Speaker 1: Welcome back to Podsave America. I'm Tommy v Tour.
Speaker 2: The final game of the twenty twenty six FIFA World Cup is now about a week away, and I am already genuinely sad that this is about to be over. The tournament has taken me from casual fan to full on World Cup junkie, and I don't know what I'm going to do going forward, to not.
Speaker 3: Do work at the office because we just have the games on all day.
Speaker 2: And what makes this all the more remarkable is that before the World Cup began, there was a global sense of anxiety and concern about holding this tournament in Donald Trump's America. Fans from all around the world were worried about ice raids, VSA restrictions, travel bands, and then also you know, issues with FIFA itself, like the exorbitant price of tickets. That one was not resolved by the way, and while there have been some unfortunate incidents, mostly the conversation has been about the excitement around the US men's team, at least at first, the unbelievable quality of the games themselves, the incredible finishes, and the joy of watching fans from around the world come to America, fall in love with our cities, our culture inhale food from waffle House and serenade stadiums with songs and even Viking chants, and it has served as a reminder to a lot of us. I think that we live in a great country and one that is defined by its people and not by its politics. So today, to dig into all things World Cup, I'm thrilled to be joined by Soccer Royalty.
Speaker 1: Gary Lineker.
Speaker 2: He's a former England striker, broadcaster and co founder of Goalhanger. He was one of the greatest soccer players of his generation. The guy had a hat trick in the eighty six World Cup. Incredible. Gary played in one of the most famous soccer games in history against Argentinian legend Diego Maradona and today he's one of Britain's best known sports broadcasters and he's one who has used its platform to speak out about social justice issues and has even been criticized for statements he's made, which we'll get into in the interview today. Gary is the host of an excellent soccer podcast called The Rest Is Football, which you can catch on Netflix throughout the World Cup and if you're in the market for a new podcast, check Up, Goalhangar. They've got a bunch of great shows. The rest is history, the rest is politics. The list goes on. And another great way to support progressive independent media is to become a friend of the pod subscriber. Here with Crooked Media, you'll get ad free episodes of Pot Save America. You'll get other great Crooked shows like Pot Save the World is ad free as well. You'll get tons of bonus content, including bonus Pot Save America episodes. You get deep dives into the polling, the latest polls from Dan Pfeiffer. There's great newsletters, much much more so becoming a paid subscriber.
Speaker 1: It's the single best way you.
Speaker 2: Can support our work and help us grow. So if you like what we're doing, please consider it. And with that, here's my conversation with Gary Lineker. So, Gary, I'm a casual soccer fan who has become obsessed with this World Cup. So it's really it's a pleasure for me to talk to a soccer legend like you, as someone who played in two World Cups for England, You've covered soccer for decades. What are your impressions of the tournament so far?
Speaker 4: I think it's been quite joyous at times.
Speaker 5: There are always with all big tournaments, especially the World Cup, they're always pros and cons, but I think by and large it's gone spectacularly well in many ways. On the pitch, I think the football has been really good, and some brilliant games, some cracking stories of underdogs, you know Cape Verdi for example.
Speaker 4: I think the real joy.
Speaker 5: Has probably been the way the fans have celebrated not just their own victories, but celebrated together and kind of shown a lovely humanity and togetherness that we've probably not seen previously. And perhaps it's a little message to the world that we can get on, yeah, even if we're on from all parts of the world. So I think that's been that's been wonderful. The tournament's building up now obviously to the crescendo, the excitement that the big final, but I think it's been way better than I actually thought it would be.
Speaker 4: They're obviously going into it.
Speaker 5: Like we do in all World Cups, we always think there's you know, there's gonna be things that go wrong, and there have been and things that we perhaps don't like, But overall.
Speaker 4: I think it's been I think it's been a triumph.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I mean that that's sort of why I was wondering. I mean, the lead up to the tournament, there was a lot of anxiety about you know, Trump administration policies, the impact on the quality of play, from the expansion of the tournament to more teams, ticket prices. I know that one has not been resolved because I've been on stell Oh my god, people are people don't love FIFA generally, right, and Johnny and Fantino and given the you know, fucking FIFA Peace Prize and stuff. But once the game started, the conversation shifted to the play on the field, the clips of you know, the Scottish fans at Fenway Park singing, you know, through the seventh inning of a game. Is that like just what happens every few of a World Cup, Like there's anxieties and then the play starts and we move on or what do you make of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.
Speaker 5: So you go, I've covered so many, so many World Cups, and I've played in a couple of them. But prior to the World Cup, everyone expresses their fears and their concerns. There's a lot of anticipation, excitement as well on the positive side, but also I go but let's not go back too far. But let's go to twenty fourteen in Brazil, all the fans with like thousands and thousands of people on the streets demonstrating the fact that they're spending so much money on the World Cup stadiums, et cetera, rather than the infrastructure and perhaps the health service in Brazil.
Speaker 4: Roll on four years. We're in Russia.
Speaker 5: Four years previously they invaded Crimea, so that was you know, a massive concern. When we go on to Qatar and there was concerns about lgbt Q plus right, people have been dying making the building the stadiums. But again going into this one, we're obviously worried about the situation who's going to be allowed into this country and which we never had before. We did have concerns obviously when the referee, the Somalian referee wasn't allowed in and but you know, everyone was worried about ice taking fans off the streets, but that's thankfully not really transpired. So yeah, it's it was ever thus really and you know, during the World Cups there are always things that you don't like and there's been things like you said, the ticket price, and I think it's outrageous.
