Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services ensure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: They're good enough to do it.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. No guest host today, but I kind of have a guestwan.
Speaker 4: How are you doing it? Doing it another Wednesday? Halfway through the week, halfway to Friday.
Speaker 2: So you like kid? You like kid?
Speaker 5: Yes, it feels good.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'll screw it up. I could. I try not to. Hey, you know when you could be fifty percent right on a pick? Sure you do. I was truth, truth or you know whatever that phrases. I had the score right, I didn't have the winner right. H Someone pointed out today to me today eighty five sent me force my thought. I think, I said, but I had a b Are you winning?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Could you watch the game? I did? Did you think that? And I know everyone's asked Steve Hayes the team.
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 2: Did BYU misshots in the second half or did Arizona defend them? Well a little bit of both.
Speaker 4: To start that second half, Byu started missing shots, right, But then it got to a point where Arizona wasn't allowing them to get good shots by you started to force because of the pressure that was applied.
Speaker 2: But that was more in the second late second half, the second.
Speaker 4: Half, and at that point there was nine point lead and I think they had taken the lead for a brief second. Kill Love hits a three, yeah, and the rest is history.
Speaker 2: Right. So I didn't write about last night story. I was too tired. I had meetings in the morning with my other job. But I would have said this. I think this was the most impressive game of the win of the year by Arizona, given it was on the road, tough spot, they were underdogs. I played pretty well, pretty well all things considered. Uh, the Iowa State game was pretty good, but that was a sample. Yeah, you know, a lucky shot wins it wins it for them or you know, gets them in overtime. But I think this was probably the most impressive win of the year.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, I would say so, especially because b yu that they're gonna hit threes and then's what you did that first half. And when when you play a team like that, that's that's a scary team to face in March at that I think b YU will end up setting a top team.
Speaker 2: They don't play again, right, they don't play again?
Speaker 5: That don't they do?
Speaker 7: They do?
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think. We'll see what I do the later.
Speaker 5: Two Saturdays, three saturdays from now.
Speaker 4: Okay, six or eight, that's what it says right out of what March no. February February twenty second, oh two a second? Okay, cool, So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: They were a good shooting team day or you know whatever last night, but every want to play well from all all facets. Caleb Love had a pretty good game. Henry continues to do what he's doing. Jaleb Jayden Bradley again a nice, consistent, good, good everything.
Speaker 4: He started off a bit slow too, and then he found his way to the line and he ends up with the quiet seventeen.
Speaker 2: And they got to the basket a lot, you know, instead of the threes, they got to the basket a lot. Hit three throws again. Uh this maybe I can't remember the last time Amrazone was so good on the free throwing. They were like they only missed like three or four in the last two games.
Speaker 4: It's been a while, and even you don't want to jinx it because to start this season, they were horrendous at the line in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Well because what was going on, uh was grievous. Grievous can shoot free throws? Well I didn't, I didn't realize they were horrendous.
Speaker 4: But when you when you look at the score and you see the difference, and you're like, well, if we probably hit, if they probably hit a couple of more free throws, it's a closer game.
Speaker 5: Maybe they would they use momentum.
Speaker 2: It doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: No, But what going back to BYU, that's that's a dangerous team. You can lose a lot of confidence quick when they're hitting all those trees in the rackoeus great crowd, great crowd for a Tuesday night nine o'clock game.
Speaker 2: That's overstated because we don't know the lifestyle up there. We know there are more morments whatever, we don't I don't know. It's like, what do you know about Texas basketball? Not a lot exactly, We don't know, just because you know, we know that they're good or whatever, and that's all we know. B Yu. I've been to Provo a few times, it's always pretty good up there. What else is you gonna do right late at night in Provo and Tucson too. That's one of the reasons why Arizona is the best team because it's all they have. Yeah, especially especially when they're good.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the differences with this team right now is their mindset because yes, because uh, the game like last night. Uh, if you put at an early time elod team or even a sham Miller team into that game, it was confident. It's quick. They probably get blown out that night and they lose. But they said, so what, they're hitting threes, Let's just do our thing. Let's get to the line, let's let's get some easy baskets.
Speaker 2: And they did, they did, they did. Yeah, when they tied the halftime, that was a good indication. They blew like past the over under pretty easy when sixty whatever, one fifty something. Uh so yeah, no, they're they're doing really well. And again Tommy Lloyd is being hailed as this guru, which.
Speaker 5: He was supposed to be fired about a month ago, right by.
