Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles. Did you see how I waited perfectly till the countdow it was finished?
Speaker 2: And it's funny because You'm like, I don't want to look like an asshole or an idiot, Like those are very different specters there.
Speaker 1: I think I'm used to looking like an asshole, not an idiot, and in this case, I look like an idiot. But the truth is, if if someone said to me, who is the person that you care the least about looking like an idiot? I would say, well, SERENI, it's very true because I'm the safest.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I went to uh Florida the past week with my kids and we went to Dave and Buster's for two days in a row.
Speaker 3: I got too many credits, hilarious.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I was thinking. But basically I was like, I'm not leaving here without using all of these.
Speaker 3: So we did my two dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did every game in that place, and I mean I'm talking, I'm shooting baskets, I'm doing like the throw the thing at the milk bottles, the ring toss, like we even did this like interactive game where you have to like run around and like hit these boxes that light up.
Speaker 3: Like I definitely you were there like an idiot.
Speaker 4: It's another reason why.
Speaker 1: Oh yep, it's another reason why I know though that you and I are different, because I said to you when you told me you were going back there, I'm like, you're so good as a mom, because like you will get out there. I would literally be like, you, guys, let's make it quick. I'm gonna be over here at the table on my phone, like no pho.
Speaker 3: I was like, way into the idea.
Speaker 2: It was either that or go to the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, which I was also very excited about, but they chose.
Speaker 3: So of course, I'm just a big kid.
Speaker 1: So well, I'm excited that you're coming into town.
Speaker 2: I know we're gonna have some dinner with some friends from Austin and yes, yeah it should be a good night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited. You know though, that I'm dinner's at five o'clock.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I actually just had that in mind as I made my late breakfast, I was like, this is it until dinner Early birteen Early bird Special.
Speaker 1: It's because I'm leaving to go out of town and i feel like there's somebody dog sitting at my house which requires me to clean a bunch and like make that, change all the sheets, and so I'm like, I've got I feel like I need to be home earlier. I hear you anyway, but I am superstoked about our guests today.
Speaker 4: Who if you guys have.
Speaker 1: Listened for a long time, we had Mallory Handful on our show. Who is now doctor Mallorie Handfling? Ye, congratulations and welcome to the show. Mallorie. We're so excited.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I'm delighted to be here again.
Speaker 1: Good. Well tell it, Like, first of all, the topic that you were studying is something I had never even heard of until Melissa told me about it, and then it clicked in me like well, duh, yeah, that's got to be a thing, and then around that time that Melissa was talking about it, you showed up and you were doing a whole research study on it, and a lot of our listeners like knew about your study. So anyway, tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So my study is called the Firefly Study. So I coined a term called firefly as an alternative to late in life lesbian. I wanted something that was more gender and sexuality inclusive and expansive for folks at who like, have gone into a marriage and then realize that they're either not as straight as they thought that they were, or that their gender shifts over time, or that they realized something knew about their gender. And so late in life lesbian is a little bit alienating for some folks because not everybody's a lesbian, not everybody's a woman. But they shared that experience. And so, like the insect of firefly spends most of their lives underground, they go through a metamorphosis, and when they emerge their most authentic self, they glow and they bring joy to others. So that's the backstory above firefly. And so this is the Firefly Study. And basically I wanted to know how and why that happens. We're seeing a lot more of it. We're seeing celebrities coming out later in life. We've got Sophia Bush, We've got that woman from Pitch Perfect. We've got all kinds of like great representation which we didn't have before. And I was really curious about like why this is suddenly more visible and also like why it happens at all. And so I wanted to explore what's called compulsory heterosexuality basically straight until proven otherwise, and that's essentially how our culture works. It comes from some religious dogma in terms of like marriages between a man and a woman, and then all of the privileges that are associated with marriage, like things like insurance and mortgages, and you know, just general safety and security in the world and all of that. And so compulsory heterosexuality is the idea that, like there are these cultural influences that kind of steer people in a certain direction towards heterosexual partnerships. There's kind of three components of it. It's a lack of representation, a privileging of heterosexual identity, and then a dismissal of same sex experiences as being valid. And so if those things didn't exist. Adrian Rich, who coined the term in nineteen eighty, wants to know would that even be a thing? Would would women choose men at all? My theory is probably not agree, But also you know, just how influential is is how much is it pushing people towards certain lifestyles? And then I also wanted to know what helps with that, because if that's a real thing that we're dealing with, then like what's the antidote to it? And my inkling was that it was community. It's the representation, it's the hearing the stories that are just like ours, the normalization and validation of that. And so that's what the Firefly Study is and continues to be. And I have a lot of cool findings to share with you all from my twenty one semi structured qualitative interviews.