Speaker 4: FIFA is supposed to been non for profit organization.
Speaker 5: They've got billions pounds or dollars or euros in the in Swiss banks, and obviously I always say it goes back into the game, and a lot of it of course does. But I don't think it's right when you've got something as special as a World Cup that profit becomes the most important thing rather than the experience of football fans. I don't think it's right that fans should have to take out a mortgage or sell their car.
Speaker 4: To get a ticket to go and watch a football match. So I don't like that.
Speaker 5: I don't like the interference we've had in this World Cup. In terms of what happened with Baligan, the American forward that was you got a red card, which was I thought a really poor decision, but they didn't reverse the decision, they just postponed. Is the fact that he's suspension, which felt wrong, and now we've got an English player in exactly the same position. He's got two game ban so you just think, how can this possibly happen?
Speaker 4: So there are always things in the tournament.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives overall.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to ask you about FIFA in a bit. Yeah, I'm sure there are a nonprofit. I would love to see what the line item is for Jihnny and Fantino's private jet this month, because he's had a lot of games that are far away, and boy, they cut to him a bunch during the broadcast, I've noticed. Before we get to that, though, So you played on some of the biggest professional clubs in England, also in Spain. You played for England in eighty international games. How does the feeling of stepping onto the field at the World Cup compare to those other big games?
Speaker 3: In moments?
Speaker 4: Nothing like it? Representing New country to World Cup.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's the most special thing you can ever do. I would compare it probably to an athlete in the Olympic Games. That's their moment every four years. But this is sort of it's a little bit different to just a medal table compare. You know, US are always there with China and it's always always the same people because there's so many different sports involved. But football is is.
Speaker 4: Kind of a Globe sport. Even you guys enjoyed in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now you're trying a bit.
Speaker 5: Of interest, I've noticed, so, which is which is great.
Speaker 4: So it's a chance.
Speaker 5: Really, I don't think there's anything like it where you can show your patrioticness supporting your country, but at the same time we can all get on and enjoy it.
Speaker 4: So it is unique.
Speaker 5: And when you walk out, you know, represent your country and you stand there and they're playing the national anthem, and especially if things go well, I mean, it's it's just it's hard to describe. It's just like it's just like this is huge explosion of joy and pride.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: You had a hat trick against Poland in the nineteen eighty six World Cup. They were going through some shit at the time. You know, they had one party rule, they had Chernobyl. Did you feel bad about that at all? Do you feel bad about, you know, beating them that bad?
Speaker 5: If I'm really honest, not particularly. I mean, obviously some terrible things in all countries suffer at different at different times, and we've been we've been responsible for a lot of it over hundreds of years. But you know, when you're on that football pitch. You just want to play and you want to score, and you want to win, and you it's.
Speaker 2: It's nothing like you're tougher on that country than being Communism even.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was a tough game.
Speaker 2: Now you transition from from player to broadcaster to podcaster, do you ever feel bad about taking podcasting jobs away from unathletic slubs that used to have them.
Speaker 5: I don't think I've done that. I think we've added lots of podcasts. I've got a company, cool Gold.
Speaker 1: You get some some athletic slubs on the payroll. You feel like.
Speaker 4: We've definitely got some of those.
Speaker 2: Okay, say some downloads for the rest of us, all right.
Speaker 4: We've got we've got political pods as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, you do. You have some great ones.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned this earlier, that the story about Trump calling the FIFA president to lift the suspension against one of America's best players. Flow of elegance. We could play against Belgium, so the US we got worked in that game. We lost badly, So the suspension of Baligan's red card it didn't matter much in terms of the outcome of that specific game. But as you said, that decision is going to be. It's going to hang around FIFA's neck for a long time. So do you think Baligan deserved a red card on the play? And like, what has the international reaction been to what FIFA did?
Speaker 1: How big a deal is this?
Speaker 5: It's it's a pretty big deal because I think it goes against the integrity of our sport. You know, you've got to have rules and they've got to be fair and they've got to be the same for everyone. You can't have, you know, one rule for one and one rule for another, not in our sport. So and we've never had anything I don't think quite like this before.
Speaker 4: So you know, whilst it probably well, it most.
Speaker 5: Certainly didn't make any difference or it might have had some kind of negative effect on America's performance with all the hulla baloo around around this, So I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I mean, Belgium are always likely to be the US.
Speaker 5: It's you know, it's not your obviously your primary sport in this country.
Speaker 4: You're you're on a road.
Speaker 5: I think you're on a journey where football is growing in this country.
Speaker 4: You've got a league now that's you know, you've got one.
Speaker 5: Or two of the best players in the World Messi Messi is here, so I think it is growing. But I've always wondered why why in terms of fifather, they're so obsessed with trying to get America to be super interested in our sport. Because if ever you are, if you ever get all your real athletes play, now, okay, you might be bloody good and that would be really irritating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I knew were in trouble in that game. Well we were in trouble already, but when Belgium subbed in a striker who had been named league MVP in the Serie R late in the game, the sky the cuckoo, and then we subbed in the former coach's son who played for an MLS club in Canada.
Speaker 1: They kind of told you everything about the quality of the players who are.
Speaker 6: Of course, Potta of America's brought you by ze Biotics.
Speaker 1: I love Zerbiotics. It's awesome. Love it.
Speaker 6: Take it before a night with drinks. It's called pre alcohol sibiotics. Pre alcohol probiotic drink is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here's how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this buy product, not dehydration that's to blame for rough days after drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this by product down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. I use it all the time. It's whenever I know that you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna drink tonight. I'm gonna have drinks, Have two drinks, throw one down.
