Speaker 1: Here's your SENNA nine first Warning weather forecast. Not too bad, is going to get warmer, thirty one the High to day with mostly sunny skies, down to eighteen overnight with partly thoudy skies. Tomorrow partly sunny and thirty six for the High. Now to twenty one overnight, clear skies, Sunday partly cloudy, forty four for the High, and they're expecting temperatures in the fifties next week. Right now, it's eighteen. In time for a traffic update, Chuck.
Speaker 2: From the UCEL traffic center. You see health.
Speaker 3: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it and make sure best tomorrow possible. That's found most care for better outcomes. Expect more at you see health dot com. Highway traffic just beginning to build on suthbound seventy five Pata Lackland. Still not a major time delay at all northbound seventy five or northbound fourth seventy one coming into town, Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: That is seven point thirty fifty five KAR see the talk station. Very happy Friday to you, and I'd like to welcome back and congratulate running for mayor of the City of Cincinnati, got the signatures turned in, They've all been approved. He is running for mayor. He is Corey Bowman. Corey, good to have you back on the morning show.
Speaker 4: Good to be back, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Did you get a lot of people showing up at your coffee shop to sign the petition to get you on the ballot.
Speaker 4: It was a combination of a lot of different things that brought it all together at the last minute.
Speaker 1: You have a lot of people out there on the streets working for you, I hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So we had We had many individuals that were just very excited about what we were doing. They were going door to door, we were going to communities, families. When it came down to it the last night, we were driving around till midnight gathering whatever we could.
Speaker 1: Well and again they've already certified. You have on kind of board of Elections to certified the signatures for you. And when you're out and about gathering signatures to get on the ballot, and you're gonna have to continue to this. On the campaign trail, people are going to ask you questions about what you stand for, what your goals, your motivations, and your ideas are for the city. So did you hear a lot of or did you get a lot of questions along those lines when you're around circulating position?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And honestly, I I'd made a lot of those questions myself to the people a lot of times when we weren't just you know, paying somebody to get the signatures on our behalf. We were actually going out to our future voters. And so most of the people that we if we had the time to we would ask them what are the issues that are important to you? And then we would have really great discussions.
Speaker 1: What are you hearing from folks? What are the issues that are most important to them?
Speaker 4: I mean, for the most part, if you're downtown, they just say, fix the damn potholes.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite pet peeves about the city of Cincinnati is just the absolute deteriorating, deteriorating nature of the infrastructure. You know, Corey, what they're like four hundred and fifty million dollars worth of projects behind. They're supposed to do X number of road miles a year and repairs, They have the money allocated for it, and for some reason or other, it never gets done. I mean that's that that should be a motivating factor to run for mayor in and of itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can you imagine from day one of being elected that that's the first thing that we actually do that we said that we were going.
Speaker 2: To do, just kind of like Donald Trump, Ye get a lot of people.
Speaker 4: It's you know, we live in a city. There is certain key issues that pertain to the residents of our city, and so yeah, there's a lot of issues that face the country as a whole, and there's a lot of broad statements that we could make, but ultimately there's real issues that people care about. And you know, if you drive over a pothole, it doesn't matter whether you're a Democrat or Republican. You're tired getting.
Speaker 1: Flat exactly right, and supposed notably, those neighborhoods that seem to be overlooked, you know, for decades, it's as if they don't exist. And I don't know how in that situation, someonel continue to vote for the same party that hasn't served their interests for however many years we've been going on with this problem. So maybe you stand a chance. Did you get a sense of you there's a possibility for you because you know, it is the city of Cincinnati. You're not running as a Democrat, Corey, And I just wonder what your enthusiasm level is after going out and about meeting with folks out in the communities.
Speaker 4: My enthusiasm level probably was improved every day that I spoke to people. I'll be honest. I mean I had no clue whether this was the right decision or not when we first made We just knew it it had to be done. And every morning I would wake up, I'll just say, you know, what are you doing, Corey? Why are you making this run? And every night I would go to bed more encouraged than not because of the conversations I had. People are very excited about what we stand for, They're very hungry for change in the city. And yes, it's going to be an uphill battle the next da months, but every conversation I had just gave me that extra energy that I needed to keep.
Speaker 2: On going well.
Speaker 1: And I know your jd Vance's half brother, and that propelled you sort of the national stage. I mean, there was a lot of reporting on major media outlets that you were, in fact or you are in fact running for the mayri City of Cincinnati. Do you feel as if it's a I mean, it's a benefit for me from a publicity standpoint, but you somehow feel maybe you're in the shadow of your vice presidential half brother.
Speaker 4: Well, like I said in my post whenever I announced it, that you know, he's a great role model of mine. And when I saw the enthusiasm and the hope and the change behind you know, the inauguration weekend, that's what inspired me because our hometown can't fall behind these next four years. So we're gonna We're gonna work very hard the next eight months to go into every district, talk to every community. We're going to get the right endorsements, We're going to get the right groups behind us. But then also I think one of the biggest motivators for people to vote for us is going to be this upcoming year with the current administration.
