Speaker 1: I'm hoping they can hear us. I'm not too sure. Let's go. I hope we're back on. This is Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver.
Speaker 2: Then the computer didn't go on with the commercials properly. So I'm hoping that you can just can hear us. If you have, just text me real quick and you can hear us. Let us know. We're gonna go through some news of the day kind of right. You had some stuff from involving U of A Baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seven players earned All conference recognition in the Big twelve. First year in the Big twelve, so good news. There seven Wildcats named of the All Conference team. None were on the first team, though there were others. Tony Pluta and Mason Whiteboat juniors earned second team honors, and Pluta, by the way, was named the Big twelve Scholar Athlete of the Year May during and aerospace engineering and pitching for the Wildcats.
Speaker 1: So he reds to him.
Speaker 3: He's got the twelve saves leaves the Big twelve in saves. So you know, good honors for the U of A team as they get ready to begin the Big Twelve tournament later this week.
Speaker 2: So I got a surprising text earlier today before it came on the show that they team up baseball team did not get picked to go to the tournament. They had a fantastic year forty seven and thirteen, they were not picked as at large. We had coach Ken Hakamie on last week. They were hopeful that did get a large bid, but instead they did not get picked for the World Series. At the Junior College Series, they.
Speaker 1: Didn't qualify through the tournament or anything like that.
Speaker 2: No, they just didn't know. They didn't win. The lead the tournament in the league. So forty seven and thirteen, most wins since nineteen eighty five when they won forty eight, they were twenty nine and eleven in ACCAC play, most wins since eighty seven, and they had thirty. They set a new record with forty five regular season victories. They earned a number one seed number two seed in the Regional one Division two tournament and came away with a runner up tournament trophy. They went thirty one seven at the West Campus aztec Field and ken Hockami is two sixty five and one eight seven seasons. So all that and they didn't get in. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, we got some breaking news though from baseball, other baseball news. We can give credit to Javier Morales and the guys over at All Sports tuson telling us about some Mexican Pacific League games are gonna be played at Quino Stadium. I guess there was a news conference earlier today, okay about the Mayos de Navajoa from Sonora. The Mexican Pacific League made it official with this press conference today.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be the first team.
Speaker 3: Based in the US that will play in the Mexican Winter circuits, So.
Speaker 1: Starting, I think starting starting in the winter. Yeah, in the winter.
Speaker 2: Well I'm gonna have I think I'm gonna have Blake tomorrow. Blake Eager from he handles all this stuff. He couldn't tell me anything officially, but they've been working on this for a while obvious.
Speaker 3: Yah, we've we've kind of kind of knew something was up. So yeah, there's always a number of either major leaguers or maybe high minor leaguers you know, from the US playing in these games, so there could be some names will recognize it.
Speaker 1: What else is that a tweet? Was that a tweet? By story? Okay? In all sports?
Speaker 3: All sports, So congrats are I'm looking forward to it. I think it's yeah, you'll be there. You know baseball, so you'll be there, you putty, don't drink? Do you drink like a baseball Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just the beer.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So you got back from Bush Stadium? Well yeah you did there. Wait, you were probably driving. You're probably taking ubers everywhere. No, no, you're walking even better. Yeah yeah, okay, No, that'll be fun. That'll be fun.
Speaker 1: Just more than one team or just one team?
Speaker 3: Well, I think this is the one team that's going to be here, so that I assume they'll just be bringing in other teams to come.
Speaker 2: You know, well they have the I bet you they're going to have some of the the the what do.
Speaker 1: You call the Fall League the Mexican Baseball Yes, yeah, you know, but the Fall League too. There.
Speaker 2: I think you were trying to get some teams to get into that. Yeah, maybe maybe that had been mentioned too. I'll have Blake and maybe he can fill us in with some of the stuff too meorrow.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I feel bad because I don't recognize some of these names. But the team did have four players in major league organizations last winter.
Speaker 1: Then they may have been you.
Speaker 3: Know, low minor leaguers, but there are some players that are getting a chance to play.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be good baseball.
Speaker 2: It yeah, good good baseball for people who want to go out and see the baseball programs.
Speaker 3: They that team has been around since nineteen fifty nine, so they have a following.
Speaker 2: Maybe there'll be some people coming up here. If you're listening, I know you are, because you have nothing else to do. You know, you can call us with this story more information if you have it real quick before we get to coach Pivle on anything else. I know, the Big Pima this and you said academics with baseball, the men's with you bank baseball. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know some guys that were made honorable mention well for second team, Brendan summer Hill of course, who's going to probably be a first round pick, starting pitcher, Owen Cramkowski, Donnis Guzman, all these guys made the you know, the all Big twelve team basically, so they're all getting set for the tournament to start.
Speaker 1: I think tomorrow the.
Speaker 3: Games begin, and I think the UA waits to play the winner of I think ASU and somebody forgetting exactly we mentioned that help play Thursday.
Speaker 1: And then I don't know if you want to get into.
