Speaker 1: Welcome to this deep dive. Today we're taking a look at well a pretty massive digital superpower, and more importantly, how to actually use it without you know, totally blowing up your.
Speaker 2: Own systems, right, which is surprisingly easy to do if you aren't careful.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely so. Imagine you have this digital scout, a really tireless, lightning fast web scraper that you can just send out onto the chaotic landscape of the Internet to gather massive amounts of information for you.
Speaker 2: It sounds incredible, right, You just pointed at a website and say, go get me the data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's where almost everyone makes their first like catastrophic mistake.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you think your main problem is just finding the data, but within about five minutes of launching that scout, your actual problem becomes drowning in an absolute ocean of garbage exactly.
Speaker 1: And that is the core of our mission today. We are mastering the mechanics of how to really control that digital scout.
Speaker 2: Because if data is the new oil, mean crude oil straight out of the ground, will just completely destroy a modern engine.
Speaker 1: Right If a multi million dollar e commerce algorithm scrapes like a messy string of web code instead of a clean numerical price.
Speaker 2: The whole system just crashes, it really does. So today we're going to look at how you build an automated refinery something to turn that raw, messy web code into polished, organized business intelligence.
Speaker 1: We'll be unpacking the underlying architecture of web crawling, and the beauty of this architecture is that it all relies on logical flow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you can understand the flow of the information, the actual mechanics of how you gather it become well incredibly intuitive.
Speaker 1: So our roadmap for this deep dive, we're going to break this down into three main phases. First, how to steer the crawler using allow and deny.
Speaker 2: Rules right so it doesn't get completely lost exactly.
Speaker 1: Then we'll explore this invisible assembly line of input and output processors that clean up the data.
Speaker 2: And finally we'll open up the toolkit and look at how to handle escalating data problems using specific functions.
Speaker 1: And for those of you listening, even though this is technical programming architecture, we're breaking it down step by step you'll be able to completely visualize the logic in your head.
Speaker 2: So let's start at the very beginning of that flow. The scout itself, which in the web scraping world is almost universally called a spider. A spider, right, Yeah, and a spider is essentially just an automated script, a bot really, that navigates from link to link across the web, fetching the contents of whatever pages it visits.
Speaker 1: But if you just release a spider onto a major retail website without giving it any instructions, I mean, it has no concept of what's useful then at all.
Speaker 2: It'll just click every single link it finds.
Speaker 1: Like, it'll download the about us page, the terms of service, the user forums.
Speaker 2: The shopping card, password reset pages, all of it, which burns massive amounts of your processing power and bandwidth to retrieve data that you're just going to throw right into the trash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if your goal is to build like a competitive database of their product catalog, a download of their privacy policy is totally.
Speaker 2: Useless, exactly. This is where we have to establish our guard rails. Before we can even think about refining the data. We have to make sure our crawler is fetching the correct pages to begin.
Speaker 1: With, and we do that by setting up allow and deny rules.
Speaker 2: Right, you got it. The spider really needs to know what it's looking for.
Speaker 1: So how does the allow rule actually communicate with the spider.
Speaker 2: Well, the allow option basically acts as a strict filter for the URLs the spiders permitted to follow. It relies on regular expressions, which you'll usually hear abbreviated as redx.
Speaker 1: Right. And for anyone newer to programming, a regular expression isn't just looking for an exact word match. It's more like a sequence of characters that specifies a search pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a super powered find function that looks at the structural DNA of the web address.
Speaker 1: So for URL to be extracted, it has to match that redx pattern exactly.
Speaker 2: And if you leave the allow rule completely empty, the default behavior is that the spider matches all links. It just goes everywhere, It just runs wild. Yeah. But let's say we're targeting a specific online bookstore and we only want the actual book listings.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'd set an allow rule to look for a specific pattern in the URL path, like we might configure it to only follow links that contain the string catalog slash category, slash books.
Speaker 2: Right. So, if the spider is crawling the main page and sees a link pointing to catalog slash category slash books slash science fiction. It analyzes that URL, sees the matching pattern and proceeds to crawl it.
Speaker 1: And if it sees a link to customer support slash contact, the pattern fails.
Speaker 2: Yep, the spider ignores the link completely. It never even loads the page, which is really the key to scaling your data gathering efficiently.
Speaker 1: I definitely follow the logic there, but you know, it brings up an interesting question. If the allow rule is already acting as the strict bouncer, restricting the spider to just the book categories, why do we even need a deny a rule.
Speaker 2: Oh, because website structures are notoriously chaotic. I mean, they are rarely built with perfect clean.
