Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and Dona.
Speaker 3: Koam ninety one f M.
Speaker 4: Got way through three Andy Connal Keithy no sad thing well football.
Speaker 5: But welcome to a Thursday edition of the show. I'm your host for the next three hours.
Speaker 2: Mandy Connell and.
Speaker 5: Back in the saddle, but sag in just a little bit. Anthony Rodriguez back from vacation and sickness. Welcome back, Hey, Rody, we need a kind of a pew when we're not feeling good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Hey, Ron caught the crowd. We all had it. He is still in the end stages of it.
Speaker 2: No fun. What day is it? No fun at all altogether? No, it's not Friday.
Speaker 5: You just wish it was tomorrow. It will be this week, you guys. In the last three days, I've had three of those days that started at six am and ended at like ten o'clock at night. And I was supposed to have another meeting tonight and God bless my friend Geta, who was like, do we really need to have this meeting. I'm like, here's my update. There you go, let's move the meeting to the twenty second Yay, yay. We have so much stuff to talk about today. I mean so much stuff. Yesterday while I was on the air, the story was breaking about the shooting in Minneapolis, and in the last twenty four hours I have had time to roll this around from multiple directions, because if you follow me on x dot com, you will see in my ex bio that it says I'm just wishing people would be consistent. And I really started thinking yesterday afternoon, Mandy, what is a consistent opinion for you in this situation. We're going to get to that in just a moment, but first we're going to do the blog. Go to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look in the latest post section and look for the headline that says one eight twenty six blog the latest tech from the CEES plus a vision for twenty twenty six. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within.
Speaker 2: I think it's in Office half of American Allmerships and clipmans of ss ConA press.
Speaker 5: Play today on the blog the latest tech is all out at the CEES. Michelle Zelner wants to help with your vision RFK makes real food great again. Willman killed by Will been killed by HHS is from Colorado borders our Tom Homan is the voice of reason. There may be an override of Trump's veto on Colorado's water project. What to know about the National Western Stock Show? Hey two seventy drivers, you need to let c DOT know your thoughts. Would banning corporate ownership of homes move housing prices? This says the Denver market has slowed. Phil Wiser keeps declaring victory when it's not really. Can we talk about Greenland Obamacare tax credits maybe getting a vote soon? How did a sexual predator get hired at another school? And this woman thinks her dog is actually a child. This baby elephant is adorable. Hey, mumblers, this one is for you. Keep an eye out for Scarlet Evergreen. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
Speaker 6: Is no more.
Speaker 5: Aurora voted for feelings instead of good governance. I hope mom Donnie gets his way messing with the mailman.
Speaker 2: The Kansas City chiefs rolled Kansas to move.
Speaker 5: Most people regain the weight they use they lose with GLP ones. Put down your phone and daydream instead. Next level wrapping bo Nicks doesn't like dogs.
Speaker 2: What the world map sounds like?
Speaker 5: Is it called ocean sixty five? And China is killing it with vote prone technology. Scott Jennings offers a sick burn to Hunter Biden schoolhouse rock is fifty.
Speaker 2: And our weight best worth it.
Speaker 5: Those are the headlines on the blog at mandy'sblog dot com TI Tech two stop it Nancy that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I needed a way to vest for those headlines. That's how big today's blog is. Today's blog is a masterpiece, if I do say so myself, I mean, it's really really good. We've got some great video on the blog today.
Speaker 5: But I want to start out my touching base about what happened yesterday in Minnesota. And now I have seen multiple angles of the incident that unfolded thusly. There was a woman who, in protest, had parked her car across a road in order to stop ICE. Now her wife is caught on camera saying I should have never made her come down here. ICE agents rolled up on her vehicle and in order to get her out of the roadways. And part of this speculation, because we don't know all the details, and we'll get to more of that in a second, and one walked up to her driver's side door. One was in front of her vehicle. Rather than obey the commands of the ICE agents and where she would have walked away, she chose to try and get away by gunning her car and in the process did hit an ICE agent who then opened fire and shot her three times and killed her. Those are pretty much the facts, as my own eyeballs have shown me. That is what I believe to be true. Now, when I really look at this from the lens of being consistent, you have to think. And I realized that it's very easy to say, well, you know, you mess around, what do you expect? But this was the mother of three children. This was a woman who probably, and I'm just speculating here, probably really believed that she was doing the morally right thing. Because of the rhetoric around ice agents, she probably really believed she was doing something good and valuable and upright and upstanding. And I can look at this differently, but I do believe that that is where her heart was. And one has to wonder, like, at what point do you say it is not right that someone was killed, even for being an idiot.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a tough call. I wasn't the one being run over.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't know how this all gets adjudicated, but I'm going to say this, and I said this to a Rod before the show. I don't think anything we're going to see or anything we're going to say, is going to move people off the positions they decided on based on their political ideology. If you believe that ICE is bad, you are never going to believe that this shooting was.
Speaker 2: Justified in any way, shape or form. And I could make the argument that you.
Speaker 5: Are probably correct based on the fact that I truly believe that Ashley Babbitt, who was crawling through a window at the Capitol when she got shot in the face, didn't deserve to die for that either. But the reality is I wasn't that Capitol police officer either. I don't know if they truly, in their hearts, believe that their lives were in danger.
Speaker 2: I don't know. All this stuff happened so fast.
Speaker 5: We're talking in like one and a half seconds, right when decisions were made that unfortunately had life and death consequences, And.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just made by the ICE agent.
Speaker 5: That driver made a life and death consequence decision that ended badly for her.
Speaker 2: So this is this I said it yesterday.
Speaker 5: This is going to be one of those things that could turn into something really, really, really significant, and in fifty years we may look back and go, oh yeah, yeah, between Charlie Kirk and that, Yeah, those are the things that really set things off.
Speaker 2: Now, what's interesting is that Tom Homan, the Borders Are.
Speaker 5: Was sitting down for an interview and I want to play this is what Tony Decoppolis from CBS News, who by the way, we're going to have to talk about how Tony's doing. He teared up on the air and everybody's making fun of him. But I want you to hear Tom Holman and Tony Decopolis talk about this and this strategy by Tom Homan is the right one.
Speaker 7: I think the city of Minneapolis is on edge. I think the country is on edge right now. You say the investigation is.
Speaker 2: Ongoing, investigations just started, just started.
Speaker 7: You say you can't comment on the video which many Americans are seeing and reacting to.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to make a judgment call on one video when there's one hundred videos out there. I wasn't on the scene. I'm not an officer that may have bodycam video, I'd be the unprofessional or comment I'm when I think happened in that situation. Let the investigation play out and hold people accountable based on the investigation.
Speaker 7: I think many members of the public are calling for the same thing, and so they're confused. Maybe you can help me understand how the Department of Homeland Security could conclude so swiftly that this is a quote active domestic terrorism that this woman quote weaponized her vehicle by the very same standard you describe.
Speaker 2: This investigtion is just getting started.
Speaker 6: That's the question for Homeland Security on the borders are well, I can't tell you what I've seen on my airplane ride here, looking at numerous videos, seeing numerous social media posts, statements from the Homeland Security, statements from Secretary.
Speaker 2: No, I'll leave it at that. And the law enforce What good is it to do right now to.
Speaker 6: Me prejudge the facts what happened today without giving law enforced professional for the j FPI or the local police there, give them time to look at all the videos, talk to all the witnesses, talk to the officers, and make an educated decision on what occurred today. That's what needs to happen. I've been a cop since nineteen eighty four. That is a process we must go through, and.
Speaker 5: That is what needs to happen. And by the way, I am still inclined, and I just retweeted. I'm retweeting every video of this that I can find. I just think that it is better for us all to see every single thing and then we can decide who's full of crap and who's not right. And I believe that this woman did indeed hit an ICE agent with her car. There is video that's pretty clear that shows her hitting this ICE agent with her car. Now, is there something else the ICE agent could have done?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not a train law enforcement officer. I'm really not.
Speaker 5: But if somebody tried to run over me with their car, somebody that was blocking the road, somebody that was obstructing.
Speaker 2: Law enforcement, I would probably already be on edge. I don't know. I Like I said, I think that this is one.
Speaker 5: Of those incidents that the right and left are never going to agree on ever, kind of like January sixth. You know, we all look at it from our own perspective, but this one is tragic. You know, nobody wishes that someone's mother was killed. But at the same time, this is sort of what happens when you have people out calling ice agents Nazis and telling them to get the f out of their cities and be openly defiant and saying horrible things. This is how things end. People get shot at softball games. I mean, these are the things that happen, right, These are the things that happen. Got some text messages on the Common Spirit Health text line, Hi, Mandy, police have a right to protect themselves, but I wish the cop had not stood in front of her car while drawing his gun. I like told Tom Holman's response, you know, I again, I don't know if they are like, look, make sure this person doesn't get away, or I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he drew his gun on her in the first place. That is a valid question that needs to be answered.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I do know this.
Speaker 5: I do know that any kind of traffic stop, any kind of situation where law enforcement is walking up to a vehicle not knowing who's in that vehicle, right, not knowing what the intentions of the person in that vehicle are, it is one of the most dangerous situations that a law enforcement officer can find themselves in I personally know someone who was murdered in a traffic stop. He worked for the Florida Highway Patrol And why I no his son. He was murdered and left small children behind, you know, because he walked up to do a speeding stop and the guy just shot him when he walked up to the car.
Speaker 2: So it's a very dangerous situation.
Speaker 5: And as you know, citizens who are in that car, we know, like I know, if I get pulled over, I'm not There's no Shenanigan's going on, Like, I'm just gonna be like, can I have my ticket? Thank you, sir, I'm on my way. I don't even try to get out of it anymore. I haven't been pulled over in a really long time. But at this it's just like, dude, just can I I got places to go?
Speaker 2: Can I just have the ticket? Let's just get this over with.
Speaker 5: So we know we're not going to do anything, and I think that we then project that onto how we think an officer should respond, right, Except this officer didn't know that this was a thirty seven year old woman you know, who just came to the protest because she thinks she's doing God's work.
Speaker 2: So this is an entirely dangerous situation.
Speaker 8: Manby.
Speaker 5: If she had run over and killed the ICE sag, will we be talking about it like this. Nope, it would have been buried by the liberal media because it doesn't fit their narrative.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that, and I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 5: I hate to say it, but I think when an ICE agent gets killed, and I do believe that is where we're headed, it will have an impact, but it won't stop the rhetoric. Those on the hard left will simply say it's a good beginning, right, and the news media will cover it, but they will cover it quickly and it will just go away, and then they'll start platforming all the people who are saying, you know, that's sad that that guy died, but I mean, look at what they were doing, right, There's always the look at It's like the Charlie Kirk thing. Sorry he's dead, but he wasn't a nice man. Sorry he's dead, but oh he was awful. Sorry he's dead, but he was a hate mongers.
