Speaker 1: It's nice eyes.
Speaker 2: I'm going razy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Thanks Ema. Great to hear your voice here on WBZ. My name is Dan Ray. I am the host of Nightside, heard every Monday through Friday night from Aid and to a midnight I will tell you right out front, I'm dealing with a little bit of a congested head cold. You don't need to necessarily know that. But if I sound a little different tonight, that's why. And I'm going to get through this show with my pal Noah thought to let me who is back in the control room. Rob Brooks is off for the holiday. I'm juneteenth, as is Marina. We worked with Karen Boussemi today, so we're all set. We're ready to go. And I had a tough night at the last hour last night. I was really coughing, and I apologize for that. But I like my job and I like what I do, and I'll try to get through it and just work through it tonight. That's ed tomorrow night and I can rest over the weekend. Go to start off tonight with one of the great friends of nights Side, the great Emily Sweeney, reporter at the Boston Globe. She runs the Cold Case files. And also she's the blater Tales columnist. Emily. I actually remember this cold case. It goes back obviously twenty five years tomorrow. This is really interesting. Tell us about the disappearance twenty five years ago of a young woman named Debbie Mello.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan, this is one of the cases that really really gets to me, and I appreciate you taking the time to talk about it and let people know that this is still an open case.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Debbie Mello is a mother at two, and she was thirty years old when she went missing June twentieth, two thousand, so that was twenty five years ago tomorrow. The last person who was said that saw her alive was a husband, Louis, and he said that they got into a fight in Weymouth while they were driving and she demanded to get let out of the car and Route eighteen. He said he did, and she got out. She left their pocketbook behind. He drove a little bit more. When he turned around and came back, he says she was gone, and that spot a major search up in Weymouth. She lived in Taunton, you know, her and Louis lived in Taunton, and searches were also conducted there, but she hasn't been seen since.
Speaker 1: Wow. That that is a stumper, because, first of all, even if someone was got into an argument with a spouse, they were married, correct, Yes, Okay, So if someone you get into an argument with a spouse and someone is so angry or upset they asked you to pull over and they get out of the car but lead their pocketbook, that doesn't make a lot of sense because and.
Speaker 3: Ruby eighteen too is a tough spot to be let out. You know, it's very busy roadway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no one else, no one else. I'm sure the police probably ran a roadblock for a few nights and did what they had to do and ask questions if anybody saw it. Did anyone actually see her walking along the roadway?
Speaker 3: There was no no sightings of her, which which is also strange. And you know there searches were conducted up in Weymouth and also down in Taunton, and tomorrow there's going to be an event, actually a memorial pac in Taunton in her honor. Friends. It's open to the public. Family are going to gather and you know, just remember her. And you know, again it's great to spread the word that this is still an open case. If anybody saw anything, knows anything, they can contact Norfolk District Attorney's office or the state police.
Speaker 1: So let me come back to the case at hand. At what time of night was this argument? Was it at dusk? Was it, you know, early in the evening. When did mister Mellow say that his wife demanded to get out of the car.
Speaker 3: It's broad daylight in the afternoon between three and four o'clock and June twentieth was a Tuesday, so it was a weekday.
Speaker 1: Good weather conditions, I'm sure you've checked that out. Decent weather, typical June weather.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there wasn't any you know, extreme weather or anything. And again, it's just it's very odd.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The last another person who saw her alive was she went to a doctor's appointment that day and that's where Louis kind of picked her up. And again that was right on Route eighteen and Weymouth, the doctor's office, so she was seen there that afternoon, and what happened to her after that is a complete mystery.
Speaker 1: What was the argument over.
Speaker 3: Money? The Globe actually interviewed Louis three days after Debbie disappeared, and he said that she flipped out. They were arguing about money. Apparently, you know, her family told me that, you know, a family member said it was over like maybe face cream or something, that she bought a dermatologist's office.
Speaker 1: And wow, any insurance policies cashed?
