplace or on Craig's List or something. People still use Craigslist, I guess they do, and you give money over and there's no product, there's no puppy there that it's kind of been used to refer to all sorts of scams that do that, that offer a product, whether it's a puppy or something else, a car, a lawn more, or whatever it is that you're purchasing and then there is no seller, there's no deal, but you have lost your money. They call that overall kind of the puppy scam.
Speaker 1: And do we have any guestimates on like how bad it is like by the numbers?
Speaker 9: Hard to say because people aren't willing to talk about.
Speaker 1: That, right if they're getting rich scam, you're like, uh, I don't want to tell anybody.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's embarrassing and you're afraid you might get scammed again somehow. But I mean specific scams like the non payment, non delivery scams, the puppy scam. They cost consumers three hundred nine million dollars last year. Credit card fraud accounted for one hundred and seventy three million dollars in losses according to the FBI's Internet Complaint Center. And they're the ones that you can complain to if something like this happens to you, make sure you contact your bank, contact your credit card company, and yeah, you reach out to the FBI's complaint center too.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what are some others like? Are there any hard and fast rules to protect yourself?
Speaker 9: Yes, before you even log on, check your antivirus software. Make sure that that is up to date so your computer is protected from people trying to hack in. Make sure you're typing in the URLs correctly. Let's say you want to go to Walmart dot com and do some shopping there, and you leave out the the A for example wl M A R T something, you miss it by a letter. Well, the scammers have the mark on all of those websites, the ones that are misspelled, right, They probably have a wlmart dot com And if you mistype it, you're gonna end up at their site and spending money with them that you won't be getting ato merchandise. But you've given them your credit card information.
Speaker 1: Again, and it reminds me of I think we were talking about after the hurricane, to make sure that you went to the right Red Cross.
Speaker 9: Yes, and that's relevant because tomorrow is Giving Day, Tuesday, Giving Tuesday, Right, we had Black Friday, we had Saturday, Small Business, Small Business, Saturday, Cyber Monday. Tomorrow is Giving Tuesday, and so people will be giving to charity. So again, yeah, I'd be very careful that, for example, you go to Redcross dot org instead of Redcross dot com or something.
Speaker 7: All right, So just keep an eye out, be vigilant.
Speaker 9: Yeah, or unplug all your electronics, turn off the light and go to the store. Yeah, grow up in a corner and cry.
Speaker 7: We're not doing that.
Speaker 1: And I mentioned this earlier, but there are five fewer shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year than last since Thanksgiving was so.
Speaker 9: Late, right, It's just the order shorter window, and so people are probably spending more during each trip.
Speaker 7: All right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Speaking of giving, the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon is upon us. Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California. Your generosity is what makes it happen. So here's how you can help. You can donate or bid on exclusive KFI auction items now at kfiam six forty dot com slash Pastathon. You can shop at any Smart and Final store and donate any amount at checkout, or you can go to Wendy's all of the Wendy's in southern California and make a donation. If you donate five dollars or more, you'll get a coupon book that's worth fifteen bucks. And of course we want you to join us tomorrow. It's Giving Tuesday. We're going to be at the Anaheim White House. We're broadcasting live all day from five am, starting with wakeup Call through Bill Handle, Gary and Shannon, John Colbelt, of course Tim Conway Junior, and wrapping it up with Moe Kelly. Come see us. You can make a donation on site. You can drop off your pasta and your sauce donations. Again, we could not do this without you, and it helps thousands of children every single week. One hundred percent of your donation goes to Katerina's Club. Thanks so much. You can find all the details kfi AM six forty dot com slash Pastathon Can't Wait Prayer Vigil's been held for a nine year old boy who was shot and killed in Compton over the weekend. Police say Princeton Jones was shot in front of his grandparents home on Haskins Avenue Saturday. Police haven't re released any information on the shooter or said whether anyone has been arrested, but they are expected to release some more details today. California lawmakers are going to be sworn into office in Sacramento today, even though two races in the state have not yet been decided. Normally, the swearing in ceremony would be pretty much it, but this year a special session is also being convened. Governor Newsom called for it. He says it's to safeguard the state against Trump administration policies that he says will target California. Christmas has come early for Hollywood, as moviegoers spent a record four hundred twenty million dollars at the movies over the five day Thanksgiving weekend. Mawana two led the way with its own Thanksgiving record two hundred and twenty one million in ticket sales at.
