Speaker 1: All right, let's get it drives on Monday afternoon, about fourteen minutes past the hour, two o'clock, another cloudy and chili may day outside, but temperatures improving throughout the week. We're gonna have a really nice weekend. Memorial Did weekend coming up. But as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride. Spence check, it's Beyond the Mike, Porter Larsen, Beyond the Glass today, producing the show, booking the show. We got a lot of really good guests on the program to get that weekend started out the right way. The week started out the right way. Hope you had a great weekend. Happy Monday to you, and it's good to have you with us on a jam packed edition of the radio show. We have conference final set in Pro basketball and Pro hockey. The Timberwolves and the Thunder will tip off tomorrow. After OKC was able to dispatch of the Denver Nuggets with relative relative ease in Game seven, we'll get to some Game seven takeaways. We'll talk about the future of Nicola Jokicic and the Denver Nuggets. Michael Malone is gonna be on the coverage for ESPN on the Western Conference Finals side of things. The coach that was jettisoned, doubt and sent packing. The New York Knicks actually did it. Yeah, that's right, the New York Knicks actually did it. And it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be since we last spoke on Friday night, it was a massacre in midtown Manhattan, New York one nineteen Boston eighty one. And the Knicks advance onto the Conference finals for the first time in twenty five years. And when last they were there, they faced Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers, and coincidentally enough, this time around they will face the Indiana Pacers once again, this time led by a really good, really good league guard and Tyree Saliburton a bunch of perimeter players that want to fight everybody. So we'll preview the Conference finals and then we'll look back on the actual that took place over the weekend in the world of pro basketball. We'll also talk a little NBA draft a little combine. The Utah Jazz sit at number five, as we of course talked about at nauseum last week. Reports are that Philadelphia is interested in moving on from number three. According to Jeremy Wu from ESPN. The names that are out there attached to this rumor, that's all it is, Kevin Durant and one Lowry marketed. What would you do if you were the Utah Jazz. So we'll talk about some of the potential that the Jazz have to add talent to this roster. We have entered an era of intense parody in the world of pro basketball, which should be good news for a team that plays it's basketball in Salt Lake City, But the Jazz are unprepared to capitalize on it, at least as of now. How can they change that? We'll get into it on the show today the latest mock draft from Jonathan Gavoni. We'll tell you who he has the Jazz draft in at five and go over some rumors, some offseason rumors. As we talked about with with Shawn with Oseda and Crosstalk. Brock Perty got paid. He didn't have chance to really react to that. He is going to make about fifty three mil annually. That I pays him more than Jared Goff, Matthew Stafford, Justin Herbert, names like that, even Lamar. So we'll get to the latest in the world of the NFL offseason. Of course, the conversation about the Tush push continues to make its way throughout the course of NFL rule makers. Nick Siriati gets a multi year contract extension and rookie mini camps going on around the world of the NFL, so we'll get to some of that on the show. RSL has gone with a sneaky strategy of building a soccer team that does not try to score goals. Pretty risky. See if it works out, Cotton, It's not working out. In the meantime, RSL has gone almost two hundred and fifty minutes without a goal. They are winless in their last four. They welcome in the best team in MLS Vancouver will be in town coming up on Saturday. So not Great Bob, Not Great Bob. In the world of Real Salt Lake. We'll get some of that on the show today. Scotti Scheffler wins his third major championship over the weekend at Quail Hollow. The want to Make Your Trophy is his. He did try to break it in half during his celebration. But Tony Fenow finishes tied for nineteenth after the Green Mile got to Tony, but he ends up walking away with a cool two hundred k at a top twenty finish in majors. Do a little golf on the show today as well, So a lot to do on a Monday edition of the program. Happy Monday to you. Our first guest will be Bobby Marks. Bobby's going to be good today to go to walk us through where we're at right now in the world of pro basketball, the parody that has presented itself, and whether or not the Jazz can get involved with other small market teams like Oklahoma City and Minnesota and Indiana and Milwaukee and Denver, etc. And the like. So good day to have Bobby on the show. More Basketball, Tom Haberstrow, our friend Tony Parks will be live in studio. We'll do a bunch of local stuff with Tony, and then Easton Folster, who's the executive director of the UGA. Easton only wants to talk nixt today, but we are going to talk a little PGA champion ship and OLDPGA golf. But our guy, Easton, Utah Local, is a Nick fan, so of course we're gonna do a little of that with our guy today on the program. So Bobby Marks, Tom Haberstrow, Tony Parks, Easton Fallster and me Spence check its all of you, the great listeners and that guy Porter Larson. We were texting during the game on Friday. No part of me thought we were going to see what we actually saw that game was over, I was skeptical. I would say and tell about four minutes left, and then I just started screaming to the TV take the starters out, Tom, please, how'd you digest Friday night?
Speaker 2: Much like that? I mean, I thought the Knicks played really well. I was really confident going into halftime, and I thought that they had the series in hand. But like you, the last ten minutes of the game, I was just like, dude, what we're up by? Like forty points? What are we doing here? And listen. Tom Thibodeau is the coach that has them in the Eastern Conference finals. So the credit is given where it is due. But if you are a Knicks fan, you've also seen teams that have had the wheels fall off because you run the wheels off of them, right, because you don't have the depth. And with Tom Thibodau specifically, that's always kind of been a narrative. So I think people are a little up in arms about it. I'm cognizant of it as well and kind of reacted the same way. But results a result, We've got the Final four NBA edition and I think it should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: It should be a lot of fun. So Conference Finals time in the world of pro basketball. We are high speed ahead to the NBA Draft, a lot to do. Our first guest today will be Bobby Marx, the Great Bobby Marks from ESPN. But before we get to Bobby, courtesy of our good friends, You're good friends, Stewart Prize Picks, it is Todd Now for your opening tip.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Cash in on the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks. Now miss your last chance. You have your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick more or less for your shot to win up to two thousand times your cash. Today you can turn your playoff hot Takes and the tickets to Basketball's Championship Series starting with the playing round. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks win to you and to the take two ticket sweepstakes, which you get you and a plus one at VIP trip to the ship. So here's what you do. You download the Prize Picks at today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and they're gonna hook you up with five dollars. Excuse me, They're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars bet. You not even need to win the bet to get the fifty. It is on the house. So download the Prize Picks at today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and you will get fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars bet. Prize Picks run your game all season long, all right. So in the world of pro basketball, we have the conference final set. It will be OKC and Minnesota coming up tomorrow night six point thirty Mountain time on ESPN, and then on Wednesday night it is New York and Indianapolis from Madison Square Garden at six o'clock Mountain time on TNT. So ESPN has you covered with the West, TNT as you covered with the East. And now we're in a scenario where for the seventh straight year we will have the seventh different NBA champ so where we moved into and I think coming up this offseason will be another example of exactly what pro basketball has done with the new collective bargaining agreement that went into effect a few years ago and will be the reality for another three, four five years, depending on how they decide to traverse the space of intense, extreme parody in the world of basketball in the NBA. Okay, and that was intentional from Adam Silver, who got sick of hearing from owners like if Miami can just add Lebron and Bosh and Golden State can just add Durant to Steph and Clay and Dreymond, we have no prayer, We have no chance. If that's the deal. Okay, there will always be space for the bigger markets and the destination cities to attract players that simply want to live in LA or they want to live in Miami, or they want to live in I'll say New York, although the Knicks and the Nets have been unable to capitalize on really any of that. It's mostly the warm weather, you know, climate friendly cities, namely Los Angeles and Miami's been a benefactor as well. Of course, Phoenix built up a team that was supposed to be good on paper but hasn't been, so that will never change. The Lakers snapped their fingers this year and turned a thirty two year old injury pron Anthony Davis into a twenty five year old Luka Doncic, and stuff like that will never go away. You know, the Lakers are the biggest example of the Celtics two, because the Celtics are the most successful pro basketball team in the history the NBA followed closely behind by the LA Lakers, and there's certainly a debate between those two. You know, you'll always be able to figure it out. The Lakers bridged even George Miken into Kareem into even Wilt, then Kareem, and then of course you go from Kareem then later on to Magic Magic bridges it, you know, later on at Chak and Kobe, and then of course Lebron decides he wants to spend the final few years of his NBA career in Los Angeles and then boom, They've got Luca. So Luca makes them relevant again for another decade, depending on how long he wants to play. So that will never change. But what has changed is the Second Apron has actually legitimately scared billionaires. If you ever wanted to know the answer to the trivia question what scares billionaires that own NBA teams, we have it. It's the Second Apron. Okay, We've already seen the Clippers make a tough decision, Paul George Walks. We've seen the Denver Nuggets allow a lot of the rotational pieces around to Kola Jokicic leave after very successful seasons and try to plug them with that minimum contract. Guys like Russell Westbrook, who looked like he was point shaving during the playoffs this year. It was a atrocious idea the start, as I always say about him, you can have him for free or you know, young players like Julian Strather or Zeke Nasey and trying to surround Jokic with good players to take advantage of his prime. We've already seen teams forced to make very difficult decisions due to financial and economic restraints, and coming up this offseason, we're going to see it again. We're going to see it from the Phoenix Suns, who probably will move on from Kevin Durant. We're probably going to see it from the Boston Celtics. Even if Jason Tatum did not get hurt, we probably would have seen it anyway because a new ownership group, after signing the documents, got an email that said, oh, by the way, if you keep the team next year, the luxury tax bill is half a billion dollars just for the right to have this team who out in the second round. So no ownership is going to agree to that. I wouldn't be stunned if they move on from Balen Brown, because I think they have to. I don't think you have any other chance. Point of me bringing it up is we have entered and have been in now for about three or four years, this new era of NBA basketball. That will continue for another four years or so, and it might not continue after that because there are enough people that don't really love and look, let's call it what it is. It's a hard cap. And I can remember when the new CBA became a reality. I was kind of reviewing some of the numbers and some of the information. I thought to myself, this is a hard cap. They're just not saying it out loud. And ultimately, if you talk to guys around the league, yes, that's what it is. It is a hard cap. At a certain number, you are hard capped, period and then you have to make tough decisions. So we've been in this reality for a while and teams like the Denver Nuggets and the Milwaukee Bucks, and what we have now is the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Indiana Pacers, and Oklahoma City, who has positioned it not just now but for the future, will throw San Antonio in there as a as a result of their lottery luck. Let's call it what it is. There will be a bunch of teams in markets even smaller than ours, not necessarily analogous stars, but smaller than ours, that our position to have a chance to win the thing every year for the next four or five years. Here's the bad news. The Jazz are simply not prepared to take advantage of what the league has created for teams that play in cities like Salt Lake. They have failed to put themselves in a situation where they can capitalize on the new reality of NBA basketball. Does it mean that they'll fail forever? No, it doesn't. Does it mean that they have a ton of work to do to even be relevant? Yeah, it does. And that starts with a draft, which leads me to this. The reports over the weekend or that San Antonio and look, these are only reports. Okay, we're just talking about rumors. It's a great thing about sports soccer radio. You can just kind of dig into some of this stuff. No idea if any of this will come to fruition. But the reports over the weekend out of San Antonio is that they are to take Dylan Harper. They're prepared to take Dylan, let him grow next to Sefan Castle, learn from Daron Fox. Kind of like a backup quarterback situation, you know, kind of like Jackson Dark in New York sitting behind Russell Wilson, mister unlimited, our guy before he is given the starting job, maybe in a couple of years. So if san Antonio is no longer entertaining, Moving off of two, what happens with Philliot three and Jeremy Wu from ESPN Reporter this morning and I retweeted it if they still call it that the Philadelphia seventy six ers are willing to move on from three And the names that he threw out there were Kevin Durant and Lowry Markenden. Now, when you look at the books of the Philadelphia seventy six Ers, there isn't anything that makes this trade possible outside of a Tyrese Maxi Paul George throw in. I don't think they're gonna trade him beat. I think they've done the calculation that when he's healthy, he's still very special. But just hypothetically speaking, if you're the Jazz, do you entertain that to even entertain trading Lowry for three straight up? Which is a really tough thing to do. Larry's about to turn twenty eight. I think he actually has a birthday coming up or close to this day. He'll be twenty eight throughout the course of this year, and that is kind of smack dab in the middle of your prime, with maybe a couple of years left of your prime. And if for honest, he doesn't fit the timeline as far as when this team could even be relevant again because they're not close. So do you pull the ripcord with clearly your best player to grab another high pick and then send the message to the fan base like, yes, it's going to be rough for a while, but at least we have a couple of building blocks we feel good about. Because I don't see a pathway forward. Not to quote Quinn Sider when he decided he didn't want to work for this new ownership group, I just don't see another pathway forward for the Utah Jazz based off the roster they have right now. And there is urgency because there are enough people that don't love this CBA and what it's done to balance out the parody and pro basketball that it might change in four years. I don't know that that's another time for the Jazz to put something together to capitalize on the ability to roster construct in a smaller market that's not a destination. Conference finals are sets in both the NBA and the NHL. We'll do some hockey a little bit later. The Utah Mammoth set to draft fourth overall is the NHL draft will take place after the NBA draft. The Jazz did not get the same luck as the hockey club, and our next guest will walk us through the potential offseason for the Jazz. As we talked some basketball with one of our favorites on a Monday afternoon, Bobby Mark's Happy Monday, sir, How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: We're all right? I mean, let's just start here. The lottery's rigged and everybody hates the Jazz and we can't catch a break, so let's just start with the scripted world of the NBA. Bobby, Well, you.
Speaker 4: Can probably add Washington and Detroit last year and the list of teams. Listen, you have a better chance. How the the reformed lottery odds are you have a better chance of not picking in the top three than picking in the top three. I think they had like a fifty chance of picking at five. So yeah, it is, it is. I would say it's probably not designed to reward some of the top teams. And just like the lead in general right now, there is a lot of parody when it comes to the process of the.
Speaker 1: Lottery for sure. And Xenik was great with the media afterwards because everybody keeps saying they fell to five, and Justin's like, well, we actually had a better chance of drafting five than we had. It won, right, but you know the deal out here, when you're asked as a fan base to suffer through literally the worst season the Jazz have ever had, you're just kind of hoping for more of a reward. So kind of your thoughts on where we find ourselves with the Jazz as they enter the off season with two first round picks and a number of decisions Bobby the need to be made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, you're right, I mean I do think Listen, I think there's a ton of options, certainly with with with the draft as far as the picks that you have have, not just in June, but certainly all the you know, the draft assets that you have in the future, and you have a little bit of everything, as far as you know some expiring contracts, uh, you know your younger players that you're still trying to trying to figure out. As far as you know who are your foundational players. You've got the Kessler extension to figure out. We'll see who becomes available this offseason. As far as what big named player or players, and I think there'll probably be a few. Doesn't make sense kind of dipping your toe in that water or that deep end there as far as for that, because you do have you do have the assets here? You know, it's I think the biggest thing I think is I said this to Joe Cronin, who's there a Trailblazer's jam. I saw them in the uh the elevator in Chicago for the Combine and they had a nice season, you know, they they won thirty six games, And I said, the biggest thing that you can give to a fan base is hope. I think if that's the biggest thing as far as hope and a clear direction as far as where the roster is going. And I think I think and you're if you're in Utah, that's that, you know, that's the sense of direction here because as you know, going in the you know, you know, lottery or you know, bottoming out and trying to get a top three picks. Certainly, if that's the goal for next year, we already went through it. It's you know, it's it's trying to put a needle in a haystack as far as you know, as far as getting one of those A level players that will be available again next year, right, I mean, they're going to get a good player at where they are is a keeper flag Probably not, but they're They're still going to be in a there's still going to be in a position to get a good player with their lottery pick. And they're and a good player where they are in the in the early twenties.