Speaker 1: Category ah right, things get messy, It's very messy.
Speaker 2: Categories overlap, legacy pages get left behind. Or sometimes you just want to cast a slightly wider net with your allow rule so you don't miss anything, but.
Speaker 1: You still have those highly specific areas you absolutely know will ruin your data set exactly. It kind of reminds me of sending an eager, maybe a slightly hyperactive intern into an enormous physical library to do research.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the allow rule is you telling the intern, hey, only bring me books from the nonfiction wing. Do not go to fiction, do not go to the cafeteria.
Speaker 2: But that intern is still going to bring you everything in nonfiction, including things you really don't.
Speaker 1: Want, right, which is where the deny rule acts as that vital safety net. You tell them you are allowed in the nonfiction wing, but whatever you do, stay out of the true crime section. I do not want to see those books.
Speaker 2: Translating that back to our webscraping scenario, you might have an allow rule capturing all books, but you could configure deny rules to block specific subcategory paths, like say erotica fifty or crime fifty one.
Speaker 1: So even if those paths technically sit inside the broader book catalog that's allowed by the first rule, the spider sees those specific strings in the denialist and just stops instantly.
Speaker 2: It acts as an absolute override.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have the guardrails up. The spider goes out, navigates using the allow patterns, avoids the traps with the denial patterns, and brings back the right pages.
Speaker 2: The initial gathering phase.
Speaker 1: Is complete, but the data it brings back is well, it's far from ready for analysis, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's terrible. By default, the data the spider hands you is just raw, messy HTML markup directly from the source code.
Speaker 1: Right, It's not just handing you a clean, nice spreadsheet, Like if we're trying to scrape the title of a book. It doesn't just hand over the words the Great Gatsby.
Speaker 2: No, it brings back the invisible infrastructure that tells the browser how to actually display those words.
Speaker 1: So you get like an opening heading tag, maybe a class attribute defining the font size, then some invisible white space line breaks the actual text the Great Gatsby, and then a closing heading tag.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of junk, which means we need to build the refinery. We need a system to strip all that away and leave just the clean data.
Speaker 1: And this brings us to processors.
Speaker 2: Yes, processors handle the pre processing and post processing of all this raw scrape data.
Speaker 1: They basically take that messy HTML string, format it, clean it, and turn it into a pristine data point.
Speaker 2: And this entire architecture relies on an invisible assembly line made of two really distinct phases, input processors and output processors.
Speaker 1: So an input processor acts immediately on the extracted data, like the very second the spider receives it right.
Speaker 2: As soon as that raw piece of HTML is plucked from the page, the input processor grabs it and does the initial cleaning.
Speaker 1: Then we have the output processors. So after all the raw data fragments for a specific item are collected and push through those input processors, the output processor takes over exactly.
Speaker 2: It looks at the pre clean data, applies the final formatting, and locks it in as the permanent value for that item.
Speaker 1: I kind of have to challenge this two step architecture though it feels like we're adding unnecessary complexity. Well, why not just build a massive bucket, Let the spider dump all the raw, messy HTML into the bucket for an hour, and then we just run one massive cleaning script at the very end in a single batch.
Speaker 2: It really comes down to system memory and the sheer scale of web data. Think about the efficiency of a physical assembly line. Okay, if you're scraping one hundred thousand pages and you wait until the very end to clean everything, you are forcing your system to hold massive amounts of heavy, redundant HTML tags in its active memory.
Speaker 1: Oh, so it just consumes a tremendous amount of ram huge.
Speaker 2: Amounts all right. By filtering individual pieces the moment they arrive, which is the input processor's job, you're constantly stripping away the excess weight before it even enters your database.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, So the input processor is essentially knocking the heavy mud off the boots on the porch so you don't have to spend hours cleaning the carpets inside the house later.
Speaker 2: That is a perfect way to look at it. The other crucial factor is that web data frequently arrives completely shattered into lists, shattered like an HTML page might have the title of a book broken up into multiple different text nodes scattered across the code. The input processor cleans each of those tiny shards individually as they arrive.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then the output processor acts as the final packaging step. It takes those clean little shards, assembles them into one beautiful string, and just seals the box exactly.
Speaker 2: But to run an assembly line that's sophisticated, we obviously need specific tools to solve specific problems, right.
Speaker 1: And as we look at the data arriving, the framework provides built in processors to handle escalating levels of messiness.
Speaker 2: Let's actually start with a scenario where the data isn't messy at.
Speaker 1: All, okay, the ideal scenario.
