Speaker 1: No sign of d of.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, I am back from LA. Everything's sort of getting back to normal. How's everybody doing? Great to be back with you all. It is going to be an exciting night. Chris is about to be dropping in. He is getting ready for the show and we're gonna be covering all kinds of exciting stuff tonight. Way more announcements than I expected this week, including a huge up from Disco Tech uh, and of course a bunch from Keno. But the man of the hour, mister Chris Haskell, is here. Chris, Hello, welcome sir, Thank you. How you doing doing well? How you been doing well? Doing well?
Speaker 1: Happy Thursday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great to see you again.
Speaker 1: Thank you, same to you. Let's see what's new since the last time I saw you?
Speaker 2: They Live?
Speaker 1: Was there? What's right below they Live? Uh?
Speaker 2: That is Evil Dead two? And then I've got the your next steel book and I think a Rob Zombie steel book and something else.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you were doing steel books on the wall? Is that new?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, it's a I've got one. I've got about eight of the little shelve they're acrylic shelves so they're see through, so they don't hide the bottom of it. And I've got like the Universal Classic Monsters steel books, okay with those, And I've got I rigged these up so that there's two of them, and each one can really only fit three, but if you put them close, you can balance one in between two of them, so we can fit seven. So I cheated the system. So I've got seven Universal Monsters one. So I got that set up. I've got a John Carpenter shrine with nine of his steel books. That's just a mishmash. And yeah, I think I've got a couple others around the room. It's kind of crazy. Good to see you. We got a lot of new stuff for you to cover this time though, Hello, can you hear me now?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I had to do that because the house is not fully asleep yet.
Speaker 2: Totally get it.
Speaker 1: I was not expecting to disrupt your stories are All.
Speaker 2: I said is we got some new stuff to cover about you this time as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, why don't you tell us what punk vacation is. Okay, thank you for the chance to do that, and John, thank you for adday listening. That's wild. So I was talking to Adam and Zach, the co host of They Live by Film. We were talking about we had this idea to kind of branch out a little bit. I definitely want to talk about that in a minute. Definitely want to. So we were talking about things to do. We kind of wanted to branch out. There's some other announcements coming out about each what each of us is doing individually, as well as sticking with they Live by Film. And I was just digging around and I had a bunch of ideas. I all thought they were great. And then I just did a search for Vinegar Syndrome podcast and I was like, wait, what, no one's done this yet, right, So all right, I guess I'll do a Vinegar Syndrome podcast And so started thinking about what it would be. Reached out to a few different folks at Vinegar Syndrome to see if they wanted to be on episode one. Kurdish Speeler said yes, And you know, it's always nice to hear from the restoration folks. They see everything forty times so they know these movies really well. And yeah, the first episode went up and honestly, the reception was great, Like we had more listens on episode one than we have had on the last you know, four or five episodes of They Live by Film. So it was really strong right out of the gate, and we hope to just keep building on that.
Speaker 2: We will dive into more about what that is as we go over the announcement about the podcast later on tonight, but I do want to stay up up a front if you want to open two tabs or pull out your phone while you're watching this and go subscribe. The first episode's fantastic. Chris is a great person and Curtis is grat at his job, and so the combination of the two of them on this episode is just amazing. Did you see what Eric Ericus is? Ryan said, I had to start other podcast too, or else I'm.
Speaker 1: Kicked out of the networks.
Speaker 2: Chris, Well, just wait because Chris is starting like three more so we'll talk about that eventually.
Speaker 1: Actually, wait, can we if Eric is in the room, can we talk about Erica for a second?
Speaker 2: I think we should. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Everybody, obviously go buy Sweetest Taboo if you haven't already. That's the first thing. But the video essay on Chinese torture chamber story, I think it's on part two, or maybe it's just an extra that's on both of them. I don't know exactly how it is, but holy cow, it is one of the best video essays they've seen in a long time. Just Erica, well done, very very excellent, well researched, entertaining, and it's about torture, so it's interesting just by the nature of it. Like it's great.
Speaker 2: I do want to point out I feel like there are a couple people that do visual essays that have stepped up in the last few months of releases. I feel like for a while they were I don't know, a little elementary, we'll say, And I think there's been a handful of them, and I've tried to call them out when possible, but I've definitely missed some. But they are, I don't know, people are like starting to up the game, and I'm loving to see that love and see.
Speaker 1: That good Sure getting back in your good graces.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, first let's talk about some pickups, Chris. What have you been getting in lately?
Speaker 1: So I took a bit of a break this summer, and then I went full ham about it a month ago. So I've had a lot coming in in the last Uh, I guess two weeks or three weeks I've had to make some apologies to the home.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Uh. One of the things I'm most excited to dig into is I do twice a year, I do a bunch of Third Window films ordered like a like a order a bunch of Third Window films from Terra Cotta and I got in their Directors Companies movies. Yeah, I just can't wait, Like the the commentary or no, the episode that Sam Degan did with Adam Terrell got me super pumped for those.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Plus there's been just a ton of discussion online and I think one of the shows you did there was a discussion about the Director's Company series as well. It's all kind of running together because I've been on planes a lot so listening to a ton of podcasts. But it's just I can't wait. Like movies like Door and The Crazy Family or something like that. I'm so pumped for those. And then what was the other big one? I did a big order, Well, oh, the partner labels, Yeah, yeah, exactly. Sam's podcast is going to be bad for my while too. I did a big order with or what I consider a big order with OCN Titles, So I got a bunch of them catching up on and trying to I caught up on Visual Vengeance as well. Now I was, I was about five behind. Caught up on them. Then obviously the Vinegar syndrome stuff. Oh then the Criterion. I waited until the last day and I was like, ah, damn it. So I wound up buying I think maybe twelve Criterion titles. Yeah, but it was a bit of an expensive six weeks.
Speaker 2: What about you, Well, I get a handful that I want to talk about, but I do want to say there is a much longer video about pickups coming over the Patreon here in the next week or so. If you want to check that out, make sure you sign up with the link of the description below. But some big ones that just landed that I cannot wait to dive into soon. Secretary from Imprint. This is a classic, And the big thing for me is all of the updated special features. Imprint has gone full bore into some releases over the last couple of months, and this is one of the big ones. And then the line that they've done that has impressed me the most, that feels like it was made for me got in the After Dark Neo Noir Cinema Collection three, and I mean I just got to say, these are all not just like erotic thrillers, but these are all just great neo noirs, mostly from the nineties, and there's something special about that period of time where it's you know, all filmed on location, all done with squibs, all done in ways that are just incredible to immerse yourself in. And all three of these box sets have been not necessarily better than the rest because they they've all been great, but they they're really nice to live in for a couple of weeks as you watch all the films and all the features. One box that I don't want to live in much, is there, Martin scor says, the Films of Faith. This is one that I only had one of the films in this box set, so this made sense to me to pick up. I understand for the people that have not because they already got the criterion. But I do want to say the booklet in this is so great. It's a really really interesting booklet, really well written and just loving it. We're probably gonna talk about this more in the next couple of weeks. But new Monto Micabro titles came in as well. Yeah, while I was in LA and then everything else we'll talk about that on the Patreon pickup show. What about some reason watches other than Vinegar Syndrome? Have you been diving into much of anything else?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I've had so all related to the podcast. I think, you know, what is probably a movie that I have to talk about for the podcast but I want to talk about I mean for the Punk Vacation podcast, but I want to talk about it anyways. Is in Trepido's Punks. Yeah, go watch that movie, y'all. That movie's fantastic. It feels like some combination of like os ploitation and like Italian genre film. It's just awesome. And like the punks in that movie, they nailed it. Like ironically, the punk's in Punk Vacation. I think that the director had never seen a punk before or met one before, maybe like read about them in a magazine or something. But yeah, in Trepido's Punk is awesome. What was one that I really loved? I was I was surprised at how much I like touch the cinematograph release. Yeah, I'm probably a little bit down on nineties movies that are not genre films, like just regular kind of.
Speaker 2: Studio nineties dramas and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that like the dark humor, and that's awesome. It's an Elmore Leonard novel, so a lot of you know, sattire, a lot of dark humor, and skeet Alrich was awesome, which I can't really like. How many times can you say that? And then two more? I'll just call out, So is Chris out of sync for anyone else? Oh? I don't know, tell me if I am.
Speaker 2: I was literally just sending you a private chat that your sound has bounced around a little bit and your video is a bit laggy.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on.
Speaker 2: Well you're checking that out. I'll go over a couple of mine real quick. I, you know, over the last couple of weeks being in LA and then catching up on some things that I missed. I've watched more than I expected, so I got a handful that I really want to go over. I can't really remember what I shared that I watched last week when I did that big live show with everybody at Jeremy's place, So I'll say that we all while we were in LA, we all watched Criminally Insane together. That was one of the the I think his name is Nick Millard double features that vinegar syndrome just did. And let me make sure I got that name right, yeap, Nick Millard and that one. I mean, it's fun. It's not the best film, but god is it an interesting watch. And it's wild to hear that they took like five weeks to film it because it didn't seem like it needed to be. One that I really want to shout out from this year that I don't think I brought up last week. Snackshack came out in twenty twenty four. It is the same director that did Dinner in America. Aero Video released that, oh gosh, about two years ago, and Snackschack is damn near close to as good as Dinner in America, which I thought was a masterpiece. I was stoked on it, and I really wish people would watch both of those movies more because the director really deserves to be a little more well known. I want to say, much to the chagrin of Dan Sibner in the chat, that I watched Trap from m Night Shyamalan in the theater this last weekend, and yeah, it's illogical, it's nonsensical. Nothing about the storyline works unless you're able to just give up on the fact that this is supposed to really make sense. That being said, I was entertained the entire time through. I don't know why Shyamalan works for me. I can't say much more than that It's not gonna be a masterpiece for probably anybody, but it's a solid three and a half. For me. It was. It was fun and that's what I wanted. That's exactly what I needed that night. Last thing, I've spent some extra time with shorts this week. I've watched three more shorts from Sean Baker that I had not seen and was able to find online. And then I really also went back to a film that I loved from just a couple of years ago and rewatched after Son, and after Sun is a masterpiece. I think everybody needs to watch after Son if you have not. Charlotte Well's first time director. It is depressing and sad. Works better on a rewatch even and is a really rewarding rewatch. Loved me some after Son. Carry on, Chris interesting.
Speaker 1: I have a couple questions there. What's the movie you like called Shakeshack.
Speaker 2: Snackshack.
Speaker 1: Not Shakeshack.
Speaker 2: Snackshack came out this year and it is from the director. His name is Adam Raemeyer. Okay, and it's great, Okay.
Speaker 1: I really want to see. Speaking of new directors that are kind of hitting their prime, I really want to see what's it called the shoot the New York ghost movie that you just announced today later, yep, kind of Kindness or whatever? Kinds of Kindness or whatever? What was the movie he just made with Emma Roberts.
Speaker 2: Where she goes to Emma Stone probably, although now I'm picturing with Emma Roberts.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I watched like three new movies a year. I'm not great with the modern with the kids.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I thought you watched more interesting that Poor Poor Things is the one from last year.
Speaker 1: Poor Things. Poor Things is like, I mean, like people are gonna be talking about that movie for one hundred years. That movie is amazing. So I can't wait to see kinds of Kindness with Emma Stone too.
Speaker 2: I hope, yep, I should use in it.
Speaker 1: The only ones I really want to call out so Radiance put out a Mario Bava movie called Planet of the Vampires, which y'all like, this is another one that's like, just watched that movie, like Holy Cow for a sci fi movie that's like a it's fully filmed on a studio lot, but he did something magic with with smoke and lights and like set design. It's it was breathtaking, like some of the shots in that film. I when I was writing about it, I just kept thinking about something Kirosarwa would make if he tried to make a sci fi It's just like every frame of painting kind of thing, beautiful, beautiful. Yeah, I'm glad, y'all agree. And then there's one more I had the list up before. Oh oh, the New Vinegar Syndrome archive title. I know that kind of gets buried because they have like three hundred of them. But they call me macho a woman as a must own like. That movie is unbelievable. It's so funny. Uh. The the the bad guy, like the main battie where's like, uh a little kind of like a strap on his head that has like a unicorn kind of dildo spike thing that he impales people with. It's fantastic and it's just full camp, like, oh, okay, it's wonderful. It's kind of hidden in the in there in that line.
Speaker 2: I am astounded. I gotta watch that. That sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 2: It's really I also don't think I mentioned what we're gonna be covering until after the announcements tonight. Uh tonight. Chris and I and I think we've done this before, but we we tend to we tend to fall back on this because we're both just so passionate about the little guys. Essentially, we're gonna be talking about some underrepresented labels tonight, Places that people forget exist, Labels that put out such good things that more people just desperately need to hear about them. I feel really bad because you did share some of your list, And then I went and gathered all of my titles and I look down and I think all but one or two of mine are all Region B. So hopefully you're over in Europe or have a region free player.
Speaker 1: But if you don't have a region free player, by now, good one, because it opens up a whole new world.
Speaker 2: It really does anything else you want to cover before we jump into our announcements.
Speaker 1: Who was the big holdout?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: John? Was it Omaha? John? Who is the big holdout? On Region B?
Speaker 2: John is a holdout? And then all that is man is a holdout too?
Speaker 1: John? You gotta do it man.
Speaker 2: Speaking of when do we get the hush announcement that should be coming up soon, No, I don't have anything else, all right, One thing I will say before we get into this, Like I mentioned, there's a huge glut of disco tech titles. We're not going to rush through those necessarily, but I'm not gonna take my time because Chris and I are both not anime fanatics and don't have a ton of knowledge, so we're mostly here to help educate people on those coming out. There are a couple of those, though, that I really want to highlight and really make sure that people understand are coming because they're very exciting. So we will we'll spend a little bit of time on them, but we get to get started in a really neat place because our first title this week Zodiac on four K. And this movie is great. This is this is like top ten of all time for me. I adore this movie. Yeah, this is this is a big deal movie for me. This is coming on four K on October twenty ninth. And what's odd, this was filmed mostly in ten ADP and so I'm not sure the process for some of these. They absolutely can export to film, make a brand new print of it, and then upload that. Now, at this point, we don't know any details, so we'll find out later. But even if they didn't do that, the HDR from this probably would love pretty incredible. So we shall see. Zepam is asking is Zodiac four k us only that's the only one that's confirmed so far, although Paramount has been doing great to do European releases at the same time, So we shall see. And this one, Like I said October twenty ninth, four k I don't think we're getting any new extras on this, but I adore this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna out out Erica here, and I hope you don't mind, Erica, But when it comes to popular releases, I think you and I tend to have similar taste. I need to know your opinion of Zodiac because I've never seen this because I have had low interest. But if Ryan's saying it's the top ten and you say you like it, then I'll add this to my watch list.
Speaker 2: It's a methodical serial killer thriller done in a way that's I don't know, it's so well made, like it's so great. Okay, Erica even says I really like them, so, not that I.
Speaker 1: Don't trust you, Ryan, but six episodes in the film Foundation, I realize our taste deviates slightly on some things.
Speaker 2: I'm not shocked.
Speaker 1: Okay, Zodiac's on my watch list then.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I can't wait to hear what you think next. One another masterpiece of my opinion, Adam's Family Values, coming on four K from Paramounts on October twenty ninth, as well. Not seeing any new features coming on this, however, I think this is even better than the original. This movie is hilarious. This movie is silly. It looks great. I can't wait to see this in four K. The HGR is gonna look stupendous.
Speaker 1: Who is the director here? I think they really nailed the tone on this.
Speaker 2: They really did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I like this one a lot. It's interesting. It's Paramount's so confusing to me right now, because it's like there, I don't know, they're holding on in a way that's excited, but I don't know. They're also not fully committing to physical media, so I don't know. They're in a confusing place for me right now. Oh very sonefeld. Oh heck, yeah, it's a good yeah, good comedian director.
Speaker 2: On top of the whole paramount, you know, not seemingly being fully dedicated. On top of all that, they're still very hit or miss on four K for every I don't know. Two titles that look stupendous on four K. One of them looks awful. One of them looks like it was transferred by somebody that has never seen the movie ever, and they just spit out whatever the scanner got, and I don't get it. I really wish they'd put more time into some of them. But I imagine these two, because of the titles, are probably gonna get a little more attention.
