Speaker 1: Monster House presents.
Speaker 2: This formal as I think I know what you're into.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: There's only one reason someone like you would talk to me, and that's the reason you talk to me. This is the reason. Look Project Pegasus. The US President went to Mors.
Speaker 4: And met with aliens.
Speaker 1: What you're into be a cult, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: I don't believe in UFOs and aliens and that kind of stuff. They're not US both, they're u a PS unidentified aerial phenomena.
Speaker 3: I didn't ask, don't care.
Speaker 4: The US military admitted u aps exists and reform. There's space forces now.
Speaker 3: Japan has an aerospace defense Force.
Speaker 1: Don't just see everyone's caring a core in space Oka.
Speaker 2: The lie.
Speaker 1: I want to say.
Speaker 4: There's this new picture of Nessy talk.
Speaker 1: There's also stuff about Lieutenant.
Speaker 3: Colonel Jim Trennon. Let's gon walk around. I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature party part in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster monster t.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. This is a fan request episode. As I'll say, hearing the interview, quite a few listeners reached out to us about the content overlap between the topics that we discuss on Monster Talk and the topics covered in the anime series Dan. To Dan, it's not a show for everyone, and it's definitely not a show for little kids, But you guys were right about the stuff that the show covers being of interest to Munster Talk listeners and to me now, this episode will not be a deep dive into critical thinking or science. It's more of a fun side quest into contextualizing how a show like Dana Dan has fictionalized and incorporated story elements from folklore, legend, custom Fortiana myth, and conspiracy theory and to a darned amusing and engaging teen comedy drama series. It's probably possible to watch the show without ever realizing that the stream of trivia about these topics is so relentlessly evocative of familiar elements to those of us who immerse ourselves in the weird and the spooky. But if you watch it and you are immersed in this stuff, it's just kind of astonishing. Maybe the only other pop culture consumption similar to me would be how people my age tended to respond to the book Ready Player One. There's so many references in there that if you're in clients in nostalgia, it was easy to sort of ignore other weaknesses in the plot when you first read it. But unlike Ready Player One, this show seems to have a lot more depth and definitely more surprises. Now if you want to check the series out after listening, you can find it on streamer channels that our guest Justin Mullis will mention, including Netflix. Speaking of we're happy to welcome back doctor Justin Mullis, who most recently joined us to talk about the relationships of cryptozoology with kaiju in Japan, and today he's going to help us contextualize the weird shitology elements in season one of Dan to Dan. We'll try to make this a no spoiler show, but due to the fact that the main plot of the first few episodes deals with a witch stealing a boy's penis, this episode gets the explicit tag more instrutle. Anyway, thanks for joining us, Justin. We're really excited tonight' to be talking about the very peculiar show Dan to Dan. And by the way, I sometimes see it listed as Dan to Dan one word, and I sometimes see it listened as Dan Dan separately. Any idea. I mean I realized this. It's an English version of a Japanese title. Do you know? Is it three words? Is it one word?
Speaker 5: You want to the title explained? So I'm so blake. I imagine you've probably seen the very famous Academy Award winning Japanese movie Qui Don. Yes, yeah, so the famous based on the Lafacadio Hearn's collection of Japanese ghost stories.
Speaker 4: Right, so three.
Speaker 1: Hours of color and experiment. Wow, yeah, exactly three hours, four four stories, three hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there you go. Amazing movie.
Speaker 5: But so that word, yeah, Qui don, right, so to cut the Qui off don the don so Qui don means ghost story. So this is Tatsu the creator, having some fun with the title. So it's kind of like stories story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, when I hear Dan to Dan, I think of the the of Blue Moon, the original version, the mussels, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Dang and Dang Dang. But Dan and dangloom.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna sing it either, but that that's uh my wife, that's one of her favorite movies is an American Werewolf from London and that comes in a critical scene. So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: It all comes together.
Speaker 1: It really does well. Anyway, justin we're having you on tonight to talk about this anime series. Dan to Dan and I. We get a lot of emails from listeners suggesting we try out certain pop culture things, but I had never gotten as many random, feeling out of the blue, people who've never written saying, hey, have you guys seen this? Because it is and I, you know, I Kieren and I are both really busy doing lots and lots of consumption of stuff to prepare us for the show. But I made the time, and holy cow, they weren't joking. The first episode of this has when they all through the whole series that exists so far, there are so many references to cryptids and folklore and magic and monsters that are not entirely made up for the show that they were like pulled from like I don't want to say real, but like contemporary sources in our culture, Like so, uh.