Speaker 1: I can tell you. And look, I don't pretend to speak for every jazz fan, but I don't feel like there is a lot to hope, Bobby right now for the organization, at least on the outside looking in. And I still have friends over there, and I know how disappointed they were that they didn't get better luck. And and ultimately I wonder what you make of the possibility of them being a little bit bold this offseason and utilizing the bevy of assets and clean books to maybe add a couple veterans tex But either growth of the young players, or do you think this is going to be an arduous, painful process that will last for another three four years.
Speaker 5: Listen, if if you honest became available, just hypothetically talking it would it would be negligant, negligent not to put a phone call in to see what the price would be, not just with Utah but the other the other twenty nine players.
Speaker 4: If Trey Young became available, or you know, you know, there's I think I think it has a lot of it has to do with what's left of the roster. Do we still have options to add or whatever. If we go out and get two players, we basically we wiped cleaned as far as what we have left and what happens if one of those players leaves when they can become a free agent two years or three years from now, and well, we basically starting from from ground zero again here. So I think they'll, you know, I think they'll be aggressive. I think you always have to be aggressive here. But being aggressive and being able to go out and do a deal and being comfortable doing it is two different things that you know, listen to the Western Conference as a bear, I mean it is not even like you know, you would love to be in a position where Detroit was a year ago, and certainly where you know, listen, they the worst record and they still picked fifth in the lottery or in the draft, and they but they were able to triple their wins because they had a foundation player in Kate Cunningham. That's the problem where where Utai is right now is it's different than having Shay in Oklahoma City and having three lean years and basically go out and draft, jail and check and add other players with the roster. And then with Detroit you get a healthy cad and you had shooting and you got Thompson, Dorian and Ivy and Holland and you know you got you know, the both Beasley and Harris. Like that's that is the biggest achilles I look at when it's with when it's in Utah, it's not you know, roster management and all that stuff. It's like, who is the blue chip guy that you can plan a flag on the hill and say this is our franchise player. There is none. I mean, that's the reality of it right now. And when you have that, that gives the fans hope that you can build around that player.
Speaker 1: For sure. There was one piece of actually official business, Bobby, that happened out here since you and I last spoke, and Will Hardy had already had his fourth and fifth year options picked up, so it's not like he was a lame duck. However, they decided to extend him through twenty thirty one and if he coaches throughout his entire contract, he'll have a nine year runway, which never happens. So I was I was a bit surprised. I'm not gonna lie, although I've been very impressed with Will. I mean, I don't know what's not to like, but your thoughts on what the Jazz decided to do extend you Will Hardy through twenty thirty one.
Speaker 4: I just think it's the market. You know, it's almost like a player that you kind of know what the market's going to be if you ever that coach was ever out there, and especially if he was going in with two years or on an expiring I just think that he is extremely valuable, not just in Utah, but I think he's extremely valuable how teams look at him, certainly, whether it be and I know he's under contract, whether it been a team like Phoenix or some of these other potential openings, I think it's rewarding him for basically going through this rebuild that there they were, you know that they're going through and we'll probably could potentially be going through again next year here. So I do think I think that kind of comes hand in hand as far as why, you know, you just didn't exercise the options, but you probably go out and send him all.
Speaker 1: Right, Moving back to where the league finds itself as it pertains to the way they determine draft order. As a result of the data we have since twenty nineteen, where the worst team in the league does not it has not been rewarded with the number one overall pick, and so many teams have fallen while other teams have risen. Do you think that will change the approach of teams like the Jazz this year that were just unserious about winning? And look, we even Bobby, we even got a little bit of a mission from Xenik after the season. Jay Z was addressing the media and he said something like, we did everything we could to position ourselves with the best chance possible. Right, it was the closest we got to a front office guy actually admitting what they did. And look, I get it, as you know, I mean, I get the deal. I know what you can and can't say. But now that we know that that guarantees nothing, do you think we'll see a team out here that actually, I don't know, for lack of a better phrase, puts their best foot forward.
Speaker 4: I think in a perfect world, you would like to be where san Antonio was this year as far as in a position to contend for playing and then you find yourself in that eat range and listen they go to two. I mean, there's no guarantee you're going to go to two. I mean Dallas wins a playing game and loses in the plant playing final and gets to the more pick, and they were eleven. So there there has to be substantial growth. And I'm not saying substantial growth where you're basically trading five first round picks for a player that maybe wins you five or six more games. But I don't think there is I don't think there is anything wrong with putting yourself in a position where even if you're in the eleventh or twelfth position and you're contending for one of the final plays, because the history has shown that you can still move up in the lottery, and you probably have a better chance of moving up in the lottery than what then where you are as far as four and five, I've lived through it. I mean I lived through it in twothy ten in New Jersey and the lottery odds were different. I mean we were twelve and seventy and woind up getting the third pick in the draft. So I under I totally understand it as far as why they went about doing it and why teams go about doing it here, But it is getting to a point where you do have to kind of you know, you're man shoot when they trade down it in twenty twenty two every four years coming up. Yeah, and this was actually like the first real true rebuild because you overachieved the first two years and stuff. So, but I do think you can put something on the court where you can win games and still be in a position to draft pretty high.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know you're not a hot take guy, which I appreciate about you. You know, what you do is a great job of educating us about what's actually happening as opposed to what you think should happen. But since we're in this weird space in Salt Lake, moving into the fourth year of a rebuild or a two years tear, whatever it is, it's four years since they were good. Do you like the way the league goes about the draft process. Do you like the fact that they are trying to dissuade teams from being unseerious about the endeavor and encouraging front offices to have integrity about their approach. There's the NFL model where they simply reward and inverse orders there's a ton of think you know, pieces out there about what they should or should not do. What do you think about the way the league approaches the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I could, I could, I would be on board with rewarding a team. You know, basically the NFL model as far as going by you know, the standings, as far as you know, we ever finished worse. We let's eliminate the lottery and say, but if you finish with the first pick, then you are basically there's a void as far as you finishing first the following year, right, like you're you don't have the option to get number one consistently here, or there's a there's a there's a kind of a penalty system there. I don't think the league will ever do that, But listen, if we're going to do based it off just standings wise, then we could see the same teams in the top three all the time. Right, it just keeps on spitting out the same scenarios and everything like that, because there's because there is no incentive to win to win games there. I understand why the league did it. I get it and everything like that, but we still saw teams this year, you know, and I saw ted Leones is the owner of the Wizard to be like, oh, we weren't tanking stuff, we were developing guys, and great, that's another way of using that. But there's also like when you're not playing guys who are healthy and or you're playing guys, or you're treating games like like preseason games and guys play twenty minutes and you don't play them when you're leading in the fourth quarter. There is that is Yeah, that's probably you screw around the integrity of the game a little bit here. So I don't know what to fick the rule. You know the right way to go about doing it. Here. You're trying to find a fine balance here, but you would like to see teams because it eventually like you're just basically running in mud forever. As far as if you're not if you don't land one of these top like a top pick here, but you still have the position. As I said, you can still get a good player at five if you do your work and you develop him right and it fits in there. I mean that it just puts a little more pressure on the organization.
Speaker 1: One more thing here. Then we'll move on to teams that are actually still playing you know, San Antonio two is interesting only because if it is the Dylan Harper kid, there might be some redundancy on that roster with Stefan Castle and Daron Fox. But the reports are that they're going to hang on to two and draft him and let him develop, which is probably the right thing to do. A lot of people out here wondering if there's a way the Jazz could utilize the assets in their back pocket to move up. I don't know if Phillya three is an option. Do you think anybody in front of the Jazz would be open to moving their pick?
Speaker 4: Oh? I would think so. I mean certainly, I think outside of Dallas at one, I think if it if it makes sense. You know, Dylan Harper's is a really nice player. But if you're will to move some of that, excuse me, that Cleveland or Minnesota draft equity or that Phoenix one that's kind of the golden ticket in thirty one, I think there's a way for you to get up there. I think it's just a matter of how much separation do you feel Dylan Harper is compared to what you can get at number five. I think that's that's the big that's the big question is and is it worth in that type of deal compared to something that maybe could become available down the road. So when you have the equity like Utah does and some of these other teams, yeah, I think there's options to do that as far as you know getting up there and you know, but it's it will it will cost you. I mean, that's the big thing. It will cost you to move up, you know, whether it be three spots or two spots.
Speaker 1: All right, Bobby. Last Thursday, I went to bed and uh, I was tossing and turning, picturing Charles Smith missing four layups, picturing Anthony Mason throwing a ball to Reggie Miller, picturing Patrick Ewing having a finger roll. Go off is go off the back of the rim pick and John starts shooting three of eighteen. And no part of me thought the New York Knicks were winning on Friday night, even without Jason Tatum. That's just the deal with this organization that I've been a part of since I was ten years old, and I'm thrilled to have a Nick team Tocher four. I wonder what you make of the way they've got about this roster construction and who jalen Is and the way Tom has been able to traverse this space in New York back in the Conference finals for twenty five years, facing that same Indiana Pacer team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing. I was a senior in Cow. I think I just graduated when that infamous Game seven happened, when the Ewing Kinger roll rolled off the rim there. So I do remember that series, the multiple series during the nineties. Well, New York is different than three other three teams that are left Oklahoma City, Indiana and Minnesota eight deep, right in, eight really good players. As far as how they're maybe okay, she's a little deeper. New York is really reliant on their five. You know they're starting five. Uh, they play a ton of minutes. We know that you've seen a little bit of Robinson, I mean a lot of Robinson certainly in that Boston series and then you sprinkle and induce McBride here. They're heavily reliant on on Brunson, as we know. I think they get they run into trouble when the ball sticks and is not there's you know, the others basically are standing around. I do think that series is going to be reliant on how involved Hounds is. You saw in game six when he is involved and he's aggressive in the beginning, and he's not just standing on the perimeter. They're pretty dangerous here. I do find it funny that people in New York and I am from Northern Jersey have basically kind of penciled them and everything finals, because Man Indiana is a good team. I mean, they are real, they're fun, they have there, They can play any way you want. They can go up and down, they can they can try to get physical with you. I thought they were more physical than clear One, but New York is, yeah, I mean New York is kind of a different way. As far as how they constructed their roster. They went, they went all in with bridges and they flipped you know, certainly Dante and Julius four towns and as I said, they're really heavy. You know, they're a team that really can't sustain. If they have an injury to one of your core guys, they're going to be in trouble where maybe you can say if lou Dord or you know, or Alex Crusoe get hurt in Oakland City, that they can still get by Minnesota. Hear so it's an interesting way that Leona has been able to put that roster together. You're right, I didn't. I did think, even without Tatum, that that game was going to go back to game Boston for Game seven, just because I thought Boston was the better team throughout the series, even when even when Tatum went down, I thought they still had enough to But you know, give them credit for getting to a conference finals.
Speaker 1: Tell me this, Bobby. I mean, look, I've known Tom Thibodeau for years. He was an assistant under Jeff and I respect the man immensely, and of course I would never second guess anything but your reference how reliant they are on their five. Yeah, when it's one hundred and ten to seventy four, like with six minutes left, can we just go ahead and set aside the ethos and maybe take the guy like, are you watching thinking the same thing I am? When it's like a forty point game with six minutes left.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny. It's it's one of those where like when you're sitting in a stand, I'm sure and I think Beyonce, it's like four rowers behind them. It's almost like one of those games where you'd like give a little a note to like, you know, one of the court side attendants to just give it to one of the assistants to like pull these guys please, right, like they're lucky. Listen, they're lucky that nobody because if you got someone got hurt. I mean, can you imagine if it's a og pulled a hamstring or somebody got hurt, now it would have been he would have been and you know certainly that would have been widely scrutinized over the next week.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do think that is especially when the other teams kind of pulls their own guys, right, I mean when the other white waves or white flag, it's like, okay, we're done right, Like put our guys in. There's no way a team has come back from not thirty five to forty points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't need to see Jalen fighting over a Xavier Tillman pick. Please, Like, what are we doing here? But let's move out. Let's move out this way, Bobby, I wonder what you make of the way Minnesota has been able to go about their business. And look, I mean it's interesting out this way because I'm watching Donovan with a great I mean, obviously it didn't end well with Cleveland, but Rudy's been great, Conley's been great, Like all the ex Jazz guys I have gone on to really play well for teams. And I'm thrilled for Rudy, and I cheer for Mike who doesn't. But what do you make and luck? Obviously it's different with Stephan Curry, but kind of the same question the way Minnesota has gone about this roster construction and what do you think their chances are against Okase in the conference final?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's interesting. You get to a conference finals a year ago and usually you would roll back, and you know, Atlanta did it a few way back when and it kind of hurt them a little bit. Minnesota was different because they from a financial angle, they were extremely extremely expensive, and to basically break up towns into two players with Randall and Devincenzo, I think it was important to them because from a flexibility standpoint. Listen, we did not know that this Minnesota team could get to a conference finals because we didn't think that the fit. Maybe the fit wasn't working with Randall when you had of him with Gobar. Randall has been you know, certainly Edwards is their best player, but he's been at least their second best player and it hasn't been close down the stretch and in the playoffs, and he has played extremely, extremely well. It's a deep team. You know, when you have Devincenzo, Alexander Walker and Nasri coming off your bench, it gives you a lot of interchangeable parts as far as what they're able to do. We saw it in the Golden State series. We saw it in the Lakers series. They become a little too heavy reliant shooting three. I would love to see him just you know, when ants going downhill and attacking the basket, he is like he's dangerous because he can do so many different things. You can get to the basket or maybe become a facilitator. I do think they do get themselves in a little bit of trouble when when you when they are so reliant on shooting from deep, it's going to be a great series. It really is like okay, I mean you okay, see comes at you in waves right like they basically you know, it was twelve to twenty four to ten yesterday down and normally you'd be like, oh boy, this team is going to be in trouble at Game seven at home. They're tight, but they basically come and I know Denver was certainly nicked up. They come at you with waves, you know, Wallace for dort Right, they can go double bigs, Caruso. They can put on basically any of the five players here. So it is going to be, you know, both years are going to be really, I think, really really competitive, a couple of different, you know, contrast styles. I think it's great for the league where we are parody wise, that some one of these teams will win a championship, some for the first time, another for the first time in fifty plus years.
Speaker 1: Bobby, last thing that will set you loose. I started out the show with this, and I want you to kind of expand on it and help us understand where we're at in pro basketball from a macro viewpoint of an era of great parody, where markets such as ours have been able to roster construct elsewhere to win championships in the CBA, I believe expires in twenty thirty, which gives another five year window with this landscape for teams that operate in cities like ours that have been able to do really great things. How does the current landscape benefit a team that plays in Salt Lake, and you think the Jazz can capitalize on it before the NBA decides to maybe pivot in twenty thirty.