Speaker 1: No, sure, sure, I'll probably buy it. I don't have a lot of Paramount films, but I'll probably buy this one.
Speaker 2: Uh, Sibnar wants to know, can't tell, but it's paramount using the Paramount Scares logo on top of the slip spine. They absolutely are. They have not been doing that for tons, but it looks like they're treating that as a very specific line and not just those two box sets that they've got announced. Well, one announced, one released last year. That was a weird way to say that. Next up, our first keynote, title of the week is The Ballad of Josie from nineteen sixty seven. This one is coming soon. The big deal here is it is a Technicolor film, so it should look gorgeous, but also stars Doris Day and Peter Graves and George Kennedy, pretty massive cast. Have never seen this.
Speaker 1: One, no, I'm just looking it up. I get into a little bit of trouble for my take on westerns. I love spaghetti westerns, but just regular westerns. Not a huge fan, so I know that's not a popular take. But a frontier widow amster rays sheep despite a cattle rancher in Old Wyoming.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, see, I'm the same as you. I love me some spaghetti Westerns and I just got invited somebody from our discord actually, speaking of the Patreon earlier. If you are into conversations on all the stuff joined the Patreon, joined the discord, you'll love it. But one of our discord members is starting a podcast about westerns and invited me on and I went, just so you know, I've got some takes on westerns. But that'll be fun. We'll be talking about that more in the near future, I'm sure. Next one from them. This one excites me. Viced from nineteen eighty two getting a four K released from Keno Eventually, who knows when, brand new HDR Dolby Vision Master, so it won't be one of those Studio Canal SDR releases that they're doing. This one, of course, starring the man Wingshauser, directed by Gary Sherman, This movie's fantastic love.
Speaker 1: Wings Hauser was the guy in Champagne and Bullets right famously.
Speaker 2: I believe, so yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I don't think that's what.
Speaker 2: He's famous, but I'm definitely not famous for that.
Speaker 1: In my house, that's what he's famous for. Yeah, this movie is awesome. An unlikely Hollywood hooker helps the detective set a chop for a mutilator pimp.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this movie sleezy, it's gross, it's fun, it's entertaining through and through. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, look at the look at the poster art on from Letterbox. It makes it look awesome.
Speaker 2: What is it letterbox? Let me see? I love all the alternative Oh that's the screen factory cover art.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait ZPAM, is that true? This was an inspiration for Maxine?
Speaker 2: Or is that a joke? No? It definitely was Oh heck, yeah, that's awesome. Yeah, this is one of those sleazy eighties films that Ty West definitely referred to.
Speaker 1: The Unicorn movie is called They Call Me Macho Woman. Got It's so good. It's a vinegar syndrome archive title.
Speaker 2: Oh man, some great comments there. Next up, speaking to Paramounts, they are releasing on October twenty ninth, South Park Not Suitable for Children. This is another one of their TV specials that they've been doing for Paramount Plus. Thankfully they are all coming out on physical media for people that still love South Park. I have not seen this. I don't think I've watched a south Park episode or anything in a very very long time.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think the last thing I saw from them probably something around COVID, Probably something around like their take on COVID. But yeah, their style of humor, it plays well to a certain age group, and I'm right in that age group. I have what's the theme on this one? I was reading up about this. It looks it looks.
Speaker 2: Interesting, says after it's discovered that a teacher at south Park Elementary has an only fans pace Compelled to take a closer look at the CD underbelly of the world of online influencers.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. Yeah, they're taking only fans, feels right.
Speaker 2: Uh similar surprise paramounts letting us go to physical. They've done the last two or three, so I mean they've they've got kind of a pattern for it. Uh, dude, says Gary Sherman is an underrated director. Hope Lisa and Poulter guyst three get reissues in four K someday soon. Poultry Guys three will definitely get one from Screen Factory.
Speaker 1: I bet Wait, isn't he Wait, I'm just sorry. Isn't he the guy that did Dead and Buried? Gary Sherman?
Speaker 2: I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh no way.
Speaker 2: Bury Cult Guys three wanted dead or alive?
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, way to go, Gary, sm Uh all right.
Speaker 2: That is south Park. Next coming soon from BBC The Doctor Who sixtieth Anniversary specials. Again. I'm not a Doctor fan, but uh yeah, I'm glad this is coming out for everybody. This is getting a release in the UK and in the US, and yeah, more to pick up for fans of the Doctor. Stan.
Speaker 1: I just had a deathline to my watch list based on your recommendation. Is there a good starting place for Doctor who I feel very intimidated. There's like different doctors and different timelines and universes, and.
Speaker 2: From what I hear, if you are a fan of any of the actors that have played the Doctor, start with their first episode and watch their run and see if that is enough to entice you, and then from there go and seek out everything else, because you might fall in love or you might find out that you absolutely hate the rest of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had, Yeah, they had one guy that was good. Stan saws, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Peter Capaldi was one recently, Matt Smith was one recently. David Tennant was one recently.
Speaker 1: The Tenant is the one I was thinking of. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but okay.
Speaker 2: Paul says, start at two thousand and five. Eric says, the fourth Doctor is a good place to start for most people.
Speaker 1: Y'all two fight it out and tell me who wins.
Speaker 2: No, all right, I'll see Resident Alien season three is coming out on Blu Ray on August twenty seventh from Universal. I had no idea this was still on. I've heard this is rather good, but yeah, Alan Tudic and he's always pretty great.
Speaker 1: Oh the actor he didn't create this he accident.
Speaker 2: He acts correct, Oh yeah, never seen it in print. Is continuing to give us some overwhelmingly great TV releases. We got two announcements this time. Both are coming out on October thirtieth. The first one is The Baron the feature Films, and this is from nineteen sixty six and ITC transformed four of their episodes into two feature length film versions of them, so they do have a little bit of an extended version for each of these. And they also are throwing in Sue Lloyd at ITC as a bonus on here. But as usual, this is just a monumental piece for bonus features. If you are into these shows, if you are into anything surrounding the Baron or the actors, it is crazy how much they fit on these so they're worth every penny if you're a big fan. They're great sets. Okay. The other one they announced, I'm super excited about this one is called TV Movie of the Week Collection one, which means hopefully they're planning a election. Two. This is three TV movies combined into one hard box set from them, limited to fifteen hundred copies, and two of them first time on Blu Ray. Ever, we've Got The Deadly Dream from nineteen seventy one and Baffled from nineteen seventy two, and then the third film is Screen Pretty Peggy, which was also released by Keeno Lorber. All of these have brand new special features and it is a great looking set. I really love the style they went for to just sign the outer box on this. It's just super nostalgic of that era. Yeah, this looks like an amazing set.
Speaker 1: Are eighties TV's Ladies any other commentaries or anything.
Speaker 2: Not on this one. I don't think they've been invited to do any. Amanda rez of course, who is kind of locked down the TV movie thing. She is featured in this box set though.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was a great episode. That's the one you had on, right, was Amanda Reas well?
Speaker 2: Amanda areas is She's been on Disconnected and then we also have eighty TV Ladies Share and has been on Film Foundations.
Speaker 1: No, sorry, I remember the Amanda ray As one though. That was a great episode. Yeah, yeah, that was a really good episode.
Speaker 2: Amana has been everywhere she is somehow just I don't know. She has so many commentaries over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: No, she's great, but also eighties TV's ladies. I mean, I guess we're seeing their name a lot, but they're just like they're just encyclopedias. That was stunned, Like they really know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got I don't know, it's encyclopedic knowledge over some of these things. And they're the perfect ones to get for releases like this.
Speaker 1: Wait, Eric, I'm just reading your comment. You don't have the Prisoner. The only one you don't have is the first Hammer. Okay, good. I was gonna say, please get the Prisoner if you don't have it. I just got that in Oh, that was a pickup I got. I just got that. And that's my favorite TV show probably of all time. Whoa, I don't watch a lot of TV, but that makes sense. I love The Prisoner. It's so good, all right.
Speaker 2: Next one, House of the Dragon season two, that just wrapped up on HBO is getting a four K steel book release. This is the steel book art and a standard. These are both coming on November nineteenth. This will also get a Blu ray release and I believe a DVD. But uh yeah, I've not watched this. I will probably wait for it to be over. I just do not watch Game of Thrones though either. I'll probably binge both of them when this is over.
Speaker 1: I did, I did jump on the Game of Thrones train. The amount that it drops off after George our Martins stopped writing is insane. It just became a totally different show, and not for the better. I don't think he wrote any of these, right, This is just a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not interested?
Speaker 2: You don't like George our Our Tolkien Martin lists TV.
Speaker 1: I guess not. I've never read the novels, but they seem intimidating. They're all like ten thousand pages. But that the TV show was phenomenal for the first few.
Speaker 2: Seasons well, and people seem to love this this year. But also Game of Thrones fell off a cliff, so I totally get it. Next, another one that I didn't know was still on August twentieth, Universal is releasing Librea on Blu Ray. This is the third season of Librea, and this one's especially surprising to me because I don't recognize any of the names in this.
Speaker 1: Another show I've never heard of. I'm sorry, I'm gonna be really useless on TV. What does Lebraa translate to in here? I'll do it.
Speaker 2: It translates to the brea, the brea that was such a stupid joke.
Speaker 1: Oh, how does that even play into teeth?
Speaker 2: All right? All right, well, I imagine it's referencing the Librea tar pits in La where they found fossils in tar.
Speaker 1: They go someone that knows history.
Speaker 2: Oh, Ronnie says this was the final season of Librea. That makes sense. Okay, so it's not going on and on next one, Unearthed Films we talked about this. Oh gosh, over a year ago now, I think when Stephen from Unearthed Films was on the channel. That's when we first found out that they were getting Evil Ako. However, we just found out a release date and that it's gonna be a four K, So December tenth, we're getting a four K and Blu ray release of Evil Anko starring Malcolm mcdell. And everything I've heard about this one is that it's amazing. This is from two thousand and three. It's a little bit of a later Malcolm McDowell. I am oh man, Chris, that was funny. I'm very interested to see what this film is all about. And the synopsis on this one says in nineteen Kiev, a disgraced communist school teacher becomes a brutal, unfeeling serial killer based on the crimes of Andre Chikatillo. Definitely interested in this unearthed. I don't know. I feel like Unearth is kind of stepping up their game a little bit. They're getting kind of bigger titles. They're they're making a bigger impression with some of their stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is I remember when this came out, Actually it was in the theater, the festival circuit. I think it did pretty well. Like I think this was a pretty well received movie.
Speaker 2: Simner says. August Underground Extended Set, we got an update. Stephen had said it would be at least a year after all three sets came out, and I believe the third one came out in December of last year, so it'll probably be I don't know, at least another six months until we see that critical support to Evil Anko Nice. Nice. Next up is our Disco Tech. We've got a lot of to cover here. First is Space Sheriff Shader from nineteen eighty four, remastered in HD with brand new subtitles. They've got some extras on here. As we're going through these, Chris, stop me if you've heard of it or have anything to say.
Speaker 1: I'm a big Black Lives Matter fan, so I'm not gonna be watching anything with Space Shriffs, just on principle.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, totally get it. Thanks for your support. I will let it go. Next one is Captain Harlock Space Pirate. This is from nineteen seventy eight to all forty two episodes, upscale to ten ADP, the same upscale that was released in Japan. We got English subtitles on this. This is coming in September. Next one is I Believe pronounced Da Los or Dallos. This is from nineteen eighty three and eighty four. There's a brand new HD transfer looks great. Supposedly it's gonna have English subs coming in September. And then next is Giant Gorg from nineteen eighty four. Brand new hdbremaster from the original films on this all twenty six episodes on the Blu Ray. This is gonna be coming later this year, not in September, but pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Many goreg was a favorite of mine, so I'm excited to finally get to see Giant Coig.
Speaker 2: The upgraded version. Next is Space Musketeer Bismarck from nineteen eighty four in HD for a Blu Ray release with all fifty one episodes with English subs coming soon. Next, a Common Writer V three release from nineteen seventy three, all fifty two episodes in HD with English subs. All kinds of extras coming on this one, and this will be released before the end of the year. Actually, Bob Rodney's comment.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I'm cracking up on some of the comments. Disco tech equals p break is pretty funny too, but all space shafs and bastards had me cracking up. Isn't Common Writer like a Higher Arrangers type thing where they like use live footage and mix it with like weird puppets and stuff. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I believe it's called Tokusatsu. Okay, I believe it is, or at least one or two of the because Common Writer has had a whole bunch of shit done for it. There's been multiple degrees films and everything. Uh so, yeah, I think at least some of them are. Uh where's the Night Common Writer series? I think that is also coming soon. I'm not sure who has it though, all Right, Next up is uh Chi the Brat the second series. This one's gonna be thirty nine episodes on SD Blu Ray in Japanese with English subs. They've got some extras on this coming later this year. Now, I got a bunch of questions because Disco Tech does this a lot. They'll release SD episodes of TV shows on Blu Ray, and somebody asked why. There's a hand full of reasons. One, usually the previous release was out of print, so if they can get in print, that's a good thing. Two, Blu Ray is more scratch resistant than DVDs, so it's safer for you to have it on home video. Three, you can fit more on a disc. So technically, if this whole series would have been I don't know, five discs on DVD, it's possible it could be sometimes only one, maybe two discs on Blu Ray. And if that's the case, it's actually cheaper to produce, so they could put this out and it could be cheaper than a DVD set. So yeah, there's there's lots of reasons. But the biggest thing, most of these that they're putting out and have been out of print, and there's no reason not to get them back in print. Eric, Any live action special effects shows or movies are referred to as tokusatsu by the Japanese, so I guess I kind of messed that up.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Eric. This picture gives me a headache. I can't imagine watching this.
Speaker 2: I get that. I'm glad it says artwork not final, because I would not want to look at that like that either.
Speaker 1: But just the energy that in that image makes me this is a version of hell for me. Watching Chi the Bratt second TV series, this is actually like a torture device for me.
Speaker 2: I get that. Reggie wants to know shire most series released on DVD now. I believe the answer to that is because most of them simply don't have proper HD masters sadly, and at SD is the best they can do. They should just put SD on Blu Ray, but I don't think that's done by most companies. Disco Tech is really the only one that does it quite often. All right, Next one gto Great Teacher onie Zuka. This is from ninety nine and two thousand, coming on Blu Ray in September. All forty three episodes in SD on Blu Ray in Japanese with English subs. They've got some bonus features on this as well, so it's not just bare bones Loop in the third Italian game, which is almost all of the Loop and the third stuff that they have put out finally coming to Blu Ray. This is coming in September. They are gonna have some extras.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I've heard of this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one has like it's kind of the same as common Writer. This one's been everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Next one is Magical Girl Lyrical Nan No Huss Strikers. That's a mouthful of a title. All twenty six episodes on Blu Ray. First ever home video release in North America. This lab English subs with the Japanese audio, with some extras coming later this year.
Speaker 1: Just a fair warning buying this put you on a watch list immediately. Yes we can tell Young Day look whatever. I won't get into my anime tic, but yeah, this is a These are not interesting so far.
Speaker 2: I love Winner's joke that can't believe we're getting gto before GTA six. Next title is Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. This is coming soon on Blu Ray Native HD for the first time on Blu Ray North America in Japanese with English subs and also dubbed in English, featuring the cast of the games. Next is Kite Integral Version, coming in September on Blu Ray. This is based on earlier Media Blasters restorations that they had released, but these are improved. There was missing shots that have now been restored, Framing mistakes were fixed, original titles have been rendered again. A thorough restoration. Here we go of the adult's only uncut version and the US General release version, as well as an international cut never before released in the US. Three versions all on one disc. All bonus features will be here as well, plus an all new.
Speaker 1: Doc Sidney, Yeah, this sounds like it, he said this look get.
Speaker 2: Your so so much. Next one Humanoid Monster Bement from two thousand and six is coming later this year. All twenty six episodes in Japanese with English subs, extra some nifty TV ads all right. Next is Groje Groasier X from nineteen seventy six and seventy seven. I love the way they wrote this copy from NAC Productions. Astro ganger charge man can Yeah, that's right, those guys. I don't know Bang, I'm not in on the end joke on that one, not to be confused.