Speaker 5: The folklore, Yeah, and folklore exactly.
Speaker 1: It's it's it is extraordinary. Uh, it's so it's so dense with references. Uh, but they work. I mean it does it. At first, the first episode, I actually thought they were over the top with how many specific so many specific references to UAPs, to the Ministry goes, the Flatwoods Monster shows up. Yeah, I mean just so much. But it actually works. I mean, like it's it's not it's not artifice smacked on top of something shallow. It's like it actually it seems to really all be integrated with the central idea.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely. I mean I forgot until Reese. I just rewatched the first arc of the show in preparation for this. But yeah, I mean in the first episode, like, yeah, they name drop Skinwalker Ranch even so yeah, so I'm curious, you know, maybe this is relevant contexts. So, you know, Blake, I know you're an anime fan, and obviously I am as well. But so, Karen, was this your first experience with this medium?
Speaker 2: Oh oh yes, yes, so I you guys suggested. I watched not one episode to judge it on the basis of one, but to watch a couple of episodes, and so I only got it around to watching two, and I have to say I did struggle through it a bit, and the first episode was very full on as Blake described. I mean, there were a lot of things that I liked about it. I liked I thought the Japanese music was cool. I thought the elements of girl Pow are really cool as well. Characters were quirky. It's a very action packed, but I think in general, it's just not my cup of tea. It's not my kind of I didn't get into that genre. And I've spoken with anime fans because I wasn't receiving the plethora of emails from listeners who asked, have you seen this? And I think it definitely sounds that the kind of thing that Blake would see, But no one's approached me about it, so I didn't know what the hell I was in for, and again approaching anime fans, I didn't come across anyone who liked it. But then when I did a lot of looking up of forums and things online, so many people were raving out raving about it. Ten out of ten they seem to absolutely love it. So it just seems like you either I don't want to say I hate it, but it seems like people love it or hate it, and there's not too much in between. But it was again, it really should be right up my alley because of all the paranormal themes that they investigate. But it was just very different to anything of ever experienced. And maybe that's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think for me, Like, so you said, I'm an anime fan, and that's not wrong, but it also I think I should constrain that just a little bit because I've been, like I've been in fandom forever because I'm old and grew up in the eighties and so I still remember before the Internet, when all the anime content was bootleg vhs, and like even even when I was in boot camp in the Navy, when we first got out of boot camp and in a school, I was able to leave base and go. I think the comic book store was NCC one seven and one. I think it was actually named after the Enterprise, but they had a back room where you could do role playing games or whatever, and on Saturdays, people would bring bootleg vhs from Japan and I remember watching some of that and basically there was no subtitles, there were no dubs. There would be somebody there explaining what was going on. It's like like aids for the deaf or something. But I remember someone trying to explain Ronmo one half to me as I watched a bootleg of that. It was very peculiar. But I do like this stuff. But a lot of it is there's there's parts of it that are super focused on very sexy teenagers, and that's never been something I was Basically by the time I got into it, I was too old to feel comfortable with that that that sort of thing. But this show grabs me in a decidedly non sexual way with its plot and content, so it manages to get.
Speaker 2: Past the fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does. But I guess we should start with actually, because I'm rambling and I and you're here as a as an expert to talk about this. What's this show about? What is Dan to Dan about?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sure, So for for anybody who doesn't know what we're talking about and hasn't been completely alienated yet.
Speaker 4: So is a.
Speaker 5: Anime series that premiered last year in the fall of twenty twenty four. It was twelve episodes. It was produced by Science Saru, which is the anime Studio branch of Toho Studios, to the same.
Speaker 4: People who do the Godzilla movies.
Speaker 5: And it's based on a manga of the same name that is written and illustrated by Yuki Nobutatsu, and the manga is a couple.
Speaker 4: Of years old now.
