Speaker 1: Before we dive in. Here's another show you can enjoy in the True Story FM Family of Entertainment podcasts.
Speaker 2: Okay, now for the lightning round. I'm so good at lightning rounds. That's from Friends. It's my favorite show. Twenty seconds on the Clock starts. Now, who is the captain of the USS Enterprise? Crap? Is it Captain Stubing? No Morgan crunch. Next question, which superhero is Tony Stark? Stark? Did Game of Thrones have superheroes? I only watch two episodes? What planet where? Luke and Leah born on Planet Fitness?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Time's up?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 2: And now a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 5: Hey everybody, Mandy Kaplan here. Please check out my podcast Make Me a Nerd, where each week an incredible guest tries to baptize this mainstream mom into the world of sci fi, fantasy and all things nerdy.
Speaker 2: Available wherever you podcast. That's our show, folks.
Speaker 5: Wait, movie, I just thought of it, pad me Ami Dalla gave birth to her twins, Luke and Leah on Poulus Masa.
Speaker 2: Now that's dumb?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Plan of Hollywood?
Speaker 1: Hey, Pete, I ever wonder what Steven Spielberg's favorite film is you know Andy.
Speaker 6: I've heard he loves classics like Lawrence of Arabia, Meme and Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: Imagine chatting with him about why those films resonate with him so much.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what we do on our podcast Movies We Like. We've had incredible guests like actress Dee Wallace, cinematographer Eric Measureschmidt, director Steve Miner, and former Disney animators Tom and Tony Bancroft.
Speaker 1: They share their favorite films and the impact they've had on their careers, offering fascinating insights into the craftsmanship and storytelling techniques that make these movies so special.
Speaker 6: If you're curious about the magic behind the scenes, subscribe to Movies We Like from True Story FM on your favorite podcast app. New episodes are released on the fourth Monday of each month, with early access for our.
Speaker 1: Members some movies we like. As we explore the movies we all like with the people who make them.
Speaker 6: And Steven, our people will call your people. Let's make this happen, BIVI subscribe today.
Speaker 7: Hello and welcome to listeners of both the Superhero Ethics and Star Wars Generations podcast. This is Matthew your host for both of those. I'm sorry to say that this has been a really crazy week, and just this morning we found out that my grandfather had passed away, my spouse's grandfather, but he'd been a grandfather to me as well. As you can imagine, there's a lot going on, a lot of arrangements, we made, a lot of family stuff happening, and so I'm not going to be able to record episodes for either of these podcasts this week, and so I'm putting this out as my apology. I think we're going to have a older episode attached at the end of this as a rebroadcast, hopefully something you haven't heard before, because for those of you who are new listeners, or something that maybe you had heard quite a while ago but forgotten and maybe think about differently today. So please enjoy, and again my apologies, thank you also very much. We have spoken today on Superhero Ethics. We go where no podcast has gone before, into a land where two of the people on this podcast have blue or purple streaks in their hair, but not mister Hoppy. More importantly, we're talking about star Trek and the nature of the Frontier with Professor Matthew Capel and Paul Hoppy and myself all that more after a commercial break we have no control over. Welcome back to Matthew, your host these day then pronouns. I'm joined, as fairly often by my still stuck in the twenty first century with no foreign color in his hair, co host of Dujure Paul, Happy, Paul, how you doing today?
Speaker 8: I'm good. Yeah, that's all I got. I'm good, yeah, okay, and very propose.
Speaker 7: Also joining me is another guest who I've recorded a podcast with already. We had audio problems. They may get rescued, but I'm really glad to have back again. Professor Matthew Cappell. Matthew is a professor of American Studies in Anthropology at Pace University in New York City. I got a great email a while ago now saying that he was a fan of the podcast, that he had some ideas about, you know, looking at a lot of the stuff we talk about through the lens of mythology and storytelling, and how these themes play into larger themes that are just apart. It just made my academic heart get so happy and made me realize I wanted Matthew on the podcast.
Speaker 9: For as many episodes as we could. We have a lot of.
Speaker 7: Star Wars contact coming out now, so I said, hey, what can we do other than Star Wars? And he mentioned the Star Wars Star Trek because we can do both of them, Star Trek and the Frontier. And I thought this would be a fantastic topic. So Matthew, so good have you with us? Say hello, Hello?
Speaker 10: Just to be clear, it was a it was a fan letter, and I was not giving you suggestion.
Speaker 7: I think you mentioned something like this is a cool like somehow we got into the conversation. I will say that a lot of people have sent me fan letters and they've turned into unknown solicitations to be on the podcast. But I'm very glad that you've done. I'm joining all of our conversations. I think this is gonna be a great one. So let me just kind of start by letting people hear a little bit more about you. Talk a little about your background in terms of the kind of stuff you teach about, and how Star Wars and superheroes and the epic stories that we love and talk about on these podcasts kind of fit into the work you do.
Speaker 10: Sure, so, I'm a historian and anthropologist, though my doctorate's in American studies, and I've done a lot of books in my career on science fiction film.
Speaker 4: And the reason I.
Speaker 10: Like science fiction film is because it's basically myth. It's the way we tell myth today. If you want to talk about any kind of myth, you have to start with Batman. You can't start with SEUs, right, And in that context, my PhD thesis had an entire chapter on the frontier in Star Trek, and that's why I brought it up with you. And it's very much a topic that has got ethical issues all around it, but as most of Star Trek does so generally, I'm kind of semi retired at this point. I basically just teach regular old fashioned anthropology, things like urban thnography and American studies. I think I'm teaching a class in the Fall on science and technology after World War Two, so nothing special, very mythological, but all of my writing is in myth. So that's why I like you.
Speaker 9: Nice, Nice, Well, I'm glad it's such a great topic.
Speaker 7: I think I mentioned the other time we try to record a podcast that the first time I thought seriously about Star Wars beyond just you know, being I love the laser sort of fights and things like that. Was watching the Peter Campbell, you know, and George Lucas talking about the power the power of myth and Star Wars, and since then I've come to understand that there's a lot more to those ideas than what those two gentlemen had to say. Uh, for those of you not watching on the stream, you didn't get to see Matthew kind of roll his eyes a bit when I mentioned that, because it's just one perspective of many, but it's it's such a rich field for discussing these things. And so let me just start by asking, so when we say the frontier, like that's you know, start every Star Trek episode for a long time always opened with you know, space the final Frontier or some version of it. The frontier was something I remember being taught about in American history, especially nineteenth century that you know, it was always to find the next frontier.
Speaker 9: American acceptionism and all that talk about.
Speaker 7: What what does the frontier mean as a concept in American mythology.
Speaker 10: Well, I think the easy place to start is to point out that for three or four generations, historians thought the frontier was a real thing that they were talking about as a historical artifact. But when the nineteen sixties were older around and people stopped thinking about history as the history of white men only, we came to the conclusion pretty quickly that our notion of the frontier was highly flawed. Not in terms of the frontier is bad, in terms of that's bad history, that's bad history of writing. So, because I'm an academic, I have come with quotes. Here's the quote you need. There was a So America history as a nation doesn't really have universities with history professors and so like the eighteen eighties. But most of the disciplines we think of our eighteen eighties to nineteen ten. My field of anthropology is basically nineteen ten history. The first American Historical Association meeting is like eighteen eighty four, maybe so before the American Historical Association is even ten years old. A historian from Wisconsin named p. Jackson Turner. There's this stunningly important paper that we have been reading over and over and over again, even though we know he's wrong. And here it's called the Significance of the Frontier in American History, And the famous quote which I can almost do from memory, but I'm going to read just to be safe. Is up until our own day, American history has been in a large degree the history of the colonization of.
Speaker 4: The Great West.
Speaker 8: Year.