Speaker 1: With Astro Gangbang, which will also get you on a watch list.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that yes, all thirty six episodes on st Blu Ray in Japanese with English subs. Next is Party seven. Uh. This one's live.
Speaker 1: Action sable anime body.
Speaker 2: This one is directed by Katsuhito Ishi and this is from two thousand. This we'll have alternate ending director, interview, making of storyboards, and all kinds of extra stuff. I believe this is coming as part of the Neon Nights line that Discotheque has done. Uh so, yeah, that's a good thing. This is probably really good. Actually. Next one is Dolroro from two thousand and seven. This one is gonna be for the first time on Blu Ray North America, with some extras coming soon. Uh this one sounds great. Robo Geisha from two thousand and nine. This one is from the team behind Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police. That'll be something that gets people excited in Japanese with English subs as well as the Fundamation dubbed version. And uh yeah.
Speaker 1: This is the best one on here so far. Wait, what is Tokyo Tokyo Gored police. There's a connection we have to that is that director. It's not an animated film, right.
Speaker 2: No, it is a very bloody yeah yeah Mura.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the Sorry this is not captivating TV. But there's one that he did that, oh, Anatomya Extinction. Yeah, he did the He's the first release from era forty four to forty four. That's why the name is so familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this one says exactly what it sounds like. A Geisha is transformed into killer Cyeworks.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this guy rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Next one is Electric Dragon eighty thousand volts. This was released from Third Window in the UK, so coming in the US on Blu Ray. They say this will be a kitchen sink disc. Tons of stuff on here, interview, stage greetings, concept art and more. And yeah, this one's supposed to be great. Did you watch this one from Third Window?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, I saw this like the year it came out or something. I saw this. Oh wow, yeah, this one came It was like a let me make sure that I'm not thinking of the wrong one. This is like a two thousand and two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Is type one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I saw this. I think in theaters even this movie is great, super.
Speaker 2: Fun, amazing. That's fantastic. Silent Mandible just got a region B of that. Nice. Next one is Keiko Common the Trilogy or Kicko Common the Trilogy. This one says, do you like naked ladies, because here's a superhero trilogy with a lot of them. Direct to video features from the early nineties on home video for the first time ever in North America on SD blu Ray, coming later this year. I mean that that's an easy way to sell a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I like how you just get right to the point.
Speaker 2: Yep Next one from Discothech is Android kikater This is all forty three episodes in HD in Japanese with English subs. They've got some extras on here, and this is coming later this year. There's a whole lot of Disco tech announcements. Next one, this one's coming soon. Special Rescue Police Win Spector from nineteen ninety nineteen ninety one, all forty nine episodes on SD blu Ray in Japanese with English subs. But maybe the biggest news MXC most Extreme Elimination Challenge. The series is coming on SD blu ray. Volume one will be coming this year, comprising the first three seasons. Volume two will follow later. They will have extras that will be determined later. There are I believe they announced in their zoom little stream that they did that there are either four or five episodes that they could not clear the rights to, and everything else is here. So I am so great. I am so great. I'm so glad that this is coming out. This is a big deal. Some of the DVDs have been out of print for quite some time. This alone will be cheaper than Yeah, why do we have a daffy duck? That's a funny gift happening on the screen and I can't hide it. Movies with Brandon is very excited about this, clearly. Yeah, this is like both volumes together will be cheaper than one of the season's DVD is going for right now. So this is a huge deal. Stoked about this. I'm sure most people have seen forty three episodes of this without even realizing, and I cannot wait to watch them again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little bummer they didn't put Takushi's Castle on as like a bonus feature or something. Yeah, but I mean hell yeah, Like I'll be there'll be a disco tech title in my home. I would didn't expect to be saying that.
Speaker 2: I've got a few. They do good work. I'm sure that is it for Disco Techs. Now we're back to the regular stuff November twenty sixth. We're archive just wanted to come out ahead of it, I guess, and get people hyped and understanding. Looney Tunes Collector's Choice Volume four is coming November twenty six We will get a proper announcement with the list of shorts and all that that are gonna be on it. I'm just so glad that this is coming. This is you know, this has been a great, great series that they've done. I think that they've been great. I just wish they, I don't know, could do all of them. It would be nice. I feel like they've jumped around a little bit. But I'm glad this is coming.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a standard now for forty movie forty discs, forty nine disc because that's excuse me, that are comprehensive. So well, no, they don't even have to be comprehensive.
Speaker 2: Not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: So hopefully they do put out everything. I mean, you would think that they would do like one hundred copies of just like the Looney Tunes moot show, like cartoons. Right, Yep, honestly I would buy it. I mean I don't even know if it's five hundred bucks. I don't care. Like I would own it just to just to have it. I mean those are like I grew up on these.
Speaker 2: I agree, Holly, it absolutely would be worth it. Kevin from Almost Major says, that's it for Disco Tech. What a light slate. The funny thing is I picked and chose what to post. There was still like eight or nine other announcements from them that I didn't post. All right, keeping this going, here's a little movie that most people maybe have never heard of. October twenty first, BFI in the UK is releasing a four K and Blu Ray release of Seven Samurai, newly restored by Toho in four K. This is coming in a Blu ray or sorry, four K presentation in Dolby Vision. You got a new audio commentary by Adrian Martin on this. There's a whole lot of archival extras on this. We've got a double sided poster set of four postcards, updated and improved English subs, and some other extras coming as well. Chris, how do you feel about seven Samurai.
Speaker 1: This is one of those Evil Dead type titles where I'm tempted on every version of it that comes out. I can yeah, I just I don't know. I mean, I don't even care that it's cliche. Yeah, No, keV, don't don't go into this without seeing the first six. It'll be very confusing.
Speaker 2: I mean, they get a little derivative around for Samurai, but seven Samurai is pretty.
Speaker 1: Good, and it starts off with one. Honestly, it's a little boring.
Speaker 2: But I get it. I will say, of course, we've gotten lots of questions this week on is there a US version coming? Undoubtedly, Criterion is releasing this on UHD eventually, when that could be November this year, it could be November of twenty twenty nine. However, I would be willing to bet half of my collection that Criterion is going to release seven Samurai and four K in the US.
Speaker 1: How many Criterion movies in your collection.
Speaker 2: Probably two hundred and twenty five ish something.
Speaker 1: How much to take that bet, just to take just on the chance they don't. That's a good bet.
Speaker 2: It's an easy bet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The third Samurai is the one without a Samurai. It's it's everybody's it's a cult favorite.
Speaker 2: I just love to seeing American History acts. Need to see the first nine. Oh got him crying. That was really good.
Speaker 1: That's good. I have PTSD because we just had to watch all of the Fast and Furious movies for the podcast for the other By the time we got to Fast X, I was like, I was very much over that series.
Speaker 2: Stan.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking. I've been going back and forth on this point ever since, ever since I saw it. It's pretty it's pretty on point with like the emotions of the movie. But for me, like I just can't like that that classic image of like the six dots and the triangle at the bottom, I just I don't know, Like, for me, that's the movie. I mean, I'm not trying to argue with you, this is a great image, but I was just processing. I was thinking about this a couple of days ago when I saw this.
Speaker 2: All right, moving right along Wow From seven Samurai to Tinto Brass. October twenty second, Cult Epix is releasing a four K and blu ray release of Cheeky from two thousand. On this you have two options for sight exclusive slip covers that are supposedly selling pretty well. You've got the pink and then you've got the blue that is not censored and is just pure. But as you come to expect from a tinto ass sorry tinto brass title, on this, we're gonna have a new audio commentary by Eugenie or Kilani and Nathaniel Thompson. You've got a bunch of interviews, You've got a bunch of archival information. This is gonna be a solid, solid release if you on the Cult Epics site, which is not a great website by the way, we can talk about that for sure, but if you go on there you can get this exclusive release they're doing with postcards and everything. I just want to say, Cold Epics needs to get their stuff together. If you go on their site and you click on a title, it takes you to a PayPal checkout screen. There's no give me more information, there's no shopping cart function click buy. That's it. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, Shopify is expensive. But there has to be a middle ground, right since one this is the guy you know, there actually is a motif between seven Samurai and Cheeky. There's a ton of male Japanese Ass and seven Samurai.
Speaker 2: Ain't that the truth?
Speaker 1: So it's not that much of a stretch. Actually, until Brass could have made seven Samurai.
Speaker 2: While discussing this, I said, do we need to use the word stretch while discussing this? Oh man, all right, going to the next one. Speaking of you just brought amazing. September tenth, Mill Creek is releasing icons Unearthed, Fast and Furious. Uh, this is supposedly a really great documentary series. Do I miss a comment?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I was just I was just being sarcastic to your comment. I'm so I have so much PTSD or on anything related to.
Speaker 2: The I'll pick you up a copy of this. This one they were able to get tyresee t I and Lucas blackback on to discuss the series. Not everybody is involved. But yeah, it's supposed to be pretty good documentary series. I imagine webably have two or three more of these coming. Wait, they've already done The Simpsons and a handful of others. I don't I don't think there are two B level docs, but I don't know. Maybe they are.
Speaker 1: Hold on, they got okay, Tyres makes sense.
Speaker 2: T I isn't he only in one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Yona who Lucas Black is. He's the dude from Tokyo Drift who makes like a brief appearance in maybe like nine eight nine, But like that's who they got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's over five hours of interviews from those that's what they list. And it's the sixth part documentary. I don't know. That's a lot. Next up, Ultraman Blazer series and movie from twenty twenty three and twenty four is coming from Mill Creek on October twenty ninth. You can pre order this now. The Ultraman stuff has been very well taken care by Milk Creek. I bet this is gonna look great. This is one of those things that mill Creek gets access to really high level scans and everything for. They did the same with the Andy Sedaris titles everything else that's not great sure that Milk Creek puts out. But I hope this looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know Ultraman has a lot of fans.
Speaker 2: This is a top notch joke signer. They interviewed TI a lot for this. This segment is called t m I. That's very funny. Let's see what is next long Legs is coming to a four K steel Book near you if you're in the UK from black Bear. This is a distributor in the UK, and we don't know about extras yet. You can get this on Amazon UK. You can get it from AHMV Diabolic in Orbit still had some left today, but Diabolic has warned a couple of times that they've sold out of their fulfillment and somehow they were able to get a little bit more. So hopefully if you're after this, you get it now. I've had some people ask this week is this going to be coming to Steelbook in the US, And I have to say, if I'm a betting man, I would say this is a no. Neon has not done any steel books in the US. Previously, they had done one with DCAL, but I believe that was before they had really started working together with DCAL. So my bet is it would not be coming to steel Book in the US. If you really want the steel Book, there's a multiple distributor or multiple retailers in the US that are selling it, so now's the time if you really want it. It's a little pricey, it's like forty six bucks, but now is the time to pick it up if.
Speaker 1: You want it. Who is the This is a somebody's son or a new director? This is a who is this again?
Speaker 2: This is Anthony Perkins' son? Yeah, Perkins, that's right, and he's done. I think this is his third or fourth feature, and so far they're all pretty damn great. His breakout feature was Black Coat's Daughter with who you mentioned earlier? Accidentally, Emma Roberts.
Speaker 1: Just tying it go back together? Should I see this or Zodiac first?
Speaker 2: Ooh? Zodiac for sure? Okay, Zodiac is a much better movie than this. Ooh, much better, much better by a long shot.
Speaker 1: Take that as good? Uh.
Speaker 2: The Urckemeister Harmonies by Belatar. This is coming on a standalone four K release in the UK from Kurzone on October fourteenth. This is yet another situation where they're putting out a film on four K and then releasing a box set that only has that same film on Blu Ray. They are also doing Bellatar, a Chrizone collection on that same day. Chris, tell the class how you feel about Kurzone.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, well this one it won't be an isshe you hear, because they put subtitles on movies that are not filmed in English, so it won't be an issue here. I'm so confused by a karison because they seem to have people that like the kind of movies that I like. And this is a great example, like I'll buy this box set and I'll and I'll watch these movies again. But I just yeah, they just they reuse, uh, they reuse what's it called scans, and they just go cheap on the actual transfers, and like the the quality of the film in the box, that's but they they put all their money onto artwork, and you know, the special features are all over the place. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're empty. They're just it's just so scatters shot. It's like there's no quality controller vision.
Speaker 2: Right, And then they release a Ruben Oslin set and it has a custom card game in it, Like you go through that much care, but yet on a really great, large, one truer set, you can't put English subtitles on English films.
Speaker 1: Drove me crazy. But like, honestly, mister Workmeister Harmonies is a beautiful, like for if for anybody who hasn't seen it, it's just like a meditative, slow, very beautifully shot film. I loved it. Uh, I got kind of got like an entrance watching it. It's it's very good.
Speaker 2: Uh excuse me.
Speaker 1: Dying you choked up. That's the effect it has on people. If you need to take a break, I can talk about this movie for a minute. So the basic promise is as if Ryan dies, I don't have the ability to uh switch, So we're gonna be talking about Wirkmeister harmonies for the next three hours. But or we'll just watch it together. But it's like a it's the whole movie is like a metaphor, and so you you're watching this town and like a circus come into the town, and the town react to the circus, and they bring an actual whale into this town. But while everything is kind of while the circus is in here, the town is kind of falling apart, and there's not an invasion, but there's an army that kind of comes in and disrupts the town. And so there's just it's like layer on layer of metaphor. But it's it's it's a beautiful movie. It's very very good.
Speaker 2: I inhaled a cough drop. I'm sorry. I came home from La pretty sick and I'm mostly over it. But trying to be okay, well you.
Speaker 1: Were actually choking. I thought it was just like a like swa went down the wrong pipe or something no in.
Speaker 2: A hil to cof drop and it it messed me up this one. For some reason, I feel like a lot of people forgot or didn't realize. Criterion released this earlier this year in April. It also came out on four K here, but for the longest time, this was very heart see in Region A. This is a title that was not able to be gotten easily. This is something that I had somebody today commenting when is this ever gonna come out in Region A or Region free? And I just say, hold on here, let me get you a link. So now that you're looking at it, this is also out in the US if you're after it still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful and someone is sorry, can I scroll down? Eric, you're talking about the soundtrack. It is a beautiful soundtrack too. Yeah, that's a good call out.
Speaker 2: Let's see, heybe he's trying to claim my Connection collection. I already bet half the collection, so good luck. Eric says this is one of the greatest openings of all time, and uh yeah, this is one fans of slow Cinema are gonna be after fans of Belatar. This is this is pretty much everything that we could have wanted in a great box set. Of course, Eric is pointing out wish that had tars TV version of Macbeth. The hour long film consists of only two shots. That's that's wild, all right. So that is Curzone next up. We have not talked about this yet because we didn't get any details, and I'm not like all those other channels that wants to get all these clickbait things. So now it's time to talk about a nightmare on Elm Street. This is getting a four K steelbook and standard release from Warner Brothers in the US, coming in the UK, gonna be everywhere. But this is gonna have both versions on this. This is gonna have the uncut and the theatrical version. From what I remember, the uncut is just a couple of slightly extended scenes, a little bit more Gore classic Wes Craven stuff. Do you how do you feel about the art on this?
Speaker 1: Chris not a huge fan, but I imagine there's gonna be some kind of box set coming out at some point, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's two thoughts on this obviously, this is I don't know, it's expensive and this is a long time coming. There's what seven films if they if they want to do just the core set. Uh, technically you could do eight, I guess. But the hard part is Warner Brothers just sent out a survey asking people which of these titles would you love to see on four K and one of the options was Nightmare on Elm Street one through seven and it was listed as one through seven. So will there be a box set? I mean, my gut says yes, because this is such an exploited title, but I mean the way the world is and Warner Brothers just seemingly doesn't care.
Speaker 1: But didn't didn't Warner Brothers do those like that Harry Potter set where it was like padded and you slide in the slip cases? Are the steal books?
Speaker 2: I mean yes, yes they did.
Speaker 1: And that's like their thing, right, is like the big kind of chunky steel book box set. I wouldn't mind one of those.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 1: Is it a right? Do they not have all the all the movies?
