Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app, AFI AM sixty Live Dreaming and HD Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, welcome home. I'm Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. I design custom homes and on the weekends here I am your guide to better understanding that place where you live. Today on the show Well Saturday Morning, what does that mean? It means we are taking calls today. We're going to be taking your calls. I want to talk to you about whatever is going on with your home. Producer Richie is standing by. The phone lines are opened up. Whether you're here with us in Southern California or anywhere else across the country. We are live and ready to talk about all things home for you, whether it be interior exterior, construction issues, architecture and design questions, DIY concerns, whatever the case may be. Give me a call and we'll put our heads together, and I promise you we will figure out what's going on with your home. I am here to help you out. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean, It's just that simple. Eight three three The numeral two. Ask Dean eight three three two ask Dean, and the phone lines are open now. We'll start going to the phones as soon as the calls start rolling in. Meanwhile, let me introduce our awesome team. Sam is on the board. Good morning Sam, Good morning Dean. How you doing. I'm good, I'm good? Are not so?
Speaker 2: Live?
Speaker 1: Studio audience sounds a pretty chipper this morning. Yeah, they are a lively bunch today. They are full sound vigor. Well. Sam has his hand on the volume control so he can control the vigor of our studio audience. Producer Richie standing by, as I mentioned, taking calls, and in fact he's busy working some calls right now. We are grateful for him. Does a fantastic job every week. And when you call in this morning, which I know you will. And by the way, traffic is light, always light on Saturday mornings, so now's a great time to get on the air. Richie is going to be the lovely voice that you hear and he'll tell you everything you need to know. You pop you into the queue and you can listen to the show while you wait. Eileen Gonzalez at the news desk, Good morning, Eileen, Good morning, Dean, how's it going. I'm good, I'm good. How are you doing? Doing good? Just slipping my tea like I do in the morning. What is our selection of tea for the morning. I've been pretty boring. I've just been sticking to the green tea. You're just with the green tea lately? Yeah, lately, not a lot of variety. Okay, I am looking at some point here or you know one of those funky names associated with herbal tea's Ashawa Gundakaba. You know, I can never I can never say roybos tea looks like right, I don't even know what that I mean. I know that's a tea. I have no idea what. I can't say it, but it's good. If somebody if I was sitting in a in a cafe this morning and the server said, would you like some roybos tea? I would like okay? Why not? Yeah? It works? Is that a caffee of tea or is it herbal? It's herbal. It's herbal. But this morning you need the caffeine, don't you, yes, most definitely. Eventually I'll go to coffee again. There you go. Well, speaking of coffee, Oh my goodness. Hmmm, I think everyone should pour themselves a nice, warm comfort beverage. Right now, it's a little chili outside, it's a little chili. It's a classic spring morning. I heard there was rain. I know it does not look like rain at all. No, not here, not here, looking around, but it's cold. I should say chili. I don't want to say cold and offend people who are like currently, you know, in the twenties, they're like, pull it together, man, It's just chili, that's all.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, sitting across the table from me, you just heard her lovely voice. My better half, my design partner, my partner in life, and I'm your best friend in all the world. There's her spirit animal, the elephant tinaz here. Welcome home. How you doing well? Well? And I have Oh well, I'm doing well, and I have Samy with me, Sammy, anything you'd like to say, Sam, keep petting me. Sam is one of our beagles. He is h the neediest of our beagles. Yes, but he's a love. He is a love, a little whiny in the morning about four point thirty. All right, Sam saying feed me, feed me? All right, y'all, why don't we dive in. Here's the number once again. Phone lines are open eight three three to ask Dean. It's an all calls morning, all calls Saturday morning, my favorite time, just to sit and talk with you about your home. We will take those calls when we return Camphi, Dean Shark the house with her Welcome home. Whether your home is a condo or a cottage or a castle, makes no difference. I am here to help you take it to the next level. That's what we do here on our little program. Today, as most Saturdays, we are taking your calls. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three, the numeral two Ask Dean eight three three two. Ask Dan. We've got room on the callboard for you. Give me a call anything regarding your home. You get to set the agenda today. You get to decide what the show is all about. Why don't we go to the phones. I want to talk to Eileen. Eileen, welcome home. Hi Dean, good morning. How can I help you?
Speaker 3: Hi? I've been a listener since day one. Oh I'm sorry, No, you've been terrific. I have. I have landscaping questions for you. I know you like that. I have a flagstone patio that was put down. It is a small padio on the front of the house by the side of our driveway, and with the heavy rains that have come it has washed away some of the DG. So there are gaps maybe a butt an inch to inch and a half deep, and the flag stones put down or about an inch sick. So it's a small area. But the man who put down our original patio isn't interested in coming back to repair this, Okay. So I was wondering, along with a neighbor who's willing to help, if we can get small bags of DG and fill it in ourselves and compact it and let it dry. And then I heard that there's something like a DG stabilizer or mouch glue to prevent this happening again.