Speaker 2: In that case, we use the most basic tool available, the identity processor. It's incredibly simple because it's only function is to do absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: Wait, it returns the original values completely unchanged.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: If it does nothing, why not just leave it blank? Why even declare a processor at all?
Speaker 2: It maintains the structural integrity of your pipeline. Sometimes a field genuinely doesn't need cleaning.
Speaker 1: Like an internal product ID number that's already perfectly formatted exactly.
Speaker 2: But the framework still expects a processor to be declared for consistency. So calling the identity processor tells the framework, Hey, I acknowledge this data is here, and I am deliberately passing it straight through to the next phase without modifications.
Speaker 1: Got it the deliberate pass through? But let's escalate the problem. Because the web is chaotic. What happens if the spider accidentally scrapes empty data structures alongside our actual target.
Speaker 2: Then we use the take first processor. It analyzes the list of values it receives and simply returns the first non null or non empty value and discards everything else.
Speaker 1: So if the input comes in as a list that reads empty space, empty space at the Great Gatsby space, it just grabs the Great Gatsby and throws the rest into the incinerator.
Speaker 2: Right. And because web scraping constantly pulls an accidental empty data, take first is typically deployed as an output processor for single valued fields. When you only want one definitive answer, you just tell it to take first.
Speaker 1: Let's escalate again. We mentioned earlier that sometimes a single piece of data is shattered across different nodes in the HTML.
Speaker 2: Yes, the shattered chards.
Speaker 1: Right, so the title gets scraped as three separate fragments, the Great and Gatsby. If we use take first on that, we just get the which is obviously wrong, Which.
Speaker 2: Is when we turn to the join processor. Just as the name implies, it takes multiple fragmented values and stitches them back together into a single strength.
Speaker 1: And you define a separator, right, so you can tell it to insert a space or comma between each fragment as it joins them.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so we have basic pass throughs. We can grab the first clean item, and we can stytch fragments together.
Speaker 1: But what if the data requires a multi step decontamination process.
Speaker 2: Then we move into the advanced tools, starting with a composed processor. This allows you to chain mathematical or logical functions together, basically creating a mini pipeline within your main pipeline.
Speaker 1: How does that work in practice?
Speaker 2: Well, the composed processor takes entire chunk of input data and passes it wholly into the first function you define. That function does its job and outputs.
Speaker 1: A result, and then that result is passed directly into the second function. In summer, value A goes into the machine, gets transformed into value B, which drops into the next machine and becomes value C.
Speaker 2: Which works beautifully for single, solid blocks of data. But as we've said, web data almost always arise as a list of multiple items. This brings us to the most common, probably the most powerful processor in the entire framework, the map composed processor.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does map compose handle those lists differently than regular.
Speaker 2: Composed The fundamental difference is iteration. Instead of passing the whole massive chunk of data into a function at one uns, map compose isolates the elements in the list.
Speaker 1: It separates them.
Speaker 2: Yes, it takes the first function and applies it to each individual element separately. It processes element one, then element two, then element three.
Speaker 1: And the results of those individual cleanings are concatenated to construct a new list exactly.
Speaker 2: Then that entire new list is subjected to the second function, again iterating element by element.
Speaker 1: To make sure we're crystal clear on the mechanics here, let's use a physical analogy. Let's say our raw data is a large basket of freshly dug potatoes completely covered in thick mud.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm following, and our goal.
Speaker 1: Is a basket of perfectly washed, peeled potatoes.
Speaker 2: A very standard data cleaning requirement, right.
Speaker 1: So using the regular composed processor is like taking the entire basket of potatoes and dumping it into a large tub of water and trying to wash the whole mass at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the potatoes on the outside might get clean, but the ones trapped in the middle are still going to have mud on them when you pull the basket out to try and peel them.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It acts on the entire mass simultaneously, which leaves huge room for error.
Speaker 2: Especially when dealing with complex nested HTML structures.
Speaker 1: But map composed is different. Because map compose iterates, it means You take one single potato out of the basket, you wash it, You place it in a new clean basket. You take the next potato, wash it, move it right, and once the entire basket is washed, you iterate again with the peeler. You take one clean potato, peel it and move it. You process each piece individually, which guarantees every single element is perfectly handled.
Speaker 2: The logic of that analogy maps perfectly to messy web data. We do not want to try and clean a massive block of HTML code at once. Too messy, way too messy. We use map composed to isolate every single HTML element, strip the code tags off each one individually, and collect the clean text brilliant.
Speaker 1: Now there's one more tool we need to cover for a very specific type of modern data.
Speaker 2: Ah the select chains processor. Yes, this is a specialized tool for querying values using a Jason path because modern web applications and APIs frequently send data back in JSON format instead of traditional htemail.