Speaker 4: I think how it helps Utah and other cities is that there's three elements as far as roster building. There's the draft, there is the trade market, and then there's free agency. And the under the CBA, free agency is a distant third. Uh, it's it's probably we wouldn't maybe even put it in there because it's it's really nonexistent. And I think that helps. I think that helps some of these these markets that aren't Los Angeles or New York or Miami or you know other other you know, San Francisco with Golden State here that if you draft, you developed, and you retain, you're gonna have a chance the herd. The hard part is you got to draft, well, right like you got to draft, You got to hit on your picks and stuff like that and draft players and then because then it gives you the functionality to go out and add a play or to like Indiana was able to do right. Indiana's you know, I know they made they swapped Halburn for or sabonas for Halburn. But then they were able to go out and and you know, in draft Mathron and they got trade the Nie Smith and they traded for Siakam and they're still in a really good position here. So the drafting and developing sets up for when that player becomes available, and it's just a matter of you going out and doing it. But I do think it eliminates, you know, for most part, free agency and all these teams gobbling up these superstars and stuff, and it gives you the ability to extend with your own team and stay with your own team for the long haul and stuff like that. So I do think there's some advantages. I think there's a lot of advantages there too, but it's more of that you now you have to capitalize on that.
Speaker 1: Well, Bobby, I appreciate the time has been such a fun playoff. Excited for the conference finals and let's get you back on soon. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: Sounds good. Good talk with you, all right.
Speaker 1: The great Bobby Marks, the ESPN front office insider, spend a number of years with the new Jersey nets. That's right, kids, look it up. Does a great job of kind of helping us understand the landscape of the league. Got Bobby Marks forty two is where you find them on social Brought to you today by our friends at IFA Country Stores. When the seasons change, if you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy, green lawn and you'll turn to the experts at IFA. Check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your yard a hit. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move at IFA and IFA Dot co Op. No NBA basketball tonight. I don't even know what I'm gonna do. Conference final start tomorrow and they continue on Wednesday. Happy Monday to our guy Tom Haberstrow, who joins now to talk some ball. Tommy, what's going on? Man? Tom Aberstrow?
Speaker 4: All right here?
Speaker 7: I had myself on mute. I was it was a rookie move. I had myself on mute and I was talking, and you were like, hey, can I hear you? When I was like, is my take that the last of Us episode that I watched that I can't watch tonight? Do you have any last of Us takes? Are you watching that show?
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 4: Have you?
Speaker 1: Have you made your way through righteous Gemstones?
Speaker 4: So that's on my to do list this offseason.
Speaker 7: I know, I know, just don't, just don't. I know it, everybody, all my buddies are I can't believe because, like, if you did an algorithm of like things that I like, comedies shows, HBO shows, whatever, it would all point to the Righteous said Stones. And I haven't started it yet. And I'm sorry, I apologize. That is number one on my big board.
Speaker 1: You do not have to apologize to me, but you can count me among the people. We're not best buds, but it does seem like Rascius Gemstones would be right down your alley. I mean, I'm a like anything McBride does, I'll give it a chance, you know, vice principles, whatever it is, I'm gonna watch Danny McBride.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 7: I think I think right now the NBA it's a great time to be an NBA fan because we've got some new fresh blood. We've got the whole Cooper Flag dynamic. There's a lot of storylines with the Luka Doncic stuff. We've got some new blood.
Speaker 4: But I got to say, at this point in the postseason, I think everyone deserves a little bit of a beat, a little bit of a break.
Speaker 7: And so last night having no game and then tonight not having a game.
Speaker 4: I think it's good for all. I'm not saying it's Aaron Gordon. Where Aaron Gordon is now after losing, saying we need more rest than the postseason. I'm not saying I'm taking a page out of Aaron Gordon's book. I'm just saying, Look, I think for everyone's health and their families and their loved ones, it'll be good to get some FaceTime with them this evening. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 1: What if you're single and your only child is twenty three, living in New Canaan, Connecticut, and not in Salt Lake. What if you have literally nothing to do and no family to interface with.
Speaker 4: You're asking for a friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, not me, not me, Tom, I'm just a buddy of mine.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, you can pull up some old clips. You know, you can pull up whatever you want. And that's a great thing about the NBA is there's a plenty of libraries there on NBA dot Com or if you want, on all the streaming platforms, there's lots of content you can watch on the NBA if you need to fill that void.
Speaker 1: In your life or could you do me a favor and go to the archive of the Staples Wreckers and see if you can give me nineteen ninety four New Canaan at Staples Spence check its versus p Van Sicklin. Can you can you do that?
Speaker 4: What is a website error message for h or not? Now, that's what that is. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Fair enough? All right, Tom, I've got kind of a loaded question, but you'll be good with this. I started the show off today with you know, we're about to have our seventh NBA champion seven years. When you look at some of the teams that have won championships, it's Milwaukee, it is Denver, and ultimately this year we have Minnesota, we have Oklahoma City, we have Indianapolis, all in the final four, which means this era of parody should benefit teams at play in cities such as ours. Now. The problem is the Jazz are not ready to capitalize on what other teams have been able to position themselves to capitalize on. The new CBA expires in five years. We have Bobby Marks on last segment, we kind of walked through this, So explain to us why we have seen this parody manifest itself in basketball, and how the Jazz can position themselves to capitalize on this era the way that other small, small market teams have.
Speaker 4: Here's how you do it.
Speaker 7: You build up your medical staff. There's no cap on your medical staff. And this parody era is lipstick on a pig. The parody label is a nice, warm propaganda term to say, all our stars are injured these days, and that's what's dictating these non repeats and new champions every year. Because guys like Jason Tatum, or if it's Jiannis, or if it's Kevin Durant in the twenty nineteen NBA Finals, or it's Klay Thompson in the twenty nineteen NBA Finals, if it's Chris Middleton with the Milwaukee Bucks, if it's Drew Holliday this year in Jason Tatum, these repeat quests are more a result of stars getting injured.
Speaker 4: Then I think what's being led on and we can say this.
Speaker 7: Is the era of you know, the CBA, that the second Apron and the Big Three era is done. I would argue that this is more of a function of NBA stars are getting hurt and not on our TV screens than it is more of this, like good competitive balance measures, and I think that's not a fun story to tell. It's an important story to tell. It's an accurate, accurate story to tell that the repeat champions or the reigning champions, I should say in that seven years are more injury riddled than not. So when we look at the Boston Celtics and why they they've felt in that series, there's two reasons. One they got really cold shooting, and two they had no Jason Tatum, a banged up Drew Holiday who was missing playoff games earlier in the series. In the playoffs, he had also Christaps Porzingis, who was a shell of himself. Right, the Knicks were healthy, they played great, but the Boston Celtics are not repeat champions mostly because of the fact that they didn't shoot well and that they weren't healthy. And that really is the big story here is when you're talking about parody in the NBA, it's not a thing of competitive balance, no matter what they sell you. It's more about three point shooting has taken over the league, and because of that, there's more variance in who wins in a series. And if you look at every series, this postseason.
Speaker 4: Almost all of them have been.
Speaker 7: Won by the team that shot better from downtown, almost every single one. And so when you have the three ball mattering this much and injuries mattering this much in the postseason, I just wrote a column for Yahoo Sports that injuries in the postseason have increased sevenfolds since the late nineteen nineties.
Speaker 4: Injuries to star players, all star players.
Speaker 7: Have increased sevenfold since the late nineteen nineties and fivefold since as recently as two thousand and eight. So that is why we're not having these repeat champions.
Speaker 4: As much as we want to say it's about, oh, everyone's got a chance, Well everyone's got a chance because stars that matter more in basketball than any other sport, star players are not being available because of injuries and three point shooting, and so I think that's more of a reason. And if you're a.
Speaker 7: Utah Jazz, sayan, I would say, make sure your training staff is as good as the New York Knicks is one, because they just got the Traders Award this year. The Traders Association Athletic Trainers Association give out the Athletic Training Association Award and going to the healthiest or the best training staff in the league, and it just got awarded to the Knicks today and they got Casey Smith from the Dallas Mavericks, which is one of the reasons why a legend Luka Doncic was moved at the deadline, was because Casey Smith, who was one of the best and most well regarded training staff head athletic trainers in the NBA that was as close to Dirknovsky as anybody who was a part of the staff when they won the twenty eleven NBA Finals against the Miami Heat. That guy just got the award for the New York Knicks. And I think that this is an important storyline for the franchises that are in Charlotte, where I'm based, and in Utah and in Memphis and New Orleans. You gotta ramp up your medical staffs because that is the most important ingredient when it comes to winning championships. Is not just having stars, yes we all know that, but making sure those stars are healthy and well supported by your performance of medical staff. That's going to dictate as much as getting the star is making sure that they're able to play in June, in May, and in April. And that is a big storyline that no one's talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, Tom, I didn't invite you on to completely sabotage my rundown of the show today. Okay, so you're not necessarily wrong. The problem with talking about that through the prism of where the Jazz file themselves is all due respect to the current roster, none of them really have to stay healthy for them to do anything special. So I guess I'll try to change maybe the angle in the direction. But I do want to get back to what you just said, because I'm wondering what your thoughts are and why we're seeing this. But when it comes to the jazz perspective, is there anything that we can't ascertain from the current landscape of the NBA that is positive for this fan base to look at through the prism of what Okac has built, and Minnesota has built, and Indianapolis is built, and Milwaukee winning a title and Denver winning a title. Is there anything about all of that that this fan base should look at as a positive piece of news for the future of this organization as they continue to try to roster construct Well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's good news that we have injuries to star players, because if you don't have a great team, or if you're trying to rebuild and you know, strike hit the lottery, not ands sarily the trap lottery. We don't have to revisit that from last week.
Speaker 4: But the point is, if you are a.
Speaker 7: Mid tier title contender like the Indiana Pacers or the Minnesota Timberwolves that were not in my top tier all season long at Tomdefiner dot com, you have a better shot in today's era when Jason Tatum and Jamian Lillard tear their achilles in the postseason, like you have a better chance at making a run and having things break your way if star players are getting into your more so, if the Utah Jazz want to look at this era and say, hey, it's a shorter path because of this, I would agree with you. I would also say that when you have a guy like Will Hardy who believes in three pointers and has a shot pro file of you know, having smart taking your shots from smart places on the floor, rim get to the free throw line, and three pointers. This is the modern way to play. And you're seeing that games are being dictated by three pointers a lot more. And he believes that, like Will Hardy.
Speaker 4: Is is wise to the importance of the three point shot.
Speaker 7: That doesn't mean that he he is okay with Walker Kessler taking toad threes a game that we saw a little cameo of that at the end of the season, and we might know why.
Speaker 4: That was happening.
Speaker 7: But I think when you look at the Utah Jazz and this more open playing open season for the championship, it might not be as long of a runway as it was in previous generations and the thunder or evidence of that. And I also think that the Indiana Pacers, you remember they were in the Webby sweepstakes like they were gonna be a team that was the tank and they kind of were too good for that. It wasn't long ago that the Indiana Pacers were considered Vegas's the lowest number in the over unders by by Vegas. There was only a couple of years ago. And so now they are one of the last four teams remaining for a second straight year. And I think there's a good lesson there for Utah Jazz that this can turn around quickly.
Speaker 1: So we talked to you, I think our first NBA guest after the bad news that the Jazz did not get a little luck last week and they a cheap, hesitating to say they fell to five because the percentages said that was the best possible out or not. The most likely possible outcome was four or five, So that was their floor. So they didn't get the luck, but they actually landed where the numbers said they probably would land. Here's my question, Tom, because we've already seen a couple of reports, one from our local b rider here the Deseret News, Sarah Todd. The Jazz are going to do whatever they can to try to move up, and they're gonna try to be bold. They've got all the assets. You will see how that looks or what it looks like. But who in the top five we can remove Dallas? Because Patrick Dumont was like, we're keeping one. We're drafting Cooper flag No, Nico, you can't trade it. So that's already kind of done. So if we move Dallas, who in front of the Jazz is most likely to move up? And you think the Jazz can get something like that done.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at San Antonio. San Antonio at number two. They already have Dared Fox and Stefan Castle and Dylan Harper is considered the favorite to go number two before the draft lottery and we'll see what happens. And if the San Antonio Spurs move down, right, would they want someone on the Utah Jazz roster right now in to trade down from two to five And would they be willing to part with let's say Lowry Marketing or John Collins or another veteran that would be appealing to a team that's trying to win, as we saw with dearon Fox acquisition. They're trying to win now. And if if it's gonna be Lowry Marketing on the table for Dylan Harper, I don't know. I think the Utah.
Speaker 7: Jazz would be very wise to try to go get a Dylan Harper, but if it comes to the cost of marketing, I can understand why he would be very appealing to the Spurs and why Dylan Harper would be very appealing to the Utah Jazz to get like their point guard, whether you want to say hybrid guard of the future, that would make sense from a personnel standpoint. I just don't know if the Utah Jazz would move marketing for Dylan Harper. I don't know if he's that much of the knockdown or a home run draft prospect. But in terms of the needs of this San Antonio Spurs as getting a knockdown three point shooter, A big like Harrison Barnes is like a poor man's version of Larry Markinen. Larry Markin is a star version of Harrison Barnes, a big guard who can shoot the rock and play multiple positions. When you got like Larry Markinen and Victor Webbin Yama next to each other, that's really impressive. That's a really tough to guard front line. They're big and you don't need as much shot blocking if you're Larry Marketing when you got Wemby right there behind you. He's like a soup up version of Walker Kessler back there. So that's I would ask for more if I'm the San Antonio, if I'm the Utah Jazz, if I'm gonna move Larry Markinen. But that seems like two teams that are on different trajectories, and you could imagine them trying to move up, But I can't imagine the San Antonio Spurs are gonna move down for John Collins or something like that. So it would be tough for me to see the San Antonio Spurs unless Larry Markin is on the table, all.
Speaker 1: Right, moving over now to teams that are still playing, and I wonder, and I talked to Bobby about this, and you'll get it, you know. Visions of Charles Smith missing four layups in a row. No, he was not fouled. Visions of Anthony Mason literally throwing an in bounce past to Reggie Miller, who stepped back and hit a three when Greg Anthony fell down. Visions of Patrick Ewing's finger roll bouncing off the back of the rim against the Pacers, John Starts going three of eighteen, and pat Riley refusing to just take Rolando Blackman off ice for a minute. All of those things dancing through my Nick fan head. So no part of me thought we were going to see a blowout on Friday night, Yet we did. What stands out most, Tom, outside of the Tatum stuff, which we know has to be brought into the equation, but the way the Knicks have been able to do this and build this roster that brings them back to the Conference finals, what stands out most to you.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's Jalen Brunson. This guy is unreal, the way.
Speaker 7: That he has dominated in fourth quarters this postseason and in clutch time.
Speaker 4: It's remarkable.
Speaker 7: It's it's a testament to Leon Rose and Tom Thibodeau and Worldwide West and the fact that they believe so much in Jalen Brunton to tamper whatever you want to call it, hire his father to the coaching staff under Tom Thibodeau, and send a whole fleet of people to go watch that game that they thought it was about Donovan Mitchell when it's more about Jalen Brunson. To go and acquire that guy and then say, not only is he going to be an All Star for us, but he's going to be one of the best, if not the best playoff performer in a couple of years. Because that's the level that Jalen Brunton has been playing this postseason, averaging twenty nine points per game and in the fourth quarters. In fourth quarters this postseason, Jalen Brunson has over one hundred points.
Speaker 4: He has one hundred and.
Speaker 7: Fourteen points this postseason and the next highest guy has seventy six. So Jalen Brunson in the fourth quarter shooting fifty one percent from the floor, forty eight percent from downtown and has more points than anybody by forty by by by about forty points. That's insane.