Speaker 3: The Fred Harvey story, Oh ahead, please, yoh yes, that maybe later in the show if you want. But Fred Harvey, the longtime track coach at the u of A, announcing his retirement after thirty eight years at the end of this twenty twenty five outdoor season. He has been the coach, the longest running coach at the u of A. Were the last of the coaches hired by said Dempsey, who's still there, and off he goes. He's gonna you know, he's had an incredible career. So many All Americans, eleven national champions, you know, one hundred and sixty athletes who've either won indoor outdoor All American honors. I mean, it's a year after year, whether it's you know, track or field. The cross country distance runners have been a made.
Speaker 2: Did you give his new title? And he's gonna have a new title.
Speaker 3: He's going to be coach emeritus, So I assume he'll be involved.
Speaker 1: In some some way.
Speaker 3: I don't know if my Candrea sort of has the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but he's still around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be there. It's one of the he's one of he's never going to leave the track, right. I'm sure we.
Speaker 2: Had him on I don't know a week or so ago and gave no hint to this. Obviously they gave no hint to this, but he did sound different to me. But yeah, what do I know?
Speaker 1: Well, he's good.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's like I said, you know, I've known him for a long time too, and he's been part of the u of athletic department for a long time through all kinds of athletic directors. Some said delive and good Rocky Lrose he was talking about today.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was a statement or if they if they had to sit.
Speaker 3: Down with him, but he's you know, Greg Byrne, Dave Pike, Erica Barnes and now Desiree.
Speaker 1: So he's he's worked for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: You saw his statement, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, he mentioned all of them.
Speaker 1: So, okay, do you see that they're going to have flag football?
Speaker 2: You need, They're gonna have flag football at the Olympics right right now they have NFL.
Speaker 3: People, can you imagine what that's going to be? Like crazy, that's going to be. That's going to be at the LA Olympics, right yeah, like they need more, right, more crazy. It just takes away the the chance for non NFL players to Yeah, that was more. I thought they were looking more like college players in college. I'm sure they were until now amateurs so called amateurs. But mhm, where I wonder where they're gonna play. It's been out there, but because I mean, they have so many stadiums in California, I know they're using it for soccer.
Speaker 1: And did you go in eighty four? I'd like to go. Would you like to cover it?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: What this next? One of the Olympics?
Speaker 2: I covered the Greek the Greece one and the the Sydney one. For USA today, I don't know, it's this is I'm old. I'm well, dude, by the time I'll be sixty fourish. It's it's it's a lot of work, eighteen hour days. Probably not and traffic is crazy. Back in the day, they I'm sure same thing you lived in all in a media in the media area media hut, and then they the buses took you wherever you needed to go. Those were the good things. The bad things that you still have to do with the traffic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm now at the stage too, well, I would go as a spectator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can just pick and choose. Let's see what I can get tickets from.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm sure it's going to be impossible for some things, you know, if you want to go watch you know, archery or something like that.
Speaker 2: Do you remember much of the eighty four you were just still kind of starting here.
Speaker 3: Here, Yeah, you know, I mean obviously it was at the coliseum.
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 3: Carl Lewis was huge. The Olympic team was was you know, Jordan what didn't that year? Jordan didn't make the team?
Speaker 1: Maybe No, I don't think so. I'm eighty eight was eighty eight.
Speaker 2: It was kind of a wheelhouse that was like Sean too and Shawn didn't make it, right.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it was it was a big deal to have the Olympics back in the United States because it hadn't been here for a long time. What have we not had the Olympics since Atlanta ninety six? Yeah, that was the Inpas bombing. That one night. I remember we were on the air. I think I don't know if ABC was covering. It might have been an NBC game NBC broadcast, but I remember being on the set and things were going crazy, and sure, there's this explosion.
Speaker 2: The God I was thinking about the bomber that they said bomb, but it wasn't. God. I just just a couple of days ago because it kind of changed journalism. How they really messed with him. And then you have to get sources because they screwed that story up.
Speaker 1: What was his name? God?
Speaker 2: They did a movie about it. I saw the movie too, and I was thinking about this yesterday. I don't know why, but it was it was I want to say Jeffrey, but it's not Jeffrey.
Speaker 1: Are you googling now? Was it Eric Rudolph? No?
Speaker 2: He was the Yeah, he was the dude that they yeah, that they didn't know he was hiding in the woods. God, Richard Jewel. That's it, the Richard Jewel situation. They blamed very sad. They ruined his life, him and his mom's life, chasing him down and doing all these things, and.
Speaker 1: He just wanted to be a security guard. Yeah, it was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It talks about some of the innocence of our time on television in those years too, because I remember I can't remember exact time of night it happened, but I was at this I might have been the only anchor at the station.
Speaker 1: It was everybody. It was a dinner. It was about seven eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: So I remember, well.