Speaker 3: You had at your wedding.
Speaker 1: I had my wedding.
Speaker 3: People loved it.
Speaker 6: People loved it, and it was great and you feel better the next day. July is packed with barbecues, fireworks, late weekends and late nights with friends. Keep the good times rolling to the next day. Drink pre alcohol before you go out, and wake up ready for whatever. Sundays remembered. Head to zibiotics dot com, slash crooked and use the code crooked at.
Speaker 2: Checkout for fifteen percent off. Positive America is brought to you by Sundays. Have you ever actually looked at the ingredient list on your dog's food after no after the first ingredient well, good Luck kibble is made using extreme high heat to keep its shelf stable and inexpensive, so brands have to add back the synthetic vitamins and minerals in the form of unpronounceable chemicals. Is that really what you want to feed your beloved pet day in and day out. Sundays for Dogs is different. Founded by doctor Tory Waxman, Sundays was created to meet her high standards as a veterinarian and as a dog parent. Sunday starts with eighty percent plus all natural meats and then adds superfoods like kale, ginger, and blueberries. No fillers, no nutritional blends, no chemicals, just simple, complete nutrition And the best part, Sundays requires no fridge, no freezer, no prep, no mess. And Sunday's just launched a brand new fish recipe. It's made with eighty percent whole and minced fish, including eco friendly invasive carp source from American rivers.
Speaker 3: For a naturally rich flavor.
Speaker 2: Plus, it's packed with a Mega three fatty acids that help support healthy skin, shiny coats, joints, and brain function. It's complete and balanced nutrition for all of life stages. A little behind the scenes here. So John Doug Leo was in the office today along with Pundit. Yeah love It's dog. John kept putting Sundays in Leo's bowl. Leo would try to start to eat it, get distracted, and then punk.
Speaker 6: Comes punlash it and it comes Punnet.
Speaker 3: There was a battle for that food. These dogs absolutely love that food.
Speaker 2: And I've noticed from both of them more energy, better moods, more common focused after coats, less itching.
Speaker 6: You know, Pundit is manitching lass yeah a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she looks good.
Speaker 1: Make the switch to Sundays.
Speaker 2: Go right now to Sundays for Dogs dot com slash crooked and get fifty percent off your first order.
Speaker 1: Or you can use the code crooked to check out.
Speaker 2: That's fifty percent off your first order at Sundays for Dogs dot com slash crooked, Sundays for Dogs dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cricket, or use the code crooked at checkout.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you about that US team though. So I got to see the US team play against Panama. It was one of the most fun experiences pure I've ever been to sports whatever concerts anything. Everyone left that stadium full of hope and excitement and saying the same thing like this is our breakout year. And throughout the group stage we looked pretty good. We were operating and felt like we were operating on a different level. And then Belgium shows up and they kicked a shit out of us. And it's an unbiased outsider like, give it to a strake Gary, were we actually any better this year or the US team? And what do you think happened against Belgium?
Speaker 5: Well, I think I remember being interviewed early on after the before the tournament, and you're always asked, obviously, how the host nation will go.
Speaker 4: One of the host.
Speaker 5: Nations America, which and I always said, if they got to the last sixteen, I think that would be a really good effort. I couldn't really seriously see them getting past anyone that was any good, like a proper big European team, one of the North African sides. But I thought the fact that they did so well in the group stage was a real plus for the States and the tournament as a whole, because you want the host nations doing reasonably well. So, if I'm really honest, rather than being diplomatic, I would say that's as far as I ever saw them going, you know. And you know, it's funny after that first game, you talked about the Panama game when they had that incredible first half, and it was really good to see. And I know Mauricio a really well pochetting and he's a delightful man, and I'm really pleased for him for that, and it was a terrific performance. So all my American friends, you said, were coming at me and saying texting me and saying you.
Speaker 4: Were wrong abouts we're going to go all the way. And I was going to mate.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I know these World Cups and it's always the hope that kills you.
Speaker 4: As soon as you start believing a little bit, all goes wrong.
Speaker 5: As an Englishman, I'm very experienced in that many many times. But overall I thought they did pretty well. I think the plava surrounding Baligan's thing did.
Speaker 4: I don't think it helped them.
Speaker 5: I think if I think Mauricia missed the trick there, I think he should have just said no, we're not doing that, it's not right. I think he could. I would have been a very difficult thing to do. And if they'd have lost in the same way. Having done that, he would have been probably hung out to dry. So it's easy for me to say that, but I think it probably had some kind of effect.
Speaker 4: But overall, you know.
Speaker 5: You've got you've got half a good team, but there's not much depth yet and hopefully the sport will grow, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pochettino had sat Baligan. I think he might have been the first guy thrown into ice detention while in a stadium by Trump.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's a challenging situation to be in.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the criticism of America star player Christian Polisic. He did not have a great World Cup. He subbed himself off with an injury. I've seen some former US men's national team players specifically criticizing him, which feels I'm sure it's painful for him, But what do you make of this?
Speaker 5: I think it's a little unfair because I think his his abilities were taken a little bit out of proportion. I mean, policy's a very good player, very very good footballer. He's had a good career. He's played in England, he's played he's played in Italy. He's a he's a good footballer. But you know when you seen he's on all the billboards here. I mean we're doing the show it from here in from Times Square, and and he's everywhere, and you think, well, that's it's almost like he's Messy or Ronaldo.