Speaker 10: It is the existence of an area of free land. It's continuous recession and the advance of American settlement westward. Explain American development. That's eighteen ninety three in Chicago. We can take it apart right at free Land. There was nobody there free land. It's this continuing colonization of this free land from the time of the Mayflower to eighteen ninety three. And one of the things that Frederick Jackson Turner says in this eighteen ninety three talk is but the frontier's gone now, and we've got to figure out something else, because according to the Census Bureau, the frontier is done. Within six years of that we're having the Spanish American War looking for the next frontier. So this Frederick Acksonfroner was really good at doing something that academics like to do, used to like to do, and that was sending out reprints. So he did this talk, he published it, and he sent out hundreds of copies of it to important people throughout the United States, and people got excited to get shitped like that in the mail. Excuse me, stuff like that in the mail. You know, Oh my god, a historian form Wisconsin really has an idea and he sent it to me. And if there's there's maybe one or two people that invent the idea of professional historians in the United States, and this is one of the guys. He's the guy who gets paid to be a historian by a university where he only teaches history. He was trained to be a historian, and that's what he does. And at the time he sounds like a social scientist. Today he sounds like a method grapher. At the time he sounded like a political historian. Today he sounds like somebody who's explaining how the myth and the Frontier worked. And he did a really great job at that. And the Frontier has been with us ever since. Between his talk and the New Deal, we're worried about the next frontier. By the time we get to the nineteen sixties with Kennedy, we have the new Frontier. Alaska's made a state and its its slogan is the Last Frontier. And I think star Trek has some kind of frontier as well, and there's stuff after and there's stuff after that too, So the frontier has been this thing that we cannot get away from.
Speaker 7: And to hear you say that, I can see what to mean about how it is such a dangerous part of the American kind of mythology. You know, it's up there with the like pulled up by your own bootstraps of you know, as Americans, it's our job not only to continually conquer the new frontier, to bring the American goodness to the West, and then going to the Spanish lands and then going you know, you can see how it's just again and again been a thing. Paul Is just you mentioned the Turner episode the essay, and I was going to hopefully.
Speaker 9: Show off by mentioning it.
Speaker 7: I remember reading that in history class, so it's one of the only things I can remember from American history.
Speaker 4: And the fact that.
Speaker 10: The fact that you've read it is problematic because we stopped making students read it in a like nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: So so I want to go.
Speaker 10: I want to go find your guy and tell her and that this was this.
Speaker 4: Was a mistake.
Speaker 8: But anyway, unlus it was read within a context that was like aware of yes, which is possible.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, there was a.
Speaker 7: Kind of historiography aspect to it. But yeah, Jeffrey Gunn, if you're listening, I have some questions. Have been an essay I wrote on a mid term and now another professor is backing me up. So yeah, Paul, what for you, like, do you have memories this kind of idea of the frontier just kind of think something you've thought about in general and your many praises of America that I know you're so fond of.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I would say that, you know, for all the failings of the education system that.
Speaker 8: You know, I was incarcerated in for my youth, I think that actually the first school that I went to Bank Street from like age five until thirteen or fourteen, I think did a good job of being like, no, there were native people here, and first you're going to learn about that, and then you're going to learn about you know, people showing up from the Netherlands and then people showing up from England and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And I do feel like I was not taught this like idea of the frontier being this like great thing and like America can progress and all that, I do you know, the complaints that I have or that I think a lot of the way all this was taught was like and that's what happened in the past, and now everything's much much better. You know, we've we've totally solved all these problems. And you know, like the idea like racism is in the past or the South, like you know that that I'd say, like they let us down on you know, But but I did feel like there was there was some idea of you know, the frontier being an idea and not like sort of like this great thing that happened and was conquered, you know, like how how the West was won, like that this was like some victory, right. I think it was like even from a young age, I feel like I was you know, told that it's like that this wasn't a great thing that you know that America did and and I appreciate that, you know, and I you know, obviously I think we can probably still do better.
Speaker 4: But that's it's interesting.
Speaker 8: You know, you're talking about space and you know space, the final Frontier and all that, like space actually there you know, the word kind of says a lot of it, like there there actually is space out there, right, there are many, many, many uninhabited planets. Earth is inhabited, It has been inhabited.
Speaker 4: All over for a very long time.
Speaker 8: And so the idea of this frontier, it's like there were people there, right, There's animals there, like there were trees like and all of which you know, many got got killed, right, Whereas the idea of something like colonizing Mars, for instance, it's like, well, maybe just everyone should move to Mars.
Speaker 4: Like it's like there's there's I mean, as far as.
Speaker 8: We know, there's not life there, right, So if you were to go to that frontier, you know, into space, granted at some point I think you probably would run into some form of life, and probably some form of intelligent life that maybe wouldn't regard humans as particularly intelligent life. I don't know, but like space is more of a it fits that mythology more than the reality fit that mythology, I think, perhaps not within the context of Star Trek, where there's all these different you know, species and everything, and tons of planets are inhabited as far as we know, it's like there's you know, there is actual space in space and like you could go there and not be stepping on people who live there already.
Speaker 10: The meme I keep getting is the how you know, Star Trek was written by white guys and it's going where no one was going before, and there's always people there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that that's kind of what I was going to say, is that, Yeah, you're right, like actual space would make sense for this frontier mythology. One of the things I think is that I think we define can talk about is it in Star Trek it feels very much that same idea of the undiscovered Country, which is the name of actually one of the better Star Trek movies. But still is it always refers to the thing that hasn't been discovered by us, right right, you know, And in the same way, it feels like for the Frontier, it's that we the white man, have not gone there yet. And I'm I think he's a lot of truth to that, and so that's probably a good way to jump into the Star Trek part of it. And actually I'll start here with you, Paul, because I think you have not watched much Star Trek.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've seen maybe like five to eight of the movies of different eras, and then I've seen some episodes here and there of various different shows and like halves of a bunch of episodes, but I haven't like sat down and watched a whole series of the television or like all the movies in.
Speaker 9: Order, right, So, which is good.
Speaker 7: I always like having someone who doesn't necessarily know the source material we're talking about it as much just to kind of bring in that perspective in the conversation. So for you, when I when I mentioned that the idea that we're talking about of like Star Trek and the Frontier, what comes to mind to you about like that, what that entails and what Star Trek and Frontiers have to do with each other?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it seems to me like it is kind of an allegory for the mythology of the West, and it is about you know, as far as I can tell, it's about the enterprise going out and stumbling upon different cultures that are already there and then not interfering, but interfering but like I don't know, they have some directives and it seems to me like, yeah, it's not a bunch of just like open space really right, It's like there's a lot out there, and then you know, there's wars, or there's arguments and various different things. And I do feel like it probably is a show.
Speaker 4: And movies or whatever however you want to describe it.
Speaker 8: A universe that would probably appeal to a lot of my sensibilities, perhaps more than like Star Wars does. But it doesn't have laser swords, so you know, it just I don't know, I never super grabbed onto it. But the idea of I mean, the idea of frontiers, like it's perspective.
Speaker 4: Right, like it's it's it doesn't have to be just like white men.
Speaker 8: It could be like the Klingons could have what they regarded as a frontier. And I mean, I think is there something in the Star Wars, I mean the Star Trek like I don't know if you call it mythology, but of like that a bunch of other species were aware of humanity but was sort of like, no, we'll just leave them alone because like they're not quite like ready to interact with other like other cultures and species. Yet is that a thing in one of them? Somewhere?
Speaker 10: There are a couple of episodes that play with that, but they never really folded into the overarching story very much, but like, here's a massively superior alien intelligence who's like, maybe when you're ready, we'll talk to you.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, there's a small version of it in that the Vulcans. The Vulcans have an idea of they don't want to contact anybody until they become warp capable, and so that's why one of the movies is all about them becoming warp capable in a way that the Vulcans will notice, and then once the Federation is around, that's kind of their their bar of until you become capable of warp speed, you're not on our level, and so we're going to see you as like and it's framed in a very like we're going to protect you kind of a way, but it's very much a kind of like noble savage, you're the primitive, You're not worthy of our attention. But therefore also like, oh that media is going to crash into your planet, well, prime directive, we shouldn't interfere, so things like that. So so Matthew talks about what you like when I hear Frontier, Like, there's a lot of thoughts I come up with, but for you, what does it mean?