Speaker 1: Going on going on to the set. We need you out there talking about this. We had nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean we had you know, I had our producer talking to my ear the entire time saying, okay, you know there's this, and I think ABC may have cut in to whatever their programming because NBC was covering it, covering the games then.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is another one of those moments, like almost thirty years ago. Yeah, I was able to pull it off. And you talk about innocence and journalism, Well, no, really, we had nothing.
Speaker 3: You know, we didn't have laptops, we didn't have instant news coming to use.
Speaker 1: I didn't have we didn't.
Speaker 3: Have phones, your cell phone, Twitter or anything like that getting information.
Speaker 1: So somebody was really feeding or were you you were?
Speaker 2: I was at dinner and get back to the the set.
Speaker 1: Somebody needs to go out there and cut in. We're gonna cut it in and do something. Oh I see, I see the programming break.
Speaker 3: Into whatever, you know, full house or whatever we were showing, you know, right, So it was it was a It was a great moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a very sad broadcasting.
Speaker 2: That was very sad when that eventually news came out that he was not the guy, but it was the Richard rich the other guy, yeah, who had bombed a few things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Richard Jewel was the was the hapless former cop, Yeah, turned security guard and they thought that, you know, he had some some bag. But how did we get off to the subject.
Speaker 2: Just just just Olympics with the play football situation, having covered having covered a couple Yeah, yeah, no I didn't go.
Speaker 3: I did not go to eighty four, but we did have our legendary Ed Sorenson, our sportscaster who was there I worked with, was there and tried to cover it.
Speaker 1: It was hard. It was even in those years. It was difficult.
Speaker 3: It was a local station because you didn't really have any access to anything. Even then, well, he was ware, he was he was in l Al.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's just it's just not what people think. It's it's a lot of it.
Speaker 2: And back in two thousand, two thousand and four, it was after the two thousand wasn't like this two thousand and four. Uh, security was crazy because the bombing us. It was it was military people with machine guns everywhere. I mean, just felt surreal. It's just kind of wow, this is the world we live in and probably will live in the rest of our lives.
Speaker 1: I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just just at the time just so heavy. Now not so much at least, I don't think so. It's gonna be interesting how LA handles this. Oh yeah, of course, of course, especially with the World.
Speaker 3: Cup coming next year, it'll be kind of a try run to see how these international events are going to be going on in the United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what time is said?
Speaker 2: We got about fourteen, LESCo He's gonna call us Coach Peple's gonna call us in about three four minutes and we'll talk championship again.
Speaker 6: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams, frowsy aisles of in stock, cabinets of sillable in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Monday to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: Spring is in the air and this school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier.
Speaker 2: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 5: They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock, and Custom Awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 7: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 1: Visit Volpe team dot com.
Speaker 7: That's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lendrick syncredic rates and available loan programs or subject to change with nut notice.
Speaker 8: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. You're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 1: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 8: Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 5: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Baccall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud.
Speaker 1: Sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 9: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Wi mining so important.
Speaker 10: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society.
Speaker 1: Everything you see is a product.
Speaker 10: Of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals. A process that's wilining.
Speaker 9: Is so important.
Speaker 2: GODYBGYBM dot com.
Speaker 6: Looking for quality windows without the weight, Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of Millgard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window Deepot dot com to find a location near you. N see why we're your Millard window experts.
Speaker 11: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show call out Steve now went five to two oh four, one, six seventy four for days.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my the ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Dave silver. Now on the phone, we have coach Danny Prebble from South Point Championship Baseball team. Coach, how you doing doing very well? Thank you great, great another championship for south Point. How was it not that it was easy last night? But uh, tell us about last night.
Speaker 4: Never easy.
Speaker 12: You know the boys, they've been fired up for a long time for this and uh, they showed up and showed out really well last night. They were they were excited to be there and and they put it on the.
Speaker 4: Field for sure.
Speaker 3: Nice to get up eight to nothing quickly too, and that's kind of how things settled as far as the final score goes, too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 12: We we we learned our lesson in the first game of the playoffs against Saint Mary's.
Speaker 4: You know, we command confident.
Speaker 12: Playing well and you look up in the bottom of the fourth inning and we're chasing seven runs.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, this is this is real? You know.
Speaker 12: So from there on out, we we really got out of the gates fast against the remaining teams.
Speaker 4: That we played. You know, we we got out.
Speaker 12: Fast in the in the semi against Ironood Ridge and had had an opportunity to really blow things out of the water, and then we kind of sculped for a few ins.
Speaker 4: And made it interesting in the end.
Speaker 12: But you know, coming out and fast really helped us in the in the last four games of the tournament.
Speaker 2: Was it This is a dumb question, but you get that scare, Uh it wakes you up? Or you know, was that what woke you up? And it okay, you know we can't do this again.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think it was a big wake up call.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 12: We we we spent a week in Vegas, and I thought that that was gonna be kind of a wake up call for us. We went up there and and we went one and three on the week, and you step back and you realize we lose three one run ball games in Vegas to some really really high level competition over there. So it was, you know, we're we're in close ball games with really competitive team.