Speaker 7: Six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handle on the news. President elect Trump is switching things up at the FBI f I fifty Pasadena Humane is taking care of the animals as they wait for their forever homes. How your donation on Giving Tuesday will go five times as far. We'll be telling you about that, but right Now let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers.
Speaker 7: Karen, we have a presidential pardon.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: The President last night issued a statement saying that he is pardoning his son Hunter, which just a couple of weeks left in office. For the president, this was something he had said he would not do, something he told ABC's David Yor back in June he had ruled out. But the President and his statement, said that his son had been selectively and unfairly prosecuted. He believed that there had been raw politics infecting the process, he said, and it led to a miscarriage of justice. And the President ended his statement by saying, I hope Americans will understand why a father and a president would come to this decision.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Hunter pleaded guilty to the tax evasion charges in Los Angeles and was supposed to be sentenced I think December sixteenth. And then the other thing that he's being pardoned for is for illegally having the gun, which is also a federal gun charge. Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was convicted in June on federal gun charges. He had lied on a federal form about his drug addiction when he bought a gun in twenty eighteen. So this pardon covers those charges, both of them federal charges, but also any uncharged crimes between fourteen and twenty twenty four. So it is a sweeping pardon. And you know, I think there's a lot of question then for the legal experts about, you know, whether or not the president was concerned that there would be more to come in a Trump administration. You know, the president elect had been very critical of Hunter Biden and the Biden family in general and promising, you know, retribution for political enemies. But the President in his statement last night said quote, there's no reason to believe it will stop here.
Speaker 7: Enough is enough, okay.
Speaker 1: And I'm curious as to how you pardon something that you haven't been charged with.
Speaker 3: Presidents can do that to kind of cover things that have.
Speaker 7: Not come And is that has that happened before?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd have to go back and look and see how that's been done. I think this has been done before. I don't know, like i'd actually look and see exactly when. But yes, I don't think this is unprecedented, Okay.
Speaker 1: And as you mentioned, he had said several times, I'm not going to pardon him. I'm going to follow what the Justice Department says. Courine Jean Pierre came out. No, no, no, it's not happening. There's no way. I don't think there's anybody who's really surprised that he did. But what's the reaction, because I can imagine the Republicans are having a field day right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's been mixed. I think, you know, you even have some Democrats who have questioned the President doing this, saying, you know, it's not the right move for him to make. The governor of Colorado said that. But then you know allies of the president saying he's a dad and that this was an unfair prosecution of Hunter, that he was being targeted simply for what his last name was and who he was. I think the big question for the White House today and President's traveling right now is what changed. The legal circumstances didn't change, So when did the timeline for the president change and what made him change his decision?
Speaker 7: Okay, so what happens next?
Speaker 1: I mean with the statement, does that mean that he is pardoned or that there will be pardoned?
Speaker 3: Okay, this superficial last night, and he will not serve any of the jail time that he was facing when he was going to be sentenced later this month. In both of those cases, he will face none of that jail time.
Speaker 7: Okay. ABC's Karen Travers, thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Thanks all, right, talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. South Pasadena police detective criticized over an alleged Nazi gesture has resigned, so.
Speaker 8: Los Angeles Times reports and Mark Lillianfeld left his job last week after a police investigation found he violated department rules. The allegations stem from a training session hosted by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in twenty twenty three, where Lilianfeld was a lecturer.
Speaker 1: Kfis Mark Mayfield says Lilianfield allegedly made several racist comments and threw his arm up in a Nazi like salute. The Sheriff's department investigation included a do not re hire designation. A jerry in New York is sent to hear closing arguments in the trial of a marine veteran charged with killing a homeless man on the subway after putting him in a choke hold. A kfi's Natalie Migliori says Daniel Penny is charged with manslaughter and negligent homicide for the death of Jordan Neely last year. Prosecutors said Penny went way too far when he tried to protect fellow passengers from Neely, who was allegedly threatening people. The defense has disputed the medical examiner's determination of the cause of death. They say Neeley's death was not consistent with a choke hold because he never lost consciousness before he died. The defense claims Neely died of a combination of factors, including his sickle cell trait, schizophrenia, the struggle and restraint by Penny, and also k two in intoxication. Three people have been sent to the hospital following a massive house fire in the high Desert.