Speaker 9: I kind of look at these two things together.
Speaker 10: Okay, so I'm going to say like two things because Paul had this really good point. Maybe the Klingons have a frontier. Right before Americans talk about the frontier, frontier was a different kind of word. There was a frontier between France and Germany, and what they meant was this area that's not quite French and not quite German, and there's a cultural competition going on to see what it's going to be.
Speaker 4: The tyrannies rane or the parodies. My ancestors were from there, so you.
Speaker 10: Could have grown up speaking French, you could have grown up speaking German.
Speaker 4: And that's what frontiers were.
Speaker 10: Actually, the Doctors without Borders was founded in Paris. Their actual name is French, and it's not Doctors without Borders, it's Medicine frontier. And that kind of frontier is a different kind of frontier than we mean. The kind of frontier Americans talk about is the kind of frontier where we go and we we discover an economic opportunity and finally buy a farm. Right there's a wonderful British scholar who talks about people's lawns in law and care as the last gasp of frontiers for Americans.
Speaker 4: Right, And but it's true.
Speaker 10: So yes, so there has to be like this idea of a frontier that's between us, the Federation and Klingons, as well as the frontier of empty space. I wish there was more empty space. Then again, I wish there was warp.
Speaker 4: Still.
Speaker 10: Okay, here's here's another quote I brought because here's the Star Trek doesn't want to do this thing, but they were do it. There's this great book from the eighteen thirties called Westward ho and it is by a guy whose name is James Kirk Pauling.
Speaker 9: That name has some significance in a Star Trek kind of way.
Speaker 10: It kind of does. And here's what he says about traveling west.
Speaker 4: He says, no.
Speaker 10: Matter where he goes, you know, Eastern European males, no matter where he goes to whatever region, he carries within his destiny, which is to civilize the world and to rule it afterwards. That is American frontier racism in a nutshell. Righty is perfect and it's James Kirk.
Speaker 4: There is falling. Yeah, and yes, please go.
Speaker 7: Well, it's funny because I know that like when Geene Roddenberry was marketing the show and trying to get people to buy into it. Like the phrase that he used is now quite famous. He is, it's wagon trained to the stars, and so it's meant to be like a Western exploring show. But I hadn't really put together until you said that, Like just how deep the like that it's not just about the idea of going to explore new things, but it's about this idea of carrying the Federation exceptionalism now instead of American exceptilation.
Speaker 9: But it's the same idea carrying that out to everyone.
Speaker 7: And it's funny because in that way, and as a historian you can tell me if I'm wrong here, it does feel like in that extent America is exceptional in that it's the exception. It's different, not that it's better, but that like you know, like the French wanted an empire, but there was a sense of like the borders of France with some like you know, joshing around with the lines between Germany or Spain or Italy, but like the lines of what is France have been established for hundreds of not thousands of years, same with all these other countries. The idea of like that America is a thing that has to be continually expanded, and you know, our divine providence to manifest destiny and all that. That is a thing that is exceptional to the United States. Am I correct on that or at least somewhat somewhat?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean the French for a while thought Lgiers was part of France, right, But yeah, go back to the Northwest Ordinance. But the United States did shortly after the beginning of the constitutional period, was say, here's this new area that goes all the way to where you're at Matthew, Minnesota, north of the Ohio, and here's how they can create new states, and those states, when they're admitted to the Union, will be entirely and completely equal to the existing states.
Speaker 4: That was the new thing.
Speaker 10: So it was a mistake with Ohio, but every place else they're like, okay, Indiana, you are just as good as Massachusetts, right, And that was that was relatively unique. The other thing that was really unique about it was they said, when you create townships, you have to sell part of it to create schools. And that was also very unique for the time period, to say, Okay, every township is going to be thirty six square miles, and right in the middle, you're going to have a chunk that is going to be sold exclusively to finance schools public schools for the population of this new township that was also really new the idea of both of those things. So yeah, I mean every nation is exceptional, though, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's this specific thing about America's exceptionally Yeah, and that last part. When I lived in Wisconsin, they like to point out the land grant thing because the main historical result of that, at least according to people in Wisconsin, where this is very important, is Big ten college football.
Speaker 9: You know, another thing, but let's pull it back to go ahead.
Speaker 8: I just want to respond, as a trivia enthusiast, do you know what country actually has the most time zones?
Speaker 4: Of Russia? France?
Speaker 8: France has something like thirteen time zones because actually all of those places are regarded as part of France.
Speaker 9: French shamoa like that.
Speaker 8: So they might not actually be, you know, conceptualized that way, but certainly in a legal sense, they are actually France, and thus it has like thirteen time zones or something absurd compared to like China's one, which which is a.
Speaker 7: Kind of like with a British empire, for example, Like they were always very clear like this is all British territory, but it is not great breakin right, right exactly.
Speaker 8: It's different that way Russia is the largest contiguous number of time zones or something like that, right, that makes sense on France actually thirteen.
Speaker 4: So all right.
Speaker 7: Pulling it back to Star Trek though, Yeah, it's interesting though, especially because and I think in many ways Star Trek is I think, for good reason, often regarded as being a fairly progressive show for its time always, but like you know, today, there's a lot of stuff on the more modern Star Trek shows have characters of color, and women characters and transgender characters all in very important roles. It's really pushing the boundaries of a lot of kind of interesting social issues that's talking about, and so I often think about it that, like you know, and even the show from the sixties, it's clearly being very critical of you know, Jim Crow and the anti civil rights culture, the Vietnam War, and so I think of it as being a show that is very critical in progressive liberal ways of the existing culture of America in the sixties. But to me, This is such a great example of just the bias that always happens there that even from that perspective, we weren't challenging the idea of the frontier as the great liberal, you know, as that there's something wrong or racist about it because it's baked in a Star Trek, Like you said from the very beginning.
Speaker 4: It's baked into America.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah too.
Speaker 10: Maybe maybe the strength of Star Trek is not that they just wholeheartedly accepted the idea of the frontier, but that they tried to take it and twist it to the own ends. That was a much more woke version of the frontier. Right, you can't get rid of pick a world's religion, but you can change the way we think about that religion as a believer. We're not going to get Americans to stop thinking the frontiers where America became great, but maybe if we talk about that greatness in a different way we'll get something.
Speaker 9: So, what do you think of how start is kind of very broad question.
Speaker 7: We get more specifics, but kind of taken overall, how do you feel like Star Trek has wrestled with the concept of the frontier?
Speaker 4: Okay, so.
Speaker 10: Poorly fair, but increasingly, not so initially. The original Star Trek, which I watched when I was writing my PhD but just because I had to, is very is very liberal in many wonderful ways, but it also still has many skirts, right. It's a product of its time. Nobody says Napoleon was a bad general because he didn't have an air force. But when they went places, quite often they were just meeting people that were inferior to them and fixing them, and that is a notion of American frontier ideology straight up. Since that moment, they've stepped further and further away from the frontier every chance they get. I was just thinking about the most recent JJ Abrams one where they go out to the frontier and they find the bad guy and it turns out he was a human the all time, because the bad guy can't be the other, so instead we're just ignoring the fact that there's a frontier. And I think that's the general trend of Star Trek, which was to keep saying final frontier but become more and more about globalization than anything. So by the time you g it's the next generation, it's great powers talking to each other.
Speaker 3: And now I don't even know what to call it now.
Speaker 10: It's very much not about a historical narrative. They try to avoid it in any way they can. I guess the New One Strange New Worlds is less like that. But they are fully aware now that if they talk about the frontier too much, they're going to come off bad. So instead they try to avoid talking about the frontier, except for the voiceover at the beginning. We've got these new people, and aren't they great. It's like middle school diversity day. These people are different. Yeah, that's great. The end, And that's Star Trek now, which is a critique, but not a critique that I hold in my heart very well.
