Speaker 1: Hey, before we get started, be sure to head over to ham Radio two dot com forward slash email dash sign up to join my email list of over nineteen thousand subscribers, where I like to send emails about upcoming events, upcoming shopping deals, keep you updated with all the stuff going on with my videos. Once that list reaches twenty thousand, I will be doing a giveaway of another HF radio sign up today and thank you for the support. Okay, guys, we're gonna get started. Sorry for the delay. I was tinkering around with some back end stuff and this is going to be a learning experience tonight because as it turns out, I still don't know what I'm doing with this stuff, and we'll see what We'll see what happens. Looks like the volume is good. I'm gonna mute there and I'm just gonna transition it over right there. Good evening, Happy Thanksgiving, Black Friday, holiday weekend. Really cool to see everybody in Josh's live stream last night for the Teacher's Institute telethon. I dropped off about eleven o'clock my time. I think that was about two hours before they ended, and I assumed they met their goal. I didn't go back, and I saw some good positive comments on it today, but I didn't go back and watch the rest of the live stream. It turned out to be like eight hours long. But hey, good, good for you guys. But so that was a that was a fun thing to do. Shout out to those guys for allowing me to join and be part of that group. Okay, let's I've changed some stuff around. Oh right here, how about that one right there? Yeah, how about that one right there there? You guys are what's up?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: These are these are my These are my all star experts. Kyle thinks that I've surpassed him, and I'm like, no, no, if I had, If I had, you wouldn't be here right now. So just trust me on that.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh boy. Okay, So long story short. We have as I think it's ASL one point zero, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Right point one? I think it is one point one.
Speaker 1: Okay. I've had that running on my cloud compute service for about two years, and I know it's two years because let's switch over right here. Okay, you guys should see that. Okay, So right here are the instances on the back end. Of my hosting service. Make that a little bit bigger. And this one right here, this is my sea bridge at the bottom, and this one is my my Debian nine server at the in the middle wind there, and it says it's been running for two years and one month, so it's been it's been there a little while. And then this one I created just now, and I created it with Debian ten. But but I can for whatever reason I've been I've spent the last twenty minutes or so trying to attach. So in order to in order to access these servers via SSH, you have to upload inside of putty what's called an authorization key or a key pair, I think they call it. If you go into putty, shoot, that's not the right thing. If you go into putty and you scroll down the uh, well, I've got it here I can show you. Guys. Let's go over there and let's turn this off be a little bit easier to see. There we go, so we go into putty here, and we go down to SSH down here on the kind of towards the bottom left, and we go into authorization and a private key file for authentication. So you create these private keys on the server and then you download this key five to text file and you store it locally on your hard drive and you browse to it. So you put the path to the file in this little window here, and then you come back up to session. You put your IP address and your port in and you connect to it. And supposedly that keeps people from being able to hack your password or you know, session jack you or something like that, because you have to physically have that key on your computer to log into that SSH session on that IP address. Cool, no problem, And I've got a key for both my c bridge and the old server. But I've been but what I've been tinkering with for the last twenty minutes or so is I can't figure out how to attach the key to the new server. The keys attached to the two older servers I've got, but it's not attached. But I've poked around in here for the last almost half hour trying to figure out how to attach it to the to the new server. I can't figure it out. So and Freddie just now tells me that I should be running WN twelve. The old server is running WN nine. The new server the new server, I'd install W in ten. But we do have an app option for WN ten, eleven, and twelve, a couple of options for a boontu and something else in there. So rather than kind of so I think what we're I think what I want to try to do? Okay, now this is gonna nuke everything I want to And wait, I do have a backup. I do have a backup of the existing server. And what I was gonna do is come in here and turn on this existing server and turn off or actually I was gonna pause the existing server while we while we spun up the new server. But I think what I might do is just create a backup of this existing server. And it's it's these are all virtual servers, so it's a it's an instance on a volume on a virtual server. It's like three layers deep or some grap like that. But but I can create a backup. And then I think, I'm going to try to upgrade this server to WN twelve, which doesn't take very When I install Debian on the other servers it took like three to four minutes. It wouldn't wouldn't very bad at all. And then and then we're going to try to see what what we what we're gonna do with that, but it's gonna nuke everything. And if this fails for whatever reason tonight, then I'm gonna be all Star server is gonna be down for a couple of days. But I'll get with dream host support tomorrow, probably get it up and running tomorrow if this fails tonight. So I don't know. But who's uh, who's with me? Who wants to go break some stuff tonight? What do you guys think?
Speaker 2: I'm with you?
Speaker 4: Man? I put in the zoom chat the instructions for Debian twelve. I've never tried them, but they're from all Star link.
Speaker 1: So is that the link you sent me earlier today?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I just now sent it in the zoom chat. Okay, the instructions early are for deb twelve.
Speaker 2: This is for Debian ten.
Speaker 1: Oh no, So which one's for twelve? Then?
Speaker 2: The one I sent you? Now, there's also if you that same.
Speaker 1: Thing one right now? The one you just sent me looks like it has twelve, eleven and ten on it.
Speaker 2: It does, that's that's their pay. But they eight?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Q up to twelve or to ten? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did it? Did it came down there to ten? Okay? Well, I I'd rather I would rather run the latest version, honestly, so that way it's a little bit more future proof. And you know we we don't we're not gonna have to do an upgrade anytime soon, so long termfully right, exactly exactly. So so let's go in here, and this is my all Star server right now. So you guys are gonna get kicked out here in a minute. If everything goes well tonight, I will invite everyone to connect back to for three one three six. But we'll see how it goes here. And there's the there's the instructions you sent me earlier, Freddy, Oh yep, that's it, right, And then okay, so if so, I'm just gonna I don't know exactly how to do this, so we're just gonna kind of start clicking on things. The best way to do it, the absolute best way to Okay, create snapshot. I think I want to do that because that's a backup. Create snapshot. Let me just put twelve one twenty twenty four. That's what I'm gonna call it, all Star whatever. Okay, create a snapshot so that maybe maybe I can restore it if we really food bar it. But you know, I don't know, Uh you never know the date of the last snapshot, and here was October eighteenth of twenty twenty two. So it's been a while. Yeah, it's been a while. Uh okay, so we've got that. Okay, that's good there, So let's uh, I need to zoom that back out. Let's see what my Okay, if I go over here to images. Okay, so here's the images I have access to. Debbie in ten eleven and twelve, Fedora thirty five, Boontu fourteen oh four, that's really old, eighteen four four, twenty four four.
Speaker 2: I just go straight up with Debian twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what I want to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have instructions for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I and that's probably the best thing to do right now. Is this a Nuggets episode? Jeff says no, but we're gonna try to break something like they do. Arthur says all star harder. That's a good one right there. I say, all right, So let's see. So I'm gonna I'm gonna tinker around here. I'm gonna launch create volume. I don't want to create a volume. I want to upgrade a volume.
Speaker 3: DJ as a you know, I don't know what anything about dream host, But he says, what I would do is create the new server with everything you need before you shut down the old server. That's why that way, whoever is permanently connected to your hub will just jump right over. Is that an option?
Speaker 1: That was the plan. That was the plan. And as I explained a moment ago, I can't figure out how to attach an authorization key to the new server, so I can't SS. So I have the new sewer server up and running with W and ten right now and it's right here, but you just can't. But I can't. I can't s sh inten because I I can't figure out how to connect a key to it. So, yeah, that was that was the original plan, was to do that. But yeah, that's that's so we can we can call this no, that's okay.