Speaker 1: I love I love this, I know and it is so true. Like Melissa and I have talked about, like I think somebody even said to your daughter, Melissa, like they're going to be boyfriend and girlfriend when she was really little. I remember telling a story and you were kind of like, it is just pushed on you from four years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where's your friend? Where's your girlfriend?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Friend.
Speaker 2: I was friends with a lot of boys growing up, and every time it was reference that that was my boyfriend. Yeah, And I'm like, I'm three, you know, I'm four years old. Like, how is that already sexualized and placed on you too? I remember even thinking that in my coming up process of thinking like, oh, well, I've I had boyfriends all this time. I can't be gay, like I decided in the third grade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now look at me now, I do wonder too, like the reverse, Like the way that I raised I did some of that, for sure.
Speaker 1: You can't help it. You're in a culture of doing it. And I was married to a man. But my son is gay, and from when he was little he had an older sister, so he ended up being sort of in our home. At least he did dress up with her. He did. There was no rules around what he was allowed to do, and he had a lot of representation because he just lived in a very liberal area. We saw a lot of gay people. And he did come out at like seven or eight. He was just like I like boys and I'm going to marry Jonathan. And it just I wonder how many more people would to your point end up, like, oh, in if there was no stigma at all to who you pick, you just pick who you want to kiss.
Speaker 4: That was one of my research questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, tell us, like, let's get into that research here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, how cool, Like it sounds like own's a great kid and I wish him and Jonathan all the best. And that was one of my questions that I asked my participants was, like, tell me about your understanding about your gender and your sexuality in childhood. Did you have really intense friendships that, in hindsight were actually like crushes. Were you actually in love with these people? Did you feel like you could explore these did you like things? Did you have questions that you felt like you had to keep to yourself or were you able to ask it to adults in your life that felt safe. And so the feedback that I got from that was no, like they were just really intense friendships, and they didn't understand why they had these like massive blow up breakups, and it was because they were heartbroken. They were hurt, and they like kind of were reconciling the fact that like they didn't live in a world that they created, you know, because of the adults in their lives that that made sense that there was room for it. A lot of like prescribed gender roles, so like sexual scripts played a big role in the stories of my fireflies. They knew they were told how to be a good girl, a good woman, They were told how to be a good whatever gender they were assigned at birth, and they didn't want to deviate from that because they were worried about social ostracization. They were worried about, you know, the alienation of it. And so you know, like that prescription of like, well you're a girl, so you're gonna have curls in your hair and barettes and you're going to be like dolled up. And so one of the chapters of my dissertation is called Kukla, which is from my participant, Chris Still. And all of my names are are pseudonyms. So Crystal said that her grandmother, who is like very like old school traditional Greek, would live with them and make her dresses and like put her hair in curls and like call her Kupla, and she was like the little doll. And so that actually that idea of like little girls being dolls is pervasive because they become playthings they become something that you can play with and enjoy and is there to delight as opposed to being autonomous within themselves, and they internalize we internalize that script into when we get into adolescents and puberty and sexual scripts and how we perform in those and when the compulsory head our sexuality enters the picture and is telling us that we're supposed to be with a man or a boy or whatever it is, and we have this internalized idea that like, okay, well, this is how girls behave in sexual situations.
Speaker 1: We're dolly.
Speaker 4: And so I saw a lot of that, a lot of sexual experiences that they felt like they should be having because it was normalized, you know, locker room talk talk that you'd have with your girlfriends at sleepovers and things like that. And then also like a lot of my participants had sexual experiences with their friends because of course they did, like that's how girls learn, and like not all girls, some girls aren't curious in that way, but it gets normalized, right, it's part of the scripts that we're told about, like how that's okay, And that's that part of compulsory head sexuality. That's the dismissal of the same sex relationships or experiences is being valid.
Speaker 1: I think, like to that thing about the grandma, it's like it's also it's so pervasive that the grandma actually thinks she's being so loving. Mm hmm, like to her, that's a showing love. She is such a tertal doll. I'm gonna yeah, I'm gonna dress you up. She's complicit but innocent. Yeah, because it's like that pervasive yep.
Speaker 4: And my participant Nancy was like I was the youngest of a whole bunch of kids and neighborhood kids, and I was always the one that was like dressed up like a doll. And I was there their little toy. I was there things that they could play with and make how they thought I was supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also in the meantime, they're like getting positive reinforcement from that too.
Speaker 3: The attention is prodded them, like.