Speaker 1: Uh huh huh.
Speaker 3: Plus I need some direction here, okay, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, what Eileen is talking about when she says DG that is decomposed, granted, we've all seen it. A lot of people have it in their yards, a lot of places out in public and in parks that you'll see decomposed grantede A lot of people think you're just walking on dirt. It's that kind of gold orange e material and you realize, oh wait, this is not dirt. It's not sticking to my feet, it's not going anywhere. Yeah, it's not dirt. It is literally granite that has decomposed, and it is very very very small aggregate pebbles of granite that because of their rough edges and their contours, they tend to lock into each other. And you can compact decomposed granite down into a really stable pathway that gives that very naturalistic feel. But yes, they are subject to you know, conditions, weather conditions like rain, and decomposed granite will eventually you know, shift out of place and just it just needs to be maintained. It's not constant maintenance, but it does need to be maintained over time. And a couple of things that are critical about decomposed granite is, yes, compaction is key. You don't just sprinkle it out and kind of stump on a little bit and expect it to stay in place. And that there are other there are other products these days that help do that, and a decomposed granite stabilizer is one of those things and I always recommend using those because they just they work really well. It's kind of a polymer based material that you mix with the DG and as you as you compacted in place, it just it makes it essentially stickier. I don't want to give the wrong impression that it actually would stick to your feet or anything. It just helps the granite hold itself in place. If you've ever here's the metaphor that I use for this, or the example, if you've ever seen one of those kids like little magic sand toys, you know, the tray that has basically sand in it, and they get to sit there and in the house without water, without adding water to it, and basically build little sand castles or sand structures. You can grab it in your hand, you can squish it. It forms a ball, It holds together all those granules of sand. That's the kind of uh, that's the kind of effect that a decomposed granite stabilizing polymer creates. It just helps it hold in place. And yeah, Eileen, it's so it's one of those things, one of those DIY or one of those projects I should say that does qualify if if the scale is not too large, as a really good DIY project. And I distinguish DIY projects by one factor in one factor alone, and that is, does it take mastery physical mastery of a certain element, and that that the that confuses people at times or leads them astray. For instance, sometimes a project that has multiple steps to it and seems complex because it has okay, step one, do this, step one two, do that all the way to you know, step twenty, They're like, wow, there's just a lot to that. I that's probably something a pro should do. I disagree. If if every step is simply just another you know, simple execution of a thing, then that's totally a project that a dare wire can take on. Whereas sometimes what seems like the simplest of ideas, like a finishing drywall with drywall mud, is the one I always give because you know, I've been doing this for a long time and I won't even touch a drywall mudding trowel because because I'm no good at it, I just don't have that hand touch. It's one step. It's put some mud on the trowel and trowl it across the tape and feather it out. Okay, that sounds great, but it's one of those things that truly takes ten thousand hours of mastery the feel of the trowel. To get it done right, one simple step, but it takes mastery. Whereas a project like yours, Eileen, you just follow the steps and if you faithfully follow and execute the steps of clearing the area, getting the polymer, mixing it properly, compacting it properly, coming back, compacting it again, putting it in small lifts so that each layer gets compacted. Well, there's no reason why you and a couple of conscientious neighbors can't execute the replacement of your DG.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I just go to the big box store and look for stabilizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sell it at the big box stores. They sell it at builder supply places, meaning stone yards. They kind of specialize in stone and block places like Thompson Building Materials or Angelus Block. You can find you can find the DG stabilizer and they'll tell you exactly how to use it and give you the tips and the tools as well.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good. So and then what I need to reapply.
Speaker 1: This in the future eventually, eventually, But like I said, you know, d G is always a technically a maintenance thing. But we're not talking about you know, you know, maybe you're going to need to do some touch ups. Uh, you know in you know, a couple three years.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, okay. And I know we're concerned about a permeable surface. So even though I put this stabilizer down and I'm not I shouldn't do it over the whole patio, just this area that's kind of washed away. Is that true?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, I mean if you can, if you can mix a little into the whole patio surface, that's fine. But yeah, for now, I think you just worry about the areas that are washed away and it does not change the permeability of the of the Okay, okay, So.
Speaker 3: Along the driveway that should be fine. Then don't have time to ask you about my other landscape question.
