Speaker 1: You're listening to k I AM six forty the Bill Handles Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, here's Wayne Resnick. I AM six forty five everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good Morning, everybody. It's the Bill Handles Show. He is back from vacation on Monday. I'll be here until nine o'clock. The morning crew is here. We start with running the board in for Kono. It's Robin. Good morning. I don't believe I have ever even seen you before.
Speaker 3: I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: Well, nice to see you. Thank you for your help earlier with that thing. Just don't say what it was. There was a thing, and she helped me with it. It's all anybody needs to know. Hey, Anne is so heartbroken that I won't be hosting next week that she couldn't even bear to come in today. Is that what it is? Yes? And therefore we have the executive producer of KFI, the former producer of this morning show for eighty seven years producing the Bill Handle Show, Michelle Cube. Good morning, Good morning. I am so terribly sorry about your mets. I am so sorry you're not I'm not no listen, I can be sorry without myself being upset about it. I'm not saying I share your sorrow. I'm saying I'm sorry you're experiencing sorrow.
Speaker 4: All I have to say is that you have to show up and play. And they're not showing up and playing a better show up tonight.
Speaker 2: Well they're gonna Look here's the problem. They showed up every game. Yeah, so showing up is not.
Speaker 4: Enough, But you got to show up and play.
Speaker 2: Yes, they might have been better off if they had tried to play not showing up. Wayne.
Speaker 3: I think what Michelle was talking about is the universal sports language of you got to show up. You have to give one hundred and ten percent. You have to go for the w. You have to take it to the paint. I think that's what.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to be there. You have to be there to win. Yeah, not just we're here to win. It's not about being present. It's about being present in the fullness of your sports news.
Speaker 4: Look, the miracle Mets have shown up before when they have been down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a possibility.
Speaker 3: Listen, You've lived out here way longer than you lived in New York. Doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Sake doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Let it go.
Speaker 2: Let people be a fan of what they want.
Speaker 3: You know what, the fust thing about New York is, you can live here twice. As long as you live in New York, you're still a New Yorker. You go and then a Californian goes to New York. They lived there for six months and they're like, I'm a New Yorker.
Speaker 2: No you're not. It's just say it's I just hold on, I need to say something to Robin. It's not me. I'm not even connected to what you're having a problem with.
Speaker 3: What the hell's going on?
Speaker 5: There's an echo?
Speaker 3: What what.
Speaker 2: Amy? It might be you?
Speaker 5: It's not me.
Speaker 2: Oh I couldn't I think it? Yes, it was you, Robin. Everybody, everybody right now, talk all at the same time. Robin, let us know if there's still an echo. Everybody start talking about something sucks with their customer service.
Speaker 3: And that's why no longer legally allowed in Florida.
Speaker 5: This is why I need Anne here, because Michelle doesn't turn on my little iPad.
Speaker 2: Said, Robin is the echo? Gun okay, Amy King the culprit of the listen. We have all we have all been the culprit amy. It doesn't it does not in any way diminish anything, Amo King. Oh, we've all been the culprit. You just happen to be the culprit now. Let's oh Neil, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning. I'd like to see it this way, Wayne. When there's an echo for Amy, the woman is so nice, we need to hear her twice.
Speaker 2: That's very good and technically good morning Amy King. Well, good morning Wayne. Okay, the formalities have been dispensed with, the technical gremlins have been solved. Michelle has been uh forced to wrestle with the humanity of being a fan of a terrible team. And I think we're ready to start handle on the news with Amy King and Neil and me, and here we go lead story. Well, Israel has confirmed that they did in fact kill Hamas leader ya Ya Sidwar. They didn't even know they had killed him until later. Here's what happened. How far, Michelle, how far back do I have to pull out? Let me pull back all the way. Israel and Hamas have been fighting each other forever and then October of last year, Hamas launched a very vicious attack on Israel and killed a lot of people and took a lot of hostages, and then Israel launched a massive, massive offensive in Gaza, which has been going on now for thirteen months. More recently, there was a training unit out of Israeli soldiers, a unit that trained soldiers to be like platoon leaders, and they happened to see three armed men come out of a building and they fired blam blam, blam, blam blam, and one of those men ran into a building. So they sent to dr into that building to look around. And there's some guy sitting in a chair, and you know what, he doesn't look like he's in very good shape at this point. I would also like to point out that the inside of this building is terrible. I'm not talking about the decor. I mean it has already clearly been hit with fire and bombs, and it's all messing there. And he's sitting in a chair. He kind of looks like he's already been wounded. And the drone is looking at him. And this guy he has a stick in his hand and he looks at the drone and in an act of defiance that he did not know would be his final act of defiance, he throws the stick at the drone. Then blam blam blam. The building collapses. The next day, Israeli sifting through the rubble. Here's a body. Who is it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: It kind of looks like the leader of hamas Yah Yah Sinwar. Hmmm, let's check it against all of the information that we have on him, like his dental records and his DNA. Holy smokes, ladies and gentlemen, it is leader of hamas ya Ya Sinwar, totally dead, right there in the rubble, right there in front of us. And that's how it went down. Now at seven, I got a couple of things for you. One, how did they have his dental records and his DNA and all of those things? Well, here comes a classic radio tiss. The answer will surprise you also. And also what's next because Israel has two choices now that they can make having killed the head of Hamas We'll get into all of the implications and that surprising reason they had all his stuff. At seven o'clock, were you doing, casey case somebody of the top forty to the top forty killings this wooding?
