Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to me buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom.
Speaker 2: How's it going.
Speaker 3: Ye, I've been out of town, missed the first couple of Ohiosday practices. Thankfully back back home back ready to go to practice number three. But before we get there, I hear you have some calm, measured and well reasoned thoughts on what I have missed the first two days. I can't wait to hear all.
Speaker 1: Yes, calm, well reasoned. That is why I'm calling them overreactions. And this first show we're gonna talk about my defensive overreactions, and then the second show we'll talk about the offensive overreactions defensively and the great thing about overreacting. At this point, we've seen two practices, no pads, no tackling, very limited in terms of what they're putting on the field in terms of scheme. But hey, as I'm writing over at Buckeinsiders dot com right now about this very topic, sometimes you need to have bravery. Sometimes you need to be courageous, and you need to step out there and let people know what might be happening. And if it doesn't, I already warned myself that this is like not a thing you should do. So with that all being said, tom My first overreaction here is I'm not sure that Christian Legro is going to leave the field now. In the three linebacker sets he's playing on a line of scrimmage at SAM and two linebacker sets, he's right next to Peyton Pierce at will, which leads me to speculate, overreact, react, perhaps perhaps underreact really that he's going to be on the field a bunch and he's he's playing both spots, just as R. Val Reice did. Tom, I don't recall how much did R. Val Reese leave the field last year. It wasn't much. And again I'm not saying Christian Aleegro is R val Reice. I'm saying it looks like he's playing that same position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting because he was someone where we were sort of, you know, felt like you knew what Peyton Pierce was and everything else was going to be a little bit of a mystery.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm I'm.
Speaker 3: Still very intrigued to see Riley Petty John on Saturday because I and I have heard some good things about him early on, which you know that that's going to probably be a factor in terms of who's playing, how much and where. But I'm not shocked to hear that Allegro is doing a lot of different stuff because he did a lot of different stuff at Wisconsin as well, and he comes in he is in a room that is on the younger side. Peyton Pierce would be his first year as a full time starter, and guys like Riley Petty John, TJ. Alfred, they were true freshman last year. Christian Legro kind of is the old head in that room, even though he's new to Ohio States. So I guess that's not a huge surprise that he would potentially be someone who would be very very high on the list of guys in terms of snapcounts this year.
Speaker 1: The first day, the first practice, I really only saw Riley Petty John Sam on the line of scrimmage and right there attached. On the second day he was now off the ball as well, playing that well, showing that they are cross training in which was to be expected. That's what they do with TJ. Alfred did it in the spring as well, and so Peyton Pierce talked about how they want everybody to be able to do that or most of the guys because Peyton Pierce isn't doing it, Garrett Stover isn't doing it, like the truth that the MIC's and the defense aren't doing it. And I don't think I've seen Eli Lee doing it. I don't think i've seen Sincere Johnson doing it. So but if you're gonna play Will, they kind of also want you to be able to play Sam, I think a little bit. And so Riley Petty John. I'm fascinated to see where he falls into there because he's going to play somewhere like he's going to be in there at times. And I'll say the same thing for tj Alford because right now tj Alford is running with the ones when they have three linebackers. He's the will when they have three linebackers. It just feels to me like somehow, some way, maybe it's Alfred and Petty John rotating or something like that. But I think Christian Legro is going to be out there a lot. But I also think they want to play those two young guys because if you don't, you might lose them.