Speaker 5: It debuted in April of twenty twenty one, and as of January of this year, it has been collected into eighteen volumes, eleven of which have been translated into English so far as of the start of this month February. And in Japan, Dandaddan is serialized in Shonen Jump Plus, which is a comic magazine that's intended for mature audiences. It's the same magazine that other popular series like Spy X Family and Kaiju Number eight, which are both very popular right now, appear in, and so kind of building off of something you are just alluding to, Blake, this is probably also a good place to bring up that, yes we're talking about a comic book, Yes we're talking about an animated series, but this is decidedly not a children's fair, right, and since there's like very young children, so the anime in particular, well, both the anime and the comic have plenty of like risk gay humor in it, there's partial nudity, and they also deal with really weighty issues at times, like sexual assault and domestic violence. So this is intended for at least like I think the rating on the streaming platforms because it's on Netflix and it's on Hulu, and it's on a Crunchy Role, which is an anime specific streaming service, which is I believe it's TVMA, so you know, it's for kind of an older and older teen audience. But as Karen was also saying, this was a series that when it debuted last year, proved extremely popular. It ended up being the most streamed anime for twenty twenty four on Netflix with over three million views, and it was ended up also being Netflix's most second most popular English language program for the platform. Netflix actually seems to be the platform that garnered the most attention with Dan to Dan, even though it was on multiple platforms, and interestingly enough, apparently, from what I've read, a Crunchy Role, even though they are an anime specific streaming service, didn't really heavily promote the release of Dan to Dan because they were concerned about the kind of riskue elements you know, alienating some viewers, so they kind of missed out on getting new subscribers because of that, because most people, it seems like, just turned into Netflix to watch this particular series since it was available there. And also, I mean, as far as as kind of anime and especially sort of mature anime standards, I mean, the show is also kind of frankly not that incredibly riskue either, right, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's the It's there's the whole subgenre of sexy teen drama comedy type thing and h and some of those are way more, way more openly sexual in their content. And of course I grew up in the American South and the evangelical family, So even though I'm pretty liberated myself, I might, you know, I can't help what makes me cringe, you know, well.
Speaker 5: And it's worth mentioning. So also, I mean, as a point of comparison, so the creator of Dan to De Dan tatsu he actually started off his career in the industry as an assistant to Tatsuki Fujimoto, who is the creator of another very popular contemporary anime series, which is chainsaw Man, which is much more violent, much more risky, and its content, I mean, it is literally about a guy who makes a faustian compact with the demon just so that he can try and get laid. So that's that's the plot of that series. So you know, considering that that was sort of Tatsu's sort of mentor and template, you know, this is definitely kind of a step down. And I do like the fact that Karen earlier mentioned the sort of girl power aspect of Dan to de Dan, which I'll get to the plot here of the series in a second, but that's something that Tatsu has actually talked about in several interviews, which was that, you know, he really wanted to do a boy's comic, right, which is what shonan means in Japan, right, a comic that's aimed at an adolescent male audience. But he wanted to do one that had a female character who wasn't there essentially just to be, you know, a sex object for the male protagonist, right, who was actually the main character and who had a lot of autonomy and was actually the focus of the narrative. And and so, without spoiling anything, what Dana de Dan is about is it revolves around these two high schoolers, momo I Say and Ken Takakura, who meet each other and bond over a mutual obsession over paranormal phenomena. Ken is really into UFOs and and that kind of side of of Fortiana, and Momo her grandmother is a spirit medium, and so she's into ghosts and that kind of thing, and so they and they initially have a disagreement over the validity of that stuff, which we can get into, but they end up having kind of a mutual experiences with the supernatural that kind of bond them and and you know, sort of challenge their preconceived notions about this, and then basically the bulk of the series is the kind of teaming up to go and investigate different paranormal occurrences happening around their hometown, involving aliens, ghosts, cryptids, that kind of stuff. So that's the very sort of spoiler free version of the.
Speaker 4: Plot of Danda Didan.
Speaker 5: I should also mention so that Momo nicknames kN.
Speaker 4: Okoroun, which is a.
Speaker 5: Portmanteau of the Japanese version of the term a cult, which is oko ruto plus the Japanese prefixed kun, which is a term of endearment. So basically kind of like saying, you know, a culti pal or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my kids said it means something kind of like a cult, bro or a cult.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's a good one. Yeah I like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, now I'm curious, like, have your kids watched it? And what did they think?
Speaker 1: Oh? They they two thirds of them absolutely love it. But the other one has got one of those personalities that if you tell them there's something good, they'll hate it or they won't watch it. So whenever her friends suggest it instead of her dad, I'm sure she'll love it. So yeah, Plus she has so much in common with Momo. I just they love it. I mean they the two watch it with me and we've had a really great conversation. Of course, I'm sure they would like get better without me because I keep going, oh, that's a real thing. Oh and that's a real thing, and that comes from here and that comes from there. But I mean it is like I mean, it is just chalk. It's chunk a with real stuff to reference, you know, I say real you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Momo is Japanese for peach.