Speaker 2: They have all seven of them. I don't understand why they wouldn't necessarily it, For all we know it could be elements. But if they're if they're asking people if they would like it, I imagine they think they can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want I still have that old I can't. I mean it's probably Warner Brothers that put it out. That old DVD set. There was like the snapcase ones that all came in the same So that's the only way I can watch those movies right now. So I don't know that I'll get this though. I'll probably wait a year or two and see what they do for like a set.
Speaker 2: This one. I know similar saying I broke those features to you a month ago. It wasn't just about special features. We just found out that it's coming out on October first. We found out that this is gonna be coming widely. It's not something that's gonna be exclusive anywhere. We finally got the art in HD rather that you know, some some blurry leak from some retailer site. So there was a lot that goes into it. There will be some features on this. There's alternate takes, and they say learn filmmaking secrets behind the Nightmare by jumping to video highlights while watching the movie. Two commentaries on this, both of them are old archival commentaries, alternate endings, three featurettes. As far as I can tell, nothing really new, but it looks it looks like the best that they can do for this without hiring people for new special features. I'm not against the art. From what I remember, I believe there's something about Robert England's likeness that they can't show him on the cover art of some of these unless they use very specific art. I don't know why they don't just use that on the steel book, but I don't know. It's not terrible, could be worse.
Speaker 1: The image I have in my head for this whole series, Fair or Not is them getting sucked into a bed and like the blood squirting out of the bed, Like that's kind of like in my head, that's like the image for the whole series.
Speaker 2: And that was Johnny Depp. Of course, the one and the only next is the UK version of that one, and the same and it looks like they're using the same steel book there. They've got a book since this is a collector's edition, because the UK gets so much beefier sets than we get in the US. You've got some alt posters and I mean, this one looks like a pretty pretty decent set if you really want to go all out. If this is one of your favorites, I'm very curious to see what they have on here for Never Sleep Again. I kind of doubt it will be the entire documentary since it's I don't even remember five hours long or whatever. Yeah, but yeah, this looks This looks like a good set. If this is one of your favorites.
Speaker 1: I do I have like this is one of those what's the word nostalgic movies for me, Like I saw this. This is one of the ones I saw way too young. I was probably I don't even know if five six seven when I saw it, and it didn't really scar me, Like I was kind of laughing at it. It's kind of what one of the ways I found out my brain was broken. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Though I think I saw this. I think this is the second one that I consciously watched as a horror movie. And I think it was like nine when I saw this. Fell in love, absolutely love it. Yeah, Barry is saying, well, the four K be a reliable transfer. Yes, I've seen the four K remaster in the theater. KB is here and he saw it with me. And he said, I like the art of the damn four K transfer, which I've now seen twice. It looks great. There's no reasona worry about this one. It's a stupendous transfer. It looks amazing. Oh, there we go. Zepam says, it's not the four plus hour Never Sleep Again doc. It's a fifty minute doc from two thousand and six. Well, Never Sleep Again is worth it. Everybody should seek that out. The other big news of the week god Zilla minus one getting official US releases from Toho on top of that big Japanese box set. Unfortunately, we don't really have details on this. We know when it's coming out, we know what it looks like. We don't know if this will have bonus features, but there's three discs here, so I imagine it will. However, will those be subtitled in English? Who knows? This is also everywhere like very expensive. It's way more expensive than you would expect for a four K steel book. I hope people check this out, but I imagine this is going to be the next over exploited title for physical media. There is a four K steel book version coming of this. There's a standard four K steel standard four k coming of this. There's a Blu Ray coming of this. There's a lot. I've had a lot of questions people asking will let have the English dub. It will not that English dub that was made by Netflix and that will never be released. That's not attached to Godzilla minus one Netflix created. It will not be a part of the discs.
Speaker 1: Plan nine wants to know if Godzilla has lip filler. I haven't seen this movie yet to confirm.
Speaker 2: I don't think that was about Godzilla.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: I hope it was. Is there lipfiller on one of these? I don't know. Yeah, Godzilla's getting a lot. Yeah. Next up, we have Trauma releasing Toxic Crusaders, the animated series from nineteen ninety one, coming on Blu Ray with all new remasters on December tenth. Now I know it's Trauma. Chris and I both love Trauma. We both have a history with Trauma. We both have watched many of these titles and have both been very disappointed in Trouma Blu rays in the past. However, some of the pictures from the shots from this look mind blowing. I really think they actually went back to the original and made this look incredible. I'm kind of very excited to get this. What do you think of Toxic Crusaders.
Speaker 1: It's in a very similar conversation for me with The Clerks the animated series. They're just like nostalgic, sweet cartoons that I can put on and like watch anytime, and I like them, and this series is just I don't know. Lloyd Coffin is amazing what he was able to do with one character. It's just like, I don't know, I love the man.
Speaker 2: One character with a mask in them up? Uh, what's funny? Kev's all excited that we mentioned The Clerk's animated series. I almost bought The Clerk's Animated series last week in LA and now I regret it. I probably should have the old DVD. Yeah, I don't have it.
Speaker 1: Well, I know this is not relevant to this, but you know, if you ordered from views website back in like early two thousands, Kevin Smith would sign everyone. So I've got that's one of the ones that he signed for me.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Nice, but yeah, Toxic Crusaders the series is awesome, I would say. I mean, I'm not going to sell it. You either kind of want to see that if you don't but I love it if.
Speaker 2: You're really into Toxic Crusaders. Out of Nowhere. Fright Rags just launched a Toxic Crusaders line this week. I linked that as well if you want to check it out. They're actually pretty good designs. I'm kind of surprised, but yeah, if you're into it, check it out. This one is weird. So October eighth, Keno is re releasing Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. But what's crazy. This is the same disc that was the second Blu Ray disc from their four K release from last year, So they're basically just putting out a standalone Blu Ray, which I thought they already had before, but maybe it just wasn't three version, so they wanted that one out for people that just wanted it on Blue and not four K. I imagine that's the reason.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about this more in a minute, but do you think there's some market research out there that shows that if people see four K, they're not gonna buy it, even if it says four K plus Blu Ray or something like that.
Speaker 2: I imagine there is market research that says that, but also market research that shows if it doesn't say four K, they're not buying it. So no, for sure, it definitely goes both ways.
Speaker 1: There's an interesting one we're gonna be talking about later that they chose not to put four k in and I'm just interested to see if this is a trend.
Speaker 2: But anyways, all right, next one, just an update from Scarecrow Video. It's been about six weeks since they made their big announcement about their fiscal situation, and we had Joel on the channel with Kate and they just wanted to update everybody and they said as of writing this, which was about ten days ago or so, they had raised almost a half a million dollars, which is about a quarter of what they were after they wanted one point eight million total, and they've got a lot, and they've got still quite a bit of time, but they definitely want to show people that there's still ways that you can support. So remember recommend any angel donors that you know to Scarecrow. You can alert any foundations or granting organizations that might be a good fit for them. If you're a nonprofit professional or you know somebody Seattle Base that could help, They will happily take advice from them. There's a member survey that's coming out and I think it's either out or about to come out. And you can also rent by mail support Scarecrow rent by mail. Erica, who was in the chat earlier that we were talking about highlight Scarecrow almost as much as me. Uh, there was something for the book that Erica needed that the only place that she could find it was from Scarecrow. So there are definitely titles that if you absolutely want it, Scarecrow is going to be the last stop. But also just spread the word. Make sure that people understand that is somebody that needs help and they can donate. And the website for that is listed here. It's the Scarecrow video dot org slash s o.
Speaker 1: S yeah that we you know, living in Austin, we've seen one like beloved video chain go under. It was called I Love Video and so yeah, it sucks. I mean it sucks like it impacts the whole community.
Speaker 2: So does.
Speaker 1: I certainly gave and I hope other people do.
Speaker 2: Another update, this one from Treasured Films in the UK. They'd like to thank everybody and they've been navigating through a transitional period while they change their wholesaler. They wanted to say that the island is at the printers, while you might be the killers close behind down. The Mummy is still coming through the QC process so that they can get that out properly for everybody. And then a big update. They wanted to say that you've heard it here. First, we have our first North American title on the way and you can I think the BBFC for that, they will leave it there for now. Now doing some digging, it sounds like it is this ultra gory made for TV or shot on video Italian flick that was just denied by the BBFC recently. Not a guarantee, but it looks like it could be that, so we shall see pretty soon.
Speaker 1: I feel silly saying this. I've never heard of Treasured Films.
Speaker 2: What I mean, They've only released I think three titles so far that have actually come out, so I get that.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean, like, you know, given our topic tonight, Oh I've seen this Mausoleum release. Okay, yeah, okay. Treasured Films so they're the UK based.
Speaker 2: They are UK based. However, if you're in the US, Terror Vision is helping sell their titles. You can go over to terror dash Vision dot com and pick up terror Vision and Treasured film's titles all in one fell swoop.
Speaker 1: Dang, there's so cheap. There's seven pounds on their website.
Speaker 2: They are very cheap standards.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's great. Yeah, go to Terror Vision. Sorry I didn't mean to. Yeah, go to Terror Vision.
Speaker 2: No, you're absolutely right. Obviously, the shipping will be the kicker there if you're in the US. So check out Treasure Films, check out Terror Vision. Good stuff all around. Hey, Punk Vacation and your SnO podcast. We talked about this a little bit earlier. What else can people look forward to hearing, you know, throughout the month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I have to shout out if you could possibly pull up the artwork for one more second. There is somebody who's a listener. I don't I don't think he would be in the room tonight, but his name is Adam Danburry, and he's on Instagram just at Adam Danbury and he's just like a professional graphics designer. He does like ads for soaps and shampoos and stuff, and just offered to do this in his free time. And we went back and forth a few times, and I'm just I'm in love with this artwork. So I just wanted to call out Adam and say thank you. I just I think he nailed it. I asked him for something that kind of felt like Andy Warhol and uh and obviously please include Rudy Raymore if you can to my favorite one of my favorite things about well do my favorite things about vinegar syndrome. And I think he nailed it. So but yeah, so anyways, thank you, Adam, Thanks Dan Yeah, Adam Danbury on Instagram. Nothing like this on his on his Insta. But so, I I really want to have it be organized because I think the films and the content is crazy enough, so I want people to have like consistent expectations of what they're going to get. Then the episodes can get crazy, but the format is consistent. So the the day or like the day of or the day after the announcements, I'm gonna be getting on with iter Syndrome employee and we're gonna talk about the announcement. So that's why Curtis was on in August. We recorded that August first, I edited quickly and it was released August second. We're gonna try to do it that way, so it's like pretty quick and you get that release. If anybody from Vindierger Syndrome is on tonight. I don't mean this as a slight. I was just surprised they refuse to go even a day early. It's just I guess it's their culture. They just absolutely won't go on the thirty first, just to kind of make things easier. You know, that's fine, So record on the first or second based on availability, and then try to quickly edit it and get it out. And then you know, I'm a subscriber, so I get the movies in around the twenty fourth twenty fifth of each month. So these movies that I got in July twenty fourth, I've been watching. And then as I go through all the Vinegar Syndrome mainline stuff and all the sub labels like vsl vsp VS you uh wait, VSA, vsl vsp VS, U, U Degasser, Cinematograph and just distrib picks. I think I got them. I think I got them all. But I'll try to go through all those for sure, and then I'll get as many of the OCN titles as I can. And after that and uh and just then around the fifteenth of the month, whatever that Friday is, It'll be sometimes the thirteenth or twelfth or you know, fifteenth, but I'll want to try to get it around the fifteenth. I'll either do it myself or I'll have if any of y'all have, like you know, like KB, I know, I see as in here whoever else has YouTube shows if if anybody wants to just come talk vinegar syndrome at that one's a little bit more open. I might have vinegar syndrome folks on that as well as I can get them. Well, yeah, I guess I don't mind saying this. Liberty is going to be on the one in September in the in the of the month, so but then we'll just talk about the July releases and then so that'll be the core. The first is like the announcements. The fifteenth is the ones from the previous month, really kind of going through them and talking about him. I'm gonna be honest. If I don't like it, I'm gonna say it, even if someone from here. I mean, I just you know, I want to try to be an honest place to go through and say in my opinion at least. And then I'm gonna try to do a back catalog section as well, where we highlight some films that did need to get some love.
Speaker 2: So I am just like Brandon, super stoked for this again. The first episode was great Curtis because he literally sees every film far too many times because it goes through him. He knows everything, and he was able to speak on everything super competently, and you're passionate about it. It's it's great. It's the perfect show for anybody that loves VS. Please go subscribe.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you for the Limelight Core.
Speaker 2: Severn had got into some hot water last week based on their release of Opera. Somebody went and posted these really awful cell phone pictures on the Blu ray dot com forums, and based on that, the world caught on fire and everybody started to riot. Severn is working on a replacement disc. The long story short, it looks like the HDR color space did not get checked properly when they were authoring the disc, and they are re authoring a brand new disc, and then they're going to be sending those replacements. It is going to come to you. You don't need to contact customer service. If you bought it, you will be getting one. No matter what, they're doing the right thing. This is something that should be applauded. They found the mistake, they found the air, they fixed it quickly. You're getting a replacement for free. It's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Severn is another one of these ones to me, kind of like vinegar syndrome that I just feel like they just seem to have money. I don't know if they have a cash infusion and I don't know, or maybe they're just selling well, but like they're getting bigger titles, and it's the right people to be getting this bigger titles, right Like they're Yeah, they're passionate about the work, So I mean, this kind of stuff is gonna happen. But their response is better than Arrows.
Speaker 2: I can't argue with that. Yeah, Arrows was god awful. Got justin Liberty was just telling me that he still hasn't got his replacement for the Coffin.
Speaker 1: Joe said, no, I haven't got man yet either.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, that's not good. Next up, One on one Films in the UK is releasing The Sword and the Sourcerer on October seventh. This is probably the exact same four K disc that was released by Screen Factory. There is going to be a bunch of extras on this. I believe they are all the same from the Screen Factory release, and then you've got the poster and the art cards and all that fun stuff, plus a booklet. Just looks like a really solid If you are a big fan of this movie, I would check it out. If you're in the US, you might want the Screen Factory one. In the UK, this looks like a great choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like One on One is somebody that needs I hope to please if someone from One on one is I don't mean this in an offensive way, but I feel like they need an adult in the room. Like the work they do is so good, but it's like they don't release titles consistently and they're kind of all over the place. I don't know if they have a I don't know, like I like I like the company a lot, but I just can't seem to get a hold of like keeping track of what they're putting out or what's their vibe or I don't know, but but I love them. I mean this, you know, I'll probably get this one because I didn't get Screen Factory one.
Speaker 2: One on one has got some huge titles over the last year. I do got to be honest, just like christ you just said if something's not right, I will say it. One on one has botched too many releases for me to trust. I think for a while. Okay, they they did the Johnny Namonic release that looked worse than the DVD. They've got aspect ratio and framing issues on another release that just happened got about two months ago. They've had some other Their four k's are not encoded super well either. But I don't know. I've still got faith. They've put a handful of great titles that I love, and yeah, one on one films, I'd love to see them come back. Fear City, That's the title I was trying to think of next. Shout STUDIOSS just launched their Shout Select ticket saving sale. This is going on until August fifteenth at midnight Pacific, And this is one of those Shout sales that's actually a sale, like there are great titles here that are less than ten dollars. If you are missing Shout Select titles, go check out the sale. This is probably some of the best prices that you're gonna see on most of these titles. Some of them are on sale for the first time ever. I listed some of those in the post here it is. It is worth checking out they. I don't know. I wish they priced all of their sales like this sale.
Speaker 1: The Wizard is something that everybody should own. I think I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: Of the other They did the four K release of Clue, They've done the abb Ab and Castello box sets.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but this is only the shouts Select. Right, was that a shout Select?
Speaker 2: It was? Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh cool? Okay, yeah, I own a handful of stuff from them. They're trying to get. That's the one that has like the kind of like criterion or style with it, the spines.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean it's got a number, that's about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, oh, Glenn Glay again Ross, Oh, the Sunny Chibo one, that's a good one. And Jackie Chanlin. Those are the ones I have from them.