Speaker 8: I think there's room for basically like confronting it more head on within the sort of mythology of Star Trek of having more more nuance.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think there is. I don't think they're going to do so. I don't think. I don't think it's a salable script, right all right. I totally think that the current group of creators are would.
Speaker 4: Be very capable of doing it.
Speaker 10: I don't but they but they are totally professionals who would like to get renewed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well it's interesting because I do think that in some ways, especially some of the newer stuff. And we're gonna have spoilers here for all the seasons of Discovery. I have not watched straight New Worlds yet, but if you need to spoil that, go right ahead. You know, there is more and more of the we have met someone else and realized that they are superior to us and we have to learn from them. And it's interesting because I feel like that is it's a story that's fundamental, that is a critique of frontierism, that's now about how do we explore to learn about our failings and to learn what do others out there know that we don't yet, And that is I feel like in some ways it kind of fundamentally it is the critique you're talking about.
Speaker 9: But you're right, it's not connected to it at all.
Speaker 7: Then no one ever says that that, you know, no one ever uses that language of exploring to find where we're different or to find something else. It's just that language of the frontier has gone away entirely.
Speaker 4: Yes, very much. I think that's okay.
Speaker 10: So it's best not to be overly explicit. You're not going to make a show that is so very American as Star Trek without being American. To me, the concern is the more popular Star Trek becomes internationally, I think it's the more americanized the planet. And that's problematic. Right when when people in Bali are really excited for the new Star Trek, I'm.
Speaker 7: Terrified because you think it's another way of sort of spreading frontier propaganda.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, we might as well be selling them Genes and.
Speaker 8: Elvis Presley, which is already happening, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 8: Any other element in that right, But it's but I do think there's there's something to be said for like selling the mythology as opposed to just like the goods kind of right, like and I don't know, I mean, do you think that's something that comes with the like the material things as well, Like when a McDonald's goes somewhere or a Walmart open somewhere, that that kind of brings some of the sort of like American mythology as much as just like you know, the deforestation based hamburgers or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 10: I mean there's a reason one of the biggest employers of anthropologists in the world is Target Corporation.
Speaker 4: Wow, really yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 10: They do everything from figuring out what to put on end caps by watching people behave in stores to figuring out I guess there's like three target layouts, figuring out how those target layouts work for areas, for specific subcultures. So yeah, that's that's what anthropology has become.
Speaker 8: So then can you learn about a place by looking at its target I know, I'm like way off the you know it.
Speaker 4: Yes you can.
Speaker 10: I my doctorate overseas, and so there were there were no targets, and I got there shortly after I guess Woolworths had gone out of business, so there was not a warl Worths, not that I'd never been to one. So they had their local stores, and I learned more about the city I lived in from the stores I had to go buy sheets at, and a very like in the in my guts kind of way, right.
Speaker 7: I don't know if this is still true, but I know for a while the Wall Street Journal had as one of the things that considered a leading like sign of foreign economic activity was based on the price of a big mac in the capital city of every country in the world, Because there is MacDonald's in the capital city of almost every country in the world. Yeah, we're exploring the frontier of this topic, which is why it's okay they're kind of wandering off on tangents.
Speaker 9: Tangents are now the frontier.
Speaker 7: And Yeah, I think it's such anangining question because it's it's something like Star Trek.
Speaker 9: I think there is this like.
Speaker 7: One of the things that comes up a lot in the kind of media criticism that we do on this podcast is this idea of how do you wrestle with you know, know, stuff that is, you know, where there's you feel there's a lot of good things in a story or an actor or whatever, but that parts that are also problematic, and what do you do with you know, all the feelings about this.
Speaker 9: I feel like Star Trek is.
Speaker 7: It creates sort of a new version of this problem because what Star Trek is doing is trying to keep alive the story of something that was originally told now I'm bad at math sixty years ago, and it continues and like the writers are clearly aware of the problem of it originally. Like I think if you started a new Star Trek today, like without using the word Star Trek, a new version of it, you'd maybe want to like disconnect from the frontier idea entirely. But it seems like part of what Star Trek has been doing is like, how, how, okay, we recognize that in the sixties we told this kind of story and the women were all in these kind of roles and that's bad.
Speaker 9: So how do we change that?
Speaker 7: How do we maybe not have to be all white people who are in command and all this stuff? But you're still beholden to the past. And as you said that, the Frontier is so integral to Star Trek. So I think it's just really interesting there about how the show has tried to kind of like be aware of that, will also not entirely cutting itself off from its past.
Speaker 4: I would agree with that.
Speaker 10: I think it's important to defend Star Trek from the simple perspective that you can't avoid the frontier if you want to talk about something that's americanly cultural. Right. Another anthropologist, a guy named Conrad Kotek, used to write in his intro textbook that Star Trek was a retelling of the Thanksgiving Men. It was a multicultural get together in one place where people figured out how to live together. And he thought that was a significantly important thing about the idea of Thanksgiving and Star Treking put them right together. And I think that's kind of true. So the fact that we all had that same history growing up where they used to be racist and they're not, and they used to be sexist and they're not. Well, Star Trek used to be a little racist and a little sexist and they're trying not to be. They're still giving us that same kind of history we had in like sixth grade, but at least they're trying this iss not like they're saying you can't teach the bluest eye in your high school mid class.
Speaker 8: Like when people look back at stories that are told today that people think of as like some of the more enlightened stories, you know, or things that are certainly trying hard to be to like understand the world as it is and to be considerate of all different sorts of people and you know, maybe animals usually not like I think people will look back and be like, oh, well, you know, they tried, you know, and they did better than other people were doing at that time. And there is, I mean there's an extent to which like we're all you know, trapped by our own perspective where we can always try to expand our perspective. We can always try to learn more and understand more and not not make judgment judgments based on you know, a lack of information, but like still we only know what we know, right, And and so I think there always is going to be some reflection later that looks back and is like, oh, well, we probably could have done better, you know, but of even the stuff that's ahead of its time, right, Like, I mean, I think Star Trek of the sixties could be described as ahead of its time. Maybe not ahead of our time, but a lot of things now are still behind whatever the times will be at some point hopefully, you know, if there is something that we'd like to consider progress, right, And and it sounds like sometimes like when you make something, it's like, I don't know. One of my concerns about having like so many Batman stories and so many Stars War stories and like Marvel stories and Star Trek stories is like there is an extent to which it's like these things were created when they were created, there are things about when they were created that are integral to the story, to the mythology, right, and like, like you're not going to just like make Batman, not a billionaire, like you could, you could, and I think there's a story that does that. And my understanding is it's a very interesting, fairly interesting tale. But he probably was a billionaire and then lost his money and whatever, you know, and like that happens, that'll happen. But like there's so many stories now, like everything, especially like these big like tent pole films, they always want to be based on some ip that's already been proven to be successful in some lower risk format like prints, right, or or it's like oh, well they already made it, so like now we can spin that off into something successful. And I think it just it makes it very difficult to two Like what you end up getting is this like either you keep doing what you were doing or you like change things. But then in a way that sometimes is like frustrating to people who liked the original thing.
Speaker 4: And it's not saying you shouldn't do that, but it's.
Speaker 8: Like, I don't know, I'd just like to see more like new media that's like, oh, I had an idea, let's make this story, you know, and then maybe not have a thousand piece expanded universe, you know. I say this while podcasting on like Star Wars Universe podcast, and I you know, commenting on things like that, but I think it's something that is hard to get away from when like there are roots in some story. It's like it's you know, it's in there, and I don't know.
Speaker 10: I think with Star Wars Star Trek, now, though I'm saying we shouldn't have more Star Trek or more Batman, is the same thing as saying we shouldn't have another Lawyer show me right, It's a genre to itself.