Speaker 4: So there wasn't really a like a smack in the mouth, if you will. You know. Then we come back and we get back into region play and we go to Mica and and and handle them pretty pretty easily that day. And then the end of the week we go down.
Speaker 12: To No Gallas and No Gallas was ready for us, and they really put it on us. You know, they beat us eleven to one down at their place, and we we didn't have an answer for anything.
Speaker 4: You know, our guy on the mound that night.
Speaker 12: And Estabjorkez threw really well. And then you look up and we're getting beat eleven to one. You know, they're putting balls and play. We did a few things that weren't real normal for us, and I think that was the start of the wake.
Speaker 4: Up call, you know.
Speaker 12: And then we have a game against Fotill's to wrap up this season on that Monday in a week to prepare for Saint Mary's, and not that we were overlooking them, but gosh, they came in and they were they were hitting pitches that you know, you would you would see getting balls over their heads and down in the dirt, and you know, it was just like a blatty Guerrero show because they were putting everything in play and putting it in play hard. And then, you know, like I said, you look up and it's down. We're down seven zero going into the fourth. It's like, oh boy.
Speaker 4: So that you know, we had a few hurdles towards the end of the.
Speaker 12: Season, but the Saint Mary's when I think really kick things into gear for us.
Speaker 3: How much did you lean on your seniors? He got a huge senior class with thirteen guys out.
Speaker 4: There, thirteen guys, huge senior class. Leaned on them every day.
Speaker 12: You know, they were our leaders, Lucy saying, and it's been our catcher for most of the year.
Speaker 4: Isaiah Moraga, who was our number one guy in the Moundboy year, I see.
Speaker 12: Again, Uh had had a really great year for us, and you know, he had every opportunity to kind of tuck his tail and run and hide, but he didn't.
Speaker 4: You know, he scuffled pretty bad in the middle of the season.
Speaker 12: And we sat him down and Uh, we put a freshman out there in his place, and the freshman had.
Speaker 4: A good two weeks. You know, talk about getting smacked.
Speaker 12: In the mouth and saying, oh, you know, I just lost my job, and you know, all the way through it, he was a great teammate. He was a team first guy and continued to grind and continue it.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't anything that he was doing wrong. He was just scuffling.
Speaker 12: And you know, we put him back in the lineup, and I think he ended up being our lead and hitter for the for the remainder of the season and really carried the the middle of that lineup for us.
Speaker 2: It's funny baseball kind of teaches those lessons, right you sent somebody down or whatever, it could go either right, and it went right for you guys, and for him.
Speaker 4: It absolutely did.
Speaker 2: It absolutely did because he's a You talked about him being a pretty good kid, level head, stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, in our program, our our guys.
Speaker 12: May not always like it, m M, but they're always gonna get the absolute truth.
Speaker 4: You know, why aren't you playing?
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 4: Why why am I not playing? Coach, Well, this is why.
Speaker 12: And they have a very good understanding, and we have really good relationships.
Speaker 4: With our kids, so we have the ability to just be black and white with them. You're not doing X, Y and Z, but this guy is right now. Okay, I don't like it.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna work on it, and I'm gonna try and I'm gonna try and get my spot back. And sometimes it works in the ostile situation and other situations it didn't, but you just keep grinding, and.
Speaker 4: All of our kids really did a good job of that all all season this year.
Speaker 3: Lucas Shannon obviously, great record, perfect record, big big game yesterday, and he's going to what you Niversity of San Diego. So he's going to continue on after this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he's he He was kind of our our basing the hole, if you will.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously he's.
Speaker 12: Going to USD and going into this season, I would guess that he was going.
Speaker 4: There primarily to be an arm.
Speaker 12: For them, but he's also a very good catcher and he really really had a great year at.
Speaker 4: To play for US this year.
Speaker 12: So you know, I think usd's got a potential two way guy on their hands, and at least they should look really hard at it.
Speaker 4: But with that in mind, we told.
Speaker 12: Luke's at the beginning, you're gonna catch for us, and you know we're gonna we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Spot start you and get you.
Speaker 12: A couple of innings on the mound, you know, in a relief situation, and just try to keep you fresh for the end of the season, similar to what we did with.
Speaker 4: Cad McGee back in twenty one.
Speaker 12: Uh, you know, he came out and through at the end of the season for US and actually he was he closed.
Speaker 4: The game out in nineteen when we won it.
Speaker 12: And then we use Kate in twenty one very sparingly, you know, in a big game situation, if you will. And he beat Ceo that year in the in the semi to get us to the championship. So, you know, kind of the same idea we did with Lucas this year was it was fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Along with this kid. If you have thirteen seniors, how many of them are moving on to play?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 12: We have five I believe that have committed, but there are another three or four of them that are on the books somewhere just trying to make a final decision what they're going to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so talent talented, So now you lose thirteen, right, You're always thinking ahead?