Speaker 4: And he's not a big.
Speaker 7: Dude, and so I can understand why people looked at Jalen Brunson and said he's undersize, he's not athletic enough. But the dude's a winner and he's proven time and time again that he's been able to step up in last postseason against the Indiana Pacers getting hurt and just not being able to finish the season. I can't wait for this series. I can't wait to see how Karl Anthony Towns is leveraged in this In this series, we got two five out teams with Miles Turner and Karl Anthony Towns being two of the best three points shooting bigs in the league.
Speaker 4: League. We've got a lot of bad blood between these two teams. Historically.
Speaker 7: We're gonna see Reggie Miller on the mic for TNT in their last postseason on the broadcast. There's a lot of dynamics here that are really exciting. But my favorite thing is that we have the potential for Tyree Taliburton to do the choke sign against the New York Knicks allave Reggie Miller with Reggie Miller in the building in Indiana, Like, if that happens, WWE ain't got nothing on this series. We even saw Tyree Taliburton and Jalen Brunson in WWE, and it wouldn't top the theatrics. If the Indiana Pacers win a clutch game in Indiana against the New York Knicks and with Reggie Miller on on the broadcast, Tyrese Haliburton busts that out, like, I am, I am, I am here for this series.
Speaker 1: You know what PTSD is, Tom, you know the definition of that.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, okay, So, like, of all the interviews you're gonna do this week, this is the only one you didn't need to do that. You realize that, right.
Speaker 4: I am sorry to do that to you.
Speaker 1: All good?
Speaker 7: At first, I start off by having the mute button on, and then I do that to you.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, if you hung up on me, I would not blame you.
Speaker 1: I would never do that to you, especially at my age. When my son is visibly embarrassed watching me text. He's like, Dad, why does that take you so long? I'm like, just leave me alone. I'll get it done just real quick. Who do you give the advantage to Nick Pacers just early on.
Speaker 7: I think it's the Pacers and the way that they get up and down the floor, the shot making that they have. They are the best shooting team in the postseason so far. They've got about eight guys in that series shooting fifty percent or higher against Cleveland.
Speaker 4: They are a team that I think could give the next real problems when it comes to that up tempo. They move the ball crazy way more than the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 7: The Indiana Pacers are having more passes per game this postseason than any team since twenty fifteen. It's been a decade plus since we've seen a team move the ball this much per game than the Indiana Pacers. And as we say against the Boston Celtics, the switching that they do sometimes.
Speaker 4: They can get vulnerable. You're going to try to limit the passing by switching a lot, but they're not a good switching team, and so are you going to see Tom Thibodeau in that very overload strong side defense, and the Pacers are going to try to pick that apart by getting them in rotation and getting open baskets. This is a really good Pacers offense and a team that has the best win percentage in the Eastern Conference since January one. They're legit. It's not gonna be an easy series. I picked the Boston Celtics over.
Speaker 7: The Knicks in five games, so I'm obviously over underrating the New York Knicks historically, but I just think the Indiana Pacers play a brand of basketball that can be.
Speaker 4: Really tough for the Knicks.
Speaker 7: So I got the Pacers in that series.
Speaker 1: Out this way okay see dispatches of Denver in Game seven, and man, when they turn it on, it just look, there might be a little press sure on OKAC with Boston out, with Cleveland out, with Lebron out, with Stephen Curry out, and I could keep going. They are the Vegas favorite to win, not just against the Tea Wolves, but the NBA Championship. Now Minnesota, I think they deserve a lot more credit than most people are giving them, and maybe we should have paid more attention to them because they did finish the season well. But before I say you lose, who do you like out this way in the west, okay See or Minnesota? And why?
Speaker 4: I think it's okay See. And their defense is so smothering and so physical and so intense that I could see it giving you know, Rudy Gobert a lot of problems. I see Julius Randall has been as good as I've ever seen Julius Randall play in this postseason. But the way that they kind of bait you into trying to go one on one and then they have like three guys swarming you and swiping at the ball, I could see that going very sideways for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Look, this Golden State Warriors team was cooked without Stephan Curry, Jimmy Butler was injured, could not muster up enough to lead that team with any sort of fight against the Minnesota Timberwolves. And I think.
Speaker 7: This thunder team is way different. They're way younger, youngest title contending team ever. Alex Caruso. The fact that they were able to get him in the trade which for Josh Giddy and then turn him into a Yokich stopper, that was insane, And I got okay see, I've had to okay see all season long. I've been on this program saying that I think they're going to run through the postseason. Denver did a great job giving giving them a real battle in that semi Finals. I think it's over in six games against the Minnesota Timberwolves. I understand why Anthony Edwards and the Timberwolves on rest would seem to be a popular pick. But I got OKAYC in that series. But I want to hand it to Julius Rando. He's proven me wrong this postseason. I did not think he was going to be a good postseason perform and you know, watching the Knicks as much as you do, that he can be very frustrating and the way that he, you know, plays isoball and just puts the blinders on in a taxi. But in some of those series man against the Lakers and the way that they were trying to go small against the Timberwolves, like sometimes you need that bullyball. Sometimes you need that against the Golden State Warriors that are basically playing five guards out there. Julius Randam has been excellent this postseason, but I think against a huge, intense, physical thunder team, I think I think it's just going to be too much of a test for the Minnesota Timberwlves. And I got Okac and six.
Speaker 1: One more thing, actually, I want to kick the tires real quick because you reference the next trainer, you know, being awarded the the you know, the training staff of the Year. I would just wonder if you're watching the same way I am, Like, I get Tom's I get Tom Thibodeau's ethos, like known him forever, he was Jeff's assistant. But when it's one hundred and ten to seventy four with five minutes left and Jalen Brunton is fighting over Xavier Tillman picks, don't like, at what point do you put aside who you are and sit your guys to make sure they're ready for the next round?
Speaker 4: Man, this a tiger trait changes straight. I know, I mean, it's we've seen it, unfortunately, we've seen this horror show, the Boogeyman. What happens at the end of these runs. It happened last year. They've I don't want to ran on their parade like absolutely they should celebrate since two thousands haven't made the conference finals. An incredible and incredible performance against the Boston Celtics. But that stuff makes me nervous, man, it does. And uh, you know with gayleb Brunton being banged up this postseason and or at the end of the regular season, that ankle.
Speaker 7: It just takes one. It just takes one weird freak play for that ankle to be rolled, and then it's it's you know, the Tom Thibade story all over again. But man, they're playing so well. Mitchell Robinson coming back from injury, the way that he's performed, it's a seven man rotation. And let's see what happens against the Indiana Pacers that are going to try to run them out of the gym. It's gonna be a really really fun series. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Where can people go get the work?
Speaker 4: Tommy Oh, Tomdefinder dot com, Yahoo Sports, the Big Number that I do with Dan Devine, as well as the.
Speaker 7: KOC show that I appear every week. We're gonna do a postgame show Thursday night after Minnesota, OKC. On Thursday night, We're gonna do a live show over at Yahoo Sports. So go check me out there and of course, pack your knives. Top Chef Recap show in full season right now. If you're a Top Chef fan, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Bench All right, buddy, talk to you soon. There's the great Tom Haberstrow brought to you today by IFA Country Stores, Summer Vacation and warmer weather are just beyond the horizon. As the days grow longer, excuse me, and brightly colored flowers being making their appearance. It's time to start planning and applying step two of IA Phase four plus annual long Care Program design with a blend of vital macro and micro nutrients. IFA is step two for Lizer promotes strong roots and vibrant colors in your yard. At IFA and IFA dot co Op shout out Weezer in town over the weekend, attended Kilby Court with a bunch of children that were my son's age and younger, but showed up early. Didn't make the Friday night till which apparently was the best night, but Saturday show up at about four thirty five hanging out with the youngs, and then Weezer plays and the other old showed up, so that was nice. You typically will attend to Kilby Block party from time to time. Were you present at all?
Speaker 2: I was lucky enough this this this year. I heard from home.
Speaker 1: Oh, you live close enough that you didn't have to.
Speaker 2: I heard that concert while I was doing my garden last night, so it was actually kind of nice.
Speaker 1: And also Travis Tritt wasn't there. Yeah, Travis Tritt is he alive?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Shout out Travis Trick on a Monday afternoon, Tony Parks, what's up, man, I'll tell you what I I finished my Sunday nights the same way all the time. I usually prefer to spend it with Scott van Feldt. Not literally, that'd be weird, but hopefully it's van Felt Sports Center and last night hang it out. I'd fall asleep and they say top ten plays. I'm like, hey, I'll check out the top ten plays. Who doesn't love the top ten plays? And then prior to number one, they said, let's go to minor league baseball. And I'm like, oh, I wonder if the Bees are involved. Sure enough, I hear your voice in the background, and the number one play on se top ten was a Bees player making a great catch in the outfield.
Speaker 6: Yes's awesome. Nico Cavadas, rob's a home run. Nico gets traded to this team last year. Middle of the year, Red Sox trade him him Matthew Lugo, who's now at the Angels. Nico comes and he's a part of the team. South Bend, Indiana kid grew up dreaming of going to Notre Dame, went to games, baseball, football, watched Jeff Samarja. The whole thing has stories school, Yeah, good call. He dated a girl who lived in the Central time zone. He lived in the Eastern, which was ten minutes apart because they're right by the Yeah. So he has stories that are just endless and are funny. And the cool thing with him is I joke with him, well, your timing is so great because you were always on time on accident because you would gain an hour and he would be like, no, I'd show up an hour early for stuff.
Speaker 1: It was annoying.
Speaker 6: Right, So when he's at Notre Dame, a coach named Link Jarrett comes along. They're one of the worst defensive teams, flips him around to being one of the best defensive teams, and he becomes very underrated, in my opinion, defensive player first.
Speaker 1: Base, mostly here and there.
Speaker 6: But then they put him in the outfield, and I'm like, you know what, this guy could play some outfield. This guy and you're watching it in workouts and all of that, You're going, this dude's I don't think he's I don't think people would look at him and think, oh, this is going to be a dynamic outfield player, a player in the outfield, and sure enough, yesterday he's out and right, I think that's his first game, and right, this year's play mostly left most of that.
Speaker 1: I have to go back and look at it. Some of the games kind of blur together.
Speaker 6: But as it's going back, I'm like, Okay, yeah, I think that's gonna get out. And then as I'm watching him time the leap, I'm going, oh my gosh. And then you see his athleticism, his ability to reach over. He couldn't have been more perfect with the timing. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It was a great way they lost yesterday.
Speaker 6: They didn't have a lost like seven to one, but that was like a stellar highlight, one of many great defensive highlights for the team. But that was so cool to call to watch and then to know his background which led up to that moment.
Speaker 1: How you know, if at all, How does that work? Like, do you guys get a call from ESPN like hey, we want to use this clip. I mean, are you aware that you're about to be calling the top play on Sports Center that night? Or you weren't it in real time like the rest of us. I didn't know it would be number one. I thought, oh, that's got to be a candidate for sure.
Speaker 6: And what you do is in your tweets and all of the communication you hashtag sc top ten and Sports Center and all that and so yeah, and I immediately because the feed, here's what would happen this year. I started saying, Hey, look, when we get a really dynamic call, let's have a communications situation where we can get our call over the MiLB call because they always take home a home feed, because that would just normally be on the home feed and that's it short. I was like, no, like, let's get our call for big home runs and big things like that.
Speaker 1: And so that was a gimme.
Speaker 6: We had a good system and it got processed right away and then communicated to Sports Center right away, and it just increases your chances.
Speaker 1: For something like that.
Speaker 6: To give love to Cavadis, to the Bees and you know, a whole organization.
Speaker 1: So it was cool. John Ollinger, John Oliver, excuse me not John Hollinger. He writes for The Athletic. John Oliver hosts this show called Last Week Tonight on HBO. It airs every Sunday, and John's a really funny you know, it's a lot of satire, it's a lot of political satire. But he did last night. He did an entire segment on minor league baseball. And he had prior to a couple of shows ago because he went to who's this super popular minor league baseball team that everybody Rocket City and there are okay, okay, He went to a game or something, he was like, this is awesome. More people should go to minor league baseball games. So he offered on his show to rebrand an entire minor league baseball team. He's going to rename it, he's going to give it a theme night, and they're going to create a mascot. And so last night I think they landed on the Erie, Pennsylvania baseball team. They're going to rebrand entirely. But he did this and it was actually kind of cool. I didn't realize he was going to do this. He kind of made this plea like, if you live in a city with minor league baseball, go support these teams. Because they've done all of this research. And as a result of the research, they were going to games, they were talking to front offices, they were talking to fans, and it was kind of like this last bastion of sport that isn't overly tainted with economic confusion and capitalists undertop. It's just like a pure way to go enjoy baseball. I thought it was kind of cool, no like, and obviously that reverberates with you. Yeah, it really really does.
Speaker 6: That's why I think so many people who work in the Pacific Coast League. Steve and I were obviously close, Steve Cloukey and I, so many of us that work there. That's why it's a clubhouse feel because it doesn't have some of those undertones you're talking about. You deal with far less of the unnecessary bs. There's always weird stuff you gotta deal, but like, you get to really connect with people in a great way, and the fans too, and the whole thing. And the fans love the players because we know, with the way it works, the chances of them being there next year are next to not because they're going to go to a different team, or go to the major leagues or go somewhere. Like it's just you shuffle the deck every year and the roster changes so much year to year, so they when they get a moment with the player, they love it. And then on top of that, the ballpark becomes important. The mascot, the trends, the traditions, that the things like that make it great. Baseball's already great like that, but when you mix it in with something beautiful like what we had at thirteen hundred South and West Temple and now what we have in Daybreak like, it's you can't beat it because it's so special to be around. So I've worked in the NBA, TV radio, you know, mc PA, I've done all the different arts and worked in different leagues. There's nothing like the field of minor league.
Speaker 1: Base tell me, and I don't have any data at my disposal with this. You know, my sincere hope is that the Millers endeavor to bring Major League baseball here. It comes to fruition. I just think it would be so great, and obviously through my prism last night, after getting through you know, the NBA stuff, I watched Game seven on the NHL side, and then some of the Scheffler highlights I throw on met Yankees Subway series. My guy Bellinger goes deep, yeah, ultimate Yankee stadium, walls scrapers, and I just, yeah, just give me the lefty that can hit it, you know, just right out there. Just give me the lefty that you know can hit it two hundred and fifty feet. We're good. And I love that the Mets are good right now because Porter is gonna be like, hey, we have a chance, and then they don't because they're the Mets. But you know, I haven't watched a lot of baseball yet this year. I've been NBA playoff centric or whatever. But every time I tune into a game and really give it my attention, because it isn't a sport that's designed for the twenty four to seven house of highlights like you have. If you're gonna watch a baseball game, it requires some focus and some attention. So it is a different Uh, you know, it's a different time in our society because we all have computers in our hand, and our intention spans are like this. And I notice it with myself, like even if I'm watching a movie, like, wait, this is two hours long, I'm just gonna go watch the show that's thirty minutes. Like, our attention spans are shorter. And I don't know what that's done for the bottom line of interest from Major League Baseball. But do you have any insight as to the health of the sport right now, not just the game that's a great game, but it's at the health of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think you look at how you would compare it to other stuff like the NFL.
Speaker 1: Clearly it's going to take a back seat.
