Speaker 1: Hello, and thanks for joining us here on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today, Rick continues teaching a series called Connecting with God the Lord's Prayer. In these lessons, Rick shows you what it means to truly be spiritually connected to God and to each other through the power of God's love and God's Word. In a moment, we're going to tell you how to get the Daily Hope Advent Calendar. This special resource will help you experience all that Christmas promises. Go to Pastorick dot com to find out more, or text the word Daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com. Or the word Daily to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Here's Pastor Rick with the final part of a message called the Prayer of Cleansing our review.
Speaker 2: Every year, I repent of every sin. Here's a third step. I resolve to make restitution. If possible. You make restitution now. Sometimes it's not possible. They may have died, they may have moved away and you can't find him. They may have remarried and it would be not a good thing for you to reopen an old wound. And so in some situations you can't make restitution, but anything you can do to make it right, you do so. Number four, The fourth thing I do is now I receive God's forgiveness. The Bible says this. And by the way, you don't have to be hesitant or shy about coming to God for forgiveness. He says, Let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God, and there we will find he said, not scolding, not punishment, not rejection.
Speaker 3: He says. When we come to God with.
Speaker 2: Our sin, we receive his mercy and we find his grace. What's the difference between mercy and grace. Mercy is forgiveness for all the things you've done in the past. Grace is the power to change in the future.
Speaker 3: And you need both.
Speaker 2: And God says, you come to me with honestly, with all your sin. And you say, God, this stinks, this looks bad. I'm embarrassed about It's the good, the bad, and the ugly in my life. God says, you will have mercy for your past and grace to change in your future. Now, let me tell you how not to get God's forgiveness. You don't beg. You don't bargain or bribe like I try to do. God, I'll never do it again, or I'll all live this kind of life, or I'll tie twenty percent. Or you don't bargain, You don't bribe, you don't beg.
Speaker 3: You just believe. What do you believe? You believe God's promise on the screen. Here's the promise.
Speaker 2: If we freely admit that we have sinned, that's if we confess our sins. We find God utterly reliable. He's not going to backtrack on this. He forgives our sin and makes us thoroughly clean. Wouldn't you like to be totally clean on the inside?
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: You just confess. Confession is saying you're right God, it was wrong. You're right, I was wrong. That's confession to speak the same with God. The Bible says this up here on the screen. Since we are justified, that means acquitted, declared righteous through faith. Let us grasp the fact that we now have peace and reconciliation with God. Now before I get the end through our Lord Jesus Christ. Now it says, since we are justified, we've talked about this word before.
Speaker 3: What does it mean to be justified?
Speaker 2: It means when God makes you just as if I'd never sinned. That's what it means to be justified. God says, I'm gonna make you just as if I'd never sinned. I'm going to wipe the slate clean. I'm going to erase everything you've ever done wrong. I'm going to justify you, make you just as if I'd never sinned. And he says that comes not by you earning it, But just do faith in me, faith in my son Jesus Christ. You say, Rick, you don't know what I've done, God could never forgive me. Well, you're wrong, I don't know what you've done, but it doesn't matter. In fact, the Bible says this on the screen. No matter how deep the stain of your sin, I could take it out, and I can make you clean as freshly fallen snow.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you like to have a heart like that, that is clean as freshly fallen snow. When you have that, it doesn't mean you're perfect. It means you're forgiven.
Speaker 1: This is pastor Rick's daily hope. We're so glad you're with us today. Rick will be back in a moment. But first, recently, past mister Rick had our graphic designers create a beautiful frameable version of the Lord's Prayer that you can download for free right now by visiting Pastorick dot com. That's Pastorick dot com fall.
Speaker 4: Us here now, and that means Christmas is right around the corner. That's why we want to let you know that Pastor Rick and his wife Kay created an advoic calendar with specially commissioned custom artwork.