Speaker 6: Two our v's were also impacted by the fire. Two elderly people and a young adult somehow managed to safely get out of the house. They had minor to serious injuries when first responders got there and were taken to the hospital. Fire officials in Apple Valley are trying to figure out what sparked the fire, which occurred at three thirty Sunday morning. Witnesses say that they heard multiple pro paint tanks explode. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: A hospital in San Bernardino is asking for the public's help in identifying a man found unconscious in a motel six. Doctors at Saint Bernardine Medical Center say he was brought into the hospital last month. He's Hispanic in his forties, five foot six, with brown hair and black eyes. He remains in critical condition. A house fire in Elmonte has left seventeen people out of their homes. Alifire says the fire started shortly after noon yesterday on Penmar Avenue in two town homes. The fire put up a huge plume of black smoke. It spread into a third town home through the attic. Took firefighters about a half hour to put the fires out. So much for neither snow nor rain, nor heat nor gloom of night, You know the post office motto. The US Postal Service has suspended mail service to Canada. Canadian postal workers are on strike. The USPS said the temporary suspension is going to affect priority express mail, first class mail, and package international service to Canada until further noticed. The ninety second Hollywood Christmas Parade has made its way through the streets of Hollywood. Mayor of Kingstown and Avengers star Jeremy Runner served as the Grand Marshal. If you're not one of the thousands who lined the three point two mile route last night, you can watch the parade. It'll air on the CW December fifteenth. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, people spent as I mentioned, a record amount of dollars on Black Friday. What the heck did they buy? Bill's going to tell you. Right now, let's say good morning to Pasadena Humane's PR and communications manager and our friend Kevin McManus. Good morning, Kevin, Good morning.
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Fabulous, fabulous And you're getting ready for a big day because tomorrow is a big day for Pasadena Humane because it's Given Tuesday and when they donate for Giving Tuesday, there's a bonus.
Speaker 4: That's right. We were really excited about this. We have a mega match going on, a mega so every Yeah, I can't really figure out the math myself, but they have you know, degrees are required for this, but now, seriously, a one dollar donated will be matched up to it turns into five dollars through magic. And so we have the opportunity to if we can raise one hundred thousand dollars tomorrow and give you tuesday, then we'll a donor will match that four times, so we'll you know, be in line for half a million dollars tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, okay, And you'll take any donation amount or is there set amounts.
Speaker 7: Is it that's come time or monthly.
Speaker 4: Or how do you do it one time? Any amount helps, any amount goes to get us to that that one hundred thousand dollars to get that match, okay.
Speaker 7: And what does that money go.
Speaker 4: To, Kevin, Oh my gosh, all of the programming that we do for animals in our community all year long. So everything from animals at the shelter who are waiting for adoption, lost some sound pets who need to get back home.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, we have an extensive veterinary program at the shelter, So any animal that comes to us that's injured or hurt or in any way, we can help fix them. And that's actually what you know. The poster dog for our match this year is is dog named Moto, who required quite a bit of extension, extensive vet care. What happened about, Oh my gosh, he came in. He had this giant it turned out to be a four pound mass on his leg. That yeah, it was thankfully it was benign, but we had to remove we like I had a removed this thing. It was like the size of the softball. And this poor guy, he was having trouble walking. He wasviously in pain. But they successfully remove the mass and he's fitted with this cool little boot that helps him walk around. Just the nerve damage from the mass. Really, yeah, it will affect him forever, but you know, he's now walking around pain free, which is thanks to thanks to donors who have really helped us care for animals like Moto all year long.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's good to know that it's not only going to pay for taking care of the animals who are waiting for their forever homes, but also animals who need your help.
Speaker 7: It might you know, they might not.
Speaker 4: Get exactly Okay, yeah, yeah, and sorry, I'm just going to mention to that point exactly. One of our programs that helps fund is our Helping Pause program where folks in the community who have pets can come to us, and you know we can help in some way sometimes with that care or pet food things that will help them keep their pets at home.
Speaker 1: I love that, okay, And we would be remiss if we didn't only talk about raising money to care for the animals, but also the animals who are being taken care of while they wait for their forever homes. So, like, what kinds of dogs and cats do we have available for anybody who might be just kind of leaning turtle?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 4: Well, we we have, always, always, we have dogs and cats who are waiting for and in need of forever homes. We always we have rabbits, We have hamsters, guinea pigs, you name it. Any animal that comes to our door from our area, we'd be taken and house until they find their forever home. I am lucky enough to have just adopted two cats from us least a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, yeah, And so they're running around keeping me entertained and got me up earlier that I even hoped for.