Speaker 3: Well, you might lose him, But also you want if they're ready, you want to play him. You want to get these guys out. You want to have as many guys ready as you can because you know, we talk about the need to rotate guys at running back, for example, but you need to do that everywhere because it again you all the same stuff we talk about with the running backs or with the wide receivers or with the corners or whatever. Having more guys ready to play. If someone gets hurt, great, you got someone else who's ready to play. If you're keeping guys fresh and rotating him, that keeps them healthier over the course of the year. So there's lots of benefits to it, and you want to be you know, in addition to the if they're on the roster and they're ready to play, you should play them because then they will stick around potentially for the next season. You know, they already see the path to the playing field and all that. So yeah, I would not be surprised if you saw for maybe five linebackers playing a good number of snaps this year. You know, I'm not I don't think that's going to be four guys playing thirty snaps a game or anything like that. But I think you might see four, maybe five guys at least playing you know ten twelve fifteen snaps a game.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say our exces nos guys Michael Pettitt and Ross Fulton over at Buckeyinsiders dot Com on a message board are not happy about the possibility of a linebacker rotation. They they are opposed to it. They think it's you know, and I'm I'm not mocking them. I'm saying they're exces and nose guys. I just stayed a holiday and express. But there's certainly some concern about going in and out and then still maintaining the feel and the timing and all of that. But I don't know four they can. It's four guys too many, I guess. As the question there, that's something that James Lornidis and Matt Patricia will have to answer, unless, of course, you can partmentalize and it's like you do this, this guy does that, and never the twain shall meet, right, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 3: That is the phrase, yes and for the twain shall meet and and yeah, I mean you may have guys who fit certain situational roles where someone is more of a third down guy, or with someone is better in past coverage or whatever it is, and so you may have guys who kind of carve out different roles that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so let's go to my next defensive overreaction. I think Jermain Matthews as you're starting nickelback, and I'm saying this knowing the first day of practice there was no nickelback. The second day of practice there was a nickelback, but as basically just corners until later on. Deshaun Stewart was also one of the Nichols, but outside of him, it was when I say corners, the corner types, you know, it's it's Jermaine Matthews, it's Jay Timmons, it is Miles Lockhart. And the reason I'm saying.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 1: Partly because it's not even because he's been with the WANs at nickel today on the on Friday, that was Jay Timmins for a good portion of it and then sometimes Jimmy Matthews. But Jermaine Matthews I think was mostly outside on day two. But Terry Moore has been with the twos and so the two safeties when they have had two, they've not yet played three safeties really with the ones, but they have played nickel and it's been with either like Jermaine Matthews or Jay Timmins. And so my thought here is that maybe Jermaine Matthews is more likely to be in the starting lineup right now than Terry Moore, which means that you know, you've got to find your best five, right tom So, then Jermaine Matthews is the nickel. He was the backup last year at nickel. Lorenzo Styles is gone, boom you put him in there. Earl Little is in the box as a box safety like Caleb Downs. Jayalen McLain plays the same position he did as last year deep safety. This all hinges on Dominic Kelly being ready just a true sophomore only a handful of games. Of course, Devin Sanchez I have no concerns about him at this point.
Speaker 2: What do you think this is so interesting?
Speaker 3: Because there are three possibilities.
Speaker 2: One is that.
Speaker 3: They feel like having a true corner at that nickel position is very important because of the coverage role, and it's hard even for a really good safety to be able to cover quite like a corner. Those are you know, there's just slightly different skill sets there that make you know, it's like taking a guard and a tackle and you know, there's slightly different body types and slightly different skill sets that you're looking for same thing with a corner into safety. So you know, maybe it's that maybe it's a you know, Dominic Kelly on one hand and Terry Moore on the other hand, and you're looking for your best five and again going back to the offensive line, who's your best five? And then you figure out how you align those five guys, and they're doing that on the offensive line right now, and you know, maybe it's who's your best five in the secondary, and they would be perfectly fine with putting Earl Little at nickel and Terry Moore at that sort of Caleb Downs type spot and then having Jermaine Matthews play outside. But it's just a matter of is Dominic Kelly part of your best five or is Terry Moore part of your best five. The third possibility, Tony, is that it's just second day and they're just kind of trying a bunch of different stuff, and that you know, you've got twenty whatever practices it is in the fall, and you know the stuff you try out, lots of stuff you throw. You know, the coaches have sat in rooms and talked about stuff for months and months and months and throw lots of stuff together, and they have a day where they just try you know, we're just gonna have to put the corners there and see see how it goes. So it's one of those three things. Probably, I don't I have no confidence in telling you which of those three things it is. I was fascinating, you know what, Matt Patricia. Well, so when we talked to Matt Patricia soon, I know so, yeah, I would be fascinated to hear his thought on how that you know, what's going into that decision.