Speaker 4: At this point. There.
Speaker 10: You know, let's be clear, much of Star Trek sucks, much of Batman suck, most of bat Man stuck.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 10: But also another point to make is you can tell me this is an inappropriate way of putting it, but we're essentially three mostly white, mostly American, mostly inculturated male guys.
Speaker 4: Talking about Starkrek.
Speaker 10: But I noticed with a bunch of my friends when Michelle Nichols died, they all showed the same image from an episode of the original series on their feeds, And it had never occurred to me that this was an important moment.
Speaker 4: There's a moment in one.
Speaker 10: Of the episodes where somebody gets called away from the bridge and Michelle Nichols character is told to like sit down at the navigator's pose, and to this day, Black American nerds freak out about that one moment because it's so inconsequentially normal when it happened, and I don't think we would have noticed it that way. So, yeah, it's important to remember that perhaps our perspective is.
Speaker 4: Narrow in that content, right.
Speaker 10: But it's also the thing Paul said that's really key is maybe we're not We were not in a place to look back at Star Trek and Go. They're not as good as they could have been if it hadn't been for Star Trek pushing us in the Red director.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I've recently been reading Jane Austen and what are to say, what I sound more culture than I am. I've been watching a lot of adaptations of Jane Austen stuff and they're wonderful. And clearly she was for her time or even for today, making incredibly needed feminist critiques of the culture that ring you today. She was also talking about the utter tragedy that would befall a young woman if she had to go from being upper class to being upper middle class, and the deprivations that occur when you move into a house of only two servants.
Speaker 9: So you know, there's some there's always that.
Speaker 7: But I think the point about perspective that you make is also so important, and it is one where I do think Star Trek is also really pushing things forward. Is that.
Speaker 9: And some of the other things we're doing this is too.
Speaker 7: Certainly Marvel, I think is getting better at this, and I want DC to get better at as well. He is trying to say, Okay, well, let's take that same story of the Frontier, or let's take the same story of the billionaire or wherever it is, but let's tell it from a new not only tell it, tell it about new people, but have new people tell the story.
Speaker 9: You know, and I know the I don't.
Speaker 7: My understanding is that the writer's room for discovery has been much more diverse than it has been in the past. Certainly a lot of the kind of Marvel stuff and the getting women writers, women writers of color, queer writers, things like that. And I don't know if this is like a complete bashelization of the term, but I wonder if is there some room for the idea that that is or am I being a horrible American here that that's the next frontier we could talk that we could talk about with this kind of stuff is the frontier of not pushing in a new space, but pushing into new ideas and pushing into well, I mean, if I started to say pushing into more people having the ideas or sharing the ideas, then yes, it is the exact frontiersm But now it's like, let's go out and colonialize their ideas. That's so maybe I've just talked to myself out of it. Someone should jump in and rescue me from this idea pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: But I think the idea of a frontier is.
Speaker 10: This is a metaphorical way of talking about opportunity, and the new frontier is to extend opportunities of broader classes for people.
Speaker 4: I think that's a.
Speaker 10: Part of it was supposed to be doing.
Speaker 7: What I more mean is the thing is like The Orville, which I was ible to my dying day to fend the idea that The Orville is a Star Trek show. It is not officially licensed by Star Trek, but it is moree hundred percent a love letter to it. For those who don't like sethm falland humor. There's a lot less of that after the first season. But that show is one thing I think that that show is doing so well. That's that Star Trek did so well for so long and still is doing in some ways. Is the idea of, Okay, well we're used to this kind of racism, let's go to a world where there's a whole new idea of what race could look like. Or like in the Orville, there's a planet that is all male theoretically, but there's some questions about that, or like Star Trek has done a lot more with uh not ambidexterrous. My brain is being dumb but envy about gender androgynoust cultures you know where, or cultures where genders can shift.
Speaker 9: I guess that was more.
Speaker 7: What I meant is the idea of saying, like, can we push new ideas in new ways and like ask us to think about the concepts in our own world differently by showing us the possibility of something that that's fundamentally different. But of those some questions and maybe that's not a frontier at all, Maybe that's something entirely different.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think, yeah, I have like three or four things lodged in my brain that I'm trying to like be like, Okay, I wanted to say this and this and.
Speaker 4: This to to this point.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, I mean like knowledge is a frontier, right, but it's also like it's a frontier from a perspective because like that information theoretically maybe exists, or like somebody knows something, you know, but like maybe you don't. So that's like your own sort of frontier of discovery. But but yeah, I mean it does seem like it's kind of just a metaphor you know, it's like the undiscovered or the unknown. But it's like, you know, people have been having a lot of ideas for a long time, just it's more a lot about like who gets the opportunity to tell those ideas in the two hundred million dollar budget, you know, or like or even just a published novel, you know. And I do think that there is certainly more opportunity for more people.
Speaker 4: Now than there used to be.
Speaker 8: You know. Also, I wanted to clarify I wasn't saying like I don't think there should be any more Batman stories. I don't think there should be any more Star Trek stories. I think there should be a lower percentage of stories that are based on previously existing media.
Speaker 4: I think there still.
Speaker 8: Should be some You make a great character, fine, keep making new stories with that character.
Speaker 4: Cool, no problem, But.
Speaker 8: Like also makes some more new characters more frequently, you know, and invest in those characters as well.
Speaker 4: You know. It's not like it doesn't happen.
Speaker 8: It just happens less than I think would be you know, ideal, And I think when you do, like then you have more people have the opportunity to create their own characters as opposed to trying to adapt some other character.
Speaker 4: To their sort of view.
Speaker 8: I also wanted to mention what Buffy Bot said in the chat, which was kind of similar to what you're talking about. The Michelle Nichols, who played Huro in the original Star Trek and recently died, was apparently she was thinking of leaving after the first season, and she was like talking to Martin Luther King, who was like, look, you know, this role might not seem like a huge deal to you, but like it's a big deal to a lot of people. You know that, Like, you know, your character isn't the captain, right, but like she is in a position of authority and a position that you know, people didn't see black women in TV and in media in those positions at that time, and like, obviously still we could do better, right, and hopefully that is going in that direction, but it's like, yeah, that probably helped us get to where we are now to some extent.
Speaker 7: I Woibie Goldberg has talked off in about how the first time she thought of becoming an actress was when she was a young child and saw the show and she talked to her mother because was the first time she had ever seen a black woman on TV or on screen who wasn't a maid, and that really meant a lot to her. But yeah, but at the same time, there's some great creators I was reading recently Black Black Women creators talking about how the character was.
Speaker 9: It was fantastic to see a black woman in that role.
Speaker 7: But in terms of like it was a woman surrounded by men basically as the secretary, the glorified secretary, you know, and so raising some mentioning points there. Will you say though, also lets me first of all, I'll say, I appreciate what you're saying about the kind of like the different perspectives, because even as I was saying it, I was realizing pushing the idea of pushing into other new planets or ideas that have different ideas about race or gender, like the binary system of gender is very much a sort of Western conception. So even there's a great example of that and part of what gets me thinking. And I don't know about this much, but wonder, Matthew, if you do start track. I know is very definitional to sort of on screen science fiction, so as Star Wars or the Star Wars is not science fiction, but that's you know, in terms of the exactly. But I feel like, if I think about it, I see this frontier idea so often in science fiction in media, especially on TV and the like. I don't know much about science fiction that's being created outside of American or even kind of like Western concepts. I've read a good deal about afrofuturism, for example, I've not had a chance to read much of it. I'm curious if you have much experience of sort of the science fiction that's being written outside of particularly like Western you know, colonizer mythologies, and if we're seeing like science fiction without a frontier idea being created in spaces where the frontier isn't a part of their mythology, isn't a part of their sort of national thinking.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, so here's the thing.