Speaker 4: And with all due respect, he's a very good footballer, but he's not a great player.
Speaker 5: He's not you know, he's not one of the best in the world by a long stretch. But I think when you're the you've got carrying the hearts of a nation and the hopes of a nation, that pressure was probably so much. So I feel for him actually because whilst it's probably exciting to be treated as the big superstar of you know, of a World Cup, and in reality that was never realistically going to happen.
Speaker 4: So I can.
Speaker 5: I can sympathize with him to a degree. It just it doesn't deserve all the criticism. Football is very, very hard. It's difficult. You know, you play best players in the world and they.
Speaker 4: Have to stop you.
Speaker 5: You know, I've played us forward all my career and these we have these things called defenders and they're out there to stop You'll or buy crop, they'll try it.
Speaker 4: In some way.
Speaker 2: Every World Cup we kind of talk about is this the US's year. Are we going to take soccer to the next level? And it's to the point where it's kind of become a running joke, but like what would that entail?
Speaker 1: Is that more developing the professional level? Are we talking about like getting more kids involved? All of the above?
Speaker 4: All of the above. Really, you've got You've got a long way to go.
Speaker 5: What you need You've got a league now, which is you know, you've had a league before, obviously it didn't quite work and they've started again.
Speaker 4: Now you've got a league.
Speaker 5: You need to work out a plan for for youse football both. I mean, obviously you set great examples in the women's game. You're probably the best in the world that I would say, they're amazing, But you need a I think that needs an overall plan and where you've got to really I think concentrate on the young the youth players, the kids, get them taught properly. I know, I've I've spent a lot of time in America over the years and I've been to I've seen that. You know, there's a lot of football camps, but you need some kind of proper organization, probably led by the various MLS.
Speaker 4: Clubs around around the country.
Speaker 5: Where they can recruit the best talent and get them properly trained and coached. Obviously, you've got a very different system to US and Europe in all football really of how you deal with players that go in they are young, so in our country for example, and the same applies across Europe. If you've got any hope of being a soccer player, you've got to join a club when you're sixteen. Your education they will cope, they'll give you education on the side, but you have to start sixty.
Speaker 4: Obviously, in America with your sports.
Speaker 5: They go to college or they go to university and they get draft picks and by you know, if you do that in football, it's too late. It's too late by the time you're twenty. There will be you know, there's always examples that will prove that wrong, but not that many. So I think the whole I think you really need to have a good think and proper planning in terms of not just wait for a World Cup and then hope it goes well, but build a long term future, look ten twenty thirty years ahead, because it is realistically going to take that long fear to challenge.
Speaker 2: So with the bearer, twenty thirty is our years, what you're telling me, Yeah, so let me talking about ask you with PEPA fepa famously corrupt organization. In twenty fifteen, you know, we watched a bunch of fe of officials get dragged out of a hotel in Zurich and they're underwear. They were for taking bribes. It's like one hundred and fifty million dollars in bribes. All these sports marketing executives too. Doj is accused FIFA of accepting bribes from reps from you know, Russia and Qatar to get those hosting rights in those countries. Set Bladder, the former president of FIFA. He's currently banned from soccer related activities Johnny and Fantino. The new guy doesn't seem like much of an improvement to me.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm I'm you know, a casual watching this stuff.
Speaker 2: Given how much money stand to be made from international soccer, do you have hope of reforming the organization?
Speaker 1: And what would that even look like.
Speaker 4: I've been hoping for that for a long time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I find it quite quite depressing, particularly the cases you talked about.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I was in the room when when Qatar and Russia were given the World Cup.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a particular problem with Russia.
Speaker 5: It's a big football nation that never hosted it, and I don't really have a problem with it being in the Middle East and Qatar either. But but what hurt, what made it feel dirty, was was the it was so obvious that the bids were corrupt, and it was latterly proved to be the case that you know, a lot of them took.
Speaker 4: Backhanders for their votes.
Speaker 5: So I remember thinking, this is just truly awful for a game.
Speaker 4: And then obviously it changed and Fantino came in. I met him.
Speaker 5: He's a nice guy. I've spent time with him, and I was hopeful. I was really hopeful that that this, this will.
Speaker 4: Be a change. I don't, you know, I don't think for one minute.
Speaker 5: Now they're putting bonds to people, put you know, packets full of cash to get votes for the World Cup or individuals or who's going to host it. But I don't like the fact that that they're making that much money, and I don't see why they need to do that because they.
Speaker 4: You know, yes, it goes back into the game. But does it does it?
Speaker 5: We don't really know. It's all a little bit secretive in the Swiss banks, so it concerns me. But the sport itself is good. It's but I.
Speaker 4: Think it's the same in all things, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It's like if you look even if you look at politics across the world, and then the example of this World Cup where all fans come together and actually we just.
Speaker 4: Want to get on. I think ninety percent of the world just want to have a life.
Speaker 5: They want to be able to afford to eat, they want to have a nice home and just get on with it.
Speaker 4: And I think, actually, we really like each other all all.
Speaker 5: But it's the people at the top, the leaders, the leaders of whether it's governments or FIFA, they just don't seem to get that.
Speaker 4: It's all.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether it's greed or it's ego or whatever it is, but I find it very depressing, you.