Speaker 6: I mean, just you it has so many games, and when you talk about being there in person, it's a great experience. TV and radio is obviously different. It's one of those that you have on the background for radio if you want. You know, I've always loved one. I'll prep for a game if there's day games on. I love my Wednesday Thursday games. I'll have it on in the background, like listening to different broadcasters, just hearing the sounds of it.
Speaker 1: It's just nice. It's nice to have.
Speaker 6: When it comes to something that you are going to attach yourself to. You're not attaching yourself to it going Okay, they can get out of the sixth inning, we get to the bullpen.
Speaker 1: And that No, that's for the playoffs.
Speaker 6: It's just because there's so many games that the attention span is not going to be there all the time. So it's something to have on, something to have on like on a Sunday night, like you're talking about, right, and so the the eat, sleep, breathe every live moment. In terms of TV radio, I think that would be tough to ever compare it to stuff like it has with the NFL and things like that, but it is healthy. There is attraction to the stars of the game right now. There is attraction to the fact that they improve the timing of the game with the clock rules now and you can't throw over a first one hundred and fifty times, and like now the game moves a lot better and it's actually more enjoyable as a broadcaster. There's some tempo now to the game and some feel, which is great. You've noticed that, Oh yes, it's glaring and I love it. I love it a lot. So there's good to that. But I do think it's healthy overall. And I think obviously the revenues look terrific in terms of the engagement and the attention to the game, But you just know that it's not to the level of something like the National Football League and some other major sports, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just not and it doesn't it doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to, you know, And on the landscape, of the hierarchy. It's probably still three, right, it's probably football, basketball, then baseball, maybe hockey's gained some in roads, and soccer will probably all beyond the outside looking in in this country. That's kind of where I've landed on it. Let me ask you this, even though I've asked you this before, as somebody who calls all these these games, says work for the Millers and understands the sport and understands our market. Are you confident that we'll support a Major League baseball team should we get it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I am no, very confident because the same reason why they supported the NHL, and the same exact reason because I had a good friend of mine who's one in Chicago and then another one lives in Long Island, and he was like, it's not I've been out there. It doesn't really feel like a hockey city.
Speaker 1: I said, it's not. I'm not gonna lie to you and be like, this is a hockey town. No, it's not. It's not.
Speaker 6: People were learning the game as the season went along, by the way. It doesn't make them less of a fan, doesn't make them not intelligence. Yeah, it's just this is not a place where kids played a lot of hockey.
Speaker 1: We can just call it like it is. But they supported it because it was their team.
Speaker 6: They love events and they they are totally engaged with this community. So I knew the moment the NHL came in, I was like, oh, yeah, they they'll totally get behind that team. And then as it turned out, they did, And I thought it was great with the way that people were able to just say like, oh, okay, I'm learning about this part of the game. And you know what, Nat was never a hockey fan, toughter offsides icy in just like that. Loved it big Blackhawks fand went to more Blackhawks games than any other team in the city.
Speaker 1: It was awesome.
Speaker 6: But for a lot of people here that can be the same thing, and it's another great enjoyable experience. There's the other thing. It would own the summer. It would absolutely own the summer. So would it sell out every game like you would say the NHL, Well, no, you have eighty one.
Speaker 1: Nobody sells out everybody Baseball Like that's I.
Speaker 6: Love it when people are like, I could see them having a tough time selling out every game.
Speaker 1: Nobody does.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, and nobody does, and so you get two months of dicey weather.
Speaker 1: You've got a lot of games.
Speaker 6: But I do think you would see a ton of great energy and passion towards it, like you were seeing energy and passion towards now the the Utah Mammoth so.
Speaker 1: And summer night's here rule I mean amazing, you know, Like, that's one of the things I love about the soccer experience. And I tease those guys over there because they're always like, hey, you coming to the game I'm like, is it seventy five degrees yet, because I'm not coming until it's warm, because I'm not sitting outside in cold weather. But a warm Utah summer night out at America First Field, even if you're not a soccer fan, you will enjoy the experience. And you don't have to be a baseball fan to go sit outside. You talked about the sunsets at the new ballpark last time. Grab a hot dog and a pop whatever your thing is, and just enjoy the experience. One more thing here and then we'll talk about what you guys have coming up. So Rob Manfred has said we are not expanding until the new CBA expires. The good news is that's next year. Yes, So December first, twenty twenty six, the new CBA and Major League Baseball expires, and then we'll see what they do as far as expansion on the rise, and we know the cities, Nashville, Portland, the usual suspects. There's always the possibility of the Arizona Coyotes being owned by an idiot and needing a new home and suddenly saw as hockey. There's the Tampa Bay stuff that's out there. The A's look like they're going to Vegas, although that's not done. What's your understanding about where we're at in the process of getting baseball here to our market.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not being a homer with this leader in the clubhouse. Leader in the clubhouse. And by the way, you know, there's a ton of variables that come with stuff like this over time, so things can always change. But I think they're the leader in the clubhouse because all the circus, all the nonsense is out of the way. If you're going to expand, it is the place because you have the ownership, you have alignment with where they're going to have the stadium, all of the details on how they're going to fund it, all the nonsense, all the headaches, all the forty seven chain emails and the hour and a half long meetings bureaucracy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, the last minute.
Speaker 6: Oh crap, Hey, by the ways, all that stuff gone, and there is something too, having already put so many other plans in place to then let this be a smooth landing, as smooth as you can have.
Speaker 1: Sure. Sure.
Speaker 6: Now the other thing I try to tell people too, because they well, how long do you think it would take? And I'm like, well, you got to remember when Tampa and Arizona had their expansion teams, it was four years later. They had opening day, four years when it was like if I remember it was announced, it was like four years later.
Speaker 1: That's so that's a gap.
Speaker 6: So it would have to be hey, we're expanding, Hey, this is where we're doing it. I don't know if it would be four years, but that's what it was back then, So that takes some time. The other thing is if you expand, so people look at what happened with Ryan Smith and the Utah Mammoth. Now, great work to quickly turn it around, I mean, amazing, like they deserve it's on a credit for that. It was also easier that it was a purchased team right, because now everything expans. It's not straight turnkey, but a lot of things are done in this situation. Where are your minor league affiliates? Where's your spring training facility? Where I mean there's I mean the stadium. Obviously there's a ton of things that all come into play with an expansion team, So all.
Speaker 1: Right to them before you catch a break. The Solid B's and Miller Sports and Entertainment invite all to celebrate the grand opening of the Salt Lake Bees team Store the ballpark at America First Square. This is tomorrow, May the twentieth, one one one South Ballpark Drive.
Speaker 6: First of all, great address, easy to fide. It's my mom's pass code for her phone, so she can't forget.
Speaker 1: You know, I probably should not say my father's cell phone on air, but it is amazingly easy. New merch, great deals and more. Beesteam store dot com. Tell me what do you want our listeners to know?
Speaker 6: Oh man, I'll tell you what. Like I love with what they're gonna have with this new team store. Obviously the new gear and all of that, but the varieties of the new gear, you know, a ton of different stuff from a great women's apparel, you're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: For Like, I'm wearing this polo and this is what the old gear.
Speaker 6: I haven't looked on a new one as well, But then all the different hats that's what I like too. So I don't know about you. I was never a flat bild guy. I just didn't look good in a flat bill hat. I looked like a train conductor. I didn't look like a cool train conductor. I looked like a weirdo train conduct So I think there's a natural expiration date.
Speaker 1: Like I was a flat brim guy when I was younger, But whenever I see any dude that's over thirty five, like wearing a flat brim hat, I'm like, bro, give it up, Like it's not a good look. I don't have a problem with it. It's just that I don't have a problem. I don't look good in it. I just don't look like. You have a smaller face. Yes, you need a big jawline to look good in a flat priam.
Speaker 6: Yeah, apparently you gotta have a big fat face or something, and.
Speaker 1: You need to be younger than thirty five.
Speaker 6: All I know is every time I put one on, I was like this just does not look good. So nice curve bill hat. I like the forty seven series, all that stuff they have it. It looks great. So I always say it. If you need it, they've got it. If you don't need it, they've got it.
Speaker 1: So go get it. There you go, the best Team Store come out out tomorrow, grand opening the Be's Team Store at a new ballpark at America First Square. All right, Tony stops about it. Courtesy of our friends at Cortland Roofing. They're re roofing and roof repair experts with over twenty years of experience. They're family owned and operated called Cortland Roofing. Today they've got this great offer. So if you feel like you're in the in the market now for a roof replacement, give them a call right away. But if you're approaching it, the deal they have for you is they're giving you free rain gutters with every roof replacement. They showed me the numbers. That's literally like two thousand dollars of savings. So if you've been waiting, if your wife's gotta get mad at you, we need a new roof, you might as well do it now and get the free rain gutters. Because you're gonna save about two grand. Give them a call at eight oh one six one five five five six zero. That's eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six zero or online at Cortland roofing dot com.
Speaker 6: Last night they put together that terrific performance with four total strikeouts.
Speaker 1: This is launched high in deep to Ripe by Daniel.
Speaker 6: Johnson, going back as gavanas at the Wall Lapside and he brought it back Hey rocking.
Speaker 1: On the short sidewall over by the right Bill pull Man, Candy tucking Away. Tonty Parks is live in studio, good enough to join us two weeks in a row. Easton Folster, who's the executive director of the UGA, will join us in a little bit. Scottie Scheffler was with his third major. Easton has requested space to talk about the Knicks because even though he's a local guy, he's a fan of the New York Knicks. But we will talk little golf. Tony fi And now finishes nineteen, tied for the nineteen over the weekend and takes on him an extra two hundred k. Must be nice to finish nineteenth and something and make two hundred thousand dollars. Let's get Tony's mic on, right, Yeah, that's all you got to do. Top I want to do top twenty two.
Speaker 6: Hundred k and be like, you know, I'm not the best, but I'm not the worst.
Speaker 1: I made two hundred thousand dollars. That's a good weekend, a great week top twenty at a major. So have you had a chance to meet Tony just the nicest kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've crossed passed it a little bit. He and I know a lot of the same people. Huh right, crazy, Yeah, but no, I've never really gotten to know him, but I know of him, and we've been around each other before.
Speaker 1: We know who each other are. If you will, Although he who Tony Parks, is that the voice of the Bees? I'm sure tell the guy who did the produce race all those years, Tony probably came out to a game or two of the ballpark, I would imagine, Oh ye, but obviously he had that great connection with Ron McBride. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it just good people that know good people and and yeah so I but I've always been a huge fan of them, always rooted them on.
Speaker 1: Do you play golf? I don't know this about you. Do you ever play any golf?
Speaker 6: Do you watch at it? Don't watch it so much. I've got so much going on, but like I track it. I keep an eye on it. Yeah, yeah, I like to follow it. And then to me, it's always about the who you know. You and I always had such odd schedules, so we never golf together, and even when we were at the tournaments or whatever like, we would be offset on the timing that we're in the air. So but yeah, you'd be the kind of guy. I'm not just being nice. You'd be fun of golf. Would just hang out, talk with for eighteen holes and joke about Britton Johnson for at least three of.
Speaker 1: Oh, we can do that even if we're not playing golf. I will tell you thank you. First of all, I think I'm a good time on the golf course.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. If I'm not playing well, I tend to be a little ground. I have changed my view. First of all, there's an economic factor that comes into play if you're breaking golf clubs left and right. So my goal this year and I've told my buddies, so I played golf with the over under for broken clubs is one point five, so I'm going to give myself grace to maybe break a club. My goal is to just not break more than one. And so far it's only May. I have not broken a golf club yet. But as I started, look, I am an aging competitor trying to understand my real lot in life. There's no reason to get competitive when you're play Monopoly with your eight year old nephew. You don't need to throw the board. Okay, that's dumb, and you're out there to have fun. So I'm just trying to enjoy the journey instead of getting frustrated if I don't play well. But once I started really hounding in on golf and like, this is fun. I love the challenge, and I started getting better. I bought new clubs, took some lessons. When that endeavor wouldn't pay off, and I would have one those rounds where I'm like, have you ever done this before? Clubs would fly and I've definitely not a good time when that happens. But I am learning, Tony. I'm trying to evolve and be better and kind of keep the tantrums to a minimum. I uh, yeah for me.
Speaker 6: So here's where it happens. You know you're not good. You go out there, Hey, you're having a good time. You know it's all good. Then you actually start to improve. Then you actually see like wait, I'm stratten that out, like I've I've kind of got that down. Then you sit there and waste thirty five minutes in a conversation with the buddy talking about how you dropped one perfectly on the pool table on six at Nibley or whatever, you know, whatever your story is. And then I'm going and that was thirty five minutes. I'm not getting back, and I really obsessed about that more than I should have. And then I go out there and start perceivingly regressing. And then I started feeling myself get frustrated. I was like, don't, yep, don't not worth it. You don't have the money to keep up with this game anyway, Like don't, just don't because I don't want to spend the money to get the let I just don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah no. And it's a big time crunch, I mean, excuse me. It's very time consuming. So it asks a lot of your time, it asks a lot of your paycheck. It's not a cheap thing to do. But yeah, as you start to get a little bit better. The other weird thing is there'll be a round where something clicks in your head where you're like, I've got to pull down with my left I've got to get my left hip out of the way. And then you're like, okay, I'm doing that and it's working. And then the next round you show up and you're like, okay, pull down with your left, get your left hip out of the way, get the shoulder or turn, and none of that works, and you're like, Okay, I've got to recalibrate and figure out what I have to do today, even though what I had to do last week does, it's not working anymore. Because and that, honestly is what is addicted me to the sport, right, the mental challenge. And I didn't have really a competitive outlet because I last played competitive basketball in my twenties. I broke my leg. I'm like, I'm not doing this anymore. So I was like looking for a competitive outlet, and that's what golf is kind of okay, has been for me. So here's what I love about play by play.
Speaker 6: Every day is that's what it is for me, Like I compete with myself like I have a vision and I have preparation.
Speaker 1: I have everything that you know, fundamentals.
Speaker 6: I love the art of constantly an effortless or with an unquenchable thirst to improve and to just minimize the distance between where I am and where I want to be more and more every day. To me, there is nothing like that. You wake up with that fire, you feel that fire, and then you you know, let's say, let's say you had a good day with it like you would on the golf course.
Speaker 1: You have a good day. Cool thing is you got another game tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Let's say you know, didn't go quite as well as you thought and for whatever reason, just didn't feel right, didn't deliver it right. I don't know whatever. You know what, got another game tomorrow? And I love that about play by play.
Speaker 1: But if you mispronounce your name, you're not breaking your microphone. No, I'm not taking off the headside. Do you miss a call? And you're not breaking your equipment? What's the you know what? This is a dangerous question. Whatever I would say. It's a Monday. Let's just get asked, like, have you ever witnessed a local broadcaster melt down? Yes? You feel like you can share it. No, I didn't think so that's why it was a dangerous question. Ask no, it is trying to see.
Speaker 6: The toughest one was where somebody would be upset and you could actually understand why they're upset, And then other times it was like, no, you're you're taking it out on this person and you're justifying your behavior. The hardest part I think in this industry was me saying, you've explained your behavior.
Speaker 1: Are you excusing your behavior?
Speaker 8: Well no, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, so you are excusing your behavior, right, yeah, because if anybody ever treated you like that, you would cry in a corner for three months. And okay, right, so you chose to treat them like that because they're them and you're you, and you knew these people over here don't have the courage to in any way rectify that.