Speaker 5: It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: This two part resource includes a calendar with a special door for every day of December that opens to reveal a hidden image and an encouraging Bible verse. Use it with a companion daily devotional booklet to help you and your family draw closer to Jesus and prepare your heart for the real celebration. The Daily Hope Admit Calendar will help you spend the holidays worshiping instead of worrying, slowing down and reconnecting with God and expressing gratitude for the true meaning of the season. You want to get the Daily Hope admin Calendar and devotional booklet in your hands now to start using it on December first. This resource is a perfect way to share the gift of Jesus at Christmas with your friends and family, and we'll send it to you to say thanks when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take good news to people everywhere. Quantities are limited, so get yours now. Just call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four, or go to Pastororrick dot com. That's eight hundred and six hundred at five zero zero four, or go to pastor Rick dot com. Thanks so very much.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, it's Pastor Rick Warren with some really big news. My Daily Hope devotionals are now available in Portuguese. If you know somebody who would enjoy reading these devotionals in Portuguese, please email me and I'll send you the link to sign up. My email is Rick at Pastorick dot com. That's Rick at pastororik dot com.
Speaker 4: Now let's get back to more great teach with Castor Brickborne.
Speaker 2: Now you come to step five, and step five is the most difficult one. This is the real test of maturity. I reveal my faults to a friend. You don't have to reveal them to fifteen people, not the five people, not the three, not even the two, but you need one person that you come clean with. You said, Oh, come on, Rick, can I just be forgiven by confessing to God? Of course you can. Of course you can't. But here's the question, and I want you to get it. You need to ask yourself, do I want to be emotionally healed?
Speaker 3: Or do I just want to be forgiven?
Speaker 2: If all you want to do is be forgiven and you want to carry the weight and the pain and the resentment, are all of the pressure of it the rest of your life and have it come back and keep messing with your mind, Oh you needed is just confess it to God. God will forgive you. You don't have to tell anybody else. Just tell God and you'll forgive you. Keep on carrying it. God wired it that we only get well in community. Notice what the Bible says, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other. We're to confess and we're to pray for each other so that you maybe circle this healed. Revealing your feeling is the beginning of healing. So let me ask you again, do you want to be forgiven or do you want to be emotionally healed? If you just want to be forgiven. You just confess it to God. But if you want to get over this and get on with your life, you're gonna need to be healed and you need to tell somebody else. Say Rick, why why do we do this? Why does God want me to drag somebody else into this? I'll tell you why, because God knows that the root of your problem, listen is relational. Your relationship to God and you're messed up. Relationships to other people are the root of all your problems. And when we don't have one person in our lives that we are completely honest with, we wear masks and we pretend that we all have it, have it all together when everybody knows we don't, and we act like it's all right when it's not, and we deny our true feelings.
Speaker 3: What does that do? It isolates you from other.
Speaker 2: People when you're not authentic, when you're faking it, and it prevents intimacy, and it keeps you from the deepest level of love. You cannot love fully with guilt in your heart. And so what happens is we go around living with shame and living with insecurity. And they, if they really knew, they'd reject me. If they really knew, they wouldn't love me. If they really knew me and what I've done, they wouldn't accept me. And it keeps you caught. Would you write this down? I'm only as sick as my secrets. And the fact is the more you hide, the sicker you get. On the other hand, revealing your feeling is the beginning of healing. And it is amazing that when you find one person that you can trust and you say, I just need to get this off my chest. I don't need you to do anything, just listen to me, and you unveil it. You know what happens. You find that they got big problems too, and often they actually have the same problem you do. And there's something about telling another person that uncorks the pressure valve. When you let the boogeyman out of the closet, all of a sudden, the boogeyman isn't so big anymore. And I say, do I broadcast this everybody? Of course not, of course not. Let me give you some guidelines. Who do you share this with? One person who is a mature believer. Then somebody who's a mature believer that you feel safe with. They're confidential, they can keep a confidence. They are mature enough to respond to you with God's love and forgiveness. They're not going to They're mature enough to not be shocked by anything. They're not gonna judge you. They're going to say to you, you are forgiven in Jesus' name. And there are plenty of people like that, maybe a trusted friend, maybe a small group, member of your small group, maybe a Christian counselor maybe somebody and celebrate recovery. It's absolutely important to be somebody the same sex. Men should confess to men and women should confess to women, because if a man confessed to a woman, it blow her away. Need I say more? And vice versa. So men confess to men and women ask to women, you say, well what do I say?