Speaker 2: That's what they do. That's how it works, that's the way it goes. Mandy the cop, this shot.
Speaker 5: He was previously drug by another car three months ago. He received like thirty stitches from it. I heard and read that as well, and that would explain a heightened state of response for sure. Now this Texter said, Mandy, She's dead because she was stupid. She did a stupid thing. And the reality is is that for many on the left, she will become a martyr to this cause. And here's the thing, you guys, I said at the beginning of the show. I can look at both perspectives and see how you could feel that way, right, I could look at both sides and say, I understand your position. This is going to be a very divisive issue because it's inconclusive. People who are really honestly believe that Ice are Nazis, that Ice are in here rounding up people and throwing them out of the country, you know, just sumarily, they really believe that this woman was doing something morally right and that you.
Speaker 4: Know, just.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 5: And people like me who look at ICE as people who are enforcing the laws as the United States of America has passed them to solve a problem that was created by ignoring the laws of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: I don't wish her dead, But I understand how it happened, Mandy.
Speaker 5: We have an epidemic of white liberal women. Certainly seems that way, Mandy. The woman that had been had been stalking these agents all day.
Speaker 2: Didn't you know that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I did not know that. Where'd you get that? Ralph? Send it to me?
Speaker 5: Email Mandy Connell at iHeartMedia dot com. What I'm seeing, the coverage that I'm seeing so far of this woman is she's originally from Colorado Springs. She moved from here to Kansas City, and most recently moved to Minneapolis. If you see the video that was taken right after the event, her wife or her partner is sitting on the curb crying, saying, I shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Have brought her here. I shouldn't have brought her here.
Speaker 5: All of her family members are saying she wasn't particularly politically active. But you know, I don't know where this is, Mandy. It's just like the United Health CEO being murdered. So many just shrug, yeah, I mean in a way, except this was involving the federal government, so it is slightly different.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: The fact that it was a mother is immaterial, says this text her. It always bothers me that being a mother somehow exculpates justifies behavior. I know you're being sensitive to the fact she's a mother, rather than excusing it, but it gets perceived as an excuse or justification. You often hear a lot of the same wording around Jeanette VISGERA. No, I'm not excusing anything. I please don't take it that way. She made a dumb choice that eventually led to her death. Right, that's just that is the fact of the matter. Had she not done what she did, had she not hit the gas, she would be alive right now. So I'm not excusing anything she did. I just think it's tragic that we now have three kids who don't have a mom. I feel the same way about Faith Winter's kids. We now know that Faith had indeed been drinking when she got into the accident that took her life, and that's on her right. Those are her choices that got are there. But it's still to me that there are now three kids without their mother. I feel bad when somebody loses their father as well, to be clear, but it's just it's a tough situation. Did you hear Ross's interview today where she was antagonizing ice prior to that. Won't make a judgment on who was at fault, But I tell my children, don't put yourself in a position to create an issue.
Speaker 2: Correct. That is so correct. And by the way, it doesn't matter if you're.
Speaker 5: Black or white, or brown, or green or purple, or an alien from Mars. If you have kids and you have not had a conversation with them about how to behave in an interaction with police, you are doing a lousy job as a parent if you have not explained to them. Look, if you ever are in a situation where you are being hassled by a police or you feel like you're being treated unfairly, let it play out and I will come get you and we will take care of it, you know, because that's.
Speaker 2: It's absurd some.
Speaker 5: Of the things that have happened that have led to the deaths of people that otherwise should still be alive, some of whom were criminals.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong, but.
Speaker 5: It's all at the feet of the tension in the system that exists because of the unknown for the officers and the unwillingness of people to simply work the process through. Right, I don't understand it. I was raised, you know, back in the day in the seventies. My father is an attorney. He told me exactly how to behave He told me, yes, sir, no, sir, you put your hands where they can see him. You don't move anything without announcing what you're doing and why you're doing it to the police officer.
Speaker 2: And I mean we he was.
Speaker 5: That was from the time I was little. So the notion that only black people have that conversation is just wrong. Now they may have it for a much different reason. But we were also talked to respect authority.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing. If you're not doing anything wrong, if.
Speaker 5: Everything's even, if you're going to get a ticket for a misdemeanor for blocking the road, take the ticket you earned it. Like I said, this is going to be a story that we're going to keep talking about in some way, shape or form for a very long time to come.
Speaker 2: Now, I've got a couple guests coming up on the show.
Speaker 5: I've got the latest from the Consumer Electronics show underway in Las Vegas. This used to be about stereo equipment and now it's about robotics. It's amazing the stuff that's coming out of it. Will do that at one and then our good friend Michelle Zelner is back. Her annual Vision Board event is coming up this Saturday, and it looks like it's going to be a barnburner. If you want help sort of solidifying your vision for the year, you want to hear that interview at two thirty.
Speaker 2: When we get back. I talked earlier in the week with Sheriff Steve A.
Speaker 5: Reims about our GOP debate that's coming up on Saturday, and we had a great meeting about it today and I want to ask you guys a question.
Speaker 2: We're gonna ask you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna focus group you and get some information about what you'd like to see when you're trying to make up your mind about voting for a candidate. Ryan Schooling, my colleague from k howl across the hall. You've heard him many times on this station. We are going to be moderating a debate that was put together by Welsh County Sheriff Steve Reems and sponsored by Steve Wells.
Speaker 2: And as Deep Wells Organization.
Speaker 5: And I am absolutely thrilled that we've gone from six candidates invited down to three.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 5: Two of those candidates have left the race. One just simply said no, I can't make it, and that is Victor Marx. He's just like, no, you can't do it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: We had a meeting Steve and Ryan and I this morning and we were kind of talking about this, and we we just we were unanimous in our decision to sort of jennison the formal debate, Like, here's the same question for all three candidates, and now you have thirty seconds to respond, and and Ryan and I are going to be given a bit of freedom because Ryan and I are knowledgeable.
Speaker 2: About different subjects.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think we're probably knowledgeable about all the subjects we're going to be talking about, but more knowledgeable about some subjects than others. And we're going to be asking very specific questions. And I'm super excited about this. But it got me thinking, like, are we do we really have our finger on what people care about in this state? Because here's what I think people care about. Well, okay, I'll just say this is what I care about. I care about transportation. I'm sick of having our money to fix the roads diverted into mass modal projects that nobody wants, nobody wants to ride. I'm tired of having just the drain of light rail on our transportation budget. I'm tired of having people running Sea Dot whose goal is to get us out of our cars. Right, That's not at all what I'm looking for. I'm looking for someone who wants to do with the citizens of Colorado need which is fixed the damn roads.
Speaker 2: So transportation is at the top of my list. Newly on my list is I would like to see a full.
Speaker 5: Audit by an outside source. Bring in one of the big four accounting firms. I'd like to see a full audit and an investigation to make sure that we don't have the kind of medicaid fraud that we're seeing in Minnesota, in Ohio and in other places.
Speaker 2: More stuff is popping up now.
Speaker 5: Now I'm going to be perfectly clear, I have zero evidence that any kind of corruption is taking place in the medicaid system. But what I do know now, especially over the last few weeks, is that the system is so ripe for corruption that it would be irresponsible to not ensure that we are making sure that people are not being paid improperly. That we're not you know, we don't have fake agencies set up like they did in Minnesota because Medicaid dollars are precious and they make up a huge part of the budget, massive part of the budget. So I want to make sure that if we're spending this massive part of the budget, I want to make sure that the money is going to the people that it is supposed to go to. I want to make sure that people on Medicaid are going to be able to get the doctors that they need, because we can actually reimburse the doctors at a reasonable level. And if we're spending I mean, even if it is only ten percent of the Medicaid budget is in fraud, right, maybe just ten percent. Some estimates overall in the medicaid system are closer to thirty percent. But we need to make sure that those tax dollars are protected, not just for the taxpayers, but for people who.
Speaker 2: Actually rely on Medicaid. So transportation is mine.
Speaker 5: Medicaid is number two, but only in the sense that I just want to say, look, I just want to make sure we don't have those problems because the system is sort of set up to abuse, so we got to make sure of that.
Speaker 2: What else do we need to talk about?
Speaker 5: What are the topics that are near and dear to your heart, the competency issue must be fixed, right, the competency issue where we have a law now that says if someone a criminal gets arrested for something that then is declared incompetent, they're just going to be let out.
Speaker 2: That has to be taken care of.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: I do believe that every politician, regardless of their party affiliation, is on that particular issue, like every I don't think there's a person in Colorado that's like, no, we don't need to do anything to fix that because it's just been so disastrous.
Speaker 2: But do you even care about the Medicaid thing? Is that just a me thing? Or is that a me thing and a you think text us.
Speaker 5: At Common Spirit Health's the Common Spirit Health text line five six six nine zero. I would love to hear from you guys on this because Ryan and I really want to ask the questions on the topics that you would like answered. Because I'm hoping this debate is going to be recorded and you'll be able to watch it even if you can't make it. So this texter said, as for the GOP debate, I would like to see festivist style feats of strength be performed. Ideally, with an aluminum poll without tinsil, I find tinsel distracting.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that, I too find tinsel distracting.
Speaker 5: This texter said Mandy. I'm so excited to see the debate on Saturday. Should I bring my thirteen year old daughter. Not many events like this come to Greeley, and I want to teach her how important these types of events are. But I do feel this might be over her head. I promise you your thirteen year old daughter will be able to follow along. And here's what I want you to tell your thirteen year old daughter, since you're actually coming to debate, I want you to tell her watch these people before they start the debate. Watch how they interact with the crowd. Walk up and say hello. If you see the candidates and you know them, walk up and say hello. We've got Representative Scott Bottoms, We've got Barb Kirkmeyer, and we've got a sheriff Jason Mike Sehl from Telller County. If you see the candidates, watch how they interact with the crowd. You get a lot of information from just watching that. Mandy, I think you should lead the number crunching to smart people. I mean, yeah, Okay, Mandy, if you've seen the Freedom Care commercials about having a family member be your caregiver paid by medicaid, I actually have no problem with that.
Speaker 2: I truly don't.