Speaker 1: Have a slight inklean that I know who you're talking about.
Speaker 6: And just watching the defensiveness, watching the and then watching the fear based proposition, it's like, don't, don't, don't, don't like but you know what you did. It's just because I care so much. No, No, that's.
Speaker 1: Not it passion's behavior.
Speaker 6: You're telling a truth to mask the truth. So let's talk about the truth. And that was always like yeah, that was always a tough one. But no, but there were times where people would be frustrated or mad and they're just mad about the situation and I'm like, yeah, I'm like no, no, hey, you know, like you care, you're into it. It matters to you. And in those situations, I was always like, great, you know what I mean? Like that to me, like if a golfer's upset is mad about the situation, fine, But if somebody's competing and they're you know, completely a detriment to the to other people and things like that and then justifying it and then couching it is but we're still a team, and no you're not. And you're successful in spite of that behavior, not because of the like.
Speaker 1: I always get a kick, what I hear? Like, No, it's just he's just overly passionate. Oh so he's an ass, that's what you're saying, Like you'll like Draymond Green's overly passionate. Like I love Draymond as a player, but when he when he when he crosses that line. Passion is not an excuse for poor behavior. Well, it's it's like Okay, uh, Michael Jordan slaps Steve Kerr. Right, guess what Michael Jordan did owned it? Yeah, he owned it. And Phil Jackson also there was like accountability to it. Right.
Speaker 6: So to me, you're going to have emotions, boiler, you're going to the big thing is do you take responsibility when it happens? And do you and then you you have a commitment to improved successful behavior going forward?
Speaker 1: Right, Right.
Speaker 6: So everybody's always like whenever the well, they'll they'll show a coach meltdown on a player and they'll be like.
Speaker 1: Hey, is this good coaching or is this abuse? I'm like, is there trust between the two?
Speaker 6: Because if there's trust between the two, now it's coaching because the players you care about them, and that's why you're also upset because you care about them.
Speaker 1: Now there's belief here. Yeah, But if they.
Speaker 6: Don't think you care about them, then they think you're just putting on a show. Then they know that you're just acting out of line. Now what you're doing is actually a detriment to the team rather than a benefit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there you go. No, I got you all right, Tony. When you last joined us, it was last Monday when hope was prevalent in the market. That last Monday night, we were all going to be gathered around our televisions or our radios because we had a live on ESPN seven hundred to listen to Mark Tatum revealed that the Utah Jazz were going to draft number one overall, therefore draft Cooper flag and therefore bring hope to a market in a fan base that right now, if Ronest does not have a lot of hope. Where were you and what was your reaction when you heard that the Utah Jazz were not drafting one or two or three or four, but they had I hesitate to say they had fallen to five right now, it was their floor. They couldn't fall any further. But if you look at the numbers, they were most likely to draft four or five. That's what the percentage just said. Of course, the hope was won. Where were you when you heard the news and what was your reaction? Was in my wife's salon.
Speaker 6: We still have a salon in our place here, and I was getting a beard trim, and I was sitting there and my phone on the yes on the ESPN seven hundred app, I had it sitting there and as I was sitting there watching the TV was on, but it's on delay and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Anyway, as I'm sitting.
Speaker 6: There and I hear on the the app the Utah Jazz, and I just went WHOA. And I didn't say well, because I was like, it was more that I knew the reaction of the fan base knew I was.
Speaker 1: Coming would be overwhelming, and local media members.
Speaker 6: I knew it would be a massive blow up because the Jazz in years passed let's say, like the Darren Williams thing, or when they fell to six and then they traded. Yeah, but when they fell to six, they weren't trying to get the one. I mean they were you know, they just weren't dealing with a great team. So I was like, all right, this is the one time, oh you fell, that's unfortunate. But they moved up to three, they traded whatever. In this situation, they were going all out for the whole thing. I mean that this was the objective here. And so when they went to fifth, I knew there would be a reaction of disappointment, a reaction to people being upset. Where I just always shake my head and roll my eyes is the this is rigged, this is fixed.
Speaker 1: This whole thing is this and that.
Speaker 6: And I thought, man, way too many years agoing by with the Knicks not being the number one pick, way too many things have happened where teams who have no benefit to the league to have the number one pick.
Speaker 1: I've had the number one pick.
Speaker 6: I can make far more of an argument that if the league's rigging this, they're doing a really bad job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now that's not to say that there haven't been some things where you kind of go, all right, Lebron leaves Cleveland, they get one, Chris Paul leaves New Orleans, they get one, And honestly, look, I think it's intellectually embarrassing to discuss the potential of what is literally called a lottery to be rigged. Like if you've ever been in any sort of drawing, you know the deal, You get your a little ticket, you hang out, you're like, maybe I'll win this, and then the drawing takes place and your ticket number isn't called it's just bad luck. It doesn't mean it's fixed. So I have no space for any of that. I think the one thing that led to this outcry wasn't necessarily the Jazz falling to five. I think it was Dallas getting one after they moved on from Luca, and so I think a lot of people were drawn the line like, hey, keep the Lakers relevant, trade Luke at LA and we'll take care of you. Now, that's also dumb. But I do think one of the things that stings if you're a Jazz fan, it's not that you weren't able to get Luck to move up and you're at five. I think it's your two of your Western Conference peers. You're already far behind Oklahoma City. You're already far behind Denver, Minnesota. I could keep going, You're already far behind some many teams that have good players now and mechanisms to add good players later. That the fact that the Spurs are able to add the Dylan Harper kid and the MAVs are able to add Cooper Flag. It's two more Western Conference teams that now you look at that and you say, we are light years behind them as well. I think that that probably adds to the sting. Well, I think it definitely does.
Speaker 6: Like part of this has to be that you have to look at yourselves and saying, you know, what, whatever this process had been, it hasn't gone as well as we want.
Speaker 1: Even if you want.
Speaker 6: To say, well the process, you know, the plan wasn't to win yet and it's like I got it. But while this process is put together, what has been the most positive part of this process to me?
Speaker 1: It's Will Hardy six year extension because I think he's the right guy.
Speaker 6: What what is it? There's no identity, there's no culture. Okay, okay, you were planning on losing out, that's fine, but you haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 6: And somebody else can come on and be like I've seen this from this guy and that from that guy.
Speaker 1: I still well, I haven't seen enough yet.
Speaker 6: It makes me go, you know what, that right there, that here is going to move them this direction. I remember in the Quinn years, in the early Quin years, going okay, they got something here. They're big here, and they're defensive oriented, and they've lost nine in a row, but they have an identity and there's something moving this direction now, okay, And in this current situation.
Speaker 1: I'm not just trying to be critical.
Speaker 6: I know they're doing it differently than Dennis and Quinn and Kevin O'Connor back in the day. I'm not saying do it the way they did it. I'm just saying throughout all of this, hey, you've garnered a lot of assets. I'll give you that, and you I think have the right coach right mind. But now it's it's making everything else come together. So when you did this to bet on yourself that you were going to get it right now, you got to put it to work and that might mean moving up, and that might mean spending more than you probably wanted to. If it's the guy that you believe is going to turn this around. But you miss on this pick, and you I mean, if you do, if you Dante this thing, and I'm not saying they will, but if you Dante ExHAM this thing, you prolong this process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the number one thing you have to do is draft. Well, Bobby Mark is on earlier and he outlined it perfectly. And here's the deal. And I hate to use this team as an example because right now they are the best example of roster construction under the new CBA, which has allowed teams that play in cities pretty similar to ours build up. Some really good teams are going to be good now and be good for a long time. Now. The one outlier can and This is why this exercise is a little bit difficult, because you could look at Detroit, you can look at Orlando, you can look at Oklahoma City, you can look at some of the teams that are in cities like ours, and we're in places like this not too long ago, and try to draw parallels. But the one failure with this exercise is Okaycshay. Detroit has Kaid and Orlando as Pollo, and the Jazz don't have that guy. I like Lowry. I like Lowry a lot. He's not one of those guys. He is not a franchise you know. He's not a franchise building block. He can play really well for a really good team, and the Jazz could trade him and he would start for probably any team in the league, maybe not a fully healthy Boston Celtic team. But you get my drift. So where the Jazz have failed so far and where these other teams have succeeded. Like Sam Presty turned Paul George into Shame and other pieces and a bunch of draft capital, the Jazz so far have not turned Donovan or Rudy into a cornerstone. They turned Donovan into Lowry and some other pieces. And some draft picks. Of course, they got Walker and the Rudy deal, which is a nice piece. But if you're going to move off of Donovan Mitchell at twenty five, who's probably about to be named First team All NBA, or Go Bar at twenty eight, who loves Salt Lake and didn't want to leave, if you're going to move off those franchise changing pieces, yes, among the things you receive in return, whether it's a tangible piece like Shay right away or a draft pick later on, you have to find the guy that you can build around, and they have not found that yet. So if you can turn Paul George into Shea and then you have some lean years with him as the cornerstone and you can see that he is one of those dudes, then all you have to do is draft right around him, and then it gives you the ability, with some deals, you know, to be able to bring in and as Isaiah Hartenstein or an Alex Caruso who guarded Yokichen Game seven. But they draft Chet, they draft Isaiah Joe, you know, they bring in Casin Wallace, Aaron Wiggins, Kayalen Williams. They knocked that one out of the park. So yes, Sam Presty turned Paul George into shea, but he also has this crazy hit rate on his draft picks. So the problem with the Jazz isn't only that they haven't turned Donovan Rudy into a star. It's there are legitimate questions about Isaiah Collier and Keyante George. We need to see Taylor Hendrick Selty and Cody Williams by all the analytics just had a historically bad rookie year. So it's twofold, okay. So if we look at all the teams that have rebuilt and now we're in a position where they're playing high level basketball in cities like ours, you've got to start with ant. You have to start with she you have to start with Cade, you have to start with Polo and then build from the ground up. The Jazz haven't been able to do that. Attendant to it, if we're honest, they have not hit on their picks, Tony, No, since Danny, you know, Danny kind of took over the reins, they just haven't.
Speaker 6: I had a Jazz fan asked me how's it the Sacramento airport yesterday and ran into a couple different Salt Lake residents but one of them was a Jazz fan as well and was talking about the five pick and this and that. What do you think And I just said, well, they can catch up in terms of gaining ground from where they have been up to this point. But when they made the wholesale change three years ago, I thought, okay, no, you're turning the page.
Speaker 1: And I'm totally fine with that.
Speaker 6: I would not have predicted that they've made what I would consider very little to know forward progress.
Speaker 1: So so for you to lose, that's one thing. But I do not see a ton of forward progress.
Speaker 6: And I know that we're supposed to be positive about the Jazz and there are NBA team and no, I'm just I'm going to be very honest.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it going.
Speaker 6: I get that the plan wasn't to win, but I don't see other things that tell me this is a surging direction forward here, here and here. And when I see that, I say, okay, you can gain ground on that with hitting draft picks and all of that and catch up from the distance that I thought you would be at. But I am curious as to why. I'm curious as to why three years I mean, there's there's really nothing to show for this. We've got a ton of assets. Yeah, I know, you've had them for a while. You know, we've got great draftics. Yeah, I know this isn't your you know, I know this is a really good one. But you've had some nice picks here and some selections to make up to that point. So you have room, you have weapons, you have opportunity. And I still think, and some people disagree with me on the Will Hardy thing, I'm like, no, I think this guy's magnificent.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: I think all of his principles.
Speaker 6: I think the fact that he wildly overperformed with that that team he had what three years ago and then two years ago, I mean, that was amazing Spence. And then they flushed out and said, Okay, we're gonna bottom out, We're gonna do it this way. Okay, But now I got to see something in that process that tells me, here is the light, Here is the direction, Here is the momentum.
Speaker 1: You know, It's like anybody who's.
Speaker 6: Gonna go to the gym or make a whole major change in their life. People may not see it right away, but you can feel and see the momentum that's around you based on different decisions, you know, different opportunities, different habits. They may see them under the surface. I'm just telling them I don't see them. And I've watched as much as I can. I don't see it. So I'm hoping for them. Then in the near future this can be turned around. You nail the five pick or you move up and you nail the pick and then you start really seeing some surge go in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as far as just simply being positive and believing the messages that are propably, you know, it's just propaganda coming out of the organization, and you know, like I can't roll that way. I can't just call something other than what I see. And yes, the organization wants you to believe that the rebuild is on track. And yes, at times they plan a story where it's like, oh, hey, just so you know, we haven't been rebuilding. We've been tearing down for three years and now we're rebuilding. That's so insulting, Like, no, you started the rebuild when you traded away two stars in their prime and a really good coach left and a really good roster constructor left. That's when the rebuild started. The clock started three years ago, not now. Okay, So you can't just prop the gate messaging through you know, team owned media, or try to plan a story in the d News of the trib and then expect me to not see what I'm seeing. And look, nobody. I want the Jazz to win as bad as anybody. I mean, look, I have a dashboard. I keep track of how many people listening to which segments and how many people listen to which interviews, and when Donovan and Rudy and that team was kind of making their way through and having a little bit of playoff success early on, and then you know, the interest in the Jazz was through the roof. A lot of people were listening to the NBA segments in a way that they just aren't right now. It's better for my business if the Jazz win. I'm as frustrated as anybody, for everybody, and I can't just be positive about something that I'm looking at right now without a lot of hope. Because when you look at teams with draft capital future ability to add pieces via the draft, Oklahoma City is at the top. And Oklahoma City isn't just in a position where they're going to be able to pieces in the future they're awesome right now. They should win the championship. Then you have teams like Brooklyn. They're in the same spot as the Jazz. The Houston Rockets have ten draft picks coming their way. They just made the playoffs with a really, really good team. The San Antonio Spurs have nine future picks at their disposal. The Detroit Pistons are on this list, the Sacramento Kings, the Orlando Magic. So teams that are already good are in the same area. The Jazz are with draft assets. So it's one thing to say we have draft assets. Okay, that's great. There is a tremendous amount of pressure on them to get this thing right this offseason. Yeh. Now next year is going to look the same as this year. There's no scenario. I mean, there are rumors about San Antonio two or Affiliate three. Maybe they can move up, maybe they can grab another lottery pick. But we need to see Taylor healthy. For fair Cody, I mean, he's got years to go. Based off what we saw last year, I don't know if Keante George is a rotational piece for a good team. Isaiah Callier, you can't have your lead guard shooting twenty six percent from three. I like Lowry, I like Walker, and that might be it. I think Philipowski showed some things down the stretch. Yeah, But if the best pick you've made is the one you've grabbed thirty two and the chances that you had in the lottery in the mid first round you've struck out on, it indicates they're still miles and miles to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the comparisons you make to the other teams, I think it jumps out because the first thing I saw with the reaction was they will never help us small market tape. Well, I tell you, the Tember Nuggets are recent champions, right, and I know they're not like small smallmerker right. But the Milwaukee Bucks are resa champions. The Spurs won five of them. They put together a good run of winning, consistently winning. The Jazz, by the way, in the nineties won a ton more teams. Jordan beating the finals came from small markets than big markets. I still don't call Phoenix a small market, but I know that it's not considerate that in the NBA landscape is not But anyway, not the point. It wasn't a major destination if you will for NBA free agents and all that at the time. So when I look at it, I say, no, I think all across the board.
Speaker 1: If you want to say it's all even, it's not okay. I get it.
