Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on wb Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Oh, Susan, you are way too kind. Thank you very much, Susie. Always nice to hear your voice. My name is Dan Ray. I am simply Dan Ray, the Dan Ray, host of night Side. We're working through year eighteen here on WBZ in Boston and nice to have your acquaintance. Hope you with us every night. We're here every night Monday through Friday from eight until midnight, and tonight we'll take you all the way, almost all the way to Saturday morning. So I'm not in the weekend yet, but i will get you to the weekend, which is the cusp of Saturday. Rob Brooks is back in the Big Broadcast Center with this whole program emanates from I'm broadcasting remotely, and we have a very interesting program. Tonight. We'll be talking with the president of Assumption College a little bit later on beginning at nine o'clock. His name is President Greg Winer. He had a very interesting piece in the New York Times early this weekend. I actually think it was on Saturday. Colleges have to be much more honest with themselves, and of course we will talk about that. Dropping the stock market, and hopefully we'll finish tonight with a positive hour. Let's talk about something good in a week that seemed seemingly everything went bad. However, something is good that's going on out of Washington. And the big story this week might be the President's tariffs, but there's another big story and the iHeartMedia. White House Correspondent John Dekker is right now live inside the Capitol One Arena, where I understand Alex Ovechkin has at least one goal tonight. He's getting very close to Wayne Gretzky's all time scoring record. John Decker, welcome back to night'south.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me. You know, Wayne Risky actually came up to the press bots just moments ago took some questions from reporters. Hopefully here to see some history tonight. As you mentioned, you had Alex Ovetskin in the first period, four minutes into the game getting a goal, which leaves him one short of tying the all time record, two short of setting the all time record for the most goals in an NHL career. And this crowd, obviously it's a sellout. They were so excited to see that first goal.
Speaker 2: What's the score? At this point. I assume we're about into somewhere into the second period at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the end of the first intermission. It's one one h The Chicago Blackhawks tied it up within the final five minutes of the first period, So two more periods for Alex Ovechkin to make some history tonight, and I think that's what everybody is waiting for.
Speaker 2: Well, John, you're the Amores reporter, You're the white House correspondent for iHeartMedia. You're the credentialed correspondent at the White House. But you have been in Washington for quite a time, and my understanding is that you actually were in attendance when Alex Ovechkin, number one draft chocks by the Capitols. Was it in two thousand and four that he scored his first NHL goal? I was.
Speaker 3: It was exciting because he was the number one pick in the draft the year before, so his first NHL appearance here in Washington was a big deal. I was a credential media and I was in the locker room right there at ovechk locker after he had that scored his first goal in the NHL.
Speaker 2: So what sort of a you've had a chance to cover him and talk to him. And obviously he's now I think we figured thirty nine years old. Not many players other than members of the Howe family play much later than thirty nine. I have no idea how long Ovechkin's going to go, but obviously he has had an incredible career. What sort of an individual is from your up close personal observations, he certainly looks older than thirty nine. He's prematurely gray. He looks like it looks like a guy played in a senior league.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, yeah, but he worked so hard. You know, he broke his leg earlier this year, and yet he's back and he scored forty goals this year in the league. Pretty remarkable. Even Wayne Resci just moments ago called that really remarkable. To have a forty goal season in you know, age, in year thirty nine of your life. That's that's unbelievable when you think about it. And that's duration, that's longevity, and that's just goes to how skillful he is as a player.
