Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you Trusty, Hi, you're on TV. Congratulations. Here we go and let's see. We have our good friend David in here today. David read Out is here and you've got a class reunion, probably one of the coolest year reunion ever, fifty year reunion at Sooner High School. This is going to be fun. Tell us about David.
Speaker 2: Well, what we're doing is it's a two day deal May sixteenth and seventeenth. On sixteenth, we're having a reception that night at Hillcrest for the class. Yeah, and then on Saturday, what we're doing is we're opening Saturday up to the entire Sooner High graduating classes from sixty eight through eighty two.
Speaker 3: My goodness sake, you're going to have a ton of people.
Speaker 2: We're hoping, so we're really hoping that we have a big turnout. We're going to have the old high School, which is now Madison Junior Highways Sooner. It's going to be opened from ten thirty to twelve for tours. Anybody that wants to relive the days of hanging out in the hallways and all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: It'll be open for that.
Speaker 2: And then from one to three, we're going to have a party at the park at Sooner Park, we reserved the bandshell, the big pavilion.
Speaker 4: We're going to have a group a band called Scrubs.
Speaker 2: That was back in our high school days when we were at Sooner and they're still together and they're going to perform. We're going to do a concert at the banshell from one to three. We're going to have food trucks there so you can get your food there. We're going to have Sooner Junior Golf Course will be open for a private event for any graduating Sooner High Lime as well, So bring your lawn chairs, your blankets, whatever. We're hoping that the weather holds out for us, and we're really really excited and it's all free of charge. Everything on Saturday is free of charge. We will have a donation bucket. If we get some donations, we may make a gift to the city or one of the deals. But it's there's no obligation there, just coming have a good time.
Speaker 1: So this is a it's so good you have to have two days. So it's May sixteenth, and May seventeenth. This is going to bring in a lot of people, maybe some folks that probably haven't been here for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the thing I'm really excited about and working this. We have alumni that have not been to any of our reunions that are very excited about coming.
Speaker 4: So we're really really.
Speaker 2: Excited to have everybody show up and just catch up. It's been a long time since a lot of us have been together, so be a good time.
Speaker 1: My goodness sakes, this is really something else. We were kind of comparing notes and the more David kept talking about this fifty year reunion for a sooner class of seventy five. More, I'm taking notes for my fifty year. It's coming up here in just a little bit. Really know how to do this. This is gonna be a lot of fun. And it sounds like it's gonna be very casual but yet very very cordial, very fun, very organized, but also kind.
Speaker 3: Of free as well, kind of free care free.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's the thing we tried to do.
Speaker 2: We didn't want it to be a stuffy dress up big dinners and all that stuff. We just wanted it to be a lighthearted, casual get together and come and go. Not a big expense to to just show up and see some old classmates. You know, we're gonna have our principal, Dale Smith is coming. He's almost ninety five, lives in Branson and he's coming. Coach Beer Schmidt, that was superintendent here, he's going to be in attendance as well. So they're both excited to see some of the old people that gave him all trouble back in the day and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: But we're excited they were able to make it as well.
Speaker 1: Now, do folks need to check in or you know, maybe a drop a line let you know they're coming so you can kind of account for things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you haven't contact us on Facebook, we have a Facebook page Bartisville Sooner Classes seventy five Facebook page. Check in there and let us don't you coming, just so we can get a head count for that. It's we just want to make sure we have enough food.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing we do have just you know, Oklahoma in May, we do have a backup plan for inclement weather if if we do get rained out on Saturday, we are going to have the event at Sooner High School all at Madison Junior Highs.
Speaker 4: I apologize for that.
Speaker 3: What an easy slip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in our day, we had all our dances and stuff are in the gym, and this is where Scrubs perform was in the gym, and they've allowed us to have this event in the gym. In case of inclement weather, the food trucks will be allowed to park in the parking lot. We're going to have the cafeteria open for you to be able to eat in the cafeteria as well. But we're really hopeful the weather cooperates and we can do at all the park.
Speaker 1: My goodness sake, this is going to be one. This is putting on the dog. I'm telling you, this is really going to be good. We're excited now the Saturday one sixty eight to.
Speaker 3: Eighties two eighty two.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's when that was the last year Sooner High School and they combined the schools back together.
Speaker 3: Man, that's gonna be a lot of people.
Speaker 2: We're hoping. You know, it's hard in today's world to reach out. I don't we don't know how many people are around. We've had, you know, close by from those classes. But that is why we appreciate y'all letting us get on board and talk about this as well, to get out to him this way. We do have Facebook that everybody communicates today, but we thought this might be a really good way to communicate that as well.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I tried to tell my son, who was born in nineteen seventy eight that, yeah, you're in childhood of the seventies. He says, really, I don't remember. The eighties got a foggy. Nineties are pretty cool. And now my grandkids way back last century. You graduated way back last century. I said, yeah, but our cars were cooler, that's exactly right, and the grandma's or pretty and the music was really good. And the music they're still playing it on the radio today.
Speaker 3: That's how cool that music is.
Speaker 1: And they said, they'll they'll say, well, yeah, they do play that on some of the radio stations.