Speaker 3: So I was just to fulfill my frank duties there by not listening.
Speaker 1: By not listening and offering up, offering up suggestions that I've already said that you're doing a bang up job. That's a bang up job.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna just sit in the background for a while.
Speaker 2: You guys can just talk amongst yourselves, just talk.
Speaker 1: Gosh, okay, So all right, let me poke around in here, so you guys talk about something while I'm doing this real quick so that I'm not talking and trying to read at the same time.
Speaker 3: Freddie, what's what's your latest All Star video that you got going on? I saw you dead, Like, didn't you do a weather video where you could do some weather plugins.
Speaker 4: I've done a few of those those Skyworn plus videos. Nace Mels, I know words, I know how to speak. Mason Nelson in five lsn over in Arkansas wrote this program originally for Hamboid. I'm sorry for ASL because he had a network of GMRS repeaters in Arkansas, and you know, when this whole GMRS kerfuffle was going on about you know, can you link him over the internet or can you not? He decided, you know, I'm going to be proactive.
Speaker 2: He took his network down threw.
Speaker 4: It back up on seventy centimeters because he was a ham as well. So he's got a network of All Star link repeaters now. So he's like, I need a really good program because Auto Sky was the weather program that came with Hamboid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's what I have. I have Auto Sky on mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, he wanted to make it more robust, and he keeps doing that.
Speaker 2: Bless his wife.
Speaker 4: She sat and recorded every freaking phrase that is spoken by a female on that entire program, including over one hundred and seventy some model alerts. You know, the different types of alerts from the National Weather Service.
Speaker 3: March. You're not saying it right.
Speaker 4: I can just imagine what those discussions were like, Oh jeez, but he made it robust.
Speaker 2: You can even narrow it down.
Speaker 4: Let's say you want to be alerted for like three different counties. You can narrow you can drill it down to that. You can add and delete what kind of alert you want to get.
Speaker 2: You can make it do execute script files.
Speaker 4: If a certain National Weather Service an alert comes down for like a tornado warning, I set one up so like three of our local repeaters would I'll hook up and connect for the duration and when the when the alert is cleared, that same script file clears them all in disconnect all the all the repeaters. It's just one little thing that that they can It's it's full, full, full of features.
Speaker 3: And what is that called again?
Speaker 4: Sky worn plus. He has a GitHub page if you will look up Mason Nelson sky worn.
Speaker 3: Plus okay, very good. I'm gonna have to take a look man.
Speaker 4: As gee whiz, he's he's so stinking smart.
Speaker 2: But one of my latest I've been working on.
Speaker 4: Of course, I just got you know, hanvoy paths, the what we call the time and weather top of the hour. It would save the time and give the weather conditions, the temperature and the weather conditions. Well that didn't come stock in ASL three. We could set it up real quick to do just the time. And they were trying to get all the little bugs worked out, you know when they released it, because they were having some small issues with Shari pies and they got all that straightened out, and I mean just a ton of little things, tweaks, improvements.
Speaker 3: All kinds of.
Speaker 4: So I spent about two solid days because I don't know script files that well, but I you know, between me chat GPT and a coworker who is a Linux genius, Joe Urban, You're you're, you're the greatest dude. I mean, this guy is so smart with arch Lenox and Debian twelve. I got everything converted over from arch Lenox to Debian twelve and I had it saying the time, had it given the temperature, but it wouldn't give the weather conditions. And uh, it was just a matter of installing Basic Calculator, a little app and changing the symbolic links between locate and a new program called p locate, and then boom, the whole thing took off. And it's a little difficult to install, but I have since created a script file to make that a lot easier. And that's a coming up video pretty quick. So try to ease the process for the installation way.
Speaker 2: If you've got a.
Speaker 4: SL three and you want your time in weather announcement's back, it's coming.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be now.
Speaker 4: It's just it's a little entailed, right, a lot of typing.
Speaker 3: Man, I am looking at this skyworn plus. Holy moly.
Speaker 1: Yeah told you.
Speaker 4: You can do alerts to your cell phone if you want. There's a little app tie in for an API called pushover.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I actually knew a developer that was developing on pushover, but he is since quit. But yeah, I know, I know pushover.
Speaker 4: Over and he's got that where you can create some of custom alerts if you want to some custom i'm sorry station IDs through some an API, through a virtual text of speech service.
Speaker 2: It's for free if you do less than so many.
Speaker 4: I think it's like one hundred and thirty words a day or three hundred and thirty words or something like that.
Speaker 2: But he's got it set up.
Speaker 4: If say, a tornado warning or tornado watch is issued for your area, and you can set it up to type in a DTMF code and it will take that whole warning and convert it over to speech and play it so that it's playing.
Speaker 2: Over your note. Yeah, I have a local repeat or something like that.
Speaker 4: You would only want to play it once because it's full of text and know there's a lot of words going out over the air. But it's just it's one of the many, many little twerks and options that he puts in there because he whiz. Every time he's somebody will put up something new on his GitHub and like, hey, can you make it do this?
Speaker 2: And if he can't, he can sure enough get close to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a skyworn You know, I'm sure that people out there, I haven't been looking at the chat, but I'm sure that people out there that have really good skyworn communities, you know, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, a lot of them are a lot better than some of the communities in Missouri. The only ones that I'm familiar with are the ones here in Saint Louis, and they have basically whenever a tornado warning or thunderstorm warning gets published, the repeater keys up and all it does is just it it hears the tones, and it just it just broadcasts the information from the National Weather Service, and that's it. That is the only thing it does, you know. And so if you're not on the repeater, you have no idea, like you know, you just get on. Let's say you just got into your car, turn on the repeater, you have no idea, like you know that there might be a warning out there. But also there is no automation on the back end to like link repeaters and and do some other stuff that I'm seeing here. Whenever, like you know, sky warn or whenever you know, you've got this program enabled and.
Speaker 4: He didn't make that, you can set it up. So if you get an alert, if you designated a set amount of alerts or or National Weather Service or alerts or watches or what have you, it will change your courtesy tone. So if you do key up on the right, your courtesy tone is different. You're like, hey, something's going on. And then it will throw it in every I don't know, every three to five minutes. It'll throw a tail message in at the end of the transmission saying tornado warning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: If you designate the county, it will spout the county name as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So iman, you get a little que if you just get in the car and everything is already fired out and you don't know what's going on. You key up on that repeater and you've got a different courtesy tone. It's you're cue to know something's up. After a while, you get that tail message, which really helps super But yeah, sky warn Plus is a really good addition.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 4: I love Otto's Guy. I really did, because it was it was a very basic form of that. You got your alerts and you'd get you had to set up your tail messages a little more difficult, but you could do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my uh my uh not node my weather radio went out and I didn't know, And I just keep my my All Star radio on all the time, and I just have my IDs muted during from like ten pm until seven am, but I have the auto sky alert me and I hear the the Beaufong go off and I know that you know there's there's a warning or or you know, a a U not a warning? A what is the one before a watch?
Speaker 1: Geez tornado? Watch? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thanks? So it's been a long four days. I think I'm still jacked up on turkey?
Speaker 1: Still you should I still or whatever? Yeah? Oh goodness, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My wife had surgery a week and a half ago and she's got a long recovery ahead of her. But she's feeling better. So now it's just like I'm babysitting to keep.