Speaker 1: Really, Okay, that's cute, do you know?
Speaker 5: Well, so do you know the Japanese folk tale of Momotaro No? So the characters' names in the show are all an illusion to the folk tale of Momotato, which is basically a story about a boy who the super short version, it's about a story about a boy who teams up with a dog, a monkey, and a pheasant to kill a bunch of oni or demons. It's probably one of the most famous folk tales in all of Japan, so much so that it was I mean, this doesn't sound great, but it's true. It was used for propaganda purposes during the Second World War. That's how like embedded in the culture it is. But so in Danada, Dan Momo right peach, and then ken Oko Run's real name.
Speaker 4: Ken is dog.
Speaker 5: And then later on they're joined by two other characters. Oh yeah, Aira whose full name is Shira Tori, which is pheasant, and Jigi, which is short for in Joji, which is monkey.
Speaker 1: So they're all like, oh, that is really cool. Again, this thing's got so many layers, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, and they're they're going off to fight monsters together. So yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, as we've all been discussing, there's just such a phenomenal mashup of tropes that really all our listeners would be interested in. I'm still getting over the idea of the Sumo Alien. That was a new one for me. But I wonder if we could talk a little bit about these kind of mash ups and the different characters that are on the show. And I only watched a couple of episodes, but could you maybe tell us a bit about the stories of cryptids as aliens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, so you were you were alluding to the the Sumo Alien, which is within the context of the series. It is supposed to be the Flatwoods.
Speaker 4: Monster, right, which I know you guys, Yeah, I have covered before.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so the Flatwoods Monster is incredibly popular in Japan, really, like ridiculously popular.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's shown up in multiple video games, various Japanese manga, anime, superhero shows. You can buy vinyl figures of the Flatwoods Monster, and most recently it was in Minoru Kawasaki's twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Film a UFO Intruder.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, so the Flatwoods Monsters is very popular. It seems to have been introduced to Japanese culture when John Keel's book Strange Creatures from Time and Space was translated into Japanese. It was translated by Hiroshi Mina Miyama, who is a very famous and still living paranormal investigator in Japan. He translated it as the Mysterious Phenomena File. And to kind of tie back to the last time I was on the show, Mina Yama is also one of the two guys who came up with the acronym uma or Unidentified Mystery Animals, which is what cryptids are called in Japan.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah. And also Strange Creatures from Time and Space is the that is the same book that I contend is where John Keel injected blessed silver bullets into the Jevadan story and it's just from there's blown up everywhere.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, one of the things that's interesting is so in Japan, the Flatwoods Monster is not always referred to as the Flatwoods Monster because flatwoods doesn't necessarily have any kind of resonance or meaning for Japanese audiences. So and even in the English dub for Dan to to Dan, this kind of comes through because you'll notice that Okorun goes back and forth between calling it the Flatwoods Monster and emphasizing the fact that it's three meters tall, right, And that's because in Japan, The Flatwoods Monster is most commonly referred to as the three meter tall Alien, which also, fun fact, was apparently the nickname of director Shinji Haguchi in high school, with Haguchi being the guy who worked on like shin Godzilla and the nineties Gamma trilogy and stuff. But there was actually a recent interview with the head translator for the Dona de Don manga for its English language release, and he talked about how it's that kind of stuff in this manga that's like a real headache doing the translation, because he was like, I'm not into this kind of stuff, so I've got to you know, figure out, Okay, what is the three meter tall alien referencing, because I can't call it the three meter tall alien because somebody's gonna know what this actually is and something has to figure out the Flatwoods Monster and that kind of thing, so in order to get the translation to to come across. But yeah, so the Flatwoods Monster though, is one of like the first antagonists that that they come up against in the series, and so you could you already start seeing that kind of you know in intersection there of you know sort of like cryptids and aliens and other things and and then it just it keeps going through through the series as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't spoil anything, but they're definitely hinting even in season one, they're hinting that there's a unity to these things in some way. There's some interrelatedness which I find really interesting. But I don't spoil me, man, But well, I won't, I won't, I won't spoil.