Speaker 3: A lot of that, a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, you know, you didn't cost you an arm and a leg in the seventies to really do much. Your gasoline up until it got stupid, was probably about thirty five thirty eight cents a gallon if that. And when it hit a dollar gallons outraging.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when we had the embargo and I got up there, it's crazy, like, oh my god, how can we afford this?
Speaker 5: Oh, but just hanging out with friends sometimes, you know, all it was is just cruising downtown, maybe cruising the drag, maybe going to your favorite place to get a hamburger exactly, grab a pizza, and just have.
Speaker 3: Conversation, listen to music. And we didn't have to we didn't have to set the world on fire.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Man, And you get to relive those days with your favorite in the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's we're really excited about that.
Speaker 3: I would I would. I would love to be able to.
Speaker 1: Have that kind of inexperience because that you're what you're offering right there. For the folks who qualified for that is it's once in a lifetime, folks. Not everybody can say that they were able to go back to a reunion to hear a band that played live when they were kids.
Speaker 2: That's that's what we're thinking too. When we found out they were doing this with a man, we've we've got it. And actually one of one of the members of the band is the older brother of one of our classmates as well, So we had we had it. But hook, we had a hook in there too, but we understand they've done that for another class as well, not at the park and stuff.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so anyway, we think it'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Well, you know that the Sooner Park is just so beautiful.
Speaker 1: You got a lot of shade there, you got a lot of cool green grass, and especially out there by the band show, you got a lot of the shade from the sun.
Speaker 3: So this is going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Now, the first part will be out at the country club, right, and what goes on out there.
Speaker 2: Just a little it's just a little reception. It's just and it's just for the class of seventy five. It's not open to the others. It's just we're just going to have, you know, our durors and just kind of hang out and visit and try to catch up. We just wanted to a place where we could just sit and catch up about things. And that's really all amounts to. It's it's very casual.
Speaker 3: You know something.
Speaker 1: I'm taking a look at you and you're you say that you graduated from high school fifty years ago, and.
Speaker 3: I'd be about ready to call FIBs on.
Speaker 1: But it's amazing, just how young people graduated in the year nineteen seventy five book.
Speaker 4: These days they look younger as I'm young time.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Now you were telling me that back in the day, Sooner High School had different classes of competition for whatever sport it was.
Speaker 3: It was kind of mixed between three A and four A.
Speaker 2: Well, Sooner we had the two high schools back then, Sooner and then College High, and uh, just the different sports had different enrollment requirements for their classifications. We Sooner was always three A and so College High was three A and some and four A and some. So we always had our crosstown rivalries anyway, we would play kind of like bedlam, if you will. But then there was some sports we were in the same conference as well, and then others we weren't.
Speaker 4: So that's the way that worked out. Wow, back in the day.
Speaker 3: Kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd think that, you know, two schools the same town would be just all at parody, but you know, things are the way things are.
Speaker 4: No, that's it exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But why I tell you why. It must have been something for football.
Speaker 4: Oh it was. It was pretty pretty heated.
Speaker 3: We'll leave it there.
Speaker 4: We'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine that.
Speaker 1: Oh man nine fifty six, and we have David Read out here, and we've got the fifty year reunion coming up for Sooner High class of seventy five. The reception will be May sixteenth out at the country Club for the year the graduating class with seventy five, but all years we'll be out there at Sooner Park the following day from one until three. Band at the band show, food trucks and a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bring blankets, lawn chairs, and just have a just enjoyable afternoon. That's our that's our plan. Just enjoy some of the old classic great music of the day.
Speaker 4: That's the whole plan.
Speaker 1: You know, something as easy as this sounds, I know that it took a lot of work.
Speaker 3: But it sounds like show up, have fun, go home. Yeh.
Speaker 1: But I know it took a lot of work. So I wanted to say, you know your team putting this together.
Speaker 3: God, I love you.
Speaker 2: No, it is great. I do have one little side note. One of our classmates, his name's Jim Pimberton. IM gonna throw his name out there. He got his radio career started at KWN back in the seventies and with Mingle and all those guys, and he always worked the night shift and some of us there's good buddies. We'd steak in the radio station at night and do his thing. And but Jim has gone from that and it's been a national DJ all over the United States big time, and he got his start right here. And the radio station has a lot of fond memories to a lot of us.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: See, folks, the more you know, tune it in every We've got a little something here. You don't have to go some college, you know, you just need to hang out here at the radio station. Well, I want to thank you for coming in today and issuing the invite to your classmates and to the others at the former Sooner Hand School.
Speaker 4: Thanks a ton for having us. We appreciate this being able to do this.
Speaker 1: You know, it's always our pleasure. And this is what we do here at our community connection. We connect right here with the community and make sure everybody who needs to know something that gets the chance to spread the word so others can't find out what's going on. I imagine there are a couple of folks here in town who might have just heard this for the first time. Others have probably known it for a year. But I know how this goes. But David, have fun, will you.
Speaker 2: Well that's our plan is to have fun and we appreciate it and hope anybody can make it, makes it out there for it, and
Speaker 3: You kids be home before curfew, all right, thank you,