Speaker 2: What is interesting to me, he literally broke what was his his his tibia? What was that, Dan, When you say broke his leg, he broke his tibia? Correct? Yeah, okay, correct, how do you come back that quickly? Most don't know. But if they break their leg, this in quite I don't know what he's made of. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's world class athletes that can do this. I guess that's the only explanation that I think there is for coming back from an injury like that in the same season and continuing on at a tremendous pace in terms of scoring goals. And the Capitals one of the best, if not the best team in the league right now, so they've got a lot of momentum heading into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Well, the Winnipeg Jets are going to disagree with you on that. I think at the end of the day, in Washington, w and W and the for the NHL Championship just want to come back to a Vechkin for a second, and I don't want to get anyone in any trouble. But obviously he is a Russian player. I have no idea how the Washington Capitols were able to figure out that he would be such a great player, But Russian players in the national players are scouted. Has Ovechkin to the best every year or so? Putin dawns the ice, skates and skates with some Russian hockey players and you know he scores about six or seven goals in the game. No one, no one, no one back checks on him very much. But Doeskin. If we talk about Putin, what is his relationship? You know, if you know, I don't want to get you in trouble and I want to get Akin in trouble. What can he tell us?
Speaker 3: Well, they're on a first name basis.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, Putin obviously has so much respect for Alex Ovechkin, and the feeling is vice versa. You know, I think that when you saw that invasion of Ukraine by Russia three plus years ago, I think it put Ovechkin in a very uncomfortable position, you know, in terms of answering questions regarding Russia's invasion. I think he just wants to keep it, you know, focused on sports. And as you know, with that great competition that happened earlier this year, Russia was not permitted to take part in that competition that Canada ultimately won over the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the four teams Finland, Sweden, US and Canada, and that of course had some political overtones at the end because because of the whole tariff conversation that is going on. Uh, last last question, John is akin a guy that has kept a low profile off the ice. You know, obviously a superstar like him in Washington, there's a lot of political superstars that he has to compete with, if you get my drift. Yeah, is he someone who who you see around town or does he basically work at the rink through his job and go home?
Speaker 4: What what you know?
Speaker 3: Hockey? So what do they call them rink rats? Isn't that the term? He's absolutely guy, He's he's that guy that is in the rink, that is the first person on the ice, the last player off the ice. You see it in the pregame skate.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know that's the I think the reason for his longevity. I mean, obviously his skill, but there are lots of skillful players in the NHL, and it's just by working hard that you can have such an incredibly long, productive career. And uh, you know, I think the crowd right now pretty excited because as I'm speaking, Ovechkin has the fucking the offensive end. Nothing came of that, but he's a guy that obviously keeps a low profile because he's so focused during the season on his job and helping the Capitals win and obviously adding to his voto his goal totals.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know, maybe maybe maybe the key for Ovechkin is he is a rink rat, so he gets a lot of time to inhale the zamboni fumes. And that's that's the secret, sauce. I don't know, we'll figure it out. I don't Hey, John, John Decker W. B. R. Well Iheart's White House corresponded, you got a great gig tonight up in the press box, I do real. Last question, how good was the food in the press box tonight? Anything special enough?
Speaker 3: They say, well, it was a pregame meal that they had down in the media room, and then in the press box. You know, you can get whatever you want, the potato chips, of popcorn, prestels, all.
Speaker 2: The stuff that probably has spent his career avoiding.
Speaker 3: He avoids that.
Speaker 2: After John, thanks so much. I hope you get to see a couple of more goals tonight and see some history. Gay, I've met Wayne Gretzky. I've never Metovechkin, but Gretzky is an incredible gentleman.
Speaker 3: I agree a gentleman, and it was so great to uh have an opportunity to meet him just moments ago here in the press box. And my understanding is by the way, Dan that he is going to essentially go to every Capitals game so that he's there when this record is broken. That's the reason why he's here tonight.
Speaker 2: And that is the way. That's the way the NHL does it. I am not surprised, John Decker, thank you so much. I love doing night Side, but if I had an opportunity to transform my role tonight into what you're doing, I would be at the Capitol Arena. Thanks John, enjoy yourself, you deserve it.