Speaker 5: And now I realize you're like, that's ripe for abuse, and it is, but we have there are too many people that have been taken out of the workforce who are willing to give better care in most cases, to their loved one, and they are basically being forced to choose, am I gonna be able to take care of my loved one or am gonna go out and make money. I don't have that problem, especially if you're gonna pay someone else for that care. And that, my friends, is what medicaid is for, right making sure that our elderly, the people who are physically or mentally unable to take care of themselves, have the care that they need. This texter said, you already sound out of touch. Okay, this is why I'm asking, This is why I'm asking. Maybe we have free childcare and free lunches in Colorado. Are those funds being monitored? What's really interesting about the fund that we just voted on, the lawmaker who wrote that new one that we just passed because Colorado's love to give other people's money away is that they now ask for too much money and they're gonna have to do a taper refund because they're going to take in too much money. They didn't spend enough of what was coming in. I mean, it's just it's insane, absolutely insane. Mandy, I think you should speak about the taper situation and those fees that the politicians are using to get around it. It's fees are actually taxes in disguise, and it needs to be addressed.
Speaker 2: That is a great question. Oh geez, let me check the time.
Speaker 5: Five six six nine zero five six six nine Oho. I really want to hear your thoughts. What do you want to hear the Republican candidates talk about Colorado Republican debate on Saturday. And Ryan Shuling and I are going to be moderating the debate, and I think that everyone involved wants this to be a substantial debate, and it's not really going to be a debate. We've kind of ditched a classic debate format to have a bigger discussion about some of these issues. And we had a bunch of issues that we wrote down that we thought were really important. And I'm just asking you as a voter in Colorado, as a resident of Colorado, is what's the most important thing to you right now? Like, what do you think to yourself? Dang, and I wish they would fix blah whatever that is. This Texter said, I'd like to ask the Republican candidates if they're going to sue the administration forty seven times. I think that gets fairly expensive and monotonous. I would also like them to address the fact that the current leadership wants to.
Speaker 2: Get away from natural gas.
Speaker 5: Going to electric for heat is going to be not only expensive, but unattainable with the current electrical grid the way it is. Many Oh, that's from Marty and Lovelin. Marty, I have energy and energy security already written.
Speaker 2: Down on this list. Mandy.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you guys having the Governor Forum in place. However, honestly, I mean this, honestly, do you really believe a Republican will get elected in the state at this time? I really don't believe that will happen. Sadly, Barbara Kirkmeyer's kind of a rhino, which I think may be a little bit of a chance, But we're a solid blue state from here on out. I don't see that changing. I'm going to be honest, I'm going to be shocked if a Republican wins in this cycle. And I happen to think, you know, it's going to be challenging for Republicans to get elected in Colorado until Trump is gone and out of office.
Speaker 2: I really do. I I had this. This state has a growing distaste for Donald Trump. I don't know if it's growing.
Speaker 5: It grew from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty to twenty twenty four. But as long as he is, you know, attached to the Republican Party, it's going to be hard. It's going to be really hard. But that being said, people are super frustrated. They're super frustrated about housing affordability, They're super frustrated about you know how the traffic in this area is just getting worse and worse and worse. By the way, if you're a regular two seventy six driver, you need to go to sea Dot's website and way in on the two seventy six expansion. A lot of you are measure. I have a story on the blog today about how you can do that. A lot of you were talking about TABOR. This this one says, uh, let me find that very quickly. Remove the fees they're using to avoid having to get a tax passed, redo them or remove them from vehicle licenses and such.
Speaker 2: Make sure TABER isn't going away. I agree. I'd like to know, because honestly.
Speaker 5: Taber is almost dead anyway, because the Democrats have voted to take our money and give it to people that they think need it more. That's so they can both buy votes and secure voting block and they can also eventually get us to the point where we're never getting a table refund, so then they can argue, well, we just need to take this whole thing.
Speaker 2: Off the books.
Speaker 5: That's you know how I told you yesterday that whatever healthcare bill the left and the Democrats put forward is with one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to make health care so bad that we'll call for a single payer system in Colorado. That's what they do with TABOR refunds, right, They just chipping away and chipping away and shipping away and giving those refunds to people that are not you and not me, and then eventually they're just going to say, well, we need to just take.
Speaker 2: This thing off the books. Anyway, Just watch me, watch it, watch it happen.
Speaker 5: Mandy asks the candidates how they feel about Trump's vetos on Colorado or denial of funding. Guys, I'm just going to say this now, I'm not asking one single question about Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I really don't. I want to know all Colorado centric questions.
Speaker 5: And to the point of this text, they did say, how do you feel about Trump's vetos on Colorado or the denial of funding?
Speaker 2: That would be a fair question. But the last thing I want is for.
Speaker 5: The Republican candidates to be closely attached to the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: For the reasons that I just said.
Speaker 5: It's one of the reasons I'm so tired of the Tina Peters question because that does not help a single person get elected.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't. And for the people on the right who say, well, if you don't say you're going to partente, if you're out, you're an non starter. Really, do you really think Phil Wiser or Michael Bennett is going to pardon Tita Peters Like I, okay, shoot yourself in the foot. I don't care this Texter said.
Speaker 5: The other thing I've added Mandy, I'm really sick of giving illegals free healthcare, free housing, and feeding. I hope they address this. That's on the list as well. And I have questions on transportation and fixing the roads. That was like the first thing that.
Speaker 2: I did, Mandy. I wish they would fix the cost of living in Colorado.
Speaker 5: I'm about eight years older than you and starting staring retirement in the face. I'm not sure we'll have the money to continue to live here, and I don't know where we would go.
Speaker 2: And I feel for you, Texter. I've already started.
Speaker 5: Making my plans, so I just think this place is going to be impossible to retire in, and that's going to be such a such a shame. Last one, Mandy, for me, I would like answers on pardoning Tita Peters should never be Tabor. There's a reason we voted for it, sanctuary city or state status. We need to follow a federal law.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 5: That person doesn't want Tinas is just a loser question.
Speaker 2: We're not doing it. When we get back.
Speaker 5: The Consumer Electronics Show is the biggest electronics show of the year, probably in the world. It's happening right now and it's where you go to see all of the next level technology coming forward in Right now, it's all about robotics. We'll talk to Jennifer Doug Dragas. She's the vice president of Global Entertainment Communications.
Speaker 1: Next, The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and Injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, Mandy Ton.
Speaker 4: On KOA.
Speaker 1: Ninety one FMA.
Speaker 4: Got Way study the Nicey's through three, Andy Connell, Keith.
Speaker 2: Sad bab welcomelncle.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the second hour of the Very Snowy Show. I don't know where you guys are, but it is snowing like the Dickens here in the Denver Tech Center.
Speaker 2: But you know where. It's not snowing Las Vegas, unless.
Speaker 5: You consider the Consumer Electronics Show to be a weather a vein of its own, because they're pointing right to the future of tech. This is the largest trade show, I think, probably of its kind, maybe in the world.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's been going on for years, and I have to say this, for many, many years I followed the Consumer Electronics Show because I wanted to know about the latest, coolest stereo equipment and audio visual equipment and flat screen TVs. But boy, are we in a different world with this now. And joining me now the vp CTAVP of Global Events and Communication, she's Jennifer Drogas with the Consumer Electronics Show. Jennifer, I'm looking online at the coverage of this show and what I'm seeing is you are surrounded by robots right now.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, Mandy, thanks so much for having me on, and it's so great to be here at the super Bowl of Tech in your robots are everywhere. You can't take two steps without seeing a robotics booth, and it's just been really excellent to see how robotics has been a standout, not just your sci fi robots, not your cute boxing robots that you maybe see on social media, but practical robots that are helping farmers, builders, and manufacturers really work more safely and efficiently.
Speaker 5: Well, I was going to ask because and I asked Jennifer off the year is like, Okay, what other things do we want to talk about? I kind of want to ask questions about the the unconventional tech first, because we have a ton of farmers and ranchers in our listening audience. We cover a huge metro area, but then we also go way out into the planes. What are some of the interesting tech pieces that are coming to agriculture, Because I know that farmers have to deal with things like labor shortages, how to get their crops in in a timely fashion. What are you guys seeing that we're going to be seeing in the fields at some point soon.
Speaker 9: There is so much tech in agriculture. It's absolutely one of my favorite categories to watch out for. And we have the big agg companies at the show, including John Deere and Caterpillar. In fact, the CEO of Caterpillar.
Speaker 2: Joe Creed, was one of our keynote speakers this year. He was up on the.
Speaker 9: Stage talking about the future of agriculture thanks to AI, and he unveiled an AI assistant that is helping operators of machinery do their jobs more efficiently and faster. And we have the giant combines and everything on the floor. It's just really really awesome to see how this technology is going to make agriculture more precise, safer, and it's going to it's going to make our food taste better.
Speaker 2: It's going to be awesome.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I'm waiting for and this might be too deep in the weeds for this conversation. Is there are challenges with getting ripe fruits and vegetables out of the ground using robotics, and it has to do with their ability to have a soft touch, right, there are human things about that that have to be overcome.
Speaker 2: Are we seeing that yet? Are we moving that direction yet? For harvesting as well?
Speaker 9: Tech is evolving and it's really exciting to see where it's going to take us next. And all I can say is that the tech that I'm seeing on the show floor, I think it's it's closer to uh, to reality for many of us than we realize.
Speaker 2: So are you guys seeing my new robot made? Is that in the show this year?
Speaker 5: Like I mean, because I've seen some robots washing dishes and it warms my heart, it really does, Jennifer, So are you are we seeing that as well?
Speaker 2: It's uh.
Speaker 9: I think we're officially entering the jetson space. We're starting to see robots that can help you get your makeup on in the morning. I love the ruma that has a little arm that picks up socks while it's while it's vacuuming.
Speaker 2: It's the little things, but they add up to be big game changers. So let's talk about an area that I love.
Speaker 5: I'm super excited about where AI is going for healthcare and longevity.
Speaker 2: In those things. Where are we seeing advances, what sort of an advances you have in that area.
Speaker 9: AI is everywhere, It's in all of the technology. It's not just a hype anymore. It's really a tool. It's helping make everything smarter, more intelligent. I'm actually on the table next to me is a transparent knee that has AI built into it, and it helps monitor your movements and the health of your joints. And that's something that plays into the longevity narrative, like tech is going to help us live better lives. It's going to help us when we want to walk with our kids through Disney World and for long days, or or just maintain an understanding of where we are in terms of our health.
Speaker 5: This show, for a very long time, and I'm talking like twenty five thirty years ago, was so much about audio, visual equipment and sort of entertainment. What is there interesting in the entertainment aspect that you guys are.
Speaker 2: Seeing this year.