Speaker 3: Uh wow, that's insane. And the imagery there, the power of the imagery for a fight that's been going on for thousands of years technically, uh in one form or another of a stick against one of the highest technological advances in war is profound.
Speaker 2: It says. It says a few things. It says, how out, how how outgunned Hamas has always been, if you will, it also raises the question, given that how the hell have they been able to persist for so long?
Speaker 3: Well, terror is a very powerful tool. It's I find it to be more powerful than weapons of traditional resources. Wow.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's get some news from Amy King and then we will continue. And Michelle, you can excuse yourself from the next story because I will be upsetting to you.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Let's get back into Handle on the news then, Amy King, Neil Soy and me.
Speaker 5: Well, the boys in Blue are just one win away.
Speaker 2: Show.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 5: Otani hit a leadoff home run and scored four times last night. Mookie Betts also drove in four runs, and the Dodgers routed the New York Mets ten to two. They take a three games to one lead in the National League Championship Series. Dave Manager Dave manager Dave Roberts, the manager said, I love the way our guys haven't let off the gas. We don't want to give these guys any momentum.
Speaker 2: I agree that mean give them a little give them a little momentum.
Speaker 5: Ka Kay had momentum in game two.
Speaker 2: Uh, they did have, but then they were shut out and then they tend to too. And it's that's when you get into those games that you see in like middle school soccer league or something where some team is up eleven to nothing and you start to feel bad and you kind of go, just let them, let them score one or two.
Speaker 5: Why don't you, No, they don't feel bad in the in the major leagues.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fantastic news for Los Angeles baseball fans, we shall say.
Speaker 5: You know what wasn't fantastic is people who were watching it on Hulu last night. They had outages. The stream went them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they missed a great game and show. Hey, Otani is really earning his massive, unprecedented contract. That was a smart move by those Dodgers. Doesn't always work out. It's working out big time. Hey, Michelle Cube, you want to say anything about this story? No, if anybody doesn't know for whatever reason, Yeah, she's a Mets fans sitting there. I'll tell you what, man, The people involved in producing this show have fared poorly this playoff season because Anne is a huge Padres fan and that didn't work out for her in the Division series. You're a fan of the Mets, they're getting hammered. I'm starting to think having a KFI morning show producer as a fan of your team is some sort of curse.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Last night, Sho Heeo, Tani's old interpreter said, I bet the show's so mad.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Okay, I get it because he's in trouble for the gambling and the stealing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's move the handle jokes, all right. The scheduled execution of Texas death Row inmate Robert Robertson man so nice they nearly named him twice. What a horrible story. Murder of his two year old daughters. What he's accused of. His death sentence was halted by the Texas Supreme Court as they issued a partial stay late last night. So this has to deal one his death warrant was set to expire. But this has to deal with the fact that apparently Robertson's conviction relied specifically on the shaken baby syndrome diagnosis and his attorneys argue that that has been discredited and that this potential dirt bag was protected by that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the way the way that you say it makes me think you think that when they say shaken baby syndrome has been discredited, that that's not true. It has been discredited big time.
Speaker 3: No, I'm more simple than that. I'm man dead baby.
Speaker 2: Oh I say, it doesn't matter how even if even if the baby committed suicide, you're gonna still the manager.
Speaker 3: That's not the case.