Speaker 1: You have a great night.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, thanks much. All right, little hockey there. We're gonna come back and talk a little bit more serious topic, and we're also going to talk with Dan Shaughnessy, Uh the Double, the Boston Globe sports writer. I no idea how many opening days Dan has attended, but I'm sure it's a lot. In the Red Sox THEYD win today, so we will celebrate that with Dan Shaughnessy. When we get back. We're going to talk about a group called the Children's Services of Roxbury has created a program called Youth Purpose and Partnership program is still thriving and has an upcoming talent showcase a week from tonight, Friday, April eleventh, We're going to talk with the communications director for the Children's Services of Roxbury. Right after the break you're listening to WBZ. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. It's not a sports program, but we got a little hockey for you, got a little baseball coming up, and we're going to have a fine time between now at midnight, as we do every night. I would remind you pull down that iHeart app. You'd be surprised what good stuff there is on the iHeart app. And you can put it on whatever devices you want. You can make us the WBZ, Boston's News Radio your preset, your number one preset. So therefore we are only a fingertip away wherever you are anywhere in the world. Three sixty five four seven Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Want to welcome Delnda iFeel Presset. She's the communications director for the Children's Services of Roxbury. Delinda, welcome to Nightside. How are you this evening.
Speaker 5: I'm doing well, Dan, thanks for having me, Thanks for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Well. Our Pleasure Children's Services at Roxbury CSR is a great organization. You've created a program called Youth Purpose and Partnership and that program is thriving and as an upcoming talent showcase a week from tonight.
Speaker 5: So yes, where's it going.
Speaker 2: To take place? Their ticket's still available and what sort of talent? I bet you it's a variety of talents that will be showcased.
Speaker 5: Yes, as the young people say, is going to be lit. Yeah, okay, yes, excitedly looking forward to it. It's going to take place at the Congregational Church in Roxbury. Doors open at five point thirty. The event will be from six to eight. All ages will welcome. It's a free event. There'll be light, refreshment served and whatnot. But really it's the young people in the Youth Purpose and Partnership program who are producing this event Untder the direction of the program's digital media coordinator. His name is Eddie and you can expect us a fun energy with a mix of performances from poetry, dancing, beater production and live podcasting. And it's truly just a time to celebrate the talent of our youth, their creativity, support the leadership of our young people, and really just see them in action.
Speaker 2: So how many young people in Roxbury does your organization serve over the course of the year.
Speaker 5: So our organization and Children Services of Roxbury, we served sixty five hundred families across Massachusetts, so our we solve that amount annually. Most are primarily in Boston, about five thousand in Boston, but we also serve communities in Worcester, Western Mas and the Lowe area. But this program, in particular, Youth Purpose and Partnership, they serve about forty youths throughout the city of Boston with each Core HOURT and the Core HOURT meets during the fall, spring, and winter, so forty youth within each corehort throughout the year.
Speaker 2: So the age span again you're talking about, I assume kids in junior high school, in high school or does it even get younger than that. You know, obviously kids could be very talented at whatever age. What's the age range of the kids that benefit from your program?
Speaker 5: So the kids ages for Youth Purpose and Partnership they raise between fourteen and eighteen years old and they meet after school four days in a week, and they engage in digital storytelling, video production, podcasting and other initiatives that really equipped with leadership and workforce development skills that you know, we hope that in return they'll take these skills and apply it to college or in careers that they hope to pursue.
Speaker 2: Now, the organization itself, Children's Services of Roxbury, that's been around for a while. Was it founded back in the nineties or in the early two thousands. I understand it to be have been around for a while, Am I right on that here?
Speaker 5: Are right? Actually longer. We're fifty years in counting, so we've been making a mark in the community. Yeah, so fifty years accounting. We provide services that include family shelter, behavioral health, intensive foster care, family support services, early education, youth development. So it's really a wrap around service program that we have and this program that we're talking about today, Youth Purpose Partnership, that's one of our youth development programs.
Speaker 2: So so the idea here is to basically help young people as they're you know, growing up in their in their home community, whether it's Boston or as you just mentioned, other places. It's a tough time of life for kids like this of any age. I don't care whether you're where you live, whether you live in America or around the world. Obviously a lot of changes going on and and they're there are not only you know, hormonal changes going on, but also changes changes in terms of what am I going to do? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? Do you address some of those issues as well?