Speaker 10: When we talk about science fiction, we're really just talking about American science fiction, because everything we think of is science fiction is really just an American science fiction. Even Jules Hearn was not particularly frontier. So more and more science fiction creators are working to ignore the traditions of American science fiction. But there's others that just never got exposed to it. Really, there's a huge wealth of stuff coming out of China finally getting translated. Now I'm thinking of the novel The Three Body Problem, which is an amazing science fiction novel that starts in during the Cultural Revolution in China in the nineteen sixties and deals with first contact. And it's just beautiful and at no point is there a frontier.
Speaker 4: In fact that there is a frontier.
Speaker 10: It's really dangerous, and we have to do everything we can to make sure nobody notices us, as they will come into dry us. And that's the final summation of the.
Speaker 4: Story that they give.
Speaker 10: The aliens find us, they will come and kill us. That's why we never hear people when we're searching for extradress intelligence, because no actual integral interstellar intelligence is going to let us survive because they know it's a threat to them that they do.
Speaker 4: So everybody gets killed.
Speaker 10: And that is so not American science fiction. It's kind of ridiculous, right, because American science fiction is so tied up in the frontier and it always has been. I don't know, the John Carter movie was pretty not.
Speaker 4: As bad as people said that.
Speaker 10: The books it was based on from the early twentieth century, of these great little Edgar Rice Burroughs books. You know, they're like Tarzan on Mars, and they're just fantastic, and they have red people and they have green people and they talk about them in completely racist and sexist ways because it's, you know, nineteen twenty, but it's very American. It's very much the Virginian goes to Mars. No Chinese science fiction is like that. No afro futurist science fiction is.
Speaker 4: Really like that. And we have American.
Speaker 10: Science fiction writers who refuse to deal with frontier ideology based reviews, and.
Speaker 4: They're writing much better stuff.
Speaker 10: And Kay Jennison three years in a row for writing essentially books about African myth put in a science fiction copy.
Speaker 9: It's fine there. I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 7: I can't remember that of the person who traditionally Otavia Butler wrote Parable of the Sewer, Right, Okay, so I did remember. Yeah, I mean those books are some of my favorite science fiction, and yeah, I didn't even thought on the track. They're very much about turning inward to community and community building and what that looks like instead of this idea of sort of pushing outward into a frontier mythology.
Speaker 1: I feel like, oh.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna say, like, I feel like what I know of like Japanese science fiction from animation is doesn't seem particularly frontier related, Like even Cowboy Bebop, which is, you know, it's not all it's not on Earth. It's like it's you know, it's in the Solar System, and it's not about encountering new races of people or new species or new cultures. It's about you know, I mean, they are literally colonizing the various different planets in the Solar System. But you know, again, there weren't people there before, so it's different than like American frontier and the stories aren't really about that, right, They're like much more inwardly focused and kind of like, you know, kind of noir ish and and so I do feel I kind of hear what you mean about like American science fiction and having this kind of theme that seems to be to be very pervasive, but that that doesn't seem.
Speaker 7: Like it's everywhere definitely right, Yeah, how would be bought science fiction that that seems like it's very much just about the same kind of stories we're telling now, except now instead of getaway cars, we've got getaway spaceships and some laser guns every now and then. But it's very similar kind of storytelling.
Speaker 10: But it does something that is also really cool, which is it decides which things from American sci fi it wants to use, and it uses them no way it wants to, and it just takes them and uses them. It doesn't take them and you use them without thinking about them. It examines them carefully and definitely system.
Speaker 7: Do you have any specific example we talked about general terms, any specific examples of Star Trek movies or TV episodes that you think are kind of a particular illustration of either positive or negative uses of or negative positive or negative interactions with his frontier idea.
Speaker 10: Well, if you, in a general context, think about how many times people in Star Trek.
Speaker 4: Have to deal with the nineteenth century somehow.
Speaker 10: There's an episode of the original series where they after we fight the Okay Corral by there there's an episode with Abraham Lincoln. There's a number of episodes of Next Generation that take place in the nineteenth century. They go meet Mark Dwayne at one point.
Speaker 4: Is played by the guy who played Data, and he does a much better It does a good jobs as a pretty good actor.
Speaker 10: Yes, cetera goes to other times, you know, they say Wales and whatnot, but they go to the nineteenth century a lot because the nineteenth century is where the frontier is and it just it fits. So when I think about refighting the Okay Corral or going to Mark Twain in the Next Generation, I think that's very Star Trek. They also get, though, they get the other problem that you Matthew talked about earlier, which is when they do go elsewhere, sometimes they need something that cannot be understood, and if there's a trend in Star Trek, it's to then figure out how to fix that problem. So when you first meet the Boorg in the Next Generation, they're the example of completely incomprehensible other and since then they become more and more comprehensible and understandable.
Speaker 4: Because they become more human.
Speaker 10: The New Serious Strange and Wilves is doing the same thing with the porn the lizard people.
Speaker 4: That Kirk fights.
Speaker 10: They're completely incomprehensible and that's why they're interested. But at least I think the New Serious Strange and the Rules understands what it's doing. Paul, you're going to say something.
Speaker 8: Is that a problem that you feel the writers are attempting to solve, or that the characters are attempting to solve within the context of the story, or not really a problem, but something that the writers are then kind of going away from after doing this interesting thing to try to make it easier for the viewers.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 10: I think we have to put it in capitalistic terms again. Right, So you invent this great villain, and this villain is great, and everybody loves this villain, so you got to write another story with this villain, but you've got to have more of the villain for the viewer to get.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 10: So the Borg and the first time you meet them is like for four minutes and they're just like automatons. And now when we talk.
Speaker 4: About the Borg, were like they're led by a queen.
Speaker 10: It's a hierarchical society because every new episode that teach of them had to make them more understandable. Otherwise there was no story to tell. And in the telling of Storage, you're.
Speaker 4: Always going to make them more understandable.
Speaker 7: But it's the frontier is really about cannot be understood org originally, but it's hard to tell a story about something that is out of your context. And so yeah, they give it the Borg queen and by the way, she's sexy and seductive and like that. It's fun watcher flirt with data. But to me it took away a lot of the mystery of the Borg and a similar thing I was thinking about this way back. But like to me, one of the fundamental problems Star Wars has always had.
Speaker 9: In some ways, it's a.
Speaker 7: Star I'm going to mix up Star Wars and Star Trek. I do what I'm talking about Star Wars, so it goes both ways at least, you know. Star Trek in theory is about this completely moneyless society. But the writers keep realizing how much of the conflict in our own world, in our media, in our narratives, is about money. If you take money completely off the table. It's really hard to find stories to tell. So now there's stories about, well, you need credits to use the replicator. It's not money, but still I can offer you my replicator credits to ask you to do this thing, or I can bet this thing. And in some ways I feel like Star Wars got a lot better when it introduced the Frangi, who are the Frankie had a lot of problems. Originally they were not great villains by any means, but by the time of DS of Deep Space nine, through the Frangi, you've brought capitalism and monetary exchange back into the Star Trek universe. And I was always sort of torn because I think it made for very good storytelling, or the storytelling I could relate to a lot more. But also now you'd like, I want storytelling in a world that has no money, But I also know it's hard for me to comprehend, and so it's very hard for someone to write for me.
Speaker 9: And that's kind of the tension I think that you get there a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, well, hm, that's why they have to break their prime directive so much.
Speaker 10: You've got to have conflicts somehow, and if it's not going to be money, it's going to be something else. And all of all of our narratives are about money. Although that's why Bruslayne is a billion.
Speaker 9: I went back and did some check.
Speaker 7: He's not a billionaire in the original cons a millionaire, so inflation, that's right.
Speaker 4: Go on, yeah he's a millionaire.
Speaker 10: Yeah, a million dollars.
Speaker 4: He'll have to be a trillionaire in Batman Beyond.
Speaker 10: Then, in much the same way that Star Trek can escape the Frontier stories from Star Trek or all science fiction can escape capitalism. It's the same thing. It's the same idea. The Frontier was about opportunity to make money, and Star Trek has never been able.