Speaker 4: You're so cute the community. So I had this participant, Camille, who is a listener, so I'm excited that she will hopefully hear this and I want to thank you for your story. But shared that she engaged in this play with the neighborhood children because she just wanted to fit in. She just wanted to be able to play, and that came at the expense of her bodily autonomy. And like she engaged in things that probably in hindsight felt wrong and off for her. Yeah, but she wanted to be included more than she wanted to protect your bodily autonomy. And that's also a script that is reinforced by our society by the way that we are told girls women should behave So continia is everything.
Speaker 1: It's such a precarious time too in their development that it's like it's so formative in that time period. So being the doll or in Camille's case, just this, they dressed her up, they did all these things. It's like that time period of your life, there's so much happening. So it's just beyond I mean, I think I grew probably more in that timeframe than now. Well, So it's just all that stuff is so internalized.
Speaker 2: And on top of that, Malory you can probably speak to this is like all those things are happening to you as a child, but you're not processing them, like you're not thinking about like the bigger picture of what's happening. Like there's such a little processing happening, and you're in your brain at that time, so it's just kind of like these things happen and then you move along. But then you know later as we know, that gets like way way heavier and you can't ignore it anymore.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so, I participant Eleanor the way, so she didn't actively process it in terms of like connecting it to the fact that it was like Eleanor's non binary and said that their dearest wish was to never wear a dress again in adulthood, and they would have tantrums every single time that their mother tried to put them in a dress. And so there was there was an active kind of like reaction in the moment, but it wasn't processed as like a this feels wrong, this isn't me. It just seemed like, you know, Eleanor was a different difficult child, and she wasn't a difficult child. And Eleanor uses she they pronounce, and she she was just she just knew that it didn't feel right for her. And similarly, you know, another thing that I saw with my participants was a lack of representation of non white performance of gender and sexuality. I had participant Allison, who was mixed Asian is the way that she described herself. And she was like, I didn't see myself represented in magazines, and so I wanted to dye my hair blonde, which is crazy to think about. And I wore like these really long fike eyelashes and long nails and like hyperfemininity, and I was trying to figure out who I was. And then like, also, because I was mixed Asian in a white community, I didn't want to stand out any more than I needed to. I wanted to blend into the community. I wanted to not give anyone a reason to like not include me. And I think that at that pivotal time, Melissa, that you're talking about that that inclusion, that buy in is so important, and especially for non white folks and non white queer folks, there's a lot of discussion about how important it is to have representation of different bodies, different races, different ethnesties, and like all of the ways that that gets eliminated from the discussion at all, And so I wanted to make sure that I did know that too, And it happens in adulthood too, Like even in talking about community with the Firefly study, my black participants were like, it's really hard to find black lesbian spaces, and I was like, yes, yes, you're right, it is, and you're having a different experience than white participants are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you actually speak to that a little bit, because I do feel like there's not as many people of color that come out later on life.
Speaker 3: Did you notice that at all?
Speaker 2: Just based on kind of like our listenership and the people that reach out to us. I feel like it's maybe it's just because we're white, but like majority of people who reach out to us are you know, white women. What did you find with the study?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I originally planned on having like sixteen participants and then they were I think all except for one or two of them were white, and I was like, this is not okay, Like I need to have a representative sample of like all of the different versions of the firefly story that I could get. So I ended up extending my study to twenty one participant because at that point I felt like, all right, this is going on for a long time. I need to move forward with this dissertation and I have some adequate representation. One piece of feedback that I got from my black participants was that there's like a veil of Christianity over the Black community. So there's a lot of like deeply rooted, patriarchal, kind of heteronormative values that come from a religious place that are kind of self imposed and also like familiarly imposed. For the black community, there's this extra layer of what it means to come out and the fear of losing access to your family, to your community, to your religious community, and like the acceptability or non acceptability of that, and so oftentimes for black fireflies, it's better to do like a don't ask, don't tell kind of a situation and like live your life, but like your family's not going to know about it or ask about it, and you're always going to have that roommate that comes to the family functions. But it's absolutely happening. They're just not as vocal about it because it's not as accepted, it's not as safe. And the way that it was explained to me is because of that veil of Christianity in the Black community, that is more influential perhaps for them than it is for some white fireflies. And that's not to say that there aren't deeply religious white firefly communities as well. And you know the process that people who grew up in religious environments need to go through. In fact, eighty percent of my participants had a deeply religious upbringing. But specifically as we're talking about how it relates to black participants, Yeah, like that's definitely a big thing. And then like those really deeply ingrained sexual scripts about what it means to be a man, what it means to be a woman, and the lack of kind of like flexibility or acceptability around that as well. And they're going through the world differently than white participants are. So I think, you know, part of part of the PhD is like, well, what's next, Like why are you doing this? And what happens after this? And I'm not the person to do this, but I want to help create community with black facilitators or person of color facilitators to create that space for those individuals who feel like they're missing out on being able to talk about those experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be great, because I do I have heard that within like the gay male community, that like in the black community, that they really feel like they cannot come out or that they are very closeted. I know, I love only know black men like that that, yeah, very much have to be on the download and it's because of the homophobia within the community. And then on top of that, these men, you know, they're raised to be tough, and like when that's not happening, they've got to kind of just hide that.