Speaker 5: We do, and you know that that's one of the things we see in the impact of a program like Youth Purpose and Partnership. And I really, you know, would like to hold space to just give a shout out to the program directors Jasmine Green and Timothy Faztarl because they do it for no job of like meeting the youth where they're at. So each kid that participates in the program, as you mentioned, they have different things they're dealing with, right, but it's really about meeting the youth where they're at. And I think the impact is really seeing through the leadership skills, the management, management skills, the advocacy skills that they're really developing. And the program also have some young people who finish the program but have come back to work as youth support staff. Two names that come to mind are Rihanna and Kalife to name a few, but they come back and then return mentor current youth in the program, so it's really a sense of community and a space that they find community after school rather than being idle and not knowing how to apply themselves in a productive way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just want to make note of this, and this is something that I strongly believe in. I work with a mutual friend of ours, Matt Ellis, and we both worked in television. I worked as a reporter for many years and one of the things that always bothered me was I felt that that kids in Dorchester, Roxbury, Matapan got a bad rap because they're kids that were shown on television were kids either who had been in a fight or worse, that were dead in the street or were in court. And I always understood that it's ninety eight percent of the kids in Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan and other urban areas are trying to do the right thing and they're involved in good programs, but often they don't get the publicity so that there's a balanced viewpoint and people who have never spent much time in Roxbury Dorchester or Mattapan or any urban area. They get a distorted view of what young people are like in those communities, often because of what I worked in and what our colleague, my colleague Matt Ellis worked in, and that is that there's a lot lot of stories that lead newscast about, you know, a gun battle or someone gets shot, or you know. The bad news leads these news stories, and the good news, which is what you're doing, very rarely gets gets highlighted. And I don't know if I hope you you understand why I'm saying that. It's really a tribute. It's a tribute to what your group has been doing for that long. Children's Services of Roxbury. How can folks get in touch on maybe even if they would like to learn more or support you. What's the easiest way for them to get in touch with you to help with the good work you're doing.
Speaker 5: Well. Thank you for that, Yes, And the easiest way is to visit our website at csrocks dot org and there you will have the tools you need to reach out, Send an email, make a phone call. We're all always ready available to support to receive support of any sort. We are a non profit organization. We welcome, volunteers, philanthropy, all those good things and is really supporting our mission, right and ultimately the services and programs we provide, they speak to preventing these things, preventing youth from getting to that state of the things that people typically see in the news.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So our program the services really aim to break that cycle, break the cycle of systemic racism and all the things that kind of impact future generations and just aim to have a space for these youth and families to thrive. So it's meeting them where they're at so that we can prevent these things from happening.
Speaker 2: So again, that website is c S for Children's Services cs ROCKS ro x five letters dot org. Correct, that's right, we want it makes I like to spell it out for people. Let me tell you, Delnda, thank you much for your time tonight and best of like with the big event next Friday, April eleventh in rocksby folks to get more information at cs rocks c srox dot org. Have a great weekend to.
Speaker 5: Linda Future so you are there, thank you all Right, here.
Speaker 2: Comes the news at the bottom of the hour. Right after that, we're going to talk about a big Red Sox home opener. Whew, it got a little tight, but it worked out. Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globes Hall of Fame Sports Columnists, will join us right after the news at the bottom of the hour. My name's Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w Z Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Suzanna. Big day in Boston. Whenever Opening Day occurs with us, it's the great Dan Shaughnessy. Dan, before we talk about today, can you remember your first opening Day? I'm sure at some point you ventured down from Groton, Massachusetts and was there for an opening day, which one was if you.