Speaker 2: People who on the internet, the Twitter Twitter experts, yep, exactly. Yeah, So like I see people, know, what do you mean by that. I don't know to follow that Twitter. Damn Twitter thing. Twitter is a joke doesn't exist anymore, not Twitter. It was more U uh yeah, because they want to know TikTok. They want to TikTok. That's a whole different story. Yeah, okay, so, uh there's that if you want to call in five to zero, four one, six, seventy four, forty. Today's big day was signing day at U of A or all over the country with college football. We talked to Troy Heidssen with Goisycats dot com about that they had a press convers at one. I did that out of tend because I was here, So we'll get the scoop. I think we'll play a little of Brennan about that regarding you don't know what he said, right, I have it on queue, so we'll probably listen to that at the second half of the hour.
Speaker 4: But I didn't realize is that Arizona brought in fifty three new players.
Speaker 2: Overall overall, overall transfers that they sit on their website, including the signings.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I said, fifty three players to the program during the twenty five recruiting cycle.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize the way of the world is now, because I think they had the same about last year. So you almost have your half, your entire roster is new placed. Yeah, way the world, way in the world. I'm sure. I was asking do you like it? Do you not care?
Speaker 4: I don't really care. I think I think at this point we just got to get used to it. It's not going everybody. Everybody is dealing with it. Yeah, right, that's how you across. I mean, how many players from last year's basketball team were on.
Speaker 5: This We're on the roster last year.
Speaker 2: Jayden Caleb we sure didn't play uh kJ history.
Speaker 4: You have the bench, yeah, Martinez.
Speaker 2: About four or five four maybe, Yeah, So you know it's it's it's not a crapshoot, but it's a revolving door type of situation. It's just how good you're gonna coach them up. So we'll see what happens. Keept about two months left before the tournament starts. Two months, No, about two and a half. Two and a half, yeah, because that's gonna happen in Kansas City. And then the first round of the tournament. Are you gonna go to that? No? No, because the Big twelve they go this is the situation. They play at Iowa State, then they come home to play Issue, and then they go to Kansas, and then from Kansas they go to the tournament right to the total tournament. There's just too much moving parts there. If they if I go to Kansas to the Kansas game, I'm staying in Kansas City to go to that and that could be a one game, two game thing. Uh, and then you have to turn around and go back to the stably tournament. So we got to call, Hello, you're on the air nine of the ball. Who's this? Hi, Steve? This is done? Don What do you got Hey? Man?
Speaker 8: I I just got off the phone with somebody else, and now I was telling me, I go, you know, I think I gotta admit that that this team is is pretty good, you.
Speaker 2: Know what done. I'm not gonna go as far as pretty good, but I'll say good because I didn't think that before. I didn't. I certainly didn't.
Speaker 8: And like last night, even though you know they had some they had some DEAFA sets or whatnot, but you know, it wasn't that long ago where they get a deficit and you could just see in the body language that this game is over. You know, and it's like fourteen minutes left in the game.
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 8: But last night it just did not seem that at any time that even though even though BYU was hitting shots early on, it just did not seem like, you know, it didn't seem automatic that this is going to get away from them.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you. I was asked this question. I really didn't know how to answer this. On a THO was of a talk show with Peaks, and they asked me what the difference was, and I said, I threw a smorgage board of stuff there. What do you think the difference has been from your not so good or good to being very good? I think I think the body language. Maybe there's a little bit more.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it's I don't know if it's confidence or it's more being comfortable with where they're at, Like nobody's pressing, nobody's throwing up, you know, trying to make a seven point you know, a seven point jump shot because one doesn't exist. It just seemed like it seemed like early in the season that you know, it was like, man, we got to get a shot up because we need points instead of let's, you know, let's run it through the offense, make the extra, make the smart pass, take the smart shot.
Speaker 2: And last night, more often than not, we were what's that? Are you referring to one person?
Speaker 8: I think the one person really stands out that when he doesn't when he doesn't have when he doesn't have his shot, or if he's not in his in his rhythm he's making, he's making a smart pass unless it's getting to the end of the shot clock, whereas hey, we got to get it up anyway. Well, doesn't matter who takes it.
Speaker 2: That might be your answer. I mean, how come things have changed? Maybe because Caleb has kind of settled into a nice role offensively and defensively. You know when did you think you'd say that or I would say that defensively And he's he's finding his overall role. I think so too.
Speaker 8: I think that, and it seems like it's rubbing off on other guys. I think it shows up more in Caleb because he's he's more the focus. But when like when Vasar goes in, like we know what we're going to get from him, he's going to be available for that pass to come in and if he's got a if he's got a crack. He's going to try to jam that thing in the hole, and he's gonna he's gonna make a statement that kind of more or less says, hey, you're gonna have to focus down here defensively against us, which only opens up the jump shots for us. And I think that I think there's there's an overall relaxedness of this of the team. Now you you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, go ahead. Do you remember off the top of your head he shot last night because he missed them, shocking Caleb One's looking at it up.