Speaker 6: Too, Pard they ever Marria is brought to you by Helix. I have the Helix don Lux and I love it. It's very soft and comfortable. He looks as over twenty mattress models, so you can find the perfect model for you. How do you know which mattress is right? You take the Helix Sleep Quiz. It will match you with the perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep needs. He Looks delivers your mattress right to your door with free shipping. In the US. The Happy with Helix Guarantee offers a risk free customer first experience designed to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress so you can rest easy with seamless returns and exchanges. Plus, Helix offers a one hundred and twenty night sleep trial and limited lifetime warranty. It's my the don Lux. The Helix matres have what an upgrade over my old mattress. It's super comfortable. It's just better than a hotel. You should get one. I've had it forever. I don't mean not a why, I've had it.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 6: Heiks Sleep dot com slash crooked for twenty percent off sitewide. That's Helix Sleep dot Com slash crookeet for twenty percent off site wide. Helix Sleep dot Com slash Crooked.
Speaker 2: One challenge we've had here in the US is sports gambling. It's really exploded in the US and twenty eighteen there was a Supreme Court ruling that jasonally opened up sports gambling and all sorts of states. A lot of sports league, the professional leagues have embraced gambling and the money it brings in. But now, like no surprise, we're seeing indictments and players getting charged with like illegal betting schemes and point shaving and YadA, YadA YadA. Do you worry about the impact of sports betting on the integrity of professional soccer? It seems a lot harder to fix a soccer game than it is to do like an over under on like free throws made.
Speaker 4: It's difficult.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to be naive here and say it doesn't go on, because I think there are things and with things have been proven and you know, you can bet on absolutely almost anything now and we've had betting in our country for a long time, but you can you can bet on how many corners and whether a player is going to get a yellow card, and that opens up that opens it up to you know, possible dodgy goings on, So that concerns me overall. At the top level, players earn so much money that I don't think there will obviously be the odd exception. I don't think players will be bought, but it is a worry for me. I mean, people can have a bet. I don't know, probably if somebody wants to bet on something. But what I don't like is the attitude of the betting companies and the way they entice your I don't know whether it's the same in America, but you know in England they'll entice them in with a very attractive looking bet, you know, like Belgium to beat USA twenty to one.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you do the odds in this country, and then they'll get them in.
Speaker 5: But to do that bet, which is going to win, you've got to get an account and so then you they're in, and once they're in, I mean it ruins their life. I think Killing and bat Play speak out against the gambling culture around football, and I absolutely totally agree with him.
Speaker 4: I don't have on the rest is football.
Speaker 1: That I do.
Speaker 5: We've always refused gambling adverts. For example, I won't I won't get involved in that. So yeah, I think it is a concern and it's something that we really need to keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I especially worry about how seamless and easy it's become to just lay bet after bet after a bet from your phone on your couch, like there's no friction.
Speaker 1: There's no book ei, there's no casino, there's no nothing. You're just going like this.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's terrifying because it's it's so addictive as well, I mean very fine.
Speaker 4: When I talk to people that.
Speaker 5: Work with people in various addictions, whether it's you know, alcohol, drugs, they say the hardest one to kick is the gambling addiction.
Speaker 2: As a broadcaster, after your career, I mean, you've been outspoken about a number of issues including you know, immigration rights, the war in Gaza. I know that the BBC or former employer didn't always love you talking about issues that were not soccer. In the US, athletes are often scolded for having political opinions or talking about social issues. Fox News host famously told Lebron James to shut up and dribble, which is a very nice way to talk to someone. How did you think about when in how to speak out and about what issues?
Speaker 5: I think it came with social media because so suddenly you get a platform, whereas before social media, unless you're asked in the occasional interview, which I was occasionally about certain things outside of football, you don't really get the opportunity to share your views. I've always felt strongly and tried to, you know, stand up for humanitarian rights, et cetera. So I think it's I understand why most sports people don't get involved, because.
Speaker 4: You do get a lot of shit when you do it.
Speaker 5: I got that as well, but it's generally shipped from people with some kind of vested interest in the opposite view to that you've got. And it's generally from the people that clam go on and on and on about free speech. There's you know, where there's free speech, But as soon as you do it as a sportsperson, oh no, you stick to you stick to talking about football, right, We don't want to hear your political opinions.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I suppose I got.
Speaker 5: I started voicing my concerns about various things on social media and it went from from there.
Speaker 4: Really. But I just sometimes if I see something where I think there's a dreadful wrong going on, I just.
Speaker 5: Feel the need to speak up about it, And I understand why some people don't because it can make your life very difficult.
Speaker 4: But for me, I the only person you can control really is yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, if you go home at the end of the day and look yourself in the mirror and you think, Okay, I did the right thing today, it probably doesn't make any difference to anybody, but you've got to live with yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it makes a difference. Listen.
Speaker 2: I think it's we live in a world where people are very cynical, and when they see someone they know and they trust because they've watched you on TV for twenty years talking.
Speaker 1: About the war and Gaza, for example.
Speaker 2: I think that matters, and it makes people think about stuff they might otherwise not have thought about and not have heard about. But also, you know, back to our conversation about like the friction free gambling and the ease of social media, I know it makes it like almost too easy to speak out on things sometimes, Like I know you had an incident where you shared a video that included some offensive imagery. You deleted it, you unreservedly apologize. You said it was a mistake, you didn't see you know, the image in there, you never would have shared. But like, did that make you feel like chastened and want to retreat from conversations or how did you deal with that?
Speaker 5: I mean, I had a few incidents over my career with BBC because they have this partiality rules that actually didn't apply to people outside of news and current affairs. But then they moved, they moved the goalposts and made it true for everyone. But I'd also got into the habit thing, so I'd had a couple of fall outs with them prior, and I always felt I was in the right on those. But the last one that kind of made my decision to leave the BBC a little bit earlier, was that genuinely concerned because that was, you know, absolutely an honest era. You know, I was posting something and there was a little tiny rat emoji on the post, which I genuinely didn't see.
