Speaker 1: Hi, I want to welcome back to the nonprofits. So we have a new hope. Everybody fantastic.
Speaker 2: Also, the Pope has some political opinions that he has to get off of his noggin, so we're going to go to Cyndy with that information.
Speaker 3: So Cindy, go ahead, let's talk about the new Pope.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know, I've always been puzzled at the Pope's popularity. I mean, I understand the history, the weight of the one point three billion people Catholics in the world, the ridiculous theater behind their election, but still it's still puzzling to me. Anyway, let me introduce you to the new pope that got elected last week. Meet Robert Francis Prevost aka Pope Leo fourteen. He is the first US citizen elected to that position, and the entire media ecosystem is trying to read a hidden miss meaning into it. So let's dive into it. This story is from Yeah We News by Andrew Romano May nine five.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, as a former Catholic, I have okay, even though I hate the Catholic Church, there's kind of a romanticism for my childhood with the pope. So we're just gonna there's that going on. So the former Pope pro frances was like trying to be okay with queer people, but which was kind of like, yeah, I know, and it seems that this pope is also may want to portray, you know, portray the same message or betray depending on your views. Also as well that being said, do you now I'm gonna bring this around to you, Sidney, do you think that this might be a ploy as I said earlier this week about like, you know, the Catholic church numbers going down and maybe me being more appealing for people living in twenty twenty five asking Sydney.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I thought you said, Steven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I probably maybe I did. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Like I said, everyone is trying to to see a employee behind this UH, this this election. I'm not supposed to say this, but I don't really care, to be honest. I mean, whether they are trying to appeal to UH, to the US, or maybe they're trying to put pressure on Trump, or whether whatever explanation people can can come up with in this situation. I I don't think it's relevant because I personally find this Pope to be rather boring. Everything I read on him preparing for for for this article show that he's he's middle of the road. That's how they used to describe him in the article, And I don't know what to think of him. Of course, the Catholic Church remains the worst criminal institution in the world, and I don't believe it can change enough to ever catch up to the rest of society. So this pope seems to trigger hope in some people. Not me, but some people. And just like others before him, he'll just express his will to progress in a couple of topics and nothing will really change, and he'll still be conservative on most topics, and people in the world will keep suffering because of this criminal institution, like victims of AIDS in Africa, gay in trant people everywhere, abuse, nuns, children, all those categories of people have been harmed in a way or other by the Catholic Church. Regarding this specific pope, I would like to say that there's been some allegations of cover up about sexual abuse in children. I added an article in the description. Well, we added a description an article in the description of this video that will give more context to this and apparently some people say that he's done a lot to prevent abuse and report abuse that was happening. So regarding this very specific point, I think we should be where we to not jump to conclusions and wait until we have more information. But in any case, the Pope is not the issue. The Catholic Church is.
Speaker 2: I agree, like and EJ, I want to kind of intrg you because like, I kind of feel this way too about like the new Pope being an American. This is not something I expected, and though he has said some critical things about the current administration, but also I do know the Catholic Church pass afflirtations with authoritarian governments, which that's something you should all note.
Speaker 1: So I was kind of getting your feeling, like, why does this feel odd?
Speaker 2: It feels odd to a lot of people about him being an American, and you know the kind of vibe that's going on right now with him.
Speaker 3: So I would love to hear your opinion on that.
Speaker 5: It feels odd to me for a couple of reasons, one of which is for a lot of cultural reasons. The pope has almost always been European, given the for a lot of the Catholic Church's history Europe was where everything that affected the Catholic Church happened, whether it be good things or a bad things, mainly bad things fairy years war. I know that it's someone who has from a different content. It feels about odd that I'm opposed to change in the Catholic Church, because I would like to change as much as possible, although I do wonder how the US, given that has the largest group Protestants out of any country in.
Speaker 6: The world, will deal with it.
Speaker 5: Will they be happy? Will they be sad? It's the US, so I imagine a lot of mixed feelings. However, I do have one thing to note about him that is quite funny that I found out on accident, not researching. He apparently had a fling when he was nineteen with someone from Chicago. So that means there might be someone out there who's done the pope, which, if so, that is the best brag anyone could ever.
Speaker 6: Have going for the pope.
Speaker 2: Mobile y so, and in a minute, I'm going to hear I'm going to just share some weird po factoids that I feel like I need to share.
Speaker 1: But saving but you had.