Speaker 5: He went six for.
Speaker 2: Six, six for sixteen. Okay, so here you go, six for sixteen, not brilliant, not great. But if he continues to do six for sixteen, are you gonna take that? I have my answer. We're gonna have to. I mean we have to.
Speaker 8: I mean we've been saying that since the Iowa State game. The way he goes, that's the way the team goes. Now you're gonna miss shots. He keeps shooting six for sixteen, As Miss d would probably say, he needs to get hit the road because those are those are increase of numbers, right.
Speaker 2: But but I mean.
Speaker 8: If he's doing other things if he's playing defense, you can you can accept a couple of those misses because he's not. He's not just six for sixteen and not playing defense.
Speaker 2: You know he is.
Speaker 8: Long as as long as the game is more complete, I think I think we're fine with it so so to because if you went six or sixteen and the team lost, I know, this hypothetical whatever, I don't think you'd accept that.
Speaker 2: It just it just depends.
Speaker 8: I mean, like last night last night, there was there wasn't anybody language from anybody on the floor that that that made it look like BYU really stood a chance.
Speaker 2: Well, don't you think the last night was more of a team win than anything else? I think it was. It was a complete win. I mean it was a it was a win.
Speaker 8: All around because a waka was balling, everybody was balling.
Speaker 2: And then who was it? Who was who were we talking about?
Speaker 8: Was it was it Lewis or Bradley? That somebody was saying that every game? You know, he gets this, you know, he gets a he gets a quick layup that like they're just barely little bit of light in the doorway and you go straight to the hole like out of nowhere, and he and he's it seemed like it seemed like he was doing that.
Speaker 2: He did it a few times last night. Don thanks for calling break right now. We gotta go, We gotta go, Thanks man, Thanks for this is always appreciate it. Hey, let's go take a break here for a few minutes, get ahold of Troy, talk about today's signing and more about today's or last night's basketball game.
Speaker 9: Now now your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nationwide keyword on our website. Bank that's bank, Enter it right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement From the latest slots in table games to award winning dining too world class entertainment to.
Speaker 5: A luxurious resort.
Speaker 10: Cover all this and more discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki Try The.
Speaker 11: Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 12: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health and leading it and exercise equipment on twenty second this quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you. In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to chew. It is from Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 15: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K Ninez two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lyndrix, Syncredit, greats and avaiable loan programs of subject to change with don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five.
Speaker 5: Years with the best in.
Speaker 2: Sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 16: From rare five to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere fruh Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 17: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time you experienced the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifier is coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Kenosports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch a league baseball talent from around the globe. Feel the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Whether you're a lifelong fan.
Speaker 7: Or just looking for an unforgettable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March.
Speaker 2: Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait.
Speaker 7: Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com that's SASA dot com to cure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film authority.
Speaker 11: The Window DEEPOT wants to help bring your dream ca to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service. You won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware, and sinks. Our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the window Deepot dot com the Window Depot more than a window store.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts radio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I in.
Speaker 3: The Ball here on Fox Sports sporteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera. Today with me is one working the boards as well, and now on the fun we have Troy Hutchison from goazycatch dot com. Troy, how are you doing it? Are you okay? Back there? Do I need to cross somebody?
Speaker 18: And no, I'm glad. You know.
Speaker 3: I've just left another busy signing period, warriers on it, but I'm being good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, SOE made observation. You said, fifty three, fifty three, fifty three new guys coming in including this class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, twenty eight from the twenty twenty five recruiting class. Fifty three total new players on the roster. Some of which have been with the Wildcats previously, like thais Iveya was there a couple of years ago. And you know that's not even including players that entered the transfer portal that returned.
Speaker 18: To the roster.
Speaker 3: I think that was about nine to ten players as well that entered the portal and then came back.
Speaker 2: So I asked you online, because I was on another show, where does this team rank into the recruiting class? What does it rank right now?
Speaker 3: On rivals dot com? We have them at forty second nationally and that moved up three spots after the signing of Peter Laney.
Speaker 2: So that's you know, honestly, having covered recruiting for a long time back in the day, that's pretty solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, back then and previously before Jet Dish, a lot of recruiting classes in Arizona where I would say about fifty five and above. Yeah, Mike stop added into the low twenty sometimes into the teams. I don't know about going back to the Dictoma era. Recruiting was very different back then. But you know, a lot of for having a down year, a lot of turnover on the coaching staff and trying to piece stuff together to come out at forty two nationally is not too bad.