Speaker 4: To avoid that problem. Right.
Speaker 10: So Kayla Gwinn has that famous quote. She was at the National Book Awards in a room full of like amazonic sects getting an award, and she said about capitalism, she said, you can't imagine a world about capitalism. Remember two centuries ago, nobody could remember imagine a world without the divine right of kings. And but Star Trek still has not imagined the world about capitalism because they can't. Because then there's the problem with Star Trek has always been how do you have tension between characters? So instead, I feel like, sorry, go, Paul, I was just going to say no and set instead in said they have the tension about political ideologies. Can we interfere with this culture? Is the only tension they can have, Paul go.
Speaker 8: I do feel like there are so many conflicts that people find a way to have though with one another. You know, it's but that is challenge of especially like a TV show, right, a movie You're like, Okay, I'm going to make this one movie. I'm going to come up with a conflict. We're going to build the whole story around it. Boom, We're good. Right, But like a TV series like oh man, they used to do like twenty some episodes a season, right, Like, there's a lot of conflicts to come up with, and like you need your A plot, your B plot, like it's it's a lot of stuff, and I mean, I do think there's plenty of things. I mean also, I'll just I'll just throw in a little like writing thought is like I think the idea that like all writing stems from conflict or all drama, or like that all good stories have to be firmly rooted in conflict. I think it's absolutely not true. And I think there are other modes of storytelling, and you know they might not be as you know, capitalistically successful as easily, but like you can tell stories that don't have that much conflict.
Speaker 4: It's it's doable, you know.
Speaker 8: But I do think Hollywood and a lot of storytelling is addicted to conflict and just money is what people know, right, And and it's like, I think writers and viewers and executives have such a hard time being like, okay, let's let go of just totally put away this one sort of like vector of conflict, and then then we have to think about what's left right, and and it's if you're trying to do twenty some episodes a year, it's like that's it's pretty hard.
Speaker 4: But like, I don't know, I feel like you could do it. But maybe maybe if they did.
Speaker 9: Like globalization or media gives me something to do it a little.
Speaker 7: I think you're right right now, Hollywood is not going to take some you know, Ugandan or Paraguayan you know author and give them five hundred million dollars to make a story about a science fiction story written that outside of the American context. But we're seeing more and more TV shows strut Tour really explore those things.
Speaker 9: One of my partner, Mary, has.
Speaker 7: Really gotten into a TV show I believe it's called Untamed, but it's basically is an epic fantasy story with you know, like different warring houses and sword fighting and magic set in China, and it's told by you know, it's made by Chinese creators, and it's you know about China. The way like Lord of the Rings is kind of very much like, you know, drawn out of Western you know, German and English mythology. This is very much drawn out of Jenny's mythology in various ways. It also has an awful lot of wonderful gay content, which is a great thing about that show in particular that I recommend. But like, there's a number of these shows being made now and and so it does give me some hope that I would love to see some like you know, Netflix Africa. Hopefully not Netflix at all, but like some you know, TV company start to to know, let's see afro Futurism on on you know, as a TV show made in Nigeria or somewhere else like that, because I love that it's happening in print. But I do think that the mass media is still always going to be on screen, and.
Speaker 9: It's not that I think.
Speaker 7: I think at the end point, I'm never going to end up saying, Okay, this is better because it doesn't have the Frontier. But I think the more we get to watch TV science fiction that doesn't have the frontier, it allows us to see how much the frontier is a part of Star Trek and that's necessarily bad. Like I love Star Trek and I think Star Trek has great ethical content. But yeah, I think you're really doing a good job of highlighting how much the frontier is baked in, and I feel like getting to see other things outside of that context really helped highlight that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think like Netflix actually has done a good job of broadening their sort of sourcing of of shows right at least and maybe movies as well, where they're I mean, I watch most of what I watch is from Spain or Mexico, you know, and like because I like to watch my fiction in Spanish because then I feel like I'm studying or something. But like it's you know, it is interesting seeing different shows made in different places that you know, have sensibilities that are somewhat different than most of the shows you'll see that are made in the United States or or in I mean for that matter, like if you just watch English shows or movies compared to like American ones, there's there's a difference or Canadian like Canadian comedies. It's like like I mean, I think like Kim's Convenience and like Shit's Creek, Like they they play with that sort of not having conflict exactly the same way you would have in most American sitcoms, right, Like some things will just end up not being a big deal that you're like, this would be definitely be the big embarrassing conflict at the end.
Speaker 7: One of an Americans. One of the things that you never know. It's funny because it's the apps. You hardly noticed at the times, but the writers have said they were very explicit about this. You know, the main one of the main characters is gay, and gay romance is a big part of the show. Homophobia never occurs in the show, like there's never that, it is never a source of conflict there and even like there's a problem with the parents, but it's much to do with like just the cultural like the parent I think I think the parents of one or more kind of small town and have some issues with like the big sitty noess of the other partner. But like they made a very conscious decision of we wanted to tell stories about a queer character for whom homophobia was never going to be a source of drama. And it's amazing to say that that's revolutionary, but it was revolutionary, you know. And in the same way people are saying, like, you know, for a while, if you had a woman action hero or superhero, so often her story was built out of you know, sexual violence happening to her or someone in her life and thus acquiring power to fight back about that, and people being like, no, stop, let's stop having that story, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And it's not even that you can like never tell the story. It's just like, don't always tell the story. Whatever the story is, like tell different stories. And like when there's something that's such a low hanging source of conflict, it's like, you know, it's like, oh, should we do that one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do that one.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: I mean there's a reason that there's like websites about like TV tropes, right, and it's like, oh, it's this trope. Oh, it's that trope, like there's just like you know, a list to say, oh, we'll do one of those episodes that like, you know, we'll do one of the episodes where somebody gets like one volume of the encyclopedia and then then all the words that start with a V or a P or whatever, like you know. I mean, there's a lot of ideas, there's a lot of sources of conflict.
Speaker 4: You don't always have to.
Speaker 8: Go to the like really low hanging ones, particularly when they're ones that like you know, echo traumatic events that many people have experienced, right, like maybe back away from those completely for a while, and then you can sprinkle them in occasionally if you want, but doing it in a conscious way, but like just not not always the thing. Whatever the thing is, whether the thing's the frontier definitely, or you know, homophobia or violence or anything like that, or criminal law.
Speaker 4: Or criminal law exactly exactly.
Speaker 10: I mean, if there's a American shows tendathy or you can do forty two minutes in any of them show about two people not communicating effectively of the first time.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you if you hang out how you say so and then talk about media.
Speaker 9: One of the first things that will come out of the show.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of people monogamous or anything can be sick of the love trying a trope, but hang out with polyamorous people and talk about love triangles and the like, why doesn't she just date both of them? Is a concept you're going to hear a lot, you know, because Yeah, I think I think especially when you're those tropes feel all the worse when you're you're sort of living out that, Like, it doesn't have to be this way.
Speaker 9: What's been a fantastic conversation.
Speaker 7: I want to kind of give both everyone a chance to kind of say last words and start to wrap up. Matthews, any kind of big parts of this we haven't covered, or any kind of quotes or other points you wanted to make before we start to wrap up.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know what, I actually do have a quote.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 10: So nineteen sixty Kennedy gets elected and he's going to send people to the new He doesn't know he's going to do it. He's going to be inaugurated in the end of January sixty one. He gets a science advisor. He's the first president to get a science advisor. A guy named Jerome Weisner, who's the president of that night, the engineer, I get an entire committee report on what we should do in the space program, and one of the things he said was, you know, probably, no matter what, we're going to go. So the question is how are we going to go? And the quote from that report given to Kennedy before he's even slum in as president, in this about humans and space, given his enormous curiosity about the universe, which he and his compelling words to go where no one has ever been before. This will be done nineteen sixty one. We're talking guys. And the fact that and the fact that Star Trek interrogates that.