Speaker 5: I won't spoil anything because I have read I have read the manga, so I know where where this story is going. But just sticking to like the first season, I mean, the other, the other one of the other really interesting examples of this and especially like you know, kind of HARKing back to the last time I was talking with you guys about my cryptidda kaiju essay, I mean, this show is such like a case study in that because you can see that Tatsu is somebody who's not only really you know, fascinated by Fortiana, but also is a big taiju fan, because the show is constantly like fusing those sort of references together all the way all the way down to the even like the the theme song for the anime or the opening credits, because the opening credits, uh, you know, I imagine Blake and and your son you probably would have caught this, but they're a deliberate kind of homage to the original Ultraman.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, my son hit that so hard in immediate he's like, I know that alien that's from ultramat and like, yeah, yeah, absolutely absolutely, Yeah. Yeah, he's a little he's a little encyclopedia of Ultra Man. I guess, right, is that what?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the yeah, the open So the opening credits for this show do these these silhouettes, which is this traditional Japanese art form called uh kami kiri, right, and so they show all the different monsters in silhouettes, and that was something that was pioneered by the original Ultraman series from nineteen sixty six. And there's even a shot in the credits where Momo does like a flying kick in silhouette and her earrings swing up over her face that looked like Ultraman's eyes.
Speaker 1: No, it's an extraordinarily stylish animation style, Like I mean, the seems to be an interesting blend of real photography, computer generated and then traditional animation styles to the and it's very impressive, very colorful. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I haven't seen anything quite like it, but who knows. So I hope season two comes along because season one, by the way, to let people know, it does not end with a story arc conclusion. It just abruptly stops, so you've kind of left hanging.
Speaker 5: Well, there's several small story arcs in the first there are, there are, and what they did was the last episode is actually the beginning of the next arc.
Speaker 4: So which is which is where it's.
Speaker 5: Leading leading into the story going And you know, whether you know it or not, in that episode, they've already kind of told you more about what's coming up than you might realize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they drop a lot of hints, but I actually have a question. So because while a ton of this material comes from what we usually call weird shadology these days, it's stuff that I'm familiar with. A lot of it is also dealing with Japanese folk magic, and that is not something I have a lot of understanding of. You know, I've seen it and occasionally in martial arts films, and I don't In those cases, I don't know how much is this is supposed to be reversly real folklore or this is make them up for the action movie you know, so I how much of the sort of magic, you know, the prayers being nailed up in this is, the the wards, the gestures, there's so many things happening there. You know what portion of that is is based on legit of practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, so, as I mentioned earlier, so Momo's grandmother who has this whole like Marisa Tomei from the MCU Spider Man movie.
Speaker 1: Totally six grandma.
Speaker 5: Yeah, her, her, her grandmother is is referred to and self identify as repeatedly throughout the series. So in Japanese it's ribashi, right, which is a term that basically can be translated as spirit medium or psychic, and so it's a pretty generic term. So for whatever reason, Tatsu does not want to seem to overtly identify her with any particular spiritual tradition, right, probably for creative reasons. But there's all kinds of stuff throughout the show, throughout the Mango where she's repeatedly kind of being coded in different ways or referencing different different practices. So the main one is that she's she's kind of repeatedly coded as a etaco, which are specifically mediums associated with the Japanese religion of Shinto, who are exclusively women sixty years or older. And a prerequisite to being in a taco is that you're also supposed to be blind or at least so severely you know, vision impaired, that you might as well be legally blind.
Speaker 4: Right, And so.
Speaker 5: Seiko Momo's grandmother is obviously not actually blind, but like in episode three, for example, you know, she's going around while awake wearing like a sleep mask, right, So, and she she advises Momo at one point because Momo discovers that she has you know, psychic powers as well, nindor yoku or telekinesis, right, and and you know, she's saying that she's having trouble, you know, using using her powers, and and so her grandmother says, well, one of your problems is like you're looking, you're using your eyes too much. Right, close your eyes, right, you know, you need to feel you know your powers rather than like relying on right exactly seen Star Wars. This should sound sound familiar in a way. So a lot of the stuff that that she's doing, in the fact that she lives at a house that's also at a shrine, right, seems to be coding her as in a taco, the idea that she's supposed to be a grandmother.
Speaker 4: Even though again Marissa Tome you know, is uh.