Speaker 3: You know that I'm not aware of. I know Louis ended up getting you know, divorced from Debbie while she was you know, still missing, and you know, ended up getting remarried.
Speaker 1: And is he still living? Is he still living in the area.
Speaker 3: As far as I know, he's still living in the same house. I called him for comment and he told me to f myself and hung up.
Speaker 1: That's pleasant. Wow, well, Emily, that sounds like one that boy, the fact that that no one, uh, this is like disappearing into thin air. This is a real tough one. And it's pretty recent in terms of I mean, you do some cases that go back fifty years where there's probably no hope, but maybe there's some hope here. Did she have? Did Debbie? I know I'm asking you questions that I probably don't have the right to ask, but I'm just trying to put on trying to put my no. I know that, and you'll probably be able to answer most of it, because I'm sure there's nothing I could ask you that you wouldn't have anticipated. Did she have any close friends that that that she that the police have talked to or talked to at the time, Because if she did, let us say, get out of the car and just was fed up and decided that she was going to go off and do some other life, I got to assume that she would have she had kids. I mean, the kids couldn't have and she's twenty five. The kids couldn't have been that old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, her she had two young kids that she absolutely adored, absolutely adored, and that that was one thing that that's come up again and again. And her mother, who sadly passed away, you know, before knowing you know what happened to her daughter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, her mother.
Speaker 3: It was very adamant that Debbie wouldn't have left gone anywhere without the children, her two kids. And you know, there's a lot of tragedy has followed the family too, since her stepfather was beaten to death and it actually got into a fight with a guy over Debbie's disappearance, like an argument. He ended up dying and her mother passed away, and also her son, Louis Junior, passed away not too long ago as well. So it's a really sad story.
Speaker 1: Louis Junior natural causes or.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. So I had just to respect the family's privacy, but I get that he was hot broken, you know, really sad case. And if anybody you know is in the Taunton area that wants to participate in the vigil, you know, tomorrow night, it's happening from six to eight at Memorial Pack And you know, if anybody has any information at all, maybe you remember something, maybe you saw something on Root eighteen or something in Taunton or anything, you know, please contact authorities. And also too, if you don't mind me giving a shout out to the Globe Case Cold Case Files newsletter.
Speaker 1: Sure absolutely we're going to be.
Speaker 3: You know, putting Debbie's story out there on the newsletter and you can sign up for it at Globe dot Com. Forward Slash Cold Case Files.
Speaker 1: Do that one a little more slowly so everybody can take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Emily, Okay, so it's Globe dot Com Forward Flash Cold Case Files.
Speaker 1: I never know the difference between a forward in a backwards slash. They all look the same to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you know those URLs, you know.
Speaker 1: No, no, I get it, but I've they look to me like it's angled from northeast to southwest all the time. So I don't know if that's the full to the backward, but I've never seen anything that goes in any other direction, So I just say slash anyway. Emily, thanks for the work you do, and I'm just hoping that someone can can you know, for the sake of the family, and for the sake of her child that has left, and for her husband, that this case can get solved. Thanks so much, deep appreciate it very much. Okay, we love having you on the show, trust me, and we'll see you in a couple of weeks and we'll talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, Dan, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks, And if I don't talk to you, have a great fourth of July. Okay, have fun, Oh you too, Thanks Emily. When we get back, we're going to talk with a very famous archaeologist. He's an Egyptian archaeologist, former Minister of and Antiquities in Egypt, doctor Zahi Hawaas. This is going to be a really interesting conversation.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he's going to be speaking in Boston next month on July ninth at the Western Seaport, So I think you'll be very interested to hear what he has to say back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio. Night Side Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm delighted to welcome doctor Zahi Hawas. He is an Egyptian archeologist. He's an Egyptian pologist and former Minister of Tourism and Antiquities in Egypt. That's quite a title, doctor Haas, Welcome to Nightside. How are you tonight?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. I'm fine. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So you were coming to Boston. You you've been to Boston before, but you are coming back. You're on a tour of about thirty may cities in the United States and three cities in Canada. You'll be in Boston on July ninth. We'll talk about that later, but this is a tour in which you basically bring archaeology to life. You are considered the world's most famous archaeologist. I know this is a foundational question, but have you spent your entire life exploring and discovering archeological sites.