Speaker 2: Her from hurting herself.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, just like constantly trying to keep make sure not gonna get over confident.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just it's a lot.
Speaker 4: But you know what she's worth that she put up with me for this many years. It's all worth it, all good.
Speaker 1: Huh gosh, all right, moment of truth.
Speaker 3: How's your stuff coming there? Jason?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I think we got it. Refused our key no supported authentication methods.
Speaker 5: Okay, hold on medication methods okay.
Speaker 1: I was able to recreate a new server, so I knew the new server that I just created. I was able to create a new server with de Wian twelve and it let me attach a key this time. I think it's something I just missed the first time. So it's telling me that I have a key attached and let me h hold on. Oh gosh, stop that stupid Windows search.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Windows finds new ways to.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, here.
Speaker 3: Well Jason's doing that, Freddy, What are what are some other cool plugins that I don't know about in all Star that I need to Are.
Speaker 4: You familiar with DV switch Oh yeah, I on mine a little bit.
Speaker 3: I saw many many moons ago. I saw a YouTube video of where some guy installed DV switch and it was a pain in the butt. But I'm assuming that you're gonna tell me that it's gotten better.
Speaker 4: Well, in a lot of ways it has. Now there's two different kinds. They're both from the same folks. You got dv switch Server and you got dv switch Mobile. Okay, so dv switch Mobile is just an a happy on an Android device. Can't put it on an Apple device yet.
Speaker 2: I hope you can, subdey. You never can tell.
Speaker 4: But all that is doing is doing an IAX phone connection, if you will, over the internet says into your all Star node, into your all Star node, so that you're using it half duplex PTT just like you are a radio and it's super super handy. But dvswitch Server is installed on your all Star node alongside of your all Star Link installation, and you can configure it to I can initially configured it to take my Brandmeister Talk group or now my TGIF talk group on DMR and links it to my all Star Link connection. You put in a private node and you just connect them to one another after it's configured. So if you're talking on DMR, it's bridging right over to ASL, yeah, and vice versa, and it has its uses. But that same hand, you can throw in a command line and switch it over to a different You can switch it over to YSF.
Speaker 2: And then change.
Speaker 4: The room if you will or what have you, and next thing you know, you're in like the toad server for their YSF.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, does it do it? Does wires X rooms too?
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure how it coincides with wires X because wires X and YSF are two different things and they but they bridge certain YSF top groups, so I'm sure it can be done there.
Speaker 1: I haven't ventured often. You have to do that manually that's what I was thinking. Yeah, you have to do that. Yeah, So wires X is the network owned by Jesu, and then YSF and FCS reflectors are basically what you use when you're on pie Star or open spot or whatever. And in order to get one of those connections, reflectors bridge to an actual wires X room, you and I have to do it. Somebody's done it on the back end, right, so it's not vanilla inside of size of jesus X.
Speaker 3: So somebody's got to run wires X and their home and pipe it to a like pipe it to a an FtM four hundred and then it connects to the hot spot that is connected to the YSF server right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 4: Little bit, but you know that's a little clue gi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it kind of is what it is.
Speaker 4: You know, there's your there's your RF link exactly exactly now, and dv switch server will also do uh okay, I want to say nxd N if I'm not mistaken, and d star, but I'm not sure it does d star very well at all without those a MBE modules. Oh yeah, you have to plug against like actual hardware.
Speaker 2: They're a little pricey.
Speaker 4: But from what I've told those folks who like D Star that it's worth it.
Speaker 2: D Star makes me angry. I don't know why.
Speaker 4: It's a lot, it's a lot to configure, but it is.
Speaker 2: It is really good.
Speaker 4: I mean, this sound is good, but it's it's just it's a lot YSF. You're going DMR, you get your ID, you're going, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep is what it is.
Speaker 3: But but none of them compare to the warmness of the All Star, where it sounds clear and crisp. And that's one thing that I just did not like about all of those digital modes, where they sounded very digital, digitally.
Speaker 4: Very digital, and if your signal degra date degrades at all, it really gets humble and you can't you can't understand anything. Yeah, analog, you know, if your signal gets a little weak, you get a little static, and you can.
Speaker 2: Still make most of it out. Yeah yeah, And I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: And I don't mean to disrespect anyone at EchoLink, I don't, but dad gum it, it was just so the quality was just so low. Yeah yeah, yeah, the audio quality and the way looked up.
Speaker 2: It was just it was it really really.
Speaker 3: Was Jeff Fast. Does it bridge TOM seventeen?
Speaker 4: Not yet, but I would bet you a dime to a donut hole that the guys at dB switch or very taking a hard look at that, because you can bridge to it or connect to it through pie Stars if you got the you know, the right equipment excuse me, the right radio, I should say, But I don't know why they wouldn't. But you know, it's like an open source project, like a lot of stuff for ham Ray, So I'm sure it'll take.
Speaker 2: It a while.
Speaker 4: But I don't know of anything that exists yet that'll bridge to M seventeen.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so, not yet.
Speaker 2: See if I can bring my.
Speaker 4: Tbe switch has a page a dashboard that looks a lot like pie Stars because it's created from Andy Taylor's template.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, that's something I always wanted to add to my server, but I have not. I didn't get around to it before we decided to upgrade it. I wasn't going to add it to the old server.
Speaker 3: At some point, you have to have like some type of flow chart or some connection list on you know what is bridging to what? And I'm sure that in the matrix thereof digital modes.
Speaker 4: Somebody has created a loop, you know, well they you know, they've created parts of pie star there where you can where they can bridge YSF to DMR and vice versa. So we have a DMR radio and you want to talk on YSF, you can do that through your pie star. So you know, I don't know why they wouldn't do it otherwise. Okay, right, there is my DV switch dashboard. You can see it looks very pi star.
Speaker 3: S oh yeah, looks exactly there, very very familiar.
Speaker 4: Down at the bottom, you got a row of modes halfway DMR, YSF, nxdn P and d star and that lets you know if your modes are enabled. And then the rest of them are the same items, but their networks and it's they are in the.
Speaker 2: Green so they're connected to that network.
Speaker 4: But the one that mine is focused on right now is actually t G I F, but it's not showing it as the master.
Speaker 2: I must have misconfigured that.
Speaker 4: I had a I had a brown out or something at the house not too long ago, and my SD card cratered. Yeah, so yeah, and I was just like, well it worked, but it didn't work a lot of stuff got erased.
Speaker 2: A lot of stuff was still there.
Speaker 1: Well, I pull out my.
Speaker 4: Backup off the cloud, rewrite it.
Speaker 2: It don't work either. This is me.
Speaker 4: I got to be able to back up my stuff. Which that's one of my latest videos that just came out last week is uh it's called can you Back that Up?
Speaker 6: But it's exactly because I was like gosh, But ASL three has a built in menu for backing up the core settings of your node at least, and you can expand that to back up a lot of your config files for your different modules, TV switch all, yeah, Skyworm plus YadA yatta.
Speaker 4: But they will also give you two megabytes of cloud space if you want to take your basic config and back it up to the cloud and then you can pull it down later.
Speaker 2: If your node goes down, you can just pull it down.
Speaker 4: All you do is log in with that node number and that node numbers password. You can pull it back down, It rewrites, it restarts the node.
Speaker 2: You're back in business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the very basics, I took and went beyond that and backed up all my config files from my other modules. Stink and file was twenty megabytes, so I backed it up to my Google drive so I'd have extra cloud copies and be able to jump back into it again.