Speaker 3: Part of themselves. It's really I mean, it's tuck sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would just start to be a huge problem. But I was thinking about how there are plenty of white super religious people, but I think to your point, it's like we don't. I think in the black community, likely they feel the sense of, like I need my community even more because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm already on the margins, right, I think you're right, Like there's such a there's a more of a close knit sense of community within them than there is with with white people, you know, and like marginalized, Like yeah, so they've got to wady together. So yeah, if you're going to marginalize yourself even more more, where do you go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the work of Shamika Thorpe talks about that a lot. Doctor Shimika Thorpe. She explains that for black folks, they are forever and always a representation of the community, like they can't themselves individually, because anything that they do individually reflects on the community, especially if it's perceived as othered. And so to come out in the black community is like almost like damage points to the black community, and you're not going to risk that because there's already so much suffering. There's already so much marginalization and racism and systemic damage and harm caused to black communities, and so they will choose to not live authentically outwardly, at least for the sake of protecting for their communal sense of responsibility. And I think the white community doesn't necessarily feel that sense of communal responsibility in the way that black folks do because they haven't had to, right, They've been free to do whatever the fuck they want. Yeah, and that's part of the systemic racism, and we need to explore. And that's like the purpose of the study is, like, we don't exist in silos. We are constantly being bombarded by all of these other influences on a systemic level, and we need to consider the intersectional makeup of who we are and what's influencing us and what choices we can and can't make. And so race is absolutely a part of that systemic racism is partly an influence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's and it's not just the kind of it's like there's so much marginalization, even financially with you know, you're scared now if I'm like ostracized, how am I going to freaking pay my rent? How am I gonna? Yeah? Gosh, that's really that's hard, is there? It's so multifactorial? Is there an age that you feel like people do tend like? I remember when I was in therapy, when I first came out, she was saying to me that every woman has a reckoning and it can happen at twenty, it can happen at fifty, it can happen at eighty. And she's like, congratulations that yours is happening at forty. This is your reckoning. And I remember thinking like, wow, that's such an interesting way to look at it, that everybody has to face themselves and just kind of at some point, when do you do it? Did you notice like a trigger or a catalyst to what causes people to then say enough is enough? Like I need to do this thing.
Speaker 4: Oh that's such a good question, And the answer is multifaceted. One is that the older you get, and the more autonomy that you have, the more fiscal autonomy that you have, the ability to secure a job, make sure you can pay your bills, take care of your kids. You know you're not going to be financially on an island that feels unsafe, then you feel more able to make those choices for yourself. Importantly, a lot of my participants had their reckoning when the political climate shifted, so twenty sixteen and then also twenty what was it, twenty twenty twenty one, whatever it was, and they said that the hate was so loud that they couldn't tolerat it, their nervous systems couldn't tolerate it on a daily basis. So my participant Lynn was like, she was married to a man in the military, and so in the military there's not a lot of queer representation and a lot not a lot of ability to form community in that way. And her husband was, you know, very conservative and very outspoken about his conservative values, and so she realized that like anytime she would hear him say something hateful and internalized her own process. She was like, you're talking about me and you don't even know it, and that that discomfort felt like it was too much. And then my participant Bridger, had a similar situation and hers was combined also with the loss of a parent. A lot of folks had a loss of a parent that felt like they were able to come out after that. I don't know if it was like the grief of like the reckoning of their own mortality, or the distancing from a worry of judgment or worry of losing that connection, but a lot of participants noted that the death of a parent was.
Speaker 3: Uh so si.
Speaker 4: For example, the person who connected me with the two of you and one of your listeners said that her mother's death was a thing that for her allowed her to get so uncomfortable that she couldn't do it anymore. And so some a trigger like that is absolutely a thing that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I lost a close relative.
Speaker 2: A couple of years prior to coming out or realizing, and I do think that that was the shock of that, the age, all those things I think that did really like open my eyes a lot to you know, just this is or live yeah, yeah, if not, no one.