Speaker 4: It's fifty fifty eight years now working inside the pyramids and the Kings, making major important discoveries that I'm here now to reveal it to the public for the first time.
Speaker 1: I'd love to ask you a question to which I'm sure there is not a simple answer, but it's one that has always intrigued me. I have never been to Egypt, but I'm fascinated by the ancient history from my day is as a high school student. Can you explain to me in layman's terms, how these pyramids were ever built, both from a construction point of view, how they could have been built at that time without the machinery that we have today with such precision.
Speaker 4: You know, you have to understand one important thing that the pyramid was the national project of the whole nation. The three millions who lived in Egypt participated in building the pyramid to make the king as a guid then the households an upper and lower Egypt sinned workforce and food to help be the king. We have an important discovery. I found the tombs of the pyramid builders that tills us important facts. Number one, the pyramids built by Egyptians and number to the real slaves. And the most important discovery that we made is the Wedding Rezorf papyri. Written evidence for the first time tells us about building the pyramid, how they cut the stones, how they transported the stones, how they built the case of stones. Then what we discovered until now that the base of the Greek pyramid were cut down in the solid rock to be about twenty eight feet of solid rock. All the stones for building the pyramid came from the south side, one thousand feet from the south of the base of the pyramid. Means that many people thought that stones came from Torah, twenty five miles to the east. No stones came from Gisa plateau next door to the Great Pyramid, and the egypt established to transport the stones, and we discovered remains of this ramp from the quarry located to the south west corner of the Great Pyramid of Kufu.
Speaker 1: Give me an understanding, doctor howas and again, I know I'm asking questions that we don't script questions here, but all of us have in our minds. You know how old the United States is, and we we believe that those of us who happened to be Christian believed that Jesus walked the earth two thousand years ago. We believe the earth is five billion years old. On a timeline, when were the pyramids built? I'm sure that there's not a calendar per se, but what is the best guest estimate if you will are estimate.
Speaker 4: We we do have the exact date or building the pyramid. It's six hundred BC, thousand and eight, six hundred years ago. And you have to know that the Gate Pyramid is not the only pyramid in Egypt. We have one hundred and twenty pyramids in Egypt. And in my lecture I talk about the secrets that I revealed inside the Gate Pyramid using very sophisticated techniques. We found voids inside the pyramid, Big voice one, vomid above the grand gallery inside Kufu Pyramid the size of two tracks, Big one. We found a corridor by them, an entrance masuor important discoverages happened for the first time using very sovestigated techniques. Technology reveals lots of secrets about Kufu Pyramid. And this what I'm talking in my lecture tool about how I revealed the secret and the things.
Speaker 1: Now, I believe it or not, our radio station has heard literally across America. So I know this weekend you're speaking in Pittsburgh, and then you're going to be going to Columbus, Ohio, Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and you'll be in Boston on July ninth, and then you'll be down in Baltimore after Boston. So for anyone who's anywhere, certainly on the East Coast, it looks to me as if you're going to be in Virginia Beach, Virginia, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, DC before you go to Canada Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, and we have listeners in those cities as well. How can people get tickets? Not only for Boston, which sold out, They.
Speaker 4: Go to that, They go to the Lecture dot Com, the AHI lectures dot com. And I think today my lecture on Saturday in Pittsburgh, yes, will be number twenty.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, you're you're you're moving, you're getting You're a little past halfway through. But it's been an ambitious series. You You've spoken on the West Coast, in Texas, in Florida, uh and as they say, you're going to hit the Great Upper Midwood West. You're out in the Portland and Seattle early on Phoenix, Los Angeles. So I don't know how many people you're going to speak before, but you're going to speak before thousands at these thirty you know.