Speaker 2: But yeah, speaking of fathers and children, Amy, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Keeping it all in the family. Father and his fourteen year old son have both been indicted by a grand jury on murder charges tied to the school shooting in Georgia at Appalachi High School in Winder, Georgia or because I don't know if it's Wind or Winder, but Cold Gray, who's fourteen, was indicted on fifty five counts, actually more than that, because there's a murder killing, the two students, aggravated assault because there were several students were also injured. And then dad got indicted too.
Speaker 2: This is there. There's really a PUSHNIW across the country of prosecutors trying to hold these parents responsible when their kids go off like this. You have to have something more than just you're the parent. You know, the case in Michigan that you remember there were the parents knew that there were problems for quite some time and not only didn't do anything, but if I recall correctly, we're somewhat encouraging of their of their son having guns. And then here it's the same thing that there were repeated problems with this kid that were the parents could have done more, and that's the theory under which they're prosecuted. Did We'll see how it goes. I don't I feel the way about this that you feel about when a father and a baby and the baby dies. There's a parent and there's a kid, and there's and the kid does a mass shooting like this, I feel the same way you feel, which is too bad, so sad for the parent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of those lies you can tell when they're involved like that. These were very clear cases. It's not just like get them all, take out the entire family line and get the dog too. You know when you're going I know things are rough on you. I know you've drawn some pretty ugly things and said some things on the internet. Here's a weapon, and it's like okay, yeah, it's not like, well, you know, he was a latch key kid. All righty oh, you're gonna go.
Speaker 2: I was gonna I was gonna transition to the next story, and you already went to the next story. So you're anticipating my every need like an attentive lover. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Watch this. You didn't know about this, did you? Alrighty uh? You know, when you smile, they can be infectious. So this is what they're finding in a study that it's like a virus that people smile more when other people smile at them. But logically, this creates what we refer to as an infinite regression. Who was the first smile that created the chain of smiles? Someone has to smile without being smiled at for the smile to continue to go viral. So we're looking for I guess the viral monkey of smiles that started the smile.
Speaker 2: Virus Patient zero. Yes, this is a really simple experiment. They got some people and they said, hey, you're going to talk to somebody. You're gonna have a conversation with somebody, and the somebody's were part of the study and the somebody's The listeners were told, like, you don't smile. You when that guy's talking to you, smile a lot, you smile medium amount. And then they looked at how often the talker, who does not know that the other person's been told how much to smile, how much did they smile? And what they saw was if the other person didn't smile, they didn't smile, and if the other person smiled a lot, they smiled a lot. So how much we smile depends on how much everybody around us is smiling. I have one more question on this story. If you break the smile chain, do you then experience terrible bad luck? Ooh like a smile chain letter. M yes, let's hang a light on that joke. Let's hang a big old kleag light right on that joke and throw a spotlight on it in fifty Fronel's as well. And I set all of that just for the theater nerds out there. Then go, he knows the different theater lights.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you talked about snoops and barn doors and a gobo.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's the Bill Hand Show. And he's on vacation and he's back Monday, and I'm Wayne Resnik and we're doing Handle on the News. By the way, I did give out the real call in numbers, but nobody's going to don't. Nobody's going to answer them. They will ring and ring and ring and ring, So don't bother.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Neil Savatre is here, Amy King is here. Robin is in today on the board. Not Robin Bertalucci.
Speaker 5: That'd be fun. We should invite her to do that one day.
Speaker 2: Well, I like Robin Berdelucci very much, but I am fairly certain that she does not know the first thing about controlling all of that complicated equipment. But Robin, is it made Barretto? Is that I always say your name Berto Maid? Okay, sorry, I reversed the hyphenitz, but I was. But at least I knew what they were, So that's pretty good. It's better listen. It's better than you'll get from Bill. And everybody knows I'm right anyway, you know everything about how to control the stuff. Michelle Cube is here producing the show in for Ann. Let's continue with Handle on the News for all you loved ones out there. A man has been charged by the Feds. These are federal charges distributing drugs resulting in death because he did deliver drugs to somebody and a woman died of an od in Lancaster. But there's a wrinkle here. The drugs were delivered by a drone, and so Christopher Patrick Laney, whose nickname is Craney, also faces four counts of knowing and wilfully operating an unregistered aircraft and further into a felony narcotics crime that is a wildly specific statute, and some other drug stuff, and also one of these possessing a firearm in further into a drug trafficking crime, which we used to just call those ninety four seas because it's EIGHTENUSC ninety four seed and that right there, that all by itself is a prison, mandatory prison consecutive to what whatever else might happen to you. So this is these are these are freedom ending charges for this guy. Should he be convicted of everything, And I mean, I don't know what else to say about it, except it's not unusual anymore for drug traffickers to use drones to deliver drugs. I have a question. He should have just registered the drone and he wouldn't have those charges hanging over his head. Yes, I will accept your question.