Speaker 3: Will you just say? You know what? You know?
Speaker 2: I need somebody to come clean with and I don't need you to fix me.
Speaker 3: I don't need you to give me an advice. I just need you to listen to me.
Speaker 2: While I do a little spring cleaning. I've already confessed this stuff to God and I just need to confess it to one other person. And what you do is you share here's what I've done here's how I feel about it, and here's where I want to change.
Speaker 3: That's it. Now.
Speaker 2: You know, if you actually shared this with a mature Christian, they would be honored to hear your confession.
Speaker 3: A truly mature.
Speaker 2: Believer is not going to be blown away by that. They're going to understand the importance of it. They've done it themselves likely and they would be They're not gonna be blown away.
Speaker 3: They're going to be honored by it.
Speaker 2: And if somebody comes to you this week and says, I just need you to hear my confession, because the Bible says confess to one another.
Speaker 3: Then you just listen to them and you love them, and you.
Speaker 2: Say, in the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven. Now, let me tell you something. The secret in your life that you most want to conceal is the secret you most badly need to reveal in order to be healed. If you want healing, there's got to be some revealing. And you got to stop concealing the very thing that you don't want anybody to know about. That's the very area God wants to give you the most grace and the most mercy and the most healing. And you will receive the most joy when you're forgiven. He So I have this compulsion, so what?
Speaker 3: So what? Well? I have this addiction, so what? I have this same sex attraction? So what?
Speaker 2: We're in a broken world. Nothing works right, you can experience God's grace. When do I do this as soon as possible? You don't procrastinate?
Speaker 3: Why because I know what's on the other side of it. Look at this verse.
Speaker 2: What happiness those whose guilt has been forgiven? What happiness? It's like a mountain guilt off your shoulder. The relief, What a relief to those who have confessed their sins and Goddess cleared their record. How do you spell relief? C n fess confess. That's how you find relief. Now there's one other step. I review every area of my life. I repent of the sins I own up to him. I resolve to make restitution. I receive God's forgiveness. He's waiting to it. I reveal my faults to a friend so I can be emotionally healed. And then step six is, oh, by the way, repeat these steps regularly. That's step number six. Repeat the other five regularly. Now you guys, I'm a grandfather. So let me give you some advice. Never procrastinate changing.
Speaker 3: A diaper.
Speaker 2: Because it's all gonna come out in the end. Okay, the longer you procrastinate, the messier it's gonna get. Never put off cleaning up a mess. Let me give you another piece of advice, personal advice. Take a bath every now and then people will like it. You'll smell better if you clean up. If you spend some time cleaning up periodically.
Speaker 3: Good thing.
Speaker 2: Let me give you another piece of advice. Take the garbage out of your kitchen every day.
Speaker 3: What if you only.
Speaker 2: Took the garbage out of your kitchen once a year, your house would stink some of you, your life stinks because you haven't taken the garbage out. Maybe ever, what I I've shared with you, I have done it hundreds and hundreds of times. Personal spiritual, moral inventory. And one of the reasons why God blesses my life is because I try to keep short accounts with God. I'm a very flawed individual. I sin, I make mistakes, I blow it, I'm selfish.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I try to keep short accounts of God.
Speaker 2: And I say God, okay, I don't want to carry in tomorrow the garbage from today, and it's like spiritual breathing. You exhale all the carbon monoxide and you inhale all the oxygen. Friends, God wants to bless your life. I know this from personal experience. God wants to use your life. He wants to bless you, and he wants to make you a blessing to other people. And they say, could God use me? Oh yeah. God uses every kind of vessel. He can use small vessels, he can use plane vessels, he can use ordinary vessels, he can use shy vessels. He even uses broken vessels. But the only thing God will not use is a dirty vessel. And this is a test. Are you willing to do what God tells you to do? Are you willing to do it today? Are you willing to be honest to God and honest with yourself?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I want you to notice one thing. I want you to circle all the lettuce. Let us on this nose here first point. Let us test circle that to Let us.
Speaker 3: Then then look at the next one.