Speaker 3: But you know, having a backup doesn't mean jack squatt, that's for sure. You have to execute the process of restoring to make sure that that backup is good.
Speaker 4: Right exactly. And I'll tell you what it's You've got to be diligent.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 3: I think the ARL got a quick ah a spanking in that. Whenever you know they had the ransomware, they thought they had backups and they didn't.
Speaker 4: Man that you had to be a tough hit right there. Yeah, since no go ahead?
Speaker 2: Did you have something to say.
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Anybody a bit buelerler.
Speaker 2: Since I retired, I went back to work two days a.
Speaker 4: Week doing it work for our county jail and my boss, the systems add man, he got super smart, way younger than I am. But we got to talking about ransomware and cybersecurity, and the word on the street is it's supposed to be it's supposed to increase tenfold in the next year and a half.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: What accused that, other than a lot of the bigger corporations are paying the ransom because they don't have off site unaffected backups.
Speaker 3: We have at work. I work for healthcare in the healthcare industry. We employ about thirty four thousand people in the Saint Louis area, and our cybersecurity people that team on our IS department. We've got an IS department about a thousand people, and that thing has grown from a couple of people. I think that there are now close to fifty or sixty people on that team. And they have this they we call them, we call it the monkey cage, and it's it's in the you know, we all kind of worked from home and then some some people went back to the office, but in the monkey cage is where they do all the monitoring, and they've got the big screens, you know, and they're shit. They're looking at all the the the DEDOS attacks and you know, all the things that are coming in. But anyway, to your point, they have locked down every single computer in the corporation where not only can you not put any uh USB port our devices in right, so it has to be a recognized device with a signature and blah blah blah that that you know that is is on their list. But they have now restricted you cannot get to only only basically healthcare related sites you can get to on the internet. I can't get to my Gmail anymore. I can't pull off anything from drive, from Dropbox, and I work in a part where we're pulling AutoCAD files down from vendors, you know, from our contractors, our architects, our engineers, and we can't get to them. So it's like this huge thing where we have to they have to put it on a server that is that someone. Once someone goes and gets that file, it gets on a watch list, so then nobody behind them can can get to that file. So what will happen is like we'll be on a call and somebody will say, hey, Sean, go get that file and then distribute it to everyone else because after Sean gets that file, no one else can go get the file because the proxy server that does our web you know, not translation, but our our proxy of the web shuts it down automatically. So it is it has now become a problem on doing our job on a daily basis. But you call them and they're just like, go pound sand, we don't care, you know, when you're like okay, whatever, yeah, yeah, exactly, you can't you can't budge them it's like I have to pull this down from my job, and they're just like, say what what, I can't hear you, you know, goodbye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we're we're trying to do more and more of that. Our systems admin is really beefed up our security and trying to separate some things. As everything was on a kind of a peer to peer kind of a thing. But now that he's really tightening it down, you can't even like you said, you can't put a USB drive or a flash drive in a computer if it's not encrypted and make it work, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's how that's how we So if you want to share something via USB, you have to go to the I department and get in a up to drive because you know, they're worried about you downloading something from our patient records department, right and and then getting out to the internet, you know exactly, which I understand.
Speaker 2: It's due diligence.
Speaker 4: It's all diligence. You're just trying to create or prevent a problem.
Speaker 3: And and I understand there's a fine line, right, but it's it's it's always like the one thing that you want to do to do your job, you know, and you're like, Okay, I'm going to take two hours and I'm going to do this. I'm going to look over these plans. I'm going to go download the plants right now, and then that one thing that you want to do is always above, right right above the threshold.
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, never stinking fails. Yeah, and we deal.
Speaker 4: We deal with a lot of grants are the jail does, and we have to communicate with the FBI a lot because we hold a lot of federal inmates. Well, I don't know, about eight months ago, we got around of those fishy emails. It's like, hey, your paycheck hours have been changed or whatever, so click the link and you get a virus. And what it did was email something right back out on your contacts list, and one of them went to the FBI. So cleared everything up, got all that taken care of.
Speaker 2: Fast forward to.
Speaker 4: Now we're trying to get emails in from the Feds so that we could finish.
Speaker 2: A grant and they won't come through it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're like, hey, we're you know, we did all this back end work, and our our boss did outstanding work and figured out, hey, it wasn't us on our end anyway.
Speaker 2: But that email all those months.
Speaker 4: Ago put us on a blacklist in their server, and they finally found it and cleared it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a huge inconvenience.
Speaker 2: But today's world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand. I mean it's always going to be an inconvenience, but finding that line on being able to get things done but also being secure. You know, those those guys have a tough job. I understand.
Speaker 4: It's but you know, for us is finally getting a little bit better now that we're really tightening things down, because we're having what we call grass fires. You know, you go out and put all these little grass fires.
Speaker 2: My printer won't print or my computer won't come on.
Speaker 4: It's more trivial stuff than anything now, But it's I don't know, we're able to track network activity closer now, so we know who's using all the bandwidth and we get to go yeah yeah, or that problem a lot quicker than we used to used to be able to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, in my job, whenever you've got thirty five thousand users, you know, and you've got twenty two thousand computers, you know, and a couple of you know, I'm sure that we've probably got you know, I bet you we've got fifteen hundred or two thousand switches, you know, yeah, just go ninety four to ten switches that are fully populated. You know, each one of those switches is about sixty grand Oh my god, you've got thousands of them. You know, routers, you know, firewalls, proxy servers, you know, VPN concentrators. You know. Yeah, it is a hard job, I understand, you know.
Speaker 4: And he's got us up to a point now where we can log into other computers securely without well we can do it without to meet them even knowing now where you know, we were using like team view or something like that, and then we went to a geez whatever was built into Windows that was huge inconvenience. You had to partyp the code I think it was. I think it was yeah, rdy P. Nonetheless, he's got it lockdown now where we're you know, they're working through dolls shells or I.
Speaker 2: Call them dolls shells. I don't know if they're still called dolls.
Speaker 4: Shells, PowerShell, PowerShell, Yeah, and can get right into a computer. And he's teaching us how to remote in. And one of my co workers is like, okay, I'm going to remote into uh one of these computers where the deos normally sit and brings up their screen and they're watching Netflix.
Speaker 1: Like busted. No, not so much, not so much, no more.
Speaker 4: It's like, come on, guys, help us out, help us help you well.
Speaker 3: And then also to make things even worse is not only do we have this big, huge, robust network that we're trying to keep secure, but then we have I mean it's not that big of a deal, but we have a guest wireless right so whenever you come into the hospital and your your wife just had a baby, you want to make sure that you get all those baby pictures on all the social media servers. So not only do you have to like, you know, be secure on your private network, but you have to be somewhat you know, restrictive on your guest network that anybody can connect to as long as they've got a connected that you know, can you know say oh yeah, I'm not going to do anything illegal, you know, sure, click, Okay.
Speaker 4: It was at a hospital, right, yeah, when my wife had the surgery the other day, you know, years gone by Wi fi free wi Fi in the hospitals.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a murder. It was just a nightmare. It was slow. You don't tell anything. Yeah, it's just it's horrible.
Speaker 4: But and I got a shout out to uh St Francis Health System in tuls Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: They they got it worked out. I could.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a few things that I couldn't get to and it was probably more closer to work stuff. But you know, you get to Facebook, you can get the Twitter or whatever, and well more importantly for me, YouTube, I was able to access YouTube on a hospital network.