Speaker 4: What if did they see him flying the drone? I mean could His defense attorney argued that nobody saw him flying the drone, that it may have been owned by him, but no one saw him flying it.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is that they seized the authority seized the drone and can use the video that the drone recorded ok as part of their evidence. So not to mention. Then they went to his house and there was a fentanyl and methmphetamine there and he had an AR fifteen style rifle. Two handguns, oh, which they say were who's gonna fill in the blank. The two handguns they found were what guns? Blank guns? Yes, Neil ding Ding Yeah, this is not this is I'm just gonna say, this is not a good guy. You know why these allegations. I feel he's not a good guy?
Speaker 3: Hey, Wayne, Hey Wayne? Hey Wayne? You know why I said ghost guns?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's almost Halloween.
Speaker 2: Oh that Halloween might look a little different this year, at least in one aspect. Isn't that right? Amy King?
Speaker 5: Move over, Hershey's in Milky Way and Snickers. According to experts, you're gonna see more tart fruity sweets for trig or treaters this Halloween. Halloween treats of the non chocolate confection category are showing up. Part of it's because cocoa prices are higher, so candymakers are putting out other stuff that's less expensive. So we can expect to see Twizzlers, ghosts, rocks, mellow cream out of leaves, sour patch kids, apple harvest, nerds, candy corn, and Skittles shriekers. I agree, give me a Reese's peanut buttercut butterfinger.
Speaker 3: We've gotten soft Wayne, thanks Obama. You know it's not only though.
Speaker 2: There's another reason besides the higher prices of cocoa. It's the kids, because apparently, like gen Z, they are more into the sour and fruity candies.
Speaker 5: Well, they've been taught wrong.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 3: Dumb generation.
Speaker 2: Every generation thanks the youngins to have it wrong. And here we go again. Let's get some news from Amy King and then, speaking speaking of candy that is not chocolate, when we come back, Neil's going to tell you about what happened to some kids at the middle school in Studio City.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Bill Handle on Demand from KFI AM six four.
Speaker 2: We're going to finish up Handle on the news.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't get a toy gun these days without having some sort of bright orange tip, but you could make bad stuff and make it look like candy. As many as seventeen students at a middle school in Studio City, walter Reed Middle School to be exact, were medically evaluated after possibly consuming a banned substance in the shape of a gummy bear. So it's unclear, although I think we all have a pretty good idea exactly what the substance was that was consumed. It was not fentanyl, thank god. But the fire officials reported a total of seventeen patients too were transported to the hospital. The rest were released to their parents where they ate tons and tons of doritos.
Speaker 2: I am agine, listen, I guess the police and the fire depart man and they have to be circumspect. But somebody got a hold of mom or dad's pot gummies and brought them to school, and then the kids ate them, and then boy did they wish they hadn't eaten them. That's what happened, and it happens a lot. Well, if you're gonna sell a heavy duty intoxican that looks like candy, this is what's gonna happen. And here's the thing. Do we agree. Let's let's see if we can reach an agreement here so everybody can say, uh, give me you know the a's or the or the na's. Is that how they do it in cous Does everybody agree that cannabis should be for adults only? Yes? Yes, all right, yay? Does everybody agree that an adult an adult person doesn't need their their medicine or their fun, whatever it is. They don't need it to look like candy to get them to take it. Yeah boom, No need for pot gummies. There don't need to be pot gummies. What what thirty five year old investment banker is like, I really want to get high this weekend, but uh, it's got to be in the form of a gummy or I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 5: It reminds me of those Harribou gummy commercials, you know what, the adults that chocolate kids.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah whatever. I'm not trying to be a I'm not puritanical about it at all. I think pot is great, but I get in the shape of a pot leaf. Then it doesn't need to be in gummy for listen, you have the plant itself that you can what roll in a joint, or you can use a bong, or you can use a vaporizer. You have edibles in the form of capsules that you can take if you don't want to smoke or put any kind of vapor into your lung. And speaking of vaping, you can vape cartridges with cannabis oil in them. There are lutions that you can rub on yourself and cannabis will see will seep into your skin. There's many ways to ingest cannabis. We don't need ways that look like food. Thank you. So a super secretive spaceship is going to go above our heads and do some interesting and crazy things. We are talking about an X thirty seven b orbital test vehicle. I just call him Henry. This is an experimental space plane operated by guess which branch of the military operates the space plane. Come on, that's easy, Space Force, Yes, thank you, Amy. Now we don't really know what it's for. It looks cool and it's gonna do a cool thing when it goes on this test flight. It's gonna do what they call aerobraking, and this is where you make some passes around the planet and you use the drag of Earth's atmosphere. The resis distance of Earth's atmosphere to change your orbit, so you don't have to use in much fuel to move around and steer yourself. Space force Tokyo drift. Yeah, they're saying it might have something to do with satellites. But we might maybe helping satellites or maybe going up and disengaging certain satellites that we don't want to be operating. It's just not clear why. That's why it's secretive. By the way, if I set a secretive space plane operated by space forces going up and here's exactly what it does, then it wouldn't be secretive, would it.