Speaker 9: Entertainment is so immersive And at CEES, one of our main halls is filled with all of this immersive entertainment tech. Again, there's so much AI that's informing how people consume their entertainment, from the sound, from the visual quality. Right when I think it won't get better, it gets leaps and bounds better. So again we continue to see our minds blown with really cool immersive like you're actually there entertainment.
Speaker 5: So the products that you guys have at the Consumer Electronics Show, when will we the consumer? Because this is a trade show, when will we the consumer? When should we expect to see this stuff become widely available?
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't know how.
Speaker 5: The first time I ever saw a flat screen TV was at the Consumer Electronics Show, and I feel like it took like two years for it to become available at an extremely high price. But when is this stuff coming to market? Is it ready to go or is it already in the market? And this just allows them to showcase it.
Speaker 9: Some of the tech is already in the market and that's really exciting to see. But like you say, a trade show is really about showcasing the future, and that's exactly what CES does. It is a portal to the future.
Speaker 2: So a lot of the tech that.
Speaker 9: You're seeing, yes, it's still on the concept phase, but we're innovating so quickly now I think the timelines are getting shorter.
Speaker 2: Has there been anything in this year's show that made you, jennifergo what?
Speaker 9: I can't even begin to account. But my favorite part of the show always is our Eureka Park floor because that's where our startups are, and so that's where the problems that you didn't know needed solving are getting solved. And these are the hungry small businesses that are looking for that investor funding, and so I see the most creative pitches when I'm down there.
Speaker 5: Jennifer Krogus is with the Consumer Electronics Show, Thank you so much. I do an interview with this quite often because you know, we can't get there, we can't go and hit the floor, but I would. There are some great, great, great tech journalists that cover this show so well, So if you have any interest, use the Google you know, use the Consumer Electronics Show tech coverage, and it is some of the stuff is crazy. So I kind of I have a little bit of envy for your job, Jennifer, because you get to go and see what's coming and see the next level, and it just it's something that that always looks like, you know, walking through the future in Jetson's world.
Speaker 9: To your point earlier, well, certainly follow us on on all of your social media. We're constantly updating and you can you can immerse yourself that way, all right.
Speaker 5: Jennifer Krogus from the Consumer Electronics Show, Oh, thank you for your time. I just accidentally hung up on Jennifer, So that was rude of me that being said. Oh no, she's still there, Jennifer, thank you for your time today. Obviously, I don't know how to work tech. That's my problem.
Speaker 2: You know, when you get old, is ay Rob would say it, it gets hard future of tech. Let's see one, two, three, three. I hope I did it justice. Mandy.
Speaker 5: Listening to you earlier on how to tell your kids to interact with police. There was a video put out by Chris Rock years ago. It's really funny, but it's on point. It's called how not get your bleep kicked by the Police. I have seen it many times. The problem is it shouldn't be funny. It should just be like normal, normal behavior.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 5: Now, got a bunch of stuff on the blog today, but I want to talk right now about the veto that President Trump issued against a water project in southeast Colorado. Southwest Colorado. Represented Lauren Bobert ran the bill. It's for a water project that's been needed, I mean for decades, and the problem has been is that this is going to take water to a part of the state that doesn't have a lot of money. There's not a lot of cash money in that area, so cost was prohibitive. Represented Lauren Bobert passed a bill in a bipartisan fashion, both in the House and the Senate, and it would have provided federal money upfront, and it would have allowed a very very very very slow repayment rate for the area that was going to be impacted. There was nothing out just against about this bill, and it passed in a bipartisan fashion, and then President Trump vetoed it, and I believe he vetoed it. He says because of the cost of the program. And I mean, you could veto every single government program out there if you just want to make it about the cost of the program. But the reality is is, I think in many other people, including Representative Lauren Bobert, now believe that this was just.
Speaker 2: Payback.
Speaker 5: He's still super salty and is demanding that Tina Peters be released because he pardoned her for state crimes, which he cannot do, and I believe this was punitive. But it looks like the House of Representatives is going to vote to override the VETO. Now I don't know the voting situation here. I don't know if Democrats would vote against overriding the veto just to make Trump supporters in that part of the state angry. I don't know, but I would hope that if they voted for it the first time, they would vot vote for it the second time. But I have to say, in this situation, I have to give Lauren Vobert a lot of credit because Lauren Vobert is calling it like she sees it and is like, well, I had no idea that the president was going to crap all over his supporters in that part of the state, because that part of the state is Trump supporters.
Speaker 2: You know, there are parts of this state that do have a lot of Trump supporters.
Speaker 5: I realize that's remarkable for some people, but it's really true, and this happens to be one of those parts of the state. So what's going to be really interesting is to see how many Republicans vote to override the veto. The other veto, by the way, that he issued, had to do with allowing the Mikasuki tribe in Florida to have sort of take control of part of the management of the Everglades. This all goes back to the Mikasuk tribes suing President Trump's administration for the Alligator Alcatraz. The penitentiary facility, I don't know if penitentiary is the right word. The holding facility for ICE to put people that were in the process of being deported.
Speaker 2: It's in the middle of the Everglades.
Speaker 5: If you've never been to the Everglades, imagine standing in a slightly earthy smelling shower that has just run. It's not running now, but you just have that humidity. And now add in about seventy thousand mosquitoes. That's pretty much the Everglades in a nutshell. But it's the Everglades is a fascinating ecological system. If you have an interest in ecological systems, take.
Speaker 2: A trip to the Everglades. It is incredible.
Speaker 5: It's this giant filtration system that covers the entire bottom, most of the bottom of the state of Florida, and the Army Corps of Engineers years ago cut it in half and disrupted the entire ecology of the system.
Speaker 2: But that's neither here north there. It has nothing to do with it.
Speaker 5: But the Miskissoki tribe, which is part of the Seminole tribe in Florida.
Speaker 2: They are a very powerful voting block.
Speaker 5: But I have to say the Mikisokie tribe and the Seminole tribes in Florida are really, really, really good at navigating with the government. They've never had a confrontational relationship.
Speaker 2: Well I can't say never, that's ridiculous in recent memory.
Speaker 5: In recent years, they have not had the controversial relationship or headbutting relationship that other tribes have had with local governments. Right, and that's not every tribe, I'm not saying it is. But the Mikisuki said, look, you know what, you guys are going to put this in here. We want to be able to have a say in this because the Everglades are part of our native lands and they're not wrong, and because they sued the Trump administration. Trump also vetoed that bill as well, And now both of these vetos are up, and it's going to depend on which Republicans decide that they're going to do the right thing instead of the Trump thing. Now I can make the argument, and I could probably make it pretty compellingly that I don't think that water projects, local water projects other responsibility of the federal taxpayers.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 5: However, I have to recognize that I'm sure other water projects are getting built all over the place, and if we're gonna say no to this, then say no to all of them. And if you're not going to say no to all of them, then figure out a way.
Speaker 2: To get this done. But ultimately, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think this is kind of interesting, and you're seeing people Lauren Bobert has been such a staunch supporter of this administration. It has to feel very personal for her that the president has taken something that she has worked really hard on and just use it as a political bludgeon against people who all honestly, do you really think that Jared Police cares about this?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: Why witty he doesn't care about this?
Speaker 5: I mean, you look at the way that the legislature treats people outside the metro areas.
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't how you punish them. There's no punishing here.
Speaker 5: So Bobert has also fallen out of favor with Donald Trump because she voted for the discharge petition to force a vote on the bill directing the Justice Department to release the Jeffrey Epstein materials, something that did eventually happen. So it's you know, but when you throw your allegiance against someone who has no allegiance, unless you're actively doing his bidding, you know, what are you doing? This is what happens when people show you who they are.
Speaker 2: Pay attention. Isn't that the old adage? It should be?
Speaker 5: Now a couple of things, I guess it's probably over now, you know, the snow in the Denver Tech Center is finally tapered off with the Stock Show? Have you when you were a kid was the Stock Show? Did you guys like go every year? Was that a thing that you did because you're kind of a city kid, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am, And the first time I went I was an adult. It was only a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: Fun, you're a city kid or you have city kids, it is such a great way to allow your kids to get up close and personal with farm animals, and usually the people that are standing there will answer questions like we took Q right after we got here, so she was like four, right, four or five when we took her. She at that age, this kid would come up with these questions that were like no question an adult would ever ask, but also the best question ever. And I wish I could think of an example right now, but she would ask a question like the lady with the bunnies. There was a lady with a bunch of rabbits and she stood there and talked to this woman for like twenty minutes about rabbits. And they're super excited to talk about it. It's a great learning experience, it's a great way to go. They have a rodeo, they have all these events, and I just think there's a lot of transplants in our area of probably don't even think about it as something they might do.
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of things that can all come in second place to the coolest thing, which is always the Mexican rodeo.
Speaker 2: Why is the I've never been to the Mexican rodeo? What makes that especially?
Speaker 3: She justst a spectacle of so much fun in heritage and camaraderie and just exactly what is that? Literally, put on a Mexican rodeo do a bunch of crazy things.
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 5: But what what are you watching? Tell me what the experience was like, because I don't know what the difference is. So they don't do like barrel racing and stuff like that. They do something different.
Speaker 2: No, gosh, what do they do?
Speaker 3: I mean, they do all the typical stuff that you see in a normal rodeo, but then they have the.
Speaker 2: Uh, what is it? The oa? You know, I don't even know you what even call it? Wait, let's see what makes a Mexican Mexican.
Speaker 5: Every time you say Mexican radio or rodeo, in my mind, I go, I'm on a Mexican radio.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mexican audio corrected auto corrected for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: Marioti music, bull riding, roping, synchronized female riding, which was really cool. I remember that standing up on the backs of the horses and stuff. I think, so beautiful costumes. I don't know, it's just it's just art. It's just really nice, very festive radio, very very very very special. According to this a charea is a Mexican rodeo and in Jalisco, Yellisco. It is very popular. In some ways, it is Mexican for NASCAR.
Speaker 5: Both men and women can bete wearing colorful Mexican cowboy costume trimmed in silver studs. The horsemen show off their lasso ability and make their mounts dance to a live Mariazi ban while vendors go through the stands selling drinks and snack.
Speaker 2: It was by far my favorite. I'm gonna have to check that out. Now you have done this how many years the socks show.
Speaker 3: I've only been like three times. None of the three you even to play Mexican rodeo.
Speaker 2: I don't really go to rodeos overall.
Speaker 5: It's not my thing. I don't hate it, it's just not my thing. Mexican rodeo is different. It'll make you go every year. Chuck loves rodeos, I mean he loves them, so I don't have to. I probably would have twist his at all to go to on Mexican radio. But the stock show is happening now, it goes on for the next few weeks, and at that point, after it's.