Speaker 1: You know what, if you want to hang on, we're up against a break. I'd love to answer that question. So if I pop you on hold, we can handle Eileen's questions on the other side of the break. So Eileen, you stay put and we'll get you all answered. Up here. Your Home Dean Sharp the House Whisper. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty name six forty live streaming and ad everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Dean Sharp the house whisper with you this morning. How is your morning going here to greet you. I'm so honored that you are listening and that you're part of the show. This morning, we are taking calls, and I've got to tell you we've got lots of room on the callboard. It's a sleepy Saturday morning, so I normally need to jostle you just a little bit for those calls to start coming in on a Saturday morning. It's be one of those more warnings. I am here. I am ready to take your calls. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. All right, I want to finish up my call with Eileen. Eileen, you're still with me, buddy, I am okay, thanks for hanging in there through the break. Let's finish up what you had another question for me, so let's go for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a side yard almost the lanes of my house, and it's on a slope, but manageable. We did deweed it, but then we waited too long, and when the rain came it brought all the weeds back, so it's a very healthy weedy slope. So if I go ahead and remove all the wheed again, I want to replant it with subclans or native plants, but some easy to maintain plants, so I don't have to climb up on this slope?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: How do I start? Uh? And then I had a question about weed cloth and how to water the slope.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, how how how slopey are we? I mean, do we do we do we lose material off the slope when it rains? Is it that kind of a steep slope? No, in the situation that we're currently in, well a little bit.
Speaker 3: More than a gentle slope. I can get up there and you know leno or maybe it's about six feet in you know, height length. But yeah, I just don't know how to take care of this? What to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right? Well, you know, because I was going to say, if it's if it's a strong enough slope, you may want to start with after you've weeded it out and kind of got it under control, that you might want to start with some erosion control cloth. But it doesn't sound like erosion is really the problem for that slope. So yes, once you have reweeded it, if you're going to be conscientious and go through and do all of that, then then I would say that weed control cloth is your next best move there. Weed control cloth is going to do two things. One, it's going to shallow out what areas weeds can actually fall and distribute their own seeds into. Which doesn't mean that it's going to eliminate the weeds there. It just means that they're going to be few and far between and shallow rooted and so easy to pluck out, and you know it because they just don't really get a chance to get down into the soil proper. And the second thing, probably the most important thing about weed control cloth is once you've laid it out, any weeds that still are in seed form down in the soil. You know, in the heat of the summer days, the control cloth will heat the soil and keep them from thriving. They'll burn out those seeds so that they actually don't emerge in the first place because they've got no sunlight and they've got way too much heat in them to do anything effective. So the weed control cloth and then a light covering of whatever you want to cover the slope with. Now, if you're using succulents, then you may have some spaces in between the plants as opposed to you know, like an ice plant or something that just grows all over completely the slope. If that's the case, then you know, I always recommend that you set up a micro drip system and all you have to do is bring the necessary water for each plant right to the base of where it is dug into the soil, so that you're not wasting water. There's no need to you know, run sprinklers over the whole slope or anything like that. You can just focus on putting water exactly where the plant needs it, and those plants will just thrive, they really will.
Speaker 3: Is this a black cloth that I see?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it is. It's not plastic, it's you know, it's very cloth like in its feel. Uh. And it's really really easy to work with. You can buy some small little metal steaks and stake it down.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's weed control cloth.
Speaker 3: And then wherever I want a plant, I just make a hole there in the cloth.
Speaker 1: Yep. You just make a little hole in the cloth and then that's it. That plant gets what its needs. But everything else around it is denied, denied, and then I do.
Speaker 3: The micro drip after all the plants are in.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean you can. You can absolutely do the micro drip after all the plants are in. You may want to run it underneath the weed control cloth tucket underneath or right on top. It doesn't really matter that micro drip systems don't have to be buried. They can just run along and then and then some ground cover around it, whether it's bark or whether it's graund, pebbles or you know, then you just cover it up like in our garden. That's how we always do it. We plant the plants, we control the weeds, we plant the plants, we run micro drips, and then we'll cover with some kind of uniform groundcover.
Speaker 3: Like the most you're talking about. Yeah, well the black cloths, okay, yep, yep, okay, well great, anything.