Speaker 4: I mean, I am stupid, but I'm not that stupid enough to have posted that deliberately.
Speaker 5: And you know, I was made aware that it's apparently some kind of anti Semitic trope. Although you know, why rodents would ever be compared with human beings, I don't know, but obviously as soon as I was aware of it, I took it straight down and I apologize but I felt bad about that because that was my fault. I should have been more vigilant and I should have seen it, but I didn't. But as soon as I did, I took it down. So that wasn't easy.
Speaker 4: That was a tough few days because I I wasn't pleased with myself on that one.
Speaker 5: But it's one of those things, and sometimes things happen for a reason. I think I've been at the BBC for thirty years and it's like a long marriage. In the end, you gently fool life, you go your separate wady to move on.
Speaker 2: There Sometimes last question about like social issues in soccer. I mean, there's just a shocking amount of racism in international soccer. I mean, earlier this week, a senator in Paraguay tweeted, like some vile stuff about a Chilian and Bappe, who, for those who don't know, is this unbelievably good guy. He's the best player on the French team. He's one of the best in the world. Like I don't it's hard not to like him. But she's like been this ongoing fight with him now. A couple of years ago, England lost in the finals of the European championship game and then three black players on the team were subjected with this deluge of racist abuse on social media.
Speaker 1: And I know FIFA has like.
Speaker 2: Run all these kind of anti racism campaigns, but you see critics say, like it's really just marketing, it's not substance. Do you think there's there's more that FIFA International Football should do to kind of punish and prevent this behavior.
Speaker 4: I think they.
Speaker 5: Genuinely do try to be honest and there will be supportive on I can speak for the Premier League. I think they do a lot of good in this area, and it's not just performative stuff that they do, some really important things.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, and as we see a lot in the world nowadays, there will always be isolated attacks on people.
Speaker 4: You talked about the Paraguay and senator.
Speaker 5: I believe that cast abuse on killing them up in it was outrageously racist.
Speaker 4: I wasn't even trying to hide it.
Speaker 5: And then he responded and then she responded again, claiming to be the victim, and it was quite absurd. So and you talked about the three penalty takers through it, and you know that's a load of people on social media, as we all know.
Speaker 4: I don't think they were view shared by the vast majority.
Speaker 5: But there is an issue not just in sport, but in every walk of life in terms of racism. And again I'll go to the sometimes the people at the top, the people in our governments.
Speaker 4: Do they do it? Do they do enough? You know? Is it a football issue or is it a societal issue?
Speaker 5: I think it's the latter, and it's you know, you just need more from your governments, and you need them to set a good example, not a bad example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're not getting a lot of help from the United States on that rightday. I have to agree with you, indeed, not sending our best. It's over in the US. Pads in America is brought to you by Smalls. Smalls makes fresh human grade food for cats. It's made from the same stuff you or I would eat, but formulated specifically to help cats thrive. Cats are obligate carnivores who need lots of real meat to stay healthy. But most cat foods out there use meat byproducts and cut their food with cheap grains, fillers, and artificial ingredients. Basically, it's full of stuff that isn't great for your cat. So just the big pet food companies can save a.
Speaker 3: Couple of bucks.
Speaker 2: Smalls is different their fresh recipes or over eighty percent animal protein. Then they never use fillers or artificial ingredients. Their food is so healthy that eighty eight percent of cat parents say that after feeding Smalls they notice that their cat is better digestion and softer and shinier and has more energy to play.
Speaker 3: Because it's actually good for cats.
Speaker 2: If you want to invest in your cat's health, Smalls is giving you sixty percent off your cat's first order, plus free shipping and free treats for life when you go to smalls dot com slash crooked. That's sixty percent off your first order plus free shipping and free treats for life when you head to smalls dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do some fun stuff to end this. So back to the World Cup.
Speaker 2: France looks unstoppable, Spain has unbelievable talent. I got to see them in person against Austria here in La Argentina has messy, Norway has holland England is stacked. We'll recording this Friday before the Spain belt some game. But at the moment, who do you think is best position to win this thing.
Speaker 4: When is this guying out? When he was Sunday drop Sunday. So I'm going to look a fool there.
Speaker 1: Both of us. Yeah, I put it to Morocco is going to win it all, so I'll start it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good, we do know that result, which we've already had that one.
Speaker 6: So I.
Speaker 5: Can't see Belgium living with Spain. I think Spain with that relatively comfortably.
Speaker 4: Then I go England Norway. It sounds like England should win easily, but Norway going to be tough.
Speaker 1: Oh man, he's he's like a horse there.
Speaker 5: He's the most Viking looking guy I've ever seen in my life, and he's a great guy.
Speaker 4: I know Erling really well.
Speaker 5: I've interviewed him a few times and he's got a lovely sense of humor.
Speaker 4: Boy can he play? Can he finish?
Speaker 5: I mean he just scores goals, so he's going to if we If England can stop him, they'll have a good chance.
Speaker 4: I think England have to be slight faces. I'm going to go with England.
Speaker 5: I can't not go with as an Englishman myself, but you know, I've I just want it happened in my I was too young to remember nineteen sixty six when England won the World Cup for the for the only time.
Speaker 4: So I've suffered so many times.
Speaker 5: I just want, I just want us to win it before I die, just once, just once, please, So But yeah, so I'll go England and then.