Speaker 2: Let us turn circle the lettuce number point number two, okay, then number four point four. Let us come boldly to find grace where we will find it okay. And then the verse underneath that, let us grasp the fact that we now have peace and reconciliation. And then in this last verse from two point six, you circle the Let us, as I read it, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and full assurance, having our faith, our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience. You don't have that one anymore. Let us hold unsquervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another onto love and good deeds. And let us not give up meeting together. He's talking about small groups, as some are doing, but let us encourage one another. This is a walk through the let us patch. Here's the point, these six steps. We are to take them together. You're not on your own. You're not a lone ranger. You're not out there by yourself. We're all in the same boat. We've all blown it, and we all need forgiveness. We all need cleansing, and God wants to bless us all. We are a church family. We are better together. You need a church home, you need to be connected. If you're not in a small group. You need to join a small group, get connected a small group. If you are not connected spiritually to God and to other people, you're not going to have the strength to do this. We are to do it together. Let us pray say this in your heart, Dear Jesus. I'm tired of carrying this secret guilt and the regrets and the shame around all the time, and I need to unload it. And I need to receive your gift of mercy for my past and grace.
Speaker 3: For my future.
Speaker 2: So God, right now, I am promising you that I will do a personal moral inventory. I'm going to do what Pastor Rick just taught me to do, and I commit in advance to confessing anything you help me. Remember, I want to be clean. I want to be pure on the inside so you can bless me and so you can use me to bless other people. I want a fresh start and I want a clear conscience. So Jesus Christ, come in and clean out every room.
Speaker 3: In my life. I pray this in your name.
Speaker 5: Amen, Hi, this is Pastor Rick.
Speaker 2: If you just pray to accept Jesus Christ into your heart, congratulations, you're now my brother or sister and the Lord and you need to tell somebody, and why don't you tell me? Write to me Rick at Pastorick dot com. Just email me Rick at Pastorick dot com and tell me your story. I would love to read it. And by the way, I'll send you some free material to help you start in your new journey with the Lord God bless you.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's daily Hope. We're so glad you're with us today. Recently, Pastor Rick had our graphic designers create a beautiful frameable version of the Lord's Prayer that you can download for free right now by visiting Pastorick dot com. That's Pastorick dot com. Rick will be back in a moment. But first fall is here and that means Christmas is right around the corner. That's why we want to let you know that Rick and his wife Kay created an advent calendar with specially commissioned custom artwork. It's beautiful. Here's Pastor Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: You know, friends, one of the most common questions that you hear this time of the year is are you ready for Christmas? It's a question that shows how much preparation we think is necessary just to celebrate this holiday and this Holy Day. We think getting ready for Christmas means putting up decorations and buying and wrapping gifts and sending cards and planning meals and helping with school plays and church musicals and office parties, and the list goes on and on, making sure that we help all the people who are in need. But does doing all that really get us ready for Christmas? We'll making it through a checklist, prepare me for celebrating the Birth of Jesus. We both know the answer is no, and we both know that it's too easy to get so caught up in doing too many things, many of them good things, but so many things that we forget the real reason for the season. So you know what, Here at Daily Hope, we've put together a brand new resource that I want you to have. I hope it will help you really get ready for celebrating the Birth of Jesus. It's an advent calendar, a calendar of preparation. And each day on this calendar, you'll open one Bible verse and then you just turn to the corresponding page and a companion book that we've put together, and you read through the very short spiritual growth devotional. Not only takes a couple minutes to read the Bible verse and the devotional, but it's going to prepare your heart for the coming of Christ at Christmas. My hope is at this resource, this advent calendar. Preparing your heart for Christmas will help you spend the holiday expressing your gratitude to God, worshiping instead of worrying, and taking things off your schedule so you can appreciate the true meaning of Christmas. I don't want you to miss the miracle of Jesus this Christmas.
Speaker 1: You'll want to get the Daily Hope Advent Calendar and devotional booklet in your hands now to start using it on December first. This resource is a perfect way to share the gift of Jesus at Christmas with your friends and family, and we'll send it to you to say thanks when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the good news of Jesus Christ to people everywhere. Quantities are limited, so get yours now. Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four to support Daily Hope and we'll send you this powerful resource, or you can visit Pastororrick dot com. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand four or pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.