Speaker 1: Let's visualize Jason format for a second. It's essentially a series of nested folders, or like Russian nesting dolls.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to picture it.
Speaker 1: You open the biggest doll labeled store and inside is a doll labeled books. You open that to find science fiction, and inside that is the final piece of data the title.
Speaker 2: And the select James processor allows you to write a specific path that acts like a laser pointer. It pierces straight through those nested dolls to extract exactly the data point you need without having to manually open every single layer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have a full toolkit. Now we understand how to set guardrails. We understand the input and output assembly line, and we have tools to handle empty spaces, shattered data, complex iterative cleaning, and nested Jason structures.
Speaker 2: We are ready.
Speaker 1: Let's mentally walk through a practical scenario. Let's look at the data blueprint for our catalog of books and actually set up the assembly line to clean it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's establish our workbench. We import the specific processors we know we'll need from the framework Join, map, compose and take first GOTTAM. We also bring in a specialized function called removed tags, which is exactly what it sounds like. It targets HTML markup and deletes it, leaving only the text.
Speaker 1: And let's also say we wrote our own custom validation function called filter price. It analyzes text to ensure the value is actually a mathematical number.
Speaker 2: Right, Because the spider accidentally scrapes the word free or out of stock, we don't want those words corrupting a database column designed specifically for numerical pricing data.
Speaker 1: So our tools are ready. The raw data for the book title field comes in from the spider. The input processor takes over immediately, and.
Speaker 2: We instructed to use map composed to run our removed tags function.
Speaker 1: So the raw data, which is just a messy list of heading tags and text, gets fed into map compose. It isolates every individual piece, strips out all the HTML, and creates a new list containing just the clean words of the title.
Speaker 2: The input phase is complete. Now the output processor kicks in to finalize the.
Speaker 1: Field for the title. We call the join function. It takes that list of clean text fragments and joins them together into a single cohesive string. The title is officially clean and stored perfect.
Speaker 2: Now we move to the price field. The raw price data comes in. The input processor again uses map composed running removed tags to strip the HTML.
Speaker 1: But remember map compose allows us to chain functions iteratively.
Speaker 2: Yes, so after it strips the tags from an element we instructed to immediately run that custom filter price function.
Speaker 1: It strips the HTML and then instantly verifies hey is the remaining text a valid number? It validates the data on the fly.
Speaker 2: And by the time the input processing is done, we have a list containing only clean, verified numerical prices.
Speaker 1: But for the output processor on the price, we face a different logical problem. We can't use join. No, definitely not, because if we use join and the list had two numbers, our final price would literally be nine time teaen point nine point ninety nine. We just want the definitive price.
Speaker 2: Which is why we invoke take first. It grabs the first clean valid number from our filtered list, assigns it as the final value for the books price, and just discards the rest.
Speaker 1: The elegance of this architecture is just remarkable. I mean, the raw, messy code comes in from the chaotic Internet, the input processor isolates it, strips it down, and verifies it piece by piece like a relentless assembly line, and.
Speaker 2: Then the output processor neatly packages it up into a single perfect data point. Because you know, if your input is garbage, your output is garbage. This system ensures your input is pristine.
Speaker 1: It really does well. Before we wrap up, let's pose a quick review exercise for you listening to test your grasp of this architecture.
Speaker 2: Good idea. Think back to our toolkit. If you have a list of raw HTML elements and you need to strip the tags from each individual piece separately before combining them, which built in processor is the correct tool for the job? If you select did map compose, you understand the mechanics of iterative cleaning.
Speaker 1: Awesome. So our assembly line has perfectly cleaned, validated, and boxed the data. But you know a box sitting on the floor of a warehouse is pretty useless. It has to be shipped right. The sources we explore today mentioned that after an item is fully scraped and processed, it's sent to an item pipeline. This pipeline is a set of components executed sequentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the processor is cleaned the data, but the pipeline is the mechanism that actually deploys it.
Speaker 1: And it raises a really fascinating question to leave you with, what kind of powerful things happen in the pipeline when that pristine data is finally exported.
Speaker 2: That's the big question.
Speaker 1: Does it feed directly into machine learning models to predict market trends. Does it trigger real time algorithmic trading alerts or does it build like massive interconnected business intelligence databases.
Speaker 2: That handoff point from a clean box of data to an actionable system is where the real magic happens.
Speaker 1: And that is the next frontier for you to explore.
Speaker 2: The possibilities are truly endless once you master the refinery.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on this deep dive into the architecture of data gathering. Keep exploring, keep questioning the systems around you, and we'll catch you next time.