Speaker 1: Else, any other tipe No, that's I think that's I think that's enough for you right now as far as your first steps, and as you move along. If you've got other questions, you feel free to give me a call back. Eileen, And thank you so much for listening to the show. From the very beginning. I'd apologize for that because you know now that I'm such a pro. Back then, you know, I was still a pro, just not a pro radio, just just you know, just doing my thing and always there to help you with your home. All right, we got a couple of more calls on the board. There's still room for you. Eight three three two ask Dean. A three to three the numeral to ask Dean. It's an all call Saturday morning. More of your calls, caamp Hi, Dean Sharp the house whisper with you this morning, on this lovely Saturday morning, Welcome home. Thanks for joining us on the program today. It is a privilege and an honor as always to be invited into your life, into your weekend mornings, and talk about this thing that is so important for all of us, which is home. Of course, home starts with a house or a structure, a condo, an apartment, a cottage, a castle, whatever it may be, and then we work from there and we fill it with our lives and it becomes home. And I'm here to help you do exactly that, whether it be by design and architecture, construction issues, DIY concerns, whatever the case may be, all of it all across the board, landscaping, exterior, interior. We're here to talk about your home today, and it's Saturday morning, which means we are taking your calls, and we've got room on the callboard for you too. Eight three three two Ask Dean A three three the numeral two. Ask Dean. Saturday morning is always a great time to call, because all the sleepy heads are still asleep, and you and I were up and awake, and traffic is light on the freeways and on the airwaves as well. So give me a call eight three three two ask Dean anything about your home? All right, let's go back to the phones. I want to talk to Robert. Hey, Robert, welcome home. Good morning, Dean, good morning.
Speaker 2: I had a question. Yeah, I had a question. I've been in my house for twenty five years or so, and it seems like my question is regarding like plumbing fixtures, like shower heads, faucets. It seems like every three to five years when you buy these from the big box stores, even if you buy the more higher end ones, they just they don't last. A lot of them are made out of plastic. Do you have any suggestions on manufacturers where you can get something that's you know, a little more high end. It's it's gonna last a little longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And you know what, I really appreciate the question because it illustrates something that a lot of people who are listening right now struggle with, and that is really is that all I get? I don't know where else to look other than the big box stores and the you know, it's hit and miss, And you're right, a lot of plastic. The big boxes tend to carry. It's not that they don't carry any quality items, but they tend to carry things that are more mid range or low to mid range when it comes to the overall quality of the fixtures, and yeah, quite often they do not last the way. Now, there's a way to shop for a plumbing fixture that you want to look for certain things. Number One, on any time there's too much plastic around, you just walk away, just walk away. And you got to sometimes take a real good look because you're like, wow, it looks like chrome, looks like brass, And then you tap on it and you're like, that's just a plastic casing. The other thing that you're looking for when it comes to that is all brass components, solid brass components and interiors. And believe me, when it comes to these kinds of things, if they aren't screaming out at you on the package that that's exactly what they've got, then they don't. It's you know, I kind of equate it to like buying organic food. Growing organic and getting organic certification is such a process. It costs farmers so much to do that they have to tell you. They're gonna tell you, hey, listen, we've gone to all this trouble. This is organic, and it's going to be right there in the label. And if you don't see it on the label, then it's not organic. I guarantee it, because everybody who goes to the trouble of knowing that quality is going to let you know. So when it comes to all brass construction, all brass guts underneath, all the coatings, lifetime warranty on coatings, those kinds of things, that's what you're looking for. But I understand you can only find so much of that from the big boxes.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: So here's a here's a really really good tip that I'm going to give you that is kind of a game changer for a lot of people. I'm going to name a couple of brands. Okay, brands like Cohlar k O h l e R Colar, Hans growy h A n s A g R O is it grow grow is it eh? And you have to look that one up because my spelling is off this morning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: California Faucets Okay, Now that's not just if you live in southern California. It's just a national brand, California Faucets. Then here's what you do. These are that's just a sample of some excellent, high quality plumbing fixture manufactures. And what you do now is you go onto their website and they are going because they don't have their own stores, and you click on the find a Dealer, find a store near me on like the Coohar website, and you will find you put in your zip code and you will find those products and in your area. The the actual dealers that deal with high quality bathroom fixtures, places like here in southern California, Ferguson, Ferguson bath Showrooms, places like WDC WDC. They're all over southern California. And those are just a couple of the big chains. And then there are lots of smaller plumbing supply places, Golden West Pipe and supply standards, plumbing supply, and on and on and on. So the key is zero in on a high end equality brand like cal Fawcets or Ferguson. I miss cal Fawcets or a Cohler, go to their website, put in your zip code, and boom, suddenly you will get by proxy a list of dealers that actually have all sorts of different brands that you don't see in the big box store. Perfect, Okay, Robert, thanks for your call, buddy, appreciate it, really really great question. And you see what happens. Somebody asks a great question, and now everybody learns a secret, a trade secret. That's what I do when I'm in some part of southern California that I'm not even familiar with in terms of what suppliers are out there. I'll pop in the zip code. I'm like, hey, this is where you can go and you'll find the stuff you need. Important safety tip. All right, more, when we return your Home with Dean Sharp, the house was on KFI. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI A M six forty