Speaker 4: You know, we know some of those players that could come back, Dalton Johnson, Genesis Smith. Who are some of the newcomers either from the high school level or from the JUCO level that that Arizona should be Arizona fans should be looking out for you?
Speaker 2: Who are the crown jewels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think the two crown jewels in my opinion of this recruiting classes, Peter Lady, it's like the cherry on top offensive lineman, you know, out of San Francisco. His brother is committed for the twenty twenty six recruiting class. But anytime you can get six foot six, three hundred and thirty pounds on your roster as a Frenchman, you feel in pretty good shape.
Speaker 18: Obviously he probably needs to.
Speaker 3: Trim down a little bit, but I think back to great ad for Arizona and then, you know, just going over some of these names here real quick. I've always loved Wesley Yarborough, four start back out of Texas kind of went under the radar, which is weird to say as a four star back out of Texas. But Houston, I think Oklahoma State and Arkansas were heavily involved in his recruitment at Arizona State. Steady on that and you know he broke records out there in the state of Texas. Do it all back, he's going to be really exciting for Arizona. And then really focusing on the offensive line. There's other Polynesian players like Goo and and today that are going to be really good for Arizona. And I think that was the main focus for this recruiting class, was stabilizing your offensive line, and not only you know, on the outside with the dackles, but the inside as well, because we all know that's.
Speaker 18: Where you win in college football is on the line.
Speaker 2: What do you think this class, you know, being forty two or whatever says about Brenton Now, does it kind of get some people off the back? Does it say okay, we'll wait and see what does it do?
Speaker 3: I think it's optimism. I don't think it gets people off his back by any any means necessary. If you're able to get a couple of guys that they're in play for and you end up in that top thirty, top twenty five, possibly, but I think it's a very good starting foundation for his first through recruiting class. You know, because he came in when Jetfish left and he had to piece together that recruiting class that I believe ended somewhere around.
Speaker 18: Fifty to fifty sixty.
Speaker 3: Didn't end very well, But that's always hard to put together. You look across the board, it's a lot of defense alignment, it's a lot of offense alignment.
Speaker 18: Showing up the secondary.
Speaker 3: It's all the little things that you need on the roster that Arizona's don't have previously last season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw a tweet from Justin Spears today that Arizona added the size of full, full grown Polar Bears in a one mid sized hippo. Is that something that comes with the new coaches such as.
Speaker 5: I'm blaking on his name right now, but.
Speaker 4: So Telavia, is that a product of him now on the coaching staff?
Speaker 3: You know, I think you're seeing a product of him on the coaching staff. Adding some of these transfers, like getting Tsavea back to Arizona from Texas. I think that's a huge Joe Salavea move right there. But you're seeing his impact more for the twenty twenty six they've offered a lot of guys that are four or five star players that Arizona both offensively and defensively. Minds you, in terms of being in the Polynesian community, that I don't think Arizona would be in play for that they didn't have Joe Salave on their coaching staff.
Speaker 2: So you've been doing this a while now. You're still a kid to me. You know that. So I'll give you ni L. I give you coaching, and I give you playing time and U ni L coaching playing time and individual individual and the school and the school? What give me the order?
Speaker 3: I will give me the.
Speaker 2: Order of importance to the kids.
Speaker 18: I will go number one. Uh, well, we'll go with playing time.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of opportunity both sides of the ball. We talked about an offensive line. There's gonna be a lot of opportunity there, and then defensively, there's gonna be a lot of opportunity for freshmen and transfers to see the football field.
Speaker 18: So to me, that's number one. Number two, I'll go with coaching in.
Speaker 3: Terms of uh family environment and the people around the program.
Speaker 18: You bring into o Salava, you bring in you know, uh Seth Dougie and what he can do. A lot of.
Speaker 3: Texas kids in the sircruity class. So you saw that Texas influence. Uh so, a lot of familiarity in terms of coaching staff. And then lastly, you know the university. I think when you step foot on this campus and you know we're sitting here in February where it's supposed to be cold in most places and it's eighty six degrees and beautiful outside, Yeah, I think I would want to come to Duson or a police out west compared to being snowed in in the Midwest and back east.
Speaker 2: Was So, did you miss nil or did you put it in three?
Speaker 18: It's not on my board, it's.
Speaker 2: Not on your You know what. Kids love money, many they do.
Speaker 3: But I don't think Arizon has the NIL to sway these high.
Speaker 18: Level four star recruits.
Speaker 3: If Arizona is winning them over, nil is a part of it, yes, but it's not the major part.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, go good for them if they're not having to waive a lot of money around. They do have money. I don't want to get anybody wrong. They do have money, just not a whole heck of a lot of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have money, it's just you're you're shopping at Walmart. You're not shopping, you know, at at the high level.