Speaker 4: At least in every lecture, I get like one thousand and five hundred people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're going to pay.
Speaker 4: We got like one hundred VIPs that I meet them to take photos with them and answer all the questions that they have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you you you sort of Yeah. People think of you as a modern day Indiana Jones.
Speaker 4: And you know when we when we do the investigation inside the Great Pyramid, we are thinking to do it live. And you know whom I wanted to be with beside me? Who you do this? Addison Harrison Ford.
Speaker 1: Well, Harrison Ford is still around, and I'm sure that he would love that opportunity. And uh, and I hope, I hope that comes to pass, Doctor Hawas. I just again want to thank you again. It's ZAHI Lectures, z A h I Lectures Plural dot com UH is your is the website UH and you can sign up and as they say, we have listeners all over.
Speaker 4: The United States.
Speaker 1: Powerful radio station Aer and I hope that someone some of the folks who might get up to see you in the next few days will say I heard you on night Side with Dan Ray at w b Z in Boston.
Speaker 4: Very much. They hoped in eypt one day I.
Speaker 1: Would be honored. I would be honored Doctor Zahi Hawas, Thank you, sir, I honored you. You be well. I thought, that's an interesting man. That is an interesting man. When we get back, we are going to talk some medicals issues about long term use of cannabis, which can be a problem. We'll talk about that at the other side of the news, and then we'll go to the other side of the news at the bottom. They are also talk with the Massachusetts based author about what impact will artificial intelligence have on writing, particularly writing of people who are novelists. We'll get to all of that. Remind you to pull down our our new and improved iHeart app. It's a marvelous device. It's free, it's available to you. You can put it on any of your devices, on your desktops, on your laptops, on your phones, your tablets. And one of the things you can do is when you get that and you put it on, make it make WBZ obviously your preset, your first preset, so we're only a fingertip away whether you're exploring the pyramids in Egypt or your back home sitting listening to Nightside on the radio. In addition to that, there's a special button there that you can find and just touch that button. You can leave us a thirty second message and tell us what you don't what you like about the show. Hopefully you can even tell us what you don't like about the show and what you'd like to hear more of. We're looking for you to be able to reach out to us, not only as phone calls. We always want to his phone calls, but we also want you to send us emails, information, ideas, suggestions. You're as much a part of this show as I am. I've said that for years, and I truly do believe it. Back on Nightside with more conversation, we will be heading after nine o'clock looking for phone calls because we're going to be talking about a stunning, stunning poll that was released early this morning of potential jurors in Norfolk County. I think the bottom line on this pole, when you look at it, the prosecution never had a chance in this case. It was overcharged. It was an overcharged prosecution from day one, and I think that the Norfolk County District Attorney will pay a pay a political penalty there. We'll get to all of that, I promise, and later on we'll talk about perhaps the most important decision Donald Trump will ever make his president and what he does regarding Iran. We'll get to all of that tonight. It's gonna be a great show coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: It's night Side with Dan Ray. Hey, Dann BZ Boston's news radio. If you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio, Well.
Speaker 1: If you been smoking some weed lately. With the mysterious illness on the rise for long term cannabis uses, its called cannabinoid hyper emesis syndrome CHS and can affect essentially anyone using cannabis. My guest is doctor seusshut Jaghi, Doctor guys John JUNGI. I hope I'm getting close on that pronunciation. Doctor. How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: That's pretty good? Yeah, thanks for inviting.
Speaker 1: Me, so tell us about that. I know that one of the TV stations in Boston is doing a big series this week. Actually, it's Channel five on the potency of the marijuana that people are being exposed to these days. As they they say, it's it's it's it's not your parents marijuana in terms of impact. Does this have anything to do with the new and improved marijuana that is out there these days or is this something that has always been around.
Speaker 5: No, I think you're right, I think this is something new. Basically, cannabis products, including marijuana, have gotten more potent over the past couple decades. Yeah, that's because of the amount of THHC, which is the active sort of psychoactive ingredient, has gotten more and more potent.