Speaker 5: It seems to all be pointing in that direction. But as you mentioned, Blake, and you see, especially in like episode uh, the third episode the series, she's also using things like o fuda talus, right, these paper talismans, and she's making protective magic circles, and she's using uh nails, which are important part in a lot of Japanese folk magic, right specifically, you know, like there's the infamous Ushino Toki mayri or ox hour shrine curse, which a version of which also shows up in Shainsaw Man by the way. But you know, and so these are all elements that call to mind the Japanese Taoist practice of omi yodo, which is a form of geomancy that you see all the time in anime and other works of popular culture, especially since the nineteen eighties. You know, there there's this popular kind of trope or or stock figure of what's been called the Taoist wizard, right, and and that's what the the omi yodo is. So a lot of that stuff seems to also be hearkening to those those kinds of those traditions as well. And it's also worth noting that, you know, so Psycho says that, you know, she gets her power from her patron uh kame uh, which are supernatural beings in in Shinto, they're often described as gods. But that's not really the best translation, and unfortunately there isn't really a better English word. I know, in religious studies, some scholars will use phrases like, you know, locusts of personified power, but that you know, sounds really overly technical.
Speaker 1: But it's a it's a kind of god.
Speaker 4: God is kind of the idea.
Speaker 1: Like an enhanced animism, where it's not just an it's not just aware, but it actually literally has some power behind it, right exactly.
Speaker 5: And and and in the case of Dona de don so, yeah, Psycho's patron kame is Suno Dashi, who is a really interesting kami because Suno Dashi is actually a version of a historical figure, which was the tenth century Buddhist monk Rheosian. And there's this legend that at one point there was a group of again hearkening back to the story of Momotaro, there was a group of rampaging Oni and in order to defeat them, Rhosian allowed himself to be turned into an one called Suno Dashi which means the Great Horned Master, so that he could defeat them. And and so then since then this has become like its own his own kame is this like ony.
Speaker 4: Form of this Buddhist monk.
Speaker 5: So and so that's who Psycho specifically patron deity is. But also an important plot point in the first you know arc of the show is that, you know, her powers are geographically bound, right, what we call the idea of a tertiary spirit, you know. So you know, that's why the initial antagonist, which is this figure called Turbo Granny that I guess we can talk about and a really big crab which we can also talk about. You know, they have to lure them out of their city into the city where Psycho's shrine is in order for them to defeat them, because, as she says, like, you know, we have to play a home game.
Speaker 4: We can't play an away game or we're gonna lose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I just I know. Longtime listeners will recognize that the Great Horned Master is also the name of my Miles Davis cover band.
Speaker 4: So it's nice.
Speaker 2: Well, justin you mentioned Turbo Granny. Can we talk a little bit about the surprise that some people might have to learn that some of the weirder elements of the show aren't really woven from thin air, but they actually refer to real beliefs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, so so yeah. And the first the first arc of the series, the one of the principal antagonists is the Theokai called Turbo Granny, who's this uh like hag figure which is is in Japan, is associated with Hyogo Prefecture and even more specifically with the area around Mount Roku.
Speaker 4: But the the.
Speaker 5: Urban legend is that Turbo Granny is supposed to be this old woman that you will run into and you know, she she's really freaky, and if you try to run away from her and she catches you, then she'll put a curse on you, right, And and that's supposed to be part of the ideas. It's like she's she's so fat, like she's she's super fast, which you wouldn't expect from like, you know, an octogenarian, right And and what's interesting with with Turbo Granny is that she's obvious. You see a kind of modern variation of a really classic yokai, which is the yama Uba or mountain witch, right, which is very deeply embedded in Japanese folklore, And if people want to know more about that, I would strongly recommend Noriko Wrider's book Mountain Witches from Utah State University Press that came out a couple of years ago, which goes into the traditions of the yama Uba. But writer doesn't talk too much in there about these kind of more modern variations. But there wasn't an April twenty twenty three article in MoU magazine which we should probably talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that does.
Speaker 5: Talk about how in recent years on the Internet there have been all of these very hyper specific versions of the yama Uba, Turbo Granny being one of them. The other ones include these are fun the basketball Granny, the hopping Granny, the coffin Granny, and hood Granny, which is in this case a reference to the hood of your car, so she'll like jump on the hood of your car while you're driving. But but in the case of Donda de don So, yeah, ok, run runs into the turbo Granny and makes the mistake of running away from her and doesn't escape, and he is he's caught, and she places a curse on him. And in this case, you know, the curse is that his his manhood disappears.
Speaker 4: So and well.
Speaker 1: Can I can I just interject here that I was I was shocked when that happened, and then I was double shocked when I you reminded me that there was this whole idea of Coro which was a fads the wrong way. It was sort of a cultural panic type thing.