Speaker 9: My mother was very much a sixties hippie.
Speaker 4: I wanted to say that it makes it the.
Speaker 7: Best way to understand the fundamental hopefulness of the nineteen sixties is to watch Star Trek, because especially she would say this as we were watching the next generation the nineties, which is very positive and I think has hope in it, but it doesn't have that fundamental the sense of like science is going to make everything better that it does.
Speaker 9: And I think you.
Speaker 7: Could like probably do an interesting sociology class in America in the sixties versus America in the nineties just by excoose me looking at those two shows.
Speaker 9: So yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Very true living through chemistry.
Speaker 9: We're going to do the sports ethics one. We'll get to that promise. You can have. Barry Bonds is your hero moment.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 9: There you go, there you go. He took a super serum, that's for sure.
Speaker 8: I didn't say he's by heros he there's a difference.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I've really enjoyed this. I don't know a ton about Star Trek. I hadn't really thought about the frontier in this exact manner, and I enjoyed getting to explore that with the two of you and and the perspective you're bringing.
Speaker 4: I did see the Borg movie.
Speaker 8: H there was there's a movie right where they're like, the main antagonist is the Borg, and.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 8: It felt kind of more like a horror movie than like what I expect out of Star Trek a little bit because they're like a little bit of the.
Speaker 4: Z will be assimilated.
Speaker 8: And I just I've always wanted to make well for the last five or six years. A teacher that says resistance is futile, the only solution is revolution. That's all I got, like a nont like a quiet revolution.
Speaker 9: It is a common play on the that's not like it's never me.
Speaker 7: There does money that Star Wars has, and probably the two most successful I think the two most successful movie is Our Next Our First Contact, which, like you're right, is very much it has a lot of Star Trek themes but still as many as a horror movie, and Wrath of Khan, which has very little to do with the normal Star Trek themes of like exploration and encountering the new and ethical challenges. It's basically just a submarine movie, like if you watch a World War two submarine movie and there's some conflict between the captains. That's Wrath of Khan. Ratha Cohn is very much not Star Trek. I think it's one of the best science fiction movies ever made. I love it, and it's hugely successful, but it's not it's kind of different from Star Trek. I'll just close by also adding Buffy Bot further chimed in when we're talking about a Hora that yes, she wasn't the captain and was also the Star Trek Smurfett, but glorified Secretary is a few steps up from the maid, especially the sixties. And I just I love the term the Star Trek smurfet and unfortunately that is so perfect for Aura. And in terms of what I appreciate is that Star Trek has always tried to find ways to sort of recognize the critiques and go with it. And so, for example, you brought up the fact, Matthew that in the nineteen sixties they were trying to push some things about gender equality, but all the women were in these miniskirts.
Speaker 9: So the first season of.
Speaker 7: Next Generation, all of the like lower ranked officers are in miniskirts, including the men.
Speaker 9: It's just like sure, yeah, just.
Speaker 7: Yeah, never a new character have a fun little like why not like this is just this how the people dress.
Speaker 8: I feel like the phrase like you know, who wears the pants on this spaceship or something.
Speaker 7: I don't think you can exactly know when ratings week was loading. I'm not sure for Next Generation by looking at when they go to the planet where the people have some very cultural anthropological reason for not wearing clothing, but it.
Speaker 9: Was almost always during ratings week.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: Matthew had a last comment to make.
Speaker 4: M hmm, Well, you know, say what you want.
Speaker 7: The other things when we say to her, like we think about like her kissing Kirk shouldn't be a big deal, and whatever else you say about her character. Numerous TV stations in the South wouldn't play that episode, so clearly it was a like real groundbreaker, and I love the way that, Like I don't love the J J Airams star Trek very much, but I think one thing he did was he said, Okay, let's take over his character and make her much more badass, and he gives her much more power and responsibility. So it's a way you can take that kind of thing and have it grow.
Speaker 4: To an extent.
Speaker 10: This is the people recently have been saying bad things about the News Star Trek, and they're saying, you know, it was never so political and it was never so woke. And the reason they're saying that is because the stuff that they were being political and woke about.
Speaker 4: Is just normal enough. So they won. They won.
Speaker 7: The fact that I kind of would love to see that, Like, you know, if you could ever talk to forced ghost jack ugg about and have him deal with the fact that Marvel is all of a sudden woke, you know, this night the Jew in nineteen forty one, before we're in World War Two, writing a story about literally Jews creating a golam to go and punch Hitler. You know, you could tell him that we want. I think he'd still want to punch everybody who thinks Marvel is now woke and wasn't. But I still like that image, so well, thank you both. It's been a fantastic conversation.
Speaker 9: Matthew.
Speaker 7: We're definite going to have you back on. But in the meantime, for people who are really intrigued they want to read some stuff you've written or find other stuff you're doing, where can they look.
Speaker 4: I try to avoid being online. You know, I have a Facebook that is about it.
Speaker 10: But if you just go to my web page, which is Matthew Kapell dot com, you can see the stuff I've done, which you know, there's a couple of books on Star Trek that I'd rather have that are listen there.
Speaker 9: I so appreciate professor saying that, but.
Speaker 10: You can also always get used, right, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have to.
Speaker 10: I have to assign one of my own books this coming semester.
Speaker 4: I'm the class.
Speaker 7: I had a professor who would because the books are in grad school. They were reprinted every year, and they would like change the pit pit pagination a bit so that it would hard to figure out. And so she would say, like, I want you to read pages twenty through twenty seven in the twenty fifteen version, but that would be pages twenty two through twenty nine and the tooth like she just would do that to like help out. So and Paul, we've been doing all this on the Zen Madman twitch stream, which one of these days we're going to get around to advertising for five minutes before an episode goes up.
Speaker 9: But what is the z mad Man up to? Yeah, like a lot.
Speaker 8: Of chess lately, like and which you know, I've been looking at chess books and they're they're you know, they're actually somewhat reasonably priced.
Speaker 4: I was I was.
Speaker 8: Looking at like the Mi T Open coursewear a lot of times because I think, oh, maybe i'll study this, maybe I'll study that, And it's like it's great that all these things are free online. But at the same time, then you look at the books you're supposed to get and you're like, oh, my goodness, Like you know, but yeah, so I think it's great to promote your own used books as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm tweeting, I'm playing chess, I'm playing poker, I'm doing things on various I haven't.
Speaker 4: Been making well.
Speaker 7: Thank you about so much, I say to a listener wrote ins and great feedback Thor movie. I am going to read your feedback, Paul, as I understand has not yet seen the Thorn movie, so I just want to wait until that happens. But it should be going to the Disney Plus fairly soon September eighth. Okay, cool, So we will get this because we did a great episode on Thor and the Odyssey with a rabbi that I.
Speaker 9: Really am the November eight. Oh thank you.
Speaker 7: I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and I give him a plug again pop culture Rabbi on Great check Out. But of course, so we will get to that listener content and we love more. So let us know what you think. What do you think of this whole concept that we're talked about. Are you a Star Trek fan? Do you hate Star Trek? Is this new ideas of this stuff you've been thinking about before?
Speaker 9: Let us know.
Speaker 7: You can find all the ways to contact us by going to the Ethical Panda dot Com. There, of course, you'll also find all the other podcasts that I do, including Star Wars Universe podcast, which Paul is a frequent guest on. We're going to get Matthew on there as well. We're going to Right now, we're doing some stuff with the books and continuing our coverage of the TV show. So Rebels were getting really excited for and Or. And Or was supposed to be my birthday present. It was going to go live on August thirty first, my birthday. It's been pushed back a few weeks. Just gives us more time to get excited. I'm reading every book that has some relevance to it to try and get psyched up for it.
Speaker 9: So check out that, check out this.
Speaker 7: If you haven't, please subscribed to both of these podcasts, and most importantly, as fans, be good to each other.