Speaker 2: Over, then you need to take down your Christmas lights. Okay, after it's over, then the Christmas lights come down. I always get so depressed, by the way, the last day is the twenty fifth, so you can plan accordingly. I always get so depressed when the stock show's over, because then we fall into darkness, nothing bright and shiny, nothing to look forward to except the latest setting of the sun January January.
Speaker 5: One more quick thing that's on the blog today that I just saw, and I just want to mention I I got to tell you a rod, I don't know what to do with the fact that Bonix doesn't like dogs.
Speaker 3: I was about to say there's one thing to look forward to two weeks after that, Oh yeah, saying I didn't.
Speaker 5: Know Bicks didn't like dogs, that the audacity for him to run with under dogs.
Speaker 2: I well, you know, I mean or over dogs.
Speaker 5: But I, generally speaking, don't trust people who don't like dogs, although I do know people that have been I was actually attacked twice by dog.
Speaker 2: I had to go to the emergency room. The second time the kid the same.
Speaker 5: Dog as a kid. And well not only that, I got attacked by chow chow and then the first dog that I ever got, Yeah, the first dog that I ever got was half chow half shepherd. Yeah, so I kind of like I just went head on. I was like Gordon Lyddy biting the head off a bat or whatever he did a rat. Actually he ate a rat from this, that's right to get over his fear of rat.
Speaker 2: Did you watch his full interaction with Kirk curb Street. Oh, I know, and Kirk Curbstreet's dog is a golden retreat, but you got and he tried to.
Speaker 3: Like, He's like, I'm sorry, I wish I could ch I know, justify and all those teammates are like, yeah, you don't like dogs. He knows it's weird. It's like that person that admits, like, I know it's not a normal things.
Speaker 2: You know what, great point, Just like me, I don't like fruit and there's nothing I can do about it. I know it's weird.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: That just made me feel better about bo Thank you for that. They're about to do the vote to override the veto on the water project, and I'm hopefully going to have that for you as soon as possible because it's supposed to happen today and apparently Representative Lauren Bobert took to the floor of the House to call out Donald Trump for supporting the water bill before he vetoed it.
Speaker 2: So this is interesting. Oh wait, oh, the veto override failed several dozen Republicans to five President Trump. This by the way, from Kyle Clark, but not enough to reach the two thirds needed for an override. Colorado's Arkansas Valley Conduit project is in limbo. It is not in limbo.
Speaker 5: One hundred and seventy six Republicans voted against it, and this is from what I understand, they voted for it the first time, So I don't know, you got to give I'm gonna give reper Lauren Bobert credit for trying.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you know, didn't work out.
Speaker 5: So this is a little disheartening for people that have chosen to use GLP ones to lose weight. And I've talked pretty openly about the fact that I've known a ton of people who have lost weight with GLP ones and most of them have regained the weight, and keeping the weight off is the hardest part.
Speaker 2: I mean, that is the hardest part.
Speaker 5: I'm back on my soda eating plan this week, you know, trying to get my holiday pounds off.
Speaker 2: I've already lost three of them, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: But now now a landmark study has found that most users regain the weight inside of two years of stopping the drugs. And now doctors are saying, look, especially obesity doctors, and I actually think this is a valid point, But obesity doctors are saying, like, you have to look at obesity as a chronic condition, because again, keeping the weight, once your body starts making your fats grow and your fat cells get all plump and happy, they don't want to go back to being thin and starved.
Speaker 2: They don't want to do that.
Speaker 5: What these researchers found was that your fat cells retain that knowledge of what it was like to be fat. Right, so if you can lose weight and keep it off for ten years, in that ten years, all of those fat cells with that memory will be gone, and then your new set weight should be easier to stick with. Now that's encouraging to know that at some point your body can reach some kind of equilibrium. But then you're like good gravy ten years. Yes, people, this is the problem.
Speaker 2: This is where we are.
Speaker 5: But gop ones and now they're trying to figure out how to create an off ramp because what happens.
Speaker 2: In a lot of these cases. And this has been true of a lot of my friends.
Speaker 5: They went on golp ones which killed their appetite, just killed their appetite. They didn't change anything about their habits. They didn't change their diet, they didn't change the amount of exercise they were doing, they didn't change anything. So as soon as you go off the drugs, and some say that your your appetite does come back, you know it comes comes right back for most people. And not only that, it appears and this has not been absolutely proven, but it appears that it.
Speaker 2: Messes with that that thing that makes you feel satiated.
Speaker 5: So at the same time your appetite returns, that mechanism that is supposed to tell you you're full isn't working as effectively as it should. So not only are you hungry again, your body's not telling you that you're full. So there's a there's things that we need to work on with these drugs, but most of them are lifestyle things.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 5: I have said to the Sota people, if you paired a GLP one with the Sota weight loss plan and the knowledge that you get, you would allow people to lose the weight without stress, while at the same time learning about how to eat and how to fuel their body. Right, I mean that you have to make the changes or you're just gonna end up back where you were in the first place.
Speaker 2: And sometimes those changes suck. Arod, let me ask you this, how much weight did you lose? Total? One? Eight eight?
Speaker 5: And a Rod has done a magnificent job of staying on top of his weight loss. Like I have to give you a lot of credit for that, a Rod, You're constantly working.
Speaker 2: On it always.
Speaker 5: But what have you learned? What foods, if any, have you learned? I probably should never eat that again.
Speaker 2: Do you have any foods like that?
Speaker 9: For me?
Speaker 2: Pasta?
Speaker 5: Forget about it. I can eat a quarter cup of pasta and gain six pounds. It is absurd, It doesn't make any sense. There's certain foods that I just should never eat again. And that's a hard thing to understand. Like that is not a good food for me. Or foods make me feel really lousy, you know what I mean? Like now, if I eat a bunch of fried foods, I just feel horrible, horrible, But God I love them still, dang it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why do French fries have to hurt you so seriously, why.
Speaker 5: Do they have to take They're like the Jezebel of food, Like they just they look at you and they seduce you with their delicious crunchy outside and soft inside a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of salt, and they're just horrible for you. Yeah, it's always fries, just the just the one thing, just fries. Now, have you given up all potato products because I love a good baked potato. No, I mean, I'll still do fringe fries. It's not as much. Yeah, as often, very very rarely.
Speaker 5: Actually, I find myself in a position where I cannot order fries. But if Chuck does, I always say, can I have like three of your fries? I'm not one of those Why have just three fries? If there's someone else, if there's someone else's fries, I'll have those three.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, three more.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, because well, two things are happening with me. Mentally, I'm like, I'm not gonna eat Chuck's food, you know that's rude. And number two, I'm going to order like I'll order a burger with a salad on the side if I really want a burger I'll get a salad on the side, which is perfectly fine with me, but I just need three fries. But by mentally going I'm having three fries, I have my three, I enjoy them, and then I'm not gonna eat the rest of Chuck's food.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 5: When we first started dating, I would, but now not. Now you know that, just just kidding. No, not when Chuck and I first started dating. If you've ever met Chuck, you know that he is a storyteller. Okay, So when we first started dating, we would go out to dinner. We would order an appetizer, and right has the appetizer arrived, I would ask him a question about himself and he would start talking and I would start eating, which is probably why I ended up needing the soda.
Speaker 2: Wee lost plan. Then finally he.
Speaker 5: Got hip to it, and one day the appetizer arrived and I asked the question, and he literally took an appetizer plate, scraped off half the appetizer onto the plate.
Speaker 2: And put it in front of him and said, do you want to ask that question now? And I was like, no, I'm good that my friends is a true story, and yet we're still married.
Speaker 5: See, Chuck and I really do a lot of you get this, I'll get this, and then we do Havesi's right, so I like this.
Speaker 2: That way you get to try something new with the restaurants.
Speaker 5: Mandy, how the Dickens did you get big enough that you needed sota besides appetizers? Yeah, I haven't had an appetizer except as a meal in a long time. Joey doesn't share food. Took my wife's years to get me to share my friends. Okay, I got to tell you guys a quick story about my oldest son. My oldest son for many, many years was a prison eater, meaning you'd put his plate down and he would kind of wrap one arm around the outside of the plate and then kind of, you know, like hunch over, like he was gonna be you know, shanked to get his macaroni and cheese or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 5: It was kind of a running joke between me and Chuck. It's like, oh, yeah, Ryan's prison easing again. Well, fast forward. Ryan has been dating his girlfriend for a good like a little while now.
Speaker 2: We have not met her.
Speaker 5: He is at Fort Benning doing his off training, and we were all meeting at Fort Benning to go to his graduation, including the girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Her name is Courtney. We had not met her yet.
Speaker 5: Well, we're sitting at there's this restaurant outside Fort Benning that after all the officers graduate, everybody goes over and has this giant burger.
Speaker 2: It's some kind of thing whatever.
Speaker 11: So there we go.
Speaker 5: So we're all sitting there and it's this big, long table full of people and all of his classmates and all their families, and it was just like a big group of people and Ryan is sitting right next to Courtney, and Courtney casually reached over and took a fry off Ryan's plate.
Speaker 2: And Ryan didn't even blink. And I looked at Chuck and went, oh, my gosh, he likes her a lot because he was sharing his fit. He will deny this, by the way.
Speaker 5: He's like that I never was concerned about.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, yeah, you didn't. And here's the thing, you guys.
Speaker 5: I don't like the automatic assumption of sharing. I'm a sharer of food. Like if you want to buy my food in a restaurant and we're asked me, I'll give it to you, You're not a sharer.
Speaker 3: No, I literally no, I'm not doing a pet peeve. I'm a I'm a one plate restaurant guy. I Tapa's Mandy Like, I can't do it. No, I hate the con you can't share it. I hate the concept of sharing a food. Specifically, I'm a sharer, but with food, it's just weird to me.
Speaker 2: I know what I want to get. I want to make sure I'm gonna be full from that plate in front of you.
Speaker 5: You're playing accordingly, right, No, I say, there's only one situation where I will not share, and that is if I have eaten the amount of my meal that leaves me with a good portion for another meal the next day. And if I'm at that point where maybe I've even stopped eating, I'm just you know, hanging out. If you ask me for a bite, then I'm gonna be like, I'm sorry, I've saved the perfect amount for lunch tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The worst part is I won't say no. I'm just gonna be pissed about it. Of course I won't say it. No, I'm gonna say yes, but I'm gonna be really angry.
Speaker 2: No, I don't find I mean, it's like, here you go.