Speaker 4: The social panic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also this idea of witches stealing your manhood goes all the way back to the witch's hammer. This is an old idea and I had just forgotten it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely so and and yeah, this is again, this is one. This is one of those things. And I think this is one of the really fun elements of this show, right, which is that you know, people, people see this, and your initial reaction because of all the other kind of risque humor in the show is that this is just kind of like one more sort of like low brow joke. It's like, oh, this witch, you know, stole this, this teenage boy's uh you know, uh nitol. Yeah, yeah, and and you know, so so you know, so you know, he's he's literally been you know, emasculated, you know, when at the same time he's trying to you know, hook up with this girl who's kind of you know, momo, who's kind of out of his league. But in fact, yeah, I mean, you know, I am I am absolutely sure that Tatsu is making reference to the real life sort of forty in you know social panic phenomena of kuro which is has been has been very well documented. I would point people in the direction of scholar Frank Burr's book The Geography of Madness, which is all about this idea, and and Burr's talks about how you know, this is something that crops up all around the world. He says, you know, from Nigeria to Thailand, from Borneo to Hong Kong. You know, you have these these cases where there will be these social social panics where men will start claiming, you know, hey, yeah, I've been deprived of you know, of my genitals by a witch or by some kind of other uh you know, similar evil spirit. And and as you already said, Blake, yeah, this has very this has a long history to it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you this, if the wind steals, you're junk, You're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to add too, I don't remember the names of all of these festivals. When I was writing my book Misconceptions on Infertility, I had read about a Japanese penis festival and all of these other fertility festivals and ones based on urban legends about steel vaginas and penises and all things, all kinds of things like this. So, yeah, they do seem to have a lot of kind of folklore around this topic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're thinking of the Kanamara matt Suri, right, which is a traditional harvest festival in Kawasaki, Japan, which is also known ye as the Festival of the Steel fallis so, which yeah, is wild where you've got you know, they parade a giant a giant penis down the street as a float, and you know you can buy all kinds of penis shaped themed goods. So you know, we're we're earning your explicit rating for this, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: So but this is this is anthropology.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well it's it's panthropology, right. What you've said that in our chat, it's prepagant for this. You said that the whole series is a bit of a love letter to MOO magazine, can you I don't. I was not familiar with that, but it sounds really cool. First of all, can you tell us about it? And is there any kind of English translation of it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, so I when the last time I was on the show, I mentioned that, Yeah, you have this publication in Japan which is called MoU in reference to the lost content.
Speaker 1: Not the cow sound exactly, Yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 4: Im you Im right?
Speaker 5: So from theosophical lore which is called MoU and the subtitle is the Super Mystery Magazine. And one of the protagonists from the nineteen ninety one got Zilla film Got Deliversus, King Gadora, is actually a journalist from Moo magazine. So but yeah, when when we first meet ok Run in Danada, dan he's reading a magazine that actually is is the.
Speaker 1: Is it PO? It's something? Oh yeah, yes, it's Po.
Speaker 5: But if you're familiar with MoU, it's obviously MoU like it is identical to MoU.
Speaker 4: And so MoU is the.
Speaker 5: Premiere paranormal periodical in Japan, and it was founded in nineteen seventy nine during the Japanese occult boom. In the in the seventies, which we previously talked about, and it's been running ever since, and there's no there's no English language translation for it that I'm aware of. They do have certain articles like the one I mentioned before, that they have posted online, and Google Translate is getting better all the time, so if you use that, you can read some of these online articles as examples of it. And there's also been some interviews with the current editor in chief of MoU, which is this guy, Takeiharu Mkami, that have appeared in English in recent years. Because so the publication in the English language world that I would compare mood to is the forty in Times, which was even founded also in nineteen seventy three. It's very similar to forty in Times for people who are familiar with that, in that it's a monthly publication. It has a very bold, eye catching cover art and interior sort of layout, very like sort of sensational, almost kind of tabloid sounding titles for their articles. But then when you actually read the content of the articles, you know they lure you in with all of all of that sort of over the topness, But more often than not, when you read the articles, they actually take a very critical, if not often sort of skeptical approach to the material that they're covering. And there was a twenty twenty one interview that Makami did with Japan Today where he actually they were talking about QAnon reaching Japan, right, and Makami was saying, how you know, this was a topic that they had sort of avoided covering in the magazine for a while. They were aware of it, but now that it had reached Japan, they were basically forced to actually talk about it. But he was emphasizing the idea that the point of MU as a publication is not to encourage belief in the supernatural, but to actually grow readers, what he said, their conspiracy theory literacy, right, and he said, this is a quote from him. He said, the only way to discourage people from being drawn in by conspiracies is to boost their conspiracy theory literacy, right, which is what they try to regularly do in the magazine.