Speaker 6: A thought, fought, what's like, what do you think forty five would have done if the Pope was a person of color, what what would have what would have gone on in his racist little brain? Like would he have like completely Like we already know that a lot of American Catholics uh were pulling away from Pope Francis because of his progressive stance, because they because the America has this current uh riding a wave of conservativism, and so they'd sooner listen to popular media Catholic of figures rather than listen to the pope. So there was already a divide happening there. And if if the if the Pope would have been a person of color, would forty five have just like like, I don't think he would have like publicly derided him, but I think, uh, like I wonder, yeah, how how how deep would that have divide have gone? And conversely, how much yeah, how much reconciliation will Vatican City see with America? Because okay, we've got one of europe people on our team. Now that that gets us something right.
Speaker 2: So uh, just though it's odd that the Pope is American, I just want to pope. You know, some popes in the past, one put corps on trial, another one had orgies and the Vada Can. Another one had three popes have father children. One pope was a woman and another pope sold the papacy and then try to buy it back. Some popes had executioners on their staff, and Pope Leo the tenth Blue.
Speaker 3: Church money on a pet elephant.
Speaker 2: So if you look at pope facts, I recommend weird pope facts.
Speaker 5: The pope I can add something kind of even weirder with the pope he was the head of a standing army. The Vacans say had an army, not like not tectonic knights either. They used guns, they used ruling blog right, and they are marked with Questionian inscriptions. It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my life, and yet it.
Speaker 1: Is on brand, like I mean, like, you know, if.
Speaker 2: You're gonna like your freak flag fly, you might as well do it that way. Any Oh, my goodness, weird that you can now. So anyway, okay, siddy, hi, let me get this train back on the road. So let's see, okay, So Puba Luis, Oh, you special, special man. It's a little bit skeptical about his Jean genuine belief in the reform and uh.
Speaker 1: This you know, maybe there's a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of desperation, as I mentioned before. And do you think he's going to do anything that kind of clean up the corrupt system that is like so insidiously woven into.
Speaker 1: Every aspect of the church.
Speaker 2: Like do you see him trying did you reform and trying to make it a better place?
Speaker 4: I think he will try something. Yes, I think, uh, if if what I saw in this an article is true, uh, he will try to uh to make sure that any any abuse occur occurred in the in the church will be taken care of and not just hidden or or whatever they used to do so far, He's probably going to try to do something, uh, the extent to which we we we have to to wait and see. I I don't know. It's to me, it feels like even though the Pope himself is uh is important, I think we underestimate the power of the Vatican's government. Well, if we can call it that way, all the people that are just below him and that can be extremely conservative, I think they will they will decide what happens in terms of progress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like I keep like I want to believe in the better angels of our nature and I want to think that maybe, like you know, with someone with like fresh ideas might want to like shave things up. But the way that systems work, I'm not feeling super happy about how things are going to go, especially like there was I forget who was from the papacy said that they wanted the church to go back to become more conservative. So if Publio is going to be budding head heads against that, I don't I'm not feeling super super confident about that. So anyway, hey, Stephen, let's talk about Christine's love.
Speaker 1: And do what I will aie, let's talk about that in power?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like so Leo here I'm using his chosen name, of course, is a member of the Augustine Order. And I'm only a little bit familiar of what the different orders mean. Like I guess there's the Franciscans and the Jesuits and then the Augustines. Augustine's being named after August of Hippo. And I remember when I was a Christian trying to struggle through my faith. One quote that was from August really stuck out to me, and I was like, love God and do what you will. Just that that freedom, Okay, once you have your If loving God is your main priority, if that one comes first, then what your will will bleed out from that goodness? And then I was really digging with that and trying to before I had to like really double down on inerrancy and whatnot, Like if if that is you know, a mantra that he sluck to assume, assuming that he could have joined any order, the fact that he chose the Augustinians US, you know, that speaks to someone who you know has a priority of of loving people and doing what is right before the dogma of legislating what is right. That that you know, I don't I don't know much about all the other orders, but it seems like there is a worse you know, fraternity for is it like a fraternity. It seems like there'd be a worse fraternity that he could have been coming out from.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a it's a fraternity, silly hats, That's what it is. That's very pretty much they SoJ how as a as a as a Scot like, I have definitely felt the effects of the church here in the United States.
Speaker 3: I was brought up Catholic, as Catholic, which is his own.
Speaker 1: Brand of Catholic.
Speaker 2: So like have you experienced like not only the church within Scotland, but like how are the Scots relating to this like new papacy and you know, and him being an American and you know may maybe maybe be progressive maybe.