Speaker 1: And even once you come out like I there's a listener to our show who lost her mother and I think it's making her even look at everything like am I happy? Am I did? I?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: What else do I need? Like I do think it like you said it facing your own mortality. I feel that now like watching my mom and dad, who are still very active and feel young. I still when I'm with them and thinking like life is bleeding, it is like, yeah, so it wasn't like any so that how does the political climate like I would think like what you're describing would be even more I'm scared to come out, Like not that the hate pushed me to be like they're talking about me. It's almost like now I'm scared because everybody thinks gay people are terrible.
Speaker 4: It's both, yeah, So it's simultaneously a if I don't speak up, who will? And like I need to be the person who's going to show the younger generation, who's going to show other people who are like me that it's okay and it can be safe and you just have to find your people and that we're like we're not bad and we're not evil and we're not wrong or anything like that. And so there's people who are feeling like I hate that it's even a thing like rebelliously visible and they're like, fuck you, I'm here, you have to see me. And then conversely, and this was true for a non binary and a trans participant that I had, that they felt they couldn't be out and proud, that they needed to protect their safety and their peace because of the hate that they were experiencing. And so one of my chapters is called, well I'm not you know, flying a rainbow flag at the end of my driveway, and so that was from Bridger, and Bridger was like, I'm scared that, Like, you know, if I if I felt like it was a choice, I might not choose to come out right now. But also like it's not a choice and I have to do this thing, but I'm not going to fly a rainbow flag at the end of my driveway. So there was that, and then Tom was like talking about their challenges with their partner who's a CIS woman, and their wife was like, well, we have to show everybody that we're a safe space and our neighbors can come to us. And Tom was like, I maybe we're a little bit quieter now, like just because like it's not safe and like I don't want to see like humfort down our house, right and it's crazy, like that's it's just so divided and so violent right now for anyone who's queer or trans, or non binary or gender non conforming, that you sit with that dissonance, you sit with that ambivalence of like, I have arrived at this understanding of myself and I want to be in the world as myself. And also there are people in the world that seem to hate that I exist, and how how do you reconcile that? How do you live with that and in honor of that on a daily basis? And so those variety of influences systemically are going to be the deciding factors of like what feels accessible to you and what doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to live over time with a secret. Like one of the things I noticed, and Melissa and I talk about a lot is after we came out, our friendships deepened and are even I would say, I don't know that you would say this, but my relationship with my mom and dad got stronger, and my sister, Like, I just feel like I was able to totally. I'd spent so many years hiding this thing that then once it was out, it was sort of like I can have better conversations because you really know me. Yeah, and I wonder too, like if you go so long, it's like you see these people, like the men you were talking about on the down low. To hide this part of yourself, I mean, your sexuality is a huge part of yourself, it just would create such an almost like cancer inside you that you're living with. How do you know anyone? It would be It would seem now like to go back so lonely for me.
Speaker 4: It is lonely. It's a performance, right, It's it's a performance. Yeah, And it's the amount of energy that it frees up for you when you are able to step into that authenticity and you're able to have those open and honest conversations promote like creativity and deep authentic connections and like cause you're not trying to stay on top of like okay, well I said this, and like I need to stay consistent with that. It's just kind of like like it's like the idea like when you lie, you have to remember like who you like to you lied about, and if you don't lie, you don't have to worry about messing it up.
Speaker 1: It's just like a freedom.
Speaker 2: It's like it was only a couple of months before I even came out to people that I like my family and everything, and that was like so hard to keep inside, you know.
Speaker 3: Ye, it's so stressful, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how people do that for years some people.
Speaker 4: I have a seventy something year old participant who's still not entirely out, and like it's caused her to feel like she so she's a transwoman, and she feels like she can't leave the house often and like she hasn't been able to build community around her queerness or date and she's lived an entire life of just hiding and us your life. Yeah, she says she has deep regrets, but it's not coming out or just over like, no, she hasn't really been able to come out, So she has deep regrets over like not being able to be visible and not feeling able to already to be a public.
Speaker 2: Is there also a feeling too of like I wish I'd grown up in a different time, like absolutely, especially someone at that age, I would think, like God, if you want like a time like could I just be born like now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe not now, but right I know, what was this spot? I don't know twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: Then yeah, it seems to have been somewhere between like two thousand and like twenty fifteen. It was like a sweet spot of like, okay, you can breathe. But as with any you know, Judeo Christian society, like it waxes and wanes over time, and so again like what to do with this study? Like so I have this information, great, big deal, what do I do with it? There's three main components that I was like, okay, so like now I know what to do. One of them is better sex education, more comprehensive sex education for young people and for adults, so like reclaiming your pleasure, like knowing that you don't have to endure sex ever, sex is something that ought to be enjoyed and not like gotten a brovo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please tell people that because Jesus.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I know the things that we have put our.