Speaker 1: So what are you thinking for next year?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think the future is bright for us.
Speaker 12: You know, we've got a great program top to bottom and a lot of guys that really want to be there and playing that program and play for that school. You know, And I think a lot of people would look at as it as a rebuild, but you know, we're just gonna keep going and doing what we're doing.
Speaker 4: I think I think will be good.
Speaker 1: Does the rebuild begin this summer?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 3: Are these kids are gonna kind of stay together as a team as they go off and play summer baseball.
Speaker 1: How does that work.
Speaker 12: We're actually gonna make a little bit of a change this year. We're gonna we're gonna not do anything this summer because it just is.
Speaker 4: All very quick, you know, when you play, When you play into May and.
Speaker 12: Graduation and in the school and finals and all the things that these kids have.
Speaker 4: To be challenged by.
Speaker 12: It makes it difficult to get the summer season doing because the summer season in a in a normal calendar, If we were doing our normal thing, our summer season would start this coming weekend at a tournament in Prescott.
Speaker 4: You know, so there's no no break there.
Speaker 12: So we're just gonna take the summer off as a as a program. You know, all of our guys are gonna go do something somewhere and then we'll pick back up in the fall and go with our normal.
Speaker 4: Fall program and get ready for January starting in August.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one really talks about that, especially in high school.
Speaker 1: It's almost three sixty five pretty much.
Speaker 4: It is. It is. You know, if they're not playing with us, they're playing somewhere else. You know. We try to have conversations with guys about you know, where are you gonna play, who you're gonna play with? What are you looking to get out of it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Is this an organization?
Speaker 13: And there are organizations out there that are that are using kids in general, not just our kids, but they're using kids to you know, make their name in the club world if you will, you know.
Speaker 12: So, you know, we've gotten reports back, you know, so and so through one hundred and forty pitches this weekend.
Speaker 4: Why right, Well, they told us that there were going to be college coaches there. Well, did you look at a calendar?
Speaker 12: You know, is it a is it a dead period for college coaches that they can't be there?
Speaker 4: Is it a you know, what kind of a what kind of eyes were on you?
Speaker 12: So those are the kinds of questions that we try to help our kids navigate and make sure that they're doing what's best for.
Speaker 4: Them, not only for their future, but for their health.
Speaker 1: Currently, did you coach Mason White? Was he there with you?
Speaker 5: He was?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How his career is going with the U of A.
Speaker 4: Not not not real surprising, not real surprising? You know, Uh, he can really swing it.
Speaker 12: Oh boy, Yeah, I haven't gotten the opportunity this year with everything else that's going on to get out there and see him. But you know, you see the highlights on social and you try and watch it, pick up a ball game here and there on TV.
Speaker 4: And it's been a lot better now in the Big twelve because they're basically on every every game.
Speaker 12: And it's easy to see unlike the old Pac twelve network, right, you know, so it's easy to watch him.
Speaker 4: But uh, he's he's had a great career.
Speaker 12: Would not surprise me in the least if if he goes somewhere pretty high in the draft this summer, is it?
Speaker 2: This might be another dumb question because I played a little a little ball. Uh, his grit, determination, his hard work, How did he become the player he became.
Speaker 12: I'd like to think that a lot of it came from and during our program for four years. And I know that at some point, you know, he'll sit down and realize that that we had a part in that. But his bloodlines are deep, you know. His his grandfather played at DUV played in the Reds organization. His grandfather was one of our teachers atself point for a long time, and to hear some stories of his from back in the day in spring training with the Big Red Machine and Johnny Bench and Pete.
Speaker 4: Rows and all those guys. It was just I was in awe.
Speaker 1: Who's what's the name Tim White? Tim White? Ok?
Speaker 2: Because I was with David and I Taker, but the Big Red Machine all the time, and it's like we you know, the Pete Rose situation now and Johnny Bench and all these guys. Okay, I'll have to look that up. I don't remember that name, but okay.
Speaker 12: And then his dad was a great player at south Point, a GATORAD Player of the Year at south Point. And then make Sound of the UFA had a great play at the UFA. And you know, now Mason's just falling down the line and it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Totally totally makes sense. Yeah, I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Give any other any other guys going to the u of A from this crop of players.
Speaker 4: Or not from this class. We do not have anybody going to the.
Speaker 2: Uv So this is your second one. Twenty nineteen was your other. Can you compare contrast or just totally different?
Speaker 4: The one in twenty nineteen was a blur.
Speaker 12: You know, we had the great opportunity of getting to the championship game. In twenty seventeen, we played against No Gallas at Hi.
Speaker 4: Corvette, and.
Speaker 12: I don't think we were quite ready to be in that ball game yet and No Gallas No Gallas beat us up pretty good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 12: It's that first time being in a not for the school, but in our era of the program.
Speaker 4: First time being there, you know, in the big stage and all.
Speaker 12: The people at High Corporate and No Gallas always travels really well, and so you know, it was wow.