Speaker 2: I was just elated.
Speaker 4: It passed time away, but yeah, they got.
Speaker 1: It going on.
Speaker 2: Finally they got it. They got a little speed to it.
Speaker 4: It wasn't super, it wasn't perfect, but it's way better than it's been in the past years.
Speaker 3: Good and not heaven, Yeah, that we have a problem with speed. After about six pm, people go and you know, visit their loved ones and then the so in every hospital we have two ten gig links that you know go back to corporate right into our data center and then I believe into every single hospital where there are wireless controllers that you know, have all of the guest wireless that is v land off and then that goes you know, back to corporate and then goes out the big pipe. I think it's I think it's fifty gigabit that goes out just for just for guest wireless. Okay, so there's sixteen hospitals. It all gets piped to one of our data centers fifty gig out. But we still have boundwidth issues because there are you know, at any one time, there's like twenty thousand people fifteen to twenty thousand people connected to the guest wireless, so you know including you know, whenever I walk into the hospital, I don't have a a work issued phone, so I get on the guest wireless with my personal phone here, right, So you know, you think all those employees that are working, plus all of the people that are in there visiting loved ones and all the patients, they all have a connected device. You know, it's just a lot of devices.
Speaker 4: And they're all streaming video, yeah, right right, and they're all getting on Netflix at seven pm.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are trying to watch you know, the Tyson fight and uh.
Speaker 4: You know, Mike Tyson's fifty eight years old and he's still faster Netflix's servers.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, man, talk about talk about the buffering Circle of Death on Saturday.
Speaker 1: I was so mad.
Speaker 4: Finally get to the fight and yeah and it FROs.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, this is this is my life. This is what it is. Yeah, circle of death.
Speaker 1: Dude, all right, so this is uh, this is not this is not working. So there's there's not a way in here that I've found to upgrade a current instance. I wonder if I could do it that way. So I deleted and recreated the instance twice, no, two or three times with WAN twelve, spun up a whole new instance a WAN twelve with the authentication key, and I keep getting there that the that the server is refusing my authentication key. I created a brand new authentication key. I tried to use my old one, which I'm using my old one on the old server works fine. I'm logged into the old server right now via putty ssh and so I use that same key. I use that same key to log into my c Bridge server works fine. So I tried to use that same key, I get the authentication error. I created a brand new key on dream host. They I have instructions from their help pages, and uh, try to do that same error. So I emailed them just now and said this doesn't work anymore. Uh but yeah it's not. Uhh, I don't know what's what's We've tried this more than one time, Freddy.
Speaker 4: Well, your your backup server on my cloud is still going.
Speaker 1: Oh is it really okay? Well I left it up.
Speaker 4: I left it up just in case something, just in case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's fine. I mean the the the original server that's been running for a long time is still running. I mean it's it's right here, so right now, several people connected to it since we started this evening. So yeah, it's it's definitely still running. But uh, I don't know, man, Yeah, this has been this is uh, this is check s s H key for your user, for my user. I don't think that that.
Speaker 3: Randy just put something on the.
Speaker 1: Chat log in with user name password. Okay, So I can't log in at all, So I can't run any SSH commands because I can't access it via s s H. So that's out. The problem is I can't log in, so I can't log in and run any commands to check my key.
Speaker 4: There's a service offer you a like a web.
Speaker 1: Time does Yeah, I do have that. Let's see. Yeah, I try that it's going to give me the same error. I'm pretty sure, but let's try let's let's try this and see. Yeah, there's a web console here right there. Okay, and ask me for a password. Well, I don't know what the password is because it tells me that they don't. They don't. Let me just try Debian for the assword. Also, no, see, I don't know what the the default login is for it. That's the problem.
Speaker 2: Your dream host passport.
Speaker 4: Nope, I don't know dream host that well, yeah, idiosyncrasies.
Speaker 1: But right, yeah, let's see.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: In addition to my my all Star link hub server which is running on that a commy Linode cloud server, I added an instance the other day and did a y reflector.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah really nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because I got my y reflector linked to a dv switch standalone server which bridges y SF to my DMR talk group, and then when they go across over to DMR comes over my all.
Speaker 2: Star link note. So it's kind of a triple threat. It's just, you know, it's kind of gimmicky.
Speaker 4: But if somebody's a DMR user and they want to talk to me on all Star, they can, you know, it sure might do a.
Speaker 2: Lot of but it's there, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: But in our state wide DMR group, their DMR Society are all of our repeaters are linked over Arden and we use them a lot for sky warns, you know, state wide sky warn but you know the other talk groups are there as well, statewide, nationwide things like that, and they work really really well.
Speaker 1: Uh Randy, leaving the password blank is the first thing I tried. I've tried that two or three times, just leaving uh just pressing enter instead of entering a pass. Yes, my firewalls opened for my home IPJ That that was a hurdle I jumped to earlier. No problem, there is that an all star image. No, that's this is Debian twelve is what this is.
Speaker 4: You just download it through w get to install it that way, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: I've got an instance running at home on a PC. I took an ol Lenovo one of those mini PCs and put DEB twelve on it, and I've got an ASL node ASL three node running off of it right now that I'm just kind of tinkering with. I kind of use it for a sandbox.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, good.
Speaker 4: That's not a bunch of new scripts with oh, I have a GitHub page.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It's nothing like the fancy people who actually know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: But I'm developing some scripts.
Speaker 4: I've developing one so if you've got a new instance of an all Star link three on a pile or even a PC, this one script will install skyworn plus all scan.
Speaker 2: See Superman.
Speaker 4: And there's one other dead gimmick. But if you go to gethub dot com slash ktfive FMU, you'll see my GitHub page. Nice, I tell you what this is really coming in handy because you know, I knew I was getting a lot of the apps installed through GitHub commands, you know, w get through GitHub, and it made it a lot easier where I was taking my scripts and transferring them over on an s FTP stas through like win SCP or file Zilla something like that, and just doing it by command line ten times faster, way easier. And I get to share it with everybody as much as possible. And I've got people chiming in and say, hey, you need to do a little tweak here or do a little tweak there and make it right, and it's perfect.
Speaker 1: It is a fresh install of Debian fresh install of Debian twelve. The username is Debian it is a uh, it is a dream host server, a virtual private server with Wan twelve installed.
Speaker 2: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: I don't know, just quick Google. It didn't ask you for the password for root whenever you are creating the server.
Speaker 1: No, because you don't log into it with root. Do you log into it with the username of Debian, which has super user access. You just have SU and you can set your super user password once you log inage as the default user, which is Debian.
Speaker 4: Okay, they've got their image set up that way.