Speaker 5: So Scotland has a very weird relation with Catholicism because a lot of people who support Catholicism in Scotland are also what would be described as Irish Republicans, which goes back to the troubles and there's a lot of complicated politics there. However, a general theme is that Irish Republicans support downtrodden people. So people like the Palestinians, an Irish Republican would be very fond of issue, is not a lot of Americans are, especially not higher up. So if it comes out that now, hopefully he sticks to his guns and he says that he sticks to what Pope Francis was doing and supporting Palestine and the meaningful way. If he doesn't, I feel there might, especially in the UK, be a very big stink made about it, because it will feel like the Pope is betraying them. Also a side note on one of the comments about how the papercy wants the new pope to roll back Catholic, to be a bit more follows him to be a bit more conservative. The pope's a direct messenger of God, another vessel messenger of God. You don't control or well, according to them, you don't control what he says or does. That's God's job. So what do you mean you want him to do this or that you shouldn't. Just let him do what he's going to do. It's God's will. Apparently, are they? I wonder if the are all the cardinals secretly atheists? So I want to.
Speaker 1: That's that's a name patterer.
Speaker 2: So I was kind of saying thing Tony, like, what is the reaction in Belgium to, you know, this American pope and his his.
Speaker 3: He's shaking things up a little, But I guess kind of, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to tell.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's been any anything specific here in Belgium regarding this pope election. There's so much anxiety and and and and fear about what Trump is going to do in the next four years that I think that the the biggest question is how will that influence Trump? Other than that, I don't see the pope having a big, big influence here.
Speaker 2: So that's that's interesting because even though like you don't think the pope has influence, I'm here in the United States, he has a lot of influence, especially because a lot of Cathlatures has become have become more political in recent years.
Speaker 1: When I was growing up.
Speaker 2: There was a whole lot of politics going on, but recently there's more people you know that's infiltrated to the evangelical approach.
Speaker 3: So it is you're seeing more than a nutrition within the Catholic Church. I don't know Steven's experience the experiencing this in Canada.
Speaker 2: I just live where religion and politics can have stop having sex with each other and they need to get a divorce and separate really really badly. So it is I mean, listen, I will just take with them in conversion therapy.
Speaker 3: Tell them then you get to be religion, you get to be politics.
Speaker 2: So how what is the effect you've been Like, are you seeing like an effect of the American pope like in Canada?
Speaker 1: And how Knneens are feeling about it? Are they kind of like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's fine, Like I think it's too early to say, like and like I'm not. I'm not especially I'm more plugged into like a Catholic community now than I ever have been before, now that I'm moving into one, and my partner was raised Catholic, so it's it's something I'm more aware of, which is good. It's not that the entire world is Mennonite or Evangelical, so it's good to get those blinders off. But I think right now it's wait and see. But there's so much chaos going on in so many other parts of the world. It's just another one of those pots that are on the stovetop that is already too full. And hopefully this one doesn't boil over as well, and hopefully this one doesn't burn. But it's it's anyone's guess to see where things go from here. Yeah, just yeah, like and and we'll see even we'll see how much impact, how much sway he even has over Catholics who like, honestly, they want to be thinking for themselves anyway, and they'll only it. It's lining up with the church is just a matter of convenience. It's not like anyone changes their mind and says, oh, well because the Pope says this, well, then I guess I'll change my mind too. People really don't like changing their mind.
Speaker 2: No, So I did want to touch on sinebo Fast that you mentioned, like the global harm that the Catholic Church has done, because they've done they've done some shy that given the harm with like you know, telling you know, Africans not to use condoms because you know in a country riddled by aides uh you know, uh, telling you know, not providing reproductive care, all.
Speaker 3: Those type of things, squarephobia abused.
Speaker 1: We can go on and on like what is should we count this is anti.
Speaker 2: Faith or anti Catholic or what maybe we should also the pope and I think also people too there speaking out even if you're a Catholic, what message should we be sending? Because we know that the Catholic Church sucks?
Speaker 1: So so what would you what would you like to see happened?
Speaker 3: Even if you are not going to leave the Catholic Church, what would you like.
Speaker 1: To see happen city?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to again, No, no, No, it's it's hard to to to see because there's so many things things wrong in introductrine of the Catholic Church that it's hard to stood to just single out something that we would like to to improve, like uh we mentioned earlier in this week the uh the the the age epidemic in in Africa, and Francis didn't do anything good with this. On the contrary, Uh, there's there's so so many things. I don't know what we could single out like this. It's it's like I said, it's it's the worst criminal organization on the planet.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Money laundering, Uh, sexual abuse, killing children, babies, raping nuns. I mean, where do you stop the list.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a Russian nestling doll.
Speaker 2: Bad Like it's just you know, it's just bad all the way down. So anyway, I don't have a way to wrap this up that's going to put this in a nice new little bowl. Just don't support the Catholic church, guys, and but support the nonprofits and like subscribe and clicking another video.
Speaker 3: Uh, look, learn more about Catholic abuse.
Speaker 1: Like do that. Everybody take care