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden the volumes over and we're we're picking up the runner up trophy.
Speaker 12: So in twenty nineteen we were a little bit more prepared for the big stage. But you know, winning the winning the first state championship in baseball in school history, and and doing so against a team that probably man for man, we shouldn't have been on the field with that with Mesquite and you talked about great determination with Mason and that would be that team.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 12: We were undersized basically every position, you know, and and to come away toious in that one, it was an absolute blur.
Speaker 4: Comparing it to to to last night. You know, you know a little bit more what to expect if it goes your way.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but it's still you know, it's still very numby. You know, you sit it, you shit it in and out after the ballgame at eleven o'clock and you're just sitting there in your thoughts and it's like, wow, what what did we just do?
Speaker 4: You know? It goes so fast, you know.
Speaker 12: And and the biggest takeaway of all of it is is the kids. You know, the dog piles and throwing water on everybody, and the smiles.
Speaker 4: And the hugs and the and the I love yous, and it was just it was incredible.
Speaker 1: Sure, what a great story it is for these kids too. You know, we're a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of old guys talking about we think about our high school years and some of the memories. But what a great memory this is going to be for them to look back on and they're they're going to always have this story as part of their life.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 12: You talk about you know, the stories and the memories. You know, that's one of the reasons that I got into this. You know, I didn't have the opportunity to play in the state championship game in high school.
Speaker 4: We got close, but the.
Speaker 12: Memories and the teammates and the bonds that that I have with the guys that I played with, and my biggest baseball mentor next to my dad, my biggest baseball mentor on the planet, Kent Winslow, and and everything that we learned under him unbelievable. And then for him to show up last night and and be there and give him a big old hug, it was.
Speaker 4: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Do you guys come back together or you guys come back separately? And on a bus or whatever.
Speaker 4: We were We were on a bus.
Speaker 12: A couple of our kids came home with our parents, but we brought We took thirty two and we came home with thirty so, you know, to try and get a few winks.
Speaker 4: On the on the bus trip home, yeah, possible. It was.
Speaker 12: It was rocking and there were strobe lights and and you know, the disco ball was out and it was it was a fun ride home.
Speaker 1: That's I wanted to say.
Speaker 2: And do you have time to I don't know, reflect on that ride home, you know, two two and a half hours, whatever it is, because you know the kids, the story is about the kids, right, But sometimes sometimes the coach needs to indulge with some fun too, and that not indulges, but you do enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, it was.
Speaker 12: You know, you sit there and and and you and you talk with the coaches and and and I would be remiss if I didn't mention our coaching staff.
Speaker 4: You know, all eleven and more guys on the on the three levels. And then you know it's it's.
Speaker 12: Been an incredible ride because of their leadership. You know, when when we started this in two thousand and nine, I got a phone call from coach Winslow and and he asked me because I was fortunate enough to take over the program after he left, and uh, he called me and he said, you're ready to be the next baseball coach of the Lanches. And and I didn't really know what was going on at that point. I hadn't heard anything. And and I said absolutely. He goes, well, I think it's coming your way. And the next phone call I made was to to Vicacunya. And you know, he's been he's been our my.
Speaker 4: Right hand man, and our brotherhood has has.
Speaker 12: Been so strong and none of this, absolutely none of this happens without him around.
Speaker 4: So but Vic has been an integral, integral.
Speaker 12: Part of all of it, and and all of our coaches that that show up every day and and grind these guys out and make them better baseball players, but more importantly better kids and young men.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's been it's been a great year.
Speaker 3: It's really been a good yeest how many how many championships does the school have this year?
Speaker 1: Soccer won one? Right games this year?
Speaker 12: This year we had four, so we have boys and girls soccer, gholst tennis was what was that last week two weeks ago? And then we won ours last night and over the weekend our our softball team and boys volleyball team came up just a little bit short, but take home a couple of runner ups.
Speaker 4: So it's it's been a great year for South Point Catholic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well do you guys do that pretty often? You guys are pretty consistent with what you guys do. Coach, appreciate your time. It was great, great stuff. Enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, congrats, thank you very much, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, coach Danny Pripple from the South Point, Well, appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break here, come back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful.
Speaker 1: For nearly forty years.
Speaker 2: Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 12: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 5: What's your goal a new career or career advancement?
Speaker 1: How about transferring to a four year College.
Speaker 5: PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 1: Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health. Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading mariage and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future.
Speaker 6: Pyramids.
Speaker 16: Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 11: Breaking down all the xys and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Blox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to ing the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Dave Silver. Good to talk to coach Pribble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy, what a year for sell Point too.
Speaker 3: He's talking about four for state championships, a couple of runner ups, suple runner ups. I mean they're always competitive in the big sports too, so you know it's good and they again these athletes, student athletes get a chance to go on and play elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Sure thirteen seniors. Yeah, you know numbers already have scholarships. And he says the program was in good shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a pipeline you know that continue to do what they do, maybe not win a title, but be competitive tough.