Speaker 6: Some places are probably more wished upon by a free agent than say, Salt Lake. But when I look at the way teams have been able to build championships build championship teams, I look at the way that they were able to do it with culture. I look at the way Mike Malone was able to do and I know it just got let oh, it's just stunning, by the way, but how he did it with Denver and I watched him in the years where they refused to be consistent with defensive habits, then at least weren't terrible in that area. Boom put a ring on their finger, Like I watched it all come together for others. And there's no reason this place couldn't fan support everything you could want in that way.
Speaker 1: And it's a competitive league.
Speaker 6: I got that, And I'm not saying this team should be in that position now, But I did think they would be more along than they have been. I did think that they would be at a at a bigger step in this process, it has surprised me.
Speaker 1: If san Antonio is willing to move too, or Philly is moving to move, is willing to move? Three? Do you put marketing on the table? You put Lowry on the table? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean if you're gonna bet on that being this cornerstone piece to the ultimate future, then yes, yes I do. But but with that said, you better be ready because if I'm them, I want Lowry, I want to swap, and I want a future at basement.
Speaker 1: That's the basement, all right, ton, Before I say you loose, reminder of the Salleid Bees and the Miller Sports and Entertainment invite all to celebrate the grand opening of the Salleid Bees Team Store at the Ballpark at America First Square, coming up tomorrow, five o'clock PM, one one one one South Ballpark Drive new merch, great deals and more. Go to Bees teamstore dot com. What do you want our listeners to know? Man, get in there.
Speaker 6: Check out all the latest and the best gear. You're gonna love all the different types of hats that they have, tons of hats las of a house, which of course is great. Those are a copa hats, copa jerseys, all the different. I'm sure they'll have a ton of different looks on the variety of the rebrand. With the new gear that you're going to see out there, they did a wonderful, wonderful job with that. I like all the new hats, but whether it's hats, jerseys, t shirts and more, I've always said it, Yeah, if you need it, they got it.
Speaker 1: If you don't need it, they still got it. Go get it. Father's days around the corner. Get it done right. That's right. Great to see my friend, Okay, Tony Park stops by today courtesy of our friends at Courtland Roofing, Reroofing and roof repair experts with over twenty years of experience. They're family owned and operated. Call Courtland Roofing today to get free rain gutters with any roof replacement. So when they were in studio, they ran the numbers by me about exactly how much money you save when you get free rank gutters. It's thousands of dollars. If you're in the market for a new roof, Courtland Roofing has to be the place to go. Give them a call today at eight oh one six one five five five six zero. That's eight oho one six one five five five I have six zero eight oh one six one five five five six zero or online at Cortland roofing dot com. All right, we'll get to the five o'clock out of the program. Coming up in just a little bit. We're about to send somebody to play golf at Stonebridge. It is our Festival of Teas, brought to you by the UGA, so stay tuned for that. Speaking of the UGA, our next guest is the executive director of the UGA, and we're only going to talk golf for the next twenty minutes. Easton Folster, Happy Monday, buddy. How are we doing right?
Speaker 8: I'm doing fantastic And you guys, couldn't it fixed a better song? And suck us hoping you would? That's just that made my heart happy.
Speaker 1: There you go. And we're not only going to talk golf because your text offering your presence on this radio show came with a mandate. And Easton, even though you're a local boy, you happen to be a lifelong fan of the New York Knickerbockers. Let me start with the origin story. When did you and why did you become a Knicks fan?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a good question, you know, Obviously, being a nineties kid, the Knicks were a little more relevant, you know, back then than they are, you know, in the previous two decades. And obviously I had the Jazz Troop for but for some reason I hooked on with the Knicks. Was a big Patrick Ewing fan, and I will say that I've remained loyal through some dark years, and now there seems to be somewhat of a light at the end of the tunnel. So things are looking a little brighter, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So I wonder what you find most likable about this iteration of the Knicks, Because Porter, my producer, is a younger Nick fan, and so he has this idea in his head that the Mellow years were awesome and they just weren't. They won a couple of playoff series and look, I'm a mellow guy, love mellow I just it's all bottom line this to me, this is the most likable Nick team, literally since nineteen ninety nine. What what do you like most about this team?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I agree, they're fun to watch, you know. I think the compelling component is the fact that I feel like they're never out of a game. You know, I've told some friends and you know solo basketball fans that I feel like, if the Knicks can get to the fourth quarter within ten points and Jalen Brunson is in the game, we have a shot. And I think being able to watch a player like him with as clutch as he's been, it's amazing. I mean, it's it almost feels like this this confidence when he has the ball that something magical is going to happen. So even if we're down, which we've obviously seen in the Celtics series the Piston series as well, you have a chance with Jalen Brunson and he's a closer, and it's been a lot of fun to watch. But it's a greaty team. They hustle, they play hard. I wish they wouldn't dig these holes. I'm sure I speak for all Knicks fans, but they find a way to claw out and it's been heart stopping sometimes, but it's been a lot of fun up to this point.
Speaker 1: Did you anticipate Friday Night happen in the way it did at all? I mean, I finished the show and drove home, and you know what, man, it was kind of fun because I will say in this space, when you do this for a living, and as long as I've done, and now, you know, approaching twenty years full time, you do have to be agnostic a little bit, you know, you do have to kind of put the biases and fandom aside in order to do the job the right way. Like I would love for the Jazz to be good again, but I cannot be dishonest about where they're at. Whenever anybody asks me, who do you cheer locally for? I said all of them. I want everybody to win, because when everybody's winning, more people listening to sports soccer radio, and it's better for my bottom line. It's better for my business. But the PTSD of being a Nick fan for really since I was ten eleven years old, really settled in. And I approached that game on Friday night with tremendous trepidation and even when they were up like forty, I'm like, I still don't feel like this was real. So what stood out most to you about the way they just blew out the same Celtics on Friday?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm with you. I was terrified, you know, when we lost Game five the way that we did, even without Tatum, I was I was really nervous, and it just has felt like Nicks never really blow teams out, you know. If anything, they've been getting blown out in games and have caught back, which has been a lot of fun. But I had I wish I could say I saw the Knicks blown them out. I didn't have that level of confidence. I thought it'd be a great game, but it seemed like, you know, they had their foot on the gas and they didn't let it go. And I'm with you, even when we got up twenty thirty and I think we even touched forty plus points, you know, there was still some trepidation, like you said that the bottom was going to fall out, and you know, as we know with coach Tibbs of course kept his starters in the whole entire game, so I'm not even sure that he.
Speaker 4: Was confident that we're going to hold on.
Speaker 8: But exciting way to win the game and a lot of momentum going into the Eastern Conference finals, so it's exciting.
Speaker 1: What is your confidence against this pacer team that just has a grip of physical pitbull wings that just want to fight everybody all the time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's going to be a great series. I think we'll match up well. I really I think that Knicks fans might be making a mistake and kind of overlooking the Pacers and looking onto the finals.
Speaker 4: That would be a mistake.
Speaker 8: I mean, Pacers man handled a really good Cavs team, and so I could see this going six. I could go see it going seven. But of course, as a true Knicks fan, I think I think we'll get it done. You know, I'd have to say maybe Nix and Nixon six would be my prediction. In fact, I think that's what we've done. The last two series is one in game six, so hopefully we get that done again.
Speaker 1: Does it make it sweeter that it's been so long? I mean I've kind of gone back and forth on this because certainly, as a fan, every year, you want your team to have a shot, and if for honest, you know, the Knicks have not had a shot it doing anything since nineteen nine. I mean, it literally has been twenty five years, and if we're honest, the Jazz haven't had a chance to win a championship. In my opinion, probably in that same timeframe. But during that time, the Jazz had d Will and Booze and Memo, and then they had Hayward and Favors in that group, then they had Mitchell and Gobert and good teams. So I know, the Jazz right now are nowhere close to competing, and we have a fan base that's a little bit disenfranchised with the product. And my hope is, you know, when the Jazz are able to get this thing figured out and they're back to respectability and competition, our community here and our basketball fan base here will be reminded of how fun spring basketball is. So I know, as a long suffering Nick fan, you probably preferred to have better teams over the past twenty five years, But does it make it any sweeter that it's been so long?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think so, And I think most Knicks fans would say that. I mean, if anyone saw the social media buzz around the Knicks fans going absolutely crazy in New York City, I mean, on one, it's a little embarrassing. I mean, all we did was win two series, but they celebrated, you know, like we won the championship. So I think you see that that somewhat of a relief, you know, from fans that it's been so long that we've made it to this point, and it certainly is sweet. You know, I've I've had to stop myself from you know, day dreaming to what might be and in a few weeks we still have a really, really long way to go for that. But no, it's it's it's been what you know, two decades or twenty five years since you know, we got to this point, and so I think, you know, for all Knicks fans, there's this certain release that you know, it's been satisfying to see the team perform. I listened to your previous segment about the Jazz playing the lottery offs and some of their struggles and you know, and tearing it down and can't help but be reminded that that's what the Knicks were doing for the better part of the last two decades.
Speaker 4: And so it feels it feels.
Speaker 8: Good, you know, to be this point, and hopefully we can keep it rolling.
Speaker 1: All right, Before we will, we do need to talk a little golf. But before we get there, I have your Instagram pulled up and number one, congrats, that's number one. I was going to ask you if you're raising your young your young fella as a fan of this team, because one of the things, like my poor son has grown up Jazz, Nicks, Jets, luckily we have the Yankees. But I feel bad that I ever encouraged him to cheer for the Knicks or the Jets. But he was at one of the games and he posted a picture in his John Starch jersey that I bought him when he was about the same age as your boy. And I see, you've got your boy in a Jalen Brunson jersey.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, And he's a you know, for only being four years old, he's a real fan.
Speaker 4: I mean he can.
Speaker 8: Name I would say at least six or seven players on the team, So for being four years old, i'd call him a real fan. I mean, he's watching the games with me, and he's and he's excited, and you know, as you mentioned, wife expecting and I've told her, if we're lucky enough to win it all, Jalen, the name Jalen is certainly in play. You know, she's not necessarily a fan, but I've just warned her that Jalen is in play. So you might see that here in a few months. But yeah, I mean we're excited, and I know my son is too. He of course didn't have to suffer through the long decades of ineptitude. But yeah, we're pretty pumped at our residents.
Speaker 1: Thinking, Jalen Spencer fulster, how's that land?
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 8: I'm all in.
Speaker 1: You put a basketball in his hand? Can he shoot it? Did he dribble it?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 8: He can play? Yeah, he's an athlete, you know. Right now he's just kind of trying to figure it all out. Soccer, t ball, you know, basketball, But he can play. And you know, like I said, he's he watches, he observes, and you know, he's a big fan. So Jalen's his favorite player. We went to the Knicks Jazz game when they were here in town, and he caught Jalen's attention. He waved at him, and of course that just made his day. I think it made my day more than his. But yeah, he's a big fan.
Speaker 1: Have you put a golf club in this young fella's hand yet.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a little bit, just a little you know, a little plastic sets it. Golf's tricky, as you know, I mean, we're we're adults. I still haven't figured it out. And I've been playing, you know, for the better part of a decade. So I feel like that's a long road and maybe I can get him some more quicker than golf. But eventually, yeah, we'll put a golf club in his hand and see what he can do. But got a long ways.
Speaker 1: To go for that, hopefully, Because when I was younger, I thought it was boring. I did not want to play golf. My grandfather may he rest in peace, loved it and he always said, like your natural athlete, you could be good at this if you wanted to. And then I would just get frustrated and quit, and I'd want to go shoot buckets. I want to go play basketball or football. So are you planning on fighting through the boardom to encourage him to keep playing the game, or you just kind of going to kind of let him find out what he loves on his own.
Speaker 8: Yeah, probably more of the latter, you know, figure out what he likes, you know, I think exposure is important, especially for kids, you know, expose him to everything and let them kind of pick what they excel at and what they enjoy. And if it's golf, great, you know, that would make me certainly a happy father, you know. But not going to push him, you know, in that in that direction. But you know, hopefully, you know, like I did, and it sounds like maybe you did as a youth. He'll pick it up recreationally and you know, from from there, we'll see what happens. But yeah, no, you're right. I mean eighteen holes as a kid back and that's long and it takes a little bit of time to learn to enjoy that. But we'll see what happens with him.
Speaker 1: What do you think it is about this game, the game of golf that seems to draw people in on a level where it truly turns into an addiction. And I'm not even kidding. What do you think it is about how people just get addicted to the game.
Speaker 8: I think it's I think it's those little moments of success, which of course are relative to the golfer. You know, if you're incredible and you're really talented, obviously you know your your success, and that little addiction might be shooting a sixty four, sixty three, going for the course record, winning championships, you know, But for the rest of us, it might be flushing a fore iron and that feel of, you know, hitting a grain in regulation and hitting a drive that's straight and far. And it's those I've always found you can get a golfer to hit, you know, just one, two or three of those moments in around where they think that was a lot of fun. I think I can do that again. I think that's where the addiction comes in, as Wow, I just flushed a fore iron. That's how it feels. I'm going to go back next week and I'm going to give it another shot, And if you can turn that into a few times each round, that's where the development comes. And that's where you know, those moments of you know, like you've kind of said that, that addiction which I think we've all had with golf, those that you know love the game, it's those small moments of success that give you.
Speaker 4: A taste.
Speaker 8: And you know what, you know, the really good player, you know, experiences on you on every shot basis. We don't get those very often, but with golf on any given day, you know, there's a lot of players that can hit a shot like a professional. They do it consistently. We do it maybe once around. But it's that one shot that I think gives people that hitch.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting you reference how the pros are so consistent with it. I don't know that I fully understood their ability to figure out problems and get out of trouble until I went down to Bay Hill as an honorary observer and followed Sam Stevens' Nick Taylor around the course. And then when you look at some of the stats like fairways hitting regulation or greens hitting regulation, these guys aren't hitting every fairway, they're not hitting every green, and watching their ability to problem solve has become like a fascination of mine. Have you noticed the same as you've watched some of these pros, Like yes, to your point, they're going to hit most of their shots pretty flush, but they're not hitting every fairway, they're not hitting every green. They've got to figure out how to solve and get out of trouble. That that to me is like the line of delineation.
Speaker 8: Sure, and you know, and I think it's you know, it's avoiding the big mistakes that I think. You know, amateur players, you know, tend to make the big numbers. You just don't see as often from the pros. All go out and make a number of double bogies and triple bogeys and around, and that's what kind of adds to that score. And those guys, you know, bogie for them is bad because, like you said, They're able to calculate, they're able to see risk, probably unlike you know us, you know, every day amateur player, and so you know, I think they avoid the big numbers more often than probably you know, the the double digit handicapped player is. And then just the talent, you know, to be able to pull off some of the shots. I'll say that maybe I can see the shot that's required, but I don't have the talent to pull the shot off. So I think that combination of, you know, if talent and risk management is really what makes you know, professional golfers the elite.
Speaker 1: You have a favorite golfer watch right now or historically? Is there one that comes to mind?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I hate to be right on the bandwagon, but I just there's I can't find anything not to like about Scottie Scheffler, both from a playing standpoint and just from a you know, who he is as a person. Of course, I don't know him personally, but from everything I see, just seems like a very likable guy. Like the way he plays his swing a little unorthodox, you don't see that every day, and it's consistent and just wins. And so, like I said, I hate to jump on the bandwagon of probably where everybody else is at. But I when he's in contention, I certainly like to jump in front of the TV and watch. He's probably one of my favorites right now.