Speaker 2: They've done a lot of great, great sales. Clue is twenty five dollars when it was twenty dollars last time. Yeah, so don't don't buy Clue four K yet, jeez. Although in that last sale it's sold out in like an hour, so it's a good honey. Here is another big deal. Grindhouse Releasing finally put up for sale Hollywood nine Double two eight from nineteen seventy three. This is one that they announced I don't even know four years ago something like that, that they've been working on it, and this is finally here. It is a pre order, so it's not shipping right now. It will be shipping in October. But as usual, Grindhouse Releasing absolutely overloads their discs, so this happen so much on it. It's a four K restoration. It will not be released on UHG, so you don't need to worry about that. There's in depth interviews with christ Augustein from the film, Janette Dilger, Gale Davis, the editor, audio commentaries on this. There's alternate scenes from the original X rated version, an experimental sixteen milimeters short film by the director Christina Hornisher out takes Galleries, liner notes, a bonus CD with the original soundtrack, album, and other surprises. Grindhouse still does like East Riggs on all their discs. This is This is probably gonna be a really great disc if you're excited about this film.
Speaker 1: What's the drying A blank? I can't What's Who's the guy that runs grind does?
Speaker 2: Uh? It is the guy that works with Sam Raimi. What is his name? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyways, so has anybody have any of like, have you or any of the other podcasts ever spoken to him?
Speaker 2: No, he's never available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's one of the big gets. He's harder to reach the Criterion almost but.
Speaker 2: Well, at least he might say yes if you ever got in touch with him. Criterion will not. Nope. All right. Next up, this was just announced today inside out to We'll be getting a four K release, but only if you buy this steel book. It will not be getting a standalone four K release. This is coming out on September tenth, so pretty quickly. Considering this was such a huge hit for Pixar, that's kind of kind of fast for them. This will also have a standard Blu ray and a DVD. There's no word on if this will be a Walmart exclusive steel book, however, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a wide release. The I think the last one was called The Rise of the Planet of the Apes. That one was Disney title or Fox title and it was released widely. So hopefully this is this is out there and available for everybody. The Walmart exclusive stuff kind of sucks. I do think the Steel Book looks nice and I love this movie, so I do hope to get this on four K.
Speaker 1: How was it compared to the first Inside Out?
Speaker 2: I think it's just a tiny notch below, but it's almost more impressive from a psychological standpoint, because there's more complex emotions displayed, and they do a really great job of explaining them in a way that like for my kids, they're the perfect age to watch the and understand and use that as a visual reference. And we've already referred to it in talking with our kids. So love it, love it, Brendan says. Does Criterion think they're too good for Ryan? How lame? Criterion will not let any of their employees interview for anything. It's wild. Next up is Twilight of the Warriors Walled in. This is starting to be in theaters tomorrow, but you can already pre order this on four K and Blu Ray, releasing on November nineteenth from Wellgo USA. This is supposedly really great. Samo Hung is in this, and I'm excited to see this one. This one is right up my alley for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the trailer for this?
Speaker 2: I have, and Samo looks wild.
Speaker 1: This trailer is amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm very eager to see this movie.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. This will be a day one. If it's in the theaters all I'll get a babysitter if I have to, like, I'll go. This will be one of the three that I watched this year. If it comes to Austin, I hope it does.
Speaker 2: It has to, I mean Austin gets I would say most probably right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we it was a good chance. I just the trailer just like blew Me Away. It's just like right, I want three hours of that.
Speaker 2: I get it. Some left here kinds of kindness. This is coming out on Blu ray and DVD on October eighth. This is a Fox search Light title, so this will not be coming to UHD. I know a lot of people are pissed off about that. We got a couple of deleted scenes in this and then some featurettes behind the scenes type of stuff coming on this one. This is Emma Stone. This is the Yorgos Lanthemos title, Emmastone, Jesse Plemmons, Willem Dafoe, Margaret Qually, Hong Chow, Hunter Schaeffer, lots of big names and this is supposed to be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. I think I want to go backwards and see I've never seen any Yurgos film except for Poor Things, so wow, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like you would that that should almost be the next They Live by film director to go through. That'd be a really interesting one. Huh. All right? Yeah this this, Uh, this looks like a good release. I'll definitely be getting this one. Old Gold Media in the UK is releasing Widows the Complete Series. Uh. This is coming on September ninth. I believe this is a British show that I've never seen, never heard of, also includes the sequel series She's Out. It's a gritty crime series with strong female lead characters. And I know when I see this cover art, I think gritty crime.
Speaker 1: Series, British names. Get down, man, they're gonna.
Speaker 2: They're gonna those crimes. Uh wow, Simmonar says, uh kind of kindness is my favorite the year so far. Oh, Widows. Wasn't there a US film released just a few years ago called Widows two? Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yes, Oh surely was.
Speaker 2: I think Steve McQueen was the director or somebody like that. I think, oh, there you go. This is the basis for the Steve McQueen field, great timing, Simner.
Speaker 1: So Mafia and Mama Goold.
Speaker 2: Oh then oh perfect, all right, okay Yeah. Rian today announced a forty film box set coming on November nineteenth. This will be a forty nine disc Blu ray box set. If you want to see the full list of titles, it's up on the Criteria the website. However, just a handful of titles so that you could get the idea of what they are. It's got eight and a half, It's got Tokyo Story, all that jazz, bicycle, thieves, ripo men, naked being there, ye yee night, the Hunter, pick Pocket, do the right thing. Those types of titles like these are the ones that are picked the most in the Criterion Closet videos. Supposedly so Chris, you very famously made a Reddit post about this today. How do you feel about this box set?
Speaker 1: Look, I want to separate something. The movies in this box set are some of my favorite movies of all time. My banner on letterbox is eight and a half. Like I love Criterion, I love these movies a lot, and I'm a homer for them. I write a weekly, well almost weekly series where I'm going through Criterion by Spye number on Reddit, and I'm up to like one hundred and forty. Like I love Criterion. This is ridiculous. This is so dumb, and like I know people love it, and there's a it's it's fascinating reading the comments when I may a stupid meme about it, just basically talking about how there's no theme that connects it. It's just like, here's forty random movies that like we have in our collection that we've there are better releases of each one of these movies. Anybody that likes Criterion probably already owns.
Speaker 2: Them at least at least half of them.
Speaker 1: Or yeah yeah yea and not not yeah, sure, at least some portion of them. And it's six hundred and forty bucks. MSRP is eight hundred, so on sale, it's going to be four hundred bucks for forty random movies. I just what the hell were they thinking? Like, what is this?
Speaker 2: I agree? I agree fully, I what's the best way to say this? This is a box set that I imagine they don't think most people will purchase. I bet they plan on selling less than two copies of this, which for Criterion, that's terrible. Numbers, absolutely terrible numbers. This this absolutely is a perfect box set if you're a brand new to Criterion, if you're brand new to physical media, if you're just getting into art house cinema. However, most of those people just getting into those things don't have six hundred and forty dollars lying around to purchase this. What's crazy to me. This has forty films in it. The Bergmann box set has thirty nine, so one less film, and this set costs more than twice what the Bergman set costs. That's a good point. Granted, the Bergman set is an insane value. I'm not taking that away. I'm not saying everything should be that cheap. However, this is this is pretty insane. I really hope this is not the only thing they're doing to celebrate their fortieth anniversary, because I don't think I said that this is to celebrate their forty fe the anniversary. I don't know. I like that they're I like that they're doing something, but I feel like they could have done so much more. So, Chris, I'm gonna take this off the screen for a moment. What would you and a couple ideas maybe, what would you have rather Criterion done to celebrate their fortieth anniversary than this massive frickin' box set, and.
Speaker 1: I look, I don't want to. I see some comments of people like, look, if you want to own this and you don't already own these movies, and like you can wait till the sale and you get movies for forty movies for ten bucks a pop, Like sure, why, I guess right, Like I get it. I just don't understand the business decision behind doing something like this. It's just I don't like the hardcore Criterion fans are not gonna they might get excited about it, but they're not gonna buy it. So it's just like, so who's it for? That's my main my main point, right right, Yeah, that's that's a that's a great point, too, manable, Okay, so what what should I mean the answer is Curisawa, right, Like, yeah, it's the obvious, like figure out Cursawa and put it out, or I mean, because they already did Fellini, they already did Bergmann and so finish like the big directors, you could do Otsu. I guess you could do forty movies from Otsu and still only cover like half of what he put out, but still you could make some good progress on on Otsu. Yeah, good Dard, exactly, good Dard Curasawa, Like that's I think that's what you do, right, Like that this just or or you say like starting in uh, you know some year, like we're going to release the best movie in forty years, or like you know something, but like this just doesn't make any sense. The logic behind it was just people went into the Criterion closet and picked this movie, so let's make a box set out of it.
Speaker 2: Like what to interrupt the ranting for a second, KB says they made a Greatest Hits compilation. Music fans never complain about those. I will counter that and say, literally almost every Greatest Hits compilation and the history of music has like two bonus tracks that that's the only place that you can purchase them. Do that to us put two films in this box set that can't be purchased on their own, or give us ten four K upgrades in the box set that are already in there, and announced, Hey, these will come out on their own over the next three years, but if you want them now, you can get them in this box set. People would have jumped all over that people would have been praising this like crazy, there's no reason to get this if you even have I don't know, like what's the value proposition here? So this will be on sale if they do this half off, which they probably will, it'll be four hundred dollars. If they do that, that means that you're paying the equal price of twenty different films. So if you have twenty films in this box set already, this is a crapshoot. You're gonna be duplicating those. You could sell those potentially. However, if you had like ten of these, that's a lot more appealing if you really wanted all of them. But that's all I'm gonna say is there's lots of ways that they're gonna make this work for people that already had them.
Speaker 1: The last thing what makes me nervous erro Video got bought out by the Hut and they started putting out repackaging of films they already had in the rights to in little fancy packages so that people would read buy the same movies. And Criterion just got bought out and this is the first major announcement, and it's just like a little bit of PTSD around like this is a decision that feels like it's made by a VC and not by somebody who loves movies.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. It's a good point. So yeah, the obvious answer is Krosawa guitar something like that. The other side, I'll say, you know, you could have gone big in November instead of like your normal four titles, give us like a ten title month every week, released two brand new to the collection four K titles or something like that. That could have been huge. One thing that they could have done they could have announced some bundles. They could have done like all of the single releases from I don't know, Wes Anderson, and you can get a discounted price on their website. I would have loved to see them release some of their most lauded art as posters or shirts, because they never do that. I can't imagine, like, if you release the Godzilla set cover art as a poster tomorrow, you would sell five thousand copies of this day one probably I would be all about that. Life to me, Like, I've seen a lot of people, including Stan right now, calling this a money grab. Chris and I joked about this earlier. I feel like this is an anti money grab. I feel like this is the set to not get people to purchase it. This is like something I don't know that they're they're trying to see how many people won't buy it.
Speaker 1: No, you don't get the booklets, Brandon, you don't get the book. You get it. There is a booklet that comes with it, but you don't.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a book.
Speaker 1: A book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. And we don't know if that includes all of the same essays that were in all the single releases yet yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's possible. Again, if if that's what they do, then you know for sure this was a decision made in an Excel sheet, not out of passion. If they just reprint the essays and make it like bind it in a book, it's like, come on, y'all.
Speaker 2: It does say deluxe packaging with a lavishly illustrated two hundred and sixteen page book featuring essays on the films by critics, scholars, and authors. So they're all probably just re cycled into that book.
Speaker 1: Again. Amazing amazing movies, world changing movies.
Speaker 2: They're incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the hell are they doing?
Speaker 2: That's not the that's not the issue. The movies are great. It's a yeah, this this feels weird again, Like I've seen people say this before all day today, all this is the holiday gift to give someone who loves movies but streams and you have a lot of money. That last part on sale in November. This is four hundred dollars on a regular Tuesday in August, six hundred and forty dollars. That's not a gift price for ninety nine point eight percent of Americans.
Speaker 1: Was I on with you when we were doing Currosawa math.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but I'm dying to hear what that means now, No.
Speaker 1: Because we're I was trying to figure out I thought it was here, but anyways, I was trying to figure out there's twenty five Kiroslawa films. You could say, you could argue for twenty seven depending on how you break it up. And if they were to do that twenty dollars a pop, you're already at you know, you're over four hundred bucks, right, ye, So it would be tough to put out a cur Sauicet in four K like New Transfers beautiful Edition. I would buy it like a four hundred dollars Cursauicet I would buy like I own.
Speaker 2: Don't tell them that though. Price it at cheaper please, but.
Speaker 1: Like there at least there's, you know, or something that I can wrap my head around, like okay, this is like a thing like okay for KB, I'm not arguing with you. I get it to Criterion starter kit. But there's no Cursaala, there's no Fastbender. I think there's no Gadard. There may be one Goodard movie, but like it's not really a Criterion starter kit either.
Speaker 2: There's no Chaplain, there's no Wes Anderson, there's none of these major directors that they do a lot for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just forty random movies that like people that have gone in the Criterion clauset picked up and we're like I love this one. No Lynch, No damn pope po Right. My favorite comment in the the reddit post was no Armageddon, question Mark, no Bay, no.
Speaker 2: Pay pretty good, Nope, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not exactly a Criterion starter kit, sol though that's the big one. Yeah, yeah, they chickened out.
Speaker 2: Like I agree, it's it's like a starter kit for for art house titles. However, it doesn't it doesn't jive with the idea of celebrating an anniversary for this company either.
Speaker 1: Oh jellyfish Eyes.
Speaker 2: I mean god, what else is there to say? Like this is this is crazy? Oh that would have been cool. Maybe they should have included all the films that have never been selected in the Criterion closet. Honestly, that's more interesting. People probably have purchased those less Sure.
Speaker 1: It is beautiful art though, Like it's a pretty looking bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean again, like, if I only had five of these, I would be stoked on this. I'd go sell those five and absolutely pick this up. That would be a no brainer. I I don't know. I could rant on this for the next hour, but that's not it for today. We got some other ones. Let's keep going. Hey, Kevin was in the chat. Not sure if he's still here, but the Almost Major podcast has also joined the Someone's Favorite Production Podcast network. If you've never subscribed Almost Major, they are an incredible podcast that I've fallen in love with over this last year. They are dedicated to the many major studios and the films that they've released. You can find great discussions on films like Critters. Critters include Spaghetti who's in the chat. Quite often they do an episode on Harson alone in the Dark, but I'm a cheerleader tons more with some great guests like Mitchell bout Ray, Scott Tafoya, Dan Mecha, Katie Rife, and lots of other names that you'll recognize. There's Kevin almost major is I don't know, one of my favorites. Please go check them out. I can't wait till the day that I get to be on this podcast because I love the guys that do this, such fun commentators up there with they Live by Film as two of my favorite podcasts on film overall.
Speaker 1: No, you don't have to say that they do better work than we do, y'all. That's a fantastic podcast, but it's true they do the same network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's also some other changes coming to the network in the next couple of weeks. We will keep talking about them because there's some big things coming, I promise. Moving to our next one, how the Grint Stole Christmas? Yes, that one. The Boris Karloff title. This is coming on four K on October twenty ninth. You can pre order this now. This is wild, this is crazy, this is coming. I love this. I hope it looks great.
Speaker 1: Another childhood favorite. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie.
Speaker 2: And you'll get to see it in four K. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: All right. We got a bunch of Keynote stuff to discuss now. First October twenty ninth, they're releasing Buster Keaton's Seven Chances and Sherlock Junior. This is going to have audio commentaries and then some shorts on here as well. I believe these are the same films that were released previously through a Cohen Media release, and I don't see any difference here, so maybe just the rights laps and Keno Classics is now releasing them.
Speaker 1: Just going with the theme of tonight. I think four Chances and five Chances is hilarious. I've never made it up to seven chances, but I've heard.
Speaker 2: This is good. After so many chances, I just had to give up. Oh that was a pretty good callback. Next is The Falling Star, coming from Keno on October fifteenth. This will have a trailer on it. This one seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews at some film festivals, including Tell You Ride You Just See This looks nice.
Speaker 1: I love the conversation going on about the Brench here in the chat. Stan has one typo in four years of being a listening.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to spend too much time on this one, but that movie The Fairy sounds super familiar. Is that an action movie?
Speaker 2: Fairy?
Speaker 1: That movie sounds very familiar. I won't take up too much airtime with.