Speaker 3: I know they just every time you look up, you know, who are the top teams right, basically, and that's always been the case.
Speaker 1: Here, no question.
Speaker 2: And I want to ask you, so you say today did a just a quick mock draft, the latest one came out, just a little bit of go. If you're a guessing, what do you think, mister Carter Bright, I haven't so I don't know, right, That's why I wanted to be surprised to you.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing. How about ninth? Good question?
Speaker 2: And if you were Carl Bryant and you decided to stay in the draft, wouldn't you think that you'd go? You do it without a question if you're a lottery guy, right right? Top fourteen they have him at twenty. Ooh yeah, yeah, I was looking in the top ten. Oh he's not there. Fourteen, he's not there. And of course all these are not scientific, or they're not always accurate or whatever, because everybody has a different opinion. He's twenty to Miami. Another guy at Miami, which would be funny with the three guys two guys already there. Yeah, that would seem kind of a stretch. He was definitely staying in right, and the last week you saw his press conferences and things like that, he was always going to stay in. But it's almost you have to have an assurance that you're going to be in the top fourteen.
Speaker 3: You know, And that's what you would think that he was hearing that from somebody to stick around and not come back.
Speaker 1: Well, it can always change, right.
Speaker 2: We heard earlier in one of the breaking news things that at number three, Philly might change or might trade some picks or a pick that pick to go to Phoenix. Oh, to get to get KD. That whole mix in Phoenix is.
Speaker 1: Just a mess. They just need to blow it. Get something changed there. Anything.
Speaker 3: Got to find a coach. I wonder if I have a coach before the draft.
Speaker 16: Don't?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, good question. They should.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, so you covered sports here in Tucson thirty some years, right, thirty some years because you got here before I did. Out of the thirty some team thirty some years. That's assume per second you covered three or four teams consistently. Well, right, you a football, you a basketball, maybe another team or two softball. Okay, so three teams, all those teams, how many of those teams do you think didn't have the chemistry they needed to win it? I don't want to identify I don't want.
Speaker 1: You to identify it.
Speaker 3: Hard to It's kind of hard to say because I don't know how we as reporters could.
Speaker 1: Tell that sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you could sort of tell maybe by body language and maybe somebody would give somebody a dirty look on the bench in a basketball game and think, what am I going? You know, these guys getting along.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean I think they were go ahead, No, I don't know, a lot of them have been really good. I'll say, maybee, I couldn't tell you exactly which ones. Uh, maybe I could, but I won't. Uh, three or four and that's been that's three teams, four teams of all these years. That's a lot of good ones. I think the sumone thing you could the last one you could definitely say that was just a that was just a that was a disaster, disaster good. I was gonna cuss and use a bad word, a disaster and maybe the year before was just a disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Where it comes to chemistry and talent.
Speaker 3: Thing too is remember we're talking about you know, eighteen to twenty two year old kids in most cases, and they're you know, they got the little attitude going anyway, they all think they're the best. They're in the star of their high school teams. In most cases, when they come to the college programs and you know, they get upset because they're not getting playing time or sure there's something going on behind the scenes that we just don't know. So it was hard for us to tell, like, why didn't it work this year? I guess we could sure maybe you know, put it under that heading. It was hard sometimes for us even to realize, and we would hear stories later, Oh, you know, they just didn't get along there anything, Like this guy he thought he should be getting more playing time.
Speaker 2: And people don't understand how important that chemistry is, if not the most important part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the beauty of these two high school stories we've talked about today is that a lot of these kids grew up together, right, played in the neighborhood, maybe even more so at Empire. When you're out there in Veil, you know, you probably have a collection of players at all you know, started playing when they were eight years old, and.
Speaker 2: When their coaches, the summer league coach with the the you know, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, South Point seems to collect players from all over and that's just the way they are and they can do that. But you know, to have that chance to play in the summertime and for these kids to grow up in these neighborhoods. You see it all the time in Tuson's Sorrow. You know, body socks was always a big thing, and they would always have great softball players, soccer teams, you know, all kind of matriculating to sell point or some of the other calling Foothills has had great success.
Speaker 1: In so sure.
Speaker 2: So you came from California, you stand in the weeks of Obispo, right or you were in San Diego.
Speaker 1: I was up and down the coast.
Speaker 2: So when you first got your eighty three whatever it was what struck you the most about sports and Tucson.
Speaker 3: The good thing was that there was a lot to do, much enough to cover, a lot to cover. Yeah, that was kind of the beauty. Like it's kind of with why I was interested. It was not Phoenix, but you had spring training and you had you had bowling, you had two major golf tournaments. You had you know, a major university, you had a ton of high schools.
Speaker 2: So there was a lot going on here right in a smallish but bigish town. Right, still kind of feels that way. But you know, you bring up bowling, that's funny because it was. It was big here. It was for a long time. Pete Town Tess in that group. But they finally changed that building, they finally finished finished that building in the county lost.