Speaker 1: You didn't even need So did you get adult cats or did you get younger ones?
Speaker 4: There are both adults, one a year and that actually wanted a little bit younger, she's probably about six months, but also needed that care from our team, and I, you know, seeing her nearly every day, I fell in love and couldn't let her sit at shelter for one day. For the longer.
Speaker 9: I love that.
Speaker 7: You know, if I worked and if I had your job, I'd have fifty cats for.
Speaker 4: Sure, No kidding. It's been quite a battle of wills.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Kevin, now you mentioned that you got one, that it's younger, but it's not a brand new kitten. What are some of the advantages Because I know that there are wonderful adult cats there that are there and they're not as attractive necessarily to people because I think, oh, I want a kitten or I want a puppy. What's the advantages of having an adult dogger cat?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm living this like one hundred percent right now. Like the adult cat is so much more mature, he's so much cleaner, he's you know, completely letterbox trained, just you know, in his personality. We fell in love with his personality because he was just super affectionate. Now going at the shelter, that's exactly what we got, you know. So there's that that benefit of you know, having a lot of of knowledge of how that animal, whether it be a dog or cat or anything, will behave in there in your home. It's kind of like you' vetted a right exactly. Yeah. So the littler one is, you know, a challenge, a loving challenge. But just she's the reason I'm up this sort. He was asleep, you know, curled up next to my feet.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But when they're grown, you're going to and that's part of the fun of having a kitten.
Speaker 7: But you know, like you they The other thing that I.
Speaker 1: Think about adopting an adult cat is I swear because I got, well I got I've gotten two cats from shelters now. But the first one I got was Cassandra, and she knew that I rescued her, like you know that they realize it, and you know, it just creates an even stronger bond with you.
Speaker 7: Like the kittens are like whatever.
Speaker 2: But the adult cats better.
Speaker 1: I really think that they get it. And I think probably dogs too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh, I think even more so with dogs. You know, you know, they're you know, there's a you know, cats can because of their independent nature, you know, I mean, that's you know, just who they are. But dogs they do kind of rely on people more than cats do, and so they you know, when they're in a shelter, they're often very confused. They have definitely been in a home before, so it's you know, it can be really troubling and anxiety and inducing for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you can help Pasadena Humane take care of those dogs and those cats and those puppies and they and kittens until they get into their forever home and also maybe help somebody like Moto who needs some extra help. Where can we donate for giving Tuesday and again tell us about the match.
Speaker 4: Well, it's all you can, of course, send a check if you want to come buy the shelter, drop off cash, you know whatever, or do it online. That's obviously the easiest for everybody. It's passing in humane dot org. There's as soon as you open that page, there will be a pop up for the match. And yeah, like I said, anything that is donated before midnight tomorrow and it's already started to be honest, so you know, we're hoping for a big push tomorrow. But you know, anything, anything helps to get us to that match, and it's through midnight tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Love it and your money goes like five times as farst it doesn't get any.
Speaker 7: Better than that.
Speaker 1: When you're thinking about giving Tuesday, think about Pasadena Human Kevin McManus. I hope you get tons and tons of dollars, and I hope you get lots of dogs and cats adopted this holiday season.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, take care and just like that, our time is up. As I mentioned again, if you want to check out the reconfigured Jello Cranberry cast roles. Surprise it worked this time. Cono gives it two thumbs up. It's going to be up on Instagram at Amy Kking. It's actually pretty good. I just might make it again. This is KFI and KOSDHD two Los Angeles, Orange County south Land weather from KFI a mix of sun and clouds. Highs around seventy at the beaches Metro LA and Inlan, Orange County load upper seventies for the valleys and ie sixties in the Antelope Valley, becoming mostly cloudy tonight with those in the forties and fifties. Those clouds are going to hang around tomorrow morning and then clear out for the afternoon. With heis in the sixties at the coast, metro areas and high desert sixties to seventies for the valleys and Ie about the same for Wednesday, and then we'll warm up into the upper sixties to upper seventies toward the end of the week. It's forty five and Diamond Bar forty nine in Newport Beach, thirty four in Palmdale, forty nine in Aliso Via, Ho. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wickup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.