Speaker 3: It looks like they told a ten year old this is one of our previous space shuttles. Redraw it make it look spacier. Yes, I got two fins on the back, still the same colors.
Speaker 2: It looks like a toy blown up to size. It definitely does meow a good kiddie.
Speaker 5: A little team of animal scientists at Azabu University in Japan has found that house cats can associate human words with images without giving them a treat. Apparently so. In their study, the group tested volunteer cats. How do they know the cats volunteered, did they raise their path? They looked at images on a computer screen to see if they form association between the images and spoken words. And then other research has shown that cats know when a human is speaking their name, and they respond different when they hear than when they.
Speaker 2: Hear other words. How do they dogs?
Speaker 5: Well, dogs are smarter.
Speaker 2: Ouch.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm a cat person, but I mean as far as like smarter, as as meaning like how they react to people.
Speaker 3: My question was, how do you know when they ignore you that they're ignoring the name versus the other words? Because again, cats don't care what you call them. They're gonna do what they want.
Speaker 5: They are they do. Mine does come when I call her name one hundred times?
Speaker 3: Though, Michelle, what are what are cats? I will demons that steal the breath of children while they sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's see if possibly we we can instead of fighting about an animal, let's see if we can agree on a different kind of animal.
Speaker 3: Well, uh, so you're you know, stomping around in the jungles of Madagascar, and you got your research team and you go, hey, here's seven new species of frogs. What are we ever gonna name them? And then one goes and you think. One guy in the back goes, let's name him Theremon And they go, no, that's stupid. What show theme had a theremon in it? And they said, how about that sci fi show star Trek. Yeah, let's name them after people from that show. So you got Kirk Picard, Cisco, I guess, Jane way Archer, Burnham Pike. And now these seven frogs have sci fi names. And the thereman continues to go underappreciate it.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, we are going to finish with this story. Love the story. Now I'm gonna be pedantic for a second. Okay, just whatstand because there's some people who are very pedantic about things I want to get out of the way that I want to get something out of the way for the pedance out there. I know that irony refers to language, so speaking something or conveying something through language that is the opposite of what you really mean, and that therefore, technically circumstances or events are not ironic. Having acknowledged that this is a great example of irony, as we use it loosely in society. They built a brand new fire station in Germany, in Stateleedorf, and it burned down twenty million dollars in damage. And the reason this happened, first of all, there were lithium ion batteries on one of the vehicles and they were plugged in and they and it blened down. But the reason it burned all the way down because the fire station didn't have a fire alarm system. And you want to know why it didn't have one.
Speaker 5: Why didn't have one?
Speaker 2: Because you might think, oh, they just built it, right, it was new, and they didn't have they were it was pending, they didn't put it in yet. No, here's why it didn't have one, because the experts that built the fire station didn't think a fire alarm system was necessary.
Speaker 3: Well, well, who would what are you gonna do? Is it gonna go off? And then a fire team from somewhere else come? You have the fire team right that they're already there.
Speaker 2: Oh man, all right, Well that's that's a thing that happened.
Speaker 3: The place you'd think you didn't need it.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you're on the side of these dumb Germans. You know how garious it's. It's it's patently wrong, no matter what that you don't have a fire alarm system, you know, in any building, a firehouse, stop it, it's an alarm, just a clock. All right, Let's get some news from Amy King and then yes, the leader of Hamas is very very dead. Right now, how did it happen? And what would Israel's next best step?
Speaker 1: B you've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app