Speaker 1: Well, certainly a lot of talking points and different ideas are welcomed by a lot of folks across political stripes. One of the things I want to ask you when we come back, Corey, is about this Connected Communities program, because a lot of folks are rebelling against it, and it's a program that was pretty much shoved down every single neighborhood in the city's throat without their input. Let's bring Corey Bowman back. He is running for mayor the city of Cincinnati, and we'll try to be remain optimistic for him.
Speaker 2: In the meantime.
Speaker 1: I want to mention affordable imaging services because your hospital imaging departments just is outrageous in terms of what it charges for any kind of given image, echo cardiograms, MRI, ct scans, ultrasounds, affordable imaging services. You have a choice when it comes to your medical care. So why would you pay thirty five hundred dollars at the hospital when you can get an echo cardiogram at affordable imaging services for a mere five hundred dollars Not that that's not money, but a mere compared to thirty five hundred. If you need an enhancement, it's only eight hundred. And that enhancement, of course, will cost you more. At the imaging department at the hospital. You'll probably pay separate for the board certified radiologists to read the image. You get that included in the low price. So five hundred dollars including the radiologist report. I like that a lot more, especially given it's a new calendar year, and you got a huge chunk out of pocket liability, most notably for folks who are like under Obamacare plan or maybe you don't have medical insurance and that image will empty out your bank account.
Speaker 2: You have a choice.
Speaker 1: Check it out online, go to Affordable Medimaging dot Com mri CD. They're all a mere fraction same kind of equipment. It's just low overhead, so don't expect bells and whistles, just to expect a perfect image with the radiologist report that your doctor will not have any problem with. Isn't that what it's all about? So give them a call five one three seven five three eight thousand, seven five three eight thousand again online Affordable Medimaging dot Com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC to station.
Speaker 1: The countdown is on to our nhame time with the letter Channa nine. First warning weather specifically and look forward to next week. It's going to warm up into the fifties, they're saying. But between now and then, we've got today with mostly sunny skies in a high thirty one. It's going to be partly cloudy overnight going down to eighteen thirty six under partly sunny skies Tomorrow twenty one the overnight low with clear skies and a partly cloudy Sunday by a forty four again, segue into the fifties next week twenty degrees. Now time for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Tranthhics Center, and you see healthy and find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care from better outcomes. Expect more at U see health dot com. Northbound seventy five slows a bit, buttermilk towards Kyle's and I'm just hearing dispatches for a wreck northbound seventy five near the Western Hills. Five do stapbound seventy five. That slows a bit. That the Reagan Highway chucking from on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty fifty KCIT talk station. Brian Thomas was Corey Bowman, who is officially a candidate for the mayor of the City of Cincinnati. Got all the signatures been certified, and he's going to hit the ground running. You'll see him in neighborhoods. You're planning on having town halls and things of that nature. Corey, You're willing to actually meet and talk with the people. I kind of got that impression in the last segment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's got to be a key thing with this campaign. We're definitely going to be doing live q ands on livestream, most likely every week. I'm trying to about what the best day is for it, but then every week we're going to have to hit different areas in different districts. My goal would be to find the local key businesses in the area. You know, we had our first one of our first meetings in our downtown coffee shop and it was a great response. You know, we had a meeting in price Field Chili. So what I want to do is just find these key businesses in these districts with the business owners that are hurting and really just have these events there and hear.
Speaker 1: From people wonderful and by way of background, and I think it's important for our listeners to know you Uh, you own the King's Arms Coffee Roasters, which we've been mentioned a couple of times. You're also a pastor at the River Church in Cincinnati. I suppose being a pastor you have to regularly communicate with parishioners and spread the message and relate and connect to people. Does that is that a is that that served you well in your efforts thus far?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I joked around because one of the biggest things that helped me in politics unexpectedly was ministry. And partly because you deal with people and you're dealing with people's opinions and you're talking with people, also because you care for people. But then another is because ministry they'll cut your throat at any point in time, and so that's something that I'm learning about politics as well.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Now moving over to one of the more interesting and I think problematic issues for the same the Cincinnati residents is this connected Communities thing that city Council passed really without any input from the various neighborhoods within the city of Cincinnati, requiring you know, changing in zoning and dense population in other words, knocking down single family homes and putting up higher volume apartments, many of which will not have any parking. I know neighborhoods like Hyde Park are worried about impacting the community where these people are going to park, but it's all design to get people on buses, and I think it's really an affront to the single family property owner to know that, you know, how next door neighbor could have sellar house and next thing you know, you're living in next to a ten twelve unit CONDOMENTI or rather apartment complex. Where are you on connected Communities?