Speaker 5: I come from a family of sharers, you know, we all like throwing food across the table kind of thing, and I have no problem with that, but I do respect you if you're not a sharer. Like when we go to sushi with a new friend and I'm like, okay, are we all going to order our individual things or are we just going to order a bunch of sushi and have at it? And for sushi, I'm down with that, just like, let's have at it and then just divide the check in half.
Speaker 3: Right, the only place for me? It works like k pot what oh like a hot Yeah, like hot pot and barbecue like that. It works because that's what it is. Yeah, So kind of that way with sushi too. It's just any other concept. No, Now I'm ordering. When i'm ordering, I'm eating when i'm ordering. You eat what you ordered, yeah, and then we're doing well.
Speaker 5: It's like when I get like shrimp pad tie or something like that, and you have X amount of shrimp in the thing, and if there's not a lot, depending on the restaurant and checks, like can have one of your shrimp.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'll be like, no, you can have a bat.
Speaker 5: Of the pad tie, but you can't have the shrimp because there's only like four of them, and I, you know, not sharing that. I don't And and truth be told, he's always he's like, oh, no problem, he's not like mad about it. And I do the same, like can I have a bite? Well, I will never forget. I had a friend once and I was when you eat a burger, do you just blaze a trail throat or do you kind of like eat a couple bites around the edges so you get that big middle bite. You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's normal. Yeah, that's what I thought too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, except I have done the first like three four bytes around the burger.
Speaker 2: And she says, can I have a bite? I assume.
Speaker 5: And by the way, the burger was going to all the sides of the bun. It's not like there was a big area of bun that was just fun. And and she takes that burger and takes the big bite out of the middle, and I looked at her and was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Who does that? We are not friends anymore, not because of that, but that was just an indication of her character. Yeah, don't share burgers? Who cares?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 2: Mandy share food?
Speaker 5: I eat like I'm on the way to the electric chair, Mandy, spit on your food. It solves the sharing problem. See my little brother when he would want something, he would lick his hand and then smack your food with it, and I didn't care. My sister was like who I mean, she was just but then she'd give him his food.
Speaker 2: It worked every time. I can't share appetizers, that's it.
Speaker 5: Oh, now you would die like sharing fondue in Switzerland where everybody's sticking a stick the fo the okay, because.
Speaker 2: It is a shareable by des.
Speaker 5: Like you said, Mandy, The youngest of nine kids, prison feeding was like a blood sport. Don't reach across the arm or risk being stabbed. Now that that is out of necessity, right like that. But now I'm at that point in life where it's like, oh, we ate all the crab rangoons, order some more.
Speaker 2: You know we can do that. We're there.
Speaker 5: I don't mind, you know what I now, if you're a total stranger, don't ask to come up and have a bike, because I'm gonna say no because that's weird. But if we know they only give you four shrimp, says this Texter. Yes, at a Thai restaurant, I will not be returning to just.
Speaker 3: Saying, imagine you really like shrimp, I love you, and you got one of those four only one.
Speaker 5: Now, I wouldn't do that if I if I want to, if I want for shrimp, I'm ordering two appetizers.
Speaker 2: That's the way to go. When we get back, don't share.
Speaker 5: Will Donald Trump's latest move to prevent corporate ownership of housing make a dent in the market.
Speaker 2: Not as much as you might think.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, Mandy Dona.
Speaker 3: KOAM ninety more one FM said.
Speaker 4: Study the nicety us through three Mandy Coronald Keith Nor Sad Bab Welcome.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome to the third hour of the show. Coming up at about two thirty. We're gonna talk to our friend and fitness guru, Michelle Zelder. We're not talking about fitness, although we are going to talk about the new HHS USDA guidelines. The food Pyramid is out and I am still First of all, it's super pretty.
Speaker 2: Okay, I put a picture of it on the blog today. You can see it for yourself. It's gorgeous, but it's also sensible, makes sense, good sense, good sense being made by all. But we're really talking about her annual Vision Board event, which is so good. And if you want to sort of.
Speaker 5: Crystallize what you want to focus on in twenty twenty six, set some goals, decide what you're going to accomplish, this is a great way to do it. So that's coming up at two thirty. I want to play some audio from Scott Jennings real quick. This is about the situation in Minnesota, and we talked. I talked about it earlier in the show, and I'm going to stand on this statement. You are going to be able to see whatever you want to see in the videos that are out about the shooting of a woman in Minneapolis. You're going to be able, depending on what your political viewpoints are, You're going to be able to justify those political viewpoints based on the videos that are out there. It's a terrible track that this woman is dead. But I'm finding myself in the camp of a woman made a very very bad series of choices, probably because she believed she was doing the moral and right thing to do, and the ice agent, who apparently had had a similar incident where he was dragged by a car by a driver three months ago made a life and death decision based on his own fear for his own life. Two people in a high pressure situation both made bad choices.
Speaker 2: That's where I am right now.
Speaker 5: But listener what Scott Jennings has to say about this, because I think this is an incredibly interesting point.
Speaker 11: But it strikes me that we are undergoing an epidemic of political vigilanteism right now. Why are people showing up in vehicles and convoys not just in Minneapolis, but all over the country in an effort to obstruct lawful federal law enforce activities. This is not an isolated incident. We have had hundreds of car rammings against ICE agents all over the country. According to DHS, this lady in this car today, along with other vehicles, had been tracking ICE agents around. Why are people believing that they can drive their car into a federal law enforcement situation and that is an appropriate thing to do. I understand they don't like the fact that these agents are enforcing existing immigration law, but that's not how we change laws in this country. If you don't like a law, you talk to the politicians. You don't drive your car into the middle of a building or a law enforcement situation that's being occupied by the people who are simply there to enforce the law. If I don't like how much the IRS is charging me in taxes, I don't drive my car into the Treasury Department try to run somebody over.
Speaker 2: I call my congressman.
Speaker 11: Political vigilanteism is being encouraged by Democratic officials like the Lieutenant governor of Minnesota Peggy Flanagan, who earlier this year told people to quote put your bodies on the line, and Tim Walls calling these guys gestapo all year. What do you think happens when you radicalize a base of people as He's not wrong.
Speaker 2: He's not wrong at all.
Speaker 5: I Mean, what's been interesting about this is that a lot of people that are currently very very very very upset about this situation are the same people that were willing to hold Donald Trump accountable for his rhetoric on January sixth. They blame him one hundred percent for they say he ordered people to go to the Capitol. He did not, but that this is what they believe, right. They believe that Donald Trump is responsible for what happened on January six because of his rhetoric. But then when you ask, is Tim Walls partially responsible for calling Ice agents, the Gestapo and nazis there.
Speaker 2: If there's culpability on.
Speaker 5: One side, there has to be culpability on the other side as well, Right, So I thought that was a very interesting take, a very very interesting take. Another very interesting thing was the movements that we're seeing on Greenland. You guys, I'm at the point now where trying to follow the Trump administration is so exhausting because of the very speed with which.
Speaker 2: Things are happening.
Speaker 5: So in the past week alone, we have arrested Maduro, We have negotiated with the remaining Socialist vice president to buy millions of bears of oil and therefore fund Venezuela's rebuilding legitimately and not with drug proceeds, which is what Maduro was doing. And although he wasn't rebuilding Venezuela, he was just getting.
Speaker 2: Rich, right. But we've also seen.
Speaker 5: Such a slew of activity they don't even know where to start, not the least of which is that Rubio is now headed to Danish leaders.
Speaker 2: To talk about Greenland. Are we gonna buy Greenland?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: It's been bandied about, and Trump has made some comments that have led people to say, oh my god, Trump is gonna invade Greenland. He's gonna take Greenland by when in reality, he's just looking to say, yeah, we'd like to buy that from you, Denmark. You guys aren't using it really, so we'd like to buy it now. I do think that the fifty six eight hundred residents of Greenland deserves some say.
Speaker 2: In this, I really do.
Speaker 5: But what if we were to say, hey, Denmark, We're going to give you X amount of dollars for this land, and hey, Greenland, is that cool?
Speaker 2: Are you good with that?
Speaker 5: And if I'm Greenland, I would say, okay, do we get to be a state? What kind of representation do we have? Are we just going to be another outlying you know, like Guam that nobody talks about. Are we going to be like a part of the United States of America? How does his work for us? All valid questions, all valid questions. So I just think it's super interesting and I think it's very interesting to see Secretary of State Mark Rubio navigate the kind of rhetoric that we're seeing in the press from the President at the same time trying to go meet with these people in a serious way and say, look, strategically, Greenland is very important. It is extremely important. Just where it's located. The amount of Greenland's in the Arctic is incredibly important. So yeah, it would be pretty good for the United States to have access to that fully and completely as part of the United States or a territory. Dated Foreign Minister Lars Loch Rasmussen and his Greenland counterpark Vivian Mottsfeldt had requested a meeting with Ruvio, this from the Denver Gazette.
Speaker 2: According to a statement posted.
Speaker 5: Tuesday to Greenland's government website, previous requests for a meeting or not successful. Rubio told a select group of US lawmakers that it is the Republican administration's intention to eventually purchase Greenland, as opposed to using military force.
Speaker 2: So, I you know, that'd be another place we could go without a passport.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think of the upside for the citizens, like other than national security concerns, and the upside for the American citizen.
Speaker 2: We could go there without a passport. That'd be pretty cool. Mandy.
Speaker 5: The idea has been floated around about Greenland paying each resident one hundred thousand dollars that was just announced today. What do you I mean, that's pretty fair, that's a pretty good offer, Mandy. I asked my wife and she said she would share her for shrimp. Well, your wife is a better wife than I am. By the way, after I talked about sharing food, I will tell you I got a ton a ton of text messages and they're like fifty to fifty from those of you who are food sharers and then those of you who were like, if you try to touch my food, I'm gonna stab your hand.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.
Speaker 5: Although I will say I got several text messages from former non sharers who are now enthusiastic sharers and enjoy that. About the Minnesota shooting, Mandy, where's her child out of some Holi daycare?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know, Uh, Mandy, Yeah, imagine.
Speaker 5: The people who celebrated the assassination of Charlie Kirk don't have a problem with somebody trying to run over law enforcement.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see this.
Speaker 5: I have seen some text messages who are calling the woman who was shot a lot of vile names. She might have been a vile person I don't know, but we certainly don't know enough about her. What we know is that she's a woman who made very bad choices, extremely bad choices.
Speaker 2: So let's just ratchet back the nasty talk and let things play out.