Speaker 6: Remember even better than that, Dan, because I ventured from Holy Cross in nineteen seventy three. I think our paths were crossing at some point closely there. But so the opener in seventy three, somebody in the dorm scored a bunch of tickets, somebody from Alumni three, and we, uh, we went in and it was the first game of the DHS Hera, Orlando Sapada and Ron Blonberg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was he was with the Yankees then, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yankees, Red Sox. I think it was fifteen to five socks win. You know, you know, big blood bath, a lot like today's game. So but it was, you know, we were down right field and great to be part of history. And that's that's fifty two years ago, Dan, So then we are.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I got you beat a little bit. I was able to get in. I was a little younger, as a child, as a mere child. Nineteen fifty nine, Washington senators Reno Bettoya put one up in the net. You know, they used to have a net out there in left field. It's a third basement for the Senator. So that was not a great opening day. Those, of course, was in the those were in the bad years for the Red Sox. That's that's for sure. What's your most memory A ble opening day?
Speaker 6: Oh boy, well, I'm jealous. You got ted Williams. So you got one up on me there. That's that's quite a no.
Speaker 2: I saw. I saw Williams a bunch of times. As a matter of fact, I saw Williams hit the final fly ball and the Jim Bunning no hitter. We were we were down by the pole that day and flew out to al Calne and right field, and when Jim Bunning through his American League no hitter against the Red Sox.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, that's pretty good. I mean, you know, there there's been a lot of things in mo Vaughn hit a grand slam in the opener once and there's been a lot of things. But you know, Pedro had the opener. Who was in Baltimore's first game. He left the clubhouse early, and then Frank con was a dust up. Four, well five, they handed out the rings to the socks against the Yankees. That was a big deal and of course, uh Mariano Rivera got chided and cheered and all that. So that's probably the one that resonates the most.
Speaker 2: I remember Rivera tipping his hat to the crowd in smiling as they they were buoy Yeah, that's for sure. Well, today the Red Sox looked like the Red Sox have all thirteen runs, sixteen hits but three errors and Don Butden was nowhere to be found today, but there was still the ghost of Don Budden was in the Red Sox infield today. Should that concern us or no?
Speaker 6: Well, this is what the year is going to be like. I think, I mean, the defense is tightier than it's been and I think overall, you know, having breaking the third story hopefully healthy for them. Campbell at second it's tighter, and Costas is probably better than he was last year, so I think they're better. But yeah, today they were kicking it around, throwing it around, and you're going to see some of that and there's just going to be a lot of sloppiness. I think no one, no team is overpowering, certainly in the American League. I mean American League's wide open, and that really plays the Boston's a beens. They've got a really exciting team with good young players and some veterans and some big money guys that were brought in. So I think this is the most the best felt about just going over to see him in about five or six years. So I think that it's it's it's the needles going in the right direction for them now, even though they're four and four. I'm not too bothered about that. I think it's going to be a good throw right for them.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be better than a year ago they were five hundred and if they can pick up ten wins and end up, you know, ninety one and seventy one, I think you're in the playoffs. You know who. I'm excited about it. I'll be interesting because you've seen them more than me. I think fits Fits is a pitcher.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he so you know, he's he's you can look at him as residual. Lookie Betts yields, you know, which is good to say because it was very little yield from that. So there's that. He had, you know, good appearances last year, throws, strikes, pounds his zone, had a good, pretty good outing in Texas, and uh, they have expectations for him. So as a as a fifth guy, you know, he serves it pretty nicely. I think at this juncture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just hope that they stick with him and that I think he's a starting pitcher. He is, He's kind of built like Clemmens and Nolan Ryan building. I just think the sky's the limit for him. And why the Yankees ever were crazy enough to let him go, I think it was a huge mistake. Devers looks like Evers is coming back. Were you were you on the road with them in Texas and Baltimore.