Speaker 1: We lost Pete Town Tess recently. Yeah, yeah, he was if you were a bowler in Tucson, you knew you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you knew him.
Speaker 3: And I know in the media he loved to talk about his tournament.
Speaker 1: He was a guy that I don't know. He had this twinkle in his eye.
Speaker 3: We started talking about golden and a good dude, great guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a good dude. Uh so bowling, you're you're you're right. I just felt when I first got here. I got here in eighty seven, but I was an intern here in eighty five, and I just remember, God, this baseball, this place for little kid softball, little girls playing softball. You talk about your your the socks. What did you say, Bobby, Bobby? Yeah, And I remember, like a hass Yet you had a kid playing just these names. We had kids playing Bobby socks. And I would did stories and that it was an intern and then boxing was fantastically good back then. You know, some of the world championship fights at certain levels came through here.
Speaker 3: Well, remember when Kronk came in from Detroit, Detroit, right all of a sudden, I don't know, Tommy Hearns didn't fight. Emmanuel Stewart, the great trainer comes into tuc Sons training fighters here. It was crazy time for that. Sure, I don't think we realized how amazing that was.
Speaker 2: It used to be one of the great places to have a boxing here. And then you know tugar Ay came through, so did Oscar de la Hoya with their group a lot in the recent years ten years.
Speaker 1: Want to do a story on that, Yeah, I had a book.
Speaker 2: I don't know. People would buy one book and didn't share it. But actually the history of the of the Tucson love for boxing and it's still there, but I don't know where it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. I don't either.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's funny. We were driving, we were doing something in town recently. We're driving in the neighborhood kind of near the freeway in Saint Mary's. There was a gym back in the day.
Speaker 2: I remember right on the corner, right on the corner it was Grant. I think it was Grant where you go over the bridge kind of like in that corner. Yeah, Roger Roger, Roger Woods, I think right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like that was a gym at one point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, I want to say Twelfth Avenue maybe there was there.
Speaker 2: There's one down there too, there was one down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was it was a seriously like something out of a movie. You go in there and it was you know, it was hot. There might have been some fans blowing. Did you watch Creed and Rocky the recent ones. Yeah, those gyms were famous for that.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think we have that. Maybe we do.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a little more corporate now we got all these like boxing ink places like that, But as far as it's like grassroots, Hey, let's take the kid down to the gym and get him trained. Yeah, those those stories is kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: I even want to say, because Bruce would know this because we covered boxing together night. My memories going, uh, there was the kid not kid anymore, but he was on the big the box off that had a competition and he made it. Yeah, it made it. On made it to the finals.
Speaker 1: Or whatever.
Speaker 2: So again I can't remember. Yeah, another fifteen years ago. Good stuff, great stuff. Tucson has that history of good old time sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Harold, give him a plug.
Speaker 3: But like if you're driving down Grant towards the freeway heading uh west, there's that play Taco One's Taco called on Grant on Grant, Well, that they had a kid, I believe named one who was a boxer and he would train there. So I remember, like they go, where does he trained at the restaurant? I mean it was that type of stuff that was going on, so Taco, I think.
Speaker 2: It's called Okay, I didn't didn't know that. Yeah, a lot of good boxers, dicky parents, we had. I had what's his name, remember him, Mike Morreano. I think he's a back in the eighty five. I know he fought, he fought him. Uh, he's a comic now he's one of the guys, got it, Joey Modina, That's what it is, is a comic.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: He fought those guys. Remember at the Great Hell Park. He still fights at the Great Hell Park.
Speaker 3: Well, again, going back to we were talking Olympics ninety two, the US Olympic boxing team trained and Servista and that's where De la Hoya emerged. So I remember we went down there. I don't know if you had a chance to go down there, but they're training a camp at Fort wa Chuka.
Speaker 1: Uh and it was De la Hoya and there were a few others.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that I don't remember that he was here Southern Arizona. He came back a lot. Yeah, he came back to be like a promoter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question, and he's still kind of is with Golden Boy that kind of he has become a singer. Uh No, no entertaining, No, he had, but those were those were the good old days too. Michael Carba Hall from Phoenix. Yes, yeah, he came box down here. I think so maybe once or twice TCC. We had Macho Camacho at the TCC. So there's been people that have come through here.
Speaker 3: I had a brief The only time I ever did boxing play by play was here in town.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember what it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was a CROs event possibly, but yeah, I somehow got you know, Dave listen.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 3: It was pretty good and we was on TV and it was one of these things again we're talking ninety early nineties maybe early nineties, and I don't even know where it aired.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh, it's going to be on in Puerto Rico, Like oh really, okay, yeah yeah, I mean this is like nowadays.
Speaker 3: It would be it would be streamed someplace, but back then then, you know, I think they taped it, yeah, and put it on somewhere internationally.
Speaker 1: Dave, I think we got to go run out of time. Thanks for being with me today.
Speaker 2: I see you guys tomorrow and talk probably a lot about baseball things.