Speaker 1: When he's dialed in. And I've talked about this on the show with a lot of my golf guests quite a bit. One of my big regrets is that I was not dialed into the game of golf when Tiger was Tiger. I wasn't watching. I had an opportunity. In nineteen ninety seven. I was living with my grandparents, and as I referenced, my grandfather was a big golfer, and for whatever reason Easton, it is known on the show that my grandfather named me nickname me Spencer Doobie when I was two years old. I don't know why. There's no way he knew what that was. I can promise you that. And so nineteen ninety seven, I'm a senior in high school and I'm downstairs and my grandfather yells down, do be come upstairs. This young man is about to make history. So we watched the final round of Tiger at Augusta, but I did not see Tiger at peak Tiger very much. I've watched some documentaries, I read the book, and I find him to be very fascinating, and I know that it is it is very, very dangerous to compare. Like golf gatekeepers in a way remind me a little bit of NBA gatekeepers when the Jordan stuff comes up, Like there are so many people and by the way, I'm one of them. There are so many people that will say Mike is the greatest and he'll always be the greatest. Do not come to me with Kobe or Lebron or I don't want to talk about it, Okay, And whenever I draw comparison to Tiger, it's like sacrilegious for golf gatekeepers. But at what point do we start talking about Scotty as potentially in the midst of the beginning of a run that kind of feels like it did when Tiger was being Tiger if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 8: And I think we're there. I think the run has at least started. You know, like you said, now, what made Tiger so great is you know, the how long the run really was and the dominant really was. I mean we saw with Rory he came out too, you know, when he was a younger golfer and he started that journey, and I think he had if I'm not mistaken, he had four majors right off the bat and then had to wait eleven years until he just recently won the Masters, And so you know, there's some cautionary tell there as well as yes, I think he's on that path. I think there's been other golfers like Rory, like Jordan Spief that have come out hot and then they've fizzled. So to be able to be that dominant, that consistent, I think that's what made Tiger, and that's what made Jack great.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: I think Scotty is certainly right there on the path. Only twenty eight he's got, you know, I would say fifteen twenty years of competitive golf lift and we'll see what he can do. You know, Tiger with fifteen majors, Scotty now has three, so he's got a little ways to go. But I mean, I'd be shocked if you if you asked me to predict, I'd be shocked if he's not at least at double digit majors by the end of his career. So he's a lot of fun to watch, and I think we're watching something special and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Does the Live thing move the needle for you at all? I mean I was going to ask you, like, I don't know how it would affect your job, but in you know, in and around the game of golf, it still seems to dominate the conversation. Part of me feels like we've settled into acceptance, if that makes sense, where like, all right, Live is just going to be around, and it's just going to be another tour. It's going to be like the USFL or Minor League Baseball or whatever it is. It's just, you know, for a while, it was okay, the merger's happening, and then there were negotiations and Jay Monahan and the the the leader of the PIF Fund, we're kind of like, all right, we're making progress and there's no progress. Then the President gets involved, like okay, maybe this is going to move the needle, and it hasn't, and we're just kind of in the place where we've come to this acceptance that Live is going to be lived, and the tour is going to be the tour, and the best players on Live that have earned the right to playing majors are going to have the right to do that. It feels like that's where we've landed. You think that's where we're always going to be. And does this stuff kind of move the needle with what you have to deal with day to day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, it's really tough to predict. I do agree that I think that we've kind of landed in this acceptance. I think that there was some turmoil there when Live was picking off some of the you know, the best tour players, and I think that made everyone uneasy. That's settled, and now kind of the rumors are Bryson could come back, John rom could come back. You know, there's some regrets that they took them money and don't get to play on the on the tour, you know, as Live loses those players. If that does happen and they lose a Jen Rahm and they lose you know, a Bryson de Shamba, I don't know. I mean, there's not a lot of interest in Live Golf right now, and if there was any, you know, without those golfers, I really don't know, like you said, outside of being a minor league, I just don't know how they survive now. Could they continue to pump money and and try and you know, I'll say, steal more players or take away more players from the tour maybe, but that hasn't happened. I feel like in you know, at least a year or two. So I don't know, you know, if I had to predict, I don't know that Live will be here long in the way that we know it, but I do, you know, I do agree that I think we've kind of landed in a place of acceptance and it seems like it's kind of settled a little bit, and you know, maybe they can come to grips or come to terms on an agreement where we can get some of these players on tour. Because how fun has it been to watch Into Shamba. I know he's not for everybody, but he's been incredibly relevant at the last three majors, I think top five in the last three, and a great personality and it's been a lot of fun to have him. I mean, golf is missing having Bryce into Shambles and having John Rahm's play, you know, in on a consistent basis on on weekends that we all get to watch. So hopefully we get those players all playing on one tour again. I you know, I'm strictly on the amateur side, you know, far more on the local side than ever having to deal with live. So you know, I just cheer for what's best for golf and let's get people excited to play. I don't know that that's live. I think it's more like Scotty, you know, on this tear that he's on, or Rory winning the Masters. I think that's what gets people excited. So that's what I tend to root for.
Speaker 1: We don't really need to get more people excited to play, Euston, We just we just don't. Okay, I've already presented my endeavor of hashtag shrink the game, which you summarily dismissed, and of course I'm being phasis just but before I set you loose, I know you've got tournaments, you've got mid ams, you've got state ams, qualifying senior and all that women, all that stuff. So what what do you want our listeners to know about what you have going on with the UGA?
Speaker 8: Yeah, appreciate it, and you know very much we're we're in the camp of expanding the game, and you know, we want everyone to come out and play as much golf as humanly possible and stack up the t sheets and and hopefully there's still some tea times that you can book as well. But you know, my challenge for any golfer that's listening, or even non golfer, is to push themselves to the to the next level, whatever that may be. You know, golf is on a boom right now. It seems like everyone's you know, trying to get in the game one way or another, whether it's at top golf, whether it's going to the driving range. I would encourage everyone to go get top golf a try go to the driving ranges if you're new to the game, and as you become more familiar, we'd love to have you as members.
Speaker 4: Of the UGA.
Speaker 8: You know, get a handicap index and start tracking your progress. That's that's our goal. We think it's you know, we helped develop those players that can go from just beginning to maybe one day playing you know, championship level golf here in the state. So I encourage everyone to go out and try something new, whatever that may be. And if you'll visit you JA dot org. That's how you can become a member, get a handicap index and play as much golf as possible.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you before I set you loose after you're on last time. I showed up the next morning to play around a bottleville and as I checked in paid the fee. As I was walking out, one of one of my guys up there said, hey, go easy on Easton, will you So? I don't know if you got any feedback last time, but people were listening, and I apologize if I went too hard on you.
Speaker 8: No, of course not. I know where you're coming from. Everyone wants to tea time, and everyone wants to get out there and play. You know, like I said, from our standpoint, love seeing t sheets full, and our golf professionals are working really hard to make it a good experience. But no, we want you to be able to get out there and play, you know, a quick round too. You know you're busy, So hope you'll keep playing.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I will? You know, I will, buddy. I appreciate the time today, and if the Knicks keep advancing, we're gonna keep having you on because now the good luck charm apparently he's in play, all right.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 8: Thanks for your time, Spence, Go.
Speaker 1: Nick Easton Folster, executive director of the Utah Golf Association. Go to UGA dot org or maybe don't, I don't know. Maybe you play pickleball, maybe go for a walk, maybe bride your bike, maybe walk the dog. You're crazy. I feel like too many people are way into it now.
Speaker 2: Listen. I get it as a guy who you know is often looking for a tennis quarter around Salt Lake and it's full, I understand, all right, I do, okay, full as pickleballers too.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, and most of the tennis courts are now open for pickleball players as well. Get me started. Just go up to the corner of let's see first South and University Park. That park there, the tennis courts, frat bros, no shirts, pickle ball all day.
Speaker 2: You know they're always there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are, all right, So go to UJA dot or Okay, just do that for our guy Easton. But you know it, honestly, golf is it's hard, it's boring, it's expensive, it's time consuming. Like why do you guys even want to play? Go do something else with your time. Yeah, it's it's it's here's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you go and you know you haven't played golf yet and you're you're wanting to get into it, You're not going to be good for years and years and years.
Speaker 1: Just know that, yep, just know that.
Speaker 2: You know it takes ten thousand hours plus probably of practice. Those are reps that you can't shortcut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys don't want to put yourself through that grind. You really don't. Maybe you do, Maybe you do. It's wildly addicting. Anyway, Time now to send somebody golfing for free. Stone Bridge, Oh nice love stone Bridge. Eighteen holes of stone Bridge on the line. It is the Festival at Teas, brought to you by our friends at the UGA. ESPN. Festival of Tea is powered by the Utah Golf Association. Each day of spring, ESPN seven Hunters is given away rounds of golf to the best courses in the state. Listening to The Down and Dirty with Scott Mitchell, The Shot O'Connell Show, and The Drive with Spence. Checkets for your chance to win each day from ESPN and the Utah Golf Association. Details can be found at ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. All Right. Final segment of the program on this Monday afternoon, the sun is trying to shine. I feel like it's been been a minute, little rainy, little cloudy, little chili for May. If April showers bring May flowers, what do May showers bring?
Speaker 2: Hopefully some more flowers.
Speaker 1: That's all. That's the best you could do.
Speaker 2: We need more flowers.
Speaker 1: I guess why do we need more flower? We need consistent sunshine. We need warmth, that's what we need. May has been chilly, We've had a cold spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we can have like a nice warm June then.
Speaker 1: Okay for you? Okay, fair enough, fair enough. No NBA playoff basketball tonight, Tom Haberstrow is going to binge the last of us. What do you what do you have plans on the docket on a Monday night when the conference finals don't get going until tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm getting to the point I probably need to make a list on on stuff I need to catch up on. When you're you're talking all the series and whatnot. I am not up to date on Gemstones, which is when I do enjoy. Uh maybe some of that. I'm building a garden this week, so I'm finishing that.
Speaker 1: Look at you, mister green thumb, But not much, Bob Vila over here.
Speaker 2: Who's that? Oh my gosh, is that the Toolhouse Guy?
Speaker 1: This Old House with Bobby? You know what? That actually ages me a lot, because I think I was young when Bob. You know, I'm gonna I'm gonna do a Google Google shows you've never heard of Bob Vila.
Speaker 2: I think I know who you're talking about. But deep, deep memories.
Speaker 1: There was an old TV show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I told yeah, yeah, the Toolhouse Guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah there was. It was an old TV show called This Old House with Bob Vila, and my parents loved it and when I was a kid, we used to watch it. I don't even know when it was on. I was probably on, like back in the eighties. That may have been. Honestly, that may have been the oldest reference that I've ever made on the show. Vila was hired as the host of This Old House in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 2: And then, wasn't he the guy like across the fence on tim the No? Was it not the same guy?
Speaker 1: It's not the same guy.
Speaker 2: I thought it was the same guy.
Speaker 1: Let's see. This Old House was on from nineteen seventy nine to nineteen eighty nine. That officially is the oldest reference I've ever made on the show. I think I told you. I shocked somebody recently who asked me when I was born when I revealed that I was actually born in the seventies. That's the oldest reference I've ever made on the show, for sure. I dig it. I dig it. I like that.
Speaker 2: I like the seventies reference.
Speaker 1: So you're building a garden in your house or excuse me, in your yard outside of the house. Any are these flowers? Are they vegetables that you'll be able to like actually eat?
Speaker 2: I like to. I usually if I have the space, I like to grow like everything that I've got, all my vegetables and stuff. I like to grow at myself. So that's that's the hope. Maybe a few flowers if I got extra room. But uh yeah, berries, peppers, tomatoes, stuff I can eat.
Speaker 1: I am very impressed. I do not have the natural the natural green thumb. Is it something that you have naturally or as a result of being raised in God's country to just kind of learn the skill a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Both, I would say I definitely, you know, tended to enough crops growing up a little bit that I I've got a a bit of a head start, but yeah, it was. It was always something I've I've done. I'm a green thumb, whether it comes to the garden or like my house plants. Like I don't have pets, so those are those are my things until I have room for pets.
Speaker 1: Grown any weed not at the moment. Okay, don't, don't, don't. Don't incriminate yourself.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, can I can I tell you on the radio if I was Oh, yeah, no, okay, sorry, okay, shout out to Fred Warner.
Speaker 1: Three years, sixty three million dollar extension. So some good stuff there. Well, oh, I know what I wanted to ask you. Do you think the Mets are good? I can't wait for this, you think. Do you think the Mets are good? Don't you?
Speaker 2: They have a good roster.
Speaker 1: They do have a good roster.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. They weren't good ten years ago, twelve years ago, thirteen years ago. We never had good Mets teams. And then we started to have this thing where we did have good rosters. You go back to the year we did make the World Series, that pitching staff was the best in the league and it wasn't close. You go back to like the Matt Harvey, Cinderguard de Graham like, the fact that those Mets didn't make genuine runs outside of the one they lost to the Royals is a bit absurd. So we're now going on this, I want to say, almost a decade now, Spence, where the Mets have had good rosters and still haven't been good. So I just I throw my hands up at this point. At least the Knicks, now that they have good rosters, they're actually good. The Mets seem to be able to still be bad or embarrassing when they have good players. But I'll hold off hope because they started all right.
Speaker 1: Conference finals in pro basketball begins tomorrow with the Western side of things. Then on Wednesday it's the Eastern side of things. So of course stay two. We have you covered there porter what comes our way on a Tuesday edition of the show.
Speaker 2: On a Tuesday edition the program you mentioned. Of course, NBA Conference finals start tomorrow, so we'll double up on the NBA daily assists from ESPN. It's Tim McMahon joining us as he does each and every Tuesday. We're gonna catch up with our friend Lee Ellis, of course a guy from down Under, but he covered the entirety of the Eastern Conference semi finals. So we'll check in with Lee Richard Smitty Smith in studio for an entire hour, and then we'll cap off the show catching up with someone from Real Salt Lake. Of course, a tough outing for them over the weekend of one nil loss.
Speaker 1: Did you try to lob a shot on target text to somebody that was rejected by RSL? Or how were you able to book someone from the club. Well, that was rude.
Speaker 2: That was a little rude.
Speaker 1: Now score a goal, man, I.
Speaker 2: Know, listen, what did you say? Two hundred and fifty minutes?
Speaker 1: Almost two fifty and Pablo said to the Apple TV broadcasters he would be surprised if Diego Luna is around after the summer transfer window.
Speaker 2: That's the other part. If you if you need an attack and you've got guys that uh, you know, maybe on the way out, where are you going to be after that? It's a it's a it's an interesting spot. RSL is in. Yeah, we'll we'll see who they they wrangle up to join us tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, We'll say good night, special thank you, Bobby Marks, Tom Haber Show, Tony Parks and Easton Fulster. For any of the sound, go to the website ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Download our app, Take us on the Goats, How I'll had sow I listen to the station. The seven app is available in the App Store the Google play Store. Then for what we do in our space podcast page, it is called The Drive with Spence. Check it, subscribe, rate, review, say nice things in the comments, give us all the stars. Wherever you get your shows, We're there, reporter. I'm Spence saying I have a great Monday evening. We'll talk to you on a Tuesday edition of the Drive right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two ONEFM. We are proud to be part of utah z ESPN Radio Network