Speaker 6: I was in Texas for all four. It was it was astounding just what we saw. And of course the first five games, fifteen strikeouts, it was remarkable. It was just hard to believe what we were seeing, you know, three the first day, then four, then three. It was just off the charts. And I just don't think a twenty eight year old guy, you know, loses his way altogether. He's been a good hitter for seven seasons. You know, he's looking better now, better at beasts, you know, squaring up the ball more, and he'll be okay. I'm not sure. He's got to sort out some things with his weight, with his shoulders, with the adjustment to play and to be a d h et cetera. But I think ultimately it's going to shake out in an okay fashion. I wouldn't give up on h well, you know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't either, But watching him in Texas and even in Baltimore, I thought to myself, this guy's got a head problem. That I mean, I meaning it's in his head, this whole thing about you're not playing third base. And I've never seen a great baseball player dissemble that quickly. I don't know him personally. I'm sure you know him pretty well, but it was it was astonishing to just watch him swiftly was.
Speaker 6: I mean, nineteen past fifteen strikeouts. It was just hard to imagine that he just he wasn't able to get anything done. But slowly he's been digging out, you know, a couple of walks and hot hit file balls and two hits today, and I just think that stuff evens out over the course. If if he did that in the middle of the season, you wouldn't really notice it. A five game stretch, it'd be bad. But when it's the beginning of the season, it's the only stample you have. Everything gets exaggerated and magnified.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question for me, Dad, and that is who in the East is there their toughest competition. I originally thought it was the Orioles. Now I'm thinking it's the Yankees again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm with you on that. I would go the same way. I mean, it's pretty wide opened the whole division. There's no there's no monster team. The Yankees were could have been, and I think maybe we made too much of you know, they had three critical guys, big money guys, big name guys go down and spring training. But at the same time they can kind of absorb that because they have so much depth and so much so many dollars spent on name talent, and they've still got those guys, and I think that, Yeah, I think what you said is what I feel that, you know, Baltimore, having seen them, it looks like the Yankees are still going to be the threat, you know, when you get through the whole one sixty two here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Orioles didn't impress me, and I hadn't watched them for the last couple of years and really felt that they were making markets steps. It looks to me like they've stepped back a little bit. And it's just not Halliday, the young player who they I think they brought him up to early a year ago. Obviously they shipped him back down. But it's you know, it will always be more exciting when it's the Yankees. It's as simple as that. If you want to if you really want to finish number one, who best to beat? The best team to beat, obviously is the Yankees. Dan Shaughnessy, thanks so much. It's great. A little bit of a trip down memory lane here. And I don't know if you you might not be old enough to remember Reno Batoya.
Speaker 6: He was the third year, right, I don't have anything.
Speaker 2: Well, the Senators and the Red Sox and the thing that was interesting back in the days of sixteen teams. He had been born in Italy. He was one of the first. And it was not bad, you know, I mean eminently forgettable. Not no plaque in the Hall of Fame. But he had that one day in April of nineteen fifty nine. Uh, it's there weren't many people in the ballpark. It wasn't like today. The excitement that today was unbelievable. Dan Shaughnessy is always Thanks buddy. I watched I love your column. The first thing I look at is the Shaughnessy columns, but particularly on Sunday morning. I mean, it's just fabulous stuff. I don't know where you come up with it, but it's it's it's great stuff. Thanks so much as as a friend, and thanks so much as a as a scribe and a writer here in Boston. You're you're a treasure for for the Globe, and I uh, I think so much like you. Sometimes it's scared scares me a little bit. I think this guy, this guy's this guy is right on the money, uh on on baseball, just amazing. And nobody has better Earl Weaver stories than Dan Shaughnessy.
Speaker 6: Well, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 6: You take care your.
Speaker 2: Two pal talk to ladies and gentlemen. Dan Shaughnessy a great columnist, a Hall of Fame columnist with the with the Boston Globe for another opening day at Fenn Park. And I had my share of opening days at Fenway Park. You might remember. I would always be there early in the morning and for got to be at least ten years. I would be out there with Mayor Tom Anina. When we would invite a couple of guests, whether it was the governors at the time, Mitt Romney or Paul Salucci. We had a ball and Joe Mooney always allowed us get those lights on at Fenway Park, and it was it was really a treat. Opening day for me was always so special. Anyway, with that, when we get back, we're going to have a very special guest at eight forty five, someone who needs no introduction to the WBZ audience, my great friend Jordan Rich and we're going to talk about he's put a group together called Jordan's Trailblazers. We will explain right after the break.