Speaker 18: Stores in terms of not money.
Speaker 4: So okay, So so obviously Arizona doesn't have the Ohio State two million dollars roster money.
Speaker 3: Million.
Speaker 5: They got a lot, they got, They got more than.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say.
Speaker 18: I think it has the potential for the two million dollar.
Speaker 4: I don't know, But regardless of the money situation, it seems like they're going the route of billion the culture, as we saw with Dashrafia committeing. You know, that's a legacy of a family right there. Come into Arizona and we'll see if it, if it stays, or what happens with it.
Speaker 5: But what does what does that type of commitment mean for the program?
Speaker 3: In Bret Brennan, Yeah, you know, Dash is a linebacker that has a lot of work to do. The same thing could have been said for Noah when he came to the program as well. But just a solid, i'mbacker that you can build around. But it just goes back to the roots of Arizona football when Arizona went from a decent program to a good program underneath Larry Smith, underneath Tectomy, and that was recruiting the Polynesian community and going back to their roots with the poly kids. For Arizona football to be successful, they hack to recruit the Polynesian community.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's why you have Joe Salve on the on the coaching staff. That's why you have Duayne and Kenah on the coaching staff. That's why you have Brett Brennan that knows the background of that. When Arizona's add its bets, Uh, they are full fully ingrained in the Polynesian community and to a lesser extent, which you're seeing with this recruiting class, they're dipping their toes into the state of Texas.
Speaker 4: I know today's supposed to be about the signing and the kids, but yesterday we got the full schedule for the for the football team coming next season.
Speaker 5: What are some of those games that you're.
Speaker 4: Kind of keeping your eye and we got they got a trip to ames Iowa with the Big twelve runner ups.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know, ames Isla.
Speaker 3: That's gonna always be a tough trip, not only because I always staying in Dan Campbell.
Speaker 18: They do a tremendous job there, but it's just a.
Speaker 3: Really tough place to play and it's a tough trip to make I'm sure it's not very comfortable.
Speaker 18: I don't know if you can.
Speaker 3: Fly directly into Ames, Iowa. Kind of going back to when Aaron's gonna have to fly to Pollman to play Washington State.
Speaker 18: You never flew right into Pullman.
Speaker 3: You flew into Moscow, or you flew into spoke In and drove up there. So that's always difficult. And I look at it in terms of this, for this schedule. Out of the twelve games, eight of them you play in the state of Arizona, seven home games and one in ten p So eight out of twelve games you're not leaving the state coming off of a down year, kind of RETOOLI and.
Speaker 18: Repiecing the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: I think this is the best schedule you could ask for where, yes, it's gonna be travel, but you're gonna limit your travel and you're not gonna stay very much of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes makes sense. O Gate, I was gonna ask you, but I'm gonna have you as my guest tomorrow. How uh, how optimistic are you for next year given the schedule, given the recruits, and you talked about freshman and if you're gonna rely on freshman, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: You know, they're they're gonna have some freshmen, but I think it's gonna.
Speaker 18: Be relying a lot on the transferportal.
Speaker 3: Uh, seeing if they hit on guys in the secondary, on the offensive line, and to show up some of the pieces, uh, the running back group. I think that's gonna be critical. The receiving core. They really revamped that receiving corps. I like the schedule for Arizona.
Speaker 18: I do like Joe Salava. I think the defense side of the ball is going to be tremendous with Dannigan Zalz as they get healthier from last year.
Speaker 3: I think last year could have been better if it wasn't for the health of the roster. Offensively, Let's see, you know, let's see how's how it's gonna go with.
Speaker 18: The new system.
Speaker 3: Only a second year offense coordinator, a very young guy out of Texas that is in the quote unquote air raid system, but loves to keep a balanced offense. So I look at Arizona what they have on the roster and think maybe somewhere between six and at most eight wins. I do think this is going to be a boll team getting to that six win mark. But if you can get to that eight.
Speaker 18: Win mark, that that would be a tremendous season.
Speaker 2: You uh, you saw last next game, right, I'm assuming I did.
Speaker 18: I've seen it up.
Speaker 2: Would you come out with that game?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 3: And previous years man, I heard Wan mentioned this, especially under Sean Miller. When they're hitting their three balls early in the game, the opponent usually you see Arizona start to struggle, start to tend sub they just played their game. I think it's one of the most composed games I've seen on the road in terms of a hostile environment for Arizona, because that BYU craft was tremendous.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 3: They kept on going inside, attacking the glass, dominated on the backboards, dominated in the PA, and down the rhythm offensively and got enough stops to win that game.