Speaker 2: This, but oh slapstick and burlesque. Now that you say that, I feel like I do remember hearing about the Fairy.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, no, no, no, it's a romance fun anyways, Steve, I've wanted to who I've heard of these directors, Abell and Gordon. These are French folks. Yep, I swear there's something over there's Oh yeah, this one that I don't know how to say it in English, The Falling Star.
Speaker 2: The one on the screen right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What was where did this play? Oh shit? I'm sorry, my mind's all over the place. But this was like at a festival, like a online film festival or something that I I the last minute. I didn't get to see it, but I remember this is supposed to be very like funny and cute and kind of like almost like an amally feeling type of comedy from this Abel and Gordon folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one looks great, certainly into it. Next one is a Mary Start Mary I can't say your last name, Mary Steenbergen film from nineteen eighty three called Cross Creek. This is coming on blue ray on October fifteenth. I also have a ripped torn in this one. We get an audio commentary by Julie Kergo and Peter Hancoff look back with Mary Steinbergen in this one as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see cover like this and I immediately glaze over. I didn't hear anything you just said in the last sixty seconds. I think these movies are not for me. I was reading the chat. I just can't do it. These like kind of I don't even know what these are called, these like period piece kind of dramas, Like I don't know, but maybe this is wonderful movie, and if it is wonderful, I want to know if I should see it before Zodiac.
Speaker 2: No, you do not need to see this before Zodiac because as far as I'm as far as I'm aware, Mary Steinbergen is not the killer Man. Some of these comments are pretty great. Next title is Garbo Talks from nineteen eighty four, starring and Bancroft. This is gonna have an audio commentary Howard as Berger and Steve Mitchell. This one also stars Ron Silver and Carrie Fisher, but the big name directed by Sidney Limett.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think this would actually be a pretty good match. Sidney Lamett talking about Carbo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm interested in this one. This is very under the radar for Lumet for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Brandon, Normally I would say I would sign up for that, but that means I have to watch like hours and hours of anime, which I can't agree to.
Speaker 2: Plus forty Criterion films. Again, well I've.
Speaker 1: Seen most of those probably, but oh Stan, it's okay, okay, all right, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Next up is The Boy in the Woods from twenty twenty three, coming from Keno on October fifteenth. This tells the remarkable true story of Max, a Jewish boy escaping Nazi persecution in Eastern Europe. After he's separated from his family, Mac finds refuge with Christian peasant Jasco, who hides him in plain sight until a Temps stand off with Nazi police. Afraid for his own family's life. He sends Max to live in the woods, where he learns to survive alone with echoes of a grim's fairy tale. Max's experience is both terrifying and magical.
Speaker 1: This movie came out last year. Yes, do we need another World War two story?
Speaker 2: You know? I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like I feel like a lot of the best stories have been told. What's new about this? Was he persecuted? Was he a Jewish kid?
Speaker 2: Actual magic? Chris?
Speaker 1: I don't know. This is going to be lowdown on the list.
Speaker 2: I can't fault you there. Next up is the throwback for this is going to get the award for the most like weird cover art of the night for me. This is Will Sasso and Bobby Lee co starring with just Tina Machado who is from Six Feet Under. Uh. This is coming on October twenty second on Blu Ray and Uh, I don't know how to feel about this cover art, especially with this super awkward Bobby Lee in the corner.
Speaker 1: But that whole bottom image is.
Speaker 2: Dare pretty wild. I'm not sorry.
Speaker 1: Uh No, go ahead, didn't those don't those two guys have a podcast together? Bobby Lee pops up on my YouTube feed all the time and I never watch him, but they try to force his podcast on me.
Speaker 2: This does scream late nineties posters design. It's pretty bad. Dan.
Speaker 1: I do not have a problem with Jews, but I do have a problem with the same story being told one hundred different times. Like, let me guess it's a he's a good person, he's a good kid, like he's being treated poorly by the Germans. I don't know. I just like I've seen the story before, Like, what's new about it?
Speaker 2: Next up? Uh, October twenty second Meryl Streep in Plenty from nineteen eighty five. This is gonna have an audio commentary by Julie Krugo and Peter Hancoff again conversation with the director and this one he is a pretty underseen Meryl Streep. Glad this is coming out.
Speaker 1: Also kind of a weird cover.
Speaker 2: Very odd cover. Yeah, but I will check it out.
Speaker 1: She would settle for nothing less, she's huh, Meryl Streep in Plenty. She would settle for nothing less, nothing less than.
Speaker 2: Wet than plenty.
Speaker 1: Chris, Yeah, litasers.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's a World War two movie.
Speaker 1: No, no World War two movies made in the I don't even this one looks like seventies or eighties. Fine, there's still fresh stories now. I'm just saying, in twenty twenty three, are there really new stories coming out that we haven't heard before? Ah? This is the night I get deemed her.
Speaker 2: Well, it all finally caught up with you.
Speaker 1: Bring them all in.
Speaker 2: I love Jews all right. Next title Fluke. This is our last title Fluke from nineteen ninety five, getting a Blu Ray release on October twenty second from Keno. This is a wild story, so, this says Fluke is a heartwarming and uplifting tale of puppy reincarnation, directed by Carlo Carlai, starring Matthew Modine, Nancy Travis, Eric Stoltz, and the Dogs from Full House and Homeward Bound two. This says newborn puppy Fluke, waking up on his very first morning, discovers a wondrous world of excitement and fun, whether romping with his brothers and sisters or curling up by his mother for a nat. Fluke is a contended as any young pooch can be. But when recurring dreams in a series of mishaps trigger memories of a very different world, he slowly realizes that he wants at a very different life as a man convinced of his previous identity, Fluke said, out on an extraordinary journey that leads him back to his human family. Holy shit, what is this story?
Speaker 1: Now? This I can get behind. If they said this in World War Two, I'm in.
Speaker 2: I yeah. I don't even know what to say about this one. Uh yes. We got an audio commentary on this with the director in an interview with the director.
Speaker 1: What year did this movie come out? I'm trying to this is a nineteen I do. I do like the era where they thought that, like these kind of projects were getting greenlit, Like can you imagine pitching this and the and the producers being like yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh man. All right. That is our last announcement for the night. As usual, we will cover everything that's coming out next Tuesday, just in case you forgot, And next Tuesday is kind of a big one. You got furiosa Man Max Saga coming in four K, The Last Emperor four K from Criterion. That really awkward when Titans ruled the Earth box set from Arrow, The Bike Rider's four K Game Night four K, That crazy twenty Disc three Stooges collection Scooby Doo and what is this one? The Witches Ghosts Scooby Doo in the Alien Evators from Warner Archive. Delta Force four K from shouts If four K, Bob, what is the way that we said this on the show before? And I don't remember the joke, Bob Laflamber four K ladowlos Well, I don't remember we were screwing with these when we actually announced it. Keino putting both of those out. Next up is Mirror Mirror four K from Dark Force, Black Mass four K, Chucky Season three Northwest passage from Warner Archive. That Dick Tracy Rko collection from VCI looks pretty decent. Just Mercy four K, The Bat Whispers, the People's Joker from Altered Innocence. Hopefully I can finally get that one in. I've been dying to see that one. Navajo Joe reprint from Keno harrim scare a Mourner Archive. Observing Report from Shout Select, which by the way, is thirty dollars for observant report. When that's been like a dollar bin title for so very very long.
Speaker 1: That's wild. It's like Paul Blarke coming out at thirty bucks.
Speaker 2: Except Observant Report is a much much better movie than Paul Blart. Okay, Idiot's Delight from Warner Archive. The Brief Encounters and a Long Farewell from Criterion, Maria True Story from Warner Archive, War of the Buttons from Warner Archive. Stars Fell On Henrietta from Warner Archive. Ninety nine River Street from Keno some standard standard edition releases June zero from Cohen Media. And that's about it. Any of these that you got in or about to get in that you're excited about there.
Speaker 1: Sir, definitely people's joker for sure. I can't wait to see that. I'll actually probably pick up Furiosa. That movie was great.
Speaker 2: I've not seen it. I definitely want to check that one out myself.
Speaker 1: I can't stop laughing at Dan's comments, like you like Game Night a lot, right?
Speaker 2: I adore Game Night. I think Game Night is maybe the best comedy of the last I don't know, fifteen years, probably Dang.
Speaker 1: Does it have dogs coming back as or people coming back as dogs?
Speaker 2: It does not, because it's not nineteen ninety five, and we just don't make movies like that anymore. Shame all right, Now it is time to get into the main event of the night, which is our discussion on overlooked labels, and funny enough, most of mine have been mentioned at some point in the show tonight, I think. So it's just gonna be like hammering home how this happens. We'll go back and forth on some labels, and when we discuss these, we're gonna give people some of our titles that we suggest, We're gonna give some like hints on best way to get these, just random thoughts. If you have any thoughts on these or recommendations for everybody else on the chat, let us know, let us know what you think. And then also at the end, any of the labels that you think get overlooked. There was a handful of these, Like I didn't pick any partner labels from Ocanna. I feel like they get enough attention, But there are a couple that I would say, month to month, they just sort of get overlooked as I don't know something that hey, they're putting one out. I'll get them eventually, and then people just forget that they exist. Like I don't know, fun City almost kind of deserves to be on this list. Nowadays. I feel like a lot of people forget. They're still doing amazing stuff. But anyways, what is your first label? Sorry?
Speaker 1: I want to make I don't know if Dan did this on purpose, but so you know, eighty eight is like the code where for Nazis, and I have a theory that I was a little bit nervous to buy idiot films for that reason. So I don't know if you did that on purpose, dam but well played.
Speaker 2: If you did, that is exactly why he did it.
Speaker 1: Oh I did.
Speaker 2: Shit?
Speaker 1: Okay, wait did you Brendan? Did you read my mind? At Barblos? So there is a ten five to ten minute discussion with I E. I I from Arblows that we did where he just talks about like how much thought goes into the packaging. So they actually go through and think of like like what they love the movie obviously, and they think about like what the movie would feel like and look like, and like, uh, just what the cover should be and they choose different style of paper. Uh, It's it's crazy like this. This is a truly everything they do and they only do two or three a year, so everything is extremely curated, a ton of love, and I'm just such a fan of them as people obviously they're the you know, but I don't always forget the guys named Jonathan.
Speaker 2: And David.
Speaker 1: David Marriott is also the guy that does Canadian International, so this is more of like a passion project for him. It's him and I that do Arbos. There's a tie from Deaf Crocodile, a little bit where the Deaf Crocodile guys spun off and they were working together under Arbolos for a while. Just just good people doing good work and movies that I like a lot of Belatar speaking of something familier. Yeah, no, I agree, that's I think they're They're the one i'd like to highlight. And actually there's two movies I want to highlight specifically from them. So this one is called Chameleon Street. Please please please watch and buy Chamellion Masterpiece.
Speaker 2: Chamelion Street is amazing, right, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, it's I don't know how it doesn't get more love in the like boutique community, right, Eric, I can't argue with the logic on that. I mean, yeah, totally, I get it. If the movies are great, regardless of the packaging. I just love the love and care that goes into it. And this is also a movie. Life is cheap, but toilet paper is expensive. This is a sneaky one of these festival films that came out and didn't get a lot of love. But this is just to show the So it's a Wayne Wang film. And you know, in China, for like good Luck at New Year's they have you get people packets with money in it, so they included it and just kind of like a you know, part of the culture. Anyways, I don't know. I love Arbolos.
Speaker 2: Arbelows is great. This is where I'm gonna sound like a dirty name dropper right now, and I apologize in advance. But I spent a good almost two hours last week with David Marriott from Arbelos and Canadian International and just gave me so much respect for what they do, both Canadian International and Arbelos. If you order Arbelos, he is literally like bundling up these titles himself and taking them to the post office. It is such a small operation. He is working on so much all at once, and the amount of I don't know, unsung aspects of these smaller labels is perfectly encapsulated in the in Arblos. I mean there are titles that a lot of people have never heard of, but if you take a chance, they're like amazing movies. They don't go on sell all that often, but when they do, buy as many as you can because it's great to support them. It's great stuff, great great packaging, every time, great releases, good special features. Very happy with Arbelows.
Speaker 1: I actually think Dan has a good point. Do you want to spend thirty seconds talking.
Speaker 2: About are.
Speaker 1: What's the word?
Speaker 2: Our way?
Speaker 1: Our criteria here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our our qualifications? What did you think about when you were trying to list this?
Speaker 1: So in my mind it's clear. But there are certain labels that are like coming up to where people just instinctively go once a month or follow their announcements, Like Severn's not once a month, but like everybody goes to Severn for the sale and at least twice a year if not pre orders or stuff. Vinegar Syndrome everybody goes. They know about it. Obviously, Criteria Arrow is a big one. There's these kind of like major labels that are there, and I think, what's even though I mean obviously I've been promoting a vinegar Syndrome podcast all night. I love them. They are cannibalizing the industry a little bit, and there is a bit of attention there because and he's like Arblos. The first thought is like, well they should be a partner label, but like that's not cool, like not everybody should just be funneled in under you know, one of these other big labels. So yeah, that's that's the criteria. In my mind. It is like websites that people wouldn't naturally navigate to once a month or on sales or whatever.
Speaker 2: The way that I looked at this was pretty much every one of these companies put out titles that I have heard people say, I've wanted this film on Blu Ray forever and then I've responded say, well X company put it out two years ago and it's still in print. Here's a link, and they go, oh shit, no way, I would love that. I'm gonna buy it right now, Like how do we not know about that? With vinegar syndrome titles, people don't forget. With Shout Factory titles, people know because they've released them three times. With Severn titles, like their announcements are an event. Yeah it's a big deal. And so, like simonar says, is Ocilloscope Unsung absolutely. I mean, speaking of this is I just got this in my subscription as an Indigo Girls documentary. I'm stoked on watching this. However, how many people know that this is even coming out? How many people have heard of this? How many people have heard the word oscilloscope and went, that's a boutique Blu ray company. Not many? So yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna use that criteria and a couple of these might be a little bit odd for some people because I've seen Chris's list and I wanted to get some that I think fall under this. But a couple of these are gonna feel kind of big, like my first one, and I just dropped a film for the next one, so I'll pick that up after my first one. We talked about earlier. This is BFI. BFI is putting out seven Samurai. They have so much other stuff that they released that people have never checked out. So like, BFI released Targets just like Criterion did, and this release of Targets is oh much better than the Criterion release of Targets. It's got a whole bunch of short films on here. It is I believe, no, it's a single film or a single disc release, but it's got a long, long booklet on the inside. This was I believe, cheaper than the Criterion release. Usually it like this outshines everything about the Criterion release, So I love this one. Some examples of some stuff that they've done that I've loved their flip side releases. So this is the short Shark Shocks. These are basically shorts that are horror or cult ish type type of titles and they're special features on here, and there's there's nine or ten different titles on here and tons of special features. So on top of all that, two discs long booklet, Like I don't know, this is not something that Criterion would normally do, but they're like the Criterion of the UK kind of this is this thirty seven pages long, this is here, so I love that. And then they also get some bigger releases for films that maybe some people have heard of, but they give it this lavish treatment. So like Lhan, this got this deluxe box set release from them. This is only a blu ray. I think this was done on four K by Criterion or somebody now. But again, thick booklet, nice special features, tons of special features brand new four K restoration, great looking disc, amazing movie, and it's backed by the British government. Like supporting this, you can feel good about supporting film restoration too. You're you're actually giving money to a company that is literally their mission statements about archiving the film of a nation that is the whole point.
Speaker 1: And funding the Queen, which is great.
Speaker 2: It's just we got some comments simonar is saying, is Nova personally I don't. This is where it's tough. I don't even really count Nova Media as a boutique label, even though they kind of are, like they didn't produce the films, but they're literally just licensing studio discs and not doing anything other than putting it in a They're putting like a Honda Civic motor in a Rolls Royce body, and that feels weird. I don't know. Brendan Timmins. The hardest part in this game is having an identity to your releases, the point that people implicitly trust the curation aimen. That is like the most important part of all this. If you want to be a small label and survive, you have to have something that people can count on. Ronnie says, I mean, I'm a lesbian boutique Blu Ray collector and I hadn't even heard of that Indigo Girls doc release. And that's because technically I don't even think it's released yet unless you're a subscriber. Def Crocodile Mando. With the smaller labels that have mastered that aspect fully agreed, especially on Monda Macabre. I agree b if I always does it right, I guess would have been had they not gone under to a point. I also feel like they just did a lot of kind of whatever they could get their rights for. They almost felt like a mill Creek type of label.