Speaker 1: Kind of yeah, so these are good. These are good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Don Yes, it uses sh key pairs. That's what I've been tinkering with for the last thirty to forty five minutes. You guys, are you guys? All of the these ideas in the chat are good ideas, but the stuff I've either already done or it doesn't apply to this specific virtual server, or at least everything I've read so far. Yep, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna slay this dragon, Freddy. We are we might we not might not do it tonight, but we're gonna get this done. I'm telling you right now, it's personal. Now, it is personal now. I mean, the thing is pretty much every time I've been into this dream hope, this dream compute virtual private server. Once I figure out what to do, I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, so I'm in here now, and then I don't log into it again for like twelve to eighteen months, and I'm like, I don't remember what the hell I did last time I was in here. I was like, you know, So it's just it's not something you use every day exactly, and that's the problem. That's problem. It's not something you use every day, so I can't remember where stuff is. And they've got weird, weird names like they've had. They have images, volumes and instances. Well, to me, a volume and an instance is the same thing, I would think, so, or an instance in a partition is the same thing. So so you can add instances to your volume, and I guess you can add more than one. I don't know, but it's I don't know. It's it's very it's some of the terminology can be like ambiguous, and you've got to learn their language as yeah, yeah, that's right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Which you know what I tell you what I do every time I make a video or every time I learn something new from someone else, which that's ninety percent of my journey. I've got a ton of notes in Google Drive. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, and I share that folder with two or three others because number one I need backups and number two yeah, may have a better way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm constantly taking notes, especially especially with my drive.
Speaker 2: My whole no ode crash the other day.
Speaker 4: It was like, no, ouch, how do I do this again?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, notes, looking up notes, but keeps you sharp.
Speaker 1: Right, true? Yeah, true? True? So all right, well, I've tried it with both authentication keys. I've tried creating a new authentication key and uh hold on, keep pairs using my default authentication key, which I have right here on this computer and works for my old instance and where this this old server is still running there, it is right there.
Speaker 4: And you've got an s s H key that works on your on your ASL server and your uh your DMR server right.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I yeah, I added the same key. So you use putty gen to create a well, no, you download a key and a dot p em file from dream host, and you put that key into putty gen and putty gen updates it to a PPK file. Okay, and then you load that PPK file into regular putty and put in your IP and port ports twenty two like it normally is, put in the static IP in the port twenty two, and you click connect and it brings up the log in window and you type Debian hit enter and it should log you in. Yeah, I mean, that's that's what it does with if I want to do let's see I can, I can. I can show you exactly what I'm talking about, and we will go here where is corrent there?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So this is my Putty window here, and this is my current one that I've had loaded for a long time, and down here under authentication, I have this key added to the server path right here, right, so I'll go here open now can you guys see that? You guys can't see that?
Speaker 2: Can you.
Speaker 3: Putty?
Speaker 1: Okay? Right there? All right? Now I go Debian boom, I'm logged in, no password and it says right there, Debian nine nine out two is what this is. So this is the current server that the ASL one dot one has been running on for the last two years. So I try to repeat those steps with the new server running Debian twelve. And there's obviously been some changes of some sort something.
Speaker 4: Ongan's not linking those s shps, right, Yeah, it seems like it.
Speaker 1: It seems like for whatever, because I go to their help pages, and their help pages was updated in March of this year, according to the notes at the bottom. So even though I've I used this process two years ago for this server, the notes on the page say it's still active as of March of this year. So and it's saying the same thing. It says, go here, It's exactly what I just told you. Go to the dream host, create new keypair, download that as a PEM file, load it into Putty. Gin change this parameter, which I did. I did it twice to make sure I didn't foo bar it. Change this parameter, hit save as a PPK file, Load that PPK file into Putty, put in your IP address, and hit enter, and you should get to where you're seeing on the screen right now. I did that twice with two different keys, and same error both times. And it says down at the bottom of that help page. If you get this error, it means you chose the wrong parameter. You're supposed to go in and choose level two instead of level three. At the falls to level three, I think. So I'm like, okay, I chose level two the first time, but let me do it again. So I did it twice, chose level two both times, same error, and they say, no, that era means you chose level three. No I didn't. So yeah, so that's the email I just sent them a minute ago.
Speaker 2: That's their snafoo.
Speaker 4: Sounds like to me, h, yeah, it might be.
Speaker 1: It might be something I'm missing. I mean, I'm perfectly willing to admit that, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, if their instructions aren't updated in the right something correct.
Speaker 3: See what Jody put in the chat there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe attach your public key while the cloud server is powered down. Maybe it doesn't take effect of the servers running.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: No, so okay, So what I did was I deleted the instance completely. I did this like three or four times. I deleted the instance completely and created a new W and twelve instance. And when you go through the steps to create the instance, adding the key pair to that instance before it's even created as part of the process. So I tried that at least three times, once once with an old key, once with the new key, once with the rebuilt new key, and same error every time. So yes, good, good call, Jody. But I'm not adding it while it's running. I'm adding it before it's being well, I'm telling it how to build it because it lets you choose the volume size, It lets you choose the ram, It lets you choose which which serve which vp I've got a choice of like six or seven VPSs which to put it on, and you know whatever, I just kind of pick one.
Speaker 4: But oh, Steven Johnson put up he put up a good comment there. The primary difference in the ssh key formats between W nine and twelve lies in the supported algorithms. Maybe in twelve has dropped support for some older algorithms in favor of more secure and modern ones.
Speaker 2: That's a possibility, right there.
Speaker 4: I have don't have a lot of experience with generating SSH keys.
Speaker 2: I always have to go for.
Speaker 1: Help with that, right yeah, same here. Yeah, and I remember it because I've done it several times on this but again it's always one to two years in between each time I do.
Speaker 2: It, so exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it is on the back end.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's where my money is at right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, people do they.
Speaker 3: How fast do they usually get back to you.
Speaker 1: It'll be the the cloud server supports only during the week, so it'll be the more gotcha. It won't be today, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: But you have broken the Internet.
Speaker 1: I guess. Yeah, Well, swing and miss strike two for the ASO three upgrade. But you know what I don't. I had a guy that was gonna come on next week, and I don't think he's gonna be able to make it, so we have to push him off a couple weeks. So fingers crossed, let me do some research on this. This week, I'm gonna get with dream dream host support. Dream host support is actually quite good. They're you're not gonna get real time support with them, but when you email them, their replies are very accurate and hopeful nine percent of the time. So I've had some good responses from them in the past when I've had questions. So and then once they reply that first time, they said, we'll try this, try this, and I tried this, here's what I get. And you send a reply back. They'll usually reply back to you pretty quickly, like same day, an hour or two something like that. So it might take him a day to get to the first reply, but once you start the communication with them. They're they're pretty quick on that.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. I'd imagine, yeah, far out. Well, like you said, we're going to slay this dragon, We're going to slay the dragon.
Speaker 1: Brian. Brian's asking, are you sure the Putty setup you're using has this right username to match the s s H certificate. Uh, well, you never put a username into the Putty setup, So I'm not sure. I understand where you're talking about. But I put.
Speaker 2: An endo says into Putty.
Speaker 4: But I'm not using s s H case because I'm using oddball ports.
Speaker 1: But let's see, let's pull up Putty again. I want to look and see if there's a username.
Speaker 4: Uh well, let me think about that a second now.
Speaker 1: So if you if you have, let me pull this up here. All right, let me go this one. Okay, I'm gonna turn that off. Okay, how's that. That's a little bit better. So on this window right here, you have session, which is your host name or IP address in port twenty two, which is default choosing SSH. These are my saved sessions here, So I don't have a thing for you. Where you talking about for.
Speaker 4: Username, I'm not I'm wrong because I always put the user name in passport in once the connection is established, right, I mean that's the problem. That's where you do it now unless you have SSH keys and then bone you'll past that straight to right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there might be a way to set a default user name in here, but I'm not. I'm not even setting that because I'm having to type the user name in when when I come up.
Speaker 4: So makes sense. I switch back and forth between Windows and Mac so much. I'm getting my my SSH clients messed up because my oh Mac is I save the usual name of the passwords and that and just double click on it and I'm.
