Speaker 1: Justin Worship is with us, host of the Dad Podcast.
Speaker 2: We like talking parenting things.
Speaker 3: The idea of naming your kid is obviously probably step two or three of being a parent, right in terms of the responsibility.
Speaker 2: I like that sequence. I'm afraid to ask. What wanted to Number one? Is you gotta make it? There you go? Thanks Gary? Or buy it? I mean, I don't know how people get their kids the good. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: But step two or three is gonna be okay, So what are we gonna call this thing?
Speaker 1: Uh And there's a lot you're setting up your kid for financial failure if if you don't pick these top five names.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, if you if you named your kid uh Anna, Maria, Laura, Helen or Sarah, you did good for them. They're gonna do female, Yeah, they're gonna do. They're gonna be great financially. For the guys, it's Andrew, Sam, Alex, Christopher, and Darren. Good for you.
Speaker 1: But my husband, I mean, I'm sorry, my brother. That's a weird slip. My brother's name is Andrew.
Speaker 4: Right at the time top of.
Speaker 2: The list, zoom number one, Well, guess what borrow some money from bro? He's loaded and then if you're doing poorly. Karen's taken a lot of hits in these last few years. She tops the list of struggling financially, probably because she's calling the cops on people that now deserve to be She's getting a lot of lawsuits, so's she's gonna exactly Claire, Lisa, Jennifer and Rachel, And then for guys Allie and Rob, Dan, Chris and Dominic, which is interesting because if you shorten it from Christopher, not so good financially, but if you got the full toe for going on you were, you're thriving as a guy. That's just the.
Speaker 1: Most ridiculous I've ever read that in my life. It's insane and ps. Claire is a strong, firm name.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think of Claire as a financial failure. I don't see Claire as somebody who's in a gutter in financial ruin.
Speaker 4: But that's how Claire doesn't live on skid row.
Speaker 2: That's how strong Claire is. She can make you believe she's thriving when in actuality, deep down she's struggling. She needs a hug, No, she's not.
Speaker 1: Claire has a matching sweater set and a string of pearls on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she's financed. They're all on credit card debt. Shannon, Oh, maybe that's what I'm saying. I'm telling you Claire is not okay. If you have a friend named Claire, you need to call her and make sure she's okay and buy her lunch. She's not going to split about Claire.
Speaker 3: But they don't even there's no there's no connection, I mean right, I mean they can't establish what the connection would be between these names and film.
Speaker 2: They just basically went through and looked at social Security data and figured out who was thriving financially and what the most common names were about for those people that were thriving financially, and then technically.
Speaker 1: She should all be fired. Those people should be elon Musk. If your job is to go through social Security data and find out what your first name is successful.
Speaker 2: This is a this is a college funded study, So I don't think this is actually from the federal government. What was it. I think it was Brigham Yell.
Speaker 4: Go back to the Mormons.
Speaker 2: College closed, But they did. It's funny they did kind of what I The reason why I brought this to you guys is for just the funny of just laughing that your name has anything to do with your financial success. But I also think it's a reflection of what I feel that these anks written parents go through. That we've now added icing onto a cake, which is this is probably more of a multiple flower icing flower that's being added on top of the cake of like things you should worry about. You failed your kid because you didn't name them Anna, right, you would have just named them Anna.
Speaker 3: Listen, there's pressure in the process of naming the kid already. I think that's your point. And in terms of what we were saying, what my wife and I were saying when we were doing this exercise of what would you even begin? Would you want a family name? Would you want to name it after your grandfather? Like, what, how do you even begin? There's plenty of pressure. You got it, and you should cut down on the rules. The rules are basically for me, the rules were, I'm not going to name my son anything close to one of your ex boyfriends.
Speaker 2: That was really the only thing I didn't that is so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That is not ridiculous because she's had so many boyfriends that the list was pretty small.
Speaker 2: See, this is why I brought this. I didn't know this was an undertended consequence. Look at how much fun we're having.
Speaker 1: It's such an early twenties thing, like I'm not what are your ex boyfriends name?
Speaker 2: The fun game I named was I played with my wife? Is that my wife had been talking about, like all the girl names, Kiara, Noel, these were all names that she was thrown around, and Kiara was my least favorite. And so when we bought our house, we adopted this kind of feral kitten that had lived in the park across the street and walk up to us, and so she was like, oh, let's keep the kitten. I was like, you know what your namebor is Kiara. That's one of the names you like. And my wife is so caught up in the emotion of her She's like, that's a great idea, and I'm like, great, we never have a daughter named Kiara now?
Speaker 3: And then an electric fence was built around the name Kiara.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: That is so manipulative.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I'm very I'm very very rarely am I good at it? That? Like?
Speaker 4: Especially my peace of who you are?