Speaker 1: They network for me kind of felt like a twilight time, whereas like they they had their following and if you followed them, like you follow them, you know, pretty religious those Yeah, yeah, but I don't know if they like they're like they didn't their releases weren't popping up on Booty Blu Ray. I don't know if that's the best you know, I get that.
Speaker 2: Uh Terry wants to throw out uh is it pronounced Scala Terry or is it skala? Bfi just released that and it seems like Severn might be working on a release of that. That's not been confirmed, but they've been promoting theatrical plays of that. Check out Goos Stories for Christmas release from BFI. They're great, yes, uh. And then Simmner's pointing out not with everything Noba put out Arrows and that's the only way to get it. Didn't that have a Korean release already?
Speaker 1: You're talking about Arrow's the one car Wie film.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure anyways, what's your next next company?
Speaker 1: So this is a label that you actually turned me on to, so if you were going to okay, sorry, just real quick. There's a short and Arrows called The Hand that's probably my favorite one car white thing. I didn't put it as my number one because it's not a full length film, but like it's amazing anyway, So check that out if y'all can see that. Um, okay, so you turned me on to sell you Lloyd Dreams. Uh and I'm a huge So this to me, I hope fills the void that Fractured Visions wasn't able to fill. Oh like, and maybe he'll come back, like you know, Phil, the only reason he's not doing Fractured just because he got employed full time by Second Site.
Speaker 2: Well you know, they just put out two new titles in the last like six months.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I guess it's just like it's he's just going about it very deliberately, right, And I like he's the best in the UK at special feature creation. I mean top three, right, I mean in terms of just like putting together a disc like the second site stuff is meticulous, right, amazing. Yeah, And so for him, I wanted, like you know, him to be a more prolific label, and I hope that Cellular Dreams fills that gap because they're putting out similar movies. It's like a lot of genre films. It seems like Italian genre. They're starting off. It's a French company, right, so maybe they'll get into more than just Italian stuff. But can't I can't wait. This is a Bruno Nicola. I'm sorry, a Anthony Ascott, but that's not the director's real name. What is the the Case of the Bloody Iris? What's the guy's name? Is gonna drive me crazy if y'all.
Speaker 2: Know Giuliano Carnameo is the director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, going by Anthony, Yeah yeah Carnameo. Thank you, But you said your words were the most one of the most beautiful four K transfers you've ever seen. Yes, so let's celebrate Celluloid Dreams.
Speaker 2: Celluloid Dreams is uh exciting. That's the way I'm gonna say it. They are definitely exciting. The about page on their website right now says, since the inception of Celluloid Dreams in early twenty twenty three by Lucas Hankel, we have been hand picking underserved movies we cherish so we can allow more viewers to experience these films in the best possible quality. We give these films the respect, love and care they deserve, with brand new transfer and restorations to ensure they do not only match today's home video standards, but to help preserve them for future viewers and help rescue them from potential deterioration and obscurity, which they absolutely did with this first title. Now, unfortunately, that's the only title they've put out, so there's not a lot that we can rave about. They have announced that Black Belly the Transla is going to be coming out as well. However, we don't even know what their second title is going to be. That one is being worked on currently. Black Belly came back and they were not happy with the restoration. That is going to be I believe the third or fourth title now, So we shall see what comes out soon. Hopefully we hear word soon because I know they're working on special features because I got somebody to work on the disc for them. Yeah, these are looking really great. My next one again was mentioned earlier a couple times, and I really got to throw out some love for many aspects of this film. But I'm gonna trash all over the cover art because we always do this when we bring this up. Cohen Media Group. The love the label hate the Giant Sea. Let's get rid of the sea Cohen. Let's do something different about that. They're usually this Silver Sea or this Red Sea. And so I've got these two titles here. The first is The Old Dark House. This movie's amazing. If you've never seen it, check out The Old Dark House. And that's really what I wanted to go off of. They pretty much only release great films. Yeah, like literally everything they do is just fantastic. The Old Dark House is a really great disc. And then this next one, Women Make Film. I think this is two discs. Oh gosh, no, it's three. I never got to the third disc There is so much in this it is crazy to think about. This has eight hundred and forty minutes of content in these that are the actual films that they're trying to promote. They do so much incredible work. I really hope people check out con Media. Obviously, they're a partner label of Keno, and a lot of people overlook that when you go to a Keno sale you can get these for literally like nine nine. Yeah, there's so much work that goes into the to these discs. To get them for ten dollars is astonishing. They have some major directors. They've done Jakravett, They've done Buster Keaton titles, they've done oh gosh, there's one more director that I wanted to bring up, and I totally forgot media.
Speaker 1: But they they kind of like, there's a label, this is a great I don't know if you did this on purpose, but this is a great partner to one of the ones I want to bring up in a minute, because Cohen is one of the few labels that's really focusing on like old Hollywood and like, yes, really truly like amazing movies that from from kind of any era. I guess, yes, yeah, I can't paste links in here? Is that? Which is fine? I was going to paste a link to their story or just for people to scran through and kind of get a sense of what Cohen Media. Yeah, is there a reason I can't post links though? Is it like a restriction on.
Speaker 2: The I think YouTube does not allow anybody to do it.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 2: Okay, unless it's the host.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, then it was gonna be a link to my only fans.
Speaker 2: Page, but we'll put that in the chat later.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Cohen's great, they want and they've been around for a long time, too.
Speaker 2: Long time, And Okay, I wasn't gonna bring this up, but since we talked about like syncing up on some of these and being partnered on some of these, there's a rumor that the person that owns Coen Media Group is the guy that bought Crezone in the UK, and that's the reason we've been getting these massive director's box sets, because he saw this vision for this in the UK and wanted to put out these lavish special editions. Anybody can track that down and actually substantiate that, Please let me know, send me a link, find a way to be able to put that out. I would love to be able to talk about that in a way that is legitimate, and I don't want to report on it unless I see that that's provable. And I can't get the people from Cohen to answer me.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna go, all right, send their hold tight because I want to get back to what you said. But I do want to shine some light since we're on Cohen, let me go first to Flicker Alley. Ooh, good choice, because when they put their mind and heart into a project, the stuff they do is insane. Like there we always talk about special features on a disc, and they certainly do, you know, featurettes and stuff, but more of their energy. Jeff Messino is a pretty much a one man show. And I mean he has partners that help him. He does partnerships with Lobster whatever it's called Lobster Films, I think, but they own they have a big archive, and he works with all the national archives. But I just want to call out two sets just to give a sense of what he does. So he put out five DVDs of one hundred and seventy three films from George Milay. Like that's crazy, right, Like yeah, you know, people give him a little bit of shit because he's still putting out DVDs. But like, I mean, it doesn't in this case, it doesn't matter if you you know, it truly doesn't matter. Like they're not going to look better on blu ray. I guess they stand a little taller than the blue rays. So that's obnoxious. But like one hundred and seventy three movies that will never other be released otherwise. So and then the other one I want to call out is Julian du Vivier. So he put out a beautiful of Julian da Vivier, who's kind of one of the forefront of like French cinema. Oh cool, that's great, Yeah, yeah, good, good to know. But yeah, it's this is a beautiful release. This is not one hundred and seventy three movies. This is let's see two four six eight nine foot feature length films and a bunch of shorts. And again, I think what Jeff focuses on as opposed to having like I don't even know if he has a single commentary on here, But what he does instead of that is he just puts on more movies and so you know the book that typically gives context, and he has some video essays and some of those things, and some of the There are some films he puts out with commentaries, but it's not so much that he just kind of like he goes all in and puts out these really masterful editions of either a director or a famous actor. There was a I can't remember the name. Now there's a famous actor who's in like, you know, one hundred pirate movies back in the teens, and he has a bunch of his movie I don't know, you just love I love the work Jeff does.
Speaker 2: I just had that name and now it escaped me. That releast looked really good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: I will say for Flicker Alley, one thing that intimidates people is they are a little bit pricey. Sure, their average price is usually about thirty five dollars, and they don't go on sale all that often, and when they do, their sale price is usually like twenty seven twenty eight bucks. However, and I hate to lean on this aspect of like it's a feel good story, but Flicker Alley is also one of those companies that you are you are genuinely funding archiving some of the most important films as the foundation of film history and other places just are not doing it like this, So it's something you can feel good about spending a little bit more and understanding that you're contributing in a positive way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next is a Agen B company that I believe literally everything they've ever released is region free. Even though it says Region B on the back, I think it says Region B. No, it's it says ABC on the back. Even so all of their titles that I have, and I believe everything they've ever released is all unlocked, region free. And I got to talk about another partner label, this one of Aero Video, and that partner is Second Run DVD. Now Second Run DVD. They they released like mostly some really great check films, Check New Wave. They do a lot of European cinema. They have incredible special features on their discs. They they've done a couple of really great box sets. This is one that came out fairly recently. You'll recognize the name on this because he's gotten some love over the last year. So tons of information in here, some great films, lots of special features again on everything, great restorations. But the biggest highlight for me when Arrow sales go up You can purchase Second Run DVD titles from the Aero Video website and they're ten bucks or ten pounds whatever. That's amazing for like a really great, full blown boutique release. Almost all of them have booklets. They all pretty much have like bonus films or bonus shorts, lots of special features. They get very cheap, very quickly, and as far as I'm aware, If somebody knows different, tell me, but I believe their booklets are always available in their releases so you don't have to worry about them selling out, which is a big, big selling point for me. Absolutely love that aspect Second Run and their name is Second Run DVD. They don't just sell DVDs. Obviously, these are all Blu ray, They're all high def, all solid releases. Please check out Second Run. They do not get enough attention. I know that, you know. I post all of the announcements to the Disconnected channel, but still most people that follow this hobby all follow down on the discs down of the disc never promotes anything from Second Run, and it's embarrassing like they are one of the more consistent labels out there and do not ever get enough sales, do not get enough love, and I really hope they stick around for a long time. But because they don't get that attention, they're kind of in danger. Most likely, they're probably not even selling, you know, fifteen hundred copies of most titles within the first two years, and when you can get them for ten pounds during an arrow sale, there's no reason that that should be the case.
Speaker 1: To put that in perspective, Adam from Third Window was saying it takes him about a year and a half to sell a thousand copies of some of his popular ones. Right, So if that's you know, and I mean I think Third Windows in that interesting space. They're certainly not a major but I mean I think people at least are aware of those, and they're beautiful boxes that he puts out and stuff. So you know, if it's who knows how many Second Round putting out, but they're not making a ton of money, it's a great call. Yeah, Okay, so how many more do you want to do? I've got five more, but we could shorten it down to two if you wanted.
Speaker 2: I have four more, all right, great for more?
Speaker 1: So Dan, you read my mind earlier. So I want to call that movie the title I want to highlight is they put out the Kingdom Trilogy from a Buncher, So this is the only thing that I have yet to watch from Vuncher. Running through all of his films was an absolute nightmare emotionally, but he is a master.
Speaker 2: I was hanging on to hear what word you were going to use there.
Speaker 1: But you know, they have like movies in this interesting space where I mean everybody knows movie as a streaming channel. But like they got decision to leave, they have the physical release for that. They got the physical release for Benedetta, for Burgman Island, for After Sun. I mean, they have major festival movies like that's a They're building a brand and their releases are great. I've never had any complaints on quality of transfer or quality of disc or you know, authoring issues or anything. I mean, they know what they're.
Speaker 2: Doing and they're putting out titles in both the UK and the US, which is a big deal for a lot of these companies. Ronnie, Yes, Chris is frozen on video for sure, even though I can hear him just fine. We were able to see titles that they can do more for than Criterion decision to leave their release of decision to leave is better than the Criterion release. Movie. Movie is a great, great company. And beyond that, they do solid special features. They're fairly inexpensive. You can get them in orbit, and then when they come out in the US, there are lots of places that you can get the movie titles. So yeah, Movie is an incredible call out. Thank you for that, Chris.
Speaker 1: And I think people forget that they're kind of the good guys. I mean, they were around, you know, they're They're not like some major corporation. They're just out there trying to promote films.
Speaker 2: So and beyond that, they have their own streaming service, which is one of the better streaming services. It's extremely human curated, none of this algorithm stuff. They have titles that they put up that literally somebody is selecting for them. Oh, there you go. Eric was calling it out right as I said it. Brendan is out. Have a good night. Brendan. Did Criterion put out decision to leave? I believe they did. I didn't misspeak on that, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Let me check.
Speaker 2: I Oh, it's just oh, it's just movie. Oh I'm sorry. I just realized I was thinking of driving my car, not decision to leave.
Speaker 1: I was accused of being racist for the whole episode I have.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was Criterion in the US movie in the UK. Uh, the movie release has like a three hour making of and then the Criterion was like kind of light on special features. Yes, Chris, that will come out at fifty percent off if they do it at fifty of Uh, okay, So my next one. We covered an announcement from them tonight. But not enough people talk about Cult Epics. Cult Epics has released some really great titles Death Laid an Egg, Is this really great? Uh? Uh what's the guy's name? Julia Questi title? And uh, it's It's a really really great film. They've got some great special features on here. One of my favorite titles from Cult Epics is Angst. I'm really hoping this gets an upgrade to release someday. I feel like this would do very well on four K. But the amount of work that Nico at Cult Epics puts into his releases is really telling of how much you care about your films in your catalog when you do what he does. And the crazy thing Colt Epics has been around for oh gosh, I think we're going on like twenty seven years. I never remember what the exact number is from the interview because he blends a little bit on his timeline because he worked for a video store before doing the Cult Epics thing, and he was doing bootleg vhs and stuff like that. But Cult Epics has tons of incredible titles that they put out throughout the years, Betty Page titles that nobody else has released, some really great jolly titles, some really like underground cult stuff, and then some of the more like obscure art house like erotically charged European releases that nobody else releases. You can find a lot of those on Cult Epics and they're amazing movies. Strongly, strongly recommend Cold Epics. However, again their website is pure dumpster fire. Do not buy straight from their website unless you want like an exclusive release. MVD does sales on Cult Epics kind of often, usually like twice a year. You can pick up a ton of stuff from their catalog, absolutely worth picking up. Then you can get them on Grindhouse, Diabolic Orbit, everybody great titles. Check out more from Could Epics.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to go with one that you can add a lot of context Toure. Obviously you have ties to Terror Vision, but I want to call out these bad boys so Grave Face Video. I think I'm excited for them because they have like The River is as the kind of film that would probably tend to get lost in the cracks. It's it's a simple story. It's like a I even know exactly how to describe it. It's like it's kind of like every every these people, it's like groundhog Day. Sorry, thank you, I couldn't think of it. It's like groundhog Day a little bit, where they keep you living the same thing and they all have awareness that this is happening, and so they're trying to like fit in as much as they can in the time before it resets and it gets, you know, a little crazier each time. But if they're putting out sort of modern day, you know, art house kind of films or or festival films and nice packaging, I'm here for it. So I'm excited to see what else where this line goes.