Speaker 1: It's nice side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, here's a familiar voice ladies and gentlemen. Jordan Rich, Hi Jordan.
Speaker 4: How are you, Uncle Danny?
Speaker 1: How are you, my friend?
Speaker 2: I am doing great and I know you are as well. And I know our listeners are going to be thrilled to hear your voice. Everyone knows. I think who listens to WBS that you've been literally fighting a battle, not only a medical battle, but you are now learning how to box.
Speaker 4: You're what do you mean learning? I've actually been training now for a year and a half and I can throw quite a few combinations, but your boxing is one of the things I do regularly throughout the week, along with a bunch of other high intensity exercise periods to sort of try to stay ahead of things. But it's been a it's been quite an experience. I've got to tell you. I'm still the same skinny little guy I was, but I'm a lot tougher now.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you. You get in the ring, you'd be the oldest oldest champ maybe ever. Look the medical problem and it's more than a problem that you're dealing with this Parkinson's disease, which is a horrific diagnosis. You've been dealing with that now for how long?
Speaker 4: Well, I was diagnosed in late twenty twenty three, but as many people know who have this issue, you know you probably had it in your system for a lot longer than that and just didn't realize it. And I mean, right now, physically, I'm in pretty good shape. I don't have any issues in terms of balance, walking, gait, any of that. My voice is strong, thank you very much. And really the issues are for everybody a little different at the Snowflake disease. So, I mean, I've got some non motor issues that a lot of people have. One of the strangest ones I call it strange because it sounds like I'm making it up, but I'm not, is occasional apathy, like you just don't want to do anything, and that's very unlike me. So that's one of the reasons I'm calling in tonight to let you know that I'm doing something.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are. There's a there's a big called the American Parkinson's Disease Association Optimism Walk, and you have a team and you're raising funds and the team is called Jordan's Trailblazers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not exactly that original, but you know.
Speaker 2: You know, you're certainly better known in this area than the Portland Trail Blazers at this.
Speaker 1: Point, that's for sure, and I'll take it.
Speaker 4: I'll take that absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I know that one of our dear mutual friends has already contributed very generously tell us how people can get on the team either as a walker, and I guess if you're a walker, you get people to pledge how many miles you're going to walk. Is that the way I work? Explained it to me, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's pretty much the way it works. And I can tell it's May eighteenth, which is a Sunday at Bowditch Field. That's bowb I t C In Framingham where I believe both my children grat Sduated High School in the graduation ceremony. But it's Botage Field and it's not a ten k or anything like that. It's a walk around the field as many times as you want. And the really cool thing is that I've got a team. People are joining the team, but they are certainly supporting us as one cog in the wheel, so to speak, to raise funds for Parkinson's research, Parkinson's care and hopefully someday a cure. And I mean I do things with the Michael j Fox Foundation of the David Finney Foundation One ten Fitness in Rockland. And I got to tell you, Dan that this has given me a pep in my step to get back involved in doing doing something. You know, if not to just help me, it's it's certainly not going to help me alone. It's going to help a lot of people, and that's the fun of it. So it's the American Parkinson's Disease Association, as you said, and that's ap DA parkinson dot org. But I can tell people that if you'd like to support my team, and why not because I might win a totepeg, you can go to my Facebook page, which is Jordan Rich Show on Facebook. It's the easiest way and there's a link at the top and in an article that I wrote yesterday and otherwise it sits a long, sort of discombobulated link, but if you go to Jordan Rich Show on Facebook, you should be able to check it out and make stations.
Speaker 2: So now people who are going to go and participate in bodge Field is a track, it's an open area, it's a nice area and framing him easy to find, pretty icy parking. My recollection. I've been over there, so there's two ways people can participate. They either joined the team as a walker, as one of your trailblazers, and if they go to your page Jordan rich Show on Facebook. Get to your page, you'll be able to get them all squared away.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's right at the top of the page, right.