Speaker 1: And it'll be interesting to see what he says and what he doesn't say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: Always.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just good to finally have you being the voice of reason on this show. I appreciate you dialing back my overreactions, and I throw in an overreaction two point five.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: I think Jay Timmins might be the starting nickelback because he's with the ones.
Speaker 2: They're getting a.
Speaker 1: Good look at him, and if he is, then that allows you to keep your your three rotating corners out there. I also think you could just see a return to the big nickel small nickel type of situation where Earl Little is your big nickel, Jermaine Matthews or j probably Jay Timmins is your is your small nickel. They did it in the past with Sonny Styles and Jordan Hancock. Maybe it's something like that, but you can't say maybe with an overreaction. So that's why it's a two and a half rather than just a two or three.
Speaker 3: Look who now understands the concept of boldness. What a different season this is going to be on the Buckeye Weekly podcast. Yeah, the j Timmins thing is really intriguing to me that he is one of the names that I am super super excited to see on Saturday because coming out of high school he was you know, we had this sort of five star pedigree, and then we saw him some in the spring and it was like, okay, sure, you could tell me this as someone who's going to be a contributor in the next year or so, and I could buy it absolutely. But you know, you got fifteen practices in the spring, but then you have all the summer and there's not official practices going on. But guys get a lot better between spring ball and the start of fall camp, especially true freshmen. A lot of them can take a big step.
Speaker 2: During that time.
Speaker 3: And I am really really interested to see what Jay Timmins looks like because they're not in a position where they have to have him in there, but if he's ready, we saw last year with Devin Sanchez Day one, Devin Sanchez was out there. He was at the you know, the dime. Maybe that's where Jay Temons fits in, where he's not, you know, he doesn't have to be the starting nickel to be a contributor or you know, relatively early in the season, even in bigger games.
Speaker 1: The last thing on this overreaction and I've been overreacting a little bit about the comparison that I have for Jay Timmans in terms of what we could see this year is Tom, do you remember Antoine Winfield as a freshman as a nickelback? Again, Hey, we're.
Speaker 3: Calling people that Orlando pays and I don't let you come people to Antoine Winfield. With all the things you've said about Antoine Winfield. I don't feel that's responsible.
Speaker 1: It's not it's irresponsible. And I think Antoine Winfield had like forty five tackles or something in the true freshman I don't expect that. I just you know, maybe how about this instead something more palatable like Malcolm Jenkins as a freshman as a nickelback or Nate Clements where they're out there a whole bunch. Even then that's expecting too much, but it's just interesting to see him out there so early. So those are my overreactions.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being, like I said, the voice of reason. I know, probably an unfamiliar feeling for you, and both the listeners and viewers like whoa Tom. This is a new Tom. I don't know if they're gonna like it, but if you like this video, you can hit the thumbs up and subscribe to the channel. If you've not done so, but I know you have, and those of you who haven't, please do so. Also would love to invite you over to Buckeye Insiders dot com. Now camp is going, the season is gonna be here, we're gonna be on the road, we're gonna be everywhere, and so it is a fantastic time to sign up and become a member.
Speaker 2: Would love to see you there.
Speaker 1: Got a great community going right now, looking to build it and I would love to have you be part of it.
Speaker 2: So that will do it from there. Thank you.
Speaker 1: All for tuning in and we will talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: Plat it. It's time. What about you let it through a way. Don't no one tell me I wish you never meant nothing to me. Mut where my fa if you can tell me that's the boy, it's all right. We can steal currently that