Speaker 2: I know, but it felt so strong, Oh my god, wait a minute, hold on. I've never felt more alive than that day.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's an immature thing to say, is you can't name my son after ex boyfriend.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying it's immature.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that, like in my early twenties, I was more obsessed with like like my boyfriend or now husband or whatever it was with their exes.
Speaker 2: I was more She's yeah, she's saying it was a sign of the time over your age. And you're right because because if I look, yes, because right now, if I look three years previous, I'm the only person that my wife has had sex with.
Speaker 4: I'm not even.
Speaker 1: Thinking about it in your forties or whatever, right and when I'm twenty one, yes, I may not be the only person on that list in three years.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's all. I'm sorry, All right, good, you know what's funny about me? As soon as you said it, I agreed. I was just like, I'm have never thought of that. I'm so glad my naming. I dodged that bullet.
Speaker 3: And the thing is her most I think the boyfriend that she had before me was also named Andy, and if that had happened, and like we named our kid, and I know five million andy's now and they all haunt me because.
Speaker 2: They remind me of my wife's sex boyfriend. I was afraid one of them was going to be named Alvin, and so she found a loophole with Calvin or Alan or something.
Speaker 1: The best part of that is like, and I think kind of we have a magnetic quality about us, Gary, Like one of your best friend's name.
Speaker 4: Is Andy now right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I think also there's this weird thing that that just happens. I call you Andy sometimes. My brother's name is Andy, and.
Speaker 2: It hurts every time.
Speaker 1: And I do that sometimes. I haven't done it in a long time, But there's something to be said. When you really don't want something, sometimes the.
Speaker 2: Universe does and it hurts because you're not as financially successful ass. And the other thing is that my in laws, for the first year that my wife and I were dating, they called me in no way, absolutely no, yeah, and they wouldn't even catch on.
Speaker 3: Like I remember distinctly. We were sitting in the backseat of a car. We're going with them to I had to be dinner somewhere, and we were visiting them while they were in Seattle, and we were living in Sacramento, and and her mom my now mother in law, kind of spun around and.
Speaker 2: Was like, so, Andy, what was it like at work this week?
Speaker 3: And I mean direct eye contact and everything and no, and I was like, nobody was talking to me.
Speaker 2: Nobody on this planet is better, by the way than your Shannon. And like the comedic response take to that of just like I just imagined going stiff and just lowering her.
Speaker 3: Head at a forty and like, yeah, my wife said. My wife corrected her right away. She's like, his name is Gary, And to her credit, my mother in law now mother in law, was mortified and she said it like at dinner time, I'm really sorry for calling you that I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: And my wife then again she pops up. She's like, you guys do it all the time. No we don't, and yes you do.
Speaker 4: How long were they together?
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's a great question. I don't know months.
Speaker 1: It's it's so weird. And I said, how long were Shannon and Andy together? Because my whole life it's been Shannon and Andy, Shannon and Andy.
Speaker 3: You know, we'll try living my life where I go home and they're like, who who? When I went to get notarized yesterday's signature and they're like, who's who's signing today? And I said, Gary and Shannon don't forget to download the podcast.
Speaker 4: So how long were they together?
Speaker 2: I think it was a year plus. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't know. He just got a list. He didn't get time, praks.
Speaker 1: He just seems like it's enough time for the mother or the father to continually call the new one the old.
Speaker 2: One, and was really nice.
Speaker 4: That's what he looks similar.
Speaker 3: We have time to go into this blonde hair. He's also addicted to porn. But that's sorry. I couldn't just let that know. Yeah, you had to take a shot at him. You won, Garritt, It's okay.
Speaker 2: You won.
Speaker 3: The study that reveals that parents do have a favorite child, and to break it down, BYU and Western University looked at all of these different things. Kids who are favored tend to have better mental health, to do better in school, to have better family relationships. I'm not sure if that's the cause or the effect of being a favorite or but they also said that the older child and often girls, yes, tend to be the favorite child.
Speaker 2: Daughters predominantly are favorite. And this is what I love is bringing this in is that both of you guys have siblings that, like you have a sister, Shannon has a brother. Do you think that your sister got favorite of treatment.
Speaker 3: I think they at times did get the favorite treatment, yeah, but for different reasons. I mean, one of them was very school minded and driven and was first to graduate college because she was older. But but and then the other one was very sporty, like she was super involved in Yeah, and then I was like, hey, there's there's that guy keeps showing up at our house every day.
Speaker 2: That was the opinion on you. Yeah, Jan, do.