Speaker 18: And it looked like a team that has posed.
Speaker 3: For an Elite eight Final four run, just going about their business throughout the regular season against the high level opponent, but making it look like.
Speaker 18: An opponent where yeah, we should beat these guys.
Speaker 3: And there's no question about it, even though it's a tremendous game by BYU, just a very well composed game by Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said on the air, that we're gonna go after this, that that was probably their most complete good game of the season.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, there wasn't a lot of slip ups. There were moments where I felt like they could have extended that lead. But sometimes the ball bounces weirdly and odd places that Byu was able to capitalize on that. But this is one of those games where it could have been a trap game as you look at Texas back and they just went on the road to care business in a hostile environment and they are coming back home to face the Red Raiders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 18: Thanks, see you guys.
Speaker 2: By agree, let's take a break one. I think we're going to get another call after the break, and then maybe we'll listen to Brendan's maybe first five minutes, and then we'll got to talk more about it. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 19: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Inside four AH three five five one four four four four ah three five five one four.
Speaker 14: Four four what's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate. You need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 2: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Who is it them at? Twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or colum At five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 12: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona.
Speaker 19: Health from Leading Edge and Exercise Equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot, Tucson.
Speaker 14: It's time for the Cool of Garden Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisodor's Helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and cohed So a live in concert at Rito Park. The Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting Colo Rectal Cancer Awareness and Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by Foul Bomb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 1: This is Ie on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio. Just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're one, and we got about fifteen minutes. Maybe maybe you've got a good amount of time today, Yeah, fifteen minutes. We went on early nice, which is good. We're going to listen to some Brent Brennan stuff early in about a few minutes, Rick called. Maybe, Rick, if you want to call us back, We've got some time for you. I also want to let people know that we'll be back at the Casino Real Sports Book, Soul Sports on Friday, Jay and I. So if you want to go by, please do have a little fun before the game on Sunday. A lot of things going on. Obviously they can go bet bet the game Friday. I think I think it's one and a half right now. Probably has been there for a while, Yeah, I think it's I think it's been stuck there. Yeah, I haven't seen anything move. I don't think it's probably gonna move at all. There's Workieman's Band jam out with the Workie Man's Band February sixth, that's tomorrow at the Tropical Lounge. There's a one hundred thousand super Paper Rock Scissors contest that's been there for a little while. Pretty popular NFL cross game matchups. I think, well there's only two games. There's only one game now, so you know, go play at the Soul Sports and a lot of things. I think at at the poker room, they're gonna have splash spots on the poker table for when teams score, they'll splash the tables. I'm not sure what the what the value is gonna be, but that's kind of free money after team score and six pack Sunday February ninth and the sixteenth one three six pack for a qualified's club sole member, they'll give away all that any clubs so remember who earns one hundred and fifty dollars in slots points can pick up a beverage with that. So a lot of stuff going on at Del Soul. One of my favorite places obviously because they host us every once a month. Okay, you can call us five two o four one six seventy four forty. I'd like to hear from you. You want to just go ahead and play them, and if anybody calls, we can can stop it.
Speaker 20: Okay, all right, welcome, It's good to see everybody. Obviously, this is as an exciting day for us. It's also, uh, it's the first time that we have a chance to talk kind of about what's happened since the initial sign day of high school and junior college players in the early December period. It has been an exciting and intense process for us.