Speaker 4: I think Argentina should beat Switch.
Speaker 5: I think Switzerland done really well to get to the quart finals, but I think I think their time is probably and the Little Fellas just too.
Speaker 1: Good mess, too good.
Speaker 2: Everyone in Boston where I'm from, fell in love with the Scottish fans. You know, they were singing at Fenway Park, they were out there drinking the bars, you know, out of beer.
Speaker 1: Were they that lovable when you were playing against them? The Tartan Army, were they?
Speaker 4: Fuck? They was horrendous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they don't like us very much. I mean, I think they've probably got good reason but from him in history. But no, they they were tough to play against. But it's the weird thing is as English, we actually really enjoyed what Scotland were doing, the fans stuff, and I genuinely wanted, we genuinely want them to do well. The opposite is true for them. They desperately want us to lose every single time we play. So but their fans were made their fans. I think they won the World Cup of the Fan World.
Speaker 4: Cup, didn't they?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 5: But you know, but then you got the Japanese and the Mexicans were incredible. English I mean all the English fans were slightly apprehensive about going to Mexico City with Mexico's fans, and they all were a little bit nervous, but every single one of them has come away saying how amazing it was, how wonderful the Mexican fans were, how they treated English fans, how they all holgd together on the final whistle, even despite that extraordinary game, where and Mexico played so well with great heart, and it was and that for me is the most beautiful thing about this competition.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: There was an amazing image of that. I think it was a bunch of fans from Columbia. I think when they played Dr Congo and there was one guy from the Congo in this giant sea of yellow jerseys holding up his phone, singing his national anthem by himself, and everyone respectfully kept quiet, and they are jumped and hugged him after and it was just you know, the beautiful.
Speaker 5: Market, some of those things. I mean, they could teach us all the lessons. Can football save the world?
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, I think you're working on it over there, col Hanger. You played your whole career without getting a single yellow or a red car.
Speaker 3: And how is that possible?
Speaker 4: I never tackled anyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when I played, it was they didn't dish out yellow cards like they quite as theatrically and quite as frequently as they do now.
Speaker 4: So there was a degree of that. But having said that, I'm not sure there's anyone else done it. But it was mad. Really, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I haven't got temper. I haven't I don't really have a temper. So I was never gonna, you know, lambaster referee. I could winge a little bit, but just I didn't call them any terrible names. And I wasn't overly physical as a player, and I got kicked a lot. But the thing is, you know, can that make that can make you angry sometimes, But the truth is the only time it really makes you angry is when it hurts a lot and you're laying on the floor for a minute, and by the time for the time you've been treated, you're okay again. Your temper's like gone down. Yeah, a variety of reasons, but it is a bit mad. I didn't even think about it until near the end of my career and people started saying, he's never been booked, he's never had a yellow card, and then I started to think, you know, it was in my mind a little bit on occasions, and I just thought, maybe my last ever game. I remember playing my last match, I was thinking, maybe I should just punch around.
Speaker 1: To go ahead in the blaze of glory, just beat the goalie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Actual, I wouldn't mess with the goalies. Those guys look like Jesus Chraig. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was told to ask about the closest you ever came to getting carted. I don't know if that's a story there.
Speaker 4: I was in that was in Spain.
Speaker 5: Funny enough, I was very He went through his pocket and and my offense was laughing at his decision.
Speaker 4: He made a ridiculous decision.
Speaker 5: I just burst its laughter and he went with the pocket and I said to him, you're going to give me a yellow card for laughing, And he put his hand back and that was it.
Speaker 1: Just laughing in his face.
Speaker 4: I was just I was just laughing out loud, not in his face. Oh, I was just laughing.
Speaker 2: Absurd decision, that sounds fun. I love when the refs get pissy. You know, you can tell when they have a little bit of an ego. You played in the infamous or famous, just famous Hand of God game against Diego Maradonna in the nineteen eighty six World Cup.
Speaker 1: Can you tell listeners who might.
Speaker 2: Be unfamiliar with that game just a bit about what happened in Maradonna Because it's like it is, it was famous game in history.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like it is. I I think it is.
Speaker 5: I think because of a variety of reasons. Four years previously the two countries were at war with the Falklands or Malvinas as they call it, so that had an effect, and then it was built up before because of this that you know, our Argentina going to revenge England's war victory, if you like to call it that. So that was a big deal, and they had the Argentinian side had Diego Maradonna, who was the greatest football that I certainly played against that played with him once as well.
Speaker 4: He was the best of his time is In terms for me, the best.
Speaker 5: Players ever have been two two Argentinians and a Brazilian Pele Maradonna, and now Messi.
Speaker 4: Messi for me beats them all. But and who was playing in this game?
Speaker 5: And it was pretty awful first half for the most famous game in history, but the second half kind.
Speaker 4: Of heated up a bit.
Speaker 5: The ball lumped into the air and Diego went said had it, But in the end he punched it over our goalkeeper's head. Now now I hate them when it's done to our game, but I could have done with it that day. So he punched it in and there was obviously there's huge ramifications for that. And then just a few minutes later he scored what I think is the greatest goal that's ever been scored in the football match.
Speaker 4: I've seen couple of similons.
Speaker 5: Messi scored one very similar, but you have to take into account this was a quarter final of a World Cup in Mexico City, in the Azteca, with these two huge countries and Diego doing what he did was It's the one time where I was on a pitch and somebody did something on the opposite side where I felt I ought to applaud I didn't because that would not have gone down very well at home.