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So give them like the facts and the information, but in like a sort of fun, accessible way to let them know about this material and know where it comes from and all of this kind of stuff. And MoU is evidently very very popular in Japan, right, which still has a very high sort of print media culture over there. And according to Tamakami, the numbers that he gave in that Pan Today interview was he said, they currently have a print circulation of over fifty seven thousand, wow, which like blows the forty times out of the water, which as of twenty eighteen, what I could find at a monthly print circulation of fourteen thousand. And then I reached out to the current editor of A Skeptical Inquirer and was told that their current monthly print circulation is eighteen thousand. So that's some comparison, right wo. But yeah, and but you know, what you know Okarun is reading is absolutely an issue of MoU. You see the magazine repeatedly brought up throughout the show. Tatsu the creator has said in various interviews that, you know, that's his main source for a lot of the information, a lot of the ideas is going back to move and in fact, you know, so in that first episode when Okarun and Momo meet, you know, Momo asks Oko Run what he's reading, and he starts going on about how he's reading an article about Project Pegasus, which is this bizarre conspiration theory from twenty twelve that alleged that like the CIA had a secret project in the nineteen eighties where they were sending people to Mars, and one of the people they're supposed to have sent was a teenage Barack Obama.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, we all know this story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a real conspiracy. I know, I know, and it was It was in.
Speaker 5: And it was really covered in Moo magazine. It was the cover story wow, for issue number three eighty one, which came out in August twenty twelve. And when Okarun holds up the magazine to Momo, that is the exact layout of that article.
Speaker 4: They just copied it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: There you go. I certainly didn't mean to or don't want to alienate people with what I think about the show, and I don't think that I would either, and three million people can't be wrong, surely, So I would urge people who are listening to give it a try. But I think we need to wind things up justin I just wanted to ask you about an article that you've written about the show. When's it coming out and where is it coming out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I've written a short article talking about the show. It should be coming out on a I p T. Which is Adventures and Poor Taste, which is where I regularly do book reviews. So and it's it's just going to touch on a few a few different aspects of the show, a few things that we didn't necessarily get around to talking about.
Speaker 4: In this one.
Speaker 5: I spend some time talking about the idea of Kappa as aliens, which is something that comes up in the show, which again is a direct reference to a very famous article that ran in Move magazine back in the nineties. So so yeah, I have I've written I've written a short a short little piece about it as well. But yeah, I mean, there's so much that's just like jammed pack into this this series, and even just like the first season of the anime, you know that we haven't even haven't even got into So yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, thank you so much for what has got to be one of the tidiest explainers for an anime I've ever been part of. So I'm really thankful for your time. I'm gonna wind up here, but I want to leave a bonus question for patrons. Yeah sure, okay, So here's my bonus patron question. You're ready, here, we go for Patreon listeners only. Okay, Ken Takakura is an important part of this story.
Speaker 4: Monster.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You just heard doctor Justin mullis helping us make sense of some of the many cultural connections president in the Weird Shitology Dance anime series Dan to Dan. Thanks again Justin for taking the time to talk with us, and do keep an eye out for his upcoming article in the excellent website AIPT Adventures and Poor Taste. Speaking of listener suggestions, yes, I have been checking out on Kenny Japan. I'm only just getting started, but the episodes I've tried, including the one on Turbo Granny, have been excellent. So thanks to everyone who's been poking me with sticks saying check out on Kenny Japan over and over again, and also please stop poking me with sticks. Hey, Blake here, I'll be sitting sale this July with Brian Dunning of the Skeptoid Podcast as part of his Skeptoid Adventure series. If you want to join us, check the show notes or google Skeptoid Adventure. But you need to book Passage by April to be a part of it. You'll get lots of details about the Bermuda Triangle while traveling in the Bermuda Triangle. And I'll be doing a live reading of a spooky nautical ghost story at sea. And if you sign up for the day trip to Key West, I'll tell you all about Robert the Doll and then you can see him for yourself. I hope you can join us. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. We hope you enjoyed this episode. Please come back next week for more.
Speaker 5: This has been a Monster House presentation.
Speaker 1: This is a fan request episode and I and keep an eye out for his upcoming article and an excellent website. A yype Yeah