Speaker 6: We feel great about the young people that we've added to our football program here at the u of A. And there's a lot of people that I got to talk about because I think it's important we understand what this was. Over the last you know whatever six weeks or eight weeks, we had fifty nine official visits in twenty five days, okay, which is just an insane amount, right That used to be what you would have in a calendar year for a single recruiting class. So really really intense, really really short windows. What we joked about as a staff is it like portal recruiting is like speed dating, but at the end of it, you're getting married and then the next group comes in. They were all one day visits. It was really really exciting. I think, you know, our staff did an incredible job, and I got to talk about some of them. Ben Deine is our chief of staff who was involved in conversations with everybody from parents to agents, to players to recruits to high school coaches. A ton of work done there, and all done at an extremely high level. Our recruiting team, Guiska Crowley, Fletcher, Kelly, Katie Joyner, and Kamalee Yaquina. The identification process of these people in the portal and how quickly those decisions had to be made was amazing and insane at the same time. When you think about our normal recruiting process for a high school player, you're thinking about twelve, eighteen, twenty four months. Well, this was sometimes five hours and we were making a determination on whether or not to bring the young person on campus. Our compliance Chris and Arquilla shoot. I think Ben was on the phone with her at midnight last night finalizing one of the letters of intent or not the financial aid agreement for one of the recruits that we signed today. She was always available, always on it. She was outstanding. Our academics, right, part of that. You bring in fifty nine players, they have to give the academic You know, our Cats program is incredible, right. We have a team GPA over a three point zero in the in the fall semester, which is something that absolutely has to be celebrated because that is very, very hard to do and I'm so appreciative of people over in Cats and so Andy Selgatto was the one that was giving all these presentations to these recruits to their parents, and it didn't matter what day of the week, because it was a seven day a week process. It wasn't like we took a day off in the middle of it. And then our training staff in our you know, Paul Smith and Cole and Carrol, our strength staff, you know both of them. Every recruit, every family wants to know how are you going to take care of our son or our brother or our grandson and how are you going to develop him? And so there was an incredible amount of work for both of those groups in strength and in the training room. Tobrook Blaine with Beyond Football, you know, I think that's one of the best things we do. We just had an incredible event with Lance Briggs and Paul Shields up there just talking about building your brand and life after football, and just Tobrook does an incredible job. And so for every one of these recruits, Tobrooke made a presentation about how she was going to help them build a meaningful life beyond the football field. The Sands and beardown kitchen crew, right, like Chef Danny and his crew, y'all need to come have lunch with us sometime up there. Like the juice that these people bring to work every day, the positive energy, like what they mean to our team, the relationships they have with our players and all the student athletes here at Arizona is incredibly special. And that's a lot of meals they had to prepare for all of us during these visits. Our creative team, Steven Zalez, Mackenzie Hamilton, Chris Hogan, and when you start seeing this stuff on social media, right, that's all these edits, the pictures that are taken, the videos that are produced, just an incredible amount of work from them, just a lot of fun. And then Lauren Bossler and Courtney Deathlison with our onboarding team. That's also a logistical nightmare, right because you have a super tight window trying to get all these players here in time for the start of school, which was I think January fourteenth or fifteenth, a really tight when and you have you know, Christmas break, and you're trying to accelerate this process for them you know, where are they going to live? You know, you know all these things. They got to get into school, they got to have all their academics situated, so they were incredible. And then also our athletic administration, Desiree read Francois and her team, you know, Tony Daniel, Rachel Blunt, and Bud Sasser, and they all had different roles to play in it. The really cool thing that I think everybody needs to know is that for almost every one of these athletes, Desiree made time for them. She came and met with them in our facility, and sometimes she'd address the group and sometimes if she had you know, she's a busy person, and sometimes it was just she came to lunch and would sit with the families and have lunch with the families and get to know everybody. And so her effort was outstanding. And then I think our coaching staff did an incredible job because obviously, like I've said, fifty nine official visits in twenty five days is like nothing any of us have ever experienced. And it was intense and it was exciting, and our coaches wives were involved, and we're so grateful for them because they're part of this right, They're part of the family vibe and how it feels around here. So them showing up to these official visits was so important.
Speaker 2: So we're e'sid him.
Speaker 6: Thirty three year, thirty three mid year enrollees, right, which is much different than we had a year ago because we missed the first portal based on when we were hired. And so now those players are here, and there's players that we've chosen to be here, and we can't wait to get going.
Speaker 2: So that's the stuff there. That was like six seven minutes. How long was that? What did you say?
Speaker 4: That was about seven minutes of a lot of thank you? But what I caught was that he invited the media to lunch.
Speaker 2: Oh I saw that.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty I'm pretty pumped about that.
Speaker 2: That ain't gonna happen. But I guess too, why not let's do it? What did he say?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: God, I really didn't tell. Obviously I would just say okay, but well, thank you everybody, let's go and questions what do you got?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it did say a lot by that's all. So just who he is, right, He is very appreciative of everyone that that was involved of the process.
Speaker 5: Uh, And he seems very passionate about this class.
Speaker 2: How do you say thank you in five thousand words?
Speaker 5: That's yes, and.
Speaker 2: That's that's four four words in Spanish. But you know what I'm saying, say thank you. What's what you got for questions? You know, we got about six minutes?
Speaker 5: Six minutes.
Speaker 2: Do two more minutes maybe because maybe you'll get a question or two in this because before it was like holy crab.
Speaker 14: Remember the question?
Speaker 21: Just so I think so, I think totally you have twenty two offensive and defensive lineman added correct this recruiting cycle. How important is it to add the size and get better in the trenches?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that you know, you guys have heard me say it before, but I firmly believe the games are one up front, both sides of the ball, and I think that's a place that we had a lot of room to grow last year. And so that was something from the start, as we spoke, you know, as a staff in here and and putting all the pieces together, we knew we had to address that we because it wasn't it wasn't just about first line players. It was about creating an incredible amount of competition in that space, so that that competition forces that to elevate, and so that's what we were focused on, you know, going into this thing. So twelve twelve offensive linemen, ten defensive linemen, and we're really excited about all those kids.