Speaker 2: And if people want to make a donation or a contribution. Some people are very adept at making contributions through all the various ways in which things. What about those in our audience who are a little maybe old fashioned like myself, who might like to a check. What's the best way, I'll tell you, who are troglodytes.
Speaker 4: I'm not far behind you in the troglodyte world in terms of that.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 4: But they should make the checks out to American Parkinson's Disease Association or a p d A. That's as simple as that. And maybe just put a little note at the bottom. And I actually don't have the address, handy, but I will now, I'll get it right now. Actually, I think we have time and they can send in a donation. If they can go on the website, they can get a whole lot much more information. Sure, Yeah, here's the address I have it right here. In fact, it's it's a p d A, eighty five East Conquered Street as in the Grape in the city.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it's on the it's ground floor, that's part of their address, and it's Boston two one one eight. So so and again.
Speaker 2: People, I'm gonna give them one more time, Jordan. Uh, it's a p d A, which stands for American Parkinson Disease Association. And you said, it's eighty five East Conquered Street, ground floor, Boston to one. And they can include that, which I hope will will will benefit your call your team can can is they surely put well, you.
Speaker 4: Know, they can put my name on there and then they'll I'm not looking for any credit at all on this, but it's really fun to see the numbers pile up. In fact, my wife and I and you know, my wife Roberta, we got an original goal of I think sixteen eighteen hundred, and that was quickly wiped out because we beat that in a day, so we've up the goal. It's now seventy two hundred. I have a feeling we're going to go to ten thousand plus very soon because there's a lot of people coming through and I'm touched. I'm humbled. I'm always for clemped when I know how supportive people are and friends and neighbors but also listeners. So I really appreciate the opportunity to spread the good word.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll tell you it's incredible. And by the way, the fundraiser for Jordan Rich, I think also can be founded GoFundMe dot com or or was that a different one?
Speaker 4: Now that's different on me, don't I don't need any fundraising for me, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I avoid that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair enough, it's perfectly fine, perfectly.
Speaker 2: Fine, okay, No, And they so we got to meet the way, as they say, you can just go to Jordan's Jordan Rich's show page and there's a link in which you can make a donation directly. Yeah, if you if you're old fashioned and you're a little intimidated by that, and you like to write a check, just go to ap DA American Parkinsons Disease Association, eighty five East Conquered Street, ground floor, Boston, to one and make sure on that check you put Jordan's name so that that contributes. You know. The better way to do it probably would be to do it through the fundraiser that Jordan has on his show page. But again it I don't want anyone to be deterred because they don't have a computer or they're intimidated. Sip, simple as that, Jordan are you're still doing this stuff on WBZ real quickly for your fans who maybe have a couple, only a couple who have lost track. When are you on the air weekends?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Pretty much all weekend from New England weekend to Connoisseur's Corner to book Club to UH streaming on TV and in the movie theaters. I do all at the Upside with Jordan's and then I'm still doing a lot of podcasting and you can catch my podcast which is called on Mike O, n M I C with Jordan Rich. It's on all platforms. And yeah, you know, I miss doing the fill in for you because it was a lot of fun and it's a great honor. But it's important for me to get my sleep, if you know what I mean. Absolutely take care of myself and always sound great.
Speaker 2: You sound great. We talk occasionally off here. You continue to sound great, stay strong, and a lot of people have you in their thoughts in perish all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for.
Speaker 4: My fellow for my fellow community of Parkies, Parkinson's patients and people. Keep the fight up. That's the important thing. Thank you so much, Dan.
Speaker 2: Sley, my pleasure, Jordan, thank you very much for all you've done, all you've done over the years. When we get back, we'll get back to the nine o'clock Right after the nine o'clock news, we'll be talking with the President of Assumption College, Greg Weiner, wrote a very interesting essay and o ed in The New York Times on March twenty ninth about higher education colleges have to be much more honest with themselves. Back on night side after this