Speaker 1: In, oh yeah, yeah. So then yeah, well, Jason doing this live is courageous. Not really, I screw up all the time. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: M but I logged in earlier today and I got the I got the lug because the last time we couldn't get the password reset to work, so I couldn't even log into the back end of dream host, or well, I couldn't log into the back end VPS side of dream host. But so I hit up Kyle and so I logged in this morning. I was able to create a new instance. I did de wi and ten set of twelve, which I've now corrected. But uh. And then I hit up Kyle and Freddie and I'm like, hey, let's do this tonight. And they're both like, okay, thanks guys for being so uh so, uh respond it to a short term uh request like that, but if you're both available next Sunday, let's try this again next Sunday, because uh, because I will get this. I already sent an email to to dream host support, and like I said, they won't password equals pickle whiskey. That's fine, No, it's j ktie two rp X. That's funny, that's awesome. But uh yeah, so we'll hopefully I'll get a reply from them tomorrow. And and it's it's gonna be something stupid. It's gonna be something stupid. They're like, oh, you didn't check this box, crap whatever, And I go in there and it works, it's gonna Usually usually it's something like that. Usually it's something that like I missed or I read wrong or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know my life man storyline. Oh yeah, way.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Anyway, y'all were talking about setting up all star nodes earlier. I was digging through. So I was cleaning out a couple of boxes. Last Oh, well, I was looking for some Raspberry Pie stuff because I'm gonna be building a a cyber deck lot, which is just which is just a fancy new term for a freaking computer that has a big hard drive with a bunch of stuff on it so you don't have to connect through the internet. I mean, it's just yeah, it's some kind of a gnass. You're gonna You're gonna build a nass. Yeah, yeah, something like that or less. But uh, but I want to do it with seventy three Linux with a c k's image because it's got it's got all of the uh, it's got all of the things on it. And so I was digging through because I know I got a Raspberry Pie for somewhere and and I think that's the pie that I'm actually running in my truck right now for my for my mole all Star node. So I was poking around digging. I've got a bag with a bunch of Raspberry Pie stuff, and I got three pie three b boards that I've never opened, some cases and whatnot. So I was poking around in there and I found my second Remalenko device, which I knew I had one. So because of Remalenko device. You know what that is, Freddy?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because Max tracks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. So there's a radio right there you can't see right now. That's the uh the a Linko two twenty mono band that's got a Remalenko device on it. And when I bought that Remalenko device, I bought two of them, so I bought a set. So I got a Secon one brand new. It has never been hooked up before, and I found it the other day. I'm like, ah, yes, now I can use that because I have a Now let me ask you that guys that uh wait a minute, No, that was for something else. Well, let me ask you this anyway. Uh you know this stuff confused. Have either of you ever built an eyegate?
Speaker 3: Yes, one at my house? Yeah, I have. I've got one in my house too.
Speaker 1: What radio are you using?
Speaker 4: Oh geez, I have to get the model. But it's a YESU monobander.
Speaker 3: I run mine on a ty T.
Speaker 1: The ninety oh the nine thousand. Yeah, yeah, okay, that's what is. So I got a I picked up like a year ago. In fact, it was at the ardmore ham Fist Freddy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there.
Speaker 1: I picked up a cherry looking almost brand new uh the d R one thirty five, the two meter mono band ALNKO yes radio, and I thought I want to put that. I want to put an ee gate in the truck. Oh yeah. I've been wanting to put an iGATE in my truck for a couple of years now. I talked to a c K about it and he's like, you mean a digipeter. I'm like, no, an I gate. He's like, you need internet for an iGATE. I'm like, my truck has internet. That's not a problem. He's like, oh okay, yeah, So I want something that says, hey, send this APR S signal that you just received to the Internet. And that's what I want. So I want a mobile eye gate.
Speaker 4: It'll probably do both I gate digit pede.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, min yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that makes sense. That makes sense, sure, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so if you guys know how to do that, that's another project I want to work on. I've talked to Jason about it a couple of times and he's given me some advice, which is always good, but he's just he's a little over my head and I'm like, let's just freaking get on a live stream with some cameras and do this. So and I think he's still doing his with dire Wolf. I think, although I or yak, yeah, but I think all of that stuff is built into his his image. He'scot because he doesn't do build a pie anymore. It's all seventy three Linux now. I think, yeah, if you go just get hope. His get hub page says that ham Pie is kind of like transitioned to seventy three. Everything's seventy three Linux now.
Speaker 3: I use a program called a p r X. It's that yeah, very simple. It was programmed by this guy by the name of Ken. What's Ken's last name. He did it as a as a a research paper in his I don't know, you know, thesis. Sure, and he created a pr X and it's very easy, like it's it's like ten lines of configuration and you're up and running.
Speaker 4: Oh wow. I have heard good things about it. I just keep forgetting to.
Speaker 2: Go back to it.
Speaker 3: Yep. It's easy to install apr X.
Speaker 1: Ap apr X Okay, yep, all right, I'm sure there's numerous ways to do it. And I like the fact that I like the fact that the Linko radio and I probably won't I'll probably run into like mid power. I thought. I thought I wanted to get one in the truck. There's like fifty Wyes, I'll run a fifty watt eye gate, so we're just you know, booming everywhere, and that's fine. But I've also got you know, I'm Beacon an APRS and most of the time that one's on fifty wats, We've got five other radios in the truck. I was like, maybe I'll run the iGATE on like a like a half power twenty twenty five watts.
Speaker 2: And it'll it'll do really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it will.
Speaker 2: I think I mean on like ten watts at home.
Speaker 1: Honestly, if it's if all I'm doing is igating with it, then all it needs to do is receive a signal and send it to the Internet. So I could probably run it on one WAT and it would do all that. But if you're talking about digipeding, it's probably gonna be a little bit more effective.
Speaker 4: Well, if it loses its Internet connection, and it will figure that out. If it does, it'll just, yeah, it'll start digitpeeding.
Speaker 2: It'll just out right right let's send.
Speaker 1: It right right exactly. So so if yeah, so I'd like to do that on a live stream upcoming sometime because I've got I've got that, I've got the I can use my second rem a Lenko device for that. Somebody said I think, uh, Tim, and the chat was talking about a Digi pie image on a Raspberry Pie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to build one of those.
Speaker 1: That might be something to try. And like I said, I'm sure there's many ways to do it. Yeah, so I mean, you know you can do it. You can do it cheap cheap on the on the down low and simple, or you can probably get a little bit more driving it with it. So I don't know, I don't know which one's better, but if it's like anything else we do, we'll probably build one and put it together and say, hey, this is great, but I wish it did this. Oh, let's switch it and do the whole thing again, and you know, just like oh there's something new now, oh three point oh came out. Let's switch that, you know, so it's all scan. Nobody uses all mind anywhere. Let's use all scan, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: So so radio right there, my prayer right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well that's for sure. Hey, I vouch.
Speaker 3: I'm going through the chat here. And the only reason why I mentioned this is because I had issues with Putty at home trying to get into my remote serve. Are my remote station and where we run node red. What version of Putty are you using? Can you go into the version of Putty and tell me which one you're using?
Speaker 1: Yeah, one second, it's probably old. I've had it forever.
Speaker 3: Because what happened was I was not able to get into my pies and then whenever I updated to the latest release, everything was solved.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Mine says. The release is zero point seventy to nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, where you see in the version number as.
Speaker 4: The about button on the mainscreen, because point eight two.
Speaker 3: Is out now.
Speaker 1: Point seven to two is what I have.
Speaker 2: You're old or not, and there's an eighty two.
Speaker 3: So just for just for poops and giggles, why don't you upgrade your version of Putty and just try it.
Speaker 1: Let's see download Putty okay.
Speaker 3: Just just to see what happens.
Speaker 5: Install it.
Speaker 1: See, I'm using a I'm using a pocket version. Its just it doesn't even install anything.
Speaker 2: It's just standalone okay.
Speaker 3: Because I was I was not able to get into my pies. It was saying the authentication keys were incorrect, and I'm like, what is going on? And then I I updated? I was, I was, you know, researching on the web, and they're just like, oh, upgrade your version of Putty. Sure enough, I upgraded version of Putty and it it worked.
Speaker 4: And that wouldn't make sense now that you say.
Speaker 3: That, yes, I don't know it, might as well try it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's try it and see. Uh, Steven, would it be okay if I come onto the stream and ask some DV switch related questions? Come onto the stream? You mean in chat or do you mean in zoom? But yes, you can ask. Yeah, ask us any questions you want to. Though, it doesn't matter. Let's see sure why not?
Speaker 2: I'm up dating mind too.
Speaker 3: Now everyone around the world who is watching the stream is updating their Putty, right, They're like.
Speaker 4: Our servers are crashing.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, we had a searge and Putty downloads.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Brian saying Putty seven to two is ancient, ancient?
Speaker 1: It probably is. I'm't updated a long time.
Speaker 3: Like the Pharaoh's ancient, like like the Pyramids.
Speaker 1: Agent you know what, every time I use Putty it works, and unlike Windows, it doesn't give me dumb ass messages all the time. So you need to update so you know, so it doesn't try to do that to me. But okay, so about.
Speaker 3: Don I like mobile x term too, But.
Speaker 1: I used mobile x term at one of my last jobs. That was good. I liked it as well.
Speaker 3: I just always have gravitated back towards Putty. I just yeah, my reason.
Speaker 1: All right, So where is.
Speaker 2: Cheekers Hoddy.
Speaker 3: Gray Man Poda?
Speaker 1: And what's he saying? Now? Okay? So eight two? All right, so let's let's try this.
Speaker 3: Have you tried a factory reset? Have you tried to reboot it?
Speaker 1: Have you? Yeah? Actually, why don't.
Speaker 3: You reboot it and call me back if it doesn't work?
Speaker 1: Ring?
Speaker 3: Ring ring?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is the phone ringing?
Speaker 4: Okay, I can't hear it.
Speaker 1: Is it the right window? Yeah, that's the right window. Okay, let's go over here. Uh okay, that's is h authentication credentials. See this is already different private key for file for authentication. Okay, don't p p K. Yeah, let's do that one session. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna scream at you.
Speaker 2: If this works, we'll be we'll be prepared for next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we will be. That's true. All right, it changes this each time, all right, you guys can see that, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Debian got man, he wiz you were right? I told you was something simple, didn't I?
Speaker 2: Yeah? An hour ago? Ky?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Kyle, what's what's the deal with that?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay, you guys got another hour to hang out here, and no.
Speaker 4: We're logged band, buddy, So we're prep now.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what this is working? So yeah, uh, you know, get Yeah, Jay says to get a Mac. You know, I would get a Mac, but I just refuse to wear that pink two two that comes with all Apple products that they force you to wear. Because I don't know about you guys, but every time I see a Mac user, they're always wearing that pink two too. So I just I'm not I'm not going down that road. But hey, you do you man?
Speaker 2: Is that why?
Speaker 1: Mike interest? Yeah? Yeah, basically okay, all right, so yeah, so I'm gonna wait this uh where is it this one? Turn this chrome back on here, turn this window off, this server right here, well, I'm just gonna leave this alone for the next week. Uh for three one, three six is our all star node. I'm not connected right now because my uh my servers are my note is in my truck is not connected right now, but I'll go connect to it here in a little bit.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: But you guys who did connect tonight, thank you. There's a lot more people connected now than there was when we started the stream, so thank you for uh, thank you for that. But yeah, okay, so hey, we solved one problem tonight. Can can the guys at nuggets say they actually ever solve anything?
Speaker 2: Okay? Exactly?
Speaker 1: If not? If not, they need to start inviting Kyle because he'll figure it out at the very last. Yeah, just swoop in and just like you have you tried? This is the answer. C oh boy. I actually you know what. I I find that odd. That must be a Debian twelve thing because it's the algorithm.
Speaker 3: It's the s sh algorithm.
Speaker 4: But that's right, that's what.
Speaker 1: What s s H algorithm in Debian now in.
Speaker 3: Putty in the protocol, in the protocol.
Speaker 1: But it's work. But I logged in my other two servers with the old version of putty. Just fine.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Now you're asking me the question.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what I say.
Speaker 4: A long time ago though, right, Uh.
Speaker 1: Yes they were Yes, those keys were generated a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we solved the issue, and now you're asking me why I knew how to solve this issue. I have no idea. Why are you asking me these things?
Speaker 1: Now? It works? So okay, well, thank you for the help. We are one step closer, and I'm going to save this putty session. So we got it and whatnot, and I'm gonna let this instance run. These instances run and they cost me money. When you add a new instance, it costs you money. So I want to delete the old instance, but I'm not going to do that until we get the new one running. So but I definitely want to do that. So you guys, Are both of you guys available next Sunday?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I am going to be uh walking with Mickey and Minnie Mouse on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Disney, going to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: We're going to Disney on Thursday and I won't be back until Wednesday of next week.
Speaker 1: Why don't you just wait until February to go to Disney. Two Birds and one Stone and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we've always gone to This is the second year we've gone to Disney after after Thanksgiving because it's the My sister works for Disney, so she gets free passes. Okay, she works for National Geographic, which is owned by Disney. So yeah, yeah, so we go whenever the when the crowd is light and you know.
Speaker 1: So okay, all right, well we'll we'll miss you, but we're going to do this anyway. We're going to do this without you next week. So and if it and if something breaks and we can't figure it out, we're gonna blame you because you weren't here to fix it for us.
Speaker 3: Just hit me up on Discord. I'll have my phone on me and then I'll just throw a random thing and I'd be like, oh, yeah, did you reboot it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Did you read the script?
Speaker 2: I had no idea?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, well, once again thanks to both of you for jumping on.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Freddie will do this next week. I assume Frank will be back. I don't know, uh, but uh, we'll figure that out then.
Speaker 2: So quick note real quick for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this go ahead a six thirty pm Central time. I'm gonna do a live stream for a giveaway because I hit six thousand subs the other day.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: We're gonna give away a couple of handhelds and some quirky stuff, so stay too good Wednesday, six thirty pm Central.
Speaker 1: Sweet.
Speaker 4: Okay, appreciate you all coming by all yep?
Speaker 2: Anybody?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, Yeah, on on your channel on my channel, yeah, hammer say to YouTube channel, yeah good, share that link in the chat. We'll do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have lost my place here, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay cool, Thanks guys, once again, thanks to everyone, thanks for bearing with us. I learned something tonight, so I hope you did too. And we'll get this run in next week and then we'll all connect to it and do some all star Q sos SO seventy three to all. See you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Y'all have a great week.
Speaker 1: Later later