Speaker 5: So Donald Trump sent out a post on X or truth Social or whatever he posts, and it says, for a very long time, buying and owning a home was considered the pinnacle of the American dream. It was a reward for working hard and doing the right thing. But now, because of the record high inflation caused by Joe Biden and the Democrats in Congress, that American dream is increasingly out of reach for far too many people, especially younger Americans. It is for that reason and much more, that I'm immediately taking steps to ban large institutional investors from buying more single family homes. I will be calling on Congress to codify it people live in homes, not corporations. I will discuss this topic, including further housing and affordability proposals, and more, at my speech in Davos in two weeks now. What he's talking about is companies like Blackstone not black Rock Blackstone that buy up residential properties and then they rent them out, and they are accumulating assets, you know, asset growth.
Speaker 2: And things of that nature.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, many worry that they are diluting the housing market that's available for people to either buy or fixing rents at an unreasonable rate. So I did a little digging this morning and realistically the numbers for how much housing is actually owned by these corporations very very small amounts in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 2: I mean very small amounts.
Speaker 5: Just five point five percent of single family homes are owned by corporate investors.
Speaker 2: Now that number is not the.
Speaker 5: Big now, but I do think it is a reasonable thing to be concerned about the continued accumulation of homes by large corporations. Now, can you go ahead and invest in a corporation that does real estate exchange traded funds? You absolutely can. So there are ways for the common person to make money in this way. But the reality is is that we also have to make sure we have enough housing for me. And I've said this before on the show. You guys know how I feel about it. I think we need to start by looking at how government regulations drive up the cost of housing.
Speaker 2: In Colorado.
Speaker 5: We have so many absurd regulations that they're only getting worse, that are going to drive up the cost of building a home in Colorado. And that's by design, you know, it really is. So it's time to start looking at how to prevent this from happening. Because if a large corporation comes into any area buys up a bunch of the property and makes it short term rentals, especially and I have no ill will towards short term rents, none whatsoever. But you know, if you are if you are in a situation where you know you have a housing shortage and you have an obscene amount of short term rentals, what do you do with that? Now, I'm also a free market person, so all of these things are coming to a head when it comes to the housing market. Now, if corporations by fifteen percent of the houses in a market twenty percent of the houses in a market, is that where we're headed. This is a very difficult problem to solve. This is not something that you can have a pat answer to. One of the things that I want to correct about the President's statement about why housing is so expensive right now. Housing is so expensive right now because the Fed kept rates too low for too long. So the federal government could continue spending like out of control drunken monkeys during the pandemic. Two percent mortgage rates are not normal, They've never been normal.
Speaker 2: They were record low.
Speaker 5: Interest rates on mortgages. They were insane, they were absolutely nuts. And what they did was people often buy based on payment, right, like, okay, what's my house payment going to be? So as as interest rates dropped to these crazy low levels, then people who are selling were like, well, look now I can ask for more money and you can still make that payment because your mortgage rate is so low. Back in the nineteen seventies, I love it when people are like, I can't buy a home. Luggage rates had six percent. Well, some of them are in the fives right now, but luggage rates are too high. My parents bought a house in the nineteen seventies and they had a seventeen percent mortgage rate.
Speaker 2: Seventeen percent. It was insane.
Speaker 5: But of course the house costs seventy two thousand dollars, right, so it was cheaper to start with that.
Speaker 2: All of these things go in concert. The Federal Reserve really screwed up a lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: During COVID, the federal government really screwed up a lot of stuff during COVID, and now they're expecting us to believe that they're to fix the problem when they are a huge part of the problem from the jump.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just super frustrating.
Speaker 5: I will say this, if you've been sitting on the sidelines right now, you're looking to buy a home. Maybe you know you've got your down payment, you're ready to go, and you've just been waiting and waiting and waiting for interest rates to drop down to where you think they're going to go again, Like the Force. I don't think we're going to see the Force anytime in the next few years. But I will tell you this, right now, mortgage rates are pretty dang good, but not many people are paying attention. And when people do start realizing this is really good for a mortgage rate, then the buying frenzy begins and you're in bidding wars again. If you're ready to buy a home, I'm telling you right now, I would buy the home. I would go ahead and move. I would I would take advantage of the fact that there are more homes on the market in the Denver metro now than there have been in a long time. They're sitting a lot longer, and buyers are starting to recognize if I want to sell this house, I'm going to have to drop the price. Not a lot, but I think there are more negotia well now than they've been in a very very long time. When we get back, we're going to talk about two things. Number One, HHS has released a new food pyramid and in it with one Fell Swoop, OURFK Junior makes real.
Speaker 2: Food great again and creating a vision for twenty twenty six will be right back.
Speaker 5: And it's that time of year where everybody's like new Year, New Me, but the reality is I just want to be a better me and joining me now to talk about not just that we are going to get to creating a vision for twenty twenty six, but Michelle Zelner, our fitness guru, is back, and Michelle, let's talk about making real food great again. I got a text message from Michelle almost immediately about we have to talk about the new food pyramid when I come on the show, and I'm like, heck, yeah, what is RFK Junior done to the food pyramid?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean he's just gone back to common sense and basics, which I know it's like earth shattering, right, eat real food something I don't know if your listeners have listened to me have heard me say, probably since the very first time was on your show. So yeah, just gone back to basics. Eat real food. Prioritizing protein. That's like a huge catchphrase these days, prioritize your protein. Most people don't even know what that means, right, So prioritizing protein means you need to make sure you're getting enough and not just enough to not waste away, which is what the old guidelines were based on. The minimum recommendation to simply not die, but actually to eat enough protein to support and optimize your well being.
Speaker 5: But that's like the most perfect government standard, right, The government standard is, here's what you can.
Speaker 2: Do to not die. Okay, it's not optimal performance, it's not. I mean, it's just like this will keep you alive, you know.
Speaker 5: So protein now takes its rightful place at the top of this inverted pyramid.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: The pyramid is kind of upside down in the way it looks. And I have to say, I put the picture of the pyramid on my blo today. It's gorgeous. It's like this beautiful illustration of all of these beautiful, real foods. And you know what's not on here, Michelle, anything ultra process. There's not a single thing that comes in a box on this food pyramid. Let's talk for a second about why this food pyramid was probably created in a much different way than previous food pyramids have been created. Those food pyramids were created by lobbyist, food lobbyist, and yeah, this pyramid, well go ahead.
Speaker 10: Not to get political, but everything's political. And you know this one, I don't know, maybe big broccoli got in there and it was like, wait a minute, what about.
Speaker 5: Us a big broccoli, as if there was such a thing. No, this looks like it's just based on nutrition, and that's a refreshing change. Now I want to share with the audience some of the basically, like this is the vertbal version of the food pyramid. Number one, prioritize protein at every meal. As Michelle just said, consume full fat dairy with no added sugars. I think this is going to be a shocking one for people because most people don't realize that when you take the fat out of dairy, they're putting sugar in to maintain the mouthfeel and maintain the taste. This list kind of goes after sugar in a big way, but without going after sugar right. The next is eat vegetables and fruits throughout the day, focusing on whole forms, incorporating healthy fats from whole suits for the whole foods such as meats, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados. Focus on whole grains while sharply reducing refined carbohydrates, limit highly processed foods, added sugars, and artificial additives. Eat the right amount for you based on age, sex, size, and activity level. Choose water and unsweetened beverages, and limit alcohol consumption. I don't know if you saw this. Another thing came out of HHS today. They are going to mandate nutrition classes at medical school. That's amazing, finally, finally, right.
Speaker 10: And the thing that I really appreciate about this, it is very comprehensive. It doesn't say eliminate ultra processed foods because people are going to eat them. I ate them over the holiday, for sure, and they are delicious. That's why we eat them. So to think we're going to eliminate all these things is just not realistic for most people. And it's that all or nothing mindset that tends to, you know, get us really gung ho with the New Year's resolutions, and then by week two we're out of the game already. I do want to say one thing about the full fat dairy. So you know, when you eat non fat Greek yogurt, they have not added sugar back in unless the manufacturer has decided to do right. So it really is critical for people to read labels because you can see something that seems to look healthy on the surface, but unless you're reading that label in the ingredient list, you know there might be something's hidden in there. But that's why, you know, it's so important that we understand what we're looking for. And yeah, like whole foods, right, it's so basic. So let's give some real numbers. So when when we say prioritize protein, one gram per pound of your target body weight. So if you're out of body weight and composition that you're happy with, let's just pull a number one hundred and fifty pounds, one hundred and fifty one five zero grams of protein. Most people have no clue what that even looks like in terms of food. It's it's all in a little bit of context. Right, an egg has six grams, so they're like, well, I had two eggs this morning, Awesome, that's twelve grams of protein.
Speaker 2: That's not that much.
Speaker 10: So it's also people starting to really understand how where do these nutrients come from, how much of each nutrient is actually the food you're eating, and that they, you know, put the message in there to eat the appropriate amount for your needs and your goals. Most people have no clue what number even is right, because you've never figured it out.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping that we're moving towards a place where education when it comes to nutrition becomes a thing. And I remember being a kid and we got the four food groups right, You had your four food groups and you had to learn the basics. But I think I was probably thirty years old before I understood the mechanism of how insulin is produced in our bodies and what that fires and what that means.
Speaker 2: And people have no.
Speaker 5: Understanding of how they work, how their body is actually designed to function. And once you have a better understanding of that, it gets easier to understand why prioritizing things with fiber is important and why prioritizing protein is important.
Speaker 2: I was working with a longevity.
Speaker 5: Doctor a long time ago, and he said something to me that I found so ridiculous. But I have since and this was probably fifteen years ago, I have since seen so much research to back this up. If you never ate another carbohydrate again in your life, you could live for forever. It doesn't matter. You don't need to consume a single carbohydrate. And I think for most people that is the exact opposite messaging that we've been getting since the eighties, when coincidentally or not, we all started getting super fat. So I think some of these things are going to be almost like a create a cognitive dissonance for what people think they know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Well, for sure, there's going to have to be a lot of unlearning and then relearning, and that is really hard. And that's something that I figured out for myself almost thirty years ago. Like this whole just you know, don't eat fat, Well okay, except I'm doing that and I'm getting fat, so's.
Speaker 2: There's something wrong here.
Speaker 10: And that's when I decided to stop listening to the guidelines and just learn how to feed a human body. And that's the thing, Mandy, is it's not hard eat real food.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of hubris throughout our history. I mean, I look back at how we all started eating more margarine. Right, Margarine is an absolute chemical poop storm.
Speaker 2: It is not a food product.