Speaker 1: You think that you got I think, like Gary, you're a rule follower, like before you got here. Justin we were talking about it and Gary said that his parents routinely told him that he was the favorite. And and I think that you are really good with following rules and not getting like you get into the correct amount of trouble without being a like a problem or a problem or a worry. Yeah, whereas your sisters, there was two of them. Girls are kind of tricky boys a lot of time. I think probably get the bad rap because they're little boys and they're all over the place, and they're dirty, and they're not rule followers, and they're you know, they're rambunctious, and that's just what little boys are. And I think that that's probably it. Girls are probably more self contained for the most part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because what I've heard is that like daughters feel like they aren't that the brother always has more leeway, particularly like going out to parties and dating, because for whatever reason, parents worry less about their sons, but brothers feel like the girls get away with more because they get treated with a little bit more mittens and like and tenderly than the boy would. Right, that's like. And I think the other thing that this article kind of talks about, which I kind of agree with, is that this is really about a kid's perception. This opened my eyes because I think if you were to ask me, until recently, I would probably if I had to, like gun to my head, I had to pick a favorite kid, it would be my older son. Until recently. Now, my younger son is probably more my favorite because he's employed. I've decided that having a child two weeks. Yeah, I've decided that having a child that has a job is my new favorite thing about being a father I love it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing we were talking about too, is how it changes, like your faceite kid changes.
Speaker 2: My dad said. The way I asked him, and I know I've said this multiple times here is that I said, do you really have a favorite? And he was like, you don't have a favorite, you just always have. It rotates who you're worried about, like there's always he said, there's always one of you that your mom and I are worried about. And then when that one starts to like rally, he goes, you don't stop worrying because now you're like looking at the other two of going okay, which, what's going to happen to you two now? Because all three of you are never thriving at the same time, Like it just doesn't work out that way. Yeah, And we've used the quote before. I heard it said by Heraldo Rivera, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if he was the one who originated it, which is you're never as you're only as happy as your unhappiest child, and that, I mean that kind of plays into it. There you go back and forth, they go through different light and depending on how old they are too, if there's a wide age separation, they're going to go through different life stages at very different times and give you sort of the roller coaster effect of got to pay attention to this one as she's a preteen, but that guy's going to be an late adolescent, what's happening with their and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Because like like it says, the more agreeable child is also usually the more favorite, which is I think what Shannon's saying about you. I would also say that about my older son. It's just always been easier for me to talk to my older son. He's like me, he likes to talk things out. My younger son is like my wife. He holds it in if he's upset and you have to pull it out of him. But I would also argue that if you're talking about favoritism my older son, I think thinks that we favor the younger one because I have to try. I have to put in an effort to get things out of my younger son, whereas I don't have to do anything with my older son to feel like I have like that he knows that there's a connection there. I guess I don't know, but it's all perception. Nothing is real, because how do you sit down and have a sincere conversation about who do you think mom and dad love more?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And when I talked about it last week, there were people who were upset that I would even entertain the thought of telling one of my children that they were my favorite, Like, what good is that?
Speaker 2: You're just going to sew division between the two of them, which.
Speaker 3: I've never tell these people shut up, Well, I would never. Also, I don't think I would ever seriously say to them, Hey, it's like sit them both down and go. You know it's been bugging me for a long time. This you I hate you, but she I like her? She or you're a moron, but he's really got his stuff together right now, listen. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect or doing all this great, but I'll tell you like, we have videos of my wife telling me she was pregnant with each of our sons, and with the second one it was not a happy moment. It was definitely like we were struggling financially. And after the video, she goes, should I delete this, like basically erasing the evidence? And I said no, I said, because yes, this is kind of like a oh crap, moment, But in reality, I go, if this kid looks at this video at twenty two years of age and doesn't laugh at it because he has spent the last twenty two years of his life being loved and growing in this family and being supported, then yeah, we were hosted to begin with, and that video didn't change any of it. Like, that doesn't make any difference, I said, so, I think it is what it is. And both of my sons have listened to both all of my comedy albums, which is just me jokingly like making fun of being them and talk about how bad being a dad is and they laugh, Like I don't think it really matters. It matters when it's like when I guess it's real, Like I think if you genuinely told your kids like, oh, you're my favorite, I don't think it's really that sincere.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean exactly.
Speaker 1: That's really sweet that your kids have listened to your albums.
Speaker 2: Oh, it scared me. My dad played them when he brought him home. He played all three of them when they were like four and seven, and I'm like, Dad, did you give any context? He's like no, I just thought they get a kick out of hearing their dad do what he does, and they still to this day they like it. They think it's funny, like which I agree, Shanon. It does. It warms my heart. But your point also is they probably don't take it seriously. They don't they know how much I love them. Yeah. I cry everything they do and I hug them all the time. Again like this idea that we worry that the kids don't feel like you love them, like you start crying right now. I already am the greatest after half an hour. Thank you, Justin