Speaker 3: Shall talk yourself, I know, right, drink a lot of alcohol.
Speaker 4: So many of my barticipants were like, yeah, I don't drink anymore. I don't need to.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are so many friends that don't drink anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm eight years sober, Like yeah, amazing, I can like sex like not have to be fucked up, and so you know, like the sex education that like it's okay to say no, you don't have to have an orgasm. You can ask for what you want, like all of those things, and like it's okay to be an effeminate man, it's okay to be a masculine woman or anything in between, and like all of it's valid. So the sex education is critical. We need to catch them when they're young and they don't have those societal influences like the childhood friendships and like the sleepovers and the experimentation and all that stuff that's happening anyway. If they didn't have that influence, like let's see what would happen and like in courage them and support it. So number two is the training of medical and mental health professionals. They are trained in a heteronormative way.
Speaker 1: Yes, they don't have.
Speaker 4: If they have proper training at all, Like usually it's like a one or two hour like hey, let's talk about like doing a pelvic exam, or like let's talk about a rectile dysfunction, and like that's it. It's like the mechanics of it, and it's not about the intersection of the mind and the body, and it's not about various sex presentations. There's no discussion about intersex. There's no discussion about trans health care, there's no discussion about asexuality. There's no like none of it, right, and so like really beefing that up for doctors, future doctors, mental health professionals, talking to clinicians. And that's something that I intend to do, is to talk to clinicians and help kind of like create more practitioners that are competent in talking to their clients about this stuff. Is like you need to be really comfortable talking about grief, and you need to be really comfortable talking about like painful sexual experiences, and like all of these things that like some clinicians aren't going to touch because it's not covered in their school and their education. It's not covered in their CEUs unless they actively seek it out. So that stuff and then like a separation of church and state, we don't have that in the United States of America. We do not have a separation of church and state, especially right now. And on top of that, the we need to promote the equal rights legislation so that the societal influences about whether or not you're going to be able to get a mortgage as a single mother, whether or not you're going to be able to afford health insurance on your own and not on your partner's plan, your husband's plan. You know, whether or not you know all of the different things, whatever they are. The separation of church and state and the equal rights protections are critical in order for fireflies to feel like they can come out and live a happy, authentic, peaceful, secure life. And so for any listeners out there who are like, yes, and I live in the United States of America right now, Like what does that even mean? You are not powerless? So, like there's an app called five Calls where it'll give you like a whole script of like what you can say when you call your senator or your representative and it's like, hey, this is a topic that's important to me. I want you to count me as one of your constituents to know that, like I care about this and I want you to vote this way, and it's going to influence how I vote in the next election. And five Calls will like document it, script it out for you, and it's like it takes five minutes max. You can do that every day and that's your federal power. You don't have to wait for an election. So it's a way to feel less powerless. And it's in a environment where we often feel powerless and like all these terrible, atrocious things are happening and harms are being caused, and you're like, well, I'm just one person. What can I do? That's an example of something that you could do. And also like picking one cause that you feel passionate about and like staying in that lane so you don't get overwhelmed as important. But that's like what we can do with this information. These stories were gifted to me. I'm so privileged to have them, and I'm so grateful to my participants to offer such vulnerability. And I promised them all that I was going to use it for good and so you here I am, and I'm talking to you to you all about it and sharing what I can and figuring out how to make the world an easier, safer place for as many people as possible.
Speaker 1: The component you said about representation to me is huge because I think if I had been I always knew I was gay, but had I been a little eight year old tomboy, and I saw this beautiful and I don't mean physically beautiful, I mean healthy, emotionally couple, lesbian couple living in my neighborhood. I think it would have been baby with children, with all the babies I wanted. I would have thought, oh my god, I'm doing that, Like I know I would have. Other has said that you just never saw it. How in the world will you get to do that? And it's like, I just think about that sometimes, that that component you said there were three, that was one of them.
Speaker 2: That is yet And it's not just that, it's like not even seeing like I knew gay people growing up, but I never heard them talk about a partner.
Speaker 3: I never saw them with anyone hit it, So yeah, it was a secret. And it's like I equated that to them being lonely and alone, and.
Speaker 2: Why would you want to be gay? Like you're you're going to risk your life. There's stuff like Matthew Shepherd happening. You know, I'm like, you're going to be a hates crisis. I'm like, there's all these things that I saw that just said like, no way, man, Like that's not the path to go down. Like and then on top of that being dictated to me that I'm straight, you know, there was no way. Yeah, you mentioned about the religious aspect, and did you say, what'd you say? Eighty percent of the participants had some was that like extreme religious upbringing or we're talking just like a little bit.