Speaker 5: It was a byproduct of another experiment, and we started eating it and we were told this is better for you than butter. And there's such a level of ego there to think that human beings are going to create something better than God created. That's the way I look at it, Like God gave us everything we need to be healthy. We don't need Dorito's or margarine or all of these fake foods to be healthy. If you just focus on the food that God made in the closest form to the way God made it, you're gonna be fine or whatever, or you know, evolution or whatever whatever you believe. I just think it's easier to just go, Okay, how close can I get to how it either grew or came out of the ground or was grown in the ground.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: I just think that's the easiest way to do. It doesn't have to be complicated. It really doesn't. Okay, let's oh go ahead.
Speaker 10: It doesn't. Yeah, that was to say and that's why I came up with PFF as your BFF. How many years ago did I come up with that?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 10: Protein fat fiber is your best friend forever because these are whole foods that are going to allow your body to function correctly, absorb your nutrients, keep your blood sugar steady, avoid the spikes and crashes, help you feel full, help you be satisfied. And it is it's just PFF, PFF.
Speaker 5: Protein fat fiber PFF is your BFF. And now your hair of the shell's voice like I do all the time, do you Let's have a moment on fiber and then we're going to talk about the vision stuff because it's so good. Fiber is now being there's a connection. They're finding out that there are certain gut issues for people with multiple sclerosis, and they are experimenting now with the roll of fiber in how our guts can lead to all of these other things. And Americans, we do not eat enough fiber on the standard American diet. If you're making a little health resolution, make it eat more fiber, whatever that looks like. And let's talk about resolutions because on Saturday, Michelle has her annual Virtual Vision Board event and This thing is so flip and good. If you're looking for focus for twenty twenty six, what can people expect from this event?
Speaker 10: So if you've come before, you're going to get a little different, a little different experience. I think you'll like it, so please come again. If you've never come, you don't know what you were missing, so come anyway. It's just so much more than making a vision board. This is going to be a whole reflect and reset workshop. It's going to basically be like one of my trainings that I do for corporate or for private groups, and you get to have all of me, just me, no speakers, just me. But it's going to be an opportunity for people to really dig in to define what matters to them, and then we're going to spend time creating strategies to help you accomplish what you say you want to accomplish. And there's going to be plenty of time for lots of conversations. So I've actually, since the new Food Pyramid Drop, decided that this isn't just going to be about twenty twenty six vision. I want people to come who have questions about anything, any health well being related thing. It is an open forum to pick my brain hear what I think. I know a lot of your listeners have heard little, you know, bits and pieces here and there, but it's really an opportunity for anyone to come and just you know, maybe hear it from a different perspective.
Speaker 5: I've got to say, Michelle, the aspect of creating a framework to actually bring these things to life, that part is very interesting to me because I think that that is going to force people to either figure out how to make these things happen, which is what you're saying is the ultimate goal, or recognize that they don't really want those things. Because if you think you want something and you're like, you know what, I'm going to use the perfect example. I want to I want to be thin, I want to be fit, I want to be athletic. Okay, are you going to cut out the garbage that you're eating in your diet?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to do that. Are you going to exercise more? Well, I don't really have time to do that. Or what are you going to do?
Speaker 5: And when the answer is I'm not going to do anything that I have to do to achieve these goals, it may be time to recognize that that needs to come off your vision board, and you need to stop diluting yourself about that being an actual thing that you want. Because if you're not willing to put any effort in actions speak way louder than words do, and especially when it comes to what we say we want to do, because if you say you want to do something, but you're not willing to do any of the proven strategies to make it happen, you need to let it go and move on. And there's some free there's something freeing about that, right, I mean, there's something good about saying, Okay, I have to be real about what I really want out of life.
Speaker 10: Well, it's what we say is the outcome that we want. We don't want to do it. We just want the outcome, right right, And that's where the disconnect is, like, Okay, well, let's talk the realities of what it's going to require to have that outcome, and very often it's going to require doing things you don't want to do. That's just the reality of it.
Speaker 2: Hard things are hard.
Speaker 5: But my father always said most things worth doing are hard, right, I Mean, that's just if it was easy, everyone would do it. So what are some of the things that you have found or learned from the people that attend these events.
Speaker 2: Now, the first one that I did with you, it was in person, and it was wild.
Speaker 5: Because it was really it was kind of even before we started using internet photos, and there was magazine cutting and gluen sticks flying, and there was crying as people were trying to sort things out. What have you learned over the years of doing these events that maybe you've taken to heart or that you see a common pattern.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I think a lot of people come in with an idea and maybe they leave with a different idea of because when we get into discussion and conversation, they start to get some real clarity, and you know, it is maybe about letting go of some things or solidifying that actual strategy that has been you know, maybe preventing them from accomplishing what they say they want to accomplish. It's identifying obstacle and then figuring out, all, right, well, what are you willing and able to do about this obstacle? And I think for some people it it is maybe like that kind of come to Jesus moment for them, like okay, right, you know, I have to take ownership of myself and my life.
Speaker 2: I'm in charge.
Speaker 10: I can only do what I can do, and so for a lot of people, it is a reframing of things, and it's a big mindset shift. And once you shift your mindset, it doesn't usually go back to the way it used to be. So even just leaving from something like this, if you haven't created a vision board, that's fine, Like that's kind of the cherry on top. It's all of the different thought patterns that you're having, or the ideas or that you've been open to a new idea or a new way of thinking about something that's then going to carry you through to maybe making some of those changes that have been difficult for you to make.
Speaker 2: In the past.
Speaker 5: And you and I were chatting off here about this, and you said you're going to start with having some time for reflection about five And I got to tell you that has given me pause, because I don't think that I have taken a moment to look back at twenty twenty five and really reflect on what worked for me, what didn't work for me, and what I need to pull forward and what I need to leave behind. So that is something that I'm going to take, you know, you know.
Speaker 2: To heart.
Speaker 5: On this now, Michelle, I am going to Greeley to do a goobernatorial debate during this event.
Speaker 2: But how can people participate?
Speaker 10: They can just go to my website. You'll see the link to register and anybody who registers will get a recording of the event. So if you can't come live, or you can only come for part of it, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Just register.
Speaker 10: Everybody will get the recording afterwards, and then you can listen to it over and over and over and take your time, invite your friends, do you know, do it at your own pace.
Speaker 5: I put a link on the blog, but our website is better beings dot net. Better beings dot net. Good to see my friend, Happy twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Six, Happy new Year. All right, that's Michelle Zellner. I'll talk to you later, my friend.
Speaker 5: So the vision board thing is Ben Albright in the studio in a are you are you headed out on a fishing boat with your bulky sweater?
Speaker 8: The rug really tied the room together. And if you can see me right now, you get that reference. Anyway, you ever done a vision board, then I don't know what that is. Okay, it's a it's a board where you take pictures of things that you want to accomplish in the upcoming year, and you glue them all this board kind of keeping inspired, focus and motivated throughout the year.
Speaker 2: I think you can tell by the look. Come on, I know I'm gonna take that as a no. Yeah, I'm just gonna we're gonna go with that one. That sounds like a teenage girl arts and crafts kind of thing.
Speaker 5: I used to think it was stupid, and now I've honed my vision board to one word or a small phrase. So this year, my word is presence, and my focus is being present in my life to try and slow down the world as it whips by. So that's you know, it just it helps you sort of focus on. For me, I can only handle one thing. A vision board was overwhelming.
Speaker 8: It's interesting to say, because like, I don't do a vision board, but I do have like a thing that I pick for the year that's going to be kind of my focus that year and for this year. You said presence being present in the real world. Yeah, like, I'm so terminally online.
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 5: Ben's hand actually is Ben's hand is actually turned into a cellular telephone. He doesn't even have an extra phone anymore. He just holds it up to his ear and then types on the others like the cop from Terminator too, but it's.
Speaker 8: You know the actor for that, yes, Robert Patrick and Richard Patrick, the lead singer of Filter's Brother.
Speaker 2: Right, what that's random? Anyway, next time for the most exciting segment on the radio of its kind.
Speaker 5: Well done of the day, All right, what is our dad joke of the day, please, Anthony.
Speaker 2: I don't get why bakers aren't wealthier. They make so much. Go all that cake too? Yeah, yeah, so much. Today's word of the day. Please. It's an adjective adjective. It is febrile. Febro means you have a fever. We just had that one. Yeah, well, you know what, whatever, we're feverish. It doesn't and the only prescription is a different word. Okay, ready, what is Can we get a different word?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, whatever, because I feel feverish right now?
Speaker 5: What does the adjective pavanine mean? Pavanine p A v O N I n E pvinine. I don't know what the over pretending to.
Speaker 9: I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: Well let's find out, because I got no guess.
Speaker 5: Over Relating to peacocks, the word can't describe something that is colored like a peacock's tail.
Speaker 2: Havevanine? Okay? What is our Jeopardy category? Homonyms hamon, words that sound the same right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: To switch? Or the dimes and quarters in your pocket? Manny man?
Speaker 3: What has changed to throw a fishing net into water?
Speaker 2: Many? What is cast?
Speaker 3: Or the actors in a play correct part of the covering of a lizard? Or the minimum wage fixed by a performer's contract.
Speaker 2: Mandy? What a scale?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I should have that? A heap? Or the loops of yarn forming the surface of a carpet. This one's a heap? A heap, Mandy? What pile? That is correct?
Speaker 3: The triangular blade on an anchor's arm or an accidental.
Speaker 2: Stroke of good luck? Say that again. The first one is not going to help you.
Speaker 3: The triangular blade on an anchor's arm or an accidental stroke of good luck.
Speaker 2: The latter is much more useful. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: I should be Mandy. What is a windfall? Dang it? What is a fluke?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Ben, that was not your best performance? You know what it is is probably the sweater. It's got you too warm.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm off to bundled up. I got to get warmed up in the new year. That need to rechange my presence to be present to get warmed up with the sweater back on. Yeah, are today, I'm doing sports today. What do you guys got I don't know. It's just a pretty face. You just show up and does all the work and then you just show up.
Speaker 2: And many people say that this industry needs more pretty faces.
Speaker 3: Ben Ben, who should the Broncos want to face the most?
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh? Who should they want to face the least? The Texans are Chargers?
Speaker 3: Who should the Broncos wish loses the Bills Jags matchup?
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 8: I personally want the rematch with the Jags, but I think most people are going to tell you, Buffalo, there you go.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't have any questions for you at all. Is coming up next? This is just arm Candy is going to do the show. We'll be back tomorrow for a Friday edition of the show. Ask me anything and you guys, Brant, we'll do that tomorrow. Keep it right here on KOA