Speaker 4: Corey, Well, when I first heard about these issues, you know, I decided we have to hear people's opinions, we have to research. So one of the first things that we did over the course of find these signatures was we went to a hall meeting that was in bond Hill area related to this Connected communities and Sky Johnson, Counselan Sky Johnson and Vice Mayor Kearney were there and as we were there, I give it up for the councilmen mayor. They were kind of, you know, doing some crowd control with the very disgruntled people in the room. But a lot of people showed up and you could tell that they're very frustrated with how this has been brought to the city. And so I was going through asking people questions and I think the biggest thing is that if you take the cover sheet on top of these connected community policies that most likely were written by chat GBT, you would sit there and say, yeah, we kind of like bringing communities together, but yeah, we look like helpless in need. We like bringing business. But it's what they're trying to kind of sneak in through these policies, and what they're really trying to sneak in through this is exactly what you're talking about. It's, you know, prop improperly managed affordable housing policies. You're bringing in big time developers instead of small time businesses that actually want to enhance the properties and want to utilize the historic buildings that are there. And then you're exactly right. They're trying to get it to a point to where people have to take the bus, they have to be in a multi level apartment, they can't own their own home, they can't park anywhere, and this isn't right for certain communities to where the historic aspect that like Park and other areas in our city that's invaluable and connected. Community policies like this are just going to rip that out from people.
Speaker 1: Well, and hasn't the city learned anything over the years about absentee landlords, which have been a problem and a plague on the general Greater Cincinnati area for so long properties deteriorate, they're nowhere to be found. When you finally try to find them, they change the corporate structure, so you have to start all over again. In terms of any litigation you're waging against them. I mean, you know that season written on the wall or baked into the cake. When you got these outside developers building these units.
Speaker 4: Well you know when me and my wife have lived here, and well, we lived here, I've been from here my whole life. But being downtown for four years with the Church of Business, We've had many friends that have never visited Cincinnati before, and then they come in and they're blown away by the historic buildings. They're blown away by the beauty of Dayton Street and other areas that have these amazing town homes, amazing business fronts. I mean, I mean, my coffee shop is in one of these buildings. And when you bring in developers and absentee landlords and all these things, it's taking away from the beauty and the character of our city. And also, I'll be honest with you, we've been in the West End and we have many people connected to us that are small time business owners. They can only flip one property at a time or have one business location at a time. And they are hungry to utilize these spaces to better the community. But these policies took out developers, any of these small businesses that really want to utilize this. And so, yeah, you have thousands of vacant properties, but it's done by the hand of the city policies.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, obviously tinkering with other people's neighborhoods and individual zoning rules. I just I mean, it's such an intrusion into that neighborhood's own rights and freedoms and ability to control their own direction that they just passed this without going to the various communities and getting input and asking if any given neighborhood was in favor of it ever or not. Some of them are, many of them are not. Again, I turned back to Hyde Park, and I guess the idea is this is going to somehow make a housing affordable. I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm a little skeptical that any player in Hyde Park, regardless of who builds it, it's going to be affordable. I mean, a lot of people love Hyde Park. It's a beautiful neighborhood. It's it's if it's walkable, it's got a lot of businesses that you can just walk around generally speaking. But if you build an apartment building there, the apartments are going to fetch a pretty high rent.
Speaker 2: I'm willing to bet anyone.
Speaker 4: Well, even if it does become affordable. This is a major issue in our city. Is that for the sake of affordable housing or income based housing, what's happening is that you have poorly managed policies that are really keeping those individuals. Yeah, they might be able to afford it, but they'll never be able to afford something higher in their lives because the way that they're structuring this, it's keeping people in bondage to the system.
Speaker 1: It's a great way of putting it. We can end on that note. Corey Bowman, He's got a Facebook page Corey Bowman Bowma and beautiful. You got a beautiful wife there, so congratulations on out kicking your coverage, my friend, and a beautiful a beautiful family as well.
Speaker 2: You got three children, is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a fourth on the way to end of June, early July.
Speaker 1: No, that's beautiful. Well, good luck with all that, and thanks for been a time with my listeners me. I know, and I hope that you and I will be talking a lot between now and the election, and I wish you the best of luck. Get the message out there and maybe we can transform the city to a better place for everyone.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we're going to do it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thank you brother. Have a great weekend seven forty eight. Right now, if if you five k CD talk station to save money and get a great experience when you're having your foreign car repaired, that's what foreign exchange is all about. They're just wonderful people. You'll enjoy the environment because they're friendly. But more fundamentally, at foreign exchange, you get a qualified as certified Master technician working on your car. They have your manufacturer's data and access to all of the information they need to fix it. I don't care if you've got an exotic European car or in my case now a key. I tell you right, haven't had it in there yet, but at some point it's going to go into foreign exchange for surface, I assure you. Or our old CRV, they kept that thing running north of one hundred and fifty thousand miles and yes it's still out there in the world running.
Speaker 2: My son has it now.
Speaker 1: But the point is you take it there you get a full warranty on parts and service, and you have more money in your pocket than had you taken it to the dealer, and sometimes a substantial amount more in your pocket. They just don't charge as much, but it's a great opportunity for you to have your car fixed for less and be happy about it. Foreign x dot Com form the letter X dot com online again. You know me. I always recommend that west Chester locations to take the Tylersville legs off of I seventy five, go east and hang it right on Kinglin. It's just two streets, a real short jog. Foreign x dot com the number NEX schedule appointment there five one three six four four twenty six twenty six. Please tell them I said, Hi, five one three six four four twenty six twenty.
Speaker 2: Six fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: That's