Speaker 4: It was a mix of like extreme you know, Jehovah's Witness, evangelical, you know, like really severe religion, and then there was also kind of run of the mill went to Catholic school just because it was, you know, the better education, and went to church on Sundays and that was it and everything in between. So it doesn't have to be like severe. It can just be these are the rules that we have learned to live our life by, These are virtuous ways to exist. And it all influenced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I mean, I did not grow up religious. Like it was like a on a scale of one to ten, maybe like a three four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but I do.
Speaker 2: Remember feeling like a lot, like I felt so uncomfortable around sex with men, and I always thought it was like it must be because I'm sinning, like yeah, And it's like another layer to it of just like convincing yourself that you're you're not gay, and it's it's just like your brain just reasons in a million ways, is to like why I guess the circles back to the whole, Like you don't want to be othered, you know, so you're going to reason your way out of it in any way possible.
Speaker 4: And you were talking about it earlier about like young minds that don't know how to make sense of this stuff. It's the religion component of it is kind of like low hanging fruit, Like it's right there, and it's like if you're gay, you're sinning, and it's like, oh, okay, that's why I'm so uncomfortable as opposed to you don't have any representation in magazines or movies or TV shows, and if you do, it's like this turbulent, like violent, chaotic relationship with lesbians and like you know this this dramatic, terrible thing that's happened, or God forbid, you see a happy ever after with like two women and kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've had a participant who was a medical doctor and she hadn't considered that like she could have kids through IVF, even though her sister was doing IVF like for other reasons, and so she she got married because she knew that she wanted kids. And then I had Loralai, who was in a queer relationship for a number of years and like helping her girlfriend her friend raise this kid and they so they were like having this little queer family. And she's like, oh, I never saw a future in it because like I didn't have any representation of that. I just knew that this was a moment, So she didn't like allow herself to fantasize about what that was going to look like. I saw a lot of that. I saw a lot of the lack of representation and the religion influencing the narratives that my participants were making about their experiences.
Speaker 2: It's interesting too, because I would like to sit here and say that like, oh, well, now there's so much more representation, Like this sort of thing isn't happening, but it's happening. Like my daughter's in middle school and she's like there's so many kids that are homophobic here and they're also deeply religious, like she's not. But she's constantly invited to things, you know, surrounding church and youth group, and it kind of sucks because I think, you know, sometimes she feels left out around it, you know, but she's also just like they're going to ask me awkward questions and I just don't the same way.
Speaker 1: Like our kids. I live in a very liberal bubble. My kids go to probably the most liberal school in the whole Southeast. It's been called the I think they called it the Granola something like. It's a very gay, liberal school. But it's it's so interesting that your kids are coming up with my kids. I mean, we see each other. Our kids commune to see each other, we have play dates. They are they are being socialized completely differently.
Speaker 3: And it's like just just the difference between the city and the suburbs.
Speaker 1: It's thirty miles away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not even like that far. And I honestly too, it's.
Speaker 2: Like fairly liberal where I live, like not majority, but leaning. And you know, those conversations are still happening among a group of seventh graders, you know, and it's I don't know that I feel like, you know, I don't think my daughter's queer, but if she is, she has the space to, you know, speak about that. But I think about those kids that are not being raised in that way, that are hearing these things in their classrooms. Still to this day, the same thing that I heard, you know, thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: It's painful. It is painful, and ninety percent of the time, I'll say it's the parents, right, And so like we're seeing this visibility, this acceptability of like hateful rhetoric, hateful discourse, and it's becoming normalized and emboldened right now. And they're hearing what their parents are saying, things that their parents are saying just the same way that we did, and they don't understand yet what that does to here, to to internalize, to disseminate. And so you've got the seventh graders who are saying, you know, oh, that's gay, and like not realizing that that's going to keep someone in the closet for years and years and years. Like I remember growing up and everything was gay, and like it's come back if they're doing it again, yeah, like that like an ironic, satirical way, like it's it's a derogatory thing again, and it's like, wow, I've been through this.
Speaker 1: I thought we've been through that.
Speaker 2: It is wild that they that people still say that, but I guess it's probably stuff that they they hear at it is you know, like I I the only reason why I even considered that it was wrong when I was a kid or a teenager, is because a classmate called me out about it, Like the one out gay guy in.
Speaker 3: My school was like, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, it made me say I'd never thought about it before. Yeah know, And I'm sure that's the way that these kids are thinking. You know, if you actually did sit them down and say, like, what do you what's what's bad about being gay? They would get very confused about how to answer that.