Speaker 1: And can just ask you real quickly before I got to ask this, ques, I am not a smoker, okay, I'm not a smoker of cigarettes. Nothing, okay, But has has the marijuana been developed scientifically to be stronger or has it become stronger naturally? I hear it all the time that it's more potent, But I'm wondering if that has been scientifically induced or if it was just a normal development.
Speaker 5: I think the potency has been increasing for commercial reasons to make it more syllable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, kind of what I thought just wanted to make just wanted to make it clear. Go ahead. I'm sorry to have interrupt you. I'm listening.
Speaker 5: So what you said initially is correct that this is actually a new disease that we're seeing called CCHS. The first description of it was back in two thousand and five, so it's overall pretty new disease. And CHS stands for cannabinoid hyper emesis syndrome, which means hyper emesis is vomiting, recurrent vomiting as a consequence of using cannabis. So patients who develop SHS usually have episodes of belly pain, nausea, and vomiting that they can't stop. It just keeps coming back.
Speaker 1: Now if they stop smoking. Is this something that once you get it, you can't get rid of it? Or I mean it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience if you get my drift.
Speaker 5: No, it's not. And I see some of these patients in my clinic. So you know, the difficult part of this disease is that you know, for a lot of people, cannabis actually gives relief from nausea at low doses, but it's once you start using it chronically, so you know, multiple times a day, for at least a year, then you start to develop this syndrome. So some people start to use more cannabis once they start getting sick, thinking it's going to cure them, but that sets them up into this kind of endless cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sort of like going from two packs a day to three packs a day of un filtered on camels because you someone think that will reduce your chances of getting one cancer, that's right.
Speaker 5: And then people people can kind of self cure this once they stop using any kind of cannabis. So it usually can take as long as six months of cessation from cannabis, so stopping the drug for more than half a year before the symptoms go away.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now my question is this, how can you function if you're if you're stoned, you know throughout most of the day. It sounds to me like you've got to And I don't want to encourage anyone to start, but it sounds to me like you've got to be a pretty heavy user for a period of time before before this hits you. Right, is what I heard you say? Am I right? Am I missing? Yeah? Bad?
Speaker 5: We tend not to see the condition in real casual users of cannabis. So if you're using it, you know, sporadically occasionally, it's unlikely to happen. Yeah, but we do see it in people use it once a day or once every other day for a sustained period of time. So you don't have to be someone that's you know, smoking pot like four or five times a day to get it.
Speaker 1: I think I read that or I heard on this Channel five report, the report of Mike Boydette is doing it just to give him, you know, journalistic credit. I think you said that the cannabis industry in Massachusetts is now an eight billion dollar industry. Our state budget is sixty two billion dollars. That's that's a pretty good size industry. I mean that true. There's gotta be a lot of people out there token it up, and any idea how many people have displayed these symptoms on a quantitative basis. You're a gastro Enterology is a tough medical center. Is there anyone in the public health department that's trying to keep track of this? We know how many people die of COVID every week. We know how many COVID cases the are every week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's a good question. Yeah, So we did in our study, we actually looked at about fifteen million ED visits between twenty twelve and twenty twenty one. And across those fifteen million ED visits, we saw that by the.
Speaker 1: Way, you're you're talking there about emergency department, not the other ED.
Speaker 5: Right, go ahead, no, correct, emergency department visits. So we looked at basically over fifty emergency departments across the state and between twenty twelve and twenty twenty one, we saw a tenfold increase in zhs over this time period. So it's a pretty significant change.
Speaker 1: Wow. And if that is true, that means that a lot more people are smoking and also probably driving on our roadways, which is uh, which is another problem that that we need, that we need to be concerned about. Yeah, this this whole cannabis experiment. It might be fine for the vast majority of people, but boy, there's a there's a certain group who just can't get enough until they are people able once they they they get this. I don't know if you if you call it a disease or a condition, I guess you call it a syndrome. Are most of them? It seems to me that people who are suffering from this once they're convinced that the cause of it is the the cannabis use that that they would just want to back away or or is this such something that people can't back away from.
Speaker 5: Well, you know it. It can be very hard to stop using cannabis once it becomes a habit. And you know, I have a lot of sympathy for people who are trying to stop. Sure, once once it becomes a part of your routine, like anything, it can be hard to quit. So we do have ways to try to help people quit if they want to, and that can include things like talk therapy or you know, setting people up with therapists, and sometimes we use certain medications that can help you kind of kick the habit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I have friends of mine who have been strung out on hard drugs okay, you know, heroin, you know, you know, artsy content and things like that, and they're dear friends of mine who have beaten it. But I'll say, anybody who can beat beat an addiction like this or any addiction, alcohol or whatever, my hat's off to them. I'm very sympathetic. But by doing this interview, hopefully, hopefully there's maybe one person out there who's going to back off their usage at least and avoid experiencing the symptoms that you have so eloquently described. Doctor, I hope says you taking the time tonight. Doctor, thank you, Jacques Junkie. Give give me the correct pronounce case. I want to make sure.
Speaker 5: It's it's Junie. It's not an easy name to say.
Speaker 1: That's okay, should Junkie? Okay?
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: They give me pronounces sometimes and the pronouncers aren't all that great, but thank you. Thank you for what you do. Doctor. I really mean that. And I keep in contact with you on this and if the situation gets worse, we can do it again. If it gets better, we can do it again.
Speaker 5: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much. Doctor. We'll gonna come back when we get back on and talk with Massachusetts based novelist Lori Gold. She's concerned about what role will artificial intelligence have in the writing industry for authors and aspiring authors. We'll talk with Lori Gold right after the break here on Nightside, Night.
Speaker 2: Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio. It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: You know those questions to which there's really no answer daddy. Why is the sky blue? What's the meaning of life? Here's another one. Would you read a novel written completely by artificial intelligence? That's what author Laurie Gold has been asking audiences at her book events, and it's something that writers have to think about because writers are artists and AI does create can create books. Matter of fact, I recently read that there was a site where you could go when you could write a book about someone with AI, which sounds crazy, but AI's coming, said train coming down the track, and we either got to deal with it or get out of the way with us. As Lori Gold her latest novel, Romantic Friction, based on that concept, Laurie, Welcome to Nightside. How are you hello, Laurie?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 3: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I can hear you?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What sort of a headset are you on?
Speaker 6: I am on just a normal iPhone headset? Is it okay? I can take it out if that's well.
Speaker 1: Headsets don't really work for us, but let's try to try to work with it. There can be a delay, which I think maybe we just experienced. So tell us as an author, obviously, you have a new book called Romantic Friction based on the concept, and make it very clear you did not use AI in writing this book, but your main character faces this dilemma. Explain to my audience, most of whom are not authors or writers, Explain why this is so important to writers.
Speaker 6: Well, I think AI in the creative space is very different than the uses that many people in business are using AI for. So if you use AI to help you with math, or to better design the furniture on your deck, or to do some coding, or to help you design a web site, it's it's not necessary that it's doing road tasks, but it's doing tasks that don't come from a creative bent, from a creative soul. And I think we associate all forms of art really, whether it's writing, painting, photography, movies. You know, AI could write a movie script, but we associate forms of art with human intention, with trying to get across a message or a theme, or experience an emotion and have others have it resonate to others. And I think it's very hard to think of a machine doing what we humans do when it comes from a place of emotion.
Speaker 1: Well, we know that AI is going to put a lot of people's jobs on the sidelines sadly, but that's the reality. Just like those those guys that used to shoe horses. Before the arrival of the automobile, there were there were a lot of blacksmiths out there, not as many today. How can authors fight back? I mean, if let us say someone assumes a pen name and secrecy and privacy and anonymity or some non de plume, and we can't tell if they are an actual writer or if they have some all been able to manipulate AI. We can't outlaw this practice. How do authors fight it? Well?
Speaker 6: I think what's interesting with what you said is what you're saying is the basis of people being opposed to it. And I think that's the biggest fear that we have as creators and as authors. Will the marketplace just accept a book written by AI. In my book Romantic Friction, another author uses AI to write in the style of my main character, Sophie Wilde, and it's not canceled, it's embraced by the media, and she's called innovative, and she's trending on the press. And I wonder if that is the future, if people will just accept written books written by AI. But if that's not the case. You know, the marketplace can decide based on their dollars and what books they buy and what books they don't buy. Right now, what's going on in terms of fighting it is there are many lawsuits against AI companies, both led by journalists and was led by authors against the companies that have used creative works to train their AI, and it's now in the courts to decide it is copyright infringement. So this is the first step that's going on right now, including a very big case against Meta, which is the owner of Facebook and Instagram authors alleging that Meta used pirated books to train its AI, knowing they could have purchased those books to train their I, and decided to take them from an illegal, pirated database of books and use it to train their AI. And this is what's in the course right now.
Speaker 1: So wait a sec. So what you're saying is that the fact that they pirated these books, if they had gone to a bookstore or to Amazon and purchased the books and use the books for the same purpose to train AI, that they would have been exempt from a lawsuit.
Speaker 6: I do not think they would have been exempt. It would have been better had they actually paid for it because the issue is allegedly they have used these books without permission and without compensation. So it's a duel, many faceted lawsuits. But at least if they had paid for it, it would have combated one issue of taking the books illegally, and there are court documents that say they knew they took the books illegally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the other thing. I think the other thing a lot of people probably don't realize that is that copyrights actually run out, so high school teachers can teach William Shakespeare and Shakespeare and his heirs have no no, no cause of action for that because you copyrights expire.
Speaker 6: Sure, but we have a long time. My belief is it's like one hundred years or so. So all of the books that were many of the books, I will say.
Speaker 1: To the majority, I understand that, I understand that.
Speaker 2: AI.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else writers on masks can do.
Speaker 6: I think it's making it aware, you know, being able to talk to people like you and have this discussion out in the open and put it in front of the people who consume our entertainment. It's part of why I wrote Romantic Friction to you know, have this conversation in front of the people who care about books and care about reading the future of our entertainment. So I think it's time to just start having these discussions with one another and see where do we draw the line. You know, it's not a question of what the technology can do, it's a question of what we should do with it. And these are more moral and ethical questions that I really want to be having people spark the conversation about and be talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other thing is that different levels of literature appeal to different people. I mean, there are some people who will sit and read you know what, I hate to used this word, but trashy novels, and that's that's their thing. Someone else might want to read historical novels, which are a little more highbrow and very much the marketplace will decide that. And if there is a trashy ai novelist out there who gains a foothold, who gains a following, that could be a real that could be a real problem for for for potential novelists who like to write, you know, books that are kind of you know, at at a base of the reading pyramid. If I can use that.
Speaker 6: Metaphor, absolutely, But I also think like technology is continuously improving. When I started writing this book in twenty twenty three and I plugged into play what could AI do?
Speaker 3: It was not very good.
Speaker 6: Two years later I played with it, It's gotten better. So you know the level of writing for it will only get better and better and approach what humans can do. I have no doubt for that, and I think you know, at some point we just have to start deciding do we want it labeled as such? And that's another part of the conversation when you ask what authors could do right now? There aren't parameters. My publishing contracts with Harpercollums didn't have me sign anything. Let's say I wrote this and AI didn't. But those are probably some of the past we need to go down. And is there a level of transparency that needs to happen, especially as the technology gets better and better?
Speaker 1: All great questions to which there are no answers as of this moment. We'll have to have you back when some of the answers appear. Massachuset based author Lori Gold her book Romantic Friction. That might be something you might want to put in the summer reading list because it might portend our future. Laurie appreciate your time tonight. You're very thoughtful, very thoughtful.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me you very well.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Good Night you too,