Speaker 11: Again, I think about a third of this recruiting class is from Texas.
Speaker 5: Clearly was a priority for you.
Speaker 3: Can you just talk about what you know it means to get more kids from that part of the country.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's I think it's a natural because we're going to be you know, there's multiple teams in our conference that that you know, play in Texas, so for us to be able to go into that state. Obviously there's several coaching members on our staff that have deep ties to Texas, which is really really important. There's also a lot of really good high school football players there. The state of Arizona is always going to be our priority in recruiting, absolutely number one, right, but we're going to have to fill out other pieces of that. And given the proximity of Texas and also the high level of high school football there, and then on top of that, how many games that we're going to be playing there, it makes it a super easy choice for us. And because of all those things.
Speaker 14: Just wondering if you get talked about your philosophy on JUCO recruiting and maybe how it's overlooked, but you guys landed multiple players from Judos's cycle.
Speaker 6: Well, I think, you know, we are looking for people that we think best fit us. And that was one of the things that we talked about so much, is we're looking for people that are tough, love football, and want to be here at the University of Arizona. And there are a handful of junior college players that fit that and the positions of need, and so we were measuring that against what was available in the portal a high school player or a junior college player, and every program is going to be different that way, and every program has different needs. I think, you know, as we're looking across college football, I think it's going to be interesting to see what this looks like after this cycle, because when I'm anticipating people turning over forty to sixty percent of their roster every year, and so where are you going to get those players? And knowing if you're recruiting from junior colleges that play at a high level where you trust the coaching staff and you know those players have already had a good year two three years of development. Those are great places for us to recruit.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine. We want to get a call here or two at least, you know, you answer the questions. Texas thing is obvious, right, Yeah. The chances for the guys going home to play in front of their family and friends obvious, which is good. And there's a lot of good players out there, I hope enough to go around because they're obviously going to Texas, Texas A and M and some of those schools. Yeah, TCU.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he answered a bit more to what this class is going to be.
Speaker 5: What this class is.
Speaker 4: I think you saw it with Camp Scataboo this season where kind of a Duke Co not Division one, smaller school product came and changed the entire team and entire culture. And maybe he's trying to Maybe he's trying to do that. We'll see, we'll see what happens. But they was a good, very good amount of you.
Speaker 2: Gotta have a you gotta hit a home run, uh side unseen. Right, I'm telling you, if you get these guys, you're hoping that they're good and they're good enough for Arizona and good enough to keep you competitive in the Big twelve when they're coming from a lower division, and we all kind of find the our Peter principle, right where as good as we're going to get at this level.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I think there's a lot of guys out there that that didn't get the chance to play at this level, but are very capable of playing this level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're gonna get this chance at Arizona. They're going to have a chance to become a fan favorite, which is easy to do. That Texas State kid, I think is going to be one of those.
Speaker 5: Guys running back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't let me see if I can find his Yeah, but uh yeah, this is going to be a very interesting year just to see what comes out of this recruiting fast but because this this is Brett Brennan's team for the most part, so it's not inheritance from Jed Fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then you guys got you have the guys who wanted to come back.
Speaker 4: So yeah, those are your for sure guys, Guys like Noah Dalton, even even Tia Savella coming back from Texas. You know, he signed on to be not only just to come back to Arizona, but to come to Brett Brennan's program.
Speaker 2: Soya coming back, and that was a big deal, the big time offensive coordinator. We're gonna have Seth on tomorrow as one of our guests, so that should be a lot of fun. And then we have our Super Bowl show on Friday with Ricky Hunley and Glenn Parker.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean this is kind of a quiet time for football, but they're making the most noise that they can.
Speaker 2: Right. Here's here's the issue. It's a pretty good rating forty two. Think about it. There's a lot of teams ahead of them. Yeah, so it's next to patch yourself on the back. But now the work starts, you know, getting in better, fighting the spots, making sure that everybody is is good, good enough to play here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you kind of talked about it where you have these kids going into their Christmas break, yet they're making a decision.
Speaker 5: For next fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so their their work started right after the airs of the State game and they haven't stopped. We're beginning of February. It's about two and a half months of just constant work. And that's probably why he wanted to thank all those people.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, no question, A lot of things going on at ekay okay. Are we ready to go, sir okay, let's go come back, get breaking news okay. Great,