Speaker 2: I will say the art on these have been amazing so far. All the art is hand drawn by Chloe, which is Ryan Grayface's wife at Terror Vision. The packaging on these are incredibly unique. You're not gonna find these at any other boutique. Blue Ray up company. They are absolutely doing really great work on that front. But the movies, this is where Gray Face is really going to deliver on the goods. So there is there is so much coming from this line that I'm so excited about. I mean, there are documentaries coming. Big Top Pee Wee is going to be under this line when it comes out eventually, that's coming out as a four K river is astonishing. Donning is a really great release. Everything that is a part of this is such I don't know, it's overlooked in so many different ways, even like Big Top Pee Wee. It's a big it's a Pee Wee Herman title, but it was never even released on Blu ray, and so Gray Face scooped it up and we're putting it out on four K Like that's like, that's a huge, huge deal. There are titles coming that are gonna blow people's minds that they were able to acquire and are gonna be under this line. Beyond that, the the random underseen films that we'll play at like three film festivals and then never be seen again is going to make some people very happy with these. I will, I don't know, I will champion the Gray Face titles till the day I die. The River Dock or the River Disc is great. We have a visual essay on it that I'm pretty proud of, very happy with it. It's a great movie. Same director that did Beyond the Infinite two Minutes and it's the same writer as that film. And what is the other one. I can't think of it right now, but it's it's another one. It's another time now your race. It's just because they're Asian. Yeah, the other one is great and I can't think of it right now, but it's a stupendous release. Everybody should check out Gray Face. They do, they do great stuff. But the big thing too, I think they're the first one that we've talked about as part of this that you can subscribe to. You can get a ten film Gray Face subscription with a really nice shirt and get the next ten releases of what they're putting out. I am very happy with their upcoming ten titles, and I think that most people would be too. It's a very I don't know, it's a really high quality mix of genres. So if you are somebody that doesn't get stuck in one lane. Like I know a lot of people just love horror and Colt this is probably not the subscription for you. If you're a big fan of trying everything. This is kind of like the perfect way to blind by a lot of stuff and really fall in love with underseen cinema. Great. My next one you said, Summertime Machine Blues. Thank you so much, Terry. That's the one that was the other title I was trying to think of same writer. You mentioned these guys earlier, and I mentioned these during the announcements of something as well. You said you count them not quite as a major, but I had to show out Third Window. Adam through Third Window is he is like the ultimate one man band. I mean the fact that he does all of like most of the art that doesn't have key art already. He does translations for subtitles himselves, he does all of the acquisitions, he does festival promotions for these films. He is on the ground doing everything. And two of my favorite releases from them one Cut of the Dead. They brought this single handedly to the US, and this film exploded because of Adams really really shouting this out. And this is this is an amazing movie. And then you shouted out their box sets. I had to bring up their Toshiaki Toyota two thousand and five twenty one box set. This one what did they call it the Later Years or whatever? Oh, it's just the the years. But yes, I believe they've done two different box sets of Toyota films. I prefer this one ever, Sol And I think all of the films have gotten standards. Now there's good bonus features. We got commentaries and making of stuff like that. Adam, Adam knows how to pick a film, and if you love Japanese cinema, this is the label made for you. I will shout out Eric, who says Sam Degan's interview with Adam is a must listen for a multitude of reasons. They show you why running these companies is difficult. They show you why releasing these films sometimes is literally a miracle, and that one episode will make you fall in love with Adam and want to buy everything that he does, because man, he again puts his whole life behind some of these films, literally, and then they take four years to sell two thousand copies and it's like, what are we doing? Like this is a great movie. The other big thing. They're also a partner label of Arrow in the UK. You can buy them through Tarak Distribution, but also they go on sale during the Arrow sales, so you can pick up a lot of them for fairly inexpensive. The standard editions are still great, they're great films, great discs. Go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he gets more money if you buy through Terra Cotta, but if your budget conscious, it's cheaper on Arrow.
Speaker 2: So agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, you might disagree with this one being unsung because people go to their website all the time anyways. But I want to call it Neon Eagle just simply because Diabolic has like so much going on. I don't think, I mean, their titles have sold well, and like I think generally they're going to be okay. But chance to shout out Jesse, chance to shout out the great movies that he chooses for the Neon Eagle line. It's a partnership with Jared Fremando, so you're kind of supporting just like good people. I don't think they have any subscription or anything like that. They're they're just doing a few films a year. But I every everything I've seen from Neon Eagle is great and uh, anyways, this is a it's a label. I just have a lot of respect for early on in their in their tenure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a company that people again should feel good about because it's people that actually care about all of these films.
Speaker 1: Great and Terry, I'll just say, I feel like you have to put a caveat the the Obshi films. You know, he's the guy that made House to I think everyone knows that, but like he I don't.
Speaker 2: I I like his.
Speaker 1: Movies, but I do feel like you have to put a somewhat of a description as to what you're about to get in.
Speaker 2: They're not accessible, No.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I mean they're great though, and like they I'm so glad. I'm so happy he's getting, you know, some some more. Really, I mean his film should be released. But yeah, one of the movies is like straight collage kind of for like thirty percent of it. Anyways, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good show on Eagles great. I honestly my only complaint on the On Eagles. I wish they did more than two or three titles a year. I know, I know, but also they've only been around for just over a year, so I imagine they'll probably ramp up ever so slightly. All Right, speaking of people that put a lot into films that get overlooked, I have to give a massive shout out here to film Masters. Now this is a company that people will recognize the logo at the bottom here because it's very similar to the film Detective. And that is because they they were the film Detective and they sold the brand and then started over because that whole thing kind of sucked. But they are doing great films like this whole release of The Killer Shrews and the Monster. It comes with a long book, and they are I believe both of these republic domain and they got you know, we got restored prints, including a restored four K scan of the giant Guila Monster. And the fact that they're putting these out and on release day these are like eighteen dollars is so crazy. Like both films when they do double features get bonus features. They are full length features. They they have documentaries, they've got interviews, they've got visual essays. Special shout out to this single disc release that Will and I are on for the Swiss conspiracy. They are they're choosing films that are in the public domain. Sometimes they're choosing films that people saw in like the eighties, once or twice and then just forgot about. And then they'll get announced and people go, no, way, I saw that when I was a kid on late night TV. I've been wanting to see that again for years, and then they'll put it out and it's like, we got a four K scan of this random ass movie that you saw on a drive in nineteen eighty one, and suddenly it's this like memory inducing machine that people are loving Filmmasters. The people that work there are incredible. They're incredible to work with, they love what they do. Again, a very small company, Please please check them out. Filmmasters deserves a hell of a lot more love.
Speaker 1: That's great. They've been around for a long time too, right, Yeah, in different iterations.
Speaker 2: But yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Somebody who has not been around for a long time but has hit the ground running is a company I mentioned earlier era forty four, forty four nice. So I'm showing off the release of Scissor Penis and Run and Kill. My seven year old was home and I opened up a copy of Scissor Penis and we had a lot of laughs about that. I did not show him in the movie. But can I show this on YouTube or is.
Speaker 2: It gonna get I think you're good, Okay.
Speaker 1: It's just great artwork. Anyways, Sam and Logan have been on your show twice, I think, if not more, we've had them on twice. They're just like they're just two kids. I mean, I hate to call them that because I mean they don't like to really talk about their age, but like they're fresh out of film school or in kind of art school, and they're just they love movies, and so they're putting out the movies they love and they're they're amazing, like the they're my only like, if there's a complaint, it's that they throw like too much stuff in the itsery age release. But I mean that's not really a complaint. It's just they're incredible. Features a lot of chot skis and and merch, which you know, not massive on the merch side. But I love the fact that the movies are coming out. I love the fact that these two, these two young men are doing such a good job right out of the gate, and I hope they're run for a long time.
Speaker 2: Very very solid lineup of film choice from them so far, like films that people have been dying to get, and somehow they've clawed some major titles away from other labels that wanted them. So they've done very well so far. I think I'm about to list probably the only label of the night that people have literally not everybody, but I'm sure a couple people in the chat have probably never heard of them. This is a UK label that I believe is associated with Indicator if I remember right, they launched I don't know five, five or six years ago and they've only got out like twelve or fifteen titles, and that is the company Anti Worlds, and they have very similar design literally down to the coloring down to the font choice. The difference is their spine numbers go in negative order. But their releases are amazing. They always have incredible artwork. They are more modern films than what Indicator usually works with. They generally are multidisc releases with bonus films, lots of shorts. They usually have really great booklets. This is one I brought down to highlight this because it's got some good art, but it's a lot of writing and they're extra long, which again some of these labels that put out booklets could really learn from stuff like this, and the film choice so far has been amazing. They were the first ones that released what is the dogs title Dogs who Wear Pants or whatever. It was released by a Vinegar Syndrome partner label as well. One second, I hate putting people into spen suspense like this Dogs Don't Wear Pants. They released it in the UK and it's an incredible blue disc. Bonus features galore are very cheap. They They've released things that you could get like autograph copies from their website, and Diabolic and Orbit carried them for a while way back in the day, like right after they announced, but I feel like people just don't hear about them. They also don't put out very many titles. I think they've only released two in the last like year eighteen months, so there's it's it would be really easy to catch up with them, and in fact, I think they did during their last title announcement. I think they did a promo where you could buy all of their limited editions for an insanely cheap price. It was literally like ten or twelve pounds per film, which is so cheap. Yeah, I highly recommend checking them out. It is Anti Worlds is the name of the label, and they're just great. They they are above and beyond with the special features, just like Indicator, one of those that, Like I guarantee somebody in the chat has never heard of Anti Worlds and I hope you check them out. Their website is just like Indicators, super easy to navigate, highly recommend.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Anthony gets involved in the the special features for that the production for those could be because they but they don't sell through Indicator website, right, they do not know? Interesting? Yeah, that artwork for dogs don't wear pants. They're release it. That is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really great and pretty much all of it is great. They've got reversible art like this one. It's this is a double feature title. So they did Charmed for Life is the main title that they were releasing, but if you've heard of the other film, they also did Go Down Death and it's just like that's really good art for a film like this.
Speaker 1: Man. That film is wild that just came out through a partner release.
Speaker 2: It did. Yeah, and there's a there's a picture that will probably remind you of that film Charmed for Life.
Speaker 1: It's I don't want to say it's hard to watch in like a and like content perspective, but it's just it's so hard to follow what's going on, right, I mean it's it's fascinating though, fascinating. Okay, do you have any more? Or was that the last one?
Speaker 2: I think you've got the last one now right?
Speaker 1: I want to call him out just because I had Matt Desiderio in from Visual Vengeance and I just kind of jelled with the guy. I just like the guy. He works in a video store in New York City and he like runs film festivals and he's just he's very much like you. You would assume he's somebody that works at trauma. He's just very bootstrapped everything, and he's just like a encyclopedia of like kind of schlocky cinema I guess. And he does crazy stunts like he set up oh what was it, he set up some art display in MoMA, Oh a video store, a VHS video store in like MoMA or something, and they called him to go be the one that actually set it up. And he's just a he's an interesting guy. And Visual Vengeance I just love the movies they put out. You know, he really understands like the kind of the aesthetic of the people. They're gonna watch movies like vampires and other stories like in Colony the Repligator, this is a great one. But yeah, he just like he's in this kind of independently produced horror film genre. And you know, they put out they're inconsistent with their production. I don't know exactly why, but you know, they keep talking about trying to be more consistent. They're up to release twelve at least, maybe a little bit more. But I have at least through twelve. Oh okay, okay, they still have it up.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know. I just I just really like the guy and I hope that his label is successful and he's able to get a little bit of money for his new baby, which might be three four years old.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I agree, Visual Vengeance is fun. They've done some really great stuff. Glad it's coming out. God, so so much that I could say about all these that we have not but also like there's so many labels, there's so many that we could have names tonight that just don't get enough love. It's it's an under it's an underserved market. Sometimes that hurts some of these labels, but also it's an overwhelming hobby. I get it. There are so many films coming out every week. I mean we just went over like seventy announcements tonight. It's the second week of August. That's unexpected for sure. I mean we could have talked about Discothech. They've released a lot of stuff that's not anime. That's great, it's it's overwhelming to keep up with all these Totally get that. That's why I try to do what I do. But the big thing is I really just want to say, try to branch out sometimes, try to spread the love. Try, you know, try not to just go ham on a couple of Black Friday sales and call it done for four months. There are a couple other labels that are going to put out films that you might even like better and that have better quality releases that you could probably get for cheaper, and you just simply don't know about them or don't know how to look out for them. I will do my best to help come here, and we will do what we can to assist you in finding that. Just let us know what you like. We'll do our best. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know this is cliche at this point and not needed to say, but the whole idea of like the criterion treatment of a movie. Now you could say the vinegar syndrome treatment of a movie, or the indicator treatment of a movie. Whatever. But all these boutique labels like they know what they have to do, so everything is Yeah, hey, Ronnie, I think right. I hope I got your name. Milestone's a great call out.
Speaker 2: Yep. I actually wanted to highlight them and I could not find a copy of the film that I wanted to highlight. So yeah, they are one that I would definitely talk about. Keno's got a handful of partner labels that definitely get a lot of appreciation that or definitely don't get a lot of appreciation for what they do when they deserve it.
Speaker 1: S A Peanuts is already selling for ninety dollars release if it's not already.
Speaker 2: A yeah, everything from Air gets a standard release. Any other shout outs, any of the labels that you wanted to but you didn't just grab on to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is a very tiny one. They only do a few films a year at best.
Speaker 2: Be very good.
Speaker 1: Jeane Grasshopper Releasing, they have good stuff.
Speaker 2: Grasshoppers great, especially if you like Hank saying Sue, I, I this is probably gonna sound weird to some people, but I kind of wanted to bring up Eureka again. I know that they get a lot of attention because people love the classics and people love the kunk food films and stuff. They've done a lot of stuff that does not get enough to attention for just being really high quality releases. Eureka is great. Another one like if you love indie horror, we don't talk about Dread Pictures enough. They put out stuff that comes out on release date. It's like fourteen dollars, and they're not all great movies. But I like supporting indie horror and up and coming cult films. It's worth checking them out. It is absolutely a line that you could find some really great titles. I mean, Terrifier was released by Dread way back in the day. They put out a steel book of Terrifier that goes for like three hundred dollars. Now it's crazy Fun City Editions, yet another one that keeps putting out great stuff that people don't really pay attention to. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we need to have an Altered Innocence and fun City segment of every show, just to like make sure they don't go away. They're both great.
Speaker 2: Terry says, just got a Golden Ninja video or yesterday. The special features are enlightening and made me more excited for the movies on the disc. Justin da Clue is a champion of film that needs to be paid attention to. His special features are generally pretty great. He just goes through all of like tries to make them comprehensive for films that will not get any other release, it's beyond worth it. Canadian International another great one. We talked about them earlier a little bit, but they're amazing. Possible Films if you like Hal Hartley, good shout out there.
Speaker 1: Possible Films is the name of a label.
Speaker 2: It is, Yeah, but I believe they only do Hal Hartley stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, nice. That's like Abco with If you're a fan of YOTAASKI they have any of his stuff, Like you said, I mean there's one hundred we could.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Grasshopper is a big one that I wanted to shout out in this portion, So I'm glad you said something we mentioned Grindhouse during the announcements tonight. But if you are somehow new to the game and have never checked out a Grindhouse releasing release, I know it's a weird way to say that, but their releases are overwhelming with the amount of special features and bonus films, and some of them it's literally like twelve hours of special features and it's a twenty dollars release. You can't really beat that.
Speaker 1: I mean, outside of Bill Lustik, he's probably the most connected person.
Speaker 2: In the industry, right, yes, probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he stacks it full of good stuff.
Speaker 2: Which is why it takes so long for many of these.
Speaker 1: That's right, Massacre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're around, They're kinda there, all right. I think that's all we got for tonight. I hope everybody enjoyed that. That that was a really fun one to do tonight. And some of these smaller labels I just like, I just like talking about I mean, they don't get the love. And you're one of my favorites to talk about it with. So thanks for doing this as usual. Everybody, please go subscribe to They Live by Film and the brand new Vinegar Syndrome podcast from Chris here called Punk vacation. It is off to an amazing start. Can't wait to see what comes next. And yeah, anything else you want to shout out, go.
Speaker 1: See some of this stuff on I'm not just saying this because you're here. Some of the stuff on someone's favorite production. There's legitimately like good podcast on there. Did I get the name right? I always call it something someone with.
Speaker 2: Someone's favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's legitimately some good stuff on there, So I think any you can't really go wrong. Thanks for chatting. I'm not I'm fine with Jewish people.
Speaker 2: On that note, the one thing that I was holding close to the vest wanted to say thank you face to face for writing an incredible piece on Achaille Suave for the newest issue of The Physical Media Advocate. You can pick up issue number eleven at the link in the description below. It's literally our best issue yet. I know that I say that every time next issue will get smaller because it has to. This thing ended up over sixty pages and your piece is amazing. I really hope people check it out because Suavi does not get enough love. All that to say, Chris does great work. Support everything he does because I try to and it's worth it.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being here tonight.
Speaker 1: Chris, great community. Thanks so thanks Ryan.
Speaker 2: We'll see you the next one. Ye thank you for watching The Disconnected on the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this
Speaker 1: Me