Speaker 4: And then after that, I scored the goal that no one remembers.
Speaker 1: Actually, there you go, there you go my proof.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I scored my head.
Speaker 5: And then in the very last seconds of the game, a ball came across again from John Barnes, our left winger, who made a massive difference in the game, flipped it over.
Speaker 4: I was coming at the flopper. I knew I was going to score, and.
Speaker 5: From somewhere a lot of good chair their their left back came up and it hit the back of his head and went out. So that was yeah, which you know, I'm almost over it now, it's only it's only forty years.
Speaker 1: Does it still hurt to have lost? Or it's just cool to have been a part of history.
Speaker 4: And it's cool to have been a part of that. Yeah, history, that's I'd still would have preferred.
Speaker 3: To have won you.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, folks should go on YouTube and check out the really beautiful tribute you did to Maradona when he passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's worth watching. Would you ever run for office?
Speaker 4: Nope, that's the easiest question to give, asked. Nope, I'm interested I'm interested in politics, but have no interest in being a politician.
Speaker 1: What about what's his name, Bennie mcbinface, Count Binface.
Speaker 4: That guy keeps Count bin Face.
Speaker 1: Would we like his platform?
Speaker 4: I like his head.
Speaker 2: For those of you are, there's a guy who wears kind of dressed like Star Wars and wears a trash can on his head, and he runs in every special election.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he runs everywhere. He's every kind of by election that he'll turn up. But normally there's a load of other politicians as well. But it does appear that in this by election in Clacton, which has been completely manufactured by Nigel Farage to time distract.
Speaker 4: From from his murky goings on, and he's drifting.
Speaker 5: So but it doesn't look like any of the other parties in our country are going to put up a politician to run against him. So it might be that Farage runs against Count Binface, and if Count bin feds ones, that will be the.
Speaker 4: Greatest day in political.
Speaker 1: History, the greatest. Le's make it happen.
Speaker 4: Let's make it happen.
Speaker 2: If, oh my god, if you Count bin Face beats Nigel Farage, I will laugh so hard. It would be so much better than Liz Truss in the lettuce or anything else.
Speaker 4: Better.
Speaker 1: It would final question for you.
Speaker 2: So my buddy Roger Bennett encouraged me to be an Everton fan a couple of years ago. I have to say it hasn't been the most fun winning experience. But I watched the World Cup and I see that you know the England goalie who plays for Everton, Jordan Pickford, playing lights out. You see former Everton players like Lukaku scoring for Belgium. What what is what is Everton doing? What do we need to do to get them back on track?
Speaker 5: Well, I played for Everton way back. Yeah, one year though. It was amazing, my best season. Scored a hell of a lot of goals. Best team I've played for in the mid eighties. They were brilliant, such a strong side. You know, they've been through the mill a little bit and things haven't got happened for a long time.
Speaker 4: They've picked up a.
Speaker 5: Bit of late, but yeah, it's a great football club though, and that's what supporting. I'm sure it's the same in American sports, you know, the suffering makes it, The awful times make the good times better.
Speaker 4: As long as you do get some good times at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta tell you, as a Red Sox fan, we were like the lovable losers for years and years and years. The fieldser's a kid to how England feels about winning a World Cup. And then we started winning everything and there's a bit of you that misses the hurt and misses the underdog, and now everyone just hates us, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's what happens when you get successful. So what do you want?
Speaker 5: You want to be successful when trophies have loads of joy, or do you want to everyone to hate you?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 1: Really it's a tough goal. I think the former.
Speaker 4: I agree, Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly.
Speaker 2: Last last question is playing in Barcelona or playing and spaying the most fun thing in the world that seems so cool.
Speaker 4: Playing for Barcelon is amazing. I mean, I was there for three years. It's it's a monstrously big football club.
Speaker 5: It's a bit of a madhouse, but it's so special, and especially when you play those games against Real Madrid. Let's we call them the Classic Coast. I mean, it's like it's nothing you can imagine. The first one I ever played in I scored hat trick, scored three goals, in the game and we won.
Speaker 4: We won three two, and there were.
Speaker 5: One hundred and twenty thousand people in the stadium and every single one of them was a Barcelona fan.
Speaker 4: There was no away fans.
Speaker 5: There were no because we I don't know whether you get that in New American sports, whether you get many fans that travel to watch their team play, I don't know. But in England we do every you know, we're a small country. It's quite easy to get around to be awake to the away grounds. But this was like, honestly, I had scored two goals in the first five minutes. I had goose bumps all over me with the noise and that it was so special and those games are so big.
Speaker 4: But yeah, my three years there were probably the highlight of mine, my career.
Speaker 1: I bet you didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't didn't pay for your own top us very often when you went out happy fan base question.
Speaker 5: They were very sweet. They were very sweet the boss. And the weird thing is they were so respectful. They'd never like, they wouldn't bother you too much. You know, they'd see you and they'd not but they wouldn't. I mean, I don't know, that's probably changed now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think the camera phone changed that and everyone should like click click click listen, Gary, I've taken up enough of your time. Thank you so much for doing the show. Everyone should check out the rest is football everything Goalhanger is doing. You guys make amazing shows just you know, just a hit machine over there, So thank you for your time. Check out the show on Netflix. Also, by the way, and enjoy the rest of World Cup.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the plug, and thank you for having me joyed it.
Speaker 1: Truly my pleasure.
Speaker 7: Pods in America is a cricket media production. Our show was produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcote, Charlottelandis, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Sengle. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East.
Speaker 6: You