Speaker 4: They're like, yeah, it's just stupid. I don't mean I don't mean being gay is bad. I just mean, like it's stupid. And I was like, what, how are we right now? Stupid?
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly?
Speaker 4: I mean, I remember and a lot of my participants said as well, like being called a lesbian when you're growing up was one of the biggest insults, Like you were terrified of being called a lesbian. I have a client in my practice who actually is writing a book about like the trauma that that caused and how it resulted in her not feeling able to come out until she was thirty, like being like one of my chapters is like, like, what's uh what's in a name or like when being lesbian is a stigma or something like that. I don't remember the exact name of it, but like that label has stigma. It was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what our first episode we talked about that. It's like it was hard for us to start saying all this podcast Lesbian Chronicles because.
Speaker 1: We were like, but we knew we had to. You know, you add to your parents. My mom trips over that word.
Speaker 3: My mom so openly that it's scared less lesbian?
Speaker 4: Am I saying that right?
Speaker 1: Lesbian?
Speaker 4: So one, I'm looking at my spreadsheet right now. And thirty three, so one third of my participants said that they struggle with the word lesbian. And these are self identified people who have come out are in life, and they liked the term firefly because it offered a less stigmatized label.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: And there's also like it if you know, you know, if you don't, you don't thing with the firefly. So you know, going back to like the political climate and like what feels safe and what doesn't. Firefly hasn't yet become so ubiquitous that like if you say that you're a firefly, someone's like, oh, you're queer. It can be just like, oh, like you're an insect.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 4: That's cool, I guess. And so I have a couple of participants who you know, have a firefly tattoo, who like, oh, you're a firefly.
Speaker 3: Got you.
Speaker 4: But then there's like, I guess you just like fireflights are cool, and so that was like a safety thing. That was a big influence in pointing the term. Yeah, that is it very appealing, especially today where you never know if it's safe or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very true.
Speaker 1: Well I love the name firefly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh thank you, yeah so much. I love it too. I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming back on. Yeah, how can people find your research?
Speaker 2: Yes, people want to read your full work or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Is that available or.
Speaker 4: So it will be probably within like a month or two. It's going to be uploaded my whole dissertation, all three hundred and twenty pages of it, wow, onto ProQuest, which is kind of like an online repository of dissertations. I also would like to maybe try to turn it into a book, so we'll see what happens with that. Yeah, And then at the Firefly Journey on Instagram is my Instagram, which has developed a little bit since last year when we met. It's not in its infancy, it's and it's toddlerhood because I'm still a millennial. And then Courage to Grow. Counseling dot Org is my private practice. All my contact information. Is there any links to so I'll put the link for this episode and the last episode on there and all that good stuff and just like come find me, like I want all of the questions, I want the stories. There is a survey version of the Firefly Journey. I'm calling it like the Firefly Journey Study instead of the Firefly Study. And that's a survey version of all of the interview questions I ask my participants. So I'm still collecting data. I would love to create like the biggest Firefly study there's ever.
Speaker 3: Been, So like awesome.
Speaker 4: Tell me your stories. I can't wait to hear them. And like, the more stories that are out there, the more people feel safe to be visible. Also, so you're you're doing as as us Jews call it, amidst the U. I share your story with others, and.
Speaker 1: We should say too. Mallory Handfling is in Philadelphia. Doctor Mallory handfling is in Philadelphia. And what's the name of your practice again or were you? What is it called again, Courage to Grow Counseling, Courage to Grow Counseling. Okay, yeah, well your clients you are okay good?
Speaker 2: Are you able to treat people around the US or just within your state?
Speaker 4: So I am fully licensed in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and oddly enough Indiana. So I have a client that moved. But I am also excited that the Pennsylvania Social Work Compact is almost passed, so that'll give me some more flexibility as well. And then I also have a peer support group, pure Firefly Support Group, which is not therapeutic in nature. It's like peer run but I am part of it, so I facilitate, and so that gives me the ability to practice more expansively to other states as well. So if you're interested in building community that way, you're welcome to ask me about the Firefly Circle Support Group.
Speaker 1: Oh, I bet we have a lot of listeners that would love that.
Speaker 4: I would love to have them.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, thank you, thank you, thank you for coming, thank you, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you for all of your other episodes. Y'all are a big part of a lot of my participant stories. Your visibility has done a number for other fireflies, other people coming out later in life. So you're having a huge impact, and I want you to know that the I also want you to know that I did cite you in my dissertation and I did also give you a major shout out in my acknowledgments.
Speaker 1: Thank you made a lot happen.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you very much for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate that absolutely.
Speaker 3: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E.
Speaker 4: L I.
Speaker 1: S A and Ali A L. L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles